Speaker 1: Welcome everyone to the Amy and TJ Podcast. Amy Robot here along with my partner TJ. Holmes, and we're continuing our conversation with New York Times best selling author and self help guru Gabby Bernstein.
Speaker 2: We are lucky enough to be sitting here in New York having this conversation right now. And we three of us have had different journeys, but it wasn't always a pleasant one. But we're sitting here in New York and but blessed folks. But there are so many folks in the country who are who will listen to this conversation and go, how am I supposed to do that? I'm under constant assault because I'm just trying to put food on the table. I'm under constant assault because I'm trying to get my kid to a decent school. For those folks who maybe don't feel like they have the time, the energy, they just this cannot be the focus because they're in survival mode, literal survival. What can you advise with these same tools for folks who might be thinking I can't do this, I ain't got time for this.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean simple refrain, right, So I choose to see my obstacles as opportunities to leave me in the right direction, or obstacles are detours in the right direction. When we're in crisis, sometimes the simplest thing we can do is pray, is to set an intention. You know, Universe, guide me, I turn this over. I don't know the answer, show me the way, whether to what to pray to Grandma, pray to God, pray to the universe, pray to your inner wisdom. I don't care who you pray to. Just just pray, asking for a guided, a guided, intuitive next step. Because it's in those times of crisis where we need this work most, because that's when that's actually and it's also oftentimes in times of crisis where it works the best because there's this beautiful roomy quote when the wound is the place where the light enters you. And so if you notice, Okay, I'm in a stuck moment right now, I'm feeling completely out of alignment or that this isn't working, that's sometimes where that that cracking point can enter. I think that the time that it takes can't be something that stops you, because this is a shift in your thinking doesn't take time right your your your reconditioning of your mind doesn't have to take time. There's I have a lot of free meditations out there.
Speaker 4: One would be what what would what would be a go to r L the just free Deergaby dot com slash free meditations plural Yeah, Deargabby dot com slash free meditations, And that is a place to start. Just listening to my voice, listening to to to even just someone's podcasts, just listening to something that's going to just change your mind. Now, we can always look at people in those moments of crisis and say one we can say yet, for those of us who are not in crisis, we have to get to work on behalf of those who are. Okay, So those of us who have the privilege to be able to be here in this great studio in New York City and have our green teas and whatever is going on, it's our responsibility to get it together for the people who don't have the same privileges. Because when we get it together, we bring a higher vibration. That higher vibration starts to affect everybody around us. You guys are affecting millions of people. Your high vibration energy is having a ripple effect throughout the world. Even the person that you smile to on the street or the person that you respond to in a direct message. These are moments that could change someone's life. So the world does not have the privilege of having their green tea and sitting in iHeartRadio. But what those of us who do have to get to work and those of us who don't, may they find sparks of light along the way.
Speaker 1: TJ talks about this all the time, but just yes, taking that time to write a note to Smoddy when you're thinking about them. Don't understand or you don't realize perhaps the ripple.
Speaker 3: Effect of that.
Speaker 1: But you talk a lot about vibrations and the energy you put out, it absolutely comes back to you and choosing to how do you tell yourself in a moment when you don't feel like you are in a good place or your energy isn't positive, how do you get out of that and create? Can you force yourself into a higher vibration if you're feeling that lower vibration like I don't care, I don't wanna, this is awful? How do you bring yourself into a higher vibration?
Speaker 3: I would never say force yourself but you can guide yourself. So there's noticing that I'm in this negative thought and then choosing the next best feeling thought. This is the choose again method, which is, Okay, I'm in a really low place, but what's the next best feeling thought. And it could be that, you know, I have I have a coffee break, or I have access to this, to this podcast that I can listen to that's going to make me feel better. I can actually move my body right now, or I can go call a friend and that might make me feel better. And just reaching and thinking your way out, because you know, in my book Add More ang to Your Life, which is my first book, was in her guidance, I had this, I started channel I'm a channel, so I started I can sort of call it energy of the spiritual space. And so I started channeling and Frank at the end of this thing, and I started seeing Anne Frank with she was in the closet, and I started just feeling her presence. And so I closed the book with this story about Anne Frank how she was in you know, in hiding from the Nazis, and she was thinking her way out and she was sort of visioning, like where the daffodils were were in the park and she would think her way out. And the message in that chapter was like, if in the most dire circumstances, like hiding for your life, not being able to speak all day, move all day, and you can think your way out, that's the power of our mind. And so I think that it's about being in the practice of this when things are good, so that when things are tough you have more access to it.
