Speaker 1: Welcome to the solid verbal home that for me, I'm a man, I'm forty.
Speaker 2: I've heard so many players say, well, I want to be happy. You want to be happy for a day? Edo state is that?
Speaker 1: Woo? Woof and Dan and tie.
Speaker 3: Welcome back to the solid Verbo boys and girls. My name is ty Hild, the brand that fun gentleman over there as always still the incomparable.
Speaker 2: Sounding a little bit healthier to Dani Psteine, sir, how are you? I am feeling better. I'm especially excited about today's interview because it's a gentleman with whom we have not spoken in quite some time. But I got in a lot of tennis real early this morning, six thirty am starts. It's another beautiful, beautiful spring day, Illinois, the Midwest. It's always Did I make that specifically for this intro? I may have, Yes, I may have indeed.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So other than the cold, life is good. Can't complain. I'm gonna bake some pizzas today and tomorrow probably I got I'm trying out an outdoor oven.
Speaker 1: Ty.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm not sure I like it yet. Yeah, yeah, but no if I get my three p's in what playing tennis podcast in pizza in the same day, in the same week. I'm not here to complain. Life is all right.
Speaker 3: All right, Well, that's good to hear. We welcome everybody back to the show. Hope you all had a good weekend. Don't forget this episode, all our episodes driven by our good friends over at geico. If you have yet too, please do hit that subscribe or follow button that helps us out more than we could possibly articulate here at the top of the show, tell your friends. We're going to continue doing two episodes a week publicly. We've also got a third episode and then some additional bonus episodes that we do over atverballers dot com. That's our Patreon, which is still going strong. The discord server continues to pop off, continues to give us great feedback, great ideas for ways that we can make this show better and more valuable for the general public. Sold Giveaway dot Com has a new helmet. I mentioned it a couple times now, but an AJ Brown signed ole Miss Mini helmet. We've gotten a number of entries folks who want to get in on the running to win that completely free. It's completely free. We just need a few quick and easy steps from you before we can get your name in the hat. And last, but certainly not least, don't forget to go on out and follow us at social media, all the usual platforms and YouTube.
Speaker 2: All those spots.
Speaker 3: We would very much appreciate that. As Dan mentioned, our guest of honor today, Mike Goulig Junior, formerly a ESPN now former Notre Dame player. We had Mike on Gosh, I can't even tell you how many times we've had him on. It's been a handful of times. At one point, at one point I interviewed him to talk about Notre Dame. I think it was a solo thing, certainly through the pandemic.
Speaker 2: We had him on to.
Speaker 3: Do our little barroom slash Twitter trivia game that we were playing. We may have had him on at another point in time.
Speaker 2: We did because we talked about the coffee mapps.
Speaker 3: That's right, that's right, yep. So I feel like I'm a little bit unprepared with the exact chronology of events here as it relates to mister Golick. But he's going to be stopping by. Just want to get his deal man, not necessarily what's next for him?
Speaker 2: What's your deal man?
Speaker 3: But I mean, look, he's got a lot of interesting experience as it related to college football. He's played, he's broadcasted across a number of different mediums. Now I'm just interested in is a historian and where he's at now with the rapid pace of change in college football?
Speaker 2: Can I give Mike before he comes on the best possible compliment? I think I can give somebody in his position, which is somebody who does, who has done and will continue to do. I hope and think radio or audio in some capacity has called games on TV and radio has you know, done the live stream thing for ESPN, and it will continue to be a voice within the sport. But he seems to really like football, and that's not always the most clear thing among people who are especially radio and audio team whatever that they're like. There's a lot of people out there who like being right about football your alters of dan types, but they seem to like, here is my insight about how football is, rather than Hey, wasn't that cool that that football thing happened? Or isn't it cool that this football thing is happening? What do you think will happen? Isn't it cool that all sorts of things could happen. Isn't it cool that these players are playing? And I don't always get that as I look across social media or I look across TV radio podcasting that landscape, and I think Mike is a prime example of somebody who just is super into football, which I like. How about that? Does that make sense to you?
Speaker 3: He's got an authenticity to him. Yeah, plays well here, So Michael Junior, gonna stop by here momentarily. Again, don't forget to go on out tor website verbolt dot com. If you got anything you want to give us a shout about. We can always be found at sliverable at gmail dot com. All right, Dan joining us now, it's our friend currently in between jobs.
Speaker 2: You know him?
Speaker 1: Well?
Speaker 3: I think the last time we had him on was to talk about something in the Notre Dame world, or maybe we did trivia during the it's been a while, Oh yeah, I think so, Mike Golick Junior, how are you, sir?
Speaker 1: I'm good. Yeah. It was pandemic trivia and I was really like silently hoping that that wasn't what I was coming back on now, just because as you guys saw, I suck so bad at trivia that every time I am forced to do it in public, it is like a reminder of my like biggest insecurity.
Speaker 2: What I want to do ty is and I don't have the questions in front of him. I want to do specific trivia for Mike Golick Junior's interests, right, Like wheelhouse trivia is my favorite kind of thing, because then not only will he know the answers, but we'll all be impressed with like local Connecticut zoning laws or something that is just so specific to what he knows about. I don't know why I mentioned that, but yeah.
Speaker 1: A local Connecticut zoning laws, the rotating cast of monthly donuts offered at the donut place that I go to down the street every week. Anything at this point, anything having to do with mayonnaise, because that's apparently who I am.
Speaker 2: Now it's your corner. Do you have the most inventive donut donut that you've seen like the last year. Is there something that people should keep an eye out for trend wise in the donut world?
Speaker 1: I would say trend wise were really majoring in a lot of the same stuff we have been for a while. Red velvet, I think is always going to be something sexy, visually pleasing, flavor wise and riching. The donut shot by me Donut Crazy in West Harford, Connecticut. A little bit of free pub for them, because wonderful. They do a red velvet donut that has like cookie dough shoved inside and then puts a burnt marshmallow on top, and then there's a little other coating there. Like it's really just like, for lack of a better terms, like a flavor orgy that goes down there.
Speaker 2: So I so there's obviously a lot of people know about, like the maple bacon bars that's become a thing that is that has swept the donut world. I saw a new sweet and savory combo just on a menu. I haven't had it yet, but there's a place here in Chicago that does a fries in the frosty donut with little bits of potato above a chocolate ganache donut. So you have that sweet and savory, which if you're a fries and frosty person, that should resonate.
Speaker 1: I feel like if you're anyone, that should resonate. Like again, like texture wise, it's a delight in the sweet and savories and undefeated. Man, I'm very intrigued.
Speaker 2: Yeah, very So next time you come out here to visit, Adam a mean or me or some might need to go out of your way tire you. You look skeptical.
Speaker 3: Ty, I'm just trying to figure out the economics of this.
Speaker 2: I think it's like potato Crispi's.
Speaker 3: But there's so much that goes into making the donut.
Speaker 2: How much does it cost?
Speaker 3: And could it possibly be worth it for the guy making it? Oh?
Speaker 2: It's god. I mean, I don't think the ingredients of the issue. It's just a chocolate donut with like potato crispies, a top and and people of the donut ilk I'll on Mike Golick Junior are willing to pay for a premium product.
Speaker 1: Sure, sure, okay, that is the thing I'm walking into you know this spot out here, and they have that delineation where it's very upfront like, hey, the crazies as they're called, which are the rotating cast of specialty donuts, You're gonna have to pay a little more out of pocket for these yah and people are lining up down the street for it. So it is, you know, if you got the donut artistry in the imagination Spungs feel like a low cost place too. I mean, hell, like potatoes and peanuts. Five guys literally has peanuts stacked by the door like they're going out of style, right. I think anything in that range is probably gonna be okay.
