Speaker 1: And that's what you really missed with Jenna.
Speaker 2: And Kevin an iHeartRadio podcast.
Speaker 1: Welcome to and That's what you Really miss podcast Season foe.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, I forgot for a second.
Speaker 1: I know we're moving our way through season four. We are on episode two. This is special. It's Britney two point zh Kevin.
Speaker 2: Look, if we can get more Heather than great, that's all good news.
Speaker 1: I was surprised that we did this episode though. I was surprised we were doing another Britney one like it did so well. But I also was like, why are we trying to fix something that's not broken?
Speaker 2: But again, the first one was perfect.
Speaker 1: In a way, and as we've learned a fan favorite. This one is a little different. This one had some mixed reactions from the public. Correct this did air directly after If you remember, we're on a new night on Fox. Now we're following one of Fox's new shows, The X Factor, where Britney's a judge, and then this airs, and it.
Speaker 2: Is not the glossy.
Speaker 1: Brittany is perfect queen, which in reality is the truth of what happened.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 1: I don't think that we're making fun of her per se, but it's definitely shining a light on the darker times, which is why I think people weren't especially like Brittany Camp wasn't thrilled my.
Speaker 2: Guest and I think when it was just like we were trying to like get her back on her feet sort of thing. Yes, you know, and so it probably didn't. But I think watching this back now, though, I feel like there is a stronger message in there of the resurgence and like we need to treat people with respect and look behind, you know, the curtain of like what's actually causing all of these issues through Brittany Es Pierce's character.
Speaker 1: Yeah, agreed. Okay, well let's get into it because there's a lot that happens. Yeah, okay. Well this aired on September twentieth, twenty twelve. Wo wow, Okay.
Speaker 2: Yeah. In the news, Jenna, the number one song in the country was we Are Never Ever Getting Back Together by t Swift.
Speaker 1: Okay, and the number one movie was Resident Evil Retribution. How did we not do that song on Glee? I feel like I thought we did and then it was like, oh, we didn't. Maybe I just didn't get approved. But it's Max Martin. I feel like we've done other Max Martin songs, I mean we I don't know. I actually don't know.
Speaker 2: I don't know either, weird because that would have been.
Speaker 1: A great one. It's perfectly toned to the show banger Ye the Glee new does This Speak? September seventeenth, Glee The Complete Seasons One to three Yearbook Edition was released on DVD, featuring all sixty six episodes of seasons one, two, and three on twenty discs. Oh my god, twenty discs. What does that even mean? What does that look like? That's crazy? It's a bible? Like what?
Speaker 2: Oh isn't it also crazy? Though we're only halfway through the show, and at some point in your life like, oh, we've done sixty six episodes of television, right. I remember growing up and just thinking about like, oh my god, it'd be great to do one episode, or you get on a TV show and do a couple episodes. Enabled at this point to be like, we've done sixty six episodes, right, and is really sure?
Speaker 1: Continue to do yeah? A lot more? That's right.
Speaker 2: On September eighteenth, Glee The Music Brady two point zero was released. The EP featured eight tracks from this episode and was released for digital download.
Speaker 1: I got to say the music in this episode was pretty great.
Speaker 2: It was very great. Numbers, crazy crazy, this is very also, I would just like to already at the end of this episode says like Marley wants to do another Britney song, and Alartie says, haven't we scraped the bottom of the Britney barrel?
Speaker 1: I haven't even touched it.
Speaker 2: No, we're just getting started already.
Speaker 1: Idiot, well, already run in his mouth again, like shut it. Brittany just has like those albums, it's so dead. Yeah, are you kidding me? Stupid? Okay. This was directed by Alfonso Gomez Rajon makes a lot of sense, does make a lot of sense.
Speaker 2: Look, there's some shots in there. I'm like, this is crazy, clever.
Speaker 1: Different, and uh, there's a lot of music. As we were talking about hold It Against Me with with Brittany and the Cheerios Boy's Boyfriend by Britney Spears and Justin Bieber performed by Artie and Blene Womanizer.
Speaker 2: Three Crazy, You Drive Me Crazy, mashup? Oops, I did it again? Give me more every time. I do love that song.
Speaker 1: I love that song and I love Melissa's voice on that phone. Yeah, there's a lot of fun facts about this episode. So, this is the second Britney Spears tribute episode, with the first being Brittany Brittany obviously and Britney Spears and the Beatles are the only two artists or bands to have two tribute episodes on Glee.
Speaker 2: I think that's fair.
Speaker 4: Yeah, she's up there with the Beatles in a lot of ways in my book. Yeah, just like Brittany Brittany. This episode is the second of the season. Both episodes include Brittany the character singing a solo, Rachel singing a solo, a same gender duet the last one was Me Against the Music, which was so good, and a group number with Brittany as the lead OVI.
Speaker 1: Both episodes also include at least one song not by Spears, so the last one being the only exception, which stuck outlegas or Thom Boyfriend, which is obviously a mashup with us and then crazy. Yeah working them into mashup makes me and I'm fine with that, but yeah, so weird. I don't know why. This is the first episode air exactly a year after an episode from the previous season aired and this episode. This episode aired on September twentieth, twenty twelve and The Purple Piano Project aired on September twentieth.
