Speaker 1: Loud and Quiet Presents midnight Chats.
Speaker 2: Just wait for that car to go past. Hey, there it goes. Hey, everybody, Welcome to the Loud and Quiet Interview Podcast. The reason you could hear a car going past my flat then is because, for once, the window is open, and the window is open because it's been twenty seven degrees hot here. That's not a sentence, but it's been warm and so warm. In fact, I'm wearing shorts and I think my neighbors will appreciate it. To give you an idea of the skin tone that I work with on a yearly basis, it is below white. It's paler than white and like a kind of frozen chicken. That's my vibe. And hey, it doesn't work for everyone, but I feel like I feel like it works for me. So let me tell you about who we've got on the podcast this week. We've got a bit of a special one because this one was recorded whilst we were somewhere even hotter than London is right now. We went to Primavera Sound Where, which is in Barcelona. It's a great festival and you should everyone should go. Everyone should go every year. It has an incredible lineup and consistently so, and we're very lucky.
Speaker 3: At Laden, quite weird.
Speaker 2: We're a partner of theirs and we work with them, have done for the past five years or so, so we go out each year and this year at the festival, I met up with Angel Olsen, who was playing on the final day on a Saturday, and she'd just arrived from Switzerland. She'd been driving overnight when we recorded this conversation, and we met in a hotel lobby of a hotel called the Princess, which is where all the bands stay inside a tip.
Speaker 4: Here.
Speaker 2: It's no security at the door of the Princess, so if you are a fan of bands and you go to Primavera, you can have a little look in there and you can maybe see someone as famous as Stuart Braithwaite from Monquai having a coke.
Speaker 3: You're welcome.
Speaker 2: Well, we met in this lobby and for that reason, there is quite a bit of background noise on this episode of the podcast, for which I apologize. It was hard to find a quiet corner to have a chat with Angel, but we had a fun chat. There are some laughs to be had and we were talking about, amongst other things, Angel's hobby of roller skating. She's very good at roller skating, and also some of her friends who were playing the festival. One of the great things about Primavera for the bands at least is that a lot of their mates tend to play at the same time. For Angel, that includes people like Mac DeMarco, Kevin Malby, Alex Cameron, and Whitney, all of whom gets shamelessly name dropped within our conversation. They are a group of musicians who share very similar sense of humors, if not musical styles. And that's probably all you need to know about this week's podcast. If you missed last week's with Toddler t that Greg did, I highly recommend listening back to that one in particular. It's a great episode and Toddler t It's just a really interesting guy and knows a hell of a lot about music, So please do check that out. For now, at least, here is my conversation with Angel Olsen.
Speaker 4: Last night was the first night that I actually I was pretty sober for the show, so I was like, this is a sober festival show. And then I had a little bit of wine on the bus and then went to sleep and I woke up at like nine today, so I feel great.
Speaker 3: Would tonight be a sober show?
Speaker 4: I don't know, it depends. I just wanted to take a break. We've been on the road for a long time. I might run, might do some exercises.
Speaker 3: Do you have a do you try and have a keep fit regime?
Speaker 4: On the not? Really? It's weird, you know, you drink at least. Our group is split between people who don't drink at all and people who drink every night. And some people stay up in their night owls, and I tend to stay up. But for whatever reason, I even if I stay up till four or something, I always wake up early, and at least on this tour, and I just the eating habits are very strange because you're just waiting to get to a venue. So I eat like half an avocado for breakfast, you know, and just like wait it out. And then yeah, I don't know. I think I eat less on tour because I'm just I'm like, it's like nervous energy, but I'm not nervous. It's just I'm doing a lot, so I get locked into work and I'm not as gluttonous. But everyone in the group kind of wants to exercise at some point. So it's kind of cool to have a partner in crime when you need to do that.
Speaker 3: Okay, that's good.
Speaker 2: So we're in the Prince hates is this way because you've played Primula before you?
Speaker 4: I played I played an indoor show and it was maybe maybe it was at the theater.
