Speaker 1: Well conatrillions.
Speaker 2: I'm Joel Weber and I'm Eric Balchunas Eric, this is an episode that we've actually been waiting on for a while.
Speaker 1: Vanguard had this thing. Now that patent expired.
Speaker 3: What am I talking about.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so everybody knows what mutual funds are, and they have share classes ABCI class depending on how much you can afford. It's kind of like a regressive tax system. The more you can pony up, the less they charge you, Joel, which is pretty consistent with the rest of society. But anyway, mutual funds have the share class system, and then ETFs existed separately. Vanguard developed a patent where the ETF would be just bolted into the mutual fund as another share class. But because that patent, nobody could do it. But the patent expired a couple of years ago, and so basically like eighty to one hundred mutual fund firms were like, yeah, let's do that. So they all filed and the SEC starting to approve them, and the guinea Pig, the first one out of the gate to do a non Vanguardian ETF share class of a mutual fun is dimensional DFA, and they put it out recently, and it's basically a big moment for the industry. It's wonky, but it's major. And the reason it's major is because those eighty to one hundred issuers have in the ballpark of ten trillion dollars in assets. So if you're sitting out there and you own a mutual fund and you kind of would rather have it in the ETF format, you might be able to get that without having to sell your mutual fund. You can maybe just move over. There's a lot of options now. And also, at the end of the day, ETFs were the fisher biting trol. It's like Spotify, It's just how people like to get music. So if you're an asset manager, you definitely want to get your strategy in this format.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 2: You wouldn't make an album and only put it on compact disc, right, So this is a way for some legacy managers to get their stuff out in the format people wanted in.
Speaker 1: Well, let's go fishing. Joining us Dimensional Fund Advisors, Joel Schneider, who's the vice president of portfolio management, I think also joining us Katie Greifeld of Bloomberg News, who's written about this story already, this time on trillions the ETF share class. Joel Schneider, Welcome to Trillions.
Speaker 3: Thank you for having me excited to be here.
Speaker 1: Katie welcome as well. Hey, Joel, I want to start with you. What exactly did Dimensional launch here?
Speaker 3: Yeah, recently we launched the industry's first ETF share class of an active mutual fund. So, as Eric was saying earlier, we think this is a big deal for the industry and that you're likely to see more of these to come.
Speaker 1: And how does it work.
Speaker 3: Is it an ETF or a mutual fund? It's both. There is one underlying portfolio that holds all the investments, and there's two access points to it, so investors can buy it directly from us the manager, which is the way mutual funds transact, or they can buy it on an exchange in the brokerage account or other accounts through the ETF share class. And what this will do is it will allow some of the benefits of both vehicle types to coexist. You're talking about bringing really big economies of scale right. Because it's one pool of assets, you're able to amortize some of the costs across a bigger pool. You also get more choice because in the past, investors always had to think about what strategy do I want? Is it available in an ETF or a mutual fund? And then, as Eric was referring to earlier, they would have to think about are the costs similar? Because before I used to have pretty different costs for different types of classes. So hopefully going forward investors can just say what investment strategy do I want, and then it can be available in either way they can consume it as a ETF as a mutual fund for similar prices.
Speaker 1: Okay, I'm curious, what problem do you think that this solves that either existing ETFs or mutual funds don't.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think there's a couple of them. So Eric talked earlier about there are some investors who would prefer to hold an ETF instead of a mutual fund, and being able to convert in a tax free way is very beneficial to them. So in the prior world, they would have to sell that share of the mutual fund, potentially realize the capital gains, pay tax, and then buy that ETF share. So in the future, are actually starting now with these new share classes, they will be able to convert in a tax free manner to get an ETF share instead of a mutual fund share. I think that's a big problem that solved. A second problem I think is solved is what I was mentioning earlier, which is it was pretty hard to navigate figuring out what investment do I want, how is it offered, and then how's it priced? Differently, I think it brings a lot of simplicity where you can go get the investment you want in the rapper you want for a similar price.
