Speaker 1: Thanks everybody for joining us in our Park Copper episode. We've just watched Gotta Kick It Up, and we are, of course now going to be joined by Daisy herself Camille Quaddy.
Speaker 2: Okay, can you hear me? Hi?
Speaker 3: Yay, thank you so much for joining us.
Speaker 4: We just finished our episode of watching and getting to see Gotta Kick It Up.
Speaker 2: Oh my goodness, remind me tell me all about it.
Speaker 5: When's the when's the last time you saw it in a while?
Speaker 4: Was it around the time it premiered on the channel? I mean that's for us our movie. That's kind of the last time we really watched our own ones.
Speaker 6: I think I saw it more recently than that.
Speaker 2: When one of my friends, little girl was six and now she's twelve, so probably six years ago, okay. But she's like, she came over to my house. We were making cookies, and she's like, she's like, I really want to watch your Disney movie. And I was like, okay. She's like, my mom didn't get it because it costs money. And I was like, okay, all right, she couldn't pay the two dollars and ninety nine cents to like yet my movie. I repeat that and I put it I put her on blast on Instagram.
Speaker 4: She was, I love that. Well, now it's on Disney Plus and so that more people can stream it. More people can you know, whether they take a trip down memory lane nostalgia or watch it for the first time. If they bring it on, they're gonna love Gotta Kick It Up. It's the dance version of it.
Speaker 1: It was my first time ever seeing Gotta Kick It Up. So I'm in, oh, how did you find it? It was so we just did our talk and our real reviews. First of all, I thought the acting all the way around was great.
Speaker 3: Absolutely.
Speaker 5: I had a little trouble reconciling the fact that you were all supposed to be in middle school.
Speaker 4: And by little he means never got over it every single thing, and you got through me.
Speaker 5: You're supposed to be like thirteen and you're dating the guy in the car. It's that, I mean that, it threw me a little bit, right.
Speaker 6: She was picking me up, and it's like.
Speaker 4: Yes, and why and you're you're having a lot of alone time with him, a lot of alone time and why you guys couldn't have just been ninth graders in high school?
Speaker 5: Yeah, well, or even tenth grade or eleventh grades.
Speaker 4: Which would have just fixed the problem tenth graders, Yeah, would have just fixed the problem right from the start.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's so funny because I had originally auditioned for it and they were going for like way younger group, and then they changed it to go older, and then they were like, no, we want to go younger. Still cast me, by the way, I was like, okay, I mean, do they know how old I am? I was twenty five playing fourteen fourteen?
Speaker 3: Yeah, but there were.
Speaker 2: Real fourteen year olds in the cast?
Speaker 3: Oh really?
Speaker 5: Okay?
Speaker 4: We ranged, well, who would it have been, because Sabrina was probably what closer to seventeen eighteen?
Speaker 2: Well, I think America was the oldest of everybody.
Speaker 6: She was seventeen, so Sabrina must have been.
Speaker 2: Like sixteen sixteen okay, and then oh gosh, what was her name?
Speaker 3: Oh wait? Was it Joanna?
Speaker 2: Johanna?
Speaker 3: Okay, there we go.
Speaker 6: Yeah, so she was really fourteen?
Speaker 5: Oh oh wong.
Speaker 2: And it was so funny because like I did, I did the what did we We had, you know, months of rehearsal and stuff, months of dance rehearsal and then like day one of dance rehearsals I was so freaked out that they're going to find out my real age.
Speaker 5: Wait, they didn't know? Did you lie about your age?
Speaker 2: I didn't tell anybody.
Speaker 5: I just didn't.
Speaker 3: But I didn't tell you, just didn't say yeah you did.
Speaker 4: You didn't walk on first dance that being like twenty five year old here, no older than everyone.
Speaker 2: Firstly we did a dancing and I'm like, okay, we got to go to school.
Speaker 6: And I was like, oh, this is okay, fine, I'll go with everybody.
Speaker 2: So I went into this room with the teacher and I, you know, take out your work and I was like, oh, I don't have any work and they're like, oh, you don't. And I was like, I'm done with school. Was like, oh, you're done with high school. And I'm like in college. And everyone was like what how old are you? And like the girls like the chatter chatter of every yeah, old enough to give you advice on.
Speaker 4: Boys, Oh man, where you should go to school and how what your GPA should be to get into good college.
Speaker 5: It's so funny that they still thought you needed to go to school.
Speaker 4: You look very You didn't look extraordinary older, you looked a little bit more mature. Your storyline was more mature than everyone else's. But at the same time, I didn't look crazy at all, look great.
Speaker 2: But high school would have been better, for sure, it would.
Speaker 3: Have been better.
Speaker 5: Absolutely, I agree. So you said you had months of dance rehearsal.
Speaker 6: I think it was one month, not like months.
Speaker 2: Yeah, one month.
Speaker 1: Okay, do you remember the casting process? Did you have to dance during the audition?
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, yes, yeah, yes, a lot.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 2: And it's so funny because the choreographer she like, I am not a dancer. I can dance, but I'm not a dance I know my body, but like eight counts.
