Speaker 1: Welcome to another edition of the Around the NFL Emergency Podcast. Here in the Chris Westling podcast studio, I'm with my friend a hero, Patrick Claybonn, and uh, we're usually here on Fridays to tape game deviut a fun show. Yeah, Unfortunately we're in the podcast studio for an unfun reason.
Speaker 2: I wish we weren't the exact opposite of an of a fun Friday, because right when I got in, I'm looking up and I'm seeing Taylor on On with the end, and it's like, oh, what's what's the breaking Burrow's done for the year. And I was, you know, considering the way that he reacted after the ball left his hand, and and like you could see, he was an obvious pain. He was kind of dejected for the remainder of the game. It's like, well, this is going to be significant, but to have to have no Joe Burrow for the rest of it, Like, the league is better when not just Joe's playing, but just when we're talking to Joe, when we're hearing Joe's thoughts about football, even the way he handled his season ending Now news conference just highlighted how great it is, how great of a communicator and a person a football player he is, and it's just it sucks.
Speaker 3: It sucks.
Speaker 1: I was talking about it with Emmica, my wife, because I was just leaving the house when this popped, and we were saying the same sort of thing that you do.
Speaker 4: Forget that this whole league, this studio, this.
Speaker 1: Building, everything, like a lot of it is on the backs of like ten quarterback and like if you whittle a town, it's like six or seven, Like they do really matter that much. They add so much to what we do on a week to week basis, and it's such a bummer. And maybe I'm just an optimist for some reason, it didn't occur to me that he would be out for the season. It's the same thing last night when Dan broke the news to me mid podcast and Mark Andrews out for the season. I was like, Oh, I just I never think worst case scenarios, like that'll be a high ankle, or that'll be something. And this is rough because like most teams, the Bengals don't really have a backup plan. We can get into that, but I think we'll just start more on just the big picture Bengals of it all. They're five and five this season, they're zero and three to the division. They're one to five in the conference. They had some issues that I talked about with Dan last night. We don't defensively offensive line in terms of their pass protection.
Speaker 4: We don't need to go too deep into it.
Speaker 1: It's hard to imagine them winning enough games to make the playoffs this year. They play the Steelers, Jaguars, Colts, Vikings, Steelers, Chiefs, Browns, All those teams are in the playoff race. I guess I'm more interested looking at this team right now and that like, can they be competitive in those games? Can they win some of those games? Even if it's not going anywhere? They now matter because they're improving all these potential playoff teams as schedule. The Steelers are kind of lucky here because they missed Joe Burrow to Times.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and ultimately because we saw and Trey Hendrickson really gutted it out last night. He did come up with a sack, but he was clearly playing hurt. And we saw them go through that stretch right whereas Arizona, Seattle and then San Francisco and lose defense played spectacularly, and I guess that's something else we need to look ahead to with regards to twenty twenty four, is if lou Ana Roumo is not the head coach somewhere, because clearly, like losing safeties that played ninety nine and ninety eight percent of the snaps last year has an impact, Right, you're you're not.
Speaker 1: Just sometimes the offseason narrative. Yah, yeah, it's true. I thought it was overblown. Actually, I was like, they'll probably be fine, and last night was a big change. Actually they bench Nick Scotten from Yeah for the first time in that game, and they're.
Speaker 2: Still kind of trying to ultimately figure things out there. But it's so much easier to go in. And obviously it is even dumb to say when oh, yeah, we got Joe and Jamar and t and everything's, you know, worst case scenario, we end up in a shootout and it's it's not looking good like the rest of the way, Like even even after because of the Colts and the Vikings, it's like, where's the where's the spot, Like, where's where's win six coming?
