Speaker 1: The volume. Let's talk about something really really important. If you're ever injured, check out Morgan and Morgan's America's largest injury law firm, and they're there for you. Over one hundred offices nationwide. Think about that, more than a thousand lawyers with over twenty billion. That's a b twenty billion dollars recovered for over five hundred thousand clients. Things happen in life unexpectedly. Submitting an injury claim with Morgan and Morgan is really really easy. Like winning in the NFL is hard, we know that quarterbacking in the NFL is hard, Submitting a claim is easy. You're ever injured, check out Morgan and Morgan. Their fee is free unless they win. For more information, go to for Thepeople dot com, slash Colin or dial pound law from your cell phone. Pretty easy. That's for the people dot com slash Colin or pound law pound five to nine from your cell Morgan and Morgan has a proven track record of fighting for you to get a full and fair compensation if there's an unexpected accident in your life. This is a paid advertisement all right time for an instant reaction. I got to be honest, I've already sent Justin Herbert a text. I've poured one tonight just for this thirty four to twenty seven chargers. When whoever won, I was happy, although I did pick the charger, so I'm a little happier, you know. I've said this is when I started the volume. One of the things I really really like. When I was in my twenties and thirties, I was probably just too selfish to help anybody else. I was into my thing and I didn't you know, I was unmarried. And then you get older and older, and you have kids, and you get married, and you know, over time, you know, hopefully you have something in you that you want to see others succeed. And I love seeing young quarterbacks in the NFL get the right coach, and Bonix could have gotten, you know, countless coaches that couldn't help him. And he's still he is still learning. But in that first half, that was all on script, those first two or three series, and bo Nix was great because he's now got his mentor, he's got his kingpin, he's got Sean Payton. Now the second half it's not on script. That's about talent, and Justin Herbert took over. Herbert's more talented, bigger, stronger. He's just a more talented, experienced quarterback. In the NFL, but both of these guys, these two teams last year were thirteen and twenty one. I mean, think about that, and right now they're eighteen and twelve and both are going to make the playoffs. One got a coach and one Sean Payton got a quarterback. And this tonight was a PSA for the league. You get the right coach, you get the right quarterback, you can turn it around in one season. It doesn't even matter in the NBA if you land Jannis or jokicch it takes years and years to build up to be viable in Major League Baseball. I mean, there's just some teams that can't afford it, right. But in the NFL, Houston was a laughing stock, a bottom three team in the league. To meet O'Ryan c J. Stroud playoffs. The Chargers last year, I think by the end of the year they had a team mutiny. They were one of the three worst teams in the league. This defense is all the same guys now. The offense got Joe Alt and Laddi McConkie. No question upgrades, but they're so beat up. Now they're using a defensive tackle. Are the Chargers as one of their skill people, Matt Locke, give me a break. They're using return guys and Quinton Johnson still can't catch. I mean, this is the second half is you know, Joel and Laddi McConkie have obviously helped, but the Chargers are so beat up on the back end of their defense, and they're beat up at tight end. They didn't have Will Disley. You know, they don't have JK. Dobbins, and you know there's still a draft away. They're about six players away. They needed to tight end another running back, although Gus Edwards had a great, huge run of the game. But it just shows you why the NFL is king. You just either get a coach, get a quarterback, or Houston get both and you're a playoff team. And it's just I've always called the NFL the League of hope. But let's first start with the Chargers. They were what did al Michael say tonight? I can't believe al Michaels is this good at eighty. The guy is such a talented guy. Al Michaels is still funny and quick, and he and Herb Street sound like they like each other. Al Michaels is so good at eighty years old, is insane. He just signed for next year, by the way, but you know that he had said at one point the Chargers were like, oh, for their last eleven and games decided by three points or less, they just don't know how to win, you know, they just just don't know how to win. And they take this team at the end of last year. It was a disaster at the end of the year, could have been the worst thing in the league. Same guys on defense, and in fact half the defense and guys in the back end are hurt. Derwin James is healthy in carrying them, but they're all banged up, and look at them. And it was such a testament to Harbaugh's coaching, because, I mean, Harbaugh and Herbert tonight won the game. Harbaugh's halftime adjustments and Jesse Minter and then Herbert in the second half scrambling on a bad ankle for a first down, that throw for a touchdown in the end zone, moving to his left, throwing it off his bad foot. It was just a Herbert Harbaugh second half of just great coaching. Smart adjustments. Herbert doing what he's doing, It's just it makes me really happy. I feel really bad for Caleb Williams. None of it is his fault. I just feel bad for the kid. And maybe it's because in my life I've had really you know, I've been very fortunate that I've landed at good spaces, especially early in my career when I didn't know what the hell I was doing. It's just so important. I tell my kids this all the time. It's not just about you. You're gonna hopefully find somebody that can mentor you cares about your well being and you know, in the job market, and they will make the best out of you. And I feel like that's what Jim Harbaugh is doing to Herbert, and that's what Sean Payton's doing to bow Nicks. Both teams are a draft away, right. Denver didn't have a ton of depth. The Chargers need more weapons and a couple of corners. But in the end of the half sequence was so perfectly Harbaugh. He's competing to the very end. I mean, Jim Harbaugh is competing to the very end. And some people say he's weird, he's intense. Okay, it's the NFL. Belichick was intense, Dan Campbell's intense, John Payton's intense. So into the first half, you know, they get that field goal, and that's just Harriball battling to the end. So there's a big difference between going in down what they would have been and then the field goal. You got a real football game, and trailing eight at half feels a lot different than trailing by twelve. And I mean that kind of momentum into the locker room changed the energy and the juice, And I thought Denver had all the juice in the first half and the Chargers had all of the juice with that field goal going into intermission in the second half, and the Chargers outscored the Broncos twenty four to six once Hardball called that timeout end of the first half and got the free kick before halftime, twenty four to six. Just battling and fighting to the very end. Herbert in the second half, by the way, Jesus and he again he is working with return guys, a first round receiver that can't catch a defensive lineman. Back up running back Herbert in the second half eleven fifteen two touchdowns, passer reigning of one forty two point eight Jesus. I mean, it's just, it is just I just isn't it crazy?
