Speaker 1: Colson Media.
Speaker 2: This is it could Happen here Executive Disorder, our weekly newscast covering what's happening in the White House, the crumbling world of what it means for you. I'm Garrison Davis today. I'm joined by James Stout and Robert Evans.
Speaker 3: Hello, what's up? Everybody? Who's got ed us?
Speaker 2: You everybody, We're giving you ED this episode, we're covering the week of May twenty one to May twenty eight. It was a really busy news week for the latter half of that week, so we're going to be mostly catching up with that. Jesus, and let's start with the biggest news from late last week, domestically the shooting of two Israeli embassy staffers in Washington, DC. The shooting took place around nine pm on Wednesday, May twenty first, outside of event at the Capitol Jewish Museum. Prior to the shooting, the suspect was seen pacing outside of the building. According to witnesses and surveillance video, a thirty one year old man named Elias Rodriguez approached a group of four people leaving the event. As he walked past them, he turned to face their backs and shot two people and continued to fire as they felt the ground. One of the victims, a twenty six year old woman, tried to crawl away after being shot. Rodriguez followed her and fired again Jesus while he was reloading, She sat up, and then Rodriguez shot her several more times before throwing his gun into a bush. He ran into the museum after the shooting. Security let him in thinking that he was a victim. Witnesses say he appeared traumatized and in shock. People from the museum event brought him water, and when they asked him if he was okay or if he was injured, Rodriguez requested the police. When cops arrived, he allegedly admitted to shooting, and, according to witnesses, quote, grabbed a red cafea out of his pocket and started free Palestine chance quote there is only one solution, Antifada revolution unquote. While being arrested and taken out of the building, he chanted free, Free Palestine. Israel's ambassador to the US claimed that the two victims were deliberately targeted as Israeli embassy employees, and that Rariguez mingled with attendees at the reception earlier that evening before raising suspicion and being asked to leave. Although the organization who put on this event, the American Jewish Committee, disputes this account. They say that Rodriguez tried to register for their event but was denied entry following a background check. Rodriguez is a lifelong Chicago resident. He got an English degree at the University of Chicago, legally bought a gun in Illinois and flew with it to d S the night before the shooting. This event was as an American Jewish Committee access DC Young Diplomat's Reception. The description for the event reads quote, this special event brings together Jewish young professionals age twenty two to forty five and the DC diplomatic community for an evening dedicated to fostering unity and celebrating Jewish heritage. Join us for heavy appetizers, cocktails, conversations, and a special guest speaker. We are excited to introduce this year's theme, turning Pain into Purpose. Here from members of the Multi Faith Alliance and Israel as they delve into humanitarian diplomacy and have a coalition of organizations from the region and for the Region are working together in response to humanitarian crises through the Middle East and North Africa regions. The two victims were a young couple, Sarah Milgram and Ran Lisinski, twenty six and thirty, who met through their work at the embassy. Lisinski identified as a Christian, though he was born in Israel and moved to Germany as a kid, then returned to Israel and served in the IDF. There is an alternative claim that he was born in Nuremberg and then moved to Israel as a teenager, but most reporting says that he was born in Israel. In the aftermath of the shooting, politicians widely condemned this as anti Semitic violence. The acting US Attorney said that they are investigating the cases a hate crime and an act of terrorism. Dan Bongino, Deputy FBI director, said the shooting was a quote act of targeted violence. The Israeli Foreign Minister and net Yahoo have laid blame at college protesters and foreign government officials, including the leaders of France, Britain in Canada, accusing them of blood libel for talking about Israel's quote supposed genocide and crimes against humanity unquote, and calling such rhetoric critical of Israel. Quote unquote incitement. Natanyahu said, quote free Palestine is just today's version of Hyle Hitler Jesus Christ. They don't want a Palestinian state. They want to destroy the Jewish state. They want to annihilate all Jewish people who have been in the left d of Israel for three thousand, five hundred years.
Speaker 3: This is, obviously, I think, in a lot of ways, the kind of thing net Yahoo has been waiting for, and probably the kind of thing that a number of folks in that Trump is put in federal law enforcement have been waiting for because it provides them with some opportunities to continue their push to criminalize student organizing and organizing against Israeli war crimes. Right. Like, the argument they want to be able to make is that just saying free Palestine is an active terrorism, And there was an act of terrorism here, right, Like shooting two embassy employees for the crimes of their government. Like that is a clear act of terrorism. Right. You can feel however you want to about it, but like that's the definition of what was done. But the things he was chanting were not part of the active terrorism. The fact that he shot people to death was the active terrorism.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's the murdering people, that's the terrorism.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and that is already illegal, by the way, and quite heavily, I'll be interested. We don't seem to know much about where he got the firearm yet that I've come across.
Speaker 2: So he legally purchased it in Illinois.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he bought it in Illinois, which has like fairly strict gun laws. Yes, some of the strictest in the US. So it's one of those things where there's already quite a bit of regulation around everything that he did here. But fundamentally, if you're able to buy guns, which you are because this, you know, if there's an amendment, there will be people who carry out attacks like this. And I don't really know there certainly didn't seem to be outside of this guy's personal chats with his friends, a lot of evidence that would have set him on anybody's radar. He had been at like a PSL Party for Socialism and Liberation March in twenty seventeen or something, but like, this wasn't a guy who had a history of violence or anything like that. And quite frankly, that's just a reality of the country that we live in, is that when people like this decide to carry out shootings for whatever reason, the odds of catching them are extraordinarily low.
Speaker 2: It's very hard to flag for a guy specifically like like this because there's a lot of them out there.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah, and most of them don't do shootings.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this active been widely condemned. Like pro Palestine commentators have said that this style of like adventurist terrorism does nothing to help the Palestine people and in fact only hurts them and plays into what like the Israel lobby and Natya who have been like wanting to happen for a while.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I think kat Aboukazela, a Parastalian American woman he's running for office in Illinois.