Speaker 1: I think they can be competitive and and I don't want to get into a whole Zach Taylor thing. Me and Dan have gone back and forth about him quite a bit, and I do with my Bengals fans a lot of them or are on my side that like, look, if if you have a quality coach, you can maybe survive the loss of even a franchise quarterback. We're seeing what the Vikings are doing, for instance, right now, and just that they would be competitive in these games. The Steelers aren't some world beaters the Colts. We know what the Vikings are dealing with that maybe they can pick like a coach and a defense and all that talent you said that's still there on offense can maybe pick off a couple of these games, but it's gonna be tough. Jake Browning played fairly well, I thought last night. You know, we checked the PFF grades right before we started. He got a sixty eight. That's pretty good, and that passed the eye test that he didn't do too many things wrong. He made a couple accurate throws, he kind of went through his reads, and I was like, Okay, that was better than the version I saw in the preseason when he had one of the worst training camp battles. Because they played the whole preseason because Burrow is hurt, and I watched most of it for some reason, and him and Simeon couldn't It couldn't have been worse, And I don't know. It got very frustrated with these teams who don't invest in backup quarterbacks and just weirdly don't seem to take that position that seriously. Our friend Chase Daniel was honking about it on Twitter, and I agree with him, Like Teddy was just sitting out there for a while, like these teams that have championship aspirations. I guess you're not winning the championship with Teddy, but you can't tell me that a playoff run wouldn't be a lot more entertaining and be worth it for the fans paying money, and be worth it for T Higgins and Tyler Boyd in a contract. Y're like, like, the next seven weeks matters, even if you're not gonna win a super Bowl, And they got super cheap this offseason and a couple of teams did that, and I just don't get it.
Speaker 3: It doesn't make any sense.
Speaker 2: I mean, the best possible explanation a few years ago was, well, we don't want somebody to come in and the quarterback lose the locker. The Carson Wentz backup situation, and it's like you're worried about somebody's feelings. Like, if the feelings are that much of a concern, maybe the quarterback's not very good.
Speaker 4: Right, No one's worried about Joe Burrow's feelings. He can handle it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Joe will be fine. You've got to you gotta invest at the position.
Speaker 2: And maybe this changes things for twenty twenty four, but everybody's stuck now, Like Tommy DeVito is going to be playing for the rest of the season because like there's there's just no other than pulling somebody off the street.
Speaker 1: Well, Joe Flacco did work out for the Browns, right. You know what's funny is I was thinking, like, is are we in a world where the Bengals are like, damn, they got to Flacco first, or there there's actually like a betting war.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Joe Flacco sweepstakes.
Speaker 4: I mean maybe why not or Matt Ryan or someone.
Speaker 1: I mean part of it is there's just not enough you know, proven quarterbacks in the NFL. But I just think it's an under I don't know, underpaid position. It's kind of crazy to me because like Jamis was available for cheap. Andy Dalton was available for cheap, Baker was available for cheap. Any of these championship level teams or even playoff level teams could have just invested the five six million dollars that it costs, and it's so worth it because it's a weird sport where one position so far outweighs every other position that it's like driving your car without insurance. It just doesn't make any sense because yeah, like Tom Brady could stay healthy for his entire career except for that one year with Matt Castle, and yet I was always supporting Bill Belichick taking Ryan Mallet and Kevin O'Connell and Jacoby Brissett and Jimmy Garoppolo. He just kept doing it like over and over because it totally makes sense. That position so much more important. Why not spend a second or a third on that instead of spending the money on some cornerback that you're gonna cut.
Speaker 4: If you're Bill Belichick in year two.
Speaker 2: I just had a second theory. What if they don't want to answer the questions about the backup?
Speaker 4: Is that's I think that's part of it.
Speaker 2: A two game skid, and then it's like, let's put in Bailey's appy and like it literally never works, but people are going to continue to ask.
Speaker 1: I think that's part of it. In Belichick was one person that didn't care, but I just maybe.
Speaker 3: That's maybe that's why you put him in the final drive.
Speaker 1: My larger point was just like it, it doesn't make any sense that that's not treated financially and draft pick wise as important as you're starting off ball linebacker or even your third edge rusher, whatever money you're picking, or just.
Speaker 2: Or just not unspent money, or just money that's there that's available to spent, and right they just don't spend it.
Speaker 1: That That's just sort of a frustration I've long had, and it's funny with this team in particular because I listened to Paul Daner his podcast with the Athletic and I read his stuff there and this was like story number two behind the safeties all off season was why don't why are backups so bad? Why aren't we investing in backups? So it is a case of first guessing, not second guessing.
Speaker 3: Greg, Where do you get all the time for all these podcasts?
Speaker 1: You listen on one point five speed, you do a lot of stuff around the house, You pick and choose but I've sort of added the team podcast. It's it's good, all right? What else should we talk about the Bengals? They're done for the season. Let's look at the division. I guess quickly the Steelers are just right in.