Speaker 2: Can you just briefly, and maybe for me and a lot of the people listening, you will refer so much to low and high vibration, just explain what you mean when we say that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think that when we have a repeated negative belief, that's just going, going, going, it's making us feel terrible. I mean, just think about it. Think about the negative stories that you guys have on Loop in general, and how's that working out for you? Right? Is that making you feel good? Is it making you feel more connected to people? Is it helping you attract more of what you want into your life?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 3: No, no, So when we start to not just override the thoughts like that's why I like the four step check in because that's like befriending the thought. It's giving the thought a little bit of love. It's saying I see you're there. I don't want to push you away. I'm not trying to judge you for being there. I'm just saying, Okay, let's check in so that you can alchemize a little bit and then I can come out and feel a little bit different. And then also some of it's just habitual, right, it's just okay, that's a storyline I've had for forty five years, Gabby Bernstein. Let me change that around. And it's choosing a different thought and catching yourself in the moment.
Speaker 1: It's so empowering, and I have to I do have to revisit it because it's not something that we all slip into. And you even said you do as well into these negative patterns. I wanted you, if you would, to explain angel numbers and signs and why they're a part of your practice, because that is where some people say, come.
Speaker 3: On, yeah, Well, we're always being guided and it's just our choice to choose to see that guidance and follow that guidance. It's always there. We have ancestors, we have guides, we have a team of guides, spiritual guides that are there to support us and guide us and watch over us and direct us and inspire us and put us in the right position and open invisible doors for us. It's just that some of people are tuned off it and some people are turned in, tuned into it. And it's our job as someone who's open, to tune on, to tune in, to tune in, and just to ask and to receive. And so one of the great ways to get that connection from guides is to ask for a sign. And you could ask for a sign that I'm on the right track. You could ask for a sign that the guides are with you. You could ask for a sign that this is the choice that you're making is the right choice. And so I've got all kinds of signs that have followed me around. And recently I was like, you know, I'm going to give the universe a little bit of a curveball. I want rainbow unicorns. And let me tell you something about rainbow unicorns. All day we've been seeing rainbow unicorns. Like the whole we walked by a Fio Schwortz. It was like this huge rainbow unicorn in the window. You know, it's just there everywhere. So you open your and then the next thing, I see a toy with the rainbow unicord. Now is fao schworts. It's easier to find rainbow unicorns. But but it was just in my face, and it's up to you to ask, and it's up to you to witness and receive.
Speaker 2: Well, is that the key right there? Is? Is it really a matter? I guess it's a balance. The universe sends something your way, or you put that own thought in your mind to now you have a different awareness. Are we talking about it? It's a little bit of both, because I might have passed seven rainbow unicorns on the way here, but I wasn't thinking about it. Now that I am, I'm going to see them all in your consciousness.
Speaker 3: But there also is spiritual guidance that's being planted in front of you. So that's when you see eleven eleven, or you see three three three or four four four, you see those numbers in sequence, it's your guide saying wake up, I'm here. You know, there's there's so many moments where that kind of guidance just plants itself in my face, and it's undeniable.
Speaker 1: I feel the same way, Gabby, the same way.
Speaker 3: I did an entire podcast episode on my show Deer Gaby where I was literally telling like six stories in a row of just these incredible moments of when the universe would just plant itself in my face.
Speaker 2: We should do that episode.
