Speaker 1: Hi, I'm Tifney Oshinsky, and this is serving pancakes. Nope, not a podcast about food. This is a podcast about volleyball and more to you. A pancake is a fluffy, syrup drenched breakfast food button volleyball. A pancake is a high effort move when a player flattens her hand against the ground to keep the ball in play. And that's us digging into high efforts that are moving sports forward. Listen in as I talk with the people making the biggest impacts on global volleyball and women's sports perspectives, insights, and behind the scenes stories, all with the side of pancakes. Today's episode features the best liberro in the world, an honor she earned after helping Team USA take home their first gold medal in Tokyo in the last Olympics, Justine Wong Orantis. Justine is a two time All American from the University of Nebraska, where she helped the corn Huskers win an NCAA national title in twenty fifteen, and as a liberro, she knows a lot about pancakes, the volleyball kind. This summer, she's part of the team defending the gold medal at the Paris Olympics, and then returning home to play professionally in the US for the first time in her career as part of love Omaha Volleyball.
Speaker 2: Dustine.
Speaker 1: Welcome to serving pancakes, have a seed, thank you.
Speaker 3: Welcome to breakfast at Tiffany's. And I'm just it's amazing. Well, welcome, joy some pancakes. How do you like your pancakes?
Speaker 4: Ooh, I'm a simple girl, a just like syrup and maybe a little bit of chocolate chips.
Speaker 3: Did you see pancakes growing up at all?
Speaker 4: I did.
Speaker 2: Actually, my mom always made chocolate chip pancakes, so that's like a childhood memory for sure.
Speaker 3: Oh, I love that. How many did she make?
Speaker 1: Because I have two kids and they get mad if I only give them like two, so I have to make a stack of them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she always made a stack, and then my brother and I would always just eat what was left. And yeah, she did a really good job of just making it in bulk and then we would just eat you as a family, a lot of pancakes.
Speaker 3: It's a good old family traditional breakfast.
Speaker 4: Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 1: So going back to growing up, I want to start at the very beginning, which is, what did you want to be when you grow up.
Speaker 4: So first I wanted to be a teacher.
Speaker 2: I think with my mom being in that education field, I always saw her as going to school, and I think for me, relating to kids was like always something that I was pretty natural at. Whether that was like you know, taking care of kids. All my mom's friends, they were all like I was the oldest, and so all the younger kids they were like can you baby say, and as I would love to, and so that always came pretty natural.
Speaker 4: And then I kind of tied that into sport.
Speaker 2: And so it was always like a camp or a clinic and helping with all the young ones. That was always super fun for me and really connecting so both like you know, with sport and then off the core love kids. And I think so growing up I was like being a teacher, that seems pretty natural to go into that direction.
Speaker 1: And what was your go to babysitting games, sport, the thing that made the kids want you as they're beating.
Speaker 2: Say, I think just being outside, Like I was always wanting to play tag with them, you know, if they wanted to play volleyball, I would love to show them playing you know, basketball, just being active and being outside I think that was what I was good as, just like you know, some people are like, Okay, they can just kind of chill watch TV, but like I love to be outside, and so it was fun because whenever my mom and like their parents were playing volleyball, whether it was outside or the other court, and we were always just playing with the with the ball or playing soccer or whatever it was the parents.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I just wanted to go to bed at the end of the day, exactly, all real quick.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so how did you get into volleyball?
Speaker 2: Both of my parents played, so they both played at the collegiate level in some capacity, and so for me to watch up and grow up with them, I feel like I was always.
Speaker 4: Surrounded by it, and they did a really nice job.
Speaker 2: Of kind of laying it out there for us to compete, both my brother and I.
Speaker 4: But it was never like, oh, you.
Speaker 2: Should play this, or it would be nice if you would play this. It just was very natural and I grew up around it, and so I grew to love at such a young age, and I think that's what was the most special, because I could have a connection to the sport but to my parents too because they were always supporting me at the tournament, at practices, and they knew the game really well, so I could always bounce ideas off of them and see where their head was at when I was growing up and playing, and it was just fun to.
