Speaker 1: Hey there, folks, welcome to the show. We are coming to you right now from the historic Hollywood Roosevelt Hollywood Boulevard in Los Angeles, s right across the street from Adope Theater where we just attended the twenty twenty five ar Heart Radio Music Awards. Top of the show. We'll get into it later, but first thing, off the top of your mind. You just came from the show.
Speaker 2: Your highlight was oh Nelly. Wow, I loved watching him. It brought me right back and yeah, I mean ending with it's getting hot in here.
Speaker 1: Okay, that was fun. Okay, I am so surprised. We'll talk about this some more. How emotional I ended up getting about music because of Nelly. You see some of these artists now, Gracie Abrams that my daughter is so into, and some of the artists just going crazy, go crazy. I respect all them. I love their music, but nothing stirs you like the stuff you were listening to junior, high, high school and college. Nelly was all of that, and so you kind of get an idea better idea of just what music means to people. And I think tonight I wasn't expecting that tonight, but it came through for me.
Speaker 2: That's what I mean. Music has always been like for me. And I thought it was pretty cool. We watched as each of these artists were being awarded.
Speaker 3: It was cool the way iHeart did it.
Speaker 2: They had fans just everyday folks saying what people's music meant to them, and people reaching out saying, you got me through when Mariah Carey was being honored, you got me through my mother's death. You know, music can carry you through the worst of times. You can remember the best of times, but it makes all the difference. Yeah, and it's transformative and transporting because, yeah, you go right back to middle school or high school when you hear what you were loving and dancing to.
Speaker 1: And when you were carefree and happy when.
Speaker 3: You didn't have a care in the world.
Speaker 1: Yes, Bill's no kids is nothing. But this has been a good trip. We got out here on Saturday, me, you and the little one, Sabine, and look we have This is a good question as well. I've been using this hashtag school skip trip. Sabina is missing two days of school to come out here and kick it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you know what, She's in sixth grade and not taking away the importance of middle school and getting good grades. But she is a good student first of all, and so that's not a concern at all. And once she gets honestly next year, it's gonna get a lot more serious, and so take advantage.
Speaker 3: I think that's an awesome thing.
Speaker 2: And getting an experience like this, I think that's a lot better than sitting in a classroom hearing about what people are doing. She's actually living it, seeing it firsthand.
Speaker 1: And I've been doing this with her since she was little. I'll pull out of school for anything experience.
Speaker 3: I did the same thing with my kids.
Speaker 2: I did this when it was something where I thought this actually beats whatever they could be learning in school right now, and as long as they were good students, I was all for that.
Speaker 1: Big part of what she was excited about, and we've been working on this for a couple of weeks was her outfit. Because she was gonna be on the red carpet. She put together herself very age appropriate, cute outfit. I'm still dealing with why one shoulder at least always has to be.
Speaker 3: Shown because it just makes you cool.
Speaker 1: That's all you got. Yeah, Okay, it's.
Speaker 3: Just yeah, and it's sweet.
Speaker 2: It's not revealing in any other way, right, I mean you wear a tank top, so it's just kind of instead of wearing a full tank top, you have a shirt covering a tank top and one shoulder is exposed.
Speaker 3: I don't think there's anything wrong.
Speaker 1: I know you weren't the right one to talk to you about this, but a big part of it was going to the Red Carpet and this year our Red Carpet experience. Oh yeah, you would describe.
Speaker 3: It as chaotic, overwhelming.
Speaker 1: Humbling, humbling.
Speaker 3: You know what I should have led with? Humbling.
Speaker 2: Yes, I came out of there, I go, well, not that I didn't know my place in the world, but I've just been just it's been reinforced.
Speaker 1: Okay, reinforced.
Speaker 2: Right, So we got So there was a long line of folks waiting to walk the Red carpet, and you wait, yeah, and you wait for you know, they've got a little whiteboard with your names on it, so folks know that you're coming. And then if someone more important comes from behind you, they will literally push you to the side and.
Speaker 3: The more important person comes. Totally get that.
Speaker 2: People who are award recipients, people who are present perform presenting, get it.
Speaker 3: Totally get it.