Speaker 2: So, Katie, you wrote the big story on this that recently came out, and looking at this, you've been covering this for the whole time. What are your thoughts on this? And can you give us some details on this guinea pig ETF that is the first one.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's pretty interesting.
Speaker 6: So Dimensional, as Joel Schneider knows well, is going ahead. The first product is going to be the dimensional US microcap ETF. The mutual fund that it's being tacked onto has existed as a mutual fund since nineteen eighty one.
Speaker 5: So I find that I find that pretty charming.
Speaker 6: You know, microcaps, you don't really think of them that much. And I would like to ask Joel, I mean other Joel, not Jeel Weber Jewel Schneider. I mean, talk to us a little bit about how you selected the micro Cap Fund to be your debut product here, because you know, people have a personality assigned to small caps to large caps. Maybe that's just me, but I feel like micro caps don't take up as much mind share.
Speaker 3: It's great you call it charming. I hope people have a positive reaction to it, because what it is is it's a solution to one of the major problems that investors are facing in the market right now. Everyone's talking about how top heavy the market is, right Everyone's worried about concentration US large caps, and there's a lot of other solutions out there that people are pursuing to try to deal with that, and in some ways, they're just sort of reshuffling the chairs. And if you're holding let's say that's five s top five hundred in an equal weight format, you're not actually getting additional diversification. You're not gaining access to different exposures. And what this Portfoli folio does is it targets companies that are in the smallest five percent of market cap in the US. And as you said, Katie, it's been around for forty five years. It's had a great track record of outperforming other small cap funds, other small cap indexes. It's beaten the Rustle two thousand by one hundred and fifty basis points a year annualized for forty five years. So if you compound that, that's just massive wealth creation for our investors. And it behaves differently than the large cap space, and so if you're looking to round out your portfolio and diversify away from being so top heavy, this is a great solution.
Speaker 2: I have a question about this one too, because the performance is ridiculously good versus small Of course, large caps have beaten everything since then, but it really has demolished small caps. It's weird though. The microcap ETFs on the market don't have a ton of assets. As Katie said, they're kind of forgotten. Is that why you pick this? Did you feel like there was more white space here or was it the idea that this mutual fund that you have is only has one class, which is institutional. So the ETF has the same expense ratio as the institutional class of the mutual fund. So there really is no AB or C classes with a higher fee that you might potentially annoy which I think could be an issue with other funds where you give people the I class fee and the ETF and the ABC people are like, hey, that's not cool. We found that to be somewhat of an inhibitor in some cases with conversions and other things of that sort. But any thoughts on that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm glad you're bringing that up, because I think a challenge that some managers may face is if they're offering different price points on their mutual funds, it could create this pricing challenge, and that's never been our philosophy. Our philosophy is we want to offer institution grade whether they're mutual funds or ETFs, and really let the investor choose which rapper is best for them in their situation. And so for other future ETF share classes in our lineup, I think you'll see something similar right where we're not going to face some of that challenge with multiple pricing points that other managers may face. Another thing that I think you have to be cognizant of is if you're running a more traditional active strategy that has higher turnover, is more concentrated, then that may be more challenging in an ETF format. Now, you mentioned earlier that the performance of this strategy, the microcap strategy, has been excellent for a really long time period, and you may think that it is doing that in some sort of high turnover active way, but it's not. It's actually broadly diversified, it's low turnover, it's incredibly tax efficient. Everyone in the ETF ecosystem loves to talk about tax efficiency, and this strategy as a mutual fund was actually more tax efficient than the other small cap index ETFs that were out there. So I think there's it'll depend on the manager and the strategy in terms of what strategies are best to bring in the ETF share class format.
Speaker 1: Okay, I'm I'm gonna ask a question. I'm gonna regret asking the question, but can you walk us through how that tax efficiency actually works under the hood.