Speaker 4: Have that support throughout my childhood up until now.
Speaker 1: So going back even farther, I want to see, if you know the true romance of your parents. They both played in college. So how did they meet? Did they meet in college playing each other?
Speaker 2: They played in a league California is like pretty notorious, where like all these like rec leagues happening, And it's really cool because they played a lot with their friends too, and so that goes back to like all of the babysitting duties.
Speaker 4: That I had.
Speaker 2: And so they met at a volleyball league in Tustin and so super local and yeah, and they met and then you know, the rest is history.
Speaker 4: Had me and my brother and it's just very fun.
Speaker 2: Because all of us have played volleyball at some point in our lives, and I think that's like really cool that we have that time to connect with each other and just be able to support and like show up for one another too.
Speaker 1: Did they know about the club scene and stuff when they were growing up.
Speaker 3: Did they were they aware of time.
Speaker 4: Commitment that, yeah, right, not right. Yeah.
Speaker 2: So my dad actually coached for Mazuna Long Beach Current Love Club, and so it was nice to have that kind of connection to the club because I really didn't know, like being in southern California, there's so many clubs that you can choose from, and so having that you know, connection right off the bat was very helpful. And so Joy and Matt Feerbringer, who were the directors of the club, still are and they were like, yeah, bring her on by. And so I started at a very young age. I started at eight years old and going into club and there was a twelve and under group and I actually played twelve and under for four years. I was so young, so I was just playing for you know, up until I turned twelve. And it was very fun because I think one year actually my dad got to coach me. And it was always you know, like that weird feeling of like not wanting to be favored, but also like having that you know, soft spot for your daughter. And it was really cool because you got to meet a lot of people and like just club is just such a unique kind of community because you're with each other for like eight months out of the year, and you're traveling to all these tournaments and practicing basically every other day, and so to have both my parents be there for a good chunk of it was really fun. And also to just know a lot of people from it and grow up with them, Like I think I had a few girls that we stayed from like basically twelve until eighteens, and that's pretty unique to have, and so it was very fun, and a lot of them I still keep in touch with, which is nice.
Speaker 3: You also play beach, though, I did. So did you start indoor? Did you start beach?
Speaker 2: I start indoor first, and then that following summer I started beach. It was kind of like one season, you know, indoor and then going into the summer was beach.
Speaker 4: So it was basically all year round volleyball, which I loved.
Speaker 2: I love being in the gym or being on the beach, and so I feel like it was also a great change up. You know, being indoor and then playing on the beach is such a different atmosphere and it's honestly such a different game, and so for me, it just taught me a lot of well roundedness, kind of seeing a lot of different parts of the game and kind of bettering each skill. So I really enjoyed my time and like doing both sports because I think it was super important for my overall ability to see the game and to read the game.
Speaker 1: Hey guys, time for your first fun fact of the episode. And it's not volleyball specific.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 1: Although beach and indoor volleyball are somewhat similar, as Justine said, there are different skills involved and it is a different sport. In fact, playing multiple sports as a kid is actually really important. It can prevent injuries due to overuse, less emotional burnout. Kids get exposed to different kids and roles, and it allows them to see what they like and don't like, so that later down the road they can eventually specialize. And who knows, maybe kids not burning out could lead them to become an Olympic champion just like Justine. But now let's get back to volleyball.
Speaker 3: So I started club when I was twelve. I wait, teen and everything too.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but I remember when I was fourteen, I said to myself, fall I'm a really good indoor player, so I can play beach, And I went I was in California for a trip, and I went out and tried to play, and I was dying, absolutely dying. I can't handle the cminus. So you learn a lot from playing beach versus indoor, But did you find one to be particularly harder one?
Speaker 3: Do that you enjoy it more?
