Speaker 1: Hello the Internet, and welcome to season three thirty five, Episode five.
Speaker 2: Of Daily's Guys. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's a production of iHeart Radio.
Speaker 1: It's a podcast where we take a deepdabnue America Shared consciousness.
Speaker 3: It's gross in here.
Speaker 1: In America Share consciousness right now. It's it's nasty. The pool is not You can ignore it if you want. I guess the water is not lovely. It fucking sucks.
Speaker 3: Yes it is. Thank you.
Speaker 1: It is Friday, April twenty six, twenty twenty four four.
Speaker 3: That's two fudditional Historic Marker Day. I guess. That's like when there's like signs that are like this is here by a historical site. It's like, yeah, shout out to those needed day, shout out to those inanimate objects. Yeah.
Speaker 1: It's also America's favorite thing. Inanimate object we like more than people folks.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, as long as they have fun things written on National South Dakota Day. It's National Dissertation Day, National help a Horse Day, National Hairball Awareness Day, National Pretzel Day, not just so many fucking days, National Kids in Pet's Day. Oh shit, we were just talking about earthquakes. It's National Richter Scale Day and National Richter audobond day for all the bird people out there, y'all, burden is your day. Yeah, that's the sound of a bird. Yeah, you carry the heavy burden of burden, then, yeah, this is your day. My name's Jack O'Brien aka.
Speaker 1: Albums to the Left of Me singles to the right here, I Am stuck here, just ma'micking you. That is courtesy of Pato sand on the discord Pat two Sands Maybe I don't know reference to the fact that Steelers Wheel did a bit song where they made fun of Bob Dylan and it became their biggest hit by far. They were like, this is you. I'm successful and then did such a good impression that it was successful. Anyways, I'm thrilled to be joined as always by my co host ms are Miles Grass Miles Gray aka spilled on my wall.
Speaker 3: This whole thing is fucked. That's Zach Finness. Yeah, I spilled my big ass cup of water everywhere, and yeah, the whole thing was fucked.
Speaker 1: But big spill YEP starring Kevin Klein Miles We are thrilled to be joined in our third seat by a hilarious comedian, actress writer you know from places like Netflix's comedy lineup. She's the author of the audible original dirt Bag Anthropology, and her new stand up special Loopholes, just dropped.
Speaker 3: Go stream it. It's Kate Weller. Welcome, Welcome. How are you OK.
Speaker 2: I'm doing pretty good. I mean, like personally, I'm doing pretty good.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the world is crazy.
Speaker 3: The world's crazy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a very intense time. But like personally, you know, I got a comedy special, a boyfriend, I got two cats.
Speaker 3: You god damn the cats. Yeah yeah, yeah, yeah, what can you ask more for? You know, I get it. In these times, we just have to retreat into our cats sometimes. Yeah, I know, I know, you have no man. I just I have vivid memories of even like in twenty twenty, like holding like my dog, like you have no idea, do you?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I know I had a moment of like visceral jealousy towards my cat right like where I was just like, oh my God, Like he has literally no idea that any of this stuff is going on.
Speaker 3: He's just like he's just like simple.
Speaker 2: The main thing that happens every day is that the mommy slash god lady brings me food and then cats me. That's what's happening in the world. That's the breaking news.
Speaker 3: Yeah, exactly. Oh yellow socks today, okay, yeah, and that's about it. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Damn your cat use you as mommy slash god lady instead of personal assistant. That's impressive. You have a you have a strong relationship.
Speaker 2: I actually have two cats, and what views me as a personal.
Speaker 3: System and one as mother god.
Speaker 2: Yes, mother god mommy. Yeah.
Speaker 1: There's something about just napping in a sunbeam when I see, like when I would see my dogs do that, that just like made me so like it's just so simple, so comfortable.
Speaker 3: You don't do that. I do that. You find a little sunbeam on the floor, and just when LA has that like switch, you're like, oh shit, we're consistently warm now, like we're out of this. Like do I wear sleeves today? Like I don't, Like I will. I used I will go shirtless and just put my back on hot concrete and just be like, oh so, I don't know, it's like a pastime I have. I do it a lot. There's I start sending like a fucking lizard. I mean I love that. I love that for you. I like how I was like you don't do that, Bros.
Speaker 1: Driveway just like warming yourself, like a list of concrete.
Speaker 3: There's just something about hot concrete, like when it feels like when it's cold in your house. I don't know, it's very it's very invited. Damn man, I don't know what's wrong with me? Why I'm not doing that? Amazing?
Speaker 1: Well, Kate, we are going to get to know you a little bit better in a moment. First, we're going to tell the listeners a couple of things that we're talking about.
Speaker 3: We have some good news out.
Speaker 1: Of Maine that I wanted to bring up. Maine has officially become a trans and abortion care sanctuary state. So we'll talk about that and what they had to overcome a lot of death threats, a lot of terroristic threats to get there.
Speaker 3: So we'll talk about that. We'll talk about.
Speaker 1: Meta's strong policies against sex work. As long as said sex work is being performed by humans AI, that shit is totally fine.
Speaker 3: Ahead, They're down with that.
Speaker 2: Robot work is real works.
Speaker 1: Right, is what we are here to say. Right, All that plenty more. But first, Kate, we do like to ask our guests, what is is something from your search history?
Speaker 2: I was recently this morning, I was reading up on the Supreme Court grants pass versus Organs. You guys know about that case. Did you talk about it?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Is it is? It? Is it a criminal act to be unhoused?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm very I do a lot of reading about housing politics, and that one is it's just mind blowing that they're like thinking about, you know, criminalizing just like being outside if you have no place else to go. I don't know, sorry, but I hate the Supreme Court.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, no, Yeah, we were just talking on was it Tuesday? Tuesday's episode with Rihann and Hamam from the five to four Supreme Court podcast about that.
