Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio Our two.
Speaker 2: On this Monday. Hope you had a great weekend. Gangzo here ready to go, Gino Oriema, the Yukon women's team just won another national championship. He'll join us. Coming up Dan Hurley, who is technically still the two time defending head coach of the Yukon Huskies until tonight when Florida and Houston meet. Florida favored by one tip off eight point fifty Eastern Time. Plan accordingly eight seven seven to three. DP show email address Dpatdanpatrick dot com, Twitter handle a DP show. We'll be at the NFL Draft, a lot of people with a lot of questions. We'll try to answer those. We'll be at the bar On home Grown Way, located about three blocks from Lambeau famous for their wings, and we will be there Wednesday, Thursday Friday doing the show. And there's no tickets, just you show up and we'll get as many people in to watch the show as we can. And then there's a meet and greet that Wednesday night from four to six and you can stop by as well. Once again, first come, first serve, but I'll be there with all the dan Eds. We'll take questions from the audience and it'll be great to say lo to our fans in Greenback.
Speaker 3: All right.
Speaker 2: Poll question for hour two is gonna be what Seaton O'Connor.
Speaker 4: Well, we had up there hour one, who had the best weekend Alexander Rovechkin, Kelvin Sampson or Yukon women. Basically, Page Becker's and gen Aria. Ovechkin's got fifty four percent of that vote. Kelvin Sampson only eighteen percent. I feel like that should be seen as a bigger win for him.
Speaker 2: But well, I think he's got some baggage as well, so maybe you're not going to get a not exactly an embraceable coach with some of the other things that have happened. But man, they played hard, They did not lose their composure. And he he's been here before. Now, he hasn't won a national title, but he's been here before. And you saw that they played as if they had their composure and Duke did not game on the line big moments, and Duke lost that game. They collapsed, but Houston took advantage. You know, teams collapse all the time, but you have to take advantage of that, and that's what Houston did. Houston made big plays, made big shots. They're tough too, yeah they are, but they you know, that's emblematic of how Kelvin Samson coaches. And I wondered when we were making predictions on Friday. I thought Auburn was going to win, and they were leading there for a while, and then all of a sudden, Florida decided, you know what, Oh, that's right, we have Walter Clayton junior. Let's just give him the ball. And then I thought Houston would keep it close. They were five and a half point underdogs, and it looked like they were going to get blown out. And there it was just a moment like it's just one of those where you go, wait, what just happened? And part of it was in slow motion. Another part of it was so quick, it's like, wait a minute, how did they get to this point? And then all of a sudden everything called in slow motion. With Duke. You're missing shots, you're not rebounding, you can't get the ball in. Cooper flag has the ball in the lane. And these are little things, but when you have a shot, you must always if you're going to take the shot. Make sure that you put a little extra on it, because if it's short, it's never going in. If it's long, at least you might get a friendly karm or somebody else gets a rebound. He kept it short, and give Houston credit. They did what they were supposed to do when they were supposed to do it. Stat of the Day brought to you by Panini America, the official trading cards of the Dan Patrick Show. A couple of phone calls, best and Worst of the weekend. What you saw that you liked you didn't like. Good morning. If you're watching on Peacock, that's a streaming partner, download the app if you haven't done so, and we say good morning to our radio affiliates around the country, over four hundred cities that carry the program. So tonight, Florida and Houston eight point fifty Eastern tip off, alex Ovechkin passes Gretzky and and oh, by the way, the Toronto Blue Jays gave Vlad Guerrero Junior five hundred million dollars. I didn't know they were going to get this deal done. I thought that maybe there's a chance that he plays elsewhere, but you lock him up for fourteen years, and that's that's the new style of contracts here. You know, you figure a player might get tired of playing in a place, or maybe a team might get tired of the player. Fourteen years a long time. I mean, that's a marriage. I don't even know what is the average length of a marriage.
Speaker 3: I want to play.
Speaker 2: I want to guess that. I have no idea the average length of a marriage in the United States. You guys, any guesses here, Marvin, how long do you think the average marriage lasts in the United States?
