Speaker 1: From UFOs to psychic powers and government conspiracies. History is riddled with unexplained events. You can turn back now or learn the stuff they don't want you to know. A production of iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: Hello, welcome back to the show. My name is Matt, my name is Noah.
Speaker 3: They call me Bed.
Speaker 4: We're joined as always with our super producer Dylan the Tennessee pal Fagan. Most importantly, you are you. You are here. That makes this the stuff they don't want you to know.
Speaker 3: This is a this is a cool one for us. You guys.
Speaker 4: We were lucky enough not just to perform live in international waters, but to also record our long awaited exploration of the Bermuda Triangle. And we just want in touch base, let you know what you're getting into before where you hear the tape.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I don't know how Virgin Voyage was okay with this.
Speaker 6: You know, we're not really the fear bombering type, but there is something to be said about exploring disappearances, famous disappearances of seafaring vessels and air craft all around this particular geographical region that we were in fact sailing through.
Speaker 7: Yes, and to put your mind in the space where we are as listeners of this episode. You go into a large place called the Red Room, which is already intriguing.
Speaker 4: Right, not related to Black Widow, No, Twin Peaks, that's the Red Lodge, but similar.
Speaker 5: No, the Red Room is the thing with the curtains and carry on.
Speaker 4: Yes, it's a phenomenal venue. It's huge, and we have these ginormous that's technical term screens behind us with some excellent video work by none other than our own mister Matt Frederick. We've got a lively crowd of like five hundred something people who could have done any number of other things, right because we're right next to a casino as we're recording.
Speaker 5: Yep, I canna talk about that.
Speaker 6: I think Ben's alterigo did a little better than there than I did, But you know what, it's all for fun. It's all for funzies. And shout out to the crew there at the Red Room, Victor Legend one percent. Just I think this is the highest production one of the highest production value type of live shows that we've ever gotten to do. And Matt Hughes, shout out to you for prepping those incredible moving backdrop images as well as cutting what you have done in the past on Bermuda Triangle, an old YouTube episode from the early stuff they don't want you to know days that really held up other than I think you mispronounced the word bimini bimini.
Speaker 3: We talked about of backstage.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mispronounced the word and I called it bemani in my original research.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Absolutely, hilariously honest mistake.
Speaker 6: It was just funny because we've been saying it a bunch and we almost didn't notice it until we heard it and they were like.
Speaker 5: Oh, that's not how we've been saying.
Speaker 3: It, right, Do check that out.
Speaker 4: Do forgive my mispronunciation there as well intentioned, but we do pronounce bimini, bimini bimini correctly in our live shows. So where this is going to pick up, folks, is going to be right after our original YouTube video and the Bermuda Triangle plays and we walk out into the breach and we immediately start yelling about the Bermuda Triangle afterword from our sponsors, from the EU efforts to psychic powers and government conspiracies. History is riddled with unexplained defense. You can turn back now or learning the stuff they don't want you to know. Oh my god, you guys.
Speaker 7: Hello, Hello, there's too many of you in here.
Speaker 2: We have a problem.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I guess now we have to do a good job.
Speaker 5: I guess we'll do our level best.
Speaker 8: So we are Ben, Matt and Noel stuff they don't want you to know. And before we get started, we thought we would play a little bit of a game.
Speaker 3: Okay, so we're gonna point this way right. If you're on this.
Speaker 4: Side when we point to you, we want you to all yell out triangle.
Speaker 3: Okay, so let's try it. That's good.
Speaker 5: Okay, send no nuts, that's good.
Speaker 3: And if you're on this side.
Speaker 5: Can you guess we're gonna yell for mute? Okay on cue?
Speaker 9: Yeah, sorry, we'll workshop that.
Speaker 5: I get why people like sports. That's fun fun, right.
Speaker 7: Was anybody at the summoning ritual that we all performed last night on the top of the ship during the thunderstorm.
Speaker 3: All dressed in red gigantic octopus? Yeah, it was like.
Speaker 6: The password was Fidelia's totally cool.
Speaker 3: Totally cool.
Speaker 4: We want to be honest with you for for two thirds of us from Nola myself, this is not only our first virgin voyage, this is our first cruise ever.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I kind of get the appeal.
Speaker 6: I kind of get like it wasn't maybe something that I would have done on my own.
Speaker 5: But now I think I'm cruise coded.
Speaker 3: Whatever.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, it's a cruise pilled.
Speaker 5: That's the term.
Speaker 2: It's a problem.
Speaker 7: I'm already budgeting out for the next three years. Yeah, to spend at seat. So give us, give us a woo. If this is also your first virgin cruise.
Speaker 3: Wow, that's a lot of the woo's habit.
Speaker 4: Whose habits is just in Uh so, Uh, there's one more shout out we wanted to give. We've had such a great time Matt Noll and myself hanging out meeting some people. I said, I know, I see a couple faces in the crowd who watched me drunkenly lose at blackjack. We're all still friends. Uh, but we learned, you guys that a lot of people are here because they had a birthday.
Speaker 5: Okay this week.
Speaker 4: So if you had a birthday this week or you have one coming up right, Wow, if you had a birthday today, let's hear a whoo.