Speaker 3: Worked it for media matters for years. Yeah. It does a lot of videos. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Anyway, I saw that she'd she had somethink about how like, yeah, this was something that evidently should be condemned. Right, that is wrong, and it's not advancing the cause of Palestinian freedom, Like I think adventurist terrorism is a good way to describe it. Geah, just getting pad and by people on the internet, which like I don't know people engaging with this like from a place it doesn't come from like it's bad when random folks get shot killed.
Speaker 2: No, people have have used the horrific genocide as a way to like channel their general societal frustration and find a way to like just act incredibly hostile like to actual Palestinians. Yeah yeah, yeah, who don't share the exact same like anti imperialist TM views that they might have. Right, it's just permission to abuse people online.
Speaker 4: Yeah, deeply, like verbally violent and like no psycho shit.
Speaker 2: And this guy engaged in that kind of stuff as well as well, as we'll see.
Speaker 3: Let's talk about that.
Speaker 2: Let's get a little bit into his background. So he has a manifesto that he posted on his Twitter account.
Speaker 3: And it's it's Kojent like in terms of it's not the ramblings of like a madman or something. There's nothing like it.
Speaker 2: It all has an English degree, he knows how to write. He has worked as a writer for like almost a decade.
Speaker 3: Okay, yeah, yeah, I mean that in terms of, like it's very clear what he's trying to say. There's not any evidence here of like a disconnect or whatever. He's not doing this because he's blaming Israel for making the weather bad or whatever. Right right, yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 2: The manifesto is title to Escalate for Gaza, Bring the War Home, and he attempts to explain the rationale behind his actions. He starts by discussing the unknown total scale of dead Palestinians, writing that quote atrocity is committed by Israelis against Palestine, defy description and defy quantification. He writes about how, despite protests and shifts in public opinion, the US government has continually refused to reign in Israel and instead moves to criminalize dissent. He talks about armed action. Quote an armed action is not necessarily a military action. It usually is not. Usually it is theater and spectacle, a quality it shares in many unarmed actions.
Speaker 3: Quote yeah, and I do find you know, one of the first things that happened when this attack was carried out was people started theorizing that this had been some Nazi who was using this to using the propouse and cost like camouflage as Nazism. And I don't think that the preponderance of evidence suggests that there are two weird things. One of them is that this guy's previous Twitter name was Habbo eighty eight and he was not born in eighty eight obviously whenever you see an eighty eight in the Native Curse Millennial. And the other is that the bring the war home reference in his manifesto, which is basically a reference to something that I believe was Louis Beam, who is a neo Nazi organizer, said about trying to get Vietnam veterans to essentially bring the war home to the United States in order to spark a race war. And those two little things are weird. However, the rest of this guy's fairly well documented history and background does not suggest anything like that, So I don't think that that's the credible thing to blame this on. Quite frankly, Yeah.
Speaker 2: I'll go over some of that background in brief.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: He also talked about targeting government representatives quote the impunity that representatives of our government feel at a bedding, that this slaughter should be revealed as an illusion. He then tells the story of a man who tried to throw Secretary of Defense Robert McNamara off a boat into the sea. He finishes with his thoughts on the quote unquote morality of armed demonstration, where he discusses this tendency to dehumanize the perpetrators of atrocities, as a method for us to cope with the monstrous evil that ordinary humans are capable of.
Speaker 3: Quote.
Speaker 2: This action would have been morally justified taken eleven years ago during Protective Edge, around the time I personally became acutely aware of our brutal conduct in Palestine. But I think to most Americans such an action would have been illegible. It would seem insane. I'm glad that today, at least there are many Americans for which the action will be highly legible and, in some funny way, the only sane thing to do unquote. It did find it interesting that on December fifth, twenty twenty four, Rodriguez posted on his Twitter account that quote eighty percent of the country applauds the targeted annihilation of a healthcare insurance EXECUTIVEUOTE. As for his political background, Rodriguez identifies as a Maoist, third worldiest yeah, and believes that the global seuth alone has quote unquote revolutionary potential. A friend of Rodriguez described his politics to journalist KNK Clippenstein like this quote. He was a big proponent of the emerging resistance axis of Russia, Iran Hesbula Assad Syria.
Speaker 3: How'd that go?
Speaker 2: He seemed pretty vocally in favor of Hamas for years, way before twenty twenty three. He'd always hated Israel and would call it quote the little Satan unquote.
Speaker 4: For fox sake, they Asad test are in supreme as. Yeah, it's a fucking ab test for someone having shitty politics.
Speaker 2: Yeah, with the hundreds of thousands of civilians killed by aside.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, Asad who gaffed his own people who murdered little children.
Speaker 3: Including thousands and thousands of Palestinians by the way. Yeah, yeah, but again, you shouldn't expect coherence or particularly well informed opinions out of folks.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: This His online presence mirrors what I would call like the typical like anti imperialist TM poster, where he's there is most of his frustration at the Democrats, sometimes at Republicans, but mostly yeah, posts about being pro Russia, Iran, Hesbala, pro Asade, and particularly the past few years, posting a lot of a Palestine right with explicit defense and like veneration of Hamas. The same friend that talked to Klippenstein and also said quote, it's driving me crazy that people are calling it a false flag. This development is shocking, but not completely out of character. Yeah, he always had strong political convictions. From the sound of the manifesto, he's the same as he was.
Speaker 3: Unquote Yeah, and I mean that seems true. Again, we still don't have a like, a perfect knowledge of all of this guy's you know, online life.
Speaker 2: No, this is just a week away.
Speaker 3: But based on what Kin's posted, based on this interview, that makes complete sense. Yeah, right, I like, I don't have any trouble believing that for a number of reasons.
Speaker 2: No, absolutely, this is this is not a false flag attack. That's that's conspiratorial nonsense.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think that's this guy did a thing that he's sincerely believed in, and it seems like everything he'd been expressing in the year or two leading up to doing this, you know, was consistent with what he did now.
