Speaker 1: This is live coverage of the twenty twenty six Steelers Training Camp or the Steelers Audio Network, presented by bud Light, Easy to Drink, Easy to Enjoy, and brought to you in part by Clearview Federal Credit Union. For every touchdown the Black and Gold Score in twenty twenty six, Clearview will donate five hundred dollars to the Light of Life Mission. Visit CLEARVIEWFCU dot org. Easy home exteriors, fast, reliable and affordable, Schneider Downs discover the value of big thinking with a personal focus. US steel Mine melted and made in the USA, your neighborhood Forward Store and by the Steelers Pro Shop Visitshop dot Steelers dot com.
Speaker 2: Our number two of the drive high Toop Chucknollfield, Saint Vincent College, all part of our ongoing training camp coverage. By this point you better know the drill, Euler and Williamson rock and rolling along here on another day, Matt, where we've got some buses lined up up top. So I have a feeling the evening walk through will probably be over indoors. Not because I don't think of any uh any weather concerns here the rest of the evening, but those fields are gonna be wet and soggy and ry. Why beat up the fields more just for a just for an evening walkthrough. But yeah, they sure do. They always do a great job of keeping these things intact, and they have certainly done that so far to this point. Matt, what do you say we get back into the freaks list?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm curious, guys.
Speaker 2: Again, this is uh. This is from Bruce Feldman, who we think is one of the best college football analysts going.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 2: Bruce has worked for ESPN over the years. He's been with a lot of different outlets. He's one of those kind of college football czar types, Matt, that you know, I remember as long as I can be alive reading and covering their work, like the like the Phil Steels of the world and the Bruce Feldman's.
Speaker 3: And Fields Phil Steele's book is like like Mel's Blue Books.
Speaker 2: Yeah, God, I know that I've told you this story before, But two quick little Phil Steel anecdotes for you. The first is every July. You know, when I was growing up, first week in July, my family would all go to Hilton Head, South Carolina, and that week, the same week, the NCAA College football game came out, and the Phil Steel college football season preview came out. So every single summer.
Speaker 3: I think that's good for young would we would all.
Speaker 2: We would all meet at my grandparents' farm in Clarksburg, West Virginia, and we'd all load into My grandpa had a sick RV when I was growing up. We'd all load into the RV and you know, drive eleven hours or ten hours, whatever it was, to Hilton Head, and my grandpa would stop in Summersville, West Virginia. For anyone from Western Pa who's ever traveled down to the Carolina Beaches, you go through Summersville, West Virginia, there's a massive like Walmart shopping center there. He would pull off there to get gas and I would run in and I'd jag same spot every July, and the young Wesley would get his his his copy of the the latest NCAA college football game for Xbox, and they'd get the Phil Steel magazine. Baby, and I'd just sit in the back of the RV for ten hours and didn't didn't mind the ride. One I sure did. And those things were those things were gospel. And now Matt the WU show that I do we have Phil Steel on every Friday during the season. He's kind of become a friend in real life, which has tickled me to death. And I've told him a million times about how I used to love his work growing up. And so now he's actually based out of Cleveland. I don't know if you know this, don't. That's where he lives, right outside of Cleveland, and that's where his office is, and he's got like ten full time employees. I think, wow. And now he mails he mails me a copy of the magazine every year. Nice free in charge, yep, free of charge. Just got it a couple of weeks ago. And it's like three hundred some pages this year.
Speaker 3: And every team has a beefy chat.
Speaker 2: Every team has a real beefy chapter. And I think it's harder for him now than ever in this transferportal era. He's still his magazine used to come out, like I said, like right at the end of June, like right around July fourth. Now it comes out like the end of July because he wants to give the most amount of time to get the most accurate information possible.
Speaker 3: So I'm not as familiar with college media folks. Feldman has been doing it a long time.
Speaker 2: Time too real, long time.
Speaker 3: I mean his freak list is kind of like Sando quarterback Tiers, like it's a big article that comes out every year. But I didn't know what else he does.
Speaker 2: Yes, No, he does. I think he's I mean, he's obviously been a reporter for a long time and now does a lot of the analyst realm. I think he used to work on some broadcasts. Don't quote me on that, but I do think he's been a part of some college football broadcasts in the past. But no, he's supered out in definitely. Definitely one of those guys that when you know, when he puts something out, we listen.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Two quarterbacks met left on this freak list. Just that I wanted to mention before before we kind of talk about some of the names at the top is Arch one of them. Arch is not one of them.
Speaker 3: Okay, he's a really good athlete.
Speaker 2: And Dante Moore is not one of them either. I was a little surprised by by both of those. The two quarterbacks that we haven't discussed at this point, one is actually the highest of any of the quarterbacks. One is the lowest. The lowest is bo Pribula number ninety on this list.
Speaker 3: I don't know him.
Speaker 2: Matt He started his career at Penn State, so he's from York, Pennsylvania. Was like a three time, two time state champion at York High School, which isn't local to us, but it's also not terribly far away there a couple hours away in Pennsylvania. He started at Penn State, and then he transferred to Missouri, and now he is in his third team in three years, as he will be the starting quarterback for Virginia for UVA Wahoo wah.
Speaker 3: So he'll actually he must have been behind Aler.
Speaker 2: He was behind Aller, yes, and then I don't know what happened at Missouri. He had a decent year last year. I don't know if it's because they brought somebody else in, and I think I don't know if they have a new coach, but I think they brought somebody else in, maybe a big time transfer. And he transferred to Virginia along with Eli Holstein if you remember him, the pit quarterback from last year.
Speaker 3: Yes, before.
