Speaker 1: Well night went on at Boston. The Oriols got some offense going against Peyton Totley and they were right there to put an end to the Red Sox long winning streak, but in the end, four errors was too many to overcome and the Ools lost the series opener at Fenway Park Monday night, six to five. Welcome in to the latest Sperdland Territory with Steve, tim and Brad taping the morning after Game one at Boston. So gentlemen, that was disappointing. On defense, the Orioles had been making some progress and it really took a major step back a terrible time to have a terrible game with the Gloves, but that's what they faced. To their credit, they all most still pulled that game out. And if Tyler O'Neal hits that ball at the end of the game two feet higher, maybe they do. And so I give them credit for that, and now we see how the rest of the series plays out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, definitely, I think it's disappointing, like you said, Steve, just because they've been playing such good defense recently to kind of have a revert back to the problems that were coming earlier in this season. In this kind of environment, this kind of spot is obviously disappointing, but I just like their fight. I think, you know, it's kind of one of those things they've been doing all year long. And for me, just kind of watching that game last night, I thought it was a really entertaining All East game like that. That was games I remember when I was playing, and it was a fun environment to be a part of and watch on the screen. I can't only imagine how it was in the ballpark, but I would have liked to have seen them come out on top. But it's just kind of one of those things where they they shot themselves in the foot and just kind of you can't really overcome those when you're playing a team that's on a roll like the Red Sox at Elmway Park and in a division game like that, it's really tough to overcome. And they just unfortunately weren't able to get over the hump last night, even though they were really close.
Speaker 3: Yeah, just a really frustrating game, and it wasn't play atmosphere, man like. That was their biggest regular season series that they've had in at least two years, going back to their last postseason series, and sold out crowd, and it's kind of funny.
Speaker 4: I'm watching the game.
Speaker 3: And I'm thinking heading in that this lineup is obviously shorthanded, no Adlee, no Samuel Bisio, and you see it and you're thinking, oh, geez, runs might be tough to come by. And you look at the final box score they strike out fifteen times, which ordinarily you'd be like, oh my gosh, that's horrific. But I felt like it was a pretty gutsy offensive performance given the circumstances. They out hit the Red Sox had eleven hits. They were four for eleven with runners in scoring position. But ultimately, guys, you're facing the hottest team in baseball, they're on the really long winning streak, and it can't make four errors. And Gunnar Henderson there was also the contrarist liner, which you know he would say that he would should make that play and he missed time the jump, it wasn't rule an error. And just other self inflicted mistakes. Pete Alonso trying to steal a bag when Gunner Henderson was two for two with two doubles in the fifth inning. That didn't make much sense to me. Just too many self inflicted mistakes to overcome.
Speaker 1: It was disappointing the throwing last night throughout the game for the Oriols. You can start with the Jeremiah Jackson playing the third inning. He looked like he had more time than he thought he could have set himself a little bit rather than on the move throw that he came up short on. And even on the other end of that, Pete scoops that a lot of the time, but he just didn't in that specific instance. Led the two runs. Gunners throw home terrible way off the mars grows from the outfield, way off the mark. I'm not sure if that was just an outlier. We've seen the Oarls make bad throws throughout the year, but never this many in one night, and so just a bad night for it. And it's one of those games. I guess, Brad, it's a flush game. You take the good from it, and I don't know that they can go out on the field today and do defensive work that'll fix all this. But they just have to make better throws tonight.
Speaker 2: Yeah, definitely, I think it's just one of those games. You just move on. They're still playing hot, they're still playing well. They put themselves in a position to win. Like you said, a couple of feet above higher hit by Tyler O'Neil there in the ninth and they take the lead. So it's kind of one of those games. You just got a flush to go back out there today and get back on another winning streak. That's all you can really do. And I think two factors kind of play into maybe the throwing being off. Fenoway Park is a weird park with the way the dimensions are super short and left field obviously with the Monster, and then in right field there's so much territory there to cover for the outfielders that I think it might just throw you off a little bit, especially when you're not playing there as many times as they used to in the Division. When you go to a ballpark like that, it's just kind of things that are a little bit off. And then the other side of that is the lineups. With the injuries, We've had so many different guys playing different positions in Carnacion last night, there's just guys playing that haven't played together a ton, and that could just be that's just something that I'm kind of throwing out there as could be part of the problems with some of the relay throws were a little bit off, and some of the air and throws that happened maybe could just be, you know, just having different lineups out there constantly on a day to day basis.
