Speaker 1: I am all in.
Speaker 2: Let's you. I Am all in with Scott Patterson, an iHeartRadio podcast.
Speaker 1: Hey everybody, Scott Patterson, I Am all In podcast Pop Culture, Season five, episode eighteen, to Live and let Diarrama. I'm joined by my intrepid crewe Queen Danielle Taras sued soon to be Queen Amy Sugarman, the overall Queen, and me just a popper. Uh here we go. Lorelai on the phone with Rory telling her mister Twickham died. LORELEI then apparently he just closed his eyes, muttered something about Lori Laughlin and that was that that happened to be my favorite one. Loria Laughlin is an American actress. From nineteen eighty eight to nineteen ninety five, she played and Becky on the ABC sitcom Full House.
Speaker 3: But at this time she was on Summerland.
Speaker 4: And so Summerland is why Summerland had three references to by name, and this being also a summerline reference, because again, forgive me, I believe he was watched. Mister Twickham was watching Summerland as he was on his deathbed.
Speaker 3: I guess, as they say.
Speaker 2: You know what's so weird though, is I just looked it up. Summerlin premiered in two thousand and four, but it was the it got canceled May fifteenth, two thousand and five, so this.
Speaker 4: They wouldn't know that yet because they taped this. So with Summerlin only on one season.
Speaker 2: They were two seasons, so they started two thousand and four ended two thousand and five.
Speaker 3: Oh must Layne.
Speaker 1: Laughlin has had her name dragged through the mud over this college, the bribery scandal and all that stuff. And I just want to say, you know, I'm met her at a Bristol farm in Hollywood. She came around the corner of the aisle and she stopped me and she said, Oh my god. And I'd never met her before, and she just said, oh, I have to stop you. She goes, I love your show. I love your work so much, so much. Oh it's so good. You just you own that character. And I just I'm just really want I'm so glad I ran into and met you and we kind of struck up a friendship.
Speaker 3: Yeah, she's really nice.
Speaker 1: I just thought, what a class act, you know what, because I do that to people Like in that Bristol farm, I met Gary Oldman and I did.
Speaker 3: She's really nice.
Speaker 1: She's really really nice. And I ended up doing a couple of episodes of that nine O two one oh show, which she was oh yeah, yah, yeah, yeah yeah.
Speaker 3: Who were you on that?
Speaker 1: I was Matt Lantern's father.
Speaker 3: That's right, that's I knew that.
Speaker 1: I knew that who was out of prison and he was all bent to get back into prison. He was always scamming. There's always a scam.
Speaker 3: That was actually a good show.
Speaker 4: So Lori Laughlin, she is really nice. Her family is really nice. And I'll tell this story. We were at a Dodger game and our friend Becca loved her, like loved Aunt Becky so much, and she was we were in like the where you get your food and she was in there and Becca was losing her mind and she couldn't have been nicer, Like she was.
Speaker 3: So friendly and so warm, so warm.
Speaker 5: So I say that we Scott, who has been like the biggest celebrity that has like approached you being like.
Speaker 3: I love Luke like a good question.
Speaker 5: It was like the top of the list for you that you kind of were like, Wow, that's cool.
Speaker 3: The biggest celebrity that's good that watches Gilmore Girls.
Speaker 1: Well, my wife was convinced that Britney Spears left a message answering machine in two thousand and two to meet me. No. Yeah, and I just didn't leave. And I listened to the message a couple of times and I didn't believe it, so I never called back.
Speaker 2: Well, you think it's a prank call.
Speaker 1: I thought it was, but I just I don't know. But something somebody that came up to me, Chad, Michael Murray, big One. No, I'm kidding. No, I mean a lot of people have come up to me and and said really nice things. Yeah, you know, they love the show. They love the characters, love what I did with the characters. Very very nice to hear. I was out at dinner over the weekend at that sushi place in Corpus Christi, Texas with Michael Rooker, who is a oh yeah, genius human being.
Speaker 4: I mean, just because I love him from Walking Dead.
Speaker 1: He's he's such a great guy.
Speaker 4: He's Darryl's brother on Walking Dead. He got zombie, you know, he got attacked, but he was.
Speaker 1: He's this character in the Guardians of the Game Alex say, this is what your do? Is that his name? I never watched The Blue blue Skinned.
Speaker 4: I love Chris Pratt, but I never watched it. Oh Easton knows Yon do.
Speaker 1: Do Yon do? And he was full of compliments as well, and I was just like, Wow, this is Michael Rooker saying this to me. And Rooker is like an actor's actor, you know what I mean. I mean he debuted in Henry Portrait of a Serial Killer in nineteen eighty six and I was in New York study and then doing theater and that hit like a bombshell and that really made his career and he was just casting everything. He's just great. So anyway, we digress, we do who's up?
Speaker 3: Go do this fun too?
Speaker 1: You want me to do this? Rory and Paris arguing because they're both so upset about you know what this is? You want to?
Speaker 3: Yeah, do this? Actually, I do know what it is.
Speaker 2: You do it?
Speaker 3: You do it though?
