Speaker 1: From UFOs to psychic powers and government conspiracies. History is riddled with unexplained events. You can turn back now or learn this stuff they don't want you to know. A production of iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: Hello, welcome back to the show. My name is Matt, my name is Noah.
Speaker 3: They called me Ben. We're joined as always with our super producer Andrew the try Force Howard. Most importantly, you are you. You are here. That makes this the stuff they don't want you to know. Friends and neighbors, fellow conspiracy realists, we know you know, we know the score. A lot of us are snacking on something, having a little nash as we as we tune into these episodes or to our strange news or listener mail. Just want to give you a heads up. If you're eating, this might not be the jam for you. It might not be the jelly. It might not be the chicken salad that you were seeking.
Speaker 4: I'll have chicken, guys, but I still have yet to come around on chicken salad.
Speaker 5: It weirds me out. Just saying it out loud kind.
Speaker 4: Of weirds me out a little bit, even though I like everything that it contains, But something about it being this like gulash of like pasty, kind of mayonnaisy.
Speaker 5: Chicken just wears me out.
Speaker 4: But I know there are chicken salad people who are like, no, you just have to have the right one, and please let us know your recipe. What's a good chicken salad recipe that'll turn a denier like myself?
Speaker 2: Crepes, add grape, okay, and then put it on raisin bread.
Speaker 3: You could add all sorts of stuff. Yeah, I love this question because chicken salad is such an umbrella term, and salad can be confusing because I believe a lot of us in the US associated purely with vegetable or produce salads. But the edemal like salad in culinary terms, is just a mixture of stuff put to get owns.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think part of it also, it might be that expression you can't make chicken shit into chicken salad.
Speaker 5: I just think that sticks.
Speaker 3: With me for an expression.
Speaker 5: It really is.
Speaker 4: It's a thing because it's like it's like putting what do they say, a sow's year into a silk purse from a sow's year.
Speaker 5: It's kind of the same idea that one.
Speaker 3: Well, it makes sense that chicken would be a go to in so many figures of speech were idioms because it's one of the world's most popular meats. Like, as we record tonight, billions of human beings are eating billions of chickens in one form or another. Every year. More than sixty billion chickens are killed at some point in the production process because they're part of the planets or one of the planet's largest industrialized livestock programs in all of human history. I mean even gosh, not too long ago, we were talking about how an argument over boneless wings recently went to the courts in Ohio. Remember that one.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, it was a very controversial debate there, very contentious.
Speaker 5: A lot of people really had a bone pick.
Speaker 3: I'm sorry, there it is not there, it is no apologies.
Speaker 2: Well, some important stuff. What does boneless actually mean?
Speaker 3: Sure? What does organic mean? What is antibiotic free?
Speaker 5: Was there once a bone that was removed? Is that the key?
Speaker 2: Just because we say it's boneless doesn't mean there's no bones.
Speaker 3: Or is there a translation era? Is it bone comma less? You know, like fewer bones. That seems to be what the court's going with.
Speaker 4: I just think it's funny that there's also like the flip side of that that is considered a feature, which is bone in like a ribbi, you know, a fancy steak that have bone in before it.
Speaker 5: Like, that's what you want.
Speaker 3: Chick and thigh.
Speaker 5: We left zachy just hick you.
Speaker 3: Guys, chicken die with bone end man. That's the way to go for our home cooks, as long as you're not vegetarian or vegan. And speaking of a mixture of things. In a previous conversation, uh we in we had a series wherein we investigated the dark side of the livestock industry overall. This time we're back with a new cluck to step two. We're scoping in on one creature in particular, one entity in particular, a thing that spans the globe the same way the Dutch East India Company spanned the globe in days of old. We're talking about Big Chicken, and not the uh, not the weird statue a little north of the Atlanta metro.
Speaker 5: Area with that googly eye watching you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, KFC's Big Chicken. Uh It's I'm not gonna I don't want to be a hater. I'm not going to say it's worth visiting. If you have one day in the Atlanta area before your next flight. But if you find yourself here for let's say four days or a week, and you've got a car, you got wheels, then why not drive by it? It's you know, it's a spectacle.
Speaker 4: It makes some lists, you know, of roadside oddities. I think it's worth, you know, checking off of your particular list.
Speaker 2: If that's your thing, Drive by the Big Chicken and then enjoy a Chick fil a sand.
Speaker 3: Exactly right, Even though Big Chicken is from KFC, exactly what it used to be a sign for a KFC, and I don't think it's there anymo.
Speaker 5: Yeah, the chicken remains.
Speaker 3: Oh wow, So it looks like we got to get up there too, get some fieldwork in. Big Chicken is huge. There are dozens of conspiracy surrounding this. There are thousands of controversies, and there's some dark stuff on the horizon. But how did we get here? To answer that, we're going to have to learn a little bit about chickens.
Speaker 6: Yeah, here are the facts, all right.
Speaker 3: We did some episodes. We and our colleagues did some episodes on domestication as a concept over the almost two decades now. And if you want to learn more about domestication. Highly recommend stuff you should know by our pals Josh and Chuck. If you want to learn about the domestication of dogs, check out our series on ridiculous History. If you want to learn about the domestication of chickens, you're gonna have to break past some assumptions. Assumptions I thought we all had, you know, I always assumed that the domestication of the bird we call the chicken was ancient. It was like pre recorded history.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it was thought for a long time, like sheeper goats, that they were domesticated around eleven thousand years ago.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it looks like chickens are actually, in comparison, quite new to the domestication game, just about three to four thousand years ago. And it is. This is a cool, weird fact. The domestication occurs in step with the cultivation of rice in Southeast Asia.
Speaker 2: Makes sense. Chicken and rice, they go together, nice.
Speaker 5: Very good dish.
Speaker 4: And I believe the original birds that were domesticated were called wild red jungle fowl from Southeast Asia.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's inn't that funny. Humans have been terrified of chickens for a long time, just so afraid of them. Didn't want them around the houses. Just keep those chickens away. A little dinosaurs and can get behind that. Get out of here.
Speaker 5: They were frecky little guys. Man. I'm sorry.
Speaker 3: They will eat each other. They are. Yeah, they're very different personalities, but personalities they do possess. It wasn't until twenty twenty we'll go to Science magazine here that a study of a deep study of chicken genes like DNA of modern chickens confirmed a humble jungle foul. The Gallus Gallus spedicus subspecies was the ancestor of living chickens, sort of the avi and eve in this situation, and chickens share more of their DNA with that specific subspecies than any other subspecies, and this helped the scientists do some forensics. They narrowed down the side of domestication to Southeast Asia, and then they did a couple of other studies, all to research the original assumption that everybody grew up with, which was that chickens were domesticated back when the sheep and the goat was domesticated. There's a cool team up between a paleo anatomis and a bio archaeologist specialized in domestication, which I didn't know was a job you could have. So shout out to Joris Peters and Gregor Larsen. They went around the world, you guys, in two separate studies looking into sites of antiquity that happened to have chicken bones, whether in a campfire pot or whether buried with a human as you would bury a beloved pet.
