Speaker 1: I miss the green for example, I'm already upset.
Speaker 2: When I find my ball in the bunker, I'm really upset.
Speaker 3: And when I find my ball in a brid Egg Friday Egg, the dreaded Friday Egg, Friday Friday Bride Egg.
Speaker 2: Lie, I'm about ready to run off of the course. Ladies and gentlemen, welcome back for another edition of the Friday Egg Podcast. We are joined tonight by Tron Carter of No Laying Up and uh dj Piehowski of the PGA Tour runs the Scratch Media, our our favorite alternative golf content source that's not independent. So guys, welcome on. Been an exciting two days of coverage.
Speaker 1: Thanks Andy Pome to be here.
Speaker 3: I would say it's been an exciting two days. I wouldn't say it's been an exciting two days of coverage.
Speaker 1: Big distinction there today, let's just get it out there. Today was far better.
Speaker 3: Yes, yessively improved, So, uh, you know, just add to the effects.
Speaker 2: Well, while we're on the coverage, you know what, Tron what what's uh? What's been getting at you? Is it? Has it been the limited uh amount of coverage in the morning?
Speaker 3: Uh? Well, the group were awful straight up they were were terrible. It was a disgrace. I gotta I gotta turn the gas down here, guys, it's getting there. We get it's getting a little bit too too much natural gascon. Yeah, the future groups were just not good at all. Uh, the fact that nobody made the cut and I don't think anybody made the cut in either one of the future groups today in.
Speaker 2: The morning, only only Luck maybe Curtis Luck did, Yeah, he did.
Speaker 1: I think they were a good combined forty some over par today.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and that's that's insane. You know, it's a miscarriage of justice right there.
Speaker 2: I think obviously the situation that's a fault is that, you know, there's just a lack of coverage in the morning. But you know, the future groups, it's pretty clear you got to win a Masters to be in a feature group, So you know, Rory just needs to play better.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well all right, so here's the thing. Do they need to do a featured hole on like two and three? Like those are two good holes?
Speaker 1: That would be awesome, that would be like.
Speaker 3: Those are two great holes.
Speaker 1: Great holes. Yeah, I would, I mean I would enjoy watching those so much more than eleven. Eleven is kind of a boring hole to watch, Yeah.
Speaker 2: Except what.
Speaker 3: Has just straight up Hubris and tries to get after a flag.
Speaker 1: Although the shot John rom hit on eleven today, I don't know if you guys saw that was just absolute Stones.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's just in general is the absolute Stones. He's missed a lot of short putts and he's still right there.
Speaker 3: So he works the wall both ways, I mean just like without abandoned, like I've seen him work it, just a gnarly draw off the trees and and he hits that low stinging cut that makes me fully erect.
Speaker 1: And that low snap hoook. I'm fifteen, so.
Speaker 3: I didn't see that one. The power went out today too, so I didn't. I'm not a great person to talk to about the uh about the coverage today just because I missed the first hour of coverage.
Speaker 1: So that's it was truly delightful today to watch so much so there was.
Speaker 3: No like SDP soliloquy at the beginning.
Speaker 1: I think they got pretty into it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was just like a couple of minutes. It wasn't It wasn't lengthy like yesterday.
Speaker 1: I mean yesterday yesterday they got to go through all the opening ceremony stuff and they gotta there's obviously an understandably some some arnie stuff to go through and whatever. I mean, it's it's hard to separate, like, you know, how into it the three of us are and the people who listened to this podcast are with.
Speaker 3: I get that.
Speaker 1: It's hard to separate that with the people who watch golf once year and you know, but here's the thing.
Speaker 3: So, and this is why I got after really Payne on Twitter and not ESPN, because I felt like a lot of that was mandated by Augusta and then you know, the narrative and kind of uh, just just fluffing the Augusta narrative and fluffing the Augusta story, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean I think that's kind of one of the traditions unlike any other though.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think I saw that. I mean, it's it's it is what it is, but it's what has propped up the tournament and why you know, everybody gets so excited about the tournament.
Speaker 3: So but it seems like there's some sort of disconnect between when I hear something like, oh, we want to we want to televise every shot of every player of the tournament and they have the capability to show a lot more then they've been showing this week, and like the amen corner, Like, props to that team because that's been a lifesaver this week.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's been super good, has.
Speaker 3: Been you know, like as soon as the non feature group finally gets stay in corner, then he got him for pretty much the rest of the round.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's the only the only problem is when you get that perfect storm of like featured groups are also an amen corner, and it's just like, oh, it's just brutal. Like today, I flipped it on. I think I texted Utron after this, but I flipped it on and Coucher was the first person that I see play thirteen and the first the first thing I see is him making a birdie putt, and the first words I hear from the announcers are like, you know, oh, so good to see him lay up and make birdie. And now he that gets into just just seventy six shots off the lead now, like.
Speaker 3: Well, so, so Coucher is paired with the Nick grib tomorrow.
Speaker 2: Right, Coocher is lurking. He's he's got a big Saturday Saturday showdown. You know, I wanted to touch on it later, but we're here now. So Tron, what's gonna happen tomorrow?
Speaker 3: He's gonna get vaporized the sea.
Speaker 1: I mean, it seems like the conditions kind of favor him though.
Speaker 2: The winds breaking, it's gonna be. It's gonna be firm, fast, no wind tomorrow.
Speaker 3: It's gonna be firm, I think it is.
Speaker 2: It's been really windy last couple of days. They're gonna they're gonna they're gonna ramp that thing up tomorrow.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but the fairways are still gonna be a little bit soggy. Nobody's gonna be getting.
