Speaker 1: Worrying. Today's episode contained spoilers for the.
Speaker 2: Finale, A finale when things happen.
Speaker 1: Oh god, Okay, no spoilers. Hello, it is Jason gets up and I'm Rosey. Night and welcome back to x Ravager of the podcast where we dive deep your favorite shows, movies, comics, and pop cun company fire our podcast. We're you three episodes a week.
Speaker 3: What News, And in today's episode, I'm communing with the z animorphs. Oh baby, as we recap the shocking finale of Alien season one.
Speaker 2: They are definitely getting a season two.
Speaker 1: It hasn't been an outs yet, but there's.
Speaker 3: No way you would end like this if you did not already season two. Then we will call in the scream queens, Common and Joel and they will help us analyze.
Speaker 1: Them like a pair of xenomorph Pokemons to save the day.
Speaker 3: Okay, I will say, well, I do have I am interested to talk to you guys about the animals because I actually did realize this episode that I think there is a narrative way for them to explain why.
Speaker 1: Yes, well, yes, we'll see it. We'll see yeah, Yeah, here we go. Let's go into it. Alien season where finale the real monsters. We open on the beach. Crabs are eating Arthur's hollowed out corpse that has now been dead for maybe just around twenty four hours. Xenomorph comes over to kind of check them out, has a brief confrontation with a crab, and then SLINKs back into the jungle to hunt. At the cemetery. Dame is outside for some reason and decides to put flowers on the children's graves. We see the children's real names, and as this is happening, the Xenomorph closes in on her, sneaks up on her, is about to hit her with the second mouth action, but then the search and Rescue team Siberian Rashidi come and they chase the alien away and save her life.
Speaker 3: Okay in the facility, yes, please, First issue with this finale.
Speaker 1: Did you think that.
Speaker 3: Joe's real surname was Hermit and that Marsi's name was also Hermit?
Speaker 1: I did not. I thought that was like a code name, a code name.
Speaker 3: Because he was an interior doctor in the Special Forces.
Speaker 2: You net and what?
Speaker 1: Sure?
Speaker 3: But no, his name is Joe Hermett and her name is Marty Hermett. Maybe they have very literal names in the future like they do in the past.
Speaker 1: Could be yes, I was. I was surprised by that reveal as well. We go inside the facility where Adam is giving us and Boy Genius the latest over like zoom. Here's what's happening on Prodigy Island. The island is completely cut off. The data cable undersetat data table has been cut, probably by Utani. They're the satellite connections are completely out. The evacuations of non essential personnel are currently underway. This table this for later, But it was surprising to me. Prodigy does not seem like the kind of company where they get the non important people off first.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, like non important people do you have on your top secret.
Speaker 1: Billionaire child Island?
Speaker 3: I feel like any important people the important people on the island, guys.
Speaker 1: The hybrids are currently imprisoned in a kind of like holding pen that Adam says won't hold them if they signed. They really want to get out, and the xenomorphs, both xenomorphs, baby Xenomorph and adult genom are just gone. They're running for you. The island, baby killing Prodigy patrols Willy Nilly cutting into pieces. Patrols are still going on but of course they're getting killed all the time by the alias. The rest of the creatures, the bugs, the weird plant, the eye all secure for now, but of course we're running out of staff to kind of do just like gosh, yeah, like do we trust them? Like no, well we know we shouldn't. And there's a lot to talk about there too, but yes, then you have Curs, who's an important resource for them. And Adam is like, well, shouldn't you think about evacuating as well, Boy Genius, mister Broygenius Keler. Boy Genius is listening to this while gazing at the sheep and watching replays of like all the synth experiments on like ten different screens, and he looks at the eye and says, you know, I wish I could hear your voice. And the sheep kind of like tips its head towards the guard like, yeah, put me in this guy? Yeah, go on. He's like, what about this guy over here? And boy Genius is like, you know what, he's too physically strong. I want to put you in someone weak, physically weak, just not to shoot a gun. Yeah, just in case it comes down to like me having a scrap with you. We go to the holding pen, where Wendy is still bothered about Joe's apparent betrayal. Curly is like, don't I shouldn't even be in here first of all, because I'm the favorite.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, babe, just like you are not Like this is like, really, I'm the favorite.
Speaker 1: I should say it.
Speaker 3: If you keep saying that, it's like you are definitely not the favorite, you know what I mean? Like, come on, NIBBs is like, maybe you're in here because you snitched on us, Like how do they find out him at us? Like Nick now coming up as one of my fabes. I'm not gonna lie. Nibs is actured. I'm a supporter of the attitude at this point.
Speaker 1: It's a lot like my dog Donna. When Donna either eats a bug or comes very close to catching a lizard or something, she NIBBs has killed a guy Torre's draw off, and now I think she's got that, like she's tasted blood, and she's always like she caught the squirrel. She's like, wait, you know what, I'm down for a fight with anybody.
Speaker 3: This is my personality now is I'm just good at fighting, and I support it.
