Speaker 1: Welcome back, guys, to fund around and find out. It's your girl, Ashanti. And today we have a very special guest. I know we say that all the time, but I really mean it.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: After a legendary career at Stanford, she was the twenty fourteen number one draft pick, Rookie of the Year, and two time WNBA All Star. Now, she's an ESPN analyst and trailblazer in sports media as the first black woman to host a national daily sports radio show and the first active professional athlete to hold a full time national sports broadcasting position while still playing in the league. She also has a new podcast and digital show that just launched in March, Chane Today.
Speaker 2: Welcome chanee o.
Speaker 3: Good Okay, what's up girl? Oh that's so cute. Oh she's in so hard when you were saying all that. And also, legendar girl, you do it a lot, you do it a lot.
Speaker 2: I don't know about legendary. Listen.
Speaker 1: First of all, you're getting all the flowers on this show because listen, there's no me without you. You are a trail blazer, Okay, you are setting the standard. I know every time I tune into a show and I see you there, I see myself and I see other young girls who look like us, So it means so much for real to have you on like you are a dream guest.
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh, I can't even process that. I just got goosebumps. It doesn't feel real to me. I still feel like I'm out to prove so much and I want to represent us so well, and just for you to say that, it takes me back, girl, It takes me back because when I started, it was not like this.
Speaker 2: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: I was a cure.
Speaker 2: I was on the struggle bus. People didn't know how to say my name. Where are we? Hey?
Speaker 3: Hey, but you know what, shout out to glo ups, shout out to glops.
Speaker 2: Okay, I know that's right. Oh man, thanks for having me, Thanks for coming on. Another thing.
Speaker 1: You know. I also want to mention you're Nigerian. I did my twenty three and me I'm also Nigerian from the e Bow. Try hello.
Speaker 2: What's your percentage? Girl? What's your percentage? You know it? Six? See six? You in there, in there, in there and there. At this point, I need a new name.
Speaker 3: Amaka amaca beautiful come on, Amca.
Speaker 1: It just came to me.
Speaker 2: Do you like that? Ashanti am I love that? Okay? Your forever a maka to me from that one.
Speaker 1: Okay, I'm gonna change my Instagram name after we be done with this. But speaking of that, there's a photo that we're gonna have someone send you, because girl, why everyone and their mom been calling me Meka.
Speaker 2: I went to the w n B A draft. We actually saw each other there.
Speaker 1: And they took pictures of me on the orange carpet and this like paper posted me as like one of the you know, most fashionable looks and my name is Necho there.
Speaker 2: First of all, yes, you were most fashionable. I came up to you. I was like, I need that. I need that now.
Speaker 3: One two, what we're doing, there's too many times where we're making this mistake. I just had to go on threads and correct somebody too, and I said put them in jail, like what's going on here?
Speaker 2: It's not that hard.
Speaker 3: But three three, I will say you do favor us to some degree.
Speaker 2: Heavy on that sixty percent.
Speaker 3: Okay, heavy on that sixty Even when you send this picture, I looked.
Speaker 2: I was like, oh, I can sort of see it.
Speaker 3: But first of all, out fit tea hair goodlam amazing, send me the shirt and you my sister from another mister clearly okay, but like, can we do better? Can we like proofread these photos? We used to proofread words. Can we proofread these photos?
Speaker 2: Mind you?
Speaker 1: They ask for my name, They're like, can you say your name into this mic? Like wrote it out everything just for them to call me Neka.
Speaker 2: But you know what, shame? I am shame? You want to get thrown shame? Yes, the walk of shame.
Speaker 3: Hey, we'll take it though, come on, come on, sister number five.
Speaker 1: You heard it here first, y'all, y'all heard it here first. But anyways, thank you, thank you so much. That definitely just made my day. I definitely want to hop into some things that you got going on. And our girl AZ has gone on, so there's a huge announcement. By the time this comes out, it's already out. I want to say congratulations to A Z for signing with Project B. Yay, and this is you know major and you you play a role in Yes, I Project B.
Speaker 4: Tell us more? How are you involved in Project B?
Speaker 2: First of all, congratulations to a Z.
Speaker 3: But I'm also excited to share that I am an advisor to Project me because, as you know, Shanti or Amaka, as you know, basketball love it. Basketball just means so much to me, and being able to share the game globally has been my mission. I know, people see me all over the world. I was just in Rwanda in the middle of the Eastern and Western Conference finals. I've traveled the world. I've played in Italy, I played in China. Did my sister who played in Russia. She's played in Poland, She's played in China as well. And I feel like this is a great opportunity to fill the gap, you know, especially with women's hoops, and to be able to bring the game to so many more fans. So you can add me to the list as an advisor with Candice Parker, Lauren Jackson, Cheryl Miller, Sloan Stevens, who I adore, Novak Djokovic. This is a squad that's really on the ground floor, and so I think it's also important to note because you know, I'm someone that like is very heavy into research.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 3: Yes, my team, I'm sure Asy's team have done extensive research about Project B. We've done our homework, and you know, I think it's important to say that when it comes to the investors and the partners. Project B has maintained because a lot of people have some you know, conversation about like the league and have questions, Project B has maintained that every step of the way, there's no Saudi funding, no Saudi investment, no Saudi ownership, and they are not currently engaged with the group and they haven't worked with them for a couple of years now, and so this is something that we have researched. This is something that we see as a great opportunity for people to grow the game globally, to grow their brands. And if you think about like the standards that we're experiencing right now with the WNBA and so many other leagues, Like the investment is there, and I feel like fans you know, around the world should be able to partake in it. I will probably get into the like the nitty gritty the leads on my show Chiney today. I know this is your show, but like, as you know, I'm very I take the stuff very seriously. So does Azy, So does my sister, so do my former teammates Alyssa Thomas, I know JJ that have all joined. We just like want to see the game continue to grow, and I'm just super grateful. I know that's my spiel. I'm done with my ted talk, but I'm so excited to be an advisor. I'm excited to see a Z join and and just help usher these girls as they make the next these women as they make this next step and this big step in their career.