Speaker 1: I think it's more the greens are green.
Speaker 2: They're gonna be tough. Pins too, They're gonna those those pins are gonna be They're gonna be nasty. It's gonna be it's not gonna be just about hitting the faraway. It's gonna be hitting it on the right side of the pharaway. See at the right angle.
Speaker 3: Well, so that are with maybe angles. God, this guy just beats off to with an angles. He's like he's like a geometry uh geometry fiend. But all right, So so here's the deal. So I think it comes back to our boys in the fore play pod wanting this to play out like a US Open. And that's not why. That's not why the Masters just been a great tournament to watch over the years. Is I don't want to see these guys shoot seventy one and grind their tits off, like I want to see birdies on thirteen and fifteen and you know, maybe one on twelve and maybe one on sixteen like like that I don't like seeing. I want to see somebody shoot a Saturday sixty five and make a charge. Yeah, I mean there's no really just kind of girding the coins.
Speaker 2: The wind. The wind is what is causing that. I mean, when you got twenty five on our wind on a course that's ration up like the way it is, it's gonna be just But.
Speaker 3: You said they're gonna talk the pins tomorrow. Yeah, but no, put the pins in the Saturday spots where.
Speaker 2: They're twenty twenty five mile an hour wind is what is causing all the all the scoring trouble, Like that's like the hardest ship to play in in the.
Speaker 3: Wa But you're telling me that the two spots that they put the pin on, was that a different Friday pin on fifteen today than it normally is.
Speaker 1: I don't fink the pin's been I feelskably, isn't it the Sunday pin where it was accessible location on fifteen either day.
Speaker 2: That that was really accessible. It was in the back like if you're going to hit a if you're hitting in with like a going for and two. The problem is it is going into a north wind, so you're playing into twenty five million hour wind, Like the balls are just not going anywhere. It's five hundred and thirty yard part. But that back pin is the most successible pin to be coming in with all that time.
Speaker 3: I disagree, If I disagree. If it's into the wind, it's a much more that's a much harder pin to get at. Why if go are laying up.
Speaker 2: If they're laying but if you're going for a par five and two and you're hitting a high three wood or a long iron, you want the pin.
Speaker 3: Back green that sloped back to front.
Speaker 2: I mean that's when you're hitting it over water, you need as much green as you can get to stop the ball.
Speaker 3: So when you put the dictator hit it in the back water today on sixteen.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he had a bad shot fifteen you.
Speaker 3: No, but on like under the water on.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, gotcha. I feel like that is like one of the most underrated, Like that's one of the things when you go to the course in person that blew me away the first time was how in play that backwater seems to be, especially like when it gets firm and the balls are bouncing on the green or you catch it downslope or something like, it's just crazy. Nobody ever thinks about that backwater, but it's it's always cool to see a couple of balls going there.
Speaker 3: I think they need to shave it all the way down, like they've got that little passure rough in there. Just shave it all the way down.
Speaker 1: It's just well goes away from you though. If you're back there, like it's just so hard.
Speaker 2: You just said you wanted to see more birdies and eagles and sixty fives, and then he just said, you know, you need to shave it down.
Speaker 4: So that's the If they made fifteen green go all the way back to the pond on sixteen, then it would be like guys putting it from like dropping it and then putting it like seventy yards like that would be awesome.
Speaker 1: Too, but goes Tron goes to England. Once that is seventy yard putts.
Speaker 3: You could get a three or a four going, but then you can get in like an eleven or twelve going to like it'd be both into the spectrum or a nine. Yeah, over nine, I think I think we've already got the nine going.
Speaker 2: All right, So uh, let's talk about the guys at the top. We got uh, we got the rictator. We've got Thomas Peters, my boy, so good my line?
Speaker 1: I U, I don't think you've met anybody who doesn't like Thomas Peters. What is not to like?
Speaker 2: We've got We've got Charlie Hoffman, you know, Gary Busey, quasi, look like we've got uh, and then we've got uh, who's the last one? Uh, Sergio? Ye, So we got none of them. None of them are major winners. Who who do you guys like out of those four to get their first major championship if you're gonna get one of them, I don't know.
Speaker 1: I mean Ricky, I guess just Ricky seems like kind of he's he's had the most recent, you know, the most recent proof that he can kind of get it done. Peters you know, remains to be seen what we can expect from him on the weekend, Sergio. There's a pretty good body of evidence.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: What might have I'm telling you, I'm not rooting angry.
Speaker 3: I'm not rude Oliver west Wood always no, no, no, no.
Speaker 1: Not at all. Let me finish, Let me finish. I'm not riding as hard as you, because it would be condescending to say that I was. But I'm so in for a Sergio win. I would absolutely likely.
Speaker 3: It's Sev's birthday on Sunday.
Speaker 1: Sunday, that's gonna be that.
Speaker 3: That was Beaten Baker once. Every Spanish player ever to be Sev. He's like, it doesn't even remind you of Sev. It's like it's like every black person ever reminds you of Tiger, like like every every Asian guy ever reminds you of like Jumbo Zaki.
Speaker 1: There were two of the worst takes from the broadcast thus far were and they both involved my boy John Rahm were uh one Faldo saying that rom was his dark horse pick, when I believe he was the fifth best, fifth highest.
Speaker 2: That that was ship knucks boy too.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but to call him a dark horse pick that's what ship knucks stupid. And number two was the one tron I think you pointed out was Ian Baker Finch saying, you know, doesn't Rob's game remind you of Sevy? And or can you name all the ways of something like? Can you think of all the ways his game reminds you of Sevy? It's like no, literally, like literally, I can't think of.
