Speaker 1: I think our relationship to lostness and making peace with the fact that it kind of comes up a lot. We tend to act like it's like the big bad Boogeyman and will it come?
Speaker 2: Will it not?
Speaker 1: It will be here, you will be lost, it will happen. That is a part of the human experience.
Speaker 3: Clear Way is.
Speaker 4: A New York Times bestselling author and poet. Her work explores hope, resilience, and the power of love. Her books include Heart Talk, Where to Begin, May You Love and Be Loved, and Remember Love.
Speaker 1: We don't have to listen to the shadows just because we can hear them. Every moment you feel that the decisions or the voice in your head is someone else's voice, you do have this ability to reclaim it and say, like, is this what I want? Your life is your greatest gift and responsibility. Yeah, And so in that there is this relationship, a constant reclamation is this what I want?
Speaker 2: I think? Is this what I need?
Speaker 4: I'm Radi Wukiah and on my podcast A Really Good Cry, we embrace the messy and the beautiful, providing a space for raw and fielded conversations that celebrate vulnerability and allow you to tune in to learn, connect and find comfort together.
Speaker 2: Thank you for.
Speaker 3: Being here, my gosh, thank you for having me so excited.
Speaker 4: Honestly, I have to I'm such a huge fan of yours. You have changed so much of my life just by reading your one book, and I can't wait to read so many more of yours. But it has given me. I feel like your books give words to people when they feel like they can't express it themselves. I feel like I've understood myself so much more through reading it. I've noticed things about myself that I didn't even know existed within me, and I just think it's so beautiful how you share yourself with other people in order for them to also feel like they can accept and understand themselves better. So I just want to say thank you so much. I'm so honored to have you, thank you.
Speaker 1: Thank you so much, and thank you for reading it. You were one of my early readers of the book, So thank you.
Speaker 3: It's incredible, it really is.
Speaker 4: And I wanted to ask you because obviously, like you said, you've done so many things in your life, but you've got this beautiful way of expressing yourself, and I think this day and age, people find it quite difficult to express themselves through words, especially me. I can talk for only myself, but I express myself through crying or through emotion release in that way.
Speaker 3: What do you think and how do.
Speaker 4: You think people find it difficult to actually use words to express themselves, Like how can people go about being better at that? And what do you think stops people from doing that? Well?
Speaker 1: One thing I think is really important, and I say that whether you feel that you're a writer or you're not a writer, I think it's important to write down what is going on. Yeah, because when you start to write, you inherently have like an inventory of what's going on inside of your body, and you're really able to sit and see the stories you tell yourself and see where you're maybe disrupting the stories by trying to kind of bribe yourself out of a feeling or think that you don't deserve a thing, or think that you're not worthy of this or that or whatever, or diminishing something that is reoccurring in your psyche or in your heart, and you can see that you're trying not to think of it. And so I think what goes on in our bodies is often a swirling conversation around the stories we tell ourselves. And if you can put the story on a page, you can at least quiet the conversation, which is usually judgment, irrational ideas around the story and around the narrative and around what's happening. And so I think the more you anyone has a practice of writing it for no other reason but to release, but to identify, but to get to know themselves better and better, which is so important, I think that probably makes it easier to be expressive in conversation. Maybe they'll be there could be more flow. But I think also it's great that we're all different, and it's great that some of us are. You know, for every talker, they need a listener. And I think it's important to say to know if you're someone who can express themselves in a really big way, and that's that's great for you, or if you need a really cozy nest, or you need just two people, and I think it's okay too. It's more important to identify where and how you can express yourself than if you can. You always can, but you you just might need to stop or you know, we just need to stop judging ourselves for not being expressive in the ways other people are expressive. So you know, I feel like for every person I know who says like, I'm not great with expressing myself, I was like, well, probably to me then, or to a crowd or to a stranger, but you're probably very good at expressing yourself to your partner or your husband, or your best friend or the one or two people you'd get really connected to, and that's enough.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And I feel like, I mean, I love what you said about journaling. I've had it on and off relationship with it. More so because I think when you do end up putting pen to paper, it becomes this one. I would have a filter up first, because you're so used to other people seeing everything that you do now right, And then to push through that filter one It obviously takes practice, but to push through that filter that other people the lens that other people are seeing you with, to then actually see you.
Speaker 3: Sometimes it can be really scary.
Speaker 4: And so I notice myself where it gets to points in my life where I'm kind of trying to subdue something or not really want don't want to actually acknowledge it. I will avoid putting pen to paper because it's almost too scary to even put it into words. And I think sometimes that's why words can be harder than getting angry or crying, because you don't have to necessarily be as honest with yourself, but I do. I have started seeing the importance of using words, even with all the other tools of emotion release. But words I think are necessary for communication between people, for people to be able to understand you, because regardless of whether people will know you're upset if you're crying, but will they know how they can help you? Will they know exactly what's happening in your heart, And really it's the only way that we can help someone, help us, but also help to Really, I think there's a words of the way that we kind of hide from and everything else I think from I can talk for only myself, but has been a way to escape the words and be able to at least just release a little bit out.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and most of the time we're probably not of the anxiety we have around speaking up or saying something is not in the actual words, but what happens after Yeah. My brother always says the best and the worst thing about the truth is it gets instant results, and so a lot of times, you know, the conversations we're avoiding are really the results of the truth.
Speaker 2: We have to share.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's not so much that you had to say those ten words and make a sentence. It's that those ten words to say the sentence are do you want to commit.
Speaker 2: To me or not? Or do you know what I mean? And I think that's hard.
Speaker 3: It's the vulnerability of it.
Speaker 4: I think when you end up sharing words with someone, it's easy to kind of hide behind an external you know, you can be very poised and you can feel really confident. But as soon as and I noticed that with my friends in relationships or that are dating, it's like I don't want to tell him I like him, Like I don't want to use the words I've already shown him. I've showed up every single day, I've.
Speaker 3: Sent him messages.
Speaker 4: But actually saying those words it almost it's a full version of you letting your guard down, and that can often be really scary.
Speaker 1: I mean, there's movies and TV shows and so much of our culture that is just around whether or not you can say the words I love you, or the struggle to say the words I'm sorry, but those words are shorthand for an entire experience of hope that you have for a relationship with somebody. Right, So if you say I'm sorry, you know, I'm sorry, it's really shorthand for I see you and I recognize my own imperfections in.
Speaker 2: How we are in community.
Speaker 1: I love you is shorthand for I hope you'll hold my heart with respect and not break it.
Speaker 2: And that's scary.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you're so right.
Speaker 4: Within those small words or the two words that you say, there can either be no emphasis or no meaning behind it, or there can be so much emphasis and meaning behind it.
Speaker 2: Well, that's why.
Speaker 1: And when there is that, I think those are the ones that are hard to say. I don't think it's hard for anyone to say, you know, oh yes, can I have phrase with that? Yeah?
Speaker 3: Exactly, exactly.
Speaker 4: I love how you talk about the difference between fear based decisions or fear based living and then making grounding choices like you use that in your book that you've written. How would you say you can identify these fear based decisions, like how can you reflect on yourself and recognize that you are living from a place of fear? Because I always find for me often can end up being on autopilot, where if you've been living in that state for a long time, that can end up being your normality. It's like you don't know what can be without experiencing it, and so your normality could be living from a place of fear. You've just settled into it. So what would you say are good ways to recognize that you're living from a place of fear.
Speaker 1: I think anything you can do that helps you to be more as embodied as possible. So when you pause, when you create space to breathe, when you create space to kind of notice your heart rate, or notice how your head is feeling, or notice where your shoulders are, you can really see how the body wants to let you know that there's anxiety or fear moving through it. And I think that if you feel those things, like if you feel you know, your stomach doesn't feel easy, or your heart is racing, or your shoulders are a peer, fear is not something that is comfortable in our bodies. So if you do you any type of exercise for embodiment to kind of sink in and like check in with yourself, you'll usually find fear because it's it's not really something I feel that is that feels at home in us and so it you can find that disruption.