Speaker 2: Is that does that suit you? Type?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 3: I guess yeah. I'm not preparing to talk about donuts, you know me, It's just not my lane. So, mister Golic, college football is sort of our thing here. You've had a few months now to sort of catch your breath as you kind of plot your next move. College football has been ever so complicated over the last couple of months, not just with coaches moving around Nil certainly taking more of a front seat in the recruiting game. We also have a lot of movement on the transfer portal. What has it been like for you as a former player, as a media personality, someone who I would imagine is always going to be invested pretty heavily in college football. How have you been able to keep track of all of this stuff going on? And has it at all affected your love foresaid thing?
Speaker 1: No, I think like because the one part of college football, and I remember having this conversation with my dad this last football season because he was doing college games for Learfield IMG on radio and NFL games for Westwood One, and we were just remarking, and I've talked about this with Adam Amean before another, but just how much easier the preparation is for the NFL product than the college product, because you've got so much more roster stability year over years, certainly smaller rosters, especially on game day, a more well known cast of characters. College football has always been difficult because you've got new cycles of players coming in every year, and now you've just upgraded the volatility and movement for all this That makes it a little harder to keep track of, but I think also just inherently a lot more fun. I'm always going to skew pro player rights just because that came from and so I just a perfect example. I did the Inside the Gross podcast with Kyle Hamilton and the Notre Dame players this last week and just seeing what they've been able to do with that, and seeing the way that now all of the parts of recruiting that had been you know, we talk about happening under the table, and the payouts and the things like that are starting to you know, just reshape in the form of collectives that are putting money into these programs, and the way it's all reshaped to essentially, finally say, the funding that we have seen support the marquee programs in college football is now starting to go towards the players instead of putting an expensive name on another building or an indoor facility. To me, seems like progress in the ways that I want, even if it's going to come with some complications in the.
Speaker 2: Interim fair one of the things I talked about recently and I was trying to sort of make sense of because I think nil is a no brainer and hopefully just a first step. I think it's a no brainer in terms of we're seeing more humans from players, right, We're seeing the guys with personality, hopefully more and more shine and build up and I hate the word brand, but build up a place within the sport where if you're living in Florida, but there's a quarterback at Washington State with a big personality and doing cool things, whether it's on Instagram or whatever, you're like, oh, that's cool. I like this guy. I'm going to follow Washington State games more than I perhaps was. That's the goal with all of this that we have a more human sport. But another part of me and I don't know if it's nil, and you know, I think it's heart of transfer portals and opt outs and coaches moving around, players moving around. Is it's difficult to be a college football fan. It's easy to be an Arkansas fan. It's easy to be an Arizona State fan. Well not lately, but it's easy to be a fan of a team. The sport is incredibly complicated. If you're just like college football, what's the deal with that? I'm going to learn more and you're like, well, welcome to recruiting, welcome to buyouts, welcome to four hundred and thirty seven things that you have to follow that you don't if you just want to kind of get into the NFL. Is college football going down a road? And I think it is that it's becoming very gradually kind of anti fan in how difficult it is to follow.
Speaker 1: I would say no, just because we've seen other sports exist with a similar model. Like I've said this a million times in anyone I've talked to recently because I just finished reading it, but I read the club talking about, you know, the format start of the Premier league, and it is I mean, the Premier League to me, is a great comp for what college football is, which is this mass of you know, somewhat related entities who all play the same sport, who vary in the way that they bring money into that sport, where really it is mostly driven by the upper crust of about twenty to twenty five teams that do the bulk of the heavy lifting in something that's extremely complicated with transfer windows, the amount of things that go on with their transaction wise, that for American fans can be somewhat daunting. So I still think we've seen like people are willing to understand that. But I think it's also on the other end. Makes it really interesting with the presentation because we hear a lot of the criticism of the College Football Playoff, the focus on the drive towards the College Football Playoff. Obviously, ESPN, my former employer, takes a lot of heat for the way that that's presented in making it seem like the only part. But to your point, if you are trying to market this as a national product and a national game, is there not an argument to say, hey, maybe simplifying the formula and saying being one of these four teams. Good being on the outside of that bad and letting that be a part of the sport, knowing that you can have access to all these other more complicated things if you want to dive into the deep.
Speaker 3: End, right, Mike, I want you to put your player hat back on for a second. Everybody in college football media with a microphone has some sort of opinion on playoff expansion.
Speaker 2: Keep it at.
Speaker 3: Four, move to twelve, go to sixteen, like it runs the full gamut. As you know, from a player's perspective, the thought of having a couple extra playoff games, perhaps having a wider net as it relates to qualification for the playoff. How do you think players feel about that possibility?
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know what, It's so funny. I the more and more I do this, the more I think back, I was like, as a player, you really are so locked into And this was I think something that was probably more common when I was in school, which is, you know, over a decade about a decade ago now compared to now, where these players do have a lot more voice. Part of NIL and all the things that we've seen about player rights is we've seen an increasing uptick in their ability to way in on these things and their willingness to way in on these things. So I won't necessarily paint them with the same rush I'm gonna paint us with. But we just didn't think about it quite as much, right We were more, Hey, we're going to show up, give us the parameters, and we'll go out and operate in the midst of that. And so there was I think a little more willingness. You know, Millennials, we were tagged as the Why generation pretty early, where we wanted a little more reasoning. But I think in general, it's you're a high level competitor who came there or the opportunity to win a national championship. For me, specifically, you're at Notre Dame. You didn't have anything else, you didn't have the conference stuff, so that was your only goal. And so if you're given a broader avenue to that, and if you are Notre Dame, if you're the PAC twelve, if you're the group of five, that's certainly enticing in those ways. And I think now we're just getting more players that are maybe realizing obviously the wealth and equity in the people in the center of the arena and the people surrounding the sport that make all the cash, but also the part about their bodies, Like at some point that part of the conversation won't be had because at the end of the day, we all know that's not going to drive or effect decision making at all in this process, which is the shame. But it's the reality that you're asking players that are still in the development portion physically and otherwise in their careers to go out and tack on even a few more games to all that, and that affects the NFL guys that are going to potentially go on where you've got that long year where it's combine training into pro days and rookie camps and you don't really have that break, and the players on the other side of that that are just you know, being taxed more than they used to. But I think that's definitely a factor, and I think we see guys a little more aware of that now. But in general, you're high level competitors with a limited window to do this. We all probably would have been like, all right, that means we got a better chance going into the season, and that's probably a good thing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think you're right, you know, in general, the whole topic of player conditioning player safety is one that was sort of underserved while all of this was circulating out there about playoff expansion. I think it was the ACC commissioner who brought it up and caught some flack for it, but I think he was wise to at least try to bring it onto folks radar, Like, we could come to a point here pretty soon where you've got guys that are playing fifteen sixteen, maybe said, I don't know how many they're going to expand to, but a lot of games. It's like an NFL regular season. The difference being in the NFL you get paid to do it full time. You get paid to condition yourself full time. When you're in college, you got some other stuff on your plate, right, You're you're sort of in the developmental stage.
Speaker 2: And you have union, right, yes, and you pro to collectively bargain yeah, how many games?
Speaker 1: Yeah? And it's and listen, and I understand and hear people who say too that it's only going to be a select few teams that end up playing markedly more or even a couple more games than are on the schedule right now. Like all those things you apply, but you're right, it's that notion of the fairness of this was agreed upon by all of us, whereas now it's just dictated.
