Speaker 1: I can bring institutes. All that's okay, becaus no one here.
Speaker 2: Is welcome all my Fanielle dishals. Just go with it, okay, I think people will dig it. It's time for another teen beat. I am your host, Danielle Fischel, a podcaster, former sitcom star, a TV director, and the unforgettable eighth place celebrity on season thirty four of Dancing with the Stars. More on that soon. This year podcast has me sitting with interesting people who have done interesting things in hopes of diving into their origin story, even the awkward years of childhood, because we all well know where we've been will tell us where we're at and maybe even where we're going. I see it like this, I gave you my childhood. It's time we hear yours. And this week I get to have a conversation with a peer of mine, a fellow professional dancer. We share a passion for the craft. He began professionally dancing at just seven years old part of a now legendary Minnesota ballroom family, and debuted on TV as part of So You Think You Can Dance in twenty thirteen, but his real journey began as part of the Dancing with the Stars Troop in season twenty then as a fan favorite pro in season twenty five. With a past lineup of celebrities that includes Debbie Gibson, Amanda Kluts, Jamie Lynn Spears, Alana mar and Elaine Hendrix. He's always one half of a couple guaranteed to bring the heat, most notably in season twenty eight when he won it all alongside Hannah Brown, and now with the show in an all time fever pitch amongst new spinoffs and fan conventions like July thirty first through August second and Palm Springs. Limited tickets still available at dwts con dot com. The world is my guest's oyster. We share a love for three things, masterful dancing, Emma Slater, and watch us. He is my favorite Jewish dancer since Paula Abdul. Welcome to teen Beat, Alan Burston.
Speaker 3: What an intro. I'm so impressed. I love it, you love it? I love it. Okay, good, I think that's a whole episode. We can actually got there.
Speaker 2: Wrap it up. He's ready to go home.
Speaker 1: How you doing.
Speaker 2: I'm great, so good to see you.
Speaker 3: It's so good to see you.
Speaker 2: I mean, we got to spend quite a bit of time together on tour, which was amazing, But it now it feels like that was a whole lifetime ago.
Speaker 3: I know. I feel like every year it's just like three different lifetimes happen. Yeah, season, the tour.
Speaker 2: And then in between and then in between time.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I know, I feel like our time was so valued.
Speaker 2: It was, it was so valued. Thank you so much for sitting down with me. This is long overdue, and any chance I get to hang out with you, I will take. So we are going to cover a lot today. But I'm always very interested in how our childhoods shaped who we are today. I have always imagined you grew up in like a real Partridge family situation, everyone on a bus traveling state to state, dancing for crowds.
Speaker 3: Am I right? Yeah? You know. I was the youngest of three siblings, and I kind of just followed in the footsteps of my older brother, you know, dancing, I don't. My parents just kind of put us in a studio one day and we're like, hey, you guys are ballroom dancing though. Yeah, and it wasn't very cool in Minnesota, okay, but it turned out pretty cool.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it worked out pretty well, but.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I know. We would travel like in the Midwest a lot, like in a van and go to competitions. How do you know that this is weird? I never told anyone.
Speaker 2: I do my research. Baby, So you started dancing at seven? Your older brother was already immersed kind of No.
Speaker 3: I think we all started together.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, and your parents helped create it by seeking instructors throughout the state and encouraging teachers to come and visit.
Speaker 3: Yes, why you are good.
Speaker 2: What was it like growing up in a house where everyone shared this artistic goal?
Speaker 3: Honestly, I think my parents just saw the passion we had and they're like, we don't know how else to do it, then give them everything that we can. Yeah, and so they were very you know, just driven to help us follow our passions.
Speaker 2: How did they see the passion you had? Were you guys just dancing around the house all the time? Were you watching them?
Speaker 3: I will tell you. I think. So. We're very close with like, oh, I call them our cousins, but it's like my mom's we call her sister, but it's really probably her like first cousin, her first cousin. Okay, but whatever. We would always hang out every weekend, and my brother. They have two children. My one guy is my brother's age and one girl is my sister's age. So they were always like best friends and we and I was always the youngest one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you were the one who was told you got to play the dog when you play house. Exactly, you could be the dog exactly.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: No, but we would always try to stay at each other's houses for like five extra minutes, and we'd be, Oh, we're gonna put on a dance show for you guys, And this is before we even danced. So I think it just kind of fell into place.
Speaker 2: I love that. I remember doing that, by the way, as kids with my cousins who were I had one cousin who's a year older than me and a cousin who's year younger than me, and I was right in the middle. So we the three girls inseparable, and we would always do the same thing, watch our dance, you know. And it's some ridiculous, but absolutely we used In California, we had a pool in the backyard, and so mine would always end. I'd do them in the backyard and they'd always end with a dive into the water, and which at least you have that and to dry off swim exactly, so that that's pretty cool. Your sister Melanie danced as a kid, but she had she had to go become a doctor of pharmacy. Why, I mean, why did she choose to do that? Did you guys make fun of her for being too smart?
