Speaker 1: Welcome to the solid verbal. Call that for me. I'm a man, I'm for I've heard so many players say, well, I want to be happy, you want to be happy for Dake Edith state is that woo woom and Dan and tie welcome back to the solid verbal, Boys and girls. My name is Ty Hildebrand, joining me as always my good friend over there in New York City, My man Dan Rubinstein, Sir, how are you? I'm pretty good, I'm not bad.
Speaker 2: Setting up the new home apartment studio coming along, and I say, I've got a thing to build later to store everything, sort of a cubby wall unit.
Speaker 1: So now, hold on, hold on. Last time we spoke of this very issue. Yes, I believe you were in a closet of some sort, weren't you.
Speaker 2: I'm no longer in the closet. No right, I can come out and say that there has been more work done to the point where there is a rug down on the ground, there is some soundproof foam up on the walls, and there's actual light in this room because it was a room that didn't come pre installed with the light. So I have a sweet ikea pole lamp. You need motion in place. No life is good Tai Life is good. I'm gonna go for a run after this because the sun is out, the sun.
Speaker 1: Is out, the guns are out here in the east. Congratulations to everyone who was able to outlast the winter. I think we're finally through the woods. Although it did snow here yesterday, yes, which is not that as terrible. So what are we talking about on today's show, Dan? What are we talking about here? We are doing?
Speaker 2: We have Q and A and related to some timely topics and some super untimely topics. So we have what the NFL Draft is in eight days from when we're recording this Wednesday evening right correct, and we have spring football. Most it turns out most games were canceled. I just how Michigan's was like, they're just cancelations, which is fine, fewer people hurt probably, and just we're gonna look forward to the season. Maybe a couple quarterback battles, and we don't have I don't think a lot of in depth thoughts about the draft as non NFL fans.
Speaker 1: Right, that is accurate? I would say, yeah, very so.
Speaker 2: I think we're going to try and take a look at this, and I mean we can react to we've had these NFL draft experts as much as anybody can be one on the show before to sort of say, hey, this is how this person progressed, and this is why this person is considered to be a top twelve pick or a top three round pick.
Speaker 1: Whatever. But you know, we can react to like, oh, they're a first round pick. Weird, didn't seem that way. But we can just sort of scan through it real quick, and then we have a ton of questions that we can probably get to about fifteen percent of them. That sounds good. Again. Our email is Solid Verbal at gmail dot com. We had questions come in via email, also from Twitter, from Facebook, we had some from Reddit if I saw correctly as well, So a bunch of different sources of questions here on the program. Don't forget. If you're finding us for the first time, can subscribe out on iTunes or Spotify, Google Play, anywhere where you can find a podcast, you can find us. We're the Solid Verbal and what else Oh thenewsolid Verbal dot com. Yeah, stay tuned for that. At some point over the next couple weeks and months, we got more shirts that will be forthcoming again weeks and months. Stay tuned right here to the show the Solid Verbal. We're a college football show that goes year round, and there was a ton of interest. By the way, well, we mentioned on the last show that we were going to be doing our next live show in the Midwest in Chicago some point early to mid August. We had some great suggestions come into the inbox. It seems like there's a ton a ton of steam on this live show that we're going to put forth in August our next Fantasy Things Draft in Chottown, Dan.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So if anybody listening has ideas or knows people like we are interested in hearing about venues because we want it to be the absolute best possible situation. We want there to be food and drink. We're thinking, I don't know about three hundred people. We like to keep it sort of intimate, but yeah, we want to have a great venue central everybody can get to know a PA system of stage, that kind of thing, the basics.
Speaker 1: So we're looking for venues for that.
Speaker 2: We're trying to figure out if we can add a second show in another city, either before the season starts or within the season at some point. Sure, as we know, listeners are spread out everywhere, but no that's the situation, Ty. We're just living our best lives.
Speaker 1: Living our best lives. Again, tell your friends. Solibble dot com is our website. Come on out, subscribe. We'll be here all off season, and obviously once we get a little bit closer to the football season, we'll have more football to discuss. But as you mentioned, we got this whole draft thing, yes, staring us in the face. Now. As you know, if you follow these sorts of things, it's a weird hybrid. It's a crossover of sorts. For us, we've at times ruggled with how in depth we want to get with the NFL Draft. There is clearly a stake in the game for a college football film because as these players move forth and prosper in the professional ranks, oftentimes we're very interested to see how those players perform, see how high up they go. There's certainly plenty of intrigue when it comes to the NFL Draft, with teams moving around and sometimes overvaluing and undervaluing, and it's a whole different dimension. But we're going to try and do our best to cover it. Here. We've got in front of us the Daniel Jeremiah Mock Draft. Yes from NFL dot Com, and I guess the plan would be to go through to examine some of these players to the best of our abilities, not from an in depth standpoint of how much can Saquon Barkley squad, but instead what did we see in college do we think that translates to the NFL? And what do we think the likelihood is of some of these guys succeeding at the same level or to a greater as they move on.
Speaker 2: In a very certain way. And I do not mean this in a crassway, which I really if you're going to listen to our show consistently, you should listen to it within the back of your head saying Dan does not mean this in a crassway. The NFL draft and the way we in that you know, people interested in football on all levels evaluate players is not unlike if ty, if you were just dropped into a different town and we're tasked with finding a soulmate every year, you have to sort of you know, if you're in a tiny town all of a sudden, what you may be looking for might be different than if you were dropped into a major city or a medium sized town. Like there is a context to each draft class, which is interesting to me because the most important position obviously is quarterback. So we're looking at a quarterback class which is I would say, pretty robust, pretty deep this year compared to some other years.
Speaker 1: There's a ton of intrigue at the very top of it.
Speaker 2: Yes, there's intrigue at the top, and then you know it's spotty from there. From what I can tell as a definite non expert, but like Sam Donald is somebody who I think we liked watching for a long time, and obvious talent and athletic and improvises super well, made a good number of dumb mistakes trying to do too much whatever is thought of to be the most valuable person in this draft. Yes, by some measures, by some measures, by some measures, the position is so important. Let's put this way in terms of quarterbacks, right, you definitely make that case. But I've also heard the case made for Saquon Barkley. I've heard the case made for Quentin Nelson, I've heard the case made for Bradley Chubb, all of whom are very good players in their own right. But you're correct, at least to the extent that as it relates to quarterbacks, Sam Donald is getting a lot of the press. I can't make a good argument that Sam Donald isn't the best quarterback in this class. You know, and you know Baker Mayfield is a little bit small, and they wonder how Lincoln Riley's system, which has elements of NFL systems but not all NFL systems, how that translates to the next level. Josh Rosen has thought of to be the most advanced quarterback brain in terms of understanding and computing. But then there's weird worries that he's too smart, right, and then Lamar Jackson might be a receiver. If you listen to the worst people who cover the sport, Josh Allen didn't complete a ton of passes.
Speaker 1: Well's in the Mountain West. Let's do this. Let's start a quarterback. Okay, yeah, the big names that are out there, The Browns draft number one. Now, we're not going to break down what teams need, because neither you nor I are NFL experts, but we know that the Browns are drafting one. They actually have the fourth pick as well, at least as of now. And the names that you're going to hear, I think that are in contention for that first overall pick. It sounds like they want a quarterback. Maybe not right. The I guess insinuation at this point is that they want a quarterback. Sam Darnold is a name. We've also got Josh Allen, who has been bullied throughout the pre draft process from Wyoming. We've also got Josh Rosen, who has long been my favorite from UCLA. We've got Baker Mayfield, who has crept into that conversation as well. Who am I missing? There's also Lamar Jackson, who won't go that high but is still a name that carries with a bunch of intrigue. Of those guys that I have named Dan, which direction would you go based on what you saw in college? If you were picking number one.
