Speaker 1: On the Bechdelcast, the questions asked if movies have women and them, are all their discussions just boyfriends and husbands, or do they have individualism? The patriarchy? Zefphnbast start changing with the Bechdel Cast.
Speaker 2: Hello, and welcome to the Bechdel Cast, the show where we examine movies through an intersectional feminist lens, using the Bechdel test simply as a jumping off point. Caitlin popping in here to say that this week we are unlocking a Patreon aka Matreon episode on Scary Movie, the first one from the year two thousand, since the new one is coming out very soon. We released this on the Matreon around this time last year as part of a theme called spoof Tember, if I'm remembering correctly, in which we covered Scary Movie and Young Frankenstein. So here is that unlocked episode on Scary Movie. Enjoy Del Cast, Jamie, do you like Scary Movie?
Speaker 3: Was?
Speaker 1: Okay?
Speaker 2: That part was funny. That do you remember the do you know what that's referencing?
Speaker 1: It's a Budweiser commercial, right, yeah, okay, yeah there. I had to check a bunch of references in this, although some of them it's like James vander Beacon a window. Yeah, I know what that means. Mm hmm, yeah, I know what that means. Unfortunately, there were some things I feel like, as we go through this, maybe we can help each other figure out. Because there are most of the references I got, there were a few that I was like, well, I'm sure that people knew what this was at the time.
Speaker 2: I yeah, I was a sentient teen Yeah.
Speaker 1: Year this came out, you were the target audience.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I really was. Unfortunately, so we're covering scary movie. Uh, Matrons, this was your number one by a landslide, number one.
Speaker 1: Absolutely weirdos No. I feel like I was talking with Gret about it this morning. I think we talked about it too, where it's like you guys wanted us to have the exact conversation we're about to have, which is, what the fuck you got? Why did we have to watch this? What if?
Speaker 2: Twist? We loved it, We love scary movie.
Speaker 1: Actually it is a feminist mustapiece. I thought it was so fa I was looking. I was trying to figure out just like how the cast of this movie felt about having worked on it, particularly Regina Hall, because you're like the get her out of here. They're like, we need to airlift Regina Hall out of this horrible movie. But that this was like sort of a big break roll for her, and so she did one of those I forget what magazine it is, but it's like the career retrospective video. Yeah, and scary movie is the first thing she talks about, and she's very polite about it. She was like, yeah, that like my she mentions, because we'll talk about, like, I think, the various failures of this movie and some successes. I will say there were some things that made me laugh.
Speaker 2: There were a couple funny jokes. I'll admit it.
Speaker 1: The nine one one white woman in trouble joke, very funny.
Speaker 2: Was up.
Speaker 1: It really was like many jokes in this movie just repeating a joke that had previously been made. But I laughed, sure, Becauzam, I laughed, sure, But that was more just because they said something. Anyways, So Regina Hall was she was like, yeah, so I you know, I got the chance to do this part, and my manager or agent or whoever, was like, probably don't do this because this is like a super stereotyped black woman character. I think that she called it a loud girl character, which I'd never heard it in that way before. But yeah, like she's like, it's a loud girl character. You're going to get type cast as this, like I will didn't do it, And Regina Hall was like, She's like, and now I really understood what they meant. But like she she took the role because A it was a role, and B because she was a big fan of the Waynes Brothers, which is I'm sure while a lot of people were in this movie. And and I didn't realize that this movie was more financially successful than the movie that it's based on, Scream. I mean, both are wildly successful. And I know what you did last summer, but only for like ten minutes. Weirdly, I thought it's.
Speaker 2: Definitely way more parodying Scream.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but Scream obviously came out in ninety six, made for fifteen million dollars, made one hundred and seventy three million dollars. Hello, scary movie made for nineteen million dollars, made two hundred and seventy eight million dollars. Wild unjust unjust Yeah, sorry, anyways, I just I I didn't know Regina Hall was in this and I was like upset for her and Anna Faris Anna Faris. I feel like she said a very interesting career where you're just like, is anyone ever gonna let her cook? Is anyone ever gonna let this woman cook? Or anyways?
Speaker 2: Ah Okay, I'm yelling, oh, well, what's your history with this? Had you seen it before? No?
Speaker 1: I had not seen it. I had seen clips of I've never seen a scary movie all the way through, but I feel like these movies often find second lives in There were scenes I recognized because they were like posted on like early YouTube or whatever, or I think I definitely remember whatever scary movie because luckily this is streaming on Paramount Plus right now. And I was like, should I watch scary movie too? It's not streaming, okay, whatever, h well.
Speaker 2: It is on Hoopla and I did watch it for this. I have like one to two notes on it. It's okay, but I only rewatched it because not to interrupt your history with it. But you're fine, it's there.
Speaker 1: There isn't any I mean, I saw it in clips. I just I was always gonna say, is I remember the one is scary movie too? The one that references the ring I remember the clipt from The Ring, I don't think, so that must be Regina Hall fighting the girl from the Ring? What oppen?
Speaker 2: Okay, that must be Scary Movie three or beyond, because there are I think five of.
Speaker 1: These total, and the original cast is like basically in the first four, which is why like they they I'm pretty sure they kept Regina Hall until Scary Movie four. Poor Regina what Anyways?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I had seen this movie before it came out in two thousand and I was thirteen or fourteen, so yeah, the target demo totally. And I think I saw this before I saw a Scream, So.
Speaker 1: I've seen a lot of letterbox reviews to that effect, which is like kind of fun it was.
Speaker 2: I mean, I wish it had been the other way around, but sure, I can't fix it now. And I think I only saw a Scary movie once prior or Oh no, I did actually rewatch it when we covered Scream just to see, and I think I just had a little just a couple comments about how it's like so bad and every horrible joke that you can think of is made.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I didn't realize exactly how like beat for because I didn't watch Scary movie too. I watched Scream immediately after, and which was helpful because I hadn't seen I hadn't seen Scream for like a year or something like I usually watch it every Halloween. But just like literally seen to scene there is reused dialogue, which that one point they call attention.
Speaker 2: To in Scary Movie. Yeah, you're just like this sucks, this is so lazy and oh god this Yeah, this movie is truly really punishing. But so in two thousand and one, when Scary Movie two came out, for some reason, I was slightly more attached to that one. I had seen that probably three or four times in the early two thousands. We're saying, I think probably once in theaters and then I'm guessing like I would like go to a friend's house for a hang and we would put it on. I don't know, but I have like more memories from that one. I kind of didn't really remember anything from Scary Movie. They're all horrible. I don't think I've seen any of the sequels beyond Scary Movie two.
Speaker 1: I think that that's fair. Yeah, I've like it's just all like although I mean, okay, positive things I can say about this movie. Also, the Waynes brothers. They're historic figures, right like, they're ye who have made stuff I really like. For example, Hollywood Shuffle movie we've covered on this very shows. It was directed by Robert Townsend, but it was co written by Keenan Ivry Wayns. He created in living color, which is like an iconic comedy series. This was I didn't realize scary movie, whether we like it as a movie or not, was the highest grossing movie by a black director for years until a different bad movie displaced it, Fantastic Four in two thousand and five. Jessica Alba Fantastic.
Speaker 2: Four, Yeah, directed by Tim's story. Yeah. Also he I mean he worked a ton with any More, like all this stuff right like I so, I guess listeners, when you're setting your expectations, this is not a takedown of the Waynes brother writ large Right, they're complicated figures, but they are also like just like iconic comedians. I would say that this genre specifically is maybe the genre that is set to age the absolutely the worst of almost any movie genre, because not only is the hu more very offensive and dated, so were the references.
Speaker 1: So if so, if you like, we're not the target audience for this movie. You're just like, I feel like I'm being punished and I don't know what they're fucking talking about.
Speaker 2: So there's a reference in Scary Movie Too, where there's like this hole it's horrible, but the tires on a wheelchair are Firestone tires. Do you remember the whole scandal around Firestone tires? Not really two thousands? No, exactly exactly.
Speaker 1: What is it?
Speaker 2: I remember, I'm kind of curious, just that they were horribly made, and like cars kept getting in horrible accidents because like the tires would basically fall apart or like catch on fire or something while they were driving. Whoa, And so there's a reference to that in Scary Movie Too. I did not know that to your point, No one remembers that.
Speaker 1: No except for me. Also, there's a continuing on on the Wayne's brother train, because there's just so many brothers. Wayne's brother also wrote and directed a movie we will be covering on the show. It's just like the recording time keeps getting postponed. White white Ken and Ivory Wayne's is not you know, at the top of he's not one of the white.
Speaker 2: Chicks, and who can forget major pain for that?
Speaker 1: Did I ever tell you I've never seen Major Pain, but my freshman year of college, we had a cardboard cutout of him in my room. My ROOMT had a cardboard cutout of Major Pain. So he was, in fact the first person I saw when I woke Well, not a part, he's cardboard, but like, h yeah, Damon Waynes was the first thing I saw when I woke up. Wow.
Speaker 2: And then you've got Damon Wayne's junior yup of New Girl, Fame and others.
Speaker 1: Hollywood Dynasty. Yeah, there's there. I think their generation of Wayne's in Hollywood. Now I'm not totally sure.
Speaker 2: Well there's like there are like ten siblings, yes, because it's like Keenan Ivory Wayne's and Sean Wayns and Marlon Wayns are all brothers.
