Speaker 1: This is Bloomberg Law with June Brusso from Bloomberg Radio.
Speaker 2: I'm declaring a mistrial in this case.
Speaker 3: Judge Beverly Canon declared a mistrial last week after juror's deadlock in the polarizing, high profile case of Karen Reid, a woman accused of striking her Boston Police officer boyfriend with her SUV and leaving him to die in a snowstorm. The trial had lasted two months and featured more than six hundred pieces of evidence and more than seventy witnesses, but on the fifth day of deliberations, jurors sent the judge a note saying they remained at an impass.
Speaker 4: To continue to deliberate would be futile and only serve to force us to compromise these deeply held beliefs.
Speaker 2: I'm not going to do that to you, folks. Your service is complete, but.
Speaker 3: The case is far from over. Prosecutors say they intend to retry. Read defense attorney Out Jackson says the result will be the same.
Speaker 4: The Commonwealth did their worst. They brought the way to the state based on spurious charges, based on compromised investigation and investigators and compromised witnesses. This is what it looks like. And guess what they failed. They failed miserably and they'll continue to fail.
Speaker 3: Joining me is an expert in criminal law, Daniel Medwebb, a professor at Northeastern Law School. For those who have not been following this case closely, can you give us an overview of the facts.
Speaker 2: So a few years ago, a woman named Karen Reid, who's now in her mid forties, was driving her boyfriend to a party after a night of bar hopping in a town called Kenton, Massachusetts. But it's not really a suburb of Boston. It's a little further away than a suburb, And so she dropped him off. She'd had quite a bit to drink that night, and then essentially he was found dead by her and a couple of her friends the next morning. And so the initial theory was that maybe she dropped him off and while she was doing a three point turn to leave, she might have inadvertently clipped him or it wortinly, it's sort of a bit unclear at first with her car, and because he had also been drinking, he fell down. It was a night of a snowstorm, and ultimately he died of hypothermia. That was sort of the initial kind of impression of the case, And at first, I think a lot of people thought of this as, you know, potentially an accident, you know, a problem of drunk driving and a mistake. Over time, it evolved into a lot more. The government indicted Karen Reid for not just manslaughter, sort of recklessly causing the death of this man. His name is John o'keith. He was a Boston Police Department officer who also was taking care of his family member's children. So he had a lot of really wonderful attributes apparently, so she's charged with not just reckless mansdaughter, but also she's indicted on secondary murder, and the prosecution had a number of hostile voice messages that she had left to O'Keefe, indicating that it was a very volatile and strained relationship. Now, over time, the defense undercuts the theory a that Karen read had even hit John O'Keeffe sort of undercut that theory, and b began to develop evidence of an alternative theory that potentially John O'Keeffe had gone inside the house where the party was an incident had occurred, sort of unclear exactly what had transpired, and people at the party had left O'Keefe for did outside the house. So, on the one hand, you have prosecutors who believe that either again inadvertently or btinly, Karen Reid struck and killed her boyfriend while dropping him off after a night of drinking and a lot of confrontations and volatility in the relationship. The defense theory is that she may never at him at all, that the police essentially engaged in a sloppy investigation, and there are lots of evidence about haphazard techniques used in the investigation, and the defense that's made allegations that some evidence was planted suggesting that Karen reeve did it and the police never investigated this alternative theory, what would.
Speaker 3: Be the reason. So with the defense's alternative theory, what was the reason they gave for why O'Keefe's friends would have left him for dead outside the house in the snow well.