Speaker 1: All right? All right? So Rory uh and Paris are arguing because they're both so upset to Logan and Doyle aren't calling them. You know, maybe Logan and Doyle are together, Maybe they're doing okay Rory.
Speaker 3: First of all, maybe they're on a story.
Speaker 1: Why you know, that would have been a better storyline than anyway, having fun re enacting the Maxell Tape ad. The Maxell Tape Ad is an ad from the early eighties that epitomizes the significance of cassette tapes during that time. It's a visual depiction of loud music. The audio playing from the tape is so clean and powerful that it blows the listener away. The tilts of the lampshades, the hair and the tie flying back, and the hands tightly gripping the chair all convey the impact of the music. There's a young man with long, dark hair with sunglasses sitting there in that chair. Rory uses this reference because Paris is listening to the TV, so loud is not.
Speaker 2: Also, how she was sitting in the chair.
Speaker 1: Yes, and she was kind of slumped.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I can do this one, Laura l I, responding to the interviewer when asking about her upbringing. You know Superman's Fortress of Solitude, a Jamaican beach, compared to my mother's house. First of all, I'm a big Superman fan.
Speaker 1: The Christopher I just got it. I just got it. The biggest celebrity that ever approached me, Eve with kudos. No Fay done away, Oh fake done away? Goode Faye Dunaway was at a Warner Brothers party and she sought me out. She says, you know, I was like, what this is fake?
Speaker 4: Dunaway, Yeah, no major, But I would have preferred if it was Christopher Reeve because I.
Speaker 3: Love him so much.
Speaker 1: I never never, I never got to meet you.
Speaker 3: Wish you did. I love him.
Speaker 1: I did an. I had an elevator encounter with Michelle Pfeiffer first of all, but that was in the eighties. That was did Gilmore, so she couldn't have given me props on Luke in nineteen eighty seven.
Speaker 3: Correct, But let's bowl, Let's bowl, Let's rock and roll.
Speaker 1: Which is what I wanted to do to work out anyway. That's because I want to cool.
Speaker 3: From that movie. That's fine. Back to Superman.
Speaker 4: The Fortress of Solitude is home base for Superman. Is usually located in one of the poles, meaning the North or South, but I think it was the North, and serves as a place to store weapons and machinery from Krypton. It appears to be built entirely from either crystal or ice. Lorala uses this reference to exaggerate how cold her home was in her childhood, but let's go back to the Fortress of Solitude. So basically, if you remember in the first Superman, I don't even think it was Christopher Reeve yet. I think it was the actor that plays yeah, and he goes and what happens is he has that one icicle basically, and I think he gets and throws it, and then we see the Fortress of Solitude, and then I think the next scene is Christopher Reeve is Superman.
Speaker 3: And I'll check myself on this, but now I know what I'm doing tonight.
Speaker 1: All right. Let Laurel I saying she could credit her mother when it comes to how to run a staff. Laurli, well, I consider what my mother would do in a given situation. Then I dial it back and I have what Mussolini would do. Then I dial it back and I have what Stalin would do, and then I dial that back and then it starts approaching what a sane person would do. Benito Mussolini was an Italian dictator, I was going to say director, the dictator, and a journalist who founded and led the National Fascist Party. He ended up hanging upside down with his wife at a guess station, not living. Joseph Stalin was a Soviet politician, political theorist, and revolutionary who gained dictatorial power over the Soviet Union in the nineteen twenties. Laurela uses these two references to compare her mother's actions to dictators m brutal. Well, yeah, Rue told ruet tow she didn't. She even mentioned Paul Pott too. Yeah. Anyway, Yeah, just not complimentary.
Speaker 3: At all, Queen Danielle, would you want to go sure?
Speaker 5: Lorelai is still word vomiting to the interviewer Sandra about Emily, and laurel Lai says, I will tell you one story of my mother on family vacation. Jimmy Carter was there, and.
Speaker 3: He had a bigger room.
Speaker 5: Jimmy Carter was the President of the United States from nineteen seventy seven to nineteen eighty one. He is a member of the Democratic Party and served as the seventy sixth Governor of Georgia from nineteen seventy one to nineteen seventy five. And obviously the reference is nobody has a bigger room than Emily. So and also clearly through.
Speaker 3: It, God bless Jimmy Carter.
Speaker 6: He's like a hundred he's still in the yes, and the Rosalin and they've been married for like seventy years.
Speaker 3: Oh, I don't even want to say it. I love them. That's like the notebook. They're just gonna like be together. But anyway, on that sad note Hora.
Speaker 2: All right, So Paris that lorealizes when Rory gets there and says, as soon as she got on the road, she realized her parents don't have any more property in the US. Paris says, since the irs red Fox, my father a place in Asylum Hill, the Nantucket cottage, even the crack house in Harlem that we converted to a co op was sold to one of the Queer Eye guys. Queer Eyes an American reality television series that features a team of gay professionals in the fields of fashion, professional grooming, interior design, entertainment, and culture. The Fab Five would the Fab Five would perform a makeover or a make better, revamping, wardrobe, redecorating, and offering lifestyle.
Speaker 4: And this was the Carson Kresley Queer Eye, not the Jonathan Vaness.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Queer the first round. Yeah, oh wait, I think we missed one.