Speaker 2: Is that?
Speaker 1: You know Sean Payton takes this shipwreck Denver. I think I like their GM, but it's a mess. They're in dead cap hell in the AFC. And before the season started, Vegas adam at five and a half wins, and I thought that, I said it was my favorite double wind toadal. I thought they would double that. I thought they'd get in kind of the nine eight nine category. They're gonna make the playoffs. They're in with nine wins now, and they'll they'll win one of their final three games, and I think their cap of winning a playoff game. I don't think Denver's capable of winning two or three, but I think they're capable of winning a playoff game. I feel the same way about the Chargers. They kind of have to win one way. You know, they've got to have Herbert be superman, They've got to have everybody healthy. Pittsburgh's got this feel. Pittsburgh, Denver and the Chargers those are one playoff win teams. Herbert finishes the night about when is it twenty three to thirty one? Three hundred yards. It is. It's just you know, remember a couple of years ago and the media, you know, the media went to a weird thing where it was very sensitive. And I remember about three or four years ago, and the media was just saying, Oh, these Thursday night games, they're unfair to players. Oh give me a break. So I called players, I talked to coaches, and the players I talked to are like, we love Thursday night games. Usually it's a division rival, so you don't have to do a ton of film study. Like tonight, you're playing somebody you know, and it's usually a division game, so the travel isn't too long. It's a two hour flight somewhere, and you don't hit during that week, and then you get almost a second by week. And the media was freaking out about Thursday night games. We've had some sensational Thursday night games. Tonight was sensational. I thought it would be much sloppier. I thought Denver was so crisp in the first half. Now in the second half, Denver, I mean, let's face it, they aided the Chargers on that long drive. They had a couple of guys off sides. That was a huge break there. Were two big moments in the game for me. That the end of the halftime kick, and then Denver had a series of penalties as the Chargers got that big drive which eventually ended up with Herbert making that throw for a touchdown in the end zone. But they have three or four defensive penalties and that really gave them. They really seized momentum and you could hear the crowd a little bit getting into it, and god, that was just fun. Although my phone dranking, it's probably justin Herbert. I'm sorry to be obnoxious. Can I be happy? Okay? So a big topic of conversation before I get the Chad Millman has been the NBA ratings this week, and I saw JJ Reddick said tonight, you know the league needs to be celebrated. No, the NBA needs to be audited. Don't blame the fans because the ratings are down. If you own a restaurant and people aren't buying certain items on the menu, change the menu. The audience is right, the consumer's right. The NBA is celebrated too much. The players are pampered and coddled and not called out enough. I mean good hell. Adam Silver two years ago said our players are miserable. Twitter is making them miserable. Can you imagine a football player saying that, give me a break. The league is celebrated constantly. It needs to be audited, It needs to be held accountable. Load management's crap. The three point shooting is gross. In fact, did you notice who talked about the three point shooting? Lebron James was asked about the All Star Game changes and he dropped an F bomb and said, here's what I notice. Teams are shooting way too many threes. Lebron James said that a guy that loves the game. Joe Mizzoula, the coach of the Celtics, was asked this week about the ratings and he said, yeah, I don't watch our game either. So that's the championship coach and the best player in the last twenty years criticizing the league from a position of power, not seeking attention. In fact, Lebron didn't want to go into it. He kept saying, I don't want to get too into it. So the people that are criticizing the NBA are not bringing a hatchet. They're not anti this or pro nostalgia. When your stuff isn't selling, change the menu. Rob Manford did, and Adam Silver needs to for the record, when you make changes to your menu, to your business, the consumer always responds, ohways, I mean baseball was in a fifteen year drought. Rob Manfred made two changes. The ratings went up the last two years. This year they went through the roof during the postseason. People want to watch sports. I want to watch the NBA. I tried watching the championship NBA Cup Oklahoma City was five to thirty two from threes. It was awful. It was unwatchable. It was drack. So you know, nobody's against the NBA. People at criticize it. Watch it. I watch it all the time. I don't really get into it until the football season's done. But you know by February, you know, you have the two weeks before the Super Bowl. I start watching thirty minutes a night, forty minutes a night. So I thought it was interesting that Joe Missoula and Lebron James both came out and were critical esthetically of the current product. It's not a good watch and when something falls off the cliff in two years, three years, got to look in the mirror. It's not about celebrating it's about auditing. That's something baseball did recently and something the NFL does annually. NFL is King for a lot of reasons. One of the reasons the ability to self police, self monitor and course correct. Well, it's the most wonderful time of the year for getting in on all the basketball, football hockey action at DraftKings sports Book. It's the season of giving, so we're being gifted college football and basketball, pro football, basketball pro hockey to almost twenty four to seven. It's an absolutely great time of the year. So a lot of games every day, so many opportunities to place your first bet. Now, if you're gonna bet for the first time, just make it simple. Pick a team to win, any team. Go to Draftking sports Book. They have an app. Download it ninety seconds. Here's the gift for all new customers. Bet five bucks, just five bucks. If your bet wins, you get one hundred and fifty dollars in bonus bets. Download the Draft King Sportsbook app. The code is Colin coln Newcuss one hundred and fifty bucks in bonus bets if you had five bucks in it wins. Happy Holidays from DraftKings. Crown is yours.
Speaker 3: Gambling problem called one eight hundred gambler in New York called eight seven seven eight hope and why, or text hope and why four six seven, three six nine. In Connecticut, help is available for problem gambling called eight eight eight seven eight nine seven seven seven seven or visit CCPG dot org. Please play responsibly on behalf of Boothill Casino in Resorting, Kansas twenty one and over. Agent eligibility varies by jurisdiction Voyd and Ontario Bett must win to receive reward. Bonus bets expire one hundred and sixty eight hours after issue ins four. Additional terms and responsible gaming resources see DKNG dot co.
Speaker 4: Slash bball. Let's talk about the Chicago Bears. So they lost to the Vikings.
