Speaker 1: Welcome everyone to the Thursday edition of Fair Territory. I'm Ken Rosenthal here with my friend and colleague Alana Rizzo.
Speaker 2: Alana.
Speaker 1: Our friend and colleague Joel Sherman wrote a column I don't know about two weeks ago in which he was talking about the Red Sox and he was saying, man, it's a long season and we all forget it always, and the Red Sox for one example.
Speaker 2: The Blue Jays will talk about them. They're another. But the one we want.
Speaker 1: To start the show with is the San Diego Padres from the what yeah.
Speaker 3: The latest in terms of this right coming back from the dead. Tell me more.
Speaker 1: Well, they won fifteen of nineteen and if you remember mid June, mid June, not that long ago, six weeks ago, they were last in the National League and runs per game.
Speaker 2: Short time after that rotation was in tatters.
Speaker 1: Michael King, a guy who is really their mooth, solid starter, was kind of holding up the rotation.
Speaker 2: A number of their others were injured, of their starting.
Speaker 1: Pitchers or ineffective. Now they've traded for Robbie Ray, traded for Casey Miiz, Joe Musgrove is on his way back, and suddenly they are hitting again.
Speaker 2: Actually not so suddenly.
Speaker 1: This has been building and this run that they're on it started against Miami, Colorado and San Francisco, three teams that are not or at least at that time were struggling or not really in a place where you would say they're contending.
Speaker 2: But then even when.
Speaker 1: You thought, okay, the Padres are kind of doing it against weaker teams, their schedule got tougher and they started playing tougher teams. Split a series with Arizona two of three from Houston, and now they just have swept Milwaukee and here they are Tatis. Remember he had no homers. He's up to twelve homers. OPS is up to seven seventy three Merrill Jackson Merrill since July nineteen has been on fire. Three seventy six batting average, nine home runs, eleven hundred OPS. And Manny but Chado, while he's not really hitting seventy ten OPS, two hundred batting average in August, still has twenty three homers. So they look like the Padres again, even with all their injuries. And to me, it's impressive what they've done. And it's just another example, Alana, of a long season. So here we go, the San Diego Padres. They're back in the playoff mix. They're holding the second spot in the wild card race right now.
Speaker 2: Good for them.
Speaker 3: It's insane to think that Ken, we had written them off. Some people would have even used as sharpie and said that the San Diego Padres were done. But it is not to be. Let's talk about another team, or really another division that's interesting, and that is the AL East. Three of the best teams in the league all coming from that division. And Ken, it doesn't seem like the Rays have any thought of stopping anytime soon.
Speaker 1: No, and they're coming off nine to zero road trip, admittedly again against weaker or struggling teams it's Colorado, Seattle and the A's, but hey.
Speaker 2: You have to win the games in front of you.
Speaker 1: And we just saw Arizona lose two or three at home to Colorado, so it's not as easy as you think.
Speaker 2: And the Rays they have done this all season long.
Speaker 1: We've talked about this, and what's interesting to me is the effect that Liam Hicks seems to be having in a very short time since arriving from the Tampa sort.
Speaker 2: Of the Miami Marlins.
Speaker 1: Remember the Rays were talking about adding another hitter really could do it at any position.
Speaker 2: They wanted a compliment, a fourth compliment to.
Speaker 1: Their big three of Junior Caminero, Yondi Diaz and Jonathan Ronda.
Speaker 2: Hicks looks like he can be that guy. Now.
Speaker 1: I know it's a small sample, but he's eight for twenty six since the trade. He is a guy with two home runs, three doubles during that time ops about eleven hundred and yes, you'll say small sample, can well guess what a trade acquisition is design to help you over a small sample. Obviously, Hicks will be with the team beyond this season, but this is the boost that they were looking for. They've got Chandler Simpson hot as well. They're doing some really good things, and of course they have the pitching both at the back end of the bullpen and in the rotation. So the Rays, We've talked about this endlessly.
Speaker 2: They're not going away.
Speaker 1: They've got a huge lead in the AL East. They are the best team in the American League.
Speaker 3: Ken the Blue Jays are one of those teams we talked about in terms of being streaky again, kind of writing them off as many did with the San Diego Padres. But hang on because Toronto, Ken is saying, not so fast is their life. For these Blue Jays, there.
Speaker 1: Seems to be alta and it's shocking to see because this team is another one kind of like the Patres below expectations all season long, rotation battered by injuries.
Speaker 2: Still having problems in that regard you. Savage is now out.
