Speaker 1: Hi, this is Mia. So before we get to today's episode, last Friday, the rank and file of the Burgerville Workers Union, which is the country's first successful fast food union, went on strike against a campaign of disciplinings and firings of primarily trans and POC workers by the bosses who are once again trying to crush the union. The strike has worked so far, but they need support from the community to help pay workers and help these people feed their families so they can continue fighting the boss's capitalism and building democracy in the workplace. You can go to Bitley's Slash Burger Defense to do it. To their funds, we will have links to that description. And yeah, thank you all so much, and now on to the.
Speaker 2: Show, BA and welcome to it could happen. Sheer part of wool Zone Media. I am one of your hosts, DJ Daniel, and I am joined by three wonderful people, one of which is actually going to lead us to the prom I didn't press record on my own device, that.
Speaker 3: Amateur.
Speaker 2: I cannot believe that waybody press for cord. Should we all make a fine No no no no, no, no, no, no, no, no no, it's gonna I'm so fucking stupid. I'm we're gonna do it again if this is good. But you know what, I'm keeping all of this anyway. Yes, I am uh bah and welcome to it could happen? Sheer part of the wool Zone Media Network. I am one of your hosts, DJ Dani, but really I'm just going to be listening as someone else walks us through. I am joined by three wonderful co hosts, and I'm going to let them introduce themselves. How about we start with the person leading this conversation, James, How you doing?
Speaker 4: I'm wonderful, Dinna, I'm very excited.
Speaker 2: And who are we? Joined by? Cherene?
Speaker 4: Do you want to say hi?
Speaker 3: Do I want to say hi? This is what I sound like today, everybody.
Speaker 5: I apologize not part of the plan, but hopefully this.
Speaker 3: Is a fun episode to listen to me sound like this? This is Charin.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm here, Scharen is doing her plague cosplay right now, and we are joined by one other wonderful person. Would you like to introduce yourself?
Speaker 6: Hi?
Speaker 2: Ged Mia and Mia also here. Yay knows nothing about sheep. Very excited.
Speaker 3: I'm very excited.
Speaker 5: Even though I sound like this, I need to be here because I learned so much about chickens last time.
Speaker 2: Now it's sheep. Yeah, we're so proud that you fought through to pain. By the way, ba, sheer and wool is the full extent of my sheep knowledge. So you know we got it all out of the way right there.
Speaker 4: Great, all right, butyway, let's get going because I've got four pages of bullet points. Oh god, it could be a week of sheep content.
Speaker 2: Wonderful.
Speaker 4: All right. Yeah, so talking about sheep. The reason we're talking about sheep is a because it's it's passion of mine and b because someone on the sumberreddit who's I'm just going to get their username quickly. I can't say the catiff. Catiff. We had one of those. They posted sheep every day until until they guessed the breed of sheep that I had in my mind. And when they guessed that the sheep, I said I would do a sheep episode. That was two months ago. I think they did it while I was away in the desert.
Speaker 2: Before they got it. They got it quick too.
Speaker 4: They got to like day I just searched sheep on the subreddit. One of my friends like they were like, oh, I look at the subreddit for your work stuff the other day and it's just a lot of sheep, man, like, what do you do? Yeah, but yeah, they did very well. They eventually picked the sheep, which was a Scotch black face and famous for being Justin Trudeau's favorite sheep, and I got to get him in What You Can Strike. I think it's impossible to say that on a podcast and not not try, I think, but yeah, hopefully, hopefully we've sailed through that one. So when a we're talking about sheep, right, when you're thinking of getting sheep, the first thing I think you have to ask yourself is why. And that is a good question because obviously there are a lot of work and they are like born ready to die, and every point in the sheep owning process you can that we are all born ready to die. We're just here temporarily postponing the America because.
Speaker 2: They're covered in war and we die the war smart incredible. I'm many air horns and bombs right there. Yeah.
Speaker 4: I was going to say, don if you could give yourself like a big old symbol, but that would be great.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 4: So yeah, so when you're looking at sheep, right, it's a lot of work. But they're also very lovely and I enjoy sheep a lot. They can be very friendly. They're a nice animal. They're not like cattle. Sheep seem more personable to me. And you know, they're soft, which is nice. So when you think about getting sheep, you got to think, do I want these sheep for meat? Do I want these sheep for wool? Or do I want these sheep for milk? Those are the three main reasons. They are also a thing called park sheep. When we're talking about parks here, we're not talking about like that they live in central park. We're talking about like the it's a big field in front of a rich person's house. I think this is probably a specifically British thing and people, yeah, people are looking at me like it's a British thing. So big stately homes for rich people in rural England will have a big field in front of the home. It's a long driveway on it. That driveway is generally planted with big trees leading up to the house and it's like you've watched down to TV. Yeah, so if you can, yes, a country of state exactly, so like in that country estate, my dad by both my parents and agriculture. My dad works. Someone had a large country estate one point in my childhood, they would have sheep in that park. But like those she aren't really there to make money. They're there just to look fancy. So that's where you get some really crazy sheep. Yeah, yeah, yeah, parkspah if you if you want to go and have a look up Jacob's Jacob sheep, there's some there's some audience participation. So if you guys get opened up a tab and google a Jacob sheep classic like old Jacob j y whoa, yeah, oh god, it's it's called a polyserate sheep because it has multiple horns. I don't know the ones you're seeing have four horns, but that's a classic Jacob sheep. And they're piebald, right, so multiple colors.
Speaker 2: That's it.
Speaker 3: I didn't know horns can look like that.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, there are quite a few poly search sheet Hebridean sheep sometimes Nawajo turro she if you're in the United States like that too. So yeah, that it's an option for sheep.
Speaker 2: You know, just to paint a picture for anybody who's not also actively googling this right now, so you're driving in your car going for a dog and you can't can't google something. This is, honestly, this is the sheep image that I think was thought of when people think of like a devil sheep or like these have sheep like two long horns out the top and horns out the sides. I may just be playing a lot of Diablo for right now, but I immediately was like, ah, demon sheep.
Speaker 4: If you check out Hebridean sheep, they look like like a very death metal sheep there there, they're all black.
Speaker 2: Hebridean h E B R I D E A N sheep yep. Whoa oh yeah same thing. Oh yeah, the.
Speaker 3: Same time.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's what you want to strive for our life. That's what I go for every time I get dressed in the morning too. Yeah yeah, good. So you're looking at three different types of sheep right, basically your meat breeds, so they're going to grow quickly. They're going to be bigger, which is going to be something you have to take in consideration when you're handling the sheep, right, and they're going to have more lamps. You got your wall breeds, So they might be a smaller, they may need shearing twice a year though, so that's something you're either going to have to do or find someone to do and they'll give a more desirable wall, right. And there are different types of wool for different things, so that's something you might look into it, Like if you're considering spinning or you know you're getting these sheep primarily so you can go from like farm to jumper, then you need to look into that. And I don't actually know how you sell wool in the US and the UK. It was kind of a centralized sale. It's not it's not worth fuck all for the most part, at least unless you've got something like the Reno sheep. So like don't be getting wools sheep and thinking like, oh hell yeah, I'm going to make my fortune in the wall market.