Speaker 1: Is Damon Wayne's a cousin?
Speaker 2: Like I googled Wayne's family tree? Okay, let me where's the tab?
Speaker 1: Starting to feel very Game of Thrones, like you have to there's charts.
Speaker 2: So Dwayne Waynes is a writer and film composer. He's the eldest. Then Keenan Ivory Waynes is the second eldest. There's Deirdre who's a screenwriter and producer.
Speaker 1: I didn't know there was a Wayne's sister.
Speaker 2: Wow, Yeah, there's another. There's Kimberly and actor and.
Speaker 1: Writer Kimberly never mind because she's she's in some of their stuff.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's Elvira. She has worked as a writer's assistant and a writer. Okay, There's Nadya, who the little blurb about her has primarily stayed out of the spotlight.
Speaker 1: Good for her.
Speaker 2: There's DeVaughn, also largely kept her life private. There's Sean.
Speaker 1: I like that the girls. The girls are generally like no, thank you, not interested, like good for you, good for you.
Speaker 2: Sean born in nineteen seventy one and Marlon born in seventy two, versus their elder brother Keenan born in nineteen fifty eight and Damon Senior born in nineteen sixty. So yeah, there's like many siblings many years apart.
Speaker 1: But Keenan's guy. I always think of him as like sort of the elder because it's like his younger brothers are in his stuff. He was involved in Eddie Murphy raw like he's I feel like he's the I don't know they's So it's we could do a whole Wayne's family history show basically, right, Yeah, and I also I was like, which Wayne's brother was it Marlon's last year. In spite of the fact that we will see some very you know, transphobic and homophobic jokes in Scary Movie, I do feel like it is worth mentioning that a couple of years ago. I don't know if his son said it publicly or if he has asked about it, but he has a trans son who he has been extremely publicly vocally supportive of, which I thought was really nice to. You know, people can grow. So while Marlon Wayne's you know, as we'll talk about, had a hand in writing some pretty horrifically transphobic and homophobic jokes in the year two thousand, I, you know, again just couching it in people grow. We're talking about the year two thousand and it's not going to feel good.
Speaker 2: It certainly is not.
Speaker 1: So Yeah, your history is you saw it when it came out, But you're more of a scary movie too, head.
Speaker 2: I mean, technically yes, But also I've I've left these movies in the path. I haven't seen any of them since like probably two thousand and three, fair enough, but yeah, for some reason, Scary Movie two was the one which is mostly a parody of Oh.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Do they always choose like one movie to basically rip off pretty much?
Speaker 2: Yeah, and then maybe there will be like kind of a side plot or like a secondary movie that they'll pull from, But it seems to be like mostly one movie, Yeah, the Haunting from nineteen ninety nine, although the opening sequence of Scary Movie two is an Exorcist parody.
Speaker 1: They love the Exorcist because it's also heavily round. I mean, I guess it is like one of the most iconic horror movies, but it's not recent at all, So I was like, why is it.
Speaker 2: They also love Titanic. Yeah, because there's a Titanic reference in Scary Movie and Scary Movie two.
Speaker 1: I thought that was a pretty clever, dark but well execution almostad too. They're okay, there's just there's just a lot. There's a lot going on. Yeah, this movie wants to be screamed so bad, and this is the crux of it that I know. I'm like, in no way the first person to make this observation. We've talked about over text, but like, why would you parody Scream when Scream is a satire of horror movies? It's a hat on a hat it does. So I feel like any or most of at least if you're looking at this from a critical standpoint, which I know you're not supposed to, but we're doing it anyway.
Speaker 2: It's our job.
Speaker 1: But that's our job. That's what you pay us the five dollars for. But you know, like I feel like most of the attempts to, like Scream in particular, it just like falls apart really quickly because it's like Scream is already it would make more sense to do, you know, an ursus parody or a sixth sense parody, or like a movie that is at its core sincere not that Scream, I mean and Scream. So that was what I did instead of watching scary movie too. I rewatched Scream. We've covered it on the show before. It's a classic. It's great, you know, has its flaws, certainly, but like it is clearly commenting on horror tropes, which I feel like the second trilogy does even.
Speaker 2: More in like pretty I think clever and astute ways, something that scary movie you know, utterly fails to do.
Speaker 1: And it's not even like rewatching Scream, I mean it's high drama. Like you love the characters, but like it's not subtle about what it's doing, like it's it's tell but you know, the scary movie really challenges whatnot subtle can look like. Yeah, I don't know, do you have anything else? I guess, oh the last whatever positive contextual thing that I will say about this movie and also what they make scherioh Terry do in this movie. I love Schario Terry, Like can we not make her do that? Anyways, but that this movie's success and again feel about this way you will basically revived this genre like the like super spoofy summer movie and that like continued throughout the two thousands, like with this franchise, but also with you know, epic movie vampires.
Speaker 2: Suck blah blah blah, like those movies got another teen movie totally.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Like there there were stuff like this in the eighties and nineties and not saying there were the most baseballs you know, like but in general, like it feels like these kinds of movies had a huge moment in like the seventies and then again in the two thousands.
Speaker 2: I forget if it was epic movie or there were a hand full of ones like this where they were just like, let's take a pretty broad genre and then call it something movie. I don't remember if it was epic movie or something similar, but I walked out of it. I went to go see in the theater and I was like, this is so bad. It's like one of the few movies I've ever walked out of. I so to say, do you remember the first movie you walked out of? I did, and it might have been that.
Speaker 1: Really, it made me feel so powerful the first movie I walked out of, and like in retrospect, I was like, Okay, that was a little dramatic. But I walked out of bas Lerman's Great Gatsby.
Speaker 2: I mean visual cacophony.
Speaker 1: I said, enough is enough, enough is enough. I think I was being like a little like, this isn't like the book, Like you know, I was being a dork. But you know what I did did I said what I said, And I remember that when I did it, I was wearing a Monster's University hat. So it still was like kind of humiliating. Anyway, that's hilarious, adult woman.
Speaker 2: I almost walked out of bos Lherman's el this because that to me was very people. Oh you know what, I think it was disaster movie that I walked out of two thousand and eight.
Speaker 1: Oh I remember, Yes, I mean that felt barely justified. I like, I don't know, I don't know.
Speaker 2: Yeah. The last thing I'll say before we dive into the recap is that something that would have probably made more sense to bring up on the Young Frankenstein episode, because we were talking about our relationship with spoof and parody, I forgot to mention that I made a student film which was a parody. I think I mentioned it on the show before. But it's called Car Wars Return of the Jetta. Wait, I don't rememberich is awesome. I think we can.
Speaker 1: All agree, okay, no notes, it.
Speaker 2: Was okay, so because my friend had a beat up Volkswagen Jetta, and so I was just like, can I use your car slash? Will you be in my my little movie?
Speaker 1: That's sweet? I love that. I Also, I guess I should have for my context, I should have mentioned for all the shit I'm about to talk. You know, I wrote on Robot Chicken for two seasons, so look, so look, am I above this clearly not? Clearly not? I wrote on robot Chicken for two seasons. For like five dollars cumulatively, So like, you know.
Speaker 2: But pretty good parody sketches on that.
Speaker 1: I agree.
Speaker 2: I've always been a fan of that show I Gritty.
Speaker 1: That was my favorite that I got away with I Gritty guys, come on, come on, you gotta watch I Gritty. Yeah, that was like God, that was like seven or eight years ago now, so even the ones that I am proud of still feel a little dated. One was like, uh about what was that Remy Mallick show, Mister Robot. Yeah, I did a mister Robot parody that at the time did numbers. But now someone would be like, huh, what do you mean by that? Anyways? Yeah, am I am? I above obvious pairs. No, no, I paid my rent for a little while.
Speaker 2: Yeh.
Speaker 1: But but I will say, having been in rooms of that nature, what you do find is constantly fighting against jokes that are not dissimilar to the ones that appear in this movie, because I feel like parody can be super fun, as you like, your short film is an example of that. I Gritty, It's an example of gritty.
Speaker 2: Wait, let me just say one more thing. Also, Okay, so I Gritty, Tanya, mister Robot, I Robot remember that.
Speaker 1: Makes you think, it makes you think, sorry, wait what was that? I there was like one robot because the catch I read that, I was like, oh, that didn't even have anything to do with anything. It was a fake commercial for like Cheetoh, like what to do when you've been fingered by a guy who just ate Cheetos? Anyways, So that wasn't a parody as much as just something that was on my mind at the time.
Speaker 2: That was original content.
Speaker 1: That's IP, that's IP anyway, whoa oh. But just like the fact that, like I don't know, this genre is possible. It's possible to write really funny stuff. It's always gonna rely on you know, the viewer knowing what the reference is for the most part, although some people's aw scary movie and then so I'll scream. So it's like, if it's strong enough, it can it can stand on its own. Usually you need to know the reference. But it really does open itself up to like some of the like nastiest prejudices at the time. I'm thinking of the time in the Robot Chicken writer's room when I had got into a full on argument and I won't get specific about who I was talking to but this was in twenty eighteen nineteen about whether Elon Musk was cool or not, and he really was like, what do you hate rockets? I was like, no, I hate Nazis and then he was like, you're being dramatic and anyways, so these are this is the tenor of this. However, this movie, I don't know. I would be really surprised if there wasn't like a punch up room for movies like this. That's something that as a writer I'm always like curious about, because you know whatever, for listeners that aren't aware, there's usually for usually on comedy movies, a lot of the time on kids movies, once a script is complete, they will hire a group of writers or comedians to come in for a couple of days and just pitch jokes that like aren't quite working. I've done one of these rooms before. They're fun, but you don't get any credit, like I think sometimes people get thank yous or whatever. So I wouldn't be surprised if that happened here. But as far as the credited writers, there's Sean and Marlon Wains the brother of course is directing, Buddy Johnson and Phil Bowman, which I like who are these men? And those are those are the names of old men to.
