Speaker 1: This is live coverage up the twenty twenty six Steelers Training Camp or the Steelers Audio Network, presented by bud Light, Easy to drink, easy.
Speaker 2: To enjoy, and brought to you in part by your.
Speaker 1: Neighborhood Ford Store Creator, Pittsburgh Community Food Bank, First National Bank. Let's Get Started Member FDIC West Shore Home Remodeling Reimagine by Leecom Digital, Donz Appliances Visit Donzappliances dot Com guaranteed lowest prices, free next day delivery, CGR Wholesale and by Hassa's Steak and Seahouse hass is Is Hospitality.
Speaker 3: Good afternoon, Stealer Nation, and welcome to the home stretch the final days of our training camp coverage here on the campus of Saint Vincent College. Another beautiful day in Latro, Pennsylvania. West Schuler Matt Williamson, It is the drive on Steelers Nation Radio. You already know the drill and boyd, do we have a lot of ground cover today?
Speaker 4: Matt? Yeah, really, we weren't gone that long, but boom lots shaking always always covered the next couple days.
Speaker 3: Yeah, absolutely, always happens quickly this time of year. We are in the final stretch. Just two more practices left, of course, Tomorrow Sunday and then Monday, the final one here at Saint Vincent College. We've got some things to cover from this morning and all the moving and shaking over the last couple of days. We of course have a preseason game to discuss, as preseason number one is in the books. The Steelers victorious twenty eight to nine over the Green Bay Packers Thursday night at home at Akroscher Stadium. But we begin matt with some big news both here on the home front and around the league. A couple extensions that we have to discuss to get us started.
Speaker 4: Yeah, let's start there. I think that's a good move.
Speaker 3: I think so because we are obviously we'll be sinking our teeth into the preseason.
Speaker 4: Stuff and times.
Speaker 3: Exactly right, and there is as pretty positive. Yeah, there's a lot of meat on that bone to like, and I think a couple coachable things too. That's probably always the balance you're looking for if you're Mike McCarthy in company. You get out of their healthy there's plenty of good and there's still some bad that you can correct.
Speaker 4: Well, there's some of that for sure, And continue.
Speaker 3: And continue to harp on. So plenty of ground to cover from what we saw on Thursday night, But some news first before we sink our teeth into the preseason game number one from Thursday and leading us off here today, Matt is a piece of news that I think, Hey, We've discussed but was probably a little bit on the back burner with everything going on here at camp and a lot of attention in terms of the contract conversation here in Latrobe around Joey Porter Junior. But another name that we had mentioned, defensive tackle Keanu Benton Well. Him and the Steelers agreed to a four year, seventy two contract. Seventy two million dollar pardon me, contract extension about eighteen million per year, will make bent In the highest paid defensive lineman in Steelers history.
Speaker 4: Yes, now, I think that's a really good contract. It rubs me a little wrong that people keep announcing it as the greatest and Steelers history. It's almost like they're like Pitt Well. I've heard that from a thousand people, because it feels like they're just like poking a fork in Cam Heyward's side. Like, I mean, times were different, but back in the day, no safety could ask for more than Troy, you know what I mean, or you know, like there is a pecking order in these rooms, but the league is changing so rapidly and the age difference and the value. It doesn't mean that he's better than cam et cetera, et cetera. But I very much believe if he had a season similar to what he's had to this point, hits the open market, he's probably at twenty three a year. I mean this, there's so many teams with so much money and D tackles rightfully, so first off, I'm gonna go on a tangent with that.
Speaker 3: We're seeing that price is going up.
Speaker 4: That price is going up, and rightfully so, because we're seeing way more too high safeties. We're seeing lighter boxes. And the only way what every defense wants to do is take away explosives, rush the passer with four, stop the run with seven, basically, and D tackles is where a lot of that starts. If you can get pass rush and I can be very competitive against the run while taking away explosives with extra guys over the top, you got to invest in defensive tackles. And look at the top teams in the league. The Eagles just signed two dudes. You know, the guys that were in the Super Bowl last year were driven by defensive tackle play. Now, I'm not saying Benton's quite to the level of some of those guys, but his abilities on par with most defensive tackles in the league. And I think we all can admit that he's been miscast as a nose for much of his career and still been very successful in the passing game, so so successful in the run game. Frankly, not very successful in the run game with that being his calling card, but as a three technique outside shoulder of the guard or a four eye that Cam runs a lot the inside shoulder of a tackle or moving around and you know, getting a little further from the ball. I think we're ratching the surface of what he can become. And frankly, if he improves, this deal's a bargain. If he kind of stays the same, Okay, you're like, that's a decent deal, you know, for today's market. But the beauty of it, and I said this a lot with Herbig and I haven't heard enough people talking about it. With the her Big deal. It's a four year deal. Do you know what a bargain eighteen million is gonna be in three years from now or four years from.
Speaker 3: Now, especially if he's inn above the line. Yeah, even gets a little better, even if he's not a superstar, even if he's not a pro bowler. If he gets a little better, You're two years from now, he's gonna be the thirtieth highest paid defensive lineman in the rog right.