Speaker 3: No, she was the only one that was smart enough to go to school. You know. I think me and my brother tried, but we I don't know. I can't explain it. I just I can only speak for myself. I just love performing and connecting and I was not very motivated in school, but I was good at it. I did exactly what I needed to do, so I can.
Speaker 2: Go dance, right, But then when it was over, you were like, I don't need to do that ever again.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm not itching to go back to school, right my mom wants me to?
Speaker 2: But no, Mom, does your brother call with notes after your performances?
Speaker 3: Yes? Yes, so does my mom though really?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, your mom considers herself to be a bit of an expert now, Oh, she for sure is.
Speaker 3: And you know what, it makes sense though, because she's who watches the show. Yeah, you know, and like you want to obviously cater to to professional dancers, but at the end of the day, you want to connect to the audience.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So do you call your mom when you when you find out who your new partner is and then be like, mom, help me, what do you think I should do to appeal to the masses.
Speaker 3: Well, it's really cool when I can call my mom and I'm like, this person's on the show and she's like, no way. You know, she's excited, so it is. It is nice. She'll always tell me she she could have pointed her toes a little bit better, and like.
Speaker 5: Really, come mom, Okay, does she get those ideas just from herself watching as a fan, or does she take what the judges say and then go, yeah, yeah, you know that's right.
Speaker 2: I think maybe she didn't point her toes, you know.
Speaker 3: I think it's she just notices things. She she would watch us compete when we were growing up. She always traveled with us, and so she's got the inside.
Speaker 2: Okay, inflation, she really knows what she's looking at. I know you are also a sports fan, and growing up in Minnesota, you have a plethora of teams to root for. You also have arguably the most robust youth hockey program in the US, and I have run into this problem with my oldest son, who wants to do everything. How do you pick your hobby? You focused on dance, but you're also very well rounded, So I'm wondering how did you navigate that as a kid.
Speaker 3: Honestly, I didn't, you know. I danced. I tried drums for a second, I tried guitar. I feel like my parents were like, you can't get hurt in ballroom dancing. My brother did a little bit more. He played football growing up, but I remember he like hurt his hip, and then my mom was like, no one's ever playing sports again. We're a bubble family exactly. We are just dancing. You can't hurt yourself that bad dancing. You can?
Speaker 2: You can, you can have you hurt yourself pretty bad.
Speaker 3: Would I don't think so.
Speaker 2: If I did, I.
Speaker 3: Probably blacked it out. It's gone. But it's like I like, in my later years, I was like, I wish I played piano, and so I started playing piano, and I'm like, this is way too hard to learn at this age, Like I know so much easier as a kid.
Speaker 2: As a kid, do you have long fingers.
Speaker 3: I've got big hands.
Speaker 2: You do a big hands? Yeah, you have piano hands.
Speaker 3: Yeah, except I think they're too big, so they press multiple keys?
Speaker 2: Got it? And you're like exactly, yeah.
Speaker 3: No, I can do it. It's just I'm a memory kind of guy. It's hard for me to read notes. So I wish I did.
Speaker 2: As a kid, right, I know. I also wish I learned multiple languages as a kid. You speak, I speak Russrussian. You speak Russian and English. Do you remember any particularly embarrassing moments from high school? Or have you also blacked all of those out?
Speaker 3: Also? Those are blacked out? For sure. I was not a popular kid, if you can imagine. Really.
Speaker 2: Do you think it's because of the ballroom?
Speaker 3: Oh? For sure? Okay, And I was just a weird kid.
Speaker 2: What are you like as a kid?
Speaker 3: Well, I started by going to it I from first or from kindergarten until eighth grade. I went to a Jewish private school. Okay, and so like me, I was very like one of my best friends. Still, we went to school there together, and then we went to high school together. We went to a public high school.
Speaker 2: Okay, So you had been very sheltered in a small, private Jewish elementary and junior high and then.
Speaker 3: Were straight into high school.
Speaker 2: Right plopped into a public high school.
Speaker 3: As it was not I was definitely a fish out of water, okay, but it was it was whatever, Like I really found my community in dance and my good friends in school, you know. But by no means it was like cool for dancing.
Speaker 2: Did you go to any high school dances.
Speaker 3: I didn't, not a single one. No, I would have been really cool if I did.
Speaker 2: Wow. Probably not actually have any high school girlfriends.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but like it was again, it was more of like I was always in dance, so.
Speaker 2: Like, so your friends are like dance, okay.
Speaker 3: And we were traveling like at least once or twice a month. Yeah, and so I was like always you know, gone for these like the prom and homecoming. I was always gone, so I never got to go.
Speaker 2: So that's I mean, in some ways, that's really nice because you had a well established community where you shared common interests with these people and you had them consistently. And then school was just kind of the place you went to for education and you had some good friends there, so you weren't like a lone wolf.
