Speaker 1: Wine Down with Janet Kramer and I'm Heart Radio podcast.
Speaker 2: This week's Whine About It Thursday Therapy, We've got Rebecca Alvarez coming on. She is one of the most influential intimacy experts with a gift of predicting trends in the intimacy category. She's a boss Babe CEO. She also has a company that she created called Bloomy, which has massage oils and vibrators. So let's get her on and talk all things in the bed.
Speaker 3: Hello, hey girl, Oh my gosh, so nice to meet you.
Speaker 2: Same. I'm Jana. This is Catherine.
Speaker 3: Hi.
Speaker 2: How are you?
Speaker 3: Hi? Good, nice to meet you. So I've heard your last podcast that you were at twenty something weeks? Are you still twenty something weeks? Yes?
Speaker 2: I am in my third trimester.
Speaker 3: Now, okay, yes, exciting congress.
Speaker 2: Almost think yep, thank you. I'm counting down. It's starting to get real for sure. Do you have kids?
Speaker 3: I do have two. I have a four year old and a fifteen year old.
Speaker 2: Oh, okay, there we go. So how long you've been married for?
Speaker 3: Seven years?
Speaker 2: Seven years? Okay, So for you, how is it kind of keeping that intimacy alive in your relationship since you are the intimacy expert.
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh, but that's like such a there's so many parts to it. I was a single mom with my first daughter, and so that was all about like tapping into like what do I want, what do I need? Dating so much under the dating world having partners, and then when I met my husband, it was like blending family and time management and really carving out time to date. Now it's more like how do we carve out time for us consistently? So we have like we have blocks, so like Wednesday date night, or we have one weekend per month where we just get a sitter overnight. We just if we go on a family vacation, we make sure we also block time for us. So it's kind of on a calendar. It may sound not sexy, but the thing I love about it is it happens we get that time because it's like scheduled right sure.
Speaker 2: And I love kind of how you just explain that too, because for a long time, intimacy for me, I thought was just sex. But intimacy is so much more than just having sex with your partner. My fiance and I something that we try to do and we haven't. It hasn't been routine as much, but like something we said, like every day we want to go for at least a twenty minute walk together. So it's something that it's us together. But I've got to be honest with you, we haven't done it like maybe like once every two weeks because things are so busy or things are going on or the kids or this, and it's like, oh, shoot, we forgot our walk today. Well then two weeks later we forgot two weeks of walks. I think that's the hardest piece.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we put stuff on the calendar too. That's the only way.
Speaker 3: I mean.
Speaker 1: It sounds terrible, but like we put walks on calendar. Really yeah, literally we'll put it on there.
Speaker 2: Wow, I mean that's I mean. But it's a great idea though, because it's like if not because we have a die by calendar, like, well, if something's not on there, then.
Speaker 1: I mean I used to schedule sex too on the calendar.
Speaker 3: So it's totally Actually we have we call it the family calendar, but it's just between my husband and I and my assistant, which is hilarious. Now that.
Speaker 1: Please don't add that to the calendar any of the calendars because I can see them all.
Speaker 2: But what you have my A and you have my Alan and Jana calendar now, but I won't add sex. I'll just add the walk.
Speaker 1: Okay, that's fine. I don't need to know when you're having sex, but I do.
Speaker 2: I do really like that because it's you don't think that you'd have to calendar that in. But it just makes sense, no, because I'm like, well, I calendar my workouts in, so that should be something that But I feel like it's even harder with your You've got three kids, you're I mean, you are always on the go with like every activity possible. So it's like, how that's I feel like that's gonna be hard for you and Nick, and especially because they just to like with her story, like they she was gonna file for divorce and then not. So it's like there was a lot of lack of intimacy in their marriage and then there was the honeymoon back together lots of intimacy. So and it's now it's probably back in the like not how it was right, trying to find like your new normal.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, for sure, And it's hard. And I've thought about scheduling all the things we're so busy though, like you said, it is very hard, but we just have to book out, like you know, I mean, that's just you know how we have to do it. But yeah, it's I live and die by a calendar. So I'm like, you know, I had a therapist tell us, you know, I mean, I had a therapist, you know, years ago when we were going through trouble, say, schedule sex, and then I had a lot of different opinions about that, a lot from a lot of people. But I didn't love that either. Though I like scheduling like dace and sex, but.
Speaker 2: I don't like that scheduling. And that's I think I was the unpopular opinion because to me, that makes me feel like like I have.