Speaker 2: That ship.
Speaker 4: That ship has sailed centuries ago. So kind of the class sheep you're looking at for, Like, a lot of the sheep that you're going to see, at least in the UK are very often mules, So that's a cross breed of sheep. It's a blue face or border lester ram over a hill breed. You, So hill breed sheeps are sheep? Are there more hardy, right, they're the ones that live out on the Yorkshire Dales or up in the Lake district. Right when you see sheep up there, there's going to be hill breed sheep. One of the advantages of hill breeds is they can often be hefted. Are we familiar with hefting?
Speaker 2: No? Never, Okay.
Speaker 4: Hefting is when a sheep knows where its home is, so it doesn't have to necessarily be fenced in. It will come back there. So yeah, yeah, it's it's it's a animal that lives out on the hills, but like it knows where to come back to. It's not just going to be like sort of go mincing off to try and explore somewhere new, like it will come back. That is not a characteristic of all breeds of sheep. Like you will talk about fencing, definitely, most sheep need to be fenced in or they will to get out. Some of them are very acrobatic. But yeah, these guys, they can be hefted. H'll breed some hill bredes can be hefted so well. That means it's passed down the maternal line, so you're going to have to to retain that maternal line. Right, So as you're breeding your sheep, going to have to keep the U to the you lamb and you're going to have to keep that line because they will teach their lamps to where to come back to.
Speaker 2: Basically, right, that's.
Speaker 3: A really dumb question.
Speaker 4: Please.
Speaker 3: I recognize it's dumb, and I can google it later, but I need to know.
Speaker 2: Okay, I don't someone that doesn't eat a lot of meat.
Speaker 5: Okay, do we only eat lamb meat? Does anyone eat sheep meat?
Speaker 3: Sheep meat?
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's called mushian much. I have heard of mutton so much sheep? Yeah, have you heard that from? Have you heard the phrase mutton dressed a lamb?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 4: No, I think it's rather.
Speaker 1: Like a British one.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's definitely probably British, right. I think it's rather sexist. Is using condescending way for people who you think are dressing too young for their age. I guess so you might be familiar with that. I thought it might be a good but no, I thought I had a way to explain it to you. But no, Mutton, Yeah, mutton is the older sheep. So there are some breeds that you get for mutton. It's not very popular like Americans don't eat as much lamb as British people do, and I think New Zealanders eat a lot of it too, but it's not as common here, So it's relatively common in the UK. Like if you went to a zoopmarket, you'll see it mutton not so much you have to cook it for longer in search, yes they do.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah. Eat a lot of sheep too, interesting.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, yeah, there are lots of It's it's a very hardy like you can have sheep and a lot of places where you can't have cattle. They're much tougher animals like, and they don't need as much grazing, right, It's just not as much biomass on a sheep. So like that's why when you go to hillier parts of the UK, you're going to see sheep and not cattle, because that that's the place where sheep can live. They don't need is quality of grazing for the most part. So let me go through a few breeds of sheep, and I'm going to go for what to look for when you're buying a sheep, right, So just just some breeds that I've sort of gone off the top of my head. Here texels, and you guys can look these up as we go. I think that will add add to the entertainment factor for the listeners at home. So texels, they are big units and not as big some of other such we're going to talk about. They're thick, they're mostly like a meat sheep lean meat. Yeah, ugly. They're kind of wide face and kind of the big dominating eyebrows.
Speaker 1: Okay, they kind of look like someone stuck stuck like a sheep pat and a dog.
Speaker 4: Yes, yeah, yeah, yeah, they're actually nice sheep. They're not like we had textles growing up. There is mostly a meat sheep with a bit of wool. Your next one might be border Leicester, sometimes called a blue luster. They're very recognizable that like the blue speckling on their face and then a big Roman nose I suppose like a domed nose.
Speaker 2: They've got a big, big round one.
Speaker 4: Yeah, a big, big schnoot on them. So that's a very recognizable sheep. They again like a meat and wool sheep with slightly probably more desirable wool than texels. They're also very good mother So that's something you're looking at with sheep. Is it going to raise it's young, is it going to stick around look after them? A boarder lester's good for that, which is why they use in those mules that I spoke about. It's one of the reasons that you cross breathed them with a hill sheep to make them more hearty. Right, this one is a clean l l e y n because you probably wouldn't got that spelling organically. That that's a Welsh word and I'm probably mispronouncing it, but it's that's a's a meat sheep. It's also got desirable wool. It's also a good mother. They are big, they're like they're big units. My mum had those. And so when one of the things you're going to have to do when you have your sheep is you're going to have to clip their little feets. That's the ways they grow too long, just like just like you have to clip your own fingernails, right, otherwise you need to do that. So and there's a way to do it by sort of grabbing the front leg and sort of dropping your knee a little bit, like you're not just suplexing the sheep.
Speaker 2: It's a light suplex.
Speaker 1: When you originally talking about hefting, I assumed it was something to do with picking the sheep up for some reason.
Speaker 2: The newer term is r kao ing your sheep. Okay, yeah, so this lean sheep looks like to me, to me, the lean sheet, is it lean clean clean?
Speaker 4: M hmm, yeah, that double L sounding well, she's it comes at you hard.
Speaker 2: It's interesting clean. Well. Either way, this sheep to me looks like standard sheep. You're like run of the mill sheep. When I google sheep, this is what I think of.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's what once I was sending you pictures of yesterday. Sometimes I'll send pictures of sheep to the to the group chat, just for the increase the general well being.
Speaker 3: That's the only time I like the group chat.
Speaker 4: I'm kidding, it's true. Keep it up for you, just just for usuing. I will keep keep sheep content coming. You got the Jacob sheep, we'll be spoken about.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 4: So that's more of a park sheep. It's a rare breed. So if you're interested in like a rare breed, it's a good thing to do, right. If you're just a person who's like, yeah, it'd be cool to have some sheep, I have some pasture. Maybe you want them on a horse field because horses will mess up the grass on their own. Horses will will ship in an area and that will kind of sour the grass, and horses will then not eat that grass. Horses are not really you know, great ship where they eat. On the other hand, yeah, the horse, notice the sheep doesn't. So sometimes you have a few sheep with horses. They can be companions as well. They can be nice companions.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 4: That's where the phrase get you know, the phrase gets your goat. Something gets your goat? Oh yeah, yeah, that's where it comes from. Keeping a goat with a horse to keep it company?
Speaker 2: Nice?
