Speaker 1: Hey, let's get into what's happening with the Dodgers and their ownership group right now. Melody Gutierrez joining us on FT. She's an investigative sports reporter for The Athletic Melody, thank you for joining us, and we need help. We want to know more about what's going on here. I know you're doing a lot of investigating reportive investigative reporting on this, So what can you tell us about the situation Mark Walter is in right now?
Speaker 2: We know he sold the Lakers. What have you learned so far?
Speaker 3: Yeah, so this gets into insurance spreadsheets, which is not really where we spend our time, you know, in the sports world. So you know, new subject for me as well in terms of diving into those filings. But I think what it comes down to that is easiest to explain is that you know his companies. He has two insurance companies, Delaware Life and clear Spring Life. They have been making loans to other entities. And what the SEC and US Attorney's Office in New York have been looking at is you know whether or not he's standing on both sides that, But is he on the side of the person lending, the company lending and on the other side of the borrower, which when you're using insurance funds, you know, those are supposed to be pretty low risk. There's not a lot of visibility into what risk factors there are with these loans. But you know, there's a lot of questions on you know, how much was known why these were listed as companies that had nothing to do with his own company when clearly they've now kind of righted some of these filings to show a significant increase in the amount of affiliated debt.
Speaker 4: Melody. I watch games and I'm like, okay, I can talk about that. I read your article and I'm like, I need your help, Melody. And I think fans are also that way because I don't want to portray this and tell us maybe if I'm right or if I'm wrong, as Oh, the Dodgers, all this must be more nefarious stuff by the Dodgers when I don't feel like the Dodgers are a nefarious organization. Can you explain it to fans who are confused by this, how it affects the team that they either hate or the team that they love.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean the Dodgers have you know, had a lot of success under Mark Walter. You know they've enjoyed the deep pockets of this owner. But you know, I think that there's just a lot of questions still, like there's a lot left to be kind of answered. So I understand sort of the you know, speculation, but we don't have a lot of answers to this. You know it will there be criminal charges, no idea, and until you know that happens, you know, I think that it's all kind of speculative.
Speaker 2: Right now, I'll dive into more nitty gritty.
Speaker 1: So when you were explaining affiliated versus you know, unaffiliated, can you get into what that means?
Speaker 2: There are certain regulations.
Speaker 1: That a company in this position has where I guess you can loan a certain amount. This is where I'm going to start to lose it, so I won't go too long on the question.
Speaker 2: But how that affected things?
Speaker 1: And then is there some type of potential payback in the past when this happens where you do actually have to give money back?
Speaker 3: Yeah, So in an insurance company, your money that you're essentially loaning needs to be low risk because these are people's savings. This is people who are going to rely on this money in retirement or death benefits. You know, this money is pretty sacred in the world of finances. But what's happening in these companies is they're loaning it out to companies that are affiliated with the Delaware Life and clear Spring Life. And so what the problem is is that when you're it's not that these are illegal, although there are some limits to how much you can loan out to affiliated companies. The problem is is that they didn't disclose them. So, like the easiest example I've found to kind of explain what's happening here is Delaware Life, which is controlled by Mark Walters, gave a loan and it's a small loan compared to what we're looking at in the billions at issue here, but it was a you know, four million dollar loan that was given to Dodger Tickets, and that's the entity with the Dodgers that deals with like season tickets and other business operations. In these documents that were filed at the end of twenty twenty five, Delaware Life, again owned by Mark Walters, controlled by Mark Walters, listed that loan as being unaffiliated. That is obviously a company that he has an interest in that his other stakes in the Dodgers has an interest in so by listing that as unaffiliated, you're essentially telling the regulators that you know, this is you know, debt that we we have fully vetted. We have you know, not an interest in whether or not they pay it back. Like you know, that part is pretty clear here that like they have an interest on both sides whether that loan gets paid back. And you know, how do you kind of vet that transaction if you have a stake on both sides? Does that make sense?