Speaker 2: A few years ago, just across the street there.
Speaker 4: Maybe so. And it was with Grouper and one on Molina.
Speaker 2: Oh but you've not played headlined, but it was.
Speaker 4: It was like an after show to the festival. Sure, but inside so it was cool.
Speaker 2: Okay, I think I know what you mean. I think that might have been in town. Yeah maybe so, like the Sunday after the first yeah yeah, okay, and when you stayed that time?
Speaker 3: Did you stay here in this hotel?
Speaker 4: I don't remember if I did or not.
Speaker 2: I think this is the from my understanding, this is the hotel that means you've made it if they put you in this one.
Speaker 4: Okay, this is the Princess.
Speaker 2: One, Princess Hotel, This is the Princesses.
Speaker 4: This is the where princeship base.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you have to be at a certain level to get to this one. And well, so you've made it.
Speaker 4: Congratulat lying to me. That makes me feel good. I appreciate.
Speaker 2: No, I think that is. I think that's the case. And the other thing I get the impression about pro and I've heard this from other bands that I've spoken to about it is that they kind of look after their artists. We were talking about we were just talking about that. What was the festival you've just played last night? Bond bed Bond. Yeah, that's that's your hot tip. It looks amazing from those photos you just showed.
Speaker 4: I mean, I could write a book about the perfect festival versus the imperfect festival, but I won't. I'll just say some people have it together. And I think sometimes it has to do with how small it is, and other times it has to do with how long the festival's been going on, you know, But it's it's a it's always a surprise each time for me.
Speaker 2: What are the big don't when putting on a festival? From your point of view.
Speaker 4: Oh, don't feed us the you know, they give the people that come to the festival all the all the trailers of food. That's interesting. It's like, ah, here's a nice trailer, let's put it out here, and then they feed the artists like.
Speaker 2: Fish and beans is fish and beans?
Speaker 4: No, but you know like or like it's like deep fried falaffel thing with just like that's kind of like vaguely cold, like it's kind of cold, and then like something else and they're like, why are they feeding us like cattle when we're the ones performing? This is backwards.
Speaker 2: Food is number one number one.
Speaker 4: Got to gotta get like healthy, healthy stuff, you know, stuff that anybody can eat, you know, for me, that's Mediterranean food. Just have make some make some salads, get them to bully in there for the for the artists, you know, keep them regular.
Speaker 2: What's the what's the worst thing you've a at a festival?
Speaker 4: Ah? I think probably a really bad falafel, like a falafful sandwich at a German festival, which it was like, this is isn't a falafel, This is something else and I don't know what this is, but it's not.
Speaker 3: A falafel, this unidentified food.
Speaker 4: It's gray food.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 2: In a strange way, as a non artist, this makes me feel a little better because I always thought that no, you'd be eating like well sometimes kings and queens.
Speaker 4: I don't know what it'll be like at Primavera, but bad one was great. They do take care of RRA.
Speaker 2: Okay, the food out front here is good.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, it feels good so far.
Speaker 2: So maybe if you're if you're getting if you get some gray food, just you should nip out the front. They have a good thing.
Speaker 4: It's not like the ultimate priority, but it's definitely a symbol for how things will go that day. It's like, well, if the food for us is for cattle, then what else for us is for cattle?
Speaker 2: Are we going to get the sound of a cattle?
Speaker 4: Yeah? Are we going to get the attitude of someone who hates being an engineer and hates being here and isn't paid well and just agreed to do this but is totally regretting it. Are we going to get that today? Or we're going to get but the nicest guy who somehow still loves putting on thirty shows in three days and has no problem with it. It's it's really full spectrum every single time you go to a festival.
Speaker 2: I've got a good feeling about tonight. I think it's going to be I'm going to be positive for you that it's going to be a good experience. You're on at the ray band stage.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I hope they'll give me some glasses because it's kind of sunny.