Speaker 3: To yeah, right, Yeah, I mean, I guess the thought that comes to mind for me is how many programs out there? And I think you're you're wise to point out it might only be a handful that consistently play that number of games in a given year. But it does make you wonder how many programs out there actually have the infrastructure, and by that I mean like conditioning infrastructure to handle that added burden, especially later in the year when bodies are breaking down a little bit more. It seems like that's quite a challenge that has not really been articulated well enough.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think that's kind of going to be a similar answer to what we have now though, right, because I mean, even even going back, it's always been teams with the quality depth to manage that attrition. Like I remember talking about this leading up to the BCS when we played Bama, and the book was no one used that forty days better than Alabama because they've got so much quality depth. Nick grinds them so hard during the SEC season and then you get that time to build their bodies back up, and so I think we're going to see, you know, it's it's the teams that can recruit five star depth everywhere the way Alabama, Georgia, Ohio State and others have for so long that are going to be and you know, that are well funded enough, whose sports nutrition and sports science departments are at that point where they can use all that because I mean, now we're in the age of you know, movement tracking and all these different things that were you know, just being whispered about in you know, twenty twelve, twenty thirteen, twenty fourteen that are just accepted everyday parts of the sport. So I I think it's going to continue to be those sort of same things. I think it's who is the blue chip principal the blue tab ratio, Yeah, the blue chip ratio, but elliots, yeah, yeah, it's going to be that same principle. I think the Bud brought up because in general, the teams that are operating within those parameters are the ones that have the structure everywhere else to kind of feed what we're talking about.
Speaker 2: So what we're talking about right now is we're talking about the top of the top of the top of the sport, right, and that we're seeing a lot of the same teams playing a lot of the same games year over year. And your now former job, which you had like seven of them at ESPN, it seemed, whether it was calling games, whether it was doing your live stream, so it was doing your radio show, it involved a lot of conversation. And we are guilty of the same thing about the teams who are winning the most games, the teams who are putting themselves with the highest TV ratings that people care seem to care about the most. You've had this time away from a microphone, have you looked into the sports? Have you been able to take in have you been able to enjoy have you been able to be curious about teams in the sport, coaches in the sport, players in the sports, storylines within the sport that like it's sort of a welcome change where you're like, oh man, that is interesting what I was doing, which that's a bad example because it's not, but it is interesting, like what San Diego State's defense is doing, or it is interesting what you know Oregon or Florida, any of these teams. Is there something that like beneath everybody else that's been grant and that's been sort of getting you excited.
Speaker 1: Well, I think in general, I could say that feeling for me that was fed while I was still working at ESPN, but two years ago during the pandemic, when I got to do Thursday night games that at that point were largely group of five. You know, we're living in the mac and the Sun Belt and getting to see a lot more of those teams up close, because, as you guys know, calling games like you're dealing with a level of intimacy with the product that you don't get doing talk radio or doing our Twitter shows, and so that was all is fun for me to kind of then meet like I took so much pride in getting to call Buffalo games, and then that later that spring, walk into the draft and be like, I can't believe no one took a shot on Jared Patterson. He's going to wind up making some team better, only to watch him end up making the Washington football team roster. Like those things were always super endearing, and so now like heading into the twenty twenty two season, because of where I left the end of last season and because I got to deal with them a little bit like a couple of times really watching Shane Beemer, South Carolina product, and what that's going to morph into the guy who became sort of college footballs Ted Lasso, who pulled off one of I think this like we're going to have to in retrospect talk about a lot more because I just recently saw an article about it, the level of secrecy that went into DK Joyner playing quarterback in that hole. Yeah for South Carolina where no one, I mean they wouldn't even let him warm up in pregame for that one and get any sort of touches, and like what went into that from a strategic standpoint to go out and win. You know, the the border war in the Duke's Mayo Bowl was incredible. But now it's become this launching point where there are more added eyes on this South Carolina program where all right, we've got them, We've got Mississippi State, We've got you know, Josh Hipels Tennessee that really took off one tended hooker got under center last year. You've got a lot of those like mid tier programs in a number of conferences that have come up in that way. But like you're right getting to enjoy stuff like that, getting to read, you know, and try and look into more of what's going to happen with Pitt Now that you know, you've got Whipple that's gone down in Nebraska that you're you know, in the post Kenny Pickett, they just extended, you know, their coach till twenty thirty, So all all of those things. You're right, I probably have a little more time to consume now, but those were things that were getting fed I think in large part because I was calling games more consistently.
Speaker 2: One of the things that we've talked about that I'm curious what your opinion is or I guess it's more of a I don't know if it's a trend, but it could be something worth following is the way coaches are reacting to the realities of twenty twenty two and beyond. And we have some older, grizzled guys, and whether it's recruiting who are like good coaches but like not putting the emphasis like what we've heard about Dan Mullin at Florida, like great offensive mind, disappointing results on the recruiting trail. Future didn't look bright. A change was needed, right and the locker room was lost. So there's like this culture recruiting guy versus like these grizzled old older coaches guy. Like there was the example, I think Chris Peterson was like, who's smarter than Chris Peterson? Who's a better coach? An offensive coach than Chris Peterson is a head coach? And by the end of his tenure he was like, I don't like the portal. I don't like where recruiting is going. I'm gonna call you know, games and I'm gonna do TV for Fox. That's I want to be a receivers coach at UC Davis. That's like one of the things he told Bruce Felman. I don't want to call it a talent drain, but do you see this heading in a dramatic coaching talent shift to those who are willing to accept realities and not willing to accept realities?
Speaker 1: Oh? I absolutely think so. Because the one thing in all of this, as much as I'm going to skew pro player and as much as what I say is always couch with your well paid so do it, is the understanding that the workload for coaches just went up a number fold, right from having to you know, make sure and they say recruit your own players. To me, it's always you've just got to keep the promises a lot more consistently than a lot of people probably have in the past, because that's always a part of this is where if you're being consistent in your message, the way it's applied, and the way that you build those relationships, I think it's pretty easy. Matt Brown was really insightful talking to him in the lead up for that Bowl game about the portal, which is, if we're doing our job the right way, players will want to stay. And if players want to leave, then the promises we made to them and their families in their living room where we were going to do right by them, And so he goes. We have all always tried to help whoever wants to leave wind up in that next spot, but it's still extra work. And so I think it'll be interesting if it makes the general coaching pool even younger than it had already been trending. Right we'd seen college and pro this tendency towards young, especially offensive minded coordinators getting a lot of these head jobs, and now you wonder if just because of the physical demand, you know, we'd notre name Marcus Freeman, him saying I'm going to be involved in every one of these recruiting pitches. I'm going to be in every kid's phone book and living room and just watching that world tour he went on the jet after he got signed, you know, leading up to the Fiesta Bal. I don't know if that's something that, like physically, people can really hold on to for all that long. And so you wonder if all of that does skew younger because I wouldn't blame a lot of these guys who have been around. Hell, even Dabo Sweeney when we talked to him during the season, he was one that was criticized for not necessarily being as involved in the portal. They had a bunch of guys leave, not a lot of guys come in. And he really hugs tight that mantra of we believe we build guys here through our culture. That still, even though we recruit at a high level now, our foundation is player development. All of these things you've seen Dabbo resistant to some of the change in college football for a while. But you a wonder if there are others like him who are certainly less successful, who just say, yeah, you know what, I've made enough money. I can go do something else and leave this to people who might be more willing to on the upward trajectory of their career absorb all this new workflow.
Speaker 2: You've been around players for a good amount of time now, dating back to when you played calling games, being around interviewing players, talking with players before games you call. Has there been a change at all in what you get from? And look, it's very easy to say like kids these days whatever, but like, I don't know eighteen year olds or eighteen year olds on a certain level, but they are faced with demands that TI didn't have to face when he was in college in the seventies. I didn't have to face, you know, as a non player obviously that you didn't have to face being recruited. And you know, whatever, two thousand and nine does. Does anything unique strike you about this current generation of players in terms of savviness, in terms of personality, in terms like is there anything unique to where we are right now in terms of this generation of players?