Speaker 3: A way of the zombie Steelers, right.
Speaker 4: I wouldn't call it.
Speaker 1: Luck because I think they've won these games and that they have a good coaching staff that's figured out a way to do it, and they've gotten a little luck along the way.
Speaker 4: But it is crazy.
Speaker 1: They've been out gained every game in their six and three and now in the last week they've seen both Deshaun Watson and Joe Burrow leave the division. The Ravens are a couple of games ahead, but they're in a weird spot where they're eight and three and the Steelers are six and three.
Speaker 4: That bothers me.
Speaker 1: I know it's only for four days, but like, what are we doing here sport that there's an eight and three and a six and three?
Speaker 4: It's that that bothers me.
Speaker 1: Do you think the Steelers now like they got two games against the Browns, Like, do you think they were a playoff team?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: I think the Steelers, Like why why wouldn't they be other than the fact that the numbers that you mentioned, I mean, you could also make the case that, like Lamar and the Ravens were the best seven and three team of all time before last night. Are considering the way that things have gone statistically for them, it's so hard to continue to win in the way that they have. But while they keep doing it, Like who's to say, because we looked back at last year's vikings and it's like, oh, that was a fraud. Well, like here comes Kevin O'Connell again, right, and so like I know it's cliche and it's like wins and losses are all the matters, but like they keep doing it, and they keep doing it in weird fashion.
Speaker 1: I keep I kept believing at some point they're actually gonna play better. You know, the offense looked a whole lot better. They actually are already since the buy. Kenny Pickett hasn't been he's just kind of been like a below average quarterback, but he's been a below average quarterback that's not going to crush your team. And their offense has been average to better than average because the running games getting going. So I think they're gonna play better. This is a big game this weekend. I'm actually picking the Browns to win this game. A little tease for NFL game debut. People should check that out. We're on reruns throughout the weekend. Even if you don't hear this right away, but I think we're five pm Pacific on Fridays. We're on Sunday mornings before game day. Yeah, Saturdays, it's there.
Speaker 4: We'll do the picks.
Speaker 1: I think the brown like, the Browns are winners here too, because they don't have that Bengals game coming up or anything like that, or they do they finish the season with the Bengals, so like that, there's a difference between these two teams. The Bengals do not have a difference making difference right now. You can say that they can play better because of the personnel they have, but the Browns of the best defense in the league.
Speaker 4: The Bengals are just there.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: It's depressing, man.
Speaker 1: It's like I think about the big picture of it all too and we will wrap up soon.
Speaker 4: We got to get going.
Speaker 1: But I think back to that play in the Super Bowl, the penalty on Logan Wilson, and then certainly what happened with the last drive against the Rams. It's just so hard to get back to that point, and that was a coin flip game. I believe those two teams whereas even a super Bowl as you'll see, and you feel like you have all the time in the world. And they're going to be very good, I think throughout the Joe Burrow era, but this offseason they're going to be a very different team in twenty twenty four than they were in twenty twenty three. Here are some free agents that the Bengals have. DJ Reider, their best interior defensive tackle. What a great free agent signing right there with Trey Hendrickson. Does he get another contract with the team. He's getting a little older. Tyler Boyd is a free agent. T Higgins is a freight free agent. That was part of what made them special, these receivers all together. Jonah Williams, who's played a ton of snaps for them and it has been fine this year at right tackle, is.
Speaker 4: A free agent.
Speaker 1: Shaudobi a woozy who hasn't maybe played up to his previous level coming off a series serious injury.
Speaker 4: He's a free agent.
Speaker 1: Those are as core of five, you know, starters as you could find from this three year run. So it just I just kind of wanted to circle how it's difficult. You need a lot of things to go your way. And Burrows had bad injury luck, the Bengals have had some in general. And they're going to count on Duke Tobin and partly Zach Taylor to come up with like a new version of this Bengals team because they're not going to be the same.
Speaker 2: And people may be tired of us talking about it, but I always have to go back to it that it's really hard to win that one game, right, It's really hard. A lot of stuff has to happen, and then you lose that game or you come up short before that game, you never get a chance to play in it. And we and we make the case about the quality of people's entire careers based on the outcome of that in a story.
Speaker 1: Or even last year, they were so close to being in that game again, you kind of forget about that as a heartbreaking loss, that Chiefs loss.