Speaker 1: So the rest of the Sins are very upset at this idea that Curly may have snitched. And then Wendy chimes in, is like, you know what, they were dead, like they killed us all. You think you're alive, you think this is the best life you've ever lived. Your body is in a graveyard that we found. And by the way, Isaac is dead in his android body and his synth body. We thought that this would be some kind of forever after life. No, they just let him get melted and eaten by bugs, and he's dead. Smee and Slightly are upset about, you know, the death of Isaac, who's now died twice. Wendy points out that in the book I Eat Peter Pan ever heard of it? You might have? You might have had. Leny points out that in the book, actually I'm the favorite, and guess what happened to me? That's right, I get. I have to leave it because Peter gets mad at me. And by the way, then yeah, and by the way, we're all it currently in this holding pen right now. Because we're not kids, we're not humans. They won't let us be adults. We don't know what we are. The Nibs is like, we're like ghosts. That gives Wendy the idea that maybe we should go on the offensive. Boy Genius is watching them discuss all of this on his feed from his office. He realizes because he sees her lips moving a little bit, that Wendy is calling the alien. Then all his video feeds cut is very concerning curshes like down in the lab, and Cursh is like, I think we're fine, like gat Actually he's looking good cyborgs control. I don't know what you're seeing, and obviously everything pretty good. And then he tells boy Genius, why don't you be smart and not mad? And boy Genius is like, why don't you grow some fucking balls, some fucking webbo sala verga, you fucking los her, And Kursh then says, listen, with your severe case of ADHD, you need to just kind of calm yourself, turn off the screens, calm yourself, and like listen to a reason. Yeah, and just like chill out. Wendy then starts messing around with the video and audio connections. You know the way she does. She can control the the security system without even touching getting close to the screen. Now she's inside the pen and controlling it controlling a screen that is hacked into the system from across the room, and she causes his last video and audio connections to drop. Boy Genius then tells the guard go get Adam to restart the comps and confine me, and then says basically to the sheep like, I'm gonna feed you some I'm not gonna feed you this guy. I'm gonna feed you someone weak, Okay. And at this point I'm thinking maybe Adam. I know I was thinking that too. I will say atim, yes, But then we decide we kind of learned that Adam is a synth.
Speaker 3: No, this is a big I think a massive reveal is the implication that Atom maybe the first synth that Boy Genius have a built himself.
Speaker 1: This is all a mess, and let's and we'll unpack this when the group comes in, because I think there's a lot there. While this is a very interesting reveal, there's also like a lot of evidence that Adam is worried about himself in a way that a synth would not be, that a human would be. So it's very weird to me. Anyway, The search and rescue team returns with Dame. They are getting people together to evacuate the them off the island. Of course, Bory Genius is top of that listing.
Speaker 3: Hilarious, because uh, does that mean he's not important then, because I thought it was not important people first.
Speaker 1: So Wendy knows that they've picked him up and they've locked her back in her office, so she starts sending video clips to her office to play experience.
Speaker 3: Good wish that this show had committed to this idea of the kids almost being like ghosts in the system earlier on, because actually, like the way that Wendy is able to kind of haunt to Dame with these videos and these moments of vulnerability from the kids is like one of the better creepy things that they've introduced in the show.
Speaker 1: So she's sending Dame, you know, the original kind of like interview videos of the kids when they were kids, when they were still humans alive, and Dame can't turn off the videos and she crashes out in a different holding pen. Joe wakes up Morrow. They put a canister thing over more cyborg hands so he can't use the blade. He tells Joe, Listen, I'm not interested in the past. I want to figure out how we get passed, like, let's get out of here. I don't care about anything that happened yesterday, today, an hour ago. I'm moving on because I'm a survivor. And then he's like, what do you how's your lung feels crazy? Right to have to be more than a human, to be more than yourself. But isn't there always a price when a corporation gives you something? For us? That price is gonna be going to break ay for a word from our sponsors.
Speaker 2: Where we were at back after this, and we're back with new lungs, with.
Speaker 1: New lungs, I need them. So Search and Rescue continues to creep around the facility. They're bickering about what they're even doing here, about the tactics station use uh you know. Rishi is like, let's go get more guns from the armory. But then an elevator arrives without them calling it, and they don't even question it. They do question it a little bit.
Speaker 2: They're like, I don't know what arrows are, Like, did you call it?
Speaker 1: I'm like. They get on and the elevator goes a couple of floors and then goes into self instruct mode. Of course, Wendy is doing all of this is the other since to look on Smee then asks Wendy if she's mad at her brother, and she's like, yeah, because he chose the humans over me. And since means like, well, let that go, Like he doesn't know any better. He's one of us, you know, he'll help us. Don't don't, don't be like that, just let it go. And then Wendy remembers a letter she wrote Joe when she was still alive, and this kind of like cements it, like, Okay, I'm not going.
Speaker 3: To kill job.
Speaker 1: Wendy opened.
Speaker 3: I mean she was thinking about it. I definitely think so too. I think she was sick of his shit it he's annoying.
Speaker 1: Or at least leaving him to his fate. Certly, she has no qualms about like causing the deaths of his search and rescue buddies, who Joe was very close with up until it's probably still very close with honestly. Yeah. Wendy opens Morrow in Joe's pen, which they notice. Morrow takes out the guard and then tells Joe go save the kids because I'm going to burn this whole fucking place down.
Speaker 2: To the ground.
Speaker 1: Kursh is in the lab building, something building like little some kind of doing soldiering work on some electronic stuff.
Speaker 3: The door behind it own agenda, like he doesn't have anything going on anyone else on the stats with like he's just vibe.
Speaker 1: One of my big, big, big, big big issues with this episode is we never figure out what's happening with Kersh. They never tell us anyway, what's he on? What's the up to the door opens, someone's coming in. It's Morrow. They talk about, Well, they don't really they immediately get to it and start fighting and.
Speaker 3: They argue about like humans always it's basically like who is the who is the best model of of life?
Speaker 1: Like is it humans?
Speaker 4: Or it is?
Speaker 3: Because I'm also like Morrow, you're not just human, babe, but but most you say, you are like the highlight of this human serious acting.
Speaker 1: It's his human command and control, like he's got the human brain and it's really just like the limbs. Anyway, he does a crazy like.
Speaker 3: W W E backbreaker on across the across the lab table breaks Kirsch's back because she's like screaming out the white scynth milk blood, and that's how you know it's bad for a symthm the white milk blood.