Speaker 4: Man. If they ever have to reassess bioarchaeologically the nature of chickens, Atlanta will be the perfect site for chicken bones.
Speaker 5: It's there got a more lousy with them. They're everywhere.
Speaker 4: The joke online is very much based on the reality of living in the city.
Speaker 2: They find their way into that red clay and then they'll be there for the future. It is interesting, just this concept of having chickens as pets. I was being silly there talking about scary little you know dinosaurs and but.
Speaker 3: No, it's true.
Speaker 5: It's true.
Speaker 2: No, if you've spent any time around chickens, whether it's just you know, a couple, maybe it's just six to twelve or something like that, that are being raised for their egg production or something like that. Uh, these animals are can be at least extremely affectionate and curious and like interested in humans in some way I could say, down to hang around you, and it's it's actually I can imagine it. I can imagine a chicken making a really cool pet, maybe more dog.
Speaker 3: Well, they form bonds for sure, like they're Another stereotype we have to bust is the myth of being bird brained, because chickens can have complex emotional lives. They recognize humans. They you know, they experience pain and joy and grief and curiosity and you know, all the hits, all the slow jazz, which means that there are also and I'm only saying this because I met a few, there also are some evil chickens. There are some like villainous like dommer level chickens. It's weird, but it does indicate, you know, that point about their emotional complexity. The oldest what we will call chicken bones discovered so far. They come from a place in Thailand, in central Thailand named bond Non Watt, and they show up around the time ancient farmers started growing and cultivating rice. So our best guess is this rice cultivation led to rice seeds being scattered around, right, and this was amazing for the wild jungle fowl that you mentioned earlier and old, because that thing was basically just play in the lottery every time at peck in the dirt, hoping it came up with something it could eat. And now all of a sudden, yes, yeah there's literal pay dirt. That was really nice. Yeah, there's literal pay dirt. And the birds begin nesting at the edges of these cultivated rice fields, which means over time they slowly acclimate to humans and can currently humans acclimate to them. Fast forward thousands of years. Yeah, chickens got the raw end of the deal.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I've played Minecraft. If you have seeds around, those chickens will hang around you, and if you give them some seeds, they get little hearts over their heads and they procreate.
Speaker 4: Oh that's sort of like given the dog a treat and legend of Zelda or in Breath of the Wild, and give the dog an apple and it starts to like emote these hearts and then it'll follow you around.
Speaker 3: Oh, just for a rule of three, if you cast speak to animals and boulders gate three, then you can also befriend dogs and owl bear. I don't want to spoil it too much a strange ox Okay, a strange I don't want to spoil like it's a whole fricking storyline.
Speaker 5: Man, I've got it. I'm gonna you know what I'm gonna.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna start digging back into it after I start civilization whatever the new one is, and after I hunt a few more monsters and monster hunter wilds, which is a lot of fun.
Speaker 3: Yeah, all right. We also know in the in the large sense, there's there's an evolutionary dilemma. So being domesticated by humans on this planet means that your species will become one of the most prolific species on the planet. Right, Like cows are everywhere, you know, chickens are everywhere, But as an individual instance of that species, your life is probably gonna suck, unless you're like maybe a dog or we could bracket cats. They sort of domesticated themselves. But the weird fact going into this industry of consuming chickens is that chicken and rice was probably always a thing. Logically it may have been. It probably was the world's first chicken dish, and even then we see a pattern from these studies. It takes a while for humans to think of these jungle foul, even after they're domesticated as a food source. First, what we see is that for a long time people looked at them as sort of a real life Pokemon flex. I got a living alarm clock. Look at these feathers, dog, you know what I mean?
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, and the eggs, the eggs I guarantee were cultivated before the actual chicken meat. Who figured the eggs are useful in so many different ways?
Speaker 3: It's a returning investment too.
Speaker 4: But who figured that out these weird orbs, that these little guys poop out, that we could do something with them. I mean, I know trial and error and all that, but I always wonder who first cracked an egg and try.
Speaker 2: Eating it raw?
Speaker 4: And I was like, Okay, that's kind of gross. What if I had he it up over a fire? And now it's this lovely, you know, pillowy delicacy. It's the mushroom question It is, really is what's our rate of attrition? How many bad eggs did people encounter?
Speaker 3: First?
Speaker 4: Well, and also, you know you're not supposed to eat raw eggs, But isn't that more a product of modern farming? Like do you think back then it would have been totally fine to eat raw eggs, or were they still prone to having some sort of food borne illness.
Speaker 3: That's an interesting question.
Speaker 2: I just I don't know.
Speaker 5: It's maybe the wrong one for right now, but it's just I don't know.
Speaker 4: It's the whole trajectory of how we got to eating eggs.
Speaker 5: It's fascinating.
Speaker 3: Well, I just.
Speaker 2: Imagine if you have greens around, like lots of greens that are being produced, no matter what type it is, right, even if it's rice, and you've got an egg product like or just an egg, and you combine that in just as an experiment and realize, oh, this is a really good binder behind.
Speaker 3: Because yeah, the harsh reality is that most people were starving. You know, food security was a huge concern. Also, it makes me think, while we're just while we're gaming this out, there may have been some pivotal moment where the rat would have replaced the chicken grains edges of fields tolerance for humans, the egg was probably the deciding factor. Honestly, the egg and the slightly at that point larger size.
Speaker 5: Interesting.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, other little rodent like creatures like the guinea pig became a major source of food in other places right that hang out where the grains hang.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So we see a pattern and we can't answer why nature or why this version of reality swung to one pivot point or the next, but we can tell you over really give you fast forward through thousands of years. Can we get a fast forward queue thousands of years? There is a domesticated chicken industry. Big Chicken is real. It's global. The domesticated chicken spread far and wide. We're talking about multi like a multi, multi billion dollar initiative. It's across the world anywhere you go. Right, Chicken is for people who eat meat. Chicken is one of the most accessible versions of protein.
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 3: It's one of the few that is not explicitly banned in other meat eating religions, like you can't eat pork everywhere, you can't eat beef everywhere, you can't eat certain shellfish everywhere. But unless your religion for bids animal products at all, chicken's fine.
Speaker 5: Chickens good to go, baby, exactly.
Speaker 2: We just need, you know, millions and millions and millions of them, because there's some hungry people in this planet.
Speaker 3: Right, billions. Yeah, which brings us to the chicken industry today. Maybe kick some stats.
Speaker 5: Let's do do that.
Speaker 4: But I really quickly just think it's appropriate to bring up this little reference right before the section.
Speaker 5: You guys know the rapper Rick Ross, Yes, which one? Oh?
Speaker 3: No, the the not the namesake.
Speaker 5: I think that's right.
Speaker 4: Rick Ross is an Atlanta rapper and entrepreneur, and he owns a massive two hundred and thirty five acre estate in Fayetteville, Georgia that he calls the Promised Land, and he's into all kinds of farming, including bison. And I think he's either considering getting into chickens or he already has. But there's this excellent interview with them on Vince Staples podcast where he's describing being surrounded by chicken cages and chickens roaming around.
Speaker 5: He goes, it's there everywhere, going, you know, quack quack quack quack quack quack.