Speaker 3: It certainly plays a factor. But I think unfortunately for this team, it's just been a season long issue defensively, and it reared its ugly head at the worst time yesterday, guys, because if you want to look at the glass half full of last night, and Brad you've been saying it, you had four errors gunners play could have easily been a fifth error.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you.
Speaker 4: Were still as close to winning that game.
Speaker 3: If you cut those mistakes, those defensive mistakes in half, you probably win by multiple runs, guys. And going up against that team so undermanned with your offense and so many guys beat up and out of the lineup right now, it was a gutsy fight. But unfortunately for this team, when you're this deep into the season, the moral victories, it's hard to take a ton in that.
Speaker 1: We're gonna get into some of the injury situations with the catchers. I got an interesting farm note I want to throw in Toyler O'Neal's swinging it better. We're gonna be touching on that and a lot more're coming up on Birdland Territory, but right now, time to remind you to shop the twenty twenty six All Star collection now at the new look Foul Territory Shop dot com. Scan the QR code you see on the screen to learn more. That collection features every All Star, including the Ozadli Rutchman, and you can keep an eye out for more officially licensed skier throughout the rest of this season from the voul Territory Shop dot com. Hope you check that out. The Red Sox man with another win. That's fourteen straight by eighty two twenty nine score. They're pitching so well. Few games this year where they've given up during this win streak five or more. Last night was one, but they've now won nine straight al Ease games as well. We'll get into some other topics with the o's in the Red Sox coming up on Birdland Territory.
Speaker 5: What if you can actually have it all? And I'm talking about Mintmobile taking the premium wireless bouginess crafts but then bringing it to the transparency in pricing and the affordability in pricing.
Speaker 2: They're going to lay everything out there with a cheap bill that you know what everybody can handle right now.
Speaker 5: You can even bring your current phone and your number. If you're thinking about it and you're like, I'm worried about that, No worries. They have you covered because they're able to convert people all the time to the Mintmobile way. Go to mintmobile dot com slash territory. That's mintmobile dot com slash Territory. Cut your wireless bill of fifteen bucks a month at mintmobile dot com slash Territory.
Speaker 4: That's it.
Speaker 5: There's no catch upfront payment of forty five dollars for three months, ninety dollars for six months, or one hundred and eighty dollars for twelve month. Plan required fifteen dollars per month equivalent taxes and fees extra initial plan term only greater than fifty gigabytes, may slow when network is busy. Includes up to twenty gigabyte hotspot capable device required, Availability, speed and coverage varies. Cementmobile dot com Bertland Territory for you today.
Speaker 1: Talking about game one of the series, Joe's losing Boston six to five. So the Red Sox are fifty one and forty eight and the ools are forty nine and fifty two. Maybe lost in the game a little bit is that Gunner had those three doubles. I think all three were off lefties at all opo. We keep saying, when is he going to have a turnaround, And maybe this was a game that showed something we said going into it. If Pete and Gunner went six for twelve in Fenway, I bet this will look really good for the Oriols. Maybe Gunner is on his way to doing that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think so. I think that's what he needed to kind of get back to doing, was using all fields. I think he was getting really pull happy. And when you're not able to get to the fastball like he's been struggling on the inside part of the plate, especially with some higher velocity, it just makes hitting really difficult. But if he's able to use all the field like he was last night, that was a great example going the other way, especially against lefties, you start to somehow get your hands into a better position. I wish I knew more about the mechanics of it all, but somehow, when you're able to keep the barrel in his own longer and hit the ball the other way, also in that inside pitch becomes a little bit easier to hit, and when the pitchers started making mistakes where they're not throwing it on the corner but they're leaving it middle in, maybe he's going to start turning on that ball. And that's really what the Oils would need. I mean, a hot streak from Gunner would go really, really long way right now, and hopefully last night was the beginning of something that he gets going on a roll here.