Speaker 2: That's like my mission. So there you go go, period girl.
Speaker 4: You know ask to seventy six question. I know that's right, Okay.
Speaker 1: I just know I'm super excited to know that you are involved, to see that Easy is involved, especially because I know she loves to travel, that's all she's talking about. Especially she took that trip with Stepha Curry to China to see her fans out there. I mean, the girl loves to chapel and now she gets to travel and play the sport that she loves.
Speaker 2: So I think this is a great opportunity for her.
Speaker 1: And then also her dad played abroad and her mom also wanted to play abroad, but then she had her so it's just like full circle for her. She gets to do all the things that she loves to do, her family gets to be a part of it.
Speaker 4: I just I love it for her.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Also, like I think that's a great point to note because I even remember when Steph took ASY and I was like, first of all, shout out to Steph.
Speaker 2: For making sure, you know, women are front and center.
Speaker 3: Also because that's not a normal experience people see Asia on her tours as well, Like this is still very new for women's basketball, and to see that hype around not just stuff but also like the fans for Asy already, that to me was super cool. And then, like you mentioned, there's so many people that have you know, back this what.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna call hoop OG's like back of my days.
Speaker 3: All the ogs before the WNBA was putting out seven figure deals. You know, we were going overseas and I think a lot of times because we wanted to spend more time at home.
Speaker 2: People thought that we didn't like it being overseas.
Speaker 3: It was grueling, it was hard to play year round, but no one would trade those experience.
Speaker 2: One because we're getting paid really well.
Speaker 3: But two because we got to see the world. I'll never forget. I played in Italy and I opened my back window, which was like terraces, and I just saw what you would think was like, was it Chloe Bailey, No Halle Bailey and reggae, Jan Page, you Me and Tuscany like that was that was what I had.
Speaker 2: That's what I had when I was playing in Italy.
Speaker 3: I went to China, the Hunan Province and we took a team that was relegated the year before that made it to the top. I actually had my career high. And also side note, ate some of the best fried chicken on my life playing in China, girl, Yes, and some of it came from McDonald's McDonald's. I know I got up to an excited question, but my point is, like I ate MCDs, I traveled. I remember being in China and so many people were there. I mean, you had the experience where people I knew I was the first black woman that they saw, you know, in these certain areas. But it also was like this off for women's basketball and I got to experience that. I went to Russia and saw my sister playing Course and they were like a top team. And I remember seeing Mekka when she was playing for Course and I'd go, you know you since you honorary Nigeria. Now they're Nigerians everywhere, and so when Neha joined them, when Naha joined the team in course, Russia, which by the way is very close to Ukraine, and at that time, people were like, hey, there's this like thing brewing.
Speaker 2: It was a little.
Speaker 3: Scary, but still there were people were like so on the weekends, there was a Nigerian community in Russia that came to all of Mecca's games just because Nekka was playing. For course, Like, there's so many cool moments about the game globally that we don't want to miss, and I think like Project B is bringing an opportunity to support these women kind of like in that Grand Prix style, which is like super exciting right now, where you go from city to city and you are treated really well and you know they understand the women that like they're signing up and that they're representing. And so I'm just I'm just glad to like you can tell the passion for the global game is here. For myself, I'm excited for Asy as well, but like it's there are a lot of really good memories overseas as well.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, I had the opportunity to play basketball overseas and I was in Australia, Germany, Czech Republic, and I really think about what I've had those opportunities to travel and see the world in that way, Like it's just really different and I appreciate every moment of it and I would do it again if I had new knees.
Speaker 2: So, so where can we watch the games? You can watch the games on YouTube.
Speaker 3: The entire tour of Project B is accessible via YouTube, so that every fan everywhere can watch. There's no barriers. So I'm so excited that it'll be accessible for everybody.
Speaker 2: Congrats again to a Z. Shout out to her. You know you said the ogs.
Speaker 1: She's one of the first young US based born players to sign with the league.
Speaker 3: So oh yeah, let me tell you az motion motion, I.
Speaker 2: Adore you cannot get exactly you know what.
Speaker 3: I really don't drink. I really don't drink. No, I just like girl, I listen to your show. I've been excited to like join and I just want to say for Azy, like, I am so proud of her. She handled you know, because I cover the game, going to Yukon, the injuries, the highs, the lows, getting to the pinnacle, being a professional, like the grace that she exudes as she's navigating her transition, and also like finding her game, which is found by the way, like it's there, like she's doing her thing. I just I met her mom, I met her brother during the tournament. I think she's just one of a kind. She I love that she is, you know, one of the stars of the league because I think she brings it so much positivity, joy, class and just represents like everything that's good in hoops. So she ain't here, but I gotta say for her people.
Speaker 4: Listen today, thank you so much.
Speaker 1: Thank you so much for saying that, because they love you back one, But also I was gonna say, you always show support, Like I watch you the way you cover the game. I think your feedback is always fair and like positive and awesome. And my question was going to be, like, what about asy resonates with you, like either as a player or as a person, And any advice for our girl that you got in her rookie season.