Speaker 8: Yeah, all right for sure for the way, and happy birthday, brother, Yes, so on the counter of three, we're all going to wish each other a happy birthday.
Speaker 3: Okay, one, two, three.
Speaker 6: Happy birthday to all of us, even those whose birthday is it.
Speaker 3: Is not happy birthday at some point.
Speaker 7: Yeah, well, speaking of time, that video guys just watched, that's from like twenty eleven.
Speaker 2: We made that.
Speaker 5: We didn't know how to pronounce the word bimini.
Speaker 2: We had just read bunch. Okay, this was before my time. They made a ton of those videos.
Speaker 4: So and now we have united here, not just the three of us, not just our super producer Dylan the Tennessee Palfega.
Speaker 3: Yes, we forgive you for being handsomer than the three of us.
Speaker 5: Okay, I can not forget you for that him that, and.
Speaker 4: We're also we considered you part of our show. You're a fellow conspiracy realists.
Speaker 3: You have given us your time. We're going to share it together.
Speaker 4: And when we first started talking about this idea, guys, we looked around and we said, wait, have we never done an episode on the Buda Triangle?
Speaker 5: Yeahs fars the background.
Speaker 6: The show started off as a video only YouTube series back when when was that like in two thousand nine, when it was still called like what iTunes video or something like that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's what it was. We were number one on itubes video. I mean, come on, yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 5: So we've been at it for a while, but then it became an audio podcast. We've been doing that for a low decade plus somehow. Only that video is the only time we've ever talked about Bermuni trying.
Speaker 4: Yeah, crazy, and we we've explored so much stuff, but like the rest of humanity, and this is true, we've got a lot more exploration to.
Speaker 3: Do in the ocean.
Speaker 4: We talked about this fact all the time. You guys probably know it, but human civilization right now knows more about the moon than they do about the bottom of the ocean.
Speaker 5: Except for James Cameron, who knows.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's put in the times. Thank you James, there's James.
Speaker 5: Congrats on Avatar thirteen.
Speaker 9: Ye.
Speaker 3: Do we want to talk about some of the experiences.
Speaker 7: Okay, so, just as a fairly new cruiser, what it was the term one who cruises.
Speaker 3: Sor sailor.
Speaker 5: Preferred nomenclature of virgin cruises.
Speaker 7: As we drink, I imagine that all of us now have had that experience when we go out on the top deck and you're just standing there and you're just looking out at what our eyes can only understand as infinite water, infinite sky, some clouds, maybe one boat, but mostly just the best thing our mind could come up with.
Speaker 2: Infinity.
Speaker 5: Right, Well, it's like when we were doing it together. I think I pointed out there, like I get why back in the day people thought the.
Speaker 6: World was just going to end at some point. Yes, it tracks like the phenomenon of experiencing it.
Speaker 7: I can totally feel that absolutely, And then we have to imagine it's not just out and up, it's also down.
Speaker 3: It goes super deep. We don't know much about it.
Speaker 4: We do know that we're all here together live in the actual Bermia Triangle we did, Jimmy, don't get mad. We didn't know whether we would be able to do this show, but we've been fascinated by this. We thought this is the best place to explore this.
Speaker 3: So one of our first questions is what do we think about when we think about the Bermuda Triangle? Right, miss mystery, I mean triangles.
Speaker 5: Shapes mainly shape, yeah, crashes, that stuff.
Speaker 4: Extraterrestrials, aliens, ghosts, aliens, sea monsters, aliens.
Speaker 6: That one episode of Scooby Doo from nineteen seventy eight. It was called a creepy tangle in the Bermuda triangle. Then we're skeleton people involved. Yeah, that's really your main source about learning about this topic. And no attention to Scooby do Scooby Doooby doo, where are you triangle?
Speaker 3: That's you Ferm.
Speaker 2: I think about what was.
Speaker 7: That Philadelphia experiment? Or there was something we did an episode on a long time ago, adults.
Speaker 4: For dimensional travel creating cream cheese. Yes, so we maybe we're getting carried away. We know this. We talked to a lot a lot of our fellow sailors, and everybody has an idea, has a theory, as we'll lure tonight. We actually went and spoke with the captains themselves, the captain and the deputy captain.
Speaker 3: Let's give it up for them.
Speaker 2: Whoa, they're not there fearing the ship and stuff. So somebody steering right, somebody is there, auto.
Speaker 5: I don't know how it works.
Speaker 3: Let's move Okay, Yeah we did.
Speaker 4: We did check to see if we could curse a little bit in this show, so I'll break the seal here.
Speaker 3: Those guys are so fun. So they're like firefighters also doctors.
Speaker 5: They wear absolutely stunning.
Speaker 2: I love seeing around and that air of like a little dangerous. You know, it's just a little dangerous. They got good hands.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, we're talking to it and obviously they're taller than me, both of them.
Speaker 2: And they're like, yeah, okay, good, We're gonna be fine.
Speaker 4: So we also think we've heard about time travel theories. We've also heard about crime.
Speaker 5: The True anybody got in any of the other live podcast events?
Speaker 6: Yeah, this this, this episode is gonna be a little less murdery, So consider it a bit of a pali.
Speaker 5: But we love our fellow podcast Oh the Trail and Buried Bones. Shout out to all of those amazing folks.