Speaker 2: Now that's the type of nerdy fun fact I love. This episode features the first and only Brittany voiceover on the show, like, you know, the inner monologue kind of things, are you shocked?
Speaker 5: Like?
Speaker 1: And just in the effort, I believe that Brittany says what she's what she's thinking all the time.
Speaker 2: I guess you're right. But like, we all had voiceovers.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I didn't have a time. I had a.
Speaker 2: Few, but we all did it at some points. I also am a big fan, you know of sort of breaking the fourth wall addressing the audience. And I loved when she gets stopped in the hall like Blaine, like, what are you doing? I thought I was doing my voiceover.
Speaker 1: At the time.
Speaker 2: Axis Hollywood reporter Billy Bush allegedly spoke to Brittany's manager and her team was quote livid over this episode and the portrayal.
Speaker 1: Well now, looking back, though, I think it was just too soon. Was Brittany livid or was her team livid? I don't know. Well, they were ruling her brand at that point. They didn't want any of the bad stuff to be coming out and Brittany's like whatever. Like, if Brittany had an Instagram caption right now on her Instagram about it, she'd probably be like, great, let them talk about all this stuff that I went through right fair, she wasn't running her camp. Yeah, Tina wear's the dress she wore during You Can't Stop the Beat Again. You know, this is around the time where we didn't have time for fittings and so like sometimes they'd be like, pull something from the arc is and every member of New Directions present in the episode sings a solo. What an idea? What a crazy idea that everybody gets a solo? Kevin, how do.
Speaker 2: You really feel? This is the first Tribute episode in which Santana doesn't sing, and that's a crime.
Speaker 1: That is a crime. Also, like seeing her.
Speaker 2: Only via Skype or whatever it was, it's so weird. It's freaking me out not having her or ran exactly properly.
Speaker 1: Well, just you wait. This is the only episode in which Cassandra appears but doesn't sing.
Speaker 2: Kurt says that a video which was uploaded to YouTube ended Cassandra July's career ten years ago. However, YouTube was launched in two thousand and five seven years prior to this episode, and also when YouTube was first launched, things weren't going viral.
Speaker 1: Right, right, right, it was a very different YouTube. Yeah. Interesting.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so you want to hear the official Fox summary for this.
Speaker 1: I do.
Speaker 2: I just love these I love them so much. Brittany and Funk turns to the music at Britney Spears for inspiration. Rachel struggles to adjust to life in New York City.
Speaker 1: I just want to know who was writing these, if it was the same person, if they were like really busy at the time. And that's why we get like these really short ones versus like we get like intricate, longer planned out summaries. The episode, Brittany s peers our Queen is kicked off the Cheerios and she's missing Santana. Obviously we see her only on the screen. We're also missing Santana and she's sent into a spiral. She's wearing a world's great is the Greatest Grandma shirt from the Loss Found The t shirt's great, the hair is great. She looks insane and mister she was worried. He tries to set her up with Emma. That seems crazy.
Speaker 2: I mean, everyone's trying. This is where I think the storyline helps the Britney Spears case of it all, where we're seeing somebody have some sort of like mental health crisis. She's not even at this point in the episode like acting out. She's sort of done the opposite where she's just resigned. She's given up fully like a depressive state. Yeah, and we're trying to bring Britney back. Everybody's rooting for her. Everybody knows how great she is, how smart and talented she is. And it's sort of that fine line of are we talking about Britney s Peers or we're talking about Britney Spears.
Speaker 1: Mister Shoe shockingly decides to do a last minute assignment, choosing Britney two point zero week so that we can help inspire Britney s Peers.
Speaker 2: Right, could we hold it against me? Yeah, let's talk about that. You have several gigantic numbers this episode. Something really comes out with a bang and it is so good.
Speaker 1: I'm there are a lot of good cheerio numbers, like big numbers, but this is one of my favorites.
Speaker 2: I think it's like a really refined yes, because if you think of it like it's only.
Speaker 1: Pro dancers yes, exactly doing pure pop, pure pop.
Speaker 2: Choreography, people like with props, throwing things in the air. I mean once you get to the auditorium. I feel like every time there's musical member and it gets to not the auditorium, sorry, the gym, you're like, oh, this is about to be crazy. There's either going to be fire, people are going to be on stilts, there's going to be props.
Speaker 1: And then Kitdti's in there too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she is straight off of Broadway and like killing it, keeping up with her. So good, so good, it's so good. I didn't I didn't remember that number.
Speaker 1: Definitely didn't remember that. I didn't remember.
Speaker 2: Was it felt like an actual music video, Like if you took that out of context, I could just watch that agreed, because it is very very good. Agreed, And I think it's a good song for Heather to sing, and she sounds great on it.
Speaker 1: It's perfect.
Speaker 6: Uh.
