Speaker 1: A coalition representing the biggest private equity and hedge funds is suing the Securities and Exchange Commission oversweeping new rules. The rules will require private funds to detail quarterly fees and expenses to investors and to perform annual audits. Firms also will be prohibited from allowing some favorite investors to cash out more easily than others, unless those deals are offered to all fund investors. The coalition is asking the Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals to vacate the rules, saying they're arbitrary and capricious and an abuse of discretion. Joining me is securities law expert Robert him a partner at Tartarkrinsky and Drogan. It's a six hundred and sixty page rule. Tell us what it provides.
Speaker 2: The new rules that the SEC adopted were designed to really fundamentally change the way that the private fund industry is regulated in the United States. In its adopting release, the SEC site they did three basic concerns that it was trying to address, one of which was lack of transparency in fees and charges that private funds charged to investors. Another is conflicts of interest that the SEC was concerned about between the advisory companies and the asset managers that manage these funds and the investors themselves. And the third was a lack of governance at the private fund So in the SEC's adopting release, which is over six hundred pages, they set out some very substantive and extensive new rules that were designed to address these perceived shortcomings and problems in the private fund market.
Speaker 1: Bob, So is it because the size of the private funds market has grown so much They now hold more assets than commercial banks, and it's grown. According to SEC data, gross assets under management grew one hundred and seventy one percent from twenty twelve to twenty twenty two.
Speaker 2: Yes, the rapid growth in the private funds market has been one of the facts that the SEC has cited for justification of its new rules. Right now, according to the SEC, there's over twenty six trillion dollars in assets under management in private funds, and the SEC used that as one of its basis for the concerns that it's expressed and the reason for these new extensive regulations.
Speaker 1: This was adopted in a three to two vote along party lines.
Speaker 2: Yes, it's right. These new rules are very controversial, both in the private fund industry as well as at the Commission itself. At the time when the rules were proposed and set for a vote at the Commission, it was passed on a three to two vote, with two commissioners dissenting and one of the commissioner's Commissioner Pierce, wrote a very singing descent from the rules, saying that they were ill conceived and that they were going to impose a lot of costly burdens on the industry, and also criticizing the majority of commissioners because in her view, the rules really were not justified. Commissioner Pierce also cited the statistic of over twenty six trillion in AUM in the industry and said that in fact, that shows that the market is very successful. The investors that invest in private funds are very sophisticated institutional investors. They're advised by the world's top law firms, and if there really was a problem in this market, it's really hard to explain why the private fund market would be growing so rapidly, and investors have been enjoying significant returns and profits on their investment, which these rules will cut into as a result of the high cost of implementation.
Speaker 1: These rules are watered down right from what the SEC originally wanted.
Speaker 2: Yes, in the proposing release that came out several months ago, the SEC had originally proposed even more stringent rules and stringent pro ambitions. And due to the backlash and the comments that were submitted by investors and industry participants, the SEC changed and when watered down some of these rules. But the final rules were still you know, quite strong. And I think you know what's concerned Commissioner Pierce and others in the industry, is that really the argument here is that the SEC overstepped its statutory authority. You know, it's justification for adopting these new rules was based on a provision that's the general anti fraud provision in the Advisor's Act Statute, as well as a provision, a short provision in dot frank that was really geared towards the retail investors and regulating retail oriented investment funds. And the biggest complaint of the industry they've gone to court to challenge these rules is that the rules prohibit outright prohibit a lot of activities and contractual terms that are very commonplace. You know, an example of that is certain large investors get preferred information rights, they can negotiate certain provisions with advisors that would allow them to withdraw their funds in a shorter lock up period than other investors. And that's just a fundamental characteristic of the private funds market that you can have these customized terms. But the SEC said essentially that that can no longer happen. You can't have negotiated terms like that.
Speaker 1: Lead plaintiffs attorney Eugene Scalia wrote in the lawsuit quote, the rules exceed the Commission's statutory authority, were adopted without compliance with notice and comment requirements, and are otherwise arbitrary, capricious, and abusive discretion and contrary to law. You got everything in there. Did they not have notice and comment on these?