Speaker 4: I would say the.
Speaker 2: Hardest part of beach volleyball is just there's two people out there, so there's no really hiding.
Speaker 4: Both of you guys have to do all the skills.
Speaker 2: You have to pass that hit, and I think that just teaches a lot of people about reading the game and also how to be good at each skill. And so I think for me, getting exposed to beach volleyball at such a young age actually taught me a lot and also about you know, stamina and being like I felt like every time I transitioned from beach to indoor, I felt faster, I was jumping higher, just because the sand just creates a lot of difficulty to move. And so it was honestly really good cross training.
Speaker 1: Did you find yourself teaching the younger kids how to play or were you involved in any of that since you.
Speaker 2: Did enjoy being with Yeah, So at Mazuno we had this one team. It was called Beach Babes, and they were like, I think they could be they could start as young as they wanted, and they went up to ten and so each team had to do one tournament of Beach Babes of like helping out coaching, just kind of being their mentoring. And it was so cute because they're playing with those light balls and they're usually playing like from.
Speaker 4: The tenth line to like half core.
Speaker 2: It was such a great way to like connect with the younger athletes and show them a thing or two, but also grow the game because when you starting at that young of an age, it's so fun to be able to see the older girls like and also see that they care.
Speaker 4: About you and want to support you.
Speaker 2: And I think that's one thing that Maszuna Long Beach did a great job of is just creating a family environment. And you felt that from you know, twelve and unders to eighteen and unders.
Speaker 3: That's like California's so good at volleyball.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so let me ask you when you got to club and high school, what position were you?
Speaker 4: I was a setter?
Speaker 3: Okay, yeah, so were you running a five one or a six to two?
Speaker 2: I ran a five to one actually up until my senior year.
Speaker 1: Real quick before, since you know there are people who are listening to this who don't know volleyball, can you explain what a five one is versus six to two?
Speaker 2: Yeah, five to one is when the setter just comes from the back row, setting from the back row all the way through the front row, and then six to two is just when the setter is setting from the back row and then typically an opposite that's coming in and then they do like a double sub and they're able to only set from the back row, So you're always having three attackers.
Speaker 1: Played five line. So I'm sure I know you're five to six. Yeah, short people, you know some love right here. When you were in the front row, did you struggle at all or were you working hard?
Speaker 3: Did the beach yes, say and get you to jump high and help with blocking and.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: I feel like, honestly, that was one thing that I had to really overcome, is you know, the height and the disadvantage that I had, and so I feel like, honestly that was one thing that Beach helped me with, was just the vertical and just trying to at least put some sort of hands above the block but we did a really good job of My coach JP called around. He made sure that no matter what position you were, you were doing all the skills. So if you were a metal blocker, you were involved in defense, passing, and so I feel like that, Like, honestly, we had a really good ball control team, and so it was kind of filling gaps where was needed on that team from like sixteens because my sixteen seventeen eighteens year was the same team, and so we kind of knew each other and we did a really good job of, you know, training everything. And I think that's so important as a young athlete is not to put yourself in a box and specialize in one position. I think, of course, when you're getting to recruitment time and you're starting to look for colleges, yes, you can have a specific position that you want to go for, but when you're ten, eleven, twelve, like, play all the positions, yeah, enjoy and try to do everything you can because I think that's what's going to make you a really good volleyball player down the road.
Speaker 4: And recruiting was a little.
Speaker 3: Tough for you, right, yeah, I mean I had the same thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So what's your story with recruiting, Yeah, that Nebraska.
Speaker 2: So I was mainly looking at a lot of local schools in California as a setter. As a back row setter, you know, maybe a DS super quick.
Speaker 1: DS means defensive specialist and does what the name says, specializes in defense. So this position only plays back row and teams must use a substitution to go in and out of the game. A libero, on the other hand, is free to replace a back row player whenever, as long as it's in between plays. Libero's became a position internationally back in nineteen ninety eight and was introduced in college in two thousand and two to help with ball control and make the game more exciting. You'll know who the libero is because they always wear a different color jersey. All right, Back to Justine.
