Speaker 1: And now.
Speaker 2: Watching my mic back like we can strike with waters from headquarters behind him and the sides in the border.
Speaker 1: Now, if you're just tuning in to civic cipher, I am host Rams's job. I go by the nine key ward host indeed, and let need you to stick around a little bit more because we still have a lot more show in store for you. We will be talking about the killers of Ahmad Aubrey and their sentence, which is a rather different outcome. And you know, to be journalists, we have to be fair to you know, make sure that we tell the stories, all the stories in the right way. And so we'll spend some time talking about that. Also, you know, I come across a lot of data, a lot of statistics and things like that. So I do want to tell a story. I believe that it is the celebration of the black mind. So we're going to do that for our way black fact and discuss I named Thomas Fuller aka the Virginia Calculator in a few more minutes. But first up, we are going to discuss how to become a better ally, all right, so we work in mediad indeed, yes, yes, sir, And so this is going to get a little technical for those of you who don't really follow media, but there's a company. It's called Nielsen. Nielsen is the company that gives us all of our ratings. Let's just know how we're doing. Right. Nielsen has chosen to become a better ally, and we're gonna shout them out. I'm going to read this for you. This is from inside radio dot Com. We're radio nerds, so we read this sort of stuff, but we had to share it all right. In a move that will potentially make radio ratings more accessible to more station owners, Nielsen has launched a new program geared at helping diverse owned media companies raise their profile with advertisers and agencies. This diverse media equity program will also include helping minority own radio stations to be measured even if they are unable to afford a subscription, as well as the launch of the first ever report on diverse owned media reach and audience profiles quote. Nielsen is investing in diverse owned media by getting rid of historical barriers and traditional measurement. CEO David Kenny said in a statement, advertisers and the media industry recognize the need to be more inclusive and want to ensure they reach an audience that is increasingly diverse. We are leading the charge to develop a consistent framework and metrics to help demonstrate the value of diverse own, diverse owned media. What that means basically is information is expensive. To get ratings to know how your programs are doing, that's expensive. Right, They're making those ratings more accessible to black owned radio stations.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: And for those that follow me a little bit more closely, you might know that I work with the Black and Information Network as my Monday through Friday and then my Saturday or Sunday or whatever day that civic cipher errs in your city is sort of our passion project. You and our passion project here one time for the Black Information Network. Yes, indeed, got to say that. So that data making its way to black owned radio stations and minority owned radio stations, whether or not they can afford it, is a huge win because it helps those stations have get more up to speed, have a little bit more we're talking gospel sting, We're talking stations that you know, it doesn't really they could do better, They can make better decisions. These aren't you going to change the landscape and it's not being unfair. This is this is a brilliant move and it's a it's a kind move, and it deserves to be shouted out. So shout out to Nielsen. And you know, if you want to learn how to become a better ally, you know, take a page out of that book right there. All right, moving on, let us talk about this story from CNN dot com. All right, A jury has found the three white men who killed a Maud Aubrey in twenty twenty guilty of all charges in their federal hate crimes trial, backing the prosecutor's case that the men chased the twenty five year old through the streets of a Georgia neighborhood because he was black. I'm not going to say these people's names, because I got beef. The men were found guilty of interference of rights, a federal hate crime, and attempted kidnapping. The verity comes nearly two years to the day after Aubrey was killed in the neighborhood outside Brunswick on February twenty third, twenty twenty, and it's months after the three were convicted in a state court in November of all right, so let's bring ourselves up to speed, so we knew that they were convicted in the state court. Right then they had to go to trial, like a federal trial or something like that, and they were gonna accept some sort of plea that would have allowed them basically a lenient sentence. You know, I'll be the first to admit, I'm not a court or.
Speaker 3: The idea was that they'd confessed that they did this for the reasons that they did it, Okay, so accepting a lesser charge for doing so Okay, Hey, we killed that guy because he was black, and we'll admit that.
Speaker 1: But you guys got to take it easy on us. Cool. I think you for saying that, because it's hard for me to say that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And then they were like, nah, we're not going to take it easy on you for that what you're talking about.