Speaker 4: I mean, just the way inflation's going, it might be a little high today, tomorrow, it's gonna be a real good deal. Three days from now, it's gonna be the best bargain in town. And like I'm you know, in like three years from now, is Watt and high Smith even gonna be here. You're gonna be pretty happy that Herbig's locked up for the number he is now. They could still hold out or negotiate or whatever if he's the best player in the league or whatever. But I think this is a great deal for Benton, and I think it's a bet on what we can turn him into in terms of changing his responsibilities, altering them to some degree, and we think the best football's ahead of him no matter what. And keep your own. I'm always a big fan of keeping your own absolutely.
Speaker 3: I'm with you that original you know that original number. You see it and you're like, hey, that's a pretty big number.
Speaker 4: Orbic was the same way. I mean, so I want to have a conversation with you, maybe even in the next segment. But the sticker shock of all these deals lately has really been wow. And I'm sure fans are responding the same way. You gave that much money to a backup outside linebacker. What the heck's going on? It's just the league is growing so so fast. And the conversation I want to have with you is Adam Schefter put out yesterday or the day before. Since we've talked about how much the average or how much franchises are worth now in the league, cool, they've gone up a ridiculous number. The average franchise from last year to this year. The average franchise Dallas is like number one. The Patriots are three. I think the Rams are two. I'm sure the Steelers are somewhere in the middle, maybe a little on the lower end or a smaller market. But the average NFL franchise has gone up one point five billion dollars in terms of value from one year ago.
Speaker 3: That's insane.
Speaker 4: That's insane, and buy me a little time. I gotta look something up super quick here, I'm looking for it. But you know.
Speaker 3: You know what also too, like we're seeing this across sports, but especially in the NFL. I don't know if you saw this, Matt, but like in the last week or so, the Los Angeles Lakers were sold.
Speaker 4: That's why Schefter kind of piggybacked off of that.
Speaker 3: Right, they were just sold. I think it was a little over a year ago, yes, for ten billions.
Speaker 4: And she's insane, insane.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and then twelve or thirteen or fourteen months later they sold for twelve billion. So in less than a year and a half, the price went up two billion dollars. And I understand that's the Lakers, but that's an NBA frame nothing.
Speaker 4: But they didn't when they didn't go far in the playoffs, they didn't win the whole day.
Speaker 3: Haven't been very good for a few years. Then Lebron left.
Speaker 4: He's like the biggest day of the sport and he left, and you would think that would hurt the value of it, but it doesn't. People are still going and I think you exposed this to me months ago, but people are like, oh, what up one point five billion. That's okay. I mean that doesn't mean you got to throw three extra four extra million to Bent and her big, et cetera. Yes it does, because you showed me this. I mean, one million seconds is eleven points five days.
Speaker 3: This is one of my favorite just general.
Speaker 4: I know I cited all the time.
Speaker 3: I could use it for sports, you could use it for economics. It for a million things.
Speaker 4: A million is eleven and a half days. Okay, that sounds about right. A billion seconds is just under thirty two years. If you're franchise, the average NFL franchise went up one point five billion, yep, an extra five million. The cap might go up fifty million next year and I wouldn't be shocked. I mean, the inflation is not even come close to matching going up one point five billion. Matt Simon, this is nickels in the couch cushions.
Speaker 3: Someone who's worth one hundred million dollars. Yeah, is a lot closer in wealth than you and I to a billionaire.
Speaker 4: Right, Like did Joe average walk in the street, dude like us? Right? Exactly right. I mean, so if your franchise, on average went up one point five billion in a year. This is nothing. Don't even look at the numbers anymore. The league is thriving. It's not my money. I mean, if mister Rooney or whoever owner doesn't want to give players what you know, the market rate, they have every right to do it. No one can tell me what to do with my money either. But the fact that the league, in all these contracts are blowing people away, it's still not even keeping up with inflation and what the value of the league is. It's I'm closed.
Speaker 3: The Adam Scheffer stat that you reference there, The average NFL team is now worth nine point three four billion dollars. That's up thirty one percent from last year's average, the biggest biggest year to year gained since the valuations launched in twenty twenty. Yeah, that's absolutely wild.
Speaker 4: That's absolutely wild. There are now five and multi billion dollar organizations going up thirty one percent.
Speaker 3: You said, yeah, thirty one percent. They're the Dallas Cowboys now with the highest valuation of fifteen point five billion dollars. There are six different NFL teams with over a ten billion dollar valuation.
Speaker 4: Wow.
Speaker 3: And again, if you would have done a valuation for the Lakers, yeah, it would have probably been nine or ten billion. They end up selling for twelve. Right, So the Cowboys valuation is fifteen and a half. If marry Jones and the.
Speaker 4: Jones family, I'm taking offers, it would probably be close to twenty at least fifteen, you know, right, you're right? Eighteen twenty right, right, right, So it's one of those things you can't put a price on it. You're right, because you almost can't lose money. I say this all the time. I mean, when who is that terrible owner for Washington?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 4: Oh my gosh, I can see why might I not remember?
Speaker 3: No, yeah, everyone knows you're talking about, right, But.
Speaker 4: He bought the team and sold it for fifteen or twenty minutes Snyder, Danis Snyder. He bought the team and sold it fifteen or twenty years later or whatever it was for billions of dollars of profit, and couldn't have been worse at his job. He couldn't have done more to make the team worth less and stills killing it.