Speaker 1: But they've won ten of their last fourteen game and a half back in the wildcard race, and they've gotten a real boost from brit Bateman, who came over in the Gossman trade, as well as Charles McAdoo at the top of their order. Vlad still does not have a home run at Rogers Center, and there's still questions in the rotation Beyond Cease and now Soriano, along with Schrzer and Bieber, there really is no fifth and one are injury more and they're gonna be in real trouble again with that rotation.
Speaker 2: But they're playing again the way we saw them play.
Speaker 1: Not so much in October, but down the stretch last season. In October they were on another level. But one and a half games back in the wild card you cannot rule them out. And it's been interesting to see this team evolve over the course of the season as well.
Speaker 3: I cannot believe Vladimir ger Junior does not have a home run yet this season at home. I will say this though, I just love saying Charles McAdoo. I love this kid's name. What a great baseball name. All right, as far as the Boston Red Sox are concerned, Ken, they were going on a meteoric tear going into the All Star break. Coming out of the All Star Break, they looked unbeatable. We never thought they were going to lose again. But not only did they lose again, Ken, They've dropped five straight. What's going on with them?
Speaker 1: Their offense is stalled a little bit. Wilson contraris a little bit banged up. I'm not terribly worried. And when you're as hot as they were, there is simply no way you can sustain that. We all knew this was coming to some degree. The good news for the Red Sox is that Roman Anthony seems to be on his way back. There's a chance Crochet could come back now. Whitlock is suddenly a concern. He's got an elbow problem. We'll know more about that as the day and perhaps the weekend goes on. But the Red Sox still are in a commanding position four and a half games up in the wildcard race, holding that lead over the third place team. So they're in a good spot and I don't expect them to go all the way backwards.
Speaker 2: But at the same time, this was coming.
Speaker 3: Yeah, all right, let's go to the National Leak or hot second. Well, actually I guess two teams, one in the NL, one in the AL the Phillies Field of Dreams game tonight against the Twins, Bryce Harper in right field. First of all, let's talk about the game itself. This is something that I absolutely love. It's the one thing in my career I've not been able to cover and not being able to attend, and I'm excited about that. I'd like your take on the Field of Dreams. And then what the heck is going on in terms of Bryce Harper and moving him back to the right, you know, to right field, and everything going on with the Phills.
Speaker 1: Well, I did the first two Field of Dreams games for Fox, and they've been on hiatus with this game for a couple of years now, and tonight it will be on Netflix, and I'm interested to see whether it kind of captures the magic of what it was.
Speaker 2: That first year.
Speaker 1: When the Yanes played the White Sox, that was amazing. The next year, I believe was Reds and Cubs not so amazing. The novelty kind of wore off.
Speaker 2: But here it is.
Speaker 1: Back after a few years away, and we'll see if it becomes again this big event that MLB wants it to be. A Phillies We talked about this at the deadline, when they got a rise and they started moving in field pieces all over the place. What was going to be the impact And one of the possibilities, certainly, was that Bryce Harper having to run a little bit more than he would at first base, maybe a lot more in right field. Who knows what that would mean to him, And obviously he's having a left knee issue. His quote was to Charlotte Farnes of the Athletic, I feel like I'm gonna spring training game with my arms.
Speaker 2: Legs, everything.
Speaker 1: He feels like he's going to be okay. He wants to play every game. I've noticed a lot of Phillies fans online saying, what are we doing? Why isn't Harper at first? Why isn't Boem on the bench? If you're going to play Bryce in Scott at third. There were easier ways to go about this. Now their outfield is very thin and they didn't really acquire an outfielders, so that was one problem with that idea. But I can see the point there, and it's going to be interesting to see at some point if they sacrificed in the outfield, which has been a problem all season. Put Harper back at first and say to Bohm, listen, you're going to be a part time player now. It maybe should have been what they did in the first place. Then you could have gone and signed Austin Hayes like the Padres did.
Speaker 2: I know the Phillies had him before, But there were ways out here.
Speaker 1: This is the path they chose, and it's a perilous path, there's no question about it.
Speaker 2: It's been that way from the very start.
Speaker 3: And ken Rice Harper was an outfielder and then he became a first baseman, then he was a DH then he was a first baseman, then he's an outfielder again. Now he's back, but his body is feeling it. He's feeling the change in terms of position. What do you make of that?
Speaker 1: Well, they're giving him some dhds, and they're going to continue to do that. But it's not surprising to me. I remember a lot of asking Mookie Betts about playing right field and going to shortstop, and he was telling me what a relief it was for him physically, and I was like, wook, what are you talking about? He goes, hey, man, you try running back and forth to the outfield nine times a game and then running around.
