Speaker 1: Google unveils the Pixel six and the Pixel six Pro. Apple on veils new MacBook pros and new AirPods and more. Samsung on veils new colors for its flip phone. Plus Your tech questions Answered.
Speaker 2: What's going on?
Speaker 1: I Richdemiro and this is Rich on Tech, the podcast where I talk about the tech stuff I.
Speaker 2: Think you should know about.
Speaker 1: It's also the place right answer the questions that you send me. I'm the tech reporter at KTLA Channel five in Los Angeles. Welcome to the folks watching on Facebook Live right now. Sometimes I do it on Facebook Live, Sometimes I don't. It just depends how I'm feeling that day. If I'm inspired to put it on Facebook, I will. But a lot of people when they're watching on Facebook are like, what's going on here? Like what's this guy talking about? Like who's this guy in my feed? So it happens. So a couple things this week, Big big tech week. Oh my gosh, so many events. We had an event on Monday for Apple Virtual of course, and we had an event on Tuesday for what was the second one? Then it was Google, and then the third one was Samsung.
Speaker 2: Not so much. I'll be honest.
Speaker 1: I didn't really have to tune into that one because I kind of knew what it was and it's interesting, but it's not as groundbreaking as the gadgets we saw from the other ones. But I did do something fun over the weekend. I went to Irvine, California. If you've never been, I highly recommend. It's a totally underrated place.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's beautiful.
Speaker 1: It's like, actually like number eleven best place to live in America. And I've been trying to convince my wife to move there, but she won't have it. She's from La, so she wants to stay in the La proper. But it is so nice. It's so clean, everything's so new. They actually have a lot of tech companies down there. We went to a place near the Irvine Spectrum Mall, which is it was like a family reunion kind of thing. So we're meeting up with a bunch of people. We all stay at the Marriott. It was fantastic. If you've listened to me on the show, I don't know I've ever talked about this, but I've always been a Hilton person and I've always pooh pooed Marriotts. I don't know why the Marriotte was so nice and it was like just a basic hotel, and so now I think I got to switch my allegiances to the Marriott. But I try not to play the points game too much. I really don't because I don't want to get like suckered into like all these different little schemes that these marketers do with the points. So I do try to like stay I got. I did get suckered in with Hilton. But anyway, long story short, Marriott was nice, Irvine was nice.
Speaker 2: And over the.
Speaker 1: Weekend I tested out these ray band stories. These are sunglasses from ray Ban and Facebook, and they have little cameras in them and they allow you to record things as you walk around. You can record video, you can take pictures. And I had a blast with these things testing them out. I've got some thoughts. I'll put them in a future TV segment, But the bottom line is these sunglasses have gotten so close to actual just regular sunglasses that you can put on and kind of forget that there's a camera in there except for battery life and transferring all the pictures. That it is a very compelling new way to capture video and pictures. And I don't know if it's there just yet, but I will say it's pretty phenomenal what they were able to do in a form factor that is pretty much typical sunglasses.
Speaker 2: They're just a little bit thicker on the edges. But I had a lot of fun.
Speaker 1: The one thing I noticed about that is that I bounce around a lot, like when I walk, your video is going to be very shaky. And you also look around a lot in different places. So when you do that, your video is just kind of all over the place. So it kind of it takes a bit to realize that you're taking a video and you should stay in one place. But that was really cool. Let's just get into the top story of the week. I guess this debate what the top story is. It could be the pixel, it could be the MacBooks. But because the pixel, well I don't know. I'm gonna start with with Google because I've been talking about this on the podcast for so long. How I can't wait to switch to this pixel? And I got to say number one, I'm just gonna get this out there. Google really just kind of like threw me under the bus with this. I don't know why. I don't know what I did to Google. I don't know what I said, maybe my last review of the I need to look at my review of the Pixel five and see what I said, because they just exed me. They did not communicate with me about this press conference. They did not send me anything. They did not send me the phones to review. And when I say they didn't send me the phones to review, I'm not kidding. They sent a pair of Pixels to every single person that has a YouTube account. It seems so every single person that I see on my Twitter timeline has a gift from Google. Thank you Pixel, Thank you Pixel, Thank you Google. I mean, people that don't even review review phones, people that have never even used a Pixel are getting these. They're given them out like candy. And here me, someone who runs a national tech segment, did not get one to review for it. Now I had to ask them and they are like, well, well, we'll look at your request and see what we think and get back to you.
Speaker 2: So I don't know.
Speaker 1: And this was a phone that I actually wanted to purchase for myself to buy as my new phone. But now I'm not so sure because I'm like, what's Google hiding here? Okay, here's what I said. Google's latest Pixel smartphones, excellent camera and a decent price, but not as exciting as competitors, So I think that's pretty fair. And then I went through and kind of like, you know, talked about the rest of this stuff. I mean, I even said I would recommend the four A five G for most people at five hundred bucks. So I don't know anyway, So that's besides the point. Let's talk about what the Pixel is all about. You know, the Pixel is all about a great camera, great software. But now Google is adding their own profit cesser into the mix. They call it Tensor, and they're saying it's going to be much more powerful this time around. And that was really what was lacking in the Pixels of years past, is that it never felt like a very powerful phone. In fact, they admitted it in their keynote. They said, we always built the software around basically not very good hardware, like low powered hardware, and now, for the first time, we get to build software around high powered hardware, and it just opens up a whole bunch of stuff. So Number one, the prices on these phones are pretty amazing. Six hundred bucks for the standard one and then nine hundred for the Pro, which has a bigger screen, faster refresh rate. But the camera set up is pretty identical, except the Pro has a zoom camera whereas the standard one does not, and it's got this weird design They call it a camera bar, but it's just as weird, like shelf on the back of the phone for the camera.
Speaker 2: I think it's kind of odd.