Speaker 1: To started giving me anxiety. Yeah, anxiety because I would like see it on the calendar and it would like give me you know. So I think we just kind of have to find the like happy medium for us. But I think for everybody it's great too.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the scheduling sex is a big topic. A lot of intimacy experts recommend it. Sometimes experts will ask you to schedule knowing that there will be some anxiety, knowing that there will be self discomfort because all of that comes out, it comes to surface, you have to talk about it, You reshift, and it's almost like it pushes you to create new boundaries. You then say, yeah, the scheduling on Friday night sex gives me anxiety because you learn why, and then you reshift. I prefer, like you said, I prefer the date nights. I prefer the day dates or and then you kind of start to find your middle ground with each of you.
Speaker 1: That's so interesting. I hadn't thought about that. Now I'm kind of like I feel duped a little bit, like you were just trying to get me to talk about my anxiety about sex. Got it?
Speaker 2: Now?
Speaker 1: That makes sense?
Speaker 2: Though, Why do you think people correlate just well? In my brain that sex is just the only form of intimacy.
Speaker 3: I think intimacy is a new concept, to be honest. It was a word that I started using a lot when I started my company because I was trying to broaden sex. I was trying to broaden sex into like the love category, the connection category. So for me, I see that that word has become more like all encompassing and a little bit safer and easy to use, especially if you're advertising and running ads or whatever. You don't you can't use the word sex, right, but intimacy intimate, Like it encompasses so much. Talking can be intimate. Holding someone's hand can be intimate. Sex can be intimate. It could be not intimate. Like there's just so much about it. So it's almost like figuring out what people crave and like what intimacy means to them. It is important. It's kind of like the foundation.
Speaker 2: See, I just never really thought of as anything but sex. Like I remember, I used to be like I want you to be I want you to be intimate with me, and you know, and I just always equaled that as sex. But over time, now I see like how impactful just you know, the moments of you know, my fiancee and I going for when we do walk or because that's we're holding hands, we're connecting, we're breathing in fresh air. Yeah, it's like, yeah, it's such a different conversation than just sitting in the house over our phones watching TV.
Speaker 1: I mean I feel more intimate and more connected with conversation. Yeah, like by far, Like that feels so much more intimate to me, just having like a deep conversation.
Speaker 2: So and you would be surprised that I now feel the same. I love that now I love sex. You're like, don't get me wrong, don't get me wrong. I love having my fancy. It's fantastic. Having said that, I just like it's it's an, it's an and with both of them, like both are needed. It just it's not just the other one was just sex. I didn't care if we spent every day together, like I liked it, but I just I wanted just sex to like fill the intimate void. And now I'm like no, And I think maybe Nick is kind of the same, like maybe he just wanted the sex too, but like no, it's like, as long as you have connection, that's really what's like important. Yeah, the answer both.
Speaker 1: And both of us.
Speaker 2: So, okay, want to shift gears a little bit with this topic. So obviously I'm pregnant and my daughter I skirted around the question because she said, but you're not married, because she thought that when you got married that's when a baby just like forms in the belly. I don't know how she thought that, because we actually have never had the conversation. But then the second time it happened a couple of weeks ago, we were watching Baby Boss. You know how that movie is all about babies being made in a factory. And she looked at she was like she's trying to figure it out. And I could see her like processing, like what's going on. I'm like, okay, here's here, it's coming. So she's like, so waitre do babies come from a factory? Like how are they made? Because she's like but because mommy, you're pregnant and that's not in a factory. And I'm like nope, still not ready to tell you. And I was like, well, yeah, that's just a movie. And you know, yes when you and I couldn't say when you get married. So I was really just trying to find my words. And then I just kind of changed. I was like, God, did it And you know, it's just it just appeared we love each other and love made a baby. And then I just stopped because I was like, I don't know when to say. And I think she's too young right now, she's gonna be eight. But what is your advice? Since you've had both, you know, you have a you have an old and a young.