Speaker 2: Me, they were writers on The Wayne Brothers Show, so that's probably why they got pulled into this.
Speaker 1: Which was one of the other jokes that made me laugh. I've never seen The Waynes Brothers show, but during the stab scene, just the like, oh, and the Wayne Brothers is a really good show. We didn't even get a parting episode or whatever. That's fun. That's fun. They're not the weird credits. The weird credits are Jason Friedberg and Aaron Seltzer, who get a credit because of a WGA rule in spite of not having written on the movie at all. They just were like, what if we parodied Scream? A very lucrative decision for them to pitch the most obvious idea ever and then other people write the movie.
Speaker 2: Because Here's what happened from what I understand. According to scholarly journal Wikipedia, so the Waynes Brothers and then Buddy, Buddy and Phil were developing the script for Scary Movie, which was originally called something like Scream if you still know, oh what I did last Halloween or something.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I think the only way it could be more dated would be and also that Scream was almost called scary movie is kind of a fun thing.
Speaker 2: So they were developing that script at the same time Miramax, because yep, this movie was produced by Bob and Harvey Weinstein.
Speaker 1: It isn't that interesting time every time a movie opens with that, you're like, well, wow, or we're off to a bad start.
Speaker 2: Right, So Miramax was developing a different spoof of Scream that Jason Friedberg and Aaron Seltzer were writing, and I don't know if they just sort of like decided to combine efforts or what exactly, but that's basically why, Yeah, Friedberg and Seltzer have writing credits on Scary Movie, even though I don't think they worked on any draft of this script.
Speaker 1: The lesson being, if you're a Hollywood writer, just start pitching the most obvious shit around town and eventually you'll start making passive income off of it. Right, Good for them. I also something that could so like we were talking about this movie is clearly ripping off Scream and I Know you did last summer, which I kind of forgot. I know, we talked about it when we covered I Know what You did last Summer. More recently, we're both written by the same guy. They're both written by Kevin Williamson. And what a fascinating cultural figure he is, indeed, because he also created Dawson's Creek, which is referenced in the movie that is parodying two of his movies.
Speaker 2: Wow, it's all connected. Her web connects them all.
Speaker 1: Kevin's web connects them all. I'm I'm always rooting for Kevin for obvious reasons.
Speaker 2: Anyone likes Kevin Kevin le mignon.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that is really kind of it, That's the whole reason. But but yeah, so I was like, Wow, there's just so many layers of Kevin and Williamson in this damn movie. Although I do think, I know.
Speaker 2: What you did last Summer is corny, it kind of sucks, but what can you do it an you do? But Scream rocks and it didn't need to be parodied, and it makes no sense that it was, and yet scary moving one And yet should I do the recap?
Speaker 1: I guess? So, I mean, yeah, it's basically Scream but worse.
Speaker 2: But yeah, yeah, I guess like spoilers for Scream because most of the same twists that happen in Scream also happened in this movie. So if you haven't seen Scream, it's about to be spoiled more or less. Okay, So the movie opens much the same way Scream opens, where like the ghost face killer calls a woman. The character's name is Drew played by Carmen Electra formerly played by Drew Barrymore in Scream.
Speaker 1: Wow. The subtle reference to the text poor carbon Electra in this day like poor I mean, but every time you see an actor, just think we're saying poor them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So the killer calls her and asks her about scary movies, and then he shows up and starts chasing her stabs her in the chest.
Speaker 1: This is truly like I forgot until I rewatch Scream beat for beat for beat for beat the exact same scene, to the point where I kind of forgot that the Drew Barrymore's character's parents come home at this exact moment in this one. The mother's giving the father RoadHead ha haha, something that I don't know. I just am like, that doesn't happen. There's so much RoadHead in this movie. I was like, stop telling teenagers that RoadHead is a thing. It is not a thing. I've done it twice and it was scary and they always crashed the car. It's scary. Don't give RoadHead. Don't be like people scary movie or me and the there's two different points in this movie. I'm sorry Carmen Electra in her first five seconds that was green. Oops. I farted, Okay, like there it just for no reason, just for let's have a fart. Same thing with Anna Faris at some point where.
Speaker 2: It's like, oh, she farts in the bathtub.
Speaker 1: Yeah what why not? I don't know. I like why not? But also why I'm being a snob, but also why, but also why? And it's only women, Like why are women farting? It feels fetishy?
Speaker 2: Anyways, it could well or it could be really thoughtful representation to show the women fart too. I don't fart, Okay, I've never fried. Yeah, me either. I don't know what I'm talking about.
Speaker 1: I'm guessing.
Speaker 2: Anything to not talk about this movie. Okay, I know, all right, So this this sequence happens. Yeah, cut to a teen girl named Cindy played by Anna Ferris.
Speaker 1: Now eagle eyed viewers keep in mind the character that's based on his named Sidney, whereas her name is Cindy whoa. So the parallels are subtle, but stay with us. Also, young young Anna Ferris. Did you see the story about how she ended up in this movie? Kind of?
Speaker 2: I sort of forget it already.
Speaker 1: So I think I don't know that much about Anna Ferris as a person other than I think she's like a really good comic actor who has almost exclusively been in movies that have aged very poorly, and I would like to see her in a movie that isn't I Weirdly, the last time I was visiting producer of this very show, Sophie, we rewatched The House Bunny for some reason. Uh huh does not age well?
Speaker 2: I've never seen it.
Speaker 1: It's well, it does not age well. That's but like Anna Faris is a very very talented actor. I feel like she I know she was like early to podcasting. She was married to Chris Pratt at one point, a lot going on, and he.
Speaker 2: Has been very very ablest about the child they have together.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, she seems I've listened to her podcast a couple of times. She seems genuinely great. And I don't know at what point or maybe Chris Pratt came with a broken brain. But clearly he got like famous and his brain broke or something, and he's awful to their kid. It seems like he was awful to her. Anyways. I think she's very interesting and this was her first It might have been her first one of her first roles and definitely her first big role. But yeah, it like happened sort of. She had just like graduated from college and she was gonna go to London, and then they were like, wait, just take one audition in la and then and then it was this, and then she she had to be in them. I kep saying it had to like that she was four. I don't like, but she was in the first flour yikes too well. Anyways, I like her. Her and Regina Hall. I just am like they should make a different movie together. Agree, I would watch it.
Speaker 2: Let's write something for them, Okay, Okay, So we meet Cindy. She's in her bedroom. Her boyfriend Bobby climbed through her window and he's horny, horny, horny, and he wants to have sex, but she's a virgin and she wants to wait, thus initiating her entire arc. And we'll talk about that later.
Speaker 1: Not the electric fence underwear. Just nasty business, are we going? I mean, I guess we couldn't reference every offensive joke in the movie, but I'm just gonna single out the ones that upset me them up. Sure, Sure, the electric fence underwear. I was upset by her dad being friends with Pablo Escobar and being a drug trafficker. I guess I was neutral on that. I don't like the joke, shrug, but there is funny. I don't know, like, I don't know what it's again. I was like, I was trying to figure out, you know, where they were going with that, but it just sort of seemed like so there would be a guy being like, don't look at the drug or whatever.
Speaker 2: I think it's hashtag random humor.
Speaker 1: It's and in two thousand room from the hashtag. I mean, I feel like it really gets cooked in the back half of the two thousands. That's when we have the finger mustaches. We get these get pretty pretty thorny in the random apartment. But yeah, this is this is it begins.
Speaker 2: It begins. Okay, So we cut to the next day at school, we meet Cindy's friends Brenda played by Regina Holl. Brenda's brother Shorty played by Marlon Wayne's.
Speaker 1: And just for what it's worth, so most of the characters and scholarly journal Wikipedia, they let you know which character becomes which character. Billy Loomis Bobby Prince. I mean that's literally a one to one. He's often saying the exact same dialogue as Billy Loomis. It's I think he's maybe the most poorly realized character all of all of them, and at the end he's gay. They literally give him the last name Prince because he's also sort of based on a Freddie Prince Junior character. Right whatever, Shorty is supposed to be the Jamie Kennedy character in Scream. Regina Hall is supposed to be. I picked out the Brandy character from I Know What You Did Last Summer, but also I guess a Jada Pinkett Smith character from Scream two, which I have not seen.
Speaker 2: Uh huh. Anyways, okay, so those are those characters. Then we also meet Buffy, a friend of Cindy's, played by Shannon Elizabeth.
Speaker 1: I wonder what that's a reference to.
Speaker 2: No idea hard to say. Is there a famous buzz teen character.
Speaker 1: And it's in the nineties based on a character played by Sarah Michelle Geller. Also, I felt like that was more based on the Rose McGowan character, and I hate how they talk about her. I hate how they talk about her. It felt like the way it was written was intended. I mean, and maybe I'm wrong, but it just felt like, so the way she's introduced is so aggressively hateful of like that, like floody girl has no respect for herself. And it felt to me, based on how Rose McGowan was talked about in that time, it felt like a direct missive at her, not even at that character. It pissed me off quite frankly.