Speaker 3: That's a whole new concept.
Speaker 2: Sixteen, I'm like, whoa.
Speaker 6: All of a sudden, I remember, my brain's here and everyone's bodies moving, and my body's kind of moving from my brain just stopped.
Speaker 2: I'm like, I don't know.
Speaker 6: So they said, they're like, you were the only.
Speaker 2: One who would like leave after like they did something. Everyone else's chit chat and do their thing, and you were off in the corner, just like practicing and practicing and practicing. It's like, well, yeah, because I don't want to, like I want to pull out of myself.
Speaker 5: They all got it.
Speaker 2: I didn't, but because of that, they said, you know, there was something about you that we just knew was.
Speaker 3: Like totally you know, you really wanted it.
Speaker 4: I was telling Will while we were watching it, You're I loved at the beginning of all your guys's competition times how they always had a close up of you right before.
Speaker 3: I said, Camille nailed Like that's what you.
Speaker 4: Want a dancer to do, is go out there and be so fierce and so confident. You nailed it every time of what you want a dancer to mentally, where you want them to be mentally before the music hits.
Speaker 3: I mean, oh, oh my god, that's so good. So good?
Speaker 2: Are you a dancer? I am?
Speaker 5: I am? And she's a coach of like a team that does exactly this like this, Actually she has nationals tomorrow.
Speaker 2: Wait, so I was. I saw that on Instagram. I wasn't sure what. So you coach the cheers.
Speaker 4: Like, uh, they're not cheered, They're danced exactly what you guys were doing that This is my life. The team at the end, I don't know if you really got to film with them, but the Los Alamito's team they're called in the movie Red Devils. They're actually the Griffins, but in the movie for whatever, they're called the Red Devils.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: That's actually a team that my girlfriend coaches and my girls sometimes compete against them.
Speaker 3: They're a great team. So yeah, it's I mean, this is like my wheelhouse, my wheelhouse completely.
Speaker 1: That's so funny, Sabrina, who wins between your team and your friend's team, who usually wins?
Speaker 4: It's probably a tossup. We're in different divisions back in the day. I mean, like I said, they are a phenomenal team. They were definitely ranking you know, us or them, us or them type of thing. You know, there's a lot of a lot of good teams in the area.
Speaker 5: So but yeah, so Sabrina watched this as a coach.
Speaker 7: Dancing as a coach for us, was like, yeah, that's what I was gonna ask who the choreographer was, because they clearly did not go into the world of this dancing to get a choreographer.
Speaker 4: They must have just gotten some someone from you know, the industry.
Speaker 2: She was in the dance world.
Speaker 3: Oh, she was, Oh, now I'm probably gonna get myself in trouble.
Speaker 2: She wasn't in the cheer world though.
Speaker 5: Was it Liz Imperio.
Speaker 2: Yes, how did you know this?
Speaker 3: Imperio?
Speaker 5: I know everything. It's our producers and fact checkers inside.
Speaker 4: Liz Imperial I know her. Yes, she's not in this actual world. She's in the dance world studio, dance studio.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, exactly. She's very like jazz like.
Speaker 3: Yes, which is not what you guys were supposed to be doing.
Speaker 4: So, but that's okay because that's not That's not the worst thing that happened. The worst thing that happened to you guys is the bows that they look like they belonged on presence. They were not this is they were not a traditional bow here.
Speaker 3: I got nothing they put like these curly you.
Speaker 5: Got nothing for this interview.
Speaker 6: We were poor, we were the underdogs.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but you could go get a spool of ribbon at Michael's and have been better off than the things they put in your guys's hair.
Speaker 3: That well, that upset me for you guys.
Speaker 5: They couldn't get fifteen dollars at the end of the thing. They're poor, they were underprivileged a box.
Speaker 4: No, that didn't That didn't put off poor. That put off just missed the marks.
Speaker 5: The sport. Did you do you remember meeting the rest of your cast. Were you all cast together? Were they putting Disney's always notorious in the audition process for putting groups together, and were they doing that or were they casting you one at a time?
Speaker 2: They put me together with a whole bunch of different people, and then, like I said, none of the people they put me that they paid me with for the people that ended up being in the show.
Speaker 4: Interesting, okay, yeah, did you audition for any other characters or just Daisy?
Speaker 2: Just Daisy?
Speaker 3: Okay, okay? And then wow, I let go of it.
Speaker 2: I actually was in LA at the time when I something. I can't remember exactly, but I think they were like, yeah, that's not gonna it's not going your way. So okay, fine, went back to.
Speaker 6: New York and then they were like, just.
Speaker 2: Kidding, you booked it, come back and I wow. So I crashed on a friend's like couch. Actually I was in their laundry room in on a mattress while I was shooting. Got to kick it out.
Speaker 6: Oh my, I shut up with a box. I was like, okay, in a suitcase.
Speaker 2: I was like, here we go.