Speaker 2: The defense theory is that there was some bad blood between this man, John O'Keefe, the secedent, and some of the members at the house party, including the Albert family, a guy named Brian Albert who was a Boston Police Department detective that that Alberts had had I hate to use the term feud because it sort of conjures up these sort of small town chiefs, but there had been some animosity between the Alberts family and the O'Keefe family. In addition, another person at the party, a man named Brian Higgins, who was an ATF officer, had apparently exchanged some flirtatious text messages with Karen Reid beforehand, so the defense sort of alluded to the idea that he had a love interest in Karen Reid and maybe had a romantic reason to not like John O'Keefe. There are various theories that were floated, and the defense obviously struggled to substantiate them, in part because the police didn't secure the crime scene, they didn't thoroughly investigate the house or search the house. According to the defense, there were a lot of missteps in the investigation. So that's sort of part of it. And it's a situation where you look at this case and depending on your theory of the case, you can interpret a lot of the evidence in a way that supports your theory. For people who think that Karen Read did it, a key fact is that she allegedly said to some of the emergency responders and to her friends when she found John O'Keefe's body, and around that time, I hit him. I hit him. I hit him, sort of an allusion to the fact that she had hit him and there was evidence of a broken tail light. And some people will look at that and they say that's evidence of her culpability. Other people view it as more speculation on her part that she just can't remember what happened because she'd been drinking and she's just, you know, mentioning this possible horrible situation. Maybe I hit him, Maybe I hit him, And that's sort of the defense explanation for it. So there are lots of facts, lots of twists and turns, and I think it's one of the reasons why people have such strong opinions of the case.
Speaker 3: In order to believe the defense, would you have to believe that law enforcement planted evidence and engage in a cover up and a massive conspiracy.
Speaker 2: You know, I don't know about that. I mean, when I look at this case, and I should mention, you know, I have nothing to do with the case. I'm not part of the defense team, but I am a former defense lawyer, and as a former defense lawyer, I often think of the defense strategies at trial, and the major defense strategy in a lot of cases, of course, is reasonable doubt. In order to convict someone of a crime, the burden is on the prosecution to prove guilt beyond a reasonable doubt. So I don't think it's so much that the defense would have to show this massive cover up as much as the defense would have to show that there's reasonable doubt carrying Reads struck and killed John o'kee. Now, I think you're right. The way the case was tried and the way social media has sort of grabbed onto the case, there's a sense that for you to think that carring Mead is innocent, you have to believe in this massive cover up. But I'm not so sure. It could be that people have lingering doubts about her involvement because of a series of facts that just really don't add up. So I think it depends. I think it depends.
Speaker 3: The tail light of her SUV was broken and pieces of it were found in the snow. It seems indicative that something happened there was the defense asking the jury to believe that police planted that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, I think that is part of it, right. I think the defense theory certainly was that the police were involved in planting evidence, including apparently evidence of a hair of John O'Keefe that was damned on the core or on the taille or the fragments. I can't call exactly what, but there's all this other evidence that maybe the jury could believe that doesn't necessarily point to some framing or massive cover up, as much as it might point to the fact that the police didn't investigate the case as thoroughly as possible. So for instance there and again I'm not offering any view on this, it's just looking at the evidence and sort of speculating about whether there was reasonable doubt generated. You know, one issue that came up the trial related to John o'keef's injuries, and he was found with injuries that may have been inconsistent with being struck by a car. There were certain injuries to his arm and elsewhere. The defense argued that these were dog bites, and that the Albert had a dog, and there were all these other allegations. But according to the pathologist and some of the medical evidence, there was some debate about John o'keith's injuries and whether, in fact the car could have caused the injuries alone or whether there was something else. You know, I think it is interesting what the defense did here and an interesting aspect of this. Strategically, the defense could have just focused on reasonable death. Here are some of the hold look at the injuries. The injuries don't seem entirely consistent with just being struck by a car during a three point term. There were other pieces of evidence. There was a cloud driver who was there later in the night and didn't see a body on the lawn. There was evidence that maybe someone in the inside the house had conducted a Google search how long or how's long to die in the snow at about two twenty five, two thirty am, before Karen Reid had returned. So there are all these little kidbits of information that maybe don't go to police malfeasance, but maybe suggest something else happened and the police missed it. So, in other words, it's sort of a long way of saying, I mean, you can look at this case at the extremes, right one extreme the prosecution theory. You know, Karen Reid intended to kill John o'kee another extreme, extensive police cover up. But for people who aren't inclined to go to the extremes, there might be a feeling that it's somewhere in the middle, that maybe something bad happened inside the house, really bad, and the police didn't do the right investigation to ensure that all the suspects were interrogated properly. Or some people might think Karen Read mistakenly, recklessly did strike John o'ke, and it's more of a tragic accident than some type of intentional homicide. But I think the op shot is when you look at this evidence, at least from my perspective, I wasn't entirely surprised that it was a hung jury because of the complexity of the case, because of all its evidence cutting both sides. It sort of made sense to me that maybe twelve people would struggle to come up with unanimous decision.