Speaker 2: Mason Heinschel took over. So Pribula and Holstein a little bit of a battle there at Virginia. It sounds like Pribula has won the and he checks in at number ninety on this list. Speedy transfer, who started his career at Penn State before going to Missouri, now on his third Power for Conference team in three years. Started ten games for Missouri last year, completed sixty seven and a half percent of his passes for a little over nineteen hundred yards eleven touchdowns nine interceptions. He did, though, also rushed for three hundred yards and six touchdowns six to two two hundred twelve pounds on this list because of his wheels, he most notably has an elite change of direction. He clocked a three point nine to four shuttle time, quicker than any time put up at the NFL Combine in the previous four years since Matt's Boy, Jackson Smith and jig But did it in twenty twenty three. Pribulation really something, particularly for a quarterback. Pribula also ran a blazing six' eight four to three cone, time which would have been the second fastest of any player at last year's, combine behind our very own Germ Jeremy, bernardis who ran a six seven to one to lead the pack Last.
Speaker 3: You KNOW i love wide receivers with three, Couns, yes you. Do That's bernard plays that way.
Speaker 2: Too that's a that's a scouting insider tip there From Matt. Williamson SO i know nothing about this.
Speaker 3: Guy you just introduced him to, me AND i wonder if he doesn't work out a, quarterback could he be a position switch? Guy? MAYBE i, mean because he can sounds like he can.
Speaker 2: Fly he's not on my he's not on my list of around, campus but he's a guy THAT i always keep an eye, on just because he's From. Pennsylvania you, know the pen was at Penn state and now is on the schedule For, virginia WHO wu will see here in about a.
Speaker 3: Month, okay so you'll watch a game of?
Speaker 2: His oh, absolutely, Absolutely september. TWELFTH i think that is down In. Charlotte actually we Played virginia neutral site game down weird down at The Panthers, stadium which will be pretty, cool but it is kind of. Weird why woul't they just sign a home and home and do it on? Campus can you get? There, no we'll Be, Unfortunately i'll be getting on a. Plane i'll be getting on a plane To New england that. Day but but that's. OKAY i went in twenty, eighteen we Played tennessee there and beat them at The Panthers. Stadium that was a lot of. FUN i do, WISH i do WISH i could be going this, year but that's all. Right i'll take going up To New england and going up To Foxborough stadium once, again and Then. Matt the highest quarterback on this list is number twenty, Eight Chase mason out Of South Dakota.
Speaker 3: State also don't know.
Speaker 2: Him i'm not very familiar with. Him i'm not gonna lie to, you but after reading From bruce, HERE i might have to add him to our list of guys to keep an eye. On he took over as a starting quarterback last year After week. Three The South Dakota State jackrabbits went eight and one with him in his first go as a starter over sixty five percent completion, percentage a little over two thousand, yards fifteen touchdowns against just four. Interceptions he also ran for six touchdowns in one hundred and seventy five yards six four and a half two hundred and forty. Pounds oh. Wow one of the most impressive athletes amongst quarterbacks. Nationally according To Bruce, feldman forty inch vertical jump forty twenty two six four and a half clocked at twenty two point seven miles per hour were on THE. Gps who and has?
Speaker 3: UH i wonder if he could be a position?
Speaker 2: Changed has been seen throwing the football eighty two yards eighty two during? Practice?
Speaker 3: Wow, wow that's what people at the top of the freak. List you know that that's kind of What that's what this whole conversation is. ABOUT i, mean, like these guys in the top, twenty top ten.
Speaker 2: Doesn't mean you're the best football.
Speaker 3: Players, oh they're just freaky athletes or freaks in the weight room or. Whatever he certainly.
Speaker 2: Qualifies so he's the number one.
Speaker 3: Quarterback even if he can't hit the broadside of the. Barn someone's gonna have some interest in.
Speaker 2: It i'm gonna have. To i'm gonna have to add. Him Chase mason From South Dakota state to the. List Tucker Crafts.
Speaker 3: College, yes they put pumped out some, guys they sure.
Speaker 2: Have, yeah that Wasn't oh was that was That mason.
Speaker 3: McCormick, NO i think they all went to the one THAT wentz went to that pumps out Of North North Dakota. State North Dakota.
Speaker 2: STATE i Thought mason was. WRONG i get them confused to SEE u he Played South Dakota. State he was A South yeah, yeah. Yep so both those both those schools in The dakota sneakily put some, good right good guys into THE nfl pretty. Consistently, So, matt that's it for uh in terms of the quarterbacks and some of those that we've we've discussed AND uh and you, know kept tabs on and all those different. Things into the top ten, Here. Matt handful of wide, receivers handful of edge rushers represented in the top, ten which is not. Surprising. Uh number ten is a guy THAT i want to start keeping an eye on this year because, man it just seems Like TEXAS a AND m is consistently pumping out good or part of, Me texas is consistently pumping out. GOOD i Guess TEXAS a AND m is as. Well they've had a couple first round picks. Recently but edge Rushers Colin simmons out Of, texas he was first Team ALL sec last, year led the conference in. Sacks he's got twenty one sacks in his first two.
Speaker 3: Years Toive texas a big time.
Speaker 2: Prospect, yeah six three, two forty five nine percent body. Fat he cleans three hundred and thirty five, pounds twenty five point six inch uh jump, basically you, know world class explosiveness and strength To he's been clocked at over twenty miles per hour on THE. Gps just twenty years old and, man just kind of all the stuff you can't. Coach prototypical size and just a just a really good athlete there to go with the production to go with it. Too matt with twenty one. Sacks, yeah in his first two years on. Campus just What i've.
Speaker 3: Learned about him as a draft prospect is he could certainly challenge to be very very early.
Speaker 2: Picked he was one of the ONES i think you mentioned to me back in Like, june.
Speaker 3: There was like two edge.