Speaker 2: What's funny is that going into my junior year of club, we were at nationals and my coach it was never a conversation. He just was like, we need you to go to play libero because we need some passing. And so I was like freaking out because first of all, I didn't bring my other jersey because normally at every club tournament they're like brainbow jerseys just in case I was the one that did not, and so I ended up having to borrow a libero jersey from a different team.
Speaker 4: You know, it worked out.
Speaker 2: I was playing libero for that tournament and Nebraska was you know, kind of roaming the courts and they saw me play. And then after that that tournament we ended up talking and setting up an official visit because after that junior season was into my senior year, so I was pretty late in.
Speaker 4: The recruitment you know period.
Speaker 2: I was a senior when I committed to Nebraska and with like no libero experience at all, and so that was honestly such a like kind of mental block because for me, I'm like thinking I need to chase and like catch up with every other libero in the Big Ten that's been playing for however many years. But I really do credit that to beach volleyball, because I think without beach like, I wouldn't have had all the skills in the court awareness that beach volleyball gives. I was at a good starting point, but of course I wanted to do more and have more.
Speaker 4: Experience in that position.
Speaker 2: So yeah, that was a fun time though, Like I'm so happy for my experience and how club all ended up in just that whole story. But it was just so funny how my coach was like randomly, Like it was never a conversation of like, hey, we're thinking of playing you Libero.
Speaker 4: It was just like, hey, you're going in there.
Speaker 3: Get that jersey right, right.
Speaker 4: And for those who.
Speaker 1: Don't know what a libero is, libero, where's a different colored jersey.
Speaker 3: It's called Libero. It's Italian, yes, free, So that's why they go in and out without any subs.
Speaker 1: So when I played in high school, I was actually an outside hitter. Okay, at five three and a quarter, I always had that quarter in there, right, you have to go extra right, But when it came to club, all of my teammates were five ten or taller.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so I was put as Libero.
Speaker 1: And I just remember at first hating it because I'm like, you just want people to hit balls at me basics.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm the person that they're just aiming for. But I loved it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, when you transition from Cetter to Lobero, did you love it like in college or were you.
Speaker 3: Kind of nervous because Colin is a different life.
Speaker 2: Yeah, For me, I was excited to play because I did love defensive aspect, like I felt like I was as a setter. I love to play defense, like that was the one thing I was like, I love playing and I took pride and playing defense, and so that part I was like pretty confident in.
Speaker 4: I think it was more the serve reception part and not.
Speaker 2: Having as many repetitions as maybe other liberos had. And so that was the struggle for me, is like how do I take up space in the serve receive portion of it? And that's a really tough space to be in because you know that's the first contact and honestly, you're setting it up for all of the offense to be successful. And so my first couple of years at Nebraska, I think that was the biggest struggle for me to kind of overcome, is like how can I be good at SERVI receiving but also be able to like take up more space because as a libero, you know they're not serving you as much, but how do you relieve some of your hitters and other attackers to do what they're doing best? And I think that was the major change for me, is like how can I give an other way that you know, as a setter, you're touching every other contact, You're very involved in the play, and you're leading the charge, leading the offense, and Walberrow is kind of like a different way. I've had to learn how to lead in a different way. And I think mainly in that way, I was using my voice and just directing traffic and seeing how I can be big for other people. And so I've learned that over my career, and I was definitely a transition, but over the years, you know, trial and error, and just with different teammates too. You learn about different teammates and how you can give to them and how you can add in any way, well paid off, you are the.
Speaker 1: Old I mean, I had Nebraska, so I think you figured it out pretty well.
Speaker 4: So when you were in.
Speaker 1: College, did you have any idea that you wanted to keep playing and go pro or play on the US women's national team?