Speaker 1: I didn't think Sam Darnold played particularly well, but he's getting the ball to TJ. Hawkinson, Jordan Addison, and Justin Jefferson, so he's getting the ball to the right people. I thought he was a little high, missed some throws, but overall Minnesota was picked for third or fourth. I mean, it's all gravy at this point. First, let's start with the Chicago Bears. There are a couple franchises in this league that are just broken, and I think the Chicago Bears are top of the list. It's a broken franchise. The mccaskeys are arguably the worst owners in the league, oldest and among the poorest. Really out of touch. Kevin Warrens the president. I've been told for years, highly political. Charles Robinson of Yahoo reporting today that you know somebody that seeks power and to retain power. That's a little what I was told years ago. Don't know him personally, but that's what I've been told from two sources. I trust Ryan Poles is young. You know, I'm hit and miss on polls. I love the Monte Montes sweat deal, the DJ Moore deal. I don't think he's the problem in the organization. I think Ryan Poles is struggling with the people above him. But a great example of the dysfunction. So Matt Ebraflus, a defensive coach, was fired. Well, defensive coaches don't have the offensive connections that offensive coaches do. I mean, there is a reason Andy Reid keeps hiring really good offensive coaches right like their offense. Now, Reid does most of the play calling, but Doug Peterson got a head coaching job. Matt Naggy got a head coaching job, and by the way, got Mitt Trubisky to the playoffs twice. So you can say all you want about Matt Naggy. You die for Matt Naggy now in Chicago. And then there's a reason that Belichick had to rely on Josh McDaniels. When Josh left. You know, Bill was scrambling to find an offensive coordinator, but Sean McVay can find one every two years. So Thomas Brown was under Shane Waldron. Well, Eberflus doesn't have a lot of great offensive connections, clearly because when Shane Waldron left Chicago of Seattle, he was criticized. They rolled their eyes at him. He went to Chicago, it was a mess with Caleb Williams. Then Thomas Brown, who's a bright young guy. He coached with the Rams, but you know he is an interim head coach. He's had. This is his third different job this season with the Bears. I mean, HR is probably asking him to slow down so they can get his paycheck, right, I'm not going to blame him, but eber flu selected this staff and it's not very good. I think it's a broken franchise. And you know, my take is, if you're really honest about it, you know what they remind me of. I was thinking about it tonight. They remind me a lot. The Bears are the Chargers last season where they had a talented young quarterback, some really nice pieces, but major cultural issues and what did they do. They went and got Jim Harbaugh to fix it. And that's why Mike frabels the higher Vrabel is Dan Campbell less, reckless, He's Jim Harbaugh, but to this point hasn't been as successful. He's a really smart guy. He's a culture changer. There's no bullshit with him. He's very honest and very upfront, and he got to an AFC championship, you know, with Tennessee. So I just think Vrabel's the call here. Vrabel, you know, and I've talked to Mike about this. Vrabel is the kind of guy that will come in and the only thing that would get in his way is a Kevin Warren level executive that was trying to retain power. If Frabel has some saying personnel, he's pretty good at that and has a great relationship with the general manager who he can answer to and trust I think Rabel could win immediately. I think you know again, I'll say this, the Bears have a Chargers feel now. The Chargers are not going to go from what they were last year to a super Bowl. They need another draft. They have to hit on another receiver, maybe another tight end, another running back. They need more pieces offensively, and the Bears with Rabel are not winning a super Bowl, especially out of that division. And I think the Bears need to shore up the offensive line, but more than that, you know, maybe another edge rusher. More than that, I think it's just a cultural modification is what they need. But it's rough. I mean, you can say what you want about the Jets and Woody Johnson, and I think he's one of the weaker owners, but they have a good roster. Aaron's played well in the last three to four weeks. He's had one hundred plus passer rating I think on average over the last four weeks. The Giants have issues, but you know, there's some pieces there that defensive front, and la Mars don't want to fire Brian Dable because they've run through coaches, but the team looks like they've quit. But with Chicago there's just I mean, there's just not much to like. I like Montes Sweat and Jayalen Johns. I like Caleb Williams. You know, DJ Moore, Swift, the running back, there's some Pete Cole command, there's some pieces I like, But I don't know what you do other than hire Mike Vrabel. This is not a job for a coordinator. Give me a break. You're not going to get a Ben Johnson here, Bobby Slowick. It's not going to turn this thing around. You're a mile from that. And I'll make this argument, I think, And I talked to Mike Vrabel about this, and my suggestion to him is, I'm not sure if I take a job this year, I think next year you could have much more attractive openings. If Joe Burrow is getting really tired of Zach Taylor, the coach of Cincinnati, they won't fire him at the end of this year. But if Joe Burrow makes demands, Zach Taylor's in trouble next year. For Joe Burrow to ream Zach Taylor out, knowing he's on TV the way he reamed him out. Burrow's got no time for this nonsense in Cincinnati. So that job could be open next year. I think Mike McCarthy in Dallas, I think he's probably saved his job, right, he's probably saved it. And if Dallas can move Michael Parsons get a couple of first round picks, hit on those you know, who knows. But also I think that could be open. So you know, seven different coaches get whacked every year. I just don't like the job openings. I love Caleb Williams Chicago. To me is it feels like quicksand for a coach. You know, Jacksonville's got an opening. There's a reason everybody fails here in Jacksonville. It just since Tom Coughlin left, it's just dead coach walking. Nobody works there. So there's got to be something systemic within the organization. And I think what you're really seeing now. And I was having this discussion this weekend with somebody I respect a lot, and he said, you know, you just you start looking around this league and it's just the power of ten. There's about ten good gms, ted good owners, ten good quarterbacks, ten good left tackles, and I just don't like. If you're Mike Vrabel, I don't like what's out there. I love Chicago, it's a great city. They're good pieces. But man, anybody watching this show, watching this podcast, or listening, it does not matter how good the employees are. If ownership and management is sideways, it doesn't matter. I've said this before. I've been really fortunate. I had a really good ownership in Las Vegas my first job. Obviously, ESPN and Fox are well run companies. At Portland, I thought we had good ownership, good management. I worked in Tampa for a couple of years and really really talented people in the newsroom, photo journalists, producers, reporters, anchors. It was not the employees. I thought management was a circus and I'll just leave it at that, and you couldn't overcome it. And it was a real learning moment for me, is that the employee base was the best I'd ever worked with. At the time, I thought there was just so many talented people. Our sports department was just really fun, clever, smart people. But you can't like in Chicago. It doesn't matter if Rabel's the coach and he's trying to change things eventually, if people are political upstairs. I mean it's it's like, look at the Jets, they fire Robert Sali the best coach on the staff. I mean, going into a game against Buffalo, if they won it, there they were in first place. I mean they fired Joe Douglas. Well, Douglas got Devonte Adams, who's playing great now. Joe Douglas missed on a quarterback. But Joe Douglass. That Jets roster they've got, dudes, I mean they really do. They're going to get another very good first round pick this year. They've got a left tackle for the future, they've got their corner, they've got weapons. I mean they can they can really be selected. The Jets could move down in the first round and get four or five. You know, if they moved down and got another second round pick or a second and a fourth round pick, you could have five new starters on the team next year. And I think the Jets, I mean, they really have their weapons. They have their left tackle, the Penn State kid, a couple of good receivers, good corners, pass rushers. So I mean, I I mean I thought saw when Joe Douglas were capable.
