Speaker 1: And That's what You Really Missed with Jenna.
Speaker 2: And Kevin An iHeartRadio podcast.
Speaker 1: Welcome to you and That's what you Really missed podcast. This is a recap and this is the spinoff of Glee.
Speaker 2: Pretty much, Welcome to the spinoff, Jenna. People are loving this. People are loving your reaction to New York. I'm loving your reaction to New York. Hearing we talked to some fans, Yes, and fans love this part of this show so much. I didn't know, and I don't think any of us knew when we were filming this how much people liked it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, people talked about it for a long time, Like at the beginning when we started this, they were like, end of five six, you're going to be shocked. It's so great.
Speaker 2: We love it.
Speaker 1: And I was like, you're crazy, Like.
Speaker 2: I got great snoring it though I didn't remember. And it's it's very exciting and I can't overstate it that I love seeing it through your eyes for the first time.
Speaker 1: Oh wow, Well let's talk about it then, because there's more to see. This aired on April eighth, twenty fourteen. The number one song was Happy by forel.
Speaker 2: Still A number one movie is Captain America Winter Soldier. Funnily enough, a new Captain American movie's coming out right now. So here we are Glee News. This week April eighth, the music for bash EP was released. Featured six tracks. There was a lot of music. There's a lot of music, including the Amber Riiley original color Blind, And if I remember correctly, color Blind was written by the great Emily Sonde, who is an incredible singer and songwriter.
Speaker 1: Yes, okay, now I remember that because I thought Amber brought that to them and wrote it. But I don't think she wrote it, but she brought it to them. She brought it to them, right, Yeah, it was like a song she was doing.
Speaker 2: Let me send her a voice note.
Speaker 1: There's like a lot of controversy around colorblind also.
Speaker 2: Is there like on Reddit? Were you on the Reddit reading the color Blind?
Speaker 1: I girdled it and like because I was trying to remember if she had written it or like, because I knew it was like her song. I knew there was like some version, but it's a little like there she's singing Colorblind to her white boyfriend, like it's that whole thing, and I I can see what they're saying, Like he was the one who was like engaging in like Mi Greg rassion is the whole episode.
Speaker 2: And so like I mean, Sam was out of control.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and so then they were like people were like shock that she was singing a song called Colorblind.
Speaker 2: What it looked like is that they backed into the storyline from Amber bringing them the song, and that was like the way that they chose to write it in got it. But yeah, then it presents a whole lot of questionable things for sure.
Speaker 1: Also, by the way, Captain America the Winter Soldier at number one, I've seen that over one hundred times and I watch it on the regular.
Speaker 2: You love it, I love it, all said love it.
Speaker 1: Our friend Sebastian's in it, of course, which is like, you know, applause. But the movie itself is great. It's one of the best Avenger films they have in Marvel World.
Speaker 2: I completely agree, if not the best. I also think, you know, we mentioned Hot Texas Glenn Powell before and like seeing him become a movie star, but Sebastian Stan actually was the first one. You were much closer with Sebastian than I ever was, but he was around and.
Speaker 1: Now he's like nominated for an Oscar nominated for it. It's crazy. It's crazy watching all these people. He's unbelievable. Captain America's Civil War two top of my list.
Speaker 2: Anyway, Oh maybe that's my favorite.
Speaker 1: Actually, Civil Wars excellent. Really big Marvel fans were here. It was also announced that Charley McLain would be joining the show for several episodes as a New York socialite intent on making Blaine into a star.
Speaker 2: Which was a crazy experience. Yeah. That same week, it was announced that the fifth season was reduced to twenty episodes instead of twenty two due to the production hiatus at the start of the season. Aha, that makes sense.
Speaker 1: Got it. This was directed by Brad Beaker around my Ian Brennan.
Speaker 2: We get whoopee back, which is always a plus. Yes, there's a lot of songs, Jenna, so many songs we have known as alone by Blaine, Kurt and Rachel.
Speaker 1: You make me feel like a natural woman of course by certain.
Speaker 2: Mercedes, Broadway Baby by Blaine and Rachel. Blaine was singing he was this episode.
Speaker 1: Now while I'm around by Blaine co.
Speaker 2: Ed, Yes, color Blind by Mercedes.
Speaker 1: And I'm Still Here by Kurt. Wow.
Speaker 2: Okay, so it was you. I mean it was me, then it was you announced Leah. It's Leah's hundredth episode appearance. Hello, I mean as the leader of the show. Basically, she finally did it. I don't even remember her not being in episodes.