Speaker 3: Is a sheep of goat?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 4: Different, different animals similar similar. I'm sure there's some kind of genus species thing. I don't understand there maybe a different species somewhere. Yeah, they're they're yeah, they're not a million miles apart. So you've got dorpers. I think that's a cross between of a Dorset and a Persian. They're raised for mutton, so that's if if you're looking for your mutton shoeing, that's where that's where you get that. They have multiple lambs a year. So some of these sheep will have can land more than once a year. Herdwick is a good hill breed. They're a very hardy and a lot of those up around my dad where my dad lives. Like I said, there are some rare breeds which if you're interested in like having rare breed sheep just to preserve like a type of sheep, because obviously, like the the more heritage breeds are not as commercially viable, so sometimes they get lost, right because they don't give you a better same return on investment. So if you're interested in having sheep just because it's cool and it looks funky, the rare Breed Survival Trust is a place to like look and I used to enjoy going there as a kid and seeing different sheep and learning about But.
Speaker 3: That's not a good reason to get a sheep.
Speaker 4: But if you if you decide you want to have sheep anyway, Right, let's say you're like, I don't know, whant a casts dispersion, So it's going to say a horsey person, a person who owns horses, you know, like if that is your thing and you enjoy yeah, a horse person, Yeah, like a centaur if you're a centauri. Yeah, if you are half horse, then you know you want to you want to have sheep maybe to check to improve your pasture or to not let the horses syre up or the gross Then why not?
Speaker 5: Right? Like?
Speaker 2: Why not?
Speaker 4: Because like if you get a if you get a meat sheep, it's gonna be bigger, it's gonna be more work. If you get a very sheet that a lot of wool, you're gonna have to share that a lot. So maybe you just want a sheep that can kind of cruise and be by yourself, then you know, why not? Yeah, So we're going to talk very leafily about what to do when you buy a sheep, and then we're going to pivot to some other things that you can buy which are not as rewarding as sheep. Yeah, which is which is? That's an ad break that will do after that, Danel, thanks understood?
Speaker 2: Okay, I miss I missed that part. Afterwards I was like, wait, no, James, don't move on quite yet. I understand. Now, very well.
Speaker 4: Done, thank you, Daniel. So when you're buying sheep, I think probably what you want to do is buy some yews that have already been bred, or a couple of yews with twins that they're a flock animal, right, like sheep. They don't want to be on their own, So you don't just go and buy like one sheep and be like, yeah, I've got a sheep. Now, like that's not very nice. That's not that they'll be insecure and anxious, so they like to be with other sheep. So I think the way we used to do it when I was a kid was to get orphan lambs and so like that the mother either rejects the lamb or she dies giving birth right, well, which can happen. And we used to them bottle feed those lambs and like you know, when they're very little, if you go out on the hill. Do people have argus in America? Sorry you're looking at no? Okay, Like it's a type of oven that like it's always on it's a range cooker. Oh no people people? Okay, yeah, I can remember, like where I.
Speaker 3: Don't know what sheep are? You love me to know whatever the fuck you're talking about.
Speaker 4: No, it's good. It's so much learning. It's it's type of oven that like it's in old houses and also rich people's houses. Now it's become like a trendy thing. But like way back in the day, I remember like putting lambs in the bottom oven, which is like warm, but like not cooking warm, just like like warm warm when they were very little and they needed to warm up. So with often lambs, right, you're going to bottle feed them. You're going to do the stuff that their mother does for them. So that's a lot of work, but you know it's a way to get going. But they are more fragile when they're young. So what it was suggest is buying a couple of yews that have been bred. And then you just want to either like if you go locally to somewhere, then you'll you'll know that this is a type of sheep that can survive and the type of pasture that's near you. This is the type of sheep that can survive in the climate that you have with the food sort of available where you are, so it's probably a good thing. And then you just want to check that the sheep has some weight on it, right, and you want to check its teeth of course, like any livestock, you want to be.
Speaker 2: Checking their teeth when you're buying them.
Speaker 4: And then a thing I've run into.
Speaker 2: What do you sorry, what are you looking for on the teeth.
Speaker 4: If they're all fucked up like that cheap is not healthy, right, like like receding gums or like kind of if it's much older, that's you can tell. You can normally age an animal by looking at its teeth, right, like if you find a if you find the remains of an animal, to one way to see the age of it. So yeah, you go to the auction, right, and you don't want to check the vaccine status as well. I've only really come across this in the United States recently. Some people were rage posting on the place I go to to buy chickens because it didn't want to buy vaccinated chickens, which is just yea, yeah, because Bill Gates wants to know what your chicken is thinking, right, which is why he micro chips. Yeah, absolutely pricks. Yeah, if you don't want to buy vaccine, I don't know if you're listening to the show that this is not a concern of ours, I don't think, But yeah, check the vaccine status just in case you got someone who try to sell you some sheep which are more likely to get sick. So yeah, would would if you I can't fucking come up with an I don't know, if you want to buy something that's no use to you and won't give you joy instead of sheep. Here are some adverts. Okay, so we're back and we're still talking about sheep, and we probably will be for quite some time from page one. So sheep are actually they're quite clever. Sheep can recognize human faces. They'll know who you are. I've definitely definitely known that, Like especially the sheep that we bottle fed from when they were babies, right, they definitely knew who we were and.
Speaker 2: They could be very friendly. Yeah, it's nice. It's nice. They'll come up to you and they'll sort of nuzzle you and you can rub them.
Speaker 4: Our sheep were polled. That's another thing to think about when you're getting the sheep, right, the pole sheep that doesn't have horns where it's some people have horns, some people have more horns. So, yeah, they can recognize your faces. They can learn names, so they have a name, they can learn their name. They also knows that they're sheep, so like I know, my mum would just go out and go like sheep and then she'd feed them and they'd come. So you're thinking, you know, they've got a positive reinforcement mechanism. You can train sheep to go on a lead. So another reason you might want to get sheep is you're getting into into showing right, A nice thing to do if you if you you know a strange like me, I suppose it's go to like an agricultural show and look at different types of sheep.
Speaker 2: I like to do that.
Speaker 4: They can be really expensive now because it's also the County Fair and so people are going in to eat like deep fried stuff, which doesn't interest me as much. But if you want to go and see it, yeah, yeah, we could go together down I'll get a super sailor.
Speaker 2: Up and then back at the end be like how is your day?