Speaker 1: I'd say, in general, like the meat of the bell curve is pretty similar, right, because so much of what we deal with is on the extremes in the media, and the meat of the Bell curve is honestly guys like me, Guys that wait three four years to get their chance to hopefully start a handful of games, to live out this dream of doing what they want to do and have the potential to change their family's life, whether it's through the education they receive or the potential for NFL dollars, and like all that stuff's they are all like the normal silly stuff that comes along with being eighteen to twenty two is there. But I think the one part that's been striking to me in a number of ways is how quick these guys have had to grow up through recruiting. Yep, Like we knew going back to when Lane offered you know whoever it was back in seventh grade. Like life kind of changed then with how quickly the eyeballs were on you. And I just remember when I was getting recruited, we were at the beginning of like those Nike Spark training things where they'd go through and rank guys on the other side of and it was starting to become that recruiting circuit was vital to your opportunity to go and receive a scholarship. Before I committed to Notre Dame. I was scheduled to go to like five different junior days that next month. You're going to hit the camp circuit that summer heading into senior year. Now, if you're not doing that as a freshman sophomore, if you're not involved in you know, elead eleven for quarterbacks, the seven on seven tournaments that have proliferated the sport. How those and the coaches involved in those have become a part of this recruiting process has already changed the way that players have to approach this decision, being more professional about it early on. Now you throw nil in on top of that, where the worry for always me, always for me, and I've seen born out in some of the reporting around this is you're going to get sixteen seventeen year olds that are approached with contracts that in some cases are bad, that are predatory, that are taking advantage of their rights at a time where they're seeing dollar amounts they could never have dreamed of, and they don't yet have at their disposal legal counsel people that can read over these contracts and help them, and so in a lot of ways, they've already had to grow up fast, and now we're about to watch that even hit hyper drive for the upper crust of the sport. You know, we're sitting around all debating the nil money that's coming arch Manning's way. Thank God, he has got an entire family lineage of people that are going to be able to take care of him. That's not going to be the same for everybody, and that's not just football, and so I think for that you don't get to figure it out slowly or make mistakes early on anymore. The stakes have been raised too high for a lot of these players.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I was going to say, Mike, the combo play of nil becoming more prevalent with the transfer rules changing, has certainly given players a lot more authority than they had, you know when you played, even a couple of years ago, when guys were playing. I mean, it's just a totally different universe now, you know. And we see it on our end running a podcast, sort of these dual universes between people who are out there huge college football fans and want to give players a little bit more of their own power versus just the pure fan in all of us that, as Dan said earlier, might be a little bit bummed out that the sport is changing so rapidly. Where do you kind of fall in that spectrum? I know you said earlier you're pro player, but how do you just sort of digest all of this change and the speed at which the sport is changing?
Speaker 1: New is always hard because we're creatures of habit, especially when it comes to sport. I'd say this, and this doesn't apply to a lot of people, and you guys mentioned sometimes it's hard to digest and keep track of as a fan to feel like the sports for you. I have always had like a very like uncomfortable suspicion. And this is you know, probably grounded in dealing with some of the lowest common denominator that you have this conversation with, whether it's colors into sports talk show or some of the worst you see on Twitter, or even what you've heard on the sidelines of games like I have a distinct memory when I was in an NFL preseason game of being on the sideline with our offensive line and hearing a fan yelling something and a couple of the guys in the O line, you know, Marky's pouncy Ramon Foster, and you hear this fan just start to go back to the tried and true line of well, I pay your salary, so shut the bleep up and go do that thing. There was always a part of me that felt like there was too large a section of college football fans that loved the sport because they knew they had more in one regard than the people playing it. Meaning you look out at millionaires you can't relate to in the NFL and feel like, all right, these highly paid guys I can say X y or there was a power dynamic in college that made me uncomfortable for a while because it felt like too many people enjoyed that. This notion that, oh, the game's more pure here because the players aren't played felt like a cop out for some feelings. They're a little more complicated to digest, and so I like that. We're getting away from some of that. New is going to be It's like an iPhone update, Right, We'll get used to it eventually, and it won't always be this extreme. The pendulum swings pretty hard, the portal's going to level out at some point. Right, all of this we're gonna get just through sheer volume of reps. Better at talking about it. Players are going to get better at being more judicious about this because, and I think it might have been Bud Elliott that I saw talk about this to give him credit again, was you're gonna see enough cautionary tales you're going to see if you're a player, like word of mouth still always the biggest part of all this, right for a player when you're getting recruited, nothing sells a team more than when you go on to visit. What the dudes in the locker room tell you there when you're really hanging out with them away from the facility. Thing is going to tell you more about that as a player potentially wanting to transfer, and nothing is going to show you more how you need to move in all these new spaces now that you have more agency than having a dude from your high school who jumped into the transfer portal and ended up down at the SCS level. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but seeing consequences for people you know, or people you can talk to, or enough people to where it's in the back of your mind as you make these decisions that I think is going to take care of a lot of this. In addition to us just getting used to you know the quote unquote new normal that we always talk about, which has its growing pains, and that's kind of where we're at right now.
Speaker 3: Let me switch gears here for a second, if I could. You are unique in the sense that you've had a chance to work across many different college football mediums, not the least of which was as a player, which will consider it.
Speaker 2: I like the word disciplines, by the way, has worked across many different disciplines.
Speaker 3: And we'll consider being a player one of those. Maybe not part of this question. Whether it's radio, mic, whether it's TV, whether it's calling games. You're doing this podcast. I know you've done other podcasts as well. Do you have a preferred medium now that you've had a chance to sample so many different ways of getting your voice out.
Speaker 1: Calling games is so much fun, man, Yeah, nice, it's It was the thing I fought the hardest for at ESPN because coming in I was, you know, starting off doing weekend radio and kind of having to slowly build everything, and you know where ESPN Digital was a huge way for like me and Jason Fitz and a number of others to get our voices out in the college football space. But I was always like man, I got to call a couple of radio games early on, like my second third year there, you know, I started doing you know, I was what was referred to as the X crew, where I was just sort of a floater. If you had a game, I was with a different producer almost every time, a different play by play almost every time. But getting to do that more consistently in the last two years especially, you know, preparation wise, it is the most similar to getting ready to play a game as a player. You get to watch a ton of tape, you get to talk to players and coaches, you have access and insight, and you get to zero in and sort of be an expert on one thing for a week. Because as a generalist, like I was on radio so much and you know, for a lot of the digital work I did, you kind of miss that feeling of knowing one thing with a depth that other people don't have, And so calling a game's a cool part of that is getting to feel like you know something intimately enough to offer an insight that's actually helpful. Right Like my job as an analyst was to teach, was to watch the game through my eyes with an audience and hopefully give people something that they didn't know going into it, make them laugh, whatever it is, but just how living and breathing that was being around stadiums, getting as close to the people, the players and the coach is still involved in that. I lived that existence. I know what goes into it, and we all get removed enough to at times treat the people involved like they're just characters on a board. Getting that close as always my reminder, these are people. They're dealing with a lot more than most of us realize on the outside. And so can I tell the story of those teams involved, the players and coaches with a sort of empathy to that that maybe just you know, makes us all pull back for a second ago, Oh, that's right. That's a nineteen year old kid who may have just lost a loved one at home, who's trying to get through finals, who had an off week last week, while dealing with all the things that come with a normal college football season.
Speaker 2: I'm curious about the conversations you've had with coaches pregame in that capacity, just because we've had a number of head coaches on and they're fine. Obviously head coaches, you know they're going to stick to a talking point or seven or whatever, and we have them on less and less because it just isn't always the most insightful thing. What percentage of coaches, coordinators, whoever that you'll talk to before a game are interestingly candid and honest and helpful, And I know it's in their interest to be that way because you can now give further context like, oh, this guy's been beat up, so that's why the secondary is struggling. Whatever. And have you ever walked out of one of those interview rooms where a coach was like, you know, if we take care of business doing X, Y and Z, I think we've got a good shot, And you yourself have thought the eugh is that guy talking about they're about to get destroyed? What are you talking about? Does that kind of thing happen?