Speaker 1: I like much more symmetrical phones, and I also don't like phones where the edges taper off, so I've gotten really used to how the iPhone has a nice blocky feel these days, and I think it's like the perfect phone design. So I'm not sure that I'll like this design even so. There Google, They say the Pixel six Pro is inspired by the finishes you see in luxury jewelry and watches. They do kind of a fun thing with some of the colors, you know, it's got Android twelve on it, and this big thing about material you where it kind of like matches the whole theme of the phone to your wallpaper. That is not a selling point to me, but it's cool. They've also extended the security support update to five years now. That's a pretty big win in my book, because that means if you purchase this phone, you can pretty much use this thing for five years. If you're a casual, average user that just wants a nice phone that takes great pictures. Five years, that's do the math. That's a great investment. It says they capture one hundred and fifty percent more light compared to the Pixel five, four times optical zoom up to twenty times zoom with their super res The front camera records four K video. It's got this magic eraser feature that automatically deletes things from your pictures. It's got various modes to like help you take pictures of your kids without them, you know, having blurry faces or whatever. They also tweak the camera so that it gets appropriate and proper skin tones for all skin types, not just one group of people.
Speaker 2: So that's nice.
Speaker 1: Let's see what else. Pixel six oh improves speech recognition.
Speaker 2: This is big.
Speaker 1: You know, Google's done a lot of work with AI when it comes to speech recognition, Google Translate, so a lot of that is built into this. And we know that the voice recognition on Android is way better than the voice recognition on iPhone. Now, it's gotten a lot better on iPhone over the past couple of years. I'll give it that but Siri absolutely cannot handle anything very complex proper names business names. Google takes a lot of different cues from like let's say you say you want to call business. It will look at like where you're located and know that if you say Al's car shop, it knows that you want the Al's car shop near you wherever you are, and not just some random place like I've asked serious stuff and she'll find stuff like thousands of miles away that makes no sense.
Speaker 2: Maybe it's gotten a little better.
Speaker 1: It also has all the Google smarts, like for phone calls, like it'll tell you how long to wait or wait times are at a big business before you call. It will decode phone trees on your phone screen so that if it says tap one for this, tap two for that, it'll show that on your screen. It's got a lot of live translate features which work in I know, Japanese and a couple other languages offline, which is really oh, English, French, German, Italian, and Japanese. So that's really cool. You can get all those language interpretations done even offline, which is really nice in some cases, like the first time I ever went to Japan, what a nightmare. It was because my phone didn't work and everything was just tough. And nowadays everything works everywhere that I've seen and been. But anyway, but the translation stuff is pretty.
Speaker 2: Nice, all right.
Speaker 1: So six hundred dollars for the standard, nine hundred for the pro. They're in stores on October twenty eighth. I'll probably just walk over to Target and pick up one of these things. Even if I don't end up keeping it, I can always give it to my mom because she's a Pixel user and I usually get her a pixel anyway, So if I hate this thing, I'll just give it to her. But I always like to have an Android phone to use, and I think that this phone's gonna be great. Right now, they have this weird embargo going with all the people that they sent the phone to that where they can't show pictures from the phone. So this is a phone that's known for amazing pictures, and Google told all ten thousand people that it sent free phones to don't post any pictures from this phone. That's weird. Why did they do that, I don't know. So October twenty eighth will get it in stores, and we'll probably get a better idea once the embargo lifts and people can actually post stuff from.
Speaker 2: This phone and about this phone.
Speaker 1: All right, let's get to the first question of the day. Susie says, I recently read an article that the much anticipated iPad Mini six has a jelly roll screen issue.
Speaker 2: Sounds delicious to me.
Speaker 1: The article also indicated that Apple has no plans to fix the problem, probably because it's not a problem. I also really enjoy having a per size iPad that I can carry with me. But I'm gonna quandary over purchasing this device with a known scrolling problem. My Mini four is exhibiting some issues, and I don't know how much longer it can perform. What would you suggest making the purchase waiting alternative device. Thank you for any help you can offer, Susie, And Vice Salia, Vice Salia. I was just there in Vice Salia, Susie, I could have said hi and answered your question in person. Susie, here's my thoughts on this. Just ignore the jelly roll issue. I doubt it's a big deal. I just it's one of these things where let me see what so I mean, it's one of these things where who came.
Speaker 2: Up with it?
Speaker 1: Okay, so, where did the jelly roll, so it can it originated. Okay, the issue was not mentioned in any iPad reviews, according to Eymore, but it was first reported by The Verge, and then Reddit has latched on and saying there's a bunch of people who you know, experience the same issue. And let me look at the Reddit comments real quick, ninety four comments. So I think, Susie, this is a whole bunch of don't worry about it. It's not a big issue. Now here's my recommendation. Go to the Apple Store. You can pick up one of these little iPad minis and feel it and go to a website that you would typically go to. Go to a website with a long article, scroll through.
Speaker 2: The jelly effect.
Speaker 1: The jelly roll effect is like when they said, like one side of the screen kind of goes up and it looks like it's advancing faster than the other side. I don't we've heard about this before with all kinds of phones, but I think at the end of the day, it's maybe people getting used to a new display.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: But the reality is you can go into the Apple Store, go to a bunch of websites, play with this thing. See if you notice anything. If you don't notice anything, you're gonna be just fine. I'm sure this. I'm not one hundred percent sure because sometimes with Apple stuff comes out later and later, but I have a feeling that it will probably be just fine. So I say, go get the iPad Mini. I've got my eyes on one of these things. I'd like to get one as well.
Speaker 2: They're so nice.
Speaker 1: I went too the Apple Store at the Irvine Spectrum and it was just it's so amazing that it's just how lively the Apple Store is. You go into any other store in the mall and yeah, there's a couple of people here and there or whatever, but you go into the Apple Store and it's just like alive. There's so many people and they're all doing something, and there's so many people there to help you. We went into Chipotle last night and for dinner, which, by the way, the brisket was delicious, and I've wanted to try that for a while. But I'm telling you, the place was like it felt like I was on life it was on life support. There's like three people working the entire place. And I mean, we've seen this over and over with a lot of places where it's just tough to get help right now, but the Apple store doesn't have that problem. There were so many people everywhere I turned, Hey can I help you?
Speaker 2: Hey?
Speaker 1: Can I help you? Can I help you? Can I help you?
Speaker 2: And I'm like, Wow, this is amazing.