Speaker 2: Out there, and that's got to be part of the deal, isn't it, Like if you're playing in the ray band stage, you must get free ray band Well I'm going to try, surely.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think it's the best stage on the site. Have you seen that one?
Speaker 4: That's I just arrived, but I haven't been over. There are bus parked on the opposite side, so we'll see.
Speaker 3: Okay, it's like an amphitheater.
Speaker 4: I heard steps.
Speaker 2: Have you seen who you're up against tonight?
Speaker 4: I don't know who I'm up against. I don't like to view it that way. But George is playing right after us, a tribute to Bowie, and I'm like psyched that he's going to be on the stage right next to us. So that's cool.
Speaker 2: So I I have looked into who's next, who you're up against? Would you rather me not say?
Speaker 4: I mean, why are you trying to make me feel competitive? Well?
Speaker 2: I was going to ask you, do you generally when you come to a festival, do you look into that or do you just think I.
Speaker 4: Never look at the schedules. I don't. I had to look and see what day it was today. I didn't know.
Speaker 3: That's the life of a touring.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you're just going. You're just going. Every day is the same but different. You just try to find the facts. Where can I use the restroom? Where can I shower? Where can I get free food? What's the Wi Fi? Oh? The free food is gross? Where can I get better food? Okay? What time do we need to be at the stage? Is the sound engineering nice? Oh he's not nice? Oh he is? When do we need to do this? And then you just you have it all out? But you do it day by day. Why would I want to know that ahead of time? I want to know ahead.
Speaker 2: So after your set tonight, what will be what will be your plan? Are you're not that aware of who else is playing tonight after you either?
Speaker 4: You know? I know that I missed Kevin Morby and Macmarca, which is unfortunate, and that Alex Cameron is going to be playing at what is it called.
Speaker 2: He's playing in the auditorium across there.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so I want to see him, but I don't know if I can because he's so far away from where I'm going to be playing like overlapping with him, but his mother's in town and I love her. She's very different than him.
Speaker 3: Are you good friends with Alex?
Speaker 4: I love him, he's the best.
Speaker 3: And Roy Malloy.
Speaker 4: Roy malloy is number one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that good guys. I'm kind of it's a little bit of a shame that they're.
Speaker 3: In the inside auditory so too.
Speaker 2: I feel like I should be on an outside stage.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Oh they could just maybe when they're finished, I'll have them finish off my set if I feel like, you know, I don't know if they'd let me do that, but yeah, I think. I think they're really brilliant and I'm glad that we're playing this day at least, and that they're playing this festival because they totally deserve it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so you might meet up with them afterwards.
Speaker 4: Definitely, Yeah, because we're off tomorrow. I don't know what they're doing tomorrow, but.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah. That does seem to be the good thing about Freemaber is there are so many bands that kind of seem to be but buddies and they all kind of hang out. So last night at mac Show, the guys from Whitney came out and we're playing some very out of time bongos with them.
Speaker 4: Cool, but they looked good.
Speaker 3: They looked good.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they always look good. They look they look like straight out of a Levi's jeans.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, sickening.
Speaker 3: It's absolutely sickening.
Speaker 4: I think, you know. I didn't want to give this away, but me, Kevin Morby and al Kam were talking about remaking one of their videos. Yeah, so we might do that later. That's what we were going to do in Barcelona, but then I found out we're all playing at different times, so it's kind of a bummer.
Speaker 2: So Kevin played on first day and he at this point at the festival seen as we're on the last day, he is the best dressed man at the festival as so far. He was wearing a white suit with musical black musical notes, Oh nice dotted around it.
Speaker 4: It's very Elton John of him.
Speaker 2: It was it was, yeah, it was really look at you.
Speaker 4: I heard that he jumped off of a pier after his set. Is that true? Oh? He's and a security guard ran after him.
Speaker 2: I really yeah. I mean he may have done that.
Speaker 4: I like him, but maybe he was feeling he just got a wild hair.
Speaker 2: He might have done that once he got off the stage, but he must have. He would have had to run round the Back's so cool, he finished on a cover of Sweet Jane.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, and it was good. Yeah you said you said that, like it was good.