Speaker 4: I think, yeah, I agree, I think with the especially, your physical body is just a manifestation of what's happening inside. And as soon as you notice, like for me, it's my breath when i'm when I'm a mode of fear and i'm and i'm you know, functioning from that point of view. I noticed my breath stays here like it's fully, it's shallow, it doesn't go beyond my chest.
Speaker 1: Or I'm just not breathing at all, Like you're just like and you're like, wow, I haven't taken a breath all day.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And I mean for so many people, fear and whether it's fear or anxiety, both have similar symptoms of.
Speaker 3: Your physical body. Either.
Speaker 4: I know, I know friends who go into rashes. They'll lose their hair from it. You know, your physical body tells you a lot and it will keep screaming at you until you really listen.
Speaker 2: And anxiety is fear. Anxiety is a symptom of fear. Definitely.
Speaker 1: Anxiety is the kind of mind's way of saying, you know.
Speaker 2: Be alert, be alert, be alert, be alert, be alert.
Speaker 1: Something something is not something's going to happen, and that's an and in that there has there there is an underlying belief system that things don't end up okay. And when we live in a world where there's so much not okayness, it is very difficult to not succumb to that mindset.
Speaker 2: And is it is a fight for peace of mind. It really is.
Speaker 1: You have to have thirty different ways to have some type of defense against anxiety, in some type of way to grab on to peace and whatever that is, whether that's by having certain friends or that you just feel that helps soothe you, or noticing your own sensitivities. I mean, you might just be going through like you know, we were talking earlier about if you take a red act and then you have to come back and you're really exhausted and you're really overtired, there might be certain things you just have to cancel the next day because you're trying to hold onto peace. And so you might say, like, you know what, I was supposed to have this work dinner with somebody who requires a lot of my energy, and I don't have the energy for that, and so can I give myself care in this moment? Can I walk towards a sense of peace instead of a sense of anxiety and cancel that you know and have that kind of high integrity moment. Yes, And I think a lot of anxiety, yes, is so much of it as our genetic set.
Speaker 2: Points, depending on what you're you know kind of mental health world is like. And there's a lot that.
Speaker 1: We do where we really feed anxiety. And I think if we consider the ways that we feed anxiety as a way that we are embracing fear, we'd want more to change those habits really allow anxiety to fish.
Speaker 4: Yeah, because I think there's one part, which is our internal anxiety. But what we often forget is that a lot of our external world is, like you said, feeding into that. So, yes, you may have an element of it already in tending. There may be a lot of things too worry about. But then how are you sleeping? What are you feeding your mind? What are pouring through into your senses? And I've been thinking about that a lot, actually, because I go through bouts of watching reality TV, and I do notice so much. I stopped watching scary things or anything that makes me feel scared for the past eight or nine years, and it made a huge difference to my day to day anxiety. But randomly I'd get recommended a show and I'd start watching it, and the level of consciousness of what I'm watching feeds into my daily activities, and I will wake up with anxiety when I've been watching something that's been super high stress or where people in the show are really anxious. And so what you allow into your senses and every single sense, at every single moment. And in Sanskrit there's a word called some scars, and I love that word. It means footprints, but it says that everything that you allow into your ears, even the sense your eyes, you know, through every part of you, leaves little footprints, some bigger than others, and those footprints are then almost molding how you are then shifting through the day. And for a long time I stopped specific types of music, like I went through a phase where I was really trying to see what a difference it made, and so I stopped listening to any kind of aggressive music. I wouldn't watch any TV that was that stimulated me in that way. I would there was, I had curated it, and I honestly can say I felt so much peace during that time.
Speaker 3: Slowly things started seeping back.
Speaker 4: In yeah, but it really does make a difference, and so a lot of anxiety could actually be prevented, or our fear can be prevented just by changing so much externally.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And you know, I have this conversation in my household a lot, which is that you know, everything that's big is always ten or twenty different things, and so you don't have to think about the one big solution for the big thing. You can just kind of tackle it from the thirty different ways. So it just might be the movies. I'm the same. I don't watch anything that's stressful ever, like I just And it's really interesting because I remember a few years ago, I think I was having like eggshimmer or something, and so I had seen this doctor who was was like, I'd put me on some type of anti inflammatory thing. And I'm from Louisiana, so it was the first time in my life someone was.
Speaker 2: Like, you can't have hot sauce.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, And I was like, whoa what, because like I'd never like obviously, like a hot hot pepper is very inflammatory. And so I didn't have hot sauce for like a year or something like that. And what's really interesting is and when you have it again. It is like feels like the spiciest thing on earth because you actually have desensitized your palate if you have put hot sauce in every thing for so long.
Speaker 2: And so what's really interesting.
Speaker 1: About a media diet if you will this idea that if you have removed certain things, they are almost twice as glaring or make you feel twice as much if you start to incorporate them again. So you feel real stress or anxiety by having the stressful kind of anxious character or thing on or you know. I remember during during COVID, I was like I couldn't watch anything where like the world was ending.
Speaker 4: Yes, you know, I was like, ah, but those of the movies that were trending on Netflix at the time, I.
Speaker 2: Was like, what is happening? What is like wrong with us?
Speaker 4: Can we not like all the movies that were recommended or that people were watching were all end of the world movies.
Speaker 1: I was like, what is like what are we doing right now? This cannot be helpful? Like no, you know, I don't know what is or isn't healthy for someone else, but like I feel pretty sure I could identify something as helpful.
Speaker 2: And I was like, there's just no.
Speaker 1: Way that like movies that are just seeped in doom can could possibly help us right now.
Speaker 4: No, And I think we're kind of unaware and desensitized to it because it's become so normal to watch things like that. My friend was telling me they're part of Netflix and they're saying the stuff that's actually being bought is the dark, the gloomy, the scary, the intense, and it's almost feeding into people's fears. But for some reason, if you're and I think it is the concept of if you're living in fear, it feels comforting to watch fear too. But you're right, I think taking that time away from it will help to.
Speaker 2: The opposite.
Speaker 1: I think I'm like literally one step away from being one of those people who watches like the Christmas ham all around.
Speaker 2: I'm like, I'm this Plus.
Speaker 3: I was like, I'm getting to that time of year there. Yeah, what are your favorite things?
Speaker 4: I mean, I would love to hear from you, Like, what do you do on a daily basis to help with those the fear levels, your mood, your energy levels, what are your kind of not non negotiables, but the things you found that have really helped you.
Speaker 1: I think looking at any way of feeling good with as much flexibility as you can possibly have without it veering towards a space of non discipline is really helpful. So I think this idea that you know, I know so many people who are struggle to meditate until they loosen up their idea of what meditating is. Perhaps you can't sit on the pillow for the twenty two minutes, or you or the TM mantra doesn't work well for you, or the whatever.
Speaker 2: But have you.
Speaker 1: Tried a seven minute meditation in the bathtub and you keep your eyes open and you don't and you don't try to think you're meditating in a right or wrong way, or have you decided that, Okay, I'm going to go I do this every day, go on.
Speaker 2: A walk in the canyon.
Speaker 1: That I live in, and I am not on my phone, and I just and I make it a walk of noticing, and I just noticed things around me.
Speaker 2: And so I just noticed, oh, that tree.
Speaker 1: Looks different than it did the other day, or oh I never noticed that that that house has.
Speaker 2: A flower hail in the front, or you know.
Speaker 1: And I think this idea that we practice noticing, especially the natural world around us, because that is where we belong and there so this idea that we are almost giving this daily uh seeing and respect of you know, the space in which we belong is I think really helpful, and because it also helps us to feel big and small at the same time, which I think is always the most helpful kind of I think hadspace to be in where you're like, yes, it's all important, and you know, what I feel is big and I'm small and a part of something big, and in that I'm never alone, and in that I always have some place to call home. And so I think me, I definitely like my walks, and I like to just truly have that flexibility where sometimes the best thing you can do for yourself is call a friend that you just really want to catch up with, or you know that hearing their voice is going to make you feel better. And I think about following and moving towards what feels good and not being afraid to walk away from things that don't you know.
Speaker 2: I think so much.
Speaker 1: Of the suffering we have or because we have relationships we don't want to be in or they're not in the right they're not the right dynamic, but we feel we have to because of history or because of whatever, or you could have one day where you were feeling really high energy, so you commit to a lot of things.