Speaker 2: Dudes make sure you're keeping an eye on. Him number nine on this list is A manuel o'koy out of Cal he is another edge. Rusher he's A he's a product mat of the NFL's International Player pathway, program discovered get this by Former giant star Oc U manyura in twenty twenty two at a camp In. Ghana.
Speaker 3: Wow that.
Speaker 2: Same season in twenty twenty, three he signed with The university Of tennessee before sustaining an injury and ultimately transferring To cal six four two fifty eight percent body, fat bench presses over four hundred, pounds squats over five hundred, pounds cleans three sixty five forty two inch vertical broad jumped eleven, feet hit twenty one and a half miles an hour on THE.
Speaker 3: Gps, okay interesting, backstory obviously very numbers obviously are great. Too BUT i don't think people need me to, say, boy those numbers are. GREAT i, mean that's why They're we're having.
Speaker 2: Ten of The freaks. List pretty cool for a guy who who you, know, interesting didn't grow up here and with football as you know at the.
Speaker 3: FOREFRONT i have not seen him on preseason draft. LIST i wonder if he's gonna unlikely to come. Out he probably is somewhat. Raw if he grew up and gone, ON i would think.
Speaker 2: So, yeah but, hey maybe we've got maybe we've got Another we're seeing one of those guys who's raw and didn't grow up playing football here in terms Of Maxie Hana. Chorgan sorry like what we're seeing so. Far number eight on the, List Kid piper Of. Iowa maybe the Next iowa stud. Lineman think he's a guard six, three three hundred. Pounds matt was a first Team All american By Pro Football focus last. Year started thirteen games at right. Guard last, year he was number twenty two on This freaks. List he moves up to number eight after setting An iowa record for fastest short shuttle amongst offensive lineman four point one three.
Speaker 3: Seconds i've told you guys many times that interior, alignment especially guards with great short, shuttles almost never. Bust it's one of the full proof you, know numbers that translate.
Speaker 2: Heaviest uh has the record for the heaviest squat by a guard In iowa history this offseason with six hundred and.
Speaker 3: Eighty he's only three hundred. Pounds he's not like a three twenty.
Speaker 2: Guy, okay, wow number, Seven, Kamari.
Speaker 3: I've seeing him at the top of guardless he's he's.
Speaker 2: ONE i think that we'll be talking about a, lot you, know come Come February march next. Year not necessarily for The, steelers but for a. Guy could be early. Pick maybe the first guard off the. Board Kamari, copeland the defensive tackle From Virginia, tech checks in at number. Seven he was top twenty five on this list last. Year seven and a half TFLs four and a half sex sacks also had an. Interception he is six to two hundred and ninety. Pounds has really. IMPRESSIVE i mean back squad seven hundred and thirty five pounds clocked over twenty miles per hour on THE. Gps broad jump of him twenty seven feet and seven inches ran a four to six to four, shuttle which would have been the number one time of any defensive tackle in the NFL's yeah pass. Combine he is only six two two, ninety but that's a great he can. Fly. Man Arian carter number, Six university Of tennessee. Linebacker he was twelve on the list last, year moves up to six this. Year bench presses over four hundred pounds vertical of forty two and a half was a three hundred meter hurdle state champion in high school. Linebacker, yeah clocked twenty one point seven miles per. Hour those are pretty for THE. Gps, yeah they are. Wow six one two thirty. Five he's ALSO sec Academic honor roll for the past three years and led the conference and tackles per game the sec last. Year, uh pretty impressive there for number six on the list into the top. Five Jaden, woods the edge rusher From. Florida he's another one of those. GUYS i wonder we might might have to Pick max's brain on this. Guy at some point was forty on the list last, Year matt moves up to number. Five had three and a half, sacks five TFLs in an interception as a true freshman last, year SO i don't think he's draft l. Yet he's a legit four to four speed. Guy Former kansas SIX a state champion in shot put and in discuss explosive, yes broad jumped ten to, five vertical jump thirty three, five shuttle time a four point two eight squats over five hundred and fifty power cleans three sixty. Five he's six three two fifty and ran a twenty point six on THE.
Speaker 3: Gps still a young, Pup.
Speaker 2: Still a young. Pup number four is the, next you, know kind Of miami has not only had some really good quarterbacks, lately they've also had some really good offensive. Lineman Jackson cantwell could be that next top draft. Pick he's fourth overall in the. List his, Dad matt is a five time world champion in the shot put and was a was a silver medallist at the two thousand and Eight Olympic. Games that's the kind of stuff you want to hear from O. Linman his mom was a two TIME ncaa shotput national champion AT smu who also competed in The.
Speaker 3: Olympics does he have a shot put back though he.
Speaker 2: Does he was one of the most gifted shot putters and discus throwers in the world at his. Age in twenty twenty, four he set the national high school record for sophomores throwing a shot put when he threw one almost seventy five.
Speaker 3: Feet so all those shot putters and not as much discus FROM i, understand but especially shot putters really translate to line, balance body, control explosive and. Powerful. YEAH i Think Tristan wirfs was a big time shot putter as well as. Wrestler that would make.
Speaker 2: Sense. Yeah, Yeah AND i Think jackson can't well can't declare for another, year so he could be he could be a main stay for two years there At. Miami number. Three Amari, washington the defensive tackle out Of. OREGON i think we might have talked a little bit about him at some. Points speculation first round last. Year, ye, yeah he might have been Like Hemmer Kenyon, sadi you, know might have been the first organ player. Drafted he goes, back which was a big coup for, them along with you, know Keeping dante More and he was number four on this list last. Year matt moves up to number three this. Year four and a half, TFLs one and a half, sacks twenty two, pressures eight. PBUs he trimmed down to three twenty.
Speaker 3: SEVEN i think he's a bigger defensive.
Speaker 2: Lost about ten pounds this. Offseason clocked twenty point seven miles per hour on THE.