Speaker 1: The white milk blood comes out, and Cush is about to get God is about to finish him off when the xenomorph young xenomorph baby Zeno worph comes out of its containment and distracts everybody, which gives Kersh the opportunity to like choke out Morrow and he passes out. When he calls the alien and it comes into the facility, big for reasons I don't understand that at all, comes to see the kids why in their holding pen why with one guard why, and opens the door to he doesn't open the door. Wey, yeah, But then he's like comes in and he's like, yeah, I'm gonna talk to you why this is.
Speaker 3: He's definitely not a genius, that's for sure.
Speaker 1: He then talks about his upbringing. He's like, I was a boy genius born to an alcoholic father at six years old. I was already had an adult genius's intellect. But nobody's gonna trust me to build a company, multi trillion dollar company on my own. So I killed my father, replaced him with a synth, and then used him as the figurehead to start the company. He then tries to explain that since you guys. You kids are just you're just like the floor models that we're gonna use to sell the product. Like, and you're fucking my ship up. You're fucking my ship up. Now just stop it. NIBBs then is like, I already killed it. I'll kill another guy right now. Yeah. So he's like, you think, guy fucking catches? I'm this guy did that crushes his face right in front of Boy Genius. Wendy is then like, what are you doing? You should run? Why are you like gonna stand here?
Speaker 2: We're gonna kill you.
Speaker 1: So Boy Genius runs away, and Wendy's like, let's play hide and seek. Smee and slightly go find cursing the cyborg curly, find the soldiers. I will find Boy Genius, and nobody killed Joe my brother. Everybody's like, great, this is gonna be fun. Sure Adam finds Joe in the facility and he's like, listen, I know there's a lot going on right now, but uh, Boig just wants to see you, and I think you're gonna love what he has to say.
Speaker 3: I got a real Toney, got something good. Toney got a good offer for you guys.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I know it seems like the whole place is falling apart, but like we want we're still doing deals, like there's still that level of eight deals. And by the way, Wendy is there, so you're gonna get to see her too. Meanwhile, like around the facility, everything is going to ship, like the alien's killing guys, nibs find Stame. It's just going bad, bad, bad bad bad.
Speaker 2: Nip such a good creepy smile when she finds Dame.
Speaker 3: I'm like, oh my god, it's like very very like yeah that shiit like Emily Rose, slash you, very creepy stuff.
Speaker 1: Cursh can't use his legs anymore, right, and Morrow is still unconscious, mean and slightly fine Kersh and Kersh is like, hey, grab this cable here and tie up Morrow before he wakes up. They're like, no, we're tiring you up. Yah, it's our time now. And Morrow wakes up and then it's just so slightly that listen, I didn't hurt your mom, by the way, she's fine slightly then bash him over the head with like a flower Potters.
Speaker 2: It's the thing that they put.
Speaker 1: They look like it is made of duct tape.
Speaker 2: Honestly, he's not gonna lie.
Speaker 1: Adam is saying to Joe, like, listen, you're gonna this is gonna be great. It's great for you. Just right here, here's the office. Go outside. Joe goes inside. There's no one in there, and the sheep pen is open, and then I is there in the sheep and the eye pops out of the sheep and is like, I'm coming for you. Joe crawls into the container very smart. But then the eye finds a way in through the little hay hamper, and so Joe goes out, and then by the he's a he's fighting now, struggling with the eyes. It tries to crawl into his head. Wendy comes and saves the day, but then Adam is about to stop them before they can kill the eye, and he is truly a sense we see this now because he easily throws Wendy like across the.
Speaker 3: Way, which I feel like incredibly powerful, seeing as the hybrids are supposed to be the most powerful. So maybe this is like a maybe you know, he took very uneven power. I was gonna say, well, we can talk about that when the screen Queen's coming, because I've got some questions.
Speaker 1: He's monologuing and stuff in villain style, and then Wendy is like Wendy by the way, listen, I just came off of the weekend watching Premier League football, including Arsenal's dramatic one to one draw with Manchester City, so I have to shout out Wendy's incredible kick of the Eye off the volley the Eye across the room and then uses powers which she discovers right this very moment to freeze Adam.
Speaker 3: Okay, So I will say something I did like that I thought was one of the bits of this finale that kind of lived up to some of what we did want to know.
Speaker 2: I did love seeing how.
Speaker 3: The Eye would fight like a human being, Like, it was so interesting to see it kind of gripping onto Joe's face, trying to find these places that it could stick to.
Speaker 2: We've only seen it kind of.
Speaker 3: You know, fight the either a very ill or dead person or a sheep.
Speaker 2: So I thought it was interesting.
Speaker 3: I thought they did a good job of making that kind of energetic. But yeah, I mean there's a lot of bozo behavior going on in this episode.
Speaker 1: Bozos. So Whendy gets Joe up just as Joe sees the eyeball like slithered down a little drain pipe.
Speaker 3: I know, I want to watch like I would watch like a whole if they did like an episode.
Speaker 1: Oh my god.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and also like where is our cleaner, like our walk cleaner?
Speaker 1: Now he's gone. He was he.
Speaker 3: Was important, and like I love that the eye is like it has such a character, like when it was just like Ellen, I'm just gonna slide.
Speaker 1: Down the stream bike. Joe then argue briefly argues with Wendy about the aliens and she's like, listen, I like them because they're honest, and she and He's like, but there were food to them. We are just like a warm husk for them to fertilize their embryos inside of. And Wendy's like, yeah, you are, just like I'm not sure what our relationship is. It's I'm hoping it's like again something like Pokemon but in the Durastic Wild franchise something like that. But we I need to figure that out, and I need to figure out a lot about who I am and all that stuff. But like you're the food, so that's your problem. Basically, she says, boy genius with a ballistic vest on. He puts on a bulletproofvestive if that's going to protect him from the aliens and all the other ships and give me He puts on the bullet provest Radio's is guards like, I'm heading to the chopper.
