Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, Podcasts, radio News. This is Bloomberg business Week Daily reporting from the magazine that helps global leaders stay ahead with insight on the people, companies, and trends shaping today's complex economy. Plus global business finance and tech news as it happens. The Bloomberg Business Week Daily Podcast with Carol Masser and Tim Stenebeck on Bloomberg Radio Well.
Speaker 2: Last week, New York state authorities sued the prediction markets company Calshi for allegedly running an illegal, unlicensed gambling operation in the state, marking another legal hurdle for an industry that's one support from the Trump administration.
Speaker 3: That's right. That suit, filed Friday and State Court in Manhattan, alleges that Calshi's prediction market exposes state residents, including those under the legal gambling age of twenty one, to quote serious personal and financial risk. This is coming from the New York Attorney General, Letitia James, putting that out in a statement.
Speaker 2: We've got with us Robert Denaald's head of enforcement and legal counsel at Calshe. He joins us here in the Bloomberg Business Week Studio. Bobby, welcome. I want to jump right in to this suit because Letitia James, the Attorney General, says, quote, no matter what they call themselves, prediction markets like calshe are gambling platforms, plain and simple. By ignoring our laws, cal she is running an illegal operation and harming New Yorkers in the process. What is your response to this claim that cal she is running an illegal gambling operation.
Speaker 4: I mean, as both a New Yorker and a lawyer, I'm alarmed by the overreaching sentiment that's coming from the Attorney General's office. So CALSH is a licensed, federally regulated exchange. By her logic, any federally regulated exchange that's operating with a federal license and overseen by a federal regulator can suddenly be subject to the whims of state criminal enforcement if the Attorney general of a particular state wakes up and decides one day that these contracts actually come within New York state gambling law. That's not how any exchange in US history has ever operated. Right, So we have we're here at Bloomberg. You guys talk about the New York Stock Exchange NASDAQ, other exchanges, all of them could be potentially affected by the breath and scope of the New York Attorney General's approach and legal theory in terms of how she believes she can regulate and bring to heal federally licensed exchanges here in New York State.
Speaker 3: Bobby, are you saying you're the exact same things as the New York Stock Exchange or the NASDAK markets. That you're saying you're the exact same thing apples to apples.
Speaker 4: Then what I am saying is that federal law dictates that that is the case. When a federal law like the Commodity Exchange Act exists and provides for a way for an entity to get licensed by something like the Commodity Futures Trading Commission or the Securities Exchange Commission, that licensure and that federal regulation is what governs that marketplace. Now, if states want to litigate with that regulator on a case by case basis about what types of contracts might imply some state laws, that's one question, and that's some of the lawsuits we've seen over the last year on sports. But this is much more far reaching. This is claiming that that license means nothing, and if you don't hold a New York license, you're running a criminal operation. And you need to be run out of the state. And I think it's important to ground this sort of in history of disruptive sort of new players in marketplaces. Right, call She's new, but this sort of licensed to regime has existed for many decades. We've seen similar playbooks used against companies like Uber and Airbnb, where states try to throw their weight around and bring crazy cases to block what customers want as a reasonable alternative. We think that that's a pretty similar playbook to what the Attorney General is following here.
Speaker 2: So why shouldn't Kyle she seek a license from the New York State Gaming Commission? Why wouldn't you do that?
Speaker 4: So it really goes to the way that the business operates. We are a federally licensed exchange that requires us to run open markets that are available nationwide. Our users set the price, traders set the price. We match in an open marketplace with one another. We are not on the other side of individuals trading. We don't run a casino where people can come in and drink and play card games. We don't run a sports book where we profit when people lose. What we do is run open marketplaces where users define the price point, and that type of financial product. Even if it touches on topics that is similar to a topic touched on by a sportsbook, the way that that product operates is typically what governs what regulations apply.
Speaker 3: So even though people keep coming at you and say gambling, gambling, gambling, that's why you're not gambling.
Speaker 4: So I think it's important to define exactly what they mean when they say gambling. To me, gambling is when you go up against the house, when you go to a place that controls whether you're going to win or lose. They're going to chase losers, they're going to maximize their ability to limit winners. They're not going to run like a true business. But where in exchange exists and individuals are setting price with one another, I think that it operates under a different regulatory framework. And it's not to say that a whole panoply of different topics can be touched on by different regulated products. So we see concerns in options trading or leverage trading, retail traders moving into markets that are traditionally regulated markets at the federal level. I think some of the same concerns exist for those markets. And if you read the lawsuit closely, a ton of the definitions and the language and the descriptions that Attorney General James's office uses could easily be transposed onto Robinhood, crypto trading, derivatives trading, any sort of trading activity that the Attorney General suddenly decides poses a customer threat to individuals who want to participate in.
