Speaker 1: I'm a homegirl that knows a little bit about everything and everybody.
Speaker 2: You know, if you don't lie about that?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 2: La Hey, y'all, what's up.
Speaker 1: It's Lauren de Rosa and this is the latest with Lauren de Rosa. This is your DELI dig on all things pop culture, entertainment, news and all of the conversations that shake the room.
Speaker 2: Baby. Now today we are.
Speaker 1: Going to get into a conversation about TB about television or what is left of television because, as we all know, the way that we consume television is completely different today in twenty twenty five.
Speaker 2: Now, raise your hand out there, and of course.
Speaker 1: I can't see you, so that means you need to hit the like button comment below, yell at me on social media at Lauren Rosa, L R E N everywhere. How do you guys consume what would have been cable television content today? Because I mean, if I'm thinking about myself, I haven't had like actual cable TV. Wow, when is the last time I had cable TV? I think, Woh, can't you remember?
Speaker 2: Uh?
Speaker 1: It might have been right before the pandemic and even then I think, yeah, that was a streaming ish version of it.
Speaker 2: That's crazy.
Speaker 1: I don't remember the last time I've paid like a Exfinity or wherever you are, whatever you know, city or state you live in, an actual cable provider to provide like TV that you turn on that isn't attached to Wi Fi. So yeah, y'all, let me know, getting right on into the latest, here's what's going down. So as I was driving in uh to the podcast, I begin to see the story. I got a notification from the Hollywood Reporter, And you know some of the other trades. Trades are the media outlets that announced like the shows and new businesses and new deals and things like that. That's what the trades are called. Shout out to Dame Dash. The title of this article is Oscars Bolts from ABC to YouTube. Starting in twenty twenty nine, the world's highest profile and most watched award show, which has aired on ABC since nineteen seventy six, will be moving to streaming only platform. Will be moving to a streaming only platform as a part of as a part of a deal that also includes red carpet coverage, the Oscar nominations, announcement, the Governor Awards, and more so, not even just to Oscar Awards show, but everything that leads up to the awards, So the Governor awards the Red Carpet, which is again I'm sitting here like they I know that they traditionally air a lot of the award shows on these like you know, very cable network ish channels, the ABC's, NBC's which all do have their own you know, streaming ends as well for the most part, or they team up with a streamer, like I know, like NBC does stuff with Peacock. Shout out to NBC New York for who we did a lot of our Diddy coverage with. In a lot of our coverage that we did there is on Peacock as well. But I was surprised to read this because I'm like, why wasn't there already a deal?
Speaker 2: I know, when I watch all Red Carpets and all you.
Speaker 1: Know, Grammys or whatever award shows just to cover it in news, I'm watching it via YouTube television.
Speaker 2: I have the subscription there.
Speaker 1: But even before I had that subscription to be able to see things live, like actually, like I'm paying for it to know I'll get it. I always knew that I could watch the Red Carpets live because they stream live not even just on YouTube, but like I know, a lot of platforms now go live on Twitter and have it set up literally on your Twitter feed or your x feed where you could just watch the Red Carpets from there, and it's a whole news broadcast.
Speaker 2: So I don't know.
Speaker 1: I think the deals are finally catching up with Times or something. But this report says in the news that will send shockwaves across the entertainment industry. The Oscar Ceremony, which has aired on ABC since nineteen seventy six, will be moving to YouTube starting in twenty twenty nine, so they have some time and we'll be broadcast by the streamer through at least twenty thirty three. The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Scientists announced today, which is Wednesday, December seventeenth, The Disney owned Alphabet Network will continue to when y'all hear Alphabet boys, y'all either think about the irs or the community.
Speaker 2: You don't want to mess with. That's where I start laughing.
Speaker 1: Will continue to air the Oscars, which has long been the world's most watched awards telecast, through the one hundredth edition of the awards show in twenty twenty eight. After that, the ceremony will be available live and for free to cover to over two billion people around the world on YouTube and YouTube TV subscribers in the United States. Shout out to me YouTube TV subscriber I signed.