Speaker 2: That you actually don't want to do.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And so I think actually having the like self integrity to I always say this that there's no such thing as a hell maybe.
Speaker 2: So it's like is it a no or is it a yes?
Speaker 1: And if it's in the maybe, then it's then it's that's just not a real thing. Is just this kind of purgatory we're in all the time. If you are like, oh, should I go should I not go?
Speaker 4: On?
Speaker 1: I'm like, if you're asking yourself that, then like you have just you have decided that the only way you're going to move through this is in a space of anxiety instead of just doing the thing where you're like, yes, I might let someone down, but if I need to do this for myself, I need to do this for myself, and.
Speaker 2: You hope the people who love you can respect that.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: No, I mean I'm definitely a culprit of that. I'm in the maybe state way too much. But I also loved what you said about how you know, I think wellness and every part of our life, whether it's the way that you should look the way that you should act.
Speaker 3: Everything ends up.
Speaker 4: You think you have to be so uniform with everyone else because you jump on a trend or there's everyone ends up trying to do the same thing. But actually, when you think about your own practices, and which is why I love ioveada so much, because it's such an individual thing.
Speaker 3: Everything from your.
Speaker 4: Health to what you have to do for your mind, to your body, to the food that you eat, it's so individual. And I think meditation practices, and even if you're living with someone like for me and Jay, our meditation practices also look different. I wake up a little bit earlier than he does naturally, and he will walk about sometimes and he'll meditate, and I like sitting in one place. You know, we have so many different ways of doing it, but we can end up judging ourselves based on what we see other people doing.
Speaker 3: And then you have this deep.
Speaker 4: Expectation of oh, I didn't feel that when I was meditating, or I didn't feel that when I went on the walk, I didn't care about the flowers.
Speaker 3: But that's also okay.
Speaker 4: And I think there's also this element of consistency where I feel that there's this pressure of Oh, I've done this thing for thirty days, and you know that I can feel accomplished by But sometimes I'll show up to my practice and I will be there physically but not their mentally. And I've done that so many times. But what that has done for me is shown that I can commit to something and it keeps that ball rolling. Like I do believe in a sense of freedom. But then at the same time, I think there is a beauty in showing up for yourself every day, even when you don't want to.
Speaker 1: There's a lot to be gained in having discipline, and I think in that that's where I mean, there's this fine balance of flexibility and discipline where the flexibility might be yes, I'm going to do this thing for thirty days, but I keep trying to do it in the morning and it's not feeling growing in the morning, so I'm actually going to try it in the afternoon. Or you know, as long as I just got on the mat every day for thirty years, maybe I did yoga for an hour, or maybe I did it for ten minutes, or maybe I meditated for did a two minute meditation, or maybe I did a ten minute and I'm at and I'm continuing to say through my practice of being disciplined about something that I do believe this is important. Yeah, And I also am trying to understand how it can be create a high functioning something high functioning for me and so that I can truly reef the bend if it's because listen, I know a lot of people who meditate every day and are like nuts, you know, like and and but it's actually because maybe it's the wrong meditation for them, or maybe they actually really need a walk and need to go outside and have sunlight on their skin while they while they kind of leave their thoughts.
Speaker 2: And some people, if they.
Speaker 1: Sit, they stew, yeah, and some so that's why some people need to you know, I feel that way a lot where I'm like, I just have to move because my like I am like, you know, I sit and write all day, so I feel that I churn all day.
Speaker 2: So I say that all the time.
Speaker 1: I'm like when I'm I I have to have a little like snacks all day when I eat, and because I feel like a little athlete that's like just churning, churning, churning, churning, like and so but that's just who I am so when I try to go from this churning, churning, churning sitting to the this sitting, it doesn't really translate.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I get that so much. I feel the same way. I have to have some sort of move in my day because even if I don't physically have movement, I feel stagnant internally. I found movements such a beautiful way to release. And whether that's in walking or whether that's a high intensity training class like whatever that movement is. I think movement of body really stimulates movement of mind and of I mean it stimulates so much well.
Speaker 1: Andrey know that because if you want to kind of start to rewire your nervous system, it is going to be a physical thing. I mean not to sound dark, but that's why they did like electroshock therapy, which is like very sick in the head obviously, but there is this idea that you know, we do know from data and studies that the body traps trauma, that body traps, I mean, all of these things.
Speaker 2: Live in the body.
Speaker 1: So you this idea that you are doing this movement out of you can start to repattern the piece at which your nervous system is moving and informing your mind and your kind of spiritual Yeah.
Speaker 4: I always find when I go off track or I don't show up in those thirty days, it's like my mind starts tricking me to be Like, you feel this guilt first of all, and then that guilt translates to not showing up again. Yeah, And it's this tricky cycle that you go through where you're like, oh, well I didn't commit to your mindset.
Speaker 3: Well maybe you just shouldn't do it.
Speaker 4: It's just not for you, you know, take a break from it. But actually that can end up being I noticed that's actually either my lazy self or this feeling of I didn't complete and now I have to start all over again. And that guilt really stops me from the practice I know is good for me.
Speaker 3: And so actually the.
Speaker 4: Guilt doesn't help in any way. It doesn't fuel me to keep going. It stops me from doing something I know I actually love doing. And I think that that so many people can get trapped in that feeling of guilt where you end up wanting to do something that's better for you. It's like when I'm like, Okay, I'm gonna not gonna have sugar today, like for a week. I need to detox from it. I need to get away from it for a little bit.
Speaker 3: And then I have one piece. I'm like, oh, well, then I just ruined all events.
Speaker 1: I know.
Speaker 3: Give yourself a bit of grace. It's fine.
Speaker 4: It's not going back to the beginning. It's just stepping back and stepping forward again.
Speaker 3: Like it's not. You don't have to feel like you've failed or.
Speaker 4: Ruined everything by taking a break from something.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And in that, there is something to be said about being able to cross a finish line and be imperfect at the same time. And I think a lot of the times we are just conditioned to believe that crossing the finish line having been perfect is the only way to get there, and that's just not real. And so I think we can say, like, no, I got there. I still like and I tried, and how what I did was better than last week or better than yesterday.
Speaker 2: And that's okay. And that's also life.
Speaker 1: That is our human condition, is that there is a day where we can wake up and we feel completely different than we did three days before, or something goes on, or you know, I was with a friend of mine who'd, like, you know, her her dad passed a month ago, and I remember she was on this kind of journey of like she wasn't having wine and she wasn't doing something because she was getting she's her body, she was preparing her body for something, and you know her dad passed and she's like, oh, no, I need it. I want a glass of wine now, like you know these and obviously that's a very extreme example, but these things do happen, and we have to allow ourselves to be human or have or do so that we can also like you know, know, what is the life affirming decision for us? Like sometimes you just have to have eaten that junkie thing one too many times for it.
Speaker 2: To be like, no, I don't even want it anymore.
Speaker 1: Like I let myself have it like ten times and then it's just like I actually was, like I needed to happen until I didn't want it anymore, and then you don't even think about it. And I think we tend to become so kind of mentally attached to decisions we make around being well or happy or eating or all these things, when this idea that we give freedom, like you say, to our experiences around them, also gives us the free will to have discipline, so it's not like, oh, something dragged us and made us feel disciplined. And that's why I like the word to be disciplined rather than like obligated to or whatever, because then we, you know, we chose, and I think when you feel that you're not choosing because you're like I should, I should I should. Yeah, And it's like sometimes I'm like, I don't know, like hit rock bottom with it, like like have ordered the like you know, pad tie or like and it just have that indigestion one more time, like and because like your body will also just be like you can we can't do that now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it is like that, you know.
Speaker 1: And so I feel like being like a kid growing up in New Orleans, I remember it's like like I have like like drinking.
Speaker 2: Like whiskey or something like that.
Speaker 1: Now I'm just like if I smell it, I'm like whoa, Like I can't even Like I'm like.
Speaker 2: I can't even you know. But it was because I was like out in high we'll sneaking into a bar like and.
Speaker 1: You know, didn't know what I was doing and we were just psychotic. Yeah, but you know, you just or you'll like have had that thing one too many times and your body's like, okay, can we like get on a roll. And even again, that embodiment, having that attunement to sell it does create a harmony between our wants for ourselves and our ability to be in and have that and become those things.