Speaker 3: Absolutely absolutely.
Speaker 2: I'm just gonna out with myself. I've kind of embarrassed myself a couple of times. I've been walking around to some of you and just going, do you guys really understand who Paul Holes is?
Speaker 4: Like this?
Speaker 5: He's a lot of a big deal.
Speaker 6: Hang on a sec, let's take a quick pause here, step away from this live show. Here are worth more sponsor and then we'll be right back from the red room.
Speaker 5: And we're back.
Speaker 3: So we do a bunch of shows.
Speaker 4: This is one of our favorite shows because now we get to talk about true crime, we get to talk about mystery and allegations and paranormal This is kind of like true extraterrestrial Prime or maybe extra true terrestrial crime.
Speaker 5: It's not terrestrial, it's on the scene.
Speaker 3: Okay, it's the planet.
Speaker 2: It's true.
Speaker 4: So the pitch for the Bermuda triangle, it's something that we have been obsessed with ever since we were wee young tights and just date us a little bit here before podcasts.
Speaker 3: We're a thing.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 5: We're talking like those time life books.
Speaker 2: Encyclopedia Britannica, but on a bookshelf.
Speaker 3: Our coffee table.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 4: Yeah, So the pitches that multiple ships and planes over decades or over centuries have gone missing, no wreckage, no survivors, no explanation.
Speaker 5: Of a poof situation, yeah, or pop situation a po.
Speaker 4: The Sargasso Sea hungers, they sing, right, and every so often it consumes the unweary vessel. So that's the pitch, right for true believers. Uh, it appears there are numerous examples to back up this legend.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 4: Maybe we talked about a few of the most famous, which we saw in our our video right the.
Speaker 3: Video before the video, the video before the video there was.
Speaker 5: That was so the first amazing video that Mapp put together.
Speaker 3: This is all Matt Frederick. By the way, let's give the hand.
Speaker 4: Yeah, tell us tell us a bit about tell us a bit about that footage they found.
Speaker 2: Well, the first one was that a little bit creepy.
Speaker 5: Hopefully it was like just mildly unsettling. I would I would call it.
Speaker 2: It's just just old archival footage.
Speaker 7: If anybody doesn't go to archi dot org and go to things like the Prailinger Archives and other things that just go way back into the nineteen twenties, thirties, forties, you can find a credible film footage and you know, most of it is now out of copyright.
Speaker 2: So if you're making a cool project, check.
Speaker 5: It out, dude, check it out.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 7: But then the other one was from the video and one of the things at the very front of the stuff they don't want you to know, Bermuda Triangle video.
Speaker 2: There's a clip there and that is from a.
Speaker 7: Recreation of this thing, the flight nineteen incident is what we'll call it, where those five planes went missing.
Speaker 2: Just and it was a little the acting was great, right, It was a translation.
Speaker 5: It was it was you know, actually they made some choices do it.
Speaker 3: It's true, there was an aesthetic they were.
Speaker 5: So should we start with this incident, let's do let's do this.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 4: So here's the gist. Here's this setup. We're traveling back together. Right, It's just after the end of World War Two. The world is in share. Things are chaotic, pretty much. Everybody is having a bad day, right, and in this near you it's December fifth, nineteen forty five, and people still have to do their jobs.
Speaker 3: Right. So Flight nineteen is.
Speaker 4: A group of what we call torpedo bombers. There are five of them in this flight group, and they're leaving the Naval Air Station in Fort Lauderdale, Florida.
Speaker 3: Shout out to everybody from Fort Lauderdale. Okay, wait to hear the rest of the story.
Speaker 4: So they they're leaving, and it's a typical training flight. They've got one guy named Lieutenant Charles Taylor. He has all his bona fides, he's seasoned, he's a.
Speaker 3: Veteran, he knows how navigation works. Here's the thing. And the rest of his crew remember this, they're learning how to use Yeah, they're the interns of the.
Speaker 5: Sky point, and so.
Speaker 4: As they're going on, they're just trying to figure out how do we how do we know we're leaving Point A, we're going to Point Z. How do we do that without things going sideways? And everything seems great until about three forty five PM, where we'd like to give you a little bit of a dramatic retelling of the true radio transmissions.
Speaker 3: Let's see who wants to be Taylor.
Speaker 5: I'll be Taylor.
Speaker 3: Sure, all right, nice, We've got Noel Brown playing Taylor. Noel's amazing. Yeah, so let's give a hand for Nolan.
Speaker 10: Thank you very much, Take you very much. Okay, Taylor cannot see land. We seem to be of course, what's your position?
Speaker 5: We cannot be sure where we are. I'm panicked at this point it says, so right here, that's a repeat. I cannot see land.
Speaker 4: Now those are Lieutenantsaylor's last recorded words at the end of the story.
Speaker 3: The tower is freaking out right ten.
Speaker 4: Minutes past ten long right in minutes and then a new voice chimes in. Taylor has disappeared, and this new voice is even more panic and theyre say, matth you want to do this one?
Speaker 7: Uh sure, we can't find west. Everything is wrong. We can't be sure of any direction. Everything looks strange.
Speaker 5: Even the ocean. Wow, that's a lot, dude.