Speaker 4: You won't be saddled with regret if you look at sheep and indigesture. So yeah, consider yeah, but it's nice to go right. You see the breeds are popular in your area, see different types of sheep and what people will do. At least I've never been to it, like an actual sort of showing sheep. I'll just go to the to the San Diego County Fair and look at the animals. But I've not been to a show where you walk around with them in the US. But I used to do that when I was a kid. I think of, you know, go to the village show or whatever and take the sheep and walk it around and then they'll judge your sheep right, if it's up to the breed standards or what have you. So, yeah, they can go on a lead they like more of like a halter, look around the nose, so not not like a collar. So that's the thing that you can do that's that interest you. If you want to get into sheep showing. If that's the case, you're going to want to get like a pedigree sheep right and really get it to it. You're going to drop some money. It's not really like I was never a very serious sheep show to be clear. It's just a thing for your child to do. When you go up in a rural area. They like I said, they like to be toge. They're in groups. They're pretty docile. Like sheep aren't going to fight. You're definitely definitely Like when I was at University of stuff, friends would come home and they'd be very scared of the sheep. There's no reason to be scared of sheep. I don't think I've ever heard of anyone being hurt by a sheep. Yeah, I mean what, they're going to come at you a bit, sometimes they're angry or whatever, but like it's a sheep, Like it's fine, Like I would back you serene if it came to it. Yeah, Like yes, and their horns are mostly like not pointed towards you. I have been gored by a bolt, right, like I've experienced like livestock related injury.
Speaker 2: Sheep is definitely on the list of animals I'm pretty sure I could take. Yeah, pretty sure.
Speaker 3: This next fact is fascinating to me. Can we get to this fact?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Sure, so definitely. If you're thinking breeding and getting rams, about like eight percent are going to be gay.
Speaker 2: It's just a thing that's going to happen, right, getty sheep.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, you wait till we get to the next one. Bere is it just the thing, right, You're going to get a sheep that's gay. It's it's a natural part of the diversity of any species. Kind of definitely know people who just spent a lot of money on pedigree rams and they've turned out to be gay. It's what it is, right, Like that gets me about this weird, stupid American. It's not just an American thing. But it's like, oh, it's not natural whatever. Like I don't know anyone who's worked with livestock in their life, well for for a number of years, will tell you that they've come across a gay sheep or cow or what have you.
Speaker 2: Some you're also going to get.
Speaker 4: Sometimes some sheep are called free Martins. It's a trans mask sheep for the most part. It actually has some biological differences. So like, yeah, what it is is a female that's been accompanied so like the twins or triplets or quads sometimes that has been a companied by male features in you to so they behave in a masculine way, and they might lack functioning ovaries. Yeah, you're going to get those two right there, So they're going to be a bit more agro, like a ram about you and stuff. But it's just to think it's part of natural diversity in species. You're going to see it. You know, you might have a gay sheep, lucky you, right, you know, chair as shit, take it, you know, it'd.
Speaker 2: Be nice to it.
Speaker 4: So white fleeces, right, generally we think of sheep, but Dana was saying you don't think of a white fleece. That's that wild sheep are often brown, right, it's being white. It's not a great camouflage trait. So when we see a when we see a white sheep, that's because it's generally been selected.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 4: So when you look at the Jacob sheep, they were piebald, right, they had bits of brown on them on the white fleece. Being white have a pispe dominant trait, so it's for very quickly. And then if you if you're looking at the wall of a sheep, you want to consider you want fine medium, of course, wool long wool sheep. Right, if you look up sheep with long walls, some amazing reads out there. Those are mostly for breeding to get more desirable wall characteristics. Like long wall sheep, it's going to be quite hard to look after that sheep. Right, Stop, it's wall getting matt in stuff. So now we're going to get it to fencing. It's an important topic. So you want your fencing to be about chest high. Obviously it depends on your height, like if you're a smaller person a bit higher or whatever. But like we were generally use post and rail fencing. You don't see that as much in the US, but the name is pretty self explanatory, right, Bang in a post rail across the middle. Bang in a post rail across the middle. And then you're gonna want some netting you don't have to use Like with chickens, we talked about using construction netting, right, like very thin wire just so that like things like snakes and rats don't get in with cheap you don't need that. The You can go with a wider mesh four or five inches across, and that's going to be cheaper for you.
Speaker 2: As you're building the fence.
Speaker 4: You can also use electric fences, and you can use those to rotate the pasture, which is a good idea, so that she kind of graze one area, then you move them across to another area. That area recovers, You move the sheep to the next area, they graze that area where the other areas recover. Okay, you learn about thisy surely right? Yeah, yeah, surely.
Speaker 2: I'm curious. How does the electric fencing do that? Are you constantly moving it? And is that just like when the sheep touch it, they're like, oh, not that way and go back like.
Speaker 4: Oh, Okay, well they're not thick. They'll touch it once and then they won't go here maybe twice and oh yeah, no, I'll be precisely. But so how is it doing that. It's so that the electric fences are like plastic posts that you stick in the ground and then it has a metal spike on the end, and then it's got this it's about that wide, about inch wide. It's it's a ribbon with little metal pits in it, and you the post has a way of securing that ribbon to it, so you can move that fencing around.
Speaker 2: Okay, cool. So the reason I mean it being electrified is kind of like secondary. It's mostly that it's a moveable fence post. That's why you ye grazing purposes.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it doesn't have the same the same structure as a normal so it has gaps which a sheet probably could slip through if it was just wire. Because it's electric, it's not going to try and nuzzle its way through because it's going to get shot. So if you're using electric fence, just like you know, the classic way to tell of it's on right, it is you pick up a piece of grass and then you just touch the fence with the grass because the grass is a poor conductor. You're going to feel a little bit of.
Speaker 2: A shocking right now.
Speaker 4: No, no, that's what you do. Like, yeah, no, you touch it with a piece of grass, and that's gonna you're going to get like a slight like tingle, but you're not going to get a full whack.
Speaker 2: Like growing up.
Speaker 4: The electric fences all over the place, right, I've run into them when I was a kid and taken a whack or like the you know, the post have a big spike on the end, So that's very fun to throw at your friends if you know, lasting injury. But yeah, electric fencing gives handy. You just took it up to a car battery basically, so you like, yeah, no, it's it's a good way to segment your field if you have one field, you know, if you're not rotating the cheap Did you really not learn about field rotation? Sorry, I'm constantly amazed by the things that I didn't school that Americans don't do at all.
Speaker 2: Agriculture in any capacity. Yeah, there was no agriculture training. I mean at least way far I saw.
Speaker 3: It was unlike the tub of butter.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like that's literally what the most. I think. I think I grew up closer than YouTube.
Speaker 1: It was I had a corn fib my backyard, and they were Okay, we didn't have agricultural education yet like my school, but like there were schools so like I went to to do like play chess classical I was, I was a nerd, but like there were lots of schools that like did stuff like that because they were like war real approach of Illinois. So that is a thing here. I think it's just didn't go up in the agricultural.
Speaker 4: I think I learned it in the context of the enclosure of the commons in the fore field rotation and like using lagoons to fix antrogen.
Speaker 2: In the soil and again blank college.
Speaker 4: Okay, okay, well yeah, different strokes for different folks. You know me on Twitter dot com. If you learned about lagooms in school, so to be.
Speaker 2: Cool, would have preferred to learn about that, just to be clear, like algebra two, forget it. I would much rather learn about.