Speaker 2: Well, they actually did have notice in comment and it was quite quite a long and detailed notice in common procedure. What the industry is complaining about in that particular section is that the final rules that were adopted by the SEC are so different than what was originally proposed. Is that, in effect that the notice in common period was not sufficient, and they're arguing in the industry that once the Commission changed the rules to such a great extent they should have undergone another notice in common period so that the industry and others could comment on these new proposed rules and hopefully convince the SEC to roll them back even further.
Speaker 1: Drew Maloney, chief executive the American Investment Council, to all the Wall Street Journal that the rules will discourage competition, harm investors, reduce returns, stifle innovation, and impose costly burdens on funds of all sizes. Do you agree with any of that?
Speaker 2: Well, I do. I think that there's no question that the rules themselves are going to be quite costly. Even in the adopting release, it's acknowledged by the SEC that it's going to cost billions of dollars industry wide to comply with the rule. In the argument is that this really falls most heavily on the small advisors or new advisors that want to come into the space, and essentially the costs associated with compliance is going to be prohibitive. But I think, you know, one of the main points of the industry too, is that it really questions the role of the SEC in the sense that for years, the industry, which is made up of these institutional investors that are very sophisticated and private fund managers have been going along fine in terms of negotiating contract provisions that were customized to their own individual and situations that were structured in that in that way, and the SEC has now stepped into the picture and said, you know, no, no, you know, we know better as the SEC what contractual terms should be in place, and the contractual terms that you've been negotiating all along though, those are no longer going to be permitted because you know, we have decided to fundamentally change the way this market is regulated. And the industry is saying that the SEC has no statutory authority from Congress to step in and make that unilateral determination.
Speaker 1: SEC chair Gary Gansler said he feels very confident in the agency's conclusion that it does have the power to implement the rules. What's your take on it. Does it have the power?
Speaker 2: I think that's going to be a tough argument for the SEC. The industry challenged the rules in the Fifth Circuit, which historically has been somewhat hostile to the SEC's expansive claims of regulatory authority. So the industry, you know, made a smart decision in terms of the forum that they've decided to challenge these rules, and in the adopting release, the SEC really just pointed to some very general provisions, you know, the anti fraud provision is one basis, and another provisions that related to requiring the SEC to provide enhanced rulemaking so that advisors would have to be clear about the terms and conditions of their relationship with investors, which was contained in the retail regulation section of DoD Frank And traditionally, federal courts in the last several years have been hostile not only to the SEC, but to other agencies who claim these broad ranging powers to regulate industries that in a lot of respects are hard hard to tie into the congressional grants of authority that have been made to the agencies.
Speaker 1: Coming up next, I'll continue this conversation with Robert him and we'll talk more about why this suit was filed at the Fifth Circuit. Lawsuits challenging the SEC rules are filed directly to appeals court, so they skipped the lower district court and they went to the Fifth Circuit, as you mentioned, which is the go to venue for conservatives and business groups challenging regulatory authority and ranging from the abortion pill, which is still in litigation the SEC's in house courts.
Speaker 2: Yes, that's correct. You know, the Fifth Circuit in particular has been very open to constitutional based arguments from business groups and private parties to really look at what agencies are doing to make sure that it's it's constrained within their statutory authority. And this is really a fundamental principle in the Constitution in terms of you know, in the democracy are elected representatives in Congress are supposed to make laws that people can vote on, and then there's a narrow delegation to agencies to implement those laws. But here, for example, with the SEC's regulation of the industry, and these new rules really didn't go through a democratic process. It was just something that the agency decided, you know, in their view, needed to be done and impose these rules. And then that's the argument from the industry. We're We're going to have to see if the judges in the Fifth Circuit accept that, and that's going to be their decision as to whether or not these SEC rules come within the statutory authority. And the Investment Advisors Act to allow the SEC to implement these sort of changes and rules.