Speaker 7: But here's the craziest part. You ready, Yes, we can't tell where we are. Everything is I can't make out anything. I think we may be about two hundred and twenty five miles northeast of base it.
Speaker 3: It looks like.
Speaker 2: We're entering white water.
Speaker 3: What does that mean?
Speaker 2: We're entering white water. We're completely lost.
Speaker 5: That's it. Yeah, that's all your guarantee. That's it, right, guarante.
Speaker 2: Can I tell you what I imagined? Just quickly?
Speaker 3: Let me hang entering, let me hang out.
Speaker 2: Okay, thank you.
Speaker 7: We are entering white water. I'm just imagining, imagining the visual of seeing whitewater in front of a plane.
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 7: So in my mind, that's either, oh, you're angled down and you don't realize it.
Speaker 2: That's not great. But the other thing, it's kind of whack of doing. It's out there. But I imagine stuff from the Marvel Universe, guys portals.
Speaker 5: I imagine it was only a matter of time before we got multiverse.
Speaker 2: I know, it's silly, it's very silly. It's probably is not anything to do with the truth of the matter.
Speaker 7: But when you see some mysterious story like this and you hear the last words of somebody who truly did disappear, I like to allow my mind to go to that place. We like to allow our minds to go to that kind of place, not to truly think, hey, that's probably real, but more as though, what if it was that, would anything else match up?
Speaker 3: And if that is true, then what else does that lead us to? Right?
Speaker 4: Because if we know portals, I'm sure we know portals. I'm not alienating anybody. There's always one of the on portal, right, because the portal go somewhere.
Speaker 3: Yes, all right, what's up next? Airline food? Anyway. We have tons of these examples.
Speaker 4: There are things that people will say, you're clear examples proof that there's something spooky in the Bermuda Triangle. There's the story of the Ellen Austin in eighteen eighty one, the USS Cyclops. We've also got We've also got that cool boat name Witchcraft, the luxury cruiser. And in all of these cases which you can find in all sorts of Bermuda Triangle lore, the skeptics and the true believers both agree that those cases we just named have no proven hauns.
Speaker 3: We don't know why they disappeared, we don't know where they went.
Speaker 4: But as we also learned, there are a couple of cases where the answer is there, but people don't really want to look into it because it messes.
Speaker 3: With the story.
Speaker 6: Well, it's a bit of a case of confirmation bias, where that enough things come out, people start to sort of build a lore around it, and then before you know it, the Bermuda Triangle is this cursed you know, portal to Hell or something, yeah.
Speaker 7: Which is awesome, Yeah, yeah, ejectively just conceptually exist, or.
Speaker 3: A portal to Reno, which is kind.
Speaker 5: Of Should we talk about the witchcraft? Yeah, we can talking about real pe And I just think it's a badass name.
Speaker 4: Luxury IM saying, yeah, it's nineteen sixty seven, it's December twenty second, right before Christmas, and there's a real estate developer named Daniel Burak, and Daniel's been doing really well. He owns a he owns a yacht, yes, he gives a sick name, and he takes his friend out with him at night to see the Miami skyline. Right, it's pretty cool, just a fun cinematic detail. His buddy is a Catholic priest named Father Horgan. They only go about a mile out.
Speaker 3: From shore the witchcraft becomes disabled. What happens next?
Speaker 2: Oh, I don't even know, dude.
Speaker 7: They put out a distress call and they're asking for somebody to come out and help them, right, and they said, hey, this isn't a big deal. It's not some kind of emergency. It would be really cool to get some kind of rowboat something out to us so we can get out of this boat that's disabled.
Speaker 2: That's it pretty simple.
Speaker 4: Oh and nineteen minutes later support does show up. The thing is, the witchcraft isn't there, it's gone.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and this is sixty.
Speaker 4: Seven, so it's modern enough that they have they have some technology that will allow them to scout more effectively than someone in the.
Speaker 3: Eighteen hundreds, right, yes, but nothing managed a poof and.
Speaker 5: A pop, a bit of a poof and pop. Okay, go ahead please.
Speaker 7: Well it's pretty simple, like if you think about that rationally, right, somebody gets a distressed call from a ship, then they come out to help and the ship's not there.
Speaker 2: Okay, something happened that ship sank and that's it. End of story.
Speaker 7: You're gonna have missing people now, and you're gonna have a missing ship. But if you're you know, rationally thinking Okay, that ship's sink. The great thing about this topic and think about in this way.
Speaker 3: Is what if it didn't man?
Speaker 2: What if that ship got zapped out of time or grabbed by a kraken.
Speaker 3: Or by extraterrestrials, you know what I mean? What if they got a non consensual beam me up Scotty.
Speaker 2: Situation like the whole ship just ends up in the cargo bay.
Speaker 6: Yes, well, I think the thing that's also important to think about in these cases is how we pointed out earlier how vast all of this is, and how little we know about what's down there, and how objectively difficult it could potentially be to find one of these things, even if it sunk in a place where you kind of thought.
Speaker 5: You knew where it was.
Speaker 3: Yeah, needle in a haystack times a million. And get this books.