Speaker 3: Matt, I think you could say the same about the owner of our local baseball.
Speaker 4: Club, right, think about it, right?
Speaker 3: I mean, sports valuations across the board have gone up astronomically, especially in the National Football League. That is clearly, by far, miles and miles ahead, the biggest entertainment vehicle in this country. And you're right too to say that that doesn't mean that owners just have to start throwing out.
Speaker 4: Money they want with it. There's still a cap.
Speaker 3: But what it also means, and this is something, Arthur, this is a Motes line I'm about to drop on you on you here that yesterday's price is not today's price.
Speaker 4: Nine closed.
Speaker 3: So just because this defensive tackle last year signed for this much and oh my goodness, how can you give Benton that much? I don't think Benton's even top fifteen painted his position.
Speaker 4: No, I know he's not so right. He's making about the same as Wyatt with the Packers who recently signed, and you know they both have a lot of talent.
Speaker 3: So if you if you're if your reaction is that's a little bit of a risk. I want to see a little bit more from him. I think there is more juice to squeeze there. But that's a big commitment to make before you see that juice. I can understand that, Lodger, But if you're like panicking and oh my goodness, why are they giving this guy all this money, and what the heck is this?
Speaker 4: Yeah, what you're talking about?
Speaker 3: I I think you're missing the forest through the trees.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean because five.
Speaker 3: Years ago, four years ago, three years ago, this would have been a huge number.
Speaker 4: Oh, this would have been the same.
Speaker 3: Now it's about a normal number.
Speaker 4: It's a normal number. I mean, I'm old enough. Like in the eighties on Sports Illustrated cover first million dollar baseball players like Mike Schmid or somebody. You know, Holy cow, if someone playing a game is getting a million dollars, I'm working hard every day. I'm worth more than them. They're not. No one goes to see you play, you know, like not everyone across the entire country tunes in to see a backup offensive tackle or edge player help you win, because those guys are super valuable, and the next one's gonna get more, and the next one's gonna get more. The inflation is it's not my specially. Don't like talking economics, but I I think that if you put it into the the account of if teams are going up by forty percent, thirty percent on billions to start with an extra million here or there for defensive tackle means zero. Again, it's a dime you found. It's not even the change in my car, my suv. And this is something you walk past a penny and not your if you pick it up.
Speaker 3: And I also, I think the biggest part of this is what he can become.
Speaker 4: That's the beauty of it is.
Speaker 3: Again, if he, if he if Keanu Betton never takes off, and let's even say worst case scenario, he kind of takes a step back or plateaus, then you're not thrilled. Then you're not thrilled. You're this doesn't completely break your salary cap structure, but obviously you're not thrilled.
Speaker 4: No, it's not that bad, and it would it'd be a.
Speaker 3: Little not a major setback, but it would certainly be a little bit of a setback. But Matt if he continues to do what he does, like his first year in the league, one sack, second year in the league, one sack. Last year he had five and a half. Yeah, he went from thirty four and thirty five tackles his first two years to fifty one. Last year. He went from one TfL and two TFLs to six. Last year, he went from eight QB hits to twelve quarterback hits.
Speaker 4: Yeah. I mean, if he just has become a very good interior pass rusher and in their gold.
Speaker 3: As we've discussed, if the movement of why a Black puts him more in a square peg square hole situation, and now he's getting.
Speaker 4: And you're gonna live in nickel. He's one of the two on there quite a bit. And Cam's up in age, you know, right.
Speaker 3: And now he's getting you seven and a half eight nine sacks a year. Like you said, all of a sudden, people would look back on this in a year or two and go, hey man, that was really good value. Good thing you locked him up when you did.
Speaker 4: I think the let alone three or four years, and it's a four year deal.
Speaker 3: The potential for this deal to be a nice bargain in a year or two I think greatly outweighs the potential for this deal to be a.
Speaker 4: Disaster right in a year two. And we can't even discuss injuries because any contract, unfortunately, anyone could blow out their d at any time, you know, I mean that's just the nature of the you know, these investments, they are risky in that regard.
Speaker 3: He's missed one game in three years though.
Speaker 4: Right, I mean, I say, he's healthy, he's young. You think there's no reason to think decline. In fact, he might be on my short list of Steelers ready to take the biggest step from last year to this year. I mean, we could go through that list. Maybe. I mean, that's just off the top of my head. But I just think they used it. Like you said, I think he's in. I think he's a better and better player. Scheme team aside, but now if he continues to get better because he's very talented, I mean, and the scheme also helps him as opposed to hurting him. Maybe he doesn't play as many snaps, but I think he's going to be more effective and more valuable.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we've had some of those conversations along the lines of you know, who do you think benefits the most from the defensive coordinator change from bringing Patrick Graham in? And we've talked a lot about the linebackers, and we've talked about some maybe Jalen Ramsey type. Sure, maybe Benton should have been at the forefront of that conversation too, And hopefully we're going to see it here start in September. Yeah, there is another big extension around the league that has a direct effect to the Pittsburgh Steelers. We're going to touch on that and kind of continue this news of the day here to get us started, as well as getting into obviously plenty of thoughts from the Steelers and the Packers on Thursday night. We have a lot to cover here. On this Saturday afternoon into the evening edition of the Drive was Schueler Matt Williamson. We're here with you until six o'clock, just getting started on the campus of Saint Vincent College. It's all part of our ongoing training camp coverage Steelers Nation Radio on the Steelers Audio Network.
