Speaker 1: You're listening to Comedy Central.
Speaker 2: Hey there, this is Daisy Leideck. While the Daily Show is off this week, we put together some special highlights just for you. We'll be back next week, but in the meantime, enjoy this episode.
Speaker 3: Welcome to Das Show. My guest tonight as an award winning actor who is starting in the horror film Maxine and Beverly Hills cop axel F Please welcome Kevin Bacon.
Speaker 1: Nice, nice, nice, nice, Well, all right, lady.
Speaker 3: Dare I say okay, okay, okay, that that dare I say? Beloved? That's what that sounded like. Oh, thank you.
Speaker 1: It's nice. It's nice to be loved. You know.
Speaker 4: It's funny people talk about what a pain in the ass. They ask about what a pain in the ass it is to be famous? Yeah, and I'm like, you know what, it's the greatest thing. People will stop you on the street and say I love you, and you go, who gets.
Speaker 1: That in life? Yeah? You know what I mean. It's like, yeah, I never take that for granted. So thank you, you're very.
Speaker 3: My first question, is it a pain in the ass to be famous? Did go? Oh, yes, yes, it's funny watching that clip, right, there you get to be a bad guy in the new Beverly Hills copy, and then also in Maxine you get to be a bit of a scumbag in that as well.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, yeah, Erry, real scumbag.
Speaker 3: What demons are you exercising?
Speaker 4: You know what, It's funny you say that, because I mean, I'm not afraid of being a bad guy in the movie. You know, there's a lot of people that go, that's like a gross thing. I don't want to do that because they think it's going to somehow reflect on them personally. And I've always thought they're just going to, like the work speak for itself, you know. I mean, I'm an actor. It's not about me being me up there. It's always about me trying to walk in somebody else's shoes. So when I look at these two guys, they're completely different men, the character of Maxine and the character in Beverly Hills Cops. So to me, it's just great parts and I just want to I just want to be them, and I'm exercising some demons.
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay, Yeah, that's where you were.
Speaker 1: Going from a darkness there, right? Yes?
Speaker 3: Is that something you had to grow into, like when you start out acting. Were you comfortable taking those roles or were you in your head about how you.
Speaker 1: Would be perceived. I was never in my head about that.
Speaker 4: I was always about like I just I just was always about doing something that.
Speaker 1: Was edgier and darker and more of a stretch.
Speaker 4: And listen, it's it's like the greatest thing because you live your life and then you get to pretend to you know, hate somebody without hating them, or kill somebody without killing them, or you know, do like questionable things and then just go back and live a you know, hopefully, you know, a decent life.
Speaker 3: We should get more people sitty things to do on the camera.
Speaker 1: Maybe, yeah, you might be on this upthing there.
Speaker 3: You get to work with Eddie Murphy on this You never worked with that, never work with Eddie Murphy.
Speaker 4: And it's really cool because you know, he's just I mean, he's just Eddie Murphy.
Speaker 1: He's just that guy.
Speaker 4: You know, he's so he's so great, he's so cool the way he comes on the set. And you know, the other day, I was on the flight flying back. I can't remember where I was coming from, but I was watching YouTube and a clip from one of his comedy Specials popped up, and I don't know if you ever had this experience on a plane where you're laughing so hard at something you feel bad for the people around you.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: And I was literally trying to tamp it down and tears were rolling down my face. I mean, he's just he's great, and so to be on camera with him and to be in a scene like that was just so much fun.
Speaker 3: Usually for me on the plane, I'm weeping.
Speaker 5: Is that?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 3: Okay, it could be a comedy or a tragedy. I'm weeping, and I'm not trying to hide it from other people. I'm looking for any kind of comfort I can get.
Speaker 1: Fear of flying, fear of just fear of.
Speaker 3: Facing my own in personal demons and emotions.
Speaker 4: Yeah, maybe you should take on some bad guy parts.
Speaker 3: You know what, if they would offer me any single role, I would say, yes, they're afraid to let me even walk on to most rolls. They're just like, you know what, stick behind that desk and talk about politics, shall you. It's different because Beverly Hills Cop came out. The last Beverly Hills Cop movie was thirty years ago. How do you think, I mean, how do you think gen Z is going to relate to a movie like this. A lot of these folks didn't come up with the Beverly Hills cop franchise.