Speaker 2: Overall, I'd probably go Rosen. Why I don't love Sam Darnold of these five guys? To me, like that indefinable thing seems to rest with Donald's in that he seems relatively trustworthy to just sort of get a team together for a seventy one yard drive at the end of the game. But in terms of what the NFL will throw at quarterbacks, which is far more advanced athletically and mentally than the college game, I tend to think Rosen and even maybe Mayfield. I really like Baker Mayfield. I like that fearlessness, I like that arm I like you know, the throwing off platform is like a big thing that you'll hear about him. But I really am a big believer in those two dudes, just in terms of ready to succeed.
Speaker 1: It's interesting to me because I think each of them has an interesting quality. Yeah, I don't know if any of them are fully rounded enough to truly be the number one overall pick. But Sam Donald has an intangible to him. There's no denying he's got an intangible. Everyone who's around him likes him. He certainly would be a good clubhouse guy, and he's got a ton of physical tools. The problem that we talked about on the program all throughout the course of the last season is when the first read broke down, so did Sam Darnald. That was the problem. Okay, and maybe is partially his fault, partially the play call in the coaching, I don't know, but that is the knock on Darnold. Josh Rosen, as you said, a smart kid, really smart, has a ton of physical tools, but a little bit brittle was banned up a little bit in college and there aren't these lingering questions about like, what would what would happen to Josh Rosen if he ended up in Buffalo? What you can also what would happen to any of us if we ended up in Buffalo? Well, right, and no disrespect to Buffalo, but you can only study the Eerie Canal and Buffalo Wings so long before a guy like Josh Rosen, who it seems like wants to be intellectually stimulated before he gets bored and wants to do something else. I like that that's looked at as a bad thing. Well it's not a bad thing, but I'm saying Josh Rosen just seems to kind of have a wandering mind that's into everything, and the knock on him is is maybe it's not into football quite enough. Rightly or wrongly, that's what people say.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean they try to find things. I mean to sort of take into consideration what NFL scouts do in terms of poking holes. I don't think there's a lot of logic at no.
Speaker 1: I mean, it's splitting hairs. The ultimate game is splitting here. So that's Rosen, Baker Mayfield. What's a knock on Baker. What he runs runs a little bit of hot, sometimes a little bit of a wild card, maybe a little undersized. How does the Lincoln Riley system, the Lincoln Riley slash Bob Stoops system translate to the college game? Sure, I think that's all fair game. And Josh Allen's kind of an unknown. I saw some stuff on Twitter about, Hey, let's talk about Josh Allen and how he likes to always roll out to the right m hm. And what we saw from him last year wasn't all that special.
Speaker 2: He was probably not one of the best three quarterbacks in the Mountain West in terms of production.
Speaker 1: So I guess to put a bit of an ambiguous and uncertain bow on this thing. I don't know if i'd take any one of these guys if I were picking number one overall. I think if I had to pick a quarterback though, of that group, I would probably go Darnald. I think Darnald might have the highest ceiling of all of those.
Speaker 2: Maybe throws it to a lot of players wearing a different color jersey than what he's wearing.
Speaker 1: But perhaps Gunslinger Dan Gunslinger.
Speaker 2: I'll go through this quickly because I don't this is not going to relate to any NFL team. I would not take a running back in the top five, probably even the top ten. Saqwon Barkley is otherworldly, and it's not because he's not. I just am not a big believer in that kind of value for somebody who takes a hit on every play he touches the ball. I love Vidavea. I think vidave is going to be a really good player for a long time. If you haven't watched him play huge nose tackle for Washington, who is crazy athletic and huge motor really at like three hundred and forty pounds. Mika Fitzpatrick I think is a very modern NFL player in that he is hybrid, can come up in the slot, can play outside a corner, can drop into a safety role. Really like Miga Fitzpatrick, I Derwin James, I think we both have just deep, deep crushes on time. He's top fifteen, top twenty ish in this mock he is at seventeen, but he fits that as well.
Speaker 1: That hybrid guy still my beating heart.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's there's a lot of that people trying to because from what I can understand, the NFL is they try to copy year to year and Jalen Ramsey has this huge, huge impact as this super versatile defensive back, and there are a couple of guys in this year draft that have that potential to be able to be moved around.
Speaker 1: I suppose.
Speaker 2: Beyond that, there's not you know, Sony Michelle is the last pick in this in this mock love Sony Michelle feels about right, But yeah, I tend to gravitate towards and this is the big one I suppose is Quentin Nelson. Okay, Quentin Nelson just a wrecking ball of destruction of.
Speaker 1: A young man.
Speaker 2: And I love when people are described as who he plays angry.
Speaker 1: He's got a nasty does play angry.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he was a total joy to watch. And you know, perhaps not single handedly, but a good reason why Josh Adams had the breakout year that he did last year, because that left side of the line for Notre Dame, as I'm sure you know and will deeply miss, was was pretty incredible.
Speaker 1: It was incredible. And one thing that I'm noticing here again the Daniel Jeremiah mock draft that we've got up from NFL dot Com. He's got Mike mcglinchy who was the tackle on the left side of that line for Notre Dame all the way down at number twenty one to the Bengals. Now, McGlinchey was a guy. Depending how much attention you pay to these mock drafts, at some point or another he was in many a top ten. I like McGlinchey a lot. I think he will be solid at the pro level. I also am somewhat scarred from the last play in the Georgia game where he just got toasted around the edge. He did. And you know, there were a couple moments like that in Mike mcglinchy's season and really his Notre Dame career where again eight percent of the time, very solid pro caliber player on the end of your line. A big deal to have that in the college game, a big deal to have that at any level of the game. Just a couple moments here and there were mcglinchy just got iced and I can't live those down. And when I see him down here at twenty one, I say to myself, out, that's about right. You got to go Quentin Nelson higher because you didn't have as many of those moments. If you're Quentin Nelson compared to Mike mcglinch, right.
Speaker 2: He generated those moments for other people exactly on the other side of them, exactly exactly.
Speaker 1: So both those guys, to your point, will sorely be missed when it comes to the twenty eighteen Notre Dame football season that goes, can we sing? Can we transition from there? Who's coming for Notre Dame?
Speaker 2: Who's hitting the left side of that line? And who is coaching that they lost their offensive line coach? Correct, lost kind of everybody, man, right, So is are the prospects and my prospects, I mean looking forward? Are are we thinking good things about Notre Dame's offensive line in replacing these two clear top level talents on a decent level.