Speaker 1: This is live coverage of the twenty twenty six Steelers Training Camp or the Steelers Audio Network, presented by bud Light, Easy to Drink, easy.
Speaker 2: To enjoy, and brought to you in part by your.
Speaker 1: Neighborhood Ford Store Creator, Pittsburgh Community Food Bank, First National Bank, Let's Get Started Member FDIC West Shore Home Remodeling Reimagine by Leecom Digital, Donz Appliances Visit Donzappliances dot Com. Guaranteed lowest prices, free next day delivery, CGR Wholesale and by Hoss's Steak and Seahouse hass Is his hospitality.
Speaker 3: Rolling along here with a lot of ground to cover, a million different topics to hit on. Matt and I were joking during the break, some days out here at training camp are a little bit like pulling teeth.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 3: Weather moves the practice inside and we don't get to see anything, so we don't really have anything to talk about, you know, stuff like that.
Speaker 4: There's not a lot of topics at times.
Speaker 3: But then other times it's like manna from the heavens. It's like it's like Christmas morning as a kid. You just got stuff to unwrap everywhere. Matt, we haven't even before we move on to another big extension from one of the league's big name cornerbacks and how that affects, of course, the Steelers and Joey Porter Junior. We need to make sure to stay in chronological order here because we still haven't discussed the reunion, the addition of veteran linebacker of Landon Roberts, who reached the Steeler reaching an agreement with the Steelers on a one year deal just before that preseason game on Thursday, I think it was Wednesday evening this news broke. If if I'm remembering.
Speaker 4: Correctly, yes, and I like it quite a bit. I'm excited to see him, you know. I mean tomorrow practice is probably the best time to see what he's looking like. But I love his style of play. I mean, yes, he's a limited athlete. He's not the fastest guy. He's on a sideline. The sideline, dude. You don't love him in coverage or playing in reverse, but he's not awful in any of those aspects. He's last in this league for a reason. He's not just a big goofy stiff, but he plays so hard and blows people up and is very ravenesque. And I do think that. I mean, say what you want about Queen and especially Wilson, they're a little more finesse.
Speaker 3: There, the sideline of sideline, kind of modern linebacker.
Speaker 4: And I wish Wilson could take on blocks, would take on blocks, or would be better taking on blocks a little better, or blowing up a big guy in the hole or whatever. I don't know if I'll ever be his game. He's kind of cut high and he's kind of leaner. But Roberts is a killer. I mean he really is, and I think his plays infectious. I think the teammates love him, and I remember Dale and I went into detail. When he left, it was like a lot of people were bummed, and I kind of was too, because I like him being around for a lot of reasons that I just mentioned. But at the time, they needed Harrison's special teams value and they replaced Harrison basically or Roberts with Harrison ya to be the banger, but Harrison had more special teams qualities. And I forget what linebacker they lost the same year as Roberts, but he was also a core special teamer. So Roberts kind of killed two birds with one stone, although the on the field defensive thumper bird, I think Roberts is better at, you know. And but what Roberts do last year played for Patrick Rams, right, So not only is he familiar with Saint Vincent's and the Rooneys and the Omar and the organization from a year removed, but where he went on vacation for a year was with like your buddies, right right, all right, So I think the team must really be happy that he was available. I also think Harrison's in trouble now, in desperate trouble, and his contract doesn't help. I mean, we've talked about this for months.
Speaker 3: He's making a pretty penny.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think he's a five million dollar cap savings, and I thought he might get cut right at free agency opening, but I guess they never quite needed the money and they didn't see a replacement. But that still applies now. Just because he lasted during the summer doesn't mean you can't still make make him, you know, save a little buck. And I don't know what Roberts is making, but I'm sure it's less. It's probably League miniment.
Speaker 3: I was going to say, I haven't seen that number. Yeah, it was a one year, three million dollar contract last year with the Raiders. You can't I was going to say, I can't imagine that that's been drastically reduced or that he's gotten much more than that. I would imagine it's around that same kind of neighborhood. Yeah, yeah, and yeah, that's a little less than Malik Harrison. You could save some money there. I think Cole Holcomb right is probably firmly entrenched. I think as as as you're you know, kind of three four wherever you want to put him, And then Carson Brunner is your fifth guy who's really the special court.
Speaker 4: He played a lot on defense this week, but I'm not sure you should do in real life.
Speaker 3: Right and during the preseason that's where you get those get those reps in and get him out there. But yeah, I'm like I think for Malik Harrison, it is it is uh time to be on high a art because Alan and Roberts, like you said, especially if you view Malik Harrison, that you don't need that special team's prowess that he offers because you're gonna get it from Carson Brunner and Travis Homer and Ben Scronick.
Speaker 4: And there's some new names, but there's still plenty of contributors.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, we've lost some of those names and the Miles kill a Bruise and the Conner and the Connor Heywards, but.
Speaker 4: You've brought you drafted a couple, and you drafted.
