Speaker 1: Hey, Scott, why are you on your phone?
Speaker 2: I was actually looking something up for this episode.
Speaker 1: Oh of course you were a millennial dude.
Speaker 2: What's the matter with you? Hey? Gen Xer? What's going on?
Speaker 1: Gen x I always on your phone? Now? How to convert that to a pdfgn Xer.
Speaker 2: I wasn't ready for this yet. You just came and you jammed it and recorded. I don't even know what's going on?
Speaker 1: How does it feel?
Speaker 2: I don't like it?
Speaker 1: That's what I thought. Jesus do unto others as you would to yourself. I guess, Trew, what's gonna be? Will tell you? What's sire ul been like?
Speaker 2: Sare kids? Them?
Speaker 1: Life? Rick deal with everything from Jackson Vanilla to Chrispy.
Speaker 2: Now who's on their phone? Andrew?
Speaker 1: Now?
Speaker 2: Who's on me?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Not me? I'm gonna stand up, all right? How about that?
Speaker 1: Good for you?
Speaker 2: Actually usually do stand up? And I was sitting down because you caught me off card.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So, welcome to Serial Killers. This is episode forty eight. We're getting close. We're almost at fifty.
Speaker 1: Confetti being thrown in my face?
Speaker 2: Craziness. Yep, that's half a century of episodes.
Speaker 1: It's crazy.
Speaker 2: That doesn't make sense. No, it's fifty.
Speaker 1: I'll give it to you.
Speaker 2: Okay, So welcome aboard. This is the Cereal Podcast where we talk about eating cereal and here we think inside the box.
Speaker 1: Yeah, which you're still trying to make catch on. But I sent you that kiddie picture inside the box, remember he did. I did enjoy that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so let's just get right into it. Oh you know what, before we get into it, what's the matter? Nothing you have a problem with when I like to take trips only to.
Speaker 1: The Cereal Graveyard.
Speaker 2: Well, our listener on Twitter, Lisa, would like us to take this trip. So come along.
Speaker 1: Serial Killers visits the Cereal Grave.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, we're here in the Cereal Graveyard. Oh spooky, and we're tiptoeing over gravestones of Cereals gone by.
Speaker 1: This was your segment to shine, and I feel like you're not necessarily shining.
Speaker 2: Well okay, so in the early eighties, actually it started in the way back in the seventies. Yeah. American Greetings was a card company, you know, like Hallmark and Carlton Cards and all those other ones, and they created a character. Okay. By the eighties, General Mills gave her her own Cereal do you have any idea, Andrew.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I know who it is.
Speaker 2: Okay, well let's listen and then see if you knew what you were talking. Who is it?
Speaker 1: Strawberry shortcake?
Speaker 2: Damn it?
Speaker 1: Why it's africotten hapsal right, have you come to sharming strawberry shortcake cereal in that's very nice. It's such a pretty strawberry pink and it's crispy. Strawberry taste is a very good part of this nutritious breakfast.
Speaker 2: Right, even smells like strawberry. You strawberry short caek cereal? Look there is Now that was a creepy sun that was describing everything. Now, But here's the thing. If it's strawberry shortcake cereal and it's supposed to taste like strawberry, why would he say it even smells like strawberries?
Speaker 1: Of course it should add that added, you know, bonus.
Speaker 2: And the sister cereal to that was orange blossom. Now, that was an artificially flavored orange cereal.
Speaker 1: Thank god, orange cereals died in the eighties, they really did. It was a whole patch of oranges in this graveyard. That and oj is over there in the corner.
Speaker 2: So strawberry and I'm.
Speaker 1: Stepping on the bones of strawberry shortcake.
Speaker 2: Well, she's still alive, but her cereal is dead.
Speaker 1: So that's a brand that I feel like would be very like if it came back nowadays, that would be a very strong brand.
Speaker 2: It would it was an artificially flavored cereal. Maybe they could get with it today and use natural flavoring.
Speaker 1: But even strawberry shortcake, I feel like, how often do you see strawberry shortcake these days?
Speaker 2: Well, you do see it at CPK seasonally. That's California Pizza Kitchen and also Cheesecake Factory. They have it all the time. I like strawberry shortcake. I think, even though I don't eat cake, I like strawberry shortcake. Hashtag bring back Strawberry Shortcake. Yeah, well, I mean she had a bunch of friends that she was with too. Yeah, well, not cereal, but these were the little friends. Huckleberry Pie, Blueberry muffin, Apple, Dumplin, raspberry tart, plump put In, lemon, merangu and so many more. Those all would have been fantastic cereals.