Speaker 1: I think we should because it's interesting. Well, I was explaining to him. I was literally at across and I said, I want to know that I'm on the right path and when I am and when I'm thinking things I would love to see. I know, red cardinals are that rare, but living in the city, I turn the corner within five minutes and I said this to my best friend NICKI. I turned the corner and it wasn't actually a cardinal. It was a leftover Christmas decoration of a red cardinal that was stuck to a window that I had never noticed before that I found and I was like, are you kidding signed, So it wasn't even a bird. I was thinking, I was asking to see a bird I see, and I was just like, You've got to be kidding me, And then it just went on and on and on and so sometimes when I'm feeling frustrated or scared or fearful or I don't know if what I'm doing is right. I will literally see a red cardinal.
Speaker 3: Just when I need to and.
Speaker 1: It's the craziest thing. And he's seen me and he's.
Speaker 3: Like he can't. That made you emotional, Yeah, which is a sign too. So the emotions that you're feeling, are you feeling a genuine connection to your guides? Yeah, and that's what's undenied.
Speaker 1: I agree, And I do think that in addition to just being obviously intelligent about making good choices, I do think that when you can lean on a higher power, and again, whatever you call that higher power, it is a little bit about surrender as well and letting the road take you. And it's not where we thought we were going to end up, and it's not how we thought we were going to get there. And look, here we are in the studio with you in a way that I couldn't have imagined. When I was on Good Morning America, you came on, and I believe Robin got to do the interview with you, and I was in the background, and I was so for some reason, I didn't get up get to come meet you or talk to you, but I so wanted I wished I could have done the interview, and I so wanted to be able to have a long conversation with you because of how much your books have meant to me.
Speaker 3: And look here we.
Speaker 1: Are now in the studio having an amazing amount of time to really get into Yes it's not just a four minute quick hit on Good Morning America about your latest book, but actually getting to hear how you think and why you've come to this place and how you've been able to spread this message. That is a blessing that I couldn't have imagined the road that got me.
Speaker 3: Here, and that we can now exchange phone numbers of your friends. Yes, exactly exactly, we're friends. Exactly if us our spiritual running buddies.
Speaker 2: We're not friends or my therapist.
Speaker 3: It's a friend for all my friends. I'm there for them in that way and not being there for me too, So watch out.
Speaker 1: I also want to say congratulations because you are about to celebrate twenty years sober. That is no small feat.
Speaker 3: No small thing, but it's also what has my sobriety was. I was talking to a psychic friend recently and she said, you almost lost your You almost were taken twice and I was like, what do you mean, and she said from seventeen to twenty four. And I could put the twenty four together because at twenty four was when I was using drugs and alcohol, and at that shit the stage right before I was twenty five, I chose to get clean and sober, and so it was a month before I turned twenty five, and so that was That was in two thousand and five, and I made the commitment to get sober. So that I understood, and I was like, what was the other one? She said, you may not know, but your guide saved you from something. I was like, holy shit, So that's an interesting thing. She said, you'll see it at the end of your life when you do like your review. I was like, oh right, so this is stuff. I'm like, even more out there for me. I was like, that's amazing. But the but that was a huge turning point for me. It was a turning point for me. I had this this this psychic reading that someone had given me. It was on a cassette tape because this is two thousand and five, and I was sitting in my car and I had it on repeat and I would just replay this cassette tape over and over like rewind with play, rewind play, and it was this voice of this woman and she said, you're struggling with drugs and alcohol. And I could hear my voice quivering, and I was like, it's not that bad, It's just not that bad. And she said, you have two choices in this lifetime. You can stay on this destructive path then you could it could be really bad, or you can get clean and make a major impact on the world. And it makes me very emotional just to say that to you guys. And it was maybe a month later that I was just on my knees in my studio apartment, just praying for a miracle and actually heard an inner voice say, get sober and you will live a life beyond your wildest dreams. And it's almost twenty years now that we're here.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 3: And that was the catalyst for me to say to say a wholehearted hell yes to my spiritual path, a hell yes to my purpose, which was to be a rock and tour for miracles and for transformation and for healing. And it was and it was a huge turning point in my life. I feel right now at this twenty year mark of my sobriety. I'm actually at another turning point where I don't even get believe that the message I'm here to carry has even begun. I don't even believe it's begune. I think that I'm seeing down this barrel almost of just just some tough stuff coming to us. And I know that these kinds of conversations are going to be the most important conversations that the world has right now. So God bless you both for doing this, and I just hear it so loud, so I feel that this twenty year mark is just another turning point to say, let's get to work, let's carry this message gets empower people to heal themselves so that they can be there for the others, because we're all going to need that help.