Speaker 3: A couple two. Very very good point by you there. So yeah, this one made a lot of sense. And I just I like the cut of his jib compared to what you have. You need the you need thunder and you need lightning in modern linebacker rooms, and maybe they had a little too much lightning. Now they bring in some big thunder that they're familiar with and as you mentioned, familiar with Patrick Graham. Maybe even that's great to have a guy in the room who spent a whole year with him and speaks his language and knows his system and all that stuff to kind of, you know, be that.
Speaker 4: I'm already exactly yeah right, yeah, exactly right, and he knows everything around the organization and he knows the defense, which is great. Kind of shocked you was still out there. I didn't know. Maybe there was an injury looming or something, or maybe the stewer has been talking to him for a while and he didn't want to go through all the dog days of camp and his career, and a lot of those guys do that. Right in the locker room is on just before us, and you know, they the door open. I was listening to Max and Rob chat a little bit about this, and Max's analogy was, Hey, when I go down to my U my work bench, I need a variety of tools. And he was pretty much implying what you just said that I okay, And he's used screwdriver as example. He's like, I got a couple of Phillips heads, a couple of Yeah, I had a couple of flatheads and I got ones. You don't have many of that. That one that you can you pull it out and you flip it around and it fits everything. That's Fred Warner, you know. That's that's our lacker. You know, like there's just not many of those in the linebacker position. There's gonna be situations goal line, you know, Tush push stuff, Raven's week, or you know someone is playing a lot of heavy personnel that maybe that's not a Wilson week. I mean, I don't think he's a you know, just assured himself that you can never take him off the field type of guy. Se Injuries are gonna settle in. There's gonna be times you're gonna call on Robert's skill set to be the hammer, you know, and I think he's a good one.
Speaker 3: Especially those two games against Baltimore that you mentioned at Philadelphia around Thanksgiving as a potential Roberts game. Maybe those Browns matchups too, with how they're gonna try and run the football and protect their quarterbacks this year.
Speaker 4: I mean even Atlanta, you might want to beg them to throw and just try everything possible to bang on Beijon, you know.
Speaker 3: It makes sense. It's a guy who's familiar with the team, a guy who's familiar with the defensive coordinator and brings a little something different than what you have in that linebacker room.
Speaker 4: If you think he's better than Harrison and cheaper than Harrison, well then it's a no brainer.
Speaker 3: It's a no brainer. And I think we're probably on that page. And yeah, I think I am as long as as long as he's got a clean bill of health and ready to rock and roll, We'll await to see the return of Alanta Roberts in the return of some physicality of that linebacker room for sure, Matt real quick. Before we move on to the Witherspoon contract here, we do have the return of the green line painting robot on the far side of the field. First time we've seen first time we've seen the line painting robots since what the acclamation period.
Speaker 4: That has been a while. He's been on the pup lists. He looked. I think he was in a little trouble that first go round.
Speaker 3: I think so too. I think he was in the doghouse for a couple of weeks.
Speaker 4: He's knocked out five or six lines though, And yeah, in midfield.
Speaker 3: There's one there that's a little lighter than the others, but across the board pretty solid.
Speaker 4: They just made a little adjustment to him. Yeah, give him a little coaching out. He's doing all right.
Speaker 3: He's doing all right. We'll keep we'll keep an eye on the look.
Speaker 4: Hopes for him.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, he's young, he's trying to cut his short out here at say, I mean first round pick. He might not make the fifty three, but you know, he's going to be around practice squad and we'd certainly like to see him back here next year.
Speaker 4: He's definitely on of those guys. I sure hope he's here next year.
Speaker 3: Matt that I sure hope next year Joey Porter Junior is still here. And even if he doesn't sign on tract extension, I guess there's still an avenue. You know, there's franchise tag and things like that that could be used. But we are starting to get up close to the eleven hour and more of these deals done for corners around the NFL.
Speaker 4: We haven't talked Porter that much, you know, he's just kind of he's been on pop. He's not out here. I'm sure he could play if he had to, If this was week one. Blah blah blah, Witherspoon. I did not see the numbers, but I'm sure they're large. You know, the headlines are bringing up Gonzalez more of a you know, piggyback off the Witherspoon contract than Porter, and I do think Gonzalez is worth more than Porter, and probably worth more than just about every Corner League other than three or four of them. Maybe Witherspoon's weird though, I mean, he's not like Gonzales in Porter though. I mean he's closer to Ramsey and as a slot and do it all and a really really important player on one of the best defenses and Super Bowl champions in the league. So I'm not saying he's not worth the money. He's worth a ton, And those slot guys are worth more and more and more and more too, and people are using higher picks and more resources on him. But I don't know how this influences the Porter talks. I think the Gonzalez contract would influence it more so. I've been given to some thought they're so rich at Corner what if a deal doesn't get done. I'm not saying you field offers Reporter. I think you keep the corner position of strength, and I am a big fan of his work. But if it got ugly, and contracts have over the years in the NFL, I demand a trade. I think you could weather that and still be pretty good at corner, and you'd get a lot for the player. I don't think that's what anybody wants to do, and it would not be I mean my last resort avenue, don't get me wrong. But you also have him under contract this year. I think he's certainly good enough to be in the franchise conversation after the year. So maybe there's not as big a rush from the organization. There probably is more of rush, reporter. I'd like that big signing bonus. You know, I've seen all these guys sign for twenty plus million. I want to do that now as opposed to play out this year. Maybe I blow out of knee or something. And I do think the Steelers clearly are stressing big pressman corners, yes, and they're going to do more of that. They're also going to play more too high and cover four and cover six, which turns into a version of man as well from those outside guys, but league wide, the league's playing more zone than ever, and it's not really his specialty. I'm not saying he's bad at it, but he's more of a pressman corner. And I think that's why the Steelers want to play more pressman, because then preparing for the Steelers is harder than Joe average team. I mean, it's just like the Patrick Ricard stuff with the Darknet Washington stuff I talk about all the time. Yeah, if you're different, people think you got a whole week to prepare, you do, but it's that week goes fast.