Speaker 1: You guys also do a great number. Blaine and Artie do a number based that is half Britney Spears. But it's a really cool mashup boy's boyfriend.
Speaker 2: It is a cool mashup.
Speaker 1: Darren doing cheriography with.
Speaker 2: You, Darren, And I never got to do. So this is like the only time that was fun. It was fun. It was nice to get to like sing and perform with him. You guys, I had a fun time recording it. Do you do like this mashup? At the time, I was like, this is cool, this is fine. I like it a lot more now. I wasn't the biggest fan of either of those songs.
Speaker 1: Same same. It's like, not my favorite Brittany song at all.
Speaker 2: But no, and it was not my favorite just Beaver song right exactly, but I think works better. Well, yeah, together, they're better. Everything's better with a little Brittany.
Speaker 1: What number is it where she decides she's gonna is it that number where she decides she's going to shave her head?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 2: Yeah, Well this was another case of Tina's song never gets to properly finish.
Speaker 1: That's okay, This one that got its full moment. It did like I was.
Speaker 2: Like, don't cut it off, do not cut it off? You like sing the last note and then yeah, yeah, it's not revelation by any means. But three is really fun too. In the choir room. I love that version. It's so love singing it with them. I'd never I hadn't sang with Samuel yet you all sounded so pretty together.
Speaker 1: Thanks. I really liked that one. I forgot how much I like that one. I know you liked that one, but I was like, yeah, oh, okay, this is fun. It was also different.
Speaker 2: You can also tell by like how we're acting in the as a viewer, in it as an audience, because like we're all super into it.
Speaker 1: We were also so good shooting that really late at night. Do you remember that No, it was one of the later numbers of the day. I have like video photos of Heather and I in our out our like dresses, and she's in that little like sweater sweatshirt over her dress and we're like climbing up the walls. She's laying underneath one of the golf carts inside of the stages, and I was like, oh, it was one of the nights, so we were all kind of like trying to keep ourselves awake. It was one of those nights. So I loved shooting three, loved recording that one. I was thrilled to have multiple things to do in this episode. Obviously, I was thrilled to do a Brittany episode. I didn't have as much to do in the last Brittany episode. So Tina's coming out again.
Speaker 2: There does seem to be an opening, you know, now that New York is happening, Tina is getting more of a moment, making her way right in as she should.
Speaker 1: We do three and then Brittany ends up like wanting to shave her head and has the umbrella and then reenacting the umbrella. Okay, So this is where I think when I think about the Brittany camp and if they were allegedly not that happy with this, it's re enacting the real outside of her performance is entertainment side of things, her personal life being attacked and then reenacted again and in being glamorized. Right, That's where I think they would be unhappy with. Why we are talking about the downfall to hopefully the rise again. That's why I take on it.
Speaker 2: I think there's I think this is one of two examples of that in this episode. I think the other one is Gimme More where Yes, it's a performance, but you're yeah, right, it's pretty self explanatory the I do. It's pretty funny though, watching Jbi get.
Speaker 1: Beat up, Oh my gosh, it's crazy. Should we do something like deserves just like standing around like it's been very rude to us in the past. It's horrible. He is the Pariz Hilton of William McKinley High. Yeah. I mean, not that anybody's right exactly, but you know, I didn't write it. It was nice to see.
Speaker 2: Him getting his come up. And if you will, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, right, yeah, karma comes back to buy you.
Speaker 2: And I also feel like, I feel like when these things happen in real life, like celebrities seemingly like cracking, right, all you see is that you only see the spectacle of it. Not to make this more than it is, but for the Brittany Espiers character, you know, the full context of why she's doing this. You know, we've spent three years building this character, and so we're able to see empathize and sympathize with where she is in her journey, right right, which is something we don't ever get to see for the real Britney spears right right. And so when she's beating up on JBI in the hallway, it's not like, oh my god, this is crazy, this is horrible. She's acting insane. Yeah, You're like, well, no, I see why she's acting like this right, sure is this is how she's handling it correct? No, but given the circumstances, who is going to know how to literally react properly?
Speaker 1: And so you do.
Speaker 2: I do appreciate that aspect of it because I feel like maybe that's the intention behind the episode.
Speaker 1: I'm sure it was. I'm sure it was hopefully.
Speaker 2: I'm just in my head, that's right. The episode.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So we decide that we think Brittany should perform the solo it the group at the group assembly.
Speaker 2: She wants to be the star. She needs the attention.
Speaker 1: Obviously, and it's Brittany. So we're just going to have Brittany do it that number. The performance that Heather Morris gives is unreal, world class, the faces she makes, the cheato only.
Speaker 2: Doing the backgrounds, the speaking parts while she's chewing. Okay, have you seen there's a video that was going around on social media recently. I believe it was the mom was in the papas and they had to perform on a TV show and they were told they had the lip sync like it might've been Johnny Carson or something like that, and one of the girls like took out food and was they were furious he had the lip sync and so she's eating during performances.
Speaker 1: To be singing. That's funny.