Speaker 1: The good news is that they've recruited very well, okay along on the offensive line, So you know, whether it's Liam Eichenberg or Josh Lugger some of the other guys that got coming in, they'll be okay. They just won't be as experienced up front, and it's gonna be difficult to follow up the act of mcglinchy and Nelson. Even if mcglinche got toasted a couple of times, it's still a tough act to follow. He was a big dude, a big presence there on the left side of the line. And especially now when I think you got questions about your quarterback situation, Brandon Wimbush didn't little comfortable at all last year. Is Wimbus gonna start? You're gonna have to give me a few minutes before we discuss that point. Come on, I kind of don't want him to start, but will he I got to a point about eighty percent of the way through the year when I started really having these conversations with myself about whether or not Wimbush was the answer. When Wimbush was recruited and when he ultimately flipped from Penn State to come to Notre Dame, and then when he was lurking in the background as you had this whole controversy going on between Deshaun Kaiser and Malik Zayer, everyone was sort of talking on the Notre Dame boards that I lurk on about how Brandon Wimbush could make all the throws. He's the athletic type that can run the precise system that we thought Notre Dame wanted to run, and things should all just go off without a hitch. Whenever he's inserted into that starting lineup, and then all throughout the course of the season last year and the beginning part of the season, everyone was telling me, don't jump the gun. Don't jump the gun. He's a first time starter at the college level. If he's not doing what you'll want him to do, it's because he's just he's green, Dan, he's learning the system. I can honestly say, I don't feel like Wimbush got any better from the start of the year to the end of the year. In spots, he had moments right, moments are brilliant, but he did not get better from the start of the year to the end of the season.
Speaker 2: Well, here's I mean the actual context, though, You're only as good as your options and our Notre Dame's options. At a point where you can get rid of a guy who helped to lead a good or pretty good offense, just a flawed offense.
Speaker 1: He gives them something on the ground for sure, that Ian book doesn't right. Brandon Wimbush, no doubt a talented runner, but eventually teams figured that out. Dan. Eventually people can key on that, and we saw that happen in spots when they forced Brandon Wimbush to throw. He just never looked comfortable. More often than not, he just did not seem comfortable or he wanted to scramble, and that was the problem with him. So ian Book gives them more in terms of raw passing talent at this point, and we saw flashes here and there of ian Book. I thought he looked fine as a passer. He certainly plays with the confidence in the passing game that Wimbush didn't. That is, I think something to watch for as we start talking quarterback controversies now moving into twenty eighteen. The other name I'll throw in there is Phil Jerkovic, who is there. Freshman comes to Notre Dame from Western Pennsylvania, and I didn't read much about him getting any serious looks for the starting position, but I could definitely envision a situation and wish that were the case.
Speaker 2: That's if you are going to roll with a true freshman, if there is no smoke around him at least like, oh, he picked up the offense immediately, he has a contender for this job in the way that say Trevor Lawrence. Immediately you know there was smoke around him, and he had a the spring game doesn't actually matter. But in terms of just like if those stories don't really exist, it almost assuredly won't happen.
Speaker 1: Here's the problem. Now, that's okay, freshmen shouldn't be starting most of the time. Here's the problem I have, and then let's move on. No one wants this much Notre Dame talk, except for like five percent of our listeners. But listen as I raise my hand right, here is the problem that I have, really with my own gut instinct. Here, Yeah, the main reason that I sort of want Notre Dame to move away from Brandon Wimbush is because I was very disgruntled with Brandon Wimbush, and not because I know for certain there is somebody with equal or greater skill set working behind him. The only quarterback on that depth chart that we have any data on is Ian Book, and I'm not totally convinced he's much better than Wimbush, but he's something different. And just because I was so frustrated last year with the old starting quarterback is probably not reason enough to just move in any damn different direction, whether it's Book or Drkovic.
Speaker 2: So at the top of the draft, Sam Darnold in this mock obviously gone from USC, and there's no clear successor for the Trojans. So it was Matt Fink and Jack Sears battling it out during the springtime, and then JT. Daniels, the five star incoming freshman who enrolled early at USC. He shows up over summer, and I cannot imagine a situation which USC is just going to roll with what should be a high school senior at a time for USC that, even though they are rebuilding, reloading whatever they've obviously recruited very very well. I can't imagine putting that much on a true freshman who was not there for spring that that hope has to last either into the season to give him time to pick up the offense or as a red shirt freshman something that doesn't. It doesn't seem fair to put that much weight on him.
Speaker 1: Why what if he's better.
Speaker 2: I don't know how you can be better unless Sears and Fink, who are who seems solid like they seem like a Cody Kessler model type quarterback, which is fine for USC. I just don't know how you roll the dice on that. I don't I don't know what.
Speaker 1: Will it take in this USC offense to get more consistency and take the team to higher levels than we've seen.
Speaker 2: So Jeremy Prue at Tennessee hired away I think his name is Tyson Helton, who called some of the plays. There was a weird breakdown of like one offensive coordinator called some plays the other with him and tem Martin calling other plays. So maybe more consistency of play calling just because it's from one person presumably and relying on they've got two to three I'm you know, they're obviously without the what's it the Texas Tesla Ronald Jones that's in the draft, but they've got good options at running back to go two or three deep offensive line looks new ish for USC, so I would imagine it is recognizing that it's okay to lean on the running backs and to think about things in a more play action way. And because their receiving corps was not all that good last year outside of uh, what's the name Deontay Burnett, they were just not all that consistent, So maybe there's just more development coming. I would imagine it is just getting more creative with the run game and asking the quarterback to do less until the quarterback is ready okay, elsewhere we mentioned Saquon Barkley, Miles Sanders.
Speaker 1: Saquon Barkley. Yeah, in this mock draft, here is Daniel Jeremiah's second pick going to the Giants, which I must say, as a Giants fan thrills me. Gives me some shivers as a longtime Giants fan. As a Penn State grad, Saquon I think would be a great pick, and we can discuss the merits of that. But yeah, we're talking Miles Sanders as the replacement. I feel okay about that setup, to be honest, and no one's going to be Saquon, But if you truly look game by game, they are only a handful of games really where Saquon was like up over one hundred yards. That offense was prolific enough even without him, which is crazy to say, But they still have Trace mcsorly, and I think as mcsorly goes, so does that Penn State offense. So whether it's Miles Sanders or and I don't know, Mark Allen is.
Speaker 2: Another name, Tommy Stevens shovel passes Tommy Stevens. I think they're gonna be just fine and get plenty of production from that spot. Regardless of who's carrying the rock. Fair enough, we'll skip down a little bit. Denzel Ward the corner for Ohio State. You're gonna be shocked to learn this, but Ohio State has recruited corner super duper well yeah, and should not find too many troubles. Jeffrey Okuda got some time last year. He's a former five star. Kendall Sheffield's in there. They will be fine at at corner. And even with losing what it's Taekwon Lewis, Sam Hubbard as just crazy pass rushers, Nick Bose is still there, Chase Yong. They have so much talent that the job of corner at Ohio State is one of the you know, this is all relative but easy considering how quickly quarterbacks have to get rid of the ball. Generally speaking against this defense, we talked about Notre Dame and the offensive line. Quentin Nelson replacing some Irish up front. Rokwan Smith at Georgia was everything on the middle tier of that defense. And we'll need to be you know, as a three four down linebacker. If you remember, Natrez Patrick was suspended before the playoff after the SEC championship game for I think it was a pot arrest or a pot charge. He's been reinstated and people feel good about him stepping in there. Do you know how many defensive backs Alabama loses that basically started last year A ton five? Yeah, five defensive backs because they played that you know, sort of strange bas Nickel defense. Essentially that Mika Fitzpatrick is gone, but they've recruited super well. Patrick Sartan junior, if you want to feel super old, comes in as perhaps the top corner in the country. We talked a little bit too. H what's his name, Jared Maiden a couple of years ago at the National Championship. He's sort of been in a safety corner. I remember he was super well regarded Saveon Smith, who was at LSU or he signed at LSU before going JC. He steps in for Alabama. They're going to be fine, but they're going to be green. They're going to be green. But that is if there is a unit of Alabama's that you trust. With Nick Saban's background, it feels like it should be secondary, right.