Speaker 1: But I remember that that came out in the news and a lot of people and sort of our circles were kind of worried. I thought it was hurt. It was bad, Yeah, because I was sure.
Speaker 3: That that was the worst thing I'd ever heard of, Like, wait, what m somebody I think must have felt like I felt, though.
Speaker 1: Well, unlike you know, the Kim Potter judge, unlike the Kyle Rittenhouse judge, this judge in Georgia, or wait a minute, yeah, I know the judge in Georgia. I'm not sure who the judge is now, but that judge in Georgia was a g right. I remember we talked about on the show. He made the court sit in silence for the amount of time that the men chased off a mod just so that everyone in the courtroom would know how long these people were making the decision to end this man's life and otherwise interfere with his liberty. Right. This is one story where we can look at it and say we don't want to say it's good, because it's not good, but we can say, now you're doing your job. I'd like to say it's good well and should be normal normal. That's that's what That's what I'm trying to say. It's not it's not that I want to make it good like hahaha, but it's just it's fair.
Speaker 3: It's not celebratory in a trivial way. Yeah, that's why I didn't want to use work goods. It's the sense of accountability that should exist. You should not be able to murder people with impunity because you felt like it. Yes, like, that's not how this is supposed to go, except for when the victims look like us.
Speaker 1: Yeah, disproportionately black people and they don't get the the perpetrators look like them.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we can turn back the page to the story we just or the segment that we know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because I can. Yeah, No, absolutely, we can rewind.
Speaker 3: We gotta view, we can rewind. We have we keep our shows. Yeah, absolutely, so we can rewind. Okay, never mind, Well.
Speaker 1: That reminds me too. By the way, quick blood. If you just tuned into the show, or you catch it halfway through, you missed last week, or you want to catch up on another Apple, so hit the website, Citecyper dot com because we do take the radio show and we make it available for download on your favorite podcasting platform via our partnership with the Black Information Network pacifica radio network, iHeartMedia, you know, you name it. We've got a lot of partners and we have a lot of listeners, and we appreciate that because we never expected for things to get to where they are, and now we're starting to feel a little bit more indispensable in the media space, at least for the things that we talk about, and that's because of the support of our listeners. So we hope we continue to do right by you and we continue to be fair in this space. That's why I love the fact that you're realistic and I'm optimistic, because I can't have my head in the clouds and we can't just be dooming gloom all the time either. So anyway, back to the story, here's a quote, thank God for this good morning that Wanda and Marcus have prayed for. I'm imagining Wanda and Marcus are the parents of them all. It is because of their conviction to get full justice, not partial justice, that we get to celebrate this moment. Attorney Ben Crump told reporters the gentleman who took Ahmud's life had agreed to plead guilty before a trial, but the judge overseeing the case rejected the deal after Aubrey's family raised concerns that the resulting sentence could lead to favorable imprisonment conditions. That's what I was trying to say earlier. US Attorney General Merrick Garland, responding in Washington Tuesday to a reporter's question about Cooper Jones's statement appeared to choke up as he answered, quote, I cannot imagine the pain that a mother feels to have her son run down and then gunned down while taking a jog on a public street, Garland said at a Justice Department news conference. My heart goes out to her into the family. That's really all I can say about this. Now. I know we're not talking to these people because I don't imagine these people listen to the type of stations that carry this show, and if they do, they certainly probably aren't listening to our show. But I do want to say something so that it is said. I've heard this before, and I may have even shared it on the show before, but many people in this instance had taken issue with Ahmud Aubrey his jog quote unquote, and his attire whilst jogging right that he did not look like a jogger.
Speaker 3: Okay, it's funny, we went on a jog earlier. You stole it from out of my brain. Ramses, go ahead talking about it. We went for a jog today in one of the wealthiest neighborhoods in the state of Arizona. Yeah, we did not look like we were dressed appropriately for a jog either.
Speaker 1: I'm guessing I have.
Speaker 3: On almost slacks and a hoodie and a hat and a jacket, and I didn't. I actually did have on some runners, and I did not have on jogging or workout clothes. So I'm sure we could have been none of us painted with the same brush.
