Speaker 1: Howdy partners, It's me Rosie Night. Definitely somebody from Texas and not from London. Welcome to a very special episode of X ray Vision to celebrate the release of Twisters, directed by Minari's Lee Isaac Chung. I'm coming to you from Universal Studios, where I was lucky enough to take an actual hay ride to the famous Stage forty four, where such classic movies like The Birds, Jurassic Park three, and Furious seven were filled. When I was there, I was able to chow down on barbecue and chat some of the stars of Twisters, A Man in the Wasps, Katie O'Brien, Nopes, Brandon Praier, and Hellboy Sasha Lane. Hello, guys, thank you so much for taking time to talk to me.
Speaker 2: Of course, of course, I just wanted.
Speaker 1: To start by saying love lives Bleeding Nope, American Honey, Pipeline. There's very special movies to me, So I really appreciate being able to chat to you guys about this, which I also loved.
Speaker 2: See, So thank you for taking the time to do this.
Speaker 1: Yeah, very excited. So first of all, I was going to say something I love about this movie is in disaster movies, we usually see people who are trying to get away from the danger, trying to kind of prepare for it, like hide, shuffle themselves away. But you guys get to embrace it and you get to chase. It was that kind of a cathartic feeling. What did it feel like to kind of get to embrace the danger of chasing tornadoes.
Speaker 3: It's hard to sick for me because it's I feel like, realistically, we're in a safe vehicle, and like even if there was lightning, we weren't allowed to be outside, so realistically we didn't really do anything. But I think it's really it's cool that we got to at least learn a little bit more about the people that do and and what drives them to do it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I had to experience watching so much content and videos of people chasing, just seeing that thrill ride that they go on and just this i don't know, like animalistic roar they get when a tornado actually touches down and happens. It's just like uncontrollable. And I kind of felt that thrill because after the movie, I went back to Oklahoma to chase a little bit, and I started understanding a bit of why there is that drive to do it. But I was with a professional and he kept us at a safe distance from everything. But you want it to happen in a sense so bad. We're like, oh my god, I want to see this thing. And it's so exciting to be in the midst of like the hail and the rain and yeah, I don't know. There is this adrenaline that's just uncontrollable that just just drive.
Speaker 1: You know what is expensive writing a hay ride around Universal Studios. I'm sure that cost them a lot of money. Luckily we didn't have to pay for it, but we do have to pay for other stuff. So listen to the ad.
Speaker 4: My back.
Speaker 1: And something that I thought was felt really organic was the relationship that we get with you guys. It's we're just thrown into it. We become a part of it. What was it like for you guys fostering that and kind of making that unit that we that we see.
Speaker 4: I think it's easy when you're shoved into a truck for long hours, you just you start to bond and like you, I think that's the whole reason why you pay attention to casting and understanding the circumstances of like if you want this to be authentic, you need to get a blend of people who can form authentic relationships. And going on the journey and being on location a lot and being stuck in random middle places of vocal Home, I just kind of made it like very easy to form that bond and then make it look real because we were genuinely enjoying it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you kind of mentioned about like preparing watching content like people who do chase. Were there any disaster movies, Like do you guys have favorite disaster movies that you revisited while this or that you just like outside of this job.
Speaker 3: I just to watch Outbreak, which feels real. It's really real, and there's something about it. I don't know what it was, but I like when I was a kid, I was obsessed with it. Yeah, and I barely remember it now.
Speaker 2: I think like watching the original Twister of course to prep, and also rewatching Isaac's films to just kind of le Isaac Chunk's movies to kind of prep as well. And also truly being in something like Nope where it really focused on spectacle made it and it was like a summer movie as well. Gave me that rev up for something like twisters of understanding the scale of what we're doing. But this was a new chapter of something that's already been done, so there is a different level of pressure there. But yeah, it's it's so fun to just kind of dive into everything.
Speaker 1: Speaking about Lee, I mean, he's such a fantastic direct and coming into this he's making something that's so unlike what we've seen before. What was your experience of walking with Lee and kind of the johnny of going with him on this movie.
Speaker 4: He's so calm, So that was really nice because you're making something big scale, and obviously we all kind of feel a little bit of pressure given the circumstances, but we all had a lot of faith and trust and what he was going to do with this film and why be down to be a part of it, And he just remained so calm and so you could just kind of trust his vision because even some of our more like improvd parts and whatever, it was just like it was just allowed est like room to just go with it, so that it was nice.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I think the what I told Isaac the first time we sat down and met was you've earned my trust as a filmmaker and as an artist. So I trust you. I'll do anything. I'd play the bush if you need me too, I would literally do anything. You've earned my trust in that. And then at the end of the meeting, I was like, now you've earned my trust as a human. You have a good heart, and I'm just here for you as a friend and as a collaborator, and let's go on this journey. I'd love to be a part of it in any way that I can't. And he continued to showcase and earn my trust more and more, and especially after seeing the final cut, him like I do anything, he says over and over and over again.