Speaker 2: But we had been going through this for quite some time, and then we were the next ones up, and it was like every single who's who of the wrap world just came right and we got pancaked up to the side for twenty minutes while star after star after star just came zooming out.
Speaker 1: And look, when we say star after star, bad money, okay, bad. But I would have gladly stepped out of the way, correct, Glorilla. I would have gladly step back and bowed. In fact, yes, yes, she was coming by. We get all that, but it did. It was funny how it happened with us. This was a This was a longer red carpet then we're used to. You know what, We probably showed up later than we're used to because this is when the stars started coming in last minute to get there so.
Speaker 2: That they have the less significant folks come earlier. Because we're first on the carpet. All the people you really want to see they wait till the end. It's good to be fashionably late, but you want to have people wait to see what you're wearing. So yes, all the early birds who get scheduled early, you know, Okay, yeah, I get it.
Speaker 3: Nobody really cares.
Speaker 2: So we got a little delayed and that then created us being in the swarm of all the significantly more important people and we were pancaked to the side, and we won't make that mistake again.
Speaker 1: No, that was fun to see that again. Sabin got to be when your kid gets to be that close to a superstar, folks, she loves like that. That was just a fun moment. We will always have that story. We made our way around this long red carpet I'm trying to think of.
Speaker 3: It was like a U shape almost, Yeah.
Speaker 1: And we got pancaked again, the most crowded red carpet I've ever seen. Someone said, hey, you guys, just hang tight, like where the hell are the clothes go?
Speaker 2: Yeah, we were like awkward, you know, so we meandered down the red carpet. We did do a couple of interviews, which was fun.
Speaker 1: That was good. We finally make it to the seats. We had to rush. Now, this was a highlight and I wish I knew his name because we would love to say thank you to this usher because he was so apologetic. You need help with your tickets getting down there. We're on the floor and we go to one side and we hand him the ticket and he says, oh, actually, you need to be over there on the other side. So he has to walk us down to the front.
Speaker 2: Row where all the really really big VIPs are all sitting.
Speaker 1: So we walked right in front of every big street all that stuff, and he walks us around, going up the other aisle to our seat, when he stops and says, oops, I am so sorry, guys, it's actually back where we were right. So he takes us and walks us back down and we get another run by every big star.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and who did you stop? And I just kept walking.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was just one of my boys.
Speaker 3: Like, what was his name?
Speaker 2: Again?
Speaker 1: Somebody over? Was that funny? I'm the most random dudes you will ever meet. Yes, I am so random, but yes, we've got to say hi to a couple of people. And again, when you have your twelve year old, when you have your child there and she's getting this experience, I'm just He was so apologetic about taking us to the wrong spot, but not realizing he gave us one of the highlights of the night.
Speaker 2: Oh we got like the most amazing tour And wasn't like we were snooping or looking or spying. We actually were being led right by all of the biggest stars of the evening, so that was fun to see them up close and personal. So yeah, we got back to our seats and then the actual show began.
Speaker 1: Okay, now Billie Eilish opened the show. I don't know what happened. Sure, we'll tell what happened behind the things. Look, this happens oftentimes. It happened last year. They pre tape the first performance you're going to see at home, So Billie Eilish taped her performance, and then that tape performance was supposed to air. She taped it. We all applauded, and then they said, whoops, well guys, we're gonna have to do it live. I don't know what happened.
Speaker 3: We don't know what happened.
Speaker 2: She might not have liked it, she might have wanted to do it slightly differently.
Speaker 3: Who knows.
Speaker 2: But that did happen, and hey, it makes it a little bit more exciting because now anything.
Speaker 3: Can happen, truly.
Speaker 1: But we had to see her twice.
Speaker 3: That was pretty cool.
Speaker 1: Somebody asked us on the Red Car, but what are you looking forward to most, and my answer was ll cool. J just old school like that.
Speaker 2: You know, just hearing his voice talking about bringing you back like you're just like, oh man, it's like a warm blanket. I feel like That's how I would describe ll Cool Jay's voice and just demeanor. He was great, He was perfect, and he was dressed appropriately and all green for Saint Patrick's Day Easton.
Speaker 1: Did you catch that too? She said? Another man's voice is like a warm blanket. I'm not really sure what to do with that. You caught it, right, you heard it? Okay, all right? She has the headphones on, so he heard that clearly.