Speaker 4: And how long was the filming process for you guys? So you said about a month, a couple of weeks of rehearsal, and then was it yeah, six to eight weeks for filming.
Speaker 2: Then it was yeah, probably around six to eight weeks. I want to say, I maybe it was so long ago. I have no idea. Yeah, right, I do you remember they did put me up in a hotel for a little bit, so I don't want to bad mouth them, but yes, they put me in a hotel for a bit. And then and then I was in I think movie for the training. I wasn't in a hotel for the shooting. I was.
Speaker 1: Now, was this one of your first big things? Because I read online that you had a holding deal?
Speaker 2: Was the first?
Speaker 5: But you had a holding deal for a TV show during your first ever pilot season? Is that right? Yes?
Speaker 6: So it was all together at the same time.
Speaker 2: Actually it was I had gosh, how did it go down? I was basically called into Warner Brothers and had a meeting with the presidents, had a casting there, and she I was like, you know, at the time, I was like Dawson's Creek Felicity, that would be my dream, right, see you for comedy? And I was like really, yeah, I'm like, oh gosh, but you know, felicity, I love to cry, and they're like, well, we really think you're pretty funny.
Speaker 6: It's like, okay, so it's so funny how it goes.
Speaker 2: Down, like I've never like this stuff doesn't happen to me now, Like back then, I like took I should taken full advantage of it, but I was so like, you know, like, oh, go at the wind, I have no idea what's happening. You should have had a real direct point, be like no, this is what I want to do.
Speaker 5: But like, but who, we never do that when we're that young in the industry.
Speaker 3: No, you just take guidance and just yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, before you're an adult, you assume adults know what they're doing, and then when you become an adult, you're like, oh, none of them have any none of us know what we're doing.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So the opportunity I'm in this room and they're offering me something like I should have just been like great, yeah, let's talk about it, like great, you know, like who gets that. I've never acted like I didn't. This is what I wanted to do, and it worked really hard to get to this place. Right. I have never physically been on a set, you know, So it was like insane and yeah, and that's how the Holding deal came about.
Speaker 1: Yeah, was it for a show with with Bob Saggat, Kat Dennings and Bree Larsen.
Speaker 2: And Free Larson. Yeah. So, so I had already done the Disney movie at the time, because oh gosh, I need, I need, I need the names. Who else was on there? Who was on a Disney motocross movie?
Speaker 3: Love that movie?
Speaker 5: Somebody who's in motocross?
Speaker 3: Love that movie.
Speaker 5: We haven't done that one yet.
Speaker 3: We haven't done it yet.
Speaker 2: What's his name?
Speaker 5: Who did he play? He played the bad boy Riley Smith.
Speaker 6: Yes, do somebody in your ear telling movies?
Speaker 5: Do we have? We have? We have literally a team of people that are googling as we go.
Speaker 2: You're like, I'm like, you know, you're a genius, or you have somebody whispering.
Speaker 4: Our producers are all like us Disney fanatics, d coms our life, like literally like they are so well knowledged.
Speaker 5: Yeah, they're so well versed in the Disney language. Anything you need to know, We'll have it for you in two seconds. Yeah.
Speaker 2: He had just done the Motocross movie and it was went huge and I told him oh, I just did this Disney movie. He's like oh, he's like wait, you wait. He's like, you are never going to be able to walk into a into a mall without being like mocked. I'm like, no, was stop and he's like, no, I'm serious, you have no idea, and yeah, he was right.
Speaker 5: Was it true?
Speaker 2: Oh it was. It was crazy. It was like next.
Speaker 4: Level the fandom of the era that d coms were. That's yeah, that was it.
Speaker 6: You were in people's living room, like twenty four to seven and.
Speaker 4: They replayed them over over over, yeah.
Speaker 3: Over again. So if you did catch it the first time, you got it.
Speaker 5: But there also was no social media. There was no there was no YouTube, there was no anything. Kids came home. It a monoculture. All the kids watched the same Disney Channel movies.
Speaker 1: So it wasn't oh we there was fifty thousand kids that watched this on their phone. This was millions of kids that would watch at the same time when it was on TV.
Speaker 5: I mean, it's so different than than it is now.
Speaker 2: I know. I'm like, gosh, if the Instagram would have, you know, been around then, I'm like, I would have a million followers maybe easily.
Speaker 5: I mean that's yeah, that's absolutely. I want to ask you a little bit about Susan Egan. Yes, what was it like working with her? She since you know, obviously she was on Broadway and had that kind of whole life before her where she was Bell and Beauty and the Beast and was nominated for a Tony Award and I mean a Disney legend even at the time. So what was that like working with her?
Speaker 2: She was awesome. I mean, she obviously like such a veted actor at the time, and it still is, but I'm saying, and then for me and the fact that she's Broadway and Broadway was also a dream of the mind, even though I'm not a great singer, but it was still a dream of mine. She was just really cool. She was She brought like a calm to set and when she, you know, came on board, she very much commanded without I think she was like, I don't.
Speaker 3: Know how old was she, Mama bear?