Speaker 5: Eleven years?
Speaker 2: Eleven? Okay, Todd six and a half, right, Seaton, I'm gonna stay closer to fifteen fifteen. I'm gonna go The average marriage last.
Speaker 6: Five years, according to a number of research sites. In twenty eighteen, they did a study and the average length of a first marriage for individuals in America was twenty one years.
Speaker 3: Twenty one years.
Speaker 2: Dang, I thought the divorce rate was like under fifty percent or something like that, checking, or maybe it was over fifty percent.
Speaker 7: Yes, Mark, after a certain amount of years, you could say, fine, I'll stay.
Speaker 2: Is that what you're saying? No, no, no, not me of course not, of course not the guy who had no reason why his marriage had lasted. Right when I said, oh, we're giving marriage advice and then came to you and you didn't have any.
Speaker 5: He's not a single word of advice for that, gentleman.
Speaker 2: Have a sense of humor, Have patience, Yes, Marvin.
Speaker 5: If you have kids, you two are a team against the kids.
Speaker 3: Yeah against.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Do you think you're making it any better than what do you say?
Speaker 9: Yes?
Speaker 2: Okay, all right. You're just keeping it real, is what you're doing. Uh So, Gina Oriema is set to join us the freshly minted head coach of the national champion Yukon Huskies. Did you forget about this feeling? Did you remember what it was like to win a national title?
Speaker 3: Almost? You know, we have those moments our senior citizens. You know you ought to know so, but it didn't take long to remember. Though. Never ceases to amaze me, the the feeling that you have when when you watch those faces and it's just really really unbelievable.
Speaker 2: But take me back to pre season and you said that the girls they lost a scrimmage.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we did, we did.
Speaker 2: And is that where you go home and you say to your wife, oh my god, I don't know what we have here. We may not even make the tournament.
Speaker 3: Well it's that's exactly what we say. We said, I hope we make the NCAA tournament this year.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 3: Is we didn't take it seriously, you know we we kind of everybody thought, yeah, we're gonna be good because you know, we're healthy. We got everybody back, But it was a it was a good reminder, but it was it was a struggle throughout I would say November December, trying to find some consistency. We would have it, lose it, have it, lose it. And I think it wasn't until we got back from South Carolina the first time, when we played so well that we actually understood, all right, this is what the level is, this is who we can be. And that's when it all changed.
Speaker 2: Is it a grind?
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, oh yeah?
Speaker 2: But is it a different kind of let's say, fifteen years ago, similar kind of grind.
Speaker 3: A little different. I think a little different it being that the players I'm coaching today are way more challenged, They're way more distracted, They've got way more voices in their head, They've got way too much information coming at them from all sources. Of people things that it's hard to make your voice really be a you know, the voice like you know when you played, like your coach said, you know, today's Wednesday. You go home and tell hey, mom, today's Wednesday. Man, No, it's not. It's Monday. Coach said, it's Wednesday today. What's your coach say today. I don't know. I wasn't listening. I mean, it's just a little bit harder right now. Man.
Speaker 2: But you're not dealing.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: We hear the men's coaches talking about transfer portal. Nil. Yeah, how prevalent is that for you on a daily, weekly, monthly basis?
Speaker 3: No, I don't deal with it on a daily, weekly, monthly basis. No, we don't have somebody on our staff that's calling AAU coaches and handlers and all that. You know, you know is you're a kid interested, Hey tell them we're interested, like a lot of schools do. No, we don't deal with that. We just coach our team. We know at the end of every year, because we get pretty good players and if they don't all play as much as they want, those days I'll wait my turn. Those are gone, you know, So we know that the end of every year, some kids already halfway out the door when they realize I'm not getting the time that I thought I was going to get, and it's like, you know, we understand we might lose a couple every year, but there's a couple of kids that want to come every year. What makes it hard is in the NBA, they have a free agency period of time. This is when you can talk to free agency is when you can sign them, blah blah blah. Our free agency is the whole year and every kid there's three hundred and sixty five Division one schools plus Division two. Every kid's a free agent every day the whole year. It's just and then the portal's open during the NCAA tournament. Can you imagine the NBA playoffs and free agency is going on during the playoff. I mean, it's insanity, so whoo, but luckily we don't have to deal with it as much as obviously it's happening on the guys. And the money. Don't even get me started on the money. Some of the money that I hear programs have to spend. And now obviously it's football and men's basketball to drive this, but it's out of hand. Man, it's out of hand.