Speaker 2: In the outfield. It does take a toll. It's might sounds silly to fans.
Speaker 1: Because these guys are, of course, highly trained athletes, but it's more of a toll, there's no question about that. So it's not surprising that this is taking more of a toll on Harper, and they're going to have to find ways around it by diging him certain days and also maybe by revising this plan.
Speaker 4: Science experiment. For the one minute, we have to tell you about why we love Quint's electrolytes, including watermelon salt, raspberry salt. And I'm holding a citrus salt, just opened it and to pour some powder into my water, shake it up, and AJ, why do you love it?
Speaker 5: I love Quints because after a long night out, a long day at the gym, a long walk in this Florida humidity. It tastes great and it gives me all the electrolytes I need. Why sugar free Steavy a free Keto approve and taste sweet because of that delicious fermented rice.
Speaker 4: It does taste really good. I'm drinking it right now while we talk about it. It's also made in the USA, rigorously third party tested. Give your body what it really needs to stay hydrated. Go to Quinns dot com slash foul for free shipping on your order and three sixty five day returns. That's q u i Ncee dot com slash foul for free shipping and three sixty five day returns quins dot com slash foul. These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.
Speaker 3: On Deck is presented by the Fox One app appreciate the partnership with Fox one. Ken you have Brewers at the Dodgers Saturday on Fox Jacob Mazerowski versus Justin Robleski potentially a Battle of the All Stars. What are you looking forward to?
Speaker 1: Battle of the All Stars, Battle of the skis. If only aj Prazinski was in the booth voted.
Speaker 2: But what I'm looking forward to, of course, is seeing the Miz.
Speaker 1: But Rubeleski has been a guy for the Dodgers all year long who has quietly just been excellent. So the Miz is going to command all the attention, and rightly so. He's at two hundred plus strikeouts already. It's incredible what he is doing, throwing a million miles an hour, all of that, and we're gonna have him on the broadcast. Smolts will be in the booth. Smoltz is always a great win it comes to starting pitchers. I'm interested to hear his analysis as this game goes on of Jacob Misrawski, and interested to see as well how these two teams fare in this series. The Brewers are coming off getting swept in San Diego. Now the Padres are red hot right now and the Brewers kind of got in their way and that was that. And the Brewers are dealing with some injuries as well on the left side of their infield. But they've been a remarkable team all year and their manager Pat Murphy said yesterday, Hey, we've got the most wins in baseball. There's a reason for that. And even when you have the most wins in baseball doesn't mean that struggles are impossible. Doesn't mean that they're not going to happen. And we've seen this and again it goes back to the long season. Long season stuff happens. So the Brewers will be looking to bounce back against the Dodgers. The Dodgers just got their gift playing three against the Kansas City Royals and sweeping them.
Speaker 2: To end their one and eight slide.
Speaker 1: So it's two teams kind of trying to get back into gear. But remember the calendar says it's only mid August.
Speaker 3: Yeah, August twelve. Patmnfree was stated, as you mentioned, Ken, you're still going to go through tough times like this. MLB on Fox is streaming on Fox one the Race to October. It starts now and we have your front row seat to the wildest walkoffs, lights out pitching, and clutch plays all season long. Follow every camp miss matchup as team's battle for a spot in the postseason. Then stream the twenty twenty six World Series live on Fox one at home or on the go, live or on demand. Never miss a moment. Stream now start your Fox one three day free trial today at foxwe dot com. All right, we're making our way right in to Grill and Ken your opportunity, of course, to ask Ken Rosenthal some questions. Let's talk about the Cubs and the Cardinals, and then of course White Sox, Mariners and d Backs up next. But let's talk the first question Ken, in terms of Mike g fifteen has just got here. L Oh, yeah, what did I miss? Are we talking about how the Cubs are on an absolute wagon? Mike wants to know, Ken, what do you make of these Cubs and Alex Bregman and his three home runs?
Speaker 1: Mike, glad you asked, because we haven't talked about the Cubs and we should be talking about the Cubs.
Speaker 2: Guess what, they are only three games.
Speaker 1: Behind the Brewers right now. They won I believe eight of nine. Their offense again is on fire.
Speaker 2: And I remember it.