Speaker 3: You've only got so much time that you're allowed to get those situation.
Speaker 4: If it's like, man, we're gonna see twenty percent more man coverage than we usually do, we gotta change our practice habits, you know. So I think that's what the Steelers are looking for. But there's still probably gonna be like a sixty percent zone team. And I think he's a very good man cover corner. I think he's an above average zone corner. So what's that worth to you though? You know what I mean? Like, you can see why contracts could get sticky with him right now. Yes, because he probably wants top five money. They're probably saying we're going to give you top fifteen money and to probably settle somewhere in between, or maybe yeah, and it's contentious. I don't know.
Speaker 3: As you've mentioned, there's that thirty million dollar class that now includes Witherspoon and Ward and McDuffie's Witherspoon saw us he is thirty three million a year. He's now the highest paid in the National Football League. Four years, one hundred and thirty two million, over one hundred and one of that guaranteed now the highest paid corner in NFL history. I certainly think your Gonzales common is spot on. We heard from Robert Kraft, I mean, I say we like he spoke to you, and I upper Craft, the owner of the Patriots, stated publicly.
Speaker 4: Like two weeks ago it was a while ago.
Speaker 3: That they had made Gonzales an offer that would make him the highest paid corner in NFL history. Maybe he's sitting there now and he's going, I'll just wait, yesterday's price is not today's price.
Speaker 4: Exactly right, rewind half an hour in our conversation, the million billion conversation, et cetera. And one other note about corner before I've slipped my mind though too. It is a volatile position.
Speaker 3: No doubt, real roller coaster a lot.
Speaker 4: I think investing in like her Big Benton, you pretty much know what they are year to year. But I think the further you get away from the ball, especially at Corner, unless you're certain or some total superstar, it can be a little more volatile.
Speaker 3: I do agree with that. I will say though, that Joey Porter Junior just turned twenty six, and I think he's really valuable. I think he's very valuable. And this is easy for me to say, but when you look at kind of that cornerback pecking order, now there's those what is it, there's those five guys that are in the thirty million plus club.
Speaker 4: Three of them are new. I mean there was only two whenever we started convers.
Speaker 3: Exactly right, and there'll be a sixth guy that's going to enter that thirty million zales. But then there's that gap where the next group doesn't start till twenty five million.
Speaker 4: It's a big gap.
Speaker 3: It's easy for Matt, I will be the I'm gonna state this big bold all caps letters. This is very easy for me to say, but I would think that bang that's where Joey Porter Junior slots in, is right right in between that upper tier and the next group. But again, that's that's easy for me to say. I'm not the one in the negotiations knowing what he's demanding, knowing what the Steelers want to pay, and how you find that middle ground.
Speaker 4: I would think if it's twenty six twenty seven, I think that's where you're shooting. Yes both team, both team and players should say yes to that. I'm not a contract expert by any stretch, and I've never been a part of negotiations in any way, but I do know when the contract, when there's not a comp contract in the league and there isn't that they're they're that they're that player does not exist right now, it gets sticky because everyone works off of comps, you know, and that that player just doesn't exist right now.
Speaker 3: The one thing that I wanted to make sure to mention too is you kind of you outlined a minute ago about potential scenarios where if this gets ugly, or even if it doesn't, they're just, you know, from a business perspective, they they're they are not they're not on the same page. I don't think that that would be the worst thing ever, but man, it like we have just been this cornerback room, it'd be like this.
Speaker 4: I know, like four steps forward, three back.
Speaker 3: It would be like this. It'd be kind of similar to the wide receiver room. If all of a sudden, and I know that this doesn't this isn't a this isn't an apples to apples comparison, because you just added Pittman. But it'd be like if all of a sudden you wanted to get rid of Pittman or get rid of DK Metcalf. When it finally seems like you've been turning stones.
Speaker 4: Which in a bit it kind of felt like last year. It's like when you got Metcalf and Pickings, It's like, oh, now we're talking, and then oh I could picture these guys together. And then you get into the sea.
Speaker 3: Yes, but and then you get into but you never really replaced them. And then you get into the season and all of a sudden you're one at that position group and.
Speaker 4: It's like this feels like last year in the year before and the year before and year before, like it was fixed. Why did you turn away from it?