Speaker 3: Stay with me, Daniel. Coming up next on the Bloomberg Lawn Show, I'll continue this conversation with Professor Daniel Medweb of Northeastern Law School. How might the prosecution change its strategy at a retrial, and later in the show, how the Supreme Court's decision reversing the forty year old Chevron doctrine is already wreaking havoc at federal agencies. I'm June Grosso and you're listening to Bloomberg. A mistrial was declared last week after jurors deadlocked in the case of Karen Reid, a woman accused of striking her Boston Police officer boyfriend with her SUV and leaving him to die in a snows Prosecutors say they intend to retry read and a hearing is scheduled in the case for July twenty second. I've been talking to Professor Daniel Medweb of Northeastern Law School. Michael Proctor, the lead investigator for the Commonwealth, has been relieved of duty because of serious misconduct that emerged in testimony at the trial. Tell me about his testimony.
Speaker 2: So, Michael Practor was the lead investigator, and he's a member of the State Police. And one huge benefit of getting the state police involved in homicide investigations, especially an investigation of the death of a Boston Police Department officer, is to sort of avoid conflicts of interest, right you have a different agency involved in the investigation. That's one of the theories behind it. There are several problems, but one was that Michael Procter had these personal relationships with some members of the Albert family, people who are at the party, that according to the defense, at least, he didn't adequately disclose. So they're this sense of potential conflicts of interest that sort of swirling around his involvement, and that I think has spanned the flames of some of the fears about a cover up. That it wasn't just an issue of floppy investigation. Some believers in Karen Reid's innocence would suggest it was more purposeful and sort of malevolence than that. So that's one problem with Michael Pactor, just that there was a relationship there that a tangled web that may not have been adequately disclosed on the front end. A second problem, and the one that really made a lot of headlines, is that apparently over the course of the investigation, he was exchanging a variety of inappropriate text messages with people about the Karen Reid case, and he referred to Karen Reid in sort of very vulgar and inappropriate terms. He called her a whack job, He made fond of her medical condition, He indicated that he had been looking for nude photographs and was disappointed that he hadn't fanned any nude photographs. You know, for this to be revealed publicly in high profile case, you obviously really cast dispersions on him as an investigator, of his credibility, his professionalism. But it really sort of called into question, you know, police propriety in general. If this type of behavior occurs in a high profile investigation of the death of a Boston police officer, what happens in a more run of the milk, What happens behind the scenes with the investigation? You know, how are the defendants views, how are the victims characterized? Are the eyes dotted and the peace crossed? If they weren't all handled well here in a case that presumably the police would really have an interest in solving accurately, you know what happens in every other case. So in some respects, I think the Karen Read case is also a little bit of a forum on police investigation techniques.
Speaker 3: The jury foreman said the panel was starkly divided. Our perspectives on the evidence are starkly divided. The deep division is not due to a lack of effort or diligence, but rather a sincere adherence to our individual principles and moral convictions. So this wasn't a case of like one holdout juror Yes.
Speaker 2: So in Massachusetts, you can't necessarily figure out as a matter of law, you know what the breakdown was. Over time, I imagine we will get a sense of it, just because jurors will tell people about what the breakdown was. But the implication from the language, the use of plural and there is an implication it wasn't necessarily one hold out. We don't know how many. We don't know whether it was a total split. We don't know whether the jury was tilted on one side or the other. But there is a sense. I think you're right that there was a deep division, a deeply held division in the jury, which again is an entirely surprising given the deep division in the community in that particular county. When thinking about this case and thinking about the evidence, the.