Speaker 1: I guess I just I'm sorry. I hate to interrupt, Please no, I keep laughing. Not at the prowess of Daniel Jeremia of putting the mock draft together. But just as the possibility of Josh Rosen in Buffalo, I know it's right there. I know many nice people from Buffalo, and generally I root for the Buffalo Bills. They're not my team, but I root for them to do well and sort of exercise their own demons as a franchise. But I don't know about Josh Rosen going A Southern California kid going to Buffalo does not seem like a great combination as a Southern California kid.
Speaker 2: Time we mentioned we mentioned Wilton Spate to UCLA as a grad transfer, which I don't believe the ceiling is super high, not for Wilton spate potential coming off of a a spine.
Speaker 1: Injury last something something like that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think he's fine. I think he can be pretty good. He had some down performances in bigger games. But I don't think the expectations are too high for UCLA. So it could be Spade, it could be Devin Modster, who got some time behind Josh Rosen last year. I know they have an incoming freshman that's well regarded, but I wouldn't expect a ton from UCLA's offense in year one, but hope to be proven wrong.
Speaker 1: So let's let's do this. Let's close out our draft discussion here. Let's give me a couple guys, one or two guys that you think A can't miss. I'll go with two of the guys we just mentioned.
Speaker 2: The two guys that I would say right now, well, I'll do one that we just mentioned, one that we sort of mentioned. I think Minka Fitzpatrick. I know Alabama defensive backs recently have got into the NFL, and it's not that they've struggled, but trouble staying healthy or playing consistently. But Mika Fitzpatrick is to me too versatile not to succeed if he's healthy.
Speaker 1: And the other one is Vidavea.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, I think in terms of finished products physically and in terms of their games and pass rush moves and ability to see plays happening before they do. For somebody taken in the top twelve or fifteen, a defensive player that high, I think Vidavea is bedrock that you can build your team around, or build a defensive unit around.
Speaker 1: I won't say any of the quarterbacks. I won't even say Saquon Barkley, even though I love Saquon, I get it if the Giants want to take him at two. He does seem like a once in a generation prospect. Whether or not that translates to the NFL. Whether or not he can stay healthy at a position, as you eluded, gets pretty banged up, that remains to be seen. I would never want to put a running back in as my you know, most likely to succeed here. Sure, it's just sort of a bad bet, but if I am betting on anyone, I think Quentin Nelson goes without saying Quentin Nelson's going to be a lockdown guard for somebody. I also think Harold Landry from Boston College.
Speaker 2: Guys on not super great teams who keep succeeding is a nice flash.
Speaker 1: He's a pass rusher. He's a pass rusher, and you put him in the right system, I think he can succeed and would sort of be one of those can't miss guys. You want to aiate some cues, let's do it, baby. Congratulations, Skippy, you've got mail. You've got mail. On the solid verbal. Each and every month, or as often as we can, we do our best to pay homage to those of you who write in Solverable at gmail dot com, on Facebook, on Twitter, on Instagram, on Reddit. If you fly a banner over our house, however, you get the question to us to do our best to try and answer them. And Dan, you had a prescription for folks out there when you post on Twitter and Facebook and the like. What we were looking for in this show? What kind of topics did you solicit? Uh? Draft replacements?
Speaker 2: So I guess what we just talked about players coming into replaced first round type draft prospects, buying a new house, quarterback battles, the office obviously, the phenomenal show The Office, and I mean really anything beyond that.
Speaker 1: So that was the meat. Can I start with a question for you please? We were talking at the top of the show about podcast studios. Now I noticed that there are some podcast questions that came in. I would I would be in the market for a couple podcast questions from the verballer hood if we I have my own question for you that I need answered. Okay, As I mentioned, I am very close to owning a home, very close to owning my own home, and that will happen before long. I will be faced with a decision about which room I want to put my podcast studio in. Now. The new place is bigger than the current place, which means I have more options in terms of rooms into which a podcast studio would fit very nicely. I do think eventually, after the solid wife and I decide to remodel the basement area, the podcast studio will be located down there. But right now it's unfinished. It's in good shape. They aren't like bugs crawling around or anything, but it's in good shape. It's just a lot of concrete jungle, if you will, downstairs. So the question is do I try to occupy one of the unused bedrooms with my podcast studio now it's more of a finished product in there. We got the carpet, We can put stuff up on the walls, nice windows, be more of a comfortable experience in one of those rooms. Or do I just sort of acknowledge upfront that eventually it's going to be downstairs and even though it's unfinished now I sort of have my run of the full basement. I could build a video studio down there if I wanted. For some of the video stuff that we've done, some of the Facebook stuff that we've done here, and there. Sure, I am really on the fence about whether or not I want to go downstairs with it, or if I want to go more of the finished variety upstairs. So what do you think I would go upstairs? I would go upstairs because when you want to eventually build out your your podcast fantasy factory in the basement, that's exactly what it will be.
Speaker 2: It's not a priority right now in terms of moving in. It's not something that could be done in a week, whereas a room upstairs could be done pretty quickly. You hang some foam, you know, you just keep it quiet and you throw a desk in there, and you're good, right essentially, Yeah, you're plugging in some equipment, plugging a surge protect or whatever. You don't want to half ass the basement right now just to get in there.
Speaker 1: This is true.
Speaker 2: So I say, temporarily go upstairs while you map out fully what you want to do in the basement.
Speaker 1: Okay, I'm leaning in that direction, but you know me, I overthink things, that's true, And I thought a little bit about going in the basement. Anyway.
Speaker 2: I've never lived anywhere with the basement, so this is all new to me. I'll stay on the topic of podcasting though, because you apparently have I got a hank of whistle that needs whatd Yeah, that's right, Kyle wants to know. Huge fan of the podcast as an avid listener, I really appreciate the audio quality of your podcast. I'm thinking of doing a podcast with somebody's Okay, any recommendations on equipment.
Speaker 1: Software, etc.
Speaker 2: So congratulations to Kyle for being the ten thousandth person to ask this question. So equipment is like the fourth most important thing if you want to start a podcast, but it's still one of the more important things.
Speaker 1: Yes, I think it. Yeah, it has to be.
Speaker 2: Yes, the show itself should be listenable in both content and audio. But ty, if he's strictly asking about equipment, so this has nothing to do with the content of his show or how often or whatever the type of show it is, what is the base level that you would recommend. Let's say he, just because we know this about our listeners, makes a little bit of money, so he has some disposable income. He's mail, he's not, Yes, we know he's mail, which I don't. Maybe you have microphone specifics no inundation wise for men versus women. But let's say he has some disposable income and cares about audio quality.
Speaker 1: It is his.
Speaker 2: If he's just starting this podcast with friends, then who knows if it'll be around in a year, right, what would you recommend? Well?
Speaker 1: So, okay, very quick history lesson. He talks about audio quality, and like, we've talked about this before, but podcasting has very much gone away that YouTube went very early on. In the beginning, it was whoever could do it, whoever could figure out how to shoot a video and put it on the internet. They were the ones that got the views. And then over the course of time, when people started pouring money into it, more of yous generally went to the videos ahead better quality. Podcasting is very much in the same vein. If you want to do it right, you have to put some focus on your audio quality. So the first thing I would say is, don't buy a blue Yetty. Don't buy a blue Yetty. A lot of folks have them, they work in a lot of cases. But I can hear when some random podcast has a blue Yetty.