Speaker 2: It's a great podcast.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, she's she's dope as fuck. I think she actually just got arrested at the University of Texas, you know, protesting on behalf of Palestinians. But yeah, we were talking about that, and it's just you know this, it's the Supreme Court is doing what it's doing, Like there is a rock that has been created from just on what's the word I'm looking for, untethered American, unmitigated American capitalism, and now we have to now just create laws that are just trying to contain all that rather than addressing the real root causes. It's like, well, we could do something about housing policy, but that's that's going to get in the way of the quote market, so we'll just make it illegal if you failed at the game of surviving in America.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I mean I think that, like you know, speaking of like the protests that you were just mentioning, like it's just becoming very clear that like literally the plan for every single issue in this country is police, like police or the housing plan. Police are the foreign policy plan. Police are the substance abuse plan. You know, it's just every every single problem people just you know, by people, I mean, like the people in power see the same solution to it.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, and I think that there be noted by people to understand that like those are like using law enforcement and state violence, like those are the responses of you know, authoritarian regimes.
Speaker 1: Like yeah, I believe that a police state, state state that just I mean Joe Biden, you know, he did it in his like foggy old guy way, but he was, you know, giving a speech about he was like responding to the idea of defunding the police or you know, funding the police even a little bit less, and he was like, we don't need to defund the police. I mean, come on, they're they're your therapist there, you're like he he was using the fact that the police are answer to everything as like the reason to fund them. More like he was like, then that's a good thing and we should should double down, triple down on that. And I feel like a lot of people or like, man, that's that's dumb, but like this is the consequence of that. When the police are your everything, the police are my everything. You guys I just said about beer cause of a.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, only losers think the police are the solution to everything, winners. I think cats are the solution.
Speaker 3: To every that's right. Cats and mushrooms, yeahroom.
Speaker 1: Cats and lasers on their heads, right, Yeah, Sorry, am I did I.
Speaker 3: Fuck this up? That would I think that would fuck with a cat though, if a cat had a like, because it would just be chasing the fucking laser of its own creation. I feel like that's that's now in my mind, like that's actually cool for a laser mounted cat or cat.
Speaker 1: No, you're right, it should probably be flame throwers, right, because they don't chase flame throwers in my experience. No, yeah, what is something you think is underrated?
Speaker 2: Kate, Well, I'm going to change my are because my original answer.
Speaker 3: Was cats and were coover this take off.
Speaker 2: So there's a podcast that I love so much. I have nothing to do with. This podcast is just really like it. It's called Citations Needed, and they do like media critique, and you know, they just really really go into like, you know, the framings on New York Times, Atlantic, you know, so many of these like mainstream news sources, like you know, on things like policing on you know, the housing crisis, and I just I really love their work. That's like been such a huge source of education for me. And I feel like it's a very popular podcast, but it should be like twelve thousand times more famous than it is.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there's a lot of popular podcasts. Yeah, it's good.
Speaker 1: It's good to hear about this one. So I don't understand those that do they just read the New York Times. How could you criticize the New York Times. They're objective and just the paper.
Speaker 3: Record, the records.
Speaker 1: So yeah, you know, lady, Yeah, because democracy does in the dark, and.
Speaker 3: That's Washington Post actually, dud. Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: Also, but they're both like same in that they're just writing truth into existence.
Speaker 3: So I don't know, yeah, I mean their source is the police for all of it. But even this other story about energy according to police, You're like, wait, what.
Speaker 1: Uh huh yeah, ship according to police, wind power, wind energy kills a lot of birds.
Speaker 3: Yeah right that wait, so that I'm like, I've I've heard of the podcast before. But it's essentially just sort of dissecting, disassembling what sort of like these headlines are and just being like and this is where it goes completely backwards.
Speaker 2: It's more like looking at various media tropes a lot of the time, Like you know, for example, one thing that they've been talking a lot about lately, not to get too dark here, is like you know, the this frame of like precision strikes and like human shields and like all of this kind of language that the mainstream you know, corporate media uses to like really kind of paper over like the violence of these things, and just just like they really dissect what, you know, what those tropes really mean, and they'll have experts and scholars on, you know, to talk about like you know, what watch US international law actually say. But they also talk a lot about policing too, and you know, like the idea that you're just making fun of of, like you know, just interviewing the police for like statements about policing. So yeah, they're really really good podcast. It's two media critics who are both you know, I think I've done a lot of work with fairness and accuracy in reporting the nation other left and publications.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Now I'm total precision on strike. Just I mean, you have smart bombs, so they'll like just fly in through a single window. Yeah, look around the room for the bad guy. Yeah, introduce themselves to the bad guy and then ask them to step outside where they can safely blow them up. Is that incorrect? Is that are the Are the strikes not that precise? Because that's what I was led.
Speaker 3: To believe in the early nineties. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, when I had fucking gummy snacks for desert storm. By the way, like the kids that I went to school with had like b two bomber gummy snacks.
Speaker 3: Dude, I remember those. Yeah, that's wild.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the stealth but if you got the stealth bomber, holy shit, everyone was like the secret flavor.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no, who can figure out what it is? Yeah, it's called thunder jets, wasn't it. I think that's right. Yeah, dude, I remember that shit. I was like, bro, I was like, Mom, I need to eat at F sixteen. I'm sorry that.
Speaker 1: Is I'm going to hand you this new nutrition chart and F sixteen's is a major food group.