Speaker 2: I was like, this is exactly what's happening. Also, she really gets the rest of the glee club to lip sync very quickly, Like that doesn't take much convincing to be like we need to lip sync and we're all like, no, we don't do that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's true. I also didn't realize that it was like illegal to do that in the show choir world, Like, obviously it's not a good thing to do, but I didn't realize how much trouble we were going to get in. And I don't think new directions to me that either. But does that apply to like a school assembly if you're doing it an official competition, obviously totally, but like at your home school for performance, like an assembly performance.
Speaker 2: Yeah, who's who's checking exactly?
Speaker 1: Mister she is self reporting? That sucks.
Speaker 2: Oh gosh, that was That was such a fun performance to shoot.
Speaker 1: It really was. It's well, it's fun when there's a story going on and you don't really know there's a story to tell and not just a performance and all of a sudden acting it literally crazy and her bra like. It's really good. It's a really really good at performance. It's very funny.
Speaker 2: I get why Britney's camp put of been offended by this, but it was it was also funny. I think it was really really funny.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but yes, I mean I think it's just funny because Feather's primes like period okay, and then Sam's gonna help her have a comeback. Just like so cute.
Speaker 2: They're very like he was just like, I get what you're doing.
Speaker 4: The math.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, it's here spelled wrong. All of Britney's tests shout out to the Rainbow had to do all the rainbow cran riding because that takes for it.
Speaker 1: Does take forever. It's very funny though, very good. I think that's probably Lee. Yeah, exactly, really really good. They're really cute together. I forgot about them.
Speaker 2: They are really cute.
Speaker 1: Do they have a dating Do they date? I don't know.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: Actually, all I know is next episode they have a bunch of stuff as well. It's leading.
Speaker 2: The common thing seems to be here is Chord.
Speaker 1: What do you mean?
Speaker 2: Chord just has chemistry with everyone. It's the best, Like you put Cord in a scene with anyone and you're like, oh, this is so enjoyable to watch.
Speaker 1: He's the best.
Speaker 2: You're right, he really is. Is like I love watching him with Heather. I loved watching him.
Speaker 1: Exactly like he's great. Wow with Diana. Yes, yeah, it was great. You're right, You're right. It is Cord. Chord is the the connecting link, is the common denomination.
Speaker 2: Is Also shout out to Chord's falsetto on three because it was really pretty good. I'm always checking to say he's playing the right guitar chords, usually making it look like, yeah.
Speaker 1: It's Cord. He can play his guitar and his sleep. Okay. Marley has a crush on Jake, as we've seen, and he's a womanizer. I guess Tina's talking to him, which is hilarious, very funny, full smitten. And I remember this was like the first time I had worked with him and so and we were just like chatting and he's like very you know, he's he's Jacob. He's quiet, but he's like funny. So you're like, oh, you're funny and you're unassuming.
Speaker 2: And I didn't know that.
Speaker 1: We'll learn that a lot about him later, but I had such a fun time doing this because like I got to really spend time with some of the new crew and doing Womanizer in the stairway. I remember doing it like a thousand times, and there was something with the timing and then once we would get the timing right, somebody's lips and would be off and Loui Anne. This was when Leu Anne started to and so she really wanted to get things right and so and then you have all Fonds on top of it, who likes a lot of takes, and so I just remember doing those stairs like a thousand times. And there's this back behind the scenes photo that I have of all of us standing around the monitor to make sure we did it right. And I don't remember if it was because it was in half speed or full speed, I don't remember, but we did it a lot. We were on those stairs for a while and it was only just like the like five steps.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, that sounds right. Yes, this number had a lot of creative shots.
Speaker 1: Yes, it did a lot of peace and I.
Speaker 2: Feel like it was like, oh, we're back in the gymnasium again exactly, and I think you got to switch it up because you're in some of the same location to the camera's moving with Marley's head, which was nice. I texted Alex yesterday and I was watching this like, I you're saving me.
Speaker 1: I love this number. I was like, I was just there none, no, no, earlier were just there. You're all of you together. Also, you look so little little, Yes, you're.
Speaker 2: So short compared to Melissa and Alex.
Speaker 1: That's true. We're in like sneakers too, so yes, it was so cute.
Speaker 2: I love like walking through like the library sacks. It's like, oh, they had to get a little wide on that frame to fit everybody. It's right, there's a lot of us and we're all different.
Speaker 1: And Alex is in heels always, yes, so I'm even unless it was usually in heels too, like a little bit of one. Uh yes, the library, that's right. I forgot about that. I love this number so much, really I do. I like shooting it. I don't know.
Speaker 2: I think I love the song. The song has like great opportunity for great harmonies and hearing you all together, which is very satisfying. You sound great together. It's a fun number. The choreography, Oh my god, I love the part. This amazing choreo was unreal love again. It's like tour level choreo, Like I need to see it on loop. There's this like jumping move and then you guys been to the side that is I ran it back a.
Speaker 1: Couple of times. I enjoyed filming that. That was really fun. It was also fun to be in like gym glows in like different locations. I'm not gonna lie.