Speaker 3: I'm stoked about Jamel Dean, but as you've pointed out, he's got a history of leaving games early and not being the most durable guy. I'm stoked on Dyalen Everett. He's still a third round rookie who hasn't played an NFL regular season game. I really like what we've seen from Assante Samuel Junior.
Speaker 4: He's been tremendous.
Speaker 3: Tremendous.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he also must get on the field in some way, and I'm not sure how does that do it.
Speaker 3: He also, though, is not Joey Porter junior six to two hundred pounds.
Speaker 4: No, And he also had a major neck injury just a year ago. Round.
Speaker 3: So I just I find and then you add in all the backdrop stuff, and I know that this some people pooh pooh or blow their nose at this, but I think for the Steelers organization, this stuff has always mattered a guy who grew up twenty minutes north of the stadium, it does, played high school football in your backyard, played college football at Penn State. His dad's in the Ring of Honor and is a Super Bowl champion and is one of the more legendary not the most, but his dad is certainly one of the more iconic in the regard iconic members of the of the organization. He was the leader of that Super Bowl fifty team, all those Hall of famers. Joey Porter was the leader of that Super Bowl sorry, super Bowl forty team, not super Bowl fifty part of me, the one for the Thumt Jerome Bettist team. I just find a, I find a. I would find it very hard to turn my back on all that. And as you always say, like, go fish at what you could get for Joey Porter. Could he could he fall off a cliff for all these different things. I just I would be hard pressed to find a scenario where I'm not trying to get this dude locked up, and I'm not trying to get it done, you know, before September, or at least the first week in September, before you get to the regular.
Speaker 4: And it would be a different story if you know, he goes into the year, they can't get a deal done. He has a good season and they're still far apart, and you're like, well, I'm gonna trade Porter in my first to get the eight to get my quarterback, all right now, Sorry, but that doesn't happen in August.
Speaker 3: You know, as we sit here now, I don't seek comfort in any in any outcome that ends up with Joey Porter Junior not being a Pittsburgh Steel No.
Speaker 4: And the more I watch this team, I think they can contend this year. I don't want to get I mean like the Bucks don't want to trade Vdavea. They want to win the division.
Speaker 3: Yes, and so obviously we'll continue to monitor that. You're right though, and it's been quiet in that rule that one.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and now with Benton signed, I feel like laser focus over there now because there's no one else looming that I know of. I mean maybe Anderson or Cooker, but they wouldn't be hard hard to deal with.
Speaker 3: And I understand again I'm not directly comparing apples to apples, but I think of some of these past negotiations, like when it was TJ's training camp to get extended, and you heard about that every single day, and I think that's a defensive player of the year and a very high pro. Again, I know that's not apples to apples, but it even felt like quiet. It even felt like with the high Smith extensions, with the Friarmoth extensions that we've seen in the last year or two, that there was.
Speaker 4: More had some issues, there.
Speaker 3: Was more kind of daily updates of oh they're getting close, and this is what one and this is what the other side wants. It's been church Mouse on Joey Porter Junior these last couple of weeks and who knows. I don't know.
Speaker 4: And I know organizations usually have a and it doesn't mean you're better or worse, but I think that they also get an order of operations of well, we'll come back to you as soon as we get Keanu done, you know what I mean, Like usually they focus on one. Now I'm not daring free agency when there's a million balls in the air, but in this time of year, and it's like, let's get the agent in here, sit down, spend forty eight hours with him, or twenty four hours with them, go to dinner, knock this thing out. Then get Joey's agent in here tomorrow. Or you know, there's only so much time in the day. I mean, Omar's busy, and like people forget these things, you know.
Speaker 3: Witherspoon though now the highest paid thirty three million per year, a little bit ahead of Denzel Ward and Trent McDuffie, and then of course Sauce Garner and Derek Stanley Junior who are part of that thirty million plus club.
Speaker 4: I think he's better than Warder McDuffie, different, but more valuable, younger.
Speaker 3: And I understand those guys are a little bit more proven at that the point in their career, but yeah, I just again won that you. And then maybe that's the last piece of this, Matt And maybe like the North Allegheny and the Penn State and who his father is stuff, maybe this shouldn't matter either, But when was the last time the Steelers drafted and developed the guy like this at that position? I know, Ike Taylor's frustrated, right, And then Cam Sutton was a solid player, but he's not Joey.
Speaker 4: Porter junior some of those someone.
Speaker 3: Like It's been a long time since you've drafted and developed one of those guys on your own. You have turned over a lot of stones in that cornerback room trying to find the right mix of veterans and young players.
Speaker 4: And it looks like you did.
Speaker 3: It looks like you did. And let's not throw out the baby with the bathwater here at the eleventh hour, and it could happen tonight, maybe it will may by the time we get off there today it does. We'll continue to keep an eye on that the Gonzales contract and how all these things play out in the coming weeks. West Ruler Matt Williamson, We're gonna finally start getting to some preseason conversation when we return a lot of balls in play here on this show today, Matt, certainly, don't you dare go anywhere with you until six o'clock. All part of our training camp coverage Steelers Nation Radio on the Steelers Audio Network.
Speaker 1: This is live coverage of the twenty twenty six Steelers Training Camp or the Steelers Audio Network, presented by bud Light, Easy to drink, easy.
Speaker 2: To enjoy, and brought to you in part by.