Speaker 2: I mean there is In April she did sue coinbase and Gemini for running illegal gambling platforms. There were some like why do you think call she was signaled out in this typical or this this iteration of the lawsuit.
Speaker 4: You'd have to ask the Governor's office why you know call She's was signal signaled out. I think the truth is there are a number of prediction markets that would be affected by this approach. There's a number of other exchanges that would be affected. There are a number of like robin Hood's based in New York, right, no big polymarket, they're all based in New York, none of whom have been subject to the Attorney General's focused So I don't know if that's coming. I don't know if you'd have to ask her office, but certainly, you know, we're a bit alarmed that the Attorney general is seeing the scope of New York gambling law applying to potentially federal derivatives exchanges.
Speaker 3: But I do think about exchanges. Do you think about the composition of the bets that are on? Like if we're going to use the gambling analogy, that keeps getting kind of lobbied at you. I mean, if I think about exchange, there is incredible oversight, you know, and there's rules and so that there isn't you know, trades that are happening that are not legit are fair or right? You know, if if gambling is as you say, there is no house right, it's just two parties figuring out something. Where is the oversight and concern about the composition of the bets being made and making sure that they are true? Because I think that's where you get into gambling. If anybody can kind of put up a bet and another person can take the side, and who knows if those two sides didn't get together to figure out this bet, like you know what I'm saying. So for that to me is where you get into the gambling. It's a little it feels a little loose.
Speaker 4: Sure, I don't think it's loose at all. So I think that when you're just to sort of zero in on some of the nuance that you just said. Gambling is when there is the house. What you do on an exchange is where there is no house. There are two counterparties in a particular market agreeing on a price together and executing what we characterize as a swap, what the CEA qualifies as a swap. Those types of trades are heavily regulated under CFTC regulation. There are hundreds of regulations.
Speaker 3: You're saying, all the trades that are happening on Kowshi will be heavily regulated and over set, and we understand the two sides.
Speaker 4: They are currently heavily regulated and being overseen. I meet with the CFTC's Enforcement division. That's my line of work at Kaushi. I lead our exchange enforcement. I meet with their Enforcement division multiple times a week. But separately, they have other divisions division Market Oversight, other divisions that oversee the implementation of markets so that they are structurally fair for the participants operating in them, and that oversight requires calls. She as an exchange, but all prediction market exchanges to work very closely with the CFTC on the products that they offer, they have to self certify them to the CFDC, who can revoke approval for those products. And the CFTC recently came out with a two hundred and sixty seven page rule making that was specific toward prediction market contracts. So I think you know it isn't correct to say these aren't currently heavily regulated.
Speaker 2: We're speaking with Bobby Denald. He's head of enforcement and legal counsel at Kalsh. He joins us here in the Bloomberg BusinessWeek studio. I want to shift gears and talk about some other recent news. It seems like you're really playing whack a mole at this point with these lawsuits, Like obviously it's keeping you busy. Also keeping you busy as enforcement and former Congressman George Santos agreed to pay more than thirty five thousand dollars to settle allegations that he manipulated a wager on your platform about whether he'd attend the twenty twenty six State of the Union. Isn't your responsibility to police that? Or are you the one who recognized that and flagged it?
Speaker 4: Yes, it is our responsibility to police that.
Speaker 2: Do you have the resources? Like this is one example, but do you have the resources to find every single one of them that allegedly has insider information?
Speaker 4: So I pause there and say, that's not our standard at the New York Stock Exchange, and that's not our standard in the securities and equities markets. What we expect our federally regulated exchanges to do is to have reasonable procedures to detect insider trading, market manipulation, et cetera. Calls she has very robust and in fact, more robust than stock exchanges policing measures to prevent and detect insider trade. We do have twenty four to seven market surveillance. We use a surveillance vendor, but also in the coming days are going to announce an expansion of our surveillance systems. And we police these markets both in real time and in retrospect, and we work with the CFTC to investigate specific markets and detect anomalous activity in those markets. We did detect the trading activity by mister Santos. We conducted an investigation that involved an interview with mister Santos, and we referred the entire matter and the evidence that we collected to the CFTC, which allowed them to pursue enforcement but separately in the derivatives and commodities space. These exchanges, like ours, have a responsibility to also bring enforcement actions directly against the users who participate on them. And so we pursue direct exchange enforcement in areas where individuals come on and violate our CFTC approved exchange rules.
Speaker 3: And how since that's happening, and how many investigations are you triggering, like on a daily basis or a weekly.