Speaker 1: There were uh two, I know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but there's like no Glee without Rachel.
Speaker 1: It's weird, right, it's weird without her. But I think there's one episode that we had recently that was just all McKinley. Yes, there was, right, So there's one. This isn't an unofficial Stephen Soundheim episode featuring many of his songs. It's unofficial. It should have just been official. We should have just like done it because like I'm a huge Steven Soundheim fan. We didn't do Stephen Sondheim. Like we did a little bit of Stephen Seim, but we didn't really Stephen Sondheim. No, and they absolutely should have. Could you imagine that would have been stacked? That would have been two episodes. If I wasn't in that in any of those I would have been, there would have been flames. Yeah, fury, fury to the end to degree. Steven same is the person that I would have dinner with. You know, when people ask you like alive or Dead? Yes? Do you have dinner with Steve?
Speaker 2: Is there a song that you would have wanted to have done on the show from Stephen sometime?
Speaker 1: Oh my god, it's like Sophie's choice. One of my favorite is the Miller's Son and I've never sang it before actually, but the Miller's Son from A Little Night Music Jenna.
Speaker 2: It's one of those, like another I have missed opportunity. How do we not do Somehi?
Speaker 1: I don't know, And I think they were like, oop, let's just do a bunch of some time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean yeah, like Darren said, he pitched one, but of course this is as closest we got. But that would got to do a bunch of them. Yeah, that's true, that makes sense. Okay. This is the second time Mercedes sings two solos and a single episode. It's been a while, though, This is the first since.
Speaker 1: Grilled Jesus, Give Me More. This is also the second time that Mercedes sings two solos too or about the same person in a single episode, the first being Grilled Jesus when she sang to Kurt and now obviously with Them Sam.
Speaker 2: And with Colorblind. This is the second time an actor sings their own song in an episode, the first being Matt Morrison, who sang still Got Tonight in New.
Speaker 1: York, That's Right, and the episode version of not Well I'm Around is a live solo by Blaine, whereas the studio version also includes Mercedes Rachel musam Really.
Speaker 2: This is the third time Darren performs a live solo version of a song. The other two r Teenage Dream Acoustic version from the Breakup and Against All Odds Take a Look at Me Now from Guilty Pleasures.
Speaker 1: This episode marks the final appearance by Carmen Diibodeaux.
Speaker 2: Boo.
Speaker 1: We got a lot of her, though. I will say it like I feel like I got my carbon to show Phil it's true.
Speaker 2: Okay, you have an egot on the show. You you better bring her back as long as it's willing to be there. I would also like to point out we mentioned before that we last episode we were using all the same locations in New York. We got a new location this episode. It is the carousel in Brooklyn.
Speaker 1: It's beautiful and we love that carousel. That is a real carousel, a real location. We love it. It is beautiful. I thought it was. It was used beautifully as well, like, let's use a location.
Speaker 2: We start using it again, it comes back. Jenna, Sure, yes, that's it. It's like once we get once we get access to a location, we're gonna use it. We gotta use it, we gotta.
Speaker 1: We're in Okay, Uh, tell me what's up in this episode?
Speaker 2: Okay, Jenna. Rachel takes the next step into admitting to her role an funny girl. Meanwhile, Kurt is the victim of an attack because of his sexual preference. Oh see the way they say that, Yeah, what a different time. That was the official Fox publicity summary from back then. So all right, all right, it's a preference, Jenna.
Speaker 1: What's a sexual preference? Okay? Moving on, Uh, funny girl's in tech rehearsals. Let's talk about Rachel. Okay, she's she's in tech for a funny girl. Everybody knows in the theater world, if you're in tech, you're not getting out. But somehow she manages to get the producer to say yes to letting her go to do her Midwinter critique, which I will say to start, I was like, oh, she's still in school, Like, good for her, but also, if you are in a school to be a star on Broadway and then you're just become a star on Broadway.
Speaker 2: Like defer, yeah, why are you going to school for the thing you're already doing? You're good. Yeah, So her point is valid because she does bring that up though, right, yes, that's true.