Speaker 2: It's very pissy. Yeah, so Buffy's boyfriend Greg, okay, whatever, he's heavy with Greg.
Speaker 1: He's yeah, many many such Gregs.
Speaker 2: I don't even know fucking the actor who plays him. I didn't write it down.
Speaker 1: Lachlan Munroe. Oh, very expensive sounding name. What else has he done? He's in White Chicks also, Oh and he was in Riverdale. Okay, that's interesting, Okay whatever. Next we meet Ray played by Sean Wayns, who is also Brenda's boyfriend. But there's all these constant jokes that he's actually gay. Literally, I think that there's there's a scene the sequence where they're ripping off I Know what you did last summer, which happens for about ten minutes and then kind of really doesn't come back up her again. I don't think that fifteen seconds passes without there being a gay joke from from or at this character. Yes, in the same way that like all the entire LGBT community is presented in this movie as predators, freaks exactly, Yes, like creeps, predators, whatever, Just like all of these broad stereotypes that it's really unpleasant to revisit of like, well, if someone is gay there attracted to every man they see, like you're like, ah yeah, nasty, and and also like ends up by extension, like the Regina Hall character being constantly like made a joke of of like how does she not know? And like whatever it.
Speaker 2: It sucks so bad. Okay. So they're all hanging out together at school and word has spread about their classmate Drew having been murdered. The press is on campus, including a reporter named Gail Hailstorm played by Cherio Terry.
Speaker 1: They didn't even change the name. They didn't even change the name of that character. Yeah, they changed the spelling. Chario terry. Not fair.
Speaker 2: Not fair. So the teens are wondering if Drew's death had something to do with them accidentally killing a man last year, and this is when we get the flashback that's a direct reference to I Know what You Did last summer where they hit a man with their car, dump him in the sea and agree to never tell anyone about it, although Cindy's like, I don't know, maybe we should tell the police.
Speaker 1: It's so weird because I feel like you could take that sequence out of the movie and nothing would change.
Speaker 2: Absolutely.
Speaker 1: But there was one joke, okay, there was one joke I liked in that sequence where the guy is fine, oh yeah, and he's like, oh good, no worries. I was like, okay, this is like a fun studio comedy joke where that But then of course the Ray character is like, I'll grab his ass. You're like, what there is okay?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, okay. So we cut back to the present. The reporter Gail approaches a character named Officer Doofy to try to get more information about Drew's murder, and we will talk about all of the very ablest things that are happening around this.
Speaker 1: Gundar fucking believable. I mean, and this is this character is directly and offensively mapped on the David Arquette character from Scream, whose officer Dewey get it?
Speaker 2: Whoa Yeah anyway, Okay. Meanwhile, at school, the ghostface killer is kind of like lurking around. He's leaving notes for Cindy. He leaves a photo for Greg, which is like this extended small penis joke. Then there's a scene where Buffy is participating in a beauty pageant and the killer murders Greg as he's watching his girlfriend like be in the beauty pageant. Actually, I kind of like that joke too, where it's like she will now do a dramatic reading and she like gives this performance which is just reacting to seeing her boyfriend. Right, yeah, it works. Yeah, more stuff like that, please, less of all the other horrible stuff.
Speaker 1: Or you know, just don't make the movie.
Speaker 2: Just don't make the movie was a completely movie necessary?
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay.
Speaker 2: So then she witnesses her boyfriend Greg being murdered. At home, Cindy gets a call from the killer who is inside her house and he attacks her, but then the cops show up and her boyfriend Bobby shows up and he has like the killer's knife and phone and gloves on him, so he seems very suspicious and is arrested. So then Sydney not Sydney, that's the Scream character Cindy. Cindy goes to spend the night with Buffy and then she gets another phone call from the killer, so it seems like, oh no, they locked up the wrong guy. And of course this also happens in Scream. So any drum had attention that you might be expecting from a movie while it's not really there because you already know what happens because they did it.
Speaker 1: And also you don't like one of the big successes of Cream.
Speaker 2: Five Cream, what is it? I?
Speaker 1: Oh, man, I liked five Cream And maybe maybe it's because I just I ride for Jenna Ortega, I have a crush on Jack Quaid. That movie works for me. Anyways. One of the successes of Scream is that it's clearly like commenting on stuff, but it still manages to like write characters that you care about for sure. Cannot be said. Cannot be said, especially because our final girl character the movie hates her. There is a running joke, well I would say it. I think it happens she's physically thrown around by various characters Cindy in multiple points. Yeah, Cindy, Yeah, and it's supposed to like build. I think that the three is like the first one is, you know, she's like pushed a little bit. The second one she's like body slammed you hear bones crack. Oh yeah, and then later she's blasted into the ceiling with come, which is I think one of the least pleasant things I've ever seen committed to film. Yeah, it's clearly a mannequin. But like this.
Speaker 2: Happens again in Scary Movie too, during the scene the references Titanic, and so that feels like a crime.
Speaker 1: I just feel like, yeah, I Regina Hall luckily. I mean, I want to see her in War, but I feel like Regina Hall has been able to escape this type of movie. I just feel like someone someone, someone Hollywood elite listening to our show, someone rescue Anna Faris from this type of movie. It's just not fair.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Okay, So anyway, the killer calls Cindy, so she's like, oh, no, it couldn't have been my boyfriend because he's in jail now, So who's calling me? And Bobby is released. Meanwhile, for some reason, Buffy does not believe that the killer is harassing Cindy, even though Buffy saw her boyfriend get murdered by the killer. Yeah, but this movie isn't interested in allowing women to have thoughts or logic.
Speaker 1: I literally do think, yeah, that they were just like Bimbo and they cast who, by all accounts, seems to be a lovely person. She's a huge animal rights advocate. But Shannon Elizabeth, who plays this character, was like, I didn't know this because I wasn't horny at the time, but you know, she was, like I guess, considered like a sex symbol of the time. She's also in the American Pie movies, so I feel like even having her in this kind of role was sort of meant to signal like, don't take this character seriously for sure, which is horrible.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she's the character in America and Pie who And I forget exactly how this plays out in that movie because not that I'm ever gonna fucking revisit.
Speaker 1: That, but like, I totally wiped it from my memory. I don't remember a single.
Speaker 2: Thing it again. It was unfortunately a movie that I was the target demo for when it came out, so yeah, I was familiar with it. But uh, like the big scene with her is when she's like undressing in front of a webcam, but I think doesn't know oh, because the Jason Biggs character, like, God, she's like, whatever, change clothes in my room, and then he like sets up a webcam that's like broadcasting video of her undressing, which she does not know about, and like broadcasting it to like everyone at school. And it's so it's like extremely exploitative and horrible, and that's like what made her famous. That's what she's famous for.
Speaker 1: We've and we've talked about this multiple times in the show, but I really do feel like the late nineties into the early two thousands was one of the low points for representation of women in general, which is wild, but I really do think it was like done better in the eighties and the seventies.
Speaker 2: I kept thinking as I was watching this that this movie is just like very emblematic of what American culture thought was edgy comedy. Yeah at that time, Like this is just like you need a reference point, like this is it. This is what we thought was good and funny.
Speaker 1: Right, And it's like and it bears out because it was like one of the most successful comedies like ever. I don't know, it's so weird, especially after having covered Young Frankenstein, a movie that came out nearly thirty years before this one. You know, there we had plenty of notes about it, and women do not play a you know, or anyone but sis, men don't play a significant role in the movie. But it's still there's far less to talk about than this. It's just wild, not to say I mean, I guess like tempering that with I'm sure that there were plenty of broad comedies in the seventies that were offensive in the way that this is, but this is like one of the definitive comedies of the early two thousands, And what does that say.
Speaker 2: I also just to take another little tangent here to prep to prepare for the new Naked Gun movie, which I do think I'll see. But I was hanging out with Brian the other night and he was like, let's watch the first Naked Gun and I was like, sure, I'll rewatch it, and then I realized I was like, wait a minute, I've never seen this. My point is that it's not, you know, a beacon of representation or inclusivity or anything like that. I mean, O. J. Simpson is in the movie for crying out on but it's actually pretty funny, Like I was, like the jokes, most of the jokes are not wildly problematic, and most of them are like pretty funny, goofy, like spoofy slapstick stuff.
Speaker 1: Sure, I feel the same way. I mean, I guess I haven't seen it in a long time, but like Airplane, I feel playing in the same category there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, right, So it's very possible to like do a silly spoof that isn't horrendously problematic.
Speaker 1: But I think it gets back to what you're saying where it's like it's a clear part of this movie's agenda to be edgy, which I would say is not really true of those other movies, like their number one goal is for it to be funny, where I've like this, this movie's number one goal is to be edgy to teenagers, and it does appear that it was successful. But is that a worthy goal?
Speaker 2: I would say no. No. So the Buffy character is like mocking her friend Cindy, being like, oh, you silly goose, You're lying about being hers by a murderer. He's not even real. And then the killer goes after Buffy and murders her.
Speaker 1: Well, she is a bimbo, so of course she's gotta go. Yes.
Speaker 2: We cut to Brenda and Ray at the movies. They're watching Shakespeare in Love, which is kind of hilarious to.