Speaker 3: And then I'm like, oh, a yellow F sixteen that's lemon growth. It's just running down your chin. Yeah, totally shit like this. Norman Shorts cough. Yeah. Yeah. They tried to make Norman and successfully for a couple of years, like made Norman Shorts cough like a celebrity, a cool guy. I had fucking Desert Storm Ninja Turtles. Yeah. I had those ships where like Leonardo was like a fucking Air Force pilot and shit, I'm like, yes, we will take down so don Yeah yeah, Ninja Turtle Bay. All right, what is something you think is overrated?
Speaker 2: I think the TikTok band or I don't know if it's fair to call it a band at this point, because we don't really know if they're, you know, gonna sell the if my dance was gonna sell it or not, if it will continue to exist in the United States. But to me, you know, that's very overrated. Like I'm seeing, you know, various proponents of this band, you know'll be like, well, like social media is bad, and you know there are data privacy concerns, which is true with all social media, but like banning this app specifically. You know, it's to me, it seems to be about two things. One which is, you know, like, oh, China, that's so scary, you know, just this kind of like really stupid.
Speaker 3: You know. Yeah, but did you know that they like beat people up for speaking out against their government's policies. Yeah, yeah, yeah, oh no, that's okay, but yeah, go on.
Speaker 2: Yeah, do you know that they do surveillance in China that they're just the government looking at your looking at your private messages. It's out of control.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah. And I feel like everybody who ends up trying to like justify the TikTok band like they're just showing their ass in every single way. Like to your point, it's like, if it's about privacy, then what about the fucking American companies? Yeah you know what I mean?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, to me, this just seems like it's like a you know, either there's like some corporate interests that are you know, hoping to buy it like.
Speaker 3: American protect American technological hegemony, you know what I mean. It's like this app is kicking our apps asses? Are our countries apps? Asses? Oh yeah? Fuck? That's one version. And then there's just like very casual way of trying to explain away why younger people are more engaged and outraged by what is happening in the country. I've been like, it's fucking TikTok. It's not the fucking policies that we enact that create the hellscape in which they live that's radicalizing them. It's this fucking thing that tells you to add more sugar to your watcher.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, And you know, and I think that's a lot of it too. It's like, you know, there's just they don't have, you know, control over whatever, like you know sense like all the social media apps do censorship to some degree, Like you know, like on TikTok, there is censorship, like you can't say sex, so people that's why they say segs, which is extremely annoying. It's really annoying when like gen Z college students will like type like segs on Twitter or something that you don't we don't do that here, say.
Speaker 3: Like grown ups come on now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but you know there's like there's a there's different censorship right like China, and like, well it's not there's just like I think it's isn't it the CEOs like he is in Singapore, right, But either way, TikTok is not there. Like censorship is not based on like US foreign policy interest, right, so they're not going to like censor stuff just because it looks bad for the United States, like whereas like you know, New York Times, we see, you know, has like you know, specific policy is to you know, censor the language of their journalists and reporters, to to not you know, to not go the department line.
Speaker 3: It was a blast. It was not an Israeli bomb. It was a blast. The protests turned violent when the police started becoming violent, which is a mach we always X, we're gonna get that out of there. Just just the protests turned violent, Yeah, turned violent.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean it's like I think it's just like they don't like when if I think about like the Iraq War a lot, and that was you know, I think like really my political awakening, like I knew and every when I knew, you knew that this like weapons of mass destruction thing was a lie. I felt like it was pretty obvious, you know, but we you know, had the media is just repeating this WTMT lie again and again. And now it's not like they can't really lie to us in the same way a lot of the time because we can see videos ourselves of what's happening. So it's more like instead of lying, it's more like just gas lighting. They're like, no, that's not what you saw. That's don't believe your eyes, you know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and if you disagree, like we're going to hit you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And the reason you disagree is actually just China has infiltrated your brain.
Speaker 3: And that's I don't even have TikTok. I just I just saw a news clip.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but you were people, people who have TikTok told you that.
Speaker 3: Actually, So I'm seventy has TikTok. Yeah, it's yeah, it's uh, that's why it's like really interesting. Like we talk all the time about how the sort of propaganda playbook that the government tries to run just it's diminishing returns. At this point, it's like they're time to be like that's actually not what's going on. Everyone's like you think we're fucking dumb or somebody else like this ain't fuck, This ain't the nineties brouh.
Speaker 1: Yeah you were like really recently, no, could you give us a break here?
Speaker 3: We are used to Yeah, you guys being dumb. Dude. Yeahah, you used to know, seventeen year old fucking pushing back like that. What the fuck was that? Yeah? Kid fucking flamed me? What the fuck? I mean?
Speaker 2: There's you know, there's like uh, I mean, you know there's these like State Department and White House press conferences where they come out and they repeat these, you know, things that are obviously lies. You know, like for example, like one thing you know was that Israel is not blocking aid to Gaza, right, and you know, like we can see videos of like the AID trucks not being let in. We can even see individuals saying like hey, I've gone here to block this aid. We can see every you know, un or other humanitarians, you know, staff person saying like hey, we're trying to get this aid and they're not letting the truck in, you know, and then they go out and they like the State Department, you know, spokes for us in will go out and repeat like, oh, there's there's no evidence that they're blocking the AID, and it's like they know, we know, they know, we know. So it's just gaslighting. It's not even lying anymore.
Speaker 3: Yeah and yeah, and then you deal with shit boiling over like it is now because exactly can only tell somebody they're not seeing what they're seeing for so long. And yeah, I hope that it just goes away anyway, Biden, you're doing a great job courting the youth vote. Just cracking skulls on campuses, yeah, arresting professors. Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, you got this.
Speaker 2: Remember Biden's campaign ad, the Charlottesville one. It was like about like restoring the soul of our nation or something like that, you know, and it's like, how's that going, man?
Speaker 3: You know? Yeah, I mean I think that it's the same soul. It switches, you know, as as American capitalism and neoliberalism will do just it just we lurch more further and further towards authoritarianism.