Speaker 4: Depending on who you read and who you talk to, these stories that we gave you are fairly recent the past few centuries. You'll find plenty of authors say it goes much further back. A ton of the books will will tell you that serious events in the area predate the name Bermuda Triangle, maybe the name Bermuda. And they'll say that even like, way before European ships reached this part of the world, all the locals knew there was something strange afoot or afloat.
Speaker 3: Yeah, sure, Okay, they're in the sea, so for thousands of years.
Speaker 4: Then the pitch is this part of the ocean is like a haunted house, right, spooky stuff. And even now in twenty twenty five, you'll hear people saying, well, I'm a skeptical person. I'm a modern person, but is there something to this? Maybe there's something to it. So that's our question, what's going on?
Speaker 2: How many people here think there might be something strange going on in this part of the ocean. Yeah, so much better about my alien ideas?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think we would.
Speaker 4: I would also I would accept sea monsters, Okay, I would accept sea.
Speaker 3: Monsters as.
Speaker 5: Horrors.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and you know, if it's ancient sea monsters, I say, that's what we get for eating all that octopus.
Speaker 6: Probably sure, and come up, it's a real come up and watch my octopus, teacher, and you'll never want to eat another.
Speaker 2: Squeen again I saw one of those things we just learned about in the press.
Speaker 3: Spoken word. But so that's seriously our question. He's there an answer, bat in the hatchets, something with the mask, something with sales.
Speaker 4: We're pausing for word from our sponsors, and then we'll be back on the high seats.
Speaker 3: And we've returned years where it gets crazy every time. I love it. We think we've solved the mystery.
Speaker 4: I mean not we, We think civilization has solved, not just us in Dylan, and thanks again, Dylan. So hopefully we haven't spooked anybody out too much. Hopefully we're all still having a good time, especially because we really want to come back and.
Speaker 3: Hang out with you more often.
Speaker 4: If that's okay, If you feel a little squirrely about the possibility of us all suddenly disappearing, we have some good news. We've looked into everything about the mysteries, all the reported incidents and cases, and a lot of the toll tales. They're really juicy ones. They're great stories, but they're just that their stories, and they're awesome, and they're awesome, and some of them have aliens, which I'm also I'm very excited. So all right, this is where this is where maybe we we do we do a little bit of another game. So we're gonna ask you a question, and we want you it's multiple choice, no pressure, and so we want you to give a shout out when you think you've got the right answers. So the size, the number of the numbers, that's what we're running through. Okay, So the actual size of the Bermuda triangle. Let's let's kick it. Let's give some options. Okay, so I will run through the first.
Speaker 3: There are three choices.
Speaker 4: We're gonna do those first, and then we'll start cheering for the one we think it's correct.
Speaker 2: That's right, is it? A twenty thousand to one hundred thousand square miles?
Speaker 5: Got no takers there?
Speaker 6: Okay, we've got B two hundred thousand to two hundred and fifty thousand square miles.
Speaker 5: We should run through all of them.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, we're not cheering yet.
Speaker 5: Yes, think about it was me.
Speaker 6: So we got C five hundred thousand to one million, five hundred thousand square miles.
Speaker 3: Okay, so those are choices. I'll do it one more time. So cheer for which you think is correct.
Speaker 4: A twenty thousand to one hundred thousand, Okay, okay, I like it. I like the energy B two hundred thousand to two hundred and fifty thousand.
Speaker 3: Okay, all right, okay, okay, all right, high bar here.
Speaker 4: So for the c folks, five hundred thousand to one million, five hundred thousand.
Speaker 3: Square minles h.
Speaker 4: All right, if you guess, see get it, becauerte the congratulations.
Speaker 5: You are correct, A huge part of the ocean's wild.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I wouldn't have gotten that, right, I can't even I probably can't count to a million.
Speaker 3: Now. So this is this is, this is the idea that we're in.
Speaker 4: A specific region of the world, a tiny triangle bounded by Florida, Bermuda and of course Puerto Rico.
Speaker 3: So whenever something bad happens in that.
Speaker 4: Area or something mysterious, even the most skeptical of us will stragan say, know, yeah, you're muta.
Speaker 6: Triangle when so expert oceanographers around the world know that some hearts of the ocean are trickier to navigate than others. But there genuinely doesn't seem to be a significantly higher amount of mysterious events here comparatively, right, It just it's.
Speaker 5: Got to remember that confirmation bias aspect.
Speaker 6: More people are creating these stories, building this lore and this mythology, and it starts to just become this kind of go to for people, kind of cooking up these stories. And then this notion of it being more dangerous than the rest of the massive, massive amounts of area that the ocean encompasses are the ocean is just crazy that.
Speaker 7: We should have gotten with Virgin and found the number of cruises they go through this area. If somebody knew something about like on a euro two.
Speaker 3: Hundred cruises, we can guess.
Speaker 4: But this is also very It's a very big, very busy part of the ocean, so we don't know how many vessels and aircraft are passing through at any given time. That's right, we don't know the totality. And basically, the more boat, the more vessels and planes you have passing through the area, the more opportunities there are for some shenanigans to occur.