Speaker 3: No, it was close, but I had three good friends.
Speaker 2: Okay, I am legally obligated to talk to you about the Mall of America because so were you a frequenter of the Mall of America Mother of America.
Speaker 3: Like growing up, there was a competition that was actually in the Mall of America. So we would go a few like there and then we would ride rides and go dance. And I was like ten years old, so it was like really fun. Yeah, because I don't know if you know this. In All of America, there is like an amusement park.
Speaker 2: Oh, I know, I've been there. I did an autograph signing there as a team. It's the greatest thing ever. I also ate twelve mini Cinnabonds from the mall.
Speaker 3: That's specifical, but.
Speaker 2: I'll always think about it as the Mall of America thing.
Speaker 3: Did you throw up from the twelve Cinnabons? Because that's a lot.
Speaker 2: That's a lot. Actually, I had sex. My mom and I shared a box of twenty so yeah, it's cut that in half a fan and we were hungry.
Speaker 3: Yeah. No, it's I think like when you're there, it's so big and there's so many people that, like, you don't really want to go there to shop I know, how.
Speaker 2: Could you possibly? Also, if you buy something now you're lugging it miles of mall.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so I've been many, many times.
Speaker 2: What would you say is your favorite attraction there?
Speaker 3: So when I was there, it was called Camp Snoopy, the traction place, and there was it was like an axe and I think it was like Paul Blart and Paul Blart he's a Minnesota folk tale I think. But he had like an axe, I think, And there's a ride that was an axe and it would like hold you upside down. It was cool.
Speaker 2: What would the Paul Blart ride be? And that would be really fun to actually, you know what you're not You're not wrong, honestly that I would too. It reminds me kind of like when you can surf in place. Oh could do that with segues. That'd be so fun. Did you ever eat at Hulk Hogan's Pastumania?
Speaker 3: No? I didn't.
Speaker 2: Well, it opened in the food court in nineteen ninety five and it featured items like Hulk ewes and Hulk coroni and cheese. I must have missed that, but it closed less than a year later.
Speaker 3: I wouldn't be surprised. I was born in ninety four, So okay, it would have been very I don't think it was.
Speaker 2: Would never remember. I couldn't chew it got born in ninety four. Get the hell out of here. What did you do for fun in Minnesota as a kid? Did you go to the state Fair?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 3: Yeah, the best?
Speaker 2: It was a very good state It still is.
Speaker 3: I I mean, I feel like if I went there, I'll gain fifteen pounds in the day. You know, No, it's they have the best cookies. There's like a bucket of cookies. You get unlimited milk, and it was delicious. But they have everything on.
Speaker 2: A stick, unlimited milks. You sit there and you sit there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, you said.
Speaker 2: I feel like if I have a bucket, I want to put it on my arm like a cute bag and just eat as I go about.
Speaker 3: I think you do too. You get one for there and one to go.
Speaker 2: Oh great, it's harder to dip the milk on the to go.
Speaker 3: Box, it is. Yeah, you find a way?
Speaker 2: Do you find a way? Okay? Sorry, I'm hungry.
Speaker 3: Listen. I've never said no to good cookies.
Speaker 2: So what did you do for fun? Other than a state fair moment?
Speaker 3: You know? We would dance a lot. That was fun ride my bike. I feel like that was really cool.
Speaker 2: How old were you when you learned how to ride your.
Speaker 3: Bike out the womb?
Speaker 2: Really, you just have no memories where you didn't know how to ride.
Speaker 3: I have no memories not knowing how to ride a bike.
Speaker 2: Really, do you remember learning how to ride? No, it was just like instant, obviously coordinated, I think so.
Speaker 3: I genuinely could not tell you. I remember, I remember putting like the baseball card in the back spokes to make it sound cool sound, but that I don't Yeah, I don't remember learning.
Speaker 2: My seven year old still doesn't know how to ride a bike, but that's because we also don't ever ride bikes. It's a bit of a problem, like he rides bikes anymore. And also we don't have sidewalks yea. And I'm like, I'm sorry, but we're not going to learn in the middle of the street.
Speaker 3: No. And I feel like in Minnesota there's so much more space, exactly.
Speaker 2: But I do feel like I'm a bad parent. If you don't teach your kid how to ride a bike, you.
Speaker 3: Have I mean, he will talk about it in his memory for sure.
Speaker 2: My mom to Panga never taught me to ride a bike is the name of his memoy. He's already working on it. Do you have an opinion? Back to food? This is my favorite. Do you have an opinion on the best juicy lucy in Minneapolis? We have eaten at Mats and the Nook. I don't know if you're not going to like this.
Speaker 3: I don't know what a juicy lucy is.
Speaker 2: Okay, allow me to explain.
Speaker 3: I remember I'm Russian. I did not eat a lot of fast food or restaurants.