Speaker 3: What literally one way Ramsey today said that that ro Rob reminds him of the thumb, like just somebody's thumb. He kind of as I'm just saying, but and then he said he couldn't. He looks like somebody, but he couldn't put his finger on it. Something else.
Speaker 1: Well, So, of of those four, I mean, I'm I'm going to Ricky, what do you guys? What are you guys?
Speaker 2: Like? Who do you? Who do you got? Tron?
Speaker 5: Uh?
Speaker 3: I've been big on the Dictator all week. I think, Uh, he's got that look in his eyes. His shot shape, I don't. I mean, I feel like he's kind of hitting the fade off the t now, but his shot shape irons. I feel like he hits kind of a preferred drunk. But I'm going none of the above I'm going.
Speaker 1: With I think I'm going none of the above as well, you're going with the Mick rib, You're going with Phil. I can tell, oh, definitely good to Phil.
Speaker 3: That didn't get on your face.
Speaker 1: It's not a video podcast, but.
Speaker 2: Uh yeah, yeah, I don't know. I got I like my boy Peters, but I'm uh, we'll see what he's got on the weekend. I think he's got like.
Speaker 1: Just the fact that like he could have he could have absolutely just packed up and gone home after what did he shoot forty well, I.
Speaker 2: Mean he had even part he said he was uh, he was five under through ten and then.
Speaker 1: He yeah, even just to play the last eight and five over. I mean any like it he could have. He could have quickly become the forgotten man and nobody would have blamed him. And to come back and like do that today was awesome. So cool.
Speaker 2: He's he's got games. I kind of want Charlie Hoffman to like win, just so people on the internet stop acting like he can't win a golf tournament.
Speaker 1: And he's won. He's a very good player.
Speaker 3: Here's here's here's a Charlie Hoffman take. So remember the heritage a few years ago when it got like mega windy, but he was leading through the wind. Yeah, and then like I think I think Westwood ended up winning or not Westwood, Sorry sorry DJ McDowell ended up winning, but it was like it was crazy windy the whole time. But like Hoffman shipped down his leg on Saturday, but I neils go to bed, guys. I feel like Hoffman kind of got his bed wedding out of the way today and he can kind of go back to being just kind of playing golf tomorrow, whereas instead of my take was he was gonna he was gonna shoot his pants tomorrow, but now he doesn't really. I mean, yeah, he's sleeping on a lead, but he shot seventy five or six today. He's just kind of, you know, he's just doing his thing.
Speaker 6: Now.
Speaker 3: He's just kind of another another week now, you know.
Speaker 2: I think every every golfer, like very rarely does someone win a tournament where they just blow the doors off all week long. And you always have one bad stretch of golf within your tournament, and I think it's how you deal with and respond to that bad stretch. It's like, did Thomas Peters get his one bad stretch out on Thursday afternoon. But it'll be interesting to see. I don't I think Hoffman. I think the wind really favors a guy like Hoffman because he's such a good ball striker. I think when the wind dies, you're going to see some of these other guys that are a little bit further back that aren't. You know, you look at the leaderboard's staffed with ball strikers, but you know, you look at a guy that survived. I think somebody that's flying like so under the radar is Ryan Moore, h who's just like sitting there at one under Like I mean, William mcgertz been just unbelievable, which.
Speaker 3: All right, So buddy of mine said today, he said, if if you had a bet on anybody, including the odds to win it, just with the odds right now he had been on Justin Rose.
Speaker 1: That's that's kind of what I was thinking. Man, That's what I was thinking too. He's just so good, like he's just I don't know why, I just can't get excited about watching him. He's got every like, he's got every reason to just be a superstar, and I just can't get just can't get pumped when I watch him. But like he hit if you like he was kind of I don't know, the not the flashiest shot in the world, but the shot he hit into nine today was like just so smart and sexy. After watching everybody just get mutumboed from that green and just not being able to control the spin and completely just zipping it back down the hill, Rose just like the perfect spot, perfect amount of spin, just snuggles it up in there to like three feet and like a couple of the up and downs he made, or just like he's just so tidy, like he.
Speaker 2: I think he's finished runner up there twice, but with his under par total, like I think last year was like fourteen under or whatever, his under par total would have won like all but like four or five Masters, and both times that he's fit sh runner up. So it's it's kind of crazy how you look at that guy and he doesn't have any wins. It just shows how hard it is to win one of these things. I guess who you think about.
Speaker 3: How many how many awkward web shots this course demands, and you think he'd struggle here, but he's like it like brings out the best of them. Just crazy because I feel like he's always the one that's flubbing those sixty yard pitches, you know. Yeah, but he seems to really he seems to really enjoy this place. But I mean, like Kimer, I mean Kymer going when he shot seventy eight yesterday and damn Nier was playing bogey golf on the back nine and then comes back and shoots sixty eight today, Like that's that's insane.
Speaker 2: What who does speak?
Speaker 1: Who?
Speaker 3: I mean speed is we.
Speaker 1: Need to we need to dedicate about fifteen minutes speed here. I feel like, I mean everybody on the on the McRib like what Speef has. Like I just am so blown away by Speef.
Speaker 3: Rian Rory grinded his ass off. He hasn't had the driver either day. He's putted relatively well. He's missed a couple short ones. He got boned up by the flagstick today on eighteen. But like, I don't know, I feel like he's just years ago or three years ago, would have would have just bailed in and kind of probably pissed away another three or four shots and been been at plus five or plus six and then played decent one all on Saturday and then gone out and shot sixty six on Sunday and back door top ten where now a back door top ten round on Sunday gets him actually close to the lead much less if he plays a lot on Saturday. He's right, he's right in the mix.