Speaker 3: Gp, yes that's moving for being three to twenty plus.
Speaker 2: Thirty five inch vertical power cleaned three sixty five squatted eight fifty. Five oh good. Lord unbelievable and and a guy who you, know his get off is outstanding out of.
Speaker 3: Quickness, yeah he didn't do a whole lot of homework when he didn't come. Out that's.
Speaker 2: Unbelievable he's going to be one to really keep an eye.
Speaker 3: On oh, yeah HE'S i mean any first round mock you, see he's his name's in it right now and in.
Speaker 2: The top two names on this, List matt or two guys that are going to be drafted very highly in the draft this Upcoming. April number Two Jeremiah, smith wide receiver From Ohio.
Speaker 3: STATE i, mean if you build run in the, lab it looks like.
Speaker 2: Him he would have probably been a top five pick the last two years if he would to come.
Speaker 3: So, YEAH i forget what PODCAST i was listening, to like if he decided to sit out this, YEAR i think he's a top three. PICK i Mean Chase, Style, yeah, YEAH i mean maybe a quarterback or two goes ahead of, him maybe one other position, player BUT i mean guaranteed top five pick if he doesn't even play he or, frankly if even got. Hurt.
Speaker 2: Yeah he won't turn twenty one until the day after the college football regular season. Ends he's still just twenty years, old cutting into his third year of being the dude FOR i.
Speaker 3: Guess he doesn't have to come, out but why would he not come? Out that'd be shocked if he.
Speaker 2: Did according To Bruce, feldman best player in the country best player on this list already has twenty over twenty five hundred receiving yards and twenty seven touchdown. Receptions that's the both of, years both of the most by Any big ten receiver in their first two years of. College last year twelve touchdowns alone over twelve hundred yards six three and a half two twenty.
Speaker 3: Five some of the numbers for these guys that are Like Ohio state And georgia are crazy to me because there's a lot of fourth quarters don't even. Play you, know they're up like forty five to three right look Out.
Speaker 2: Yep like HIS Ca matt is a more Explosive Andre. Johnson, OH i, mean.
Speaker 3: That's andre's one of my.
Speaker 2: FAVORITES i was just gonna say when that's not like.
Speaker 3: Comparing them To Jim. Brown he deserves.
Speaker 2: That when you're saying he's more explosive than AN Nfl hall Of fame wide, Receiver he's a.
Speaker 3: Superstar he's also. HUGE i think he ran like a four to three eight at his combine.
Speaker 2: Too, andre, yep twenty three and a half miles per. Hour he's been clocked on THE. Gps. Uh he's just and he's.
Speaker 3: Big he's two thirty something like.
Speaker 2: That he's just an absolute.
Speaker 3: Freak.
Speaker 2: Yeah mean's he's one of those guys that has had the spotlight on him since he was in high School Gino smith's, Cousin Gino smith's younger. Cousin SO i think that certainly helped a little. Bit like right every summer when he was in high, school there'd be videos of him And, gino you, know like working out and. Throwing and then obviously you end up being one of the top recruits and you go To Ohio state and, yeah he's.
Speaker 3: More than lived up to. It you, know he's superstar on the field.
Speaker 2: Too i'm glad you mentioned. That to. Me that always means a. Lot, yeah when you are one of these guys who's hyped from the time that you're a teenager and you not only kind of live up to the, hype but you exceed.
Speaker 3: It you're the best player in the.
Speaker 2: Country it's that's really hard to, do, Man like we see so often these guys that are really hyped and they end up being fine. Players but you, know when you can do the uh The Lebron james, thing The Sidney crosby, thing The Bryce harper, thing or you're on the front Of Sports, illustrated it's sixteen years old and you have a hall and you have A hall Of fame, career that that says a.
Speaker 3: LOT i THINK i really picture him like With mendoza next, year or If willis hits with The, dolphins.
Speaker 2: You, know Like Jane daniels maybe in way, yeah, yeah, Yeah but you're. RIGHT i, MEAN i think if if you were The raiders and uh kind of had the genie in the, bottle like you can have anybody fall to you in the in the top of the drafts.
Speaker 3: For these guys that might be the.
Speaker 2: Ones but then number one on this.
Speaker 3: Also a receiver that is transferring From auburn To texas who most years would be the first receiver taken To. COLEMAN i think his last name.
Speaker 2: IS i still think it'll Be Jeremiah. Smith but there is another another name in the competition, here and it's the number one guy on this. List It's Nick, harbor The South carolina wide. Receiver is he a little?
Speaker 3: Younger he?
Speaker 2: Is he just he just turned twenty one last.
Speaker 3: Month, wow so oh so he's eligible probably though he.
Speaker 2: Is he will definitely be. Eligible he him obviously And leonora's sellers will be a big part of trying to Get South carolina turned. Around, uh he. Is according To Bruce, Feldman i've done this list for almost a quarter century, now And Nick harbor is the first ever back to back number one. Frequently he was number one last year. Too, yeah he said, that you, know he said that it Would he, thought you, know a generational talent Like Jeremiah smith might bump him from the from the top. Spot but he's back at number. One to be this big and this blazing fast is truly. Rare what's his? Size six sixty wide, Out, yes over thirty five inch, arms eighty two and a half Inch wingspanikes ran a ten to one in the one hundred meter dash and a twenty point two in the two hundred meters dash for The South carolina Game cocks track, team where he's competing against runners sixty pounds lighter than Y, yes just turned twenty one last. Month last, year he had six hundred and eighteen yards and six. TOUCHDOWNS i don't know if he's a great football player. Yet that's the that's the big that's the big. Kicker but he did finish the season, strong back to back one hundred yard receiving games Against TEXAS a AND m And.
Speaker 3: Clemson as you know, too the Game cocks didn't block.