Speaker 4: He was able to set the tone in this game.
Speaker 3: He got that double in the first inning with two outs and then Tyler O'Neal, both of them going opo Gunner and O'Neill in that instance. But also, Guys, I felt like in the ninth inning him getting that double off the Green Monster, I thought that that was huge for him because unfortunately for Gunner, and this is not indicative of his ca he's come up big and big time spots so often, but this season it hasn't been nearly as much. And ordinarily you would think maybe that would score Colden Kowser. It hit off the wall and then Durant had to play it off a soft top and then he went right to second base to try to get Gunner, but Buck Britton ended up giving Colden Kowser the stop sign there at third base. But I think it's big. I think it's massive. And this Red Sox team, what is their strength. It is their pitching. And in this thirteen game winning streak heading into last night, they've only allowed three teams three times in the thirteen games teams to score over two runs against them, and the Orioles scored five. So you take your chances, giving what they're the role that they've been.
Speaker 1: On, Brad, you are ahead of the curve here. Noticing early in the year Gunner was struggling on the inside fastballs, and I'm wondering, this guy's hit premium fastballs before, had a very good clip. What would make this year be different in that respect? Is there any rhyme or reason to it.
Speaker 2: There's probably not a real big rhyme or reason. I just think it could just be overall struggles for the year. It could be confidence. It could just be maybe a mechanical change that he did a little bit this offseason to try to get the balls out over the plate more and now he's struggling to do his strength. I wish I knew why, like seasons were so different when it comes to hitting certain pitches, or even for pitchers when throwing certain pitches. It just kind of is an ebb and flow of a season. And I just kind of hope that seeing these balls out over the plate, he starts getting challenged more inside and somehow is just able to get to that pitch more and then he's able to do damage all over the field because he doesn't have to be a pull side hitter to do damage and to hit extra base hits. And I think that's one of the things where when you're playing at Candy Yards, you have that kind of short portion and right with the flag poles, you kind of can get pull happy. But he doesn't have to be that kind of hitter. He knows he doesn't have to be that kind of hitter. And I just think last night is just kind of a confidence booster that, hey, maybe I am the hair that I know I can be, and you just never know what kind of hot streak a player like Gunner can go on when he starts hitting pitches that he knows he can handle. And I just hold last night was kind of just the first game of twenty game Monster streak for him, because, like we said, he can carry this offense for weeks at a time if he gets hopped.
Speaker 3: And unfortunately, the pressure just continues to ratchet up for Gunner Henderson, for Pete Alonso, really all of their top players. We were saying this even before the injuries Steve where they need Gunner Henderson to be Gunner Henderson to get back into the playoffs. And look, the pitching has been fantastic, and we've talked about that repeatedly, but this offense is gonna have to really step up their game for them to really go on a run here to get that final wildcard spot.
Speaker 1: Let's show a stat on the pitching, which is quite remarkable. The Oriels put this in their Game No. Yesterday. In the first fifty one games, their team ERA four to ninety five was second worst in Major League Baseball. In the next forty nine games, very similar sample, it was third best in Major League Baseball, second worst to third best. Essentially fifty games each fifty one to forty nine here to get to the one hundred game mark. So bodes well for the remaining fifty if they can be more like the second group of fifty and I'm not sure what changed that. I don't guys, got I really don't know. I don't know how to explain that. But I know third best is a lot better than second worst.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and Steve, I don't think a lot did change. I just think when I think of Brandy Young, I think of Shane Shane Boss just getting ahead in the count, Brandy Young using his fastball more effectively and locating better. Trevor Rodgers is just locating better. This stuff hasn't changed from what I've seen from the five starters. It just gets ahead, and it's throwing, like I said, throwing strike one and then just getting confidence in their top pitches and really riding those pitches. And I think that's really been the biggest difference last night. Shane does really deserved better. Like his box his box score doesn't isn't the sexiest box score, but no walks. He was ahead of everybody. He showed a ninety nine mile on our fastball there in one of his last innings, and it just seems like he's getting stronger and stronger as the season goes along. Last night, if the game didn't dictate by the score, he could easily went into the seventh, maybe even touch the eighth inning with where his pitch his pitch count was, and I just think he's just getting stronger and stronger. And we've talked about this before, but coming off his injuries and everything, he doesn't have a ton of starts in his major league career, and I think this is one of those seasons where he's really starting to feel what works for him and why he's able to go deeper in games. And the starting staff has really just deserved so much credit of really turning the season around because they've been so consistent and now we just need the offense to kind of just catch up to them. You just never know what this team could do.