Speaker 4: Whoever's going so advancing there, going a little crazy there?
Speaker 1: Uh yeah, all right, Laura I telling Rory about her interview and how the interviewer loved her Emily's stories. Laura Lai I called her the female Paul Pot. Paul Pott, Yeah, Cambodian revolutionary dictator and politician who ruled Cambodia as Prime Minister of Democratic Campuccia. Okay, if that's the correct pronunciation between seventy six and seventy nine.
Speaker 3: I actually had never heard of him.
Speaker 1: Paul Pott.
Speaker 4: Sorry, oh geez, and I passed the ap history test and I'd still had never heard of him. Rory telling Laura Lai that Emily is going to read the article. Let her get all. Condaleza Rice to my Barbara Boxer if she wants. Condaliza Rice served as the United States Secretary of State from two thousand and five to two thousand and nine. Barbara Boxer, who appeared on Gilmour Girls, served as United States Senator from ninety three to twenty seventeen. California Democratic Senator Barbara Boxer criticized Rice in relation to the war in Iraq. During Rice's confirmation hearing for US Secretary of State in two thousand and five, Boxer stated, I personally believe This is my personal view that your loyalty to the mission you were given to sell the war overwhelmed your respect for the truth. Oh I'm not an expert enough to know anything about that historical reference, but.
Speaker 3: Barbara Boxer was on.
Speaker 1: Gilmore, Laura and Suki leaving the Star's Hollow Museum. Laurli, we have to bring everyone we know to this immediately before the Nderlanders swoop in and whisk it away to Broadway, Suki and at three bucks a pop, that crappy olt Abba show cost one hundred bucks. Suki is referring to Mama Mia. Mamam is based on the songs of Abba, a Swedish dance pop group active from nineteen seventy two to nineteen eighty two and one of the most popular international pop groups of all time, topping the charts again and again in Europe, North and South America and Australia. The musical opened on Broadway at the Winter Garden Theater on October eighteenth, two thousand and one, and.
Speaker 2: They have a huge resurgence on TikTok with all their own today. Yeah, in the pandemic, people were just crushing to Abba apparently.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, well that brings us to the end of another wonderful pop culture episode.
Speaker 3: It was good, but it was hint lacklustered. You get the.
Speaker 1: Feelings that Amy and Dan Palladino's apartment in New York City is the weirdest place you've ever been. Totally, I have not had the privileges to enter that layer.
Speaker 3: But it's kind of yeah, I bet it's kind of.
Speaker 1: I bet it's a little freaky.
Speaker 3: Well, now we're.
Speaker 4: Looking it up to see if they've ever been in like architectural diety.
Speaker 2: I would love to know if they've taken stuff from set of like Gilmark Girls or masl or if they have stuff from.
Speaker 1: But if they have every you know, board game and album and poster from all these pop culture references, you know they live in them.
Speaker 3: It's exactly how I pictured it.
Speaker 4: There's a couple of pictures, so I'm assuming this is from their house, and it's exactly how.
Speaker 3: I pictured it.
Speaker 1: What is that that's not inside her house?
Speaker 3: That's what I think it maybe is.
Speaker 1: That's her office at Warner Brothers.
Speaker 3: Oh well, that is that the office.
Speaker 1: The office was always decorated like a New Orleans boudoir.
Speaker 4: It's amazing because it has leopard rug and then there's a different pattern, a different pattern on the wall chandelier.
Speaker 1: And I'm like, every time I walked into her office at Warner Brothers to discuss something, you know, I wanted to order crawfish, you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: Totally cozy though, I like it.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, very very very eclectic, eccentric.
Speaker 3: Eclectic is a great word.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and indeed cozy, Yes.
Speaker 3: Yeah, cozy. I would be stoked if my office looked like that.
Speaker 1: Lots of lots of red pattern and patterned.
Speaker 3: Yeah, red velvet, leopard pattern.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: What is next?
Speaker 1: Next? Next is the next episode? We're going to do the next episode right next next week?
Speaker 3: What is it called?
Speaker 1: What they call it? Something like with Gilmour in the title, But I'm a Gilmour Oh yea yeah, yeah that's right, Sikes, episode nineteen. I think it's season five. Doesn't really matter anyway.
Speaker 3: We're excited and uh, enjoy your burgers tonight.
Speaker 1: Now we're gonna Oh we love that's.
Speaker 3: What you're having.
Speaker 1: Oh, my son just crushes the burgers them.
Speaker 3: Do you barbecue them? Barbecue outside like on the grill or do you how do you know? Oh? Inside?
Speaker 1: No, Yeah, we're inside. I have my own way in the pan as you should, Luke, and they are juicy.
Speaker 3: And you run a diner Yes I do.
Speaker 1: And I'm running the diner here too, let me tell you that much, all right, kids. Thanks, thanks Tarah, Thanks Amy, thank you Daniel. We will see you next time. Best fans on the planet. Thanks for download and keep those cards and letters coming, and remember we I am all in. Stay safe everyone, dot hey, everybody to forget. Follow us on Instagram at I Am all In podcast and email us at Gilmore at iHeartRadio dot com.