Speaker 2: Anybody they sure did not two thirty Five matt he weighs topped out at twenty three point eight miles per hour in THE. Gps, oh that's.
Speaker 3: UNBELIEVABLE i knew he was a freaky, athlete BUT i have not seen him talked about amongst like surefire first round pick type. Guys.
Speaker 2: Yet this might be six,' six this might be a little low, hanging FRUIT but i think we could see Some Some, Mike Evans johnny manzel and what they did their last Year AT texas A and m and then both ended up his first round draft Picks between Sellers.
Speaker 3: And, harbor, OKAY now.
Speaker 2: I hope that neither of those guys bombs Out Like johnny. Manzel did but And comparing harbor to A future Hall of Famer And mike evans might be a little bit of a of, lofty EXPECTATIONS but i think you Get what i'm saying for they could take a MID tier, sec team vaunt them to the top for a year and, end up, you know scoring a million points and winning a lot, of games both being.
Speaker 3: High, picks okay.
Speaker 2: There's a little look at a freaks list a little around. Campus. Here, yeah absolutely as we've got some some time here On this monday with a we are nineteen days Away from, week, zero wow which which has which isn't a, loaded slate but always has some. Good games now you get you know what we get.
Speaker 3: Uh in two or? Three? Headliners yeah what we get in.
Speaker 2: Nineteen days matt is?
Speaker 3: We?
Speaker 2: Get uh We Get bill belichick's U N C tar HEELS against tcu The horn Frogs. In dublin, oh yeah that'll be a. Fun one and then there's a, couple OTHERS like I Think florida state has a has. A game, you know there's always a couple in interesting games.
Speaker 3: To watch i'm always interested In the week zero.
Speaker 2: Oh absolutely and then especially because that means that that real college football action AND real nfl action are right around. The corner and we.
Speaker 3: Thought everybody doesn't, every no not Everybody plays? Week? Zero, correct?
Speaker 2: Okay, correct YEA although i think more and, more so and as YOU and i have, talked about especially IF the nfl season gets moved up a, week earlier it's been expanding And expanding.
Speaker 3: Week. Zero okay it used to be a couple. Of games now it's a lot. Of games but it's not, every, team yes.
Speaker 2: Exactly right there's a little look. Around campus there's a little college football conversation for you On. This monday we'll get back INTO some nfl And some steelers topics when We Return, West Scheeler. Matt williamson It's, the drive all part of our ongoing training Camp Coverage Steelers nation radio On The Steelers. Audio network.
Speaker 1: Please Please Live covery jump dot twenty Twenty Six Steelers training camp Or The Steelers, audio network presented By, Bud light Easy, To drink Easy, to enjoy brought to you in Part By Always safe Flagging And traffic control making traffic safe again called four one two three oh one twenty three hundred or visit us online at awsafe dot net for a quote Today, by FedEx the new Power move Independence Health System expert. Care Here Remax Select Realty Visit Remax select pittsburgh. Dot Com The laurel Highlands of pennsylvania Visit Go laurel highlands. Dot Com The Steelers pro shop Visitshop dot steelers dot com And Buy condiente Pizza. And drafthouse.
Speaker 2: Rolling along here on the Campus Of Saint vincent College. And matt, you know we always know people, are, Listening, right, YEAH yeah i mean this is the drive for crying. Out loud but it's nice to know that people are listening. To way we got a bunch of tweets during that last uh freaks list pseudo. AROUND campus i know people be super into that. Or not it's funny you know. That too sometimes you know it's the soon who's been doing this for a, long time JUST like. I have sometimes you're doing a topic segment and, you're, like oh this is, going great this is, crushing it like people are, love this and you get, no.
Speaker 3: Response you get like you get like one or.
Speaker 2: Two comments and then sometimes you're doing a segment and, you're like are people tuning? This out? Are people are people changing? The channel and then you go and you look at you got a dozen tweets about, you know chiming in and comments and all that. Good stuff it is funny how. That works but a, couple uh A couple i guess, you know uh teased to cross and eyes to dot from that. Last segment Steally kringle, BERRY says i look forward to these around campus segments every. Every year by, the way it is pronounced nico ea maliava is how you pronounce it ea Mali yava i'm just gonna Call him NICO because i bet you'll get.
Speaker 3: That wrong there's people really like.
Speaker 2: HIM too i mean a lot of that stuff that you can't coach the six' five, in the athleticism but YOU got to i. Mean, two fifteen yeah That's Like the marcel Red, GUY from TEXAS a and m. That We've talked he, oh my god he's. Like, one ninety yeah he's well. Under Two hundred, MISTER morris says i want to know your Guys' Thoughts. ABOUT drew mestamaker i think he could. Be the answer he's on the. Around campus, packet oh Yeah he's he's he Is The current oklahoma state Quarterback Transferred from north texas with his. Head coach there, who you KNOW after what i think twenty Some Years of mike gundy being the Head Coach, at oklahoma state now a new era There, for the cowboys and they spent big to kind of bring him with his Head Coach. From north texas he's got, To, prove it matt because he's had. A meteoric, rise i mean he was a, zero star recruit walked on it even starting, his high school didn't even start at, his high school Walked On, at north texas ended up having a monster year last year and his second year, as the starter and now follows his his head Coach to, the big twelve to the power for to a big step. Up in competition but he is absolutely, on The. List, mister morris oh he's in, The.
Speaker 3: First round mick and.
Speaker 2: He's one, of those guys not in, all of them but he pops up in a lot of if you look At the draft nicks, of the world as, we call him the people who do draft, stuff full time he's on a lot of first round mocks and on a lot of like. Quarterback watch lists and it wouldn't.
Speaker 3: SHOCK me, too i mean just your, radar GOES off because i mean it's not fair to. Lump guys together but he could not take the jump in competition particularly well you know WHO knows well i.