Speaker 3: You totally got caught in that moment of a child asking you a sex related question and parent feels a little flustered. But that's normal. That's most of us. That's me sometimes too, even with my teenager who purposely tries to stump me. I'll just tell you that, Yeah, the thing about sex education with your kids is when they're little, I would say, up until like preteen, you're actually not even talking about sex itself. You're talking about healthy relationships, about body, about hygiene. It's like the things kind of around intimacy and stuff like that. And I think what you did was great. The focus for kids is usually just answering their question and being kind of general about it and then moving on, but allowing them to have space to ask you questions and trust that you're going to give them an answer. So just because it was embarrassing for us growing up, because you know, I didn't talk about these topics with my family, I think that's common in a lot of households. It doesn't mean that they have to grow up being embarrassed. So we're in this unique position to really change the script for our kids. So the fact that you answered the question I think is great. Good step one for little kids, I would say under ten, really focusing on like healthy relationships. Love. When people love each other, they can decide to expand the family. That's perfect. If they start asking more like anatomy questions, it's up to you, like where you think they're at developmentally, and just like answering pretty briefly works most of the time.
Speaker 2: I heard this thing though, and I don't know if I heard it from you or my therapist, but they were saying eight is too late about you know, learning things because they're on school buses and people just know things so much younger now, and so my fear is I wouldn't want her to hear something on the bus or she says something and then she's made fun of by like an older kid that obviously knows that a penis and vagina and this and that and then makes a baby. So it's like, you'd still recommend going that route. And then have you have you heard the eight is too late thing?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, I've heard it, and I feel again, I feel like it's different with every kid. I have a fourteen year old, eleven and seven, both fourteen and eleven year olds. We had a form of the conversation at nine, but there were reasons around it. With the fourteen year old. He was a boy. We knew friends of his were having conversations about things, so we knew we had to get ahead of it. The eleven year old was the question thing, but it was just one question after another after another, and developmentally, I realized she just knows things, and so I was like, all right, we're going for it. But my seven year old, I don't see that happening. So I just think it's kind of different for everybody. But they will hear stuff, trust me. My eleven year old told me, Yeah, she told me the other day that they her and her best friends, they're the only ones that have already had a conversation out of all their friends from their parents. But everybody knows about it. All their friends know, but we're the only ones that I've talked to him about it.
Speaker 3: My two cents about all of this is I feel like every child needs something different, which is why it's like you can't just like apply lessons one through three for every kid at this exact age. But they will hear things, and they'll usually come to you to clarify or like to see if it's true. So that's why if you give them honest responses, they'll know that you can be a source. Unfortunately, a lot of kids are finding out sex education through porn or through friends, especially if those friends have older siblings. So you being kind of like their home base is always going to feel reassuring to them. And privacy is a concept that comes in like anatomy is a concept that comes in early. That's like a three year old conversation. That is like a you're learning your body. This is your ear, this is your nose, this is your vulva, Like just straight up that's the body. And concepts of privacy are really important to keep kids safe. Right, So no one should ever do a B and C. No one should ever touch your private areas. Only and you list the people only me or Grandma can help to dry you or change you. They will ask you why you can say that's a private area of the body. If anybody ever tries to get you to come into a separate room, that's that's a no go. Like it's kind of scary to talk about these things, but I feel like privacy and safety should definitely be talked about really really early, like elementary early. I agree with that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is speaking of the privacy aspect that this goes like sorry, way off intimacy. But we were at my son's baseball game the other day and or was practice and she's like, mom, I forgot something in the car. And I was like, you know, and she's she's she wants her independence so bad. She keeps asking, mom, can I please ride my bike on the sub you know, by myself? And I'm like, no, honey, not yet. But I'm like I'm trying to give her like pieces where like she can. I'm like, but I will stand way behind, like allan, and I will walk really far behind you so you can still feel like you're by yourself. Just you know, make sure to just do the loop and we'll we'll we'll walk way behind. But at the baseball game, she had said that she, you know, for outmoy car. So I was just like, oh, yeah, here, take my key, go get it. But then when she started walking away, I was just like, I'm going to lose sight of her there, and I'm like, I can't do it. So I just I started I started just like booking it to her. She's like, but Mommy, I want to go by myself, and I go, honey, I have to have eyes on you. I go because when you round that corner right there, this is a parking lot, and I just I got sick to my stomach. I go because if this is when I was like, baby girl, tell me what she want to do? Here it what happens if a van, If a guy pulls up in a van with twelve puppies, what would you do?
Speaker 3: You know what I mean?
Speaker 2: Because in my mind, I'm like, I think you're going to go in the van with the puppies and that man is going to take you and I would never see you know. So I just started to like I got this like sick gut feeling, and I just I mean, I was booking.
Speaker 1: It like I was like.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but that's other thing too, because it's like I just you have to like I was like, oh, I need to have this conversation with your age.
Speaker 1: Have to be early.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's hard.