Speaker 2: What would your pregames speech?
Speaker 3: What's my pregame speech? Probably, you know, the same as it was the previous three games, that we just want you know, we we we This was our fourth game, you know, too and too. I like to talk about how many times this one was really good. I like this one because I said, you know, this is our twenty fourth final four, and our record in the final four before last night was eleven wins twelve losses in twenty three final fours. I said, So, I'm the winningest coach in the history of college basketball, but I have a losing record in the final four. I said, But when I'm introduced at some events, you know, they go and ladies and gentlemen gino Oriama, you know, he's lost twelve, I said. They don't do that. They say, you know where emanies one eleven Nationals. So you know, nobody gives a damn about who loses. They just care about winning. So why worry about losing because nobody cares. So I think the thing that I always try to do is try to make them understand to not be afraid to lose, because that's what gets in the way of teams winning, especially at this point in time in the season, when your whole, you know, career is riding on it, the fear of losing is just so powerful, and I think it's my job to try to diffuse that as much as I can.
Speaker 2: At any point during that nine year maybe it's not fair to say drought, but for you it would be. But did you at any point doubt yourself of am I still able to motivate them? Am I losing it? Or you know, any kind of concerns about you and your coaching?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Yeah, of course, because well a couple of things. We went to fifteen straight final fours, but we didn't win. After number eleven, we didn't win the next four or five years. You know, six years out of those nine years that we didn't win, we went to the final four eight times, and we were never healthy. I shouldn't say six of those times we were never healthy. So I kept saying, you know, when we get healthy, we'll be fine. But I gotta tell you, Dan, I'm brutally honest. There was so many times when I would go home and I would say, I don't think I'm as good a coach as I used to be. I don't think as able to do what these players need in today's world. I don't know that I can do that, which is crazy because we're going to the Final four every year, But it does creep into your mind when it's you're having all these things thrown at you. This injury, that injury, this key player's out, that one's out for the season. You know, yeah, it really really really made me question am I still the right person to be doing this at this time in my career at a place like Yukon, where championships is the standard.
Speaker 2: And you know how this works. We get to a certain age and people go, oh, how much long are you going to do it? You know, Oh, you know, be a great time to retire, you just when you walk off Finally, I mean, so how do you deal with this? Just because I decided in three years I'm retiring. I just said I have to mark this is when I'm going to retire, or I don't think I would retire.
Speaker 3: Is that five years ago? You made that commitment.
Speaker 2: A year and a half ago, I said I would retire, and I gave the date I was going to retire. Good for you, okay, but I needed to do it because there's other things I needed to do and to be fair with my family and my wife. Have you had those discussions of And I don't know if there's anything else that you want to do, because maybe you're like you know, coaches coach till they die. It's like, this is what I want to do. This is all I know. I don't know if I'm wired that way. No, no, I no, I don't know why I still do it.
Speaker 3: Be honest with you, Most people my age have enough sense not to do it. And I think one thing that helps me dan like when I get back to school and whatever recruiting has to be done or whatever I would say, by the time May comes around, I don't give basketball a thought until next September. I get it. I just walk away. I'm done, And luckily I have a staff and I got a program that can do that. But I don't live at twenty four to seven. I don't take it home with me like the way you know a lot of these guys do. That just wears on them day after day. Now we have the privilege of doing that because of our success. I get it. If you're grinding it out trying to make DANC Tournament every year, keep your job. But I'm not in that situation. If I was, I would have got out a long time ago. Uh So you know, I'm able to put it away, and there's so many other things that I would love to do. You know, when you retire, let me know, because I'll sit there and ask great questions like you do and make fun of people like you do. I would love to do that. However, I got it. I got an email today from a friend of mine, Tom Sherman, play for play for Penn State, and he played for Joe Paterno, and he emailed me today and he goes, hey, forty years at you kind of because it's unbelievable. He goes, you know what, Joe Paturna was at Penn State sixty four years, so you can still catch up. And I thought to myself, you've got to be kidding. Sixty four years. Yeah, so no, it'll be some time before that, trust me.