Speaker 2: On the other end, if the theme of your show is I Am in a Canyon, yeah, then yes, then it's fine.
Speaker 1: But otherwise I'm telling you, if you're using a Blue Yetty, even if you don't publicize, I can tell. So, just to keep me sane, don't don't buy a Blue Yetty.
Speaker 2: So give me an option around one hundred bucks or hopefully a little bit less that will give you decent audio quality and either will go in via USB or thunderbolt or whatever.
Speaker 1: Or you can get an adapter. Yeah, I mean you can get a microphone, like a dynamic microphone, a decent one for like a hundred bucks. There's one called an Audix D two. Tell me what dynamic means. Dynamic means that it captures a pattern, Okay, a directional pattern, let's say in front of the microphone. Ah, I love when you're nerd out on this show. Whereas a bluoyetti, which I despise, is an omnidirectional mic. So if you put it in a room, it'd be great for like a conference call where you need to pick up people in various corners of a room. That's what a bluo yetti is good at. But if you want a true broadcasting microphone, you need a dynamic microphone because then it really only captures let's just call it, a radius around the microphone a very limited range around the microphone, it tends to pick up better quality. So I'd say I know of an audis one that's like a hundred bucks. I'd think it's the D two. There are audio technica options out there if you don't want to spend quite as much money. I've not used all these, but it has to be better than the blue Yetti And I'd say, just in general, in general, by the best microphone you can afford. Fair And I assume he's doing this over Skype or something like that, because most people don't have the luxury of always being in the same room with their co hosts. So all right, fair enough.
Speaker 2: Any other podcast topics you wanted to hit on as it relates to our show, or college football before we move to other college football or the just random life questions.
Speaker 1: Why don't we move on, because when you get me going on podcasting, I could talk for like four hours. So okay, let's air on some questions. If anything comes to mind, I'll bring it up quickly. Top wide receiver corp. We only really mentioned one receiver this whole time, DJ Shark, but returning wide receiving cores in the country, do any stand out to you. I have a couple, Okay, who do you got?
Speaker 2: I like Penn State actually, especially given the quarterback that they have throwing to them. So no Daveshan Hamilton, No Daveshan Hamilton, and no Blackmail's gone, right, and I imagine God, So it's kJ Hamler coming in and Justin Shorter was the true freshman right right, So they have youth, promising youth and a promising quarterback and Nogasicki, which means, I guess balls would go to receivers more and more.
Speaker 1: So it's Juwan Johnson is the big dude. Yep.
Speaker 2: DeAndre Tompkins still there, yep. Plus those two Hamdler and Shorter, I feel pretty good about Penn State and freshman or excuse me and receiver production. Oklahoma State even without our guy Junkyard Jim Washington, excuse me and Clark L.
Speaker 1: Eateman.
Speaker 2: Yeah, McCleskey, Tyron Johnson and Dylan Stoner caught a ton of balls last year, contributed a ton, but now obviously without Mason. Rudolph AJ Brown exists for Ole Miss, so I'm gonna say Ole Miss. Paris Campbell exists for Ohio State, so I'm going to say Ohio State and DeMarcus Lodge is still good as well for ol Miss. But out west, there's not a hun to love pac twelve wise, there isn't There isn't a ton to love for me.
Speaker 1: Anybody else stand out to you wide receiver wise, he stole my aj Brown, although I guess it's not much of a secret at Old Miss. No. Yeah, I think Penn State's receivers are going to actually be real good this year. Well, I think they'll be made better by the offense. And I think still having trace mcsolely around will we'll cover up for whatever growing pains the receiving corp might have in the absence of Hamilton, and that it just helps development. Yeah, sure of course. Next question, tie, Yeah, got a notre dame question, not asking it? Nope. Um, let's go to God.
Speaker 2: We have so many questions. I should be I should be more organized. This is my apology here. Planning to go to Florida at Mississippi State this year. Any Starkville recommendations or just Mississippian in general. I usually drive to games tailgates, so I would appreciate any tips for tailgating when flying in and his bachelor party is this weekend in Brooklyn?
Speaker 1: Were going, Dan, you're going?
Speaker 2: I think it's the first time I've heard of a bachelor party here and it should be. I think the sun's going to be out. I'm going to be out of town. I'm going to be out of town this weekend, so I will not be attending Gary's bachelor party in Brooklyn. But you should eat well and tweet mer eamil mean. I can give you some recommendations, but recommendations for Starkville or a plan if you were going to Starkville having never been there, Tie.
Speaker 1: What would you do? I've never been to Starkville. Okay, I don't know. Go to I think it's Little Dewey's is what Joe Moorehead recommended. Yeah, oh that's right, Little Dewey's. Go to Little Dewey's. That's all I have for you, and tweet or tweet us or whatever.
Speaker 2: We can try to send people your way because a lot of the fund of tailgating is a communal aspect, and so we can sort of figure out if we can find tailgaters to host you, because that's that's what we would do.
Speaker 1: Here you go, Dan, Here's one from Ivan He says he's a huge Notre Dame fan. North of the border, way north. Oh Okay, what's a road trip to any school in Division one, you guys would suggest with a great college town fan base and food. Trying to plan full trip, he said, he's way north of the border, So we assume somewhere somewhere, maybe the Arctic Circle, maybe Hudson Bay, who knows if you're coming from there, sir, I would go somewhere warm. I mean, why not. If you're gonna drive down to the US of A, I would just go all the way down. So I would say somewhere in the sec DAN if you want to get the true college football experience, and plus the weather will be a lot warmer than what you're used to. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean depending on where you go, though, if you go in September to a big ten town, it's gonna be nice. It's gonna be fine. If you're going to go somewhere familiar, so more like Canada, go to Madison.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Madison, right, go to.
Speaker 2: Madison, Wisconsin. Don't think twice. It's a great college town. The food is I mean, it's aggressively Midwest, but one of the tastier places to eat in the Midwest. The game day experience, the in stadium experience all wonderful. If you want to go somewhere warmer, go to Baton Rouge. The city itself is not my favorite, but game day in Baton Rouge is incredible, and the food's incredible, and you'll eat super well and be in a loud place that's unlike many other places. If not, yeah, I think you're right, Go to Austin. Just eat well. It's very different. It's a city, it's not a town. But those would be the three options I.
Speaker 1: Would give you. If you're driving, Maybe Madison is a short Madison might be. Or come to the live show in Chicago in August. Or come to the live show in Chicago. Next question, along the same lines from Ryan, he says he's trying to go to every single D one football school for a game before he dies, which is an ambitious adventure. Here he says, what non big time program should I look to put at the top of my list?
Speaker 2: Does Florida count for this? Don't put a Gainsville just wondering. Go to Colorado State, Okay, go to New Stadium and listen. It's a state where if you like partaking in certain hobbies totally illegal and fine that it's they're good, They've got a decent coach and Mike Bobo. I would go, that's off the beaten path. That's a non power or five option and you get to see beautiful country. You're in Colorado. I'm I don't really have an answer beyond that tie.
Speaker 1: I'll go Colorado State too. All right, where you want to go next year?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm going Rams and for Collins is supposed to be super nice. Let's go to do you want to go?