Speaker 1: Okay, so let's talk about the MacBook pros. These are the new highly anticipated computers. I know, just speaking for myself because I want to get one. But I was waiting for the M one chip to come out on when I bought my MacBook Pro, but it didn't. So I'm glad I didn't wait, because it was like two years ago that I bought this computer. I would have been waiting a long time. But now they've got the MacBook Pro fourteen and sixteen inch. They've got two new processors, the M one Pro and the M one Max. And bottom line, I'm not going to spend a whole bunch of time on specs, but these are processors that Apple has ditched Intel to make their own processors. They started with the M one last year and it got great reviews. People went nuts over it. Now they're coming out with even higher, higher end versions of this processor, the Pro and the Max, which supposedly are gonna be even better, and I'm sure they are, because I don't think there's one reviewer that didn't say the M one was amazing. So the fourteen and sixteen inch MacBook Pros, they've got a new.
Speaker 2: Display with a higher refresh rate.
Speaker 1: They've got a FaceTime HD camera, so now the cameras are actually upgraded, or the camera, I should say. Let's see what else. It's got a bunch of ports on it. So you've got Thunderbolt three, Thunderbolt four ports, an SDXC card slot, HDMI port, and mag Safe three and of course a headphone jack. And the mag Saf three is the old mag Safe coming back. So on these laptops. Apple took everything away in the last couple of years, and now they've brought it all back, all the features that the pros wanted, and so I'm glad they listened to people. Let's see what else. I forgot to mention something. I've got the ports. Oh yeah, touchbar. Touch bar is gone. Now this is a feature that I did not I begrudgingly bought my laptop with the touch bar on it, and I did not want the touch bar, but to get the features that I wanted in my computer. I had to get the touch bar, and so I got it. I've never used it. It's horrible, and I am so glad it's gone with real keys now because there was just no use for it. It didn't make sense for me to have this thing on my computer. Clearly I was not I was with a lot of other people.
Speaker 2: On that one.
Speaker 1: That's basically all you need to know about the MacBook pros. I mean, obviously, if you're gonna get one of these, you're gonna look into all the dimensions of it and exactly what it can do and.
Speaker 2: All of the specs.
Speaker 1: But it's two thousand dollars starting price for the fourteen inch, twenty five hundred for the sixteen inch. And don't forget that there are education prices on these things, so if you're a student or you're in that world, you can get it as low as eighteen fifty for the fourteen inch and twenty three hundred for the bigger sixteen inch.
Speaker 2: But here's the thing. I don't say this all lightly.
Speaker 1: This is a lot of money, but if you're buying a pro computer, I call it the money maker, because this computer is what enables me to make a living and it's what I use every day.
Speaker 2: I rely on it. It's it's my baby.
Speaker 1: And honestly, I could get a work issued computer if I wanted, but I don't want it. I want this. I want to spend my money on this computer because I can do things my way. I can set it up the way I like, and I own it.
Speaker 2: And by the.
Speaker 1: Way, my computer that I bought two years ago for probably twenty five hundred bucks or twenty eight hundred dollars, I don't know how much it was, I need to look up the receipt I can get about fourteen hundred dollars for it as a trade in, and so they hold their value. Now. If I was going to give this to my son, that would be great, but I think this is a little bit too powerful for a ten year old. I don't think he needs this. I was going to hand down my computer to him. He can hand down his computer to my littler kid, but I feel like we don't need to do that right now because it's computer. Plus, I kind of just want the fourteen hundred bucks towards the new one because I'm looking at spending a lot of money here in the next couple weeks, but that's it. Those are coming out on Tuesday, October twenty sixth.
Speaker 2: If you've got by the way, the.
Speaker 1: Battery life on these things are amazing.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah.
Speaker 1: The one downside is the notch in the display.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: I love how Apple spins it. They say the display features even thinner borders and extends up around the camera. They don't say notch to provide users with even more room for their content. Oh Apple, it's a positive thing that you added this weird looking notch. So they said they work with developers to try to make the top area more for like the menu and all your little icons and stuff, which they did. But still it's just kind of funny. Like people give the notch a hard time on the iPhone, now they can give the notch a hard time on the on the laptops as well.
Speaker 2: Let's see.
Speaker 1: Oh, the one thing if you want to know is mac os Monterey will be available as a free software download on Monday, October twenty fifth, and so I will be updating my computer on Monday. And there's a reason for that, and I'll get into it later in the podcast. All right, uh, Saban says, hey currently using AirPods one. Now I want to get the new ones, but the third generation doesn't have noise cancelation.
Speaker 2: What do you recommend?
Speaker 1: AirPods three or AirPods Pro? Price doesn't matter which ones are better? Sent from my iPhone.
Speaker 2: Oh you know what, I will.
Speaker 1: Actually go into my story about the h the AirPods. I didn't realize this question was about the AirPods, So let's talk about the new AirPods. This is also what Apple introduced. The new AirPods now look just like the AirPods Pro, but they don't have those little rubber tips on them.
Speaker 2: And they don't seal up your ears.
Speaker 1: And the design is just a little bit different. They look like kind of like mini pros, but they're really nice looking, and they've got some new features including adaptive VQ, spatial audio, and dynamic head tracking. And if you have not, if you have not experienced spatial audio or dynamic head tracking, it's pretty darn cool. So those are new features that are really nice on these. Also, they're sweat and water resistant, which is kind of funny because how many people in the world have used their AirPods while working out and never had a problem or in the rain or something maybe in the rain, but working out, I mean sweat.
Speaker 2: Come on, I've so many people use these.
Speaker 1: My wife has the regular AirPods that don't you know, and she's never had a problem. But anyway, we've got that new feature. And then the case. This is something that's interesting. The case is also water resistant. It's ipx four, which is not like the biggest in the world, but it's good, which means if you drop your case and like a puddle, it's not going to totally short out your air pods, which is nice. They also have this four sensor on the stem, which I'm not a big fan of, but it's just how it is.
Speaker 2: That's how the AirPods Pro are. You get a lot of.