Speaker 1: Yeah. No, I completely agree. I feel like, again, this is untapped material. Let's let's bring it back with the TV show, then give it to Kellogg's. Have Kelloggs make the cereals.
Speaker 2: I think it's gonna happen.
Speaker 1: A lemon meringue pie cereal. I mean it's I would try it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't think it would be very popular, but I would probably enjoy it. All right, let's get out of the graveyard, come right back to the exactly. Let's pop back to life, and Andrew, I must ask you, would you like classic or new new? You want new? Yeah? You sure?
Speaker 1: Why are you questioning me?
Speaker 2: I don't know? All right, so I showed you a picture of this cereal not terribly long ago. It's brand new. Our friend Bernie Vider picked it up. She does traffic on the morning show. Yes, she was in the store. This particular brand is only available in all these supermarkets, all these like that no name, generic type of store that is in most of the country. They're been coming. I forget what country they're from, but they're infiltrated in the United States.
Speaker 1: And then they have their other brand too, but like Liad or something.
Speaker 2: No, it's Vital and it's not that's competitor.
Speaker 1: No, they're owned by the same thing. Really, yes, because I googled it and once I googled it, I'm like, wait, so they just spelled it differently.
Speaker 2: Interesting. Well, I thought it was little, but it's legal.
Speaker 1: Yes, there's that one. Yeah, and then down the street from us is in all these so interesting?
Speaker 2: What is going on? I'm getting a legal in my neighborhood next month. I'm very excited.
Speaker 1: You should be Dutch anyway.
Speaker 2: Here, We're going to go down to the cereal sack and this could be great. It could be disgusting. I don't know, but I think it's very interesting. Peanut butter and jelly puffs from the Missville.
Speaker 1: So excited.
Speaker 2: Millville is the private brand for Aldi. I don't think any other store sells it. And I've heard conflicting reports. First I thought it was under the Post umbrella because I saw that, But then I hear it's under the General Mills umbrella. I'm not so dramatic.
Speaker 1: I'm hearing conflicting reports about peanut butter and jelly puffs.
Speaker 2: Yes, well, it says distributed and sold exclusively by Aldi, but it does not say who makes it.
Speaker 1: So it's a big ass barcoat on the side, look.
Speaker 2: And it goes all the way around. I guess you know, what that's so their machines can just get it no matter how you're holding it. It's a huge barcote on the side, on the back, on the front, and there's interesting little things to color on the back, like a cute little elephant and a monkey and a rhinoceros.
Speaker 1: Can we start eating?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I guess we can. Look how that strawberry though, he scares me?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Oh, maybe he came out of the ground from Strawberry Shortcake's grave and is reincarnated as a crazy strawberry on peanut butter jelly puffs or hear me out, he's the mascot yes for cheerios. Yeah, he just came on over all right, So let's open it up.
Speaker 1: Greig teas in our cereal graveyard too.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry, who do a Scottie shake on it? It's a very flimsy box, almost as if it should be in a bag with maltameal.
Speaker 1: You know, you've put so much shade on maltomeal. But let me tell you something. Do scooters still hold a special place in my heart? They do.
Speaker 2: I don't put shade on malt to me. I think they do have some like the fruity Dinald bar delicious.
Speaker 1: You're being shady.
Speaker 2: I just wish they had more cereal that came in boxes. There are a few, but most of them come in bags, and the bags kind of bothered me. All right, let's open. Speaking of bag, all right, these look like the uh those chocolate berry cap'n crunch Remember we had those way early on.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, I agree, it does.
Speaker 2: It smells nice. Oh, I love how big the shape is are big, the puffs are big.
Speaker 1: I'm so excited.
Speaker 2: Oh wait a second, Oh boy, now this was very exciting.
Speaker 1: Yep.
Speaker 2: So we got this bowl in the mail. We had no idea where it came from. It says be a fruit loop in a world of cheerios. It's a really cool ceramic bowl. I agree it came from Lenny Mud our friend Laurie that works there. I don't think she sent it to us. Baby Bliss twenty three on Instagram sent it because that's what the little tag said.
Speaker 1: It's so nice people.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I love it. So let's see how it sound it makes. Yeah, here we go. I love it.
Speaker 1: Just know you're the only person who could send us a bowl, and I'm not going to get pissed off. It's Scotty for it is.
Speaker 2: A cool little bowl. I love it, even though fruit is spelled wrong, but Laurie explained to me why it's spelled wrong. So we'll move on from that.
Speaker 1: Can I please have just a little bit? I don't want too much.
Speaker 2: Oh no, you're getting a full cup.