Speaker 1: Yeah, that makes as much sense as I can make out of it, of course.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: This is definitely not our wheelhouse, but super interesting and ties into the baseball world here, right, It's not like you're not saying the word Dodgers as we talk about this. I'm going to go we can work our way backward, but I want to go to the end game here. Are there any indications, I know you don't have the answer to this, but just based on the research that you did that it could affect the Dodgers, even in terms of a potential sale or partially selling shares.
Speaker 2: It's a valid question.
Speaker 1: When Mark Walter has sold the Lakers, it sounds like there's something going on with Chelsea FC. I don't know if it's officially happened yet and and there were I don't know if this was reports, rumors, et cetera about how the TV contract maybe they could get you know, some money up front there. So can you explain the sports side and the selling off that has occurred in the last couple of weeks.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean to get into this. I mean Mark Walter is a sports mogul. Like it's a name that most people like might not know. You know, it's not you know, he's not a flashy owner, so he's not a somebody who kind of comes to the forefront when you're talking about owners. But he's got a stake in a in multiple leagues, you know, not just the NBA and you know, Major League Baseball, it's you know, women's hockey league. So what this has to do with the Dodgers is really everything and we don't know yet, Like it's like somewhere between there. You know, the Dodgers are in the finances here, like their finances are coming into play in this you know investigation. You can see that even with Dodger ticket again a small item in the millions of dollars at play here. But you know, whether or not it leads to a sale. I think, like that's too early to say, you know, but you know, it does mean that everyone is kind of looking and saying, you know, what's the impact on deferred contracts? What is the impact you know on their ability to spend big in the future. So I think that there's you know, without even the sale question coming up. This impacts the Dodgers.
Speaker 1: We have pop in colors for mack Weldon. Here, I've got a little green shade. You've got a nice blue shade. And what else do you love about mack Weldon crats.
Speaker 4: I can be head to toe with Mack Weldon. I have the underwear, I have the shorts, I have the pants, I have the socks. Obviously we got the shirt and the jackets. But it's head to toe comfort no matter what piece they send. I even have a belt that looks sick.
Speaker 1: And make sure you check out mack Weldon's air Knit ex fabric to help you out Their lightest fabric fused with nylon mesh for maximum airflow, skip the midday wardrobe changes. That barely there feel also keeps you feeling more dry and more fresh. You can browse that collection at Mackweldon dot com. Don't sweat the heat this summer. Feel as effortlessly cool as you look with Mack Weldon. Go to Mackweldon dot com and get twenty percent off your first order of one hundred and twenty five bucks or more with promo code foul. That's m A c K W E L d o N dot com code f O U L.
Speaker 5: Yeah. I think you kind of answered my question because it correctly. If we're wrong, he owns about twenty seven percent of the team, and if he has to sell, I was wondering who would probably step up if there's any indication of who would buy it, But you kind of answered that question. We haven't quite got to the point where he.
Speaker 2: Has to sell, right.
Speaker 3: He's a majority owner, so he has a large stake in the Dodgers. I mean that that's you know, he bought into this team. You know, he's owned it since twenty twelve, and you know, I think that that's. Yeah, there's a lot of money obviously with the Dodgers, and it makes money, so it's not something you know, people sports owners get into this business because this is a you know, an asset that grows. I mean, look at the Lakers. He bought it, you know, fourteen months ago. It made two point five billion dollars in that one year that he owned the team. I mean that's I mean, who wouldn't want that as a return on their investment?
Speaker 4: Yeah, for sure. I think I think a lot of people would would not complain about that. Is there did you reach out to Major League Baseball? Is there something that they're just sitting back and letting the federal investigation take and whatever happens with the federal investigation, then they'd make their decision or are they doing their own type of investigation and how that handles the future for the Dodgers and for Walters as one of the thirty majority owners.
Speaker 3: You know that we've reached out to the Dodgers who have said this has like the Lakers sale has nothing to do with them, you know clearly in the finances that part isn't a through line there. But you know, I think that there's a lot of in the industry that are kind of sitting back and waiting to see what happens, you know, with the both the federal investigation and the you know, SEC investigation. So I think there's a lot of weight and figure out what's going on here.