Speaker 1: House? Questions? Do you want to go office place? Let's say a couple more football questions.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's a lot of talk in both pro and college football about getting rid of kickoffs. From David, what are your thoughts? So, how foundational and traditionally important in your brain is the idea of a kickoff after scores and to start halves.
Speaker 1: It's like part of my childhood, the kickoff, Right, My introduction into college football was were you a kickoff specialist as a kid? Of course Campton High School? No, I look, my favorite player growing up was rocket Ishmael mm hmm. And some of the most exciting plays that I've seen as a fan, have come on kickoffs mm hmmm, whether it's Rocket, whether it's Desmond Howard, whether it's some of the crazy plays we've seen elsewhere, the band out on the field, like all of these things are laced into the history of college football, and so I know that there are legitimate safety concerns about the kickoff play as a whole, But there is intrinsic value to me in keeping that in the game.
Speaker 2: I think people, and I don't mean you necessarily, but there is a natural fear of change in that this exists because it has always existed, and a certain reality is that things have to evolve. And if the evidence is insurmountable that this is an enormous, unnecessary health risk within the context of football being an enormous undous it's a little contradict. But if it is the upper tier of risk in an already crazy risky sport, then it's at a certain point worth trying to mitigate. And kickoffs in general, I know our pal John Boyce did a video about this, just how pointless they almost always are, like touchbacks are almost always more valuable if you're starting at the twenty five mathematically speaking.
Speaker 1: Right, I mean that's all very logical, and I would say ninety nine times out of one hundred, I'm all in on the most logical argument. Right, kickoffs for me were almost my introduction into the game as a fan. To lose that, I would feel like I'm losing a part of my own personal fandom. Do you think fewer people would watch football on a noticeable scale? No? No, I would still watch it, right, I would still watch it. I'm not saying I would flee the game as a whole, but I'm just saying it would lose a little bit of the luster for me. Right.
Speaker 2: Okay, where we're going next, let's go to this is a question. It sort of spans everything. It's about losing a fantasy football league and getting a belly button pie.
Speaker 1: I got questions about the dude that wrote this one.
Speaker 2: Okay, So basically, he doesn't watch the NFL, and he only picks college players he likes, notably from Oklahoma, and he keeps losing in fantasy football and having humiliating consequences because of it. I would recommend never play fans.
Speaker 1: So here's the thing. Here's the thing. His name is John. I'm gonna read this. I'm gonna read the opening sentence here. Last year I came in last place in my fantasy football league and I was forced to get a belly button piercing. Now, look, everybody, and I do mean everybody who is into fantasy sports has at one point been part of the league where they couldn't fully give the proper amount of attention to it. Right, But in most cases those leagues aren't for one hundred dollars. There isn't like a huge entrance fee. The risk is relatively low. Well, why John, would you go into a league like this if you don't have the baseline to feel somewhat confident that you're not going to have to get your belly button pierce at the end of it seems like an unnecessary risk to me. Maybe he wanted to get his belly button pierced all along and this was his natural excuse to, oh dark jump into it. Right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, if you're going to play a fantasy football league with those kinds of consequences, you should take it seriously and not just pick players from your favorite college team or just don't play fantasy football because I think it's dob Look.
Speaker 1: That's what the Browns tried and the Browns are drafting one year in and you're out right, So take take some heed from that whole adventure. And if you're going to join a league like this, where where the stakes are sit dan high, I don't know how much higher they can get. Find a friend who knows a lot about it, someone who can be a co manager with you or something.
Speaker 2: Ty who's your favorite player from a team you hate or hate?
Speaker 1: Ed Dustin, Dustin Pedroia Okay college? Oh football? Hmm, that's a tough question. There aren't many teams that I hate anymore. Right. I've told the story on this show about how in my younger day, before I went to Penn State, before I was a little bit more of a cultured individual, I used to hate Penn State. I really did. Growing up a Notre Dame fan Eastern PA, I hated Penn State and it stayed that way for a long time. It's not that way anymore, obviously, But there were some players on those teams that, even though I hated Penn State, it was hard not to like LeVar Arrington, It was hard not to like LeVar Arrington. It was hard not to like Curtis Enis. On some of those teams. Those guys were dominant in the day, so probably LeVar Arrington. For me, I love Reggie bush so much, and I didn't hate USC, and I was from USC, but rooted against USC because of Oregon. Ah, Reggie bush Man, that was.
Speaker 2: That's my earnest answer. My snark answer is Jake Locker loved when Jake Locker was at Washington. By all accounts of good dude, dude was just an average quarterback with superior athletic gifts. But uh loved the Jake Locker era at Washington.
Speaker 1: All right, quick one for you from Wilton Will sent in that he was interested in the Chicago Live show, and I said, I'd put this one on the list very quickly. Fifteen seconds or less. Your essential go to taco destinations in La or San Diego.
Speaker 2: I don't know San Diego Taco's that well. Go if you're downtown, go to Sonoratown, Marisco, Jalisco. Sit down at BS Takorea. It's a casual sit down spot. Those those three I would And oh one more bonus Giesato's g U I S A d.
Speaker 1: O S Gisatos. All right, Spencer writes in Trevor Lawrence or Kelly Bryant.
Speaker 2: I have a difficult time replacing a conference champion quarterback who did struggle at the end of the season against you know, arguably the best or one of the best two or three defenses in the country and did nothing against Alabama. But I right now Kelly Bryant. But if by mid October, which is when you would assume Trevor Lawrence would have a pretty good command of the playbook, or at least a better command, if Kelly Bryant looks much more in the Alabama direction, what he looked like against Alabama than what he looked like against teams like Louisville Virginia Tech early on in the season, I would imagine rotating in Trevor Lawrence at least four drives to see how he does.
Speaker 1: Kelly Bryant got him too the playoff, Yes, that has to stand for something. And when you've got a true freshman coming in, I think you got to stick Kelly Bryant until further notice, until given a reason to make that move away from him. I think right now, Spencer, the answer has to be Kelly Bryant, all right, who has a brighter future Tennessee or Florida I think both programs are going to be just fine in due time. I know we've been saying that about each for a while. Okay, I apologize to you. Yeah, what's his name, Tyler? Hello? Tyler? I think right now, for the immediate future, the answer is Florida. There are more building blocks in place at Florida. Tennessee remains a pretty big unknown for me. There are a lot of parts in place that I do like, but as a whole, it's a less finished product.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we know nothing about Jeremy Prude as a head coach. Beyond did a good job closing out the recruiting class and hired a pretty good looking staff. I would say that all looked like him. I don't know if you saw a picture of all of them. But Dan Mullin has wanted a difficult place to win. He has developed quarterbacks, and he is in a state with much more talent that is local and Florida's crossover I believe is LSU in the West. Tennessee's crossover is Alabama. So things to me point to buying a little bit more stock in Florida at the moment.
Speaker 1: You get to pick the next couple questions.
Speaker 2: All Right, let's go to Oh man, I'm let's go to Noah Pittman about the show The Office. Which how far away are you from Scranton?
Speaker 1: Roughly about an hour and fifteen.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, so this is not necessarily your backyard. Now, my wife and I have a disagreement over which is the most uncomfortable episode of the Office featuring Michael. She says it's Dinner Party. He thinks it's definitely. Noah thinks it's Scott's Tots. Do you remember each of these episodess.