Speaker 2: And I'll leave you with this that you get your women to stay. You know, they're there for years, so you develop a friendship, a relationship. Whereas you know, men's college coaches, if you're good, you know, it's a six month you know transaction here. Yeah, but you could see that where you with Paige Becker's you're watching her be this great player to being injured to never winning a title. Now he's your chance to win a title, and just being overcome by emotion because it's real. It's like a daughter, I guess. I mean you're hugging a daughter of sorts in that moment and you're kind of at a loss for words. Correct, it was awesome though, Yeah, it is.
Speaker 3: It is because we do get them at a at an age where they're very impressionable, so to speak, and there's seventeen eighteen years old, and we know, if things go well, we do get them for four years. We do get to see them at the beginning, and then we get to see them at the end, and we get to see them when they're struggling, when they're It is it's like raising your kids and it's like, all of a sudden, you send them off after a period of time. Yeah. If if this was like men's basketball, there's no way I would even have close to twelve national championships. Diana would have been one and done, Stewie would have been one and done. Mayan War would have been one and done. I can go on and on Paige Becker's would have been one and done all these guys. So the fact that I think we can it goes back to the old days. It's like the way it used to be. You know, we get them young and then we you know, work with them, and then does create a bond that I think is missing in men's college basketball and balls a little bit better because those guys have to stay, you know, for about three years. But now the portals become, yeah, look, I'm here as long as I can get what I want. Otherwise I'm out. And so the coaches feel like, Okay, well if this guy's going to walk out on me any day now, how why should I invest all of myself and in or her. I'm just going to coach you get what I need to get out of you, and if you leave, you leave. If you stay, you stay, that's fine. So it's really kind of created like a professional environment where we're just doing this. You're and this nonsense about well they're not employees. Yeah, they are employees. We're paying them to play basketball for us, and when they don't like their job, they quit and go go work someplace else. So I'm lucky. I really am I've got a great situation, and I know a lot of guys on the men's side envy it, and and I feel bad for those guys.
Speaker 2: Uh, congrats, hair still looks great, and uh, thanks for joining us.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and you know, no, I can't believe you're still doing this. And I know I tell people all the time, you're one of the few guys in America that ask questions that are way shorter than the guy's answer. And I really appreciate that.
Speaker 2: I want a shot clock, Gino. I like that brevity, brevity, get to the point. That's it. Hey, congrats, thanks for joining us.
Speaker 3: Yeah, thanks for having us.
Speaker 2: That's Gino Oriema. He uh has won twelve national titles. There brings up a great point that is you get to keep your players. And he's right with one and donners that it's hard to sustain that greatness when you don't have that greatness there for three or four years. We'll take a break back after this.
Speaker 1: Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at Foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app. Search FSR to listen live.
Speaker 10: Hey, Steve Cavino and I'm Rich David and together, we're Covino and Rich on Fox Sports Radio. You could catch us weekdays from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and of course the iHeartRadio app. Why should you listen to Covino and Rich. We talk about everything life, sports, relationships, what's going on in the world. We have a lot of fun talking about the stories behind the stories in the world of sports and pop culture, stories that well other shows don't seem to have the time to discuss. And the fact that we've been friends for the last twenty years and still work together. I mean that says something, right. So check us out. We like to get you involved too, take your phone calls, chop it up. As they say, I'd say the most interactive show on Fox Sports Radio, maybe the most interactive show on planetar Be sure to check out Covino and Rich live on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific, And if you miss any of the live show, just search Covino and Rich wherever you get your podcasts, and of course on social media that's Covino and Rich.