Speaker 2: I got you, okay.
Speaker 3: So One, it's kind of ironic that I'm wearing this Shady the Stanford hoodie.
Speaker 2: Close your ears.
Speaker 3: I know Yukon is great, but like, the reason why I love Azy is because she reminds me of my teammates. She feels like a Stanford thoroughly. For me, she's a student of the game. She's a great teammate, she's a specialist. One thing that I knew playing for tar vand of Beer Hall of Famer was that she said, whatever you do, do it to the best of your ability.
Speaker 2: For me, I was athletic.
Speaker 3: I could finish, I could run, I could rebound, and I would just go at it moniacally.
Speaker 2: Right. Asy is a phenomenal shooter.
Speaker 3: She has some other she has other skills that are like more underrated because her shooting is so great. And so I think, as she's the type of player that I look at and I'm like, dang, I wish I could have played with her if these knees were different, you know, And that's what I admire. Let me tell you so that as a player, and then also it is not easy to be a number one pick, to be thrown into the fire and a circumstance with a new coach, with a number of players and teammates that are veterans that you know have the ball, and then to be able to go into that circumstance.
Speaker 2: Because when I was drafted.
Speaker 3: Number one, I was in the good my team, we were at the bottom of the league. I knew I was about to play forty minutes a game. I knew I could shoot how many shots I wanted. Girl, we were going through.
Speaker 2: It, you know what I mean. But I was telling you got to go through it to get to it right.
Speaker 3: And so they're different as she has the like anomaly because she's a number one pick going to a good situation and that is so hard to navigate. And one thing I would advise her is like, don't let anyone. Don't make yourself small to make anybody else comfortable. Don't let anyone dim your shine because when she is great, she's the type of player that you win. Everyone else plays better because she's so smart. She doesn't turn over the ball like when she is aggressive. It's a better thing for the team. And so I learned this lesson in a big way. When I left, and I said left, I traded, but I sort of forced my way out of Connecticut to Los Angeles. And when I was there, I was an All Star already. I was so excited as a number one pick. But I was playing with Kandice Parker, I was playing with Mekka, I was playing with Chelsea Gray, and I sort of made myself small mentally because I didn't want to disturb what they had done. They want a championshi up in twenty sixteen, like I want to win a championship Like so, I it was cool coming off the bench, but I think I made myself small to make others comfortable instead of just being like when I'm I know I play the right way, like I know I hustle, I know I can lead, Like, let me take up space. And that's my advice to her, don't be afraid to take up space. And because she's such a pure hooper in all aspects of how she is coachable and how she approaches reads like, so that is my heart to heart sister advice to Azy.
Speaker 2: She already got it though, Like she got it good. She got it good.
Speaker 3: It's just about you know, taking a day by day, possession by possession, and just submitting to the process. And you know, Neck and I always talk about this because she's navigating her own journey as well. It's like when you do things the right way, that is what truly is sustainable, not only for you playing a game, but also for your entire career. And so everything ends up working itself out and I'm sure everything will work out for her.
Speaker 1: Yes, Oh my goodness, girl, I'm feeling motivated.
Speaker 4: Like that is really great advice for real.
Speaker 1: And yeah, like Asy plays the game the right way, Like as he plays the game the right way.
Speaker 4: I love the advice about taking up space.
Speaker 1: Like full stop, full stop and fully who you are in take up space.
Speaker 4: I love that she's gonna love that. Thank you got, y'all.
Speaker 1: So I do want to talk about more of what you got going on. Let's tell us more about today. Okay, thank you so much.
Speaker 3: Today is a new digital show with Omaha and ESPN, and I'm thrilled because, as you know, I'm on my fifty eleven shows. Okay, and it is a lot, but it is a blessing and I don't take these opportunities for granted. My primary responsibility is being on NBA Today every day. Then I'll be on Sports Center. I'll be debating first Take right, stephen A. I'll DONBA Countdown. I used to do NBA Countdown right, So I did a lot of shows and primarily I covered the NBA. But the last four years, you know, I've been waiting for this opportunity, but like finally they free me a little bit, and so I got to go back to covering the W and women's basketball.
Speaker 2: Lord, I was just like, you know, but hey, it all worked.
Speaker 3: Out, and I just started realizing that the same way that you can love what Asia Wilson is doing, or what As is doing, or what Page is doing, or what anybody in the W is doing, is the same way that you could have just followed the New York Knicks and love Jalen Brunson and Ognaobi and victuawebbing Yama. When you're a hoops fan, it all can exist in one conversation. And so that's what I'm trying to create with Shane today because that's my existence.
Speaker 2: One hour, I'm.
Speaker 3: Talking, oh my gosh, what does this mean for the future of the San Antonio Spurs, And the other hour, I'm saying, all right, we've got the New York Liberty taken on the Los Angeles Sparks, right, But whop fans now understand both because like it's been a fight for so long for people to realize like the power, potential reality of what women's basketball players are doing. Like you right, Amaka, But but now I think we're out of playing fields where people like the divide has been bridged and you can be a fan of both. And I think more people are actually loving the w and women's basketball because you know, we got we got storylines, We've got people like playing the right way, Like you can see all aspects of the game, and it's like on the rise. So you're getting in at a time where you're on the rise with these players. And so TOAY Today is a digital show where we bring all of that together. If you're a hoop fan, we talk about all hoops. Everything gets covered, and then of course we talk about you know, some tea likes, you know, so cultural thing, come on, just some fun stuff.