Speaker 3: I like it. I like I am on the same frequency. I think that your intuition is spot on.
Speaker 2: It's just so it's a but but I also like want to give her her but I'm like, yeah, she's still just too young.
Speaker 1: Like I just like, yeah, I just think it depends and I really do I mean, I'm still having conversations with my fourteen year old, like it's coming up now because they're doing a lot of like youth group stuff and a lot of things that's a lot more really independent, And I'm like, I know we've talked about this, right, but you know, not to be in a room by yourself with an adult, you know, not to you know. I mean, it's like it's a constant, It's a conversation that just keeps going.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, switching tears again. You mentioned porn as an intimacy expert. Is your what is your thoughts on porn in relationships?
Speaker 3: So many thoughts, So it depends on the couple or the partners and the type of porn, and there's, like I want to say, thousands of combinations of this, but overall, I feel like porn can be positive in a relationship if it's serving a healthy purpose. So if, for example, both of you get turned on if you put it on in the background and it helps get you in the mood, I think that's great. If you are supporting like ethical porn producers and certain artists that are known for like creating really quality content that's very realistic. I think that's great. So there's a lot of ways I think that you can absorb porn. But if it's problematic in the sense that one partner watches porn and other partner does not, and it doesn't feel positive, like the one that doesn't feels negatively about it, then I feel like you have to talk about it and address, like why what do you specifically like not feeling good about. I would say most of the time, ninety percent of porn that's on the market is not realistic sex. Though that's my main issue with porn, and there are websites that are doing great things like Afterglow does like really high quality like realistic porn, Make Love not porn has like actual couples that upload their videos. So there are ways to engage in watching porn that is realistic, but the unrealistic porn or the one that's like very one sided or traditional in the sense like male dominating woman, Like if it's a turnof for both people and they enjoy watching it, I think there's nothing wrong with it. But most of the time it's just not realistic sex. And I want people to feel like they can be their true, authentic self and they're enjoying sex with their partner and not feeling like they're performative or like holding back noises or whatever it is that they're trying to mimic from porn.
Speaker 2: M I feel like it takes away the intimacy too personally for me of their relationship and it kind of numbs. Again, this is my own personal that it might numb their relationship if they're going to porn rather than like if you're not watching it together and he's just doing it by himself or whatever, that it might kind of numb the then intimacy with the partner. That's how I've always kind of viewed it.
Speaker 3: But I think a lot of couples that I would work with, the issues would come up with one when one partner really wanted to watch a certain type of porn and the other didn't. So you're right, if it's a tool that helps both of you get in the mood, it can be great. I've also talked to a lot of people that are addicted to porn, and so I feel like there's a lot of levels to it. But overall, I think using it as a mode to get turned on can be healthy as long as it's used in moderation and both people feel good with it.
Speaker 2: Have you ever watched one? Yeah, I just what you're in the spot.
Speaker 1: Sorry, I don't want to talk about.
Speaker 2: This who she's just getting used to This podcast is always like, oh, I can't come today with this.
Speaker 1: Guest sex expert.
Speaker 2: No I'm not here today. Okay, tell us all about your company, bloo Me and everything that listeners can get when Yeah, what the products and all of it.
Speaker 3: Yes. I started Bloomy about five years ago because as I was working with clients during my sexology sessions, people would want their recommendations like Okay, give me the book, give me the lube, like what was the toy you mentioned? So I would send them all of these different links and eventually I just said, let me just create a place where I can curate brands that I love. That then turned into let me develop some of the products that I'm not seeing on the market, And today we say blooe met is a sexologist led intimacy company and the what we focus on our intimacy solutions that help you get in the mood. That's what I specialized in, That's what I love doing. The products their plant based, clean medical grades on the Cone like just super high quality but still accessible price point wise, like usability wise, and then the content is inclusive. We have tons of sexology content on our platform. I'm essentially trying to find a way to scale myself, so instead of just meeting one by one with individuals, like this is a way where people can see like what I'm recommending kind of in a general sense, and then click into the things that they're interested in. We are sold nationwide at Target, so some people are surprised weight you can get toys at Target now you can you can get loubs and toys at Target, so you can check like your local store or even online. Is a really great way to support.