Speaker 2: Geno Arima brings up an interesting point about him winning twelve national checkschampionships. When you have that great player or great players great teams, and you know that you're going to have them the following year and then the following year, it's a great luxury to have. And he acknowledges that because if you look at some of the great team's recent memory, go back to John Wooden. John Wooden had the luxury that Gino has now, and that is his players were staying. Bill Walton was staying, Leuel Sindor was staying, Marcus Johnson was staying, Gail Goodrich was staying. That's how you win championships. That's how you defend a national championship. And Gino has been able to do this. It's still amazing though a nine year and it's a drought and Tom Brady had one of those where he didn't win a Super Bowl, and as he said, you start to have doubts about this because are you getting them over the hump? Are you adding or are you subtracting? And sometimes you need to have somebody be honest with you to say, am I still connect the way I need to? Because coaches, you know your demands, it's different, you know you're not the same when you're young and aggressive. Then all of a sudden, it's like, you know, I got to separate. I got to get away from this for a little while, to come back and get reinvigorated. But still twelve national championships, greatest women's college basketball coach of all time, and he's got an unbelievable team coming back next year. That's why you come back and keep coaching. It's go Why why would I walk away from this? Danny Hurley be a men's coach? At you come, We'll join us coming up next hour. Let's go around the room. Best and worst of the weekend, Marvin, I'm going to start with you. Best and worst of the weekend.
Speaker 7: All right, DP, We're going with obviously Yukon freshman Sarah Strong twenty four points, fifteen rebounds as Yukon completely killed South Carolina National Championship game. Worst of the weekend the Denver Nuggets. I saw a little bit of this game. They lost to Indiana Pacers once twenty five to one twenty. The Nuggans have lost four street games.
Speaker 2: And I don't know if Jamal Murray's going to be available for the playoffs. And I said this after they won their NBA championship. Make sure you continue to surround Joker with great players or good players, complimentary players. Their bench helped them win an NBA championship, and they didn't do that. And I don't think that they're going to win another championship with Joker, and it won't be because of him. But you know, these other teams, they're young. You know, look at what Houston did with Golden State last night. Okay, see, they're really young, and I think, you know, you start to look at some of the other and the Lakers are young aside from Lebron, the Lakers are a young team. But he does if you're going to look at the curve, he certainly ups it up there. And uh, you know, they blew out Oklahoma City last night. Like that's just one of those teasers where you go, yeah, when they do it right, they can beat anybody. It just can you be consistent to win four games out of seven games? That's always the key. Can you beat them at their place? And they roughed up Oka? See all right, Marvin? What else?
Speaker 5: I gave him my best hot worse?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 2: You both? Okay?
Speaker 3: My bet?
Speaker 2: Uh Todd? How about you.
Speaker 11: We alluded to it earlier. Best of the week in Florida's Walter Clayton Junior. With the Gators leading by three in just over a minute left, Clayton hit a layup while getting fouled to put them up six game high thirty four points, five of eight from behind the arc four boards to assist first player with back to back thirty point games in the Elite eight and Final four since Larry Bird back in seventy nine. Worst of the weekend and if you heard this story, golfer Ryan McCormick plays plastic tape over his mouth in an effort to shut himself up on the course during the Club Card Championship in Savannah, Georgia. Friday said he tried about everything to control his anger management while on the course, hoping the tape would help your self control the last he missed the cut tape on his mouth because he could not control himself.
Speaker 2: Seat invest and Worst of the weekend.
Speaker 4: Alex Novechkin setting the record not just because he set the record, book because of the way that he did it. That was a hell of a goal, which I haven't watched a ton of hockey in the last I don't know his whole career, but apparently that was like very like that was that was a very Ovechkin like goal.
Speaker 2: And you know he was trying to.
Speaker 4: Get the record the night before, two nights before where he could have had a hat trick but wasn't able to put one in. But to score like that, that was a hell of a goal. My worst of the weekend. Steph has three points in thirty three minutes. What the heck is that? I know, it's just like an anomaly that's worth bringing up. I think it's certainly not like an indication of the decline of his career. But three points in thirty three minutes.