Speaker 2: They're both out.
Speaker 1: So there's nothing you can do if upstairs is messed up. There's just in my experience in life. There's nothing you can do, you know, it's I make picks blazing five, and I had another terrible week. Generally, I've been doing this Blazing five thing for like twenty years, and on average I hit about fifty six percent, fifty five, fifty seven percent. This is my worst year easily. I don't know why. I've just struggled all year long. But I'm actually it's funny because on the b preseason predictions for division champions, I've actually had the best year I've ever had. I had Buffalo, Kansas City, Baltimore and the Texans winning their division. If Baltimore beats the Steelers Saturday, I'll be four for four. Heading to the last couple of weeks, I had Philly, the Rams, Green Bay, and the Falcons winning their divisions. Philly and the Rams du lead. Green Bay and the Falcons still have a shot, although Atlanta right now they'll beating the Raiders tonight. They got to get quarterback solved. My two dark horse teams were Washington and Denver. They'll both make the playoffs. So I actually have in terms of predictions, I think I've had a really good year. I don't know why. I'm struggling so much. I've just been out of rhythm. You know. The weekends I take favorites, they go belly up. The weekends I take dogs. I have the wrong ones. But I love doing it, and I always feel bad. I don't mind losing money. I don't like anybody else to lose it. But I've been picking football games for so long. You know an old story. When I first moved to Las Vegas, I had no money, I was out of college, and I drove down to Vegas in a blue AMC Pacer that later caught fire. A couple of years later, on Charleston and Oak Streets in Las Vegas, I had Texaco station I pulled in my car was on fire. And I remember when I first moved to Vegas, I'd never met football games, and so I was a huge Pack ten fan, and so I really started hitting on a lot of Pac ten picks because all the games weren't televised. I knew the Pacific Northwest teams really well because I was from there. I remember one year, I think I was like ten and one on Oregon State games. I just could not miss on the Beavers. And I just love picking football games. But I have stunk this year. And what's interesting is that Nick Wright and Danny Parkins at FS one have both been on fire, hitting like sixty five percent. So congrats to those guys.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: My overall takeaway really on the playoffs this year is there's not a lot of surprises. I mean, right now, I have If Baltimore beats the Steelers Saturday, I'll have you know, six of the eight teams I picked to win the division winning and Green Bay and the Falcons close. What is pretty clear, and the reason I picked those teams to win the division was like head coach and quarterback. And so I think the one thing I look at this year is a real positive. I think Caleb can play. I think Jayden Daniels can play. I think Bone Knicks can play. My guess is JJ McCarthy can play. I don't know what the hell's going on with Michael Pennix, because I really liked him out of college. I thought he was a bigger, stronger, better deep ball to and Tua is more than capable, but he just can't throw the ball deep down field. He's not good against pressure or really elite defenses or in cold weather. You have to qualify everything with Tua. I think panic Sort is a much better sharper, deep ball, stronger, longer, just a bigger athlete. But I think we have a chance to go five for five with quarterbacks. And this is not a great quarterback year in college. But if the quarterbacks go four for five or five for five this group of quarterbacks, it will be the third draft since around twenty eighteen where you've had multiple first round quarterbacks hit. And I don't think we'll ever get to a saturation point where you know everybody's got their quarterback. But I don't remember a time where there were this many good quarterbacks. I mean, I mean, even Aaron Rodgers in the last month has been unbelievable. Jordan Love Jyaln Hurts this weekend was sensational. You know, bo Nix makes mistakes, but he's clearly a franchise guy. His toughness, his athletic ability. He's had a better arm I think in the pros and I thought he had in college. So I think, big picture, as the leagues become more have and have nots, I think we had another bumper quarterback draft class. I only saw JJ McCarthy in the preseason. But in the couple appearances, I thought he was really quick, really nimble, and he reminded me a little bit of Sam Darnold that he was really aggressive. And I think Kevin O'Connell's proven the Vikings head coach, he can coach a lot of that out of you. And another part of this quarterback journey is there's better quarterback coaches. I mean this, so I think the guy down in Tampa, Liam Cohen under Baker Mayfield, who was briefly in Los Angeles, I think he's going to get looks. I think the quality of offensive coaching has really improved. That's why you're seeing Donald and Baker Mayfield a rebirth. I think there's sensational coaching offensively. I didn't feel that fifteen years ago in the NFL. I think it's everywhere, and I think the talent's everywhere. So I mean, yesterday we had a really ugly one o'clock window. It was the first time all year I was bored watching the NFL where I thought, man, we just this is just a batterly window. But I mean this weekend, the college and the pro games this weekend starting Friday night, Indian at Notre Dame. The next Friday, Saturday Sunday could be the most sensational three day stretch of football any year, and a lot of it is because of quarterback play and very sharp offensive coaching. All right, Time for Sharper Square my buddy Chad Millman, co host of the Favorites All Odds provided by DraftKings. You know, listen, the college football games this weekend won't get the NFL numbers because nothing in the world does. But there's some heaters and we'll get to that in about fifteen minutes. There's some fascinating games. I mean, I'm sorry, it doesn't make any sense because he's been so good. But if Ryan Day loses home to Tennessee, it's gonna be a shit storm in Columbus. It's gonna be crazy. So we'll get to that in fifteen minutes. Let's do Sharper Square. I've had a terrible year. I've had my worst year ever doing this, and I don't really know. I don't want to outthink the room. I'm about fifty five percent every year. I'm not a pro gambler, but I think I'm you know, in the ballpark. I've been terrible this year, and I can't. You know, I think a lot of it is I've always liked value and underdogs, and it just weeked a week. Some weeks I go dogs, favorites win, some week I go favorites. So I'm just going to give you my thought on this. The Chiefs are now three and a half point favorites. It's more stay away now. But when it was two and a half, even with Carson Wentz potentially playing, I love Kansas City. I think Carson Wentz for a week is fine for a season. You can't trust his health, so I would imagine it three and a half. The Sharps like the Texans. But if so, I like the two and a half and three Kansas City. Now, if I say I like Kansas City, is it square?
