Speaker 1: Welcome to about a territory, Ladies and gentlemen. A friendly friend of the show is back on the show, Chris Catillo. How you doing, my friend?
Speaker 2: I friendly. I've never been called in on Twitter before, so I'm glad in the podcast YouTube Red Sox Space, I get that Moniker at least listen.
Speaker 1: I see a lot of the haters on Twitter, and you're always so respectful when you I believe you had just put something. I think someone was very angry about the report they were about to go over, but you handled it in a very respectful manner. I thought it was very friendly, to be honest.
Speaker 2: So here we are here too in form and remind that it's just baseball. It's not the end of the world. It is what it is, and you know, you keep it moving.
Speaker 1: You know, sometimes you just got to take a breath. You gotta take a breath sometimes. But I understand this. We got we just got some frustrating news across the desk. I was going to start this off asking you, uh, if you were ready to break the Bobby Wick junior trade. Unfortunately we can't talk about that right now. I'm kidding. No, obviously that's not happening. Everybody, but unfortunately breaking news. Curtis Mead. It is second ab last night for the Red Sox getting hit on the hand wrist area. Initial the initial report it was a contusion and X rays came back negative. But they did further testing here today and according to Tommy Castle, wuso's reporter and mass Lives own Christopher Smith and yourself confirming that it is a broken wrist. I'll simply ask, I mean, obviously this is very frustrating to see, but what is your initial reaction to this?
Speaker 2: I texted somebody asking is there a fracture in there? And they thumbs up the text. So that's all I know as of seven o eight pm. As we record this in real time, you know, the Red Sox will most likely make an announcement and a lot of times you can get the details out of the injury designation which will be in there. Seems like Nick so guards on the way to Sacramento, join them and chat. Tracy will be talking, you know, twenty minutes after record this, and he'll give as many details as you can. I think the clubhouse is open, and Sacramento it's tiny, so it's not that open. But I think Mead will be talking here soon. We have Chris Smith out there, so it is developing very much. But you know, a huge blow, you know, anytime there's a broken bone, you know, I think it would be premature for us to speculate it could be the rest of the season, but there are only two months left in this season, so you're looking at you know, him out for at least a few weeks and potentially longer. And this is a guy that obviously they had very high hopes for and for this to happen to wit bats into his Red Sox tenure is brutal. I saw somebody on ex Twitter or whatever hell hole pointed out that they at least it's not a rental and that this guy is going to be in a Red Sox uniform for four more years after this, So I guess that's the silver lining. It's not like you get a guy for two months and this happened, but they anticipate him being a big piece, if there is a positive way to look at it, because you know me, Robbie, that's it. They have basically, you know, they have a cast of characters that have proven relatively capable at in the middle infield, over the last few weeks, right, I mean, Siegler is a guy people like, so Guard had some good at bats his first stint up before he got hurt. They've had the Monasterios and Chang's and Ikfs and the Meyers of the world be up here throughout the year, and you know, all of them, basically except Meyer, have given you something offensively at a different time. So they are in terms of depth options. They have that because they had it, you know, when they traded for meat as an upgrade. But still when you, you know, put what you did on the table to send Connolly early to Washington and get this guy, it's a huge loss. And we'll figure out over the next hours or days you know exactly how long he's going to be out.
Speaker 1: It's going to be really interesting to see you. I can't I can't think of a time like this, honestly, going back all the year, watching all these deadlines. You make a move and then two AB's in. I'm sure there is a couple that I'm just not even remembering. But it's pretty crazy to see this. But I got to ask you, if you were to envision what could be going on in that Red Sox front office right now. Obviously there's probably huge disappointment across the board, But what sense are you getting Obviously, like you said, it's just developing, But are you getting the feeling that Craig it could get a bit more aggressive here, try to turn up the noise a little bit with phone calls out there, or do you get the feeling he stays the course, doesn't overreact and you know, just keeps doing what he's doing.
Speaker 2: I mean, if you think about this from a logical perspective, it's like trading Connolly early makes it way less likely or way less palatable that they would move a Tolly or a Bennett or an ions in or you know, some of these other young pitchers that they have. Right the fact that Curtis Mead got hurt to a bat ten doesn't change that. And so if you have the Angels with Zach Netto saying unless you give us totally your Bennett, this is total speculation, but probably not far off from what it actually is. If you don't give us totally your Bennett, then you're not getting this guy. Because Curtis meets hurt, They're not going to just be like okay and give up two of those now three guys after Early's been traded. I mean, they don't get Early back now that meat's been hurt, and so that's a big chip. I think everybody looked at that young starting pitching depth as an area they could obviously deal from with the three of them and more on the way they kind of you know, that bullets left the chamber for lack of a better term, and so I think it would be wrong, you know, to be to say, all right, well, basically we don't have collin Early anymore. But back to the drawing board, let's go like restart our deadline. And you know, I think that that is a question they're going to have to face. I think it could get them more aggressive in maybe the rental market. But you know, we'll see. I'll give you the the updates now. Chris Smith, uh me to just talk to the media out there. He's flying to Boston meet with a hand specialist. Not sure if surgery is going to be needed. Had an MRI today that revealed the fracture after the initial X rays were negative yesterday. So there you go.
Speaker 1: Man, oh man, that's ay. Well we got you gotta love it, you gotta love it. You guys do a great job, but it's obviously you know, you feel for the guy too, right, he just turned to season around, he gets a great opportunity coming to Boston and uh, here we are unfortunately, but obviously, you know, like you said, you know, maybe you could dip into you know, the rental market a little bit more, would be a little bit cheaper. You know, we've gotten reports right looking at shortstops, looking at cat Sure, where are you feeling that the Red Sox could be leaning towards when it comes to making a move.
Speaker 2: I'm mean, it's a it's a great question. I mean the billion dollar question right now. You know. I think the areas that they're looking at or obvious for everybody. We outline them earlier today on mass Live. The shortstop potentially long term which is confusing, but real catching help which is not perfect in the middle of the season, but real and pitching depth, which you know, the need for that increased when you move a guy like early and you're a little shorter in the rotation. Every contender is looking for bullpen arms this time of year, so that's a real thing. I just think, you know, they're they're looking at those types of options. Any team's going to prefer controllable over rental. Sometimes you don't have a choice. Last year, the two guys they got were rentals at the last minute. One and Matt's worked out. The other in May didn't. So we'll see where it goes. I still think they're you know, looking to improve, looking to buy, but you know it's easier said than done this time of year.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's uh, it's gonna be a very interesting week. We're gonna be hearing all the all the gossip, all the juiciness, saw all the wonderful trade deadline news over the next week. But Chris, that is all we got here for today. I want to thank you for coming on giving us the latest on what's going on here really quick. Let people know at home where can they find.
Speaker 2: You, Masslive dot Com, Chris Catillo on Twitter, Fenway Rundown Podcast Easy, and I.
Speaker 1: Believe you are going to be going to the Dodgers series here, correct?
Speaker 2: Yep, Yes, Midy's out there for us now in Sacktown, Sean and I will be flying out Thursday to La Well.
Speaker 1: I am. I am praying for you that no meals get interrupted with this trade deadline coming around yeah, eat, it's gonna be tough.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: I feel good about it this time, Chris, I feel good about it. So everybody, if you kind of the way out, hit the like button, subscribe, you renew, and we'll talk to you next time.