Speaker 1: They've really there's been too much food at the morning show. And I know I book all the food for the morning show, but like, I really got to stop.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're getting little chubs there, buddy, you'll have a sea on it? Or what sea for chubs?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 2: Really?
Speaker 1: The person who wants the size in between large and xcel so this way doesn't feel bad about himself.
Speaker 2: Well, I would need a large plus. I think clothing companies should make large plus because I'm not quite small enough for a large, but I'm not quite big enough for an extra large. All right, I'll just eat some more cereal then shop Right one percent low fat milk. Still no milk sponsors, so I'm paying for shop Right milk my favorite supermarket. Did that work? Yeah? No, okay? My two thing.
Speaker 1: Delicious?
Speaker 2: It is really good.
Speaker 1: Oh I love the peanut butter taste really delicious. Bernie Viider thank you, thank you.
Speaker 2: For finding it. I do kind of wish that the strawberry puffs were maybe grape jelly puffs.
Speaker 1: Yes.
Speaker 2: Maybe. If this is a successful cereal, they'll make another one with grape puffs.
Speaker 1: Know what I want to do?
Speaker 2: Tell me what you want to do.
Speaker 1: I want to take the crunch berries from the oops al berries put it in with the peanut butter. That would be a taste.
Speaker 2: Those are not great to me.
Speaker 1: I don't care.
Speaker 2: There was a cereal back in the seventies called like Sir Grape or Sir Barren or something like that. General Mills made it and it was a grape cereal. That's the only grape cereal I've ever known.
Speaker 1: Four bowls.
Speaker 2: I'm going to go as much as give it four bowls in a spoon. Wow, I really like this cereal.
Speaker 1: Thank you, Millville.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 1: Listen. Do you need someone to like endorse just all the like cereals, because we'll do it. This podcast will now be called Cereal Killers by Millville.
Speaker 2: Brought to you by Millville. I want more of this. Yeah, no waterficial flavors or high fructasset corn syrup. That's good. It doesn't say no waterficial color, so that's possible. No certified synthetic colors or synthetic preservatives. I guess that means no fake stuff. Yeah, but they could be like real, I don't know, sweetened corn and oat cereal naturally flavored with other natural.
Speaker 1: Can we go back to something you just did? You just ate the cereal that was left over on the desk.
Speaker 2: It was really delicious.
Speaker 1: You're really trying to fit into that XL. I am no large plus for you. All right, so we're gonna go classic now. I'm sorry, he's your phone ringing.
Speaker 2: You're okay there?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm good. Scott going down to the.
Speaker 2: Cereal sock for the classic. Ah, nice and sweet. Yeah, we haven't done this one yet obviously, otherwise we wouldn't be doing it, so that doesn't make sense. It's from Kellogg's, okay. It is a frosted mini wheat okay. And it is chocolate little bites from Kelloggs frosted miniweatsh okay. Why why you know?
Speaker 1: Frost and miniwheats are just such a classic taste to me, so the fact that we have to make them chocolate and frosted, it's not ideal to me. But you know I've been wrong so many times on this podcast. Yeah, I'm gonna go into it with an open mind. Okay, that peanut butter on these almost it's crunchberry era. Is peanut butter crunch berry esque, and that's why it's so good.
Speaker 2: No, it tastes more like actual real peanut butter, which it tastes more like the Nutter butter and tastes like the Nutter butter.
Speaker 1: Did not like Nutter butters.
Speaker 2: Yet it was good or it actually really tasted like the good Belly peanut butter that we had a few episodes ago. It was really good, and it says it's real peanut butter. So no, I like these because these are little bites. These aren't even frosted miniweeds. They're like half the size of a frosted aniweed. Because they're little bites.
Speaker 1: How much smaller can they get?
Speaker 2: I means you could eat more, So it's good, really really going for I just got a chest pain.
Speaker 1: Oh that's from you saying that you could eat more little chocolate bites.
Speaker 2: Now, what I like about these is I like the milk to permeate them just a little bit. So we're gonna wait no, I just like it to get a tiny bit soalg You know, it happens pretty quick, Okay with frosted miniweeds. So here you go.
Speaker 1: Okay, what the hell are you talking about saying these are small?
Speaker 2: These are smaller than frosted minyweights. These are mini btes? Yes they are.
Speaker 1: No, they're not.
Speaker 2: Unfortunately I don't have another box that I can compare it to, but I'm telling you they are.
Speaker 1: The same shape.
Speaker 2: Okay, very sweet, almost like the oreo O's taste.
Speaker 1: I'm not a big fan two bowls?
Speaker 2: Is it because of the shred of wheat? You just don't like the way it feels in your mouth.