Speaker 4: Basis, So we sort of estimate quarterly, and volumes upticked quite a bit. So the investigations have upticked quite a bit, but somewhere between one hundred and fifty and two hundred and fifty a quarter become material investigations. We make a number of referrals. I think a year to date we've probably made about forty or fifty referrals to the CFTC. These matters take time, though the legal process. Everybody deserves due process rights, yep. So we afford people do process. We've settled or brought disciplinary actions in a number of cases. We were going to continue to do so. By the end of the year, you'll see a meaningful number of actions. I put for context, the sec in the last year of the Biden administration bought thirty five insider trading actions, So you know, I think the expectation somewhere in the ballpark of that number.
Speaker 2: Do you think that there's some markets that are listed on KYSHI that are more susceptible to manipulation than others?
Speaker 4: I think, much like insider trading in the traditional securities and equities markets, there are certain paradigms that exist that create more likelihood for insider or manipulation risk.
Speaker 2: Like mentioned markets.
Speaker 4: Perhaps you know, I think mentioned markets are a unique category. I don't know that they're necessarily more susceptible to insider risk, but I can see the context or argument for saying they maybe are more susceptible to manipulation. Where one person controls what word they say. On the counter of that, there's a small pool of people who could possibly be capable of manipulating that market. Because we're in exchange that collects user information, we follow KYC know your customer rules for every single individual trading on the exchange, we have a pretty good idea of who's taking positions in certain markets that allows us to police mention markets just like we police allmark.
Speaker 3: You're talking about calshy public companies, right, I just are no.
Speaker 5: I mean, yeah, that's part of it.
Speaker 3: I mean it's the new just ye sixty seconds, I know we've got to run it's interesting earnings updates, KPI forecasts, earnings.
Speaker 2: Comments, what you feel I do?
Speaker 3: And I'm thinking, God, does this replace ultimately the earnings estimates that we follow? Is that the goal? Just quickly?
Speaker 4: I think there's two goals. I think the first goal is what we find is so many people are using Kashi as a resource just to obtain information. Seventy five percent of people who visit the platform are there just to look to learn. They're not there to trade. And so this is a resource for people who might be on a trading desk, people who might be in a financial position where they want to analyze these really subtopic financial questions about a particular KPI. But you know, of course, we are seeing academic research that shows these are somehow and sometimes more accurate than our traditional metrics and financial markets, and so it's exciting to develop further in that space.
Speaker 3: Please come back and talk more about this, because I am fascinated about kind of where this goes and who will all be on it, Bobby, Thank you so much.
Speaker 2: Stay with us. More from Bloomberg Business Week Daily coming up after this.
Speaker 1: You're listening to the Bloomberg Business Week Daily Podcast. Catch us live weekday afternoons from two to five e's during Listen on Applecarplay and Android Auto with the Bloomberg Business app, or watch us live on YouTube.
Speaker 5: Hey.
Speaker 3: G Square raised two point three billion dollars for its seventh flagship fund. It is targeting investments in growth stage technology firms, as founder Larry Ashbrook predicts a coming reset in valuations, which is something we want to dig into.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the firm has started building out the fund with stakes and companies that we talk about all the time, anthropic, polymarket and scale and more.
Speaker 3: Yeah, let's get to it. We welcome Larry Ashbrook. He's founder and managing partner of g Square. He is out there in our Bloomberg New Chicago bureau. Welcome. Welcome. Also, excuse me with us is our Bloomberg News senior IPO reporter Bailly Lips Shelties here in studio. Hey, Larry, want to kick it off with you. First of all, welcome, So great to have you here on Bloomberg tell Us about this fun the companies you are targeting the strategy, and I'm also curious are there more new names to come or do you just want to double down on some of the investments you've already made.
Speaker 6: Well, first of all, thanks for having me. It's honored to be here on behalf of our fifty employees around the world. We're humbled that you included us today in your broadcast.
Speaker 3: Thank you.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's exciting for us. It's exciting for us to be here. The two point three billion, it's the latest of our flagship vehicles really to do the same thing we've been doing for the past fifteen years, which is support great companies in their growth stage, mostly through secondary transactions and saving some capital to help with primary in their growth phase, and really helping them manage their cap tables as they stay private longer. And we're excited about the companies we have in the portfolio and the opportunities set in front of us.
