Speaker 1: I can't count that much five four three two one?
Speaker 2: You know was that what it's hand and got the mother O.
Speaker 3: Sweete hey man, welcome back to the eighty five SAP Show. Now look over here at eighty five SAP Show, we had made it our business to invite all of the ghetto legends.
Speaker 2: We won't speak to all the ghetto.
Speaker 3: This man right here is definitely a certified ghetto legend by himself and talking big rap game, part of one of the biggest groups in rap history.
Speaker 2: It's the Big three TV show.
Speaker 4: Teenage hol On Educated. What you do it?
Speaker 2: That's he without having a twister f you know we're doing like this. You put it on the side. Okay.
Speaker 3: First of all, we got to say thank you, yes sir, for all the work you put in, all the game you put us up on, all the movies, all the everything you contributed to the culture.
Speaker 2: Man, Thank you man. Thanks checking it out. You know what I'm saying. Thanks for absorbing it and you know, making it part of the culture.
Speaker 1: All right.
Speaker 3: First thing I got to say before we even start doing the thing. First ship, because I know you be on line. I know you don't seen the fans been making posters put in d C and Friday for the last ten years.
Speaker 2: What we got to do to get DC in there?
Speaker 1: Man?
Speaker 2: Not too much, not too much, you know what I mean. Once it come around, we're gonna gonna make it happen.
Speaker 5: That Yeah, speaking of Friday, Like you always talk about the executive side, and I think that's something that is important to talk about. Like what made you so understanding of that side of the business being an artist so early, you know what I mean. You came in and was already a superstar, so you could have had people around you take care all of that. What made you want to be so involved in that side of the game.
Speaker 2: That's the fun part, you know, creating, you know, being able to to you know, touch every aspect of the project. You know, this is what we get off on, at least me, is the creative part. You know. I love to finish product, you know, but uh, you know, I'm just addicted to the journey, you know what I'm saying. Addicted to you know, putting it together, the meetings, uh, creative input, you know, people coming in with their talents and and and the pressure of getting it the day. You know, do all this planning, but you usually only got one day to shoot these scenes. So that's the day. We need you to be the ship. You know what I'm saying. We need you to be, you know, on your top level. So to me, all that's fun. And then the finished product, you know, we show it to the people, they love it, and you know, I'm usually off to the next non you've been in that.
Speaker 6: You've been in the game for quite some time, and that's not something to say to be like, oh now you old school.
Speaker 2: No, young buck.
Speaker 6: You want to be in the game becourse quite a long time.
Speaker 3: Which period was the best.
Speaker 6: Because you you are a icon, you are a staple.
Speaker 2: You are president When it was when? When? When yoga?
Speaker 1: The Beginning's day?
Speaker 3: The ship that y'all like, the ship?
Speaker 6: Yeah, it can't be recreated, it can't.
Speaker 3: It can't be duplicated.
Speaker 2: You did, yeah, which time? Oh man? You know, the beginning is all always the most vivid. You remember the beginning more than you know the whole journey, so, you know, just starting off as locals and you know, being underground. You know, we didn't we didn't even know, yeah, he said, Rodin swat me. We didn't even know the music we was doing was gonna make us big. We thought we was just gonna be local, underground ghetto stars. That's what we was trying to be, you know, get people in our own hood to really dig it, because they was fans of you know, what we considered the pros. You know, they was fans of the run DMCs and the rock cams and you know, everybody doing it on a major level. And so we figured if we can just you know, make noise in our own neighborhood, then you know, we can get a little bit of love because y'all ain't run dmceing coming around here. You know what I'm saying, Uh, Rock Kim ain't coming.
Speaker 3: Through here, but we are. So that was.
Speaker 2: Our plan to you know, conquer Compton Watt South Central l A. And and then you know, as soon as we like put our mind to that, right, it went the other way. It blew up, it went, it went instead of going more underground and went up.
Speaker 1: Now, let me ask you this, that's a good nigga.
Speaker 3: Right, last week sucked around and got a triple dope. Yeah, just as a as around triple double on these niggas, right, Who was keeping the stats?