Speaker 4: Definitely, it does take a while to like we were saying, your body just gets trained to something, but it takes a while. It's not an instant thing of oh I started meditating, or I started eating salads and iver was amazing. Now, like it takes a while for your mind and your body to notice that this actually feels good for me, because at the beginning, it's discomfort. At the beginning, it's uncomfortable that, oh, you're swapping out that pizza slice and you're eating vegetables instead, Like why am I doing this? But eventually, when you you're right you have to, it's almost like you stick at it for a small amount of time and you notice that shift and that change in yourself, which hopefully then creates a new pattern or a new way of existing.
Speaker 1: And it's like we were talking about earlier, when you're like, if you just have happen, have an energized day. So then you commit to all these things and you're like, wait, hold on, I was just having a really like I was on a high that day of being like I'm feeling good. I'm feeling like I have a lot of capacity. And I think a lot of the times, whether it's about how we want to eat or what we want to do for ourselves to feel well and good, we have one like kind of released day where we're just like, oh, I am just into fruits and vegetables today, and so then you're like, oh my god, I am now.
Speaker 2: This forever and da da da dah.
Speaker 1: And then there comes the judgment and the shame and the whatever when something comes around.
Speaker 2: When really we.
Speaker 1: Can say like wow, on any given day, like I know, I'm free to make these amazing decisions for my body and my health, and what can I do to detach from reasons why I would want them to be one way.
Speaker 2: Rather than another? And I think that's really important.
Speaker 4: I'm so that friend who at the beginning of like a Friday, I have all this time, I'm like, yeah, let's do this at night, let's do this, let's all hang out. I get to Midia, I'm like, why.
Speaker 3: Did I do that. Why did I just commit to all of that?
Speaker 4: I have no idea that friend waiting for your other friend to cancel before you do.
Speaker 2: That's always me.
Speaker 1: Yes, You're like, in the relief of them canceling, you're like, oh.
Speaker 4: Yeahs I you mentioned rock Button and it reminded me of something from your book where you speak about lostness, and I feel like I can I mean, I just keep saying this, but your book just felt like it was talking to me. But I felt that a lot of my life and I still go through waves of it. I think depending on what part of your life journey you go on, it's never just a onwards and upwards. It's always this ebb and flow of I feel like I've discovered something, and then you feel lost again. And then you feel like you've discovered something and then you feel lost again. What did lostness look like in your life?
Speaker 2: Like?
Speaker 4: How did you recognize the lostness in your life?
Speaker 1: I mean, I think there's micro moments of lostness where you could just have a day where you're disappointed and you're like, what's the point of everything?
Speaker 2: Yeah? And I think people go through that daily.
Speaker 1: I think there's macro lostness where people you know, finish one big goal, and because they're on the other side of that goal, they are now not really understanding how to like orient themselves to.
Speaker 2: What they want to be doing next.
Speaker 1: I think big changes change us, and if we don't get to know ourselves again when we've had a big change, we often feel lost. And so I know I've felt that. I felt that when I moved to LA. I felt lost after I had my first kid, because.
Speaker 3: So yourself, right, Yeah, well, and so much.
Speaker 1: Changes, and we have to really live in true observation of self and life when when big changes are happening. But a lot of the times we're just so busy trying to get through the change and do the next thing, or we're just busy, or we're grieving, or we're this, or we're that in this other emotional place that we just stop noticing. Yes, in the noticing and the observing is actually I think what's critical to us being able to kind of come home.
Speaker 2: To ourselves or steady ourselves, or feel.
Speaker 1: Like, yes, everything around me could look different, but I am familiar to me.
Speaker 4: Yes, I think when I think about my lostness, it was probably me doing again all these things externally and then suddenly it's me running after myself, trying to catch up with who I am, because suddenly I get to a point in my life where I haven't been doing the observation. I haven't been noticing the small shifts and changes I've been making, where I suddenly look at myself and.
Speaker 3: I'm like, how did I even get who? How did I even get here? And who am I?
Speaker 4: Whether it's in a good way or a bad way, it's me trying to catch up with the version of myself that I suddenly find I am, And so I always imagine it as you know, you're just constantly lost, like running through the forest of your own heart, and you're trying to chug along with this person.
Speaker 3: Who's going at the speed of lightning. But suddenly you're you know, it.
Speaker 4: Takes so much time to catch up with yourself if you're almost absent, you've been in darkness for such a long period where you haven't been checking in with yourself, and so it's almost like meeting someone. You've dated someone and then you meet them again in ten years time, you're like, you're a completely different person. And that's how I end up feeling about myself, where I've checked out from checking in with myself, and suddenly a year down the line'm like, oh wow, I haven't met you. Yeah, I need to get to know you again. Yeah.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 1: There's a poem and remember love that is like five words, like the shortest page in the whole books, and it's called It's simple every time you change, get to know yourself again. And it's really interesting that because having just come up of touring this book, that was something that stuck out to so many people as a mantra to return to giving yourself attentious attention so that you can bring awareness to your experience, so that you can locate yourself in your circumstances. And I think so much of the time we are just the last in our list for our own attention, and because of that, we are just you know, we don't we're not embodied, and we're not aware, and we're not and we're you know, we are our circumstances. We are the person we're talking to, we are the thing we're doing, we are and we are never actually any of those things. And so it's really disorienting and it happens everyone, and it can happen just like and you could have just have one crazy day that totally hijacks you, and you could just be feeling like lost and not yourself or confused, or like by the way, something really big and horrible happens in the world and it changes every way you're feeling about your own life and everything else, and you feel really lost in that. So I think our relationship to lostness and making peace with the fact that it kind of comes up a lot in what can be a rituals to returning to self are so important because we tend to act like it's like the big bad like Boogeyman, and will it come will it not? And you're like, Okay, it will definitely come, like that's the good news and the bad news like.
Speaker 2: It will be here. You will be lost.
Speaker 1: It will happen frequently, and that is a part of the human experience. You can move through it. You can create a practice of returning to self and being life. Going from familiar to unfamiliar is the natural flow of our existence.
Speaker 4: When you went through your periods of lostness, what were the few things that helped you to return, you know, back to who you were or to help rEFInd your way.
Speaker 2: I think acknowledging it.
Speaker 1: I think a lot of the times we don't acknowledge it, and sometimes people maybe even try to help us acknowledge that we are, you know, like don't feel like ourselves, or we're you know, being even like extra grumpy about everything because we're not feeling at home in ourselves. If you can't accurately identify the wound, you can't heal the wound. And so I think a lot of it is that, you know, we just tend to think it's no, it's just this, and it's this, and they're just this and that's just and that's just that or whatever. And I think when we can say, okay, but what's my part of this, like what's going on on my side of the street and on my side of the street, it could be like, wow, I'm being really hard on people right now?
Speaker 2: Why am I being really hard on people? Like what is this saying.
Speaker 1: About where I am? And in that we can probably see that like, ooh, I'm feeling resentment and the resentment is like making me feel a little lost in who I am. And so I think kind of doing that work to like pause and interrogate yourself kind of Unfortunately in doing it with help if you can. But I think if you can't identify the wound. I remember when I went through being able to understand I was having postpartum depression, I was. It just changed when I could actually it to myself and feel it and know it was there. It changed my conversations with my therapist. It changed the type of support I asked my girlfriends for. It changed the conversations and type of support I asked my partner for. I mean, it changed really everything because I could I could say like, this is what's happening and so. And that was a profound period of lostness for me. But I think it was a little prolonged because I kept being like, oh, no, you just have brain fog, like so annoying hormones. No, no, no, Or you're just like oh or you're just like, oh my gosh, like la is so did da da? And you're like anytime you're focused on others or out other exterior circumstances is usually a sign that you don't want to look within and kind of say like, this is my wound.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I always think that whenever I start getting more attracted to gossip of other people or criticizing other people, or I reckon recognize myself noticing the bad in people more than the good. It's usually a sign for me that I have a lot of work that I need to be doing, all things that I need to bring up in myself, because the natural state is not to do them. Natural state is to see people and see the good in them before the bad, to be able to recognize the sweetness in someone before you recognize.