Speaker 1: Oh? Yeah, that that happens a lot because and again like I have, like I always you know again, selfish, I'm selfish, and I make everything about me because it's.
Speaker 2: The easiest through.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but I always think about it, like going in the amount of times I got asked after that game against Alabama, well, do you guys really think that you were gonna win? My answer is always absolutely, Like what you think we just walked into the we're gonna roll over Like no, we were the number one ranked team in the country. We thought we were gonna win that game. I can understand as an outsider how it looks insane, but like when your boots on the ground doing the work every day, and especially when you enjoy any level of success or see the results from that, you're gonna wear that as a player. And so I understand as a player as a coach dealing intimately with that, how your jobs to go and win these games and you're part of that is I mean, we see plenty of coaches do those Miagi tactics. Even Nick Saban gets the chip on his shoulder for his guys. Your jobs to make everyone believe that that's possible, and sometimes that starts with making yourself believe it, even if it might not come naturally. So yeah, that's definitely happened plenty of times. But as far as how many are actually helpful, I think it's interesting. So there's a ton of factors that have gone into that, most notably in the last couple of years, a lot of the meetings pivoting to Zoom because of the pandemic has made that sure. I think coaches are inherently distrustful of technology, and when you get them in that setting, it feels more formal than when we go in the past be there in person and you're sitting in a room. There's not a microphone and phone on, no one's got a camera out. Some of these guys, especially when you're a former player, kind of know and at this point, now I've been doing this long enough to work like I kind of have you know coaches that were you know, listening to me when I was on morning drive for a little bit or just you know, there's some familiarity, so they'll loosen up a little bit and they'll give you stuff, especially once you proved them and you had them a couple of times and you've proved you won't burn them on the other side, right, Like I had a coach once an offensive coordinator for a team, and this is a lot more common, I'd say for teams in the Group of five, smaller Power five teams, ones that are not yet established, like George Alabama, Clemson, they don't have to give us stuff like everyone knows them. They don't need your help as much in selling the program. Some of these smaller schools, and I had one group of five school the offensive coordinator legit brought us into the meeting room and played us their Friday practice tape that they were going to show the players, including the plays that they were stealing from another like not stealing, but like the plays that they were implementing that another team had run against that common opponent. Showing us there like the same Friday practice cutups I would have watched as a player. He took us into the meeting room, took us through all all that, walked us through their thought process. I mean there's some coaches. I mean they'll give you, hey, this yard marker is this hash? We've got extrick play dialed up if you guys want to be ready for that. And they understand because they're trying to make sure the story of their program is told in that way. So yeah, you get plenty of that, you know, especially you get closer to game time stuff like you know what guys are injured, you know what they're seeing in pre game, you know trends they've seen leading up to it. Like that's the fun part too, is kind of taking the temperature in talking to a coach, you know, storyline wife what they've dealt with for the last few weeks, and getting a very real sentiment I have a very distinct memory of, and I know I'm not betraying a trust here, but I called Jamie Chadwell and Coastal Carolina's first upset of Kansas. I was on the road. It was like an ESPN plus Big twelve now game, and it was Coastal coming off of being displaced by the hurricane, right where they have been practicing in a number of different places leading up to it, and they beat Kansas, and that was sort of where Coastal started its rise to where we've seen them in recent years. But just getting to talk to them candidly about like, hey, these guys have been living out of hotels for the last few weeks. Tulane leading up to the Old Miss game this year, where they had been in a similar situation, was really informative of just getting like the intimate details of what life's been like for almost an entire athletic department, in Tulane's case, living out of a hotel. All that stuff really can inform again to try and humanize when things happen in a game. It's all right man like Tulane had heavy legs going against one of the best offenses in college football and Lane Kiffen's old miss They're also at the tail end of dealing with something that most people will never have to fathom in their lifetime, and so all of a sudden that stuff helps them becomes more understandable. So yeah, I'd say assistance. The smaller the school, and now the further along. You know, That's why being on site and getting these relationships are important, because then you get a few reps with each of these guys in the comfort level starts to grow.
Speaker 2: You might be a little bit more candid about this. Now, who do I talk to to fix ESPN's score bug? Who do I talk to the big fat score belt atop the bottom line that takes up eighteen percent of my beautiful four K screen? And I know certain sports have deals where like you can't show the bottom line like the Masters, it has to be like the nice, minimalist, beautiful score bug. Who do we call? Do we email? Do we petition? What do we do here? Because I want to see some field, I want to see some safeties. I want to see everything, well.
Speaker 1: Like obviously like leafitting would probably be a good place to go on there. Sure, sure we know the bizarre of all things college football at ESPN, but I'd say, like, honestly, like a staunch Twitter campaign might work like less. Do we not forget how quickly ESPN's Monday Night football score bug changed when they had that lime action green in it that was being mistaken for flags constantly.
Speaker 2: We have that still, we have that still in college we have the yellow.
Speaker 1: Yeah, in college we have the yellow. But remember the reaction was so strong in time they changed it mid broadcasts. So that still seems like the best recourse is to publicly shame someone on Twitter. And I'm certainly not campaigning for anyone to spam my former employer. No, no, no, it's on great terms. I love them dearly. But it seems like tweeting is still one of the most effective ways I've tried so far.
Speaker 2: Not we only I mean, we don't have like Ashton Kutch or followers. We've got a thirty thousand something, but man, it's it's rough. Is there anything like just now? As a consumer not necessarily about ESPN, You're like, man, I wish college football on TV were more had more of this you're always gonna get them complaints about like a four hour games whatever. But like we've been asked this question, like if we were in charge of CBS, BSPN or something like, how would you fix the broadcast experience of a college football game? Yeah, I mean you're on the spot, I understand, but yeah, no, Well.
Speaker 1: It's one of those things. Like again, the length has always been a part of it. Like I think what the NFL did this last year surrounding replay would go a long way. Yep, in a lot of that, But like I just think in general, doing what some leagues and I think the PLL did a really good job of this of getting under the helmet a little more. Premiere Lacrosse League did a lot more of those in game interviews, used the unbridled access that they have, And like, if you're a ESPN, you basically own the entirety of the sport. You are such an intimate partner in college football in so many ways that I feel like we could get even closer in a way that still. I mean, hell, we see it in the spring games every year, where you've essentially got Nick Saban and Davos twenty calling the games with the crew selling their programs, like the good teams will recognize these are all opportunities to market yourself even better. And I think now as we broach an area in a day and age where players have more agency and are more willing to talk and more able to because a lot of it's dictated by nil money and then being paid to, like, we need to know them even better and all that. So I'd say that, and then just in general, like you know, we also have to remember to not take it so seriously. I understand I'm the male guy, so I might be on.
Speaker 2: The furthest Yeah, yeah, of that, but.
Speaker 1: I'd say that's always a welcome part, Mike.
Speaker 3: Before I let you go, we'd be remiss if we didn't at least ask about Notre Dame Marcus Freeman. You know, there's a thousand questions that you can ask about this, the circumstances.
Speaker 2: The whole nine yards.
Speaker 3: I mean, it was really kind of a moment for people who follow Notre Dame football, But I wanted to talk to you specifically about the way that Freeman has constructed his staff, notably because he brought back an offensive line coach for whom I know you have a particular amount of admiration. Harry Heistan, How do you feel Freeman has done thus far in putting together his new staff. What's your level of optimism just based on early returns and what you've heard from people inside the program.