Speaker 3: District attorney's office said it plans to retry the case. Do you see a way that it can avoid made any of the mistakes or defense arguments that happened in the first trial.
Speaker 2: I do. I think it's an interesting calculation. I think it's natural that the DA would announce that they plan to try the case I immediate aftermath. That's sort of a natural reaction. So I would be surprised if the prosecutor simply said justice would serve and we're moving on. They obviously are vested in the belief that Karen Read is guilty. They got these indictments, which means that at least the grand jury fan there was probable cause for these charges, and they believe, presumably that there is proof beyond reasonable doubt that the cheese fact guilty. So it's not surprising that they said that. As to whether at the end of the day they will actually proceed with the retrial is a more complicated and nuanced decision because you have to think about whether the result would be different. As you point out, are there ways for the prosecution to sort of mitigate some of the defense arguments or overcome some of the defense arguments, or are there some intrinsic obstacles here the likely result will be similar, So we can kind of think that through. I mean, now the prosecution has a sense of what the defense theory is, so it does allow them, and they have a year after the formal retrial is ordered, there's going to be a status confemplator this month. Let's say that prosecution reasserts that it plans to retry is Read, and then they would have one year for the trial to start from that date. Over the course of that time, they might investigate further. They might think through some of the defense arguments and come up with ways to counteract them. But there are some intrinsic kurdles here that may be difficult to overcome. One and we talked about this a moment ago, is Michael factor. He was the lead investigator, and I don't know how he is kept out of this case, how those text messages are kept out, even if the defense sort of brings it in. Other intrinsic problems the injuries on John O'Keefe and some of the evidence that suggests that maybe it wasn't consistent with just being struck by the core evidence about that Google search and the timing of that Google search, and there's all sorts of other evidence that sort of complicates the case for the prosecution. Some of it maybe can be overcome with better forensic experts than they had before or other strategies, but a really important question that I imagine the das are asking themselves right now, is can we prove this case beyond a reasonable doubt given some of these inherent obstacles, some of which are related to how the investigation preceded, sort of some of these sloppy steps taken in the investigation.
Speaker 3: Do you think this is a case of a very good defense lawyer? Was it more the strategy in other words, and the way the defense lawyer approached it, maybe another lawyer wouldn't have been able to do as well.
Speaker 2: That's possible. That's possible. I think she had a good defense team that did a very good job of investigating the case and cross examining the witness. I think that's, I mean, major part of this. Undoubtedly it also is and I often say this to my students. What's amazing about trials is we often think about them as sorting mechanisms between guilt and innocence, but really it's a sorting mechanism between guilt and not guilty. And the idea is, if there is reasonable doubt about somebody's culpability, the jury must acquit. And here the jury was conflicted about that. Some jurors believe she was guilty beyond reasonable doubt. Others didn't. So I think the defense did a very good job of raising reasonable doubt, in part by alluding to innocence by suggesting that it was a framing. But other lawyers might have taken a strategy of just showing reasonable doubt, just poking holes in the investigation, just poking holes in the prosecution theory, without necessarily casting dispersions on the government, so to speak. So I'm not so sure whether it was an issue of very effective defense advocacy or also an issue of the truth is often gray. It's not always black and white. We can't always see it with perfect clarity, and sometimes that grayness reflects the ambiguities of the facts, and those ambiguities are sometimes enhanced by what the police did or did not do. So I think what's very interesting for the prosecution right now is, even if they can course correct, is this going to be a wise use of government resources to retry her? And if they retry her, does it make sense to focus on that second degree murder charge, the intentional murder charge, which felt like a stretch, even though there was some evidence suggesting there was a lot of hostility in the relationship, and some very nasty voicemail messages that Karen Reid had left for John O'Keefe. You might prosecutors choose to just focus on the drunk driving homicide charge, the manslaughter charge, and make it more about an abhorrent accident. I don't know. These are all things that they're going to think about the month.