Speaker 2: Well, juicy lucy is a hamburger that has the cheese in the middle of the.
Speaker 3: Patty, as opposed to what there is a.
Speaker 2: Juicy lucy cut into it and the cheese oozes out of the mist. And it originated in Minneapolis.
Speaker 3: This should be bigger. I don't know why it's not big enough. It should be bigger.
Speaker 2: It should be bigger. Well, I'll tell you I have been to two places, Matt's and the Nook, both a plus. So next time you're back.
Speaker 3: I don't know how you can go wrong with cheese in a cheese breer. I know, the more cheese the better. Couldn't agree more so the Nook, I'll have to be there.
Speaker 2: So you compete throughout your childhood and you end up as a contestant. So you think you can dance season thirteen in twenty.
Speaker 3: Oh no, so close? Season ten?
Speaker 2: Season ten? Oh you know why because I got twenty thirteen and it's like season ten in twenty third.
Speaker 3: On it, on it, but now you're still on it.
Speaker 2: I'll okay. Jenna Johnson was also on that season You make it to the top twelve, Yes, but now TV is in the equation. Did you love the addition of being on TV through all this?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 3: Absolutely? I think I was nineteen years old. Maybe I just turned nineteen. And you know, my brother was already running the dance studio.
Speaker 2: If you were born in ninety four and it's twenty ten.
Speaker 3: No, twenty thirteen, season ten.
Speaker 2: Oh, season ten?
Speaker 3: Okay, yeah he is.
Speaker 2: I was going to correct you on your mauth. I was like, you were sixteen, got it?
Speaker 3: No? No, I was nineteen, and like I was like, I know, I want to dance. I don't know what it leads to. Obviously dance when the stars is there, so you think he's there. My brother also did the show called Burn the Floor. Huh, And I was like I just want to dance. I want to perform. I don't know what it is. And then last minute I literally got a stand by flight to the audition for so you're thinking you dance. It was in Boston and barely made it in.
Speaker 2: The door is closing and you slid your way in.
Speaker 3: So my brother auditioned earlier and they kind of brought him back. He auditioned with his wife. I don't know if you remember the show, but like, if you audition and you're really good, you go straight to Vegas. And if you're like, oh, we like you, but we want to see you do another round. In the audition, there's like a big dance. They put you with a partner. I had to do that, okay, So I was like crawl, clawing my mind. Yeah, and my brother and his wife obviously I had to do a solo my like they danced together. I dance by myself, and ballroom's very hard by yourself. Yeah, I'll it's also hard. If not by yourself, it's hard.
Speaker 2: It's just hard.
Speaker 3: But so I I.
Speaker 2: Did did you do? What dance? Did you do solo?
Speaker 3: I did a samba?
Speaker 2: I think okay, so you did your own body roll multiple.
Speaker 3: Body multiple body rolls are there, and it was just you know again, it was like I think my mind, Oh I'm young. Whatever happens, happens, I'm gonna try. I really want it, but like whatever.
Speaker 2: Right, I mean that is obvious by fly and standby. Yeah, you're like, let's see if I get on this exactly.
Speaker 3: Like I didn't really believe until we got to Vegas and I was like, Okay, I really want to do this now, like I really think this is going to be something amazing. Me and my brother made it all the way to the end. It was called Green Mile, and it's like before they picked the top twenty okay, and they like brought us in together and like only one of you can make it, you know the drama of course, do you think.
Speaker 2: They manufactured that from the beginning.
Speaker 3: I don't know. I mean, it would have been cool to have two brothers on. Yeah, I know, but I'm assuming they were like, oh, this is gonna be good. Yeah, And you know, they took me, and honestly probably the right choice just because he already had a kid, like he had the studio, like he was a little bit older than now what everyone else was on the show. You know, like I was nineteen and I was the age that everyone wants exactly, but he's a phenomenal dancer, so it was just more like casting casting, you know, and then I was like, Okay, I don't know what I'm doing now, and it was just it was I would say it was an incredible experience. I was very tough on myself, so I didn't enjoy it, oh, you know, and I think a lot of people that go through it are like, I have to do the best otherwise my career is over. And then you finish and you're like, oh, I wish I would have enjoyed that a little bit more. Yeah, And that's what I do a lot more on Dancing with the Stars now, is like enjoy it, yeah, because it is. It is tough. You've been through it. It's stressful, but it is one of the most remarkable and beautiful and uplifting shows there is, and you learn so much about yourself and.
Speaker 2: Also as just a personality and a person. Life is so much more enjoyable when we can just take a deep breath and laugh at our like laughter makes everything feel better. If we're taking it too seriously and judging ourselves too harshly. That's those are not enjoyable days. You know, we're all going to have them, and we're all going to have moments where we go, Man, I'm bummed with myself. I stayed up too late, I didn't show up as well as I could have. I didn't push myself as hard as I needed to. I'm disappointed in myself, but like as a whole to like enjoy the process.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's the best thing you can do.