Speaker 1: But what were we doing. It was a bona fide jog. We're taking care of our fitness. We went out to talk and discuss business and you know, we have a lot of business together, and then you know, throw some ideas around about the show and get some exercise. That's what we were doing.
Speaker 3: And turns out we did some pretty dangerous and I didn't think about it in that scope until now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, man, that's why it was so it's important to share this too. There was a woman that drove by us today. You want to tell the story.
Speaker 3: Yes, there was a young lady I'll call her, but no, a young lady that's old enough to be our mother's at least.
Speaker 1: There you go, and a.
Speaker 3: Very very expensive automobile who gave us a very joyous smile and a very courteous wave as she passed us.
Speaker 1: Okay, stop, stop now. If you're listening to that story, you think, well, yeah, that's that's normal. Nothing crazy there. But if you're us in that neighborhood, maybe not dressed in what. I don't know, who goes shopping for running clothes. I just run in the clothes that I'm wearing. That's I You know, I don't I play basketball and jeans why not? You know, I'm not an athlete, so I don't need to prove anything. But if you're us and you hear that story, you're like, wow, that's amazing that that's woman who's that age and that type of vehicle and that type of neighborhood was happy when she saw you and she waved. This lady was not black, by the way. Oh yeah, no, she was not black. It was such a surprise, right, It goes a long way. So if you're in a surprise because thirty forty cars drove by us, Yeah, she was the singular smile and wave that we got. Yeah. Now, another thing that a lot of folks said who took issue with a mod Aubrey or his jogging in the neighborhood mentioned that he stopped at a house that was under construction. And I did say this on the show before if you had any concerns about that, Well, what was he doing in that house? You shouldn't have been in that house looking at the house under construction. He could have been stealing. Okay, we're going to check your prejudices right now. Right, if that's what you believe, you shouldn't have been in that house, right, which in your mind is very sensible. Why would anybody go into the house that's under construction unless they were up to no good? Right in your brain, that seems like a very reasonable and very sensible question to ask. Right, We're going to challenge your prejudices right here, Q and I are going to do that. Do me a favor. Swap a mod Aubrey for Kelly. What is Kelly's last name? Anderson? Kelly is the same age as a mode Aubrey, twenty five year old. Let's make her white. Let's give her blond hair and blue eyes. Let's make her young, Let's make her attractive. Okay, So now we've just changed the person, right, same story, though she's out in a neighborhood where people may not know her. She goes into a construction site, checks it out, leaves the construction site. Now, are you still saying, well, you know, she shouldn't have been in the house. You know, she had to have been up to no good? Are are you still saying that? Because now she's a white woman with blond hair and blue eyes. Right, So does personal accountability matter or is it skin color? Did you learn something about yourself after I said that? This is what we've been trying to say. Now. I know on the show, I've shared that once upon a time I had a house under construction. Once upon a time before then, even I dreamt of building a house, right, I wanted to build this really cool house that I could have. You know, I've always been into music and that sort of thing. I wanted a studio. I thought that'd be so cool. Now I have one. You know, Uh, this is you know, this is kind of how. This is how I imagine my future. You know a lot of folks might recognize you have to imagine things before they manifest themselves in reality. Right. And one of the ways that I went about doing this was by engaging wherever I could. I needed the visual, I needed the tactile response so that I could know how to piece things together in my mind, how to formulate a plan and bring it into manifestation. So I was interested in construction techniques and how how do you you know, incorporate class in brick into the same architecture, you know, like those sorts of things, because those are things you know growing up in the southwest of the United States, those are things that you know, we work with the building materials that are here, that are that are going to last. Right, So I took an interest in those things. Then later when I actually bought a house, right, I paid the money to the proper, to the need, the home builder. I designed my house. I picked out the colors, looked like a castle, was right on the lake. I was, man, I was doing my thing, man anyway, So I did this whole thing, and of course it takes a while for them to actually build the house. I bought the plot of land. They had my money. You know, everything was on the up and out, and this house was so far away. But because I'm me and I needed to see it and I needed to feel it, right, what I do. Whenever I got some free time, I took that long drive out there to go see my house and see how far along they had gotten. And I'd be there on that plot of land where I was going to bring my son. I was going to bring my girl and my family, and we were going to live. Right. I would see that plot of land, and then I would see when they put the sticks in the strings, and then I would see when they poured the cement, you know, And I saw where the driveway was going to go, you know, and then I saw the wood frames go up. I would go back and back and back, and I would see all the supplies laying in the backyard for the pool and every you know, I saw it all, and i'd go and I would go and I would go, and what happened? People would see me there? What is this guy doing over there? Does he live around here? Who is he? You know? Well? Is that guy up to no good? You know? Those are the looks that I got. And I feel like that's the story that we are seeing here, because as we now know, this man didn't steal anything. This man was in fact running, you know, and this man's life is now over because of these three men. So I just want to make sure that I said that. Now let's get back to the these guys that took his life. Did you hear about the the court proceedings where they like went through their social media history and pulled up all of their like racist jokes and things like that to help kind of establish the character of these men.