Speaker 1: It's reminded me of like this morning, I kept being reminded of that time in the twenty I think it was twenty fifteen, maybe twenty sixteen Republican primary where they were like, oh, yeah, no, it would be great if Trump won.
Speaker 3: Are you kidding me? We're gonna fucking demolish this guy. It's gonna be right, so easy. But like there was probably some level of like and if he wins, like we can get like we become left even by being yeah, what is currently the GOP party.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like we can get away with so much we like take up we get so much more ground now by like the if he keeps going further and further to the right, so like this morning, like as he's from the Supreme Court, you know, his lawyers are arguing that he can do purge and you know, meanwhile, the Democratic fucking administration is just out here pulling a Nixon administration like on on protesters. It's like, yeah, I mean that's what having this uber right wing like dictatorial regime dangling over everyone's head like buys them. Like I do wonder if that was like part of the calculus from the start.
Speaker 2: I think that you know, it's like the Republicans are just going to keep getting like more and more fascist, and the Democrats can just you know, keep getting more and more fascist as well, because like, you know, there's like this rhetoric that like the other the other guy, the Republicans will be worse, Like that can be it can be literally used to justify anything, like there's no limit to what it can be used to justify. And I think we've seen that with like the Gouzel situation is like you know, you'll you'll see people like be like you know, oh well, like Trump would do ten genocides and it's like.
Speaker 1: What and in this one, I'm like to fuck up and let Biden ignore this one?
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, yeah, fund this one. That's what's so wild too, because like, as I you know, we keep hearing about you know, the the what the what the Republican will Republicans will bring if Trump is president. But as you look at it, I'm like, I'm you're you're you're brutalizing peaceful protesters just like they were doing in twenty twenty and years past every single time, And I'm like, is it the only difference going to be It's like, well, Biden will just allow students to be tasered and maced and Trump would probably allow like full blown guns like maybe a week in or something like that. Yeah, But are we still dealing with the fact that we are not allowing peaceful, non violent protest to happen, because that's the up. And yeah, I'm like, you got it. I'm doing a really bad job differentiating here, really bad job. And that's on you. Actually, that's on you in your brain do diffructiating. Yeah.
Speaker 4: So yeah, oh so you want Trump? No, I never I don't want Trump. No, I know, I never said, well, it sounds like you want Trump. I'm no, I'm saying we need to be we need to be holding ship to a higher standard. That's and people are fucking up bad. That's what I'm saying. You said you want to be holding ship.
Speaker 3: So dude, this guy's a fun Did you hear the studio city was a whole This guy was the whole ship man.
Speaker 5: No, anyways, you've done me, The media done me. Yeah, got his ass. Yeah, all right, let's say, let's take a quick break and we'll be right back.
Speaker 1: And we're back and small little island of good news, Maine officially becomes a trans and abortion care sanctuary state. This is after attacks from transphobic online influencers, legal threats from a group of Republican Attorneys general, multiple bomb threats targeting the state House, the main Democratic Party headquarters, and the homes of two legislators. Maine has officially become the sixteenth state to explicitly protect transgender and abortion care and state law for prosecution from prosecution after Governor Janet Mills of Maine signed the LD two to twenty seventh Sanctuary Bill. So an amazing piece of legislation.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they're also saying that it's like, yo, we're not going to cooperate with people trying to come in and you know what's the word I'm looking for when they extradition, like extradition extradite yeah, yeah, or or cooperation with law enforcement out of state for people who are like they can to Maine for gender affirming care and it's like, yeah, sorry, like you can't, Like we're not stay the fuck out because that's what we're trying to do. Yeah, A very a nice I thought for first, when he said an island, I thought you were calling Maine an island, and I was like, in a way, I kind of I'm not good at geography. Okay, the the humble island of Maine. Yes, yes, I mean like that's it feels like it up there. Up there on the tip there.
Speaker 1: It's a really beautiful, enormous state that I mean, it's it's also very rural. You see someone shut up in Maine if you ever do drive through ord Air. The extensive new law means the gender affirming care and reproductive healthcare are legal rights in Maine and states that criminal and civil actions against providers and patients are not enforceable if the provision or access to the care occurred within Maine's borders. So yeah, like Miles said, like they can't other states can't come in and basically you know, issue arrest warrants.
Speaker 3: I mean until they tryntill they Yeah, that's kind of the fucking weird part is that, Yeah, we're having to just sort of codify it in this very specific ways. I don't even think that if you have fucking wacky laws on your books wherever you are, that you can come in and start running shit over here. But yeah, oh wow, but it sounds like a full on terror campaign to try and stop this.
Speaker 1: It's really like I do. Also, I wanted to bring this up because it just like as we talked about on yesterday's Trending episode, as we talked about already on this episode. The treatment of peaceful protesters in the in the US right now is at the forefront of everyone's mind, and on social media you see a lot of people who don't want this to be the case, who are like they weren't actually that peaceful, like they were, you know, scaring people and.
Speaker 3: Sitting down on the grass.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well that's like, you know, that can be a opinion. Okay, that could be a thing gesture. But like, first of all, the two places, like I keep seeing people compare it to like being like well back in the seventies and sixties, like we were peaceful protesters, and it's like compared to them, know the fuck you were not like that at Kent State. Like the things that the peaceful protesters at Kent State did would buy today's standards by these people said, like they broke a bank window or something broke like a shop window, they like that would that would be cause for like the entire nation to be thrown into fucking lockdown today, Like they they like jokingly told students to kill their parents, like at the Kent State thing, and like that was used as justification to like bring in the National Guard. But like those would be read as like declarations of all at war on America were they to be done today by a group of like pro Palestinian protesters, Like yeah, and then you have this on the right, like the things that they're doing, like the the bomb threats, the just like threat physical threats of violence that like constantly happen on the right and just get completely fucking ignored by the mainstream media.