Speaker 1: I remember the Dinner Party, and I definitely Scott's I do remember Scott's Totts. Yeah. I probably haven't watched as much of the Office.
Speaker 2: I'm rewatching it right now, and it's better yeah than it wasn't me.
Speaker 1: I love The Office. I just didn't all of it. Okay, so I'm not an expert on it. But the Dinner Party to me feels like it has to be the answer. And even though I don't remember Scott's Tots as well. Snip snap, snip snap. Yeah, there was no part of the dinner party scene that wasn't cringeworthy. Yeah, that's there was no part of it that was not cringeworthy. So for me, that's that's like the eight hundred pound gorilla here. I don't even know.
Speaker 2: If there was a B story in the Dinner Party one, whereas Scott's Tots at least there was a B story in that episode. To get away from it. I think it's the Dinner Party. And this is one hundred percent true. My middle brother was engaged and at the time was living in Saint Louis, and I had seen the Dinner Party episode of the Office. It had already aired by that point. I don't know if it was Netflix or DVD whatever, but invited me over to his apartment that he shared with his then fiance now not fiance, and the apartment was decoration in such a way that I was like, my brother didn't have anything to do with this apartment that was like an uncomfortable couch and porcelain, weird stuff everywhere, like, and he said, Oh, my god, you have to watch this episode of the Office with me, called the Dinner Party. It is my favorite episode. And as I was watching it and connecting it, I was like, oh, he is living. He is living this episode and it worked on such a good meta level that that is always going to mean more to me than pretty much any.
Speaker 1: Episode that said.
Speaker 2: Scott's Tots, in which Michael Scott promises a group of third graders that he's going to pay for all of their college tuition if they graduate from high school, and then has to go back to them watch a performance of them singing and dancing to him as a thank you. What you're going to do, mister Scott, when you make dreams come true? It's and then do you see you probably haven't watched this episode in a long time.
Speaker 1: It's been a while. It's been a while. I remember the inner party quite well.
Speaker 2: So he tells this group of third once third graders now high school seniors, that not only is he not paying for their college educations, but he turns the conversation to but you're gonna need laptops in college. And there's just like a very brief moment of like, well, pretty good consolation prize coming, and he opens up a suitcase full of rechargeable on batteries.
Speaker 1: See, oh, it's so good. It's The Office is great. If you need a show to rewatch and just binge out on, I think it's on Comedy Central. Thank you, Thank you for that. Question. Noah, I'm gonna go back and watch both of those this week. Mm hmm, that's great. Ty.
Speaker 2: You ever been to Savannah or Ashville? No, Adrian wants to know. No, I haven't been a Savanna. I've been to Charleston. I know it's pretty similar. Ashville is awesome.
Speaker 1: Ashville's like it's a West coast college town in the middle of the mountains in North Carolina. Ashville. So if you like beer, really good beer, town, good food, that's what I would suggest, go to Asheville, find microbreweries, eat food. All right. Richard, speaking of the office, wants to know. Twelve bones is a specific, specific suggestion. Twelve bones, twelve bones. Richard wants to know, speaking of the office, is Jim a d bag or a good guy?
Speaker 2: Oh man, look at you shortening to keep our iTunes rating as family friendly family show.
Speaker 1: Dan, I think a little of both. I think he is.
Speaker 2: So if we're looking at a meter in which normal dude with tendencies of good dudes and d bags is find yourself in the middle. Where do you stands Hi? Where do I stand?
Speaker 1: No? No, where do you stand this for Jim? Oh? Well, you need to specify, Dan, Yeah, No, you don't have any d bag consistencies. If normal guy is what fifty to fifty you're saying, hm, like sixty forty.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I would say he's on the wrong side of fifty with good guy tendencies, Yeah, i'd agree with him. He wasn't a particularly good boss. He screwed around at work way too much. He you know, I should be want to criticize, but started dating somebody in the office. But it worked out for him, right, Yeah, I would say because it was such a weird place, and because the camera always looked to him for reaction, they wanted you to associate with him, and therefore you want to think he's a good guy. But in his actual actions, I don't think he was great a lot.
Speaker 1: Of the time. Yeah. He played great pranks though, mm hmm. And we did get a question about what kind of office style prank would you play on each other? Would I on you? You on me? Oh?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean I know this answer immediately, and it would It probably will make your skin crawl just hearing me say it out loud.
Speaker 1: What prank you would play on me? Yeah, I know exactly what I would do. I mean, it's not really a prank. It's just me. What would you do?
Speaker 2: But I would before a live show or some sort of live recording, I would twist knobs on your board randomly or keep keep like because you're you're very good with diagnostic But.
Speaker 1: That would be a prank on you too. It would be it's a live show. It's pretty short sighted.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I do admit that, but I would say, yes that that sort of thing drives you batty, so like, why isn't sound coming through this speaker? And then like you go to check the board and then I just like unplug something in the space.
Speaker 1: See the problem that I have. I love the idea of pulling pranks, but kind of along the same lines, I tend to overthink them, and I tend to think of all pranks as if I'm pulling a bank heist. So eventually I have them so well planned that you start thinking, wow, this this is actually more mean than anything because I put so much thought on That's exactly true. So I don't know, I have to think about what I do to you.
Speaker 2: I know you're too good a guy. You're you're on the right side of the meter. Okay, okay, quick question, Tye, what do you think of when you think about food from Oklahoma. I loved this question because it was weirdly affirming. I don't know, it's great, uh Oklahoma?
Speaker 1: Yeah? What is Oklahoma food to you? I have two answers, and they're Okay answers. A good, A good, A steak from grassfread, grass fed beef. I don't know, Okay. All I know about Oklahoma food is you know those Hostess fruit pies. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think like the real version of that is it's either from Oklahoma or Arkansas. They're called hand pies, which, God, it's fun to say out loud.
Speaker 1: Sure. The other thing is I think they fry their burgers with onions.
Speaker 2: Like they take up a hamburger patty and throw a bunch of onions just like on top of it and throw it down on a griddle, so you get crisp onions with your burger, which is incredible.
Speaker 1: Sure, I think that's an Oklahoma thing. All right? Can that's all I know? Can I close out with the question? Jump in? Sure? Is this the question about body odor? No? Do you want to go with that one first? I mean, that's a very real question, but whatever you want. What was that one?
Speaker 2: Somebody asked. I don't remember where this came from. What to do if a coworker has particularly bad being.
Speaker 1: Oh man, that's very difficult.
Speaker 2: The only reason I bring this question to air is because your life advice is consistently confounding, and so I really wanted to mind share what you thought. Oh yeah, although the grocery store had more legs than I originally anticipated.
Speaker 1: The grocery where to pick up some good answers is what they are. Yeah, man, the body odor one is very difficult, so it has to be. So the question was, what do you do? What steps do you take?
Speaker 2: How do you tell or how do you get somebody to tell a coworker whose body odor is particularly bad?
Speaker 1: Like I assume in this question to the point of distraction, it depends how good of friends you are with the individual, because like for example, and I know it's on a much much different scale, they are very close friends of mine that I have at the office who if they have something in their teeth, I would say, Hey, you got some in your teeth. Of course that's easily fixed, easily fixed. And what I found is that bio large people appreciate that. Oh thank you, thank you. You know you present it in a manner that you know isn't very threatening body odor. I guess you could kind of go the same route, but you'd really have to be good friends with the person. You really have to be good friends with the person, and if they smell that bad, you might not. So I'm thinking maybe I weasel out and just go the root of an anonymous note, man Ty, what would you give me? Hold on, mister wizard over there, give me your well thought out answer on this matter. I wouldn't anonymously leave a note that you smell, do okay?