Speaker 1: This is this is how I feel about Speef, like I like the exactly everything you just said is.
Speaker 2: How I feel about Yeah, he made a nine.
Speaker 1: He made a nine, and he's he's right there, he's four shots off the lead.
Speaker 3: I mean he's like just so man'.
Speaker 2: That's what I'm saying. The weather conditions favorite guy like spief to like he the fact.
Speaker 3: That's why I'm disappointed he hasn't he hasn't stepped up more.
Speaker 2: No, I'm saying the weekend weather, the nice weather should favored.
Speaker 3: No.
Speaker 1: Yes, without a quad, he'd be tied for the lead.
Speaker 2: Yeah, ball, that's saying.
Speaker 3: Going into the weekend, he doesn't have an advantage. Andy, why do you think he has an advantage? He literally, he literally doesn't hit.
Speaker 1: He doesn't type the scoring record, he doesn't, he doesn't.
Speaker 2: He doesn't hit the ball as good as these guys like you know, like surgery, Like when you're in the wind, what happens is the wind, strong winds magnify misses. So if you're not exactly on point with your shots, they go further and further offline.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but everybody's listening greens and it's a matter of getting up and down.
Speaker 2: That's important. But guys like you know, like Sergio is still out there hitting thirteen fourteen greens regardless. Like you know, like ball striking is greater and putting is diminished because the wind adds an element of it, you know, like it's harder for speak to can twenty five footers in a twenty mile hour wind. So when you mark Brody on my ass, it's but no, it's just a it's true, like the weather is favored guys that are high on ballster. You look at the leaderboard and it tells the story. The fact that Spith is right there with a nine and he you know, he hasn't even played his best golf yet. That's I mean, he's a guy that obviously is sitting there at even par. I mean, anybody that's been impressed with Rory, you have to be almost doubly impressed with speed.
Speaker 1: I just I don't know. I think Rory has I kind of said this before the round, and I'm kind of sticking to it that like I just hot take or not. I don't think he's going to be a factor this weekend, and he just hit shot.
Speaker 3: I think tomorrow is a career defining day.
Speaker 1: Actually, since he's playing with I feel like three hundred and sixty four days ago was a defining day also, you know what I mean, Like when he played he like every on Saturday. No, no, no, when he was paired to Speet on Saturday, just got his doors blown off. I don't know, man, I.
Speaker 3: Mean Seeth Speet, that was that was non sporting.
Speaker 1: What are you talking about?
Speaker 3: He was taking like four minutes over every shot.
Speaker 1: It was brutal conditions.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but he was still breaking the rules.
Speaker 1: You're saying they should have gand.
Speaker 3: I think they should Gwanda, I think they should ut. Even before so, I thought it was disgusting. I thought it was unsporting.
Speaker 2: On Sportsman Life, who are you most disappointed by in the first two rounds?
Speaker 3: You know who I'm most disappointed by? Your boy? Toto was too big for him, told you.
Speaker 2: Man, he's like an eighteen year old from from Latin America.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Toto couldn't really get anything going this week.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's sad, but another man, another man. How about Stu has dad?
Speaker 1: Awesome?
Speaker 3: Oh, I can't can't say enough good things? Yeah, DJ, how about your boy Brian Stewart making the cut big time? How about how about that whole group?
Speaker 2: Yeah, Larry Mice, Larry Mies made the cut, That group has dad.
Speaker 3: Here are a.
Speaker 1: Couple of people who Here are a couple of people who not make the cut. And keep it through the perspective of the fact that Larry Mace did make the cut. Danny Willett, Jim Furick, Zach Johnson, Hendrik Stenson, Alex Norin, Bubba Watson, Henry Patrick, Patrick Reid, Michael Woodland, Tyrol Hatton, I think Tyl Tyrel Hatton. I mean, I don't know that I had the highest hopes, but he might be. He's on my most disappointing list.
Speaker 3: Tyrol Shadow.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that was that was brutal.
Speaker 2: He hadn't finished outside like the top ten and in like six eight weeks and then just comes to augustin just very he just pukes all over himself.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Not good, not good. You know who I'm disappointed in, uh, but optimistic about is uh. Louis just complete, completely rejected yesterday and then fought back today and uh got it back to four over.
Speaker 2: I feel like he does that. He did that last year too. He had one terrible round. He was like five over after six or four over after six.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna pull up the tea times for tomorrow. This is there's some like good interesting. Yeah, So so day is Day playing with Knox?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: God, I hope I hope Day with draws like do to like lack of lack of liquidity or something. All right, Burger Grayce, that's a big dick. Uh, let's see you got Grio and Thomas. That's savory, stricer, Strickert, Hazen. Let's just sign me up like that's one of those rounds that you go out early, follow them for the first nine, and then come back and follow the leaders for eighteen.
Speaker 2: Let me tell you what the tea time of the day is. Mark Leishman versus Lee Westwood?
Speaker 1: How many shots you want?
Speaker 2: DJ and I have a twenty dollars bet on this on these two, on who performs better at the Masters.
Speaker 3: I feel like a divorced parent caught in the middle because I like both these guys.
Speaker 2: It's you know, Lee Westwood at Augusta is just so solid. He had a rough clothes to today's round, but I think he's right there. I think he's a guy that can.