Speaker 2: Rodriguez was affiliated with the Chicago PSL Party for socialistm in Liberation back in twenty seventeen and spoke to the media on their behalf, though he would later regret his association with the group, telling friends quote, PSL sucks shit. I wish I had just done a misadventure with the Freedom Road Socialist Organization rather than the PSL lol YEA. Rodriguez remained somewhat politically active in Chicago. In twenty twenty three, he posted video from a local pro Palestine march on his Twitter account. Clippenstein spoke with at least five friends of his, who all claimed that they never heard Rodriguez express anti Semitic sentiments. Now, one of Arigue's friends gave Clippenstein access to a years old private WhatsApp group chat that Rodriguez frequently posted in, including up to a day before the shooting. Clippenstein says, quote, the messages don't reveal any hatred of Jews per se, but they do portray an often bitter man who hated all sorts of other things, especially Israel and its Warren Gaza unquote. Yeah, and from what we conceived of the chats that kind has posted, this matches pretty well. A chat member wrote, quote, I'm almost surprised you're not anti Semitic elias. It usually goes hand in hand with the whole Stalin did nothing wrong, mantra.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and his response to this was like, Stalin ended, you know, among other things, Stalin ended the greatest anti Semitic state in history, which I've seen his evidence that he wasn't pro Stalin. He just supported Stalin, you know, defeating the Nazis. But he says like among other things, so he clearly got a number of reasons he likes Stalin.
Speaker 2: Yeah, from the exchanges with his friends, this guy's clearly like a like a tanky anti imperialist type.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, yeah, a million such examples.
Speaker 2: The only time he talked about race explicitly was the lambast white people quote. Lol, you probably would have to actually genified white people to make this a normal country. Like even a very targeted and selective rehabilitation program would probably have to lead to the lifetime imprisonments of tens of millions of white people.
Speaker 4: The uh, there's a Stalin did nothing really, Yeah, there's that gay brained type that we were looking for.
Speaker 3: Well, and again it's one of those things. We're talking about this because there's a bunch of guys who expressed similar views. This is the only one who's done as shooting. When we talk about this making sense, we're not talking about this like as evidence that like, oh, someone who's a fucking Tanky type is like is likely to commit a mass shooting right, they go hand in hand.
Speaker 2: No, this is the first time of take he's done anything.
Speaker 3: This is the first one of these I've heard of in quite quite a long time. Yeah, it's just this guy. There's a bunch of people who expressed similar things to this guy, right, yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: On October seventh, he celebrated the Hamas attack. Quote. Just saw an incredibly gory video of the aftermath of Israeli troops trying to get dressed for the ambush, absolutely massacred by Hamas fighters. I am ao love checking back in with the news every few hours, Like, hmm, I wonder if Israel still exists. You don't often get to credibly wonder if Israel is over yet today or not?
Speaker 3: Unquote yeah, and again like that just kind of shows the general lack of knowledge.
Speaker 2: A level of political delusion.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, like a lot of kind of telegram propaganda consumption type worldview here.
Speaker 3: Yes, and can convince you that what's happening is different from the reality.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: In this chat, he lmented to friends and expressed sorrow at the deaths of Hamas and has been of leaders and sometimes his ire was directed at other members of this leaked chat. At one point, going on an unhinged ablest rant, attacking one of his friends for being privileged after they discussed the challenges of having a brother with cazophrenia. Quote, why not just have him committed. You can't possibly be gaining anything from a relationship with a person like that. Just put him in a padded room and forget about him.
Speaker 3: Jesus Christ.
Speaker 2: If there was a person you loved, he's gone, now let it go. Can you just chain him in the basement and slide meals under the door. I'm just tired of hearing about this guy. He's useless, we get it, Stop complaining and just dispose of him.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Jesus Christ.
Speaker 4: I mean this goes with the people who I don't know aren't useful to me, are of no value? Right, that people don't have inherent value, and you know they don't agree with or are useful to him, then fuck them. They can die. Like I guess there's some kind of coherence there.
Speaker 2: Well, Robert, you want to mention the something awful?
Speaker 3: Yes, I do, Garrison. So the other thing that came out in Ken's article is that this dude was a poster Well. His friends described him as a dedicated poster, which is the worst thing you can be described as being, and noted that he had been there had been some when it came out that like his former Twitter user name had been like Habbo eighty eight. That was very clearly a reference to a game called Habo Hotel that if you're gen z, there's very good odds you don't remember. But it was a big thing for people who were on four Chan and who were on Something Awful. And Something Awful was the website that gave birth to four Chan. It's where I was raised on the internet, and many many years ago, around the turn of the millennium, I think I don't remember the exact year, but we started gathering on this game for children. It was like an MMO for little kids and like pretending to be members of a cult in order to like confuse small children. And then four Chan did their own version of that that was a bit more racist, which is often the case.
Speaker 2: Yeah, many such cases, Yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: Many such cases. Anyway, when this came out, there was a debate was this guy a channer or was this guy a goon you know, a member of the Something Awful forums, And a lot of people thought I called goon. A lot of people thought Shanner because of his age, he was a little bit young to have been a part of the something awful have a hotel things. I think it's actually likely or he did both. But his friends described him as somebody who was really into something awful, right, as somebody who had been influenced by that in particularly a subset of the something awful forms called FIAD, which stands for fuck you and Die, which kind of pioneered a lot of the most toxic aspects of online discourse.
Speaker 4: Apparently Jesus.
Speaker 3: Now, folks have found at least one of his accounts that doesn't have a lot of posts, although that doesn't mean much because number one, he could have deleted a lot of stuff, which many people did when they got older. Number Two, he could have had another account, which is also the case. The one account that people know was his was banned for shooting and killing two him to see employees. There's reasons given in the ever lengthening Something Awful ban list when somebody gets banned. Obviously, again, I don't think there's like a positive thing to him being like him being on something awful didn't cause him to shoot two people, but him being on Something Awful was a natural part of the progression that led to him being the kind of like toxic online asshole that he was. And sort of evidence of that is that one of the last things he had done online before the shooting was he had gotten briefly onto Blue Sky and then gotten in trouble for repeatedly harassing Will Stanzel, who's another annoying asshole on the Internet, who was also a Something Awful goon who was raised in this same chunk of the Internet, and who became a similar kind of asshole, just with wildly different politics. And these two hated each other, and Elias like threatened to murder him over the internet because he's like again that these guys, he's that type of guy. He's that type of guy, which doesn't mean again, which doesn't mean this is why he did a shooting or had anything to do with that, because there's a lot of this type of guy and almost none of them commit acts of terrorism. It just like his background makes complete sense for the kind of guy that we can see that he was online.