Speaker 3: Social media, cell phone records, their normal, their normal, daily day to day conversations with their practitioners and neighbors and friends and colleagues.
Speaker 1: One of these guys an.
Speaker 3: Ex cop right, who disgustingly provided no objection to the way that these guys thought and spoke. That's actually what stood out to me the most when they're talking about the records of these conversations. There's no record of any of these people been like, Yo, that's kind of wild what you said there.
Speaker 1: Par for the course, And you know what, you might be listening in Oregon. You might be listening in Vermont, You might be listening in Texas, you might be listening in San Diego, might be listening anywhere in the country. Wherever you are. We appreciate that listenership and the support. But you might be thinking that doesn't happen here, and I'm here to tell you that it probably does.
Speaker 3: You can remove the probability, it's not probable, it absolutely happened. Sure, I try to sadly, it absolutely happened. You know, I try to give where you are too, but.
Speaker 1: I think I think one of these guys was was an ex cop, right, if I'm not mistaken, I'm not the eldest, the older of the three gentlemen, like there was a guy and his son, and then the neighbor driving a truck. The older gentleman yests upon a time a police officer. Yes, some relationship with the criminal justice system. That I'm sure sure, And so it's funny how there are so many people in this country that will take this word police and blindly back it. It can do no wrong, or they might have some concessions. They will see that hey man, you know there's a few bad apples. Ever, you know, we'll force that big. You're bound to get some folks or kooky and whatever. But overall they do a great job, right, instead of looking at it like, well, you know what, we have a system in place that affords opportunities for advancement and fails to punish or thoroughly vet You know, folks who have harmful beliefs and ideologies who cannot execute the job fairly equally across the board. You know, there are people who say, you know, you know, obviously there's a call, very loud call to defund the police. There's a group of people who say, no, defend the police, right, And I believe that the police does not really need defense. I'm being funny here, because they are the I believe it's the second largest military force on the planet, or the third. If you take the police departments in the United States and put them together, that is the you know, in terms of tanks, you know, helicopters and all that sort of stuff. But you know, there are people that you know defend the police, right, I get it, I get it. You know you might know someone who's a police officer. But remember, you know, the person. We're not talking about the person. We're talking about the institution, the machine they are a part of. Right. It is killing us literally, and then if it hasn't killed us, it very much shapes the world in which we live. Right. I was reading a report on the cash bail system, just to continue down this path, on the cash bell system in the United States, and basically the cash bell system works like this, you could be arrested for allegedly doing something. Right. I read a story the other day about a woman who her puppy. Her dog gave birth to puppies at the neighbor's house.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 1: She went to the neighbor's house and says, hey, my dog is here with the puppies at your house. I need my dog back. The neighbor says, no, this is my dog and those are my puppies. So the lady's like no, and then they have to blow back and forth. These neighbors call the police on the woman who owns the dog. Woman has to go home. Please show up at her house and arrest her, take her to jail. Judge gives her a sixty thousand dollars bond, right which, if you go to a bail bonds company I didn't know this, you have to pay them ten percent. So you give them six thousand dollars that you never get back, regardless of if you're guilty or innocent, and they will put up the rest of the bond for you to get out of jail so that you can fight that case from a position of power, a better position than being Incarcerat better positions, your position of power, ain't it so? So what happens is this woman can't afford that six thousand dollars, not everybody has that money there, So she's in jail, hasn't been able to even plead