Speaker 2: It was good because it was disappointing. But I hate seeing these guys who were good at things.
Speaker 3: It makes me feel indicate me too.
Speaker 4: It's like when I see a really beautiful woman, I'm like, I hate myself. I hate myself, but not in a like I actually hate myself or that I'm jealous. It's more like there's it's just too much.
Speaker 2: It's just unfair it is, and it's.
Speaker 4: Too much, and I can't hate you.
Speaker 2: That's what it's like with those Whitney boys. That's how I feel looking at them, Like you.
Speaker 4: Could just be wearing a trash bag, you know, and you'd still look.
Speaker 2: I hate people like that. Maybe I'm sure they're lovely. This is worse when they're nice. I have a friend like that who.
Speaker 4: Because you really just want to be critical and then you're like, oh man, but she was like creally nice.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: It's kind of fine if they look incredible, but they're like an awful person. Because that's your that's what you hang on to. You think, well, at least I'm nicer than them. So Kevin's Kevin's been the best dressed and Mac DeMarco's drummer didn't wear anything.
Speaker 4: Oh well, not surprised by that.
Speaker 2: I think you must have snuck out on a towel in a with a towel wrap around him, because there was a towel on his drum stool. But there was a great reveal maybe like it was in the first song where the camera panned around the back of his kit to reveal that he was completely naked.
Speaker 3: He had a hat on.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, well, as long as he had a hat on, he had something.
Speaker 3: He's not a monster.
Speaker 4: They knew what they were doing there, They.
Speaker 3: Very much knew what they would do.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they were trying to own it there.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So I mean, I'm sure Alex Cameron will probably and Roy will look great. You've kind of do you feel the pressure now that you I mean, what are you what are you going to be wearing?
Speaker 4: Well, I don't know, you need to Maybe I'll wear a swimsuit, I don't know, and then I'll jump off the.
Speaker 2: Stage like yeah, you need to you need to do something outrageous.
Speaker 4: Now, you know. That's the thing though, when you play these big festivals, people want you to have on the light show and they wanted to be theatrical, and they want you to be like loud with lights and like adventures. But to me, it's really always been about the music. And if I'm not moving around very much on stage, it's because I'm trying to trying to give one hundred percent of my voice, you know. But it's curious to see these other bands, and I don't know. I think my group is more like a soul group. Like they're very like they keep it together. It's very smooth. But there are moments when I can put down my guitar and I can run around, and those are the freeing moments. And maybe we'll play one of those songs today, but it's very I like to do that every now and then, just because I'm just like, come on, I gotta move around now. I can't just stand here and hold this down all the time, you know. And I play rhythm guitar, so it's like two things at once. I'm not just singing, but I would like to dance around more. I think that would be cool.
Speaker 2: Are there any tracks where you put the guitar down.
Speaker 4: Yeah, there's one called the Waiting, which is from Halfway Home, which was the first full length record, and we've been playing that one live. And then there's another one called Total Control. It's a cover that we've been doing by the Motels right. Yeah, do you know the Motelles. I didn't know them either until I was in Australia and then this guy Jack Ladder, who's opening up for us Tim Rogers. He was like, Angel, come to my room, let me play you something whatever. He has this like really thick Australian accent and he's like giant, you know. And he also very well dressed. Also very well dressed those all season and what's up. But he was playing this track for me, and I was like, how do I not hear this? How have I not heard this before? It sounds like it would would have come out of the same phase as like Blondie, pre pop Blondie or pre like disco Blondie, you know. And yeah, so I checked it out and then I got obsessed with the song and we decided to play it and we played in La at this I don't know what the name of the venue was but we played this place. We were doing sound check and someone from the front of house started videoing it and I had never met him, and I was like, do you know the song? And he said I was in the band actually, wow. Yeah. So he sent the live recording of us to Martha Davis and was like, these people are recovering it. Yeah, but I don't know. It was cool.