Speaker 4: Okay, this is going to tell you how old I am. Remind me thirty four thirty four, No, remind me what gen Z is. What gen Z is post millennials.
Speaker 1: So I don't know what a millennial. Oh, by jeez, I'm not.
Speaker 3: I'm seriously, I don't. It's the phone generation, a generation that came up always knowing the Internet.
Speaker 4: What are they going to think of the movie? I think I think the movie is is really fun and really cool, and I would think that, you know, it's there is a certain amount of nostalgia in it, for sure, but probably with a with a franchise that's that well known, you've probably heard your parents or maybe your grandparents talk.
Speaker 1: About it and and and.
Speaker 4: You know, maybe you go back and watch watch the originals.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I love it. Now you're also Maxine a great horror franchise. It's the third Yeah, it's compelling to go back. You Friday the thirteenth, it was one of your first roles. It was second role. I believe you have a great death where I think you get knifed while having sex and the knife goes through your neck.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, awesome, man, Yeah yeah, it was great.
Speaker 4: It was great because you know, horror movies, especially back then, were often kind of thinly veiled morality tales. They it was a way to pick whoever were the type of people that somebody decided should not should die, and those people were usually people that did drugs and had.
Speaker 1: Sex, right, and so I did, but that's why I wanted to die. I was like, how dare you exactly?
Speaker 4: And you know, the funny thing is is that in those days, like those were those are the cool people, you know what I mean, But those are the ones that always had to die in the in the in the horror movies. And so I had, you know, the one to the one two punch had Yeah, I mean I had sex. I got sad sex first and then and then smoked the joint and then the arrow went through the throat.
Speaker 3: If you gotta go pick it that way, can I tell you something word?
Speaker 1: You know?
Speaker 4: Every sometimes you know, there's people that have photographs that they want you to sign, you know, right, and the number one photograph that I'm asked to sign is me dead with an arrow sticking out of my throat. Really yeah, And I'm always like, don't you have anything of me?
Speaker 1: A lot?
Speaker 3: That's the image? Is that your fear that at the Oscars in memoriam, that's the image that they show.
Speaker 1: My fear is that I don't make the end memorial.
Speaker 3: Oh, Kevin Bacon, judging by the reception that you had, you are going to be there, you think so. And they're not going to show you dead. They're going to show a picture of you having sex at the end of You deserve it.
Speaker 1: You deserve it.
Speaker 4: I listen hopefully that's how I die.
Speaker 3: Hopefully you go out.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I was going to segue into your marriage. But it feels weird.
Speaker 1: Now, does it. Yeah?
Speaker 4: You know why it feels weird because married people don't have sex. That's why it feels weird because that's the overall perception.
Speaker 3: It is the overall perception. Yes, I will say why, Like, you're you're all over TikTok Instagram. You look like you're living the best life. I will say, you and your wife kiers Edgwick. Yeah, you're singing, you're dancing, you're playing with alpacas and goats. Yes, it feels like you hacked it. I'm curious, what advice do you have for somebody who wants to be successful on TikTok and also save their marriage.
Speaker 1: Wow, that's a heavy lift. I don't know.
Speaker 4: Listen, I never give marriage advice because it's just we don't know, man, We're just marriage doesn't work. Let's face it, how many people stay married? It makes no sense. Nobody's the never one gets to You should think of it as something that you're just doing for a while, and then if you turn around and you know, thirty six later, thirty six years later, you're still doing it for a while or whatever, you know.
Speaker 1: Then we'll you keep doing it for a little while longer.
Speaker 3: So switch the vow. So not till that there was part, but till till maybe September.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly right.
Speaker 4: Don't put too much pressure on the whole idea of like that. That's why when people ask ask both of us about it, we're like no, no, no, no, we're not we're not going there.
Speaker 3: Do you get that?
Speaker 1: Like did you get instantly?
Speaker 3: Is that right?
Speaker 1: Yes? How do you do it? How do you do it? How do you do it?
Speaker 4: And not just in the in the public situation or in a press situation from like, you know, genuinely young people, especially young actors in relationships, who are looking at the idea of two actors being in a relationship, and and and you know, is that is that going to be hard?