Speaker 1: It's been sort of a regulatory blitz by SEC Chair Gary Gensler that we've talked about before. Is this just one step too far?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think that that's part of the analysis. One of the concerns that Commissioner Peerce had that the industry has as well, is that when the SEC conducts its statutorily require cost benefit analysis of the new rules, they look at each rule one by one and they say, what's the cost and the benefits of this particular rule on the industry. But the point that the industry is making is that that's not always the best way to look at this, because the SEC has been engaged in a lot of new rule making. It seems like every week there's a new rule that comes out, and the industry is saying that it's not sufficient just to look one by one.
Speaker 3: Really have to look at the.
Speaker 2: Whole basket of rules that the SEC is coming out with in lots of different areas, when you look at this sort of costs that are being imposed on the private sector and whether the rules are really going to provide the investor protection benefits that the SEC claims that they are working towards.
Speaker 1: Are these cases different in that this is a really wealthy and powerful industry that the SEC is going up against.
Speaker 2: Well, it does make a difference in a sense that the challenge to these rules is certainly a well funded effort. The lead lawyer Jean Scalia, who's the son of Justice Scalia, the lead Justice Scalia, is probably the top lawyer that the industry is used to challenge various regulations, not just at the SEC, but at the EPA as well on the argument that the rules exceed statutory grants of authority. But I think it's also a more fundamental point. The industry is arguing that Congress deliberately set up a two part regulatory system. One is mutual funds, which are regulated under the Investment Company Act, which has extensive disclosures and substantive rules that are appropriately in place to protect private retail investors. And Congress made a conscious decision to not impose that extensive regulatory regime on private funds which are opened only to a very high net worth investors and institutional investors. And Congress basically left it up to the parties in that scenario to negotiate contractual arrangements regarding fees regarding investment objectives and what duties the advisor owes and what the SEC has done with these rules is blur the distinction between those two regulatory regimes and is really importing these extensive regulations from the mutual fund space onto the private fund space. And a lot of respect, if there's.
Speaker 1: An adverse ruling to the SEC, does that have implications for other areas the SEC is regulating.
Speaker 2: It won't have a direct implication for other rules that the SEC is making, but in a certain sense, it really from a practical perspective, makes the agency sit up and take notice, to really understand that courts are going to be scrutinizing their claims of statutory authority and perhaps gives the SEC more reason to pause it's rulemaking and not be so aggressive in the future with regards to the type of rules and changes that it imposes on the industry.
Speaker 1: Bob was the SEC sort of prepared for this lawsuit?
Speaker 2: The SEC really understood that they were going to have a challenge of these rules in court, and the adopting release has quite an extensive discussion by the SEC as to what its claims of statutory authority are. In addition to going through the two satchatory provisions, and the adopting release, the SEC goes to great lengths to really try to explain that it's not really just institutional investors that are at stake here. The adopting release talks about that it's it's pension funds and endowments, and indirectly those pensions are made up of civil service workers, environment police officials, teachers, community activists, and the SEC goes through a whole description in their adopting release as to how these everyday types of people are impacted by the private fund industry and the types of rules and regulations that are imposed on it. So, you know, the SEC knew that this challenge was coming. They've done, you know, everything they can to prepare for it. So it's going to be a very interesting when the court addresses this. The parties have proposed a timeframe that would allow the Fifth Circuit to issue ruling by May twenty twenty four, which is several months before a lot of the final deadline for when these rules have to go in effect.
Speaker 1: So a long road ahead, Thanks so much, Bob. That's Robert him of Tartarkrinsky and Drogen. Coming up next on the Bloomberg law show class action lawsuits against pharmaceutical companies and retailers over ineffective decongestants. We're approaching cold and flu season, and the Food and Drug Administration has said the leading over the counter decongestion used by millions of Americans looking for relief from a stuffy nose is no more effective than a placebo. Advisors to the FDA voted unanimously last week against the effectiveness of the key drug found in popular versions of sudafed, day quill and other medications stocked on store shelves.
Speaker 4: This ingredient panel affron is in so many different cold medicines. That's why it is important to kind of educate yourself on what to look for and just avoid that ingredient.