Speaker 3: Is that the dream?
Speaker 2: As I got older into my career, I was getting more confident. I think for me, confidence was like a big issue at Nebraska. And the more and more I saw myself getting more confident, I was like, well, I fel like I have more to give and so after, you know, my senior year, that's when Kurch had reached out and invited me to the national team gym, and I was all for it. I mean, I was honored to even like be able to like be seen in that you know kind of radar, and so for me, I was like, yeah.
Speaker 4: One hundred percent, I'm ready.
Speaker 2: And also that was a huge transition too, from the college game to the international game. But you know, with the help of like so many coaches and teammates, I think it's been you know, a lot of learning and growing and it's it's been really fun.
Speaker 1: What was the transition, Like, what's the big difference between college and international I.
Speaker 4: Think the speed of the game.
Speaker 2: Like I think you see in the college game there are a lot of offenses that.
Speaker 4: Are really speeding up.
Speaker 2: But from Nebraska to my first year in the national team gym, the speed of which we were setting the ball was fast, and so I was like, wow, my my wheels are turning. I'm just like trying to get my bearings down. And I think it was also a lot of turnover withel in the gym. A lot of people were retiring or also taking time off for the first part of the summer, and so there were a lot of opportunities for starting spots, and so I think with that in a new quad, I think that just you know, kind of added a little bit of pressure because there's a lot of newbies that are wanting to take some starting spots. And so it was really fun to like get to know a lot of girls that you've played against in the college game and then now to be able to be teammates and just learn with one another and see the different types of play that are we're all, you know, invited to the national team gym and then kind.
Speaker 4: Of like putting all the puzzle pieces together.
Speaker 1: I kind of had that little bit with club because my club was based in Philadelphia, and I guys an hour north of Philly.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so they combined a lot of girls from all over.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And I just remember playing one girl from a different high school and we used to call her the Robot because she was so mechanical and everything. She would crush us like, yeah, kills, she could find the whole every single time.
Speaker 3: And then she ended up on my team and I was like, you're the brood.
Speaker 1: Yeah, did you ever find it like when you're playing these girls, you had nicknames for them or anything like that where you're like, oh my god, all of a sudden, now i'm teammate.
Speaker 3: Did you know that I used to know you as.
Speaker 2: This not necessarily nicknames, but it's just like you see, especially like if you're playing in the same conference, you play them like at least twice a year, and so it's so funny to be able to like scout them and then now you're you're sitting on the same side and playing with one another.
Speaker 4: I think it's almost like a sigh of relief.
Speaker 5: Because you're like, okay, you might yeah, exactly exactly.
Speaker 3: So you were on the US women's team.
Speaker 1: You joined in twenty eighteen, correct, twenty seventeen seventeen, So how did the transition go from when you joined the US women's team to sign you were going to be going to the Olympics and do.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was honestly a very long process because you know, with COVID and just the postponement of the Olympics. For me, it was a very big blasing in disguise because I feel like I could have been ready if it were to happen in twenty twenty, but I think with the extra year like it allowed me to really like get my goals in alignment and just also like put in the work. And I think we did a lot of self reflection as individuals, but then also as a team, like we were working a lot about our team culture and the dynamics and just how we can be better going into the Olympics and with such a like short season.
Speaker 4: What was very.
Speaker 2: Unique is that we played in a bubble with VNL in twenty twenty one, and so I felt like that allowed us to be super super close with one another, and it was so cool because it was obviously a very hard time with you know, the Olympic roster coming out and then we were still in the bubble and there were cuts being made, but I think the way that people handled it with such grace and with such professionalism, like everyone embraced their roles and just whatever was given to the team, like they gave to the team with one hundred percent. And I think going into the games, we were so close knit and tight knit to each other that it felt like nothing could stop us, Like I really truly believed, because we had put in so much work off the court, like with Zoom meetings and with our sports side and just with each other. We learned how to communicate with each other and just what could we give to one another, And I think that helped us a lot on the court.