Speaker 7: Yeah, Larry, just walk us through if you can quickly kind of the notion of this growth in the secondary market and what that actually means when G squared can partner with a company like an anthropic and are you providing access to employees to see some liquidity or is it early stage investors who's selling what you're buying.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's all the above, really, and that's changed over fifteen years. Early days, it was heavy focused on employee shares. I think as the market has evolved and secondaries have become a global asset class with the companies staying private longer, more and more of what we're doing is helping other managers and other gps manage their liquidity by taking stakes in their portfolio companies to help them return capital to investors and help the company stay private longer. And so it's a combination of those things. It's everything from one off individual secondaries when the companies have a need to change a life scenario to keep that employee engaged and involved so they don't leave to go to another business, all the way through broad employee tenders where you're making a bona fide offer at one time and a lot of capital upfront and the shares are bought in that way, all the way through to preferred managers buying the stakes that they invested early. And what we've seen is a trend since twenty twenty is actually about seventy percent of the deployment on the secondary market has been in preferred shares, So that's been a fundamental shift in the marketplace as companies stay private longer and the stress on the GPLP relationship is amplified with funds getting to late in life with little capital returned. Other managers need to return capital. So we've been there to support their portfolio companies and it's the sport. What they need to do is GPS, and we're lucky to be where we're at and excited about what's to come.
Speaker 2: Well before the deployment of money comes, the fundraising comes, and you just closed your seventh round two point three or seventh fund rather two point three billion dollars in that fund, Larry, compared to the other funds that you've raised, What was it like raising money in this environment?
Speaker 5: Was it easy? Was it hard?
Speaker 2: I know people say it's never easy to raise money, but there is a lot of money out there right now.
Speaker 6: I think broadly in secondaries, the broader market has woken up a bit. It's it's now a bona fide asset class that's covered. Companies see the validity of it. Other managers, primary focused managers see the validity of it, and LPs around the world have a desire to be involved in secondaries because it provides a bit of a margin of safety in growth investments by the way the capital is deployed and this fundraise for us, anytime you set off to raise capital, it's hard. I like to tell our team all the time, Raising money's hard, deploying it's easy, and selling it's hard. A year in it's the quickest we've raised capital. Our target was just you know, for us in this scale and size and the contrary to portfolio we need about a billion dollars per fund, plus our SMAs and co investments to be meaningful to a certain set of companies getting very large stakes here, we were able to kind of get twice the size and half the time it took us in the prior vintages. And I think it's a lot of things, but mostly a testament to our portfolio management team that did a fantastic job coming out of the COVID environment we were in and the pullback, and when everybody was running out the front door, we were running in sort of speaking, deploying money at really really great prices, and that those historical funds have done well and raising capital at scale has gotten easier for us.
Speaker 7: But Larry, walk us through how you're thinking about this current market already deploying in the seventh fund. You have anthropic, poly market and scale three companies that when I talk to folks in the private ecosystem, are quite pricey and there's a lot of competition for access to that. How are you thinking about whether or not this is a market that's maybe run too far, too fast, and how you're thinking about deploying capital now and what that means through the end of this year and into next. Yeah.
Speaker 6: I like to tell our LPs our job is to get involved in the stars of tomorrow today and do that before their household names, and when they become household names, we know we've done our job right. And I think in those three examples we took contrarying views, got involved early, they have grown to fantastic levels and valuation. I think the way we were thinking about the next chapter of deployment in our seventh fund is we expect some macro headwinds in the fall and into the winter months and maybe early spring, going through some midterm election cycles in the US, and some volatility and we're watching the macro indicators very closely, and we think that there's a higher likelihood than not that we see some interest rate hikes, which on the secondary market, the fundamental drivers are the ten year yield and the federal funds rate along with the equity risk premiums in the public market.
Speaker 8: So as you have an.
Speaker 6: Elevated interest rate environment in a low equity risk premium, secondaries tend to do well. And we think we're going to enter a market that's more similar to the twenty twenty three time period than what we've experienced in the past year or so, and we're going to be prepared to do the best work we can for our LPs.
Speaker 3: You speak of stars, and I feel like with AI there's lots of shiny new things out there, to say the least. Larry in the story that Bailey wrote, and I highly recommend everybody check it out. On the TERMO, it's all about you, guys. He quotes you, or he points out how you argue that the market has become overheated. His competitors are chasing every hot AI name, which has driven valuations to become expensive. Just really briefly, I mean, what kind of correction are you looking for and what names do you think are going to be maybe taken down just quickly.