Speaker 1: You have the audience who really want to hear about the stats and the hoops, and then the audience who want to hear about the little bit of the tea like.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like they want to be like, oh did you see did you get to see Jordan Woods clutch?
Speaker 2: I was like, yes, I saw that, And I was like, dank when you drop it?
Speaker 1: Come on, come on she I'm surprised she didn't have them ready to go, like selling them outside of them.
Speaker 3: I would have been I would have been like this, like to my distributors like, can we expedite this ship?
Speaker 2: No, no, no, no no.
Speaker 3: In New York, they already got that clutch on the streets, like, hey, you see the clutch here.
Speaker 2: This is one hundred percent this We'll get into it. But this shirt.
Speaker 1: Why Right after the win, I go outside of the watch party and they're already selling it. Championship. They were ready, they were ready. New York never plays, never play.
Speaker 2: Doesn't miss an opportunity to get a dollar. I respect it.
Speaker 1: Okay, So I'm excited and they can look forward to seeing that twice a week.
Speaker 3: Yes, twice a week on ESPN, on YouTube everywhere. So yeah, check it out today. Subscribe comments like review, I appreciate you all.
Speaker 1: Okay, wait, I do want to know who is your dream guest, Like who do you want to interview? Like you have no it could be dead or alive. It all mattered dream guests number one guests.
Speaker 3: I have my I have my intruth, I have my intrusive thoughts, but I probably should keep my intrusive thoughts away.
Speaker 2: The first thing I said, the.
Speaker 3: Second thought, I'm gonna say my second thought. Okay, but everyone, yeah, okay, we'll do that for the side side. So my my, I think, like what came to my mind was Beyonce. I'm from Houston, you know, so like literally when I blinked close my eyes, I saw Beyonce.
Speaker 2: I would love to learn.
Speaker 3: From her, her work, ethic, her path, like her decision making all these things. Beyonce, by far is probably number one. I'm trying to think of who else, but yeah, Beyonce is the person I want to interview.
Speaker 2: Yeah, for sure, that's a good one. Girl.
Speaker 1: That's pretty hard to top. Honestly, Beyonce, if you hear this, please come on this show too. Yeah, we can do a home at home please, I pray it right now.
Speaker 2: Oh my goodness.
Speaker 1: Okay, so we did tap on a little bit. You have a lot going on, you have your show coming out, doing the NBA Finals. I mean, as someone who has watched you and supported your career for many years and also another woman in sport, I want to know more about, like what life is like for you, like on the road traveling, krying of make these different shows different.
Speaker 2: You know, you got to cover so much.
Speaker 1: You're in New York, one day, you're in la and another day you're in Africa.
Speaker 4: The next day, so like tell us what that's like.
Speaker 3: Thank you so much for this question, because it feels like a wellness check and people that ask this I appreciate because it feels like they care about Chinee the person and not Chaney like who they see on air, and so I get to sort of share what my day to day is.
Speaker 2: Whoo, so should we?
Speaker 3: I'm going to put in the context of probably the past three weeks.
Speaker 2: To be honest, from.
Speaker 3: February to now, I probably haven't been at my place here in LA for more than two nights in a row.
Speaker 2: That's how crazy the grind is.
Speaker 3: Because February we have Women's College Game Day, so we're leading into these big games. March we have the tournament. April we have the tournament that leads into the WNBA Draft. May starts the NBA playoffs, and then we go on the road for the Eastern or Western Conference finals and the NBA Finals. And then I'm also an ambassador for the Basketball Africa League, which I love and adore. As you know, I'm a Nija girl, best of the both worlds. I always tell people, you know, born and raised in Houston, Texas, but with Nigerian blood, American opportunities have helped transform me. But the Nigerian spirit of determination, African spirit, that essence has helped me like stay motivated and has changed my perspective on so much. But yeah, Drop popped over to Rwanda for the Basketball Africa League Finals, came back to work the NBA Finals. It's a lot. A day of my life is probably like on a slow day, I wake up, I go do hot yoga here in La I by around eight, so that's a six or six fifteen or like I stop playing girl. Let me tell you. Hot yoga gets me right. The sculpt class is it, and so I do that. I have a peloton treadmill over here. I'll like work on the treadmill. Then around by a I'm talking to my agent, disrupt the game. Just trying to make sure I have my businesses in order and like my meetings and my opportunities all in order. And then I have a show call every day at nine thirty in the morning to prepare for NBA today. I travel to NBA today downtown around ten, get there by ten thirty. I do research. I sit down with the researchers. So everything that you see on air, you know Jeremy Lynn actually asked me this during cause he's like stepping more into broadcasts. He's like, how do you do what you're doing? Like do you memorize you do this? I think because like I'm a creature of habit. I have a system. And also, let's be real here, Okay, as a woman, when I started where people didn't understand why a woman would be speaking on the NBA as a sports center analyst, I realize that people cannot deny facts and figures, and if I had an opinion like all the guys that played in the NBA, they would be like, what does she know?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 3: So I will always give you a format like saying, you know, Jalen Brunson is the best Knicks player in you know, NBA history. He's the best person to wear neck jersey. Why because his usage was this. His blah blah blah was that like, I will hit you with the numbers to support my theory. And that's largely because I realized that people would question my knowledge despite probably being like the highest quote unquote ranked like player like two time I'll start compared to like Perk or Richard or you know, but those guys are champions, so I can't even say that, but I guess my point is that I'll sit down with a researcher and that's my process, like my sacred time.
Speaker 2: For at least thirty to forty five minutes.