Speaker 1: I'll refer to a question and just a topic that pops up frequently with the Dodgers. Many of their deals and a lot of money is tied up in deferrals deferred contracts. Does any of that tie into what's going on here?
Speaker 2: You know, whether you know.
Speaker 1: It could be looked at as that was helpful during all of this going on, or it could affect things going forward, you know, even if again, like we're theorizing here, he does need to sell a portion of the team that factors into the portion of his shares because there is whatever you want to call it debt or money that's owed later on.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, I don't don't get a sense that people are worried about that money not being there. But is you know, where is that money parked? I think is a good question, you know, and whether or not it's tied into you know, insurance companies and how policy holders feel about their money being tied to, you know, the Dodgers. I think a lot of people wouldn't realize that, you know, they have a stake in the outcome of the Dodgers with their you know, life annuity policies. And uh death policy, uh death insurance. So I think, you know, there's a lot to question on, you know, that element, And.
Speaker 1: I'll ask one that I know our guys are texting me about right now, and I'll bring it right to the forefront. That were like, doesn't show hey Otani have a key man clause and opt out in his contract?
Speaker 2: That is true.
Speaker 1: We spoke to your colleague Sam Blum the other day about it. He wrote a great article touching on the subject. At the time, when you look at that deal and show, hey, o Tani signing for seven hundred million deferred, so net present value more in the mid four hundreds, you don't really think, oh, let's keep an eye on the key man clause. Just in case Andrew Friedman or Mark Walter end up jumping ship, there is at least some semblance of a percentage of a possibility that he does have that option. Now he's made it clear, at least as Camp did. It seemed like in that article that he wouldn't necessarily jump ship. But what it does in the mainstream world is create people going, hey, maybe showey ops out and he signs with my team. So just thoughts on how I guess the percentage chance of this at least could increase given his financial issues right now or his financial turmoil that he's got to figure out, that he could end up not being the majority owner, and that could trigger a clause for the best player in the sport over the last five years to have his say on where he goes, not just where he goes, but also to rip up a contract and sign a new one that could be worth even more.
Speaker 3: I mean that really plays in to to like the Dodgers saying this has nothing to do with us, right, Like, that's definitely the line that they would want to take in this because you know, that is a key player, a key man agreement that you know, I would love you know, insight on you know why that was important to a tani like you know, but I think we we don't know. But I mean they're saying that he's not going to exercise it, you know. I think that's all we kind of know at this point. But you know, are other teams going, hey, there's an out here and we'd love to have you. I think that that's the fun part of baseball.
Speaker 2: What and yes, I'm with you. Yeah, it's a storyline.
Speaker 1: One one last question for you as you continue to cover this, is there one big question that you have or piece that you think unravels that really helps to tell the story here? For example, for me, from my perspective, that's much less dug in to.
Speaker 2: The story than you are.
Speaker 1: I'm like, I want to know how much is do and when and how that gets accomplished because and of course we're not going to find out all of this finances. But if he's in a situation where it's like, hey, I got to come up with two, three, four, five billion dollars more, it's not like you can. Some billionaires can find that in their pocket. Others might have to sell off assets. So that to me is the baseball fan in me trying to figure out what's next.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think the liquidity issue is is fascinating. I mean, I can't tell you like what it was like to like pour over some of these insurance filings, you know, starting at six am, when I started noticing that they the second quarter filings were in there. You know. The issue that like I'm seeing in there and like am most interested in is the timeline of when these things need to be paid back. I don't think that that answers the question for like the federal investigation, because you know, what was done was done, but there is obviously a timeline. There's a restructuring plan that is in place with the two insurance companies trying to write the ship. I think the number that really stands out to a lot of people that kind of tells you exactly how big of an issue when we're talking about unaffiliated affiliated companies, you know, is that on their balance sheet, Like they were saying that three percent of their assets were from these affiliated companies, and that made credit raiders go like, oh, that's that's good, Like, let's give you a good rating. You know, on these revised ones, it you know, jumped over forty percent and that impacts their rating, which you know has a big impact on their business. And so it becomes this kind of cyclical issue when you're talking about this affiliated unaffiliated businesses. But that's the question I think moving forward is like what they're going to do. They've already moved six point five billion dollars in a swap between companies to try to take some of that affiliated debt off the books for Delaware Life and clear Spring Life. So you know that's what I'm looking at moving forward, is you know what, what's their next play? What are they next going to try to you know, liquefy like like interm of these assets.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and we'll be following, We'll be waiting for the next story as it sounds like this is just getting going here. So Melodie, thank you so much for joining us and helping us to figure some of this out. And we appreciate the time and encourage everyone to check out her article for much more Inside the Athletic.