Speaker 3: Sure, happy to. It's our goal to be one of the most tax efficient managers in the entire industry, whether that's a ETF or a mutual fund. And I think start with the really simple framework, which is taxes are driven by two things, right, capital gains and income. The ETF industry, he puts a lot of focus on capital gains, and rightfully so we do too. Last year the US Microcap mutual fund had no capital gain distribution. The year before that had no capital gain distribution. But let's not forget that income also matters, and any investment fund, whether it's ETF mutual fund, can put off two types of income, qualified and non qualified. And qualified income is taxed like a long term capital gain, but non qualified income is taxed like a short term capital gain. So at the highest marginal rate, non qualified dividend income is a forty point eight percent tax. So that's really toxic. And what our strategies do is they are maximizing the amount of qualified income. So compared to other index ETFs that are out there, if you go look at their QDI percentage, they are putting out a lot more non qualified dividend income that's taxed at a much higher rate. And so the way that any of the listeners would find this information for themselves without having to get too much in the weeds is start from the highest level. Just open up the perspectus, go to the performance section of any fund or ETF, and there will be a pre tax return and there will be a post tax return, and you just want to compare the difference year by year, and that difference is called the tax cost. And so across the morning Star universe of US small cap strategies, the average tax cost has been over one hundred basis points. And if you narrow it down to just the biggest small cap index ETFs, that tax costs was still about fifty basis points, whereas this strategy's tax cost last year was only twenty nine basis points, so twenty one basis points better than some of the big index ETFs.
Speaker 5: I didn't see you right in that town. Tool.
Speaker 1: I got it all twenty one basis points better.
Speaker 5: Joel Schneider.
Speaker 6: Something I did want to ask you. You know, it feels like every asset manager has filed to do this with the SEC in some form. Dimensional obviously first, yes, it's it's nuts. I think the number is close to it's close to triple digits at this point. Dimensional first of the punch. But I was recently speaking with Capital Group, for example, about why they didn't file for this exemptive relief, which was pretty interesting, and their point was that the bulk of their mutual fund assets are sitting in retirement accounts, and if you have a mutual fund in a retirement account, it's not as urgent to you know, get the tax efficiency that the ETF offers, since I believe capital gains aren't taxed in the same way if it's in a retirement account. I'm sure I butchered that somehow. But I wonder how Dimensional sorted through that. I mean, what percent of Dimensional's mutual funds are in retirement accounts and versus you know, how many would be eligible for something like this.
Speaker 3: So you were right, Katie that the mutual funds that are held by investors in four one ks, those are tax exempt, and so they're not dealing with those income distributions each year. And so this is why it's actually so important to be able to, I think, offer share classes of either. So we've talked already today about taking some of our mutual funds and offering ETF share classes. And the types of clients that care about that may be a financial advisor who has both a retirement business and a wealth business, and once they've done the diligence on the strategy and they're like, I really love this investment strategy. I would like to be able to use it for both types of clients. Now, they can, whereas before they were faced with the trade off where they could only use it in one or the other. But going the other direction, we actually do have some strategies that are only offered in ETF formats right now that we are likely to bring over and offer mutual fund share classes of So we recently filed to do that for two strategies that we call our market series. And what these are is they're designed to be index replacement strategies, so they have lower tracking air than most of our other more active strategies, but they're designed to outperform, and they have a track record of outperforming. And we have some clients who are using those for their taxable clients in the ETF wrapper, saying we would love to be able to offer those in mutual fund format to some of our retirement clients. Or we have institutions who are tax exempts saying we would like to have these in another vehicle type, and so we are likely to offer both types of share classes, so then you can get the economies of scale of running one portfolio with two different access points.
Speaker 2: Okay, let's talk about the performance record of the track record, because a lot of ETF issuers it's really important for advisors to have a track record, and in order to get on the wirehouse platform sometimes they they want to see three years and this has been a challenge for some of the active clones that have come out. They've got to really perform well in the market. Do you get to use the mutual funds performance when marketing the ETF or do the wirehouse is consider it to be the same performance? How does that work?