Speaker 1: A lot of people would be like, oh, you know, it's good to get your degree and finish. But like, nobody we know goes to school for theater except for me for college, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: The thing is with her, her whole point is, yeah, she does manage to get out. She does a performance, and then Thibodeau's like, no, that was a duet. You're supposed to do a solo, and she's going to fail them. It's like, okay, now i'll give you a second chance, you can redo it. But of course it was already pain in the ass to get out in the first place, to do that one performance for Thibodeau. And so as much as we want to give Rachel shit for being you know, a little crazy, sometimes especially lately, she's really feeling herself. I think her point stands here, like you just said, where she decides that she doesn't need me at it and she's going to quit. Correct because Thibodeau is not working with her. I can't come back and do this. I didn't have time. We're in tech and so I feel like, you know, the initial reaction for some maybe like oh, there's Rachel being Rachel again, like, well, no, actually she does have a point.
Speaker 1: No, she does have a point.
Speaker 2: I are you explaining to people who don't know what tech is? What tech is?
Speaker 1: Okay? So you go into rehearsal spur a show, right, Kevin. Rehearse for a show in a studio, usually they draw out like fake lines for the state measurements of the stage and your numbers so that you know where you are on the stage. And then you get into the theater and before you can run the show in the theater, on the stage, they have to teck it. That means that everybody comes together, sound lights, director, staging. It's just all the actors and it is laborious. It is so slow. You are there for hours. You just bring like bring bring something to knit. Yeah, sit backstage and just be know what you're in for. And and basically you go like mark to mark, scene to scene, spot to spot to make sure that everything is in its place. You're lick correctly, your your sound is correct, you're in the right place. It feels good the whole thing.
Speaker 2: So it's for every department, So like lighting those where they're supposed to be, and sound knows where they're supposed to be, hitting in certain songs, all of that, yes.
Speaker 1: And ever so that everybody's in sync when you start to run the show. So it is, and it's necessary for everybody to be there. It's not like, oh, you get a stand in.
Speaker 2: How long does a show normally when they're putting up a show, how long does tech normally last?
Speaker 1: Like two days?
Speaker 2: Okay? So okay, so it's.
Speaker 1: Not yeah, no, no, no, it's like two days. Like everybody like does their prep work right, and then you get in and like and then everybody adjusts.
Speaker 2: It's just a long two days.
Speaker 1: How long was your chech for smelling babe? Like a day?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Okay, so that seems right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was like two half days basically.
Speaker 1: Rachel performed. Well, first, let's talk about this. Because they perform, they're super excited about doing this Winter critique, and Blaine and Rachel decide to do a duet. They do Broadway Baby. Why we had to do Broadway Baby was it supposed to be like not the best, not in terms of like their performance, like obviously Lea Darren sound great, and like they look great.
Speaker 2: They do look better than ever.
Speaker 1: Right, But the song itself, to me is like that's the song you're gonna pick all the time songs.
Speaker 2: It seems like they should know better, yes, right, the characters should know better because they're like theater geeks like they yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was a weird song choice.
Speaker 2: I also have a question logistically, wouldn't Blaine and Rachel be in different years?
Speaker 1: None of that matters, okay, I mean they're performing in a concert hall with lighting and a piano, like with cabaret tables, So that's true. Is like I'm like, okay, that's what college looks like.
Speaker 2: I'm also this new version of Glee they are. The production is very different because how little is actually on the stages now where the concert hall is a real concert hall in downtown LA. We're using some downtown LA for exteriors or using a lot of actual New York for exteriors. The production is very different.
Speaker 1: That's right.
Speaker 2: A lot on the go, yeah, a lot on the goal. But anyway, I really enjoyed watching them perform totally.
Speaker 1: I just was like, why is it both follies when Steven Sonheim has a hundred other shows, right, but that we do two songs from Follies. Anyway, Okay, I've said my piece on that. Moving on, I guess the whole thing is that Rachel, like Carmen's like, look, you have to show up or you're going to fail. You have to do your you have to reschedule, or I'm going to fail you. Which, to be fair, this was my life. I was working and doing this show called Yankees on Deck at the time for the Yankees Network, the s Network, and I was performing. I was doing that on the weekends and during the week I had to travel a little bit and then I would go back to school and a lot of these classes are performance based. You can't just sit in a lecture hall take notes. Somebody can photocopy them for you. Well, on exam, like, you have to be there. And I was at the risk of failing, like a couple of times they were like, We're gonna have to fail you if you don't show up, and I was like, WHOA.
Speaker 2: How did you manage to because you also graduated in three years?