Speaker 1: So during that COVID year, when you guys weren't together, yeah, were you practicing at home and training at home solo.
Speaker 3: Or were you able to do anything with your team.
Speaker 2: So at first, like the first like I would say, in May, it was still shut down, so a lot of us were still at our homes and we were doing workouts like wherever we could do them, honestly, whether it was outside in a garage. I remember Jordan Thompson was she was in Minnesota at the time, and it was snowing, and so she was like in like her parka like still getting her workouts in case. We were doing zoom workouts, and so it was so funny, and I think that was like a huge like testament as.
Speaker 4: To like how much we wanted it.
Speaker 2: We were still putting in the work because there was still a possibility of the Olympics maybe happening, and also we were kind of getting you know, waiting to see if Kartch would say if the ASC was going to be open.
Speaker 4: Our training facility, and so I think it was.
Speaker 2: Around June first that we got the green light to come train, and so it was optional for some people to either stay at home or come into Anaheim and train. And so I think we had like a small group of like eight just training and trying to get some work done. And then everyone went into their pro seasons pretty early since we had no national team, and then it was just you know, one one year of work and then we got the call to come back and everything was as normal as it could be with COVID still happening, but with the Olympics being that in that year.
Speaker 1: I want to get to your pros in just a second, but I have to ask what went through your mind when you found out that you are the la OL for US women's national team.
Speaker 4: Very emotional.
Speaker 2: I will say, my journey has not been easy, like whatsoever. I've I've been cut from teams, I've made teams, I've been the starter, I've been a non starter. And so for me to like say that I made the Olympics, like I immediately started crying. I was so emotional, and I think it was just it was just emotional because like I figured it out, it was a lot of self reflection. Of course, it helped with my family and my teammates and coaches, like everyone's been there for me, and I feel like everyone's given me resources to get there. It was just how can I figure it out? And so honestly, it was such a relief and it was just like so rewarding to hear that. And it was crazy because we were in the bubble and so we couldn't like immediately go like tell a teammate or anything because still people were finding out if they.
Speaker 4: Had made it or not.
Speaker 2: So I called my mom and then I called my fiance, and I was trying to be like extra quiet about it because we like, it was just a weird time and it was it was different than it ever had been. Is very unique, but it was Yeah, a lot of emotions for sure.
Speaker 3: Well I was like holding back emotions a little bit.
Speaker 4: Yeah anything, Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Exciting though You're like, I mean, you were the best lorero in the United States.
Speaker 3: That's basically what contact, which is amazing.
Speaker 1: So when you got to Tokyo and twenty twenty, no fans, right, and so Pears is going to be full of spectators, right, So what was it like playing with no fans.
Speaker 3: So what do you think it will be like to play in Paris with fans.
Speaker 4: I think it's going to be very different.
Speaker 2: I think honestly, having no fans was like one less distraction, especially a lot of us were like newcomers to the Olympics. I mean, there are a lot of venues that we've played in, a lot of different countries that we've played in that have a lot of fans, Like you know, when we go to Brazil, they're always showing up for their for their team, And.
Speaker 1: I want to quickly point out how popular volleyball is in Brazil. Soccer is the country's largest sport, but volleyball is second, with a quarter of Brazil's population calling themselves a fan. Their men's and women's team have dominated the sport worldwide for years decades, even having won a total of five gold medals between the two teams eleven Olympic medals overall. The women recently earned silver in the Tokyo Games, losing to Team USA in the finals. Now back to just scene.
Speaker 2: Same in Japan, same and honestly Arlington last year at Vienna was a huge turnout, So I think we've definitely had experiences where we've played in full crowds. It's just you know, when it's the Olympics, it's the biggest stage possible, so that obviously adds a layer of pressure. So I think what will be good about is just front loading that and really trying to be good for each other. A lot of eye contact, a lot of hand contact, I think typically is really good for us, and just knowing that there are people that will be there and so how can we help those that have maybe not been there?