Speaker 2: Totally square? Yeah?
Speaker 5: The wise guys are playing the three and a half because up until last weekend, anytime you're betting on Patrick Mahomes as a more than three point favorite, you're making a negative ROI bet he just has not won as a favorite of more than three. Last weekend, obviously he did. They were four and a half point favorites. They covered, But even in that game, you saw the pressure getting to Mahomes consistently. You saw them lose the Browns because Jameis Winston had two interceptions in the end zone that were from in the Chiefs end zone from about his thirty yard line, so killing two drives. Plus they had three other turnovers, including to open the game. You look at that game, the defense gave up seven points, right, and so that game was closer statistically than you would imagine by.
Speaker 2: The score itself. So there is going to be a sentiment.
Speaker 5: You take the Texans at plus three and a half, at two and a half, one hundred percent people were still taking the Chiefs. That's why the number got all the way up to three and a half.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So a prime example, the Steelers get beat and pretty soundly by Philadelphia. But what's lost in that game because they had eighty yards in the first half and only trailed seventeen thirteen in Philly. If Najee Harris doesn't fumble, we got ourselves a football game. Yes, to give the Steelers six and a half the you know what the Ravens are. They got they're the Mike Tyson. They cross their bullies first round knockouts against bad teams. You push them back. You make them think Baltimore can get beat by a lot of good teams. Pittsburgh pushes back. Tomlin is a six and a half point underdog, So I this to me is the steel of the week. Pittsburgh plus six and a half in Baltimore Sharper square.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Wise guys love this bad and it's almost become a blind bet in this series. Whise guys like Mike Tomlin as an underdog. Anyways, you're right that game, Nijie Harris, the Steelers were outplayed.
Speaker 2: And in the middle of the third the game fumbled the ball.
Speaker 5: If he doesn't fumble the ball, they're on the sixteen yard line. They're at least kicking a field goal to make it a twenty sixteen game, or they're scoring a touchdown to make it twenty twenty. Changes the game, right, Mike Tomlin. Mike Tomlin and Rob Ross spots any way you slice and dice it. Mike Tomlin as an underdog is the best coach in a generation against the spread. He is best coach in a generation winning straight up as an underdog in this series, specifically as a dog of three or more versus the Ravens, he is six and oh straight up, there are six and oh against the spread. He's thirteen two and two against spread versus Harbaugh when the line in this series is three or more points the past twenty years, so it's the Harbaugh Tomlin rain. The underdog is twenty three four and three against the spread. It's twenty fifteen underdogs sixteen into sixteen too and.
Speaker 2: One against the spread.
Speaker 5: So like, yeah, that there are times where you're nervous about playing into these trends. And we talked about this on the show last week betting the Steelers fading the Chiefs. Those were times we were nervous, Like it happens six times out of ten. This time it's happening eight times out of ten. So yeah, you're playing the Steelers.
Speaker 1: I like the forty nine ers plus one at the Dolphins. I think one of the things that's become pretty clear with the Dolphins is if they're not playing an oppressive humidity at home, they get pushed around by more physical teams. I think they're the ultimate finesse team in this league. And you know, as I watched them against Houston, it's just bubble screens. That's all they do. The two is now throwing forty times a game. That's way too much for two. With the teams like the Packers and the Eagles have scaled back with more talented quarterbacks to throw twenty four times a game. I think the forty nine ers, I think it comes down to pride. For brock Purty, it comes down to a contract. I like the forty nine ers. Here sharper square.
Speaker 5: Sharp ish, like the line opened one and a half. It's been bet down obviously from mean one and a half to one. For a minute, very hot minute, the Niners were favorites and then it sort of bounced back a little bit. But that money that's moving it is professional money in favor of the Niners. Not a huge sort of feeling on that game. They just sort of think that the Niners are probably a more physical team. Are they getting more healthy? They don't believe in the Dolphins is the bigger component of their thinking.
Speaker 1: Okay, the Colts were dominating the Broncos until Jonathan Taylor and it was a blowout. They go home now and have to swallow three and a half. But the Titans are they have Benchwill Levis. I was texting a GM this week and I said, I think if you gave Sam Darnold. With the Colts, they have the Viking season. I like their personnel. I mean, I haven't seen anybody this year, including the Chiefs, push the Broncos around, especially in Denver. I mean it was a mismatch. Three picks for bow Knicks. I think Indy, I don't care what the line is. I think they're going to come back. I think they're I think Chris Ballard's jobs in the line, Anthony Richardson's careers on the line, Shane Steichen with that trick play that got a pick six. I think Indy is inflamed, and I think they blow the Titans out Sharper square.