Speaker 3: Come meet me into the chopper, meaning I'll give you a million dollars if million dollars is not even worth any money, and then I'll get by a little bit more, mate.
Speaker 1: First guy to get me out of here gets a million. Meanwhile, the alien is of course hunting him. Joe and Wendy arrive on the scene just in time to see Boy Genius like scared stiff by the Xenomorph. She then orders his guards show up, and she orders, like a pokemon, the Xenomorph to kill the guards and it does it. And then Boy Genius is like, oh my god, thank god, you guys got the million. Thank you, because he thinks Wendy and Joe are there to stop him. But then Joe is like, no, it kicks him right in the face.
Speaker 2: Yeah, absolutely not happening for you, my guy.
Speaker 1: The search and rescue team find the lab with all the bugs in it, and it's bad. The plant is flying around now like.
Speaker 2: It's like a giant.
Speaker 3: It's I was gonna say, it's like it's it's like a flying man toray combined with like a starfish.
Speaker 1: Yeah, something like it folds up and then becomes this bulbous kind of plant creature starfish. And anyway, these guys, why are they still down here? I I shouldn't say that. I respect their dedication to first responding me to balls.
Speaker 3: At the same time, like, why do these guys even want to work for Prodigy?
Speaker 2: Like they suck? Like everything's gone to ship on this island.
Speaker 3: You could have just been stealing proprietary secrets, leaving, spraying the wall, doing some decontamination.
Speaker 1: As we said, the spring guy is why don't get the spring guy out of here? This spra Why is the spring guy is still working? He's That's the biggest question. Get no holy on this podcast. What was that man doing? You know that I works. You know that guy works by the hour and floor because getting over time. This is life.
Speaker 2: My fucking leaf blowing?
Speaker 3: Who's outside my house? Every I'm like, my guy, you could just come.
Speaker 1: The leaf blower is old.
Speaker 3: I know it is not tracked by any kind of employer. Don't have to turn it on. Just hang out outside, there's no leaves to blow, but he wants that seven am leaf blow and pay so I get it.
Speaker 1: So they get just eaten up by the plant creature because Siberian. Siberian is like gonna opens one of the bumppens. Why would you do that?
Speaker 3: There?
Speaker 1: Don't do that?
Speaker 3: Very stupid and also as well, like interesting here that this was the last creature we hadn't really seen because this is the bulbous plant creature and it seems to just kind of like suck her into it and then it's just like.
Speaker 1: It's just slobbering and blood's coming down and it's kind of swimming on.
Speaker 3: Sure, the other all the other aliens we saw, we got to understand a bit more about, like their physiology.
Speaker 1: And the way that they procreate and stuff.
Speaker 3: This one, I feel like it was just a bit of a weird, gory trap, but you know what.
Speaker 1: It's still was a cool moment. Yeah, so Curly comes in and knocks out Rashidi, so just.
Speaker 3: With a fucking I also just need to say, like again, we will talk about this with the girls, but the the the inconsistent nature of the power of a sin, because I feel like the control that Jane slash Curly must have over her powers to not just take that man's head off with a full like compressed air cam.
Speaker 1: Wilton, we'll talk about this out on the beach. The I finds Arthur's riding corpse and apparently that's enough okay, and crawls without a heart. He's gotten there.
Speaker 3: She literally has no chest. The organ is gone. He's already had his x anymov pop out of him.
Speaker 1: Guys, I mean, this is incredible, the power of this creature. And you know, crawls into are the corpse and then walks away. You Tany and her troops are in the midst of launching the full scale invasion. You see the chips coming in. Wendy has crossed loss one more time.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 1: Wendy has cursh and Boy Genius and Dame in the holding pen that they were once in. Now I'll tie up along with Adam and Morrow. Dame is like pleading with Wendy, like, you know, come on, She's like, shut the fuck up, you just chut a bunch.
Speaker 2: Of kid motherfucker and she's right about bees.
Speaker 1: She's right. Wendy then monologues and she roast Boy Genius for being a mean angry little man.
Speaker 3: And I like this, I will say, she says, she says to him, and I thought this is maybe the through line that the show was trying to get to, that it didn't necessarily like put across. But she says, well, you had never actually a kid like your adult brain, the genius that gave it to you, never had to approach life like a kid. You were actually able to kill your parent figure replace him, be in charge.
Speaker 2: You've always just been like an angry little man.
Speaker 3: Though I will say he was six and had a dad who beat him, So I do respect that he created a scent to kill his dad.
Speaker 2: That's great.
Speaker 3: Other than that, not a supporter of of this man.
Speaker 2: Also, he is insane.
Speaker 3: Boy genius is like, oh yeah, bully insane, Like he is like he doesn't know whether he's like bricked up, because when he's like on a mission, he doesn't know whether he's upset or scared.
Speaker 1: He's just like smiling. Also, they did go a little bit over the top.
Speaker 2: He is essentially tied in like a christ position in there.
Speaker 1: He's like, come on, guys, a little on the nose. Also, like why don't even bother time, like he's the weakest guy in there.
Speaker 2: All of them are irrelevant.
Speaker 1: Now, like, yeah about it anyway, she's monologuing. She's like, you're powerless now, and you don't like the feeling? How does it feel?
Speaker 3: Ha?
Speaker 1: Ha ha. Slightly and Curly come in and they're like, the plant got away and the I got away. Oh. And then Curly is like, so what do we do now? And then you get this pull out of the camera pulls out of the pen and you see the two loyal Pokemon xenomorphs, the baby and the adults hanging on the side awaiting their next orders from Wendy as she looks at her gathered sense and says, now we rule, and then cut to the music. Okay, season two, I guess we're doing season two. All right, let's go to ad break two and now when we come back, we're gonna have the scream queens. Carmen and Joel come in and we're gonna talk about this frankly not landed episode.