Speaker 4: Lagoons whenever you use algebra, not don someone else is using it, but you know you, yeah, thank of what you could be doing with nitrogen right now if you if you were growing some peas what if incredible things. And so with your sheep, depending on the breed, you're going to need shelter, right, So that shelter could be something like a cops a little cops of trees that's a small it's big, smaller than a wood.
Speaker 2: It is a copse.
Speaker 4: So you're going to need a decent amount of trees for shelter. Some will need more shelter than others, right, depending on how hardy they are. Some of them will want to lamb inside and some of them are able to lamb outside. But they all will need some shelter and foul weather. Right, and you'll see that they're very good at like knowing where to shelter. But then you've got to you can't leave them out, Like when I'm in agricultural states in America where these giant prairies, you know that you don't have hedgerows in the same way that we did where I grew up. Then you if you are there and you're trying to have some pep, you're going to need to build a shelter for them.
Speaker 2: And the question about the shelter, yeah, yeah, is it? What's what's the shape of the shelter. Is it kind of like is it like a house? Is it more like barn.
Speaker 4: Like it's depending on the breed. No, not like barn like, you have a barn to bring them in. Like so we used to lamb inside, right, and then you just use palette to divide it up, and the palettes you put each of you in there with her lamb.
Speaker 2: And we'll get onto that. Cops are barnes. Joke is not going to happen. Okay, sorry, Daniel, that's okay, I'll let you down again. That's okay, it's not on you.
Speaker 4: But yeah, you'll see all kinds of things. You'll see thanks, You'll see it like people just put a little stone shelters. You know, if you have a if you have a prevailing wind that like rips through and it's cold wind, then you know you might want to build something just to shelter them from that prevailing wind. But they just you know, if it's like a big undifferentiated prairie, and especially lambs, right, they're more fragile, they're younger, and sometimes you'll see the lambs wearing little coats and little little jackets that they can wear. Yeah, you can google that just like you google lambs orange jacket and you can get these little little plastic jackets for them. But you do need to be cautious with lambs when they're young sometimes, like I say, you'll have the midside. Thing with sheep regarding feeding is that they are ruminants.
Speaker 2: Do we know what ruminant animals are? No?
Speaker 7: No?
Speaker 4: Yes, absolute, massively failed by your educations.
Speaker 2: And it's a ruminant.
Speaker 4: It chooses the cud. So when it eats the food, right, it goes to the roomen and then it holds the food. The food's regurgitating.
Speaker 6: What the cow it has like multiple stomachs, yes, yeah, yeah, like the first stomach yeah, So the rooman's a big stomach, right, and it's in there that it's like a storage space really.
Speaker 4: So the food goes in their chills for a bit and then it's regurgitated, chewed back up and then re swallowed.
Speaker 2: And that is the cud. That process is called chewing the cud. Yeah, chewing the cud. That is the right. So is that entire process chewing the cud like it going into the ruminant and then being regurgitated or is it strictly just the chewing that happened before they eat it again.
Speaker 4: It's a chewing that happens when they eat it again. Right, So like the first eating, it's just eating. The second eating she reads having a physical reaction.
Speaker 7: It is.
Speaker 2: It's extremely narly.
Speaker 4: That's how they get the most out of like this relatively lean past right, They're very clever adaption. Yeah, so yeah, that's how That's how sheep eat. So that means that they need to have access to pasture. They also need lots of water. So again, if you're in like a desert place, I should ask Navaho folks. I know Navaho folks, I should ask them how they do with their tura sheep because it's not a densely watered place there. But generally that they need access to water. I'm sure they have places where they have good access to water. And then, like I said, you do want to rotate them around, right, You can feed them, you can supplement with like hay or halage or silage stuff like that, but you shouldn't really like you can't keep your feet sheep in a place where there's no pasture. Really, you don't want to be feeding them all yet, they need varied pasture right with different things, you know, clovers and grasses and the stuff that's poisonous for them, so that there are different weeds sort of poisonous for them. You're just going to want to It depends where you live, right, you're listening to this in the UK. It's different to North America, probably different to South America. So you want to check that out again. When you're buying a sheet, you can ask these kind of questions and go ahead and pull those out so so you can you can feed them grain. But you really only want to do that sort of durin or just before lambing. It can lead to overfeeding. It's too rich for them, right, Like they're designed with this ruminant system to you know, have these green leafy things. People can use bagged feeds too, you know, again, you don't want to rely on those whole time. They're expensive. Don't use cow food like bagged cattle food. It's not going to work for sheep. And they need like a mineral lick too, So you're like, I'm sure you're all familiar with salt licks. Yeah, that's yeah, that's it's a similar thing, right, they'll just come up and lick that. They know when they need the salt or the minerals, so do they just they know so they'll just come come and lick it. So you just put that out in the field. It's pretty chill, don't let so. A big problem we had was like we had some cheat in the field next to our house and they were our sheep. There was someone else's sheep, but like for ever getting into the garden, mainly because I'm terrible at closing gates and doors, and so they would get into the garden. You do want to be careful. They will go ham like it is the time of their lives. When they get in your garden. They can eat all your plants. But you do want to watch out for things like rhododendron which can be dangerous to them and they can be poisonous. So if you've got stuff in your garden, either don't have stuff as poisons to sheep or or be aware, you know, if they're getting in there, head to the rhododendrons and head them off at the past sharene would you would you like to insert your.
Speaker 5: Well, you're just the shepherd and we are the herd following you.
Speaker 2: And so.
Speaker 3: To everyone that wants to be a sheep, listen to these.
Speaker 4: Ads, We're back my sheep and Unparalleled. Yeah, we need Dan a little more podcasts.
Speaker 2: It's kind of energy is magical.
Speaker 4: So yeah, sharing right, Sharing sheep a very important part of having sheep. So this can be hard to mask. If you're trying to get the wool off in like a full fleece, which is ideally how you want to do it, right, you don't, You're not just like it's not like when you go to the barbers, you know, and they just go at you and his hair on the floor. You're looking to take it off as a complete fleece, and there's a technique to that's you're just not going to fucking get it straight away, like you're going to have to learn or you're going to have to pay someone to do it. I don't really know how that works in America again, because like there's not such a density of sheep, so maybe that's not someone who does it, And lots of this stuff are getting your US ultra sounded when they're pregnant. I'm not sure how you go about that in an affordable manner in the United States, Like if you have a large animal vet, you can ask them, but you do want to do that right to check that how many lambs you've got and stuff. But yeah, so if I guess you're just going to have to learn or give it a try. Like as long as you're not hurting the sheep, if you're taking it off in clumps, suppose it's not that bad. Just you know, if you don't want to be nipping and hurting the sheep itself when you're shearing, right, And that's just like if you if you're a person who shaves or you know, cuts her own hair or what have you know it's not pleasant if you nick the skin.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so sheep need to get rid of the hair. Yes, then if we didn't exist, how would they do that?