Speaker 7: And that's everything from a mechanical error on a vessel to pre coincident with a wave which we will talk about in a little bit, or even a weather pattern. We talked with Jamie backstage about there is one incident on a ship one time where a tornado just went right through the center of the thing, like and nobody knew that was gonna happen because you can't predict that kind of weather and you do your absolute level best to make sure everything's going to be fine and good to go.
Speaker 2: But just the weather is a separate power that we have nothing to do with, you know.
Speaker 7: It's just I think what we're talking about is you increase the number of people and ships and vessels planes in an area, you're going to increase the number of potential problems, right.
Speaker 4: Yeah, potential non consensual adventures and its thousands of cruises that pass through the every year.
Speaker 5: And the answer if you were wondering if it is avoided, it's just not.
Speaker 3: It's absolutely not. I mean, look at us, you guys are we're here now, that's fine.
Speaker 4: So another fun fact that we learned while we're researching this is all ships need insurance, right and if the Bermuda Triangle is really this hive of scum.
Speaker 3: To he wordle to Rito or whatever, then we know that that we know that there would be there would be problems ensuring it, and no company would ensure these ships if that were true, not even.
Speaker 4: Lloyd's of London and they're the folks who ensured j Lo's butt, you know what I mean, Like they'll go for anything.
Speaker 3: Gets another.
Speaker 4: Another big factor, going back to what you were saying there no, is that everyone loves a good story. So the first story about the Bermuda Triangle, it's actually way more recent. People think it comes from a newspaper in nineteen fifty where this journalist in Arizona, of all places, was.
Speaker 3: Like, you know, Gibbs will he shoots lose planes right.
Speaker 5: Land locked Arizona.
Speaker 3: He's an expert, and he's never been to the Bermuda Triangle. And then the actual he didn't use the term.
Speaker 4: The actual phrase Bermuda Triangle doesn't come until nineteen sixty four.
Speaker 7: That's what it's I heard about this guy, Yeah, rating for an argacy, I believe, Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: And so along with a handful of other people, our guy Vincent, we'll call him Big V because that's a cool nickname.
Speaker 3: So Big V is one of the main reasons.
Speaker 4: People talk about the Bermuda Triangle because people hear this story and they love it, and more and more folks learn about it and the great game of Telephone and whispers begins, and so from the sixties, nineteen sixties to the eighties to to the nineties, people every time they hear about a tragic event, they we start.
Speaker 3: Looking for an explanage. So that's what we do. We're humans.
Speaker 4: We want patterns, we want answers, and folks started making up their own ideas.
Speaker 3: You are super into aliens. You hear about this and you go, oh, man, I was thinking about this earlier aliens.
Speaker 7: Bro Well, I mean, you know or real let's say government craft or experiments. We know about lots of testing that occurs out in the desert on the continental United States. There's also testing that's done in the waters the territory of the United States. And I'm only pointing them out because I'm from there, Okay, but you know, every government tests all kinds of things, and international waters would be a place to test things where something may or may or may not go wrong, which is just again, we try and keep all potential possibilities there. That would be way more rational than how much I wish it was aliens.
Speaker 4: I think we're all on the same page with that one, Okay, we want to believe, right, And there's another thing with I love that explanation. Because there's another thing with time travel where somebody's already super into time travel and they hear about a missing plane and they go, you know what, I got it, time travel, time travels, time traffl.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: And so we also see people who think about ancient civilizations Atlantis, La Muria, right, the mini road we learned how to pronounce it's true because we're going there, and they say, maybe there's an ancient civilization involved. But the hard truth is that no matter what explanation we prefer, planes and ships have disappeared.
Speaker 5: And unpack that for me just a little bit.
Speaker 6: Then the idea of Atlantis returning and of that being like one of the theories, yeah.
Speaker 3: Which gets it. I mean it's mix and match. You know, you're at the buffet of conspiratorial thought.
Speaker 4: So you can take a little bit of Atlantis and say, oh, Atlantis is coming back, take a scoop of time travel that on, you know, just roll it onto the Portier burrito bowl and really likes case of yeah, I'm going through it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Bimni Road really does look nuts, though.
Speaker 3: It does look like it. Yeah, you guys have heard about this, right, do.
Speaker 2: You know Bemini Road to anybody, Okay, good, well a couple of us do.
Speaker 7: We're going right out there. I don't think we actually get to go to that section of the North Island. But it's incredible. It doesn't look real. It looks like somebody built something down there in the seafloor right right off of the North Island there.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it looks like carved stone, like a paved road that just fell beneath the waves at some point.
Speaker 3: And it looks gigantic, yes, but it does.
Speaker 7: There does appear to be a standard explanation of just weathering of those specific stones and the structure of those stones.
Speaker 2: And nothing to see here basically, but I don't know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, who are they?
Speaker 7: Right?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah, we shouldn't have called the stone stuff. They don't want you to know, all right, shout out today.
Speaker 4: We also know we also know that, you know, giving people wanted explanations and couldn't find one until modern science led to breakthroughs in the Bermuda Triangle mystery. And well they were talking about a little bit earlier. One of the biggest ones is surveillance. Is back in the day, you know, we would all hop on our whaling vessel or whatever, and we would be like, Margaret's my dea, I will see you in eight months, four years, help you keep you all scheduled, Cleo.