Speaker 1: Uh, very high optimism. Like obviously you retained a lot of your core identity. You know, I think there was a certain faction of college football people that saw the Al golden higher and kind of felt away based on his head coaching tenure. But like as I you know, talked to you know, Chris Canty, who I did a radio show with, and Chris Long I've gotten to know, like, you know, Chris who played for AL at the beginning of his time at Virginia, Like this a really good coordinator and a guy who's got a lot of college football under his belt, but also has that head coaching experience that I think is going to be vital for Marcus to be able to draw on at the beginning because we saw some of the learning curve in the Fiesta Bowl. Brian Pollian, who I thought would have been a good candidate for that after his head coaching time at Nevada, obviously went with coach Kelly down to LSU. So I think having that on the staff because you know, Tommy on the other side, is brilliant and it has been so much fun to watch the way that he is not necessarily grown, because I think a lot of this is stuff that like, you know, the people like me that were fortunate enough to know him personally in the other discipline of my career as a player, where I was with Tommy, like you knew, we always knew Tommy was going to be that guy, Like as a player, that's who he was. But now he's getting the national recognition for it, which is cool. But he's still, you know, twenty nine to thirty years old, doesn't have head coaching experience, so I think that's gonna matter a lot. But yeah, can and undersell Harry coming back to coach the offensive line like that was the bedrock of what Brian had done for the last decade. Harry was a part of building that. I mean, he was, he was the reason that happened. He was the coach that came on my fifth year at Notre Dame in twenty twelve. He's the one that produced all those first rounders, and he is a proven commodity, like I remember when he got hired. He was coming from Tennessee when I was there and we all looked at his track records, said, he's put pros into the NFL at every one of these spots, so we know if it doesn't work, it's not on him, it's on us as players. So I think that's going to be go a long way and studying this as they, you know, try and replace Jack Cone, Kyle Hamilton, try and replace the structure that Brian Kelly had there for a long time, and it's probably going to, like Notre Dame fans, we're not gonna, I doubt be as good this year. Like I think there's gonna be legitimate growing pains that have to be a part of this process. I hope I'm wrong. I'm always the skeptic every year because I know how difficult that is every year to go through, especially at that program. But I would just kind of like in the festival, let's take a beat on the massive expectations right out of the gate and allow this to develop so that we can get what this should be, which is a long term play for a young rising star that we managed to retain in Marcus Freeman that gets to stay and hopefully be the head coach there for a long time as we see him, you know, continue to push recruiting and all these things that could be the difference from Notre Dame being a CFP, you know, someone who becomes eligible, who makes it every once in a while, to someone that's actually competitive on that stage. And that's been the most encouraging part is seeing the inroads that him and the staff that he's put together, to go back to the original question, have made in the way they've approached recruiting and the results they've met it in that so far.
Speaker 2: Have you tailgated before?
Speaker 1: Man? It was so humbling. The first time I went back and tailgated a game. I remember I was given the Notre Dame game. It was a night game, and I went out Pole too, was always where my roommate freshman year was on the guys Across team. I was super close with those dudes. So I went back and I was like, I'm gonna get the poll two experience. Sure, And it's like forty five minutes before kickoff and I am blasted, and I just looked at one of my buddies and I'm like, yeah, I see why you guys always left it halftime. Yeah. Yeah, I am exhausted and.
Speaker 2: It's not an endurance bar off.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah. So no, I've I've been initiated and man it's rough.
Speaker 2: You so but you when you travel the country, I was fortunate. I've been to a lot of places for tailgatingly capturing the culture of college football. Is that something you'll be able to experience at all moving forward? But you're like, I just had pastelayah in Baton Rouge. I just ate a steak sandwich in Lincoln. Will you get to I don't know what you doing moving forward? Maybe we'll talk about off air. But is that something that in this new chapter you're interested in walking around with the sandwich board in Tuscaloosa and saying I will eat your ribs. That sounds a weird phrasing, but is that something that appeals to you?
Speaker 1: Oh, Matt massively because that to me, and again, in the way that we cover and sell college football, that's something that you've got that very few other American sports have, right, is the intimacy and the unique nature of these fans and these places. And so yeah, I mean I especially this last year where we were still operating with safety at the forefront of this and the COVID rules, Like, Man, I want to go back to Oxford, Mississippi and eat more gas station food. I want to walk through the growth, would be able to stop and tailgate. I want to go back down to LSU because I did get to go down there once and live the tailgate experience there. Right, Foxville was awesome before there, before the game, I called out there, it's just yes, that would I joking, not jokingly offered up to ESPN while I was still employed there. I was like, got something for you here, And by say offered, I mean I tweeted it at them, and of course course crowdsourcing method of this. I wanted to go off of Peyton and Elized places and go Mike's places. And obviously it's not going to be as good, well done or buttoned up as Peyton and Elized places. But essentially I wanted to go to a college football uh you know town, find one of their prominent usually football lums, and then probably a prominent like very online fan al lum, and I just want to get kind of drunk with them and walk around to the places that matter to them because every time someone goes to Notre Dame, they're like, all right, where are the places I need to go that you go? And there's always a difference there. And so I wanted just kind of go and get a little bit drunk and eat a lot of food at different college football towns and call it Mike's places and have someone go hard and put that on some sort of internet platform. So, yes, massively appealing.
Speaker 2: I've got a hard lemonade sponsor that I think could be interested in that concept. Yeah, so what's on the list? What's on the list?
Speaker 1: Now?
Speaker 2: What's on the places you've been, places you recommend people go to. We have a sizeable amount of people who say, who ask us this question? As well we try to give them answers. What's now on your your travel list? Specifically for food?
Speaker 1: Specifically for food, I would certainly say getting back down to LSU's near the top of the list. That was a premiere experience Oxford, just because I didn't get to fully live that like town Square experience, didn't get to fully live the Grove experience yep, that I had heard so much about. I want to get back to Norman. A good friend of mine, Gay Bike, was an offensive lineman there has sung the praises of more than a few establishments around there, particularly a few that are purveyors of hot dogs, which I'm a big fan of. Ye, So I want to get back to Norman. That was a cool place I played in. I didn't get to live that tailgate experience. Lincoln, Nebraska would be another one definitely very excited about. And I think for me just majoring the oh, I'll tell you the other one I want to do. And this is part food, part drink because I always got to see it when we were driving up on the bus, but I never got to live it. I think I want to go do the breakfast club at Purdue, sure, which i'd imagine is still a thing that they're doing. But just seeing a bunch of drunk college kids in costumes absolutely just on their ass by kickoff and we're playing them at like three point thirty seemed like a great time. And listen, West Lafayette, it seems like a perfectly nice college town. But they seem to do things right there, those sweet leveable engineers.
Speaker 2: Final question, at least for me, I think tis all spend and Ty didn't have a good response to this because he's just sort of a buy the book nice guy who doesn't think like this, do you have any boat goals? And I don't mean, I don't mean do you have a goal of owning a certain kind of boat? But when you picture yourself, if you are a water person, if you are a boat person on any level, if you're like, the best possible experience does not necessarily have to do with college football at all. This is just in life. If you were to hit your apex as a human on a boat, where would it be? What kind of boat would it be? With whom would you be boating?
Speaker 1: So? With whom would be easy? It'd probably be like probably my family would be involved in that. But for sure, in this instance, it would be the guys in my group chat that I played with, you know which, like a ten year running group chat in my teammates from Notre Dame get them. It would be on one of those massive yachts. And I only say this this is I mean a new dream as of this week.
Speaker 2: I'm ready.
Speaker 1: I want to be in that little Marina area for the Monaco Grand Prix.
Speaker 2: That's an amazing answer.
Speaker 1: Just started watching Drive to Survive on plus season one on Netflix. I'm started to you know, watch a little more Formula one. I just watched the Saudi Gram Prix that went on, you know, this past weekend as of when we were recording this, but seeing seeing the images of that particular race and the way that the maritime aspect of that is involved. You know, you saw, you know, Daniel Ricardo getting the ball thrown to him from Tom Brady off one of those gots there. Like, I'd like to live something like that if I'm going to set a boat goal.