Speaker 3: No, Yeah, that makes sense. He's he is the same guy who invited people to just d m him if they want parachute into his estate in I want to say Florida, but it may have been Faettville as well. Well.
Speaker 4: I take to tell you, Rick Ross, but chickens don't say quack, they say buck.
Speaker 2: Do you think he's okay. He's either never seen or been in the chicken areas of his estate, or he's in fact raising ducks.
Speaker 5: Unclear. Unclear.
Speaker 4: Well, so, as of twenty twenty four, the United States, with Rick Ross contributing to this, potentially had an inventory of over five hundred and twenty million chickens and two hundred and eighteen million turkeys. The market leader for poultry production in the United States is, of course Tyson. Maybe not, of course. I just think they've got a big presence here in this part of the country, for sure, These chicken plants with over forty three billion US dollars in sales.
Speaker 2: WHOA, don't forget per due farms, guys, don't forget all the other.
Speaker 4: To be confused with produce far mart that's pretty far right.
Speaker 3: And yeah, there are a couple other players in the game. Tyson is the big one, but there is a pantheon in the United States at least. And now we have to look at the difference between how these how these chickens exist. They're laying chickens which make eggs until they're slaughtered, and then there are broiler chickens, which are grown for a short time to an enormous size and then slaughtered. Broiler chickens are the majority source of US chicken meat. There's sixty seven percent of all poultry sector sales, that's per the USDA. And there is an explosive trend here. In less than sixty years, the number of broiler chickens has skyrocketed. There were five hundred and eighty million annually in the nineteen fifties. They're like nine billion now in more recent years. So that's a that's a percentage raise of about fourteen broiler chickens.
Speaker 5: Think your cost co Rotisseri guys.
Speaker 2: Right, well, no, any chicken that is raised for meat, that's what the broilers are. And all chicken well, ninety five percent of the chickens raised for meat in this country are represented by the National Chicken Council, you guys.
Speaker 3: Right, Yes, we were talking about this off air. I'm I've been reading a lot of their works, the National Chicken good writing.
Speaker 2: They've got a great YouTube channel, y'all. It's and this is this is real. The National Chicken Council aka Big Chicken. They have a YouTube channel with the It is at Chicken Roost Roost two four four six, that is their YouTube channel.
Speaker 4: And this isn't which you may be consider in and of itself a lobby but they employ lobbyists, right, isn't that the edge?
Speaker 7: Well, yeah, yeah, yeah, it's it's it would call itself a trade organization or a trade group, but it is extremely active in you.
Speaker 3: Know, in located streets. Yeah, very much so.
Speaker 2: Their their corporate offices are five blocks from the White House lawn and uh, they're right over there in the same place with stuff like the NAACP in Washington, DC, like the same block of places, the American Chemical Society and the Natural Resources Defense Council, a bunch of these, like I guess, trade groups lobbyists that hang out and are able to literally walk over to the White House or to Congress and just have a little shit chat about that bill or whatever.
Speaker 3: And we've spent time in that neighborhood.
Speaker 8: You know.
Speaker 3: It's kind of like if you're in the US, you might run into this in your own town. It's kind of like how multiple car dealerships will be on the same street because like attracts like you could argue, but for them, proximity is always key in lobbying. And this is just the US we're not even talking about China, which is the largest producer of chicken and poultry products in the world. Together, the US and China represent about a third of all the global poultry production, which is a terrifying stat when you think about it. It is not even really counting the eggs. That's a whole other bag of badgers. What we see here already is an economic leviathan, and it comes with some advantages. It comes with some consequences if we're beaten fair. First, the first pro or advantage is that chicken is affordable, so for countless people throughout history, throughout recent history, and throughout the world today. This means you can have a source of protein for your family that you may not have been otherwise able to afford. That's the biggest win for humans, make no mistake about it, food security. The chicken industry represents a tremendous leap forward in that regard. Yet I would argue a dangerously imperfect leap forward.
Speaker 5: Oh for sure.
Speaker 2: For sure, guys, let's talk about units of meat per meal, like when we're thinking about an animal, just thinking about the number. We were talking about the number of chickens that get slaughtered, right number that are raised and then gets slaughtered and then consumed. One broiler chicken theoretically is enough food to feed a family of four, maybe five even maybe you know you.
Speaker 3: Got a little tyson sitting there in the high chair.
Speaker 2: Sure, well, I'm thinking the big old, big old broiler. Oh yeah, okay, little Tyson.
Speaker 5: Tyson's the boy's name human.
Speaker 2: Okay, a little Tyson broiler.
Speaker 4: But he gives his own little Tyson broiler for a little Tyson.
Speaker 8: A great idea, but just theoretically, that one chicken is like a meal, right, so one of theoretically three that are going to be had throughout a day.
Speaker 2: You know how standard household or whatever you want to you know, allocate those averages for in the United States. But if you slaughter a single pig, let's say, I mean that's food for a weeks.
Speaker 3: Yeah, depending on your preservation methods too.
Speaker 5: Are we are we talking?
Speaker 4: Does this stuff line up with the idea of servings or are these kind of unrelated?
Speaker 2: This is thought, This is just thinking off. I mean, yeah, maybe number of servings are the the number of animals that need to die in.
Speaker 5: Order for meals to be had?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 2: Okay, so like just when we think about the number of chickens that have to be raised and killed to meet the same number of meals basically that you would get if you were instead just slaughtering.
Speaker 3: Cows or meet the number of meals.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm serious.
Speaker 3: Quote, yeah, that's true, right right, and also what's the environmental footprint? Do check out our episode on the livestock industry where we talked a little bit more about beef and pork. We we have to tell you that pro that advantage at the very beginning, so we know why the Humble Chicken became sort of a hellen of food security Troy, you know, and launched a thousand dinner tables, as they would say. We also need to admit that this comes with a panoply of consequences, a rogues gallery really, of problems that are ethical, that are practical. Some of them are immediate, some of them are long standing, and some are on the horizon in a way that can be scary to think about, and others still verge into downright conspiracies. So we're gonna pause for word from our sponsors and we come back. We're gonna ask as honestly and as fairly as we can what are some of the cons a Big Chicken.
Speaker 2: HPAI, Hewlett Packard artificial intelligence.
Speaker 3: Here's where it gets crazy, all right, First things first, obviously, we're talking about the dark side of Big Chicken. Whether you're a huge Chick fil A fan, whether you have your favorite chicken wing spot, or whether you're an avowed vegan, there's no denying that because of this industry, life absolutely sucks. For chicken. Life is just terrible. You know, it's genocide.
Speaker 4: Even though, like you know, best of circumstances, the cage free eggs that you pay extra for or whatever, the free range chicken. That's all just like the path to death, like no matter how you slice it.
Speaker 5: Okay, pun may be a little intended.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, a but and this is a yes but section. Sorry guys. Yes, but there are things changing a little bit right for chickens. We'll get into that. For all the animals, there are some things that theorety theoretically could make their lives better before they get slaggered.
Speaker 5: Maybe.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And to learn why those changes exist, let's look at the current and past state.