Speaker 2: Up a long time ago.
Speaker 1: As part of the newly inked deal, YouTube will broadcast not only the Oscars ceremony itself, which generated over one hundred and fifty million dollars in revenue y'all this fiscal year which ended in June ended June thirtieth, And they'll also be broadcast a lot of other related content like what we talked about, the Red Carpet, the Governor Awards. Yeah, this is a big deal. I mean, it's a big deal, but it's like a duh thing. And I do know that there were like small things happening again, like I said, because you could watch all of like if not majority of the award shows at this point in the carpets prior to and in certain things via social media platforms live. So I know that a lot of these award shows they had to because it's literally like get rid of it or get lost.
Speaker 2: Like if you were not.
Speaker 1: Streaming something somewhere digitally at this point, you're burnt out like we are miles ahead of you. But to see the official deal go out this way, especially with the Oscars being such a big like and long coveted show number one, I think it shows, if I'm being completely honest, it shows that Hollywood is a little bit more reluctant to give in I think to where things are going. And I think a lot of that is because of the studios. Now grant it, the Oscars isn't like a major, you know, studio production. You know, studios typically lean more into things like like big box office style films and you know, things of that nature. But I was reading about the deal that they were doing or trying to do, and it's very competitive. They're you know, direct op. The opposition is Paramount because Paramount also wants in on ownership of the entire Warner Brothers. One of the articles that I read across one of the trades, it was just talking about how a lot of the studio owners are like they're nervous and are saying that you know, a Netflix or a paramount you know streaming servicer picking up you know, a big entity like Warner Brothers, it almost kills the studios because you don't need the big Hollywood studios to do a lot of what we're seeing on these streaming platforms. Like I do think that there is you know, in a perfect world, there's always a way that you can make business work, right because if it's not broke, you're not gonna fix it. So like if you can take you know, the same initiative power infrastructure that a Hollywood studio has and lend it to a streaming platform, which a lot of them do, Like there are movies that goes to uh, straight to streaming.
Speaker 2: I know Tyler Perry does it. I know Amazon does.
Speaker 1: Like there's a lot of different you know, platforms that or Tyler Perry does. It would be a lot with BT. Plus he's also done it with Netflix. Netflix has done it with other studios and to has Amazon Prime. But for them to own such a big catalog of content in that way and be able to kind of almost like throw their weight around even bigger than they already got, I mean, their Netflix, it's already possible, but for them to do it even bigger and not need all of the other studios in Hollywood, I mean that's a win win. But I think other people are looking at it like this changes the industry so much because with one big conglomerate like a Netflix controlling all of that, you don't need as much, you don't need as many people because Netflix internally is able to build out their own production as well too, which is where a lot of the studios come in with bringing in the different production companies that they work with under their studios and the licensing deals, and you know, things are just shifting and they're changing. And I think what a lot of this is going to mean is that the antiquated way, right because think about the Oscars. The Oscars has been around since nineteen seventy six. The Oscars is so highly coveted and prestigious, and like everybody wants these awards.
Speaker 2: Everybody turns on cable television to watch it.
Speaker 1: And you know, regardless of how you're watching ABC at the time, you're watching the Oscars.
Speaker 2: It's just one of those things that you do. I think that it shows that.
Speaker 1: As regal and regarded as old, Hollywood wants to remain it is. It is like although we've come to the end of the road, like they can't fight what's happening. I mean, they're already behind and trying to, you know, do things any other way than what we've saw announced today. But when I saw the announcement today, I'm like this took for like why now, Like this is something that should.
Speaker 2: Have been happened.
Speaker 1: But I do know that they're you know, and there's a sense of if it's not broke, don't fix it. And I do think that there's a sense of it's almost like if you're a clothing designer and you've been sewing by hand and doing you know, cut and sell, which is like a very like you know, higher quality intimate process, you don't ever want to lean into fast fashion, which is you know where things are like produced very fast. The fabrics may not be as high quality, but you try and do your best to make it good. Right. You want to remain like the person who was like taking the time. But then you have all these companies coming in like a fashion nova, a Shean a T Mood, all these Instagram brands who are running circles around you because of the mass that they're able to produce and put out. You gotta keep up. I think what we're about to see now is old school Hollywood and just old school everything. Old school regimes and entertainment. They've already and I think especially since the pandemic, with people cutting budgets and creators realizing how much you could do with less. The old regime of how we produce content for the masses, whether it's audio or visual, there's no turning back after this year, Like you can't you can't.