Speaker 3: So what kind of track is it?
Speaker 2: Is it? Is it the kind of song that you you could dance around to? Is it fast enough for that?
Speaker 4: It's not fast. It's more like it's a sexy song.
Speaker 2: It's kind of it's rap sexy, okay.
Speaker 4: But in a subdued kind of way, in an attitude kind of way, right, Yeah. And I get to play keys on it, like trumpet, midi keys, and and that's always my favorite part at the very end, to walk around stage and then suddenly just rock out for for however long I want to. And sometimes we on the set with that one and it's like eight minutes long and people can leave during it, you.
Speaker 2: Know, right, Okay, it's fun, Okay cool. Has it just been announced that you're kind of on the Arcade Fire too. Yeah, it's that gonna be big.
Speaker 4: Shows, gonna be like like big arenas arena shows. Jeremy the Drummer I met a couple of months ago in Montreal and then he came to Ashville. He was playing maybe what was it, He was playing a festival solo nearby, and so he came to Ashville and hung and got to know everybody that I know and had dinner with us, and I don't know, it's a nice guy, cool, So I'm looking forward to it. We're going to see him, I think here as well. Yeah, they're playing Here's.
Speaker 2: That point tonight. Yeah. So in terms of those bigger venues, are you tended to put any lights and special effects on that?
Speaker 4: I don't know. I definitely want to rent some monitors. I think sound is really first and foremost for me. Visuals, Like I never imagined that I would be a big production band like Saint Vincent or something like that. You know, I don't want to do that because what my music is about isn't really it doesn't really go with that. But it works well for those kinds of bands and they look great. But like you know, I actually really like mac to Marco's style because he's very despite the fact that like people look at him and they think whatever. You know, I think smelly guy or whatever. I don't know what they think. But they don't have like a high production, and they make it happen and they're having a good time and they're real with their audiences and they're messing with people and themselves on stage. And I think it's that's something I'm more envious of rather than the light show. But you know, it's all different. You know, when you play those seeded audiences, they're like the the theaters, you know, the seeded theaters. Then I kind of feel like, Okay, we need more movement, we need lights because people just sit there like this. You can't tell if they're farting or if they're having a good time.
Speaker 2: Or you know, because they're looking out.
Speaker 4: So it's so tired. Yeah, tired, Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I just thinking when's this going to end?
Speaker 4: Yeah? I'm like, get me something, just give me it, Just call me something, Just yell at me. Be disrespectful. I don't give me something, you know, have you?
Speaker 2: I can't of imagine you get many people yelling things.
Speaker 4: Look at them all the time, do you? Yeah? More so? And uh, I feel like uh in Germany and the UK?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 4: But I played a show in Belfast and there was this kid knocking. It was like, I don't know what the name of the venue was, but he was knocking on the stage to the songs and at first I thought, he is he messing with me? He's pushing me, isn't he. He's trying to get to me, He's trying. And then I looked down at him and he knew all the words to the songs, and so I was just like, I stopped the song. I was like, hey, hey, can I get a picture with you? Do you can I be a part of your show? Like do you mind if I am a part of your show?
Speaker 2: What did he say to that?
Speaker 4: I don't know. He just looked at me bewildered, and then he kept knocking on the stage, and I was like, I got an idea. Since you know all the lyrics, you're my backup singer, you stay right there and you sing backup. But I already have a drummer and he's right there and he's great at drums, and I don't know about it. I don't know if you're doing this, but he played along with it. We took a pick. We stopped the show to take a pic, and he sang with me and I looked at him and high fived him. You know, Like, but in a situation where you're not connected to that person and you're like at a big show and they're far away and they're trying to be clever, you can't tell if they're enjoying it or if they're like what they're saying, if they're saying like this sucks, or oh my god, this is amazing, because it's just it gets lost in the faces. But I love those situations where I love being challenged by that because it's like I could flip my top right now, but instead, I'm gonna work with this person. We're gonna if he keeps pushing me, I'm gonna stop and I'm gonna just sit down and I'm gonna talk to him, you know, and if not, then we'll move on. You know. But it was really later on he apologized and he was like, I'm just a huge fan and it was really excited I did for the show, and I just wanted to play along.