Speaker 1: Me, so bizarre because it's like they would have had to have gotten the rights for that. I'm curious what the story behind that is. Yeah, I didn't hate that joke, but I was just like, how did they make that? Oh? You know what, I'm pretty sure that that's a Miramax movie. Oh Okay, that's almost certainly what it was, because there's all of that really unfortunate, disgusting. I mean, there's a lot of anecdotes about Harvey Weinstein connected to Shakespeare in Love, where basically he bought that movie oscars and also I believe harassed Gwyneth Paltrow Miscoop herself. Anyways, I'm guessing that that's what it is. Is that is, I wouldn't surprised that was the Weinstein brothers just doing a random victory lap for a bunch of oscars that they purchased.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that said, I do like the movie Shakespeare in Love.
Speaker 1: I've never seen it. I've never seen it. It should be covered.
Speaker 2: I've seen it in a while. I think we'd have some stuff to talk about.
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, I'm down.
Speaker 2: In any case, Ray and Brenda are watching Shakespeare in Love. Ray goes into the bathroom and gets stabbed in the head by a penis you know what what?
Speaker 1: I obviously wrote that down, But this movie is so full to the broom with stuff like that that I honestly kind of forgot already that that happens.
Speaker 2: That happens. And then while this is happening, Brenda is in a very like caricaturish stereotypical way, is loudly talking throughout the movie, and the audience around her is getting very annoyed, so they all stab and kill her. And this entire sequence is a reference to Scream two.
Speaker 1: I see. Okay, I did not know that. Yeah, that that I like that. I'm glad that there is that Regina Hall brief interview clip about it. I wasn't able to find her talking about scary movie very much elsewhere, which is fair. But that's like the like loud girl stereotype that she's talking about, right, and I don't know. I mean, it's like, in some ways, I'm like, I, you know, I'm a white girl. I don't feel like it's my place to criticize necessarily. But also I think, like listening to Regina Hall talk about like that is very telling. So yeah, I'm gonna say I'm gonna say it. I think that sucks. I think it sucks. It sucks.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, Okay. So at Cindy's house, meanwhile, a party is happening and the killer goes after a woman in the garage and she's killed by the garage door, which is another direct reference to a scene from the first Scream movie, except this time it's very fat phobic.
Speaker 3: Hm.
Speaker 1: Because they had to get that in as well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're like, it seems like they just had a checklist for I mean, honestly.
Speaker 1: Because at some point you're like, well, I mean, at some point I remember thinking, I'm like, I'm waiting for a transphobic joke. Oh, and I didn't have to wait long.
Speaker 2: Nope, did I even include that in? Oh I don't even include that scene in the recap because I just wanted to barrel pasted.
Speaker 1: But because most well, yeah, I mean I don't even remember at what point in the movie that happens, because again, it's just very random. It's a scene. It's just Okay. The character's name is miss Man, and yeah, that's the brain power level we're working with here, played by Jane. I don't know how to say her last name, Jane.
Speaker 2: Not enough trick of vowels in it.
Speaker 1: Missing a vowel, is what I would say to Jane. Yeah, but Jane is a bodybuilder in real life. But I feel like we're supposed to interpret her character as a trans woman, do you like, due to the character miss.
Speaker 2: Man and the character having testicals and a penis.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's just like a horrific transphobic joke that the more I learned about, the worse it gets somehow.
Speaker 2: Because at first she's the joke is that she's a stereotypical gym teacher like predatory lesbian with masculine features who is like preying on her students. Then the joke becomes that she's a trans woman whose testicles are hanging out of her underwear, and everything about it is horrific, And again.
Speaker 1: Like in a similar vein, I think it's somehow worse, but in a similar vein to the repeated homophobic joke with Ray that Ray is attracted to every man he meets and will assault every man he meets if given the opportunity. The same logic is put onto the only canonically trans character also played by a SIS actor, Like just it's it's a nightmare. And I also really feel for Jane Tricca in this scenario too, because she's a professional athlete. This is her first movie appearance she's ever been in, and you know, it's just like it's it's horrifically transphobic first and foremost. And I also think it just like says a lot of anytime you see a woman, sis, trans whatever that is strong, it is made a joke of and I definitely hate that. And yeah, I think it's interesting, well that have we ever talked about the predatory gym teacher trope on this show because it is such a thing and I think it does like run the spectrum of gender as well. But I think, like, like you're saying, if the character is coded as a woman, it's a predatory lesbian. But I'm also thinking of the coach from Mean Girls as like a predatory man, and yeah, I'm thinking of Sue Sylvester. You know, like you're just you're just thinking of a lot of characters, and Sue Sylvester is an icon, Make no mistake, She's a legend. She's a problematic legend. But there's the trope, you know.
Speaker 2: Yea, Jane Trica, I'll just read you a list of the names of characters she has played in movies. In addition to Miss Man and her character, she's played a character named buff Babe bodybuilder guard Amazon, which I'm guessing refers to like wonder Woman and a tall Amazon woman kind of thing. Yeah, hospital security and bull Dyke number two. Like, so, if you're wondering if she has been type.
Speaker 1: Cast, yes, a yes, I would say yes, certainly. Yes. I will say. One of her cooler roles is she's in the Telephone music video with Lady Gaga and Beyonce. I watched the cliff because I was like, where is she in that? She's one of the prison guards who like brings Lady Gaga into the prison in that so, I'm like, at least after all this fucking bullshit she had to deal with, she got to hang out with Lady Gaga. Yeah, I guess that. I guess that's my whole feeling there. But I was like just relieved to see like someone on this list of collaborators who am like Oho, it seems like probably was respectful and kind to her.
Speaker 2: I hope.
Speaker 1: So also she is on Who's line? That's kind of fun. Oh yeah she did. She made a cameo appearance as herself on the Drew Carey Show. I'd be curious to know how she's framed, but she appears at herself and then apparently she and she and Drew hit it off because she was on whose line a couple times in the early two thousands, no kidding, and she was on Tim and Eric at one point. I don't feel it as so, you know, I I don't know, I don't know. She's Jane come on the show. But yeah, she does not return to this Gary movie franchise after this, and I'm glad for it because it's just like, that joke is offensive, but it's offensive on far more levels than I even understood one. So yeah, and as with many of the jokes at age horrifically with this movie, it has no bearing on the plot and could have been taken out.
Speaker 2: Indeed, Yeah, other things that could have been taken out. Is the storyline where Cindy is like, I don't know, should I have sex with my boyfriend who keeps trying to assault me. She decides at the party after drinking a lot, and so we can, you know, we'll talk all about this. But she is finally ready to have sex with Bobby, so she and him go to her room. Meanwhile, the Killer is busy smoking weed with Shorty and his stoner friends.
Speaker 1: This is the main scene I knew from this movie. It's like, okay because I remember seeing it like Halloween stores, they'd be the ghost face mask and then the stoner GHEs face.
Speaker 2: Mask, right, yeah, so he's he's just having a fun time and then he accidentally kills a bunch of the stoners. Sure, and then I guess he's like, oh right, I have to continue the plot of the movie. So then he comes into Cindy's room after she and Bobby have had sex, and it seems like the Killer stabs Bobby. But twist, it's the same ending as and there are two killers.
Speaker 1: I was so like, really really, and then they do add their own twist, But it's maybe the worst piece of friend ever committed to film.
Speaker 2: The twist is that Bobby is gay and has been I guess this whole time, and then.
Speaker 1: That Ray isn't is not gay, Okay.
Speaker 2: So we just don't really know what's happening about that.
Speaker 1: So we're laughing and it's funny.
Speaker 2: Okay. So so they're working in cahoots, Bobby and Ray, and they're doing the thing where they're like, okay, we kind of have to like frame someone else, so we have to stab each other. Ray stabs Bobby, but then a third ghost face killer shows up and stabs Ray. So those guys are dead now. And then this other ghost face killer tries to kill Cindy. There's a whole Matrix reference where they're like battling each other.
Speaker 1: I remember seeing clips of this. The number of bad Matrix parities done in the years after the Matrix is just like also as wild that like this movie came out because The Matrix came out in ninety nine. This movie came out in I mean, I know this movie was like made in just a couple of months, right, But if nothing else, the joke was topical. The joke sucks, but it was it was you know, the turnaround time is pretty impressive.
Speaker 2: I agree, you know what matrix reference in a movie that comes out after the matrix is good? What Shrek.
Speaker 1: So true? I'm so glad you said that. I feel better now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, Just ignore the matrix reference in scary movie. Think about the matrix reference in Shrek one.
Speaker 1: Yes, which is tasteful and really impressive because it came out two years later and it was animated. Yeah, so in a way even more impressive. There you go.
Speaker 2: Anyway, So this third ghost face killer, he like, escapes and presumably he's the person who the teens accidentally hit with their car last year. So the sheriff questions Cindy. She tells him about like, oh, yeah, it's probably this guy who we dumped in the ocean, and the sheriff is like, no, we found that guy. We found his dead body, so the killer has to be someone else. And then Cindy realizes its officer Doofy. There's a Usual Suspects reference where Doofy changes his gait, his appearance, his way of speaking.
Speaker 1: Oh I didn't know what that was a reference to.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's Usual Suspects. And now he's like cool and sexy question mark and he escapes with Gail Hailstorm. The end.