Speaker 1: Battery life six hours listening time and then thirty hours total with the charging case, which is by the way, not only wireless charging compatible, so you can put it on any wireless charger, but you can also put it on a mag Safe charger, the same one that you use on your iPhone and it will charge these things up. So these are the third generation AirPods. It's gonna be confusing because they look like the AirPods Pro and but they're not. And so these are just the standard AirPods now and those are kind of like the main features. Let me see if I left any features out on their AirPods. No. Five minutes of charge will give you an hour of use, which is kind of nice if you ever like, pick up your AirPods and they're kind of dead and you want to, you know, go on a run or something. One hundred and seventy nine dollars, so not cheap, not cheap at all. One hundred and eighty dollars. Now they are cheaper than when AirPods first launched. They were one ninety nine, and so you're getting more for your money for less. So if you look at it that way, look on the bright side, you're you're winning. Tuesday, October twenty sixth is when these come out. So to answer your question, Saban about AirPods, you want to get them now? The new ones, the third generation, they do not have noise cancelation, and I would say, actually, my preference are the AirPods three because I think the Airpod's three will feel better in your ears if you don't like that closed out kind of like when you put the AirPods pro in, it's like sh you're just like sealed up, you know what I mean, your air You're there's nothing getting in your ears, nothing getting out. It's like a very like underwater feeling that I'm personally not a fan of, which is why I don't really wear the AirPods like walking through the airport and stuff, because it's just not that comfortable for me. But the AirPods three, I think will be a lot better because they don't do that. They don't seal out your ears. Now you do lose the noise cancelation. So if that's important to you, I would go with the AirPods pro. But otherwise I think that pretty much that's the big differentiator between these two devices. And so I think that between those two things, you know, I mean not gonna it's let's see, I'm trying to see if I have some information on these AirPods that are that I can go into a little bit more depth here.
Speaker 2: But I don't think I do. Yeah, I don't. Let's see, do I have it right here?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: I do?
Speaker 1: Okay, So let me just see real quick there's anything different on these things that would be like a major Okay, so AirPods pro versus Okay, so they've got the four sensor active noise cancelation on the Pro. They've both got the dynamic head tracking and spatial audio. They both have Adaptive EQ, they both have automatic switching, they both have auto sharing, they both announced notifications, they both have h SERI, they both have the Find my Network, the proximity view, the separation alerts. They do have the The charging is the same, The ip x four is the same, but you get the.
Speaker 2: Case on the Pro.
Speaker 1: On the AirPods third generation, and you do get a little bit more listening time on the Airpod's third generation. So I would say go with AirPods third generation unless you need the no cancelation. All right, good question. All right, let's move on to Samsung. This is gonna be real quick, but Samsung had an event where they announced the Galaxy Z Flip three Bespoke Edition. The Bespoke Edition. This is a phone that you can customize the color on. Samsung says they tested thousands of color options and identified hues that would perfectly complement each other no matter the combination, which is handy for a guy like me that cannot match if my life depended on it. The result is a palette of forty nine possible color combinations for the Bespoke edition of the z Flip three, customers can mix and match to create their own combination. You've got phone frame options of black or silver, and front and back colors of blue, yellow, pink, white, or black. You can also register to replace your device panel with new colors at Samsung dot com. So that means you can keep pace with your evolving style. You gotta be really uh, that's that's that's a bit much. So. The Bespoke Edition is one thousand, ninety nine. It comes with twelve months of Samsung Care Plus, which is kind of nice. You're covered from accidental damage, including a screen replacement, water damage, and back cover replacement. Could also get up to a six hundred dollars trading credit. And the regular flip I believe.
Speaker 2: Is nine ninety nine. Oh my gosh. This.
Speaker 1: I know all this stuff like the first day it comes out, and then I forget it like later on because I just, you know, like I don't have to remember it.
Speaker 2: So let's see the full Let's see how much is it?
Speaker 1: The z flip three is yeah, nine ninety nine, So I mean you're paying like one hundred bucks more for a Bespook edition. All right, let's get to the next question of the show. Tracy says, is it true that iPhone X and below will no longer be able to be used after December twenty twenty one. Now I had to look this up because I was a little I was like, wait, is there something I didn't hear about iPhone? Did I say iPhone X iPhone ten? It's written X, but it's iPhone ten. So Tracy, I'm gonna give this a big old hold on. Let me put the volume up here. Definitely not true. I don't know where you saw this rumor, but it's not true. If you go to the iOS fifteen web page, this is when it tells you all. If you scroll all the way to the bottom, it will tell you all the phones that iOS fifteen is supported on, which iOS fifteen just came out. So if this was true, then the iPhone ten would not be listed on this page. And by the way, it is, and a whole bunch of phones before the iPhone ten are still supported all the way back to the iPhone's success. And so you've got success, you've got seven, you've got eight, you've got there's no nine. And then you've got ten, so you've got, like, I think, at least two more years, three more years before this phone is not supported, more like three years. So I don't think that that's going away anytime soon. But you know, this is what happens. We see all these rumors and memes and stuff online, and we you know, it's tough. There's a lot of misinformation out there. It's just the reality of kind of like people being able to share whatever they want, which is great, but it leaves us to be the fact checkers. And when you scroll through, it's like I'm scrolling through social media and I'm reading something and I'm.
Speaker 2: Like, is that true? Wait, okay, And.
Speaker 1: Then I got to go and search Google and see and cross checking. All of a sudden, I'm like a mini like Jeopardy fact checker, you know, and I find the answer and I'm still not sure sometimes, but the answer from me is yes, the phone will be fine. It's not going to be no longer used after December twenty twenty. And I don't even know where they got that date from, because Apple doesn't even do anything in December. They don't like, they don't change anything, they don't release new software, they don't really do anything, all right. Moving on, Apple has a new voice only music plan. This is called the Apple Music Voice Plan, and you save a whole bunch of money. It's only four ninety nine a month, which is amazing. Who doesn't want to say fifty percent off of a standard subscription that's more like nine ninety nine a month. And by the way, mark my words, music services have held steady at nine ninety nine a month for a very long time. So I would not be surprised if we see them go up in price.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: I'm hoping that doesn't happen, but we've seen a lot of prices increase lately on all the streaming services, just in everyday life, and so I would not be surprised if these streaming music services use this sort of inflation we're experiencing as a way to sneak in a little dollar dollar month the upgrade or a dollar monthly increase. I should say, I'm just saying I don't know, I have no I've not privy to any information there, but I just feel like we've been hovering at that. I mean, Spotify has been out now for I mean many years. Let's see Spotify launch date July twenty twenty July twenty eleven. So July twenty eleven, you're talking ten years at nine to ninety nine a month, I think we might be seeing a price increase. So I would be careful, just you know, put that in your budget, but just budget ahead for you know, the twelve extra dollars for the year or whatever. If you're like me, you're paying for all these various services because they're all don't know.