Speaker 2: So Jake steps up because Marlee's obviously smitten and they're like, no, he's a womanizer, but then asks out Marley. Marley says yes they Jake ends up defending Marlee's mom and Marley in the school country of lunchline gets in a fight and he's doing the right thing. Yeah, he's doing the right thing, gets trouble by Shoe, but she doesn't report him. She was just like, you're coming with me? I know, who do we see, big bro? I have a couple of questions here though, Yeah, not a couple. I think one is Shoe overstepping again, because always who is Shoe to bring in his brother?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: They don't know about each other. Yeah, well Puck doesn't know about Jake, right, and so is that something that Jake should be in charge of? Deciding whether or not he ever speaks to his brother.
Speaker 1: Meets him. Agreed, agreed, definitely.
Speaker 2: Works out and like Puck, you know, gives a nice little speech. It's funny and it was nice to like have those characters be together. But at the same time, like shoe boundaries, dude, he doesn't know any boundaries. His best man was fin Yeah, it never has ever.
Speaker 1: Yeah, But I like seeing Puck back with Jake. It was, you know, we're threading the the lines here, you know, we have to and Jake decides he's kind to do.
Speaker 5: He does.
Speaker 2: After that little they have their little date on the football stands.
Speaker 1: They're very cute. He's very cute. That mashup is pretty good too. I love their voices, yes, and the.
Speaker 2: Voices also sound like everybody's voice, all the new people, all our voices are very different instinct. Everybody has a very distinct tone. Yes, and it's nice to hear the different combos and like that mash up a lot. I really did did Jacob play guitar or is he face light fiddle?
Speaker 1: But I don't know.
Speaker 2: It kind of looked like he was holding the same chord.
Speaker 7: The whole thing.
Speaker 2: Then there's your answer and they were like zoomed in a little bit.
Speaker 1: They cut out the guitar a lot, I got it, which was nice, and then he gives Marley the jacket at the end. It's very cute, but then we find out.
Speaker 2: Howbody's trifling because then at the end he's dating Kitty and Kitty comes up and it's like, hey, give me my code. Did you know we're dating out of nowhere?
Speaker 1: And yeah?
Speaker 2: And then did you like then he's serenading her by the football field while Marley watches very great. Yes, it's just foreshadowing. This is where Alphonso show us as like cinematic range, because there's all these extra shots at the end of the episode of people like looking from afar longing that I'm sure not scripted, and he's adding these things yes in New York as well, all these extra shots that are really make it feel like it's not just another episode of TV.
Speaker 1: In goodness, Yeah, no, you're right, it's really nice. It's just very detail. Okay, off to New York we go. So we start with Cassandra telling Rachel that she can't participate in the tango and Rachel saying, if I'm ever going to play a vita I've got to learn the tongue out and she says she's not sessy enough. So Rachel, it is basically I'm gonna ask Brody to help because Brody thinks she's sexy. When he's like, you're incorrectly, I was like, I don't know where. He's very forward with his feelings.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, he doesn't care now, not at all. Well, if I had a body like that, I probably would do.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Probably don't get turned down very often. Rody and Rachel are gonna put it together a performance. He's gonna help her.
Speaker 2: He's gonna dance with her, because you know, when you want to prepare a performance for a dance teacher at a musical theater university, the song you want to do is Oops, I did it again?
Speaker 1: Right, That's right?
Speaker 2: You know that's the first thing that comes to mind for sure.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: What I will say about this number is that the choreo fire adored the choreo, Those dancers are killing it. Or the life flash light bulbs the flashlights Yes, which is a number that I referenced when we first started this podcast, that Zach Woodley had shown us. It's like, I would love to do this one day, that's right on this Yeah, season four here it is fossy that flashlight number. I love like coming with the smoke, you know, in the very beginning of it, like all of it is very reminiscent of that and love that got to pay tribute to that, which is like really really cool totally.
Speaker 1: But at the end of this number, Cassandra says that Brody is like fine, but Rachel's really bad still, and Rachel goes adder in a very inappropriate way for a teacher although the teacher, let's be real, Cassandra is mean. Yeah. I I like the dynamic though, Like we talked about where this is. This is Rachel's dream and like it's not coming easy, Like this is not her being the cream of the crop anymore. She is down in the trenches trying to figure out how to like find out who where she fits in this industry. And I appreciate both characters, Like there's I'm sure the teachers like Cassandra, maybe not as crude as her or as mean, but I do believe that there are teachers like that. I've seen them, I've experienced them, and so it's really building Rachel's backbone. But Rachel coming back at her not so good.
Speaker 2: No, And I do have to say Cassandra's point afterwards, and Rachel comes back to apologize is super valid, Like if you try if someone was recording that, right, and that would be out there in the world, like it happened to her, right, Yes, because you didn't get your way. Yeah, because I don't think you're sex seeing that, like get over exactly. You're a freshman, that's right. And then Rachel saying, like you're jealous of me though that's not good. No, it's not a responsible way to respond or react. No, but Rachel has always lived in the delusion of like the drag delusion. Yes, oh, yes, she thinks she is something that she is not yet.