Speaker 1: Well, I think let's just talk about Officer Doofy right now, because it's just it is really awful, obviously because it is a one of the most broad offensive performances of a developmentally disabled character like ever committed, played by an actor who is not developmentally disabled, a guy named Dave Sheridan whatever. I don't know who this guy is, but I mean it's horrible and also not unusual for this time. I feel like it is important to mention across genres. I think it was still in the two thousands and throughout the film prior to this time. This is I think one of the more offensive displays of this trope, but actors playing developmentally disabled characters was very normal at this time. I think that the reason it's more offensive in this case is because it is in this like edgy broad comedy. But I'm also thinking of movies like I Am Sam, which came out with Sean Penn around this time. I'm thinking about True Confessions with Shilah buff I think about even going back Rauh, Dustin Hoffman and rain Man. I mean, like there is.
Speaker 2: I mean Forrest Gumpchorrest Gump.
Speaker 1: It was considered I think in the drama category it was considered oscar bait to do this oh very long time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that is very true.
Speaker 1: And in this case, obviously Dave Sheridan is not going for an oscar with this performance. He's just being extremely offensive and the whole I mean, and just humiliating the character in every way you could possibly imagine. They're humiliating him, like hygienically, they're humiliating him sexually, and also the predatory nature of the Shoreio Terry character in this like is just above and beyond. And then to learn that this was all done in service of the twist being he's not actually developmentally disabled, which, on top of it being offensive, makes no sense because he's Buffy. He's been Buffy's brother his entire life, Like, what do you mean He's been undercover for the plot of Scary Movie his entire life, right, it doesn't make sense. Like, so, on top of being offensive and bad for two thousand offensive, it also makes no sense, like.
Speaker 2: It's utterly nonsensical, as are most of the jokes in the movie, which are also incredibly problematic. I mean, yeah, it's just it's exhausting in Scary Movie too.
Speaker 1: What's what's he in Gilbert Gray? Sorry, I just thought of another. Oh yeah, sorry, could you oh correct? In Scary Movie two, ableism is also leaned into with a David Cross character and a Chris Elliott character. Interesting, and so many jokes are made at both of their expenses in really horrifying ways. But yeah, I mean I didn't even write down a whole lot of specifics. I just sort of went through the list of like I unfortunately did. I mean, I just wanted to sort of close out the discussion of Officer doofy. What it comes back to is like, like we've talked about, and I think as has become more standard practice, although not perfect, in the last ten to fifteen years, is that disabled actors should be playing disabled characters. And we've seen that in I mean, the movie that comes immediately to mind is Coda, and I know that, like unfortunately it's a Shilah buff movie. But The Peanut Butter Falcon is another movie. But a disabled actor would never want to be in this movie because the part is specifically written to punch down at them. And so it's like there is this twohund or going on where first of all, it's clear that the production of this movie would never consider hiring a disabled actor. And on top of that, they've written a part that is so offensive that a disabled actor would very likely never want to play it. So it's just like, I don't know it's creating it like reminds me of in different ways, but like in terms of inclusivity, how can a movie like this be inclusive when it is such a hostile environment creatively, right, where Like I've felt this way in different writers rooms I've been in right where it's like, oh, this is this movie is or this this room is heavily white men, especially like the further back you go, and you're like, okay, like the should be more diversity in this room. But how could there be more diversity in this room when it's so hostile to people who aren't white men? Like if I'm a white girl and I'm struggling in here, how Like it's just like, I don't know it. I feel like it really speaks to a very particular kind of comedy that is just like with some exceptions, And again I'm saying this about the two thousands, Wayne's brother world, right, but like it's just it's hostile for sure.
Speaker 2: I hate it and not that you'd really know based on how certain characters are written and portrayed in the movie. But this is a movie that's written and directed by black filmmakers. And as we already talked about with the Brenda character, and I would also say with the shorty character, still like lean into stereotypes about black characters.
Speaker 1: Which I think is like, I would be curious because I don't think. I don't know. Again, two white people tell me so, grain of salt. But again, like this with this Regina Hall clip, she does reference that. She's like, you know, part of the reason she decided to do Scary movie was because it was a parody, and so I think in her estimation at the time, she's like, well, yes, this is a very broad stereotype of black characters, but it's being written and directed by black creators, and it's supposed to be a parody of this broad character we see all the time, including in both of the movies. This movie is ripping off, which point fairly taken. But if that is the intention, which I totally believe it could be, it's not successful because it's not subverting anything. It's just doing it right. Worse right, like it's doing it worse. So how is that? I don't know where it's like, And again you get like shades of commentary that like the Wayne's brothers are fucking famously gray at like Hollywood shuffle dude. Like I think like the two jokes that felt like it wasn't just copy pasting a stereotype was the Titanic slash Amistad two joke, which if you haven't seen the movie first and foremost don't, but basically you see black characters saying I'm the King of the World a law Jack Dawson, and then it's revealed that it's on the Amistad a slave ship. Dark joke, but clearly trying to say something in the same way that like the in one of the many shot for shot parodies of Scream where Cindy has to like input, like what's your emergency and she puts in white women in trouble cut two cops, twelve cruisers like that it's funny, that's a that's like saying something. But the way that Brenda's character is written, like what is it doing if not just the stereotype, Like it's not meaningfully subverting it in any way, which is frustrating because you know that the Waynes brothers can and have done that, so why not here, And also especially with like the only black women in the movie, as Regina Hall, like I'm just like, ugh, it sucks, it sucks. And then yeah, Ray's character is I think generally more they're the oh well, all of the gay jokes are are Ray. I can't even too many to remember, too many to remember, but they're they're written to threaten other characters. They're written to humiliate Regina Hall's character, and that's generally what they're there to do, and to imply that he just will do sexual things to people without their consent, the finger and the butt in the car, like.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so it is horrible stuff like that. It is just like the general over sexualization of women between Carmen Electra at the beginning of the movie and then the Shannon Elizabeth character throughout the rest of the movie.
Speaker 1: And then the Anna Faris character too, Like the Anna Faris character is treated horribly and like you know, there, yes the bombshell quote unquote characters, characters interesting way that Anna Faris would later herself play but isn't playing in this movie because she's either was originally brunette or is wearing a brunette wig. I actually don't know which because she was late she's now famously blonde, but who knows.
Speaker 2: I don't know if it's like a die job.
Speaker 1: Hard to say, but she's playing the Sydney character who in the Kevin Williamson script is like not ready to lose her frigay whatever, which is commenting on Final Girl tropes. Uh right, Like that is the point of that character. But this movie is just like, well, what if we took that and made her not comment on anything but be a prude who we don't like, someone who is physically assaulted, someone who does lose her virginity when extremely drunk and gets blasted to the ceiling by com uh it just like she's yeah, the Cindy character, I don't I don't know if it was maybe just because and this is doesn't speak while either of like the Kermin Electric character. Everything they can do with her in five minutes they do in a way that is also commenting on her own career because you have the bay watchment whatever.
Speaker 2: And then she gets stabbed in the chest and like a silicone implant is pulled out and like that's a joke and sucks.
Speaker 1: It fucking sucks, But I yeah, I mean down to like I think that for me, like of all of the misguided and actively hostile things that this movie does, I think the treatment of the final girl's very telling because that is like such a horror movie classic and something that like Scream famously handles pretty well.
Speaker 2: Right because the Cindy character does have sex, and the trope of any sexually active woman has to be murdered in a slash suer movie that gets subverted in Scream because she has sex and she survives and it's.
Speaker 1: But the last shot of the movie is Cindy getting hit by a card, right like it's just like it.
Speaker 2: Also, it just seems that either scary movie doesn't understand what trope was being subverted in Scream, or they don't care because they're just.
Speaker 1: Like I would guess it's the it's the latter because I think that they're just like going for the edgiest laugh available at any given moment, because it's like these are smart writers, like there is so it's I just it. I yeah, I feel like the the litmus test for how this movie works, it sort of hangs in like how this indie character is treated and she's treated like a body, Like she's just treated like a body the entire time, and it sucks.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean again with her whole arc where she's you know, deciding whether or not or if and when she's going to feel ready to have sex for the first time. Like a story about a teen girl coming into her like sexual readiness can be a very compelling story, but the movie doesn't handle this with any kind of nuance. So much of it is.
Speaker 1: Because the movie hates women like them and for it not to be like old school Bechtel cast, But like, how else do you possibly just ribe the attitude towards women in this movie? They just hate. The movie hates you know, do the Wayne's brothers hate women? I hope not, but this movie definitely does.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yes, And with other examples we see too, where it's jokes that are disparaging of women who are sex workers. The yeah, I remember that all the times that like the Cindy character like gets the shit beaten out of her by a man, and that's the joke.
Speaker 1: Right, that's like a runner, that's the runner, And it like peaks with her getting like come blasted or whatever. It's just really really nasty.
Speaker 2: It's really nasty.
Speaker 1: And this is our protagonist, Like the movie hates its protagonist. What else do you need to know?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I did make note of a few jokes that I was like, okay, yeah, sheate the comedy in this.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so they're okay.