Speaker 1: Always Safe Flagging and Traffic Control making traffic safe again called four one two three oh one twenty three hundred or visit us online at awsafe dot net for a quote today by FedEx, the New Power Move Independence Health System Expert Care here, Remax Select Realty Visit Remax Select Pittsburgh dot com. The Laurel Highlands of Pennsylvania visit go Laurel Highlands dot com. The Steelers Pro Shop visitshop dot Steelers dot com and buy Condiente Pizza and Drafthouse.
Speaker 3: The final segment here of the first hour, of course, a three hour edition of the Drive here. We've only got a couple more of those Matt this and more this and two more Sunday show of course tomorrow. You know what they say, you remember this from last year. Never miss a Sunday show. Remember that's the old Grateful Dead thing we had this. Why do I know that, Like once a tour the Grateful Dead would play a Sunday show and it would always be like something crazy happens at the Sunday shows, like some special guest would come out, or they play some song that they haven't played in twelve years. You know, never miss a Sunday show. Folks.
Speaker 4: Are they rarer than Monday, Tuesday Wednesday shows? Yes? Okay, so they intentionally don't play a lot of Sunday show correct.
Speaker 3: Correct, It would only be like once a tour you know where they do like Buckeye Lake on like a Friday, Saturday, Sunday or something Sunday. You were there for the past some days. So yes, never miss a Sunday show tomorrow and then our final, our final train camp show here from St. Vincent College on Monday, and then it is in the books, Matt, we only have a couple of minutes to in this segment to kind of reset We had two beefy ones. Yeah, so much going on we want need to discuss. We were going to hit the preseason game heavy here in the four o'clock hour. But first, Matt, just a couple of loose ends to tie up around the conversations we've had in the first hour. According to Adam Schefter, just this afternoon, now that Witherspoon's deal is done, the market is being reset for Christian Gonzalez, who wants an upgraded deal from the Patriots. The Patriots and Gonzalez have not made much progress so far, so not just here in Pittsburgh. Are we talking about timelines for extensions for defensive backs.
Speaker 4: And a lesser one that people don't seem to be talking about either is DJ Turner with the Bank with the Bengals. Yeah. Yeah, he was also a first round pick like Gonzalez, so there's that fifty year option situation. But he's a very good player, and I would think he comes in a little less. Porter comes in a little lesson Gonzalez, but maybe just one of those three dominant need to fall.
Speaker 3: I was just maybe if Turner signs the twenty six year and then all of a sudden, the quarter can slot in a little bit, give me twenty seven. And then two injury notes that have been released here in the last couple hours as well. The first Jeremiah Love's gonna miss at least a week with a sore ankle from Thursday night's preseason game against the Raiders.
Speaker 4: He played a lot in that game and to look good, But what are we doing here? He's like at points, he's like lowering his shoulders, spinning on dudes and jumping through the air, and he's really fun to watch, But like, you got a million backs and you're not gonna win anything this year? Does he really need to play that much?
Speaker 3: In the middle of the Steelers game, mad, like halftime or during one of the breaks, I'm kind of just looking at some of the other preseason stuff real quickly, and I see this hot Someone's like, oh, Jeremiah loves running like Adrian Peterson. And it's him like putting his shoulder down.
Speaker 4: Yeah yeah, And I'm like, great, that's phenomenal.
Speaker 3: Why are we doing that? On August thirteenth, thirty days till the regular season starts. Man, keep this guy healthy, so doesn't sound like anything serious, but he's to miss at least a week with a sore ankle from Thursday night.
Speaker 4: I was talk about this on another podcasts. I'm like, maybe that's good. So they shut him down and don't beat the crap out on the next two preseason game.
Speaker 3: Could be a blessing in disguise. Yeah, And then speaking of Arizona, this is unfortunate. This one just a couple of minutes ago across the timeline rookie offensive line Chase Pistontis, who we spent plenty of time discussing as the Steelers possibility very early second round pick on season ending injured reserve, he tore his MCO.
Speaker 4: I mean, they have a lot of problems on that team, but it looked like guard with him and Seamaloo could be a real nice, old young compliment, you know, and set up well at bringing that leader to the offensive line room that we knew Isaac was when he was here. And then the next potentially really good slash great, you know offensive lineman to pair with Paris Johnson and man some of these injuries to young guys that you're super excited about the teams are counting on to be Day one starters are just crucial and there's there's no way to really make up for it.
Speaker 3: No, there is not, so some us that is a bummer.
Speaker 4: Man.
Speaker 3: You hate to see anybody, but especially young guys pick up a season ending injury so quickly into their career. But all the best for him and hopefully for a full recovery as again though, Yeah, that's one of the few areas that it felt like the Cardinals could hang their hat.
Speaker 4: On this year. Yeah and really grow.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, that offensive line and that offense. But a setback for bestontist for sure that you hate to see there. That's an hour in the books, folks. We've got two more hours to go, and I promise when we return, we are going to get into the weeds. We're gonna get heavy into everything from that Steelers preseason victory twenty eight to nine over the Packers on Thursday night. An hour in the books, two more hours to go, Eu'ler Williamson. It's the Drive Steelers Nation Radio on the Steelers Audio Network.