Speaker 2: And you know who else scored three points last night? Brownie James h better player shif's passing? Yeah, that feels like that's a Steven A. Smith first take discussion better player right now in their careers, Brown and your Steph. I saw where Skip Bayless, desperate for attention, put out there that Cooper Flag may lack the clutch gen. The kid is eighteen years of age. Oh yeah, he may not have the clutch gen. How big is the sample size? You're gonna work on that that he may not have the clutch gen one shot. Yeah, he may not have it. Well, there's a I had to laugh because skip he does his best is still try to stay in mainstream. He tries really hard, all right, Paulie. Best and worst of the weekend.
Speaker 6: Best Houston Cougar's Ford, Joseph Tugler, Oh the Tugler. Yeah, Fritzy's old nickname. So he had the tip dunk with thirty seconds left. He had a really good game, helped that steal late. Only four points, but that's one of those that does show up in a stat book. Worst of the weekend. Good for Vlad Guerrero Junior to get four hundred, five hundred million dollars, But it's weird to announce it when after ten games you're hitting two fifty six with no home runs. You can't you wait till you like parks a few.
Speaker 3: And then announce it the next day. No offense?
Speaker 2: Yeah, hell, good luck with that. Yeah, I won't be covering a majority of his career. I get three more years of Vlad Guerrero Junior the third then that's it. Yeah. Yeah, see three years from now.
Speaker 4: Yeah, what do you think the biggest contract in sports will be?
Speaker 2: We're talking about all sports. Yeah, yeah, yeah, because you have both Kani, we're just so easily like casting aside, like five hundred mili. Oh, good for him, that's cute. That's five hundred million dollars. It's an insane amount of money. What do you think in three years this will keep? Well, what's Otani's seven hundred million and that I don't even remember. Yeah, six hundred million.
Speaker 6: Yes, Paul Victor Webbanyama will be up for a super Max in three years twenty twenty eight. So if you look at him and what a sure thing he is as a Supermax, his potential average per year contract would be around ninety million based off the progression of super max contracts in the NBA.
Speaker 2: You know, but he's not going to be making seven hundred million. He might make four hundred million.
Speaker 6: Yeah, four fifty, but the per year average.
Speaker 3: Could be the highest in sports.
Speaker 2: But yeah, total no, Oh, well, the NBA players, you know, you're gonna have somebody making close to one hundred million here in the next couple of years.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's a good one too, Wembanyama, He's certainly be right at the top of that list.
Speaker 2: Well, Shay Gilgis, Alexander is going to be probably the first guy to get up to eighty million. I'm thinking, yeah, this is why Cooper flag. If Cooper Flag is Cooper Flag. If he's going to be legit, you know, great player, he's going to make a billion dollars. He'll have his rookie deal, then he'll do a Supermax, and then he'll do a Supermax after them. So let's do the math eighteen twenty two, twenty seven, twenty eight, thirty three, thirty four. So he might he might get rookie deal, Supermax, Supermax, and then maybe on the back end of that a decent deal as well. You're going to make a billion dollars. But I wonder how crowds react when somebody is going to make that kind of money. Let's say you make more than a million dollars every game, and you're going to go out and see that player who's going to make a million dollars, but then he doesn't play. You know, I wonder when the crowd starts to go, you know, that's embarrassing a million, you're making ninety million, you'll make more than a million dollars per game, and how you know crowds react to that when you don't play. I mean they already react to that. Yes, Martin, he.
Speaker 5: Said the words out of my mouth. They're already there.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Let me see Mike in New York. Hi, Mike, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 8: Hey, thanks for taking my call, first time, long time grandpa Bob five six one sixty five. And what I wanted to comment on the timing was perfect when you just brought up Cooper flag and whether he has the clutch gene or not is uh. You know, that could have been maybe close to being the best shot in Duke history, but he didn't make it. He's barely eighteen years old and arguably the greatest shot in Duke's history with the Latner shot over Kentucky. He is almost twenty three.