Speaker 2: I won't get into my problems.
Speaker 1: Uh. Anyway, So this new service plan is called Apple Music Voice Plan. You get access to everything. You get ninety million songs, tens of thousands of playlists, including hundreds of brand new playlists.
Speaker 2: So what they did was they went through and rewrote.
Speaker 1: All these playlists to say, H SERI play music for Italian dinner party, or H Siri play some cocktail music, or H Siri play some music for drinking Margarite's Oh well, where's my mind? H Siri play some music for working out there you go, and so she will or Siri will play you know, the music that's appropriate. So but you can call out a song. There's a lot of confusion about this because people thought it was like Pandora where you can't necessarily say a specific song. You have to play like kind of a mix. But no, you can say a specific song you want, but it all has to be through your voice and you have to use Siri. And this works on all your different devices car Play, AirPods, HomePod, whatever, iPhone. But it's five dollars a month, four ninety nine, and you can't you know, I kind of pressed Apple on this. I'm like, well, so I open the app, and what happens. I can't type in like an artist I want to listen to. And I don't think I got a straight answer, honestly, but it sounds like that's the case. Like when the app will be different, it will be tailored just towards this voice plan. So we'll see how this works. I mean, if I was a single plan user, like if I was just by myself and I just had a music plan, i'd probably do this because why not for to say fifty percent of well, I don't know, I do like browsing playlists, and so that's.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: Maybe I wouldn't do this, But I mean, and I don't actually use a lot of voice commands to play music because I don't know what I want to listen to. So a lot of times I'll just open up Spotify and I will just look through all the different playlists and like I'll start at a genre, be like workout. Okay, I've got workout, workout, whatever that is. I've got workout sunny days, whatever that is. I've got workout motivation, I've got beast Mode. It took me so long to play the beast Mode playlist because I think I talked about this before, but they have this big old muscle guy on the front, and I was like, well, that's not me. So clearly this is for like guys in the gym, like doing like hard weights, right, like lifting all that.
Speaker 2: What do they call it? Not metal?
Speaker 1: What is it?
Speaker 2: Pushing?
Speaker 1: Pumping iron, pumping iron? You know guys like pumping iron. And I'm like, well, that's just not me.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: I'm more like an Apple fitness guy and like a runner and a peloton guy. You know, I do like very easy workouts just to stay in shape, keep the heart healthy. But you know, I'm not sitting there like you know, mister muscleman.
Speaker 2: But anyway, so I.
Speaker 1: Finally played that playlist and it was awesome, and it's a really cool playlist. It's called beast Mode, And what I like about it is that they actually played just the selects of the songs, like the best parts. So if you're listening, you know how song like starts slow, Okay, let's get to the heart of this song. Okay, let's get to the chorus. Let's get to the better part. Well, beast Mode kind of like gets right to that part, which is really nice.
Speaker 2: So that's kind of cool.
Speaker 1: So I don't know, Siri Apple Music Voice Plan. I think that a lot of people, especially the dare I say younger set, will take advantage of this because maybe they're used to I mean, my kids, I know that everything, everything is voice with them. And so if if you want to see where the future is going, hang out with some kids, hang out with some teenagers, if you want to see where things are right now, because everyone is at a different kind of level in their life. Like my kids grew up with you know, Google all around, and so they just ask it everything, whereas for me, like I'd still rather type in my questions unless it's something that's like super easy to answer, Like they'll ask very complex questions that I'm like, there's no way that Google can answer that. And sure enough, if it can't answer it, like in a simple way to just read a web page with the answer, I mean, it's pretty good actually, but there you have it. Did I digress? Dare I digress? Uh? Let's see Bab says good morning. Everyone says good morning to me on their emails because they see me on TV in the early morning, and that's when they are like, oh, yeah, I should email that guy and ask him a question.
Speaker 2: Good morning.
Speaker 1: What can I get to attach to my iPhone thirteen pro so when I walk and talk and take videos, it's smooth.
Speaker 2: Thanks so much?
Speaker 1: Actually, on how much I should be thanking you, because every time you review something, I go out and buy it. Face plan emoji, crying face happy emoji sent from my iPhone. Babs, sorry to hear that, and I honestly, I am aware of that that phenomenon that when I mentioned something, people purchase it, and so for that reason, I do take that into consideration with my segments with my Facebook posts. But the reality is people love cool stuff, and honestly, it's what resonates the most with people. There's two things that resonate with people online. Actually three that I post. Number one is things that are like gadgets, Like any sort of new gadget that's new and unique. People love to see it, and they love to see me go on, go into the nuances of that gadget, so you know, taking it out of the box, showing you the gadget, like just going over like what's different, what's new, what's unique, showing you the ports on it.
Speaker 2: All that stuff, because it just helps you.
Speaker 1: Like it's like Home Shopping Network, except like way better because I'm actually an impartial person. That's just like telling you about this gadget and what I know about it, and I'm not trying to sell it to you. I'm just trying to show you what's out there so that you know when you buy something like, oh, here's the competition, here's what's new, here's what's different, Here's what to look out for, here's the features that set it apart, here's the pitfalls.
Speaker 2: And so that's number one.
Speaker 1: Number two is things that help you, so like tips And when I wrote my book, this is the inspiration for my book was actually I wrote a book on tips for the iPhone. It was actually when I posted stuff to Facebook. It went viral whenever I would do like an iPhone tip, and I was like, what, people don't know how to do this stuff on the iPhone. You got to be kidding me. And then I realized, like, oh, there's a whole world of people out there that don't sit there and think of the iPhone tips for their entire lives like I do.
Speaker 2: And so I wrote a book about it.
Speaker 1: It was very successful, and that was all based on tips on you know, Instagram and Facebook. And then the third thing is family. People love to see personal life. You know, what I do in my spare time, all that good stuff. And you know, we're pretty boring. I mean we you know, we're just a family that just does normal family stuff. I shouldn't say normal, I should say typical family stuff, you know, going to the park, going out to places.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: You know, we do live in LA so there's a lot of things available and I do get invited to a decent.
Speaker 2: Amount of stuff, So that's fun.