Speaker 2: Thank you appreciate it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, thanks for having me.
Speaker 6: Sea Geek is the official ticket marketplace for Major League Baseball, and anytime you want to go to a game, you should go to sea Gek. I used to call the director of team travel, I used to call the traveling secretary whatever they want to be called KP to try to get a seat. But on sea Geek, I can pick my own seat and I can pick where I want to sit instead of being told where to sit.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's a great option. And summer is coming to an end here soon.
Speaker 7: I'm going out and finding all the day games possible, all the warm weather cities so I could stay in this tank top I can watch very competitive baseball as the calendar turns into fall. I want to make sure that I get the most out of this tank top and warm weather and Sea Geek is where I would go and get my seats.
Speaker 6: You can use code Territory ten for ten percent off your next set of MLB tickets at SEK. That's ten percent off MLB tickets with promo code Territory ten. Make sure you click the link in the description to download the app and have the code automatically added to your account so you can use it later.
Speaker 2: All right, staying on for a few minutes.
Speaker 1: First of all, I hope that was helpful the segment we did there on what's going on with the Dodgers, because I got lost in a few different wormholes over the past twenty four hours reading things on social media, most of it helpful, and I try to keep to the business analysts. I think those are actually the best ones to explain some of this right now, and some of them are making a name for themselves in the sports world where they're saying, hey, this is what this looks like. When Melody was on with us earlier and she's explaining the three percent versus the over forty percent change and how that doesn't just affect the way that you're judged legally as a company. And again stay with me here I'm paraphrasing, but it also can affect the status of the company, right and the way creditors rate it, and it could really hurt the company, which then could hurt the people who own the company and the money that they borrowed. That's where the domino effect occurs. And the percentage chance of Mark Walter selling his shares or at least partial shares of the Dodgers has gone up since a few months ago. Right like a few months ago, someone said they'd be like, no way, there's been no indication of that. This team's on fire. Why would you sell right now?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 4: Obviously, I mean other than you would make money if you sell. But they've built this for the long term. But to me, I just wanted I want to be more educated on it because I think there's too many, too many times or people here Dodgers' owner something not maybe all above board, and they just jump right to the yep, see deferred money. See I knew these guys were I knew these guys were not illegal stuff Like I knew I knew it, you know, just just another thing that Major League Baseball turns its eye to.
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 4: I wanted, like, I want to know what it does, What does it mean? What is how is this gonna affect they're spending from here on out or the effect of Okay, maybe they have to cut back down to three hundred and ninety million dollars payroll. Who, Like, I want to know and not just jump to the conclusion that I'm pretty sure probably most of Twitter and Instagram have jumped to.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I couldn't agree with you more. I'm not super educated on it. And and these two things could be very unrelated to all these other things that we're talking about, could be very unrelated to actual Dodger payroll and Dodgers deferred money. Once again, it's going to sound like we're defending them. I just don't really know. This is out of my comfort zone. I feel like I got very educated when I'm on this flight tonight. I'm actually gonna go through the entire article, try to educate myself a little bit more. But eventually the truth is gonna come out, and we're going to find out