Speaker 2: So, if it's an actual distraction on a like, if you have difficult times working without having to catch wis are you going to go to the boss and be like, hey, Bobby smells or if yeah, if Bobby's a salesperson and in meetings it's something that is distracting or embarrassing because of the smell, you probably have to go. Assuming this is an office of some size, you probably have to go to HR because those are the people that won't get in trouble.
Speaker 1: But then, what do you do if you're HR? If you're HR's, you have actually say what do you do if you're in the situation of having to break the news to this individual.
Speaker 2: I think you have to start it with you have to be very careful that it's not an actual medical problem, okay, because I think there can be like some sort of glandular issue, sure, in which it's out of people's control and they're using you know, prescription grade deodorant or whatever methods. So you have to say, listen, this comes from a place of good faith. Is there something wrong? Does our insurance cover it? If not, you may think about changing up your deodorant because it has been noticed that there is a little bit of an odor.
Speaker 1: I mean, that's probably the fair way to go at it. I guess it's not all that different than a manager who would have to tell a subordinate that he or she is dressing inappropriately. Right, It's just a very personal matter.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Or you just always go up to them every morning and say you just work out, yeah woo, you just get done with a run, feel the burn. But that it's it's much more difficult than somebody with bad breath, where you just offer them a mint ten times a day. Right, that's it's yeah, still on the on the table, dan Ty, we are we are trying to preach in this show as strange as of my sounds, to try to take a little bit of responsibility and act like a grown up.
Speaker 1: All right, Well, speaking of which, yes, let's close out with this question. I highlighted it. Okay, what do you got? This is my favorite question, Dan Kloba shar Kloba car. We're not entirely clear on how to pronounce his name, but DK is pretty consistent when it comes to quality questions here on the verbal agree and we appreciate that this may be my favorite question yet. He says, I'm thinking of buying a project car to work on with my dad. I like this question, yeah, but I have a limited mechanical experience. Have either of you tackled a job without any know how whatsoever? Was it as rewarding as I think this will be? Marriage? Yes? Marriage? Okay, sure, very rewarding Dan. The fact that you can work on this with your father is very special, sure, and so for that reason, I think, yes, this would be very rewarding. Perhaps you can do the whole thing without getting hurt. If you can, that would be terrific. If you can get the car to start, even better, but spending the time with your father, I think would be priceless. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think projects, especially tangible projects where you are working towards a goal, where you're becoming more skilled, where you're learning, I think, are almost always if you're able to afford everything involved, worth it, because even if you fail, you get quality time either with a family member or a loan or whatever. But you're learning, you're getting stories, you're not staring at a phone, Like I think, it's all in all like a clear win.
Speaker 1: It's a clear win. It's a clear win if you can plan in advance what that project's going to be. In this case, he's obviously thought it through. Maybe he's purchased the car already, maybe he hasn't, but either way, he's given some advanced thought on the matter. Yeah. The projects where you get yourself in trouble are the ones that just sort of happen and you decide, I can go on YouTube and figure this out, Like, how hard could it be to do this? I had a similar instance when my garage door broke a couple months ago. Have I told you this story? Did you build a new garage door? I didn't build a new garage door, but I decided that I could fix it on my own. So if you can imagine one of those situations where the garage door only goes down ninety percent of the way, so I'll take it away. You just see it, like, how hard could this be? It's on a right pulley and you got some springs and a coil up there. I'm a smart guy. I can figure this out. M hm. So you go on YouTube. And when you go on YouTube to figure out how to fix a garage door, they see a lot of complicated things. You know, a sea clamp would be good to have, maybe some vice grips to hold things in place so you don't get squashed. I don't have any of those. I'm a computer guy, Dan, I don't. I don't have tools like that. Come on, I can do this. How hard could this be? Before you know it, my garage door is a skew, and about what I would say is like a forty five degree angle running from left to right. So no longer just nice and parallel, but ten percent of the way off the ground. You're doing actual tangible damage. I'm doing real damage to not only the garage door, but as the man who came to fix the garage door in the wake of whatever the hell I did. Told me most of the people who attempt what I attempted end up having to go to the emergency room after losing digits. Because a garage door is on a very tightly wound spring, that's what helps lift it off the ground, and I decided that I would try to disassemble that and put it back together. Thankfully, I did not do bodily harm to myself. But it's those types of jobs where something goes wrong. You say, I can go on YouTube and figure it out. You don't have the tools they tell you on YouTube you need to have, and he decided to do it anyway. Those are the bad ones. Don't do those, Dan I had. In late December, I was in the suburbs of Chicago, Jody with an I's family and.
Speaker 2: It was negative two degrees yeh, and I and my father in law were preparing to leave to go pick up dinner, and we went to open the garage door, just push the button whatever. It started to open and then closed, and that was a loud sound, and then suddenly it wouldn't open anymore, at which point we discovered it got so cold that one of those coils or spring or something just froze and popped nice. And that's when I had my really good Charlie from Lost moment, like where am I?
Speaker 1: What am I doing? What is Chicago in the winter? And so I do not mess around with garage doors. Not a good idea. So Dankloba shar qlobe car if you're out there, I would say, any of these projects are fine, but leave the garage doors to professional garage door people.
Speaker 2: I had so not me, but my near my parents' house, a guy built a helicopter in a head what now like a mini helicopter. It's it's actually the size of like a hatch back, like a smaller version of like a VW golf. He could sit in it, Yeah, you could sit in it, but that was it was like Erkele's car with a chopper with a rotor whatever.
Speaker 1: Wow, that's and that's an ambitious DIY project right there.
Speaker 2: I could not imagine how much money I would need to be paid to go up in that chopper. I guess alone, because there wasn't room as a passenger to like try to train myself to go up in that.
Speaker 1: I did see a thing online about a flat earther who built his own rocket. I saw that too, and he postponed. He chickened out right. He did launch the rocket eventually, and he didn't blow himself up. Oh, but he was in the rocket. I don't think he made it as high up to prove his theorem as he wanted. But he was able to launch the rocket eventually. But he was in it. He was in the rocket, and it was steam powered.
Speaker 2: I believe I so badly wanted it to go, and I don't wish harm upon many people, but.
Speaker 1: I wanted it to go very poorly. Let's leave it at that, all right. Well, we're at solid verbal at gmail dot com. If you've got more that you'd like to share with us, please feel free to write in. We're also on Twitter at solidverbal. We're on Facebook at facebook dot com slash solid verbal. We're on Instagram. We post there from time to time. We've got our own subreddit, Reddit dot com slash ry slash solid verbal. Please stay with us all off season. We promised there'll be more football on the way, a lot of exciting things, both in terms of websites and shirts and forthcoming details about the live show that we are planning in August in the Great City of Chicago. We're very excited about that than a couple live shows. Now we I think have the formula down patent. We're excited to do more so, maybe not just Chicago, but a bonus city. Stay tuned here for more information in the coming days, weeks, and months. That's all I got, Yeah, same all right for that guy over there, my good friend Dan Rubinstein, for myself, Tie Hildebrand, thanks for hanging with us for about an hour or so. We'll be with you again next week and meantimes, stay solid, peace,