Speaker 3: Do you think that a plea deal is possible?
Speaker 2: So let's just sort of reverse engineers. Assuming the prosecution continues to believe in the merits of this prosecution, They believe Karen Reid is guilty, they believe justice would be served by pursuing it. Let's just assume that her purposes of argument, then they're thinking, well, perhaps given some of the obstacles in the case, it would make sense to offer a plea. If so, the question becomes, you know, what type of plea deal do they offer? Do they offer manslaughter, do they just offer leaving the scene of the crime, do they just offer driving under the influence? I mean, what do they offer? It appears as though everything that the defense has said about the case publicly, I very much doubt that Karen Reid would be interested in a plea deal that accepts responsibility for the death right. I mean, she might agree that she drove while drinking that night, and she might accept a deal to that think that acknowledges their culpability for the death Unless the defense really changes its tune, I don't think they would accept it. So the viability of the plea offer is contingtion not just on whether the prosecution would offer it, but what the defense would accept it. So I imagine the prosecution of courses thinking about a plea deal as a way to, in their view, achieve justice their vision of justice. But I bet from the defense perspective they would hold out. And the mistrial is pretty good evidence that what they did the first time around you may have legs and work again.
Speaker 3: I assume we're going to find out a lot more at the next court session, which is scheduled for July twenty second. Thanks so much, Daniel. That's Daniel Medweb, a professor at Northeastern Law School. Coming up next on the Bloomberg Wall Show. The Supreme Court throwing out the forty year old Chevron doctrine is already wreaking havoc on federal agency rules in areas like education, healthcare, and employment. I'm June Grosso, and you're listening to Bloomberg. In one of the most watched decisions this term, the Supreme Court eliminated a forty year old precedent known as Chevron deference, a doctrine that empowered federal regulators to interpret unclear laws. The six to three decision down ideological lines takes power away from executive branch agencies that enforce all kinds of rules in areas from the environment and finance to education and healthcare. The Chevron doctrine was a long time target of conservatives unhappy with the rule making power of executive branch agencies, and it took less than a week for lower federal courts to start barring agencies from enforcing Biden administration rules. The rules prohibiting transgender discrimination in healthcare and public schools were among the first to be targeted. Joining me is an expert in administrative law. Carrie Cooliniesie, a professor at the University of Pennsylvania Law School. I want to start with the odd question your reaction to the Supreme Court's decision eliminating the Chevron doctrine.
Speaker 1: Well, we knew that the Court or at least a good number of justices on the Court were critical of the Chevron decisions, So in some sense it's not terribly surprising, But in another sense it is quite dramatic, because, first of all, the Supreme Court seldom overturns any of its decisions. That's a rare event. But also in this case, this had been a decision that was one of the most widely cited of all Supreme Court decisions, and certainly one of the most widely cited in the administrative law world, that area of law that governs the operation of government agencies. So there's a real potential for a lot of mischief and confusion and further contestation when the Court overturns the decision that's been so widely cited like this one.
Speaker 3: Federal district courts already are making moves on this, so district courts in Mississippi, Florida, and Texas all barred the Department of Health and Human Services from enforcing a rule that prohibits healthcare discrimination against people based on their sexual orientation or gender identity under the Affordable Care Act. Are you surprised that this is happening so quickly?
Speaker 1: Not really. First of all, you know, there are many district court judges that have I think an affinity with the majority on the Supreme Court in their skepticism toward administrative agencies and the exercise of authority by administrative agencies, and certainly on some of these hot button kinds of issues today in American culture wars. The lower courts have been caught up in these kinds of matters even before the Supreme Court overturned Chevron, So that's not terribly surprising. On the other hand, it is also the case that the Supreme Court has sent a very strong signal to lower court judges to take on administrative agencies, to embrace your skepticism and assert your power over these agencies. That is I think the dramatic symbolic import of the Court's decision in the lower Bright Enterprises case that overturned Chevron.