Speaker 2: Especially, like you said, when your entire year ends up feeling like three stages of life. One of them is the season while it's going, which is you know four months, Yeah, between all the weeks of the show and then the weeks where you start to get to rehearse before it's really looking at four months, and then a four month tour. If you're being hard on yourself through all of that, you're being hard on yourself through two thirds of your life.
Speaker 3: Yeah. And you you know, again, if you are just looking for the result of things, you miss the beauty of it, you know. And I think the season, you know, even last season for example, everyone that was a part of it, I feel like one yeah, you know, everyone left the show either feeling better, doing new opportunities.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 3: Even if you didn't win the show, there's so many beautiful outcomes that came from it, yep, that it's like just being a part of it and enjoying it is winning.
Speaker 2: Couldn't agree with you more two years later than after, So I think you can dance. You joined the troop of Dancing with the Stars, Yes, thrown right into it. Do you remember your first impressions of this insane, beautiful universe?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I actually remember vividly. So I was doing some little dance tour. They were like, hey, do you want to audition for the show. It'll be like a little interview, and I was like absolutely absolutely. I flew back to LA because I was traveling. I don't remember where I was, did this like audition and I was like like, this is my dream, Like I really want to be on Dancing with the Stars. Some time goes by, like maybe a few weeks. I was actually a dancer on Glee at the time. Yes, And I remember being on set for Glee and like getting a call and it was like, Hey, you're gonna be on Dancing with the Stars. You're gonna be on Troop. And I was like Oh my god, this is the best thing in the world.
Speaker 2: I mean, all your dreams coming true on set of Glee truly like dreams come true.
Speaker 3: And I was like, being on the show is like the dream come true. You know, I'm just so happy. And then it's like okay. Then so I was on Troop and then it was like, Okay, the next dream is to be a pro. I mean, I will say being on Troop was the best thing because you learn so much. It's really hard to just go in as a pro, not really knowing what you're doing. It's your first time. It's the celebrities first time. When you're on troop, you get to see it firsthand, you get to experience it. I stepped in a few times as Troop, so I got that firsthand experience.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And it was just mean to replace a pro.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So I think first it happened with Mark Yeah, he got he got injured, and I danced with Page and then in season twenty four Max got injured and I stepped in with Heather Morris for like three weeks maybe, yeah, and like I had to choreograph my own.
Speaker 2: Dances and everything and good experience.
Speaker 3: So great, and Heather was unbelievable. Yeah, so it was like, just go out and do it and you don't have to worry about like her freaking out because she's such a such a pro. Yeah, so I got so lucky. And again, I think the Troop helps build you as a pro.
Speaker 2: I know. I really also think that it would really benefit the Troop to be able to let them sit in on some of the rehearsals yet, because they I mean obviously they're so busy too. They're all they're doing dances all throughout the week and everything, but they usually just get to see the day of the camera blocking.
Speaker 3: Yeah. And in the past, like when I was Troop, I was helping a lot of the celeb a lot of the pros choreographing and being in the room, So back then it was more like that. Yeah. I think because of COVID, they like really made sure no one was in the room and then it kind of just stuck.
Speaker 2: Like that, because that would be so helpful to see the way the pros talk to their celebrities, to see the way they teach. I mean, that's teaching is a whole skill set on its own. You could be the best dancer in the entire world and not know the first thing about teaching.
Speaker 3: And that's I think what is so special about the pros on the show. They're also talented. They have to be incredible dancers, yep, they have to be incredible choreographers, and they have to be incredible teachers. Yeah, and therapist. So you can mind though, but it's you know, it is, it's so much. It's multifaceted. Yes it is, and so yeah, you can get the best dancer, but if they don't know how to teach, then then the celebrities out of luck.
Speaker 2: You're also forgetting personalities themselves.
Speaker 3: It's a lot.
Speaker 2: It's yeah, you guys are I mean talk about we say triple threat, but you talk about you guys have to have like a bion.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: Well, good news. You were promoted in season twenty five with Debbie Gibson as your first celebrity. What was the biggest lesson you took away from your first season.
Speaker 3: I think the biggest thing I realized was like the pressure. So when in season twenty four when I was with Heather, there wasn't really any pressure because I wasn't her main partner, right, and then when it was like okay, now you have a main partner you are. Basically it's not as a pro, it's not my season. Yeah, you know, at most it's our season, but mainly it's it's my celebrity season. You know. I want to make sure my celebrity has the absolute best season. Yeah. And so that is something that I learned right away. I was like, this is not about me, right, you know. And Debbie was the sweetest person out She's wonderful. Yeah, she's the best.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: And so that was a great first season. But the pressure of like, oh, this is fully on me now, that's what I realized, And I was like, all right, now I know how to really you know, not let the pressure get to me and trust myself more.
