Speaker 1: Welcome into the Ravens Press Past Podcast. It is Monday, December second. The Ravens fell to the Philadelphia Eagles on Sunday and it's now the team's bye week. The Ravens are sitting at eight and five going into the bye week. They've got four games left in the regular season, and head coach John Harbaugh today talked about the team's focus and approach during this bye week.
Speaker 2: All right, good to see everybody here. Appreciate it. I had a good day to day, met with the guys. They were in watching the tape and going through the game. They'll be coming back Monday for practice and for meetings, and we'll be focusing on the Giants in the meantime. Coaches will be here all week and we're gonna go through really every aspect. It's a little different, you know, with a late bye like this. I don't think it'll be so much geared toward mid season reviews and things like that, because we kind of pretty I think we have a good idea. I know we have a good idea, and where we're at, we're gonna be looking for ideas and adjustments and watching our opponents that we're gonna be playing the next three to four weeks and doing everything we can to be ready for those games and create as many you know, opportunities for our players, put them in position to make plays as we can. That's what we'll be searching out the next you know, five days. Well, questions you.
Speaker 3: Have, John I know we asked about the Anthony Johnson after the game. Is there any other clarification to give with that?
Speaker 2: Right at this time, I'm gonna have to wait just to clarify it. There's there's some moving parts there that that we're gonna have to figure out and explore and just see where we're at. I know it's not the question the answers you want, but it's the best I can do in fairness to everybody.
Speaker 4: Right now, I expecting to continue to be a team.
Speaker 2: I think, like I said, we'll just work it out, see where we're at over the next few days and this.
Speaker 5: Week with the buyer, we what are some of them? And what have you seen in this first part of the thason that and you are freezed with and what kind of adjustments would you want to see before or we just.
Speaker 4: Before a game.
Speaker 2: Yeah, such a big question and a good question, I think that's all encompassing the answer really because it includes every aspect of our team. I mean, there's certain things we want to look at, you know, special teams. There are things on offense and things on defense that we want to look at in terms of, you know, what we can create to be ready for what's in front of us. I mean, I'm happy with the first part of the season. It's not perfect. I like to have a few more wins, but I'm glad we have the wins that we have. You know, everything that we every goal that we have is in front of us, and we have the team to do it. So what can we do to Bill parselves had a great quote he said, the season starts after Thanksgiving. Wow, what a truth for the teams that you know are still in it. And we're one of those teams. So we have an opportunity now the season starts now. I think I'm proud of our guys. I feel like they've fought through a lot of things this year. It's been it's been thirteen straight weeks, had a lot of tough games, had a lot of travel. We've gone against teams kind of in situations where they were you know, they were hot they were at they were at their best, they were in good they were they were playing good football, they were healthy, and it's a challenge and I think our guys handled all those challenges, handled all those challenges really well. So that forges you for what's ahead. It's made us a team that we are and I think recognizing with some rest this week, their legs back under us, we'll have a chance to do really well going forward.
Speaker 5: Take us kind of you thought process as you figure out how to deal with a situation you probably didn't think you'd have to deal with right now, which is Justin Tucker.
Speaker 2: And the kicking issues. So what's the question though.
Speaker 5: Just kind of your thought processes you try to figure out how to fix this, you know, Tougher's issues or however you kind of approach.
Speaker 2: It right now. Yeah, you do. You rack your brain, you think about every thing because that's a big deal, you know obviously, and we all know it. Justin knows it too. I mean points, we're at a premium in the game. They have been a few of these games and sometimes we haven't made the most or opportunity to score points because you know, you're making kicks and so and Justin expects to make every kick, no matter how far it is or what the situation is, and those are makable kicks for him. So yeah, we're racking our brains, talking to Justin, talking to looking at every looking at what we're doing. I'm very confident that it's going to get fixed. I believe it will. It has to, you know, and he's he's the guy to get it fixed. So you know, sometimes you respect the player and you respect his ability to get it worked out. And with help from the coaching from Randy and from Chris, I feel confident that I will get done.