Speaker 1: And or at the very least, even if you can't do that, even if you're sitting her being like I struggle because like her, like they are annoying they are, yes, and like they just are and they like rub me the wrong way. So even if that's true, acceptance is truly our natural state. So the idea that you're like, well, they are who they are, and you know that's why I have this boundary and you can keep it moving. But I do think that when you're like really ruffled by people and it's more than one and and and that's a and that's happening all around you, it's helpful to be like, wait, if I'm annoyed with everyone, yeah, like it's me, am.
Speaker 2: I the problem?
Speaker 1: Yes, exactly, like everyone can't be annoying.
Speaker 4: Yeah, When I moved to New York, I I just I felt that intensely because I had to give up I had been studying for six years. I couldn't use it in America. I had no friends, no family. Jay was at work all day, and I basically had no idea what I was supposed to be doing. I genuinely wandered the streets of New York. I'd take him lunch because it was the only thing that I knew I could do. And I kept trying to figure out what my purpose was. And it was that discomfort, the serious discomfort of just having to sit with myself, which I never had to do in my life before, without the distractions, and also not really having people to talk to because I didn't want to talk to my mom or my sister about it because I thought it would upset them. Yeah, and I didn't want to tell my friends that I was in New York and not really happy, because oh my.
Speaker 3: God, you've moved to New York. It's amazing.
Speaker 4: And I didn't want to really upset Jay that much because it was already quite intense for him that I was so upset, And so it was actually a beautiful time to be able to just I mean, at the time it felt horrific, but now I look by it, I'm like, that changed so much of me because that lostness physically of just wandering around, the lostness of sitting there and not even knowing what to do with myself, it allowed me to expand so much. Like I then decided to study so much more. I was like, if I don't know what I want to do, let me figure it out. Like again, I had to sit here, keep telling myself, I have no idea what I want to do. I've no idea what my purpose is. Or let me trial an error, let me try to do this yoga teacher. I didn't want to do yoga at the time, but I was like, let me do a yoga teacher training.
Speaker 2: It's near me.
Speaker 4: Let me figure out what I can learn about that and myself. I then studied, I evade, I did so many things to try and understand myself better from scratch, because I realized at that point I really didn't know anything about my new version of myself that was that was becoming.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, it's really interesting because there's a page to remember a lab where I quote my friend's mother who's in her nineties, and she had said to me, you know, I'd always heard people say this, you know, and I'm sure you have you where they're like, well, if you you know, you can't understand the good if you don't have the bad, or if you can't understand like joy, if you don't have pain.
Speaker 2: And I was always I was always like, really, like, I don't know.
Speaker 1: I do think you I do think we would know joy without needing pain.
Speaker 2: She said this really interesting thing to me.
Speaker 1: Which was she's like, you know, the thing about when you're happy all the time is you don't think because you're so present. You're just like I'm happy, I'm here, I'm in it. She's like, pain causes us to question life, so they say like.
Speaker 2: Why me, why this? Why? Why?
Speaker 4: Why?
Speaker 1: And in those questions that's how you become deliberate yes. And so this, that's how you create a deliberate path. That's how you do those things where you're like, wow, is there like do I have like a scratch? It's something in me scratching at yoga something to me, scratching at at at medicine, at like healing at ira Veda.
Speaker 2: You know all of these.
Speaker 1: Things, and and you you you you could hear the things that are whispering, because there's you're you're in this questioning. And when she said that, I was like, Wow, that really helps me understand pain. Yeah, because I never was like, oh, it's the only way you get joy.
Speaker 2: It's like that just never.
Speaker 1: I get it in theory, but I never it never resonated with me spiritually.
Speaker 2: And that I was like, yes, you need It makes.
Speaker 1: You ask questions, You say, why, like why am I not happy in New York? Why do I like, why does this thing I want not feel the way I thought it would. Why you know all of these things? And then you have to answer those questions and in that you start to chart a path that is uniquely your own.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I agree.
Speaker 4: I think there's so many different ways that people even come to their like spiritual path. And I remember someone saying to me, it's either through confusion and curiosity, or most of the time, it's through pain. You've been through something difficult and you're questioning life, you're questioning death, you're questioning why we're even here. And only at that point do you start thinking, I need to understand the world myself and how this will relates together and so many people I've met the spiritual journeys, and by that I mean connecting to yourself, connected to the universe, connecting to God. It all started through a position of pain and discomfort in the world. I loved this quote the semi quoite Seite loved in your book, but this one really hit deep for me. You said, we do not have to listen to the shadows just because we hear them.
Speaker 3: Where do you.
Speaker 4: Think negative you know, self talk and this constant almost not demonizing ourselves but speaking more negatively to ourselves than good, which I think a lot of us are in that position. Where do you think it ends up rooting from? And how did you.
Speaker 3: Have that in your life? And then how did you shift to the narrative you have in your mind now?
Speaker 1: When it comes to negative self talk, I mean obviously that comes from judgment, and judgment comes from this kind of deep conditioning that there's.
Speaker 2: A culture that tells us we.
Speaker 1: Are fundamentally broken or wrong. Because if you buy this and you do this, then you get more and more whole, or you get less and less broken, or you'll be more and more Okay, if you wear the right thing, or you take the right supplement, or you do that, you know, all that stuff and so and it's hard to shake that because that's the world we see.
Speaker 2: So when we see it in billboards and we see it and.
Speaker 1: It's in conversation, and it's how parents raise us because ultimately it keeps you safe to understand the way the world works. And so your parents want you to be scared.
Speaker 2: Of the same things that they felt kept them safe.
Speaker 1: And so it's like, you know, think that you need to get this in order to be safe or settled or happy or whatever. And so to me, a lot of that, you know, the poem that that comes from, you know, we don't have to listen to the shadows just because we can hear them is more of a rally cry to say, just reclaim yourself. Every moment you feel that the decisions or the voice in your head is someone else's voice, or someone else's opinion or someone else's directions home, you do have this ability to reclaim it and say, like is this what I want? I think, is this what I need? Because you owe yourself that, like your life is your greatest gift and responsibility. Yeah, and so in that there is this relationship of constant reclamation.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think.
Speaker 4: I think that can be so difficult when you've had these constant layers put on you, and like you said, whether it's family, whether it's societal pressures, whether it's the labels people have put on you. And the only way I think you can really reclaim and keep coming back to what do I want? The only way to really know what you want is by, you know, deconstructing all of these these layers that have been put on you. And I always think about that because sometimes I get to who I'm like, is this what I want? Or is this what other people want? But if I haven't stayed in tune with myself, I don't know what I want. And I always think about the channel between like my heart or my soul and my mind, like this channel that can often be clogged up or filled with all this other stuff. So by the time what comes into my mind goes through to my whole, or what's happening in my heart goes to my mind, it's gone through so much that I don't even know whether it's me talking or someone else talking. And I think it's really important and I've obviously still working on that so much, but to try and figure out how to unplug those things, because the clearer that channel is, the more comfort and the more confident you will get in being like, this is actually me. This I can confidently stand in who I am and I know that this decision is coming from me and nowhere else. But I think to unclog that and I think those are daily practices. It's little things that we've been talking about that whole.
Speaker 2: It's real maintenance. So it's me. I think if you think.
Speaker 1: That there is a there that you're like, okay, and I talk about this a lot, and remember love it. It's like, you know, we often talk about self care as something you either it's a battle you win or you lose, but it really manifests more as a bird in flight. There are times when you are kind of the elements are working towards you, and there are times when the elements are working against you, and it's like it's raining and you just got to find shelter and it's really really tough. And there are certain times where like the wind is at just the right place beneath your wings and you're able to cruise that it's different from one day to the next, and it is no matter what, still this movement of self. And so I think that every time we think like, okay, I got to the point where I unclogged you know that part, or I just got this or I got and you know, it's like anything else in your house that breaks, it's like, well, you know that like pipe is still connected to this pipe, and this one's probably getting like clogged.
Speaker 2: Up now too. And I think we.
Speaker 1: Get defeated really easily if we think, you know, if we when we approach it as and it's hard because it's daunting, but it's real. It is lifelong, like you will just every day, every single day because everything.