Speaker 2: Well, just a few years later, you win a Lenn Goodman Mirror Ball Trophy with Bachelorette star Hannah Brown. Yes, I mean, what a rapid rise to the very top. Why do you think that partnership worked so well? And what was it about that season that you think got you guys to the end.
Speaker 3: Honestly, so many things. It's not one thing. You know, she just came off the Bachelorette. She was the most popular thing on television. She's incredible and she worked really really hard, you know, and she was very real and I think people saw that and people loved her being real. I think at the end of the day, in order for anyone to make it to the end, they just have to care. Yeah, you know, no matter what, like whether you care for yourself or for for your mom or for it, you just have to care. You have to show up and you have to do it right. And then if you're lucky enough and it clicks, then it's you know, it just it's magic.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it is. It does feel like the kind of thing that is a perfect recipe that it's really hard, Like there's so many elements that have to fall into the right place at the right time in order for the magic to happen. Yeah, it gets you to the end and then to eventually win.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I think everyone's journey is different. Yeah, and like every season, yeah, there might be like a oh I think this person might win, but that changes yep every time. I will say, right before I did when I won with Hannah. First, we did something called Dancing with the Stars Juniors, Oh huh, and I had the sweetest girl, Sky Brown, and we won there. So it was like, yeah, it was. I started to like realize more.
Speaker 2: You do well with people who have the last name Brown.
Speaker 3: Exactly two wins, two wins with.
Speaker 2: The name Brown. That works for you, No, yeah, okay.
Speaker 3: But also it's just like when people are genuine in themselves, it resonates a lot more.
Speaker 2: Yeah, people can pick up on that, they can smell in authenticity.
Speaker 3: And it's not just with the celebrities. It's with the partnership, it's with the pros. Like people can see us more than I think people they realize. Yeah, And so like when people are there just to enjoy it and have passion and purpose, it goes a long way.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well, here we are in a complete renaissance for the show the now Emmy nominated season thirty four.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I have to say, this is the first year in many years that it's Emmy nominated, and it's the first year you've been on it.
Speaker 2: Oh oh, okay, it's me. You think it's me. It's gotta be the I'm the missing link. Well listen, I'll take it. I mean it was Season thirty four was above and beyond. I think what anybody could have imagined for the show. You were paired with the Great Elaine Hendrix in the sixth most watched TV show of the year. Wow, Now is life different for Alan Burston? Now, what is your visibility?
Speaker 1: Like?
Speaker 2: Are you getting stopped everywhere? Because I hear from friends. It's how I knew you were in my neighborhood not that long ago, because I was at a basketball game for my son this past Saturday and a girlfriend of mine said to me, oh, I saw Alan. Alan was walking into Polo checks this past weekend. I said, well, I'm gonna have to ask him, what do you was picking up?
Speaker 3: You know what? It's It's so funny. I feel like right when I won, yep, I went like on a run like a few like a week later and like some congrats Alan just on the show, and I was like, that's pretty cool. But you know, it's been like whatever, nothing crazy. I feel like the last two years when I was partner with Alona mar Yes, I was walking down Larchmont and everyone, like construction workers were like you, Alan, You're so good.
Speaker 2: I'm like, that's so cute that is going on.
Speaker 3: Over here, you know. But it was really just like the show did have this resurgence, and whether it's social media or or whatever it is, it is just so awesome to be a part of. That's not the focus, but it's it's definitely cool to see that recognition and like, if anyone stops me, I will gladly take a photo with them.
Speaker 2: I know you're always so.
Speaker 3: I literally went for a run yesterday and I run on Melrose a lot, and like a group of girls were.
Speaker 2: Like, yeah, did you stop your run?
Speaker 3: I didn't finishing, but I definitely said hi, and then they messaged.
Speaker 2: As you mentioned, a lot of the popularity has to be thanks to social media. The show is a TikTok phenomenon, and for the pros it is like you take on a second full time job during the season. Your season with Elana, you two were incredible online. How important is the social media game now? Do you think to going far in the competition?
Speaker 3: Let me start with this. I felt when I was with Amanda Clutes, I think it was season thirty, we made a big effort of like social media, and I look back and we posted one TikTok a week and I was like, that's a big effort.
Speaker 2: Like you felt like you were like, wow, we're really folks.
Speaker 3: I think we went live on Instagram and TikTok every camera blocking day and then we posted like one TikTok a week, and I was like, we're doing so much, like more than everyone.
Speaker 2: Else flooding the season.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and then I'm like, oh, with Alona we did like three videos a day.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, what the hell did you have time?