Speaker 6: Yeah, Well, I think the specific names of inflated valuations that we view internally will leave out of it. What I would say broadly in the market is when everyone's hopping on, it tends to not end well. And there was a period of time where it was very difficult for AI companies to raise money. We were a large investor, and if you look at the cybersecurity AI business Whiz it raised capital at a point time post COVID. It was very difficult to put together money at a ten billion dollar valuation that goes on to sell to Google a couple of years later at thirty two billion. The time to make the two, three, four, five x's in these businesses, in our opinion, for the most part, of the names that you're all reporting on have kind of were there, and we're looking for the next chapter and the next businesses for what we think will be coming over the next few years to get involved with today, and so I think it's natural. It's cyclical. Valuations rise and fall, and deploying capital you need to be very careful right now, just given the multiples that deals are getting done at and the FOMO picking up. Being in Chicago, we're able to be a little bit a mean to that. I think that's one of the benefits.
Speaker 3: It's a Midwestern sensibility. We feel it, we feel it and appreciate it.
Speaker 2: Of a New York office.
Speaker 5: Come on, Having said that, Yeah.
Speaker 2: I do wonder about SpaceX because that was one of your investments. What is the status of that investment now? Do you still own SpaceX?
Speaker 6: Yeah? We don't comment on our dispositions, but what I would say about SpaceX is, first of all, betting against Elon is a good way to lose money typically, and I think they'll go on to even greater things than today. I think fundamentally there's an issue with the IPO market that's being played out right now real time, with how you see SpaceX trading. I think there needs to be some change on how and when options are allowed to come in. You have a massive business that's a fantastic business and shareholder creation event that's taking place, but you have a very small float into ses force buying options coming online. You have a high push on the stock price on the upside, and then you have a massive amount of float coming to market. So it's just a supply and demand situation where you're going to see these companies be stressed even with positive results like you saw come out of the business today. So I think it takes some time to work that out. You need to get the float working properly globally in a massive business that raised a small amount of money compared to its market private market cap. And I think SpaceX is an illustration of what's likely to come with many companies that will seek IPOs in the near term. We need to address the way that IPOs are done. It's going to continue to be an issue for the world's best, fastest growing, most dynamic, largest businesses.
Speaker 7: Larry, we have about twenty seconds here or their seconds here. Just walk us through how you're thinking though about deploying capital and how you're thinking about the exit environment. Are you looking for some of the bigger positions to go public later this year and into next and would you try to sell before that IPO or immediately.
Speaker 3: After really quickly if you could, please, yeah, really quickly.
Speaker 6: Look, we have a job to do for our LPs. We look at harvesting our positions as they meet our profile. And we'll continue to do that work, which has allowed us to raise the capital in which we've been able to. I think that the next group of companies we work on are going to be from the same fundamental kind of thought process, which is we want to partner with businesses, help them manage their cap table, help them work through the difficult issues, and stay private as long as they'd like so they don't have to live their day in ninety day increments and have you all talking about the pros and cons of their public report.
Speaker 3: Listen, when we leave in a guest and we have a million more questions, means you've got to come back, so please come back.
Speaker 6: I'd love to Thanks for having me and look forward to it.
Speaker 3: All right, Larry, thank you so much.
Speaker 2: Stay with us. More from Bloomberg Business Week Daily coming up after this.
Speaker 1: You're listening to the Bloomberg Business Week Daily Podcast. Catch us live weekday afternoons from two to five ys during Listen on Applecarplay and Android Auto with the Bloomberg Business app, or watch us a love on YouTube.
Speaker 2: Shares of Neutron Holdings, better known as the Lime ticker line lam He hit a new high today this after the company reported its first financial since going public earlier this summer, revenue for the one point seven billion market cap company increased to three hundred and four million. That was up twenty four percent year over year. And the guidance too has investors excited.
Speaker 3: Yeah, for the third quarter guidance revenue in the range of three hundred and forty million to three hundred and sixty million, adjusted EBITDA in the range of one hundred and twenty two one hundred and thirty million. And we should point out that after the report, Key Bank Capital Markets allis justin Patterson raised the target on the company to thirty seven from thirty three a share, So the stock right now just below thirty six dollars.
Speaker 2: This year, we got with us Wayne Tang, the CEO of Lime. He joins us from San Francisco. Wayne, good to have you on the program. We went through some of the numbers here. As I mentioned the company's first report since going public, I'm just wondering before we get to sort of the nitty gritty, what is the what is the strategy or the difference between communicating with a group of private investors ahead of the IPO and now communicating with this wider audience of public market investors.
Speaker 5: I would say, I mean, I think the heart of the strategy doesn't change, like we want to continue to deliver great growth on top line and bottom line, which is what you saw in our Q two results. I do think the immediate reaction that we can get on a day like this right after earnings, that's certainly new to me as a CEO who manage a private company historically. But I think what investors are looking for is strong growth, strong growth in top line, strong growth in profits, continue momentum in the business, which is if you look at our Q two results, exactly what we delivered.