Speaker 3: What do you do on those little flights, Like what do you read? Do you watch tape? You're like picking up the TV and on the back of the chairs.
Speaker 2: Honestly, I'm really good about sleeping on the flight, So as much as as much sleep as I can get, I'll sleep.
Speaker 4: And then a lot of us watch movies and.
Speaker 2: A lot of us we have a lot of readers on the team, so either a book or their kindle they'll bring.
Speaker 4: You read it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, which like your go to genre?
Speaker 4: I love a good romance book? Oh yeah? Really?
Speaker 3: Yeah? What is it about a roman? I'm not into romance books. I don't know what it is. But what do you love about them?
Speaker 4: I don't know, just like the fantasy of it all. Maybe love.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, I've read like a thriller here I'm there. I have to be careful of when I'm reading that because I'm like late.
Speaker 4: At night, like, no, thank you?
Speaker 3: Is your romantic?
Speaker 4: He can be? He can be.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, what's the most romantic thing he's done.
Speaker 2: So unfortunately we're never together for Valentine's Day because I'm always overseas, And so last year when I was in France, he had all of us actually stayed in the same like complex. So one of my teammates that I was pretty close to, he reached out to her and so he had it arranged with like flowers, champagne, chocolates, and so she came into she was like, go upstairs real quick, I'm gonna set something up, and so she put it on the table for me and she was like, this is for me Andrew.
Speaker 4: So that was really sweet.
Speaker 2: He's pretty good about that, like reaching out to a teammate if it's like a big you know, holiday or like anniversary or something.
Speaker 1: Well, next year you're going to be part of love and you're gonna be here in the state, so you get to celebrate.
Speaker 5: Yeah, he better fly to Nebraska, that's a lot easier exactly. Germany, Yeah, yeah, for sure, So real quick going to your pro league, What was it like playing internationally?
Speaker 3: Yeah, versus internationally with a yeah team.
Speaker 2: It's pretty different, I think just the lifestyle and also the language barrier, for sure, is it sometimes you know, in Germany for example, every like actually I would say in France too, everyone speaks English. It's just how you go into a practice or how maybe systems are differently, and so I think that's been the biggest differentiator with like being you know, home with Americans and then also being overseas with just a lot of international players. It's just how we approach things. And I think that's been kind of tough to overcome at some points in some seasons because you're not going to you know, have the same outlook as maybe a Serbian or Hungarian and so. And that's fine, but it's just how can can we collaborate and you know, get on a common ground. But it's very fun because you meet so many different people that maybe you wouldn't have met in like, you know, normal jobs and so, and it's so fun to be able to establish those relationships and also like you know, down the road they're like, hey, like can I come visit you at California or vice versa, like can I come visit you in Hungary? And so I think that's always fun to make those real relationships and also keep them for sure.
Speaker 1: And then I feel like all the different cultures and all the different food that they can make and experience.
Speaker 4: Yes, that's so fun. Yeah, we had that one time.
Speaker 2: We actually had a Thanksgiving this past year and we had some girls like bring stuff like from their own culture and that was super fun, super fun because they're like what is Thanksgiving?
Speaker 4: Like we've never heard of it or like basically we just make a bunch of food and eat.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So some people came over and found the rock and became friends.
Speaker 5: Yeah yeah, yeah, exactly what did they make there?
Speaker 4: Was our setup made musaka. It's basically like a lasagna.
Speaker 2: But with a lot of different like Mediterranean vegetables.
Speaker 4: It was super yummy.
Speaker 3: So coming back.
Speaker 1: To love being here in the States, Yeah, what are you looking forward to the most now that you're going to be playing professionally.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think getting more opportunities to play in front of friends and family, and with that, I think also like spreading the word about professional volley I think at least when I was younger, like I didn't know where to go for pro volleyball, like what that might even look like. And so I think spreading that awareness to the young athletes and knowing that, you know, if they do want to do this in the later years, it's there for them, and just connecting, you know, the pro to the youth is going to be I think for me, I'm really excited about that part.