Speaker 2: Even fake the funk anymore.
Speaker 1: But either way, it's good for us, right, It's good to see things moving changing, presenting more opportunities. You know, Oscar so White, it was some years ago now and they've been working ever since to do better. So there's more of that as well, because you know, black people be on the internet. Were there so Yesterday it was announced that The Breakfast Club is heading on over the Netflix, and then YouTube decided they wanted to pull up on the oscars and bring the Oscars back home too, like a GPO. Let's talk about what this means for content creation, for storytelling, shoot for me, Let's talk about it.
Speaker 2: Congratulations to the Breakfast Club.
Speaker 1: We talked about this today on the show The Breakfast Club, along with Bobby Bones presents the Bobby Cast My Favorite Murder, which is a a hit original true crime show Derek Chelsea, which is a big podcast that Chelsea Handler has. Joe and Jada, which is y'all know if you don't know, Fat Joe and Jadakiss have a show where they sit down and discuss all things music, hip hop culture. This Is Important, which is a comedy podcast featuring the Workaholics Adam Devine and Andrews Home and Blake Anderson The Psychology of Your Twenties. It's also another show that you guys will see in this partnership on Netflix, Behind the Bastards. Stuff they Don't Want You to Know, which is a curiosity podcast with Matt Frederick, Ben Bolin, and Noel Brown. Stuff You Missed in History Class? Another curiosity podcast with Holy Frey and Tracy Wilson.
Speaker 2: Stuff to Blow Your Mind. Three and Out with John middlecof.
Speaker 1: Buried Bones, A History and true Let me tell you how when I got into podcasts and I learned quickly that true crime podcast tear it Up. Okay, take me through that, take me through there where we're going to and eat it up, Eat it up true crime podcasts. Okay, the genre kills it on the podcast side. But yeah, so there's a lot of true crime on this list. New Roy and Mau are also on the list. So yes, y'all, let me tell y'all.
Speaker 2: The new regime.
Speaker 1: Is here, like it is literally here because all of these, all of these things that I talked about today from the podcast, you'll still hear them wherever you originally begin to hear them.
Speaker 2: So Breakfast Club still on the radio every morning.
Speaker 1: But with Netflix coming in as a partner, it just I mean, you're you're taking things to new heights, like it's no turning back at this point. Like if you were ever to deny where streaming was and how it was happening and how you were going to integrate it in a lot of those household shows and vehicles, don't even think about it.
Speaker 2: Just do it, that's the answer.
Speaker 1: So I google this cause I'm like, I know for a fact, so when I watch the Oscars, I don't have cable, so I know I watched it via streaming. So I wanted to understand what their partnership prior to this big announcement of them coming to YouTube fully in twenty twenty nine will look like. So, according to online research, the Oscars have historically been on broadcast television traditional broadcast television ABC like we mentioned, but they began partnering with streaming platforms in a limited capacity, so they did something with Hulu as a part of a larger Disney ABC corporate structure. The ceremony was available to stream on Hulu in the US in recent years, though some live stream viewers experienced technical difficulties. They also had some international partners that they partner with as well. The YouTube ce Neil Mohan said in a statement to Deadline, who is the trade that broke the news? Partnering with the academy to bring the celebration of art and entertainments of viewers all over the world or inspire a new generation of creativity.
Speaker 2: I told y'all, the new.