Speaker 2: How old was this guy?
Speaker 4: I think he was young? Okay, yeah, yeah, he was brilliant.
Speaker 2: He was excited. That's kind of sweet. I bet one thing you get at London shows or England shows in the.
Speaker 4: UK roundhouse was actually pretty calm, which was awesome.
Speaker 3: Well behaved.
Speaker 2: But do you get this thing where artists that play kind of minimal music or quiet music in between songs. I bet every now and then you get just someone go fucking love your Joe. Do you get that?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 2: No, I bet you do.
Speaker 4: No, I don't know. I don't get any only.
Speaker 2: No, there's a thing. It's a kind of.
Speaker 4: Sometimes I get I think I like you.
Speaker 2: Okay, I know, but I'm not sure.
Speaker 4: I do get that.
Speaker 2: But it's the thing.
Speaker 4: I think it's better than pick it up. It's better than play the old stuff, dance a bit more good music.
Speaker 2: You're very still.
Speaker 4: I think the funniest one I got in the UK was at a Manchester show and it was it was fine. I was just I just kind of like I cocked my head at him and I was like, really, he said, play this song on Fuck the World. I gotta make it to the bus, and I was like, you got to make it to the bus, you got to make it to the bus. I'm sorry I didn't realize let's speed up our show for you to make it to the bus.
Speaker 2: This one guy.
Speaker 4: Of course, anything for you for buying a ticket tonight, the only one that matters.
Speaker 2: So you're living in Ashville, Yes, Now, how long have you been there?
Speaker 4: Four years?
Speaker 2: I've been there four years and I thought it was kind of newer than you too. More than that is that because you never get back there?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 2: What's Ashville like?
Speaker 4: It's gorgeous.
Speaker 2: It's in north North Carolina.
Speaker 4: It's uh yeah, it's in North Carolina. It's about five hours east of Nashville and five hours west of coast, so you're not really on water, but there are tons of lakes and mountains and hikes and waterfalls and things like that. Small town. Nobody cares about climbing the ladder there. Everybody is living their own life. Yeah yeah, woom Yeah. I mean winters are pretty mild. It snows a few times, but it doesn't get too cold. Okay.
Speaker 2: And you moved there to kind of because you were in Chicago before then, Yeah, and you moved there to kind of relax.
Speaker 4: Right, No, oh, you mean to relax from Ashville from Chicago? Yeah Chicago, Yeah, yeah, Chicago. I just didn't feel like after traveling a lot, it just felt I don't need to be in a big city with a ton of energy and a ton of people all the time, moving everywhere on top of each other, Like I don't need that as much anymore. I have that every day in my life. Now I'm traveling. I'm seeing those big cities all over the world. I don't need to live in one. YEA sure.
Speaker 2: So I read an interview that you did for our magazine last year, just before the new record came out, and You've said to David who has chatting to you about how when you go home when you're not on tour and you do manage to get back Toashville, you kind of switch off from music. You don't talk about music or well.
Speaker 4: It depends, you know. Right now, I've been writing, and I'm writing even and listening to music a lot, even though we'd played shows every single day. I like, get on my headphones and I'm checking out new music, and I'm in that phase. But there are phases when I especially like the last one I went home in between the last tour of the West Coast tour and now and I've got some surgery done, some like dental stuff. I had to take care of some adult stuff, and I've got a cat. I've just been like being domestic and taking care of my apartment and being at home and going on long walks and stuff. Sure, and that has been perfect, and I haven't wanted to touch the guitar. But now I'm getting to that point where I'm in the middle of like one of the longest tours that we've ever done with so many people, and I, for whatever reason, want to listen to music still. So maybe I'll go home and it'll be like, finally I have alone time to make something. Yeah, but I love living alone because I can. I can just spend hours at home. It's weird. I never thought I would be a person like that. I thought I would be a person who would want to be around people all the time. But maybe it's just the traveling thing. It just switched me and made me more like just grateful of that. And even if I'm not there and I'm paying money to a lot that I'm not using, it's like totally worth it to come home to peace and quiet and no one. Yeah, yeah, yeah, it's great.