Speaker 2: Do you ever feel pressure in your purpose because this has blown up in a way that maybe, yes, you imagine and you say, we're just getting started by scratching the surface. But to hear, folks, I'm sure you hear it all the time, like Robot talking about how much you have changed lives, you literally have with what you've done. But I know, I know you're overjoyed to be able to do it, and I know, you feel some responsibility, but that purpose does pressure come with it? Now that there's so many people who in a way depend on you.
Speaker 3: Right now, I feel an urgency. I don't know that it's pressure, but an urgency that I have to to to soften at times because I don't want it to get in the way. But it is a spiritual urgency of like it's a psychic urgency of like gotta get we gotta get carry the message we got to you know. So so I'm showing up in this you know, show me what to do, and I'm coming here and I'm doing these these interviews or whatever it is. But I am feeling a sense of urgency to make sure that that this message, that these messages are widely spread in a way. Whether it's me or somebody else, I don't care. There's beautiful teachers out there. But no matter what, the teaching has to be real. It has to be authentic. It has to be backed with truth. It can't be some TikTok viral moment. Those are fun, but the the and that may be a way you get through to somebody, but the but but behind it has to be truth. And I just I just feel the urgency A little bit right now, a lot right now.
Speaker 1: I I love so many of your quotes, as I pointed out, but this one really speaks to me. The very second we choose a loving thought, our emotion shift and our energy changes. This is realignment with the universe.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, yes, nailed it. You just nailed it with my quote. But the point is that's that's it.
Speaker 1: It only like I say, only it's hard to do in the moment, but when you're in this place, if you just choose a loving thought, everything changes in your mind, in your body, in your energy, and it really just takes that decision.
Speaker 3: It's a choice. That's why I always say, you know, your happiness is a choice that you make, and people be like, you know, screw you, that's that's too easy, and it's not. It's it's am I gonna choose? And it doesn't have to be like you're going from I'm in despair to I'm the happiest person in the world. It's reaching for the next best feeling emotions. So I'm in despair, and it's it's a simple thought of you know, I'm gonna say a prayer right now, I'm gonna I'm gonna set an intention to seek support. I'm going to place my hand on my heart and say I love you. I'm going to look in the mirror and say I need help. Those are loving thoughts. The miracle is the shift in our perception, and that shift is going from a fear based worldview to a spirit based view that's aligned with spiritual connection, with universal love with God, whatever you choose to believe in.
Speaker 2: Can I ask prayer? People hear that and say, well, that's reserved for religious folks who are going to church and they pray to God and they're usually praying for something. Can you expound a little bit about prayer and what do you mean by it?
Speaker 3: Yeah, and it's really beautiful because oftentimes I might not even say the word prayer unless I'm in with people like you who can hear it. But I'd like to expand the spiritual lexicon because i think it's helpful for folks. Right, So maybe you could say intention, or you could say just you know, shift your thought or give it over rather than hold on so tightly the word. Another nice thing, too, is my work's totally non denominational. You know, I'm a nonpracticing Jewish. Well, I'm a Jewish, but I'm not religious, and I don't identify specifically with religion so much unless and I love religion for folks if it guides them towards spirit, if it guides them to a spiritual relationship, to community, to love. Anything other than that, I don't. I mean, that's just fear right. And so when it comes for me to talking about prayer, I'd love to just offer it up as a moment to shift your thinking, an opportunity to give over to a higher power of your own understanding. And if the word prayer is too much for somebody, just set an intention to say, I choose to see this differently. I choose to see this through the lens of love. I choose to see a possibility instead of an obstacle. Just choose to creative, creative possibilities. You know, people that are broke. It's like, I welcome creative possibilities for abundance. And just repeat that and repeat that. And affirmation is a prayer, and you talk about affirmations.