Speaker 3: But he does have a good voice.
Speaker 1: He has a great voice. But another man's voice is a warm blanket to you. Wow, I would hate to see what his ELL's warm blankets are to you.
Speaker 2: Oh man, you know what, Sometimes I think I'm just sitting next to my friend and colleague T. J.
Speaker 3: Holmes.
Speaker 1: But yeah, years back, we're different now. The show, Nellie was very early on. This was a sweet, sweet moment. Ashanti, his wife, got up on stage and she's making it making a presentation. We knew he was coming up next, he didn't know she was going to be the one presenting. And it's kind of simple and funny, and it's like, really he fell for that. Her excuse for why how she was able to fool him? She went, she says, she went to the bathroom.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she She was adorable and she kept going, my man, that's my man.
Speaker 3: It was really really cute.
Speaker 2: And then at the end, you know, just seeing her actually give him the award, you could they were laughing and hugging.
Speaker 3: It was I loved seeing that.
Speaker 2: Mom.
Speaker 3: Was he the first performance of the night, well after Billie Eilish?
Speaker 2: Right? Oh? Yes, okay, I mean we already established she performed, But yes, I think he was the next performer, high.
Speaker 1: High bar and I love the flames they had when we did not care. At the end, he was at metle his best stuff. Nelly, that music will be with me forever, I know, eighty five still saying it's hot in here.
Speaker 3: And you know what was funny.
Speaker 2: We obviously knew all the words because we heard it the first time around. I looked over it to mean she knew them too, and I was thinking, are you seeing your daughter?
Speaker 3: It's getting hot in here?
Speaker 1: I don't mind was singing that one. I get more concerned when she's wrapping everything. She's singing.
Speaker 3: She's wrapping every lyric Kendrick Lamar. Yeah, so I wonder where she's heard that music.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah. Continuing on with the evening, I'm trying to think after Nelly, I'm trying to think of the performances.
Speaker 2: I go ahead, Well, I was going to say one that you were holding your breath on when Mariah Carey won her Icon Award. Then now you've got two other artists coming up to sing Mariah Carey in front of Mariah Carey.
Speaker 1: I was like, bless you all's heart, that's exactly what you said. Were scared to death for them, and they crushed It was incredible. They crushed it. They both of the songs everybody loves, though they owned. I cannot believe that anybody would attempt to sing beloved, beloved Mariah Carey songs.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I know, always be My Baby. I mean that she Oh, how she ended that song was remarkable. So I was impressed, and you could tell Mariah was too. And that was for me, like that was a really fun moment that also took me back. Her music is absolutely a huge part of my growing up.
Speaker 1: Mariah Carey, well, the dress tonight and the lighting she made two jokes.
Speaker 3: Yes, so the dress was you know that's Mariah Carey. She's going to go all in.
Speaker 2: But she had a very difficult time walking up the steps and needed some help from all cool Jay.
Speaker 3: I believe he was.
Speaker 2: He was quite the gentleman and helped her get up to the steps. But yes, then the lighting, but yes, she was cracking some jokes.
Speaker 1: Do you like this is a different show in that you're not you don't have nominees, and then you're waiting to see who wins. These are all predetermined by fans and radio play and all that. So the speeches are canned as sounds insulting, but it written in the prompter that they're actually reading. How do you feel watching this show versus a more traditional show where their nominees and you're finding out who's winning.
Speaker 2: Well, it's more polished, and I do appreciate the fact. I would even think as an artist that you actually don't get so caught up in the moment, which can be fun for us viewers on television whatever to be watching someone might maybe not saying what they meant to say, or being overly emotional when they haven't prepared. It's actually heartfelt and sweet.
Speaker 3: I don't know. I felt like there was a lot of.
Speaker 2: Just point moments where maybe if you are just reacting in the moment, you forget things or and it can be fun and exciting.
Speaker 3: So there's good and bad. But I thought it was it was like I liked watching all.
Speaker 2: Of the pre produced vignettes of just taking us back and telling the story of their careers and how they came up. Even if you know them, it's fun to remember the different moments in their careers.
Speaker 3: I liked It's it's different, but.