Speaker 6: I feel like, is it a physical thing or a mental thing, or maybe a combination of both, or maybe missing an extra point maybe that leads into.
Speaker 3: The next kick.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean all those things are I think, Oh, he's a part of it. Sure, it's like not simple. It's not a comp it's not a it's not it's not like a one. If it was a one fixed thing, it would be easy. You know, it's definitely not. He's kicking really well in practice. You know, he's kicking really well in practice. He's kicking really well in pregame, so you know that the physical ability is there. It's just a matter of doing it. It's just that's that's what he said to me this morning. I know what I have to do. I just have to do it in those situations. So that's what it really boils down to.
Speaker 4: You've continued to send him out there for longer kicks. Would you say that your decision making process and when to use Justin has a coach games?
Speaker 2: Well, I wouldn't say it hasn't really changed. I mean when he was hitting the you know, the you know, three or four years ago, hitting the bombs, we were we were going, you know, fifty seven, fifty eight, fifty six pretty regularly. That's tightened up a little bit, you know, circumstances and games field conditions too, But fifty two to fifty, you know, those are kicks he's very capable of making.
Speaker 3: You you've mentioned your your approach with Justin that you believe it's wise to sit with him. Do you believe there's any merits to bringing in another kicker, at least to have him on the practice squad, maybe to work out guys, and you know, because you guys haven't had to look at kickers.
Speaker 2: On one time, right, Yeah, I don't think of anything wrong with that, you know, it wouldn't. I wouldn't want to be a message or anything like that, other than the fact that you want to turn over every stone and make sure you've seen all the guys at every position. If there were guys out there that Randy looked at and our scouts looked at and said that was something that that you know we should do, we would do it. But I don't think that's the answer, knowing you know, from what I've talked, I've talked to Randy in the scouts. Knowing who's out there right now. It's not to say the darn guys capable, but there's nobody nearly as good as Justin Tucker out there with Justin.
Speaker 7: As a video and giving him a hug after gingness, I think his star king.
Speaker 3: Did you feel like it was important for him to feel supported in their moment?
Speaker 5: What was your mind that there?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I did see a picture of that. To me, I just said, hey, you know you're gonna make the game winner. Get ready to make the game winner. That was the conversation, so and I was confident that he would do that.
Speaker 4: Lamar May mentioned that the conversation ever with his mom that she was saying they were running lady for him, and he was kind of agree. In retrospect, have you said seen anything from film that shows Lamar and is passing on an official run that maybe he should take.
Speaker 2: No, I wouldn't generalize it like that. I mean, I think every place stands on sowing. Lamar is such a creative player. You know, he'll scramble out there and he'll he made a couple of throws too, didn't he. You know where he hit Zay once or twice, hit some guys, so hit Mark for the touchdown, you know, instead of running. So I really trust Lamar. I trust his mom too. This mom is a good judge. She's she's seen more of Lamar ball than anybody, you know, so I'm sure she has a great handlot. So let Lamar and his mom, you know, talk through all that stuff. But I trust Lamar to make good decisions. I mean, he's he's too good. He's he's he's just too productive, move around the pocket. He's too much of a problem for defenses, and I think he makes a lot of good decisions doing that.
Speaker 3: John Keith Mitchell was in active history. Is he is he dealing with any unexpected physical challenges as he kind of works his way back in or kind.
Speaker 2: Of where is he right now? Great question. No one expected physical challenges, but there's definitely physical challenges with what he's gone through. It was a very serious knee injury, and he came back quick as you possibly could from it. I also wanted to give Rashid a chance. You know, he's been working hard and you saw it on the kickoff returns, how explosive he looked on that. So it just made sense to kind of, you know, give give Keaton a little rest, give a rasheta chance, and I like those two guys, you know, so we'll just kind of they'll both be in the mixic going forward.
Speaker 7: They always napcount was quite low.
Speaker 8: Was it a physical thing?
Speaker 6: Was a matter of being playing with the personnel?