Speaker 2: The last thing I'll say about this is that you know, beyond this like senseless loss of life, which is like an issue in and of itself. Obviously, this also contributes to further loss of life in the way this plays into like media capture. Right now, we have a whole week were the news cycles dominated by two people getting murdered in the streets of DC, and this does not help the Palestinian people currently being killed by Israel. The exact same day that this happened, Wednesday, the twenty first, ninety three people were killed in Israeli attacks across the Gaza Strip and that type of stuff does not really get reported anymore because that's how media capture works. Americans are really good at getting desensitized to this in a large scale media environment, but stuff like this only serves as a distraction and fuels Israel's oone motivation for their continued actions.
Speaker 4: Talking of media capture, Garrison, we have been captured by the advertisers in this show.
Speaker 2: It's true.
Speaker 5: There you go, and we are back.
Speaker 2: Another big news item from last week was the passing of the big, beautiful budget bill in the House. We'll talk more about this bill as it turns through the Senate, but first our co host Mia Wong has a special report on how the bill targets trans healthcare.
Speaker 6: So we're going to talk a little bit about the budget bill that's currently working through a bunch of processes in the Senate, that's been passed by the House. I am Mia Wong, and with me to talk about how this budget specifically is unbelievably bad for trans people is Maddi Castikin from Mad cast and Mirror Levine from the Free Radical. Glad to have both of you to hear. You've both been doing a bunch of journalism about this stuff specifically and what people can do about it. First, can you can you explain what is going on in this budget with the ban on trans healthcare using Medicaid?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 7: Absolutely So. The budget bill, also known as House Resolution one, is this year's reconciliation bill, which is Congress basically deciding next year's budget and how they're going to allocate it their funds. This time around, Republicans decided it would be a great idea to push through. So what it was at first was a intense limitation on what Medicaid cover, essentially just humongous Medicaid cuts. And this is what I began investigating first. Me and Mattie were talking about it a bunch she's the one who took me off to it. They started off by implementing huge cuts to Medicaid that would result in millions of people losing access to their healthcare, not even just trans people. Shortly after they announced these cuts, for instance, adapt a group of disabled activists. They are famous for being the ones who climbed up the steps of the I believe it was the Capital Building in the nineties to raise awareness and help get the American Disabilities Act passed. They staged a protest on the United States Capital during a hearing for this bill where Republicans were just talking about it and praising themselves. Multiple active got arrested. They're all fine now apparently apparently they weren't treated too bad either, which is good to hear. But what ultimately happened is more and more came out, and it came revealed that not only would disabled people be affected, but basically every marginalized group for people of course being what we were focusing on given the beat, but this will impact essentially everyone, especially if you're a low income, especially if you are a person of color, you are more likely to be impacted just by virtue of this bill, and how sweeping it is, and Republicans implemented a ban for gender ferming care for minors on it. It was a very milktoas ban that at the time was projected to pretty much get overturned in court right away if we were to pass.
Speaker 3: They didn't stop there, though.
Speaker 7: They quickly evolved it and they tried to implement it into a sweeping ban on gender firming care for all ages is on Medicaid and for any health insurance received through Affordable Care Act marketplaces. And ultimately this led to a lot of panic and a lot of people assuming that their care is going to be taken away immediately. That wasn't what's going to happen on the minimum effective date that's currently in the bill is twenty twenty seven. I'm telling people to prepare if it passes for twenty twenty six, because there's a decent change. Republicans will try to expedite it. Because it passed through the House, it passed through committees in the House, it was sent to the Senate, and I think that's what we'll give to Mattie to talk about kind of what next steps for that are.
Speaker 8: Yeah, so lake Man was saying there's a lot of really huge. As bill is tremendous, they could talk for hours about it, but focusing on the transparts, there's a ban on medicaid funding and there's also a ban on including trans cares and essential health benefit and ACA plans. And the thing about both of these provisions is so that normally with reconciliation bills, they're supposed to be focused on budget items, not policy items. So for example, you couldn't say, hey, weed is legal everywhere now or something like that, or raise the minimum wage, which Democrats tried to do in twenty twenty one and they failed because there are rules regarding how this process works. And so what we argued in an article was that there's a possibility that, you know, if activists and advocates reach out to their senators and advocated to point out that this part of the bill is completely against those provisions, against those procedural rules for the Senate Parliamentaria could rule against it and basically strike that portion of the bill without ever even becoming law. And you know, that would stay people a lot of stress and anxiety, and you don't have to worry about the court battles and what happens with Scremetti versus us, which is a Supreme Court case that's going to be ruled on on gender firming care soon. So what we've been telling people, and you know, including listeners for your show, is that people really need to reach out to their senators every single day, email call and ask them to vote no on this bill. On HR one and it specifically mentioned the trans healthcare aspects. And if you want, there's templates online on our website, or you can just you know, ask them, Hey, we don't think this bill is good.
Speaker 3: We don't.
Speaker 8: We want you to challenge specifically the parts that are attacking trans people. And I can confirm with you. I can't share too much information, but I can confirm with you that we are making real, legitimate progress on killing this provision. And the more people we have calling in every single day, the better our odds are. But there's still more ways to fight back. And I want Mara to pick up on how people can fight back on the ground.