Speaker 3: I'm like looking at the numbers and then you know, go and do hair and makeup, do the show from twelve to one. At times I'm doing first take or get up as early as five in the morning, seven in the morning doing sports, and as late as ten PM. So it's a lot of TV. But I will say this, that's high season. In other seasons it gets at a little bit chill. But like you know, I feel bad because I'm not a good communicator despite what you see on air. So like, for example, Shanty, if you text me like, hey, girl, what's that how you doing? I'll be on air for a first take hit at eight in the morning. I'll see that.
Speaker 2: I'm like, oh, what's that girl like?
Speaker 3: But I mentally respond, but I don't text you back, and then I'll go and do my job and then I'm like, oh, I got to get to shout a chancy.
Speaker 2: And then by the time I get home.
Speaker 3: Later that night, around like four, I'm like, oh, I got late night sports and I was like I'm hit. I'm like, dang, it's too late to hit her back. So it ends up snowballing. And so everyone knows if you want to catch me, sis, call me, because like call me and then my phone is ringing. I'm like, you know, it's just a different brain cell. So I'll be like, Okay, you know I'm a call girl. I'm not a text girl because text just get snowballed. So like that's my life. Or like I was in almost a different city, so I flew and I know this is getting super long, so please forgive me, but I.
Speaker 2: Was hearing keep going.
Speaker 3: I was here in La working in studio, just finished working WNBA. Then I go to San Antonio for Games one of the NBA Finals. I'm there for two days and then I fly to Bristol to go do two WNBA countdowns in Bristol, so I missed Game three of the finals. But then in the middle of that, I do Sports Center for Game three in Bristol, Connecticut. I make Thank God, Lord Jesus, I was assigned for Game four. I was there Game four at the Garden. Made that yes girl, And then I went home to LA to do studio shows on standby to travel back if it was going to be Nixon six. So that was a ping pong And then I'm back here and I'm doing studio work this week, but then I have to go do Bristol to do countdown for this weekend.
Speaker 2: You know what I mean. Oh, I forget that. I'm like spilling so much tea because this is like early whatever. But it's okay, I'm eating it up. It's a crazy life.
Speaker 3: But like I you know, and I'm not gonna lie like I wish I had more control of like cause I'm a homebody.
Speaker 2: I don't get outside much.
Speaker 3: I just love, you know, watching these games at my house, eating food, watching TV shows. I wish I was able to be more intentional with like the other aspects of my life. But I get fulfilled its because like Mecca's back home in LA and so I get to see her a lot, get to go to her game.
Speaker 2: So like, life is good, but it is.
Speaker 3: A little chaotic. That's the super long answer. But that's like a little bit of my life.
Speaker 1: Well one, thank you for taking the time to chat with us, Okay, in that very busy scuest role.
Speaker 2: I do recognize this.
Speaker 1: And then two, how do you like take time to fill your cup?
Speaker 2: Girl? Like that's a lot.
Speaker 1: And I know your sister's back at home and you mentioned that, and I know you do a little bit of hot yoga, but it seems like you can't put two days together where you're not working. So how do you make sure you're not pouring from like an empty cup?
Speaker 3: To be honest, I am, and it's actually interesting that I'm like playing with my necklace. I am not good at that, and I'm trying to be more intentional about that. I'm even like trying to get a therapist because I feel like I need someone to hold me accountable to fill my cup. I just feel blessed because my name is chin So. Chinanya is Ebo and it means God gives. And my middle name is joy and so my mom always tells people be careful what you name a child, that's what they become every day. I feel so grateful, like to live my life, to have this job, to have this platform, that it just energizes me. It's just natural, right, But I've realized that, like I need to fill my cup, right, So I this is the like small things that I do.
Speaker 2: I'm not a late person because clearly I do too much.
Speaker 3: But like I'll go and have a solo lunch situation and I'll go to my favorite place because I don't live far from like Rodeo. It's called Ovra. I'll go have a lunch there, sit, bring a book, bring my computer. So I'm trying to like get outside more because I feel like being in La. I'm going at one point, at some point in my life, I'm gonna be like I lived in La, but I'm not like seeing the ocean and I not feeling the breeze. So I'm trying to intentionally get myself outside do things. I have like bucket lists of things. I want to go to one of those Candle Light Symphony kind of cool turnt up concerts, and so like that's my goal. That's definitely my goal. But I need help. So if you got ideas to help me, like, please pass them alone.
Speaker 1: Girl, that therapy that's gonna get you right, Start there. Start with that therapy.
Speaker 2: Right. You don't have to be on standby for work every second of every day. And I'm like, but.
Speaker 3: Okay, But to be honest, I get a lot of my joy from like you know, and my piece from like my home being at home because I'm not there that much.
Speaker 2: Girl. Let me tell you what makes me happy. I watched TV.
Speaker 3: I am If I was not a broadcaster or basketball player, I would be a TV critic. I would have TV shows about TV shows. I watch everything everything, and I have takes. I do listen to the podcast like I am a nerd for some good TV. Like I was at the finals and I freaked out because I saw John Taturo, who's like Severence.
Speaker 2: I was like, oh my god, I love you on Severns. And everyone's running around.
Speaker 3: To like French Montana and all these people, and I'm going to like the acting nerds and I'm like, I watched the show.
Speaker 2: That's how it came.
Speaker 3: That's how I became friends with Common because oh there was there was a whole long situation about that because someone that works for Lloyd works for Common, and so.
Speaker 2: Mutual friends. And I was like comment yo, he was like heye.