Speaker 1: You wake up every day, can you walk us through You wake up, you meditate.
Speaker 3: What's the first thing you do? Yeah, So I do my daily design method every morning which is kind of like a combination of meditation, prayer and affirmation. And so I close my eyes, I placed my hand on my heart, and I ask myself for questions. And the first question is who do I want to be today? The second question is how do I want to feel today? Then what do I want to give today? And what do I want to receive today? And asking myself those four questions just sets me up, just sets me up for success because it's putting me from the moment that I opened my eyes into a point of a alignment with who I want to be and how I want to show up, alignment with what I want to receive, alignment with what I want to give, alignment with how I want to feel. And it's very different than the typical ways that we would wake up. It's like turn to the phone and look at the news and rush to out the door, look at the to do list. And that's not how we want to feel or who we want to be, or what we want to give or what we want to receive.
Speaker 2: Is that really first thing opening up before you even get out of bed, Yeah, kind of a thing. I'm just curious about the routine.
Speaker 1: Can you can you say those. Yeah, I just got chilled. I get chills a lot. But when it speaks to me, when it resonates with me, can you repeat those four questions because I really want to start doing that.
Speaker 2: Who do I want to be today?
Speaker 3: I think I want to be today. How do I want to feel today?
Speaker 2: What do I want to give? And what do I want to receive? That's right, I actually I am taking notes.
Speaker 1: It's amazing because even this morning.
Speaker 3: Wait, when we kissed and.
Speaker 1: We get up at three o'clock in the morning, I think we kissed when I was saying goodbye for a quick moment. You said, it's been eight hours and we have been working next to each other for eight hours, and it is the first time that we have hugged or kissed all morning long.
Speaker 3: Because you get so wrapped up in what you have to do.
Speaker 1: Our work right now has just taken over and it's been it's it's been a blessing because we have been building something.
Speaker 3: Can I tell you something because I'm hearing something for both of you. Do you want to hear it? Yes, there's something really big coming for the two of you.
Speaker 2: We've been hearing that a lot.
Speaker 3: King something that is there I have to tell you this, like there's something huge coming for the two of you, and there's something really beautiful about the love between you and the work that you do, and it's going to be very very meaningful. It already is, it already is, but there's like another up leveling of it all. It's really loud for me and watching the two of you even just like the connection and when when TJ was checking in and you were just put your hand on him, It's like that coregulation between the two of you is extraordinary. It's really beautiful, I think is what the world really needs to see too.
Speaker 1: Thank you. I mean, it's been, it's been. It's been built slowly through friendship and you know, trust is a huge thing, right and it's something that most people don't have because we're trying to protect ourselves and we still have to work on that constantly.
Speaker 3: Always relationships. Never never stop the work.
Speaker 1: And I was actually, I know we're running out of time, but gosh, I could I could talk to you for hours.
Speaker 3: I'll come back. I love you, guys, I do, I do.
Speaker 1: I do appreciate this. I'm curious when you're when you're taking in all of these practices and you're working on yourself, how does that self love improve the love you have with your significant other or with that most important relationship in your life?