Speaker 5: So the wise guys are on Tennessee. This line was at four and a half even when Will Levis was possibly the quarterback. It's been beat down immediately with Mason Rudolph as the quarterback. The Wise guys have liked the Titans a lot this year. They've also liked the Colts this year. Their biggest fear is betting Anthony Richardson as a favorite. Like, if you want to talk about comps, the comps for Anthony Richardson and his completion percentage Right now, Tim Tebow and Akille Smith in the past twenty five years. This season will go down as one of the worst in completion percentage because of how badly Anthony Richardson is playing. And I think there was a sentiment after he was benched, he came back and he looked like he was a little bit more in control. They were putting him in better positions. He was just awful against the Broncos. They were winning that game in spite of him. And look like I was on the Colts last week, Jonathan Taylor dropping that ball was gut wrenching. I was on the Steelers last week, Nigee Harris dropping that ball, well, and this was all happening. If you're watching red Zone, this is like boom boom boom. It was just like gut punch after cup punch after gut punch. As a better but you felt like and I felt like Colts had no chance to get back into that game after they gave up the lead, because Anthony and Richardson can't win you a game, so they're going to have to dominate on the ground in order to cover this three and a half. And at the end of the day, he got to win by four points. That's a relatively big number on what should be a run heavy game in which the clock is running a lot. So I think the wise guys are still like in Tennessee in the hook.
Speaker 1: Part of me says I should love the Bears at home plus six and a half against Detroit. Jared Goff outside bad Weather, I defended Caleb Williams this week. He has more touchdown passes than Justin Herbert and Kyler Murray, more passing yards than Jalen Hurts, and hasn't had an interception since Halloween. Is that if you just look at the record, you would think he's awful and it's like, no, actually, all things considered now that he's with the third coach at home Detroit, defensively, I mean it's bad. It is. I mean eight nine yards a chunk. I think I like Chicago at home plus six and a half sharper square.
Speaker 5: Well, look, the wise guys like Chicago at home when it was at seven and a half and seven And this is one hundred percent a number play. You're not going to find anyone taking it at six and a half. If you're taking it at six and a half, We've talked about this you're just not getting the best of the number, and long term, that's a bad way to try to win games. You might win once in a while, but long term you want to be on the right side of the number. So the wise guys took the seven and a half. They took the seven. I think this is a really tricky game. At six and a half is a home dog in the division. Of course, I want to be on the Bears. I can't find a way to get that. I'm not saying I'm going to bet Detroit. But there's two schools of thought on Jared Goff. Jared Goff outside is terrible. Jared Goff indoors is unbeatable. Obviously that happened last week, so it's a hyperbole. But he tends to cover when he is indoors, tends to not when he is outside, and he is a covering machine over the past five years. I look at this in a different way. Sure, their defense is beat up, but all they have to do is hand the ball to Jamiir Gibbs. Because this Bears rush defense is just atrocious, like putrid. They are giving up one hundred yards every single game no matter who they play. Saw it again, last week against Minnesota. So I do worry that Detroit is going to come out in a bad mood and try to prove that there's still the class of the NFC. Run the ball down the bear's throat, and it doesn't really matter what Kayleb Williams does or what the weather is, they might dominate this game. So I can't I can't tell you at six and a half, you're making a good call.
Speaker 1: Okay, Rams is now only minus three. I would take them against the Jets. It was three and a half. I think the Jets played the last two weeks. DeVante Adams and Aaron Rodgers, you know, have clicked. But the Rams are playing for the playoffs and the Jets are playing for pride. I mean, between the documentary between Garrett Wilson wanting a trade, the story about Woody Johnson's kids, this has been a messy week for the Jets. I can gladly swallow the three for a much better team and a much more functional offense. Rams minus three sharper square.
Speaker 2: I mean why look, wise guys have been on the Jets. Oh week.
Speaker 5: The wise guys have been on the Jets for much of the year, and much to their dismay. Jeff Ulbrick, the coach, seems to find ways to play them out of wins and covers and then make the stupidest mistakes that actually leads them into a cover that they never should have covered. Right last week, he's going for the touchdown with a minute left when the Jacks have two timeouts. They end up covering the three point spread, winning by six, when really he should have kneeled down and left no time and kicked a field goal. Week before, making bad decisions at the end of the game, they end up losing the game to the Dolphins and not even covering the three point spread because they lose by six in overtime. So he's a menace when it comes to clock management, and he's a menace for betters.
Speaker 2: But the wise guys do love the Jets.
Speaker 5: Right now, Aaron Rodgers has been playing significantly better the.
Speaker 2: Past two weeks.
Speaker 5: You could argue, well, the old man went to Florida, and when you're old and you're in Florida, you're going to feel better. And now he's got to come back and play in the cold in New Jersey. But there is something about the Rams and the fact that they have to go into the cold too. Stafford does not perform as well then. And also, this is a team you get late in the year. You get teams that are what I like to call good ish, right fifty to sixty percent in terms of winning percentage, and they're playing bad teams on the road. That is a recipe for disaster in terms of covering the spread. Not saying they're going to lose, but those games tend to be closer. So the wise guys are definitely back in the Jets this week.
Speaker 1: Okay, I'm not prone to do this, but green Bay minus fourteen against the Saints just screams take the Packers. I thought their win at Seattle was so impressive because I do think Seattle has excellent defensive coaching. This has been a year of the favorites. I think the most underrated player in the league is Jordan Love. I think he's a magnificent talent. I think the Saints feel like a dead franchise. I think green Bay still has a chance. They really believe it. I think they're a better team this morning or this afternoon than Detroit. I don't like fourteen point favorites, but they're covering and favorites are covering, and I feel like I've got a ascending, young, healthy team against the dead franchise. I think Green Bay is one of the few places where home field is still three to three and a half points sharper square.
Speaker 5: Well, look, you're never gonna get a sharp confirmation on a fourteen point favorite. There are two fourteen point favorites this week, the Packers over the Saints the Bills over the Patriots. There's been more of a conversation around the Bills as fourteen point favorites. That line actually ticked up to fourteen and a half, and that was very much professionals betting on the Bills a team. Then it came down then some professionals, not a whole lot of them, but a couple of them were like, yeah, that's what half a point too far the Packers, Like, sure, there's nobody who's thinking they want to bet on the Saints, but there's not a rush to the window on the Packers. Everything you just said, everyone agrees with.