Speaker 7: Imagine though, imagine getting on a ship and doing what we're doing right now, looking out and seeing what you see, and knowing that there's a manifest somewhere. There's a piece of paper somewhere on one side that says we're leaving with this stuff, this many crew members, and we're heading in this direction. And then there might be someone on the other side at the destination with a similar piece of paper other than that good.
Speaker 3: Luck, yeah, right, And so people would go missing.
Speaker 4: There wasn't radio, there weren't satellites, you know, you would It also meant that if you were running late, people would be way nicer to you than there would be if you're running late today. They would just be happy to making happy, you know what I mean. And so that's we're keeping a positive That's one advantage. But the thing is there were a lot of disadvantages. We had to hope the weather was kind, We had to hope nothing went wrong privateers pirates, you know, just mechanical failures. Sometimes things did go wrong, and if you're waiting for the ship.
Speaker 3: You know, let's think about that. You're the family.
Speaker 4: You're over in Nantucket or something, and you were waiting for your loved one to come home and you don't ever get a solid confirmation, right, Or you're at a port in the Carolinas, you know.
Speaker 3: And you know they were going through what we call the Bermuda Triangle.
Speaker 4: Now by the time someone decided we have to go look for this missing ship, months could have happened.
Speaker 6: Yeah, And the thinking, again, you just have to think about this the relative side. As massive as this ship is, like walking up to it or riding up to it, it was just like kind of mind blowing. But compare that to the absolute, utter, endless vastness that is the ocean, you know, at large.
Speaker 5: It really is a needle in that hates that kind of situation.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the odds are against us.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and luckily the good news is we've got modern communication, satellite technology. It's made everything much safer. It's also made it a little more difficult to get away.
Speaker 3: I get that. But here on the Valiant Lady.
Speaker 4: Our amazing crew is in constant communication, you know what I mean. They're talking to the sky and they're talking to all the ports we go.
Speaker 5: To blasting horns and stuff.
Speaker 4: Heart attacks and we I think we all have maybe contacted a loved one on the shore.
Speaker 3: That's amazing that we can do it.
Speaker 5: It's insane. Yeah, it's pretty good. Pretty good, it's pretty good.
Speaker 3: It's pretty good.
Speaker 4: So, like you were saying, there's a discrepancy of scale, the ocean is a the volatile ecosystem. It's better to think of it as its own big animal, right, And that's when we get into being at the mercy of atmospheric conditions. Because early ships, like when the brigotines and all that stuff, we imagine they're much smaller than we would think, so the wrong kind of wave hits them and it's skid.
Speaker 5: At are we talking about rogue waves?
Speaker 10: Then?
Speaker 4: Why do we talk about rogue waves or freak waves, which I think is more fun there it is.
Speaker 7: Yeah, So if we're not familiar with that term, this is the concept that there's a wave so large it would be roughly thirty meters in the air. If you just looked out and you saw a wave, what is the equivalent of thirty meters? Lord, I'm gonna have to do it right, now I don't even know.
Speaker 2: What it is in feet. It's a huge freaking wave. It shouldn't be that tall.
Speaker 3: It's like a wall of water.
Speaker 7: Yes, And these were tails that were told by people that were sailing vessels all across this area in the Bermuda Triangle, and it wasn't believed because at the time, especially when they're being experienced, there's not really good camera footage that you could actually confirm that there was a you know, thirty meter wave that came across. It wasn't until nineteen ninety five when there was an oil rig that actually did have some sensors on it, they were able to test each each wave basically that comes up against this oil platform, and there was a I think it was twenty nine meters of a wave, way higher than any wave could have been shown by the what do they call that, not the lateral model. There's a specific model that they use to tell you the smallest waves and the largest waves you're going to encounter, based on wind speeds and currents and things like that.
Speaker 5: And this was just way higher.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and with no precedents, no like yeah, no heads up, no spoiler alert, and scientists didn't even really believe in these things until the past few decades. Was kind of like ball lightning, which is another really really cool, Okay, different episode.
Speaker 3: I'm getting carried away, So I got.
Speaker 2: The measurements wrong really quickly. Yes, twenty five point six meters was the one that was measured on that day on that oil platform, and that is eighty four feet, So an eighty four foot wave.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and these extreme storm waves, that's another that's another termual here, and that could be a plausible explanation for some, but not all, of the events we talk about in the Bermuda Triangle.
Speaker 3: So we know that there is some science behind it, right, and we know when we.
Speaker 4: Bugged at the Captain. We talked to Captain Domir and he gave us for me this is one of my favorite lines. We heard we meet, we're meeting and hanging out with him, and I said, Okay, I've got to know we're doing this show right, We're hanging out with people.
Speaker 3: What do you guys think?
Speaker 4: And Deputy Captain Narn, what do you guys think of the Bermuda Triangle?
Speaker 3: And this is a quote. It's a very very distinct voice.
Speaker 4: We're not going to do his voice, but he says, I have been across the Bermuda triangle many many times, and look at me.
Speaker 3: I haven't disappeared. It was pretty good. Like he's got he's got comedic tough though he's tough. He's tough.
Speaker 5: You know, he's got gravitas.
Speaker 3: I've never disappeared.
Speaker 4: So we we want to give it up again one more time for our captain, our deputy captain, and can tell you.
