Speaker 1: You're listening to part Time Genius, the production of Kaleidoscope, and iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: Guess what, Mango?
Speaker 1: What's that? Will?
Speaker 2: Actually, before I share something with you, I've got to ask you. Are you a Spider Man fan?
Speaker 1: I think less and less with each movie, but I was a Spider Man fan at one point.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, Well you obviously know. I have one kiddo that, for probably a year or so, was wearing a Spider Man costume into every local restaurant to where people working at those restaurants would just know our kid as Spider Man. And so it's pretty funny. We've been watching Spider Man films for a long time now. But UH got a fact for you, so you may be interested to know that the Library of Congress has the original Spider Man drawings, like from the very first time he appeared in print.
Speaker 1: That has to be the one where, like Peter Parker is getting bitten by a radioactive spider I'm guessing right.
Speaker 2: The one and only. So in two thou and eight, an anonymous Downer gave the library twenty four black and white drawings. This was from the August nineteen sixty two issue of Amazing Fantasy Now it's funny to look back on because apparently Marvel wasn't sure people would like this new character. The first page of the comic reads like costume heroes. Confidentially, we in the comic mag business refer to them as long underwear characters, and as you know, they're a dime a dozen. But we think you may find our Spider Man just a bit different. It's funny how they were just like setting this up as though.
Speaker 1: It might selling him out.
Speaker 2: It's just so weird. But you know, what's particularly cool about these drawings is that you can see some of the back and forth artist Steve Ditko had with Marvel publisher Stan Lee. For example, on one page where Peter Parker has jumped out of the way of a car, Stan wrote a note in the margins, quote, Steve, make this a covered sedan, no arms hanging. Don't imply wild reckless driving. It's pretty great.
Speaker 1: That's such a strange thing to be concerned about. I mean, you've got this guy like slinging webs all over the place, and you're worried about a driver with his arms out.
Speaker 2: That's pretty well.
Speaker 1: It is amazing that there's a copy in the Library of Congress, though.
Speaker 2: I know, and the library actually has over one hundred and sixty five thousand original comic books, but that's just a tiny part of its collection. It's considered the largest library on the planet, with over one hundred and seventy eight point two million items. Is of course include books, newspapers, music, maps, posters, photographs, and more, which means these nine facts will barely scratch the surface. But you got to start somewhere, so let's dive in. Hey, their podcast listeners, welcome to Part Time Genius. I'm Will Pearson, and as always I'm here with my good friend mangesh Hot Ticketer on the other side of that booth. Hidden behind stacks and stacks. I mean, I can't books. There are so many stacks of books. That's our friend and producer, Dylan Fagan. He's also taped a sign to the window. It says, down with Dewey, adopt the Dylan decimal system. Always getting bald today.
Speaker 1: I had no idea he'd been working on a system of his own.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think he's I think he's trying to make it a thing. We'll see how it goes. But I have confidence in Delai.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I obviously support Dylan and whatever he does. But anyway, to kick off this episode about the Library of Congress, let's talk about what it actually is. So, as the name suggests, it is a library for Congress and the rest of government, but it's also a library for the public. In fact, anyone sixteen or older can go there to do research. And the current Library in of Congress is Carla Hayden. She's the fourteenth ever head and also the first ever woman and the first person of color to have that job. And besides running the library and leading acquisition efforts, I had no idea about this, she's also responsible for managing the US Copyright Office and for choosing the Poet Laureate each year, which is amazing. I had no idea that the responsibilities extended that far.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Either, these responsibilities didn't exist in eighteen hundred when the library began. That year, President John Adams signed a bill providing five thousand dollars to buy books that congressmen might find useful, including histories of the Roman Empire and other European countries, and the books were stored in a room in the Capitol. So when the building was set on fire by the British and this was back in eighteen fourteen. Three thousand of those books were destroyed. Now that was most of the collection. Thomas Jefferson was so upset that he actually offered to sell his own personal library to the government to help at restock, and Congress agreed to pay him about twenty four thousand dollars for over six thousand books. It was closer to six thy five hundred. Now. Unfortunately, there was another fire in eighteen fifty one that actually destroyed a lot of Jefferson's books plus others in the collection. But it was built back up and finally put in a fireproof room. That is until the library needed its own building, which it got in eighteen ninety seven. And that's now known as the Thomas Jefferson Building, which is right near the Capitol.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I've been in there before, and it truly is just a gorgeous place.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it is. And it's just one of the Library's five buildings. There are three on Capitol Hill and two in the DC suburbs, but the Thomas Jefferson Building is definitely the most famous one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And it makes sense. So actually I read a lot about this building. It is made up of four hundred thousand cubic feet of granite, as well as fifteen kinds of marble, gold, bronze, and mahogany. It was modeled on the Paris Opera House and designed in the bows Art style, which was very popular in the late nineteenth and early twentieth century. I think symmetry, opulence, lots of columns with decorations, big halls, staircases, that sort of thing. So when the building opened to the public in November first, eighteen ninety seven, people lined up to enter, and within minutes they began requesting books. You want to guess what the first request.