Speaker 1: And I really I just don't have any advice.
Speaker 4: My one piece of advice that's silly is my one piece of advice that we usually give is just don't take advice from celebrities on how to stay married.
Speaker 3: All back to the Daily Show. My guest tonight is an actor and physician whose new album is called Chaos Angel and she stars as Anxiety in Inside Out to Please Welcome Maya Hawk. She is, okay, so an inside Out too? You play anxiety? Am I pronouncing that right? I've I've never heard of anxiety before.
Speaker 6: It's a very sophisticated name. Not a lot of people know about it. But yeah, that you're pronouncing it just right? Yes, yes, anxiety? Anxiety?
Speaker 3: Is that right? Yes, that's exactly on anxiety. How do you go about playing anxiety? You're channeling essentially an idea and a general emotion.
Speaker 6: Yes, well, it's interesting because they're both ideas and general emotions. But also they're really well rounded characters. For example, within the movie, Joy, played by the fabulous Amy Poehler, cries.
Speaker 5: You know, Joy cries. So Joy is a full character, and so are all the other characters.
Speaker 6: So it is kind of a single emotion, but it's also a whole person, which is a very weird thing to play. But basically, what I did is that in my own personal life, I have a voice in my head going at all times telling me all the things that I'm doing wrong always one hundred percent, and all the things I'm worried about in all the ways that maybe I could improve the things that I'm worried about and kind of correct the trajectory of my crashing plane. And I just kind of tapped into that voice and put it into the character.
Speaker 5: So I didn't do any research.
Speaker 6: It's no homework, no scientific follow ups, no consultations with specialists, specialists, just listening.
Speaker 5: To the guy in my head was like, Oh no, it's not gonna be okay. You're gonna be bad. You're gonna do a bad job at the show.
Speaker 6: And I, Oh, yeah, your coult's weird.
Speaker 5: You're weird. It's going to go.
Speaker 3: Really, you're doing great, But you. You really brought that character out.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 3: Wow, some of us.
Speaker 5: Have to do homework. Some of us are naturals. I don't know.
Speaker 3: You just find the voice within and you let it out there exactly. You're playing anxiety and inside out too. And your new album is called Chaos Angels.
Speaker 5: That's true?
Speaker 3: Is everything okay?
Speaker 5: Yes?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I'm a sleepy, you're a sleepy.
Speaker 3: You're dealing with a lot of open emotions. I feel like, does the idea of your album is very personal? Yes, and releasing it that sounds it gives me nothing but nightmares. The idea of releasing something so personal like that, does that give youth out.
Speaker 5: Your edited journals?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Exactly?
Speaker 3: Is only is that how you view it?
Speaker 5: I mean kind of, I mean edited and obscured.
Speaker 6: But yeah, but no, it doesn't really give me anxiety because I am not like you know, I'm not like making the There's no like public scandal that's being revealed by my record, and it's not like.
Speaker 3: It's like about a flaw. Do you wish you hadn't you wish?
Speaker 6: I'm actually if anyone's interested or open to offering me a public scandal to incorporate into the lyrics, of my next song, I'd be very open. But no, so it doesn't make me that nervous. I have always been pretty open with my emotions as a person. That's a that's kind of a mainstay characteristic of my crazy inside out house that's going on up here, my headquarters, so to speak. But yeah, I'm just I'm open with my emotions. I'm very happy to talk about things, and so I really I'm just feeling very proud and grateful to have gotten to make a record that is coming out and to get to be in a movie this cool and like this kind of double rainbow of both popular, good and smart.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, well said, I mean it is. It is a remarkable thing to be able to both to act and also to do music at the same time. You you grew up in a an artistic household.
Speaker 5: I agreed, it is remarkable.
Speaker 3: It's remarkable, Maya, how do you do it?
Speaker 6: I mean, it's just I don't know, an extra lobe in my brain, it's extra lobes.
Speaker 3: I know, did you ever growing up in a household that has so much art? An artist? I follow your dad on Instagram when I feel like he's constantly telling me how to be a better artist.
Speaker 6: I love the vibe of his Instagram. He has transitioned from actor to guru.