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 3: Why the changes Matts alluding to are even on the proverbial dinner table, right, So factory farming incorporates and institutionalizes a collection of horrific methods conditions imposed on chickens. They kind of have a disposition matrix toward what creates the largest amount of profit and everything that's happening, everything that you're about to hear, which may make some of us, some of us in the crowd on comfortable, It is all in the name of not malevolence, but in the name of squeezing a bit more profit out of that bottom line out of every single bird. And it starts with culling. So it is currently common for producers to get a big, a big new generation of chickens, to identify all the newly hatched male chicks and to immediately kill them to in older days, to just grind them up. The logic being these guys don't lay eggs and they used to grow too slowly, so a lot of them would be ground up and then fed back to the chickens.
Speaker 5: That seems safe.
Speaker 4: I don't know, it just seems like potentially the way that you would get like super pathogens or something.
Speaker 3: Yes, nice foreshadowy there, I mean, this doesn't be life is great for the survivors of that first cull egg laying chickens. Let's say you become a laying chicken. You are still in these brutal, very cramped conditions pretty often because cage free, by the way, doesn't mean what a lot of people assume it means, and an egg laying chicken will often get debeat to eliminate inter chicken violence, which is otherwise a hilarious phrase, but it's very real.
Speaker 4: Burned off if I'm not mistaken, right, isn't it like a process clipped off?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Okay, for some reason, I've seen a process involving some sort of very like hot brand of some kind or like I don't know, maybe.
Speaker 3: I could see Yeah, I mean it differs. It's always going to be what's the cheapest thing for that producer, right, And once those once those beaks are clipped or burned, otherwise maimed or removed, you'll see a lower level of aggression and cannibalism, which would in other circumstances be widespread, whereas our pal Frank would say wide rife in this very contaminated, cramped environment. The reason that works is because it puts the chicken in a state of chronic pain for the rest of its short life. So if it attacks, if it like it hurts to eat. Imagine your main way of aggression, right, or sustenance was your mouth. And imagine, you know, shortly after you were born, somebody messed with your jaw and your mouth and your nose such that it hurts to breathe, it hurts to eat. You're an intense pain if you try to bite. That's why it works.
Speaker 2: Now, these growers we're talking, we're talking about this is happening for chickens that lay eggs, like lay yeah, okay, so but those are not the broiler chickens, right, those are different. Yeah, those aren't the ones that humans are going to eat. Generally, those are for a whole separate purpose.
Speaker 3: Those will tend to have a longer life span, still brutally short, but they'll tend to have a longer lifespan. We're right. Their eggs, Yeah, they get killed kind of in the pecond wave, and all of these creatures live a much shorter life than they would live naturally or in you know, your backyard.
Speaker 4: I did google chicken beak removal hot, and there is a thing for sale online. It is called a chicken beak breaker hot. Beak machine automatic beak breaker, and it basically has a blade that is heated up to red hot and then the the beak is put in there and it's it's clipped off using it because it cauterizes it, you know, after it clips these that can't be very pleasant at all.
Speaker 3: No, again, it gives them chronic pain for the rest of their lives when they clip that beak. This doesn't even Oh, we got to talk about the size right earlier mentioned units of food right end user. So we mentioned earlier that modern chickens, now, if you look at them, they're going to be way bigger than those jungle foul of ancient Southeast Asia. Part of that is due to injection of growth hormones juice in the birds. That's illegal in the US and Australia currently. But another part of the general size disparity comes from something it's even a little crazier. It's eugenics. Intense breeding regimens.
Speaker 4: So couple with these extremely cramped conditions you can barely call a life. This can also result in chickens that are so overweight and burdened by their own heaths that they are essentially you know, in invalid I guess, for lack of a better term, they are not able to move around and operate like a normal creature would. The level to which they are plumped up, I guess you could say essentially is like completely burdening them at all times.
Speaker 5: They can't even support their own weight.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and that's not their choice. Also, it's a short life. It's filled with terror. And we were talking about this earlier. It bears emphasis. Anyone who has raised chickens on a small scale, A lot of our friends or family, or even coworkers outside of that, can confirm chickens do have personalities, can experience emotions, which means they know when stuff sucks right just like you, they have a problem with it. Even the more humane operations out there will use slaughtering alternatives like decompression or gas chambers or something called the kill cone. The kill cone is where you take a chicken, you stuff it headfirst down a funnel, and then you pop the head through the opening at the bottom of the funnel, and then you slash their neck and then bleed out. Those are examples of the more humane alternatives to the usual factory slaughters. So the more you learn about this industrial level poultry production the worst. It becomes a point we were talking about a little bit off air. In a lot of animal rights literature, the people who would be the polar opposites of the trade lobbies or the thing with the autonomy big chicken. A lot of those groups vilify the human poultry producers as some kind of callous, unfeeling monster. But that could not be further from the truth that people are doing the work, by which we mean not the lobbyists, not the executives and the c suite and whatever. The people on the ground are often forced to resort to these barbaric practices just a stay of float in a market that continually pushes for the bottom line. What we're saying is, in short life often sucks for the poultry producers as well. And I think that's something a lot of our you know, with the best of intentions, a lot of animal rights activists forget.
Speaker 2: Yeah, for sure, we do have to remember that there are I don't even know how to say this, because everything we're talking about here is a reality, like especially when we're getting into the industrial size, like huge chicken production situations. I watched a video that was put out there in twenty fourteen by the National Chicken Council that is going through the slaughter process and the line when chickens are being processed into meat, which is just horrifying to think about. But they, I mean, they use the term that's an industry term, the evisceration line. And if you know what that word means, it's like to have basically the insides removed, your internal organs taken out of a body. That is what they go through. And you they show you, like, this is how it works. All these chickens that are hanging by their feet after they have been you know, killed systematically on this line and this giant line of chickens been killed then through their backsides, all of it. It just is a claw that goes in and evisceraates them and then they get vacuumed out and cleansed off with this stuff. Oh what is it called. It's a it's a chemical chlorine wash. It's parasitic acid, is what it's called. It's hydrogen peroxide and acetic acid combined together. It's certain concentrations. According to them, the hydrogen peroxide becomes water and the acetic acid is the same thing that's in vinegar. So theoretically it's a wash that's safe and it kills off all the microbes and now you're good to go with your chickens. It's just a horrifying thing to watch the kill process, right, But there are other things in place thanks to things like the USDA, like the Certified Organic label that we're going to talk about a little bit, but something like that that gets slapped on a meat product, lets you know as a consumer that theoretically somebody from a government organization went to that farm and certified that those chickens are able to roam around freely. It's not some cage system you know that's like free range, but still inside a little cage. It certifies that, no, those chickens actually go out onto this farm and graze and then come back in, and that's what you're eating. It's not the chicken in these horrifying conditions that we're talking about in these larger industrial versions, which is again a step forward towards good potentially, but in the end, everybody's getting viscerated no matter how you lived.
Speaker 4: As you said before, a Matt, did you see that John Oliver piece from last week tonight on this Yeah, Ben pointed it out in the outline here. I actually didn't catch it originally, but saw this clip the Bens, referring to John Oliver and his writers really look deeply into the notion of contract farming. He describes it, I think very aptly as basically a chicken daycare company where baby chicks are brought into an independent farm, then they're.