Speaker 3: The starters certainly deserve so much love, and no one's turned their season around more than Trevor Rodgers, for example, because he's been unbelievable in this last seven or eight start stretch. But Brad, I want to get your thoughts on the bullpen man. I continue to just be amazed when you look back at their numbers, and I always go back to the May twenty second date because that was the low point of the year. They just got swept at the trop Since that point, the Orioles starting pitching era is six best in baseball. They have the six best bullpen era in baseball in that spam, Brad. But then I was thinking, okay, was it just more so in May the month? So then I went to June twentieth and did a one month sample size. Yesterday the Oriols bullpen was even better. They had the second best bullpen era over the past month. It's been spectacular, and when you consider the fact that Ryan Elsley has not pitched much at all in that stretching. Quite frankly, it was right when he came off the il stint in the handful of appearances and he was shaky early on.
Speaker 4: Just how impressed have you been with this bullpen? Brad?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I've been super impressed. And you know what it is, it's a lot of guys that you would not expect to have the type of years that they're having. And that's to me, those were always the best bullpens to be a part of. It's not the top name guys where you have the big closer, you have the big setup man. It was kind of just everybody finding their slot and doing their job and just passing the baton on and it's funny you say those numbers because it's kind of like it been a quiet resurgence, because it really they hit a little bit of a lull there and made twenty second like you said, and then from there it's just stacking up zeros and guys just moving the baton along, like I said. And it's been different guys closing games, have been different guys setting up games, and I didn't think they've just done a better job of finding more comfortable spots for the guys and getting them in there and so they can have their most success. And that was one of the things when I was with Buck. He just found a way to put you in a spot to give you the most success. And it sounds like a simple thing, like, oh, all managers should do that, but it's a really difficult thing to do over a two to three six month stretch of a season to find a perfect spot to put guys in. And I really think Craig Albernas and Drew French have really done a better job of just finding the right slot to put guys in and they've really stuck to it. I mean, Wolfram is in there when there's more lefties and righties Garcia has kind of slid into the seventh eighth inniyear old Kitchrid which has really done eighth ninth. I mean, he's been one of their bigger arms here recently. So they've just done a really good job of finding the spots to make these guys comfortable. And they're just really all just doing their job when they need to and just kind of doing it quietly. And it's been really impressive to watch.
Speaker 1: Quite a pitching matchup on Tuesday night in Boston Kyle Bradish, armed with his new contract and Ranger Suarez. He got his money over the winner, one hundred and thirty million from the Red Sox. I was a pitcher. A lot of us thought the Orioles should make a big play for they didn't. Boston got him Rangers Suarez and Bradish on Tuesday night in Boston. Time now for our Daily Dinger is presented by fan Duel, and this is where we kind of nominate an oil player to hit a home run. You can play that through FanDuel. I think Tyler O'Neal is not a bad pick right now. We would have said that a couple of weeks ago. Certainly not a couple of months ago. Listen to this stunning stat. In April and May, he was OH for thirty four against left handed pitching a donut. Now since late May, his OPS is one point ninety seven. That is unbelievable. OH for thirty four ten ninety seven. He's also an eight thirty six career OPS at Fenway Park, where he's got seventeen homers in sixty career games. And oh, by the way, his July OPS overall against all pitching is twelve sixty. Come out of nowhere to have a good game last night again, and you can't take him out now obviously with the left do we know he'll be in there tonight, whether it's right field, DH whatever. It's been fun to see and it's sort of this one sort of did come out of nowhere with Tyler O'Neil.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And so I love seeing guys that you know, get off to a really bad start, a guy that got a contract from the Warriors was expected to crush lefty pitching and just really struggled early on. But he's kind of stuck with this process. He's he's been working. You could tell he's been working behind the scenes, and all the coaching staff has talked about it multiple times that he continues to put his work in and it's paying off. And I think his uh one of his biggest contributions has been his outfield defense and right field too. He's made some unbelievable plays out there, and it's kind of all coincided together. A lot of times. You see that with players that kind of get struggle sometimes the defense or you know, a good base running player, something will kind of trigger everything else, and that's kind of what I've seen happen. He's made a couple of really nice plays in right field and now the bat's starting to come and he's been crushing lefty pitching. So I think it's a really good play for tonight. He's comfortable at Fenway Park. He's played with the Red Sox before, so that short porch and left field against the lefty Tyler O'Neil is a really good pick.