Speaker 12: You know.
Speaker 8: It's the way of our world in college sports these days.
Speaker 2: Well, and that's why I brought up Cooper flag in the expectation level, and it was misconstrued. Maybe the message wasn't said appropriately that if he accomplishes what Kevin Love accomplishes, which is borderline Hall of fame worthy, I think people will be disappointed because he didn't live.
Speaker 5: Up to the hype.
Speaker 2: Now, Kevin Love was a I think he was a surprise to a lot of people. Good player turned out to be a great player and is a borderline Hall of Famer, I would think, And that's where people thought I was saying that Kevin Love has been a disappointment. Kevin Love overachieved. Nobody can say he didn't have a good career. But I'm talking about the expectation level on Cooper Flag. I mean you already have Oh, does he have the clutch gene? Now, granted it skips saying this, and you know, I don't think he truly believes that. And it's kind of embarrassing to say that about an eighteen year old that he may lack the clutch gene based off one shot, because give me the other instances where he may not have the clay. I mean, he's not Lebron where there are times when he didn't take a shot or didn't make the shot. I mean there were times when Michael Jordan said to John Paxson, you take the shot, or to Steve Kerr, you take the shot. Maybele don't bring that up. Mike didn't take the biggest shot all the time, he deferred, which is being a smart player. An open shot for John Paxon or Steve Kerr. It worked, but the clutch gene at eighteen it did make me laugh because I thought, oh my god, we can't go through another generational player where we're going to be questioning the clutch gene.
Speaker 5: That's what you think.
Speaker 2: All right, you're right, I'm not going to go through it. You know, Skip may outlive me. But I got three more years where I don't. No, he's always working out, he's you know, he's always you know, he doesn't drink, doesn't do anything. You know, he's gonna outlive me. I'm going to take a break here. I'm going to take a break. We'll get some more phone calls coming up, Danny Hurley, Well join us, coming up, Dan Hurley. Fritzie keeps saying, I think it's Dan Hurley. I said, well, I've known him as Danny Hurley his entire life. But maybe I'll just say, coach Hurley.
Speaker 3: How's that?
Speaker 2: Yes, Tod, I would say.
Speaker 11: He should go with Dan, because if you're so concerned with being a little crazy, the knoxious and immature whatever people are calling him when he has one of his outbursts, maybe you go with Dan instead of Danny.
Speaker 9: Less little boy kind of sunning.
Speaker 6: Yes, well, yeah, that'll make us all forget it. It's Dan moving on take a break back after.
Speaker 1: This, be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show week days at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio WAP.
Speaker 2: What do you think Ovechkin's jersey would be worth the one that he broke the record million dollars? I'm not up on memorabilia. I mean, I have collected an awful lot in here, but I never collected to sell because there's certain ones like I have an autograph of Tiger Woods after he won the Masters one year, you know. But you know Kobe's jersey, All Star jersey, that's that's autograph to me. Lebron's that's just an autograph. Tom Brady is an autograph to me, Marino autograph, Farv, Barry Sanders, Reggie Miller. I imagine Ovechkin that'd be a million dollars. Yeah, Pauline, this might be.
Speaker 6: A dumb question, but is it Ovechkins to sell? Does he himself keep it?
Speaker 3: And then?
Speaker 6: Yeah, okay, I'm sure if the team had rights to it, the league had rights to it.
Speaker 3: I don't know I would assume it's is.
Speaker 2: I think that would be kind of in poor taste. Yeah, if they said, hey, congrats, give me your jersey, yes, Todd.
Speaker 9: Can he donate it that to the Hockey Hall of Fame? He's got making a lot of money.
Speaker 11: I know everyone would like an extra million, But is it better to put forever or if anyone.
Speaker 9: Ever breaks in the Hockey Hall of Fame, or keep it yourself?