Speaker 3: So, in those three cases, it turned on the agency's interpretation of the word sex under the Affordable Care Act in Title nine. So are these judges then substituting their own interpretation of what the word means for the agency? And I mean, how are they coming up with this?
Speaker 1: Well, that's what the Supreme Court has told lower court judges. Their responsibility is to find the one and only one best meaning of a statute based upon the judge's own sense of what the statute should mean, not giving the kind of deference that the agency would have been afforded in the past under the Chevron doctrine.
Speaker 3: Is it only when statutes are ambiguous that this is supposed to be the interpretation?
Speaker 1: Well, that was the framework under Chevron, was to first ask whether the statute was ambiguous. Because let's be clear about clarity. When statutes are not ambiguous, courts need to follow them, agencies need to follow them, and courts need to make sure agencies are following them. That was always true under the Chevron doctrine. The Chevron doctrine came into play when statutes were ambiguous. What does sex mean? A statute could mean gender, It could mean anything related to gender, you know. It could be narrow, it could be broad, And that ambiguity under Chevron would have often been seen as justifying an inquiry into whether the agency had been delegated the authority to make the call about what that ambiguous form or term meant, and as long as the agency was reasonable, courts were obligated to go with what the agency held. That's now changed, and in the face of ambiguity, the obligation of the lower court is to substitute its own decision, and maybe it will agree with the agency, maybe it won't. It certainly should listen to and gear the argument from the agency, but it doesn't have to follow it in the same way that it was supposed to under the Chevron doctrine.
Speaker 3: Does the agency argument get any kind of weight outside of you know, any litigant coming up and arguing a case. Is there any more weight at all to an agency's interpretation?
Speaker 1: Well, not really, although it's also not entirely clear what the Supreme Court majority thinks should be given. You know, there are passages in the lower Bright decision that say, first of all, the agency should have its interpretation be treated with respectful consideration. It may well have the power to persuade the court under an older decision called Skidmore. And it's also possible if you could read some passages in the Loco Bright decision where the Supreme Court majority has recognized that there may be evidence that Congress actually intended to delegate to the agency the decision about what the statute means. So in all of those situations, the agency's interpretation will have some weight, but it won't have the same kind of weight that it would have under the Chevron doctrine.
Speaker 3: The district courts that I mentioned were all conservative. So what happens if the same issue comes up in a different district court, let's say in New York or California, and the court has a different interpretation of what the word sex means. What happens? Then?
Speaker 1: Yeah, we're going to end up with a situation where we have competing judges, each giving their own best interpretation of the statute and within their districts or if it's at the Court of Appeals level, within their circuits, there will be competing definitions. Maybe the Supreme Court will step in and resolve some of these, but the Supreme Court only here's what sixty or seventy or so cases per year, So we're going to be living with I think a lot more flux and conflict, and maybe one might even say chaos in the law as these different judges reach potentially different interpretations on their own accord following the Lower Bright decision.
Speaker 3: So this reminds me of what happened after the Dobs case with abortion, where there's just chaos. I mean, didn't the Supreme Court look at this and say, Wow, if we do this, there's going to be chaos.
Speaker 1: One thing to be keep in mind in this case is that even under the Chevron there was the possibility that different judges would find statutes to be clear and other judges found them to be ambiguous. So statutory interpretation has always been messy, and some messiness was to always be expected. I think what's different now is that judges aren't even being told to make decisions that accord deference to agencies, and in situations of ambiguity, they're not even being told that there should be some effort to try to think about creating a uniformed decision across the country by going with the agency in cases of statutory ties. And the other thing to note is that these court decisions, because they'll be based upon now ostensibly the judge's own best interpretations of statutes, will get presidential effect in a way that agency decisions actually under the Chevron doctrine didn't have quite the same strong presidential effect. What I mean by that is that under the Chevron doctrine, if the court found that the statute was ambiguous, and then the tie went to the agency as long as the agency's interpretation was reasonable. Well, there was still room for the agency at some later time to adapt or change its understanding of the statute as long as that new meaning was reasonable as well. And that won't be the case with the new regime, because once the terms and meaning of the statute is fixed by a court, it takes on that strong presidential meaning and will have a much less adaptive and responsive laws. So in some sense we'll have more chaos and messiness I suspect, but also some more rigidity as well.