Speaker 4: Stee.
Speaker 3: If you've given those numbers man captain obvious calling right now that that's not a winning ball player. But when you look over this stretch, Tyler O'Neill has helped them win ball games. And you can go back over his last twenty two games. At this point this is against righty's end lefties. It's got a nine to thirty two OPS, six doubles, four home runs in his last twenty two games played. But Brad, I'm glad you pointed out the defense man. How many diving catches have we seen from Tyler O'Neill over the past couple of weeks. Obviously, the fantastic throw home to get the runner in Houston, Samuel Visio with a great tag, but the very next inning he beat out an infield single on that where Jose Altuve ended up fielding that ball. And last night, you know, driving in Gunner Henderson to start that game in the first inning, and gosh, he was this close away from being the hero, driving in two runs in the ninth inning to give the Orioles the lead. He's a confident ballplayer right now, and you couldn't say that earlier on in the season.
Speaker 4: And I'm with you, Steve.
Speaker 3: You got a lefty today, you got another lefty tomorrow.
Speaker 4: He's gonna be He should be in the starting lineup the rest of this series.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no doubt. And that the ball he hit off Chapman, by the way, was his fastest pitch of the inning. Was the last one, and he squared it up. He just almost got just enough to be a difference maker. So we pick Toaler O'Neal for Daily Dingers presented by Fandel. Head over to fandel dot com slash podcast to op in for Daily Dingers and make your free pick on who's hitting a homer, playball and swing for the fences on Fandel. They're an official partner of Major League Baseball. Catch your injuries for the Orioles man piling up here. Adlie went to the i L with left wrist inflammation on Monday and visioh is day to day with right shoulder discomfort. Sam Huff has been catching Chadwick Trump was called up Monday. Huff and Trump seemed to be the two healthiest catchers at the moment. Brad, My question to you as a pitcher is these guys obviously are not regulars with the Orioles. What's it like working with a catcher who's just thrown into things like Sam Huff in recent days.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's you just got to be confidenting yourself. You gotta you gotta have the extra conversations with these guys. Obviously, Sam Huff is is a really good catcher. That's why he's there. He's not there, he's you know, he's gonna pop a home run every once in a while, but he's he's there for his defense and he knows how to call a game. So that's that gives confidence to the pictures. They've worked with him a little bit. Chawick. Trump just came over. I think he knows a couple of these guys. I actually threw to him in my last year in Triple A with the Braves. H great guy, great guy to be around, and but you just got to go out out of your way and have more conversation with them. And when it comes down to it, they're just kind of giving you suggestions. You have to be more confident in your game plan then really kind of going off with the catcher's giving you. So it's just one of those things where you just have to be more cognizant of if there's a certain pitch you want to throw, you got to throw it. Because these guys haven't been around all year, they haven't been around the last couple of weeks. Maybe one of your pitch is working better, Maybe you're working differently than what you did last time. You saw these guys. So it's really just about going out there and being confident in yourself, and if you have to use the pitch on yourself, you have to be the one going to your belt, going to your glove, wherever your thing is, kind of being the one setting the tone of what pitches you want to throw. They'll give their suggestions. They have everything that you know on the wristbands and they know where to go against certain hitters. But at the end of the day, you just have to go with what you trust and just be confident when they're back there, and then you'll get into a rhythm after an outing or two, and then you can kind of work with each other. But you just have to be real confident in yourself and go out there with your game plan and attack that way.