Speaker 1: Yeah, that was a whole other thing. But I managed to somehow show up enough for class for the rest of the year, and then I took extra courses outside of school though, like the liberal arts courses that I had to take, math and you know, ridiculous psychology like psych one oh one. I took all those online. They were like courses available, so I was able to like take multiple credits, yes exactly. But she quits and I don't blame her. I actually don't blame her. Now there's like it's like a cliffhanger because like, obviously her whole life has been revolving around getting into Nyada, going to Nyada, and then all of a sudden she's like.
Speaker 2: See it.
Speaker 1: But I don't blame her. I was, but of course it's a TV show.
Speaker 2: So I was thinking about that a lot, because how often when you get these opportunities, you don't know when they're going to come. And like, how her, like you said, her storyline has just been so wrapped around getting to New York and getting into Niyada when she discovered Niada existed, right, And it seems crazy to just sort of on the surface, it feels crazy to just get rid of it all of a sudden, like, oh, she's just quitting. It feels like she just got there once. She's been there for a hot minute. Two she got the dream role, right, she's already doing it right.
Speaker 1: That's the thing.
Speaker 2: These things happened. I was signed up for a full semester of college courses. I only found this out during the pandemic because I decided to take some classes again. But I didn't drop any of them. And did you just fail them? F's for an entire semester of full course load because I got glee and so I was just like, wow, I don't even remember. I was so stoked that I have zero memory of ever signing up for these classes.
Speaker 1: That's really funny.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like what yeah, I got my script. I was like, what do you so?
Speaker 1: Like?
Speaker 2: These things do happen? I was a year out of high school and yeah, I had plans to go to college but.
Speaker 1: Whoops, whoopsies you know, yeah, no for sure. Okay, well that's kind of the story of Rachel Rachel. Rachel quits NATA. Meanwhile, Blaine's gonna go back and he's gonna kind of tagging this on to the end of her storyline. He is going to go back and he's gonna perform not while I'm around by Toby from Sweeney Chad. So he does that a beautiful version of the song and fulfills his requirement that carbon Thibodeaux requests in order for him to continue on.
Speaker 2: I do think these songs really suit.
Speaker 1: Him, he belongs.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like it makes sense, Like I it sounds good on him. I really enjoyed it. Great choice, you alsay, just to go back real quick. I know Lee has been doing a lot of musical theaters singing on the show lately, but you know, for seasons we were getting a lot of like pop songs, but like you, her Bread and Butter is theater, and so it is really nice to be able to have an excuse to get like the two of them to do music.
Speaker 1: Yes, agreed, I'm totally into it. It's like they're very versatile. This is their read and Butter.
Speaker 2: But this feels different.
Speaker 1: And we really don't see Daren do a lot of Broadway. We do see him do a lot more pop, so this is actually really nice.
Speaker 2: A lot of like alt rock, pop rock things, and he's getting to really into this side, which I also can't you know, if you guys, listen to our interview with Darren and he talks about how he sort of stumbled into musical theater. I can't get past that, I know, especially looking at him now and maybe happy Ending and you know all the Broadway shows he's done, right, But every time you start singing one of these things, I keep thinking of that.
Speaker 1: No, for sure, it is funny because people spend their whole lives with like a track of Broadway, right, like that's the track, and it was like, not, that was not his journey at all.
Speaker 2: No, but he's just so musically gifted.
Speaker 1: Yeah he can. And he's like his camp totally works with Broadway. Like he has this camp side of him that totally works. True, not saying that his performances are camp, but it's just like there's this tone or vibe that.
Speaker 2: He also can appreciate like different, He can appreciate any genre of anything and really like nerd out and get into it, and so he can also want to go for like no, it's like he's yeah, just likes you can just do it. You can do it, Okay, So Mercedes and Sam are have this.
Speaker 1: Really I didn't even realize that it got this deep and we kind of fall into this storyline. I just totally forgot about it, but I did remember Color Colorblind because there was just a lot of press around it at the time. Amber having her song come in and whether she wrote it or not, like she was she recorded this song, right, I.
Speaker 2: Mean, and we were all, like I think probably a lot of the fans of the show, waiting for Amber to put out her own music.
Speaker 1: She had said like, you gotta wait, you gotta wait. Obviously you you know, she sent you a lot of music, but.
Speaker 2: Just unbelievable.
Speaker 1: Okay. So there's this like very cute scene in the beginning where Sam's like eating cereal and Mercedes and like they're hanging out as.
Speaker 2: Roommates and they were roommates and.