Speaker 2: I've also read that you fairly recently started listening to newer music, Is that right? Like, yeah, before you were kind of more into Oh.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean I don't know. When I put out my first tape, Strange Cacti, during that time, I spent very little time listening to anything pop anything, I guess classic pop, which you know the word, the term pop is changing cause indie music and pop are merging, and what do you even call pop? That's a different conversation and I don't really want to go into that right now, but I will say that for the first time, I'm appreciating the production of it and why they why it's done that way, even if it's not for me. You know, I think it's fun. It's like candy, you know, It's like getting a piece of candy. That's what it's like.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So what have you been listening to?
Speaker 4: What have I been listening to? Well, I haven't been. I've I've gone in and out of phases of stuff. But I was listening to that new Miley Cyrus because it's very different than her last record. And if you don't know the word, the name of the song is Malibu so pretty cool, pretty cool. She's going back to her roots and I respect that and for the longest time, our sound engineer was checking the rooms with Carl Ray Jebson and that's fine, yeah and yeah, and then eventually you're just like, I know this song like the back of my hand?
Speaker 3: Which song was I really like you?
Speaker 4: Yeah? That one? Yeah, And then he switched it to a different artist who sings.
Speaker 2: What is it?
Speaker 4: He just switches it all the time. Now he's been playing York's debut, which I love and I hadn't listened to since I was like seventeen. But yeah, yeah, I don't know. As far as music that I've been listening to non pop, I've been listening to a lot of this woman of Violetta Para. She's like a Chilean poet. A lot of people covered her songs, but she has this song about returning to being seventeen, and it's really beautiful, and the way she sings it is very different than the way other people's other people have covered it, so I think it's more interesting to go back to the original version of things. Like I also like been listening to Barry GiB eighties eighties very GiB. He made this solo demo record and then gave the songs to Dolly Parton and who's the guy, the cheesy guy who's sang with Dolly Parton and Islands in the Stream. Anyway, Barry Gibbs version is way better. I wish that Dolly had sang it with him, because he's just I don't know why. I just suddenly, like developed an interest in eighties very good, but I just did, and I can't you know. And then I just started listening to Elo. I had never listened to television or I mean a telephone line ever before. I don't know how I missed that, but I like that song a lot. I've been listening to that I repeat, and I've been listening to what else? JJ Cale. I found this amazing box set of JJ Cale records. It's like three from nineteen sixty eight to seventy three, or maybe it's seventy three to eighty something. I don't know, but beautiful olive green like with vintage style font. It's so nice. And I found it at this Italian record store of all places. But yeah, I know, I've been been really getting deep into some stuff. And I saw this guy play yesterday at Bad Bone. His name's Norberto. He's Portuguese. Guitarist and I can't remember his last name, but he plays guitar, like how do you say, like Carlos Perets mixed with Max Oaks, you know, mixed with like Chris Spedding, but like the like Chris Betting that doesn't sing, the Chris Betting that played guitar, like blues guitar and like and I say Chris Betting because he's in so many different styles and I think this guitarist doesn't sing. You're just playing these different riffs and kind of smoothly going from bluegrass to like traditional Portuguese and then tuning his guitar and untuning it and working with that and it was really cool and so been listening to stuff like that as well.
Speaker 3: And when you're not doing that, you roll.
Speaker 4: A skate, right, Yeah, I actually see that's the thing. I want to get some I don't want to get some rollies for glastow, you know. I'm trying to do that. I'm trying to get I'm trying to do do some some roller skates on the stage. But I don't want to hurt myself in front of people either. That could be a big risk liability. I don't know if they'd let me.