Speaker 1: I just don't like it. I don't like the chocolate taste. It just doesn't do anything for me. I'm not the biggest chocolate fan. This is not doing it for me.
Speaker 2: Three balls on a spoon just QUI good.
Speaker 1: For you, bad for me.
Speaker 2: It's very deserty snacky.
Speaker 1: It doesn't do it for me.
Speaker 2: All right. Well, sorry, mister Kellogg.
Speaker 1: Sorry that's underwhelming.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Oh I never did the book report. You'll never do a book report. I will. I promise I'm going to. I kind of know it. I just don't want to get the facts wrong.
Speaker 1: Well, that's nice that you're a good investigative reporter.
Speaker 2: I hate you so much, thanks, doctor b Wait a second, let's go back to nineteen seventies.
Speaker 1: Huh, serial killers. Everyone here is high listen.
Speaker 2: So, now this is a cereal that is made by the same company as Puffins. Oh god, Weeda Bix. No, it's Barbara related. Oh so I found out that the Three Sisters cereal company makes w weed. A Bix makes the Barber products. Barber sold it to them. So this one that's been around for a while. I think Uncle Sam was the same thing. This isn't Uncle Sam. Relatively liked Uncle Sam. Uncle Sam was okay. It was kind of weird though. So let's go back down here. This one is all the way to the right of all the good cereals. It's in the healthy cereal section. Great so, and it's a small box. What the hell it's Alpin Museli. It's not Muscelli. I always thought it was Muscelli, but it's not. Yeah, what the hell is this? It's cereal. It's been around since the seventies.
Speaker 1: To be honest, I would think that it was baking soda. Like if it was just sitting on a shelf and I didn't see that it had granola, I'd be like, oh, it's baking sodall.
Speaker 2: It was originally made by Colgate Palmola way back in the day, but now three Sisters has it.
Speaker 1: You know who would love the peanut butter jelly cereal?
Speaker 2: Oh me Josh?
Speaker 1: Because Josh shares the same appreciation for peanut butter crunchberries.
Speaker 2: Well you should have brought him in for.
Speaker 1: It, or crunch peanut butter pop.
Speaker 2: What are you talking about?
Speaker 1: You know? I get the Captain crunches mixed.
Speaker 2: Up, so many of them. Yeah, all right, so let's open this up. Forty six brands at least. So this just looks like a bunch of oats and some broken up flakes of the hell's in here? I should read the ingredients whole grain oats, whole grain wheat raisins coated with expeller pressed sunflower oil. I don't even know what that means. I don't either, brown cane sugar, almonds and hazel nuts. So not that many ingredients and sugar the first ingredient, No it wasn't. Did you listen? Whole grain oats whole grain wheat. It brown cane sugar is like the fifth ingredient, and it is brown cane sugar. It's not even regular delicious sugar.
Speaker 1: Here's yours, Thank you?
Speaker 2: Mil okay. I feel like this would be a good snack, just to throw in your mouth on the trail.
Speaker 1: What what trail? Where are you? Is this still the seventies?
Speaker 2: You know when we go out hiking, we go backpacking in the woods.
Speaker 1: You backpacking? I would crack up. It's so hot.
Speaker 2: Let's go.
Speaker 1: We went backpack? Is too heavy?
Speaker 2: Wait you no, we went hiking when we were at Elvis's house in Santa Fe. Remember, yeah, like three years ago. What are you talking about? It was during his wedding, like a month ago.
Speaker 1: I wasn't there. I didn't go hiking.
Speaker 2: You didn't. Oh here we go? Oh my goodness. What is this? The Only thing good about it is the raisins. It tastes like some kind of animal feed. I was just about to say that, Oh my god, you put a quarter in that little thing at the petting zoom. This is what comes out bad. Oh my god, I'm gonna take one more spoonful just to test it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I give us two bowls in a spoom. I don't hate it. And listen, if you really were to put that next to some chocolate mini weeds, I would choose this.
Speaker 2: Really m hm, six grams of fiber, very low sodium. It's vegan. Here we go.
Speaker 1: Most cereals are vegan.
Speaker 2: You're not correct, I am. By the way, apple Jack's not vegan. You said they were not, just so you know.
Speaker 1: The intensity, Well in your face, I got angry. Casey comes on this podcast, She's going to tell us what cereals are vegan.
Speaker 2: Well, what's she gonna bring because we've done everything.
Speaker 1: Well, that's the problem that we're having right now. She's like, I'm going to surprise you with a cereal. Have you done this one? I'm like, yep, this one, yep, this one, yep.