Speaker 2: Go ahead, So I want to talk a little bit. You know, here in New York, I don't have access to line bikes. There are some line scooters in parts of the city, right.
Speaker 5: You're correct. We do operate in the Eastern brawls in Western Queens, but we're not in Manhattan.
Speaker 2: So City Bike dominates on the bike side here. I'm just wondering, like, is our markets big enough for more than one micro mobility provider?
Speaker 5: Definitely, and in fact most of them markets were in line is in two hundred and thirty cities around the world, twenty nine countries. In the vast majority of our markets there are multiple operators. In fact, I would say competition improves all of us, and I know in New York oftentimes I hear New Yorkers talk about the fact that City Bike isn't super it could there could be improvements to price, to reliability, to quality, And I think introducing more competition helps the consumers, it helps the city, it helps improve service. So absolutely, I think New York there can be multiple operators. In fact, I think that people who'll benefit will be the consumers and the citizens of New York.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think the comments you made about city by anyone who's used City by here in New York can relate to those Does that mean you have plans to launch the bike service in New York City?
Speaker 5: So we are tim as you point out, we're already in New York City and the.
Speaker 2: Department expand, I guess expand it.
Speaker 5: Has been so we have to work with the city to scale the operations to more boroughs. And we're certainly very interested to bring Lime service to more boroughs across Greater New York. And Lime is the global leader and shared microability by far, and we are the global leader because we have the best hardware. We're vertically integrated in software, hardware, operations, and government relations. And I would love to bring that level of service and quality to more New Yorkers and more more neighborhoods.
Speaker 3: Hey, I want to ask you specifically, Wayne about the Uber partnership and the Uber relationship. You were backed by Uber, they were expected to can I have to look. I'm meant to look at holdings. More than twenty percent of the outstanding shares following the IPO and then at twenty twenty five, fourteen and a half percent of Lines revenue came through the Uber partnership. The remainder generated directly on the Line app. Tell me about the Uber partnership and relationship today.
Speaker 5: Sure so, Uber is an incredibly important and strategic partner for us. Anywhere Linemen Uber both operate. You can access a Line bike and scooter directly into Uber app. And as everyone know, Uber is the biggest transportation platform out there and it's a great new user discovery partnership for us. And when we launch a new city, Uber also allows us to scale faster and get to reliability faster because day one, when Line launches millions of users won't be able to access line directly into Uber app. So that partnership remains very strong, and it's a long term partnership. Back are our our two way exclusive contract lasts for several more years, and our expectation is we're going to continue to invest and scale up that partnership over time.
Speaker 3: So remain on their app as well, yes, okay, okay, for the long term, or for at least a few more years, or maybe even longer.
Speaker 5: Hopefully even longer.
Speaker 2: Okay, Yeah, and at least here in New York again, Lyft has the city Bike partnership, so you know to actually in lift owned city bike. So that's one thing to keep in mind. From the competitive landscape. In terms of the actual modes of transportation, you offer the e scooter, the e bike, the seated e scooter. Which form are you most bullish on? Which form has quicker adoption, higher adoption? Which form would you rather somebody take when they're faced with a choice.
Speaker 5: I would say I'm agnostic to the various we are. We do have. We're the biggest operator of e scooters and e bikes, and we recently introduced the sit down form factor called Lime glider and actually one Time Magazine's Best invention of twenty twenty five. What I want people to do is to drive less. Help us solve some of the transportation challenges that we see in cities all over the world. Congestion is a problem, Parking is always there's not never enough parking. Sustainability is a problem all over the world. And the number one source of carbon pollution in the United States and in Europe is from transportation. And any mode online you're being offered a reliable, more affordable, and far more green alternative to driving. And so I would say any mode I would be great, and it's better than the congestion affordability challenge from cars that we see as a problem in urban transportation everywhere.
Speaker 2: What's the break even on any bike when you make that initial investment anyvibe, how long does somebody have to ride it hours wise for that to make sense for that from an investment perspective.
Speaker 5: So we have a really good payback and we turn on invested capital. So the average e by scooter that we buy is roughly thirteen hundred dollars in terms of a fully landed costs, and we typically payback that initial investment in less than twelve months, and these vehicles last five years plus, so our total cash and cash return is four to five times our initial investment. And we continue to improve our cost to serve and improve the utilization of our vehicle. So I feel like there's even upside to that payback that I just described over the long run.
Speaker 2: Wait, Wayne, thanks so much for joining us. Wayne Tang, CEO of Line, joining us from San Francisco. Stay with us. More from Bloomberg Business Week Daily coming up after this.