Speaker 1: And your former club team is a love team. All yeah, it's like all full circle, right, I.
Speaker 4: Know, I know, I'm really excited to go back to Omaha.
Speaker 1: Speaking of Nebraska real quick, because Nebraska just had that record setting.
Speaker 4: Oh my gosh, world record setting apparents.
Speaker 3: You know, most people had attendance at a women's spring.
Speaker 1: Did do you ever imagine at some point that that could have happened when you were playing?
Speaker 4: No, Oh my gosh, I'm like no.
Speaker 2: But also I'm not surprised that Nebraska was able to pull that off because the state of Nebraska is so so invested in.
Speaker 4: Volleyball, but also like the sports in.
Speaker 2: General, and I think when I was there, you could feel that as an athlete, you could really feel that support, and I think they're like all for everything that's about to come. And so I think that's the most special part is including them, you know, with love and being able to play in front of them and just see what we can do for the sport.
Speaker 1: So, speaking about you personally, what do you hope that your legacy as a volleyball player will be.
Speaker 2: I would love to just hopefully like inspire the young athletes, like I said, because I think coming from a club Mazu in a long beach and having that family environment, like I want that for the young athletes. I want them to be like, oh, you know, love, Omaha athlete came to my practice and was able to mentor me, and so I think for me that's the biggest thing is just being able to pass it down to the younger athletes for sure.
Speaker 3: And what do you hope volleyball will be in five ten years?
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, I hope we have a love team in every state and you know we're able to do this long term and who knows, Like I'm down to play it for.
Speaker 4: As long as I can. Now if we have volleyball.
Speaker 2: In America, like I can see people prolonging their career. And also I think it's really cool that like even Europeans and other countries are able to come because I think when they hear about America and volleyball in the same sentence, they're like, so for it.
Speaker 1: What advice do you have for girls who are coming up?
Speaker 3: But also since your parents were so involved, yes, for what advice.
Speaker 1: Do you have for parents who are dealing with kids or who have kids who want to pursue this.
Speaker 2: I would just say for the parents, as long as they want it, keep on encouraging them to do it, because I think for me, like I've always had that and I've always felt supported and even if it wasn't vulleyable, like they were going to support me no matter what. And so I think that's always a good feeling to have, especially when you're younger and as a young athlete. I would just say, like I would encourage them to keep playing every.
Speaker 4: Position in volleyball, also play all the sports that you can.
Speaker 2: I think you know a lot of young kids, they just like really get put in a box, and I think down the road that's only going to limit them.
Speaker 4: And I feel like.
Speaker 2: As we grow and grow, the sport, and we're trying to, you know, bring the international game here to America. There's going to be just less substitutions, for example, and I think the game is going to evolve.
Speaker 4: And so as long as you.
Speaker 2: Can really be well rounded and see yourself, you know, doing multiple positions for as long as you can, I think that's only going to enhance your career and make you a better volleyball player.
Speaker 1: Well just see, thank you so much for joining me for pink Thanks for having me. Serving Pancakes is an iHeart women's sports production in partnership with Deep Blue Sports and Entertainment. You can find us on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts. Production by League One Volleyball. I'm your host Tiffany Oshinsky. Anya Oliverarez is our senior producer. Our executive producers are Carrie Stett, Tamara Daiki, and Lindsay Hoffman. Our marketing lead is Jawara Parker. Sound mixing by Max Lorenzen. Our theme music is Pancakes by Eric W. Mast Junior special thanks to Justine Wangurantes. We'll be back next week with Jordan Larson, a three time Olympic medalist, who has dominated the sport for decades as a powerful outside hitter, and who will be back this summer in Paris. Stay tuned for what we serve up next.