Speaker 2: Well, you know, I kept my own stats. You know they keep I know I got ten points, you know, playing he's been missing. I know I got at least letting rebound understanding, So uh, I play basketball all the time, you know what I mean. It was like we'd be at the studio shooting east Wood. No, I ain't never played with cat. Im probably retired by the time he came gonna call me.
Speaker 3: I can't believe you really asked in the video cube shotow, I had a shot, I said.
Speaker 2: Like I used to play with a lot of big niggas when I was little. I had to develop a shot to get it over there. Ass I developed this, you know, kind of like going to the basket, but I'm not going for a layup. I'm actually going wider thought that hook up.
Speaker 1: Today was a good day for a black man.
Speaker 3: That was a hell of a That was a great hell of a That was amazing.
Speaker 2: I had to be come on then when you woke up, get up.
Speaker 3: Went outside and read the life of the good Year blim.
Speaker 2: What is it?
Speaker 3: He was a's like eleven blimps in the world, a good Year blimp.
Speaker 2: It was a good day, man. You know, I just wanted to It was a trip because when I did that song you know, niggas and my.
Speaker 3: Crew was like, what is this man with you?
Speaker 2: Before I before I related, I was just wrapping it on the paper. I was like, what you're talking about? Q. You a hardcore rapper, Nigga, you can't be having as nigga blasting And now I'm like, nah, you know, I'm a reality rapper and nig I'm having a good day rap about it.
Speaker 1: Nigga's okay to feel.
Speaker 2: Good, It's okay.
Speaker 7: That's crazy though, to go from your basketball line that you just said to the Big Three like your Love and Stuff show, It's like you saying that you enjoy creating. I'm like, okay, that's why you wrote the movie. You know what I'm saying. That's why you the basketball day, that's why you've got the Big Three. And that ain't no easy shit to do, man, any stepping out of any sport man, and you facing a lot of opposition with that. So I just gotta tip my head to that.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 3: Nigga, got help bawling.
Speaker 2: It's the hardest. It's the hardest shit I ever had to do. I'm gonna try to do an entertainment because you know, hip hop was already here when I started. You know, rat was there, movies was going when I started. You know, they got basketball, but they don't have three on three. And then to try to elevate it to the professional level and get you know, first people to take it serious and then for people to become fans. You know that that's been a.
Speaker 3: You know, that's that's not been.
Speaker 2: The hard part. The hard part is going against this opposition from other leagues. They don't want new leagues to come in because you start, you know, cutting up that that's that sponsored dollars. It's only so many dollars to go around in the sponsor world. NFL wanted all NBA wanted, all MLB wanted, all NHL, you know, all these other established leagues. They want all their money. And they have a new league coming in siphoning it those funds into our league. It's just a lot of people hating on that and trying to stop it. And you know, you gotta you gotta be down to fight for what you believe in, and UH can't be scared. You gotta be down there to go after the big boys.
Speaker 1: You said, fuck the police.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean.
Speaker 1: Going to get the system. Since you came in the game, man.
Speaker 2: And that's the only way I know how to do it, because, like I said, we thought it was gonna be locals and we didn't know, so we was just being real. And then when it start to blow up, now you have you know, reporters in our face. You got people you know coming at us with all kinds of opposition, you know, from the FBI to you know, Billboard and all these established music you know, publications. Is everybody's coming after even music industry, rap industry, the government, you know pmr C, which was the parent Music Resources and some ship like that and shit to us. You know, we was like, yo, better than you know, crips coming after you, better than blood's coming after you know what I'm saying, this is easy, Like to deal with these people they just talking. Ain't nobody gonna pull out no pistols, you know, it's just gonna be a bunch of questions. And then we went through that storm and realized, you know, and we're pretty unscathed. You know what I'm saying, like, keep going, you know, don't don't let nothing stop us. And that's been my attitude and entertainment. Don't letting them stop.
Speaker 3: So to go from fuck the police now you talking to presidents and shit like that. Man, what was that transition like to cover that much ground to go from fuck the police?