Speaker 3: Yeah, track records are really important, and in the case of the ETF share classes, it is literally a new access point to an existing portfolio, and so that's viewed as a track record that you can rely upon. And in the case of DFMC, the microcap ETF share class, that portfolio has a forty five year track record and so people who come in and do diligence on the ETF share class can look through a ton of history and understand how that portfolio is design and how it's managed, how it's behaved, and that does I think give the ETF share class a leg up over a newly issued ETF, even if it's of sort of a sister strategy.
Speaker 1: Joe, I'm also curious how many mutual funds do you expect are going to from Dimensional have this new ETF share class, And now that I know you intend to go the other way, what the overall Dimensional portfolio start to look like with the addition of this share class.
Speaker 3: Yeah. So, so I'll say two things about this. The first is we have went out and spoken with many, many of our clients across different channels, so different types of advisors, different types of institutions, to try to understand what they need. Because our job isn't necessarily to be a supermarket where we offer one of everything. We're really our client is the financial professional, and so we're trying to give them professional grade tools, best in class strategies so they can accomplish the investment outcomes that they need for their clients or their organizations. And what we've heard from all of them, I shouldn't say all, but the vast, vast majority have said we really like this idea of having shared classes, and then the other ones have really just not said anything. To be honest, I have not heard a negative thing yet. Most of them are very supportive of the idea that there's going to be mutual funds share classes of ETFs and ETF shared classes and mutual funds, and so in terms of what that means for our plans in the short run, we have filed to bring thirteen different US equity strategies to the ETF share Class Rapper. We will likely be doing that through the rest of this year and into the following years. I think you can probably expect fixed income to follow equity, and then non US markets to follow the US markets, and so we do have a pretty big pipeline in mind. It will be driven by client demand. But if we realize sort of the vision that we're hearing clients want us to realize, and this is a big statement, but I think you'll see us go from being a big mutual fund manager and a big ETF manager. And you know, we've been the largest active ETF manager. I think we could potentially go to become one of the largest ETF managers period, whether that's active or passive, big words, big words.
Speaker 2: Right now, they're at two hundred and fifty five billion, which is pretty good. I mean, I think they're ninth ish around there. So this is going to.
Speaker 5: Help higher up when it comes to active.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, dominant and active overall ninth But you know, look, I think the whole industry is looking for you at you guys, because there's all these people who have filed, but that I can tell there they want to see some data come back from the marketplace, and it'll be interesting to see what happens with you. I think. Do you feel that that there's a lot of people watching you to see what happens or do you think we'll see other launches very quickly even if we don't have any maybe early flows or information from your funds.
Speaker 1: How does it feel to be a guinea pig more or less?
Speaker 3: Yeah, We're happy to be the guinea pig. And one of the things that I'll say has actually been very positive for the industry here is when we put out that first application for exemptive relief, a lot of the other managers ended up using our application as sort of a template, and I think there was a healthy discussion in the industry with SEC about all the benefits that this can bring to end clients. Now, do I think that it'll be panacea, that it'll be a universal solution for everybody in that every fund in the industry will also turn into an ETF. Probably not. Not every strategy is well suited to an etf rapper. Right, You've seen the debates already about what can be fit into an etf rapper over on the private side and people dealing with the lack of liquidity. I think people will eventually run into some limits of what can be put in the etf rapper, even in public markets, and so I think that other managers will have to think through which of their strategies are well suited to the etf rapper, and then it's not one of those situations where if you build it, people will just come. I think it's also important that you spend time talking with your clients to understand is this a solution that they really need. And what we've done is we've went out. You know, we saw in the first day of trading for DFMC some clients come in and place trades on day one in really large sizes and get great executions inside a very tight spread. So that type of coordination with your clients is key. You can't just sort of toss these things out there in the market and hope that assets show up.
Speaker 7: Okay, I'm curious, Eric, what's the big number that you know we've come back to this in a couple of years. How much money moves into ETFs because of this, you.