Speaker 3: First of all, I said, hey, you cooked with your Amazon intro because he made the music of Amazon on MBA. I was like, bro, you cooked, and he's like, oh, thank you so much. And then I said, by the way, I watch you on Silo and you are amazing. You are amazing in that role. And so that's how we became friends because of me. He's like, oh, you really watched that show. It's kind of niche. I'm like, I'm all the way tapped in. I'm ready for the new season. It's out right now. He's like, you should come see us, like we I'm like out here getting invite it to London to go to them PROMI because so, like as you can tell, if there's a good show hit me, I love it.
Speaker 2: So that's my life.
Speaker 4: Yes, yes, wait quick sidebar.
Speaker 2: Have you watched Paradise? Have I watched Paradise and Sterling k Brown Chocolate Cardinals? Of course? God, so good. So I have so many theories.
Speaker 3: Love that man down same respect to his wife, his beautiful wife.
Speaker 1: Well one hundred percent, we're not even talking like that, Like he is in a phenomenal actor who is also handsome.
Speaker 2: Girl.
Speaker 1: I have some theories as well as far as that's gonna go for the listeners.
Speaker 2: Paradise is it is a TV show.
Speaker 1: It's on I believe Hulu, and I think there's some like time travel that's been going on.
Speaker 3: Oh and speaking of time travel, speaking of yes, girl, speaking of time travel. I just finished Outlander and I was I was in Outlander world for about a month after. I've watched probably the same seat, like I watched the whole show, the favorite seasons.
Speaker 2: See what does it seems like over and over girl.
Speaker 3: Jamie Fraser, James Fraser, James Malcolm Xander, Mackenzie Fraser.
Speaker 2: Do you watch the Government? Yes, I watched Oh my God, Hello and Claire Claire.
Speaker 1: But like, I'm not usually caught up, don't tell me anything.
Speaker 2: I was spoiling.
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay me that song. I'm not gonna do that gilded age down to you hit me like PhD and TV over here. Okay, but I know on this point. So the reason why it happened actually, and this is probably like part of my coping mechanism aka therapy. When I was at Stanford, I we were working so much, you know how it is like we're in the gym in class, like we had time for nothing. And so I started watching t G, I t Thank God It's Thursdays, How to Get Away with Murder, Gray's Anatomy, and Scandal. I used to have a blog y'all, and it's still up there somewhere on like WordPress.
Speaker 2: I used to have a blog called t TV Buffet with China.
Speaker 3: I don't know why made that that that name, like and this TV girl, I don't know, but I used to like it became appointment television for me to watch all those shows, and it was my life and that was like my escape and we'd like watch parties and so like that's where my fandom or TV doom came from.
Speaker 2: So fun facts, guys.
Speaker 1: Ooh okay, we low key went off a little bit of a crazy tangent. I do want to ask a couple questions about these NBA and the NBA finals.
Speaker 2: And we're going to get into some of our fun and games. Okay, okay, all right, you got so much to cut girl. Sorry, guys, no love it. It's amazing. Okay. So, there aren't a lot of analysts who cover both the.
Speaker 1: WNBA and the NBA at all equally, at least, so coming off the NBA Finals, how does it feel like to cover the w versus the NBA parallels in these leagues? Like, tell us about that because none of us, not a lot of us, have that experience.
Speaker 3: So there are so many parallels between the timelines of the NBA and the WNBA. A lot of people talk about thirty years into the NBA, you know, like where was it make those comps?
Speaker 2: All those types of things.
Speaker 3: I think currently, because of expansion, we are seeing those parallels in real time, and also because of the fouling and the refereeing and the points of emphasis. With expansion, we're getting more international players into the WNBA, which is awesome because there have been so many great players around the world that deserve to be able to make a name for themselves. More teams, more roster spots, and so now those top players that people have been playing with for years have the opportunity to come here and have more of a shot, right, And that's why we're seeing some of these like most Improved or Rookie of the Year conversations. Having a lot of these international players make a parallel to the NBA. The last eight NBA MVPs have been I think international players. A number of them in a row have been international players. Shae Gilt with Alexander Alexander from Canada, Right, So the international game is actually like shows a healthy, viable league.
Speaker 2: People like this is the destination.
Speaker 3: This is the top league in the world, and these top players are getting better because the NBA made a very concerned effort, you know, I would say decades ago, particularly under David Stern, to make it a global game.
Speaker 2: That's why we have the Basketball Africa League.
Speaker 3: That's why we have conversations about NBA Europe potentially, Like, that's why all these teams go and have these you know, they go to the Middle East store, they go to Asia to do these promotionals because they're huge, rapid fan bases. And so I think we're going to start seeing a very similar situation with the W and so like.
Speaker 2: That to me is cool. And then just the parallels and coverage.
Speaker 3: Oo lord, I don't know where I can get started, but like in the I think what I've seen is in the NBA, things tend to be like inbounds, Oh, he had a horrible game. You'll get some jokes off about him having a horrible game. But there's not so much of a social tie to those players that I see in the W. And I think it's largely because the W like these women are advocates, are leaders, they stand on causes, they have businesses, you're women are you know, multifaceted multitasking like bosses, right, and so when we show up, our existence literally opens the doors to so much whereas the guys is poor point I'm a hooper, you don't have these passions, but like they kind of just like you know what I mean. And I think that was a survival necessity, right, because like as we experience in twenty twenty with social injustice and all those things, like who is going to advocate for us other than us? Like we you know, we know we have to, and so we put on so many hats and I think because of that, when we see the coverage, it can cross boundaries in ways that are great to help elevate players fans. We love to see it, right, like these women are walking in Victoria's Secret fashion shows, love Angel, like love Asia, like all these things that are happening. But at the same time, I think the hard part is sometimes we blur the lines with like criticism where things can get cruel at times and it's more personal, whereas I don't see it being as such, you know, on the other side, And to me, that's like the part that has been hard to negotiate. But it's also part of the process. Like I always tell people, with rapid growth comes growing pains, and so we'll take the good and we'll take some of the you know, improvement areas as we continue to grow. But like it's been hard as a broadcaster because there's so like there's so many different sensitivities. But I always focus on the game. I focus on uplifting the players. I focus on being a resource to those that like need to learn, that need access, that need information. While that may not be a hot take to me, it's like much more sustainable.