Speaker 1: No, you're right, you're right.
Speaker 2: There's a beautiful it's probably my favorite to be nerdy here for a second. It's like my favorite like frame of the episode. When Rachel goes to set up to do oops, I did it again. There's a shot of Kate Hudson sitting down to watch and it's like from below her looking up at her and she's just like watching everybody get ready. It's like two seconds long, but it is so beautiful. I don't know why I frozen and like went back again to look at it because it looks it looks like a film. Yeah, like everything's lip beautifully.
Speaker 1: Can we talk about the loft, well, yeah, okay, it's it's it's like friends where there has to be some mysterious story where they inherited the apartment from their grandma and it's rend controlled because this giant loft, I don't know. And then they build in it, like they build like the wall, like the bookshelves reconstructions in it, and it's I mean their parents but like Burt must be helping, date, Rachel's dads must be helping. There's no way, it's like and it's that far from the university, yeah, I mean, I guess you could take a quick forty five minutes. Yeah, I don't. I don't know why they chose that it's cheaper in Bushwick, I guess, but not it's like cheaper than the city. But it's not that cheap, no, And then they're painting it.
Speaker 2: Very slowly, the brick.
Speaker 1: They're painting the brick. It's so funny, uh, I I mean I like that loft and they're riding bikes in.
Speaker 2: It, right, that was funny it's just so gigantic. And also it's like, how dare you paint over this beautiful?
Speaker 1: Why would you do that? Well, they have to because they have to.
Speaker 2: Paint over fin, right. I love how Brody comes in with these flowers, like they're talking about is it dangerous? And then Kurt is like, I'm gonna go out and get caked by myself anyway. Then and Brody spends forty five minutes getting there and is there for the solid ninety seconds and.
Speaker 1: Then they paint over the fin.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Brody is confident. He doesn't even care that Fin's painted on the wall. Clearly he knows, he knows. Speaking of delusion, he also is just like unbridled confidence came out of nowhere.
Speaker 1: I don't know what to do with Brodie yet, Like I as a viewer, I don't. I don't know how I feel about Brody. I liked Rachel turning him down, right, which is a signal that we don't we're not fully convinced on Brody.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and like she's Rachel even though she's in New York, she's still Rachel right, Like she hasn't abandoned all of her Rachel miss yes, which is nice because you hate to see like such a big pet peeve for all of a sudden, this character that you know and I love over all these years, and you see a character abandon all their principles really quickly and easily, Like, wait, why would that person do that? I've just watched them for three seasons. We can't that does not happen.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I enjoyed the Cassandra Rachel makeup scene. You talked to Kate Hanson recently. I did. I went on Kate's podcast, Sibling RELRII and she does it with her brother and at the very top we talked about Glee. I think we should share some of these clips because she she does spill the tea. Yeah, I want to know.
Speaker 2: It was a really great interview. Everyone should go listen to it. But she got to talk about Cassandra July a bunch.
Speaker 1: I am.
Speaker 2: A Glee alum, and I'm a Glee a lump.
Speaker 3: I played Cassandra July actually, honestly one of the most fun characters I've.
Speaker 6: Played because she was so mean and she's like a dance teacher. Yeah, I was a dance dance teacher and I taught Liam Michelle. She was my student and I just it was really nasty. It was fun and we had fun. Lee and I had switched fun.
Speaker 2: Everybody loves playing a villain. There has to be so much when you come into the show and you just get to like roast someone and like be sexy while doing it, Like she always looked.
Speaker 1: So good.
Speaker 2: In Furious.
Speaker 1: She said that this was a very dramatic set, which I then was like, my jaw was a gape because I was like, what do you mean, Like just for somebody to like outright say like it was a dramatic set, I was like, is that real? Okay, we had some drama, We were dramatic. But I don't think she meant in like a bad way. I think she just meant like, there's a lot of personality, and it's there's a lot happening all the time. It was a very dramatic set.
Speaker 3: Well, you know, when you've got all of those personalities and all those all of those all that talent.
Speaker 1: And all that youth, you know, a lot of hormones, Yes, a lot of hormones. Definitely, it's useful young.
Speaker 5: Yes, do you have to do you have to watch what you say, you know, because obviously you can't expose and reveal every So how do you manage? Yes?
Speaker 6: Can you can?
Speaker 1: Don't be like me? We don't we really, you know, I say to Kevin a lot. Look, that's not our story to tell. I tell it from my perspective, his perspective. We try to be kind about it because I will be honest, like, we were all very close, and yes, we all have our squabbles and there's all things, but we really were a family and it was easier to get along than it wasn't so as dramatic as it as it was. And I'm so that's so interesting thing you say that, Kate, there was just there's so many moving parts of our show and so many cast members and so many personalities.
Speaker 3: I think it's because you guys were so close, you know, and the show was so huge, so you're all this like young little family. And then of course inside of it, it's like, yes, you know you're gonna have like all the stuff that comes with the Other thing is you had extraordinary talent on that show.
Speaker 1: It's true.