Speaker 4: Well, we wouldn't have bred them selectively to have such dents and long fleeces if we didn't exist. So there are hair sheep which which have hair instead of wool, and those sheep.
Speaker 2: Don't need to don't need to be shorn.
Speaker 4: But because for centuries we've bred them to be woolier because we like the wool, then now we have we've made our bed and we have to line it right, Like the sheep depends on us and we depend on the sheep. It's like it's like the Yin and yang and you know of sheep husband.
Speaker 2: That we created without their permission.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, yes, yeah the sheep sheep that has been forced upon the Yeah yeah, maybe that's it's not a not a consensual relationship. So yeah, that what happens here. And if you don't share them, and some some you'll need to do twice a year, some once a year, some you worn't at all. If the hairshet right, but they'll get like matted walls, so like the like the who and other things will like like just if you like, if you don't wash your hair for a long time, you know, it gets kind of knotted and matted.
Speaker 2: Got it? Got it? Yeah? Yeah so that and also they can get over heat, say no more to go further. Yeah that makes sense though, that makes sense. Yeah.
Speaker 4: I don't know how you sell well in the USA. Uh, you know, just get on Etsy and do something with it if you want to sell. I suppose you know, learn to learn to spin, get a spinning wheel, you learn to car card the wool and then spin it and then knit it and then sell it. I suppose it will keep things for yourself. It'd be fun, you know if you have free time.
Speaker 2: What is carding?
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's when you're like like taking the wool and like like combing it.
Speaker 2: Uh huh, pulling it.
Speaker 4: I'm not super mamny with stuff. I remember again.
Speaker 2: See, it's just a different world, isn't it.
Speaker 4: See we would go to like the Black Country Museum when I was a kid in school.
Speaker 2: Not a racial thing.
Speaker 4: It's just a uh it's it's a part of it's part of Britain where there was a lot of industry. And one of the things I would do was like, oh, this is how people used to do wool, you know, like the spinning Jenny and like before that, like in cottage industry when people would make it at home. Okay, Well, like when you go to the Rabberry Survival Trust and I think, I bet they'll let you do some spinning or carding when you're going there.
Speaker 2: I got a quick explanation for you. Got a quick explanation for you. So if for those folks at home who have hairy animals, you know those kind of like brushes that have fine little metal bristles on them, and you're brushing, you just take off like a huge clump of hair. Now you take a imagine you take a fresh piece of wall straight off of the sheep and you put it on there, and then you just kind of tease it out to form it into what looks more like like raw wool that you're used to, as opposed to looking like it was just taking off a sheep. You're turning into the raw wall that will then be spun. I'm looking at it right now, and it looks absolutely exhausting. Yes. Fun sorry, yes, fun.
Speaker 4: Yeah, fun, good thing to do, you know, like get Once Twitter inevitably collapses, we can return with a v to tradition and do this sort of stuff instead. You know, yeah, I'm sure texting everybody videos may return to tradition. People already do it. It's nice for your hand. It's very nice for your hands just generally handling because they have lanolin, right, lannelin this kind of natural I think it's like a soap thing like it makes lathering, but it's very good for softening your skin. So you'll see you'll notice it's nice for your hands when you're handling the sheep, right, You'll notice that's nice hand feeling. It's not expensive like hand cream. You're going to have to make sure that you train your sheep's hooves. So depending on your size and the sheep size and yeah, and your sort of skill handling sheep, you might want to get a sheep flipper. We got one from my mum a couple.
Speaker 2: Of years ago.
Speaker 4: It's just a device that helps you turn the sheep so that you can clip its hooves instead of just getting in there with the knee. And there's a way to do it, and a lot of this stuff you can learn on YouTube, like I've I checked before this, and there's definitely videos on how to turn them over and clip the hoofs. So yeah, you can give it a try. That doesn't work, you can get a sheep flipper. You you sort of yeah, you sort to drop your knee into it and turn it over.
Speaker 1: I'm so happy that there is an advice that exists called the sheep flipper. Like this has made my day measurably better.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, I'll send you some videos. There's some good videos of me trying to turn my mum's sheep like so we can click their hooves and it was like wet and slippery and me just fetching myself on my ass into dead and the sheep just like making a bit for freedom. So yeah, you watch a couple of videos, you can work it out and if it doesn't work for you can get a seat sheep flipper. You're going to have to do things like dipping and deworming your sheep too. It's your the wormer you just put in their mouth. It's like a It goes in the mouth and you squeeze.
Speaker 2: It looks a bit like a gun, I suppose, or.
Speaker 4: Like a it's like a little tiny pipe, like maybe a quarter of an inch size. You're pinky and it goes in and you suppress the thing and it dispenses a dose. It kind of just gets it behind their tongues, so don't spit it out.
Speaker 2: Dispensed. It's a bit of wormer. Gun was the up perfect word to use for my americanized brain. I'm totally yeah.
Speaker 4: I thought, yeah, yeah, I was going to you know, thinking gun, hot dog, bulld egle or what reference would you understand? So you know you're gonna also have to dip your sheep to prevent things like scab and so that's just literally when the sheep dipped in this stuff, that sort of cleans them. Right, So there are mobile sheep dips, so you can just go to a sheep dip, take your sheep to a sheep They can do it there. Again, I'm not I've never seen one in the US. I'm sure there are some, but I'm not sure how you do that. Think you can also spray them for this, and you'll want to check. Obviously, all kind of dips a legal legal, and you don't want to be dipping them with cuts, so like if you have just been through your shearing and you've cut them up, that's not a good time to do it. And you don't want to dip thirsty sheep either for obvious reasons. Right, what they're going into is not certainly want to be drinking. So predation predations an interesting topic. Sheep are not really great at defending themselves, and they just kind of big flufs. They can sort of butt a little bit with their heads and then they do do that, and they'll defend their their their little lambs. And when we were little and we had dogs, if the dog, when it was a puppy, would chase sheep, you could put the dog in a little pen with a you and her lambs and then you would be like heay, get away, get away, get away, leave my lambs alone, and that then the dog would would be less likely to chase sheep again because it's had this. Probably not great to get a dog a traumatic experience and the U I suppose, but they'll defend their their lambs like that. But you know, when you've got especially if you're in North America, right, you've got like mountain lions, you've got coyotes, you've got bobcats, all kinds of bigger stuff than I'm used to. So a couple of options there. You've got guardian animals, right, so something like a lama, a donkey, or like a livestock guardian dog. Me is enjoying the idea of a guardian donkey. But the couple of different benefits to each one of lama. Lama can be pretty mean, and I'm sure you guys have seen them, Like I've been spat on by a few lama. They'll they'll kick, yeah, then they're bitey, and it's just really sort of obnoxious creatures. But that yeah, that they don't mess about, So those are decent. You know, it looks like one of the sheep is just wildly deformed. If it's running around with the sheep. You can get donkey. Donkeys also quite defensive and very loud, so you know, if your sheep are in a field near your house and you have a donkey, it's going to kick off at night, something happens making its characteristic donkey noises, and that will give you chance to respond and then you've got your livestock. Guardian breeds right like like Pyrenees is a great example. People will probably have seen my pictures of the stations Udicorn Rutch. They have Pyrenees dogs very helpful as you when you're being attacked by bigots because the dogs dogs will bark, but guardian dogs are like inherently they want to guide your sheep. So they'll just go out there and they'll move among the flock and they'll bark and run off any attackers and they're very again, it's entirely in their breeding to do it. It's very funny actually, because chuds have this like I'm a sheep dog thing, you know when when they walk around with like five knives and two guns and pepper spray, and then they always have a picture of border collie that is not what the border collie dogs a border collie is like a dog with extreme anxiety that is obsessed with collective security. And we'll just like border collie's naturally heard things, right, So I'm sure like you've seen people seen like One Man his dog the TV program again, it used to be on a Sunday nights when I was little. It's it's a competition as a sheep herding with dogs competition, they're rules. Yeah, oh yeah, perhaps.