Speaker 4: They could have.
Speaker 1: Very easily been back in that Super Bowl and won it. And there was nothing separating those two teams to me really either. Just that day the Chiefs were three points better.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and then so like I'm looking at that list of free agents and maybe it's Tyler Boyd, and Tyler Boyd is the odd man out and he's somewhere else and he's no longer around the Boyd Chase Higgins receiving group with Burrow like it deserves to be remembered. And because you know, because you know that there was an incompletion to samaj pron you know, because there was a hedge on on Aaron Donald, it didn't quite get there. Like we have to say that this was group was a failure, but we aren't a failure.
Speaker 4: We don't.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, to hell with that.
Speaker 4: There weren't our own podcasts.
Speaker 1: We're the around the NFL podcast We are the thought leaders Patrick.
Speaker 4: We don't have to say it.
Speaker 1: And but I might as well make predictions here reader chance to come back Boyd, he's probably gone a Woozy, probably gone T franchise tag if I had to guess, but no guarantee. He's and Joan and Williams probably guns or maybe actually they're the team that that does pay him. So I think there's gonna be a lot of changing. And you just feel you said it really well at the top. You feel for Burrow personally. He's had a few injuries now, He's had the a c L had a knee sprain I believe late.
Speaker 4: In the twenty twenty one season.
Speaker 1: Nothing that that kept him out a long time until this calf injury which bothered him. So he's just he's just had bad breaks and you feel for him, you feel for the whole organization and and even the smallest bit for us because.
Speaker 4: We're gonna have like Jake Browning in primetime.
Speaker 3: And it's gonna be annoying.
Speaker 1: U let's wrap the show with more bad news, uh Ian Rappaport as we are taping, this reported just kind of the extent of the Mark Andrews injury, and uh, I believe it's a fractured fibula along with the knee or the let's see what it is, sorry cracked fibula and the ankle ligament injuries. That it makes sense that that he's out for the season, but that still is disappointing because that's a really serious injury. When it's both of those combined, like the broken in a situation like this, you almost root for a broken leg because that's a cleaner recovery and that's something he could be back working pretty early in the offseason. But it makes sense that they so quickly ruled him out for the year because that that is a long time recovery, so he wish wished the best for him too.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and possibly multiple surgeries.
Speaker 2: And you could see it in Lamar's reaction both on the field and after the and after the game that this will significantly impact the chances for Baltimore m because there's plenty of times where Mark is the one, well.
Speaker 4: He's the most important one.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I've been waiting for their passing attack to just be a little more consistent, a little more on the same page. I think we're seeing that with Odell and Bateman, who were kind of the we know what we're getting out as z A Flowers, I think the way they use him makes sense. But those two guys, it's been better and they still have more than enough I believe to go on a Super Bowl run. But that is still a major loss, and the AFC just feels different. The Bills are no lock to make the playoffs, the Bengals are no locked to make the playoffs. The Browns are now playing with the backup, and it absolutely leaves more room for Miami and a surprise team somewhere that we're not even thinking about, whether it's the Chargers or the Colts or heck, the Las Vegas Raiders. I'm not going that far. I'm just saying it does open it. It opens it up a little where if you look at the who's going to make it as the seventh seed and the sixth seed. Before I would have said, well, you at least got to get to ten wins and you might be looking at tie breakers there, and now it's like, okay, ten wins maybe feels a little safer, Maybe you don't need the type of who knows, maybe nine to eight gets involved here because all these teams are closer than they are apart, and with.
Speaker 3: So many common schedules.
Speaker 1: I think nine and eighttimly right, and like I feel more confident today. Jacksonville and Houston both get in, for instance, just because I actually thought they probably were good enough to do so already, and now it's like you just look at the picture, everything changes with the quarterback. It is a bummer, but I'm glad, you know, we do this game debut together, so that we were here to be able to do this today and it didn't wait till the Sunday.
Speaker 4: Yeah recap show.
Speaker 2: Yeah, let's let's do an emergency pod when something awesome happens next time.
Speaker 4: That would that would be fun.
Speaker 1: Until then, we will be back on Sunday, we hope, and we plan for Mark Sssler to be back there. Get better, buddy, and until then, for Patrick Claibond
Speaker 4: Keep it ta