Speaker 2: Insane episode of television that feels like there are still two episodes left.
Speaker 1: Okay, so we'll we'll be right back after this and we're back. Okay, Carbon and Joel welcome, How are you so here. Let me first just I'll give you know. Let's here's what I think, not landed, kind of a mess, no ending, a lot of stuff that we're like, that's what we're doing. And I think my biggest headline is what's up with kersh Why don't we ever find it? And also the aliens truly.
Speaker 2: Are pets right now, they are.
Speaker 1: I enjoyed the season. I definitely think I think it got worse as it went on. Agreed, Joel, Let's start with you your thoughts.
Speaker 5: Let's start with the good. The IPIS continues to be our our king. The fact that it animated a dead body in front of my eyes and then they gave me nothing else to work with.
Speaker 1: I was like, you bitches, bring him back like I need.
Speaker 3: I know, I love I loved that the iapis Like I think this is one of those classic situations like it was with you know, Doug in the monster verse, the Godzilla cong Monster verse, or it was with you know.
Speaker 1: Baby Grogu.
Speaker 3: You never know, like when a character is gonna become the mascot of your show. True true, And in this you can tell from the way that they talk about the iapis on the official podcast that they did not necessarily think this was gonna be some character everyone's like rooting for. But it's so sassly animated, Like when it slides down the drain, I was like, yeah, go get it, Like yeah.
Speaker 1: It was so good in Our Sheep Dolly, Like it's so funny. It seems to be one.
Speaker 5: Of the most powerful and the most intelligent. It like it's actively kind of rounding everybody up, like it's got so much personality, and then when it chooses a different body, it can gain a different type of like personality mask.
Speaker 1: For a bit like cute evil sheep amazing.
Speaker 5: I just think it's great, and I really hope they focus on our iOpus in the next season. To wrap up this very long thoughts section. I just I'm so confused how these decisions were made, particularly you know, things.
Speaker 1: Like you pinged against Peter Pan really early. Jason.
Speaker 5: You were like, I don't know, it's really heavy handed it And I was so sure that, like this is gonna iron itself out by the.
Speaker 1: There's a lot of cool things you could pull from.
Speaker 5: Peter Pan, and instead they were just blatantly like you're not Peter Pan and then had an incredibly confusing statement of like you were never a child, he is.
Speaker 1: A clone? Or what's going on?
Speaker 3: She just means like you didn't intelligence, he never really understand.
Speaker 1: I understand.
Speaker 5: But the contextually, when you're you're building out this narrative like that should have things for people to like that might be like, what does she mean by that?
Speaker 1: It's weird?
Speaker 5: And then two, I think you know what was most disheartening for me is the final line, what are we gonna do now? Rule?
Speaker 1: Why do these kids want to rule?
Speaker 4: Rule over?
Speaker 1: I haven't say I shut them off.
Speaker 3: We get it.
Speaker 1: No, I we're not gonna stop. They're not gonna stop.
Speaker 3: Guys, I love them too, but they're not gonna stop this stop.
Speaker 2: I would say, I don't think the.
Speaker 3: Issue of them ruling wanting to rule narratively is the issue for me, because I do think like kids, they've been busted around, they've been now they want to be in charge, right, Okay. The issue is I want to say, like, what does that mean for the fucking alien cannon guy?
Speaker 1: We'll get you, hold on, we'll get there. Let's carm and your thoughts, yes, thank you.
Speaker 4: I have to say, like I was probably like in the beginning of this season, I was out of everyone on the team, I was probably the most on board. I was probably the most like willing to just set aside all of the issues with the series. But with this finale, I was pretty disappointed with the finale. It did do some things for me that I enjoyed, So just to focus on the things that I did like about the episode. I did enjoy the whole like haunted house vibe.
Speaker 1: That was so.
Speaker 4: I thought that was a fun, kind of like way to do that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the ghost in the Machine was Yes, it was.
Speaker 4: Quite literally like a ghost in the machine type of plot and enjoyed that. I also enjoyed the fight between Marrow and Kersh throughout the Yeah, throughout the series, they were probably the most interesting part of the show for me. Is Kirsh and Marrow and what are their motivations? And then of course I'm glad that we finally finally got to see what that plant thing was doing. I hate that they killed our badass with the red dreads, but you know, we got to see that cool like octopus thing in action, and I enjoyed that. Aside from that, I was disappointed about pretty much everything else the episode.
Speaker 3: You know, it's okay, Jason, let me ask you, and then we'll go.
Speaker 2: To the girls as well.
Speaker 3: What were the three biggest things that you didn't get from this episode?
Speaker 1: Like what were your three.
Speaker 3: Hanging kind of questions or round like things that you just were expecting to thematically play out that didn't.
Speaker 1: Well, first of all, there's no real ending to the episode, enclosure and anything. We're still in the same place that we were two or three episodes ago, with the running around with the invasion, the Italian invasion ongoing, not knowing what Kush was changed are episode. That's quite wise, and so so everything is kind of the same over the course of the last back almost the back third of the season. So that's I think upsetting again. I think Kirsh not understanding what Kurs was in many ways the most intriguing part, Like I was, I was thrilled when in that moment in the chopper where they're coming back and Kursh is watching like stuff go sideways in the lab and he and boys like are you good? Like what are you doing? And he's like, yeah, I'm fine. Yeah. That was I'm like, oh man, this is interesting. And for that to go nowhere and to Basically they're just like, forget it, we may never go very confusing to me, I am sorry, but boy genius needed to die. Fashion getting getting kicked in the face is not enough, Like they needed to kill him now at least nibs at least let nibs like kick him in the face so he gets broke. And I think this is season two itis where they're like, and he is such a great villain, was such a wonderful villain, but the villain exists to get defeated and I and to not defeat the villain and let him hang on. I think is worse for season two, although I think I have some ideas about where it could be heading. But I think you could still have killed him and get there, and then you know those are that and then I think career, and then I think, like the controllability of the aliens to me, is against everything that we've ever seen or known from an alien story. Like on some level they are uncontrollable. Yes, you can point them in a direction and sometimes they'll kill the thing that you're hoping it kills, but they're not like a guided missile, which they are here like they're just hanging out awaiting Wendy's next orders. That is ten zeed away from like a couple of humans that they could kill and they don't do it, and so that I think those are not a big issue.