Speaker 2: So I hope that answers your question.
Speaker 1: No, absolutely, So where the game is now tons of improvement. Where do you want to see the game in the next three to five years.
Speaker 2: I mean, we're already there.
Speaker 3: Like we used to joke Naka and I when she was with Seattle at her own practice facility because the Storm have their own practice facility and they were flying charter jets. She's like, man, I didn't know I'd be around to see all the perks and to experience all the perks, But here we are. And we'd laugh about that because that was never a guarantee. It was a dream that has now become a reality. And so where do I see the league? These women are freaking amazing every year, like it gets better and better, and like not to circle back to the other conversation because I mentioned the fouls and the referees. What we're seeing in the W right now is what the NBA experience probably about ten or so years ago. They want free flowing games. You're gonna this is a year where the highest I think teams are averaging like ninety something points or maybe it's like high eighties, low nineties, the highest scoring average that we've ever experienced. Why because fans that want to come want to come and see good hoops. Not good hoops, they want to come see points. The more buckets, the more butts in seats, that's like a that's a statistic that clearly drives revenue at the league office. So the NBA made this auto correction a couple years ago, and that's where you know, we saw the point explosion, the three point explosion. Like the analytics and all those types of things. The W is starting to turn that corner and you can see they're was I was there at a game where there was seventy five free throws being taken. You know, I was there at the opening of the season between the Wings and the Fever where both teams scored one hundred, the highest ever scoring you know, opening day, And so I say that, like that's a parallel, that is the future of the WNBA that the players are gonna have to adjust to. And so like those are the things that like swirl around in my head that I think are like, really it's good for the game, but it just takes a little bit of a reset for these players.
Speaker 2: But like future, these women are dropping.
Speaker 3: Like haven't you seen the We've seen forty five, We've seen forty three, we've seen thirty eight, we've seen thirty six, we.
Speaker 2: Save fifty three?
Speaker 3: What asia Like, oh yeah, well, more like there's nothing else.
Speaker 2: The women are doing their part now.
Speaker 3: I think it's now like the business and the infrastructure we're seeing like freaking the Golden Set and you're gonna begin turned the Golden State. Valkyrie is becoming the first potential billion dollar valuation team. Toronto Tempo going crazy, representing an entire country, right like the Detroit You're on the clock, Cleveland, You're on the clock, Filly, you on the clock, Like Houston, Hello, you know, you know like what you know, we kind of like where the money reside, you know what I mean, the future, the investment, right, So so what the players are doing their part? I think it's now getting the businesses, the owners, the teams. All those teams that aren't invested in facilities, y'all gonna get left. All those owners that are not investing in their team, y'all not gonna have players. Like that is where I see the growth coming, like the infrastructure, because the players are some badasses.
Speaker 2: They doing the thing.
Speaker 1: I'm so excited and I'm so glad we get to see it, and I believe we're gonna see this in our lifetime.
Speaker 2: So I can't wait. Thank you so much. Wait, I have a question for you. I have a question for you.
Speaker 3: And I noticed just around, but around and find out right, So like you can't say dubtas all right, but if you like, are you a season two?
Speaker 2: Are you a season ticket holder?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 2: What's your dream?
Speaker 3: Like you you rich auntie, you rich boss lady, you get to like pickote, what's your dream? I'm getting courtside season tickets scenario?
Speaker 2: Like what's your dream? Cause mine?
Speaker 3: Like when I'm done, Houston, I'm gonna be there like Houston comments support.
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh that's the hometown.
Speaker 1: Oh what about you, that's easy, Liberty. I'm from New York. Oh okay, you're a Liberty girl.
Speaker 2: Liberty girl. Listen, I'm already at the games.
Speaker 1: I just I need to get season tickets for the full season, but I'm already gonna be at every game, every home game.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna be there if I'm in town.
Speaker 1: We heard that.
Speaker 2: You hear that?
Speaker 1: Uh huh, yeah, already they've already been You want me about that? You know when she came, she played the Liberty and gave them major buckets and beat them, and I'm over here gagged. But honestly, I already told her. I'm rooting for my girl no matter what. But I'm from New York. I've been a Liberty fan my whole entire life.
Speaker 2: So wait, should I say congrats to you also for the next then? Oh, my goodness, thank you for saying that.
Speaker 1: Yes, Oh, you're trying to compose yourself. Okay, I am a nick. I am so proud. I almost lost my voice and couldn't do this. I have been in the city streets all week, all week, and I'm.
Speaker 2: Excited for the parade.
Speaker 1: By the time this comes out out, Listen, if you catch me on a float, listen, I'm manifesting it.
Speaker 3: Do you know how many babies they're gonna be like, Oh, look, there's baby Brunson. Oh, here's baby NICKI, here's baby og Like, here's baby Josh.
Speaker 2: My child's middle name is gonna be og like. I don't know what to tell them. Okay, well you got that sixty percent, so you need it. It's not og.