Speaker 3: And let me tell you something. There's a reason why very talented people are can be sometimes challenging people to work with, because they can be uncompromising, They really believe in themselves, they know what they have to offer, and so you know, you get that all of that in one room, and it's there's gonna be some you know, fun drama.
Speaker 1: That's right. We were working hard too, and you got to see a little bit of the machine and the way it worked and how much how much time we really did spend together. I mean, we saw each other more than we saw our own families.
Speaker 2: She brings up a very good point, very good point, and as somebody who has been working like her entire life, yes, but everybody is young. There wasn't necessarily a lot of ego, but it was like talent people. Yes, there was a lot of talent. And by season four it was like everybody knew what the show was, where we all fit within the show, what we were bringing to the show and to those characters, and felt protective over it. And I feel like when you walk into if you go to a new boyfriend or girlfriend's house for Thanksgiving and you see the family, hm, maybe from the outside looks like fighting or squabbling or picking on each other. Sometimes that's just how a family is and it's completely healthy and normal and fine.
Speaker 1: And I feel like.
Speaker 2: Or I wonder if that's what it sort of looked like sometimes with people coming in looking at us because we were so close that we weren't getting mad at each other, that we not talk at the end of the day, if we had big personalities, Like yeah, but we all love each other and we know that, and so nobody's actually like being super dramatic or like exactly fighting or any.
Speaker 1: Of that, just like really people really advocating and holding their ground.
Speaker 2: And we were learning that probably by season four two we felt sure much more confident in our own voice on and off set.
Speaker 1: For sure. And then there's another clip that key she talks about like being a seeing the machine and like being a part of it on our show where you worked, like was it a were there really long days for you or was it a little bit? Yeah, yeah, yeah it was pretty cool.
Speaker 3: Yes, they were very long days, but you know, I was you know, I was just a guest star, so you know, but I did get a good sense of the energy and everything on that's on the set. And I worked with two different directors, three different directors, I think, and one who worked really fast, one who was more thoughtful in his approach that I really appreciated the one who took a little bit longer because he was so cinematic. But I could also tell that people who were working all the time were just like, oh my god, please move please, can we just go home?
Speaker 1: Because I came in like I came in like this is fantastic.
Speaker 3: This guy's amazing. He was like, oh my god, I know, but we just want to get it right right, the grumbling from the crew, the hair make yeah, there was got our fourteen. What I was surprised by was I thought I would have way more time to rehearse the dancing, and like I went in it was like okay, and I learned the routine and then we were like shooting it the next day and I was like that I haven't danced. I know, I hadn't like danced in a long time. So I was like, fuck, I'm I'm really it was. It was it was like being thrown into the fire bit but you know, I don't know, I love it. I love being thrown into the fire. And and we had such good numbers and it was so great, and and Brett and and Brad was there.
Speaker 1: I love Brad so much.
Speaker 3: Fu yeah, yeah, always looking at always looking out just so cares for everybody so much.
Speaker 1: And yeah, that's Brad Felcherk, one of the one of the creators of We And yeah, answer exerience.
Speaker 5: Just someone knows. I'm an actor too. When I get a show called Screen Queens with Murphy and feltcha. There was a day she came up to me. Sorry for I'm repeating myself, but she clearly thrived in that type of environment because she came up to me super calm, and she was just like, Hey, so, like, I learned this number yesterday, shooting it today.
Speaker 1: It's very fast. Is this normal?
Speaker 2: Really?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, sometimes you learn it the same day and you probably recorded it the day before that. She's like yeah exactly. She's like, okay, so this is normal. It's like, yeah, there's just so much to get through and do.
Speaker 1: And it's probably her being like either like are we all just behind or and does everybody get this treatment? Or do I have to like stand out for myself and ask for more time?
Speaker 5: Right?
Speaker 1: Do you know what I mean? Yes?
Speaker 2: And she wasn't panicked about it. She was so cool, great and calm about it. And I remember exactly where we were standing, like right on the you know, the steps of the first stage, and she was like, okay, okay, great.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think it was exactly that I wanted to make sure she was getting the same Ye was on the same everybody's yeah there. Well it was fun to talk about I wasn't expecting to talk to her about the show at all, and like right off the gate we were just talking about Glee. So I thought that was really fun. I'm glad she liked it. I'm glad she had a good experience. Yeah, I mean she was great.
Speaker 1: She was really really great.
Speaker 2: I wish we got to work with her more or at all, but also like what a great energy on set. Yes, like she we only got to hang out with her at base camp really because we didn't obviously work with her, you and I, but just so cool and like wanted to hang out, wanted to talk to people, yeah, which is just really appreciated, you know, and like asking those questions, trying to figure out the lay of the land, and came in with like an enormous amount of respect for it, which was really nice.
Speaker 1: She's a pro. Do you want to grade the performances? Absolutely, Okay, let's do hold it against me. A plus plus yeah, boy's boyfriend.
Speaker 7: B plus A same yeah, B plus okay, womanizer A A minus yeah okay A no, no, I love it though, three.