Speaker 1: Generation of content creator, of show producer, of what a studio looks like is here. You cannot get around it. This is the best time if you are of the new generation of content creator, or even if you don't create content, if you I mean, like if you're not the subject of the content or like the actual person coming up with the idea. But maybe you just work on a team that executed or whatever, and you are young and you understand the streaming and the Internet and you're able to I feel like with our generation, because we've been on we're really Internet babies, and I'm in that middle point where I kind of remember when like internet was like there, but like it wasn't what it was now, so like we had like I remember when you had to go and like print out your directions to get somewhere, so like you didn't have GPS for real. You could go on maps dot com and answer the address and it would tell you how to get there, but it wasn't updating you in real time on your phone or your tablet or whatever. I also remember there only being like a black planet and then a MySpace, and then Facebook came, and then Instagram came. I remember you could only post like I remember you couldn't post video Instagram at all, and then you could post like small.
Speaker 2: Like I think it was like ten or fifteen second videos. So we got to.
Speaker 1: See the evolution of a lot of the Internet. So it's kind of easy to predict. I don't know about y'all, but for me, when I see things like this, it makes me excited because I'm looking at this, like it's so easy to predict where things are going, and it's so easy to position yourself in a way where your business can grow and you can learn, you know, from the mistakes in the winds of other people around you as things grow, because you're able to keep in mind where things are headed. Because we've seen this before, like we've seen this evolution. Some people just late to throw in in the full twel The YouTube CEO continues to say that this one inspired that new generation of creativity and film lovers while staying true to the Oscar story legacy.
Speaker 2: Well, thank you guys so much for.
Speaker 1: Joining me today to talk about all things like new and y'all better get way to get lost or get out the way.
Speaker 2: Okay, I am excited.
Speaker 1: I think twenty twenty six, with everything that we're seeing in the news, is going to bring room for new opportunity, for new things to look forward to. But also too, I think, like I really just and this has been for some years now where I think, especially with at like once the writer strike hit, creators and content and storytelling has been in a very different place. I think people you know, sadly have had to figure out how to do a lot with a little bit, which is never good when you're talking about art because is you know, like when budgets get tight, people lose jobs, people are not able to do things that you know, for some creators, like it's creator die like, it's literally what you've lived your life to do, and your fallback plan isn't something that you want to ever have to fall back on. So when things get tight, people shut down, productions shut down studios, people lose jobs. It's never a good thing. But I think, you know, as we are seeing things like these, these partnerships happen. Although traditionally in the digital space teams are really smaller, I think it just you know, if I'm looking at the silver lining and all of this and the big lean towards you know, all of the big prestigious regimes fully leading and throwing themselves into the digital space and the streaming space, I think what it will do is it will create a lane where, you know, with us being able to just turn on our phone record and press upload and have a platform, it'll create opportunity in a lane where if you do that and you do it, you know with quality, you do it consistently. There's really really really big opportunity. And I keep using the word opportunity, but there's really big there's really big room for growth in partnership there, and it's for anybody Like I.
Speaker 2: I'm feeling again.
Speaker 1: Like the optimistic feeling that I had way before I started doing anything in entertainment. But I would literally just turn on some of my favorite shows or see my favorite it girls on the internet doing things and trying to figure out how did they do this? Like how are they living their lives just being themselves and telling stories that they love to tell. And you know, everything in all peaches and creams, a lot of peaches and cream. A lot of this is highlight reels. But you know, to be able to be a creator, or to work with creators, to be able to tell story is not something that anybody should take lightly. And I think whenever we see shifts in the industry, there's two things you can do. You can fight it, or you can figure out your positioning, your foundation, build it and let them come.
Speaker 2: And I'm excited to see what is.
Speaker 1: Built in this new rain, in this new era of streaming partnership for everybody all over the world, and who rises in it, the criminal crowd will rise and who rises in it? And I'm excited to be amongst the people in it. So congratulations to the Breakfast Club heading on over the Netflix, and I guess we'll be seeing you.
Speaker 2: Know you all let the Oscars on YouTube too. That was a little cheap little plug. Oscars, Invite your girl.
Speaker 1: I'm loring the rods that this is the latest with Laurna the rows of my Low Riders. You guys could be anywhere with anybody talking about all of these things, but if you choose to be right here with me, I will catch you in my next episode.