Speaker 1: It's gonna be oh googlea so baby, Yes, every baby o Googla Yep, but I.
Speaker 2: Think he's Ebo too. Girl, I think he too.
Speaker 3: Look yeah, out here we out here here. And by the way, if you listen to this, you probably you both will you.
Speaker 2: Better look it up? You probably would us I put my money on it.
Speaker 1: You probably eat boys will It's a lot happening in the city, like uh so the Knicks just one.
Speaker 2: It was Puerto Rican Day parade.
Speaker 1: When this comes out, June teenth will be this Friday.
Speaker 3: So I mean, I don't know, Jue. I always love to celebrate if they give me a day off. So let me just tell you.
Speaker 2: I think I'm I might celebrate for you. You know what's kind of funny. I am going.
Speaker 3: I think it's a travel day for me, So maybe I'll travel a day early because June Teeth, New York City post Knicks parade might be a movie, might be a girl.
Speaker 1: If you're not here, I don't know what you're doing. Are you gonna be here for the parade? No, I'm not. I know It's okay. I'm gonna tell them I'm not doing it for me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there you go. Let me wait. Do you want to know something?
Speaker 3: This is too much to you, but like, don't yo if you listen, don't clock me, okay, don't like spill a tea. I still carry one of Neca's old driver's license licenses from like when she was eight team because I don't know how I got it because Neck and I used to do some things like funny like this, and so anytime i'd be going to a hotel and they're like, oh, like I'm not home.
Speaker 2: You know, I'm not at the hotel on the road.
Speaker 3: I say, don't worry, I got it. So they're like, oh, let me see I d They don't really look at the date like that, they just see the name, and so they'd be giving me keys Also when I was at Stanford, I remember I was sick and I couldn't make a class.
Speaker 2: Was like, necka, you pull up for me? NECKA pulled up for me. No one notices that. One person. One person was like, hold on a second. So, yeah, that's a little.
Speaker 3: So I'm gonna maybe I'll just ship you my little driver's license thing.
Speaker 1: And they'd be like, girl, our cratteas if I got a jock slice, but let me get I swear I'm planning.
Speaker 2: Everyone thinks we're the same anyways.
Speaker 4: I mean at this point, ah, girl, okay, that's.
Speaker 1: That our w NBA, our Juneteenth, our NBA all the tea. I want to move into our fudding games. Now we are at life fifty, so I think what we're gonna do is are what the fud of the week? Okay, so what the fun of the week? Is something that happened this week that made you say, what the fud? You are our guests, so you can go first if you like.
Speaker 2: That's so easy.
Speaker 3: This week, coming off the NBA Finals, what the fud? The Knicks come back from down twenty nine, go crazy. I was there in the arena. It was bunkers running into celebrity here, celebrity there. And the thing is I literally run into them because I'm wearing heels at like sixty three, and so I almost need Spike because he was down there.
Speaker 2: What the fud?
Speaker 3: The New York Knicks make the biggest NBA playoff, NBA final comeback and just light the city on fire.
Speaker 2: Like it just what? How does this? I still can't process?
Speaker 3: Come on, what I experienced on top of watching Game five, I still can't process fifty three years.
Speaker 2: Fifty three years? So yeah, what the fu three? New York, New York? You different New York? Is? They always say, oh, we built different New York. No, no, no, y'all really built different. Yes we are.
Speaker 1: I am so proud I am. And listen, work is right now. We are already insufferable. Now we are super insufferings.
Speaker 2: Okay, like people are like, no, no, but it's been good. It's been good. Yes, thank you, thank you for saying it's been good. I've been seeing it. Y'all been joyful. Thank you, thank you so much for saying that.
Speaker 3: But you got to We're gonna give you like two more weeks of this, all right, two more weeks then.
Speaker 1: Then what I guess we could move on from that, but let me say something. I'm stuck on this one for the rest of my life. I'm telling my grandkids I was there at this point. I'm telling my grandkids I scored.
Speaker 2: I was in the game. Oh.
Speaker 3: I cannot ride the high until W and Ba all sudden, W and Bay all say we shift gears.
Speaker 1: Okay, oh absolutely, okay we are aligned on that, and then after all star I'm back.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's fine, that's fine, that's fine to the w playoffs. But I got you girl.
Speaker 1: Well, thank you so much for joining us today. It is an honor to have you be a part of our show.
Speaker 2: What this was a pleasure.
Speaker 3: And thank you for having a therapy session for me, doing a wellness check on me, because clearly your girl needs to take a break. But this has been a joy. You have been a delight. A shawnte anything you need, anything you want. I'm here for saying thing for a Z so I'm a resource. I'm gonna throw you myself when we done.
Speaker 2: Okay, thank you, Girta, ma me crowd camera.
Speaker 3: You ca.
Speaker 2: I really really appreciate h. This was so fun, So thank you anytime.
Speaker 1: All right, that's the Wrap listeners, Thank you guys so much for tuning in, and don't forget to rate, review, and subscribe to Futter Around and find Out wherever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 4: Futter Around and find Out is a production of iHeart Women's Sports and Unanimous Media. Executive producers are Jesse Katz, Eric Payton, Charla Sumter Brugette, and Stephan Curry. Co executive producer is Kleana Maria Cutney. Producers are Mike Costcarelli, Grace Views and Mackenzie Fitzpatcher. And co producers are Kurt Redmand, Maya Howard and jack Ln Schanninger. This podcast is edited by Mike Costcarelli and hosted by me Aisy Fudd and Ashaunty Plummer.