Speaker 1: But anyway, so I like sharing that as well because I like to inspire people. If they see me go somewhere, they're like, oh, I should go to that place or I you know, I'll take my kids on a hike or whatever. And I love seeing other people doing stuff so that I get inspired to do it.
Speaker 2: Okay, I digress, as I often do on this show.
Speaker 1: So Babs asked what can she attach to her iPhone thirteen pro to make video smooth? And honestly, my answer is really nothing. I don't I don't think you need anything now if.
Speaker 2: You were gonna.
Speaker 1: I do video for a living and I've shot entire stories on my iPhone and that have aired on television, and honestly, I don't really use a lot of stuff. I will tell you what I've used in the past. I've used two things. Number one is a long time ago, basically just a little handle. It was called the Olo clip pivot grip and it was just a little tiny handle that you would attached to your phone and it just gave you like a better grip on your phone and so but it didn't stabilize it or anything. It just helped you, you know, grip your phone better. Now I don't have that. I don't really use that anymore, but I've I've replaced it with my new favorite, which is called the Tentacle, and it's this is kind of an octopus looking thing. It's a little mount that has suction cups and it's also flexible, and so you put your phone in it. You put your phone in there, and then you kind of just grip the bottom of it and you can easily use it to move your phone around and watch stuff or to record stuff, i should say, And it works great now.
Speaker 2: It does not stabilize anything.
Speaker 1: But I think the main thing about stableation that I've noticed is that number One, people move their phones around way too much. People don't remember that you need to kind of stay stable when you're when you're recording, like, don't move your phone a lot. And if you just think about that, ninety nine percent of your videos will be way better than they are right now. And I've had people when I'm running like Rich, how do you keep your phone? Like what's your phone on? What kind of a mount? And I'm like nothing, I'm just literally holding it out. Just remember to not move. And shaking is also a big problem, because you know, people shake when they kind of like hold their stuff and they're a little bit shaky, and so that's a problem and you need to just be cognizant of that and to get over that. You can actually brace your arms, don't hold your phone. The further out you hold your smartphone, the shakier you're going to be with that phone, because think about it, you're holding your arms out. It takes a lot of energy to hold your arms out and to balance into you know, your your your gyroscope, your human gyroscope in your body is like working over time to stabilize it, which I would guess is your core maybe and your arm muscles. But when you when you put your arms in, you brace in. It will actually hold your phone steadier because you can now use your whole body as a way to steady things, and you're you're using the force of your whole body and not just held out arms. So keep your arms close tight to your chest, and that will be a great way to do. Uh to do that, And actually learned that tip from a friend, uh, Juan Bagnell. He also runs a YouTube channel called Some Gadget Guy, and he actually taught me that. So I was not aware of that. I maybe was vaguely aware of my head of that of how to shoot like that, but I'd never had someone put it into words until we did a segment together about how to take better smartphone pictures. And he said, yeah, use your use your arms as a brace, like almost like a human tripod. And I was like, oh, wow, that's a great idea. So thanks Wan for that for that tip, and check them out. Some gadget guy he does, he's you think I get cranky? I love one for his rankiness on his videos. He really he has taken on the establishment, that's for sure.
Speaker 2: So check him out. All right.
Speaker 1: Oh and yeah, that's it, So let's get to the next story.
Speaker 2: I guess okay.
Speaker 1: So I said earlier that I was going to and I promised this whole show is not oh that kind of is all Apple. But I said earlier that I was gonna upgrade my MacBook Pro to Monterey before I traded in.
Speaker 2: And there's a reason for that.
Speaker 1: And this is a really cool feature that they finally built into MacBooks. It's been on Windows for a while, but now Apple finally has it. And one of the listeners told me that this was always on the MacBook, but I guess never easily findable. But now you can format your MacBook and basically erase it to factory settings with a setting, versus going through and having to do this all manually. So great example of this is a story my boss, my former boss, gave me a computer that was his and he said, and this was this was pretty big of him. This is this is the level of trust. And so he said, Rich, can I trust you to erase this computer and recycle it properly? And I said, yes, sure. And it was an old iMac and I'm not kidding. This thing sat in my garage for I don't know a while, a couple months, and I was it taxed me every day because it wasn't easy. I had no original discs, I had no Internet. Everything was like old on this computer. So it wasn't I wasn't able to do the standard things that I do on my computer to factory format it, which involves using like like booting up from a USB drive or a DVD or a CD back in the day, and then getting into like disc utility formatting it.
Speaker 2: And then it was just a whole thing.
Speaker 1: I forget what the actual steps are, but it's a lot. And so I this computer every day sat in my garage. I said, oh my gosh, if someone steals his computer, they have all of his information, Like, oh my gosh. But I made a promise to my boss that I would do it, and there's also the temptation and just like look through this computer and this is like a computer that had, you know, all of his personal information on it. Now, this is a reason why I am a trusted person and why people often tell me their passwords and they do it because I don't. Even with like my mom and my dad, even though I have access to their accounts, I don't go into their accounts without asking them first, because that's a level of trust that I'm not just going to go in and you know, like if my mom, if she wants me to like check her credit card bill or something, I will not just go in and look at it. I will say, Mom, I'm going in, or I say, can I may I go in and access your bill? At this point, sure, but I think that's a level of trust that as a tech person you have to have with people, because I don't just go into people's stuff and I don't just like anyway. So this computer sat there for I don't know, let's say, six months before I was able to kind of figure out how to do it, and I did get it. I did finally erase the whole thing. I was so proud of myself, and then I was calling a recycling company to actually get it taken away and properly recycled, and so it all worked out very nicely.
Speaker 2: But I tell you that story because.
Speaker 1: Not to prop up my personal integrity, but to tell you that now this process is gonna be a whole lot easier in Monterey because all you have to do is go into the settings and there's a new erase all content in Settings feature, And so all you have to do is do this select this in system preferences, and it will remove your Apple ID, your fingerprints, all your accessories, your Apple pay disabled, find my and it says that it actually because storage is encrypted on the Mac with newer Mac systems with Apple Silicon or the T two chip. My computer, I believe has the T two chip, the system is instantly and securely erased by destroying the encryption keys, and so is my computer. Oh yeah, a lot of computers are on this T two chip, all the way back to the Macmini of twenty eighteen, Mac Pro twenty nineteen. My computer, MacBook Pro sixteen in sh yeah, twenty nineteen.