Speaker 7: Yeah, So in addition to reaching out to your senators, of course, to that, there's an email template, Mattie wrote of a great one. It tells you everything you need to do. You can even leave a phone call to the script it takes like five minutes. But more long term is this is not going to be the only attack on gender affirming care. It's not going to stop here. This is just the latest attempt that they're trying to do. Ultimately, we cannot rely on the government to give us a central health care. We cannot rely on the government to protect us and give us what we need, because fundamentally, the government and the laws that it aims to uphold are about protecting the rich, protecting the powerful, protecting the wealthy. The law is functionally something that gives police power to act as essentially an occupying army on state and to persecute anyone who deviates from what those who are disproportionately rich and powerful decruity. And we need to start focusing on building long term solutions. Everything we can do with legislative activism is important, but ultimately it will not save us because there will be more attacks down the line, and they'll keep coming, and they only need to win once. We need to win that every time. But there are long term solutions. My beat at this point is essentially just telling everyone to get plugged into your local mutual aid network, get plugged into people doing work on the ground in your state, in your area, who are focusing on a plethora of different issues. A bit of a self plug here, but I wrote an article, for instance, last month, where I interviewed a seasoned activist in the Twin Cities who told me just a lot about the history of radical practice in the cities, especially in light of the George Floyd riots and especially in right of corporate pride, rango capitalism, whole nine yards. Recommend reading it. It's on the free radical dot org. Check it out. But beyond of course my own writing in my own interviews, there are so many people doing work that doesn't get covered because it either isn't pattalable to mainstream news audiences or it isn't seeking coverage for a variety of reasons. In every single major city this I can guarantee there are people doing work. Most of the time. It's not going to be publicly visible, but they are there. I would recommend that everyone who is not currently plugged in gets started with something that is much more entry level and something that is much more like meant to be kind of for everyone who may not be willing to do more in depth and more treesy type of stuff, food not bombs, is the great thing I recommend for everyone to check out. Not every city has one, most two, every state has one. Beyond that, there are plenty of local mutual aid groups in every single locality, and if there's not one directly by you, there's probably one in your nearest major city. I would specifically recommend I'm a bit biased here, but I would recommend focusing on ones that are decentralized and non hierarchical, ones that don't revolve around centralizing power and placing that power in the hands of people who are either good at smooth talking or who have a lot of money. Ultimately, the way forward for people of all different marginalized groups, not even just trans people. You know on document immigrants, blocking auditions, well of color, low income people, disable people, and so forth. The way forward is by recognizing that our issues affect all of us. Attacks on trans healthcare are not limited there. Inevitably, let's say they ban trance healthcare overnight, They're going to come for intersex people. Next, They're going to come for gay people. Next, they're going to come for everyone. So I would just say get involved in your local groups and reach out there. Are resources out there. If you need some, check out the free radical dot org. I recommend a ton of them.
Speaker 8: Thank you and yees. Our upside for Matti Metticast is m adycast dot com and you can find our templates for contacting your senators there. Thank you so much for helping yourself and helping your community.
Speaker 6: Yeah, thank you so much for that. I want to close on I want to read the route a real line for fucking Davix manifesto from and or. Remember that the frontier of the rebellion is everywhere, and even the smallest insurrection pushes our line forward. And one of the arguments that can make make sure that I think it's just true is that in order to maintain their holds, these people have to win one hundred battles across one hundred fronts, you know. But this means that there are so many different things that you can do to resist them and to make sure that this fucking budget they're trying to pass, to make sure that everyone in this country suffers, and specifically that trans people cannot use the health insurances that we need, use Medicaid, use Affordable Care Act to pay for stuff. This stuff can be resisted in so many different ways. You can, as we've talked about, you can call your senators, you can yell at them, you can make their lives miserable until they agree to not do this. And then also you can join your local mituway groups, you can join local activist groups. You can start, you know, getting a serious organized other ways you can. Again, like we've talked a lot about unions and the role of unions and trying to struggle on the show. We've talked of God, We've talked about so many things. I'm going to do a one second plug for the episode I wrote last year called you already know how to organize, because you do already know how to organize. And yeah, none of the things that are happening here are inevitable. They can be stopped and there are so many different ways for you to start stopping them.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So we're back and we're talking about Gavin Newsome and particularly the intersection of the governor of California and Donald Trump, which is a lot more shameful than you'd expect. So if you remember a little earlier this year, there was a big brujaha publicly because a California transgender high school athlete one at the woman's eight feet triple jump. This is an eleventh grade transgender athlete from Urupa Valley High School near Riverside, California, and she won the Division three girls long jump and triple jump and placed seventh in the high jump at her Southern Section championship a few weeks later. There's going to be I don't think it's happened yet a championship meet that she qualified for as a result of this. And when this happened, it was immediately left on by the Trump administration and by right wing media as evidence of this thing that they've been trying to push for forever, which is that trans athletes are a threat to women's sports. Right now, this is something that number one, there's just not a lot of And this is also something that like, I think something like two thirds of Americans when polled, say that they don't feel like trans athletes should be competing with you know, quote unquote naturally born women in women's sports. Right Like, this is a thing that the right has built a lot of support for because they have made this a political issue for so long, and they've been largely successful in that the State of California and California lawmakers have been pushing back against this. There have been state bills in order to allow these girls to continue to compete, but Gavin Newsom has not expressed the same degree of support. And this kind of largely came out earlier this month when he had a meeting with conservative personality Charlie Kirk on his new podcast. As Newsom said, Kirk pushed so hard on the topic that Newsom said he felt like he had to address it. Here's how Newsom characterized it, and then he asked me, tell me that's not fair. And I looked at him. I said, you're right, that's not And so it wasn't some grand design. And I know, I know that hurt a lot of people, but respectively, I just disagree with those on the other side of this. Now, this brought a backlash against Newsom. He was attacked for flip flopping because again, like the California Democratic Party's position on this has been to defend trans athletes, but Newsom kind of flipped as soon as he was in a room with Charlie Kirk. Now, Newsom will argue that he also tried to stick up for trans athletes to Charlie Kirk to be clear about that, this is exactly what he said to Charlie completely fair on the issue of fairness. I completely agree. So that's easy to call out the unfairness of that. There's also a humility and grace that these poor people are more likely to commit suicide, have anxiety and depression, and the way that people talk down to vulnerable communities is issue that I have a hard time with as well. So both things I can hold in my hand. How can we address this issue with the kind of decency that I think you know is inherent in you but not always expressed in the issue. And first of all, there's no decency inherent in Charlie Kirk. And second, yeah, there's also a humility and grace that these poor people are more likely to commit suicide. What does that? What that mean? What does that mean? Gavin?