Speaker 2: And I gotta say the prices are great too, because like the play Mini vibrators thirty five dollars, the massage platoral and Body Vibra forty dollars, and then like the oils like twenty from from twelve to twenty bucks is what I see and I mean and I love the color lines look really nice too. I like that this is all really good. So everyone had to blue me dot com that's b Lomi and then question for you because I feel like this happens a lot too in relationships. What if one person is wanting to do something that the other doesn't want to do, and they're caught in the position of, well, I want to please my partner because I don't want them to leave me or do it with someone else, but it kind of goes against what they might feel or want to do, Like what would you what would be your advice? And you know, obviously like yes, talk to the partner, but if it's still like resistance, like what do you suggest?
Speaker 3: M hm? This is a classic, Like we have different no lists. So in sexology concept we usually go through like what are you comfortable with sexually? What are you excited to try that you guys haven't discussed yet? And then what are your hard knows? If somebody has a hard no, usually we say it's off limits, but it is worth discussing why is it off limits? What about it makes you uncomfortable? Because sometimes people are surprised. Like I'll give you an example. A lot of couple's anal is on one person's no list but not on another. And usually the reason it's on someone's no list is because they feel like apprehensive about getting dirty or like having an accident. Basically like having PCs, right, that's what they're worried about. When the other partner can alleviate that worry and say, oh, honey, I don't care, or what if it's just the shower, then it actually moves to the maybe list. So it is important to understand why. But some of these topics might be sensitive, right, like some people have trauma or it's just the nost is a sensitive zone, So be really careful about asking why so if and if you're still like, oh, but I really really love this one thing and you're saying no, can you do it on yourself? Like is it something that you can explore on your own? And are there any other things that are similar that your partner would be open to. Maybe your partner would be open to like rimming, but not anal sex, things like that, find find the middles?
Speaker 2: Have you this is again personal question you don't have to answer killer, you're just going Have you ever asked Nick like what his fantasy is or like what he would like like either like what his fantasy in bed would be or what he would ever want to do with you or as a couple in bed?
Speaker 1: Ish? Yeah, ish, I mean I haven't just said, like, what's your fantasy? But yes, yes, we've discussed that.
Speaker 2: Because I think it's so interesting to see, you know, what someone's because what I would think would be something they'd be like, no, I would never want to do that. It's like oh okay, you know, and just like having that like and then you feel even closer, almost like in right bed too, knowing that like they're not because I always ruminate that maybe they're thinking they want they want more of this or more of that, or they want to be wild with this, when really like he just wants to be super intimate and like you know again like my old school you know, he's very like he's just like no, he's like I don't want the trash talk. And I was like, oh, really, I thought guys love that, and he's like no, he's like I don't like that at all, Like it actually turns me off. And so I was just like, oh okay, So I had to like reprogram my mind to what I thought guys liked and wanted. And then but I was like, that's not so just like being open in that conversation.
Speaker 1: When for yourself, you're just because you thought that's what they want it.
Speaker 2: For sure, I thought like he would like that, and he was just like, by the way, and even he was even the one that said, he's like, I don't I don't like when you say that. I'm like, oh really, I'm sorry. Like he's like, no, no, no, he's I just that's he's like, you're my like woman, and yeah, it's I don't know. He's like, it's more intimate for me. I was like, oh wow, I didn't even like I just assumed all guys just wanted girls to act like plus.
Speaker 3: Like in the bedroom. I you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: I was like a total assumption for my past I you know what I mean. Like, so, I just like my.
Speaker 3: Preferences. They change every person. It's so interesting, like every partner will be completely different, have different preferences. I like, I think it would be really cool for you. And I'm sure a lot of people listening is just do like a quick fire with your partner when you're having a date night. Just I'm just gonna ask you a whole bunch of random things, tell me if you like it or not. And dirty talk should be on that list because you would be surprised when people do not like it. And some people are like, I have to have it, So then again, what's the middle, right, But just go through anything you can think of, and that can be like your quick fire.
Speaker 2: Well I think it's kind of cool too, like for a date night. That kind of is fun to do on a date night because then you're kind of getting.
Speaker 3: Like you're talking about you know what I mean, It's.
Speaker 2: Like you want to hurry up and get home and have fun.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: Rebecca, where can our listeners find you?
Speaker 3: Oh, people can find me. I'm usually very active on Instagram. It's Rebecca Avanis Story. I have a lot of entrepreneur mom stuff on there. And then if you want to find out more about Bloomy, it's the Bloomy dot com and all of the social channels are the same.
Speaker 2: Awesome. Well, thank you so much Rebecca for coming on. This was great.
Speaker 3: Thank you, that was fun. It was great to have.
Speaker 2: Thanks girl, Yes, appreciate you.