Speaker 1: Was about a week ago, either on foul territory or fair territory. I was asked, can the Cubs catch the Brewers? And I said I probably not leave. The deficit was six or six and a half at that time, and you just do the math. It's not that easy to do but they have games left with the each other, and these are teams that are going to be battling, perhaps to the end. But we'll see if the Cubs can sustain this, because remember, they've had their highs this year and they've been extreme, and they've also had some extreme lows. So I don't rule anything out in this division race. And the Brewers, they've got some things going on, as I said, with injuries right now, they're a little bit dicey for them. But I love what the Cubs did at the deadline, and maybe that is the impetus they needed to catch Milwaukee in at en El central Ken.
Speaker 3: We haven't talked much about the Brewer or excuse me, of the Mariners. We've talked a lot about the Brewers. But of the Mariners. Lance Johnson fifty oh four would like to ask you, Seattle fire Scott Service because of their lack of hitting, will they do the same to Dan Wilson? How much of a leash does he have?
Speaker 1: I don't know, And I will say to Lance Johnson five four that question has crossed my mind. Now it's late in the season for a managerial change, but they fired their third hitting coach, A couple of weeks ago, Bobby Magga yan that didn't do the trick, and it was kind of a silly move anyway, You're firing your third hitting coach, your assistant to the assistant. You got Edgar Martinez up top, you got Kevin Sitzer right after that, and Bobby Banging.
Speaker 2: Honest was after him. That didn't do it. But this team does look like it needs a kick in the rear. Now.
Speaker 1: I don't know that fire and the manager would do it, but it's a really interesting question right now where the Mariners are going with this and what happens to Dan Wilson. Maybe not right away, but at the end of the season if they do not pick it up, and we've been waiting for them to get hot all year long.
Speaker 3: Cal Rawley not hitting perhaps a reason for that too. Ken, Marvizelten wants to ask you, Ken, do you think there will be more off season activity like trades and signings before or after the CBA gets settled.
Speaker 1: If settled, I would say both. And the real question will be November. And we know that the CBA expires December first, and we know in twenty twenty two the last time the sport.
Speaker 2: Was in this situation.
Speaker 1: There was a flurry of activity right before the lockout started on December first. The guy I've been thinking about here is Scooble, because if you're Schooble, it probably want to sign before we have any kind of new system in place.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: The new system is not going to take effect immediately if indeed it's a cap system, and even if it's not, we might have some grandfathering in. I would think if they kept the current luxury tax plan in place then it wouldn't be like that.
Speaker 2: But either way, it.
Speaker 1: Might behoove Schooble to act sooner rather than later. And his agent, Scott Bores, is not one who always moves quickly, but in certain periods does so that's the one to watch. I would say there has a chance, a good chance of happening, perhaps before December first.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I would like if I'm Schooble, to lock down that big contract as soon as possible, certainly before a lockout. Along the same lines of a lockout can armand our friend is amazing wants to know with the recent sale of the Lakers obviously twelve billion dollars, which is bananas and MLB owners seeing that price and drooling over it. What percentage would you put the entire twenty twenty seven season as locked out? And is there a correlation in your mind?
Speaker 1: Certainly MLB owners have looked at the NBA and NFL valuations of the franchises and been jealous.
Speaker 2: For lack of a credit's round. They've been envious of that situation.
Speaker 1: Now, the Yankees just were valued at ten over ten billion, So I don't know that it's as dire as circumstance as you would think. But certainly MLB owners are quite worried about their franchise valuations.
Speaker 2: That's why they want a salary cap.
Speaker 1: That's the number one reason they can talk about competitive balance all they want.
Speaker 2: Now, do I think.
Speaker 1: The twenty twenty seven season will be entirely missed?
Speaker 2: I do not think that.
Speaker 1: I think that would be the height repeat the height of stupidity as time when the sport is experiencing a renaissance. Are the owners capable of that kind of conduct when they're intent on getting a salary cap?
Speaker 2: Absolutely they are capable of it. But at some point, cooler heads must prevail.
Speaker 1: And there are a lot of implications from television contracts to fan discontent to all kinds of things that would happen if you miss an entire season. Sport would come back, but it would take some time, and your franchise valuations might suffer a little bit in the process.
Speaker 3: I absolutely love that the height of stupidity. You my friends are absolutely right. All right. We crowned dude and dork of the week.
Speaker 2: Next I'm the dude, So that's what you call.
Speaker 3: Me, all right, Ken? I know somebody in the chat who already is going to agree with your pick of dude of the week, Christian A. Three. Why don't you tell everybody, Ken, who you're due to the week is?
Speaker 2: It is Alex Frigman of the Chicago Cubs. Three homer game last night.
Speaker 1: His ops is up to seven point fifty eight, and we've been talking about it the entire show.
Speaker 2: It's a long season, and.