Speaker 2: Well, it was a run game, a run defense game for sure, and you know, t Rob's been doing such a good job and those kind of personnel groups where we're defended against the run, and it kind of it came up a lot in the game, and that's that's why we did that. It was more of a run game decision.
Speaker 4: Also among the Swims and Only Scratch today is there a way word for him to find a.
Speaker 2: Way up for the season. There is, there is. You know right now he's the third safety. In terms of filling in, you have to make a decision in a game based on personnel and who's up with special teams. So you know, we got the young guys who play special teams. He's not really a special teams guy. Marcus is a starting safety type guy for sure. And like I said before, I feel like when Marcus gets back out there, and you got to assume over the course of these games, he's going to get back out there, he'll be ready to play. He and I had a great conversation this week. He's a pro. He worked hard, he's he's ready for when his opportunity comes back to get out there to play his best football. And that's why he's valuable to our football team in that in that type of a role, John, could you.
Speaker 3: Buy you I'm sure you'll review everything. Is it but impossible that you may make some changes on the offensive line or is that Is that one of the areas you're going to look at, maybe to get some guys, fresh guys in there and keep them an opportunity.
Speaker 2: You know, I think we're pretty well set there not I think those guys could come in the other guys that are working hard could come in and help us. But I'm not down on anybody in the offensive line. That's a really good front we played against. I think we could have played better, especially in pass protection. Those guys would tell you that it could have been better. Even in the run blocking sometimes for sure. But I don't think it merits any any drastic changes right now, other than the fact that you know, Josh goes in there sometimes in the extra line. He could be he could give a chance, you know, Ben, I think he goes in there extra line. You know, I think he'd played well if he went in there. But I like the way the offensive line has played over the last number of weeks.
Speaker 5: Is taking a step forward in the past few weeks. How much of it goes.
Speaker 2: Back to that chemistry and players executing, and how much of it is maybe this new coaching staff where it occurs starting to chart them. Well, Uh, it's it's I think we've just locked in on some things and we're playing. We're playing. Our deep coverage is better, bottom line, you know. Uh, there's all those things that you mentioned probably factor in one way or another. But uh, at the end, you look at it and you say, Okay, you watch the coverage, you watch the guys spacing, positioning eyes, the communication, the checks that get made, and you just keep chasing doing the right things. It's not it's it's not. We haven't change the defense. You know, we're just playing it a lot better.
Speaker 5: John, I don't know if you haven't any a lady book for Sean Batan.
Speaker 8: An An.
Speaker 2: Got sore in the game. You know, he had treatment today. It's not a long term thing, so it's something he he like all the guys have these kind of things. I think a lot of guys have these kind of things late in the season. The bye week will really help them. I do believe that you have enough us.
Speaker 1: He came as well.
Speaker 2: Let Yeah, he's got a hamstring. It's it's not a major hamstring. So he'll be working through that and we'll see how he is for the next game.
Speaker 6: And we've seen over the last couple of weeks more used out of Chris Ward. What goes into that decision and what have you.
Speaker 4: Seen from him?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean Chris is as a veteran player. You know, he's played been a special team's top special teams player, and he's been a solid linebacker whenever he's played. I think he started in Detroit. Uh, so he's played well. You know, he had a couple hill a couple plays he wanted back in the past game, I think in some of the one or two of the zone coverage situations. But he's solid force, takes a little pressure off Trent. I think Malik also saw it in the Chargers game. Same way. We've got to find uh, you know, just give those guys a chance to play and and use all of our guys.
Speaker 4: John for just BI week have pretty exceptional stretch where he played three games and I think eleven ays and you know, two short weeks following that giant game. Is the bye lead a chance to prev a head for any of that stuffing in You just lead more into this time for that stretch.
Speaker 2: It is for the coaches, absolutely, We'll definitely be looking at all three of those games in the bye week, and then you look for plays that apply to all three teams. Opportunities to make the reps count for all three games as much as you can. That's definitely something we're thinking about.