Speaker 1: I like it till you're born. About the videos that were produced. They are great going through some of their careers, like a Gaga, Mariah Carey, this is beyond successful, this is beyond fame, this is beyond artistrial. These folks are at a level. Yeah. And Lady Gaga was saying it tonight like she's over over the hill pop star at thirty.
Speaker 3: Eight, late thirties.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, thirty eight years old and what she is. To go back and look at her career now, I have more respect now for the I've been listening to their music, but I want to go back and listen to Gaga albums. I want to go back and listen to everything Nelly ever put out. After being in that room tonight, it was.
Speaker 2: Really cool to see them and and I love that Lady Gaga made the very valid point that she's like I have just begotten, like I am just beginning, and it was just I thought it was really inspirational and I thought she actually had a phenomenal speech.
Speaker 1: And her speech I found it. I was talking to you ahead of time about this. This was the line of the night that really jumped out of me, and it was from her speech. Innovation isn't about breaking rules, It's about writing your own and convincing the world. They were there as all along. That was my favorite lounge yeah of the night.
Speaker 2: I'm a huge, huge Gaga fan, and I know that I would call myself a little monster, but she's just a class act and there's the talent that woman has. To go back and see what she did and all the different iterations in the artistry and the costumes and just just the whole package.
Speaker 3: I think she's amazing.
Speaker 1: I had no idea. Billie Eilish and Grace Abrams came up together. They were talking when Eilish came up and said that was a cute moment too, to see these essentially kids almost still kids.
Speaker 3: They are still cool.
Speaker 1: We talking about at fifteen years old meeting and sending each other songs. I had no idea about that backstory. To see them on an internet they're ruling the international stage in music. That's incredible.
Speaker 2: It was really fun to see. It was also fun to see it through Sybeine's eyes. I liked, you know, it's so cool to see the impact that these young artists are having on your daughter and so many different generations, and they're paying homage.
Speaker 3: To I have to say, we saw Billy Idle. That was a crazy thing.
Speaker 2: I forgot to mention this in the Red carpet, But to see, you know, the greats that we grew up watching celebrating all the new and that's what I love about music because really it's so inclusive and it's not offensive for somebody to say you were my idol, or I grew up thinking about you, or you know, listening to your music and making it my own. So I just I thought it was a fun, inclusive night and I loved watching that. But yeah, Billy Idol, that was a fun moment.
Speaker 1: We were just we were very close to them, made eye contact. I just said hello.
Speaker 3: I didn't recognize him.
Speaker 1: I left.
Speaker 2: I knew he was important, and I knew that I should have known him, but I didn't recognize him in the moment. And then when he got up on stage, I was like, oh my god, that was Billie Idol. Of course it was. I did because I saw he was looking at you, he was looking at me, and I knew that I knew him, but I didn't know. Oh my gosh. But yeah, yeah that was fun. Oh yes, and they were cute up on stage.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, that wasn't you know, Joe. That was a very fun comedy.
Speaker 3: Well written in the night, very well usual.
Speaker 1: You assume it was him and GLAZERNI Glazer.
Speaker 3: No, she was great.
Speaker 1: She was great, And again this is her thing. She should be at every award show. They should have her on telling jokes. She has figured this thing out.
Speaker 3: She really has. She sold it.
Speaker 2: She was great introducing Taylor Swift, and she was quick on her feet and yeah, just nailed all her jokes. And again I don't think she's she did what we saw Conan do at the Oscars. She's funny, but almost in a self deprecating way. Never mean, and she had a couple of great I would actually want to listen to it again because she was sliding them in when you barely notice, like, wait, that was Oh, that was really funny what she just said.
Speaker 3: It was so funny.
Speaker 2: I forgot to laugh because I'm just now realizing it was funny three seconds later, exactly exactly. But she was great tonight.
Speaker 1: It is exciting to watch it through a Chile's on a twelve year old and joying music and singing every song. Now, I love that. But then Glorilla comes up. And then when your twelve year old knows every word to.
Speaker 3: That she did, Yeah she did.
Speaker 1: Look that was fun, Gloial That was probably the best energy of the night in the room. Glorilla is a force of fricking nature.