Speaker 4: That's not a sentence? Also, like, just like I made my living exercising for most of my twenties, right Like, you're a professional athletes done sports?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Like, and then I've done all kinds of other shit where I still got paid to race my bike, right Like? Yeah, sports are unfair. It fucking sucks. I coached people who worked way.
Speaker 3: Harder than me.
Speaker 4: They trained super hard, they slept well, they ate better. Unfortunately, for whatever reason, they were not able to get to the same level.
Speaker 3: That sucks.
Speaker 4: But like sport is inherently unfair. The idea that like the only difference is like this, like your xx x y chromosoonality is nonsense. Like, especially in high school sports, kids will develop at different times.
Speaker 3: That is unfair.
Speaker 4: Some kids will excel and then other kids will get better. The function of high school sports is not to find who can go like higher, faster, stronger. It's to teach people to play nicely with one another and to communicate inclusion and excluding trans kids is completely contrary to that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and that's like, yeah, I think that's a great point, James, is that, like number one, this is all being entirely made about like who places how, which is always going to be based largely on things that like people can't control, because like people's bodies are different, you know, Yeah, and they developed differently.
Speaker 4: Like there are people who I beat by graces when I was a kid who have one stages at the Tour de France. Yeah, like if our bodies developed differently, that's completely normal.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and it's this again. The thing that should matter here is not treating a community of people hatefully, which is the entire of the reason the right has made this an issue. It has nothing to do with fairness, it has nothing to do with sports. It's entirely about hurting a group of people.
Speaker 4: Yeah, if these people gave a single shit about women's sports, said it being there when women weren't getting paid the same Did it been there when they didn't get the same TV covery? Did it there when they didn't get the same price money?
Speaker 3: And they were mostly making fun of women's sports at that point in time? Yea. Now, I do think one thing that's funny here is that when Newsom was when people asked, rightly, like when Californian legislators were pushing to protect trans athletes, why didn't you bring up that you felt this way? And his answer was, I didn't have a podcast, I wasn't having that conversation. I was out there on the campaign trail and the big blue bubble, on the big blue bus and the big blue crowds, having big blue conversations. And then he went on to say that basically the backlash to him agreeing with Charlie Kirk on this has convinced him. I always thought the right overstated how judgmental my party was, and I'll be candid with you, I have a deeper understanding now of that critique than I ever ever ever understood. It's like, now that people are angry at me, I believe there's a problem with my party being judgmental.
Speaker 4: Yeah, now that I've faced a consequence of my shit, I hate trans people even more.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it must be so hard to be Gavin Newsome. It's gotta be tough and betray your constituents to get the approval of a millennial right wing podcaster who goes around.
Speaker 3: Who still hates you touring.
Speaker 2: College campuses to debate seventeen year olds. That must be so hard for you.
Speaker 3: It's gotta be tough. Gotta be tough, Gavin.
Speaker 4: He did say in his podcast his kid likes Charlie Kirk, not surprisingly. Maybe this is all just a ploy to be a cool dad.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm not surprised he sucks at being a dad.
Speaker 4: Gavin usedomings you wants to be a cool dad, Emty, it's embarrassing.
Speaker 2: Reminds me that Jake Dapper just said his kid's not really into politics. He's just into World War two and gaming great part of World War two.
Speaker 4: Tapurious, curious many such cases.
Speaker 3: Doesn't his kid want to be a cop? Is that Jake Tapper? Yeah, that makes sense. That sounds like Jake fucking Tapper's kid. So look. Earlier this week on Tuesday, President Trump shared a truth social post, a truth threatening to yesa he retruthed a post threatening to withhold federal funding from California over the participation of this high school trans athlete in the upcoming California Interscholastic Federation State Track and Field Championships. Right, and he said that, under the leadership of radical left Democrat Gavin Nuskum, California continues to illegally allow men to play in women's sports. The governor himself said it is unfair. Trump wrote, first off, the fact that Gavin agreed with Charlie INA's podcast did nothing to change the rhetoric around him. He's still radical left democrat Gavin newscom because you can't make these people unhappy, because it's not about fairness, it's about hurting people.
Speaker 2: Right, you can fight this. The governor of Maine has been.
Speaker 3: I wanted to talk about Maine. Yes, yeah, so Trump made this same threat to the state of Maine when the governor of Maine refused to stop allowing trans people to compete in women's sports, and the administration attempted to freeze funds intended for a main child nutrition program.
Speaker 2: No more food for your kids because woa, no more.
Speaker 3: Food for poor kids because woke. And in response, the governor made was like, all right, let's fucking go to the mat. And they filed a lawsuit against the US Department of Agriculture, and the Trump administration settled, like they they backed down. They agreed to stop freezing the funds if Maine dropped the lawsuit, right, Like, as soon as Maine sued, Trump backed down, right and rather than attempting to do that even though there's ample evidence that the administration backs down. And to be fair, and I think against Maine, California's got a lot more weight to throw around. Yeah, it's the fifth largest economy on the planet. They have some they have some fucking hack behind them, and like news clearly has.
Speaker 4: No moral principle other than advancing his own career in personal iron wealth right now.
Speaker 3: But like, even if that is the case.
Speaker 4: It's so easy to be like, yeah, I'll fight him on this, I'll fight for the trans kids and get some like resist a points.
Speaker 3: But he's just too much of a fucking cow. The first rule of fighting these people is don't give them anything. Don't treat them like people. They're monsters, their scum. You fight them every step of the way, right, Like, it doesn't matter what you feel about the issue. You never give pieces a shit like this a win. Yeah. Right, that's just not the way you fight them.