Speaker 2: One of them.
Speaker 4: I've met American people who do this competitively, but I think it's more of a hobby than a way of life. But yeah, so if you you can google one Man this dog and watch different competitions. Obviously it's not gendered and it can be a person and their dog. But yeah, that's what border colligues do, right, They heard the sheep. And when they're little, like you can start them out with herding chickens or ducks in your in your like if you have a farm yard, they'll they'll go out there and hurd ducks just by themselves. They want to do it just in their breeding. But a guardian dog does not do that. It just protects. But I think this is one of the things that we spoke about with with chickens, right, Like, if you want to have sheep, you're probably going to have to either, Like well, if you're not willing to defend them for predators, you probably shouldn't have them because it's a bit mean to just put them out there. It's like coyote bait, a lion bait or whatever, Like you might have to shoot something that looks like a dog if you don't want your sheep to die, and like it's just how it's going to go down, you know, Like it's not everyone has to have livestock. I'm not a person who eats animals, so like it's.
Speaker 3: I mean, I think, similar to chickens, most people shouldn't have chickens or sheep, you know what I mean. The vast majority of.
Speaker 5: People, in my opinion, are better off not doing that, just because, like I don't think people realize the responsibility. Even with all this information. I think some people get too they jump the gun for lack of a better.
Speaker 4: Fucking term, yeah, I mean, yeah, yeah, totally, Like don't be rushing into getting livestock. Like it's very like I've seen people do it before. I've seen people do the whole like, you know, I'll quit my job as a banker and come and live on a farm thing, and like they just don't go and work on someone's fun. Right, if you want to do that, you learn if you didn't grow up in this, Like there are a million things that I'm not telling you, and I'm forgetting to tell you that I take for granted. And like it just it takes time, and it's complicated and and sometimes it's very sad, right, Like I said, she gets sick and they die and that's sad, and they get predated, and that's very sad. Lambs get predated. It's really sad. So like, I don't know, it's not for everyone. It's certainly having a flock of sheep is quite big. And you can't you know, can't be like, oh right, I'm off to right.
Speaker 5: I don't think a lot of people have the land even necessary for that, So I don't know.
Speaker 4: Yeah, anyway, a few.
Speaker 3: I'm so passionate about this that I actually.
Speaker 5: Have to go now, Okay, I believe it. Yes, Okay, I have to record something else with that voice, So.
Speaker 3: Until next time.
Speaker 4: Yeah, keep on parking by Okay, We're going to briefly cover lambing and then we're we can be done. So, like I said, you can pick up orphan lambs a good way to add to your flock. The thing with little baby lambs is when when they're firstborn, right, if the mother is either won't feed them, sometimes she won't feed them, or she dies, they're going to need what's called colostrum. Familiar with colostrum that.
Speaker 2: It sounds more familiar. I feel like it was.
Speaker 4: Briefly it was like an athletic performance supplement tread, but like it's it's the milk that comes in the first twenty four hours sexual rich we'll need yeah, or from whatever animal right, and any mammal.
Speaker 2: I would imagine milk produced by the memory glands of humans and other mammals immediately following delivery of the new born. Yeah, yeah, that's so better summary than I made Thank you down.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Always, So they're gonna need about five hundred mills on the first day. I think it's about a pint. It's you want it to be warm, so you can buy frozen cloussum. You can buy powdered classroom, but you don't want to microwave it. The clossroom has some antibodies in it. Which help the little sheeps like stumbach i suppose get ready for the world, so it's why you don't want to microwave it. So generally they're pretty easy to bottle feed. Like if you stick your finger in, the lamb will just like start sucking on that. It's a good sign that it's you know, it's ready to bottle feed, and it's easy to bottle feed, so that you can sometimes do that's kind of a way to lure them in and then start bottle feeding them. Sometimes you have to sort of rub them a bit to get them to feed, and then they like to have their milk powder of the if you're doing powdered milk, right, if with these awful lambs, but every four hours, and you're just going to gradually increase the amount you feed them, and you know they'll need things like a heat lamp right to keep them warm because they don't have that big heat sink of their mum embedding and water. And you know, a bit later you can it's a bit easier, right, you can get a bucket with teats, so you just you're literally screwing the teats that go on a milk bottle onto the bucket instead, so they can drink of that. But it's a lot of work getting awful lambs. Like they'll want to eat about every four hours. It doesn't matter if you're sleeping, they still want to eat. So like I can remember doing that a lot when it's little, and you can get like once the lamb gets a bit older, you're going to want to do things like you might want to castrate it, depending, you might want to dock its tail, depending, you might want to vaccinate it or you do want to vaccinate it. But also like they need time to be social with other sheeps, so like you can't just get one awful lamb and raise it like some kind of sheep person that they need to play with other sheep. They need to time to run around. They can be quite fun that they'll follow you around often, but the law and sheep that you get sort of run around and they'll follow you around, so that's kind of fun. And then you do eventually, like if you especially if you're raising a lot of orphan lambs, you're going to have ram lambs, right, and so you're either going to have to castrate those or sell them because you're going to create an issue of inbreeding within your flock. Otherwise if you just keep all the lambs right, And so that's the thing to think about. If you're going to have sheep, at some point you're either going to need to buy more or breed them. And if you're going to breed them, what are you going to do with the ram lambs? So you can castrate them, they become weathers and that's generally where meat comes from that people eat. You don't want to participate in that. You're just going to pass it on someone else's right, you know, think the Unfortunately, this is commercial agriculture, even if you don't eat meat, like it's about killing animals, which is why I.
Speaker 2: Don't like to do that.