Speaker 2: She is incredible, and it was fun watching her on the red carpet. That was her little boy, right, Oh, I mean he was such a little doll baby, he was. I know that was a lot, all the cameras and the yelling and all of that, but she performed tonight, and I know you were proud.
Speaker 3: The Memphis she was like Memphis, Tennessee.
Speaker 1: I love it again. I grew up with that Memphis sound, eight Ball, MJG three to six Monthfia Memphis Pat, all these guys project patter me, all these guys that I used to have cassette tapes that the sound was terrible because I had to dub it from a friend who dubbed it from a friend who ubbed it from a friend to get the music. That's how music was being passed around.
Speaker 2: Ah.
Speaker 3: I love what she represented tonight.
Speaker 1: You know what, she was my favorite acceptance speech of the night. This is not being critical of others, but she was not scripted and she was just energetic and she was just herself the whole time. I loved it.
Speaker 2: There was a childlike joyce, yes, you know, wasn't there just never lose it? Yeah, because she was kind of like y'all everyone who told me no, everyone who said I couldn't look at me now. It was really cute to see her just celebrate and that. You know, I think sometimes people and everyone is innovative and trying to forge your head, but sometimes people forget to celebrate the winds. She leaned in and she enjoyed it, and I loved.
Speaker 1: Watching that celebrate the winds.
Speaker 2: Yeah, sometimes people forget to do that.
Speaker 1: I'm switching to Billie Eilish here because you made me think of something. Billy Oilis has a lot of wins in her young life, and I'm not suggesting she doesn't appreciate any of them. But to see how comfortable she was on stage, you pointed something out like, wow, she's up here giving an acceptance speech and she's chewing gum.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, I said, look at her. But that was her being her. She wasn't putting on anything.
Speaker 2: She and yet she was chewing a way she played with a little bit and she said, well, her brother Phineas was talking. She was chewing some more like you gotta love that she's up there chewing gum.
Speaker 1: But to the level of comfort or just that. That was a cute moment, and it was cute. That's her brother and he is he's half of her success. I think she argues, yes, but she was going up on stage except the work. She grabbed him like pulled like we no, you're coming up, You're coming up.
Speaker 3: That was great.
Speaker 1: That was great. He dedicated the wind to I think people they work with who lost their homes.
Speaker 3: In the eating fire.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was nice as well. Another nice moment right above us in the balcony the LA Fire Department. They had members that were honored tonight. This was a really, really well done show.
Speaker 2: We had a blast from start to finish, even from the chaotic red carpet, which was fun and cool. It was a different experience to be that up close and personal to yes, the mistaken seat arrangementhere we got to see all the big stars line up and yeah, it was just fun from the bed and then to see all of our iHeart friends. We were able to go with our glam teams. Everybody was all together in the same rooms. We actually did a podcast for I Do Part two, which hopefully everyone will be listening to as well, which was fun.
Speaker 3: So yeah, we just had a blast today.
Speaker 1: And don't forget Tristan Ryan. Oh yeah, we got to hang out with I Forget. Finally we finally got to see them. We love them. Last couple of things I'll hit you with here Kenny Chesney and Jojo Seawak. Where you want to start.
Speaker 2: Let's you know what, Let's start with Jojo and end with Kenny. I think that's the right order. Okay, mmmm uh so, uh so okay. When we had that mistaken Yeah, when we were being when we were being ushered around through all the amazing stars, which we've referenced, when he was taking us to what he thought were our seats, I believe Sabina and I looked at each other.
Speaker 3: And went, oh, no, Jojo Siwah, I didn't see it. It looked like, how did you not see it?
Speaker 2: Really, it looked as though we were going to be seated right behind her.
Speaker 3: What's the big deal? You ask? Well, I hope by.
Speaker 2: Now you've looked at some photos online of what Jojo Siwah was wearing. She had.
Speaker 3: Was it a hat? Headdress? Like headdress? What was it?
Speaker 1: Uh, it's I don't know, maybe a Christmas ornament or I don't know it was it something was dangling in the middle of something.
Speaker 2: There was like a hanging moon I think, spinning or a star an orb Okay, I don't know what it was, but it was about two feet tall. So if you were sitting behind her, I don't know. Okay, wait, we're getting a picture of it now.