Speaker 1: Their sexual chemistry is undeniable, and they end up looking up and Mercedes wants to like keep it hush hush, but she introduces Sam to her friend Oh Lord, in like the cringiest of cringiest scenes in the entire series. Oh ask me, And it's like, for Cord, it hurts my heart, it hurts my heart, for Mercedes and for her friends, and it's just it's just wrong. Yeah, And I'd like to pass over this scene. Even though it's just it's wrong. It's wrong in every way, shape and form. We do address it at least, like I'm glad that we address it and that it's talked about. It's not just him throwing out these lines and like us kind of moving past it right correct. And there's also this this conflict of her saying she can't then she breaks up with them, and she says, I can't date you. There's like the career aspect of it and her record. There's like people in her ear, you know, justifiably I don't know, so like you know, saying like you can't date him, you shouldn't be dating him. So she breaks up with him. We'll get into more of that the context of this relationship, but we do get Ambers. You make me feel like a natural woman.
Speaker 2: I mean yeah, just put it on loop.
Speaker 1: Put it on loop, put me in front of a carasel, put it on loop. Listen to it all day. Why is it so good?
Speaker 2: If you're an Amber slash Mercedes fan? This is a dream episode at musically because yes, yes, I also love Emily Sonde and she can write a melody love and Anderson's so good on it an internatural woman like, are you kidding me? I'm surprised it's taken this long, right, I was like, she doesn't yeah, I said, I'm like what wait, it's so good, it's so why do they do a Carol King episode? You know what? I don't know.
Speaker 1: I don't know. I don't know, because you'd think Ryan too would definitely want a Carolk That would have been unbelievable, the different versions you can do it for music well, and then Mussa the Noois did Carol King on Broadway. Crazy beautiful, Okay, I hate this whole thing of like and I'm I'm glad that they acknowledge it. When one of her friends, like the backup singer Tesla, says like, if you date a white dude, you're gonna alienate all the black women and you're gonna you're going to piss off all the black men, and like it's it's so real in like the industry that we work in, Like how strategic they want you to be m mm hmm. And then you add race into it and you're like, this is crazy, like why are we even effing talking about this? But it's a real, it is it is frusculation so I appreciate them acknowledging it.
Speaker 2: I would like to ask Amber about this storyline next time she comes on right how she felt about it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, for sure. I think though with what they had to work with, Amber and Cord were beautiful. They did a beautiful job. I all day long should have endgame for them, like love them.
Speaker 2: Really do. And I think it's such a fine line for coord as an actor doing uncomfort things like this to make you not want to hate the character and not be so overt and obvious with what you're doing where he's still very much Sam doing this, We're like, we know this character, we know his intention. That does not make it right what he's saying totally, but like he's and he's also sort of like slowly twisting that knife of uncomfortableness the whole time, like I want to crawl out of my skin, which is hard to do, and he was so good. And then Amber on the flip side of it, seeing that handling it was also like walk that tightrope beautifully did.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and she's embarrassed with her friends like that the cringiest seen like, but yet she knows Sam is good at his core.
Speaker 2: We've all dated people we've had to apologize for a little bit.
Speaker 1: Right, totally, totally. The whole storyline itself wasn't cringey. I appreciate them acknowledging that, and like they're an interracial couple, like we let's talk about it. We always doesn't try away from storylines. But did we have to put in those that scene with those I don't know if you can come and call them jokes or what they were intended to be, But like I just was like, no, no, I.
Speaker 2: Mean to be fair, Like we sort of live in our bubble, right, we're very much protected. And when I go back to Texas to visit family and I'm around some of my siblings friends or friends of friends, they say some questions wild shit, and I'm always very audibly like what yeah, yeah, yeah, I like, you can't My friend here has as his little brother who's in town from the rural town he's from, yeah, and has said some wild things. God, oh, you can't be you can't be saying that, and so okay, it's like it is hard to watch, it's really uncomfortable. But these guys are from a small town and trying to fit into a new city quickly. Yeah, and the pure panic in his eyes he does, he becomes like sort of the worst version of himself. Yeah, and it's a learning moment.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, no, definitely, it's like.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, no no. And I think when as Glee ever shied away from doing that, even as uncomfortable as it may it.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah crazy. Also Sam just had to mark this when they're making up, when they've kind of they're having there come to Jesus moment and and Sam's like, this isn't new, Mercedes. When we were in Glee club, there are all different types of people. There was gay, straight, black, white, Tina. It didn't I.