whether or not she's guilty or innocent, hasn't even been able to tell her story right, doesn't get to see a judge for weeks because she can't make that bail right, and loses her job because she's in there, almost loses her house, right, And that cash bail system incentivizes police to make arrests. There's a brilliantly made case. If you want to learn more, check out our daily story on the Black Information Network. It's called Our Daily Story with Ramsey's Job. And you can hear, you know, stories like this and others where you do deeper dives, but you know, it gives you a sense that there's a broken system there, and not everybody can fight back against it. I can't say it any better, right, And a system designed to profit off of arrest off of poor people and keep poor people incarcerated. It's quite unfortunate and it's really hard to beat it. And remember that scenario that I said didn't have anything to do with guilt or innocence. It just is something that sucks you into it and if you plead so that you can get out. Now you have a criminal charge, and that's with you forever, you know, and so forth and so anyway, and you're incentivized to plead because yeah, if the sentence might be two months, but it might you know, it might be sixteen. You can beat the case. Plead, I get no time, sure, I'll do that, yeah, exactly, or time served, and then the next time you get picked up on now you have a record. Anyway, we could go on, and then of course we're talking about overly policed, disproportionately poor neighborhoods in the country. Man. We can talk about the criminal justice system. We can talk about police the institution, and we can say, hey, man, they got a lot of money. Let's take this money and put it into preventative measures. So that precludes the necessity of so many police.
Speaker 3: Preventative measures are less profitable. And we live in the capitalistics science. So that's what the bailbonds people say. And nobody ever gives them a hard time about letting people out of prison before their child date. But if you want to end the cash bail system, they're like, oh, you're being soft on crime. Wait a minute, isn't that exactly what you guys do.
Speaker 1: All right, never mind, I think my points are too crisp. Okay, it's time for the way Black history. Fact. In fact, we went over a little bit. Q. Here's with some way Black history. Thomas Fuller, often called the Virginia Calculator. Let me pause for a second.
Speaker 3: His often called name is cold blooded the Virginia Calculator, that's the one. Was born in seventeen ten on the slave coast of West Africa, when pre colonials scrambled for slaves replaced their earlier trade in gold. Fuller was snatched from his native land, sold as a slave, and brought the Colonial America and brought two Colonial America in seventeen twenty four at age fourteen. Although considered literate or illiterate I'm sorry, because he could not read or write in English, he consistently demonstrated an unusual talent for solving complex math problems in his head. Northern Virginia planters Presley and Elizabeth Cox, both of whom were also illiterate, quickly recognized his surprising abilities and put them to use in every phase of management of their two hundred and thirty two acre plantation farm about four miles from Alexandria, Virginia. Can I say wow wow?
Speaker 1: Okay?
Speaker 3: Working as a field slave most of his adult life, it was generally believed that Fuller must have taught himself how to calculate early in life, probably as a child in West Africa, in an environment where slaves were forbidden to learn to read and write. He explained his skills is coming from an experimental I'm sorry applications around the farm, such as counting the hares and a cow's tail while or counting grains and bushels of wheat and flax seed. Allegedly, he also figured out new way of multiplying how far apart objects were, wading into complex astronomy related computations now carried out by computers, The Virginia Calculator was.
Speaker 1: A bad man.
Speaker 3: Not Surprisingly, his owners refused numerous offers to purchase Fuller because they had come to depend on his amazing abilities to measure things with his mind alone. I'm going to pause for a second because I hope people listening to this can wonder at him and marvel at him, and also comprehend how sad and sick and sinister the people were who owned him.
Speaker 1: And had the capacity to sell him.
