Speaker 1: Have you ever wondered what happens to those old Levi's and tired nikes that you drop off at a clothing drive or leave in a donation bin. Well, there's a good chance that at least some of the clothes you give away will end up in Guatemala. It's the number one importer of used clothing from the US. In part that's because of one company that buys up tons of donated clothes and re sells them in Guatemala. In across Central America, it's called Megapaca.
Speaker 2: So most people in the US or even outside of Central America have never heard of this company. But if you go to Guatemala in particular, it is a household name. The brand recognition is higher than Walmart, It's higher than Zara.
Speaker 1: Bloomberg's Adam Mintor visited Megapaca's vast operation in a Squintla, Guatemala to see how it's transforming the business of secondhand clothing. He reports that Megapaca is now expanding with the aim of becoming a household name in a new, much bigger market the US where the clothes come from in the first place. I'm West Kasova today on the Big Take mega Paka turns discards into dollars. Hey, Adam, how's it going. It's going okay. I've been looking forward to talking to you about this story because it's about a company I have never heard of. And you've been covering the clothing recycling industry for a long time, You've written books about it, and yet this company, Megapaca, kind of escaped your notice for quite some time. Tell us about this company. Yeah, it did.
Speaker 2: Like a lot of people who follow US clothing and sort of the globalized export of it. I had been focused for so long on West Africa, East Africa, Pakistan. We see all these pictures, but in fact, Central America is the largest destination for US used clothing and Megapaca is the number one importer in Guatemala and for that whole region. And I just happened upon them because I was at a conference in Costa Rica where they presented, and I was just knocked out by the scale and sophistication of what they do, and I thought, this is something I have to write about.
Speaker 1: And everything they sell is used clothes from the US.
Speaker 2: Everything they sell is used clothes from the US. In fact, that's a feature, it's not a bug. Their marketing is everywhere all over Guatemala.
Speaker 1: So yam Omegapaca, Megapaca is mizienda in Guatemala.
Speaker 2: You will see their signs, these really elaborate graphics printed on their trucks and it'll all say one hundred percent imported from the United States. It's a selling point. They're very proud of it, and people are very keen to get it. Guatemalan consumers, like consumers everywhere really these days, are very fashioned forward. They're very cued by what they see on the internet. They're interested in the same fashions as somebody in Brooklyn might be.
Speaker 1: Tell us how this company started and where they are now.
Speaker 2: So like all great entrepreneur heal stories, they started very modestly. An entrepreneur, Mario Pania, looking for a business. He originally thought he was going to import automobile parts from the US, and he actually went to the US looking for automobile parts, and he decided that was too hard, and he heard about clothing. He knew, being Guatemalan that there was a demand for secondhand clothing. There was an opportunity there, and so he rented a car. I believe he had about thirty five thousand dollars in capital, and he just started driving around the US to thrift stores looking for clothing that he could export back to Guatemala. And I believe he drove around for three weeks until he found his first load in New Jersey. And so they started out importing clothes into Guatemala and wholesaling them to small pacas. And if you've ever been to Guatemala or Central America, you'll have recognized the pockets. They're just small stall street stalls, often with hand lettered signs, that are selling bundles of used, imported clothes. And so Mario thought, well, we'll just wholesale to them. And then one day, as he described it to me, the power bill came due and they needed cash fast, and so they basically opened their warehouse and said all comers come and buy clothes, and at the end of the day they'd made sixty six dollars. And as he said to me, I realized, then we're in the retail business, not the wholesale business. And so they started opening stores very slowly over the last twenty years that have become an absolute retail juggernaut across Guatemala and other Central American countries.
Speaker 1: So Adam, like you say, you went and saw this operation in Guatemala, can you describe it, because it's astonishing just how sophisticated it is.