Speaker 3: Yeah. He also is like, it's a really rare and cool thing. But he gives us a lot of onus of our character, and so he's like he trusts us as well, which is really cool. But yeah, just a really brilliant, sweet, smart, lovely human.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I was going to say something that really struck me about kind of the Tornado Wrangler crew is there are archetypes. There's somebody who's the wingman, there's somebody who's good at tech, but they feel unique. So could you talk a little bit about those archetypes laid out for you? Was that something in the script did you kind of improve to bring those characters to life in a way that felt a bit more natural.
Speaker 4: I mean I feel like in terms of me with the drones that was given for me, yeah, but then having free range of not even having to like, hey, talk like you're from here or talk like this. It was just you just really get to embody it and go with it and kind of But I also could, for me at least like hide behind my prop if anything. It was like drone and goggles, you know, I couldn't see anything, so I was just I was just living.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think that's what I received too, is just in one of the early drafts, it was something about Boon being into the music aspect and then also being the camera guy. But that's all I really got from it. Everything else is kind of just shaped. And what's funny is I never got to showcase how I play Boone really like I ended up ultimately just getting that role. So there's in the midst of my prep, like a few weeks in, I was just like, oh my god, I have to send a voice note to Isaac to be like, Hey, this is all I'm gonna sound. Man. I hope it's all right. I hope boon because that's not written, you know. And he was just like, oh yeah, I love hearing boone and then just gave me the thumbs up and I just ran and threw things at the wall, and it was just good to continuously get that push and trust of like keep pushing, go, go, go, do whatever you want, and.
Speaker 4: So wild to hear that accept for the first time just talking to him. And then all of a sudden he was like, oh, let's run a teat and he's like I want to.
Speaker 2: I'm like, yeah, like I could.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I couldn't do that.
Speaker 2: I'm like you, I don't even know where a game from. It was just like in the.
Speaker 3: Moment, just like I like, I know people to do that all the time. Yeah, yeah, it's great.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I also like I didn't go to college, so I was really I love I didn't go to college representations show. I was like in the screening, like thank you.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I mean I feel like a lot of time, depending on what you're doing, you don't need it.
Speaker 4: You know. The trade is a.
Speaker 3: Really like an underutilized thing these days.
Speaker 2: Yeah, people have been asking me, what do you relate to with boone. I've been like, I don't really know he's longer, but I can relate to the go to college.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm like, we've made it all kinds of right things you kind of touched on seeing the finished cut. I was not even tease a pun, I just say this look becau. I'm English, But I was blown away by the movie. It was like, it was absolutely wonderful. How did it feel to go on that journey, be on location, be in those trucks, and then see the finished cut and see that kind of the vision the isa is a cad because I feel like you feel his care and you feel that his skill is on the screen. We were talking about it after watching the film yesterday, but it almost feels like you're not watching a movie. You're just in it with you guys, and it feels really natural. So how did it feel to kind of watch that final cut?
Speaker 2: I haven't seen the official final Yeah you yeah, watching the final cut was just like I said, maybe you're in Isaac's trust even more. But then also being surprised because there's stuff that I was filming on the cell phone that I thought were going to be dead shots, because you know, and this is just I'm giving it up to the effects team for this, because yeah, I'd be filming the windshield and normally there's like the c stand in the camera and all that stuff there, and then the VFX team wiped it all out, and my camera phone footage is so like in there so much, and I was just so blown away by the final product. And then also seeing Isaac's style be added to a big blockbuster summer movie, Like he knows how to pull in your heart strings seamlessly, and his shot selection is incredible, and also just the way he takes those beats and moments where they don't feel stretched, they feel like a like you said, like you are there and invested in this, And it's just such a talented artist And I hope it showcases to big studios to trust directors like Isaac to be at the helm of these big movies.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think it brings like a hat and a humanity to them. I was going to say, I mean, obviously you're coming at this as actors from a place of character, but did that feel like that was something you had to get used to to balance bringing this kind of hat and humanity in the face of these giant tornadoes or was that something that just felt normal.
Speaker 4: I would say I felt normal just because also on the flip side, it's just like tornadoes here here, you know, you know what I mean. So like, I think it was very easy to stay grounded because we're on location and we're dealing with all these extra things, but we aren't actually like witnessing all these major tornadoes while we're doing it, so like you stay intimate, and then they add all the extra big stuff and then you're.