Speaker 5: Picked up a month later for processing.
Speaker 4: Ninety seven percent of chickens, they point out, and the piece are raised this way in the United States, and the big companies actually also own the feed as well as the feed bins, so there's this really interesting feedback loop or kind of monopoly kind of situation going on. The independent farmers, though, are responsible for literally everything else, the property, the equipment of the labor, all of that. But then you know they're under the thumb of this big chicken because of the proprietary nature of the process that they have on lock.
Speaker 5: Is that about right, Ben, Yeah, it's like a.
Speaker 3: Share crapping, but with chickens, well not quite, because they do own the property, they're they're on the hook. These contract farmers, who often get vilified or contract producers, they're liable for the majority of the cost involved, right, and if, for instance, there is some kind of regulatory violation that occurs or that they get popped for, they're on the they're they're on the kill cone for that as well. We see a ton of producers who are teetering on the edge of financial ruin, underwater on loans or debts, usually transactions that they depended on to get up and running in the first place, or that they relied upon as the market cyclically waxed and waned. Right, Because farming and livestock production, it's always been a matter of margins, you know, and you're dependent upon a lot of factors that are simply beyond your control. So it doesn't stop there. Worker safety and worker rights in general often fall to the wayside in these contract farming arrangements. This system the Big Chicken has ox fan thank you, thank you. Ox. Fam America found that a lot of slaughterhouse workers, in some exhaustive studies, despite having you know, regulatory bodies show up and certify stuff, a lot of these slaughterhouse workers were not getting brakes to the point where they had to wear diapers. They were getting paid below minimum wage, and some entities were purposely targeting underage folks, undocumented people, people who can't fight back as potential employees so that they could keep those expenses low and push to keep those profits high.
Speaker 4: All right, why don't we take a little breather here this heavy stuff, have a word from our sponsor, and then we'll be back to find out more about some of the pitfalls of this massive industry.
Speaker 3: And we've returned. Another harsh reality of why life can be terrible for poultry producers and employees is this. Accidents and serious injuries We're talking like amputations are widespread in this endeavor. Folks working in this industry on the ground are three times more likely to suffer serious harm in comparison to the average employee in the United States. There was an OSHA study in twenty fifteen that found on average employees of Tyson Foods, at least one is injured such that they have to amputate a finger or limb per month. Per month, there's at least one person who you know officially gets the street game.
Speaker 4: Nine fingers, I mean, just pretty horrific. Back to that, you know, automatic beak removed room machine. If if I'm remember incorrectly, and I've seen this process you know from film clips, there are workers that kind of have to hold the chicken up to this device to have their beaks removed. You know, you can just depend on the chicken to do it themselves, and I can imagine that could be really, really dangerous. I mean, you're holding a chicken, you know, up close to this machine that's like chomping off their beak. I mean, that's just one of the many dangerous pieces of equipment these folks are interfacing with on a regular basis.
Speaker 2: Yeah, when you're in the actual slaughterhouse, when all of that stuff's going down there, I mean is large, dangerous, sharp implements that are a part of the factory, right and people have got to service those things, and it's just continually moving. There are workers that have large knives just at hand at all times when they're there. Even the USDA inspectors when they're on the line, they've got you know, large knives to to check out and inspect things. And then there are people that are constantly just cutting away at the chickens to remove a broken wing or you know, if there's a chicken that's got uh, it was weird to think about. There's a chicken that's all bruised up. They'll take it off the line so that you don't have to see that, but they can still use the meat product in something else, you know.
Speaker 5: Sure, it's just.
Speaker 2: There's there's danger all across the factory system.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah. For comparison here, just to give people a sense of the numbers, some of the some of the machines are measured by the high amounts of chickens, chicks or whatever they can process per minute. So we're talking wood chippers situations where the machine does not turn off.
Speaker 4: And I would imagine math that any of those bruised chickens that aren't you know, fit for sale as a as a broiler, you know, for pieces like that, would maybe be ground up to being a ground meat product.
Speaker 2: Well yeah, that's color can because.
Speaker 4: That's all you know, like kind of uniformly use what is it the pink slime, I believe is what's called.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah yeah, or mechanically separated is another key phrase. You will see it and canned chicken. And look, a lot of this is that these people, again, people who are working in this industry are not bad people. They're not malevolent. They're trying to keep their jobs. And the companies that are involved in the meat business at a high level, at least in the United States, they are some incredibly powerful lobbying organizations. They take a lot of that profit they're squeezing out of the chicken or whatever livestock, and they push it toward influencing politicians and touching policy in a way that is increasingly advantageous, creating a feedback loop. We're talking about the American Meat Institute, the National Meat Association, National Chicken Council. We didn't say it earlier, but you may recognize their previous work as the National Broiler Council. They changed the name because it was a little, well, too little, too close too much. I like that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And they specifically represent those broiler chickens, the meat chickens, not the egg layers.
Speaker 3: And there these are powerful groups. They have such a strong voice in decision making in Washington, and one of the in they're fairly consistent in their work. They're pushing back against proposed safety standards. They're pushing back against what they see as over regulation. And one of their arguments goes returns to the thing we said at the top of this evening's episode to food security. Right, We're we're self regulating. The argument goes, we accept a certain amount of government intervention, but our overall goal is to keep meat safe and very affordable. We want it to be cheap for the average consumer. So help us, help you, America, is their argument at base. This is why chicken is cheaper than peanuts. Often.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it is weird. If you go to the National Chicken Council's websites and stuff they do, they advocate for that. It's generally advocating for safety, you know, at least outwardly. When you look at the press releases and stuff that gets put out, it's all about, Hey, the antibiotics that everybody is so worried about, You don't got to worry about that. They explain to you how the antibiotics that go into chickens are never in the meat products, and they're tested for that. The USDA protects you as a consumer against having antibiotics, and the meat products you receive they do go into the chickens, but there is the there are these periods where they're no longer allowed to have antibiotics, so it'll never get into your body. It's fine, which I mean is maybe true. And maybe fine, but it doesn't change It doesn't change the actual issues with doing something like using antibiotics in chicken products.
Speaker 3: Right, yeah, we're definitely we have to dive into that because that will bring us to you know, the horizon, what rough consequence slouches toward Bethlehem in big chicken industry. When we stay just a moment on the realities of people in the poultry industry on the ground, it means that these big groups, these organizations, these corporations, these who fund the trade groups and the lobbies, they have so much leverage over employees. If you make too much trouble, you raise too much of a ruckus, you ruffle too many feathers, you can be blackballed. You're not only cut out of the chain. You're not only cut out of the chain, but you are still on the financial hook for all those loans you took out at the beginning. Right, the bank that gave you money is not going to say, ah, you had a conscience, you know what I mean, So we're going to forgive this loan. They're going to say, hey, you're late this month, and that will be the extent of their empathy or observation. Also you know, there are harmful impacts on the local community. I was interested to learn and we found this in previous research on livestock overall. But you guys might remember back in two thousand and nine a criminologist studied locations of poultry processing outfits and crimes rate of crime. Similar studies have been conducted with the location of military bases and crime. And what this criminologist, Damie Fitzgerald, found was that slaughterhouse employment, regardless of the animal involved or being processed, slaughterhouse employment increases total arrest rates, violent crime, arrest arrest for sexual assault and other sex offenses in comparison to other indists.