Speaker 3: Okay, I will say added to that, I think that the only thing that I will say about the aliens that I thought was kind of interesting. But again, this is my read, not something they can inically put in the show.
Speaker 2: They look very like dry brown.
Speaker 1: I wonder probably I'm interested to know to be dripping.
Speaker 5: Budgets.
Speaker 1: Probably, I wonder.
Speaker 3: I wonder if that could be explained away as like a different.
Speaker 1: Yeah no love comment. What were you? What were your three.
Speaker 3: Things that you were like really shocked didn't get kind of explored or answered or even just like meant.
Speaker 4: A lot of a lot of them were like some of the obvious ones that I, you know, I've been talking about throughout the season.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 4: I really thought that mold scrubber was going to be a lot more important than that it turned out to be. I was like, there's something going on with that mold scrubber. I also felt like, yeah, once again I wanted to see Boy Cavalier. That was a big thing for me. Boy Cavalier should have died, he should have been consumed by the eye something, you know. And the other big thing I think I was disappointed with is also just how kind of again, nothing really happened at the end. We just have to wait until season two. And so something I said in the group chat, which i'll say here also is that this to me feels like a show. And I obviously have no idea how season two is going to turn out. It could turn out to be total shit, but this is to me a show that people will watch and be like, just get through season one and then and then in season two, you know, it gets better, hopefully.
Speaker 1: One of those shows.
Speaker 3: Well how about you, what were your big like, what on earth are you doing here?
Speaker 1: Guy? Moment?
Speaker 5: Okay, I'm gonna go expan back and talk about like the season as a whole.
Speaker 1: Yes, when this show started, I.
Speaker 5: Really thought this was going to be Prestige TV space. It isn't, which is a little disappointing, And it doesn't mean it can't maybe hit that space in season two. But when I think about Prestige TV with like cast this large, particular, when we're looking at factions of people who are trying to understand one another. You absolutely have to spend time both like cloistered within the factions and then crossing over the factions, and we don't have nearly enough of that. I don't understand what the like social structure is, you know what I mean, like mirubbers below right, which is a really important element to the Alien franchise. I mean, the first film is essentially based upon that ethos of like class within a workspace, and so to not really get like the culture of the island as it exists, it's frustrating. And you can add to that the fact that they're like we've evacuated all non essential personnel.
Speaker 1: The island feels the exact same amount of population.
Speaker 5: The first Yes, I think two, there is not enough of an arc change or situational change for our heroes or our villains, which's really a problem. Like Wendy goes on what is a really cool journey I think of, like, oh, I'm not a human, I'm also no longer a child, Like what is my identity now? And I'm the first of my kind, Like there's so much to explore under that umbrella, and you don't get a lot of interpersonal time with her and I think that's really frustrating, and simultaneously you don't get enough with either of your villains. Finally, the corporate structure outside of the island. I think Etani is such an interesting game player. I've been saying it from day one. Utanius who was really interested in I think you've crafted a really specific, very interesting character, and to not give us both Etani of it and the true boy genius of it. If you're gonna call a character boy genius, I need to see him doing some genius shit that just blows my fucking mind, Like, Wow, this guy is in his Machiavellian era and we get a tiny dash of it, but not anywhere he's plotting and scheming every single episode.
Speaker 1: Maybe maybe the pod is really good in the universe pod now.
Speaker 3: I also I think that you guys have really summed up a lot of the issues the finale has.
Speaker 1: I will also.
Speaker 2: Say I think that for someone this is how I.
Speaker 3: Know that this show didn't have the consistency of the juice, because I am someone who genuarly the consistency.
Speaker 1: Of the juice.
Speaker 3: Juice sometimes it's like a little watery juice that sometimes it's a delicious full pulp orange juice, you know, like I am someone who as listeners will know, as my pals who I made this podcast, withe will know. Like if there is a group of kids that I can root for and I'm like, touch my kids, I will usually be enamored and kind of riley.
Speaker 1: That I didn't really make you care about that they didn't.
Speaker 3: Make me care enough. And actually I cared more about Isaac, whud they killed. I liked Nibs, but I would have liked to have They.
Speaker 5: Should have nerved Nibs. Nibs should have been down for the count out, Like why bring Nibs back? So stupid? She was done, It was good, it was perfectly what happened to her, and we should have just moved on from there. And and two we loves me would still die first me, but what happened to me should have changed me. Dramatic, yes, like haunted by what has happened. His best friend betrayed him, and now he's like, y'all go along with the plan.
Speaker 1: I'm like, no, this is not character accurate.
Speaker 5: It's very frustrating.
Speaker 1: I must say that it's the inconsistencies, you know, the inability to pick a direction, and kind of keep going there. I mean, we we highlighted the kind of wonky way this. I think this season obviously started very strong, but it started in a way in my opinion, that didn't choose to highlight the kids's characters. And I think only that only became more of a problem as we went on. And I think, listen, I know that I've been out here on shut them down, and I think, sadly, I think, sadly, like I want that's something I actually want to be wrong about, right, What I is, what I want is build me an emotional bridge with these kids so that I'm like, I don't want them to get shut down, right, But sadly, you utrived at a place where NIBBs is a murderous maniac who loves killing people. Me is and slightly are like skipping around like after killing and maiming people and like really enjoying it now. And Wendy is like, why don't we just fucking rule? I know, I don't know, guys, I gotta tell you you're not beating the allegations that you should be shut down.