Speaker 2: This is the problem with people like Evin, who just whose entire politics is just chasing the zeitgeist.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So then when you interpret the zeitgeist as like swinging against your previously held progressive DEI woke LGBTQ plus values, Yeah, then you just go along with that swing and you actually don't even care about getting this getting this points anymore because you think the culture is going in a different direction. Sure, and all you care about is being in the cultural zeitgeist. Yeah, you don't actually stand for anything, like you're just you're just nothing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And everyone can see that as opposed to understanding what Governor Frey of main nderstands, which is that no, you stand there. You accept that the zeitgeist is a screen door and it's going to bounce off of you and back in enough for another direction if you stand for something, right, Gavin decided not to stand for something, and immediately after Trump made that tweet threatening to withhold funds from the state of California, and you know, the Department of Education has opened title for investigations in two leagues that have allowed trans athletes, including CIF, which is California's high school governing a sports governing body. Right after Trump made this most recent truth, the CIF released a statement saying that it had made the decision to pilot an entry process for the championship that's coming up that will alter the way they hand out awards. It will expand qualification opportunities for biological female student athletes. Is the exact way that they have phrased this. And basically what they're going to be doing is giving an award for biological men, biological women, and than trans competitors. Right, so there will be like three long jump awards.
Speaker 2: It's like a segregated scoring field.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's it's some I guess you could say it's not as awful as trying to ban people. But also it's kind of like you're not even taking any kind of stance here. It's not it's just it's nothing. It's nothing now. Newsome spokesperson as a Garden says cif proposed pilot is a reasonable, respectful way to navigate a complex issue without compromising competitive fairness. That governor is encouraged by this thoughtful approach. And I should note here this has done nothing to actually calm the right or get conservatives to back down right.
Speaker 2: Now, because they don't want trans kids competing at all. They don't want trans kids in public life.
Speaker 3: They don't want tids existing. Yes, and so like the conservative Californians are still angry.
Speaker 2: You can't take them for their word for it. Yeah, they don't care about fairness in sports. This is all about just eradicating trans genders from public life, like as as Michael Knowles said at Sea Pack like two years ago, Like that's yeah what they actually care about.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And there's you know, there's been a bunch of statements some some Democrats and the legislative LGBTQ cock because it have been like well, Gavin's you know, otherwise been a good ally. You know for LGBTQ people, and I don't agree with this is something that an assembly member Chris Ward said basically, I don't agree with this particular move. But he's been a good ally for a long time.
Speaker 2: Has he though? Has he though?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 4: I mean when it's convenient to him, I guess I prefer.
Speaker 3: Caucus member Alex Lee said that Newsom was quote just commenting on how he personally feels. He mentioned it on his dumb podcast. He never intended it to be a policy direction. Announced, Hell, yeah, it's a dumb podcast.
Speaker 4: Yea, yeah, I mean you should be concerned that he has a dumb pot cost what he deemed it. I just trans people like, yeah, he signed vetos all the time.
Speaker 3: Like again, I found a k c Ira add An article on this that quotes Publican assembly Woman Kate Sanchez, who wrote a bill that would have banned trans athletes from competing in girls high school sports earlier this year. This is what she said about cif's rule chains pilot policy. It's incredibly weak. We're angry, We're pissed at this. How every day that goes by and no one is protecting our girls. This is inexcusable. We need to have something done. Governor whoson needs to pick aside, do something, do the right thing. So again, this gets you nothing with them, right, it benefits you not at all. There's another quote I want to read here from State Senator Scott Weiner, who is the leader of the Senate Budget Committee and again a member of the LGBTQ Rights Caucus. Trump is now targeting California, just like he targeted Maine. Threatening to withhold federal funds of California doesn't follow as I legal edicts targeting transgender people. California law protects trans people. That won't change Main one in court. So will California. There's only one answer to a bully No, And as Main Governor Janet Mills said, see you in court. Sorry I got I don't know why I said Governor Fray earlier, but anyway, the point here is that you have Californian legislators saying the right thing, and then you have of fucking Newsome being like, no, no, no, actually we're totally going to cave and in a way that won't even make the Republicans happy. It's just frustrating to me that you do have Democrats trying to do the right thing here in California politics and Newsom absolutely having CIF do a run around on them out of pure cowardice. Anyway, that's what I got.
Speaker 2: Get him out of there.
Speaker 3: Get him out of there. Fuck Evin Newsom.
Speaker 4: We tried to. That was a recall, but it was not for the right reasons.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the last time we recalled a California governor, it was a real mixed bag.
Speaker 2: Yeah, speaking of a mixed bag, that's right, and we're back. Okay, we're back.
Speaker 3: We're back.
Speaker 2: James don want to finish us up here, I.
Speaker 4: Do, Garrison, I would like that very much. I want to talk about a couple of things. I'm going to try and keep this faster and know it's already been a long episode up with ice agents have been arresting people in immigration court around the country and placing them at expedited remove all proceedings. If you want to know more about exactly what they exploited remove all proceedings are and how they work, you can go back to our episode, which will have aired the day before you hear this, and that would explain And I talked to an immigration attorney there and explain a little bit more about how that works. This includes people whose cases were not dismissed. So Previously it was reported that ICE was dismissing cases of people who had arrived less than two years ago and placing them under two forty explanited remove all proceedings. Apparently they are also detaining other people. I am not sure how that works. I have not seen any justifications for this to give me an explanation for it. I'm not sure how much that matters anymore. These people are going to have to fight their removal from detention, which is obviously going to be a pretty unpleasant experience.
Speaker 3: Right. Detention in these.
Speaker 4: In these cour civic or geogroup facilities is pretty bad. I'm aware of cases where I misidentified the person being detained cuff the wrong person. And I'm aware that there are Spectrum Services who are an ICE detention officer provider officers, at least outside some of these facilities. I believe also inside Spectrum Services. I've noticed been posting a lot of job adverts recently. This is something I sometimes keep an eye on. Right like right before the end of title forty two, I saw they were advertising for ICE contractors to transport detainees. So this is sometimes a sign that bad things are a foot in the immigration world. I'm guessing in this case it's either this or a plan to further expand detention capacity, which also something the Trump administration has been talking about. Right, So they also have these various subjective orders authorizing more budget and the budget bill or threwting more budget for detaining migrants. Secondly, the South Sudan case rope we's covered this last week at ALVSUS Known.