Speaker 3: You know? So I think it was also very easy. So like with Ilona, we didn't do a lot of dance trends. We kind of just did quick personalities videos, funny things. I really learned that season of like, just post whatever you want. Don't be precious. If it doesn't do well, who cares? Just post and be a good person, you know. And I think what really resonated was, especially with Alona, it was it showed our partnership and it gave an avenue outside of just the show. You know, you get your minut and a half dance, your minute and a half package and whatever questions are in the skybox with Julianne all week. You know, that's five minutes maximum. And social media now gives you a platform to talk about your partnership, talk about struggles, talk about what's going good, you know, having fun and just showing that partnership even more, And to me, I think that's the most important thing. Yeah, it's not your celebrity and you trying to get the most vote. It's like, how can you showcase your partnership? Yeah, and it's a lot easier when you actually like each other.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I can't even imagine what a season would have been like if Pasha and I did not get a lot. I really like, what a you? I mean, to wake up every day and be so excited to see your partner and work with your partner is such a blessing to wake up and like dread it.
Speaker 3: That's why it's not like when it goes well, it's not hard, it's not work. The hard part is obviously learning dances and choreographing and all that. But like being in the studio, when time flies it's fun.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly, when you're like, how have we already been here for four hours?
Speaker 3: So even though it is four hours a day, when it's fun, it's like, give me four more.
Speaker 2: Well, now you have added pressure because your girlfriend, also, my love, Emma Slater, is the world's greatest social media guru. You bounce ideas off of her.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, always I'm always First of all, I'm she's so eloquent with her words and I'm not so I'm like, hey, does this capture make sense? Like do I sound like an idiot? And she helps because I'm not. I'm so just like lah, yeah, like almost like a caveman, like I'll just say things and they're like what I read about? Like what this doesn't make any sense? But I'm just like I'm the type that I'm like, I'm excited to post something, I'm just gonna post it. And I think she's very just so she's so smart.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she really is. Do you have if you think about your any of your seasons, do you have like one post that you think of as being like, oh, that's my favorite post I've done.
Speaker 3: Yes, actually, okay, it's with Ilona. We did like a package before one of our dances was the Jive. It was rock and roll Night and we did like, uh, we were in the gym and we did a whole package for the show, and then afterwards we filmed a TikTok of like partners doing everything together and we just did a bunch of workouts together and it went so viral that they put that in the package. Really yeah, and it was like, I mean, for for weeks people were just copying it and it was just so like we didn't even think about it. It was just like so just like, hey, let's do this quick video and it was so fun and it was just like partners doing everything together. That's so cute and so like that was a really fun video.
Speaker 2: So talking about last season, we all remember Elaine's injury on Halloween night. I remember seeing your sad face up there. I do that to me and I felt so bad for you. Were you sure you were going home?
Speaker 3: I mean there was It was twofold. That was like, Wow, they're really going to send me home by myself. Elaine doesn't get eliminated, no, but I I part of me was like her, Elaine's journey is not done. Yeah, So part of me was very like hopeful and wishful of like this is not that it can't be the end, Like she has so much more, she loves it so much, and so I was very hopeful. But then when they put me in the bottom three, I was like Jesus, what was going on here? And it was Oh, that was very memorable of me just standing there hugging myself everyone's saving, they hug people, and I'm just like, I just wanted to hug someone. But you know that was definitely scary.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you don't know.
Speaker 2: I'll never forget that feeling of those bottom three and how much it catches you off guard. You know it's coming, but you don't think about it throughout the week, and then all of a sudden, you watch everybody dance. You're enjoying everyone's dance. You're like, oh my gosh, that was so incredible, and then it's like, oh it's time. Shit, I forgot this part happens, and it.
Speaker 3: Kind of happens really fast, like maybe not I don't know how happens on TV, but when you're in the audience or when you're in the skybox watching they're like, okay, last an's everyone down, You're like, oh shit, that's exactly it.
Speaker 2: Oay out of nowhere, Like, oh my gosh, I forgot this and it's already here. Here it is.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's honestly, it doesn't get any easier. I've been a pro so many years, so like that's the worst part because it's out of your control. I think, for me, the best thing in what I tell my partners is like, don't stress about it, Yeah, because the more you stress about it during the week, then it's inevitable. No.
Speaker 2: I know there's a part of me that is so grateful that it seems like it comes out of nowhere because it means I wasn't I'm not focused on it at all. I'm just focused on, you know, what I'm doing and working hard and having fun. We are just a few months away. I know I'm season thirty five. We know a few contestants already on the female side. We know Mara Higgins and Sierra Miller. Yes, do either of these possibilities excite you?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Honestly both? Okay. I also feel like anyone who does the show now is going to want to do the show.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exact know.
Speaker 3: They're not doing it just because their agent made them. They're doing it because they love They're either fans of the show, they see how like fun it can be, but they want to do it. And to me, that's like the best thing in a partner exactly, somebody who wants to be there, who is passionate about it, because you can't teach passion. So both Mara and Sierra are great. I feel like They're both very popular on social media, which is a help. They both did Traders. Yeah, I know, so I feel like they know how to play a game. But when Dylan did this season, he was not that he was calculated. That sometimes has a bad connotation, but like he is strategy, He's very strategic.