Speaker 2: Will say this we were Just Talking about phil steel in the previous. Segment as well he said that he Would Bank on messa Maker Being at oklahoma state. For two years he still has two more, years of eligibillity so that he's maybe more so of a twenty twenty eight draft class keep, an eye on but he's out there and as. A, monster season obviously all. Bets are off he's, a. Good name though jeff tweets Us and says missouri Brought In quarterback Austin Simmons. From old Miss that's why Pribbula. Transferred to virginia so there's our answer. On That One with trinidad chambliss coming BACK for what i think is what his sixteenth Years Eligibility And Old miss austin simmons wants to get. On the field he was.
Speaker 3: Stuck, behind, chance yes yes.
Speaker 2: He transfers to Missoo and then Pribula transfers From missoo to virginia and what is kind of that never ending uh case of, a of uh.
Speaker 3: It's SO, weird, the nfl, no, you know no back, in the, day, be like, OH from competition i. Mean hit home but they Were hard on Flacco for leaving pitt To. Go to, delaware, you're like oh you don't want To Compete with tyler. PALCO or, WHATEVER i mean i don't. WANT to play i, Want TO play and i.
Speaker 2: THINK you're right i think even especially now coaches of kind of they've started looking at that, in DIFFERENT ways like i get to evaluate him. In multiple systems how does he do, with this coordinator how does he do? With that corda how does he pick up new stuff?
Speaker 3: On the Fly And your penn state scout's going to, Ask about, him you're uh majority of scouts going to, ask about him and then when.
Speaker 2: YOU walk, In, I remember matt i Think it was i'm pretty sure It Was, The Caleb, Williams Drake May Jaden, daniels draft okay AND you AND i And i think. Dale as well, at the time it was one of those kind of crossover shows that we do at Things. Like THE combine so i can't remember if it was you Were on WITH motes And i and omar sat, down with US or if i was on With you And dale and omar sat, down with us but. Regardless it was it was one, of those situations and one of us asked him a question, Kind, of like Hey You've got caleb williams play at, two Big programs right OKLAHOMA And then Usc You've, got drake may Who's Been in north carolina Through. And through guy Then You have jade, Daniels Two programs ARIZONA. State and lsu We.
Speaker 3: Didn't know nick was going in. The first round but he had two, major.
Speaker 2: PROGRAM absolutely and i remember talking About that with omar in one of the Things that that. Omar talked, About Of, Course omar kahn, steelers, General, manager was hey in a, lot of ways it's a benefit to. Us these guys now we can talk to, multiple coaching staffs we can talk to a lot of different you see him in two different systems to like how quickly can they pick up the new stuff at. THEIR new school i was definitely sent.
Speaker 3: WITH you guys i remember, that pretty.
Speaker 2: Big and that was that was a EYE opening, where i.
Speaker 3: Mean scouting is mostly about. JUST data, Points i.
Speaker 2: Mean i'm many, so that's why in, A weird way i think THAT they almost i don't want to say prefer because it's not like they're.
Speaker 3: Holding it against The guy The. Arch of texas, the whole time.
Speaker 2: They're not Holding it against they're not holding, it against, Them You know Dante moore At Oregon. And drake may but at, the, Same time yeah i'll take all the extra data points of those guys being absolutely being at Multiple schools.
Speaker 3: Like nick sually stepped Up going From, auburn to, oregon You.
Speaker 2: Know and doug tweets And. Says that Chase He, loves Chase Mason The south dakota state guy that we. Were talking about he WAS A Former uh nebraska. Cornhusker basketball Player, according to doug he's got crazy Arm Angles, like aaron rodgers super quiss quick release, And Arm Strength go Jack Rabbits. And gohot steelers, and he said you're Right Home of Tucker craft. And, mason McCormick hey those are two pretty good Ones, That, HAVE hey doug i like we are gonna have to pay. Attention To Him and chase mason has found himself ADDED, to the uh to. The around campus second the names to to WATCH here FOR. Uh for UH matt and i GOING into the UH into the uh, college football. Season love it spit, it, Out. THERE you'll matt i did want to ask you this because this IS a conversation i think we've had with some of our friends at different watering holes in THE evening and uh maybe. Even OFF air but i feel like we've started to get this, question A lot and i don't know if we've talked about, it on air and as it relates to some of THIS this quarterback uh talk that we've been having Here. In this hour is there any scenario in your mind other than A Long term aaron rodgers injury where we have a, clear cut answer, a legitimate one not just people think They Know about Will Howard. Or drew aller and if you can avoid going back into the draft and trying to get a first, draft, NEXT year yes i think it'll. Be REALLY tough and i even that's.
Speaker 3: One of my biggest problems with, the whole Process with.
Speaker 2: The hour selection and some, people, will, say well yeah the other Way other than rogers getting Hurt is the steelers start three and seven and then they just give it to one of the young guys. FOR the rest i don't even think, that, Would happen right Mike McCarthy, and aaron rodgers in the respect they have, for that guy they're not going to bench him for the last two MONTHS of.
Speaker 3: His nfl career not a very rooney, thing, TO do either i mean, or, just, organizationally like oh we're just gonna put the guy we knows not as, Good out there like that's not what this. Team usually does that almost has to, be an injury and it have to shine to say we're just OUT of, the, QB market, right, i mean completely like we're.
Speaker 2: Just it has to be has to be more than one. Or. Two games yeah.
Speaker 3: Now if next Year's pick And aler and howard all turned out, to be good well that's a wonderful. Problem to have you could have a. Totally next, YEAR who, knows i mean next year we may. Our quarterback home this might just. Dominate our headlines it's a three way Competition, Tition between Aler Howard. And trinidad, chambliss all right and we'll see who comes to, who shows up and who's. Right or roll one of them's got two years, under his belt, one's got one. One's got zero and.