Speaker 2: Is on there.
Speaker 1: So all I have to do is go in and do this little setting and boom, my computer's erased. Ready to go for the next person that we'll have to deal with a horrible, horrible touch bar okay, I must says, hey, Rich, hopefully you can advise me. I'm interested in buying dual TVs from my SUV when we have our granddaughters with us. I would like to stream for my phone Hulu, Disney plus Netflix to them. Thanks and advanced Dora Dora. I would recommend getting a It's funny how a lot of times when these questions come up, people go through like the most like complex things like just simple easy. I would go with a Fire TV tablet.
Speaker 2: Two of them.
Speaker 1: Sounds like you want to get oh yeah, two and I would get amount for the back of your your headrest and so the tablet the fire I would recommend going with the Fire eighth. I know it's a little bit more expensive than the eight, but I just think it's gonna better. It's kind of have a bigger screen, it's a better battery life, just a little bit faster. So that's one hundred and fifty dollars each. And if you want to save some money on it, just wait until Black Friday or close to it, and you will get a deal on this thing. I'd say at least twenty dollars off. And since you're buying two, you probably want to get Yeah, you probably want to get a little bit of discount on this so that you're not spending a whole lot of money on that. So three hundred bucks gets you the tablets, and then after that, I would recommend just going on Amazon and searching for the magic keywords of headrest mount holder Kindle Fire, and the one that I found is twenty one fifty. It's got five thousand reviews. It looks pretty straightforward. It straps onto the back of your head rest and it holds the tablet and the kids can watch their shows. You're out three hundred and fifty dollars, the kids are quiet in the backseat, and Grandma looks like a major winner. So that's what i'd write. Oh, oh, Dora is your name? Sorry Dora, not i'ma I don't know where I got i'ma Dora. That is what I would recommend. And the Fire tablets can easily handle all those places to stream. You can set your phone as a hot spot so they can watch stuff or better yet, you can just download stuff. I mean, Prime Video has a whole bunch of stuff for kids. You can download Disney Plus, lets you download, Hulu, lets you download, Netflix, lets you download. And it's really funny because I remember the days when Netflix said we would never let people download our stuff, no way, and sure.
Speaker 2: Enough they did. Oh more Apple News. Are you sick of it yet? Well?
Speaker 1: Sorry, I told you this was a big week. This one's really simple. Apple has introduced the HomePod Mini in three new colors. They describe them as bold and expressive. I describe them as yellow, orange, and blue. So the HomePod Mini is a ninety nine dollars smart speaker. Apple says it sold really well this year, and I don't see why not. I gave it really high marks in my review. I reviewed the white one. They also make a space gray version as well. They're great. They're great if you use Apple Music. They're great if you use Siri. They're great if you have an iPhone. They're great if you have a small place and you want a small, little speaker to match. They're great if you want to put a speaker in every room for cheap. They're great if you want an alternative to Sonos. I don't have them running in my house just because I've got sons and I really like sons. But these speakers are fantastic. I bought several of them. I bought one for my niece for her college dorm room. I bought one for my sister for her gym.
Speaker 2: It's great.
Speaker 1: I mean, there's not much more to say about it. It doesn't really work with the major music services. It works great with Apple Music, it works good with Pandora, but after that, I believe with Spotify and the other ones you have to airplay the stuff, which is not ideal. So if you don't mind, if you only use Apple Music, then I think this will be a great thing. And the colors look great. They're you know, they're just different colors. Not much more to say about that ninety nine bucks. They'll be available starting in November. Next question from Laura. I'm looking for a good photo scanning app form my iPhone thirteen. Do you have a recommendation? Yes, it's pretty simple. It's called photo scan by Google. This is a an app from Google.
Speaker 2: Let's see when the last.
Speaker 1: Time they updated this app. I feel like it's getting a little old, but let's see if they've updated it. Last time they updated it oh gosh ooh sheesh March tenth, twenty eighteen. So uh yeah, they've given up on this. Let's see when the uh android one was was last updated. Maybe they've maybe they've given a little more more love to the Android one. Let's see tell me when this was updated April twenty six, twenty nineteen. So they haven't really done much work on it. But I mean, what do you need to do on this? I mean, there's not much you need to do. So photo scan by Google Photos. It it takes four different pictures of your photo and it will merge them into one using Google Smart Ai and it will save it to your Google Photos or you can save it to your camera roll whatever. This is a very manual, very slow process.
Speaker 2: So if you're.
Speaker 1: Scanning a whole bunch of pictures, I would recommend taking them to someone like scan my photos dot com. Or you can have someone come to you like Scantastic here in the LA area. Or you can get a photo scanner like the epsyn Fast Photo. But I mean, there's a lot of ways you can do this. But if you're gonna scan a bunch of pictures, This scanner is really more for like one, two, three, a couple pictures, But if you're gonna do a whole bunch, you probably want something a little bit more high powered. But you said you wanted a photo scanning app, so that's your that's my recommendation. Let's see scan slide it's there is a another company that's doing a lot with photo scanning and it's let's see what they're It's called photo Mine m y n E photo Mine, and so they make a photo scanning app that is called photo Mine, and this one was let's say, I guarantee this was just updated recently.
Speaker 2: It was updated.
Speaker 1: Where's it tell me version history? Yeah, October fourth, twenty twenty one. So if you're looking for something that is really cutting edge, really up to date, I would check out photo scan app by photo Mine p h O t O M y n e uh. It's got a lot of ratings. I've not tested this Vernon. I tested the slide scan version of it, which for slides, and it was amazing. The only thing is you are gonna have an in app purchase, so they're gonna let you do a couple and then you're gonna have to pay so I think the payment is just par for the course. If you're scanning a bunch of photos, why not pay and you can do a yearly for forty bucks. You can do it looks like monthly for anywhere from you know. Just they've a whole bunch of in app purchases that I'm seeing, so you can choose the the subscription that's best for you. But yeah, I mean, just check out one of those two. If you want something completely free, go with Google. If you want something you can try and it might be a little bit better, check out photo Mine.
Speaker 2: All right.