Speaker 3: I think they would be able to stop you.
Speaker 4: I showed them videos.
Speaker 2: Maybe look it's me good. I'm good skate outside. Do you skate? What's what kind of skates do you have? Do you go in line or do you go quads?
Speaker 4: I do? What do you mean like the foot?
Speaker 3: Did you like the two?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 3: You don't do the inline rollerblades?
Speaker 4: I did when I was a kid. I used to play street hockey as a kid, and then the change happened and I stopped. I was great at defense, and so I got good at skating because I played hockey outside with a bunch of boys, including family members and cousins and stuff, and girls too, But we got really good at it. And then, you know, then I became a girl, and then I gave it up, and then I would secretly skate still, but I didn't play hockey as much and developed interest in other things, obviously. But now I'm just kind of like, well, maybe I'll play street hockey again. Maybe I'll do that again. Yeah, because I put on a pair of roller skates and went to a roller rink just to do it one day, just to see what it was like. And it was the best sober thing that I could have ever done in my whole life, like kids doing the socop And in Asheville especially there was this one, the one that I shot my videos at called Tar Wheels and so, and it's just like stuck in time, like stuck in the seventies. The lights are have probably haven't been changed in years, like same signage and everything. And you see these all sorts of people and live in Asheville, you know, creatives, hicks, you know, just all kinds kinds of hipsters and scenesters, but then also retirees and you know, so it was an interesting scene. And when I would go, i'd go and listen to music on my headphones and just skate in circles. And one day I saw this guy in a wheelchair just sitting there and one of the employees came up behind him and rolled him around, and I thought it was the sweetest thing. I was like, this is why you skate because stuff like that, You know, it's just like simple, simple happiness and it doesn't require anything from anyone. You're just happy and everyone else is happy. They're having a good.
Speaker 2: Timey of skating. So when you skate, do you skate at rinks, or do you skate out.
Speaker 4: To skated rinks?
Speaker 3: You know, do you have a skate to the shops?
Speaker 4: No, I don't know. If it'd had to be a smooth gravel road, like a freshly paved road, That's what happened in my video. I found this like one street that had just been paved, and I was like, this could be amazing or I could really each but it ended up working out, and I didn't you know, I had some people there to help me if I fell, So that's okay. But yeah, on the last couple of tours, you know, talking about David Bowie and the reason why I even am obsessed with skating is just that that's when I for the first time really really listened to David Bowie's when I started getting back into skating, and it made sense to me, especially the disco stuff coming out in the seventies, why it was for skating rinks and why it sounds so good there because it's like it goes well with skating, it goes well with flying, you know. And I went to this David Bowie like memorial in LA when we were recording, just to take a break, and everyone was dressed up like Bowie from a different era, and it was like a clown's funeral procession. Everyone was like there were so many people there that people could hardly skate, and everyone was dressed up. It was the most amazing thing that I've ever seen. You know, well, at least I know that sounds that sounds fake, but you know, for David Bowie. In relation to David Bowie.
Speaker 2: Yeah, have you seen the video, Cliff Richard video Wired for Sound. I'm going to leave you with that. I'm just going to leave you with thatation.
Speaker 4: What is it called? Wild for Sound?
Speaker 3: Wired for Sound?
Speaker 4: Wired for Sound? That's that that English accent that I like?
Speaker 3: Yeah, mine's quite odd.
Speaker 2: Wired for Sound for Sound Sound, Yes.
Speaker 3: Check it out. I think you'll like it.
Speaker 2: It feels like to me, it feels like it ticks a lot of boxes for you.
Speaker 3: Cool Cliff Richard.
Speaker 4: We'll see and then I'll see what you think about me by that statement.
Speaker 3: I'm confident with that.
Speaker 4: All right, Okay, all right, me too.
Speaker 1: Midnight Chats is a loud and quiet podcast production by Emma Snook Music courtesy of gold Panda. Search Midnight Chats on iTunes for more episodes and to subscribe for more information, visit loud and quiet dot com.