Speaker 4: And this is what like pointing to just the potential for this being such a traumatic situation to work in that you would maybe I don't know, be damaged psychologically by that, or that certain types of people that might be violent offenders are more attracted to this kind of work.
Speaker 5: I'm curious. It's a very interesting step.
Speaker 3: Those are great questions in Fitzgerald's work. What we see is not a not a ton of conclusions past the correlation, but some of the possibilities that were just mentioned there. The idea that maybe folks who wouldn't pass a background check for another job are getting hired. Maybe that's one. Maybe, you know, there have also been some interesting studies that we have in cited here regarding the psychological effects. You mentioned. It's very that's a very real thing as well. But what we're bringing this up for is to show that there does appear to be a discernible impact on the social environment in which these operations exist. And I think that's a nice segue to the larger environmental impact the overall what happens to the land, the air, the sea, the you know, how much arsenic are you getting, guys, are you getting enough arsenalup?
Speaker 2: So? Oh man, And really quickly before we hit on that, I just want to talk about the reason why there were there are so many poultry farmers out there in the world, especially in the United States. And before we jump in, let's just talk about why there are so many poultry farmers out there, why there's so much chicken, specifically chicken for meat being produced in the United States. Specifically, it is because it takes eighteen to twenty four months to raise a cow for meat. It takes six to twelve weeks to raise an entire flock of chickens, like a chicken house filled with chickens six to twelve weeks. And the reason why farmers are going towards chickens is because with some of these contracts that they signed that we talked about in the beginning, like with the big with the big producers that then get contracts to raise chickens, as well as independent chicken raisers who kind of do their own thing and then sell their own chicken via small farm. Is because you can get paid, let's say every twelve weeks if you raise flocks of chicken in that way, if you've got four chicken houses that you're raising at the same time or maybe in tandem, right, you're getting paid pretty consistently. If you're raising a whole bunch of cows, it takes you twenty four months potentially to get paid, right, But because then you're selling your product at the end period. It's the reason why farmers are moving towards poultry on huge rates because you're actually gonna have money coming into the farm consistently, rather than hoping that you're gonna have enough money to pay off all those loans and then pay for your life and your family and all that other stuff.
Speaker 3: Predictable profit on a shorter time window or a shorter distance between intervals.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think that makes sense to all of us. But it also means that there are so many chickens being produced for these purposes and in these ways. It is having this environmental impact and this societal impact that we just maybe as a species, didn't expect to be as large for sure.
Speaker 4: So let's go into some more environmental consequences.
Speaker 5: You mentioned arsenic earlier.
Speaker 4: Ben Arsnic in case you need a refresher, is a metallic mineral that's released into soil and water when fertilizers and pesticides are used. Organic farms are less toxic than the inorganic stuff, but still they are not non toxic after a certain threshold.
Speaker 5: None of this stuff is particularly good for you.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Arsenic was originally put into large scale chicken feed in the nineteen forties for three reasons. It was supposed to help fight disease, it was supposed to improve muscle growth, and it was also this is a weird one to me, it was supposed to make the meat pinker, So it was an esthetic agent.
Speaker 4: And guys, we are talking about the same arsenic like the King of Poison, Right, it is the same. It's just about the concentration. So no matter how you shake it, this stuff is a historically effective poison, you know, from like Agatha Christie novels.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Dory, our friends at the National Chicken Council have a statement where they see there's no need to worry. You know, there's no direct correlation between long term detrimental health effects like cancer head to arsenic. But it is also true that for a long time, consumption of chicken was the primary source of arsenic exposure in US children across.
Speaker 2: That's crazy. It's almost like they eat a bunch of chicken products.
Speaker 4: Chicken, the fingers nuggets, you know, part of school lunch programs.
Speaker 3: I think it was smart to call them tenders too. That was great marketing.
Speaker 5: Yeah, they don't like people don't say.
Speaker 4: Fingers is much more specialized the term these days. It seems like it's not used as broadly because it is kind of odd.
Speaker 5: Because you know, chicken don't really have fingers.
Speaker 3: It's like lady fingers. Yeah, chicken fingers is calm. Yeah. So along with arsenic and specific there are other concerns about substances excreted by the industry or related we mentioned. We'll mentioned some of the issues that chickens themselves face. There's a thing called ammonia burn because when there are large accumulations of feces, there is this creation of ammonia. Right it's concentrated, it has to go somewhere. As a result, a lot of chickens get respiratory diseases. They get this thing called ammonia burn, and it's not exclusive to chickens. Twenty sixteen, MPR went to North Carolina, one of the country's largest poultry producing states. At What they found was people who are locals. As this industry continues to explode the area, they're starting to at least they're starting to think they are experiencing ammonia burn because of a weird, unwanted combo of dead birds, leftover feed and feed waste and then manure. It all mixes, right, and sometimes they're just mass graves that have a stink cloud coming off them, like the wavy lines in a cartoon or evil fingers you around.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's really bad. There was a Tyson plant right near where I grew up, and the smell just from the plant, the processing plant so this isn't even the growing chickens part that we're talking about with mostly like feces runoff and all the nastiness that's been discussed, the smell from a plant of blood yep, and this just death, oh god. And it's the innards. Remember we're talking about the evisceration part where all that stuff goes. You might save the livers and the gizzards and a couple other little things for specialty food products, but most of it is just trash. And when it becomes that waste thing, where it goes afterwards and how it stored can affect everybody in And.
Speaker 4: There's a big Tyson plant near Athens, Georgia, where I lived for quite a while, and you know when you got in that vicinity of that place, it was pretty rough.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah. And you can smell some of these from the highway, yeah, the road as you're driving through. There are a couple of I think we've all in the Southeast in particular, had those experiences. There are a couple of times I was able to time my drive to a few places by when the spell kicked in.
Speaker 2: You like to get away from it, to.
Speaker 3: Get away, or when it arrives like switch when is it time to switch off the outside vents?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Right, yeah, and you can feel it coming, you can hear it.
Speaker 2: But I remember hearing about this specifically when we were when we covered Dark Waters. I think we mentioned not that long ago in the show that we just published it as a classic where there were issues with water runoff and chemical plants. The other issue that came up was water runoff with chicken feces specifically.
Speaker 3: Yeah, exactly, it's one hundred percent true. I mean, the critics will argue that, let's step back. So proponents, a lot of people higher up in the industry will argue, look, we comply with regulations as they stand, and we're helping a lot of people because we are an enormous economic powerhouse whenever we cluck through town. But the critics on the other side will say, yeah, you're quote unquote complying with regulations that you physically hampered. Right, you change the rules of the road to your advantage at the consequence of the public, and of course these cursed birds.