Speaker 3: I mean to buy it to that house because it's that fat, to the island, because the truth is like I also have a narrative issue and I did bring this up, but like, where do you this is two years before the.
Speaker 1: Events alien right, where does the season two go? What?
Speaker 3: How do we see us since rule? Like do the can the kids just go out and rule? They should have had more conversation with Joe about the realities of the world out that what they need to change, Like I don't feel like I guess here's.
Speaker 1: My theory about how they do it, and let me let me put it. Let me put a theory on there, and I'd love to hear everybody else. First of all, Yeah, as a quick aside, what is Joe's life now? Just like he's below the Xenomorphs?
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, dude, he's like bro She's a speak at you and he's just brock at the back.
Speaker 1: I think what the plan is if I had to guess, I never truly bought into like the curse is going to take over for boy genius because I think you need the stock price and everything we know about even though we know so very little, everything we know about corporations tells us that when you have a charismatic CEO figure, you can't just like he can't just disappear or else the company is gonna like lose all of its value. So my thought was that, and which I've been saying is like they have to impersonate him somehow. So my thought is, since build a copy boy genius and then they put somebody into it, and or build a synthetic boy genius that they control. Or option two is they're like, hey, I where are you come back? And just get in this and you can be this guy. You have to wear sunglasses all the time, and then you're in this guy season.
Speaker 2: I think that makes a lot of sense, honestly, we can then.
Speaker 1: They run the company, and then they run the company like from behind the scenes. They make a deal with you, Tani, and then like they go away, and then they.
Speaker 3: Do they even get out of that? Like do they want to rule the world? Do they want to rule the people? Do they want freedom?
Speaker 2: I feel like we don't know enough.
Speaker 1: I agree with you, but I think like there certainly would get to rule an island and and significant territory on Earth. They certainly would get the prodigies research and design resources at their behest in order to make them better bodies, better energy sources, ET cetera. Multiro takes over.
Speaker 2: He's the captain hook the.
Speaker 3: Kids stay like that's why why is Marl live?
Speaker 1: Anyway?
Speaker 2: Is amazing?
Speaker 1: Yeah, what are your job? Let me get some pitches on what happens in season two, Joel? Where does it go?
Speaker 3: Like?
Speaker 5: So some time jumping? If if it's me, I like we we less time jumps. So something did happen while we were gone? Great, so now you can come back fresh.
Speaker 1: What I would like to.
Speaker 5: See is the kids in a state of disarray and then whatever brought governments back so that corporations had to take a step back. So if you're out there, I would make you tany a main focus so that what we're really getting is a lot of good corporate espionage and.
Speaker 1: Main focus is important for seasons.
Speaker 5: Here island. Who cares? I don't care about.
Speaker 2: But on the potential of the island.
Speaker 1: I think another thing that you just reminded me of, Joelle.
Speaker 3: They did not deliver on the potential and calm, And this is something we thought was so interesting early on when we were really vibing on it. They did not deliver on the potential of the idea of like bodily autonomy. Those names were there, Those themes were there, but by the time you get to nibs, like they just skipped over the.
Speaker 1: Kind of weird pregnancy part.
Speaker 3: Now you know, there is no conversation about other people's autonomy, moros autonomy, cashious autonomy.
Speaker 1: I feel like those conversations around this is an economy. This is another like ideological issue kind of This is like it plays up the class distinction, the US against them, you know, the kids versus adults, workers versus bosses. But all it does is kind of repackage the existing hierarchy, but with a new boss. Like basically Wendy is the new boss and the alien is still the alien in the same role as it would have been had boy Genius been boss. Like nothing has changed, yea, or anyway it was a weapon?
Speaker 2: No, I think you're right. I would also just say as well, like what what does it?
Speaker 3: This is the thing that blows my mind, Like what does the season to even look like? I was kind of of the mindset at this point where I'd seen a lot of theories where people were going, look if they'd go crazy with the finale, this could be an anthology show and every season is a different situation in the alien world.
Speaker 1: On Earth, and I was like, wow, that's so clever. You just burned down the thing.
Speaker 3: All the sense of dead Jason dream comes true and this animal continues.
Speaker 1: No, Like I don't.
Speaker 3: This is my funniest because I'm like, okay, so you're telling me that while Sigourney Weaver Ripley's up there dealing with the fallout of you know, Whalen not getting these aliens, there are just some kids running around on Earth like terminate it to like two kids hybrid, Like is it T eight hundred? Is it?
Speaker 1: John Connor? Like where is it going?
Speaker 3: I just don't see how it fits in It's I want to know.
Speaker 1: I got to know, guys.
Speaker 2: I just also, how long is it going to take?
Speaker 1: Like three years?
Speaker 2: Is anyone going to care?
Speaker 1: Carmen, where do you think this goes?
Speaker 4: Yeah? I I honestly have no idea except for that. I think you Tani comes in.
Speaker 1: I think she.
Speaker 4: Is somehow able to buy up Prodigy as a company and basically make that company a part of you, Tanni. And then I have the feeling that it'll be about you, Tani trying to track down these six billion dollar robot kids.
Speaker 1: And I'm kind of imagining.
Speaker 4: Like again, I said this in the last episode, but it feels a lot like Westworld season one, Like I wish they had kind of gone in a West World season where it.
Speaker 3: Kind of expands out of the one space that you've been in.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but then then West World season two kind of didn't deliver on that either, So.