Speaker 3: And they're just the foolest guys. We're in excellent hands here with them and the crew. So have we saw this day?
Speaker 2: I have a question.
Speaker 7: Yeah, we've all seen, like the Navy coming out with official videos of things that appear to be unidentified aerial phenomena or unexplained.
Speaker 2: Phenomena up in the sky sometimes in the oceans.
Speaker 7: Does anybody here believe that there's actually some kind of be an extraterrestrial or inner terrestrial or whatever thing intelligence that is on Earth right now? Does anybody believe that?
Speaker 2: Really? Do you ever feel like we're being programmed to believe that? Sorry, that's.
Speaker 7: Oh boy, doesn't the middle of the night looking out on the ocean thoughts, But it does seem like and specifically vehicles that appear to be going into the ocean from the air, that kind of trans medium object and concept that has a hold on me, I think because it could it could explain some of the other phenomena that we end up seeing and that our you know, military's navies see out there in the oceans.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 7: I want to explore even more. And there's some people right now working on documentaries. Oh our our buddy oh I can't think of his name right now, who does the UFO stuff?
Speaker 2: Uh we corbel. Yeah, they're doing all kinds of really interesting.
Speaker 7: Stuff attempting to get like official documents through Congress and and actually have like testimony about true experiences and sightings.
Speaker 2: And we just can't wait to see that play out.
Speaker 4: Transmedia meaning that something could be under the water like a submersible and then immediately violate what we know about physics and technology and just and just yeat itself into the atmosphere, itself down.
Speaker 3: And again yeat is the technical term.
Speaker 4: So we like what we we're seeing here is we're also we're not giving up on the space bubbles, right, space time bubbles?
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, yeah, we're not giving up on the aliens.
Speaker 6: Can we just add one we talked a little bit about probability and just about how maybe this is this confirmation biased to play right where.
Speaker 5: But there's this Australian scientist named Carl Let's.
Speaker 6: See Crucial, Crucial Nikki who has for years been preaching this gospel, this idea of this is there's nothing special about this region.
Speaker 5: It is just a numbers game overall.
Speaker 2: And Noah, the what is it the atmosphere.
Speaker 5: Anyway, they did for sure it's authority. Yeah, and they they believe the same thing.
Speaker 6: I mean, they for years have been saying this is just a numbers game, and it is just this idea of the stories we tell ourselves, the way that lore can kind of perpetuate itself over time.
Speaker 5: So not to be a buzz killed, but I.
Speaker 6: Think it's certainly possible that we might get beamed up while we're on this delightful voyage.
Speaker 5: But chances are pretty well.
Speaker 4: And I love that point in making too, because it tells us about the power of story, right. The story and the lore of the Bermuda Triangle is really a story about the people who are finding and discovering.
Speaker 5: Those and the friends we made along the way.
Speaker 3: The stories we tell ourselves, the.
Speaker 2: Friends we made at Scarlett Knight. Yeah, all the ship when we summoned that remember you were.
Speaker 3: There there the friends we made when we took some excursion. Shout out to UGO, right yeah.
Speaker 4: And we also we also known that science as officially to their mindsult the Bermuda Triangle. But have we And that's where that's where we wanted to pause because folks, as you could probably tell, we've been doing this show for a long time and we have so much more to explore.
Speaker 3: You are the reason this show exists, and thank you for tuning in.
Speaker 4: If you're a true crime fan, a ufologist, a fellow conspiracy realist, give yourselves a hand.
Speaker 3: Please. Oh yeah, really get it into it.
Speaker 2: You stuck it out.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and so there you have, folks with big fans of showing our work. As they say, so, please write to our bosses and accounting and tell them we actually did the thing we said we were going to do.
Speaker 3: We hope you enjoyed this episode. Please tune in later this week.
Speaker 4: You are also going to hear a very special live Q and a session we had after the show. In the meantime, we can't wait to hear your thoughts, not just about the Permuter Triangle, but about other allegedly mysterious places across the seas and the land, anywhere in your neck of the global woods. So tell us your thoughts. Find us online, call us on the phone, or send us an email.
Speaker 3: It's right.
Speaker 6: You can find us at the handle Conspiracy Stuff, where we exist on Facebook with our Facebook group Here's where it gets crazy. On x FKA, Twitter, and on YouTube, where you can find keeps piles oodles of videos to peruse and enjoy. On Instagram and TikTok, however, we're Conspiracy Stuff Show.
Speaker 2: Our number is one eight three three std WYTK.
Speaker 5: Call in.
Speaker 7: It's a voicemail system. Give yourself a cool nickname. Let us know if we can use your name and message within the message. If you don't want to do that, why not send us an email.
Speaker 4: We are the entities that read each piece of correspondence we receive. Be well aware, yet out afraid. Sometimes the void writes back a couple quick Bermuda Triangle jokes. The Bermuda Trigle is a great vacationing spot. Most people that go there never come back. While some of these are terrible okay, and some are not appropriate, for public consumption. But if you want to hear some more terrible Bermuda Triangle jokes, write to us Conspiracy at iHeartRadio dot com.
Speaker 7: Stuff they don't want you to know is a production of iHeartRadio. For more podcasts from iHeartRadio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.