Speaker 1: Was, Dale Carnegie is How to win friends and influence people.
Speaker 2: Very very very close. Actually not close at all. No, the very first request in the new building was for a book called Year Book by Roger Williams. But it had just been published and the library hadn't actually secured a copy yet.
Speaker 1: That is very embarrassing that the first first book requested wasn't there. So was there a second request? There was, and it was for a book called History of the City of New York by Martha Lamb, which had been published in eighteen seventy seven, So no problems there, and actually how you requested the book back then was pretty cool. Do you remember going through to like a drive through bank. I actually think about this a lot, like how futuristic it felt. And when you put that like you put it like that stuff in a tube, and I just like watching my mom. It felt like watching the Jetsons or something.
Speaker 2: It was pretty much believe it or not. I actually did this not too long ago, and yes I remember going there as a kid. But they don't put a sucker in there anymore. That's the downside once you get old. It was the best part that was Yeah, that was really the reason to go. But the library also used the system of these pneumatic tubes for book requests. So first you'd fill out a ticket with the book you were looking for, and then the slip would be sent via tube to the appropriate shelf where a staff member would find the book and send it back via tube. The whole thing took I don't know, maybe like five minutes or so.
Speaker 1: That is pretty incredible and I had no idea. Another way books have been delivered for years is through a series of tunnels.
Speaker 2: Ooh, whenever somebody says tunnels and I think libraries, I feel like, this is the kind of secret I've been waiting for.
Speaker 1: Mega. So, as you mentioned, in eighteen ninety seven, the Library of Congress made a big move from the Capital to the Jefferson Building. But the problem was this new building was about a quarter of a mile away, and congressmen didn't have the time to work that far when they needed a book, especially if Congress was in session. So the Army Corps of Engineers built a special underground tunnel to connect the two buildings.
Speaker 2: It was just six feet.
Speaker 1: High, four feet wide, and about eleven hundred feet long, and it was made entirely of brick.
Speaker 2: I'm curious, so how does it help the members of Congress get there faster?
Speaker 1: Yeah, it really didn't. The tunnel included telephone wires and pneumatic tubes for conveying book requests from Congress to the new library building, and most excitingly, there was a special book carrying apparatus that carried books and other materials through the tunnel via an electric conveyor system with tracks. Now, the system could move books at around six hundred feet per minute, which meant that a book could arrive at the Capitol just a couple of minutes after a request came in, though Congressmen did start complaining about it because often it would take about twenty five minutes for a request to be delivered upon.
Speaker 2: I mean that still seems pretty fast.
Speaker 1: It does to me too. And the tunnel was effective enough that ninety another was built to connect the library to the Supreme Court, and then another to connect the main Jefferson building to the John Adams Library building across the street.
Speaker 2: So do these tunnels still exist or rather, do they still kind of whisk books back and forth between the buildings.
Speaker 1: So Sadly, when they were building the new Capital Visitors Center in two thousand, the Capital section of the tunnel was destroyed and the library section was sealed. But a pedestrian tunnel that connects the library to the Capitol building is still around and it's actually open to the public.
Speaker 2: All right, Well, there's a bunch of stuff that people can obviously still see, and so we're going to talk about some of those things right after a quick break. Welcome back to part time Genius. Today, we're revealing nine secrets about the Library of Congress. Although I use the word secret sort of loosely. I mean, the mission of the library is that their collection is a available to everyone. But before I get to my next fact, I wanted to ask, so are you a fan of pasta? And I started out by asking whether they were a famed Spider Man. Now I need to know are you a fan of pasta?
Speaker 1: So I'm going to go back and say I actually really loved Spider Man comics as a kid. So I want to retrofit this episode to make sure no one is angry at me. I'm also, of course a huge fan of pasta. Are you Kiddingeah?