Speaker 3: Bret, going back to Sunday, I think, look, you got to Sam Huff. He got a credit, Brandon Young. But how difficult of a situation was that where Samuel Bisaillo started that game. You did not think Sam Huff was coming in, and lo and behold, sam Huff was inserted into that game in the second inning. How difficult is it to make that mid game change.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's got to be tough for a starter, especially because you have a full on game plan that they go after every hitter. They have meetings before the game, they have meetings before the series, so you kind of had this whole game plan going and then, like you said, in the second inning, Bam, it's flipped on its head. Obviously, Sam Huff was probably there to get a little bit of the background of what they were trying to do, but to be inserted in the second inning like that, that was really impressive for both brand and Young and Sam Huff to be putting that game in the second inning and to do what they did. So but I think it goes back to just being Brandy Young just being super confident right now. He knows what he wants to do, and like I said, it's just more of a him going to his belt saying what he wants to throw, and then in between innings you get a chance to kind of catch up see who's coming up in the lineup. But it's definitely not an easy thing. I think that's one of the things I was kind of overlooked on Sunday a little just a little bit there, because that is a difficult thing to be flown in from Norfolk to night before. Who knows how much sleep you got. You're kind of just thinking your emergency. You have Adley who wasn't put on the IL yet, but you know you might have to be put in the game, and for him to go in that game and really just call a great game was kudos to Hymn for Brandy Young to really just stick into the game plan.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Huff has done a nice job and a short amount of time for the Oriole has been credit to the ORG for finding him and keeping him around. And some of these guys get DFA, then they come back and they go to the miners and they come up. It's just it's just kind of crazy all the things they go through. But so you got to credit him for doing his job and doing it well for the Orioles. So last few nights we got a few more comments coming up on Birdland Territory.
Speaker 6: Big Bed Morning Show, Finny and Haney, Inside Access Live on YouTube week days six till six, Search Baltimore one O five seven the Fan, subscribe for Daily Short's right to your Phone and never missed which you missed?
Speaker 4: One O five seven the Fan.
Speaker 1: So during the winter, Boston signed Ranger Suarez, free agent who was with the Phillies previously five years, one hundred and thirty million. Because I'm weird with stats man, I happen to notice this. I don't know what makes me notice stuff like this. Ranger Suarez has thrown ninety one in the third innings this year. Brandon Young has thrown ninety one in the third innings this year, identical to the out Ranger Suarez, who's expected to be one of the best pitchers in the league as a three fifteen ERA and four wins. Brandon Young is a three twenty five ERA and eight wins. Rangers got more impressive walk rate strike out in a whip, but the Red Sox are nine to eight in his seventeen starts and the Oils are thirteen and three and Brandon's sixteen starts. So Brandon Young is making much less money than Ranger Suarez, obviously, but he's giving a similar performance, which no one would have expected that. And so to me, it's just crazy to look at the statue where you can compare. They've thrown the exact number of dnings, so you can do it straight across the board. Comparison and Ranger Suarez wins that comparison, but Brandon Young is in the ballpark. I just think that's pretty ch.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's to me baseball stats are are some of the craziest, wildest things. Ever, how you can have these comparisons, and it's that's what makes baseball so much fun. And I think with Brandy Young, I mean, he's just done such a good job of stepping up. If anybody in the organization would have thought this going into the season, I think you'd have to check them and see if they were all right, because I just don't I just don't think you could have. You could have been slated him for a certain expectation. But like you said, Steve, to compare to one hundred and thirty million dollars pitcher is kind of crazy, and it's been. It's been awesome to watch him pitch this year, and it just goes to show you just never know what can happen in a baseball season. There's still two months ago, so we'll see what happens at the end with their comparison SATs. But to hear those numbers together is pretty crazy, and it's awesome for Brandon Young.
Speaker 3: It's just been a season of these type of big surprises.
Speaker 4: And Steve, you're on my show with Ken yesterday.