Speaker 1: Plus oh wow, okay, I hold it against me is A plus exactly high standard to hold up to. Okay, crazy, drive me crazy solid A I give it yeah or okay, oops, B plus I think plus us okay, yes, overall, it's really cool. What are we basing this off of? Though?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, give me more is about the comedy more A plus if you're judging everything.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, every time, because totally okay, great, she sounded great. Let's get to TARTI takes okay, cringe moments okay, yeah, okay, well let's just another cringe of since a running cringe is making fun of Marley's mom. Still, we like we've had enough to her face mind you, and and and then and then I think the other one is the the re enactment of the Britney moments, like I don't know that. I guess we kind of need them, but like you don't really I don't know, I actually don't know. It just makes you comfortable a little bit, well, it makes it makes me uncomfortable. Okay, yeah, I agree dance move hold it against me?
Speaker 2: Hold it against me?
Speaker 1: I will say.
Speaker 2: Honorable mention to the dancer and oopstate it again, who's doing the splits as the tables are moving apart? Because that was unbelievable, And I will say that womanizer moment where like the camera tilts and like you guys are like leaning. I don't know what the move is, but it's great. It's I know which one you're talking about. It's right in the top of the gym. Okay, yes, uh the song three wow? Yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 1: Come on, this is tough, all right. I guess I'll go with three Hold it against me again? Pretty good? Pretty up there.
Speaker 2: Prop Oh, there's a lot of props in this episode, all of Britney's tests, the cheetos in the song oh yeah. Do you think Brittany has to like touch the Kiki satana the whole thing, that whole thing. Oh my god, Kiki Kiki. I completely forgot about Kiki.
Speaker 5: Wait?
Speaker 1: Did you catch that?
Speaker 2: This is where I was wearing my glasses that want prescriptions in my eyes like big oh, I didn't see it. Some days I'd show up in my contacts and I'd have to wear these other they were huge. Jenna would lose it. She would be able to look at me in the would be like literally google eyed. They were crazy. So there's clearly a day I showed up here and for some reason I was wearing my contacts and my eyes looked so much. I love that, but it's sort of worked during the Kiki thing because it's already a weird scene. It is a very strange scene. But I love that scene.
Speaker 5: I do too.
Speaker 2: And also it's like some of the show it feels like, okay, this is based in reality ish, and then you have like how does she have a Kiki?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 1: Like? Where is Kiki coming from?
Speaker 4: What is this?
Speaker 1: This feels dystopian. There's a couple of really great quotes, a lot of Brittany. I would like to give an honorable mention quote to Figgins when he says, first and foremost, I wish to address the rumor that I like to be milked like a cow, because my breasts are filled with delicious wholes of milk. That rumor is untrue. I don't know where they came from, but I cackled, and his delivery is just so good.
Speaker 2: Always my name is Brittany is peers, and I finally know how Jesus feels in his houseway of because I'm at the top of the world. God has a lot.
Speaker 1: She really does. I gosh, one of the other ones. She says, what are you about to say for yourself? Brittany, to quote the legends yourself? If I met me, I would say quick clow and then I would think I was a really nice girl. Sweet.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's me, and that's Santana, and that's Kurt and Rachel.
Speaker 1: In Heaven, Oh, Brittany, just it's like a field day for the writers to like have an episode where Brittany is like losing her mind. I think we're good. Heaven had so much fun performance. MVP goes to Heathern Morris.
Speaker 2: I mean, obviously there's no other option. Okay, Jenna, shit, we found on TikTok.
Speaker 1: Let's go.
Speaker 2: It's Taylor Swift but daddy, I love him. And it's Glee clips. It's Glee. This has been Brittany in me yes and then and everybody reacting to Oh, it's really good. It feels like a really great TV trailer from the nineties. Love Love Lesbian Gleek posted it. Thank you for posting that it's so good. People are complaining that Rachel wasn't included in it. I feel like we should just get another version, obviously, because it's so good. So when I make an extended version with Rachel's face, yes, when Brittany says that she's having my baby, absolutely not, Oh my gosh, that is Britney two point oh?
Speaker 1: Well where and here we go? Off to the races we go. It's season four. I hope you're enjoyed it. I did. I did too, Yeah for sure, wacky kokie crazy, but gotta love it pretty good. Just hold on because it gets crazier. I'm not mad at season for you. Me neither. All right, Well, thanks for joining us, and before we.
Speaker 2: Go, I have been traveling a bit lately, and I've been meeting a lot of you out in the real world. I r l who listened to the podcast, and so many people are rewatching the show. I've met so many people the past couple of weeks, and I just want to say thank you to all of you who listen, and thanks for telling your friends and your family or your friends who don't even listen to this but are rewatching it. It's great to meet these people. And talk about it because now I have something to talk I feel more knowledgeable now about the thing I was on at.
Speaker 1: Some point, So come back next week. Thank you everybody, that's what you really missed.
Speaker 2: Thanks for listening, and follow us on Instagram at and that's what you really miss pod. Make sure to write us a review and leave us five stars. See you next time.