Speaker 2: The first one, I think it starts out seeming like, oh, they're gonna say something here, but then it just kidding where Buffy and Cindy and Brenda have like linked up and they're like walking around the campus of their school or whatever, and Buffy is saying, oh, you know, I just want to like help people and feed hungry people, and then the character who is coded as an unhoused man approaches them and asks them for a dollar. Buffy screams after she has just said, like I want to help feed hungry people, but she's like, oh, get away from me. So it seems like, okay, that's commentary on the way that people tend to treat unhoused people and dehumanize them and be unwilling to help them. Cindy is then like no, no, no, can't you see he's hungry and she gives him a sandwich and We're like, okay, that that could have been something. But then the unhoused man says, I said I wanted a dollar, you bitch, and then throws the sandwich at bad.
Speaker 3: So.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Which plays into all of these nasty stereotypes around on house people is that they are you know, hostile and misogynist and horrible. I think, what is the I mean, it's it's not the commentary is bad fundamentally, I do think that, and they're not trying to do this, but I do think it's like if you're trying, if you're speaking with an unhoused person and you're trying to figure out, like, you know, what she should have done there is ask them what they need, like what can I help you with? Versus like because I know that there's just like a billion stories of like you know, someone who needs help with male who needs help with their ID, and then you know, like some well intentioned person who is not listening gives them a granola bar and calls it a day, and they're like, I'm an amazing person. So it's like there, you know, again, there was an opportunity for a joke that was not punching down at an unhoused character, and that could even have been like commenting on Anna Faris's character of like thinking she was doing a good thing while also demonstrating that she wasn't listening and was sort of doing that more for herself then for the person she was talking to. But again, kind of a pointless thing to bring up because that's clearly not what they were trying to do. Yeah, and it never comes back. Yeah, I think that that was almost interesting with the Shannon Elizabeth thing, but then it like undercuts its own commentary immediately.
Speaker 2: Sure, and then you have the Bobby character, who a bunch of stereotypes about, you know, people living in poverty are deployed here where he lives in like a rundown trailer and.
Speaker 1: The next door to the school. Also, I was like, on time, there's so many jokes in this movie that, on top of being offensive, are also confusing, where it's like what is like.
Speaker 2: Huh, It's confusing. And also he's like he's an abusive person. He yeah, is constantly wearing his girlfriend Cindy down and trying to pressure her into performing sexual acts for him and all this stuff. So yeah, just a lot of nasty stuff. The jokes that I do that I do like because there are a handful early on the characters are like, if this were a horror movie, they'd cast people in their late twenties and early thirties to play us. And then it's visibly a cast of people in their late twenties and thirties.
Speaker 1: Thirties feels generous for a couple.
Speaker 2: The scene where I think it's after Buffy has died or something like. The joke is that Cindy and Bobby are talking a about someone and you assume that it's one of their friends, maybe Buffy, maybe someone. But they're like, she's gone and she's not coming back. And Bobby's like, that was over a year ago. You have to move on. And then Cindy says, but Ginger was such an important member of the Spice Girls.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, I'm laughing.
Speaker 2: That's a funny joke.
Speaker 1: That's funny. That's funny.
Speaker 2: The scene where the woman goes into the garage to get more beer. Obviously, again there's a lot of fat phobia surrounding this character, and.
Speaker 1: If you could even call them a character, because who is this person?
Speaker 2: Well, she she kind of makes a joke about that. She's like, come on, I'm just a day player, yeah, which oh yeah, yeah, funny, funny. And then upon her first going into the garage, there's some disturbance and then it's revealed to be a cat and she's like, oh, kitty, you scared me. And then there's another one and then there's a horse there. Yeah, she says, you scared me. Funny.
Speaker 1: That felt like a very like mel Brooksy kind of.
Speaker 2: Joke totally, as does the joke where Cindy and Bobby are in her bedroom. She says, it's not as though this is a movie, and he's like, it is a movie. See, there's the sound guy, there's the script supervisor.
Speaker 1: The same thing, but they bump the camera does a you know, bumps into her.
Speaker 2: Which are okay, two jokes literally from Spaceballs, where a camera like pulls into far and like bonks the Rick Morana's character on the head. And then there's another.
Speaker 1: That's the reason I have to watch Spaceballs is because I have a forever crash on.
Speaker 2: Rick moranis well you know who else is in it, John Candy, also Bill Pullman and also Joan Rivers. It's a great cast.
Speaker 1: Okay, So that's like a lot of crushes. That's a lot. That's a lot wow, Bill Pullman, and then there and then there's the Bill Pullman too, I know, all right.
Speaker 2: And then there's also a scene in Spaceballs where they have to figure out what to do next, so they consult the script of Spaceballs. Okay, and that's funny.
Speaker 1: Okay, fun okay, fine, you learn it's fun anyway.
Speaker 2: Every other joke though, in Scary movie is the most offensive, reductive piece of shit you couldn't even possibly think of.
Speaker 1: It sucks. It sucks, you know. Even if it is the most successful Wayne Brothers raunchy comedy, it is also the most brain dead one because I haven't watched White Girls in many years. But it's it's saying something, you know, like there isn't there's just like I think that the real issue with this movie is like that there is no agenda and it doesn't feel like the movie has a particular fondness for I mean, I think part of why if we're talking about like the differences between this and Young Frankenstein, obviously there's a lot, but I feel like a lot of why even the more badly aging elements of Young Frankenstein at its or you can tell that it was made by someone who has a lot of affection for the source material. I do not feel this here, but I do not feel this here. I feel like they like horror movies, but especially because the movies they ripping off are so recent. It just doesn't feel like it's because of how the joke that wins or that ends up in the final script is never what is in conversation with the source material. It's always like, what is the most edgy thing we could do in this moment. It just feels ultimately like there, from moment to moment, they're not really thinking about the source material at all. They're just like regurgitating it in a more offensive way where you know, Young Frankenstein, as we talked about, like not not all of it works, but you can tell at very least that like mel Brooks is thinking about the Frankenstein story, which again is like such a low bar to clear. But it just like in this movie that is at times a shot for shot, word for word parody of Scream, it doesn't feel like they care about what Scream was trying to do. Like there's and and the fact that you know this Sydney Cindy stand in they hate this character they're beating the shit out of her and like really not making much of an effort outside of I would say Anna Faris's performance to try to endear us to her, what is it for in that case? Like, I guess it really comes down to, like what is the function of a movie like this? And the answer is, most likely don't think too hard about it, like to make money. Yeah, it's a commercial endeavor. I mean, I wouldn't be surprised if this is like, you know, if you're thinking logistically or the Waynes Brothers. You know, their show just got canceled and like, you know, there's a big disappointment. Yeah, maybe you do take the big swing and go for the big you know, brain dead studio comedy to you know, keep yourself in the game. Its streats rategically makes a lot of sense, but it just feels so I don't know. I wouldn't say devoid of passion. It's clear that, like it seems like people are generally having fun making this terrible movie, but it just feel there's just a void about it. It feels like you're saying, it feels very very very very commercial, which isn't always a bad thing, but in this case is because it is not saying anything. It seems to have very little affection for its source material, and you know, is actively seeking to offend in a way that I mean that people still do now unfortunately, where it's like how many shitty edge lord comics you know, become infuriated when they're like, oh, you can't laugh at that, and it's like, well it wasn't funny, like you know, our choosing edginess. Well, this isn't the case for the Way Brothers, like we're There's a lot I'm thinking of like a bunch of edge large comics who who go edgy because they never were funny and now they and they need to manufacture a reason why no one is laughing, which is tragic, but many such cases. But the Winds Brothers are funny, So why are they doing this? I think it's like commercial, like it's money, a really kind of gross way to make a lot of money. I think I agree.
Speaker 2: I was looking up how this movie was reviewed at the time, and it was generally not super favorably, where a lot of critics pointed out the like crude and tasteless humor, although some of them were like, well, despite that I still lived left loved it, such as a Variety critic named Joe Leyden was basically like, yeah, you know, there's certainly no political correctness here, and the like limits of our rated respectability are stretched, if not shredded, but then says, but you'll laugh until you're ashamed of yourself. I mean, which honestly, in two thousand, like people were like that guy.
Speaker 1: But also it seems like that is true, and like it's so very a sign of the times that like it was so widely acceptable. And I think that, like in that review alone like speaks to how male reviews are and how directly and not to say that women didn't see and enjoy this movie. You don't make two hundred and seventy eight million dollars, you know, for nothing, But but I do feel it's like it's so clear who the intended audience of this movie is, and it's men. And yeah, just like what a strangle holds the young male demographic had on movies and culture at most points in history. But I think again, just like there's something about the late nineties early two thousands is just like so completely egregious in this department right where like literally she gets blasted to the wall with come, I can't. I can't say it can't. I first stay so upsetting. I found it so upseting. There it was Grant walked in. Greg came home for work last night while I was watching that scene. He's like, suck.
Speaker 2: Like it's like I'm at work right now, I mean, speaking from experience, the target, yeah, is like who who's gonna Who's gonna laugh at these jokes? It's probably gonna be like teen boys and because of the world centers everything around them and caters to them. Like I was like, well, all my friends are going to the like it was like I'll go along. And I probably fucking laughed at the time. I don't remember. Again, I was laughing at scary movie too, I guess enough to see it three times or whatever.
Speaker 1: And there's nothing The thing is like that there's I mean whatever is part of what our shows about, Like there's nothing wrong with that. I feel like what is so because I think of like I'm trying to think of, like what my real definitive, Like this movie hates women and I called it one of my favorites for a long time. There's plenty of them, but like how much of that is a symptom of like how we were conditioned to see ourselves at that time and.