Speaker 2: It's why.
Speaker 5: Actually, the wise guys were on the Packers last week against the Seahawks.
Speaker 1: That was my favorite.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, mine too. It's your only bet.
Speaker 5: I won last week and so they were on him at two and a half. That was a great spot for the Packers, right. They had just lost a really hard game to the Lions, and I think that game gave them the confidence that you just talked about. You saw the mastery with which Lafour calls a game. Jordan Love has been much more cautious with the ball, hasn't been throwing interceptions. I think the Packers believe they are in the same class as the Vikings and the Lions and the Eagles, and I'd be hard pressed to disagree. I think it's harder to win as to touchdown favorites against a Saints team that like from a from a from a wise guy perspective. They just don't like this game as much as they would like the Bills and the Patriots. And I can tell you why they like the Bills against the Patriots if that would be interesting to you.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Please.
Speaker 5: So this is the win, Josh Allen the MVP game. Right, there's talk this week because Lamar Jackson threw five touchdowns against the Giants that maybe he should be MVP. And you saw the MVP odds shrink a little bit. The Bills tend to blow these teams out anyways. Right, they are a team that has a winning record as big favorites in these games in the division, outside the division at home, they tend they don't play down to the level of the competition. Their offense can do whatever it wants against the Patriots. If the Patriots are down early, their record against the spread it's like seven and twenty one the past two years, like they are a terrible team. They cannot recover. So if the Bills get out to lead early, which they tend to do, it's a great spot. The one concern is, you know, the Bill's secondary has a lot of injuries, but there's really no concerns about the Patriots offense. They got Drake may who's slinging it and trying his best. But right now Gerrod Mayo was throwing Alex Van Pelt under the bus about their offense.
Speaker 2: There's just a lot of turmoil there.
Speaker 5: So the wise guys, if they're betting a big favorite, they're more inclined to bet the Bills than the Packers.
Speaker 1: All Right, I want to talk some college football now, because I do think in Indiana, Notre Dame and a lot of its weather, I think it's going to be pretty close. I think Notre Dame is a great run team. Indiana is a kind of a peculiar unique run defense. I think really good coaches with time can employ, you know, competitive strategies. We know that Ohio State in Columbus on a nice day to play football is better significantly. Notre Dame doesn't have Ohio State's talent, and I also think Indiana now has extra time to prepare. I think Notre Dame has a ceiling offensively, whereas Ohio State doesn't. They just played down to their competition. Notre Dame has a ceiling, and I think Indiana is going to So I really like Indiana plus seven. How do the wise guys view it?
Speaker 5: Yeah, look the numbers come down because wise guys are betting Indiana and Indiana's look been a covering machine this year. Yes, obviously that Ohio State game was the biggest challenge. They also didn't cover against Michigan, but that was at a time when Michigan was starting to get better. And the next week they went on and they beat Ohio State. So that was a much more physical game. Ohio State Indiana had some bad plays and they were outclassed, and you could see the talent difference.
Speaker 2: I'm with you. The wise guys are with you, and the way.
Speaker 5: Indiana matches up a little bit better with Notre Dame and the time and look, you can't help but listen to Kurt Signetti and know that he's playing this game and has got his players playing this game with a huge chip on their shoulder.
Speaker 2: And we've talked about this.
Speaker 5: One of the reasons Indiana won this year and why it was able to achieve when other teams that are leaning into the portal weren't able to achieve, is because they brought in grown up college football players. They didn't bring in five star recruits who are going to be there for a year and go to the NFL. They brought in guys who are just really good at college football. And this is a great college football game. And there is a nuanced difference when I say a college football game here, that's the style of game this is gonna be. It's going to be physical, it's going to be about execution, it's going to be about not necessarily the best athletes, but the people who do their jobs the best.
Speaker 2: So I love this game for Indiana.
Speaker 1: I like the under on Clemson Texas, mostly not because Texas is going to score a ton. I don't think Clemson can score much on Texas. I'm gonna take Texas minus twelve. I really feel it has a chance to be thirty to ten. I think the Texas defense is sensational, and I think the Clemson offense it's almost like that SMU game felt like their bowl game. I think both SMU and Clemson are going to get totally outclassed in their bowl games. I like the under, but I'm gonna take Texas minus twelve. I think this. Remember Clemson doesn't go to the transfer portal. They have holes. Yeah, Texas out recruits them and goes to the transfer portal. And also Texas's offense over the last three weeks, I don't think they'll pause. If quin your struggles, I think they'll go to Arts Manning. I don't think they'll pause going forward. I like Texas to roll here sharper square.
Speaker 5: Totally sharp, Like if you're looking I'm looking in the Action app right now. It's just checking it out and you can see in the app, you can see the betting tickets and you can see the money percentages on each side, and betting tickets is usually an indication of the public. That's the squares who are betting ten dollars twenty dollars, and there's a lot of volume of tickets. Money usually represents where the wise guys are. So the tickets right now are on Clemson, the money is on Texas. And I agree with you, and the wise guys agree with you. That defense they have is us fierce, Like they did a job on Georgia. And if Texas's offense could execute a little bit better, then we wouldn't be having this conversation about who's the who is the SEC champion would have been Texas. So, like, that defense is so freaking good and it's a veteran defense. Again, we're talking about like guys who've been playing college football for a while, and I think that's an advantage here.
Speaker 1: So the game, I'm going to ask you to handicap. I don't get the line. So the line is telling me Ohio State's gonna win because it hasn't moved much. So Tennessee's defensive line is significantly better than Ohio State's offensive line, meaning Ohio State's gonna have to throw and it may only be fifteen degrees. But this line is telling me that out after that Michigan loss, Ohio State is pissed and Ryan Day's jobs on the line, and Josh Heipels isn't and it's in Columbus and it is a warm weather SEC team, So the line is telling me that Ohio State's gonna win this comfortably. That's what it's telling me. Otherwise, when it came out seven and a half, the Sharps would have jumped all over this. I mean, Tennessee's the best rushing team in the SEC going into cold weather. It just screams to you, low scoring, take the points. But the line's not moving, and that tells me the Sharps like Ohio State, do they?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean, look, it's settled in where it's at, right, and that is because it's been It's kind of the advantages is not for Tennessee because of some of these situations that you just talked about, And there is some feeling that this is such a desperate spot for Ryan Day. It's been seven and a half almost since it opened. It was at six and a half for about thirty seconds. Wise, guys took the six and a half. They bet Tennessee at six and a half, right, but there was so much other sentiment coming in on Ohio State that it moved up.