Speaker 3: Make a commentator term tragic or that's that's that's very unfortunate and something after he missed them, missed the short one on seventeen or eighteen.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's weird. He's usually right, He's usually rock solid.
Speaker 2: Bit I heard another announcer talking about his putting stroke and they're like, see that right hand, how it gets involved. It's a very unreliable way to put.
Speaker 3: That's not Yeah, yeah that was. He was just shitting all over them.
Speaker 1: I feel like that was pretty I feel like I was pretty classy. I feel like I was pretty classy about the hockey sticks today. By the way, just the fact that the fact that Westwood and Leishman are tied after thirty six is like, you can just I can let you buy out of the bet for nineteen right now if you want.
Speaker 5: So.
Speaker 1: I feel like people about like you want Westwood versus Leishman over the final two rounds, Like.
Speaker 3: There's no way I'm sticking by going straight up the rest of the tournament. Weshman versus Westwood for twenty Oh yeah.
Speaker 2: It was the bet that we had. We made the bet on Wednesday. Okay, so you know I'm sticking with my man.
Speaker 1: There's no way I spent I already spent the money.
Speaker 3: I feel like all the pairings for the rest of the time are probably there are ten times better than the pairings for the first two rounds. Like it's like the guys that were meant to be paired together are paired together, like like the El's Duffner pairing, Like those guys are gonna hit more greens and miss more putts men any pairing in the history of the Masters. Matsuyama, Kimer Like that's awesome. Coocher, McElroy, Speth, Michelson Scott Like this is like rom and couples, Like couples are just gonna be asking rom about Spanish chicks the whole time. Like there's so many good groupings tomorrow there's no like there's no uh, who is this? Who was the Swedish guy a few years back?
Speaker 1: Peter Hansen?
Speaker 3: Peter Hansen Like, hello, I'm I'm Peter Hanson. To just like put a put a damper on the proceedings. You know, I haven't been this excited for a Saturday of the Master.
Speaker 2: What about Speth Michaelson. So I'm saying, like, no, where, where's the DJ's head going to be with that one?
Speaker 5: Me?
Speaker 1: Yeah, oh, man, I don't know. I mean, my my heart is picking Phil this week. But like he made some sloppy mistakes coming in.
Speaker 3: Man. He said he was trying to win the tournament though, or you just want to win, trying to stack up a bunch of presses.
Speaker 1: And I think, honestly, I think he's uh, I think he's getting ready for Aaron Hills. I think he's he's trying to get some reps for Aaron Hills.
Speaker 3: He's hitting, he's hitting the shots demanded of of Dana Herdson and uh Michael Fryer, Michael herds And and Dana fry at Augusta. He's taking the same shots and just practicing in Augusta.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly. Uh yeah, I mean, I don't know that the miss long on sixteen was like not good, hard, like just a brutal spot to get up and down. Missing in the bunker on seventeen was bad. I think he only had like one forty or something. It's I don't know, not good.
Speaker 3: All rightyeah, all right, So who do you have tomorrow? Speed or Michelson speed? Wait?
Speaker 1: How many three?
Speaker 3: Wow? Okay?
Speaker 1: Sixty seven seventy okay, So they're.
Speaker 3: Both probably near the lead tomorrow then or at or leading.
Speaker 1: Uh speed for sure? Yeah, I mean, like I don't know, I don't I don't want to go overboard on this, but like that was like so impressive today. I think he's going to be absolutely just jacked to go out there tomorrow and put up a low number.
Speaker 3: All right, rom rom and couple.
Speaker 1: Well, and let's we got to Fred Couples for a minute here, Nicholson speed.
Speaker 3: Who do you like tomorrow?
Speaker 2: Nicholson speed speak? I mean I think he uh, he gets himself within two three shots of the lead.
Speaker 3: I think I think Nicholson ties one on tomorrow. It's a round for the ages tomorrow.
Speaker 2: I just don't think he's going to drive the ball well enough.
Speaker 1: He got a little slippery at the end.
Speaker 2: The guy, the guy doesn't he doesn't know what a swing what the swing plane is.
Speaker 3: I mean, he probably knows he's playing with the guys.
Speaker 2: That doesn't make any difference if you're my Alesox playing.
Speaker 3: All right versus couples. Can we talk about couples for a little bit.
Speaker 1: Let's please tell us first of all, you're you're sitting there with with your son just watching the namesake today?
Speaker 3: What was that?
Speaker 1: Like?
Speaker 3: What's nice? I'm kind of Freddy's a double edged sword. I can when when Freddie Yakobsen plays well, I call him the junk man, and when Freddy Couples plays well, I call him boom boom. So it's like all good things, you know. But yeah, I think, I mean, I don't know. A couple's got a little squirrel on some of the some of the lines he was taking were a little bit over aggressive. Today I came if it was fourteen or seventeen, which seventeen I don't. I don't much care for seventeen. Fourteen's a great hole. Seventeen should be a short part four. They should bring Corn Crenshaw in Redesign it Short Part four brings to the back.
Speaker 1: I keep going back, and I keep going back and forth on this, and like, I keep wavering between I like seventeen and I don't like seventeen. And no, I think it's good. I think it's good when they have no But I think it's just like, I don't know. I think it's good when they have the pin on eighteen in a good spot, you know what I mean, Like the Sunday pin on eighteen, like it's you can I feel like the pin make birdies for sure. So I feel like seventeen is like the last like big test that you got to get through and then you can make a birdie on eighteen.
Speaker 3: I feel like the pin today on eighteen should be the should be the Sday pin.