Speaker 4: And now it seems like, I mean, even under the best circumstances, these regulations are fallible and not nearly robust. Enough, and it does seem like, given the nature of the governmental situation that we find ourselves in the United States, we may see further erosion of these types of regulations for the benefit of the yield, you know, for the benefit of the companies producing the stuff and profiting from this stuff, rather than then for the safety of the end user.
Speaker 3: I'm glad that was said, because that's happening now. That is true. The relatively defanged regulations that already exist on federal and state by state levels are being further debaked, you could say, because they are already standing exemptions from state odor ordinances, especially in big poultry towns or excuse me, poultry states. And then there are also exemptions from federal air emissions monitoring. So the rules are already put at like the video game difficulty setting is at easy right now, it's at laughably easy for compliance, and that means that this stuff gets into the air, into the soil, leaches into the water. And the argument from the industry, again, to be fair, has always been something along the lines of in our broiler chicken friends say this too. It's something like, if you overregulate this industry, you're going to damage it. You're going to have very dangerous economic impacts, but you're also not going to produce much in the way of favorable results. You will have a lot of sound and fury signifying nothing. That's an argument critics reject, but it is the one the Feds and big companies do seem to embrace. Not putting a not putting a chicken in the kill cone of this one. We're just letting you know the two different sides of the spectrum here, and I don't know. The other thing to get more conspiratorial, we're duty bound to say this is that other stuff added in the production line may hold even more dire consequences down the road. Diarer the dire risks die.
Speaker 5: Die die.
Speaker 4: The operative word here are we talking about antibiotics and that feed loop sure feedback loom created by feeding the chickens their ground up cohorts.
Speaker 5: Right? Not great?
Speaker 4: Oh, in terms of the kinds of superbugs that this can create.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Now, the antibiotics have to be included in some level for some of these large scale operations, you know, facilitation of rapid weight gait, cutting down on the diseases that would otherwise run rampant in those conditions. This widespread use of antibiotics mentioned the word superbug there and all. This widespread use of antibiotics is essentially fast tracking the evolution of superbugs of drug resistant things. It's reducing the overall effectiveness in antibiotics in humans. And this is an across the board effect. This is across the board catastrophic potential. If you are vegan, if you are vegetarian, a super bug generated by this overtreatment of antibiotics can still affect you. It doesn't matter what you eat.
Speaker 2: It does matter if the antibiotics actually get into you, right, And the National Chicken Council says no, they will never do that.
Speaker 4: But you know, and y'all, I know, I keep harping on this idea of like feeding the chickens ground up chicken, and I guess the issue there can be their self contaminating and then the antibiotics, I don't know, like they can become less effective or there is something that I've definitely seen reported on in terms of that feedback loop of the whole system, the close system of it all.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So these bugs that we're describing, these infections, their generational time window is much shorter than that of a larger organism. So when you can continually expose them to antibiotics, that would have, you know, would have been an existential threat over time. With a lot of antibiotics hitting these things again and again, we are, as I said earlier, we're fast tracking the revolution. This is not a theoretical matter. This will lead to the creation of superbugs unless there are discoveries of new, increasingly powerful antibiotics. There is an arms race against infection.
Speaker 2: And that is specifically talking about the types of bacteria and things like salmonella, things that you hear about with an outbreak with like a chicken crop or an egg crop or something like that that is not tied to or to at least not directly tied to avian flu and things like that that we're going to get into. That's a whole other bag of badgers on top of this. One has to do with the potential biological contamination.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and this realization or growing awareness in the public ed to a series of without the three of us sounding dish, it led to a series of feel good statements by a lot of end user chicken companies and chicken joints. Tyson KFC, our own Chick fil A. A lot of these outfits said, all right, no antibiotics ever. We're not going to do it. We've heard you the people. We'd love to sell you a combo number three, and we want you to feel safe buying it. They later backtracked their promises and they modified to these more nuanced stances, the same way that Google no longer says, don't be evil. Tyson used to have no antibiotics ever on the label. That's removed. If you see that, now you're buying expired chicken. Just so you know, pro tip from the boys.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and we talked about this on I think Strange News. Maybe one of the big problems was these major chicken users, the companies that actually give you an end product of chicken, like your KFC's and Chick fil A's, they realized, at least the ones in the UK, they realized they could not source enough chicken to meet demand that could meet those standards that they were theoretically striving for, right.
Speaker 3: And the producers themselves could not afford to make to create chickens at that level that the restaurants were looking for. So it was it was a weird discrepancy, weird misstep Chick fil A also switched the game to something I've referenced a couple times here. They switched the game to no antibiotics important to human medicine.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, OK, that's interesting. But so does that just mean they're not using antibiotics that you might get prescribed if you go to the doctor.
Speaker 4: Because that would be a bad thing if those particular ones were weakened or our immune systems no longer responded to them.
Speaker 5: Is that the idea of what they're claiming.
Speaker 2: Well, it's a bug. It would be better the buzz knew about the medicine you were going to take.
Speaker 3: Also too, it's there's there's a lot of room for cognitive parkour in the phrase important to absolute human medic a. Yeah, how does truet Kathy feel today? He feels very dead. But yeah, it's a shame, but he is. He has passed. Uh. This so that is its own uh. As said earlier, Bag of Badgers Avian flew. Other diseases are different and are perhaps even larger threats, depending upon whom you ask. So chickens and turkeys, when they get killed, they're usually not able to walk that well, they're sick, they're in pain. They're often infected with things like E. Coli or as earlier mentioned, salmonella, other bacteria that can make human being sick. And since poultry products are, oh, by the way, the main source of food borne illness in people, I was not aware of that these chickens have to get soaked with these toxic chemicals mentioned earlier that some remnant of those chemicals is consumed along with the flesh. This all like, this is all hitting very weak immune systems in the individual bird, and that means we're creating fertile soil for a possible zoonotic version of av and influenza. It's a global concern. As we're recording, South Africa is currently anticipating another outbreak. They're not saying it might happen. They're saying, you know, it's kind of like what is it tornado watch versus tornado warning. They're not saying the conditions are favorable. They're saying strap in folks.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and that's avian flu that has made.
Speaker 3: The jump right to become zoonotic.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Right now in the United States, at least specifically, all of these producers are worried about avian flu in the chickens and in the flocks themselves. That hasn't jumped to humans yet, but good golly, it seems like it might happen in any day now the way it is happening in South Africa, because we've got a specialized version called highly pathogenic avian influenza, and it is taken out flocks, especially egg laying flocks, left and right and right now. There's a billion dollars that's getting pumped in through the USDA to fix all these things. And guys, I want to talk about this because it feels really similar to is what happened with SARS Cove two with the USDA is attempting to get what they're injecting one hundred million dollars into government grants to create a new vaccine for the chickens, like specifically to vaccinate all the chickens. Guys like that, that is crazy. I mean, I mean, it makes sense, I guess, but I don't know. Something about it weirds me out, and I, yeah, I don't know. What do you think?
Speaker 3: Look at I think our next step is to agreed it is a worrisome thing. Our next step is to look at Congress members overall and see what they're investing in.
Speaker 2: Hmm, that's interesting.