Speaker 2: That's such a good answer I've talked about, you know, just with buddies a Mulfi coast Adriaddick outside of Greece, and.
Speaker 1: For years that for years it used to be did you guys ever used to see the trailers for Yacht Week?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, oh yeah.
Speaker 1: I mean in college when when the Yacht Week trailer used to drop, it was like that and Tomorrow World, the huge festival in Europe. Now those used to drop on YouTube. My entire apartment of guys used to stop whatever we were doing and watch that and start to plan out the vacation of our dreams and like, up until I saw this with the Grand Prix My answer probably still would have been Croatian Yacht Week, because it just seems like everything boating is supposed to be.
Speaker 2: Well, that's the Succession yacht right at the end of season two, that that vibe in general, not what happened aboard that specific boat, right, but generally speaking, that you're on such a large boat, you're with good people in this case, and then you could just pop off to Split or Croatia wherever, and you just like, have a little food here, enjoy, you know, touring a city that you haven't been to, maybe hop in a villa, then back on the boat and cruise around some. It seems attractive to me. And I couldn't sell tie on having boat goals. Why is that tie? No, I'm not averse to boat goals. I just didn't know the question was coming and he caught me off guard. But see this for a week now. I still don't have a good answer. But I'm not averse to the boat. I love boats, right, I love boats.
Speaker 1: Let's go. This is probably directly correlated to how much like of the wealth porn content that you've taken in, because you just mentioned, like if you've watched Succession, if you were like me, and your formative years of college were spent watching Entourage with the guys on the box DVD set. And now if you have started to take up Formula one, which my god, I mean, you need only look at the list of sponsors you're inundated with every race. Like, if you're taking in enough of this, I've got the source material to draw to give you an adequate Yeah.
Speaker 3: I mean, I think the only thing I've really settled on, Dan is that the boat I'm on has to have at least one helipad, maybe two, of course, and that's not because I really want to go up in the helicopter. It's just I'm kind of curious as to why they have the helipad on the boat to begin with.
Speaker 1: Well, if it.
Speaker 2: Starts sinking, you want also nice safety net.
Speaker 1: But people do forget that element of the helipad.
Speaker 2: I feel, yes, very underrated. Yeah, get there, all right. I'm glad that Mike has boat goals that he was ready to answer immediately, and Ty, you're still working ears out. It's okay. I don't think you're a lost cause. I just I want specifics about what you're looking for. Get nautically, we'll get there together.
Speaker 1: Speaking of boat goals, all right, has either of this been around the conversation of the show below Deck.
Speaker 2: No, I don't watch it.
Speaker 1: I'd watch that.
Speaker 2: I know about it. I've seen clips, but I don't watch it consistently. I know it's about you know, the staff that's working, you know, the Mediterranean stuff like that.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, but like just in general for you guys, because obviously having boat goals is great, but part of it is also, like you know, and it's not to say that anything nefarious is happening, but it's just I'm probably going to be drunk on this boat having a good time dance and look like it would either of you guys sign up. If the only way you could have your boat goal was to have it filmed and then put out on television like this, would you still go through it?
Speaker 2: Then?
Speaker 1: Because me, I was like, man, I don't know if I'm comfortable being drunk on a boat on camera. I don't know if that's my best self.
Speaker 2: Okay, the answer is probably yes, but it's just because I can't really handle that much alcohol. So I would just sort of be quickly fun and happy and asleep.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: That's that's sort of like, well, Dan s napping again would be like my character arc on a boat related reality show, So I'm okay with that, and I like being the center of attention, so I'm good.
Speaker 3: I feel like that would probably be my lane as well. I can handle liquor a little bit better than Dan. Yeah, but I also have now that reflex where I reflex reflex where I just sort of fall asleep anytime anywhere, which probably wouldn't play well on TV, but it would at least help me attain the boat goals.
Speaker 1: Mike, I guess that's true because in this instance, I'm thinking of like college me. We're like, who knows, Like I could end up, like you know, torking on a table in a short very little clothing or something like that. I may not want out there later on, but now it's probably just going to be me hammering or doors and like you said, passing out on a couch somewhere.
Speaker 2: Yep, Mike, just eight thirty eight potato skins and he's asleep standing up.
Speaker 1: I've never seen someone consume deviled eggs with that level of free's.
Speaker 3: Asleep on the helipad on the age.
Speaker 2: Yeah, weird how they serve potato skins and meknos All right.
Speaker 1: He's putting them on donuts now, a visionary.
Speaker 3: He just brought his own We bring this thing full circle from Mike gold Junior. Mike, before we let you go, is there anything you want us to promote for you?
Speaker 1: Yeah? At this point no, unfortunately, like I have to wait for you know, the parties involved to do their thing with all that. But at Michael of Junior on Twitter and Instagram, all those places, I will probably be drunk and cooking on Instagram live and waiting to announce the upcoming plans for this summer and falling.
Speaker 3: And you're podcasting, aren't you with your family?
Speaker 1: Yes? I have, And you know what, that's a very good point I should get in the habit. Yes, sorrying Advance the Golic Family Podcast. My mother, super producer extraordinaire, would gut me like a fish if she knew that I was coming on and not appropriately promoting the podcast that has really been her baby and is a great showcase for my insane family. So yes, great, Sorry, Advance The Golic Family Podcast. Download, subscribe, leave us a rating, leave us a review. We will read it on an episode upcoming where we will probably as we did before coming on here, discuss discuss what happened with Will Smith and Chris Rock at the Academy Awards as if it happened yesterday.
Speaker 3: All right, well, we appreciate your time. As always, we'll make sure we link up that podcast in the notes. Best of luck to whatever is next to you with whatever is next, and hopefully we can talk again soon.
Speaker 1: Definitely, thanks for having me, fellas.
Speaker 3: Alrighty, there you go, Mike Gullick Junior, go and check out the podcast. Make sure you follow him on Twitter.
Speaker 2: He's got boat goals. Of course, he's got boat goals.
Speaker 3: I feel embarrassed at the fact that I was not ready when you asked me specifically for my boat goals. I did not know the conversation was going to go there. Right now that I've recognized this is going to be a recurring point of contention between the two of us, I'm going to put some hours into the laboratory before our next show, and I'm going to come armed with a number of boat goals.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so here, all I really want for you is like, that's just always a lingering thing in the back of my brain that just like if I were to find myself in a fortunate situation in which I knew somebody with a plane with a boat, with a warehouse that I could turn into like a compound for making pizza and tennis and an arcade and a movie theater, like all of those things were like, I'm just in the way. We'll tie it back to college football in the way that a lot of like athletic directors and coaches like, if I were to get this opportunity, here's who I would hire. Here's how my own program would go. If I had the opportunity to be on a luxurious boat situation, this is how I wanted to all go down where I wanted to go down. I wanted to be with you know, my my buddy Dave, my buddy Scott, my buddy Ty Hills, and brand, my buddy Kevin. Like that's who I want. Listen to the house of run By the way, that's that in my brain. I'm like, Okay, I want a chef on there, grilling right there outside. I want all these things. I want to be jumping off and doing cannonballs. I want I just I have it all. Matt, So I like that you've taken the helipad step is what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, I think just as a starting point and we can frame out a future discussion around this.
Speaker 1: Mm hmm.
Speaker 3: And I'm not talking about going on a cruise, talking about a big, luxurious boat that somebody far richer than you and I owns. Of course, you've just been invited to because you don't want to own a boat. Everybody knows that that that depreciates the same data.
Speaker 2: If you're having a good amount of fun, if it's not draining your bank account, I'm sure boat ownership does have some plus.
Speaker 3: But if you've got if you need that, employ a staff or staves staves baby as it were, to run the boat, it's going to drain and bank.