Speaker 3: Maybe I just don't know how to make a story about hybrid human robots.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it seems struggling with I.
Speaker 4: Like the anthology idea.
Speaker 1: I think it should have just burned it. Yeah, I think that could have been such a cool idea. It's you, I mean, you just touched on something interesting, Rosie, which is like we've seen so many of these, like a, I come alive, robots are alive, we make life, and then it's we have to grapple with it. And my issue with all of them on some level, even the ones I really like, is that like it's too much like us, like whatever the synthetic life is, whatever, the robot life like they are too radical. Imagination is not here. They should be about to alien know, they should be more unknowable, more scary, with with like intentions and ambitions and fears that we can't even grasp because they are this other thing and instead they just always end up being like humans and they want to do human stuff. You know what, I want to rule the world. Now, Why do they want that?
Speaker 2: Why do they want that? They've been alive for like ten minutes.
Speaker 3: They don't even have like that history of why they would want to do it.
Speaker 1: And you know what, Jason, you actually touched on something I think.
Speaker 3: And this is going to be a crazy take coming from me because Rosie from like you know, beginning of this year, would never have thought I was going to say this, but I have to say I think that's why for me. And obviously you can listen to Boo and Jason and me like kind of popping in and out talking about this. But like I think Foundation season three is like a much more imaginative, strange.
Speaker 2: Like kind of unknowable.
Speaker 3: I think so often about an episode of that would leave me coming away feeling like I have never seen that in a sci fi show before, or I did not see that coming. I couldn't foresee how this unknowable mindset of being someone who's like a constant clone of yourself for ten thousand years, how does that change.
Speaker 1: The way you interact.
Speaker 3: I cannot perceive it or guess it because I have never been in that situation, so I get genuine surprise. I feel like this leaned a little bit more on that idea, Like you said, Jason, these human motivations, like Marcy cared so much about her brother Joe, but then halfway through the season she just doesn't give a shit, And I get it because honestly, I also.
Speaker 1: Don't care about.
Speaker 2: That was not for me, not an in character.
Speaker 1: For one last question for the group, what was Kirsha's deal? I don't know that I know, but like, so what we you know? We we had put forward the theory that maybe he was a spy, you tony spy. In our discord, people have been saying maybe he wanted to take over the company. What do we think? Let's car and start with you. What do you think?
Speaker 4: I just think Kersh is a highly intelligent robot. And when you give a highly intelligent I think it's twofold when you give something so intelligent, this ability to think so powerfully, but then you give them no ability of free will and no ability to choose their own destiny. I think that Kersh is just fed up with being surrounded by idiots, and I think that he just wants to just go and do his own thing, whatever that may be. I don't think he necessarily has to have a human motivation, but I just think that his motivation is to be free essentially.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I interested an intrigue and curious I like that read comment.
Speaker 2: I agree.
Speaker 3: I do think that they set up a feeling that Kersh's motivations were really important. I would also say I guess that other implication is like Kersh could have been the first since than atom right.
Speaker 1: And been there for a long time, you know.
Speaker 3: But at the same time, again, I just thought there was something so interesting. I'm gonna be real and I're gonna be shocking because I do love my children, and I thought Amilie versus the alien was very cute. Honestly, could the show have not just been about Kersh and Morrow? Could about two d necessarily hunting down this escaped alien they have Cursh has to get it for, boy genius, Morrow has to get it for, you know.
Speaker 1: And I love a kid.
Speaker 3: I love a funny short Bangs Hackert, I've got one going on right now. Like, there's many things about this show that I was I love their character plays Eyes that he played Jazz, The Active Places Isaac, he played Jasper and one of my favorite shows. I love the actress who plays Curly. She was in another favorite, a show that I loved. But ultimately I think that that is the thing, is like I need to know more, and I've ended the season by being like, oh, maybe the didn't need to be in it.
Speaker 1: Which is kind of a crazy way to feel. Joelle, your thoughts on what might have been up to here's my head.
Speaker 5: Cannon, Kursh and Adam secretly lovers trying to get.
Speaker 1: Out of this.
Speaker 5: This is some Shenanigans. They're tired of boy Genius, but they know they can't kill him, both because of you know, I think they're under the same rebelic you can't really harm humans, Okay, cool uh? And I think that they've found a way. They're like, if we can bring this island to its knees, and in the craziness, one of the aliens happens to give a boy genius, you know, then we're free. Maybe we can help lean the company in the right direction. Maybe they want to be aligned with you, Tahani. I could see it for them, and then kersh. I think just wants to like be in his lab experience. I think he loves he's a little scientist. He's like, I just want to see what happens when with these two things together, and Adam is like, I don't feel like kids anymore. Right, Yeah, So hopefully we get their beautiful relationship in season two.
Speaker 1: Well, hopefully season two up the energy from the first half of season one and give us some momentum towards the end of an actual story arc. Thank us for enjoyed. I still enjoyed the season and you're talking about it with you guys. Thanks, joy us, thank you. On the next episode of x ray Vision, we're diving into Marvel Zombies Day. You may have canceled your Disney products, in which case we are happy to recap all four episodes of Marvel Zombies for you on the x ray Vision program. That's it for this episode. Thanks for listening, Bye bye bye. X ray Vision is hosted by Jason Sepsion and Rosie Knight and is a production of iHeart Podcasts.
Speaker 3: Our executive producers are Joel Monique and Aaron Kaufman.
Speaker 1: Our supervising producer is Abuza part Our producers are Common, Laurent Dean Jonathan.
Speaker 2: And Bay Wack.
Speaker 1: A theme song is by Brian Vasquez, with alternate theme songs by Aaron Kaufman.
Speaker 3: Special thanks to Soul Rubin, Chris Lord, Kenny Goodman and Heidi Our discorded moderate them