Speaker 2: I lost it.
Speaker 1: I just loved it.
Speaker 2: And maybe Gigle even when Tina's not there, they're still kicking her, kicking girl down. It was so good, Like it was good. See you were still there in spirit.
Speaker 1: Always and and and Mercedes kind of admitting that, like she can't believe she even said that, right, like she said that, and I and she was definitely moved. I think also they were all everybody was moved by the Kurt plot that we're going to talk about as well, and like had these like real deep realizations, you know, me not dating someone because they're white. It is like me telling someone I can't be their friend because they're gay. Sam, I'm I'm not gay. But like it was a These are like real, real conversations, and I really I thought there were so well handled, given the cringe scene and like the tie up for it all and the two of them really I don't know coming together and having these conversations, because how can you not you know, how can you ignore something like that? And then and Mercedes sings Colorblind to him, and boy, oh boy, is that not one of my favorites?
Speaker 2: So I asked Amber how Colored Wine happened, and she said, Emily Sanda wrote it, she thinks with Claude Kelly, who's another incredible songwriter. Claude was working with Amber on her album and so Amber recorded it and Emily liked it and said she could have it, and then she pitched it to the show.
Speaker 1: Wow that's what happened.
Speaker 2: Whow Now that's a team Emily Sonde, Claude Kelly and Amber Eiley.
Speaker 1: I don't remember that song like me appreciating that song like I do now.
Speaker 2: I think she went on like the Ellen Show she did like she was reforming that place is yeah, oh god.
Speaker 1: It was so good though, like and then watching it with the episode, I think that was also the most powerful too, because like, this episode as a whole, which we didn't talk about, was like a very very different tone than obviously New New York. But I still loved it. I was totally into it, and I think it's great.
Speaker 2: It's sort of like honeymoon phase is over. We got one episode of honeymoon phase, and now it's very much here are the real things happening in these people's lives and how we're harsh city beautiful.
Speaker 1: At first, I was like, oh no, like when they when the episode opened, I was like, I don't know about this. And then when Kirk gets beat up and that whole like second act, I was like, I let's talk about this into it, okay, haven't.
Speaker 2: So the episode opens on like this beautiful acapella known as alone by Blurt, gorgeous blurt, blurt by Blurt by Blank, Kurt and Rachel walking on the street in New York to a memorial site for this guy who got I Hate Grimed. Basically that's what it's alluded to, who was also Chris's stand in in real life.
Speaker 1: I thought that was so funny the picture.
Speaker 2: You seeing out his picture of her, I'm like, that is Chris's stand in. At first, I was like, where are we going with this? Yes?
Speaker 1: Are we just going to like is it just going to happen? And we're going to like pass over it? And you know what I mean, Like I just didn't know. So I'm glad that it went where it went totally. But yeah, Kurt, it's very It weighed very heavy. Young Kurt and everybody took it very seriously.
Speaker 2: And Rachel is coming in on a very different wavelength than Kurt is, because Rachel's coming off this like riding high of like I quit, I made this crazy big decision, but like here I am. And she's just like a rocket, just like shooting off. And she meets up with Kurt and Kurt gives her a bunch of flag for it. Basically, he confronts her about quitting YadA and they get into this fight and Rachel's like, you're afraid to take risks and grow up? I'm growing up and she storms out. That's it very Rachel, Barry and Kurt's left alone and on his way out, you know, he's still shaken from their friends and neighbor getting beat up that he sees someone getting beat up in the alley and he runs into it to confront them, helps the guy get away, and then he ends up getting beaten up. Very brave of Kurt, yes, which again you know, here are people adapting to the big city again where he would have done this in Ohio all day. I mean, think about the experiences he's been through. This is not something he's necessarily afraid of, right, right, And so he runs towards the fire.
Speaker 1: Basically, which Bert's like, why didn't you just call the cops.
Speaker 2: You don't have time to call the cops.
Speaker 1: You don't have time to call the cops, and the cops probably wouldn't come anyway.
Speaker 2: But but we had a Burton Curt scene, So a beautiful Burton curtsyne I know.
Speaker 1: Okay, so this create ends up in the hospital, everybody, all these different shots of people, all all of you guys finding out about Kurt is also really well done. Like if this were if I didn't know better, this would have been like an Alfonso episode to me, totally also Beaker so good they that was really powerful, and then seeing Kurt in the hospital, it was really emotional. And I hadn't expected that. I didn't expect that. It also feels like what's going on in the world, which I won't get too far into but is important is it felt very timely and I cannot believe we're still here.