Speaker 1: Yeah. If you've ever seen the movie Stargate, so it looks like the Stargates, but there's a Christmas ornament hanging in the middle of that thing, But what's below it? It's a I don't know.
Speaker 2: It also looks like it could be a drinking cap, like if it had a little straw that went into your mouth. It could be like a like a keg of beer that was just being flown into there's.
Speaker 1: The rangest batman mask just over the eyes, and it's it's silver, everything shiny. Okay, we haven't looked up. We apologize what the art was, what she was going for, for what this meant. But if you were sitting behind her, you couldn't see the show.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it wasn't thoughtful to her neighbors.
Speaker 2: No, no, So we were at least Sabine and I were very excited when we realized we were not going to be sitting behind her, but just on the other side of her. So then we had a constant view of it, which was really kind of funny to see out of my side.
Speaker 1: So to me spent half the night trying to zoom in and get a shot so she could send her friends.
Speaker 3: So ridiculous.
Speaker 1: Well, I don't understand art, so how about that. I'll just give it that and she takes a sip.
Speaker 3: That's the kind way to put it. Sure, Okay.
Speaker 2: Now, we wanted to end with actually probably my second favorite moment of the night, which was Kenny Chesney.
Speaker 3: He nailed it. This is a song that's been around for a while.
Speaker 2: I hadn't heard it in a while, and he got the whole audience singing with him.
Speaker 3: You even said it, What a smart man.
Speaker 2: If you want the audience to sing with you, or to get excited or have the energy, put the words to your song behind you.
Speaker 1: It's the song i'd never heard before, and I was singing it before the end, and it is probably my new favorite song, or you knew it before.
Speaker 2: I had heard it before, but I hadn't really actually listened to it often enough to say, oh yeah, I love this one. While he was singing it, while you and I started singing it together, laughing, I love this song.
Speaker 3: I thought to myself. This is going on my run playlist tomorrow.
Speaker 1: Okay, So, but here's the thing.
Speaker 3: The song is seven eight years old, twenty eighteen.
Speaker 1: Twenty eighteen. The song's been out. If y'all don't know it, it's called get Along Ough so good. Okay, So here's the thing about the song. I got the lyrics here. You want to take him or should I?
Speaker 3: You should take them?
Speaker 1: Okay. The chorus goes like this, it's so good, get along on down the road. We've got a long long way to go. Scared to live, scared to die. We ain't perfect, but we try get along while we can always give love the upper hand panel wall, learn to dance, call your mom, buy a boat, drink of beer, sing a song, make a friend. Can't we all get along?
Speaker 3: It's so good.
Speaker 2: It's so good, and I love that it actually is so old and yet brand new to us. And now I'm going to be listening to it on repeat.
Speaker 1: First time ever heard it. But the lyrics, that's so when you say, just chill out, call.
Speaker 3: Your mom, it's not that big of a deal.
Speaker 1: Buy a boat.
Speaker 3: I love your life.
Speaker 2: But there was something about like live your life, like don't don't what was it, don't wait to die?
Speaker 3: Something something about living your life, scared, scared to die?
Speaker 1: Perfect?
Speaker 3: Yeah, exactly, that was words to live by.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: We like to end Morning Run with a quote of the day.
Speaker 2: That for me, those lyrics were the quote of the night, and it's the perfect way to end what really was a perfect day and a perfect night.
Speaker 1: It has been a perfect weekend. Thank you for hanging robe. It's been a lot, and I mean thanks to Sabine for being a good kid skipping school. To her teachers who might be listening. She's got kind of a scratchy throat, so we just want to leave her out for a couple of days, just to kid. That's all. Always appreciate you listening to us. But this is a great We thank iHeart our team, Sidney, Hannah, Hannah, everybody who's been with us, Kendall, Emma and Amy Sugarman who's runing around here like a crazy woman like she always does. We appreciate it.
Speaker 3: But it's been a blast. Thank you, and thank you for listening everybody.
Speaker 1: And thank you Easton Audio Guide that we do we.
Speaker 3: Forget Easton right in front of us, Oh my goodness, and.
Speaker 1: We're going to go discuss this smooth voice that's like a warm blanket to You'll have a go