Speaker 2: You, know what matt not to, steal your thunder but you've outlined this well before a lot of organizations that have had success still drafting and developing good quarterbacks when they already have one. On The roster the packers like.
Speaker 3: The best Example packers.
Speaker 2: With Hasselback and Mark brunell correct breau Traded Him during brett farverra traded him both for, FIRST round, picks i believe or one for a first one For A second Patrios Brissett. And, jimmy, garoppol.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah been.
Speaker 2: Pretty High picks, the, EAGLES uh thro i Mean They traded sam bradford away for a first round draft pick after After Was it michael vick or whoever they had, at that time.
Speaker 3: Early pick when wentz was, playing really well.
Speaker 2: And Then they traded Wentz to the colts for was it a? First round pick? Second round pick whenever they turned whenever they turned Things Over. To, jalen hurts yeah. SO you can i think.
Speaker 3: Too many good quarterbacks.
Speaker 2: Isn't the problem it's not because you can get rid. Of those guys someone will always want one. Of those guys and it also has To Me thinking matt we've talked about this a few times over the the last. Year or so tanner McKee the one eagles quarterback that they all. Rave about it he could be a starter for twelve TEAMS. IN the nfl i think if other teams thought, that was True that the eagles would have dealt, him already, probably you know because we've seen a lot of that. In THE past, of i mean?
Speaker 3: Could he start is he better Than what? The, Browns have maybe but that Doesn't mean the browns want to give you a pick for him and say that's our answer and not go to. The well, again you.
Speaker 2: Know kind of hit your wagon.
Speaker 3: To that guy so Let's take the steelers, out of it because it's A conversation that i thought it was. A good one i Had today with peacock On The. Six pack show we were breaking down what we've been doing is we've been picking two teams PER day AND i and i write, like, six questions concerns bullet, points about him and We talked about arizona and we led the Show Off because carson beck was very productive and had a really good Showing in The hall. OF fame, game i Mean it's A hall, of fame game you know my. Opinion on that but during the course, of the conversation some teams you talk through them, and you're like maybe THEY'RE better, Than I think And i think arizona is. One of them but their schedule is horrendous and they still have the lowest over Underwind. TOTAL in vegas i mean there's only as, it stands now there's only two or three games on their schedule that they might be even a, FAVORITE or yeah i Mean It's. LIKE giant, saints i mean some of The. Real STRETCHES jets but i, Presented the, question i'm like We all think beck will probably Take over for brissett at some point when the. Season is, Lost who knows maybe they surprise us and they're this year's worse. The first team but, assuming they're.
Speaker 2: Terrible maybe even they just hang. Around, five hundred yeah.
Speaker 3: And They did. Give BRISSETT money But, I asked, peacock i'm Like let's say beck plays the last ten games and he plays exactly As Well as tyler shuck, did last year which would be, a nice. PICKUP you, know i mean it's a third round pick that looks LIKE a. Starting, nfl quarterback yeah that would be a Home run for Beck. And the cardinals that's getting way more return on your investment as a. Third round pick but would you still take a quarterback if you're picking first? OR second overall i think the answer.
Speaker 2: IS probably yees i think the answer is YOU know, What, i mean like.
Speaker 3: Even if it's like, best case scenario you're still. Taking the, quarterback you.
Speaker 2: KNOW there's also i mean there's also, A, situation too matt where you go back to the quarterback well in the first, round, next year right and then it's, it's That Guy, it's Will Howard, It's drew aller and maybe by the time you get, to that point you've Eliminated, One of Will. Howard and drew as.
Speaker 3: Chances of all three of them being, in a competition it's probably Like allur versus, chambliss or.
Speaker 2: Whoever you know, and you know maybe By that point mike McCarthy is He's Done the heath ledger joker thing and he's broken the key over his leg, and he said we're gonna have, Tryouts to Cool drew and will and one of. Them emerges victorious if there's a scenario, where that guy let's Let's say It's, drew or will develops and emerges and then goes and signs a nice contract and you get a third round comp pick back anyways, when, they, leave yeah, yeah you know like.
Speaker 3: There's somebody will make you an offer, for, Him too right there's.
Speaker 2: There's no doubt, AND SO again i i continue to really struggle to foresee a Scenario where the steeler aren't drafting a first round, quarterback Next YEAR although matt i will say.
Speaker 3: Or, strongly considering it or will try, to or, well yeah exactly maybe getting it. Done won't happen, BUT you know i.
Speaker 2: Guess the other thing that we should probably mention in this conversation before we close it DOWN is that i certainly wouldn't shut the door on the Possibility Of a baker Mayfield Or a dak prescott type being the next Quarterback of, the steelers either AS much as i wouldn't really be. Crazy About that although dak to a Lesser, EXTENT than baker.
Speaker 3: I Don't know. THAT dak's movable i looked into the. Contract back then he MAY win the, Mvp THIS year like i don't think they're moving. Away from. Him baker is there's probably four or five Names You could kyler murray's, a free agent, You know whatever and maybe you'd go down that road if you were Super, excited about aler but you thought he needed one more year. On the bench but then he becomes a starter in his third year and he's in a contract. Year almost, already you.
Speaker 2: Know, let's quick yeah it, happens, Real quick right and if you're someone, at that Point Like, a baker mayfield do you really want to sign somewhere for a pseudo. One, year deal again we're.
Speaker 3: Probably, Getting a brissette you're Not. Getting a mayfield.
Speaker 2: Trying to develop the guy behind you and see him as the. LONG term solution a lot to consider here as we roll along in the second hour. Of the drive we'll close down, this second hour get ready for. The bonus hour Be.