Speaker 2: I mean, we're here in a hard way, like we've really come crashing back.
Speaker 1: M hmmm, actually farther backwards. So it's just terrifying. But yeah, I think the emotion was like with what's happening. It feels too relevant too, and also just devastating.
Speaker 2: It reminded me how quickly these things can spin out of control. Yeah, because it's like one thing leads to another and you start to see patterns good or bad. They usually gain momentum in whatever direction they're heading. And it's like it reminded me of when these things were more common and when you see them than other people get the idea to do it and they feel more comfortable doing it. And what scares me now is that happening again and it seems like everything is just turned up and like what that could mean for vulnerable communities. But yeah, it made me think of that as well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, especially when he's like, I mean, this is New York. I just didn't think this would happen here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean I think it's about New York. It is, and you can I mean, you've lived there, you're from there, you can tell me if I'm wrong. There's also this, I know, I don't want to get too into the weeds here about it, but New York is the biggest city in the country, so you have more of everything. Yeah, for sure, there's more good and there's more bad because there's just more of it. Yeah, don't really the good outweighs the bad generally. Yeah, but because they's just a bigger volume of people, these things are going to happen because everybody is forced to come together. That's the beauty of it. Where you, like Bert says, you wouldn't think this would happen because everybody is around a lot of different types of people. And again, generally that is the sense. But yeah, you get a few cases like this and then all of a sudden people think the whole place is unsafe.
Speaker 1: That's not right.
Speaker 2: That's what happens.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And the way Kurt handles is also like pretty it's interesting. He's like, I'm not even that upset about it. He's like, you know, I just think he's Kurt has seen a lot like Chris like, and it's really brave the way he responds this. And I don't know, I just thought the whole thing was handled really well. And that scene with Burt and Kurt like fathered a son was so impactful.
Speaker 2: To see the evolution of where they've come from, because I always think about like the single lady days, which coming down the stairs and seeing and where they are now they're talking like it's father and son, but it's also like, yeah, like they are adults now, it's an adult to adult and they are the sum of their experiences up to that point. So like, as a fan of their characters, it does feel different. Yeah, definitely and earned in that way, which is really nice. Definitely, And then Kurt sing's his Niyata song and we get a beautiful I'm still here. This is the one that I was talking about.
Speaker 1: It's so funny because like everybody's there for his winter like critique. Yes, everybody's supporting him. Of course, said to me, I was gonna say, what's the deal.
Speaker 2: I think this was where there was something lost in translation. I think they were writing me out of this episode. I see for the movie I was supposed to do, but they were a week off. Got it?
Speaker 1: That would make sense, Kevin, because I was like, where's Artie?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Me too, but I think that's so I like sort of had more time off, but I wasn't gone yet, got it?
Speaker 1: You were just prepping to be one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, miscommunication behind the scenes here. Well, Christmas performance is awesome. I loved watching it. I was laughing because I was like, he brought in lights. I guess Kurt would bring in lights and effects and cabaret tables of course, yes, the whole thing.
Speaker 1: And of course like Carmen's you know, smiling because she has to be at this point like he's just been through hell and that's that's it. That's that's the thing.
Speaker 2: And it's a really heavy episode. But it doesn't feel too much. No, it doesn't feel like too much. It's really well balanced.
Speaker 1: I agree.
Speaker 2: And yeah, New York's got to groove to it, doesn't it?
Speaker 1: It does, and I am I'm into it. Let's grade some performances, Okay, no one is alone be plus yeah, B plus you make me feel like an after a woman A plus A plus Broadway baby, not while I'm around a colorblind A plus. I'm still here A plus A plus. Wow, I got a lot of B pluses in that love this I do. I'm loving this.
Speaker 2: I think it's because you haven't seen it, so it's just something I think.
Speaker 1: I think part of it is, like it's really exciting. I think part of it was like my expectations were kind of low, but like that's not to say that this is this is like, this is far exceeding my expectations. I am like into it. I am here for this. I love this spinoff, give me all of it. I also think it's like the pressures off of Tina and my feelings towards the show as a person in it, Like I am like enjoying this as a viewer, Like I somehow the ad I'm able to watch Glee as a fan, do you know what I mean?
Speaker 2: Like this is fun. I'm excited for that experience in six Yes, totally you should be.