Speaker 2: Right, because like if there is a movie that's quote unquote for chicks, like a rom com, it's not as though men were like, sure, I'll go with my like you know, girl friend migal pals to that movie. They would have no interest in that. But it was like, well.
Speaker 1: That has kind of changed overtime too, which a shit, yeah yeah, but it was like the idea is like, well, what activity appeals to the men in the group, right, regardless of your taste or gender or whatever.
Speaker 2: You're You're like, well, this is what we're doing because that's what the boys want to do. And I saw so many movies that way. But totally going back to the reviews are sometimes friend, sometimes enemy. Roger Ebert our.
Speaker 1: Friend of me. What did he have to say?
Speaker 2: Oh, well, he gave the film three out of four stars, incorrigible. He says that it quote delivers the goods and called scary movie a raucous satirical attack on slasher movies. And it's like, sir, do you mean scream because sure, but if you're talking about scary movie, that's really incorrect.
Speaker 1: Really really weird. Yeah, I wonder if to what extent I mean, like, was he because I could see at the time, like, if you were just a fan of the Waynes Brothers, maybe you would give this movie the benefit of the doubt. And there's definitely a movie that I've that's a jump to Roger Ebert, right whatever, Like, but I'm like trying to think of like what could he possibly be on about. Like there's people who I've been like, oh, this must be commentary because otherwise this is horrible. But like I don't know, I don't know. Yeah, that's a that's a no, babe, that's a no. You were wrong.
Speaker 2: He was wrong on that one. I don't really have a whole lot else to say. I don't really want to talk about this movie anymore.
Speaker 1: It's really actually so unpleasant And.
Speaker 2: Ma, trans why did you do this?
Speaker 1: I hope you I hope this is what you want. Oh. The last thing that I noticed that this is unfortunately the one joke that I thought aged horrifically. Well. Did you catch one of Regina Hall's first lines is about a party that underage girls were at at Ditty's house. Yeah, and you're like, this joke is twenty five years old and he's in court now. Yeah, so yeah, that was something I picked up on. Yeah, I think we could keep going. I mean, they just there's a million tiny jokes that have no bearing on the plot because there is no plot because the plot is screamed.
Speaker 2: A joke that like trivializes suicide real close until the roofies wore off.
Speaker 1: That's another one that, like the the carbon electric character, it's I forget which of the fucking.
Speaker 2: Dufist guys, it's the Shorty character.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: There are several jokes about adults praying on teenagers, and there's a really weird joke at the very end of the movie where Cindy's dad, who I forget the name of that actor, but he's in Groundhog Day. I recognize him from that. But he says something like he's like, did you get any of your girlfriend's numbers for me? And she's like, no, they all died, not like no, you shouldn't be fucking praying on team.
Speaker 1: But it's like the movie knows exactly what it's doing there, like it's not I don't know.
Speaker 2: But then he says to his own daughter, yeah, as she's like leaving to go off with the sheriff for questioning or whatever. He's like, call me the way that you would say to a character that you're romantically interested in. He's like call me.
Speaker 1: Oh, It's like, yeah, what are you talking about?
Speaker 2: That's your daughter?
Speaker 1: Oh I guess I didn't take it that way. Oh really I would like, I guess I did. I mean I could, yeah, maybe that, But I mean by the end of the movie, I was just.
Speaker 3: Like like just letting it wash behind me, like it just it just Yeah, I'm going through my list of jokes I hated.
Speaker 1: Oh when she gets hit on by the cop, that was another like adult praying on a kid. Ye, let's see what else? Yeah? Uh Gail uh, fat shaming and various racist bullying of her cameraman. They parody that moment between Sydney and Gail weathers that is a great moment and scream in the worst most annoying way possible, where literally Gail just shouts at Cindy, your ass looks fat and then she and then Cindy punches her in the face. You're like, that's one of the Bessie then scream how dare they how dare they do that dare. What else do we got? Oh? The one of the jokes I did know from this movie was the Blair Witch joke with the horrible cgi snot bubble that looks like CGI that sucked? What else do we got? What else do we got? So many bad?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 1: This one is just a bad joke. They make out and then their tongues get tied together like it's Roger Rabbit or something. What the fuck was that all about?
Speaker 2: Shrug? Oh?
Speaker 1: And then the and then and then when they do have sex, which is problematic as it is, she's like, I've been waiting for this for a long time, which they demonstrate by having her have like gigantic pubes that he has to change saw and I was like, bury yourself alive for that one. That one was really bad. Uh. Yeah, that was my That was my list of jokes. We didn't get to that. I hated.
Speaker 2: So nasty this movie.
Speaker 1: It is just move filed under a movie with dark aura. I think I gotta start making a letterbox list of that, because this and Sixteen.
Speaker 2: Candles are started.
Speaker 1: The immediate movies that come to mind with movies with the dark aura.
Speaker 2: I would add, Oh, actually, the Fairly Brother speaking, going back to our conversation about ableism and movies, they are obsessed with it. Yeah, and there's something about Mary. I would also.
Speaker 1: Include oh, yes, movie with a dark aura. Yeah. And then weren't the fair the ones that like one an Oscar for the Green Book?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 1: I literally I think I was like so annoying about it at the time that I gave a quote to the Washington Post in spite of having no power at all. But I really despised that moment in movies post Me Too, Like two years post Me Too, we talked about this on the show, where all of the you know, misogynists to start directors of these big broad comedies of the nineties and two thousands, all of a sudden made their woman movie or made their like commentary movie and started winning fucking Oscars for it. There was also what was that that Fox News movie that sucked ass?
Speaker 2: Oh bomb show.
Speaker 1: That Joker, the Fairly Brothers waiting for Green Book. It's like just opportunistic bullshit. None of the movies hold up. I know people do like Joker, that's their business whatever, but like any of the like, I get it. I really want to cover that on the show. Someday, just overall, I want to like, now that it's there's been enough time, maybe I should just write about it or something, But like really pulling together that period of like two or three years post b two where it was men processing their feelings about feeling bad they portrayed women and then calling it feminism and winning Oscars and what the fuck was that all about? I hated that it was.
Speaker 2: It was bad. Does scary movie past the Bechdel test?
Speaker 1: That can't be true.
Speaker 2: I don't know. I didn't pay attention.
Speaker 1: Let me double check.
Speaker 2: I couldn't be bothered.
Speaker 1: Let me double check scholarly Journal, Bechdel test dot com. I feel like this is just a waste of my one human life. Like, of course, wait, scary movie, but oh okay Bechdel test.
Speaker 2: I mean I could see Cindy and Buffy or Cindy and Brenda maybe talking about something.
Speaker 1: It might I don't know it might, but let's just say it doesn't.
Speaker 2: Spiritually, No, yeah, spiritually, this movie hates women. So even if its technically pass, who cares?
Speaker 1: Oh okay, wait it does technically pass. Let's see. Let's see, well, let's see if it passes our version of test. Because this is from Wow, really really going above and beyond this week. This is from a listical from twenty twenty two on Entertainment Weekly dot com. Movies you wouldn't expect passed the Buckel test, but do thank you really helpful. Okay, scary movie. All it says is the scariest thing about this movie is it passes the Buckdel test. Okay, I don't know.
Speaker 2: Sure, let's go with that. But also nipplescale wise negative five negative a million.
Speaker 1: Negative a million, adding it to the list of movies with a dark aura. They're far better Wayne's Brothers movies TV shows is set to watch, just watch Hollywood Shuffle, watch White Chicks, like you know, just just don't watch this.
Speaker 2: No, I still have never seen White Chicks.
Speaker 1: I haven't seen it since I was a kid, so maybe maybe don't see it. I don't know. I saw what it came out. Anyways, at least that movie is trying to do something. This movie is trying to make money and it was successful at it, and they tend to be very bleak movies to watch later on because it just feels somewhat craven and wish it was.
Speaker 2: Wes craven who directed Scream?
Speaker 1: Who directed Scream? Anyways, this movie's obsessed with Kevin Williamson. I tried to find out if he had ever commented on its existence, and iconically he has never acknowledged its existence, even though they did better than all of his movies, which is also, you know, an affront. Anyways, if I had nipples, I would give them to Jane Trica, but I don't.
Speaker 2: And there you have it, our unlocked episode on Scary Movie. For other still locked up behind the paywall episodes, which is most of our Matreon content. You can subscribe to that at patreon dot com slash Bechtel Cast. It's five dollars a month, which gets you two bonus episodes every single month, plus access to our back catalog of over two hundred episodes. So scoot over there, do the right thing, become a matron. You won't regret it, and we will be back next week with a brand new episode, so we will see you then.
Speaker 1: The Bechdel Cast is a production of iHeartMedia, hosted and produced by me Jamie Loftus and.
Speaker 2: Me Caitlyn Durante. The podcast is also produced by Sophie Lichtermann and.
Speaker 1: Edited by Caitlyn Durrante. Ever heard of them?
Speaker 2: That's me and our logo and merch and all of our artwork in fact are designed by Jamie Loftus ever heard of her?
Speaker 1: Oh My God? And our theme song, by the way, was composed by Mike Kaplan.
Speaker 2: With vocals by Katherine Voskrasinski.
Speaker 1: Iconic and especial thanks to the one and only Aristotle Ascevedo.
Speaker 2: For more information about the podcast, please visit Linktree Slash Spectelcast