Speaker 3: Massively? Massively? Uh. My husband sent me this video when I was in Australia last week. I got I was like up in you know, up in the middle of that night because I was at jet lagged, and he sends me this Wayne DIYer video. And if those of you got listening, Waye Die was an extraordinary spiritual teacher, really the godfather of manifesting, and he was my guide and still is as a spirit. And Wayne's holding this orange and he's talking to an audience. He's holding this orange, and he's saying, you know, if I squeeze this orange, what's going to come out? And everyone's like, it's an orange juice. He's like, no matter how hard I squeeze this orange, apple juice is not coming out. It's just gonna be orange juice because that's what's inside. And he says, let me extend the metaphor, if I squeeze you and you get squeezed, what's going to come out? And he says, well, it depends on you know, if somebody squeezes you with aggression or or if they're judgmental, or if they're blaming or shaming, all kinds of things are going to come out. You're going to have anger and rage and protection and fierceness and shut down. And he says, why is that coming out. It's because it's what's inside. And he goes on to say that it's not about what someone does to you, it's about what's inside of you. And so if you're doing the self help work, if you're healing the parts inside of you, you can stop blaming the outside world. You can stop being the victim of the world you see, and you can recognize no matter what happens outside of me, I can be safe inside. And so that's that shift lets everybody else in your life off the hook. It creates more safety in your relationships, less reactivity, especially in marriages. You know so much. So much of the time, I'll be like, well, it's the way you're saying it that's triggering me. It's like, okay, yeah, sure, maybe you could say it nicer, but that's triggering something inside me. And so if I heal what's inside of me, it doesn't matter how you say it. I can look at you and I can say bro, say it in a nicer way, you know, but it's not going to be Why are you talking to me like that? Right? That's the shift, that's wild.
Speaker 2: Okay, I'm gonna have to pay you for this session. I would feel bad.
Speaker 3: Just just just just just do the work and spread the love. That's how you can repay me.
Speaker 2: We've been talking about this last thing from me about checking in and checking out with yourself. I am aside from that checking out, how do you, Gabby Bernstein check out? Like so much is coming at you, talking about urgency to help and all these things. You do constant work and you're constant thinking. When you just want to watch like I don't know, ninety day Fiance, When you want to watch Stephen, Colbert, Colbert, that's your check.
Speaker 3: Colbert is my check, Colbert, Seth Byers, Jimmy Kimmel. I'm really I go Colbert, Seth and then I go Kimmel and then I go Fallon. Yeah, it's like Seth. But but Colbert and Seth are my guys late Night coming. They're just my guys. Colbert, really, I mean, my my manifestations. My biggest dream is to be on Colbert. I just want to sit with him and having no it's my biggest dream. It's gonna happen, to happen. It's got how manifesting that right now, so manifesting that right now. I love that guy. I just I think he is the most extraordinary human I do believe. And he's also a very spiritual man, very religious man. I love him.
Speaker 2: I really love That's late night TV. That's all you get. That's all.
Speaker 3: I don't drink, I don't eat sugar, I don't watch housewives. I just I just I like Colbert. It's my thing. Colbert.
Speaker 2: Okay, jet lag middle of the night. I'll need to put something on TV. Cobert. Okay, I swear two in the morning. Cobert is not on live YouTube.
Speaker 3: I watched them on YouTube. Okay, I don't watch anything live. I watched it all.
Speaker 1: Oh oh, I got h Gabby. Honestly again, I cannot thank you enough. I knew this was going to be special. I was so excited about it, but it was even more special than I could have imagined. Because you are you, and you are living what you're preaching, and I appreciate it.
Speaker 3: I know TJ does too.
Speaker 1: I've never seen him take so many notes, by the way, but I.
Speaker 2: Usually Gabby at the end of these take my papers and I put them in the trash. This is in my pocket, Yeah, because I took notes that I need. Really, that's the truth.
Speaker 3: I send you dead books here. I can't wait, you know, I guise my app. Also, I can't be coaching app.
Speaker 1: And I do love I Just to anyone who's now interested who hasn't read Gabby's books, it's great to read them in paperback, but I am just such a huge fan of listening to them because Gabby reads all of she narrates all of her books, so you're actually it feels like Gabby is your own personal guru guiding you through.
Speaker 3: That's why I gotta give you the Iby coaching app. Because I'll give it to you. Guys. It's it's like having me as your spiritual coach in your pocket. But there's like the unit trust, the Universe challenge, the manifesting challenge, it's all in. They'm gonna give it to you now.
Speaker 2: Oh I don't need that. You remember you said you're going to give us your numbers were literally.
Speaker 1: Gabby Bernstein, thank you so much. For being with us, and you've got to come back.
Speaker 3: I definitely will come back, of course,