Speaker 3: Like, ah, but it was it was always fascinating to walk in on set what set deck had done overnight or whatever. Walk and we're looking at completely wrecked houses and stuff thrown all over the place, and you can really you know really and they based out off of, you know, actual photos of scenes that happened after tornadoes, and so it really does hit you where you're like, wow, this is what people woke up to one day. We're like here's the refrigerator. They're missing their dog, you know, like where's my kid? These kind of things that it really does add this like the severity of it, and it's not just it's not just oh it's a lot of property damage. There's literally like people's lives are lost, ruined, and devastated because of this.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: One thing I bought up earlier too, is that there's one of the towns where we were in a neighborhood and there's buildings that were messed up, and I was like, oh, man, the prop team they all killed Setek and the neighbors are like, no, that's just like torn up buildings that I just haven't been able to get fixed yet. And they're like, yeah, real tornado actually hit here and that's real damage. Then you guys added to it, and I was like what Yeah, So it just makes you really feel we're doing something more important than this summer movie.
Speaker 1: And we're going to take a quick break and we'll be right back. We're back, Yeah, I mean talking about that, there's a moment that felt so lead to me. But it was like, after all of the damage, the first thing we see is like a woman and she's picking up like a handmade mug and it's like the thing she wants to save. So I really felt like there's those moments in there where you feel the human cost, which obviously also plays a part as the movie goes along. Speaking of which, something I love about the film is you guys are introduced in one way, let's say, and as the movie changes, you don't change any of your behavior, but the perception that we get of your characters changes with the movie. What was that like to approach knowing that you would be presented in a certain light and kind of knowing the truth of your characters as you went along.
Speaker 3: It's like it's more of Daisy's journey. You know, she's seeing Okay or Kate, I guess kind of has this like weird, icky feeling about going home and maybe even kind of has this prejudice of the people around her or where she grew up. And then it's like kind of realizing, oh, no, home is where people, where the heart is, and where people are like taking care of their own community. So I think I love that it played in her kind of reappreciating where she came from in her journey.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's definitely one of the coolest parts of the movie. So when you're approaching a film like this, like obviously it's a job, right, how does it feel to kind of be at that coming to the end of this job and knowing that it's about to be out there and this kind of intimate thing, those hours spent in the truck when it was just you guys building these relationships is about to be out there and people are seeing it.
Speaker 4: It's exciting because I feel really proud of it. And like we said, like I think what the Isaac's done is something incredible and I can't wait for him to get his flowers for that as well, and so like if anything not really is like usually i'd be like, we are they going to think? And with this it's just like have fun. Like I think, I think it's ultimately gonna just it's gonna be great to have it out there.
Speaker 3: Finally.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I feel like it's been a part of our lives for so long and now I'm ready for it to be out there. I'm excited and I'm like, oh, I wish I was out there like right now.
Speaker 4: Yea.
Speaker 2: But yeah, also with Isaac, I know I won't act like this was an easy shoot, like it's an easy shoot for him. This is a big deal and yeah, it was a massive thing to take on. And like he said, he said, facing this big type of movie, big tent pole movie after a film like Minati is almost like chasing a tornado and facing one and how are you going to operate within it? And yeah, I think it being out there would be amazing in him to receive his flowers for that as well. And I just hope, like I said before, I help other filmmakers like Isaac get these opportunities because I feel like he knocked it out the park and just trust these filmmakers.
Speaker 3: It's cool because I'm like, literally just not even worried, you know, like I haven't seen the finished product, and I'm like, yeah, no, it's gonna be great.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's awesome. Yeah, that's wonderful. Thank you all so much. I really appreciate it. It was just the joy to talk to you and congress on the movie.
Speaker 2: It's absolutely thank you so much.
Speaker 1: Thanks for listening. Twisters is out now, and if you want the coolest Twisters much check out our friends It's super Yucky links in the show notes, and remember stay tuned next week for more House of the Dragon coverage and five Days of Depot and Wolverine YEP, a new episode every single day featuring superstar comic book creators, rankings, lists, and of course, deep dives about the stars of the MCUs upcoming movie.
Speaker 5: Bye x Ray Vision is hosted by Jason Epson and Rosie Knight, and there's a production of iHeart podcasts. Our executive producers are Joelle Smith and Aaron Kaufman. Our supervising producer is a Boo Zafar. Our producers are Carmen Laurent and Mia Taylor. Our theme song is by Brian Basquez.
Speaker 1: Special thanks to Soul Rubin and Chris Laude, Kenny Goodman and Heidi our discord moderator.