Speaker 3: We also covered it earlier in this week.
Speaker 4: If you go back to our episode which aired on Wednesday, you can hear more about the sort of blow by blow of timeline of that case. In the South Studian case, Trump administration seems to have gone directly to the Supreme Court try and get an emergency stay on the injunction, which afforded due process rights to the migrants who are currently detained into booty. The administration asked for a stay of the court's injunction. The courts injunction had given them ten days to assert their reasonable fear of torture and then a further fifteen days to ask to reopen their case if the Department of Home Land Security determined that fear not to be credible. Justice Supreme Court Justice Jackson has given the plentiffs a week to respond to the United States the DOJ's call for a stay right, So in practices, people will still have that ten days from the injunction to make their play that they have a fear of torture. Right. South Sudan has said that if these people aren't South Sudanese, it will just return them to their country of citizenship. So if the United States can't return them there because they have a fear of torture, it just seems like the whole South Sudan thing is just an end run around the Convention against Torture right there their obligation not to return people to places where they will be tortured. Talking of returning people to places where they will be tortured. Unfortunately, the Trump administration has deported twenty people to Mianma. This is according to reporting in Meanma Now. I've also written about it on my page Patreon page. I've linked both of those in the show notes. But it should be noted that me and I Now broke the story and it's getting very little coverage in the United States. I can speculate as to why that you probably don't need to hear me to sort of join the dots there.
Speaker 3: This is atrocious.
Speaker 4: Robert and I have both spoken to people with extensive experience of detention in me m Aar, and like, when we talk about the worst attention conditions in the world, we get to a point where it doesn't really make any sense for us to say, like a is worse in.
Speaker 3: Right, right, that this is worse than Sednaia or whatever. But it's on like the level which was Assad's torture prison and Syria as.
Speaker 4: Sads butchery for human beings.
Speaker 3: Like we're talking about that level.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Like I mean things that I have heard. People have been electrocuted to death. People are water boarded, people have acid poured in their mouths. Bodies are found without organs, people are beaten to such an extent that their entire bodies are covered with bruises and contusions. Many times people will only know that their family member is detained when they disappear, and then a few days later they get a call telling them to pick up the body. Conditions in Burmese hunted attention facilities are atrocious. These people are currently being held at the on Tarpi Interrogation Center. It appears at seven, one of the earliest, but this has been happening since March. It appears that somebody these people have been released. The rest are being held by SAC. That's the Burmese hunter of military intelligence units, who will almost certainly torture them. Me and MA does have a temporary protected status, but I think I've seen a couple of posts about this, so I just want to clarify the TPS doesn't apply to people who entered after the TPS was granted, or to people who have committed certain crimes. We know that at least one of the men they returned had been convicted of a crime. Not all of these crimes are like particularly HENUS felonies. Right, you can do a certain number of misdemeanors and also be deported under a TPS. But I'm trying to find out who these people are. I know that you can't download our podcast in Meanma, which is a huge dub for us. But you know, I know a lot of Burmese people do listen, so you know, if you have an particular insight into this, you could reach out to us. We'll drop the email addressing a little bit here it does seem very unlikely that these people were given a chance to make a claim of fear of torture, right, because it would be a very easy claim to make, given every major human rights organization on the planet has documented torture of detainees in Meanma. I was just reading a report this morning about harassment of trans women in prisons in Myanmar. But the same thing goes for CIS folks, for straight folks, for everyone, right, no one, No one comes out of there the same they went in. Yeah, I can't believe that these people were given a chance to claim a credible fear because it would have been such an easy claim to make, yep, And they wouldn't have been returned there. So yeah, I wish the story was getting more reporting. I wish more people in the media in this country cared about me and Maa. But that's a drama I have been beating for four years now, and I don't think she's going to change anytime soon. So I guess all there is to say is that I really appreciate those of you who do, especially those of you who listen to the show and take an interest in all things Meanma. But yeah, if these people have been returned to a country that the US press was more familiar with, there'd be a lot more noise about this, but this is absolutely unconscionable.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, these people will be tortured. It would not shock me if some of these people died.
Speaker 3: Yeah, now, this is I mean, there have been cases so far. I think at least seven of the people that have been sent over previously in the last year or so by the US have been released from this prison. So it's not unnecessarily a death sentence, but for a good number of them it will be, right, Yeah, especially since there are also Rowhinga people who will be deported in the near future and presumably directly back to the same place.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean it's documented that people deported from Thailand are immediately conscripted and yeah, sent me to the military. Right, So if they get out of prison, there's a good chance that, especially if they're men, that they will be Women do get conscripted too in Meanmar, but there's a good chance with that will happen too. They've been conscripting a lot of o Hinga people. So yeah, the outcomes of this will be very poor and U Yeah, the only way torture stops in Burma. Is is when the revolution succeeds and liberates to Britains. Like that, there is no reasoning with the Burmese hunter. Yep, it's about all I got. It's pretty fucked like.
Speaker 3: Speaking of fucked, let's listen to the tariffs song. There's no terriffs this week now, fuck it. Well, let's just listen to it and then have the end of the episode. Just gets a nice song. Let's just listen to it now.
Speaker 2: We don't have time to listen to it. This is the end of the episode.
Speaker 3: Wow, Garrison took it away from you and complained to them online.
Speaker 4: The constant agist attacks on the Clash have not stopped.
Speaker 2: Sorry, fellas, all that money for nothing?
Speaker 3: We reported the new.
Speaker 1: It Could Happen Here is a production of cool Zone Media. For more podcasts from cool Zone Media, visit our website coolzonmedia dot com, or check us out on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever.
Speaker 2: You listen to podcasts.
Speaker 1: You can now find sources where It Could Happen here listed directly in episode descriptions. Thanks for listening.