Speaker 2: So when you walk into this warehouse, your first impression is chaos. I sometimes think of it as like popcorn popping, because you see garments flying everywhere and you're thinking, there's no order to this. But it's incredibly sophisticated. When a shipping container comes in, there's a first sort, that's what they call it, and it's just very basic. We're going to sort out the men's clothes from the women's clothes, from the children's clothes, from the shoes, and whatever trash is in there. Stuff that just can't sell that'll get sorted as well. Those are the new employees who do that. They're just learning the business. But the magic really starts happening in the second sort, and that's where you see how these thousands of garments that are coming through the system per hour really get divided and turned into a profitable business. So in the second sort, you have more experienced employees who can sort the men's genes from the women's long sleeve blouses from the children's trousers and they're doing hundreds Each of these employees are doing hundreds of these an hour, and when you watch it, I mean, it's kind of overwhelming. I felt exhausted. I don't know. I don't know how they do it and continue being able to stand and can concentrate. But they're very committed and they seem to really get some enjoyment about getting this right, in part because if they do well and they're being watched at all times for just the performance, they can make it to the pricing stage. And that's where Megapaca's very best, most experienced employees are, and it's where Megapaca really makes its money. That's where you have to figure out what each of these garments is going to be worth when it hits the racks. And that's not just somebody standing there saying, hmm, this looks like a five dollars blouse to me. What they're provided is computerized data on a screen in front of them that tells them what similar garments have sold for in Megapaca is now, as a few weeks ago, one hundred and twenty three stores across Central America plus the websites, and that gives them a range of prices. They can then take those prices and look at the condition of a specific garment and say this garment should be priced high on the continuum potential prices that this type of garment has sold at, and that pricing data is then fed back into the system and it's tracked to the store and they're judged on whether they hit it right. Is somebody going to pay that price? I mean, if you see five hundred gap T shirts over the course of a week, you know you're going to have a pretty good idea of where they wear, you know, And so they're looking at that stuff and then going right back to that algorithm printing out the price tag which has a QR code on it. That QR code when it goes to the shop, say in Guatemala City, will allow Megapakat to say, Okay, this kind of thing from Fargo North Dakota sells poorly in this store, but maybe that same kind of garment from Fargo North Dakota sells really well in a different Guatemalan megapaca. It's that detailed, it's incredibly sophisticated, and it's nothing like being in a popcorn popper, which is what I thought I was in what I walked in there the first time.
Speaker 1: You mentioned that shoes coming in is another lucrative part of the business, and you describe what happens to a shoe that arrives in their facility. Paint us a picture of that.
Speaker 2: What Megapac does is what a lot of small secondhand dealers I've seen in Mexico do, which is they upgrade them, they up value them. And the way you do that is you wash them. Well, it's one thing to be a small guy with a street stall, you know in Esquintola, Guatemala, who buys ten shoes a week and washes them clean. What Megapaca has is an entire washing line. It's on the second floor of the distribution warehouse, and it's incredible. You've got a little over a dozen employees who are receiving shoes that have scuff marks, maybe some of them are muddy. They've been donated to, you know, thrift stores in North America, in the United States, and they need to be cleaned up. In the space of two to three minutes, they are able at these wash basins to turn these use looking shoes into relatively new looking shoes. And it's profitable. As it was described to me, a wash shoe adds two to three dollars of value to that shoe, so it's really worth it for Megapaka to do this. And it's just one more example of how Megapaka is squeezing as much value as it possibly can from these closet it imports. But even more to the point from a sustainability standpoint, they're making them more attractive. They're turning the trash into treasure.
Speaker 1: So Adam, there's another dimension that you describe to their pricing system, which is once they've fixed this QR code and given it what they think is the proper price, it goes on the racks and then they start to see whether it sells.
Speaker 2: What Megapaca does is it employs what's called a Dutch auction, which is a Dutch auction is when you take an item and you drop the price until somebody buys it. And so what happens is a new garment goes on the rack and it's selling at one hundred percent the price that was affixed in the distribution warehouse with the QR code. After a week, if it doesn't sell at that price, it goes to another rack. Where it sells at ninety percent of the price a ten percent discount. If it doesn't sell after that, it goes to another rack. But this is a nine weeks cycle until you're left with what doesn't sell. But what's remarkable about this system is that everybody kind of gets their own price points. So the fashion forward Guatemala City lawyer who wants, you know, a nice new suit at a discount, they can go in there and buy Megapaca's price one hundred percent, and as the price comes down, you get different people buying the stuff till you get maybe to the ninety percent discount, which is towards the end, you know, where maybe it's farmers coming in from the hills around Guatemala City looking for the stuff at their price point. Megapaka claims that they are able to sell eighty percent of the stuff that comes in to their stores. Most secondhand retailers in the US only sell about a third of the stuff on their racks, So it's extraordinary and there's a lot packed into that, because you know, there is this feeling that there's so much new stuff going on the racks there that if you don't get into the store today or tomorrow, you're going to miss something. It won't make it to the twenty percent off side. So really it's there's that huge brand recognition that it's just so important, especially to Guatemalans who are looking for apparel.