Speaker 1: Final story is bitcoin. I don't talk about bitcoin too much on this show, but I am fascinated by bitcoin because I do think that it is it's a fascinating or cryptocurrency. I should say, it's just a fascinating topic to me because it's like it's tech taking over one of the few things that government and banks and big business have a real stronghold on and we have not seen much change in this industry, and technology has a way of kind of disrupting things, and so far, the way that I use money has kind of stayed the same forever, except for the photo. You know, the Venmos of the world and the paypals of the world. But realistically those are just layers on top of an already archaic system, and the banking system and all that stuff is not very good. Credit cards, banks, it's all very like old school very much, not digital very much.
Speaker 2: Just kind of weird, right.
Speaker 1: So I find crypto really interesting because it's so futuristic, it's so like peer to peer, it's so clean, and yeah, I get, you know, all the mining stuff is a little tricky, but when I say clean, I mean it's like, you know, person a person. There's not like giant fees involved. There's you know, you can you can send money to anyone in the world, less friction, all that stuff, and it's not really controlled by anyone, which is also really interesting. Anyway, I say all this because bitcoin reached an all time high and a new high, I should say, and it's really on a roll. And the reason for this is because now Wall Street folks can invest in it, So they had this new ETF. If you're familiar with that. ETFs are kind of like a fund that you can invest in, kind of like a mutual fund, but a little bit more current, a little more digital.
Speaker 2: How do I explain it. I don't know.
Speaker 1: All I know about ETFs is that they're like kind of like a mutual fund, but they're more nimble. I don't know how to explain. I'm not a financial person, but this pro shares Bitcoin ETF. It's not investing in bitcoin, but it's investing in It's kind of like bitcoin style investing. And so this is the first time that regular investors can expose themselves sort of to bitcoin style investing. If that makes any sense at all, I hope I'm explaining that right. But basically, a whole bunch of people bought this fund, which makes bitcoin go up because other people see it, they're like, oh wow, So people actually think this bitcoin thing is around to stay, so they're investing in it. And so a whole bunch of people invested in this fund on Wall Street, which leads bitcoin to go up. And now bitcoin seems like it's well on its way to even higher numbers. And this is just the first of several different funds. So there's going to be at least, according to the Wall Street Journal, two more and so two more big funds that let you invest in bitcoin without actually buying bitcoin, and so kind of neat. Now, apparently the Securities and Exchange Commission does not allow direct bitcoin investments buy these funds, so that's why they're ETFs, which kind of mimic the fund. So hope my explanation somewhat got it. But the point is, you know, I would just take a look at this stuff, kind of follow it, kind of understand it a little bit because it's it's really interesting. I don't really understand the whole bitcoin thing to an extent that a lot of the bitcoin folks do, but I get the idea that it's disrupting things, and it's going to take someone like Amazon or someone like, you know, a big company to accept bitcoin as a cayman for it to really get the ball rolling. We haven't even seen that happen yet, so once we do start seeing that happen, it could be, you know, a really good thing for this stuff. All right, let's get to the final question of the day. Nora writes about the Muama Portable Wireless router Muama Portable Wireless Router. I was wondering, if you know anything about this product, is it worthwhile? Is it safe to use? Being that it's made in Lithuania. I would appreciate any information you might have. I'm definitely not a tech savvy person. I don't want to mess up my Mac or my iPhone. Thank you, Nora. All right, Nora, a quick I've never heard of this this router, but a quick Google search. Hmm okay, Let's see what the questions are. Which portable Wi Fi router is best? Is the Mayuma legit? What's the monthly cost? And does it work? And then the first the first website is the Muama Ryoku review, does it work or cheap portable Wi Fi? And where does it come from? It comes from globalnewswire dot com. Let me explain something. If you ever see a quote unquote review of a tech product on a press release website like pr Newswire or Global Newswire or any newswire website, that means that the company has put out their own review as a press release, hoping to get it to percolate through Google so that you see it when you search for something like this router. Now, if you search for a product that is legitimate, you'll see a review from the Verge, You'll see the review from c Net. From these reputable tech websites. Now, if you see a YouTube review. You can't really know if that's gonna be okay because anyone could put a YouTube review up. So if you see it from a trusted YouTube reviewer, that's a little bit better. But all the reviews that I'm seeing from this are basically yeah, nothing that I'm seeing that I would trust. And so the bottom line, if you actually go to the website, get ryoko. It's just a four G router and that's all it is. And I would not get this router. If you want a router, you can go like a hot spot. You can go to your I don't even know why you need a hot spot. Your phone should function as this. But you can also go to your carrier Verizon, T Mobile, AT and T and get a hot spot that works with your plan, or if you don't want to get those, I like the z zte zmax Connect and that is an unlocked hot spot that's about ninety bucks.
Speaker 2: You can get that.
Speaker 1: You can put in any any you know, simcard to make it into a hot spot as long as it supports a hotspot functionality on that SIM card.
Speaker 2: But that's what I would do.
Speaker 1: I would not deal with this random portable wireless router. That you probably saw advertised on some sort of website somewhere. That's what I would guess, like a social media site or something. You always make these things look so good. Oh, the sound of that music does mean that it is time for the end of the show. If you would like to submit a question for me to answer, you can email me Hello at Richontech dot tv, or you can go to my Facebook page Facebook dot com slash rich on tech and hit the big blue send email button, or you can go to rich on tech dot tv and hit the little envelope icon. I would also love it if you would rate and review this podcast. Write a quick line about what you like about this show. That way, other people when they go to the podcast on Apple or Spotify or whatever, can read what people like that listen to the show, like why do they like the show? I mean, there's so many tech podcasts out there, why do you listen to this one? Just go to rate this podcast dot com slash rich on tech, or just go to the app that you listen to and rate it.
Speaker 2: There.
Speaker 1: You can find me on all social media. I am at rich on Tech, on Instagram, on Twitter, on Facebook, pretty much it no matter where you live in the US. You can download the free KTLA plus app on Apple TV, Fire TV, and Roku. Once you're there, just scroll to the tech section and watch all of my TV segments on demand. My name is rich Dedmiro. Thanks so much for listening. There are so many ways you can spend an hour of your time. I do appreciate you spending it with me. I'll talk to you real soon.