Speaker 1: Put on this morning, let's roll.
Speaker 2: Uh, you know, Chris McCaffrey running to the NFL rushing title last year maybe not an overlooked because you guys were in the midst of a Super Bowl run. Yeah, And how is that celebrated internally with you guys?
Speaker 1: And just.
Speaker 2: How much of it is an effort to repeat that because I don't reflect team's success.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think I think a lot of accomplishments of his might have gotten overlooked last year. You know, he had the touchdown record going on, the rushing title, he's in the MVP race, All.
Speaker 1: Pro Pro Bowl.
Speaker 3: You know, when when you got so many accolades going on, sometimes it's hard to acknowledge all of them. But we try to. We try to appreciate everything in that room. And that's that's something Christian and I talk about every day, even even now in training camp, just appreciating, uh, the opportunity that we have to be out here with one another and to all work towards a common goal and just you know, be the absolute best at we can. So we try to try to really appreciate that and not take for granted what, you know, what we've done and what we can do with him, you know.
Speaker 2: Not practicing for last week or so. I mean, he's freshening up, getting ready for the season.
Speaker 1: Still.
Speaker 2: I guess what's his mindset DC going into this year.
Speaker 3: He always is super determined. He's always striving for more. You know, it really is never enough for him. And you can see, you know, it's killing him not to be out there. Uh, he's always chomping at the bit. And uh he makes sure to remind me every day that he's getting a little bit closer and he's gonna have cleats on that grass here at no time.
Speaker 1: And you know he's gonna be Christian McCaffrey.
Speaker 3: He's gonna go do his thing and do one of the best players in the world.
Speaker 1: What why is Bobby turning?
Speaker 3: Because he's the best in the world of what he does and he loves it. I don't I don't think there's anything else that he would rather be doing. You know, he tells us all the time. He'll he'll wake up in the middle of the night, he'll just he'll just chuckle to himself about a joke that we've had in our room and all of us laughing together, and just how tight of a group we are and how much success we've had together. And I think that's just what drives him. And uh, I think he truly truly loves the game, and he loves coaching.
Speaker 1: You know that room. I mean Christian, I mean he coaches everyone. He's a Christian either you does it sometimes take guys like rookies, guys that just get here a second to as to it seems like a very old.
Speaker 3: For sure, It definitely does, you know, because not everybody coaches the same. And like you said, he coaches very hard. You know, he's he's gonna be very strict. He's gonna be making sure you're on top of every assignment. You know, he doesn't even he doesn't let Christian and I, you know, loosen up at any point, like you know, we got to be on our stuff.
Speaker 1: We're still my eighth year with him.
Speaker 3: I still do a running back test before every game and those are a good eight pages. And and that's just you know, that's how he is. But I, I really truly have grown.
Speaker 1: I've always I've always loved Bobby, but I.
Speaker 3: Each and every year I appreciate him even more because it is easy sometimes when you've done things for so long and you've done the same things to let up a little bit, to get just a little bit lackstaysical, but he makes sure that can never happen and that you are on top of it. And I've never gone into a game feeling unprepared. He is make sure you are always feel prepared.
Speaker 1: And confident in everything you do.
Speaker 3: Yes, you gotta you gotta turn it in the day before, the night before the game. It is a printed out, written test, typically right before we go on the plane when we travel, or Saturday morning and were at home.
Speaker 1: You know what, you don't get it back.
Speaker 3: You turn it in, but if there's anything alarming, he'll be sure to let you know. Yeah, having said all that, I realized there's injuries in cold But as a veteran, how much preseason time do you think, you guys that first team offense needs just to kind of feel comfortable going into week one. Yeah, you know what, it's a case by case basis. I really think that really is kind of like a player by player thing. I know it always, you know, it feels good for the first group to go out there and have a successful drive under your belt, and it just you know, you have that confidence that you already did it.
Speaker 1: But I'm quite confident either route that we go.
Speaker 3: If the starters play a little bit, great, If we don't take a single snap, great. It doesn't make too much of a difference to me. I think preseason that I think the biggest thing is for young guys, but there are there are veterans that needed to So it's very much case by case.
Speaker 2: Brandon's contract status.
Speaker 1: But Trent isn't here at all. What are you missing with him?
Speaker 2: Not only on the field but in.
Speaker 1: The locker room? Yeah, I mean, Trent's an incredible leader.
Speaker 3: You know, He's got this this aura around him that you know, obviously we all think so highly of him, and he's so talented, and you know, people love just people seem to gravitate to him. So when he's around, it just it builds a camaraderie. It definitely pushes other offensive linemen just you know, to meet that standard. But I really am confident that he'll be here soon and I think we'll get things figured out.
Speaker 2: Your mindset as a return guy with the new rules, and what do you think of like Grenda and Debo as.
Speaker 3: Returners it seems are Srader and Debos. Yeah, I think it's gonna be a really interesting play. I'm quite excited for it once the regular season starts. I don't think you're gonna see too much in preseason. Nobody wants to show anything, especially because it's you know, never been done. But guys like Deebo, like Grendo, like Schrader, they're gonna fit that role very well.
Speaker 1: Is it's very much like a wide.
Speaker 3: Zone run play in that you're kind of you know, you're catching the ball close. You know, those are almost you know, those are your offensive linemen. And when you're you're pressing it like a wide zone and you're kind of making one cut and those what That's what those guys do every single day. So I think they fit that role pretty good.
Speaker 2: Again, told us that he had a little bit of a rough start with him.
Speaker 1: Was there a turning point that you saw, Go ahead and give an example. I'm not.
Speaker 3: I'm not gonna put too much out there, but you know we talked about earlier. Sometimes it takes some getting used to, uh, you know, a certain style of coaching. And when JP came here, Bobby t wasn't here. He was on a little leave of absence, and he showed up I think around like week four or five that season, so you know, he hadn't Bobby T hadn't been JP's coach yet, and so he was kind of you know, he's being coached in a different style, and so it just took time for him to adjust.
Speaker 1: I think they've done a phenomenal job.
Speaker 3: I think what stands out with these rookies for me at least, is their intelligence and their understanding of the playbook. I think they do a really good job, especially in meetings, just understanding their assignment. And when they do make mistakes, which we all make mistakes we're in the heat of battle, even when you know what you're supposed to be doing, they do a great job of Like when we're watching the tape, before Bobby T can even get to the corrections, nine times out of ten they'll say exactly what they did wrong. And that's good. If if you make a mistake and you don't know you made a mistake, now you're you're in trouble. But if you make a mistake and right away you know, shoot.
Speaker 1: I wasn't supposed to do that, I was supposed to do this, it's a lot easier to clean up and move on. From there.
Speaker 2: Is a rookie, this guy and the other guys if or whatever. But is he is that grown more?
Speaker 1: I mean, does he have more advantage.
Speaker 2: To him or is he kind of stayed the same as far as.
Speaker 1: I think.
Speaker 3: I think it's kind of stayed the same because it was, you know, it was a pretty high bar from the beginning. I just love his understanding of the playbook has has really grown where he can point out when other.
Speaker 1: People make mistakes very very quickly.
Speaker 3: I love, like, you know, a third down, I'm in protection in the in the backfield, like he'll let me know. As soon as we get lined up, he's like, hey, you're gonna be hot, like you know, just like little things like that that you can just tell. Like he has a full understanding of what's going on there and it's not just what he has to know. Now he's kind of understanding what everyone else has to do.
Speaker 1: Yep. I think