Speaker 1: Yeah she was, I don't know how old she was? Twenty seven twenty seven. No, I'm kidding, I'm kidding, I have not.
Speaker 3: Did you see how he just got me? I looked at my chat going did they just tell us that's he was just like.
Speaker 5: She was born in nineteen seventy, so she was thirty two.
Speaker 3: Okay, okay, yeah too.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: So you were right in the middle of her and some of the girls, you know, age wise, and she was probably more of a mama bear on set, I would imagine for sure.
Speaker 2: Yeah, for sure, and her character kind of you know, encompassed that and totally my character didn't really like her very much at.
Speaker 5: First, but then you learned, you learned to trust and love so much. Gotta love the Disney Channel. Yeah, lied, yeah, yes, Chewie, let's leave the girl's locker room.
Speaker 4: You never, you never apologized for blatantly pinning this whole, you know, end of the World scene against her, and then she's like, actually, no, I am not doing that. I've passed on the job. And you're never, none of you are like sorry about that. We might have overreacted a tiny bit. You kind of were like, oh, cool, done and done. What about Megan Cole? Did you did you get a chance to work with her a lot? She was the one that you know, was the inspiration of the movie. Did she was she around set at all?
Speaker 2: No? No?
Speaker 5: Okay, this was it was based on a true story it's based on.
Speaker 1: I had no idea named Megan Cole, who was one of your producers.
Speaker 3: It's all about learning. We're just learning. We're just here to teach you.
Speaker 5: We do the deep dives. We do the deep dives.
Speaker 6: And guys, this was like almost twenty years ago.
Speaker 4: Oh longer, it was twenty one years ago.
Speaker 3: It came in two thousand and two. Twenty two years ago.
Speaker 2: Only two yeah, twenty five then, okay, because that would make me, oh, well kind of maybe I was twenty four.
Speaker 1: All right, I think you and I are this. I was born in seventy six.
Speaker 5: I wasn't. Okay, just kidding, I was okay, yeah, so I think so. Yeah, I was. I was. We were twenty six.
Speaker 6: We were yeah, okay you play six.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think so. Oh my gosh, I was twenty four when Boy ended in two thousand.
Speaker 2: Maybe when I was shooting it, I was twenty five.
Speaker 5: Okay that yeah, that makes sense.
Speaker 2: Megan Cole got to kick it out.
Speaker 5: Hold on, are googling your own movie?
Speaker 3: I love it.
Speaker 2: You come up with these facts, and I just you know, I'm sure I met her, you.
Speaker 1: Know, yes, Megan, Megan Cole, this was one of the first movies that the first d COM's and one of the only dcoms that was quote unquote based on a true story. So she went to Harvard and went and then started a dance team that went on to come second with the Nationals all that stuff.
Speaker 5: So this is this is based on her life.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much for telling me the situation.
Speaker 3: You are well damped. We're here to educate on dcom of knowledge.
Speaker 5: You are so much fun. Okay, wait, getting back to the cast. What was it?
Speaker 1: Did you all get along? I mean, the age difference obviously didn't seem to matter because they didn't seem to know it first. So were you all close?
Speaker 2: I mean, yes, we totally all got along. But you know, of course I had some which I'm not going to say out loud because I don't know if he's going to watch this, and I don't want them to know, but there were some little d was that I was like, okay, listen, yeah.
Speaker 6: This is your number one like job. Let's not behave like that.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 5: Yeah. He was the guy who played Chew. He wasn't it, oh Chew?
Speaker 2: He was to do no Chew.
Speaker 5: Listen.
Speaker 2: He actually I had to put him in his place because he would get like, you know, try to be a little too methan and like want to call me now if he watches this, that's fine, I'm calling you out. He would get so like he would want to call me up and like chat at night, and I'm like, hey, did you need something?
Speaker 6: No, I just wanted to talk.
Speaker 3: Because again, he was younger. Was he a minor?
Speaker 2: He wasn't.
Speaker 5: Okay, he was driving. Yeah, so he's hopefully and he was at least eighteen.
Speaker 6: He was definitely in his twenties for sure.
Speaker 4: Okay, okay, right, so yeah, because I was going to say that would have been incredibly inappropriate.
Speaker 2: And You're like, but no, And I had a boyfriend at the time, and I'm like, its likeird, I'm like, okay, you're good. I'm gonna hang up, see you on set tomorrow. But like he continued to do, I'm like, dude, I don't cross that line.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we're working, We're working.
Speaker 5: That's that's it good.
Speaker 2: It's amazing though, how many guys. Sorry to say this, but it's true. Male actors are really funny.
Speaker 1: Some of us are funny, some of us are are Yeah, I mean, I see what you're saying. There's there's you know, what it is is the and I'm not saying this is good or bad, it's just what happens. There is and they're trying to force an instant familiarity, right, So it's like the second you're on set, you guys are that you always hear your family, you're in this together, you're whatever it is. It's just it's that kind of you're thrown together and and so there is that kind of yeah, that's not a that's not a good thing. That's it's gotten better, I think, but especially back in the day, it was that like, well, we're playing boyfriend and girlfriend. It's like, right, that's not how that works, right, Right, So I'm dying to know who the diva was though, but I won't.