Speaker 3: Like this is just it's like a.
Speaker 1: Detail of a of an alternate story. But it's like not not the focus, not like you know, the no, nobody wants to like make that a front page news story. It's just the the double standard is pretty incredible and has been for years. Like you know, the anti abortion like violence that has happened is like the one type of violence like that that is like ideological that does not get called terrorism.
Speaker 3: Usually they're just like.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they blew up a clinic, but it's like, no, that's fucking that they're killing people along ideological lines like that. That's terrorism by any other standard except the standard in the American one, of course.
Speaker 2: It is.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's like really desperate, as you're mentioning, there's this like very you know, desperate attempt to obscure the fact that like, you know, most like political violence that happens in this country, the overwhelming majority is like right wing psychos. Sorry to not describe that in a very you know, objective way, but like, you know, these people who have like bombed abortion clinics or you know, like some of the people who stormed the capitol, like you know, that's that is violent. But you know, it's like you'll see like these you know, headlines. One of the headlines I saw about I think it was the protest at Yale, was that one of the Yale protesters like stabbed someone in the eye. And you know, I read that and I was like, oh my god, this is horrible, Like whatever whoever did that is you know a discraine. You can't stab people in the eye for any reason.
Speaker 3: But it's been in a position for a while now.
Speaker 2: Actually yeah, but you know, this was frames in the headlines that this person stabs someone in the eye because the person that they stabbed was Jewish, and I'm like, that's just that's a disgusting thing to do. Then I saw the video of this incident. Have you seen it? Yeah, yeah, so someone so there's a student or maybe I don't even know if the person was a student. But someone is walking by with a very tiny, tiny, tiny little flag and is you know, kind of waving the flag back and forth bumps into someone very lightly. They to me, it seems clear that they did not even see the person that they bumped into. That this was the situation of like they were looking in the other direction and waving their flag very lightly. Like there was no way that this was any kind of stabbing. It wasn't a targeted incident. I don't think that they even saw the person that they bumped into enough to you know, know that person's religion or ethnicity. They weren't looking at them.
Speaker 3: I mean, it was just well and then there was even a report that they were even saying that like they went to like a they were told to like, yeah, maybe go get that checked out. And you're like if you were stabbed, if you were stabbed in the eye, I think like like someone with ems would be like, oh my god, you're stabbed in the eye, like versus like, hey, if it's bugging you, you can go you should maybe go to the doctor to get it checked out. Yeah, since you were stabbed in the eye. Yeah, but yeah, But going back to like I mean this is we've we always have these moments where you have to remind yourself how entrenched our mainstream media is with just the like the principles of the United States that they're all they all work together, hand in hand to maintain the status quo of being a white supremacist, capitalist patriarchy. And so when you go up against one of those, you know, we have many pillars, but those three pillars, all bets are off on how you can be treated. January sixth. That's okay because you're there, because you're you're they're in service of a candidate who wants to uphold the status quo exactly racism and the brutal economic violence of the nation. So, y'all are good people who are peacefully protesting police violence and over policing. We'll see now now you're fucking Now you're fucking with one of our temples. Yeah, and you will feel the whole fucking might of the state come down on you. And now, unfortunately, these student protests non violent, but we're talking about the fucking we're talking about American hegemony and our foreign policy. Yeah, guess what the state is going to fucking do what it can to crush you and it. Yeah, and I'm sure well pretty soon in the next few days, we'll start seeing the media do some kind of run some kind of shit to try and obscure or recontextualize what these non violent student protests are, to try and discredit them and be like and like, it's not even like a fucking big deal. These kids are tripping or like they're fucking brainwashed by whatever they.
Speaker 2: The Wall Street Journal, let me see if I can find it the exact headline. But the Wall Street Journal like was already saying that, you know, the protesters are I think, don't call me on this, but they were. They were like fund funded by Hamas or like had ties to Hamas.
Speaker 3: Yes, some anti Israel protesters are paid. I just saw this one. Rockefeller and Soros grants are subsidizing those who disrupt college campuses.
Speaker 2: Which is on anti Semitic conspiracy theory, like the they like George Soros funds everything. You know, George Soros is is behind the scenes pulling the string. That is like one of the core anti Semitic Nazi conspiracy theories in the United States.
Speaker 3: So yeah, it's like which one is it? What? What is so George Soros is now anti Israel?
Speaker 1: I don't know, man, you tell me, man, I'm just we're just trying to say.
Speaker 2: Journal Okay, So here here's here's the headline, the actual headline. Uh, it's from the Wall Street Journal. Who's behind the anti Israel protests? Which is a hell of a framing to begin with, But who's behind the anti Israel protests? Hamas has Blah, the Hutis and others are grooming, not that we're grooming activists in the US and across the West. And you know, it's just like, uh, I think that there's this look. I have protested, and I think most people have protested. You know, there's there's various reasons, but I think the core reason for a lot of people is like, you know, we we see we see pictures of all these you know, dead children, and we're like, this is very sad and it's very wrong, and it's like they haven't. The social media is part of it, but there's there's an emotional response to seeing civilians, especially children, horribly injured or killed. And I think that that's a very human response and it's like outrage. Yeah, yeah, these these headlines. It's like, and I think even the stuff that like Nancy Pelosi says about how you know this is backed by Vladimir Putin or the Chinese government or whatever, it's like they can't even acknowledge the possibility that some number of people, probably the majority of people, are like, wow, killing kids. That's very sad, you know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, they're oh, I I've been incentivized to look the other way this whole.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they're just like they're like parents who are like, don't you remember when you were young, Like you used to believe everything we said?