Speaker 1: It's pretty too, it's pretty close to that. I think they just move into the left.
Speaker 3: A little bit, just over the left. Yeah, you can use that sideboard on the right a little bit more today at least.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that seventeenth green's pretty sweet. I think, yeah, oh, it's awesome.
Speaker 3: It's all. That's what I'm saying. It's a great green.
Speaker 2: Just make it like you know what I like, if you hit a good drive, you get up on top of that hill. If you don't your shot, you've got that upslope. It's kind of it makes it. It's got a unique little twist there where you know, if you hit a really good driver rewarded with like a great you know shot in versus like an average driver. If you lay back, you get that upslope, which makes that shot kind of tough.
Speaker 1: I feel like you're also coming out thirteen, thirteen, fourteen, fifteen, sixteen, which are all holes you can you can make some noise on. I don't know, I kind of like, I kind of like having a little punchback.
Speaker 3: O dohn't no man. Fourteen can get kind of gnarly with where the.
Speaker 1: Yeah the green is nasty too, yeah bunker.
Speaker 3: I think that's my only thing about about Augusta is. And I think it's probably why three has grown on me over the years too, is there's not really a truly risk reward drivable hole with how they've moved three back over the years. And then you know, it's like there needs to be something.
Speaker 1: I feel like all the part five, all the part five is going to fill that for me.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and and and I'm I'm going to get absolutely roasted by people for even suggesting the changes or anything like this.
Speaker 2: So eleven eleven's gotta change, I'll tell you that much.
Speaker 3: Just eleven sucks so boring.
Speaker 2: Now it's tight.
Speaker 3: Seven and eleven are probably the two worst holes in the course.
Speaker 2: Now, yeah, eleven, they just freaked out because everybody was hitting wedges in you know, it's but.
Speaker 3: That was better. It just just keep tucking the pin over to the left to make the green fastest ship.
Speaker 1: And then I do love I love eleven when I just I don't know what you'd have to do if you have to just like if you have to just shorten it by like twenty yards or something. But like seeing guys come into that green and like seeing them kind of like play to the right guy take the yeah and take it on, and like seeing balls go up to the water and like that gets cool. But it's just like I don't know if it's a little too long or a little too tight, or maybe it's just a little too soft this week or something. I don't know, like this is too much.
Speaker 3: And then they added all the trees down the right, and then yeah, it's basically become like and I guess it goes back to that. I think it was Hogan or somebody where it was like, yeah, if you hit the green on eleven, you were aiming twenty yards too far back, but right, you know, I don't know. I just I feel like at the least a hole should should dictate trying to hit the green, you know, trying the and all the bailouts to the right just kind of pissed me off.
Speaker 1: Yeah, depending where the depending where the pin is, that chip can get spicy though, which is fun.
Speaker 3: Well, that's the thing if you if you put the pin front right, that's the that's the spiciest chip on the course.
Speaker 2: Right then, Well, I think I think what people are? They do theirs? They just hedge their best.
Speaker 6: It's like, okay, if I make a five here, it's not the biggest deal. Like I just can't make a six or seven. So you if you bail right, you still have a chance at four and you take all the big the big number out of play.
Speaker 1: Really, what do you think the wind has made twelve so good this week?
Speaker 2: What do you think the uh this cutoff right now is for a guy that can win? Do you think like one over two?
Speaker 3: Over two?
Speaker 1: So the people at two are Schwarzel, Matsiyama and Kimer Hot Charles. I don't know. I could see I could see Matsuyama just taking it deep on the weekend. Bunch of people at three, tons of people, Ernie Duffner, Westwood, Leashman has Jimmy Walker, Rusty Henley, your boy, Brendan's steal b.
Speaker 7: Steward outside of Stewart and and uh, Henley and Casey could go love.
Speaker 3: Nobody else's nobody else is making a run on the group.
Speaker 2: I can see. I can see Casey making a run. You two.
Speaker 3: And Kepka might stink.
Speaker 2: Though, who's stunk the most?
Speaker 3: Well? I think the question is who doesn't stink? Uh?
Speaker 5: I mean besides J d J Speak and you know I'm gonna go and I would say speak.
Speaker 1: DJ and Rom are the only players that don't stink.
Speaker 2: Peters Peters hasn't hasn't stunk, has Yeah, he hasn't stuck.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 2: I think I think Willie McGirt, dirt McGirt hasn't stung.
Speaker 3: I'm not talking about the masters, I'm talking about like it in general. Like but here's the thing. If everybody stinks, then does anybody stink?
Speaker 2: Nobody thinks? Then exactly nobody sinks.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this is getting pretty conceptual.
Speaker 3: It's a philosophical questions.
Speaker 2: Can cut out bookmarking it bookmark all right, So I'm gonna hit you guys both, just rapid fire answer who wins this these matchups? All right? Justin Rose, Adam Scott Rose, Scott, Peter's Fowler.
Speaker 3: Oh man, I'm.
Speaker 1: Gonna say Peters, I loved watching him today.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna say foul. I think I think Peters is he's still marinating a little bit.
Speaker 2: All right, Well, we're gonna go with Coucher, McElroy, DJ, please pick Coocher.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna say, oh man, this is one we're talking about. One round of golf, one round of golf.
Speaker 3: Only do it, don't do it? Actually?
Speaker 2: Do it?
Speaker 3: Do it? DJ.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna say McElroy only because it's only because it's Saturday, it's Sunday. He's making a big backdoor charge.
Speaker 3: They both would be wait wait wait no, all right, all right, okay, So you're saying Coucher ships his pants on Saturdays.