Speaker 3: Happy WITH mayfield either. I do, not i mean he'll make you, a GOOD team but i just don't think anybody wants to like have another veteran retreads. The wrong word, but you know because he's, a good player but.
Speaker 2: He But listen russell wilson Was a super Bowl champion With hall of. Fame Type credentials aaron Rodgers a super bowl CHAMPION and M vp With hall. Of fame credentials that's a Little Different. Than BAKER mayfield although I will say I think all steelers Fans would enjoy Baker versus the browns. Twice a year that would be box office at LEAST at least i would. Enjoy that personally and they could.
Speaker 3: Team with him it just. Isn't real exciting.
Speaker 2: It's hard to envision the ultimate ceiling where you're. You're certainly right they could. WIN some games a lot of teams that won Some Games. With baker mayfield let's get to our last segment of the. Second an hour, when we return keep those. Tweets rolling in you know we'll hit those. Around five o'clock you know where to get at us if you want. To Get Involved. Euler an Williamson, It's The Drive steelers nation Radio On The. Steelers audio network.
Speaker 1: This is live coverage of the Twenty twenty Six steelers training Camp Or The, steelers audio network Presented. By bud light, easy to drink, easy to enjoy and brought to you in part By Your neighborhood, Ford Store Creator Pittsburgh, Community Food Bank. First National Bank Let's GET Started Member Fdic west shore home Remodeling Reimagined, By Leecom Digital Don's appliance Visit dunsappliances dot com, guaranteed lowest prices free, NEXT Day, delivery cgr wholesale And By hass Is stake In Seahouse Haws is his hospitality.
Speaker 2: Closing down hour number Two of the drive Here. On This, monday and matt we have got some big news for a big Man In The, national. Football league Huh According to Adam Schefter and ian rappaport just across, the Timeline here the cowboys And Defensive lineman quinn williams have agreed to terms on a three year nearly one hundred and six million dollar extension to make him one of the highest paid defensive LINEMEN. In the nfl three year extension one hundred and five point nine million in new money that pays him a little over thirty five million, average per year one hundred and. One totally guaranteed that's the most guaranteed ever for a signing for a DEFENSIVE tackle. In nfl history.
Speaker 3: NOT super, surprising i mean you knew When they traded forum eventually they're gonna be. Tacking years on you're not just gonna random at the price that they paid, FOR tremendous player i would. Probably put him defensive tackle rankings are, tough RIGHT now but I probably put simmons. AHEAD of Them i think cam is probably still playing a. Little bit better.
Speaker 2: He's in that, tier, one THOUGH.
Speaker 3: Yeah, as i say but he's right there with basically, all those names and he's gonna be the foundation. Of that defense, So side note it sure seems like a lot of extensions this these this. Week OR two and i know every time every year around this time, is extension season but this shows how healthy. THE league, is i mean there's a lot of money, being thrown around and these teams aren't battling eyes and putting.
Speaker 2: HANDED IT out i i have told you, this MANY times like i put. My hand up i'm. Guilty of that you see some of these. Hear these numbers here's some of these numbers, that come out, and you're, like holy cow what? Is going on, BUT every well I Guess Not major league baseball because they, don't, Have, One RIGHT matt but i feel like you can say That. ABOUT every now i could do the same, thing in basketball do the same. Thing in hockey that guy got paid? How, much money yeah these leagues AND especially, the nfl especially these leagues are so, flushed with CASH and these tv, contracts are massive and the gate, revenue is massive and they.
Speaker 3: Call the sponsors they have now and.
Speaker 2: They Continue to add monday Night games and thursday Night games and Saturday games and wednesday game.
Speaker 3: Ahffiliation with, the GAMBLING sites, and i mean it's. All the above so you, have to.
Speaker 2: Yeah you're right you have to constantly be kind of Checking, yourself of.
Speaker 3: Yeah like when porter's contract comes then people, will be like, OH my god i can't believe the.
Speaker 2: Game that much he did It. With her big herbig was.
Speaker 3: The best example. He's a backup how can you give them that. Kind, of money yeah, it's, going great.
Speaker 2: Man, that's the, uh that's it and you know it's It, can be uh it can it could certainly be eye popping some. Of those numbers but this is a. Rapidly, growing league uh the salary cap is ballooning like crazy and uh and you got there's also a salary floor that people, always forget. Too you, know so yeah you got to spend, at least uh at. Least some money got to take care of Your. GUYS and dallas i, tell you what, if that defense if that, defense is adequate they could they could. BE in line, i, feel, like, yeah yeah again we always laugh at oh it's got. To be better it can't.
Speaker 3: Be any worse sometimes there's almost nowhere to.
Speaker 2: Go IT up and i think especially for their like you can Look at a bengals defense that we say that about and say they got better, here and there but there's still something. To be desired there still a Big. Problem That cowboys that cowboys defense feels like it's really addressed most of. THEIR significant issues i.
Speaker 3: TEND to agree i think they're a sleeper to not only, win their division but maybe be in The Contendent or super, bowl contention situation and BacT to just contracts. In the league these guys are teams just are not letting the players they want to hit, free agency anymore which if you need to spend, in free agency that's where more mistakes Are made than these. Are big, extensions you know.
Speaker 2: Keep keep your own guys in house there and not have to pay extra on. The open market always. Always good business that's two hours, in the books bonus hour to go. When we return on, the other side you guys know. What that means we will start hitting those tweets. When we return you know where to get at us if you want to Get Involved at Wesley YULER At, williamson, nfl, questions. Comments concerns reactions the time is yours to kick off. The bonus hour on, The Other, Side West, juler matt williamson it Is the Drive Hi atop chuck nolefield on The Campas Of. Saint vincent college all part of our ongoing. Training Camp Coverage steelers nation Radio On The steelers audio network