Speaker 3: In the Supreme Court decision, the opinion mentioned story decisives more than thirty five times or something. What role does story decisives play here?
Speaker 1: Well, that's also a point of potential okaots from this decision. Because Chevron had been so widely cited, new questions now are arising about what is the status of old agency interpretations that had been previously litigated and upheld under the Chevron doctrine. The Court did anticipate this issue to some degree, but it addressed it only in a very brief section of its opinion, and in a way that isn't quite crystal clear itself and will only I think, breed further confusion and lesser until the court steps in and tries to clarify things. But in brief, the court said that prior agency actions, actually specific agency actions that had been undertaken under a position or an interpretation approved under the Chevron doctrine, those specific agency actions could not be overtre earned just because the court was overturning Chevron. But there's a whole host of ambiguities and questions about what all that means. So it probably means that if somebody has a permit or a license, or been the beneficiary of some immigration decision in the past that was handed down under a policy approved by courts under the Chevron doctor, that those specific actions can't be overturned. But it doesn't mean necessarily that the prior statutory interpretations can't be challenged in new permit denials or licensed denials or adverse immigration decisions that might come up. So you're likely to see old interpretations now that had seemingly been settled law, sometimes perhaps for years or not decades, being reopened and revisited.
Speaker 3: I keep hearing about the terrible effects this decision is going to have on the EPA one agency more than another, or is it just across the board.
Speaker 1: This is a decision that affect the agencies across the entire federal government. All agencies are creatures of statutes. Congress creates them by statute, empowers them by statutes, and they have to operate within the confines of statutes. So all of these issues about statutory interpretation and who gets to decide questions of statutory interpretation, courts or agencies, those are really inherent throughout our modern form of government.
Speaker 3: So is this the Court taking more power for the courts?
Speaker 1: Yeah, this is of a piece with other decisions that are making the Court a more central player within modern government, probably more central than it's been for at least fifty years, if not more. The overturning of Chevron means that the Court must decide questions of dettutory interpretation and agencies don't merit anything more than perhaps respectful consideration. But it's also something to combine with another decision that the Court handed down at the end of the term that allows new businesses to form and to have the ability to essentially obliterate the statute of limitations that might otherwise apply because they weren't in existence at the time an agency undertook an action and reopened again settled rules. It's of a piece with another decision handed down this term that was decided on Seventh Amendment grounds that Jarchisi decision that holds that, at least in the Securities and Exchange Commission context, when dealing with civil penalties for fraud, the agencies tribunals cannot decide the matter. They have to go to juries in the Article three courts. That decision itself, I suspect will not be the last word, and we might see other agencies internal tribunals in future years needing to go to Article three courts. So we're going to have a lot more business for the judiciary, and that raises a host of institutional capacity questions about whether the courts are going to be capable of resolving these matters in a timely and informed manner.
Speaker 3: So they're not done dismantly the administrative state yet.
Speaker 1: I think the administrative state is certainly going to be around, but it's going to be a different one, and its relationship with the courts and the Court's relationship with it have definitely shifted, and the US Supreme Court majority here has signaled to the rest of government that the old ways are over and it wants everybody at the lower court level and throughout the agencies to take a more skeptical view of administer traitive authority being exercised by agencies that have been delegated that authority by Congress, but they now are going to be subjected to a much more muscular approach by the courts.
Speaker 3: Thanks so much for your insights. That's Professor Carricolinies of the University of Pennsylvania Law School, and that's it for this edition of the Bloomberg Law Show. Remember you can always get the latest legal news on our Bloomberg Law Podcast. You can find them on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, and at www dot Bloomberg dot com, slash podcast, slash Law, and remember to tune into The Bloomberg Law Show every weeknight at ten pm Wall Street Time. I'm Junie Grosso and you're listening to Bloomberg