Speaker 1: Doctor Purvy Perik, an allergist at NYU Langone Health, recommends reading the labels of these products and choosing something else instead. It didn't take long after the FDA's announcement for several class action lawsuits to be filed against pharmaceutical companies and retailers. My guest is healthcare attorney Harry Nelson of Nelson Hardiman Harry first tell us about this board of advisors and what they decided.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was an FDA advisory panel that finally came out with a statement that people studying funnelf've been talking about for a while, which is that it is not better than placebo. That essentially it's ineffective when taken orally. It does not actually function as a decongestine, and little of the drug actually reaches the nose to be a decongestine. It's effective when it's used in a nasal pray directly to the nose. But the problem is that we sell billions of dollars of these different decongestin drugs where people take it orally and it has absolutely no effect, was completely broken down in the stomach.
Speaker 1: So you mentioned this, But there have been decades of studies and questions and documentation and clinical trial results. Why did it take so long for them to come to this conclusion.
Speaker 3: It's a good question. It's kind of an indictment, honestly, of the FDA's ability to do serious review. There were studies being put forward and petitions made to re examine it. But when you go back and look at what was happening, you know, for the last twenty plus years, it's been a process of rubber stamping and ignoring what's been said. It was a glacial pace, and it took an enormous amount of time for peer review studies to actually be given the attention they deserve. So it's kind of an indictment of the FDA process, you know that it took this long to see something that was quite obvious to people who were studying it.
Speaker 1: And the decision is confusing to consumers because shouldn't ineffective drugs be taken off the market and replaced? But here they're saying, no, you don't need to throw away these products.
Speaker 3: No one is saying these products are dangerous or the penalleffern causes harm. They're just saying it's ineffective. It's not better than placebo. So there's no danger associated with using these products. They're probably just not the best choices to use. You need an effective decongestion.
Speaker 1: This is just an advisory opinion. The FDA doesn't have to go along with it. And now what happens, They're going to allow the public to comment. What good does public comment do on an issue like this? I don't get that.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Also, it's a fair question. It's not at all clear what public comment is going to add to the conversation here. It just seems like they're still continuing to go slower than you would hope. Once we've kind of finally come to this public realization that there's a drug that's not working on the market and people are spending a lot of money on it, what does the.
Speaker 1: FDA have to do now in addition to you know, we mentioned the public comments, but what has to happen next.
Speaker 3: The next step is actually formal. This was just an advisory chanel, but the FDA has to formally review the status of the drug and presumably revoke its approoved status or narrow its approved status, because again, the drug is useful when applied directly, for example, like through a nasal spray, but at least orally to revoke the approval of the drugs.
Speaker 1: How unusual is it that class action lawsuits were filed within days of the FDA's announcement.
Speaker 3: So, I mean it's almost reflective, right, There are plaint of law firms around the countries that are basically built to take on harm related to different drugs, and so soon as the FDA said the drug was ineffective, it's not a surprise that we saw the first class action filed down in Florida. I'm sure we're going to see more. The real question is, other than the harm to people's wallets from spending one point seventy five billion on the drug, what actual harm? You know, whether there were any side effects that actually hurt anybody from Fenel effronts. There are a lot of reports of like minor problems like swelling or interration and itching, but I'm not aware of any severe harm, and it's not clear what kind of damages they are going to be beyond just the fact that these companies were selling an ineffector drug.
Speaker 1: Some of the complaints charged that the defendants violated consumer protection statutes and alleged a breach of implied warranty of merchant ability and they committed fraud, stating the defendants intentionally and knowingly falsely concealed, suppressed, and or admitted material facts, including us to the standard, quality or grade of the products they marketed and sold. But if the FDA approved this, what were the manufacturers supposed to do? Say no, the FDA is wrong.