Speaker 3: That again every day you're taking out.
Speaker 4: It's like I always think of it as a sun pit where you're taking a shovel and you're taking it out, and then there's someone else that's pouring back in. You're taking a shovel and you're taking it out. But what parts are you taking out and what parts are you allowing to stay in you? And the voices that get louder, whether it's the shadows or whether it's your soul, It depends on which one you feed and everything that you're doing is feeding one or the other.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and or watching or seeing And so I think a lot of the times, and I think a lot of our you.
Speaker 2: Know, judgments.
Speaker 1: You know, if you're feeling like you're really judging, you should watch what you're watching and watch who you're with, because you might find that you are also surrounding yourself with people who put an exclamation point on your judgment because they're your friends who like to be judging and have maybe have those same judgments or have those same struggles, or what you're kind of who you're watching or doing on social media is like something that says, yes, your judgments are valid, instead of saying, hey, like pause, release your judgment, have a moment of joy, have a moment of discovery, have a moment of something different. And so it's really important, as you say, to to really be clear on what you're feeding.
Speaker 4: Yeah. I always notice, I'm like when I go to my for you page, and I really know where my mind's are depending on what's on there. And so I really started to try and curate that, whether it's quotes, or whether it's things that make me feel good or animal videos, you know, things that just really uplift my spirit. But I click on one little video that's about gossip of like this couple just did this.
Speaker 2: Suddenly your page was your Darker SLF. I'm like, I can even get on there.
Speaker 1: I like won't even open it, and I'm like, I don't need this mirror.
Speaker 4: No, it's but I always say it's a good It's a good but sad reflection.
Speaker 3: Sometimes.
Speaker 4: You also said in your book, I'm tired of feeling strong. I want to feel nourished. I love that line. I think that's this is so much in such little words. So busy, exhausting, distracted has become the norm. How do we get back to accepting and recognizing relaxation as the norm and not the exception or like the treaty, I do think. I mean, we've spoken about this so much to do with anxiety being a state that you can be constantly in. But what are your favorite ways to nourish yourself on a day basis, Like whether it's what the foods you eat, what do you like? Can you give me three things that you just it can be so specific to you, but.
Speaker 1: Well, I think gearing your day and that doesn't mean that you don't go to work, or you don't do or you don't fulfill your responsibilities or obligations, but gearing it towards ease, so saying how can I get this done? And ease is still on the table. Something we question that I found myself saying a lot on my tour was you know, in your dreams and your biggest dream for yourself is your body and your dream like in what you're dreaming of that in your greatest goal is your body in your goal. And I think in this kind of hustle and grind culture where we truly like the idea of hustle and grind is like your body doesn't get to exist because if you ground grind something, it turns to dust. And so what do we think our body's place is in our destiny, in our dream And so for me, what I found is just the moment these pauses to say, well, what does tomorrow's like planning tomorrow look like where my body gets to like belong in the schedule too, And that doesn't mean that like, oh so I'm like trying to get my workout class in because that's not like my body like belonging to it. That's something that I can check off the list as like a right thing I did that day for health, vanity, whatever my body belonging to. It means that like, I have some relationship with like ease and relaxation because I don't want my body to live and fight or flight in order to achieve. And so that might look like, well, you know, I'm going to have the babysitter come early because I know that even after the kids do get up, I can probably I think I could at least rest for an extra hour if that's possible, or I can say, you know, I'm going to order all of the like green juices that I like to have because I truly feel the like alkalie my body when you you know that feeling when you're just like so like salty or this or that, and you have that like moment where the like I mean plants are medicine, where you truly feel that the medicinal value of having something that is a life because I try not to look at foods as like good or bad, but life affirming or not. And so it's like I in all of the ways that I approach wellness, I think of like, well, what makes this feel life affirming? And my friend Jenna always says, you know, if you eat ninety percent life affirming and ten percent soul, then like you're always kind of you know, you don't feel that you have like fomo or weird attachment around what you do or don't have. And so for me, I think ways in which I can even ask for support, whether it's from you know, my partner, by being like, well, can are these things you can take off the plate of parenting because.
Speaker 2: I need to feel like I'm not.
Speaker 1: In a state of like the constant arranging and like scheduling of everyone all day long. Or I can say, you know, I have to be able to do my walk, so I'm going to do my walk during this time. And I think as far as nourishing, I'd say, like starting your day with something you knew grew from the earth, I think is just really helpful. It just is like so I think whatever it could be, because I do again, I feel that like, you know, we hold these machines in our hand all day long and they work in this really specific way, and then our brains start to think that like that the world created in on the phone is the world we live in, and we start to feel really this like distance from feeling like connected to something because ultimately we don't belong it, like in this world of technology, like we don't belong there. We have interest there and it's cool and it's amazing, but it's not like that's not where we come from, Like there's no spiritual home there. And the more we stare at a machine, the where we think that we are meant to function like a machine, which means that if we need to move slowly, we think we're broken. Because if your phone's moving slowly, you're.
Speaker 3: Like damn it, like you know, and think so fast.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And your body is you know, seasonal, like and the seasons go through your body and you have really slow moving kind of like winters where you find it kind of need to hunker down, and then you have these like really like active springs and these kind of cozy falls of like a winding down in this like summer. Like I mean, there there's just so many ways that the way that that that how energy flows in our bodies is similar to the natural world. And so I think whatever you can do that is connective to that. So I think even if it's like and without judging, it's like you know, because we've gotten to this point where people really judge you about fruits and vegetables.
Speaker 2: I think this is like kind of odd.
Speaker 1: Did you notice that You're like, wait, what's like the problem with the banana? Like and it's like and that's like the thing you want, like have the banana, Like there's nothing wrong if it was grown in earth, I promise you if it came out of soil, there's it's not harming you.
Speaker 2: Like, it's just not like have the potato. Who cares, Like.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it is the tips every time exactly every.
Speaker 1: Time, like or anything that is like has been processed in a lab. And and by the way, like no shade to any of those things. Like whatever you know you need for want for your ten percent soul, have your soul food. But I think this idea that we know every day, like how can I connect?
Speaker 4: So?
Speaker 1: Can I connect through food? Can I connect through like winding my day down when the sun goes down? Can I connect to starting like moving into my day as like the sun comes up and like acknowledging sunlight? You know, so often I think we like kind of go into these like dark rooms and get our work done all day. And it's like or like, can I move with the ways the day moves Like that's really nourishing. It's really nourishing to have to have like the elements water, air, sunlight. I mean, those things drastically change your points of joy and okayness. And so I think there's so much we can do that is just in a natural flow, if we just have a little intentionality, Yeah.
Speaker 4: And acknowledging that if we don't even realize what we're consuming from nature on a daily basis, that's keeping us alive, from the sunlight.
Speaker 3: To the air to the food that we're eating.
Speaker 4: This really beautiful practice actually that I learned and been practicing it for ten years, and it's it's a really great way to become so intentional. I talk about it in my book as well. But you offer back from the morning. I have an altar here in my home where that's why I do my meditation. But throughout the day, you can offer back all the elements that the universe gives you, all the earth gives you. And so in the morning, will like incense and that's like the scent and the sandalwood that comes from the earth. Every morning, I'll offer back water and I'll say a specific mantra for that, and then before we eat or drink anything, you place it up on a separate plate and you offer that back before you actually consuming yourself. And it has been such a beautiful practice to reget. And I'll offer a lamp in the morning, a light where all like a candle is offering back fire to the earth. And it's such a beautiful way to reconnect back to nature in a very simple way. You're simply just offering back what you're consuming. But what a lovely way to connect. I've just I've really appreciated that practice throughout the years because it helps me to just appreciate what I am as a person living within the earth consuming on a daily basis. Well.
Speaker 1: And if we want to talk about claiming our own peace of mind, like one way to do that that will be free every time is ritual, like creating some ritual around relaxation, and like all of those things you do, like the ritual, like it's just a way in which we focus on doing something, which is also how you could define a meditation, which is also how you could find any of these practices that help us to feel better about how we're moving through the world. We're leaving the busy mind state and saying I'm striking this much, and I'm lighting this candle and I'm deciding where my thoughts flow by saying thank you Earth for this and thank you.