Speaker 3: In seventeen eighty, when Fuller was seventy years old, a Pennsylvania businessman and a couple of associates, on hearing of his extraordinary genius, traveled to Alexandria to meet him. Out of curiosity, they asked a few questions. Two were noteworthy, how many seconds were in a year and a half and two how many seconds had a man lived who was seventy years old seventeen days and.
Speaker 1: Twelve hours old.
Speaker 3: When he correctly answered forty seven million, three hundred and four thousand, and let me make sure I'm reading this right, ramses two point two billion, and I'll say it exactly two billion, two hundred and ten million, five hundred thousand, eight hundred, respectively, in less than two minutes. Each time one of the men objected, citing his own calculations were much smaller, Fuller quickly responded, stop, massa, you forgot the leap year when the observer adjusted for the extra day every four years. They grudgingly accepted Fuller's answer. Their observation of Fuller's computations or computational abilities rather, were later submitted to the Abolitionist Society of Pennsylvania. I've never met this man, but this part is really sad to me. Fuller died on the Cox Farm near Alexandria, Virginia, in seventeen ninety. He was eighty years old. The Columbian Sentinel of Boston, Massachusetts newspaper noted it in its obituary of Fuller, Thus died Negro tom this self taught arithmetician, this untutored scholar. Had his opportunities of improvement been equal to those of thousands of his fellow men, neither the Royal Society of London, the Academy of Science at Paris, nor even Newton himself need have been ashamed to acknowledge him a brother in science. That brilliant, magnificent man lived his life as a slave, as those that owned him acknowledged his brilliance and used it to further their own purposes.
Speaker 1: I want to say something again. I know, if you're listening to our voices today, that you perhaps don't believe this, but there are some people who believe that black thought is inferior. They may not say it out loud, they might not even know that they think that, but they regard it as inferior. Q you're a brilliant man. I've known that for decades. I don't think think anybody would suggest to me that I'm not certainly if they're certainly not, if they're related to me. I got a good family man. They really like me, And I think it's important to celebrate the black mind. You know, we we we discuss contributions to society. We certainly we discuss a lot of like like civil rights activists, like those sorts of things, you know, But and we discuss science and medicine or ebony excellence. We talk about all these sorts of significant contributes, but just to focus on the black mind for a second and say that it is just as valuable and just as capable. You know, Granted, we're all different people. We're a full race of people. So there we have a full spectrum of intelligence, of abilities, of charisma, of looks of anything that you could have at you know. But I think that a lot of times our black minds and our black thought gets overlooked, and unfortunately, our words too, unless we're rapping. And so that's a big part of the reason why civic cipher exists is because you're not hearing rap music right now. You're hearing black people actually talk about something that we feel matters, and hopefully you feel like it matters too. Amen. With that said, I think that that's going to conclude for today, So once again, thank you for tuning in the Civic Cipher. I'm your host Rams' job.
Speaker 3: I still go by the name q Ward today. Maybe we'll stick with that, maybe not.
Speaker 1: I don't know. I like you. It's been working. We've got some years in on the airwaves. I'm ad at it. Do us a favorite hit the website Civiccipher dot com. Download this in any previous episodes. You can also submit topics to the show. Anything you want us to talk about. Any questions you have, we'd be happy to answer. Follow us on all social media. We are at Civic Cipher on all platforms. Make a donation to the show. As we mentioned, the show is growing and grows with your support. We're trying to do something special here.
Speaker 3: It only grows with your support, by the way, exactly, and so don't be afraid to shoot us and chips, y'all.
Speaker 1: And until next week, peace.
Speaker 2: Y'all, mayo we hand to live these brothers. A fabulous is our lady showing you where from traveled. This will speak to you from sunlight to move busting on stage like gonna fight s.
Speaker 1: Ve my mic back. You're like that Jost journals too.
Speaker 2: We can strike borders with waters from head border that's behind and the beline sides up and the border the press hastings.
Speaker 1: We bring it to you as it happens the streets. Love pop to him from music.
Speaker 2: Your rapping the street compared the slash we expando. You're to fight the slander with the proper propaganda.
Speaker 1: What's happening? You gotta question the nast