Speaker 3: Yes, what is he going to tell me to do today? I know, did you ever growing up in that household feel the rebellious spirit to go against the grain and become like an actuarial scientist?
Speaker 6: No, no, no, I mean I think the weird thing that people misunderstand about rebellion, And there are a few counter examples to this, but like people don't normally rebel against fun stuff, like like it does happen, okay, but rarely, Like it's only the really weird brother who's ever.
Speaker 5: Like, yeah, my dad was so fun.
Speaker 6: He took us the trampoline park all the time, and all he wanted to do was talk about rock.
Speaker 5: Music and trampolines. And so I became an accountant, Like that's an unusual thing. It's usually like the accountant's kid who's like, I'm the trampoline guy.
Speaker 3: Like, I don't know, Like.
Speaker 6: It's mostly rarely does one rebel against fun stuff.
Speaker 3: That's true, That's true. I usually shied away from it in high school, but that was mostly because that was fun stuff, risky stuff. I was a nerd in high school. So the idea of drinking or doing drugs or actually having a sustained relationship with somebody was very scary.
Speaker 5: Too, very What about a brief relationship.
Speaker 3: I had a brief relationship and then I had a very long relationship, Okay, which I think is what happened. This is too much about me, Jesus, I'm hearing that anxiety in my voice. Now you're like, you're bringing it up. You're bringing it up. You're bringing it up, Jordan.
Speaker 1: Huh.
Speaker 3: The first song on your album, Yeah, Black Ice has a very interesting moody beginning.
Speaker 5: It does.
Speaker 3: Yes, can you tell us a little.
Speaker 5: Bit about Oh my god, Yeah, it's so weird.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's weird.
Speaker 5: I'm worried for some reason.
Speaker 6: I've now like, like the first one was like no really, but now I'm talking about a lot, and I'm worried it's going to come back to bite.
Speaker 5: Me in the butt somehow.
Speaker 6: But I was taken to see a psychic because I had depression as a child, and the psychic was like a magical psychic who like laid crystals around you and helped you talk to your spirit guides.
Speaker 5: Yes, it was a very normal childhood.
Speaker 6: In case anyone got the wrong impression from everything else about me. I had a really conventional childhood. And so anyway, this psychic did this kind of long session with me at the end, and there were like two dogs there and like three women, and they helped me I talk to my inner spirit guides and remove my shield that was over my heart and do all this kind of stuff. And I have a recording of it, and the recording I only heard like fifteen years later and was really taken aback by it because it was both extremely positive and I was like, Wow, I'm so lucky that I got to like have this kind of help as a kid and help through my anxious teen years, you know, kind of like the way that did Inside Out is focused on. But I was also like, you freaking weird, Like why are you telling me that I am an angel?
Speaker 5: I am not and will never be. I am a.
Speaker 6: Disgusting little gremlin and have been an always movie.
Speaker 5: And so it was like, because these these.
Speaker 6: Women were really being like, you are an angel and human form, You are perfect.
Speaker 5: Your job in the universe is to make.
Speaker 6: Other people around you feel happy and good. And I listened as an adult and I was like, I don't want.
Speaker 3: Them to be my job, which is go away this time.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Wow, I guess you have an experience like that. You're like, I need to become an artist and put this into words. Suppose, So yes, I hang in there. It feels like it feels like a gift to a friend.
Speaker 5: That is basically the idea I like. I've heard two different takes on the song.
Speaker 6: I like the idea that it's either a present to me singing to a past me comforting the past. So it's like you're comforting yourself or me singing to a friend of mine.
Speaker 3: The first one sounds cooler.
Speaker 1: I should have said the first one.
Speaker 5: No, no, no, I like both.
Speaker 6: I like both, and I will not reveal which one it is or else I offer up the opportunity to accidentally reveal who the bad guy in the story is.
Speaker 3: Well, I want to know.
Speaker 5: No, I can't tell you this is the scandal you are looking for. I know, I know, but it's not the scandal that the people want.
Speaker 3: Fair enough smart Explore more shows from the Daily Show podcast universe by searching The Daily Show wherever.
Speaker 1: You get your podcasts.
Speaker 3: Watch The Daily Show week nights at eleven ten Central on Comedy Central and stream full episodes anytime on Paramount plus Paramount Podcasts