Speaker 3: Yeah, a lot of people made money off antibacterial wipes and toilet paper and co vaccine companies.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, yeah. Look into the Secretary of Agriculture Brook Rawlins, because this was a big announcement that came at the end of February this year, and it is all about trying to fix egg prices. It's like a five pronged approach to fix egg prices in America. But all of it, all of it goes back to avian influenza if you really look at it, and the billion dollars, most of it goes to helping out farmers who are basically, you know, had their livelihoods cut in half or more because of this single virus.
Speaker 3: The United Nations clocked this possibility too. In their official statement a while back. They said governments, local authorities and international agencies need to take a greatly increased role in combating the role of factory farming a little redundant. But they have, you know, other stuff to do. They said, commerce and live poultry and wildlife markets, which provide ideal conditions for the virus to spread and mutate into a more dangerous form. I mean not for nothing did Stephen King pick influenzas as the big bad of the stand. Its mutation is unpredictable. Its mutation is continual, and it moves at a pretty quick pace.
Speaker 2: And there's plenty of chickens for it to move through, right, It's got.
Speaker 3: A lot of practice, it's got a lot of different fields to play a game.
Speaker 2: On and have a little tiny jump in its evolution, and then we got something wholly different. Worries me a little bit in this legislation that came through. One of the things that the USDA is talking about doing in this five promonged approach is to remove unnecessary regulatory burdens on the chicken and egg industry to further innovation and reduce consumer prices.
Speaker 5: Exactly.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the consumer prices are definitely what they're concerned about.
Speaker 2: But like theoretically, just thinking on that a bit, when we think about when people go to the grocery store, now, you buy what you can afford, right, and if you can afford a little more, you are likely going to choose one of those labels like the USDA Certified Organic. That means, you know, the chicken has bypassed a lot of the horrific stuff, not all of it, but a lot of the horrific stuff that we described in this episode. So you use your money to purchase a chicken that actually is roaming around somewhere, isn't it.
Speaker 4: Kind of also not a thing as much in other countries, like you don't need to pay extra for the safer food. Like I feel like that's definitely the case where it's just chicken, his chicken, and you don't have to like pay a premium to get the one that probably won't kill you or make it right.
Speaker 3: You're also looking at higher food safety standards, but then you're also looking at local producers, right, So that is part of it, the idea of returning to a less centralized supply chain. The issue is what this legislation ignores, which I mentioned before there is it ignores the fact that there is such tremendous financial pressure being put upon the further erosion of existing regulations, and the idea that the market itself will suddenly prioritize health and safety, which is simply it's never been the case and at least not the US. Nepton Sinclair was a percent right, there's a reason that we mentioned them. So often yep, yep.
Speaker 2: Just something I never learned till we did this episode. Guys, it costs an individual farmer somewhere around two thousand, three thousand dollars to get your even if it's a small farm, to get everything certified organic. And it's because you have to pay one of the roughly eighty certifiers, like literally individual eighty human beings that can certify your farm kickbacks organic. Well, you have to. You have to pay for them to fly from wherever they are, say for a couple.
Speaker 3: Of days, gaining per diem.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean you have to do that as a farmer, right. That's not the USDA doing it or some other It's.
Speaker 3: Not Tyson doing it for you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly, crooking.
Speaker 3: It's a program you can enter in as a contract farmer. This is so what will this all lead to? Time will tell? The clock is ticking? Is the cock crow of disaster on the way? You know, I said the line earlier. I just love it. What rough Avian flu slouches toward Bethlehem to be bored. What's the end results. I think we've been very fair in this episode, or we've endeavored to be fair, giving chicken fans and foes alike, just an understanding of the issues involved.
Speaker 5: I mean, I love chicken. I eat plenty of chicken.
Speaker 4: I really enjoy making, you know, slicing it up and grilling it, putting it on salad, whatever. I know all this stuff, and have known all this stuff before even doing this deeper dive here, and I'm still so removed from all of that that it doesn't affect my purchasing and consuming habits that much. And I know that's the case for a lot of folks. And I want to do better, you know. I mean, it's every time we get into this kind of stuff, it makes me want to change the way I act as a consumer. But it's so easy to just kind of like turn a blind eye to a lot of this stuff, where at least like willfully deceive yourself about what's going on.
Speaker 3: It's also easy to feel that one is attempting to empty the ocean with a bucket, you know, Like, what difference can an individual make? We'd love to hear from people in the industry in particular, you know, what does the public need to know if you're directly connected to this, what are are the potential dangers? In your opinion, overstated. Are they perhaps underestimated? It'd be great to hear from anyone. Do we have anything we want to add before we close tonight's episode. I've got one.
Speaker 5: Thing Mary talked about, Rick Ross.
Speaker 2: What are the lives of the chickens you raise?
Speaker 3: Like?
Speaker 5: For real?
Speaker 2: Because we have often heard the horror stories of the factory farming. What are your chickens lives like?
Speaker 3: Yeah? And have you met a villainous chicken? I really want to hear about this because I only ran into two over a long career of meeting various animals and.
Speaker 2: Were or like hens heads.
Speaker 3: Wow, Okay, it was crazy man anyway, So you can always always email us for that. The very last note here is that if you find yourself in our fair metropolis of Atlanta, Georgia, the best chicken wings in town are at the local, tell them we sent you, and all the way tell us your thoughts with all these questions we've asked, We try to be easy to find via email, via telephonic device, and via the lines. You know, check your chicken scratch to us on the internet.
Speaker 4: And pepper wet y'all try it at the local rules check us out. Sun very good also good excellent choice, Matt. You can find us at the handle conspiracy Stuff, where we exist on Facebook with our Facebook group, where you too can share your preferred recipe for chicken salad and your preferred way of eating a wing in our Facebook group. Here's where it gets crazy. You can also find this at the handle conspiracy Stuff on x FKA, Twitter and on youtubee. We have tons of videos for YouTube check out on Instagram and TikTok. However, we are Conspiracy Stuff Show and there are other ways.
Speaker 2: Yes, you can call us. Our number is one eight three three STDWYTK. When you call in, give yourself a cool nickname and let us know in the message if we can use your name and message on the air. Call in and tell us what your order is from the chicken Salad Chick. We're not sponsored by them. I just do happen to enjoy their food. Do leg your chicken salad.
Speaker 5: You have chicken salad back, Okay.
Speaker 2: I really am used to do it at the old offices in Buckhead all at least once a week. Okay. You've got three minutes in that message, by the way, so keep it a little short if you can't. When you're ready, to send us something longer. When you've got a lot to say, why not instead send us a good old fashioned email.
Speaker 3: We are the entity is that read every piece of correspondence we receive. You don't have to stick to just one way. There are the rules are there are no rules of the email. Let us know what your thoughts are, short or law. Give us the pictures, give us the links, Take us to the edge of the rabbit hole. Will do the rest? Be well aware, yet out afraid. Sometimes the void writes back conspiracy at iHeartRadio dot com.
Speaker 2: Stuff they don't want you to know is a production of iHeartRadio. For more podcasts from iHeartRadio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.