Speaker 2: I mean pasta is so good? And then you have something in common with Thomas Jefferson. Here another noted pasta fan. But back in the seventeen hundreds, pasta wasn't known that much in America. Jefferson discovered it while he was serving as the US Minister to France. This was from seventeen eighty four to seventeen eighty nine, and to be honest, that time in France made him a little bit fancy. He developed a taste for French cooking, and also at the time, pasta was all the rage in France. So while he was in Europe, Jefferson either saw or read about quote a mold for making macaroni, and being a fan of macaroni, which was the catch all term for pasta pretty much of any kind, he wanted a machine of his own, so he sent one from Naples to his home at Monticello, and unfortunately it didn't work for very long, and nobody knows what happened to it.
Speaker 1: So I am very into all of this, but I am curious, like, what does this stuff to do with the Library of Congress.
Speaker 2: So Jefferson had pasta on the mind, and so he drew up his own design for a pasta machine, complete with instructions for making different shapes. And he noted that the best pasta is made in Naples from a special kind of flower called somola, but that any good, finely ground flower would also do. And the Library of Congress had these plans. I think you'd probably doubted I was ever going to ride around to it, But there it is. The Library of Congress has these plants.
Speaker 1: I love that you said. Jefferson and I are both noted pasta lovers, so you too. That's the two most well known things about what the.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm pretty sure I saw a Wikipedia entry about pasta lovers and you and Jefferson when we're sort of.
Speaker 1: Back to back. Yeah, just the two of us. But I am amazed by this. Did he ever build his machine?
Speaker 2: He did not, unfortunately, so those plans in the library are the only record of Thomas Jefferson's career as a pasta machine designer. But he did serve fresh pasta at dinners at Monticello, courtesy of course, of his kitchen staff, rolling out dough and cutting it into different shapes. But pasta was too adventurous for some of his guests. One visitor actually complained that his pasta meal quote tasted very strong and not agreeable.
Speaker 1: It feels like if your macaroni is strong and not agreeable, you're not doing it right. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think that's probably true.
Speaker 1: So, speaking of food, did you know that the Library of Congress has a piece of wedding cake that's over one hundred and sixty years old inside of it? I did not know this, and to be clear, and nobody has tried to eat it. And the only reason it survived this long is that it's likely a fruitcake soaked in brandy. But this old cake has a pretty great story. It's from the wedding of Charles Stratton aka General Tom Thumb and Lavinia Warren. Both of them worked for Pt. Barnum at a circus. Lavinia was thirty inches tall, Charles was around thirty five inches, and in eighteen sixty three when they got married, Tom Thumb was one of the most popular stars in the country. So this wedding was a huge, huge deal and also kind of a welcome distraction from the Civil War which was going on at that time. Now, the event took place in New York City, and even the Astors and the Vanderbilts were jonesing for an invite, and The New York Times wrote that there were crowds for miles trying to get a glimpse of the couple. The reception was at a downtown hotel and five thousand guests paid seventy five dollars each. That's almost two thousand dollars today to attend these festivities.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was going to say, seventy five bucks was a lot of money at that point. And let me guess there was cake at the reception.
Speaker 1: Definitely, so. According to the Barnum Museum, which also has a piece of this cake, it was tradition at the time to give a slice to female guests as they left the reception. I had never heard of that. Apparently that's true. Now. The Library of Congress got its piece of cake from Harrison Fisk, a manager and editor of at Theater magazine. In nineteen oh five, Lavinia, who had remarried after Tom Thumb died, sent him a slice of her wedding cake, which at that point was actually more than forty years old. The library suspects she was trying to publicize her autobiography or get cast in a role, and so she was trying to carry some favor there.
Speaker 2: Wow. Well, Mengo, I don't know if I can top old cake, but I do have old flutes and a lot of them. So we talked about all the stuff that the library has, and it's an amazing collection. Do you remember in twenty twenty two when Lizzo played James Madison's crystal flute at her concert in DC.
Speaker 1: Yeah, of course, it was such a big deal.
Speaker 2: Well, it actually came from the Library's flute collection, which is the largest in the world, and I'd had no idea that this was the case. They're around seventeen hundred flutes and wind instruments there. Most donated by a physicist and amateur floutist named Dayton C. Miller. Now he came by this honestly. His father played the fife and the Union Army during the Civil War. Besides the crystal flute, which Miller bought for two hundred dollars in nineteen twenty three, the library has John Phillips SUS's piccolo, which Lizzo tried out too, And there's also a flute that belonged to Frederick the Great, a collection of Native American courting flutes, and an instrument shaped like quote a horns toad climbing a tree. You know, it's the whole range here.
Speaker 1: But going back to that crystal flute, did Madison actually play it?
Speaker 2: He did not so, but it was it was somehow important to his family. It was a gift from a French flute maker named Charles Laurent, and the library has seventeen crystal flutes from Lorent's workshop. Now, interestingly, the workshop didn't use glass because it sounded better. It was because glass handled heat and humidity better than wood or ivory.