Speaker 1: I'm saying, if Coocher is starting the day five back on Sunday, he's going out at at one in the afternoon and putting up in sixty seven.
Speaker 3: But if he's going back in the if he's going out in the lead, yeah, on Saturday he's shooting seventy seven, right.
Speaker 1: Right, But tomorrow, with like a chance to put himself in position, I don't think he's gonna do it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, obviously, Michael.
Speaker 2: Here's a guy you know, he had top ten last year. Soren Kelson and Charlie.
Speaker 3: Oh, I'm on team. I'm on team Big Dane her Little Dane Kelton in short though, Yeah, Kelton, I'm thinking Keltsondy quivocally well story.
Speaker 1: And what about Sergia, Sergio and Charlie Hoffman.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Sergio, Charlie.
Speaker 1: I'm taking. I don't know, I don't think. I don't think I would say Charlie Hoffman. I don't think he's gonna get blown away tomorrow.
Speaker 3: I think he's blown away. But I think I think Sergio is can shoot a shoot a historically relevant round.
Speaker 2: All right, who's uh, who's your pick to win?
Speaker 1: Man? I'm I'm going to speak all the way back from back from the Dead Lazarus.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna shock the world. Richard Flower blooms.
Speaker 1: I don't think that's that's shocking. He's time for the lead.
Speaker 3: I don't know. I think I think I think Richard Flower does it. I think he's the throne. And then and then Golf Digest just like it's like a super nova, a Golf Digest headquarters and they just cream themselves.
Speaker 1: The super nova would be uh imploding got itself. It'd be a dead star.
Speaker 3: That's what I'm saying. Oh, they just can't win, and then they implode on themselves. Okay, because there's so much millennial content, the movement's too big.
Speaker 2: All right, I'm gonna take I'm going with my boy Peters. You know I've been I've been saying master sleeper for for for months now, so I'm gonna stick with it now that he's here. So uh, let's uh, let's get you guys out on a Frida Egg tradition here of a little overrated, underrated rapidly. So we're going to start with Augustine National in general.
Speaker 1: Underrated, properly rated. Oh no, you can't do that.
Speaker 2: You can't do that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you can't.
Speaker 3: Number two, you can number two or three fours in the world.
Speaker 1: And Andy's all about hot takes.
Speaker 3: Man, I'm gonna say it's overrated until they redo the bunker.
Speaker 2: Okay, seems a good take. That's a good take. The next one will go with Curtis Luck's apparel.
Speaker 1: I think overrated, I'm not. I know you like it. I'm out.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna say underrated. I really so people have been probably seven or eight people have floated the question to me today on Twitter, what do you think about Curtis Luck and just getting hot after him? I like him. I think Austin's are exempt me hating on him from wearing outrageous shit. So I'm gonna say underrated if he has enough confidence to wear it and made the cut as an amateur, although amateur with an asterisk, I think he's I think he fucked.
Speaker 1: Can I can I challenge that very briefly and say, does this include the Operation Iraqi Freedom outfit that Adam Scott wore yesterday?
Speaker 3: What does that have to do with Chris Luck?
Speaker 1: You said, exempt from fashion?
Speaker 3: Oh no, yeah, okay, okay, uh yeah no that yeah, Adam Scott, Well, Adam Scott's a globalist, just a.
Speaker 1: Complete tannimal yesterday.
Speaker 3: He's a globalist. So he's a Swiss citizen, I think. So, Yeah, I can we can say as much bad stuff as we want about Adam I'm Scott's apparel yesterday.
Speaker 1: I just feel like that like a very very very rare miss. I feel like he's usually number one or two in the in the Fashion Power rankings.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think unique low let him down a a uniquely awful path yesterday.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we'll go with uh, Brian Stewart.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna say, I'm gonna say, I'm gonna say over I'm gonna say underrated, because I mean, I feel like he's not rated, Like I feel like he has a lot of upside because he just hasn't been rated yet. He's a PJ Tour winner. Man, I think it was like a thirty six hole event, but you know, still he.
Speaker 3: Beat uh, he beat Andy's boy Jamie Lovemark.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Actually, I'm gonna say he's underrated. I'm gonna give him a lot of credit. I just put up his owg R. Missed a couple, he missed a few cuts, and then he went he went T sixteen at Bridgestone, and then he's been playing relatively well. He's been making a lot of cuts this year.
Speaker 1: So you know what, anyone, anyone who just kind of keeps their card and just hangs on tour for like five years whatever, like underrated. That's an underrated skill.
Speaker 3: Especially when you're especially when you're like the most nondescript guy in the world, and like al under is coming from encourse earnings. Like I think there's something to be.
Speaker 1: Said that totally agree.
Speaker 2: All right.
Speaker 1: I also love last thing about Brian Stewart. I know we're doing dedicating a lot of time, but this is another one of my my things is that I love, love, love when these guys live in like places that are not tour player haven't. He lives in Michigan, Jackson, Yeah, so cool him, Leashman, strep Stricker, Troy Merritt, you.
Speaker 3: Bang this drum Non lives in Virginia Beach Like it's it's some it's some cross to bear to live in Virginia Beach, Virginia.
Speaker 1: No, no, no, I don't mean that at all. I just mean it's it's awesome that when guys make decisions the way that we make decisions, which is like, yeah, my wife's family is from there, so that's where we live, not like well yeah, yeah, exactly awesome.
Speaker 2: All right. Last last overrated underrated. Ernie El's career.
Speaker 1: Drastically underrated.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna say I love Big He's one of my favorite human beings, but I'm gonna I'm gonna say overrated. I think I think I think Ernie should have won eight majors.