Speaker 3: I won't, nah nah, I'd like to keep that facade going.
Speaker 2: Because they're all great.
Speaker 6: They're all great now.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 4: It must have been really cool, though, to work with an almost all Latino cast that had to have felt, you know, especially being a you know, a Latina actress and not at that time, not a huge amount of roles out there that was especially starring roles of things that must have felt really cool on set to know that it was predominantly, you know, a Latino cast.
Speaker 3: That's that's got to be. How did that feel when you were doing the.
Speaker 2: Filming, you know, I think like when I was filming and I didn't take as much of appreciation for that as later when I realized that Disney. This was the first Latin movie that Disney, all Latin movie that Disney made, So looking at it like that in retrospect, I was really appreciative of that, But because it was my first projects, it didn't really resonate then. But shortly after, I mean, when the movie came out is what I was like, Oh, this is this is actually really this is like a step in different direction that Disney hasn't taken.
Speaker 3: For the industry.
Speaker 4: Yes, absolutely, I mean that's actually a running kind of not theme, but a situation that a lot of our actresses. We just talked to Christina Vidal and I said, you know, you you were so huge in this movie, and you know, and she goes, At that time, I was just excited to be working those big, big time messaging that you don't realize you're getting a chance to be a part of doesn't really hit you when you're that young.
Speaker 3: You know, and I love that you.
Speaker 4: Disney gave you the opportunity to be at the beginning of that big movement. You know, it ended up being huge, and you know, Selena and all these movies were coming out right around that time that were just awesome and great for women that are like you, to know there's there is a spot for me one day. If I have that dream, I can you know, nothing, nothing's gonna pull me back. That's just incredible. Disney does that for us. I mean, thank you, Disney. I mean that's just thank you Disney for hearing us and giving us a chance.
Speaker 3: Give us a chance. Disney. Yes you can, Yes you can, girl, get it.
Speaker 5: Do you still talk to anybody from the cast?
Speaker 2: You know? We I commune sometimes a little bit on Instagram, like back and forth, but I don't really. And I did see America when I was out in New York shooting a show and she was out there shooting. I can't remember what she was shooting at the time. But but it's been a while, you know.
Speaker 6: Now she's in LA and it's.
Speaker 3: Tough, Yeah, schedules, so you're not in La.
Speaker 2: In La, I moved to Nashville.
Speaker 3: Now I'm gonna be there in a couple of weeks. I love Nashville.
Speaker 5: Everybody moved to Nashville.
Speaker 3: It's so fun.
Speaker 2: It's kind of like when you look at the price difference between California and Nashville, you're like.
Speaker 4: Okay, and if you go the the vibe in Nashville is just the people in Nashville are wonderful.
Speaker 3: I'm so glad. So you've you've since been on.
Speaker 4: TV shows like Raising Dad, Las Vegas, The Good Doctor, The Rookie. I mean, all of this fantasy. Yes, I don't even know how I almost s get past that one. The list goes on, but I need you to tell me how often are girls coming up and going boom.
Speaker 3: Gotta kick it Up? Is that that's got to still appen?
Speaker 2: Not gonna lie.
Speaker 6: It's either like Gotta Kick It Up or prison Break?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 5: Okay, well two very similar projects.
Speaker 3: Yeah, obviously the same story.
Speaker 2: So similar, right, I mean like hearing hearing for my man. No, it was when I can tell I said, oh, so how old are you and they'll tell me their age and I'm like, because they people will either be like wait a minute, I know you, I know you, or they'll be like you exactly like this girl from this easy.
Speaker 4: And how you are supposed to respond to that either way is so awkward. Yes, in fact, I am I played Daisy.
Speaker 2: Yes.
Speaker 3: Wait.
Speaker 2: Yes. The people are like, how do I know you? I know you from somewhere, and I'm like, oh, I don't know. And if I'm with my mom, oh, but she's always like have you ever seen she's an actress? But for me, I'm like, I don't know, Like, well, I know you from somewhere, like you are so familiar with.
Speaker 4: The resume, like you I understand that is That's that's awesome. That's awesome that there's a million different places where they could recognize from you. You've got You've done such great work. We love got to kick it up. This was you were such a standout star in this movie.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, it was amazing.
Speaker 4: Honestly, I can't believe that you when you first started, I was in shock. I tried to hold my face together that you said you didn't really have any dance training. To me, you look like you had easily to say amongst your cast most dance training.
Speaker 3: That's what it looked like to me.
Speaker 5: And I'm a dancer.
Speaker 4: Yes, you have a free will of being able to move your body in a wonderful way. You could, you had rhythm, and you know, it was it was great. Were you like a super super trained dancer.
Speaker 3: Probably, you know. I'm not going to try to.
Speaker 4: Lie, but you are great to hear you say you don't have any training. Holy count now I've blown away, blown away.
