Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, podcasts, radio news.
Speaker 2: Let me start with I don't respond to comments by other officials, whoever they may be. It's just not appropriate to do that. I will tell you why I attended. I would say that that case is perhaps the most important legal case in the FED one hundred and thirteen year history, and as I thought about it, I thought it might be hard to explain why I didn't attend. In addition, Paul Volker went to a Supreme Court case famously, and I guess nineteen eighty five or so, so it's precedented, and I thought it was an inappropriate thing, and I did it.
Speaker 3: That was Federal Reserve Chairman Jerome Palell answering questions today on why he attended the Supreme Court hearing regarding President Trump's attempt to dismiss FED Governor Lisa Cook. As we also wait to hear who President Trump's next FED chair pick will be, let's discuss all this with Laol. She is Distinguished Fellow at the Georgetown Center for Financial Markets and Policy. She's also the former Vice chair of the Federal Reserve and the former NEC director. It's fantastic to have you with us. There was a lot. Jerome Prow did not address today, nothing on the dollar, nothing on his plans as to whether he'll leave the FED in May, and nothing really more on political pressure on the Fed on himself. But he did comment on that case against Lisa Cook his decision to attend that hearing. Do you agree with that characterization that this potentially is the most important legal case in the Fed's one hundred and thirteen year history.
Speaker 4: I do. I think that the Supreme Court case on whether the President can fire a sitting governor of the Federal Reserve Board without any due process and without showing clearer connection to their ability to undertake the responsibilities that they were confirmed by the Senate to do, is extremely important for the independence of the FED. And I think that the press conference the statement today just really conveyed the message that the Federal Reserve is doing its job. It is staying out of the political fray. It is looking carefully at the data and making policy exactly on the lines that Congress told it to, which is to preserve a strong labor market, maximum employment, and to get inflation down to two percent. And I think that was the focus of the Federal Reserve Chair today in the press conference, didn't allow himself to get distracted, didn't really get pulled into the political fray.
Speaker 3: How much longer, though, do you think that the Fed can stay out of that political phray, especially as we approach May, when the President will have his pick of who to nominate to the Federal Reserve. Of course, the chair is just one of many votes, but even still, you have to imagine that ideological they will fall in line with the President's thinking on interest rates.
Speaker 4: Well, certainly that is important to the president. He has said that many times that the chair that he selects needs to reflect his views. On the other hand, all of the candidates also will be looking carefully at the data. We heard a lot about the data today from share pal. We saw that the statement reflected the fact that there's been an upgrade to the labor market. There's less concern now about unemployment. And so the new chair is going to have to get support from the remainder of the committee, that committee that's been in place for some time now if he wants to take the committee in a very different direction, and he'll have to do it based on the dual mandate that was provided by Congress and based on the evolution of the outlook and.
Speaker 1: The I'm curious though with regards to that data level. I mean, obviously, you know, a lot of a big takeaway from the statement in the press conference was the idea that the economy is kind of a surprisingly stronger I think I'm kind of paraphrasing his words there than what they thought a little bit more stabilization in the labor market. But then towards the end of that press conference, he started talking about I think what a lot of us has talked about, this K shaped economy, the idea that yeah, overall we're doing good, but there is some bifurcation, and I'm wondering if it's the fed's job to address that or do they ignore that and just focus on the aggregate.
Speaker 4: Well, we're certainly seeing this divergence with strong aggregate growth clearly being driven by the AI boom, the boom and data centers and semiconductors in AI infrastructure. But on the other hand, we're seeing the labor market basically treading water, with low hiring, low firing being kind of the characterization really the last several months in the labor market and in consumer sentiment. We saw yesterday that the combination of high prices and diminished job opportunities are leading to some real concern on the part of consumers, with the lowest consumer sentiment since twenty fourteen, which is a little just a little hard to understand given the pandemic. But the job of the Federal Reserve is to focus on the overall labor market, and it does look like the labor market is in pretty good balance. It certainly has stabilized. We saw some uptick in the unemployment rate, but then in the last month or so it seems to be holding steady, and growth is certainly strong, and of course you've still got strong inflation, which the chair talked about core PCE, which is really their focus three point one percent.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, I am curious, so lil too about another aspect of this talk about the FED being data dependent. One of the reporters asked them a question about the reliability of the FED models, specifically in the context of some meaningful structural changes going on in our economy, whether it's the potential advocation for a week or dollar. Obviously a huge shift in trade policies and other things here, and you seem to suggest that those are to a certain degree or another incorporated into the FED models, are they so?
Speaker 4: Look, I think every policy maker on the FOMC uses a combination of both the fed's models but also outside models. They look at private sector forecasts, They talk to business contacts. I certainly talk to community leaders, labor leaders, consumers. You gather as much information as you can about how the economy is likely to evolve, so it's not really driven by a single model. I think that would lead to perhaps much less robust policy making. And of course you're right that with AI driving potentially a real structural shift in the economy, they have to be getting data from businesses and from workers on the ground to get a sense of that turning point, which is so hard to capture in models that are based on past data and past relationships.
Speaker 1: Well, I have to ask you, with all the things going on in Washington right now, do you have faith conviction that this will remain an independent FED.
Speaker 4: Well, it will, I think, remain to be seen. It will hinge on whether or not the Supreme Court strengthens the independence of the Federal Reserve by making clear that the four cause protection that Congress put into the Statute in nineteen thirty five is really observed, or whether it turns out the president can fire a governor at will, in which case I think the independence of the Federal Reserve will be fundamentally compromised.
Speaker 1: Loyle, always great to have you, great insights. Leil Brainer, former vice chair of the FED. Now where we're at the Georgetown Center for Financial Markets and Policy