Speaker 3: You know, there's been a lot of industry studies going on, so we know that, for example, competitors of some of the fenleft and products, like the folks that sharing plout who were making Clereson were doing a lot of research to show that and arguing that these drugs were ineffective. It's an interesting question whether internally whether the manu were doing their own research and had reason to know that these drugs were not effective, and whether they turned a blind eye to it. I think it's an interesting question, and hopefully we'll learn about some of the internal process within the pharmaceuticals and how much they were aware of this and taking it seriously and concerned about it. But you know, I think that still remains ahead of us.
Speaker 1: You know, you mentioned harm to consumers and that there's probably very little of that, so it would be limited to economic damages, right, I mean, how would they determine economic damages to consumers from this?
Speaker 3: I think what's likely to happen. I mean, I don't mean to sound cynical, but when this case gets prosecuted, what's likely to happen is that the lawyers who brought these cases will have a multimillion dollar pay day and attorneys fees, and they'll be coupons, you know, for people who can prove that they bought the drugs, but those coupons will be for insignificant amounts. The big winners in this class accent are likely to be the lawyers who get tens of millions of dollars for filing it.
Speaker 1: As an example, Johnson and Johnson's consumer unit settle claims alleging aerosol products contained benzene for one point seventy five million dollars plus two point five million in attorneys fees, So more an attorney's fees than in the settlement for consumers.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So a lot of people, and including me, think it is a defect in our class action systems that, you know, the plane of class action lawyers are motivated to bring cases that really don't do much to advance the public interest, but to produce profitable work for them. Kind of a sort of bug in our class action system that anytime there's a drug, even if the harm to the public is really miniscule, the plane of class action lawyers have a big opportunity.
Speaker 1: Are those kinds of suits mostly settled? Do any of them ever go to trial?
Speaker 3: This is certainly not a case that's going to trial. This is clearly you know, if there were big damages and significant amounts that would be at risk, Like if the harm caused by a final effort was so significant, then there would be something to fight over and a lot at stakes. But you know, the money that the drug companies are likely to pay for this is going to be something like a rounding error for them. This is not going to be one of those multi billion dollar settlements. You know, it's likely that the plans class ection layers will kind of have a get in quick, you know, reach the settlements, and the drug companies will be offered numbers that will motivate them to do so. I think it's a pretty safe bet that we're never going to see a trial on the marketing of fenel efern. Does the FDA.
Speaker 1: Give the drug manufacturers time to put new products on the shelves or don't they take that into consideration.
Speaker 3: The first decision is whether to actually revoke the marketing approval for it. But if the FDA imposes a recall, the recall is focused on exclusively on the public health issues and not on whether these drug companies have time to find alternatives. That's really the drug companies problems. I'm sure that the folks at all the companies that we're selling sele An Efferns are you know, already working hard on that. But the really interesting question here is whether the fact that the drug is ineffective, though not seemingly dangerous, is going to provoke an actual recall or alternatively, whether presumably its sales will decline. The drug companies will obviously stop marketing it because you know, now that the FDA has come out with this, it's a much higher risk for them to engage in any marketing suggesting that it has positive benefit, and whether we'll just fade away from the shelves of our drug stores sort of more naturally.
Speaker 1: I sort of assume that the FGA, in light of this, would take these off the shelves at some point, since the best you can say is they're ineffective.
Speaker 3: Honestly, I think the reason that tenneleffernd became popular in the first place was because of problems associated with a different decontestant that is effective, which is a related drug category called pseudofhedriant. You know, more than fifteen years ago we started seeing that metam fetamine dealers or manufacturers were using due to Fedrian to make illegal drugs and so so that led to the popularity of penalleffern as an alternative. So I think now it's kind of back to the drawing board of actually figuring out what are going to be you know, effective decongestion, And it's going to be interesting to see what the impact on pseudofedrian access is, given that it is a ineffective the congestion, but also a drug that is at risk of a view. That's a part of the story that we haven't really been talking about yet. But I think it is clear that part of the rise of seneffrine was about the problems associated with pseudophedrin. So it's going to be interesting to see what medications are the winners after senal eleftferm phades from the market.
Speaker 1: Thanks so much, Harry. That's healthcare attorney Harry Nelson of Nelson Hardiman