Speaker 2: Yeah, right, exactly.
Speaker 3: You used to eat gummy candies of our warplanes. Yeah. Now now you you're so mad at me. Now you call them instruments of state violences. Yeah, this is not my child anymore. Who I was able to fucking you know see all the time. Yeah, it's and I think that's what's like really interesting when I look at this all is we talk about how increasingly more engaged and intelligent these younger generations are becoming, and like I'm wondering if they're I mean, they must be looking at this they're like, dude, we've got a fucking like these kids are getting smarter and more radical. Yeah, and what the fuck are we gonna do about this? And I guess like they's just one response is like just fucking call them the goon squad. Yeah, as a solution, rather than like a rational human being try and understand what is driving people to act and being like, well, can we do that? And again, I think that's when it reveals. It reveals why both parties are still they're from the same Well. Yeah, it's like like we cannot go against the military industrial complict. Who the fuck is going to say that unless you're like one of these on you know, on the fringe, meaning not necessarily mainstream politicians who's like, we have to stop all this like fucking unchained military spending. That's never going to be the main stream because that's America runs on. Duncan baby, that's just what we do.
Speaker 2: The core assumption, like legitimizing, like to the public, US foreign policy since nine to eleven has been some version, some you know, unsophisticated version of like you know, Islam equals terror, right right, It's like, you know, like and and because of this, like anybody who is Muslim or Arab, you know, can be held collectively responsible for the actions of you know, legitimate terrorist actions like Osama bin Ladens or whatever, but we responded to like nine to eleven horrible. But like people, there's no problem just you know, holding the people of Iraq responsible for that or Afghanistan, because it's just like, yeah, you know, you can just you know, if they were Muslim, they should you know, get bombed or whatever. And it's like younger kids. Gen Z definitely doesn't believe that most millennials doesn't believe that, you know, like people, we live in a diverse society where you know, people are like they may have friends that are Muslims or you know, they may be you know, like they're you know, listening to work from people from you know, all over the world and stuff, and like this kind of like core racism and Islamophobia, like it just doesn't work. And like none of this stuff that the US government is doing makes sense unless you buy into that assumption, which the kids do not buy into.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah, the racist old grandpa or racist parent.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they're gonna like yeah, and yeah, it's just there's a disconnect and they can't get their fucking mind around it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're calling the kids like the student protesters. I've seen a bunch of people call them like g haughties, yeah, or say that they're trying to protest to institute sharia law. And this is really just grandpa racism.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I know this because I had a white grandpa who was buryed into Fox News, and I know I know when something is that perspective.
Speaker 3: Of right and it's a purposely bad, bad faith analysis to be like, well, because I can't say what they're literally saying, which is like, we want to stop the genocide. We need an immediate ceasefire. Innocent people are dying. We want our school to divest from businesses that are actively profiting off of this. That's what it is. No one is a fucking sign that says man sharia law. Now to go to these sort of thought killing cliches for people to be like, oh they want shariala okay, well, I don't know what do these people are off their shit?
Speaker 2: Yeah. Even the stuff that's considered like, you know, very radical, Like the viewpoint that it's considered like, you know, so radical that it can't even be discussed, is that you know, between the Jordan River and the Mediterranean, seeing it should be one person, one vote, that everybody should have equal rights. Yeah, everybody should have equal protection under the law. And you know, you almost never see that argument represented, you know, just as it is, like what the argument is actually for, because I think a lot of Americans agree with that argument. Like our country has already had a huge debate about, you know, whether it's okay to deny people voting rights based on their race or ethnicity, and like, you know, so it's just like there has to be like these sort of like bad faith, like these kids support terror or whatever, because if they say what those kids are actually believe, like too many people are going to be like, oh, I don't know. That actually sort of makes sense.
Speaker 3: But no, they're anti you know, child murder, like child murder and being buried under rebel. It's like, why disagree? It's like so then you're pro that? Yeah, yeah, no, yeah, well hmm, do you want to meet me where I'm at? Because if it is, then you have to really define where you're coming from, because if it's if it's that well articulated like it is in ninety five percent of the cases, yeah, then yeah you can. Only the only thing you do without yourself is being like, well, then I'm I'm pro death of innocence.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, exactly. Nobody will articulate the real viewpoints here, because it's pretty obvious that one of those viewpoints is I'm pro murdering children, which has very few actual sympathizers.
Speaker 1: Yeah right, yeah, all right, let's uh, let's take a quick break and we'll come back and talk about some dumb bullshit.
Speaker 3: We'll be right back, and we're back.
Speaker 1: We're back, and AI has taken the tech world by storm. Oh yeah, baby, wave of the future. Mm hmm, Okay, some really funny pictures of Biden doing drugs off of America's gravestone.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I did that when I was cool. I did that in uh in Dolly. It looked kind of grainy, but it was all right. Or you know, you can you can get tupac entered the Kendrick and Drake beef, you know, because of AI. Or there's there's everything, you can do it all, you can do it all. But yeah, the big thing that I saw in this Wired story is it seems like the latest trend on social media is ads for erotic AI girlfriends and companions. According to Wired, there's like, you know, you can search like all the ads that have ran on Facebook like in certain instances, and they found that at least twenty nine thousand ads had been published on Meta platforms for explicit AI quote girlfriends, with most using suggestive sex related messaging. There were also at least nineteen thousand ads using the term NSFW and fourteen thousand were offering NSFWAI and some twenty seven hundred ads were active. When Wired reached out to Meta, They're like, hey, what's up with all the fucking AI fuck bot ads that you got on there? And the spokesperson said, oh, yeah, we prohibit that kind of content and we're going to get right on it. And then like fucking two days ago, a Wired look and it's now there's three thousand ads for AI girlfriends and eleven hundred containing NSFW that were still live on the platform. So these chatbots promise users all kinds of erotic interactions, like from raunchy chat to AI generated porn images or like undressing your AI girlfriend and then like you can finally unlock the nudie pictures or whatever. You can even do images of humans or animals, you know, however you want to get down, And they even have ship where you can be chatting, you know, with again this porn trope that is just at the root cause of everything that's wrong with America, and it's like you can fucking chat with your hot step mom and like, yeah, fucking down with your AI step mom.