Speaker 2: Well we'll see. We don't do duplicates, So good luck, Casey. Casey is that her name? Yes, Okay, see you soon. Mountains of taste in every ball. I'm giving it two balls.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna bum USh up to three.
Speaker 2: Really, two balls from me, three balls from you. All right, Well, you can find it in the cereal aisle all the way to the right of the good cereals. With the pseudo healthy crap like Greg t would probably have liked this one.
Speaker 1: He wouldn't.
Speaker 2: No, it's not full of sugar.
Speaker 1: No, because you know what he would be.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: Now, here's the problem, here's a problem.
Speaker 2: Hear me out. Hear me out.
Speaker 1: Hear me out, hear me out.
Speaker 2: Please, I'm gonna good. Move to hear me out.
Speaker 1: Hear me out.
Speaker 2: Stop.
Speaker 1: Just give me one second. Give me one minute. Give me one minute.
Speaker 2: I'm shutting this off.
Speaker 1: Give me one minute.
Speaker 2: Thank you for listening to this episode of serial Killer Lying to You, Cereal with the Sea Lying to You. Follow us please on Twitter, Instagram, like us on Facebook serial Killers pe c Yes, and we'll still do the t shirt thing where if you take a picture with a Cereal you want us to review, and we do review it, we'll send you a shirt. Love it. Yeah. Right now, we only have large and extra large, no large plus. I'm sorry we're not getting some smalls and mediums too. Thank you guys so much for listening. It's so awesome seeing all the comments and getting tweets from you guys. Like my Twitter feed has never been more blown up. I check it every day and there's at least ten notifications. And the fun thing is you've been at some Elvis book signings and people have come up to you and taking pictures with you because I love Actually, I.
Speaker 1: Wanted to mention that there's so many nice people coming out on his book tour and keep going. Can you say crunch?
Speaker 2: Can you?
Speaker 1: Can we take a picture? Can you say crunch? And I feel so awkward because Elvis stands in the corner and obviously he's doing his Elvis things. Yeah, and there I am in the corner, crunch.
Speaker 2: That's great. We should go on the Serial Killers tour, go to supermarkets and just stand in the serial aisle and see what happens.
Speaker 1: We need this podcast sponsored before that happens. That's not driving you in my mas th. Hey Aldi, Hello, Aldi's instacart. Right, let's talk about instacart for one second this week. First, this is sole part out to send to them.
Speaker 2: Well, because I'm going to say it's for lazy people, Well I use it, Okay, Well you're lazy millennials. Then I don't enjoy shoppingly. I love going to the supermarket. There's something for everybody.
Speaker 1: Also, I have a problem when it comes to shopping in the grocery store.
Speaker 2: What's that.
Speaker 1: I've actually looked up articles to help me with this, So like when you go shopping, and I would love for you to coach me on this. Okay, I cannot go into a supermarket with a list, because when I go in, even with a list, it's like, what if I want to plan next week's meal, It's like, no, I should be going week by week, but instead it'll be like I should buy fourteen stakes, I should buy Iraka.
Speaker 2: Well that's all foreign to me because I go shopping with coupons. That's my list. So I can can envelope full of coupons and I just buy that stuff.
Speaker 1: Can you teach me your ways with couponing? Because listen, I feel like for me, Instacart is good because at least if I'm shopping online, it's like all right, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, like I account for the days. If I'm in a grocery store, it's like someone literally let me off my leash and I'm.
Speaker 2: Like this whole shelf of mac and jeesus mine. I just feel like you can save a lot more money if you actually go to the supermarket and see what's on sale and pair them with your coupons, and one of these days you and I will do a Coupon Corner podcast, because when this is all said and done, we're gonna start talking about coop exciting. Although that was all the rage back in like twenty eleven, I don't think anyone cares about that anymore.
Speaker 1: Former Extreme coupounder Scotty.
Speaker 2: Beee I missed the boat. So hey, thanks for listening. We're gonna get out of here until we see what. Hold on a second, what day is today, Andrew? Oh it's Monday, Gross, it's Monday. Sorry. I hope you had a great weekend and enjoy your week. Thank you so much for listening to Serial Killers. And if there's a bonus episode, maybe we'll see you Wednesday, but there probably won't be, so we'll see you on Friday.
Speaker 1: Okay, way to excite people.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well it's possible because there's one cereal that I'm looking for and I'm not gonna say what it is just in case we already did it, ok because I'll sound stupid, So maybe bonus, maybe not. Thanks for listening, Gonna stop blabbering here, have a great day and until Friday, will see you. Corast you have something witty to say here.
Speaker 1: Andrew, I don't think you need a large plus.
Speaker 2: You think I need a double XL. I hate you.