Speaker 2: Dida da da da.
Speaker 1: Like all of those rituals create slowness. They create a way that we exit this kind of like to do list mind frame and go into this you know space of here's what I've decided I'm thinking about or not thinking about and really deciding and choosing our thoughts, and it gears towards gratitude, which we know that gratitude every time.
Speaker 2: Is this free anxiety release.
Speaker 3: Yes, serotonin boost yeah.
Speaker 4: Do you have any gratitude practices that you do during the day or is it just the general trying to see things, observe things, and feel You know.
Speaker 1: It's interesting because I think I feel like I talked with this in Heart Talk first book, but I like to have my little gratitude parties at the end of every day, which is just that I like to alchemize something I would consider a chore as something that's a privilege. So if I'm washing the dishes, you know, I'll say I'm so grateful that I got to feed my daughter's food that I made for them, or that you know, I think is and I get to understand how to feed them and have the privilege of being able to give them food in a world that is food and secure in so many places, and so all these things that I would be like, oh this sucks, like I don't want to wash the dishes, or I don't want to do this, or I don't want to like take out the garbage. It can say like, you know, I'm so grateful I like get to have like my garbage taken because there's so many places in the world where like you have to sit in your garbage, and you know, and that's like a way that people have been you know, we demoralize people or create inequities in the world. Is truly like sanitation, our ability to live in a clean space, yeah, I.
Speaker 3: Mean clean water. I have to.
Speaker 4: I think I function through the day in the same way. Every time I find something that I feel ungrateful for or that I'm having a negative thought about, even if it's through with my own body when I'm looking in the mirror or when I have a thought in my mind, I at least try and follow up with a thought of gratitude of Okay, well, I've just cussed myself out in the mirror, but I'm so grateful for my legs to be able to carry me, and you know, for me to be able to have a voice that I can you know, articulate and express myself, for me to have eyes that can see this world like at least something to not even balance it out, but to create slowly create a new pattern of thought, and that really helps me to get through the day, but also helps me to see different perspective that I wouldn't normally see if I was building on this negative talk like at every single moment. Whereas it it does, it almost balances it back out.
Speaker 1: And it proves the power of your thoughts and so in that, I think so often if we don't try to kind of again reclaim our thought pattern, our thought flow, we really do feel that we are victim of everything we think. And while we of course are not in control of our first thought, we just aren't. We usually have a lot to say so over the thoughts that follow y So like, we can't if you just have that fear, that irrational thing, or that anxiety, or that like doom feeling, or that inappropriate thought, or that whatever it might be.
Speaker 2: That you're judging yourself for.
Speaker 1: You know, if you don't have a practice of reclaiming how you think by whether that's inserting gratitude or looking on the right side side of things, or whatever you want to call it, then you will live a life where you your thoughts are the boss of you all the time, and you always feel that like, oh, I just can't do this because I'm not someone who can do da da da, And you're like, well, who says.
Speaker 3: Yes, you said, you said, you know, Yeah, that's so beautiful. Oh my god. I could literally listen to your voice. Is your Boudia book? It is, Oh my gosh, I could hear your voice all day.
Speaker 4: You have such a seething energy and personality. I really appreciated this conversation so much.
Speaker 3: I have a few questions I want to ask you.
Speaker 4: It's just like a final quick fire, but you can take as long as you want to answer. What's something that a lot of people don't know about you, but now they will, but you'd like them to know about you.
Speaker 1: I'm someone who watches the same movies over and over and over again and tell me, and I probably watched like one, like I probably watch a Meg Ryan movie every night. But there's something there's something like soothing about her, like and like in every movie she like chose for like a span of like ten years, was just something where you were like, this is a really cool reality, Like I wish this was the world.
Speaker 2: So it's like if you want my god, like my.
Speaker 3: Mom was obsessed with her going.
Speaker 4: I've watched every Meg Ryan movie out there because if I had that enjoy Roberts, yeah, oh, I.
Speaker 2: Mean beyond that.
Speaker 1: And so I watch, you know, the like Sleepless in Seattle and we're hearing that Sally and I. But I'm someone who just like does not I do not like integrate new things like I have. And I usually watch a rom com and I like watch one every like I fall asleep to one like every I guess fall asleeps out.
Speaker 2: The right word, but I like I have I have to have.
Speaker 1: That moment as if it was like some people go to the gym. I'm like, I have to have twenty minutes of like the world according to rom comms before I go to sleep, like and I just need to have it. And I don't like I don't care how late I go to bed. I like have to, like, like Simon knows, He'll be like, yes, like I have to. I have to turn off a like I usually turn it off before I go to bed, but I just have to even if I'm watching something else, I have to have that ten minutes of like the rom com Like we were just watching that, Like did you watch you guys watch the David Beckham documentary. Yes, we were just watching it. And Simon was like, okay, like good night, because we'd watch an episode and he'd go ready to like and to go to bed.
Speaker 2: I was going to bed and he's like, what are you doing.
Speaker 1: I was like, well, I have to like still have ten minutes to like calm down, Like it just calms my nervous system down.
Speaker 3: I mean, that's the best genre.
Speaker 4: And I feel like they really don't make They really don't make movies like they did back.
Speaker 2: I have a theory about this.
Speaker 1: I think that people think we don't have the patience to watch people fall in love anymore. So what ends up happening is that in these genres, it's like this quick thing of like I don't believe because they just don't fall in love, like and when Harry met Sally. The entire movie is not about that they end up together or they don't, but you watch them fall in love for two hours, like through these different circumstances, through these different conversations, where now they would just be like a montage of them being.
Speaker 2: Like we're at the movies, week, gone shopping, We've did it all.
Speaker 1: We are like had a day at a coffee shop, like all these things, and you're like it doesn't like work that way. You actually like you're not hanging in the moment of like watching them fall in love or fall out of love or like and so they that part and they think that we just are waiting to see like what's going to be the drama, Like what's going to be the conflict, And it's like nobody watched like there's like no conflict in.
Speaker 2: Like any episodes of Sex and the City.
Speaker 1: Like it was like like literally like nothing happens, but you watch these friends just like love each other all the time and like fall in love with each other for like ten years.
Speaker 3: Can you send me your whole list?
Speaker 2: Please?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 2: I will, Oh you're great, I will.
Speaker 4: What emotion do you find difficult to deal with the why if any.
Speaker 1: Uh, I'd say, you know, definitely, anger is something I've worked through and with a lot, in the sense of I think those fiery emotions where you're you know, the thing about anger, Like, there's nothing wrong with any emotion you have, right, Like jealousy is one of the most informative emotions you can have. It's only when we turn jealousy into violence that it's a problem.
Speaker 2: So if we say that like it.
Speaker 1: You know, I could look at someone and be like, oh my like jealousy, could say, oh my god, that's so amazing she has that. I'm so grateful that I can see somebody in real time achieving something that is lighting me up inside because now I know what to work for. It's helping me on my path to make decisions towards my goal. It's crystallizing something for me. Or I can say, how could she have that? I have this and they have that and she doesn't do da da, And like any moment in which like an emotion tells you your God and you're somehow deciding what someone does and doesn't deserve, or like you should be in charge of anyone else's destiny, Like that's obviously toxic. But if we pause before it turns into that, and we decide to keep it as information, then it's really helpful. And I think anger is something where you know, like in my household growing up, I would just see anger manifest as like yelling or whatever, and you're just like, I just don't want to be like that, and so you are afraid to actually have that.
Speaker 2: Feeling.
Speaker 1: But really, the thing about like anger is that it's fire, and fire is light. It's illuminating something in you, like it is illuminating your values.
Speaker 2: It is illuminating what you.
Speaker 1: Believe should or should not be. It is like it is illuminating like a history. It's illuminating like how you feel injustice. And we always have to be tapped into feelings like what we feel is or isn't just around us, And I think it really helps us to be an advocate for ourselves because we can feel that heat and we can feel the light, and the light brings things out of the dark and clarity to things.
Speaker 2: So when we.
Speaker 1: Hide from those hot emotions like jealousy or big sadness, jealousy or anger or big sadness, we do tend to miss out.