Speaker 3: Absolutely.
Speaker 6: I'm also goofy, and you know.
Speaker 2: What that is.
Speaker 3: I'm a goober, super goof So.
Speaker 2: I can't like, wait, what's the goober? The same thing?
Speaker 4: No, I was joking. I'm like, like a dof This is what I mean.
Speaker 2: The goofies. When you can when you're like you can only turn to the left and not to the right.
Speaker 3: That's a thing.
Speaker 5: Really, That's that's wasn't that? Wasn't that Zoolander? He could only turn one way?
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 5: I think that's what it was.
Speaker 1: He could only he could only turn one way. So you can can you really only like you can't spin another direction?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 2: I mean I can. It was so challenging though, so like there's one scene where I had to do like a double pirouette and it was to the right because everyone else is to the right.
Speaker 4: I say, what you're saying okay, so you so I didn't. I've never heard it be called a goofy. But some people are a right turner and some people are a left turner, meaning what is in front of your you know, direction.
Speaker 3: I see what you're saying. So you're a lefty.
Speaker 2: I'm a lefty?
Speaker 5: So am I?
Speaker 3: I am a lefty?
Speaker 2: Are you?
Speaker 5: I'm so sorry you are too?
Speaker 3: Yeah? That my natural way.
Speaker 5: I'm married a lefty. What is wrong with you people?
Speaker 4: I'm a lefty. The natural way for me to turn is a turn right is a little bit more, is a little bit harder, but you can't. With training, you can break that boundary. But yeah, I mean if you're kind of just starting to train, it is definitely hard and.
Speaker 2: I would fall out and fall Like, for a double, I'm like a peer up, fine, but double, I'm like, oh my gosh.
Speaker 4: Yeah, doubles are tough. It's a it's a definitely even more advanced skill.
Speaker 2: So can we just talk about the most awkward dance move in that in the whole movie, which.
Speaker 1: Is the split between the two girls where you're doing this thing and one of them is kind of a little bit wrong.
Speaker 2: This is the most uncool like move I try. I'm like, can we please not put this in? Like it's not good?
Speaker 5: Not good?
Speaker 2: Like one person.
Speaker 1: Big yes, they had the different heights so like yeah, and they weren't moving the same way, so it kind of wasn't working.
Speaker 2: It was like it made they made me feel like I was like five hundred pounds, like trying to let me in my skirts.
Speaker 8: Like you're just like but you're just spread eagle just moving around.
Speaker 1: I have to ask, do you have any what's the one story that pops in your head from shooting this movie? Is there something that you instantly go back to and you remember a certain day or a certain thing happening.
Speaker 2: It's just the dancing in the classroom that was just I mean not that anything like bad happened, but man, we it was just so the dialogue was awkward and dated and the dance moves were just like like nobody does this in like this is just it's like you know, because because I was older, I was like, this is really like not good.
Speaker 6: Guys, you just like make this a little bit more cool.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, yeah, I thought you did that really well though.
Speaker 1: I he taps on the desk twice and you go like just one tap and You're like that's.
Speaker 5: Tight, and I was like, wait, what what's he doing?
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's tight to me.
Speaker 4: I had a moment camure where I rewound it because I was trying to find the rhythm and I couldn't hear what rhythm they were. I couldn't hear it, and I'm like thinking, oh, wow, you're off Sabrido. Your ear is not good anymore. But then I rewatched it, I'm like, well, there's no actual rhythm.
Speaker 3: Happening, which they easily could have given you. Boom boom, but u boom.
Speaker 4: I mean, they could have easily given you something and for you to dance to would have been a lot easier. Latin rhythms are awesome and very easy to move to, and they could have done that, but I guess they did it.
Speaker 2: There's this guy on Instagram. I think it's like CJ or CC something. He like finds movies and movie scenes and he does some like he mixed them and he puts himself as the character and he did want for Gott to kick it up. He did and he did. That scene was like, right, your worst nightmare.
Speaker 4: Out of all the scenes, that one it could have been the split one it could have, and there was.
Speaker 2: Another this guy had we do. It was like kind of a punky Brewster character, like I never grew up, and I put pigtails in my hair and we revisit this got to Kick it Up scene and I start hysterically. I'm like a little girl like with pigtails in but I'm older, but I never looks like the character.
Speaker 6: Never grew up.
Speaker 2: And so I'm revisiting that scene and I'm like, I start crying, and I'm.
Speaker 6: Like, I just I just can't catch the meat.
Speaker 2: I couldn't because it was true.
Speaker 4: It was like well because there was no there was really no rhythm to catch.
Speaker 5: No.
Speaker 1: Was there ever music on when I mean when you're doing the dance scenes. Was the type of thing where they're playing music and then stopping it.
Speaker 5: Or they they.
Speaker 1: Did, so you actually at least had something during the dance scenes actually dance to.
Speaker 3: But did they play it really low? Was it played really low or did they play it at full volume? Okay, that's nice.