Speaker 4: Yes, so with lambs, when you've got pregnant use you'll want to scan them, see how many lambs there are, and that helps you make feeding decisions for the pregnant you. That's sort of when you can look at like how many lambs are coming right, how much does she need to eat? And then once you've done this, you want to get your barn ready for lambing.
Speaker 2: Just put.
Speaker 4: We used to use pallets, you know, palettes things come on when you buy like a lot of sheep food for instance. You know it comes on a palette with a forklift can get under. You can just use those to separate out little stalls from to lamb in, put some straw in there, and then when they lamb, just because again they've been bread selectively for so long, they can sometimes strugger, struggle deliver. And if you're of the means to so, having a vet of course is lovely, right, like a large animal vet. But generally people who have farming commerc who don't have the resources to do that, it's just it's just not doesn't fit with you know, the cost of doing that. So you mostly do it yourself, like I've done it a lot. You and you want to get yourself a full arm glove, like a full plastic glove that gets like a sleeve glove, and then you can you can do a lot in terms of like turning the lamb around if it's coming out the wrong way, or helping the delivery. And I'll leave you to google that on your own time.
Speaker 2: But you just need to do all that one No, it's yeah, it's a miracle of life, Daniel. Then you just beautiful things beautiful in its own ways.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: It's really sweet when you get the lamb out and you're like, ah, yeah, I turn it around and it's get it pops up and it does a little shake and it stands on itsself feet. It's very sweet. It's kind of amazing compared to human babies. Human babies come out and like I've seen a few human babies and they're just like not particularly useful or capable in their early life. Lambs come out and they like they get up and they can run around and they can suckle, and like, you know, within twenty four hours they're like a functional tiny sheep. So that that's going nice. So you do want to when they're when they're when they're born, right, you just sort of get into the little little nose and mouth area and just clear that from anything that might be blocking it, just so they can breathe. You can use a bit of straw to get into the little nostrils just just to sort of get any any mucus or whatever out, and then you cut the umbilical cord up stay and disinfect that just with somebiodine. I think you can see actually that I send you one picture of a lamb last night where it's you can see where it's been disinfected and it's umbilical cord. Sometimes you just want to strip a couple of like you just want to check that you can give milk. Sometimes the teats can get plugged up and they're pregnantce you just give it a little little squeeze. Yes, So then then within a week and I want to do things like docking tails and castrating. Some some breeds can I'm outside, but some can't. So again, this is all stuff to consider when you're trying to buy your sheep.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 4: The last thing I've got about lambing is sometimes you use will reject the lamb. You can either try and like hold the u in place so the lamb can suckle, or if she's really hurting them, then you take them away and then you have to look after them yourself. And then they become your little friends and you can give them names. Yeah, it's very sweet, fine, like I said, unfortunately, yeah, yeah, right. This is a thing with commercial agriculture, right, Like it's the nature of the thing, Like if you're you have cattle, what are you going to do with the with the you know, any male offspring of any species, right, even if you just had the sheep and you want to have them for milk, cool, But they're not going to continue lactating for their whole life, so they're going to have to have lambs, and then they're going to have to have lambs. You're going to have to decide what you want to do with the ram lambs, and so it's a difficult thing. It's not for everyone, but yeah, she wonderful creatures, very friends. You know, if you're walking past, you could you could see if someone's trained them to come to the words sheep just by shouting sheep at them. And if not, you know, passes by will think you've correctly identified the species, So big dub for you either way. Yeah, the sheep is a wonderful animal. They're very friendly of all the farm animals. I think they're my favorite and just growing up around them. If you're small, like you know, only do it if you're a very little human, probably not old enough to listen to some of the content we broadcast. If your agent want to be in like single digits, but you can ride them. You can sort of sit on them, fold on the shoulders and ride them around.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 4: Really it's not a controlled experience like it's just going to run because it doesn't. It doesn't like you on its back, and you know, it might not be very nice for sheep thinking about it. But yeah, many many wonderful things you can do with sheep. They're very rewarding to have, I will say. But yeah, it's sad. It's also a difficult thing. So yeah, it did something too. Consider if you if you do milk, then they make good cheese. I think that's the primary reason that people dairy sheep.
Speaker 2: It is for cheese.
Speaker 4: I don't think many people are drinking sheep milk. You know, please don't let me know if you are. It's fine, I'm happy for you. No need, there's no need to share now. Yeah sheep. The every every wool pair of socks, very wool jumper that you have, every sheep's cheese that you eat, comes from these wonderful animals. Now you know a little more about and you can get sheep soad too. That's my last plug for this sheep. So it looks like a sheep, but in the middle of it it's so cute. Yeah, it's very good for washing your hands and maybe one day we will have cool zoned media sheep soap for you to buy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's not pictures of it, and it was that's a past for me. But you know what, there's a lot of people there who so more power. More power to them.
Speaker 4: Yeah, disappointing Daniel and sheep. Actually, yeah, put post pictures of your sheep and tag me and various social media someone some people already do. But yeah, that's that's about what I got on sheep and any sheep questions before we go.
Speaker 2: I mean, you know, I will say each new sheep fact brought up another sheep question. But I think you did a great job of explaining owning sheep, taking care of sheep, rearing, sheep lambing. I mean I've I've come away with with a with a whole bale full of knowledge about sheepis me? What about you? Yeah, I've learned there's the sheep flippers. I can't getting sheep flippers, r KO, and your sheep is great.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we can do one way. You teach me one r KO.
Speaker 2: It's down. I will teach you by showing you as opposed to performing it. But yes, I will, I will tell you, definitely teach you.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's our next live show. But yeah, I enjoy the stuff that you now know about sheep everyone.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and this has been It could happen here, find us on the internet at cool Zone Media, or it could happen here pod. Right, I never do that happen here, pod, but I know it needs to happen. Happen here pod.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's what it is.
Speaker 2: Thank you. Yeah yeah, put it put into the search engine of your choice. It'll come up. Do you guys want to plug anything before we leave? Mia you go first?
Speaker 1: Oh, I got nothing, I got I got elon musk got me so I don't have social media anymore?
Speaker 2: Here you go? Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I guess if you're in the US, check out Navajoate. You're a sheep every cool Navajoach're a sheep association. You know it's good to support indigenous folks. The rest of us will be sheep farming. I'm stolen Land in facts. It's all everything we're doing is all stolen Land. You can check me out on Twitch. I'm Twitch dot tv, slash dj Underscore Danel that's.
Speaker 2: It magic, Thank you, Dano Cool. All right, let's end it.
Speaker 7: It could happen here as a production of cool Zone Media. For more podcasts from cool zone Media. Visit our website coolzonemedia dot com, or check us out on the iHeartRadio app, Apple podcasts, or wherever you listen to podcasts, you can find sources for It could happen here, Updated monthly at coolzonemedia dot com slash sources. Thanks for listening.