Speaker 3: Like everyone, they like a good deal.
Speaker 1: That's Jose Rivera, he's Mega Paca's back office manager. He says the company puts a lot of attention on the store experience, both for customers and employees.
Speaker 3: You know, if you go to one of our stores, we always like look for the details. You know, it has to be well lit, we're organized, it has to smell well. If you go to the restroom, it's going to be a clean restroom. So just just part of the whole shopping experience. This has come just back to the beginnings that Maria and Gustavo always wanted to build a company that you wanted to come to work for. You know, it was funny, it was just not work. It was also an enjoyable experience. All of these are just extensions of the core values that are ingraining our company.
Speaker 1: Adam. So far, we've talked about how Mega Paka is taking advantage of the flow of clothes from the US into Guatemala where people really want to buy it. But now you right, the company has a whole different model for expanding, right.
Speaker 2: Mario Pania, who's the co founder of the company, has always been a very ambitious man. And once they had conquered Guatemala, if you will, right around the middle of the last decade, he told me that he sat down as partners, and I loved the phrase he used. He said, we can sit around and rub our bellies, or we can expand.
Speaker 1: Here's Jose Rivera again.
Speaker 3: This has always been an ongoing conversation since the beginning. They always had in their mind to have a big company, you know, so the natural step is always keep growing to the next country.
Speaker 2: And so over the last eight years they've expanded into Honduras. El Salvador in the southern part of Mexico. Certainly wasn't smooth. Anytime you've during an international expansion, there's challenges, but they feel that they've got that under control.
Speaker 1: And so Mario then.
Speaker 2: Got to the point where he's ready to exercise his true ambition, which is to be the world's largest retailer of second hand clothes. And as he said to me, the only way to do that is to achieve in the United States, you need to expand there and you need to own the US market.
Speaker 3: The US has always been like the Holy Grail, you know, like one day we're going to hit the US.
Speaker 2: And so that's what they're doing.
Speaker 1: After the break how Mega Paka intends to capture US customers. As we just heard, Megapaka is bringing its business to the US, and Adam says, for now, they're starting fairly small.
Speaker 2: The question always was how do you do this? You know, is Megapaca just going to go in open stores and Texas, in Utah and California, places which might be good markets for them. No, They've launched a US website just this month and they're going to see how it goes one. It's going to give them data on how people shop Mega Pakat in the US. Right now, the clothes that are going on the website in the US are clothes that would have gone to Guatemala. So it's one of the partners that they buy from in South Carolina. They are taking those clothes and they're basically diverting them into the US market instead of sending them down to Guatemala.
Speaker 1: Adam says that Megapaca has its eye on particular customers in the US.
Speaker 2: The people they're targeting are the millions of Central American migrants into the US, the Central American expats who've grown up with and grown to love megapaca megapacas.
Speaker 1: Jose Rivera explains it this way.
Speaker 3: We're going after the Latino market. You know, that's the biggest minority in the US, So we're just trying to give them a feel of home. You know, go to a store where they where there's someone that speaks their languages, that they have their music, people welcome you. That's what we're aiming at, not as specifically the markets that we already are based, but just the whole Latino market.
Speaker 2: If you go when you look for Megapaca marketing in the US right now, you're not going to find it. But if you want to go find Mega Pocket marketing about their US website in Guatemala, you'll have no problem finding it. Because what they're doing is they're going on WhatsApp and saying, Hey, tell your uncle in Texas that Mega Packet is in the US, and if you buy something, you get twenty five percent off a Guatemala Mega Pocket.