Speaker 2: Ew sorry step related part related.
Speaker 3: It's not like some Oedipus ship. All right, step mom.
Speaker 2: I was talking about like how I thought that, like the step family porn genre was like really gross. One day I was talking to a friend about it. I was like, yeah, you know, it's just like it's really nassy. Like She's like, I actually think it's hot.
Speaker 3: So I'm like, I.
Speaker 2: Get I guess some people are very into this stuff. More a lot of people must be into this stuff, because that's like.
Speaker 3: Some Brady Bunch shit. I remember like in The Brady Bunch. I think it was like the first or second movie when Greg and Jan had to ship like split the attic basement, but like through a sheet and like they were all getting hot for each other. I'm like, see, this is what the fuck is going on? And Marsha right, oh, Marsha, yeah, come on yeah, sorry, yeah sorry, man, I'm that was for a while.
Speaker 2: It's like sexual tension between step siblings.
Speaker 3: That was like, and I'm sure too, like with their rate of divorce in America, there are probably a lot of blended families. And then they're just like, yeah, man, this is kind of where your head goes.
Speaker 1: There's a lot of blended families where people are getting stuck inside washing machines and need help getting out.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and they're only wearing an apron with nothing else on. It just is what it is.
Speaker 2: And I, you know, I'm just I you know, I'm not trying to be me in here, but I will say it does sound like you're talking about AI chatbot girlfriends, like they're not real girlfriends. And I just want to say, like, if your feminism doesn't include.
Speaker 3: Robots, yeah, where are we even? Is that the farm wave that we're about to catch is just bringing in the AI sex workers too, and being like, no, this is this also kinds because this is the thing. A lot of actual human sex workers have quickly pointed out this fucking weird double standard. Gemma Rose, who's the director of the pole Dance Stripper Movement, which like a UK based sex worker rights or organization, said, quote, as a sex worker, if I put anything like I will do anything for you. I will make you come in a minute. I would be deleted in an instant because a lot of these ads are like you will fucking blast your whole nut off in one minute of talking with this AI fuck bot. And Miles does work as a copywriter. Oh yeah, yeah, who in the sky?
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh my god, that's so gross.
Speaker 3: Like but what's wild is like these guidelines, right, how I've just affected like sex workers, Like people know if you create content around things like sex positivity or sex education like suddenly Instagram like yeah, flagging that shit. It's like I'm telling you people about the fucking human body. But you can run ads where it's like, hey man, you want to fuck your step mom right this way, see her fully nude with this chatbot. And it's not clear what like Meta's next move is here. I mean, they may just do like a massive purge of those kinds of accounts like they did with like sex worker accounts too. But apparently a lot of the reason these platforms have cracked down on sex work too, even recently, is because of a sex trafficking bill that became long twenty eighteen, which basically made platforms responsible for like what is posted. Yeah, but then that also unfortunately led to like the restriction of consensual sex work or like consensual sex work being categorized as trafficking like overall in the online world.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and sex workers told us at that time. I'm like, hey, this is what they're trying to do here, you know, but like this is obviously like to crack down on consensual sex work and a fitty thing. It's going to and danger trafficking victims even more, you know, And that has come to be the case. But you know, people don't listen to sex workers when, you know, when they express what's going to be good for them, you know, law wise or not.
Speaker 1: Yeah, sex workers are maybe the most kind of undervalued human beings in like the US mainstream media. Like they just aren't counted as human beings in a lot of cases.
Speaker 2: Yeah, which is weird because it's like everybody is and I won't say everybody like you know, but there's I would say that most men in the United States are engaging with pornography on some level or another. Like I certainly haven't very met very many men who aren't watching like porn sometimes at least and also a lot of women and also a lot of non binary people. But you know, it's like this product that you know, so many people are consuming, but the workers it's fine to just you know, treat them as horribly as possible.
Speaker 3: Right exactly, Because again, yeah, it's like it's like, well, you know, that's in line with the patriarchal aspects of this country and also like the puritanical ones. It's like, well, I mean like if women are suffering or then maybe that's okay. Yeah, but yeah, for something that we call the oldest profession, we should I feel like give a little bit more respect to it. Yes, this profession has been around for a long time, so there's a lot of momentum to sex work.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: We talked about how like this platform that is a competitor to only fans called Fanview that specializes in like AI models, right, is like doing incredibly well. So like this is this is happening for sure, gonna it's gonna come, And I feel like people aren't going to stop it because it's just taking away sex workers ability to make a living and nobody is making. In the history of America, laws and legislation protecting sex work has been shockingly absent.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but how quickly too. It's like, oh, yeah, we can usher like this, this can take people's jobs. We'll just let this this this tech version of like weird algorithmic sex work be like the norm or whatever, and yeah, well we will welcome your ad dollars, but not an actual person.
Speaker 1: No, so does the step mom thing that like they're using on the step mom thing pictures of like people's step moms, Like is that what that means?
Speaker 3: Or is can you like load your own step mom?