Speaker 1: You're listening to the Bloomberg Business Week Daily Pod. Catch us live weekday afternoons from two to five ees during Listen on Apple Karplay and Android Auto with the Bloomberg Business app, or watch us live on YouTube.
Speaker 2: I want to talk a little bit about defense technology, specifically personal defense. Burnet Technologies makes non lethal alternatives to firearms. Thinks co two powered gun like devices that shoot projectiles. We've got with us Con Davis, the CEO of Burnet Technologies. The firm as a market cap of around one hundred and six million dollars. Con joins us from Tampa, Florida. Con good to have you on the program. So you sell to law enforcement security. Can anyone buy one of these are what you call launchers.
Speaker 8: Absolutely, our primary customer is actually the consumer, and they are legal in all fifty stakes, so anyone can purchase one of these devices, and they really are a great option for people looking for a personal protection device.
Speaker 2: How do you make sure they're non lethal?
Speaker 8: So we do a lot of testing to make sure these products are non lethal. It's really about the velocity and the type of round that we use. So there is a hard plastic round that's quite large. It hurts, but it does not penetrate the skin. The other option is a chemical irritant round made of powderized pepper and tear gas that can incapacitate someone for about forty minutes.
Speaker 3: Talk to us about the financials. The stock's been under a ton of pressure, and you did report earnings back in July. I think you talked about fiscal twenty twenty six would not be a revenue growth year, but you did expect improvement in the second half of the year compared with the first half as retailers get ready for the holidays and you're doing some other I guess internal marketing and so on and so forth. But why aren't people Why do you think it's so tough you do direct to sell, You've got retailers, but why is it the numbers aren't better?
Speaker 6: Right?
Speaker 8: Well, right now where we are is we need to get the message out about the product. Everyone we talk to and understands what this product does, gets really excited about it, and frankly, those turn into cells pretty quickly. Where we are today, though, is there have been historic advertising restrictions on things that look like a weapon. So we are in the middle of a marketing shift and a pivot in order to get the message out much broader into a wider audience. So that's what we're doing. We're expanding our sam by about ten times over the next six to nine months as we really reach that new new consumer audience.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we're going to talk about supply chain in a second and sort of how you're dealing with tariffs and component costs and plastics as a result of oil volatility. I'm curious though about the market for law enforcement because when we think about non lethal devices for law enforcement, it really seems like Taser owns the mind share and own owns much of the market. How do you compete with that?
Speaker 8: So really you compete with that in the law enforcement market by effectiveness and the differences betwe the taser product in ours. So the taser product has a range of about twenty to twenty five feet, so it's a pretty close end product. Additionally, you have to be pretty accurate with it given the fact that you have to get two electrodes into an individual. For us, we have a range that's much further, about sixty feet, and when our projectiles hit they create a six foot cloud of gas, which really will impact an individual even if you don't directly strike them.
Speaker 3: So interesting, and we may come back to talking a little bit more about the business and the outlook. But one of the things that we like talking here at Bloomberg business Week daily smaller companies, companies with a different footprint, is what so much of our economy is small business? Right We know that we talk about it all the time. It's the backbone of the US economy. I am curious, what are some of your pain points right now in terms of supply chains, tariffs. We have a president who you know, continues to make some comments about different types of teriffts right now. Earlier we had mentioned President Trump writing tariff's price floors to boost US polysilicon. There's a lot of different dynamics what a large company can deal with in their massive supply chains. They often have leveraged smaller companies that could be trickier. Talk to us about your supply.
Speaker 8: Chain, it can be trickier and frankly, you know, businesses are looking for stability, especially smaller businesses, so that we can plan and grow going forward. Where Berna is uniquely positioned is several years ago we made a pivot from pivoting from manufacturing overseas to producing all of our products domestically here in the US.
Speaker 5: And you were in South Africa before we were.
Speaker 8: We were in South Africa before from a manufacturing point of view. We moved all of that to Indiana. Over the past five years, and even more than that, we started moving our components and other pieces of our supply chain to domestic use US sources, which that has proved a real benefit for US. As you've seen energy prices become volatile and shipping prices go up and down with that.
Speaker 3: That's interesting, So financially it was a smarter move. I'm just curious about labor costs or is it all automated like things We always talk about being so much more expensive to do in the US, but that has not been the case for you.
Speaker 8: That has not been the case for us. I will tell you that we pay a little bit higher of a labor cost obviously here in the US than we would overseas. However, we make that up in quality. So the quality of the manufacturing that we can do when we control it ourselves, and when you're talking about a life saving device, having a quality manufacturing process is really important. Additionally, if you think about the shorter supply lines and supply chains that you have there, you can pull a lot of money out of your inventory when you are manufacturing domestically.