Speaker 2: I mean that was fun, like any of those dance sequences that we did, like out in the Corral whatever it was.
Speaker 3: The rally, yeah, the one in one of my favorites.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was like like like you really felt the energy of everybody. And then when you actually had the dance competitions, Man, we watched.
Speaker 6: Those other dancers. I was like, okay, so those are.
Speaker 5: Real reaction shots, real reaction shots of you.
Speaker 2: They are seriously really good, just like dumbed down. They're dancing a little bit. So are we supposed to be the stars of this?
Speaker 4: I'm yeah, that's so funny if it makes you feel better. Will couldn't tell the difference with not being a dancer. He couldn't tell the difference of like level of you know, of.
Speaker 2: Difficulty, that level split where.
Speaker 5: Maybe the level of the split. I could see that. I even I got the split. But the levels of difficulty twenty two years later, with all the work you've done in your career.
Speaker 2: Which is twenty two years later, Yeah.
Speaker 5: Twenty two years later, where do you rank? Got to kick it up on your resume?
Speaker 2: You know, I always put it in the front, like at the top, because for me to have that be my first experience, to have my fans be kids was so cool and I just absolutely love that, Like I just have a mentoring spirit anyways, and so to know that these.
Speaker 6: Like I was inspiring kids at a younger.
Speaker 2: Age to like, you know, do dance or you know, so many kids will come up and be like, oh I was I learned your routine and this and that, and I want to be an actor, I want to do this, and it was it's really it was inspirational to me as much as it was to them. Yeah, and then yeah, and then and then the rest of the rest of them followed. But that was a really special one for me.
Speaker 3: I love that.
Speaker 4: I love that because you're right, for so many people, that movie was incredibly inspiring, and whether it was to start dance, whether it was you know, them being a Latina themselves.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're like, oh I could see me there. I found me in that and yeah, yeah, you don't realize it. But twenty years ago, like, there wasn't a.
Speaker 3: Lot of that, No, there wasn't it, especially for kids.
Speaker 2: What were kids watching, Like, was Dora the Explorer around there? Maybe, But that's Dora the Explore that's a part.
Speaker 3: Two, right, right, Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So to have this and have it be about you know, cheering and dance and you know, I don't know, I think it was. It was a movement that was kind of ahead of its time.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Disney could do that.
Speaker 3: Disney.
Speaker 5: Disney was always at the forefront of all of these things when it came to inclusion and it was just girl power stuff we watched with the Cheetah Girls and all that. Disney always seems to be at the forefront of those movements, which I mean, what more could you ask for? Because it's targeted to kids, so they're targeting that generation. I mean, it's really.
Speaker 4: I mean, my one of my favorite messages was the two messages I just took again hearing it, you know, just recently rewatching it was you know, the way that you were put in a position to choose, you know, somebody who you really cared for, or to go after your own dream and not you know, and someone trying to trying to make you, force you to make a certain decision, and you make your own I love that you had your own mind, your own dreams, things that you wanted and he didn't stop you. And then her saying it's there's something different about the best and your best, and I you know, being a mom now it's like, yes, yes, baby, did you hear that? The best or your best?
Speaker 5: Honey?
Speaker 3: Right, that's right.
Speaker 5: I love it so fun. I love it. I have one more technical question about the film, and I was just wondering if this bumped you at all, because did me a little bit. Your character is clearly the star of the movie. You and and Susan Egan's characters are kind of the driving force of the movie. They seem to show everybody else's family life and not mine, but yours and not yours.
Speaker 2: That's really interesting.
Speaker 1: I know, did you ever did you think about that as you were shooting the movie, Like why, I mean, they don't show your parents, they don't or anybody any kind of figures that in your life.
Speaker 5: It's just Chewy.
Speaker 2: I didn't. I didn't. I thought about it where I'm like, yeah, everybody knows about my family, Like where are they?
Speaker 5: Yeah, not even talks about No.
Speaker 1: You mentioned the mother's mentioned once when he when you're in the car with Chewy and he says, you say, I'm thinking dropping out two essentially, and he's like, don't say anything to your Your mom already thinks I'm bad influence. So mentioned but that's that's it. But I'm sorry, change right.
Speaker 5: They stick in my head. Things like that stick in my head as I'm watching these movies.
Speaker 3: Yeah, what, let's just.
Speaker 2: Have a part two and it'll be like a daisy in her family.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that was that's our next question.
Speaker 3: Well, where would you take your character if it was a sequel?
Speaker 5: Where did you take it up to? What's going on?
Speaker 3: Gotta kick it up again?
Speaker 2: Well, what did Megan do?
Speaker 5: Megan Cole existed until ten minutes ago?
Speaker 3: You know, I made a movie about it.
Speaker 5: That's what she did.
Speaker 2: I feel like I wasn't there a character in the movie that was supposed to be her, one of the judges at the end. Maybe that gets me into the dance school.
Speaker 3: Oh oh, is that supposed to be Make sure?
Speaker 2: I think that's supposed to be her? Because that sounded familiar to me.