Speaker 1: But I'm serious, that is like such a fucking violation of product, Like if you're taking from Facebook and I don't know not I think it's role play.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, well cause already, I mean this is where we're This is where it's so sticky. We've talked already and like that AI beauty pageant thing how people have just had their likeness just fully ripped from the Internet. Yeah, that's what I'm saying, Like that's the future where we're headed like that. I mean, it's already happening to celebrities, but like I'm sure, like the fact that this is happening on Facebook, Like I'm sure there's a future where that's what people like that is what is being offered, or at least not openly offered. But yeah, the service that's being provided, which is so fucked up. Yeah, I'm sure we're only i mean, like without legislation, I mean, we're going to be there pretty quick. Like yeah, it's probably gonna be like give us four pictures of a person, like how it is now when people are like, hey, man, want to make like your cool Disney like Pixar version of yourself, It's like, give us five pictures. Yeah, and that's just all the data we need and we could probably faithfully recreate your likeness. And what's going to stop that from like just kind of like fucked up violating.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's just gonna be there's gonna be so much revenge porn, but it won't even be like actual videos of the person, and it'll just be like, you know, a guy doesn't like a woman that you know, turned him down or whatever, so he's going to generate some AI porn of her blasted all over the internet.
Speaker 1: Yeah, horribly Well cool. Well, I'm sure the US government has our back on that one. They'll probably figure it out.
Speaker 2: Figure out, But at least they banned TikTok yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: Right, that's that's that that makes me sleep better at night. But it's been such a pleasure having you on the daily Zeitgeist. Where can people find you? Follow you all that good stuff?
Speaker 2: Okay? Cool? So yeah, you know I did. I did go off about political stuff a lot on this podcast, but I also made a comedy special, which isn't it doesn't have that much to do with politics. I have a new special out on Amazon and Apple TV called Loopholes, and it is about you know, it's it's about kind of like the expectations on the Modern Lady, some of the which we're talking about now, but like you know, sex, domesticity, trad wives, reproductive rights, and you know, I think it's really funny special. I'm excited to put it out and you can get it on Amazon, Apple TV or it's on YouTube as well. And I am on Instagram at Kate Willett, which is a really good place to you know, see my tour dates. I'm probably coming to your study very soon, and I'm I'm releasing a new podcast at the beginning of May, so if you want to check that out, it's going to be called Ruining Dinner and it's going to be released in a couple of weeks.
Speaker 3: Here dinner about Oh so.
Speaker 2: I'm going to have people on to talk about their most awkward conversation topic, like the thing that they're not supposed to say, like you know, yeah, comedians but also journalists and like whatever, the topic that people ruined dinner with. We're going to talk about that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, British cole gas study for me. Oh, British coal gas study here.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I love talking about suicide at dinner parties.
Speaker 3: You know what's interesting, actually, you stop using coal gas? Oh my god, hey speaking of coal. Nobody said anything about coal? Uh oh wait were you just using the oven? Okay, so decades ago, Kate.
Speaker 1: Is there a work of media that you've been enjoying besides your own special of course?
Speaker 2: Well, I think like the tweet that I say originally was like a tweet from more Perfect Union, and it was about how Hawaii is going to ban or severely restrict Airbnb, and I'm excited about that. I think that that's a positive.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So to finally see some pushback on like these sech companies that are taking all these people's housing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, amazing miles. Where can people find you? Is there a working media you've been enjoying, uh, Twitter, Instagram and the like at Miles of Gray.
Speaker 3: If you want to hear well, I wasn't quite crying yet about the Lakers on the latest episode of Miles and jackot Mad Boosties. I mean I was, I was preparing for for terrible pain. You're getting a tear Duck's warm Yeah, yeah, yeah, next episode, I will fully be just drowning in my own tears. But anyway, if you want to hear us talk basketball, Miles and Jack got Mad Boosties. If you want a switch, just a break from the shit, and you want to hear me talk about shit reality television, then check me and Sofia Alexander out on four to twenty Day Fiance where we talk about ninety day fiance. Some tweets I like at Awa Rhiannon past guests Rhiannon and hermam just tweeted, I was in jail with some batties, free them all, Free Palestine. Yeah, I mean she was right there in the University of Texas. So yes, I hope everything turned out okay for you. And then another alec Herricktsana's tweet, I think just you know, in times like this he's always just just getting to the point I had. Equality, Alex said. One of the primary functions of police to violently crush progressive social movements. It's one of the reasons expanding the size of size and power of police is always authoritarian and is never an answer to inequality. It is a key part of preserving inequality in all its forms.
Speaker 2: There, it is amazing. That's a great really well expressed.
Speaker 3: I can't beat that.
Speaker 1: But you can find me on Twitter at Jack Underscore O'Brien. You can find us on Twitter at Daily Zeitgeist. We're at the Daily Zeitgeist on Instagram. We have a Facebook fanpage on a website Daily zeigist dot com where we post our episode and our footnote where we link off to the information that we talked about in today's episode, as well as a song that we think you might enjoy. Miles, what song do you think people might enjoy?
Speaker 3: This is a song called cherry Pop by Jamison j MS. And you know it's known as like a producer but also kind of like does their own music worked with like Kendrick the Game, k Trinata, Sango Taku artists like that. But this track is just kind of like a like a kind of haunted R and B pop song, but it's it's just pretty cool. So check this out. Cherry Pops by Jamison amazing. We will link off to that in the footnotes. The dailyes guys the production of iHeartRadio.
Speaker 1: For more podcasts from iHeartRadio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple podcast, or wherever fine podcasts, or give it away for free.
Speaker 3: That's gonna do it for us. This week.
Speaker 1: We are back on Monday morning to tell you what was trending over the weekend. There will also be a highlight reel from this week's episode this season Best of Season three point thirty five dropping tomorrow, and yeah, have a safe weekend. We'll talk to you all Monday morning.
Speaker 3: Bye.