Speaker 2: But I think we're so you know, you watch so many people.
Speaker 1: Create violent manifestations of that, so like anger is great. Anger is like some of the most incredible information you could get about people in your life, life, about yourself. It's just anger. Obviously when it turns to violence, is you know, not helpful.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this is not in my list. But what does your tattoo?
Speaker 2: Day? Oh it says love. Why wouldn't you?
Speaker 3: Ah, I love that. When was the last time you had a really good cry? And why?
Speaker 4: Oh you don't say why? Just when was the last time made a really good cry?
Speaker 1: You know? I have been crying a lot lately. Yeah, and I'm so grateful. And I write about crying in this book because I was the person who was never a crier. And I had this revelation once in therapy where I had said to my therapist, like I hid my tears for so long they started hiding for me, so I couldn't like locate my tears.
Speaker 2: But it's because we live in a world that tells us not to cry.
Speaker 1: And and I write, you know, you're not supposed to cry at home, and you shouldn't cry at school, and you could shouldn't cry here, Like there's not a place where we say, like, these tears are welcome. And so I think because of that, this idea that we are like strong and not human happens in a human like is always going to have relationship to water and to cleansing into removing. And so recently I was having this cry and I was like kind of you know, I had been with my friend who his dad passed, and I was with her and her mom, and you know, I didn't feel I could cry when I was with them, but it was so horrible, and I remember getting in the car and like just really letting it go. And it was really weird because like not to sound like psycho, but I'm not, like I don't think about like live citing my own work. But I had this moment in the car because I was like, I still was having trouble to let it go even when I got there, because I was like, I'm going to cry in this uber and like now it's going to be this guy's problem, and like, and there's this poem in the book that says, the tears they shed and shed it is it is a gift. It is a gift to release what I can no longer hold in this idea that like we just don't have to hold it and that our tears come as a way to like let us release what we can't hold anymore, you know, really helped. I mean I wrote that poem because it was a mantra that helped me like kind of allow for myself to cry whenever I need to have the cry. And so whether it's like, you know, I'll have a tour stop and my tours, I meet every single person, and I talk to every single person every night, and there's so much that goes on, and so many of the you know, we don't really have like we don't like skim the waters, and so it was really you know, there were sun nights whorts just like needed to like let it go because I was that was a way that I was able to have held space for someone in a moment, but perhaps not continued to hold their offering to me, which I was so grateful that they felt they could share with me. And so I've been having a lot of cries lately and just been like the tears they shed and shed.
Speaker 4: That's so beautiful. I feel the same way I really tried to see. I love the definition of emotions, energy and motion, and I truly believe that emotions are not supposed to stay in you. It creates stagnancy. And you know, in an irate it talks about how when you allow emotions to stay stagnant and to be held in different parts of your body, it's actually the beginning of a lot of disease in the body and a lot of discomfort in the body, well, disase like disease exactly. And so I see, I really try and recognize the emotions I have, and I think that's why I do cry a lot, because a lot of my emotions come out and crying, whether I'm happy or sad or angry, it's just it pours out of me in that way, and I'm not in control of that. And I've started to see it as a really beautiful thing because I do think it allows that space for you to I mean, if you're at full capacity, how can you hold space for anybody else? And how can you hold space for even yourself because you're not allowing anything else to enter and release through your body.
Speaker 2: It's just what you need, like some people might need to.
Speaker 1: Like sweat every day exactly, like to have released that like and have that way that their body is able to shed experience or emotions or whatever, and they just that might be the relationship they have with the water and their body. Like, but you know, we are again. It's like when you think about these tears, when you think about the sweat, the whatever it is, it's like the earth needs the rain, then you do, and and the earth needs the rain like we need these moments of downpour and and that's what cleans our earth truly, Like that is what makes you know, if we didn't have these ways of like street cleaning or whatever, the streets would become clean by the rain that fell.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's just amazing. Love our bodies, their human bodies is just so amazing.
Speaker 2: I know, they really are.
Speaker 3: So much.
Speaker 1: And if you have decided that your body is the world, all you notice is how the body behaves like the world. And all you'll want to do is keep putting your body in the real world with real people. You know, we talked about that so much on the tour. It's like, especially lately online, it's like if you are always online, you will always feel like there's no possibility towards okayness does no matter how many amazing people like and I say that as someone who like, I'm so grateful to be able to offer in so many ways that you do, and I know your husband does. Just offer help and support to people via the online world and at the same time being incessantly online, you will never feel like you're going to be okay. But I guarantee you, if you go somewhere and you sit shoulder to shoulder with somebody, you will feel that like there is this possibility for okay.
Speaker 2: Human just will.
Speaker 1: Because the like that's when we remember that, like, oh, I'm a flower and they're a flower, and we're just growing and it's just this thing and we're all in this together and we're these a live things in this a live place, and we're not like at the mercy of the worst image we saw today on our phone.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and that interaction between us as I always think about this, you know, back in the day, you'd go to your friend's house when you need to talk to them or when you're upset, and now we communicate even it kind of lessens the impact and the ability to connect through a vessel rather than being and seeing and exchanging energy and exchanging eye contact and physical touch and human interaction is what we thrive on. We all need to be around each other to collectively give and receive energy from each other, and I think it brings so much ease when you're able to do that on a regular basis.
Speaker 2: I totally agree. I totally agree.
Speaker 4: My last question to you is what kind of crier are you? So I have broken down the crier it's more of a fun thing. But there's the loud ugly crier, which is not ugly, but you know, the ugly cari, the ugly cris everything is just it's all now and yeah. Then there's the breathless, where it's it's like just the there's the sniffler and snotty, which is there is water coming out from every hole possible. There's the high pitch where suddenly they go like three octaves higher you just don't know. And then there's I'm not crying, you're crying. I have something in my eye, right, And then there's a silent cry where they go away they come back and you wouldn't even know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, which one do you think you are?
Speaker 1: I think for that silent one, there's also the person that like they go away, they cry, and you wouldn't be able to tell if their eyes weren't red.
Speaker 3: Yes, like you're just like.
Speaker 2: Like okay, and they're just like no, like I'm fine.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I feel that I'm like maybe more the silent cry, but not in like a hiding way, you know, where it's like I think that I just like go and it's like I have like just like tears streaming down my face.
Speaker 2: And it's just like and and again.
Speaker 1: Maybe it's because I like have yet to reach the point as somebody who's like a reformed not a good crier, and I'm trying to be a better crier.
Speaker 2: I don't know if I've reached the point.
Speaker 1: Of like cause the ugly cry is where we all want to be because like that's like that I had like free to just like emote like what I like what my body is like telling me, and like I have no care or like in the world for how this appears.
Speaker 2: Like the ugly cry is goals.
Speaker 4: No, I feel like from the being around your presence and the way that you speak, I'm not I can only imagine you're one of those artistic, beautiful criers where it's just like the tears just slowly generally roll down your face. It's like a romantic movie.
Speaker 1: Where you're just like it's like you're and you're staring out the window and you're just like.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and then your your poetry book is like playing in the background.
Speaker 3: Like that's how I feel you'd be.
Speaker 2: That's also how.
Speaker 1: Like a sociopath is gonna cry right like that, Like you could have like framed like oh this like nice poet or like a villain like who's like you know, it's a just about to get revenge and is like saying goodbye to like this cul world.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: So but I think that like the ugly cry is goals, and I don't think I get ugly cry often enough.
Speaker 2: I think I more have the like.
Speaker 1: They're just like the tears are streaming down and I'm like and I'm like, you know, letting them, so I'm not doing the like I want to hide it. But it is just this like kind of like silent outpour, and I'm.
Speaker 3: Like, okay, like you know, well, remember love.
Speaker 4: Your book definitely brought many tears to my eyes, but in a really cleansing and uplifting way. So thank you for that. Thank you for all the work that you do. Thank you for writing such beautiful words and for anybody who needs to understand themselves better, needs a really good cry, please check out the book. It is honestly one of the few books lately that I haven't been able to put down.
Speaker 3: It's just it's beautiful. So thank you so much for being Thank you so much, Thank you so much, and look forward to many more conversations.
Speaker 2: Thank you, and thank you so much.