Speaker 4: And if I know our producers, and I think I do, they might be on that board.
Speaker 5: Right Wait a second, she's the coach. She's the coach in real life. Yeah. Yeah, well she's a coach in real life. But was she in the movie? I don't know if she was in the movie.
Speaker 4: No, but I think the character that played the woman, the judge that gave you the opportunity, you think that was her.
Speaker 6: I think that was supposed to be her like, that's supposed to be.
Speaker 5: Well, no, your coach is supposed to be her. Susan Egan is supposed to be her.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that was her storyline. She actually was a coach.
Speaker 3: She went to Harvard and then she actually took up No, okay.
Speaker 2: Let's get this producer, I think, thank you very much.
Speaker 5: I love itl Hi Camille, I'm one of the producers. I'd also like to let you know that Las Vegas, the show you're on, is a real place.
Speaker 2: You would go there.
Speaker 3: That funny guy Jensen, Oh my, well.
Speaker 5: Thank you so much for joining us. We had We really had fun watching this movie.
Speaker 3: We really did, and so fun.
Speaker 6: Thank you, Thanks for having me.
Speaker 4: Guys, you congratulations on where this movie, you know, at the start of your career then launched you into such an incredible career yourself and your your resume is and unreal and and I.
Speaker 3: Love that this movie is still dear to your heart because of your amazing experience. I love that.
Speaker 2: I mean, somewhere you'll go, I'll go somewhere and someone will notice and I'm like, oh, got to kick it up.
Speaker 1: Yes, that is awesome. Where can people find you? What are you doing now? And your socials and all that good stuff.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Social, it's a commune body on Instagram, my Facebook, on private.
Speaker 6: So it's basically I only have time for one.
Speaker 2: Sure. Sure, I tried to do the TA. Actually you can find me on TikTok, but I'm not really on there, but I could be coerced. I think I need to everyone do. All the kids are.
Speaker 3: Doing it these days, cool kids are doing so.
Speaker 2: And then I do have a show coming out, Duster HBO Max nineteen seventies vibe. It doesn't have ared it yet, but I'm almost finished with it.
Speaker 5: Did you say Duster Duster? Nice? Great title? Yeah, I love that.
Speaker 3: Well, congratulations on that.
Speaker 6: Totally different than Disney.
Speaker 5: But not quite the same vibe. I'm guessing Gotta Dust It Up wasn't one of the possible titles.
Speaker 2: No, but you know what, I also love I just let's just throw this in there. Got to Get it Up always come like. Someone was always like, were you even got to Get it Up? I'm like, no, it's that.
Speaker 5: That's a totally different movie and one that I'm sure we would have been more more appropriate.
Speaker 6: And are kids watching this?
Speaker 2: Do kids watch this podcast?
Speaker 5: It's mostly you know, we don't really do visuals too much, so we'll be We have some clips on Instagram, but for the most part, people just listen, We're fine, Oh.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well that we'll be it three times four.
Speaker 5: Fine, So good. Thank you so much for joining us.
Speaker 1: It was really nice seeing your congratulations on the new show.
Speaker 5: And everybody go follow her because she bye bye, man, She's fun.
Speaker 3: I love her. These interviews are so fun.
Speaker 4: And isn't it just awesome that so many people after and they've gone on to do these incredible careers, still have such a huge part of their heart towards matter Disney movie.
Speaker 1: It so matters to because as you, I mean, I think you've you've pointed this out a number of times. Not always, but it's usually one of, if not the first projects that you do.
Speaker 5: Absolutely and you're so excited to be on the Disney Channel and it can launch you to other things. But even if it doesn't, you still look back on.
Speaker 1: It and go, I was in this great Disney Channel movie and it was so much fun to shoot and we had but I mean, notice, and I'm hoping this never happens.
Speaker 5: We haven't had a single person come on and be like, oh man, it was the worst experience in my life shooting this movie. Oh man, when I think of of just the worst time in my life, I think of the luck of the Irish like that. You don't hear that stuff.
Speaker 4: I don't think we're going I mean, honestly, if it is or was, then they probably would just not accept this interview.
Speaker 5: Probably not to come on and be like I'm putting my Disney Channel movie on blast. I don't see that happening. It's a Disney Channel movie.
Speaker 4: No, And you love being a part of the channel. Again, the Channel, you knew as an actor that it was a great opportunity for it to launch your career is to lots of places. So it was an honor to be on the channel, you know, and it's still to this day is it is an honor to be on.
Speaker 1: It and it means something to everybody and that is the best. Well, thank you so much for joining us for this park Hopper episode with Camille Guatti, who was great. And we'd also like to remind you that you should subscribe to our feed and you should also join us on the Instagram machine. We are magical rewind pod, so check us out and uh yeah, don't forget Disney Plus, go watch.
Speaker 5: The Luck of the Irish, which is the next one we're doing, and we will see you next time, so thanks for joining us.
Speaker 3: Bye.
Speaker 5: They were in middle school, well
Speaker 2: La