Speaker 2: So Ryan Day is in a spot. And we've talked about this.
Speaker 5: There was a story in the Wall Street Journal today about Ohio State fans people calling in to local radio about Max Crosby, who know the Lions, the Raiders defensive lineman who's out for the year. On his podcast, he's a massive Ohio State fan, talking about how he wants the team to lose so they get rid of Ryan Day. That is a weird thing to be talking about when you've got a coach who has won as much as he has. But I think you and I agree every game for him is going to be a must win game. And unless they win the championship or they get there and they are so dominant, and he puts himself in a position even if they lose, it's a way to rebuild the goodwill. It's a Michigan or bust program. And he hasn't beaten them, and they haven't gotten over it, you know.
Speaker 1: I think sometimes one of the things I love about sports is when there's cultural changes. I like to be I like to predict what they are. I love the theories and my systems on like what's changing. So something's happening in college football, and college football fans don't yet know it. So in the NFL, it's almost understood that you've got to give a staff a couple of years, right, Like, there's just it's just really hard. The margins are thin. Well, I think the Ohio States and the Georgia's and the Texas fans. You know, you've always been able to line up and just beat teams. And one of the reasons is over a long season is your backups were as good as their starters. And football's regulated the level levels of violence. So there's college and pro. There's injuries, but the transfer portal and NIL has eliminated depth at the blue bloods Georgia, Texas, Clemson. So when you do suffer injuries and the season is now longer than ever, your backups are produced starters, that's all they are. And so these Ohio States and these big Notre Dame, these big traditional powers as the season goes on, I mean, look at look at our twelve team playoff. Arizona States in IT, SMUs in IT, Boise States in IT, like, and these these are live dogs like and so I don't think quite college football fans understand not only are players getting paid that it looks more like pro football, but your backup stink just like pro football. Detroit's defense now has six backups. It's terrible. A month ago it was excellent. And so what and what what creates that the salary cap? You have bad backups in the NFL? Nobody has depth in the NFL. You either like Philadelphia's got great front line starters. AJ Brown's out. It's not the same offense. Right, Saquon Barkley's out, it's not the same offense. We've almost understood that in pro football you need your starters. And when you get injury plagged Buffalo Detroit's defense, you're like, what the hell's going on? Well, everybody knows you don't have good college That was never the point. Top ten teams just had better backups. I mean, eighty five scholarships allows you to have four pro offensive tackles. If you're Ohio State, now they have two. One gets hurt, you move a guard to left tackle. They're all lion stakes. It's Iowa at best.
Speaker 5: So you're you're totally right, that's an on the field problem, but culturally for fandom, yeah, the beauty of college football, it's always been Michigan Ohio State rivalry weekend. You know, Alabama Tennessee or Alabama Auburn. You know these games they had so much much meaning because there was a lot on the line.
Speaker 2: You couldn't lose that game.
Speaker 5: I think what Ohio State is struggling with and what a lot of schools will struggle with in the future, is you focus so much on that one rivalry game and that's all you care about. Because college football has always been so provincial. Now it's a national game. The SEC is spread out all over, The Big Ten is literally nationwide. These are the only two conferences that really kind of matter. And so the provincial, local rivalries that college fan bases have built their mindset on, have built their self worth on, have built their fandom on. They need to move on from those really meaning anything because they kind of don't. If Io State loses to Michigan for the next ten years, but they win the national title in five of those years, is that going to be better or worse? As a fan Like, they need to come to grips with a new reality of what these rivalry games mean in terms of the broader picture, because they used to mean everything. It wasn't just about beating Michigan. It was about beating Michigan and what it meant for winning the Big Ten and going to the Rose Bowl, or what it meant for winning the Big Ten and then being in the College Football Playoff or winning the BCS and getting a better rating.
Speaker 2: Those things don't matter anymore.
Speaker 5: So the rivalries and the expectations for what these rivalries mean need to be adjusted. I also think it's just going to diminish the value of those games for fans. My kid, he's going to be in college next year. He's gotten into Indiana, he got into Penn State, wherever he decides to go. Are the rivalries for those schools going to mean as much to him twenty years from now as they do to me and my friends who also went to Indiana?
Speaker 2: Probably not.
Speaker 1: Do you have an NFL bet this weekend that you would label your favorite.
Speaker 5: H Well, look, I'm middle Kansas City, So I bet Kansas City plus two and a half on Sunday night and then and you mean you know it was plus two and a half, like on Monday morning. I'm sorry when the news about what was happening with Holmes was still unclear. The Chiefs were two and a half point underdogs, so I bet him two and a half, and then when it became clear that he was going to be playing. This was yesterday afternoon, the game got up to three and a half. I bet the Texans at plus three and a half. So the majority of my money is trying to get that middle right. But I also bet the Jets three and a half. That's one that I like. I really like the Steelers at six and a half. So if I like, I'll put in my five favorite picks. The Steelers will be in there. The Jets will definitely be in there. Dallas I bet at four and a half. I like Dallas a lot against Tampa. I think there's a lot of inflation this week, and I think that's one of the bigger games where Dallas has been playing better. Like the last three weeks, last four weeks, that Cincinnati game kind of looks like a fluke, right. They lost that game, They've won the three other games. Micah Parsons has seven and a half sacks since he's back. Deron bland Is back in the secondary. That defense is getting a lot better. Cooper Rush at Home Controlled Environment. Tampa Bay just put up forty on the chargers that inflated that line a little bit so. Dallas is another one that I'm un paying attention to.
Speaker 1: Chad Millman Sharper Square, I love it, buddy.
Speaker 2: Great to chat with your buddy.
Speaker 4: The volume