Speaker 2: It's just going of course, of course. But we're talking about ridiculou us wealth here, ridiculous.
Speaker 3: I think for me, it starts with the very simple possibility of being able to be on the boat. We're not too far removed from civilization. Maybe we're in international waters, what have you.
Speaker 2: Mm hm.
Speaker 3: But we can just live on the boat. Oh how long we can sleep on the boat for a couple of nights, I'm talking a year, But like just being out there and being able to subsist while living on the boat. Yeah, having all of the luxuries of being on land.
Speaker 2: But we're on a boat and a big boat.
Speaker 3: Good food, good people, good drinks.
Speaker 2: And we can just stay there.
Speaker 1: Ah, what a dream.
Speaker 3: And we're not trying to circumnavigate the globe. We're not going through the the doll drums, right, Like, we're just hanging out on the boat. Good weather and we can live.
Speaker 2: There for some abey. Yeah, just be there on the boat. See, yeah, I see. My boat goal specifically is to be able to and if you're there, and I hope you are with my my Western European vacation. Sure is. I want to be able to shout out to you from across the bow ty. How many langostinas are you good for? Yeah, you're good for two grilled light?
Speaker 1: Two?
Speaker 2: What do we call three? Why not? Surge has has them. We've got the whole cooler. We're good. That's what I'm looking for.
Speaker 3: All right. Well, for the next podcast, we're going to talk about what Yeah, what was that word legostino?
Speaker 2: A langostina.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we'll talk about what that is. Hopefully I'll get this right.
Speaker 2: A lngostino langostina. It's like a small lobster. I want to say. I think it's a crustation of some kind. Yeah, yeah, spiny, smaller uh lobster langostino. I'm you know I'm getting this wrong. I'm sure, but yeah, can I can I ask? Can I offer you one more thing? Because you have mentioned for Ballers dot Com, and I think Forballers dot Com is an exceptional option to those people who want to support the show and what we do here in all of our ridiculous boat Coal conversations. Please please please with college football mixed in, I think appropriately, So, we have a fast food bracket that's been ongoing on our discord, only available on Verballer subscribers on verballers dot com a discord server. I'm only gonna go through two of the matchups that are in the sweet sixteen, but the Alpha Coal on the discord put this together, I believe. Are you ready for two matchups? Yeah? No fast food dishes. As we are in the middle of the NCAA tournament, of which I know basically nothing about other than Saint Peter's is now no longer. Pea Cocks are out man therek Doox are out shout out Jersey City though, right, that's right. McDonald's fries is a one seed versus Chipotle Burrito bowls as a five seed.
Speaker 3: I mean McDonald's fries.
Speaker 2: It's McDonald's fries. Now, there are a couple down that they're not fried in the same beef tallow. I believe that they were in the nineties the fall. He said tallow tallow, beef tallow.
Speaker 3: Okay, that's another one.
Speaker 1: I'm right.
Speaker 3: I'm rendered beef fat to beat on the front, okay.
Speaker 2: And then they are a thinner fry, which is nice for dipping in the McDonald's sized sauces. I'm a sweet and sour guy myself when it comes to McDonald's, which I don't eat that much, but that's that would be my choice. They're gonna cool down pretty quickly. You got to jump on them pretty quickly. You got to either be very close to home when you're picking up McDonald's or you just got to destroy him in the car.
Speaker 1: Well.
Speaker 3: Yeah, But the thing with McDonald's fries and why this is one seed and why this is the winner, it's like the Nick Saban thing in the SEC. All the other competing franchises have changed out their fries trying to compete with McDonald's, right, And I don't think any of them have ever gotten any better. They've you know, they've improved. In some cases. We could argue the merits of that, but McDonald's fries are like nicksaban man.
Speaker 2: I think the best thing about a Chipotle burrito bowl is the idea of a burrito bowl, rather than Pole's own execution. I like some of Chipotle's competitors. There's a place that's in New York and Chicago and growing called Dos Toros that I really like, But Chipotle is It's just never really been my thing.
Speaker 3: Listen. I would also add, if they want to pay us to say differently, we're open to that possibility. Not a sponsor could be uh no, Chipotle is fine. It's just if I have the option of Chipotle or something else, that's generally not my choice. The other matter match I the.
Speaker 2: Culver's butter burger, don't know the Wendy's don't know what that is. It is a burger from a chain called Culvers. That is fine, but they do butter their buns because it is a midwestern Ish thing. You some frozen custard. Yeah, I've had Culvers and I've had and the other one is the Wendy Spicy Chicken sandwich.
Speaker 3: We've had long conversations about the Wendy Spiky, Spiky Spicy chickpe sandwich.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this matchup is a no rain if we're talking about like the nineteen ninety eight, two thousand and four Wendy's Spicy Chicken sandwich. At some point Wendy's went a new direction with their spicy chicken sandwich that made it extremely pedestrian and forgettable, if not insulting.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean the Apex predator if we're going to continue using that lingo. Yeah, a spicy chicken sandwiches has got to be Chick fil A.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I've had great Chick fil A spicy chicken sandwiches. I like the Popeyes, want a good deal. It depends on how much of a crunch factor you want in your breading. Obviously Popeyes goes heavier with that crunch in the breading. Both are terrific. I don't have a Popeyes nearby, I don't think so. I've had the Chick fil A offering a little bit more. I'm going to go with the Culver's Butterburger here. It's merely okay, but I'm just so I'm hurt by what Wendy's has done to their spicy chicken sandwich that I just can't.
Speaker 1: Get on board.
Speaker 3: This is a personal thing for you. Yeah, this is a personal thing. Well, now I got to go and look at this bracket a little bit more intently. I knew it was to have a chance to study it yet. Yeah, perhaps this could be a subject for one of our off topic shows that we do on a semi regular basis over atverbawlers dot com. Yeah, fast food bracket, I think would be wed. Just do a fast food show, a fast food show.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, oh man, who would we Okay, who would be a good guest? A good fast Do you know who is a huge fast food person? Do you know the name Algeen at all? Does that mean anything to you?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 2: No, I believe it's Algene. Maybe I'm getting the wrong producer. It is, no, not Algene. Bill Oakley, Simpson's producer Bill Oakley. I think writer producer Bill Oakley on Twitter or Instagram or something. Does Fastidious reviews of every single released like chip candy, fast food, like like if Cheetos releases like I got garlic Parmesan Cheeto. This Simpsons writer is like I'm on it eight and a half out of ten. These are my notes, These are my pluses, these are my minuses. I don't know if we can get Bill Oakley, but I'm down for a fast food show because I do have lots of thoughts. And you get into like the regional thing, you get into national hyper local because I could build you my my my dream fast food meal, but it would involve Tommy's, which is only local to I think California. So I'm happy to talk about it.
Speaker 3: Ty, all right, Well, we're gonna why don't we plan our next off topic show around that subject of fast food, And we're gonna need to lean on you a little bit to figure out who the right guest or guests are sure to help inform that discussion. But now that we've got the bracket, March madness is sort of wrapping up here, just a couple of days left in the month, yep. We need to make sure that we treat ourselves here, presumably as we get into the month of April, and talk about something that we know is of interest. All right, I agree, all right, again, big thanks to our guest of for all his time, always generous with it, Michael Junior. We wish him well with whatever comes next. Don't forget to listen to that podcast. As I said during the interview, we'll make sure we put the notes, put the link to his show in the notes. Don't forget to subscribe. Don't forget to go on out to solid giveaway dot com if you're interested in winning that mini helmet we discussed earlier, and last but not least for ballers dot com if you want to get in on the Patreon, the discord, and of course the eventual discussion about fast food rapids. A great for that guy Oup there, my good friend Dan Rubinstein, for myself Tie Hilding a brand. We will catch you all on Thursday. In the meantime, stay soft, peace,