Speaker 1: It's started off for Alex Bregman not so great. You often see this when a free agent signs a big contract with a new team. It is not always easy for that player to get going right away.
Speaker 2: It's a big transition. We see it time and time again. Gregman is a guy who is as serious about his craft as any player in the major leagues.
Speaker 1: He can overthink it at times, perhaps, and I'm sure he was in his head a little bit while he was struggling in the first half.
Speaker 2: But he is back. The three homer game proved it, and he again is the dude of the week for me.
Speaker 3: Alex Bregman very studied. He is a guy that absolutely pays attentions, always trying to get better, always studies. Obviously, congrats on getting more than ten years of service time for Alex Bregman this season. My dude of the week is a couple of pitchers. I'm going to start with Dean Kramer throwing seven innings of one run, one hit ball against your longtime team Can nine days after they traded you away. That had to feel pretty darn good for him. And I'm also going to give an honorable mention. I know you're gonna roll your eyes to Blake Snell just because he came off the il, hasn't pitched since May ninth. He's always a second half pitcher. He wants to take half the season off. Good for him. Six innings, three hits, one earned run, one walk. But the ten punchies Can That's why Blake Snell gets an honorable mention for me. All right, time now for the dork of the week. Ken, You and I are in agreement upon this, and I will let you go first, because this was absolutely bananas before.
Speaker 1: Out fiasco in Toronto involving the Red Sox and the Blue Jays. Now, initially my thought was the Red Sox players, the two guys on base who forgot the number of outs there were or didn't know the number of outs there were, Well, that's on them, but the scoreboard.
Speaker 2: Showed two outs.
Speaker 1: They were kind of obviously not totally aware. But it was a confusing situation for them. But they're not the dorks of the week for that alone. There was so much going on. There was so much Dortom and John Boy in his latest video it's fifteen minutes long, he detailed.
Speaker 2: It all and it shows.
Speaker 1: He shows in that video that the Blue Jays could have avoided this whole mess by throwing to third base instead of first base for the fourth out of the inning or end, as well the umpire by signaling and waving the run off. Initially, that caused confusion, so everybody on the field seemed to be confused. Now, in fairness to everyone involved, I don't know how many of.
Speaker 2: Us knew this rule.
Speaker 1: I certainly didn't, and a lot of people fans people in the game didn't really know it that well either, or the entire sequence that involved these rules. So I'll give it a little bit of a break to everyone involved. But you can't just blame the Red Sox, you can't just blame the Blue Jays, you can't just blame the OMPs.
Speaker 2: Everybody had a role in this fiasco.
Speaker 3: Ken, I'm in agreement with you. They also are my dorks of the week, a lot of dorkdom as you put it. I was sitting there watching this unfold in real time, and I was watching it with Chris, and he was like, wait a minute, shouldn't the players know how many outs are going in the inning right now? Because he was he also said, you're always told the scoreboard isn't right, Like, don't pay attention to the scoreboard, Like you always have to be mentally in the game, because that type of stuff happens, right, whether it was an individual that accidentally put two outs up on the scoreboard, or whether it was an automatic system or however it went down, you can't always rely on the scoreboard, right so it would behoove you to make sure you know what's happening in terms of being in the game. I think the only person in real time that kind of was spot on with the rule was Lumor LONEI of the Nessen broadcast. He seemed to be able to break it down before the seventeen other explanations of what was happening. I certainly didn't know what was going on, but you would think that the players on the field would have a better sense of how many outs were in the game. But Ken, before we let you go, it is official Garrett Whitlock is on the IL for Boston with that elbow inflammation, and they have recalled Greg Weissert from Triple A. So how concerned should they be in terms of Whitlock's arm issue.
Speaker 2: Anytime it's an elbow, you have to be concerned. It's as simple as that. And I don't know what this means for him. Maybe it's a short term thing, but again, elbows are a.
Speaker 3: Problem, all right, Ken, Great to be with you as always. That is it for us here on Fair with Ken Rosenthal. Foul Territory is coming up next. A. J. Pierzinski, Kevin Palar are your host, Brit Girley Geroli is going to be on Chandler Room will be on Plus. Rangers reporter Sean McFarland fair returns on Monday. Have a great weekend. Everybody looking to take your MLB action to the next level this season, Boosted Odds are here to crank up every pitch, swing and home run bet. MGM is hooking you up with your very own MLB Odds Boost token to get things started all season long. Just add any MLB bet to your bet slip, activate your Odds Boost token and lock it in. If your bet hits, you're catching out with an even bigger payout gambling problem called one eight hundred gambler or one eight hundred my Reset