Speaker 2: I would keep that one you can give them. I mean, okay, that's not the jersey you scored the game winner or the all time record, but here's one that was before it, or maybe the final goal of his career. Then you could put that in the Hockey Hall of Fame. This one that's yours. Yeah, Seaton, I'm seeing that. The estimate right now on the puck eight ninety five, Yeah, to be worth somewhere between one hundred and two hundred thousand dollars. Okay, So if I said you could have the puck or the stick, you can't have the jersey, puck or stick, Todd, I think I'm gonna go stick.
Speaker 6: Okayy Seaton, I'm not call it the puck. Marvin stick Paul loved that we're playing pucker stick. I think stick bigger stage in your home.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I think a punk I have a better chance to display that if I bring in a hockey stick and my wife goes, what are you doing?
Speaker 5: I don't know.
Speaker 2: I figured I'd like to put this on a wall. Yes, Todd, is it fine?
Speaker 9: As keepers to rocking? Let the goal go for the Islanders?
Speaker 11: Can you turn around to pick that puck up and pop that thing in his pocket? And it's his pocket, who's it belonged to exactly? First one to grab it. I don't know how that works.
Speaker 2: I would think that he would be respectful. I think that's the first goal that Ovechkin has gotten against that goaltender. I think so, But I'm guessing. I'm guessing that they would just be respectful to Ovechkin and say this is yours.
Speaker 9: Or he could say you keep the stick in the jersey.
Speaker 3: I'm keeping his puck.
Speaker 6: For the right price, you can have it back, yes, Paul So Dylan, the graphics guy just sent us an article in the New York Times, and Ovechkin was changing jerseys a couple times a game the past week or so to put those on the market for the chase, so it could be goal number this, goal number that, and the early estimates on the jersey from yesterday, the goal jersey is a million plus.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, thanks sah rich In Athens hi Rich, what's on your mind?
Speaker 3: All right?
Speaker 12: A little bit of a left turn here, but it's time to play everyone's favorite game? Would you rather the Sports and Food edition? I'm going to present too sports and food related scenarios and you guys can can shoot your favorite. So scenario number one, would you rather be in a skybox with Taylor Swift at the Super Bowl and your meal is a fancy five course steak dinner with cocktails? Or scenario two?
Speaker 8: Would you rather play a.
Speaker 12: Round at Augustin National with Jack Gary and Tom Watson and you get the normal master's menu. You know you're fermenta cheese, your egg salad, your chicken sandwich, and you wash it all down with some Arnold Palmers and some John Davies.
Speaker 2: Okay, Todd, you want to be in the suite for a Kansas City Chiefs game with Taylor Swift?
Speaker 9: Yes?
Speaker 2: Okay, because you're not a golfer, what about you? Seaton?
Speaker 6: Probably rather be walking the course, Marvin Augusta. Yeah, Paul, I stink at golf. It'd be disrespectful to play Augusta with you. You can walk, that's I would like to drive the cart for those gentlemen.
Speaker 2: Okay, they you could drive, and then you could say when you get to the green that you were gonna putt. Yeah, that'd be fun. Yeah you could do that. Uh, definitely, Augusta. I mean I once you're in the booth the suite with Taylor Swift, like what happens? Like, Hi, Hi, really like your music? Okay, then that's it. I get. I get five hours with Jack Nicholas. You know, I'm the course. Then you get to go in the grill room. I ain't come on. That'd be great. I remember we were in Portland and it was the Fred Meyer Challenge. It was Pete Jacob Peter Jacobson's charity tournament, and I remember we did the show out there and I was talking to him. He was playing his round of golf and he waves to me. So I'm doing my radio show. He waves to me to come out. We're on the golf course. Eighteenth hole. He waves to me to come out and walk the final hole with Jack Nicholas. And Arnold Palmer. So Pete Jacobson is playing with Arnie and Jack, and all of a sudden he's waving to me. And then I went out there and did the last of the segment walking up the eighteenth with Jack and Arney, and then Arnie joined us right after that on the radio show Final Hour on the Way, more of your phone calls, best and worst of the weekend, What you saw that you liked, you didn't like. Yukon men's basketball coach Dan Hurley will join us on the program King of Comedies Here Seaton, Marv Paully, yours truly in the BRGS Back after this