Speaker 2: How much did prices go up when you started manufacturing domestically, they went.
Speaker 8: Up zero dollars. We did not increase price.
Speaker 5: How much?
Speaker 2: How much did you absorb?
Speaker 8: Understood? We understore absorbed about five hundred basis points on the costline that we've now worked through from a manufacturing efficiency point of view, So at this point I would call it neutral.
Speaker 2: When you hear about the onshoing conversation that we've been having over the last well, I mean, it really goes back to twenty seventeen, but I think at least in this term, since you know January of last year, do you think, like, like, we talked to the former CFO of Levi's, for example, and he says, we're never going to make Levi's genes in the US. I mean, Apple is not going to be making iPhones here. Yeah, they're going to make more and more in India, but they're still making them in China. Like, what takeaways do you have for other small businesses about the how realistic it is to onshore in an environment where manufacturing is so specialized globally and where costs very so much.
Speaker 8: So, I think it really comes down to how much labor is in your cost stack. The more that you can drive an efficient manufacturing process and pull individual labor out, the more you're going to be able to manufacture in the US. Additionally, when you're a small business, you know, the ability to reduce the amount of money that you have in working capital from an overseas exposure point of view is massive. We can ramp up and ramp down manufacturing much faster than we can if we had a large supply chain. That really gives us much more flexibility and it allows us to be nimbled of what the consumer demand actually is.
Speaker 3: So again, you know, one of the things you certainly play into the consumer market, right, your director consumer. You also sell to retailers, right, who sell to consumers based on that who is your consumer typically? And I'm curious kind of where are the markets or the stores that you are selling the most and what are you seeing about kind of the health of the consumer.
Speaker 8: Yeah, absolutely, I will tell you that. You know, our view is that the consumer is definitely under pressure and they're making trade offs and what they're choosing to purchase and the events and things that they're trying to do in their lives. You know, we still see really strong sell through in our channels that are you know, sporting goods and outdoor stores, so think best Pro, Cabella's, Sportsman's warehouse stores along those lines. Still definitely see strong sell through to that consumer again, more of that enthusiast outdoors oriented consumer. You know, where our opportunity is going forward is to expand beyond what has really been a pretty narrow early adopting audience to now reach that wider mass audience.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it does sound like, you know, going back to the product itself, I mean some of this stuff you have to kind of inform right in order to sell. There's an educational aspect to this, and I guess it sounds like that's what you guys are figuring out to some extent.
Speaker 8: That is that's where we're focused right now. And we're doing a lot of partnerships both with people online but also with local community organizers to help get the word out about the product and to train people.
Speaker 2: So what about the product pipeline? In ways you can ways you can expand the products that are offered. When the people in your company who are in charge of that pipeline come to you with pitches, what are they pitching?
Speaker 8: So I will tell you we have a great R and D organization based just outside of Boston, Massachusetts, and we're pitching and looking at a couple of different things. One it's how do you reduce the complexity of the product category we have now so that we can lower those manufacturing costs as I discussed. Second, beyond that is starting to talk about how we develop more form factors so that people that aren't comfortable with something that looks like a firearm or looks like a gun, that they still have an option to protect themselves in an active way versus just a passive way.
Speaker 3: Hey, one last thing. You know, we talked supply chains, and I'm just thinking about policy. We mentioned the president, you know, different times coming out tariffs and different policies that impact large business, medium size, small. What else could this administration do as we get ready for midterms to help out smaller businesses? And just got about thirty seconds.
Speaker 8: Yeah, So again it comes back down to really laying out a policy framework and just being consistent. The biggest thing for small businesses is the volatility. That volatility really creates uncertainty, both with the consumer and with investments that we're trying to make as an organization.
Speaker 3: Are you saying this administration isn't consistent.
Speaker 8: I'm saying we need more consistency. Okay, okay, You've had a lot of back and forth and up and down in tariff policy and in oil and gas prices. The more we can be consistent there.
Speaker 5: The better.
Speaker 3: Yeah. That certainly is being felt in some days differently than others. Con Davis, thank you so much. Covered a lot of ground. CEO of Burner Technologies joining us there from Florida on this Wednesday.
Speaker 1: This is the Bloomberg Business Weekdaily podcast, available on Apple, Spotify, and anywhere else you get your podcasts. Listen live weekday afternoons from two to five pm Eastern on Bloomberg dot com, the iHeartRadio app, tune In, and the Bloomberg Business App. You can also watch us live every weekday on YouTube and always on the Bloomberg terminal