Speaker 3: John, Is we didn't get a chance to ask you. If I'm Malette, I know you can come back twice from I R is there an is he a season ending now or no? He just feels still lectors hope for him.
Speaker 2: It remains to be seen. I think there's hope remains to be seen. So that's one of those ones up in the.
Speaker 6: Air, coach, when you say all the goals are still incarning to do, and they are. Is it maybe a different path though of it from previous seasons where you might not be you know, at home to start off with, or something of that nage or maybe is that too far ahead to look down.
Speaker 2: Too far ahead to look around? You know, that'll be determined, you know, the next four games for sure. But we're right there. We can do it. We can win the division. You know, we can make it as a wild card. We could be out. You know, it's up to us that I feel like. I feel like if we win the games, we'll be in real good shape.
Speaker 4: Last night, there was you know, Za Flowers looked a couple of times, came up with Field looking visibly agitated and was opened.
Speaker 2: Didn't see them.
Speaker 9: Whatever had no catch In the second half of fact, the wide receivers collectively only having one was there sign other.
Speaker 6: Pressure was one issue. But what what what do you think broke down there from physically getting involved receivers.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and that's all. That's everything happens.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 2: It's a tough game against a really good defense, a really good front. Uh, you know, in a in a hard fought ball game, you know. So you know, everybody wants to contribute and and wants to make the plays. That's what I love about our guys. You know, they compete. Nobody ever points the finger. You know, nobody's mad. It's just not easy. It's not Things don't just fall in place because they fall in place. I mean, you're going against a tough team and uh and competing out there and and we you know, we just we didn't get the points we needed in the second half. We were capable of it. We didn't get him. Uh we got we had good plays and we had we had plays that didn't work, you know, and we had opportunities that we didn't cash in on. So that's National Football League Week, the week disappointed. Where can we get better? And what do we need to do next? Next game we play? In the next four games, that's really what we're looking at.
Speaker 4: John.
Speaker 9: I think Patrick McCarey is now over his career high for for snaps played in the season. We know at times earliest career, you guys had to kind of manage his workload. How do you see him just handling this this kind of season stretch, beating somewhat on charted life.
Speaker 2: Yeah, great question. I feel like great accomplishment by him. You know, thirteen straight weeks, you know, he's played pretty much every snap, right, Uh, that's that's that's the accomplishment because that had been a challenge for him in the past. So I think he deserves a lot of credit for that. He's played very good football. Big play us John.
Speaker 8: Against the Eagles, Nix Yerani essentially said that the Ravens had to match their physicality intensity. Do you feel that your team hasn't played with the physicality that you expect in these more challenging games that you faced this season?
Speaker 2: Of course, of course, I mean every coach says that. That's what coaches say.
Speaker 4: John.
Speaker 7: You mentioned just how impressive the Eagles pass push was. They didn't need a lot of blizzards to kind of knock them are off as spots of how do you think their ability to get into the pocket maybe impact what you guys wanted to do in the passing game.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's going to always if you're not you know, have clean protection, you have a clean pocket every single snap, It's going to be an issue for sure. I mean the Eagles are good. They got a good front, a bunch of talented guys. They did a good job. That's part of what I was just talking about. That's the challenge of the That's the challenge of football in this league when you play that, when you play the good teams, And just to be clear, you know that's not the only good team we played. Remember all the good teams we played. Are you down the stretch? You're going back? So I'm not down in our guys at all. I'm not disappointed. I'm not worried. I'm excited. We've got a bunch of tough, competitive fighters that want to be the best they can be, you know. So that's how I look at it.
Speaker 1: You're listening to the Rayvens pres Pass podcast, make sure you hit that subscribe button. Also head over to the Lounge podcast feed and subscribe there as well. Tomorrow we'll get a chance to hear from the coordinators as the players have a few days off over the course of this buy, and the coaches, as John Harbaugh mentioned, are going to be working a way over the course of this week finding ways to improve this team coming out of the bye week. Thank you so much for listening. We'll be back with you again tomorrow