Speaker 2: Mean everybody, or just this one microcap BTF?
Speaker 1: Everybody?
Speaker 2: Okay, well, let me start with the microcap BTF. The mutual fund has six point six billion, this ETF has one million. So what portion of them come over? If we use Vanguard as a model, I think about ten percent went from the one class to the other. But the ETF was cheaper for them for most of them, only one bit. But that's enough for Vanguardians to move. This one's the same fee, but the tax efficiency is better.
Speaker 3: We'll see.
Speaker 2: I think this dfa ETF, if it has over I don't know, one hundred million, five hundred million in the next couple months, that will turn heads. And if it gets one to two billion, or even goes and becomes more than fifty percent of the mutual fund, everyone's going to be like jumping in like crazy. That's my guess on this guinea pig. In terms of if that happens, man, I mean, we could see a lot of money coming in. ETFs took in one point five trillion last year. This year they're already on pace to have more than that. This is a big variable. I just think it's going to happen in slow, gradual stages. It's possible it goes gradually then and then suddenly, like if like DFA you know, attracts fidelity and then Capital Group and then we're looking at the big fish of that active world. I think you could find then it's like suddenly. But I think it will be gradually. If I had to estimate, I don't know, maybe like a couple billion in the first few months and then we'll go to ten billions and then one hundred billion. But I don't know. I think it's going to depend. But here's what I do know, Joel. If you look at the especially equities, equity mutual funds saw a trillion of auflows last year, most ever by far, and the markets were.
Speaker 3: Up a ton.
Speaker 2: I mean, you have to be in dire straits to see money come out when the market's up that much. ETFs on the equity side took in you know, close to one trillion, So that's they're in this business.
Speaker 1: If you're going to make a prediction market wager on Calshier polymarket, what is the question that we want to ask here? Is it by the end of the year, this new share class is it ten billion dollars that have moved into it.
Speaker 2: Let me set the over under for Katie and Joel and all three of you, and then you tell me where you go. Okay, if I'm Vegas and I have to set an over under.
Speaker 1: Vegas anymore, let me just do prediction market, yes or no?
Speaker 2: True? Okay, first twelve next, the first twelve months. Okay, the over under in assets in ETF share classes X Vanguard, Right, this is active only. I'm going to go with fifteen billion.
Speaker 5: Well, I guess I'll take the under.
Speaker 1: Joe Schneider, He's like, uh uh uncomfortable.
Speaker 3: No, So in the in the next twelve months. I think there's a big thing that's going to happen in between now and the next twelve months, which is the industry's working on more of an automated conversion mechanism. So today, if someone wants to move their money in a tax free way out of the mutual fund and into the ETF share class, they have to go through a manual process that involves a lot of paperwork. And I think that while that's in place, and we worked really hard to get that in place for our investors, that will cause it to be a slower conversion. As soon as you can log into your broker JAP and there's a button for it and you can move it in a tax free way, I think that you'll see a big increase. And so right now we're expecting that to be later in this calendar year. But as soon as that happens, then I think you're probably order of magnitude closer to Eric's estimate than single digits.
Speaker 1: Information has coming to light that puts me over.
Speaker 3: I'll take that.
Speaker 1: I'll take the guess on that.
Speaker 5: I'll still take the under.
Speaker 2: Okay, And Joel, what would you take if you had to bet?
Speaker 3: I think you're probably order magnitude in the tensvillions, all right.
Speaker 2: So my over under is pretty solid. That's really interesting information, Joel. I agree. Anything can make easier will help. The other thing that I'm accounting for is another big name or two coming in, and you never know. Some of these firms have prepared and they want to look good, right, so they launched the ETF share class. They want to kind of fill it quickly. Because assets is marketing, you want to look like it's a success story. So I think there'll be some like preparation before, so it looks like they're have a hit on their hands.
Speaker 6: Part of the reason I think that I'm taking the under which I have to say, surprises me.