Speaker 1: So another person who didn't play the flute, as far as we know it was Amelia Earhart However, she was the first woman and the second person ever to fly solo across the Atlantic Ocean. Now, as you might remember, she disappeared when her plane crashed in nineteen thirty seven as she was attempting to fly around the world. The Library of Congress has an amazing collection of Earhart Efemera, including photos and even audio of a speech she gave. But my favorite item is an autograph slide of her palm print. So back in the nineteen thirties, palmistry was really popular. It's this wu wu thing that claims that your personality and interest can be seen in your hand. And one of the world's foremost practitioners at the time was a woman named Nellie Simmons Meyer, and in June nineteen thirty three she analyzed Erhart's hence.
Speaker 2: And what did she find?
Speaker 1: Accord to Meyer, apparently, the aviator had a particularly large palm, showing a love of physical activity and a strong will. Her long finger showed her attention to detail and her rational personality. Meyer also wrote, quote the diplomacy indicated by the little finger enables her to conform to such restrictions for a certain period, and then the urge for physical and mental activity becomes so strong that she seeks escape by a flight in her plane.
Speaker 2: I want somebody to compliment my little finger like that one day, Mango.
Speaker 1: I'm pretty sure your little finger indicates that you're from Alabama and that you have our final factor of the day.
Speaker 2: Nail it. That's exactly what it said. So I'm going to end and done. Another person who has quite a bit in the library archives in that is Abraham Lincoln. So, as you'll recall, he went to Ford's Theater on April fourteenth, eighteen sixty five, where he was shot by John Wilkes Booth. Now. He died the following morning, and the contents of his pockets were given to his son Robert. Now, these were kept in the Lincoln family for more than seventy years until Lincoln's granddaughter gave them to the library in nineteen seventy six. Then Librarian of Congress Daniel Borston decided he wanted to display them because he wanted to give back a bit of humanity to a man he said, became quote mythically engulfed.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I imagine his like, so legend is looming very large. But what did he have in his pockets? Was there anything super secret.
Speaker 2: Well, actually, I mean it's all pretty commonplace stuff, which which weirdly I think makes it that much more meaningful. So he had a linen handkerchief with a Lincoln embroidered on it. There was a pyramid shaped watch fob, a kind of pocket watch counterbalance. There was also two pairs of glasses. Lincoln had a lot of vision problems, so he often switched between pairs, and that evening he had a small metal folding pair and a larger gold rim pair that had been mended by Abe himself with a string. There was also a lens polisher, a button, and a pocket knife. And this got a bunch of stuff in his pockets, and that pocket knife he probably had in case, you know, he needed to repair his glasses. So back to that idea as well. But he was also carrying a brown leather wallet, and what's inside is also interesting. So there was a pencil in eight newspaper clippings, including an article about his recent successful re election campaign, and strangest of all, he had a confederate five dollars bill.
Speaker 1: I mean, first of all, it's insane that he had a wallet with like eight clippings of his recent election victories. Crazy and in additioned like all these glasses. But why Confederate money?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's weird, right, Well, we can only speculate why he had it, but historians note that Lincoln had traveled to Richmond, Virginia, about a week before his death, and this was right after the city had been taken by the Union army, so it may have been given to him as kind of a souvenir. But on that Notemega, We've made it. We reached nine facts, and I'm going to give you this episode's trophy because you had secret tunnels, you had old cake, which is just the shoe. And when you get old cake, so what else did you do? You do compliments to the pinky fingers, so you really you've hit the full spectrum. I had a loss for words, Mango, it's so amazing.
Speaker 1: Well, I'm very honored, and I'll be sure to donate this to the Livery of Congress when i'm done admiring it.
Speaker 2: That is perfect. Well, that's it for today's episode. If you enjoyed it, make sure to subscribe to the show on your favorite podcast app and leave us a nice rating and review. Also, you can say hi to us on Instagram at part Time Genius. This episode was written by Marisa Brown. Thank you so much, Marissa, this was a fun one, but from Dylan Gabe, Mary Mango and me, thank you so much for listening.
Speaker 1: Part Time Genius is a production of Kaleidoscope and iHeartRadio. This show is hosted by Will Pearson and Me Mongish Heatikler and research by our good pal Mary Philip Sandy. Today's episode was engineered and produced by the wonderful Dylan Fagan with support from Tyler Klang. The show is executive produced for iHeart by Katrina Norvell and Ali Perry, with social media support from Sasha Gay, trustee Dara Potts and Viney Shorey. For more podcasts from Kaleidoscope and iHeartRadio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.