Speaker 3: The first thing that we started is We advertise it in the in Guatemala, Honduras and Alsabathers. You know, tell your relatives in the US that Megapaca is. It's there, and they can go to our webs and they and they can buy. We also have decals on our trucks. We also have advertising in our stores, and we're also advertising on social media in the US.
Speaker 1: I asked Rose Rivera where he sees the company headed in the US five years or ten years from now.
Speaker 3: So everything that we've been doing for years in the countries that we're at right now, it's been just like the preparing grounds for us to launch in the US. So this is the website just gives us a better idea where where a customer base is at. And if we're getting a lot of orders, let's say from La we know that that's where we we have to put a story. We get in a lot of orders from Houston, you know, from San Francisco, whatever those those orders are coming from, the well the majority of them, we know that that's a good place where that our customer base is at, and that's where we have to put the first stores.
Speaker 1: When we come back. What happens to all the clothes Megapaca isn't able to sell Adam, You're right about how the rise and fast fashion of these clothes that are so cheap, and of the moment that people in America buy them, where them a little bit, men just toss them aside, has given great momentum to this industry.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well we know this. There's very good data out there that Americans are wearing their garments lest they're wearing them fewer times and for shorter periods of time, and they're hitting the donation bins much quicker. What are those garments that are hitting the donation bins. It's cheap clothing, what we call fast fashion, as you allude to, and that has really driven the growth of the global second hand apparel industry, not just in Guatemala, but all over the world. Is created excess supply. And it's interesting because you know, it's not just the US where clothes are being thrown away at a great rate. The fastest going exporterer is actually China, which makes a lot of sense because Chinese consumers have access probably to more and more easily access fast fashion than anywhere else in the world, and they too are throwing it away. I mean, so you have this giant global churn of all this extra clothing. You have all this supply and it's ready made for demand.
Speaker 1: Adam, you said that some of the clothing that comes into the facility in Guatemala, despite all their care, can't be used and they have to throw it away. And even those items aren't necessarily destined for a landfill.
Speaker 2: No they're not. I mean. One of the exciting things about Megapaka is that they've also gotten into the clothing recycling business, and so they have an entire wing of their site and their company called Nova Fiber, and what they've done is imported European fabric recycling technology. So they'll take those unwanted garments and it's not just unwanted garments from the US. They are surrounded by new clothing manufacturers. They're factories all around them in Escuintala. They'll send their cuttings, unwanted pieces of fabric to Megapaka and Nova Fiber, and those scraps and unwanted clothing will become something called shoddy, which is this very low quality fabric mix that can be used and is used as insulation. It's used in mattresses as mattress padding, and in fact, Megapaka sells that it stores mattresses made with shoddy produced in the Nova Fiber facility, So they're really committed as much as possible to using everything that comes in and in fact, some of that shoddy has actually been sent back to the US. In fact, while I was there, their first shipment of shoddy to the US arrived at a company in Arizona. So you see the circularity happening between Guatemala and the US. It comes from the US, goes back to the US, and that's just going to grow.
Speaker 1: After reporting all about it and spending time with them, what's the thing that surprised you most about this operation?
Speaker 2: Well, I think the thing that surprised me most was the how algorithmically determined its pricing and its stores are. This is so far ahead of what other people are doing in the industry. I mean, you have very large secondhand retailers. For example, in Japan, book Off Corporation, which is a company I've spent a lot of time with. They're quite sophisticated, but they don't have this kind of algorithmically determined pricing. Goodwill is much larger than Megapaka, and they do some amazing things and they have their own challenges and their nonprofit, but they don't have this algorithmically determined pricing. And so if we can make this a more sophisticated operation, I think it raises the brand of secondhand.
Speaker 1: Adams was so interesting. Thanks for taking us along for the ride, Thanks for coming, Thanks for listening to us here at The Big Take. It's a daily podcast from Bloomberg and iHeartRadio. For more shows from iHeartRadio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen, and we'd love to hear from you. Email us questions or comments to Big Take at Bloomberg dot net. The supervising producer of The Big Take is Vicky Virgolina. Our senior producer is Catherine Fink. This episode was produced by Jilda Decarli and Sam Gebauer. Kilde Garcia is our engineer. Our original music was composed by Leo Sidrin. I'm West Kasova. We'll be back tomorrow with another Big Take.