Speaker 3: I thought you made a great point in saying all those Orioles teams back in the day like that that was the norm. You didn't know who was going to come through on any given day. And you just look at the numbers across the board. Look, Brandon Young is firmly entrenched in this starting rotation moving forward, but he was their number eight starter heading into the year. Jeremiah Jackson and Leodi Taveres, they have two of the top three batting averages with runners in scoring position on this team this season. You think a Cam Sanders who came up and got to win in a saving back to back days and Christian and Carnowci owned Strand had a homer yesterday at Femway Park. So there's been so many of these really cool stories on this year's club.
Speaker 1: I think you see any team that's doing well in baseball, you're going to see that. I'm looking at Boston's lineup. Who are some of these guys.
Speaker 2: Who is this.
Speaker 1: Guy pitching Wednesday night? I mean, who are these guys that are in brun shocks? Are bringing in bullpen guys throwing ninety nine you have hardly ever heard of, and so baseball, man, it's just it's the land of opportunity worldwide really, not just the United States obviously, and that's kind of been a thing to him over the years. That was a I think when I was a kid in my teens, we took pride in the fact that we're gonna beat your team with guys you've never even heard of. Kiko Garcia is going to get a two run double tonight to beat the Yankees, and oriol fans are going to revel in that. And so I think we do now when we see Rico Garcia do what he did earlier and some of that, and Brad you remark, now, that's one of the coolest things you enjoyed as a player, seeing these guys that came out of nowhere, and maybe you were sort of one once yourself, are expecting you to do what you did for the Orioles back in the day, and you did it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And it's just all about getting opportunities to run with it. It's like when it comes to being a player, you just you never know when your opportunity is gonna come. It could be the beginning of your career. It could be the middle, it could be towards the end, and whenever that opportunity comes, you just got to make the most of it. It might not be this long, eight, ten, eleven, fifteen year career, but it could be a three year stretch where you're a main player for a team and guys come out of nowhere and off the top of my head right now, it's I'm struggling thinking the names, but.
Speaker 4: I know there was many. Steve Pierce is the biggest one. Yeah, exactly World Series big.
Speaker 2: Yeah name that year Chris Davis goes out and Steve Pierce is our starting first basement of the playoffs and he's one of our best players during that. It's just I love those kinds of teams. Being part of them is awesome because everybody really feels like they have a piece. When you're on some teams where it's three superstars kind of doing everything and everyone else is just really under the radar, it's just kind of the dynamic is just different than when you're on a team that really feels like everybody's together, everyone's got to shot, and that's really how this team feels. There's I mean, this depth that they're showing now is just I mean, it's unprecedented how many guys have had to come up and not just play a role, but be starters and really contribute for this team. And they've all really stepped up in one way or another, whether it's been for a month, whether when it's been for six weeks, whether it's been for the whole season. At this point, it's been fun to see these guys all come in and step up and really keep this team afloat.
Speaker 1: At this point, well, it's gonna be fascinating to see where this series goes from here. Had the Orioles pull that out, we have been saying, unbelievable. They have made four errors. They won, and guys, they were that close to doing it, and I was expecting a Sam huff sack fly to be the difference. You know, in the ninth inning, he'd get up in a tie game, they need a fly ball, he gets it, they win seven to six. It didn't happen, So let's see what happens the rest of the way. And thanks for joining us today. Continue to subscribe to us on YouTube, follow us on the podcast outlets, and check out my Steve on baseball sub stack and we'll talk to you time on Birdland Territory.
Speaker 5: Twenty one plus select states for Kansas in affiliation with Kansas Star Casino eighteen plus DC, Kentucky, Wyoming.
Speaker 4: No purchase necessary, opt in required.
Speaker 2: Bonus issued is non withdrawable profit boost tokens.
Speaker 5: Restrictions apply, including any token expiration and max wager romounts. See terms at sportsbook dot FanDuel dot com. Gambling problem called one eight hundred Gambler call one eight hundred my reset one eight eight eight seven eight nine seven seven seven seven. Visit CCPG dot org, slash chat Connecticut, Visit MD Gamblinghelp dot org.
Speaker 2: Maryland visit Gambling Helpline MA dot org.
Speaker 5: Call eight hundred three two seven five zero five zero, Massachusetts call one eight seven seven eight Hope and y text hope and why New York Call one eight seven seven seven seven zero seven eight six seven Louisiana,