Speaker 1: Usually you're already regretting at.
Speaker 6: Usually I root for chaos and it's just like I want to see big things happen.
Speaker 5: But do you remember ants?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, I wonder if this could be similar.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's of non transparent.
Speaker 2: By the way, that's a pretty good point. The problem with ants, though, I think transparency is just the hallmark of ETFs. The second thing is that people who launched ants tended to be I think high cost managers who were so afraid that their IP was so great nobody could see their holdings and they thought they're worth like one hundred basis points. So the ants tended to be higher cost. I think most of these will be like DFA where they launched or JEPY where they launched at the R six or I class. And if they do that, then the ABC people are probably gonna have no reason to stay there. So you couldn't launch this at an A class price point, because I mean, I just don't see it selling an ETF market. So they're going to have to launch it closer to the eye right, and that alone will entice people. Well uh, but will it get new bites from like probably probably not most of them, to be honest with you, A lot of this is a conversion story, But this fun from these guys. The microcap I mean microcaps are kind of forgotten. Nobody's really in there. There is a if they just launched this straight and it wasn't a share class, I would look at this a little bit. It's interesting, it's it's you know, it's outperformed at least the mutual fund. Has the managers done a good job? Microcaps have been like off the radar. Maybe it could get like a Vanti style in the small cap category. Maybe it could like kick off some microcap interest. This one has some real market I think potential. But DFA is a great case of like their conversions are all like very low cost. I mean they have low tracking error, but their fee is low, so they have beta adjusted their fees. So I will say the ones that will have the most success are the ones that most beta adjust their fees. DFA is really good at that, so this is JP Morgan. Others not so good. So I think that's where the success and failures will go.
Speaker 6: Well, let's say that, you know, we are talking about tens of billions of dollars and Joel Schneider, I'll throw it back to you because there's a lot of conversation about the market making community within the ETF. We know that it's pretty concentrated, pretty top heavy, and there's a lot of concern around there about you know, whether market makers.
Speaker 5: Might run into bandwidth issues if we're.
Speaker 6: Talking about you know, a big increase in overall ETF AUM and a big increase you know, thousands of new ETFs coming to market, whether or not basically the industry could handle that from a market making perspective. And I wonder, you know what those conversations have sounded like, ad dimensional and you know, industry wide, what your thoughts are there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think it's a big topic for the industry. We certainly thought a lot about it, and we've worked with a lot of these market makers for decades. Right, we've managed ETFs for ten years, but we've also worked with a lot of these markets going back multiple decades, so have very deep relationships with them, do a lot of business with them. And as you saw on Friday in terms of the lead market maker for this product, like very good executions for the clients that came in on day one. Luckily, a manager our size and with our reputation in history, we get to work with the A team. We get to work with a lot of the best market makers that are out there. I do think as people start to come into the market, they may not have the depth of relationships with some of those aps and market makers, and then the strategies themselves may be more difficult to make markets in. I think they're going to have to engage with that community and figure out what's possible, because what you don't want to do is launch a product and then have the end investor have a bad experience. So for us the north Stars, those investors need to have low costs when they trade, so tight spreads, good executions, good liquidity, and that's not something that we would compromise on in products that we would bring. But I think people are going to have to spend a lot of time thinking through that, because you're right, Katie, there's not unlimited balance sheet available from some of the marketmakers.
Speaker 1: All Right, we're gonna leave it there, Katie Greidfield Joel Schneider, thanks so much for joining us on Trillions.
Speaker 3: Cool.
Speaker 4: Thanks guys, all right, thanks for listening to Trillions. Until next time. You can find us on the Bloomberg Terminal, Bloomberg dot com, Apple Podcasts, Spotify.
Speaker 3: Or wherever else you'd like to listen. We'd love to hear from you.
Speaker 4: Hit us up on social I'm at Joel Weber Show, He's at Eric Faulchina's. Trillions is produced by Magnus Hendrickson