Speaker 1: Okay, let's see some tardy takes the cringe moments.
Speaker 2: Cringe is obviously the sam it was on purpose, but still yeah, hard to walk the stands move? Oh, I mean there were dancers on the carousel. That's the one stunning. The one stunning, beautiful. Best song.
Speaker 1: Colorblind, Natural Woman, Whoa both Amber songs. Okay, I gotta listen to Colorline again. Hold on, I'm just gonna put this on my spot.
Speaker 2: Put on the playlist. Everybody added to your playlist, get Amber, some of those streams. Best performance by Prop, the Cereal Ball, I like the kazoo.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, that's a good one too, best line.
Speaker 2: I think you mentioned it, Oh, the Tina one. And then absolutely Sam being like we're in glee club. There are all different types of people, like the full line Tina, it didn't matter.
Speaker 1: And then also when Mercedes is like, you know, that'd be like saying I couldn't be a friend to THEE because they're and he's like, I'm not gay. Yes, Chord just coming in with the lines performance m VP.
Speaker 2: This is getting hard. It's really good. It's all things, and they're all doing it really well. Like I don't I don't know.
Speaker 1: I don't know. I will say that the scenes m VY. There's two m VP scenes for me, which is the Burton Kurt scene and the Cord and Mercedes scene. And I think that I think Chord gets it because that is a really hard thing to do. Like you said, without being like his character is starting to feel become a villain, right like like you you want to hate them because of it, and you still don't. And somehow he managed to make this, he still managed to not make that who he was, but like something that he can learn from and a choice of that he made, you know, And I I really I thought he did it so well.
Speaker 2: I would like to point out another scene. And I think, because they're both so good, we might take it for granted. Lee and Chris, Leah and Chris and Leah and Whoopie. She's going up against Whoopie. Yeah, that's fair. I'd forget that's their and you don't question it, right, you don't. It's it's a good point. It's really good. I don't know so I think I think Cord overall.
Speaker 1: But but these honorable scene mentioned, yes, yes, for sure?
Speaker 2: Okay, all right, okay, Jenna, Okay. I don't know if you've been on TikTok lately. I'm sure you haven't. You are very busy.
Speaker 1: No, I'm not on Tico.
Speaker 2: Say a little prayer. Glee version with the choreography is trending again and bigger than ever, and there are so many different types of people doing it. There's a lot of straight people doing it, and the gleeks are calling them out for doing the choreography wrong. However, I don't care. It is incredible.
Speaker 1: Is there's a bunch of guys doing it, so many what yeah, and some of them are so good.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, like you just got a basement gating that has one on here. Yes, like and they are committed. Those hips are shimmying.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh.
Speaker 2: It's really good. Okay, So dad talk talk like these daughters doing it with their dad. This is also great. It's really interesting how everybody really understands the vibe of this, Like everyone is doing it correctly, like everyone's being cute, and it is a wide array of people.
Speaker 1: We have a Love Island person doing it.
Speaker 2: It's taken over the world. There are so many I love it. Keep it coming, you guys, please keep sharing them. There incredible Okay, Kevin. So next week is your week. It's season five, episode sixteen tested. It is the mistake week where you were supposed to be off for your movie. So I'm sure you have lots of stories about this.
Speaker 1: And then you are also in an STD costume, which I can't wait to watch this episode. I've heard so much about it for so many years that I actually get to see it now.
Speaker 2: I have so many stories. It was a wild time. Not everybody was on their best behavior. Whoa professional?
Speaker 1: Bring it?
Speaker 2: It was a really hard episode. Shoot.
Speaker 1: Okay, I can't wait. I can't wait. I'm interviewing you next week.
Speaker 2: Okay, I love it. I'm ready.
Speaker 1: All right, Well that is bad. Thank you for joining us for another episode of the New York spinoff. I'm into it. I'm a huge glee Van, I'm a gleek.
Speaker 2: Wow, finally you heard it here first.
Speaker 1: You're welcome.
Speaker 2: We did it, We did it, love it. It only took you being off the show for you to love it again. Obvious, I'm kidding. Look for those people who think we don't love this show, you're out of your mind. Do you think we'd be doing this and we didn't love the show and respect the characters and everything.
Speaker 1: We love it.
Speaker 2: We love it. Okay, that's what you really miss see Yeah, thanks for listening and follow us on Instagram at and that's what you really miss pod. Make sure to write us a review and leave us five stars. See you next time.