Speaker 2: I think I think Ernie's career very similar to another man that's in the top twenty that constantly gets put on a top ten player of all time, pedestal Phil Mickelson.
Speaker 1: Man, I don't think we have enough time in the podcast to get into your hatred for this.
Speaker 2: I just I mean Ernie Els. Let's get Ernie Els made it to the top. Ernie El's made it to the top of the mountain multiple times. He won Player of the Years, he won he was the number one ranked player in the world when when Tiger was around, Phil's never done it. They've got you.
Speaker 3: Bang on Phil for not being the number one player in the world more than.
Speaker 2: He never was number one player in the world, player of the Year or won a money list. In my book, you got to be the one of the best. You have to be the best player at least once in a year to be a top ten player of all time.
Speaker 3: All right, So here's the question for you. Was Bill Russell ever the best player in the NBA?
Speaker 2: I think he won some m vps.
Speaker 3: Or was h Was Tim Duncan ever the the best player?
Speaker 2: I think he won like two or three m vps?
Speaker 3: Also, Yeah, but would you take him over anybody? Else.
Speaker 2: I think Tim Duncan was the best player in the generation. He was better than Kobe.
Speaker 3: Okay, I'm not kidding anywhere with this take.
Speaker 1: Then that's a consistent take. I've heard him say that before, unprovoked. We're just watching, We're just walking around the golf course in Austin. He started talking about how Tim Duncan's the best player of all time, that of.
Speaker 2: All time, of that generation. Similar similar Phil's flash yer he says more in front of the media. But I think Ernie els was basically has the same career. I know Phil was.
Speaker 3: Never gifted a major either. I mean Ernie was.
Speaker 1: Ernie was gifted until.
Speaker 2: This week, yeah whatever, so so so all right, So so I think he's got He's got two Britishes, He's got you got two Britishes in two US Open.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Congress, Yeah, with them in mirrorfield, right.
Speaker 2: I don't know how many wins, I don't know how their wins stack up, but.
Speaker 1: It's probably pretty close.
Speaker 2: Ernie was number one in the world, Ernie was, Ernie won a moneyless, Ernie was Player of the year, same amount of majors.
Speaker 3: I do think the one thing that that helps Ernie's case is the fact that Ernie was a global player I think can be said to that where granted he had he said five point fifty for like twenty years now, being a global player isn't all that hard. But globalist, but I mean the guys, the guys played a shitload of golf all over the world for a long time and done it consistently, and like that was something at bay Hill, like somebody asked him. He came out on the putting green and he had his charity event down in Jupiter or wherever the day before, and somebody asked him if he had flown up from Jupiter or if he drove, and he had to think about it. He was like oh, he was like he was like, um, They're like, oh, big earned did you drive? You fly today?
Speaker 2: And U.
Speaker 3: I drove, you know, like it took him a little while, you know, one another like that that's powerful.
Speaker 2: Earn is apparently one of the most generous guys to younger players, giving him rides on the jet all the time as long as they supported charity outing. So you know, that's he's a good guy too.
Speaker 3: I'm I'm I'm I'm sportsman. Bernie's a sportsman.
Speaker 2: I'm on big ern and Phil being on about the same tier. There. You know, you can have your arguments either way, but I think Phil is drastically overrated in the career scope.
Speaker 3: All right, So here, all right, So going back to your original question, I think Ernie's career is probably overrated in the grand scheme of things, just because I don't think he accomplished as much as his talent warranted. But I think Michelson's career is also overrated in the grand scheme of things because I think he was capable much more as well. So that's not really a value just as it is just the sheer competitiveness of the what if?
Speaker 1: What if you include Phil's potential wins, meaning like wins he could have gotten if he was trying.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but then yeah, you know what, man, I get back to that, and like, I think that's a bad take on my work because like Phil won the Houston Open one year, Like there's no way that he would have won the Houston Open, Like there's no way he was even trying to win the Houston Open. But he just won that by default because he just fell into that win.
Speaker 1: Like I think if I think, if I remember he shot like sixty two on Saturday, and then he was like, oh ship yeah, and they say he just caught a heater. And then you're like, all right, well I can probably win as well.
Speaker 3: Bank. I might as well bank one point one, yeah, and then get in with big oil and probably fuel at the next five years, you know. So all right, Andy, So you got Peters winning it, DJ, you have winning and you got.
Speaker 2: Mm hmm.
Speaker 1: You know. The one matchup we didn't do is uh McGirt Moore tomorrow.
Speaker 3: Oh I'm going More.
Speaker 1: I got it, you know.
Speaker 2: I I was on McGirt on Wednesdays, but I just was on More earlier. That's a tough one. I you know, that's that's the the twosome that's going to get the least amount of airtime tomorrow that I'm the most intrigued to watch.
Speaker 1: I love watching Ryan Moore.
Speaker 2: I just hate how he like has to wiggle into his shots. You know how he does like his like shimmy before he yea, It's just.
Speaker 1: Like he's on Orthodox. Man. I love it.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna go with Ryan Moore. I'm not going with McGirt, And I think I think the moment is going to be too big for him.
Speaker 3: McGirt, all right, what else, what else we need to cover?
Speaker 2: That's I think that's it, and think of her. We gotta keep this short so people can listen to it before the telecast.
Speaker 3: We're in an hour and five minutes.
Speaker 2: All right, Well, all right, enjoy tomorrow. Good having you guys on.
Speaker 1: Thanks man.
Speaker 3: All right,