Speaker 2: Yeah, absolutely, Oh, I know. I was involved in irate.
Speaker 3: Strategy and it's great. You know, I think to a certain extent, you know, I think you don't want to come into the season and plan every little thing. I think the beautiful part about Dancing with the Stars is the spontaneity.
Speaker 2: Of course, exactly, l And I think every week that's actually what resonates more than anything else.
Speaker 3: You know, when somebody has a surprisingly good week and you're like, where did that come from? Right, And that's what is special from that episode, you know. So I think the spontaneity of the show is great. I think they were both on reality TV, so they understand the sharing aspect and I think that's very important as a Yeah, and I'm curious how you were, like, because was this your first stint in reality.
Speaker 2: It was, yeah. I mean, now, granted I had hosted TV, so I was comfortable being myself, but I had never done a reality to the show, so it was my first go at it, and I do remember thinking a couple of times, it's very annoying to be miked all the time.
Speaker 3: You know, there's there's a vulnerability to it, and I think if you embrace that, yeah, it's amazing. If you try to like hide your feelings and the America can't connect to you. And at the end of the day, yes, it's a dance show, but it's it's about connecting and you know, connecting with the audience and showing your true self and letting them learn something about you, because that's what's intriguing, you know, whether you're learning the dance or learning something about yourself. People don't just want to see good dancing from the start and just that's it totally.
Speaker 2: And so it helps to be an authentic person because if you are a reality TV star who is very brand focused and maybe who you are is not necessarily who your brand is, that would be difficult. If you are an authentic person who's willing to show up as yourself warts and all going to you're going to probably have a fan base that's going to relate to you.
Speaker 3: Exactly. Yeah, and I think that's the key of the show totally.
Speaker 2: People need people need to be able to relate to you. If they can't relate to you, what are they voting for? What are they rooting or how do they see themselves in you? Well, we're guaranteed to get a new pro. This is crazy to the competition show for pro.
Speaker 3: Are you watching, No, I'll definitely be watching. I think it's beautiful to see how the show is expanding, you know. I think the show had such success in season thirty four. Yeah, and there's a right way to capitalize on that. And I think, you know, expanding the universe of Dancing with the Stars is the right way. Yeah, you know, I think the fans want more. It's really hard to do two seasons a year. I will not say no to two seasons a year, obviously, but I feel like it's hard to do that, and so this is a nice way to like ease into the new show, into the new season.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think you're right. Well, this will be another instance where a pro is going to burst right into the big show with no troop experience. You were able to soak in the show and learn the process. Do you think being on kind of this fast track to being a pro can hurt the dancer.
Speaker 3: So I think this is the best way to do it without putting somebody on troop is you test them out. You know they're going to have to go through these challenges. You know it is you're being judged by Mark and Shirley, who are both unbelievable yep, you know, plus a third rotating rotating judge, professional Dan, yes, which you know. To me though Mark and Shirley are are incredible choices. You know, Mark is a phenomenal judge, so creative. Shirley is on strictly who is this? She is like the goddess of all right? Yes, you know, so it couldn't have been two better judges yep. And so now you're putting these contestants through a series of these challenges, which I imagine would only help set them up. You know, I think it's only gonna benefit them in the long run. And you know it adds that pressure which comes with the show, which on Troupe there isn't that pressure. Yeah, you know, so that's something that you do have to learn. And the only way you get better as a pro is through experience. You know, no one can tell you a secret. Thing to make you better is just experiencing it for yourself and learning what.
Speaker 2: Works and hopefully having a good connection with your with your celeb Yeah.
Speaker 3: I would say to anyone the biggest thing is make sure it's not about you. It's not about the pro. As a pro, it is our job to make our celebrities feel safe.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: And so that's like, whenever I go into any season, that's my first, which might.
Speaker 2: Be hard in this case. They've had an entire show about them getting cast on the show, and then they have to come in and be like, and it's not about me at all, even though it was just all about me for ten episodes.
Speaker 3: But I think I feel like the people they have on the show are going to.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they know what they're getting into. I'm not letting Alan off that easy. We're dropping a bonus episode this Friday where I get to talk to my ballroom buddy some more and we listen to your embarrassing childhood stories, which I want listeners to send me their awkward tales. Just email a voice memo somewhere between one to two minutes to Teenbeatpod at gmail dot com, and we just might play it on the show. And you can come see me and Alan at the Ultimate DWTS Fan Convention and live show at the end of this month July thirty first to August second in Palm Springs. There are limited tickets still available at dwtscn dot com. Teenbeat is an iHeart podcast produced and hosted by Danielle Fischel. Executive producers Jensencarp and Amy Sugarman, Executive in charge of production Danielle Romo, producer and editor Tara Subosch. The theme song is by Mark Coppis Yes that Mark Cooppus. Follow us on Instagram at teenbeatpod.