Speaker 1: Like, I got a plan, I need to go holler as somebody.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know what. The plan was really a plan for us, like for us to to have a thirty thousand foot view of the big problem. You know, after twenty twenty George Floyd, everybody was saying this needs to change, this needs to change, and they was coming from all angles. It was mostly on police brutality, brutalty and law enforcement and all that shit. But then I was like, man, this problem is bigger than just police brutality. It's an economic problem, it's social is it's a wide issue. So I got with a bunch of scholars and started to research how did we get here? How why did we have it so fucked up in this country? And came up with a with a plan that I thought, you know, could help us get out of it if the country was serious by making a turnaround. And I put it out there, and just to be clear, these people came to talk to me. They was asking, could you come in talk to us about your plan? Democrats and Republicans. So I was like, man, no problem, shit, what you want to know, Here's how here's what we're thinking on this, here's what we're thinking on that. And some people ran with it, some people didn't, you know what I'm saying. But to me, I felt like I had the resources and you know, I had the just the energy and the passion to take a long look at it because nobody was doing that. You know. It's like, man, all these people that been through office, ain't nobody came up with a plan for us, you know what I'm saying. Nobody, you know, from you know, going back to Jesse Jackson and third grade Marshall and all these like, nobody came up with a plan and went to the government and said, this is what we need to do for black people to start, you know, gaining the rewards out of this country that we're putting in, putting in a lot of tax money and shit, but I ain't getting no benefits of it, or just bullshit benefits. And then you know, it became controversial because one side looked at it, one side didn't. And now they were trying to use me as a political football, like you with him you with them, you with that, you with this, and I'm like, I ain't with shit. These motherfuckers called me. You know, I was minding my own business. I did this plan for us to look at and now everybody thinking, I'm you know this or that or the other, and it wasn't true. So to be honest, it's just you know, giving a fuck, you know, seeing the issue and trying to address it and you know the best way we can to get the government to look at it and fix it. And so that's how you go from you know, doing movies, music, you getting in a position with people they take your opinion.
Speaker 3: Did they say some shit you could use? Did they give you some insight who the people you was talking to with the plan?
Speaker 1: Did they say any good shit?
Speaker 8: Man?
Speaker 2: You know, it's it's all a it's all a game. At the end of the day. Everything in that plan, them niggas knew. It wasn't like I was bringing up something they didn't know. They know what's going on. They know they're not giving and that's what we need. You know what I'm saying, that's part of the plan. And you know, that's what you realize when you get to them levels that you know, the people just capping to get a vote, and then when they get to vote, they're gonna go do what the fuck they want to do.
Speaker 7: Yea you seeing that it happens.
Speaker 1: That's the gang you know.
Speaker 5: You see hip hop now with all the you know, the the way that people are affiliated with, all this different type of stuff.
Speaker 1: And niggas is going to jail and all that.
Speaker 5: You come from the city of gang banging, but you never was affiliated with anything. How did you manage to navigate that? And what advice could you give the new artists or how they can navigate it and being able to become as successful as you are without associating yourself with something that you know you might come from.
Speaker 1: You don't have to be a part of.
Speaker 2: Just make up your mind. You know, everybody in La affiliated affiliated with something. You can't be from LA and not be from somewhere because every neighborhood is somewhere. You know what I'm saying, Every neighborhood, it's somebodyhood that you're part of. And it was no different from me. It's just, uh, you know, making up your mind like I saw, I saw something in music and being creative that took a lot of my time, took a lot of my attention, took me off the street, and I was in the studio. So in them years fourteen fifteen, when you're making a decision on what you want to do and you know you're gonna be a writer, you're gonna be a regular guy, you know what I mean, that age just when you start making those decisions. And thank god I was hanging with Doctor Dre and making music and you know, in them years, I'm thinking about something creative and positive and it's bringing in money. And you know, it was just.
Speaker 3: Fun talking about this for a long time, like sellouts in the black people who just black on the outside, who don't.
Speaker 1: Really give a fuck about the black community.
Speaker 3: And yeah, even in the music with the like Who's Themacan Ship like that where you always made fun to sell out black people.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, you know, it's it's a thing where you can't forget where you come from, of course, and you got to look to help people that's ready. Everybody ain't ready to ride. Everybody ain't ready for you know, they're not ready for prime time. So everybody can't go. But you know, always reach back. You know, I've always reached back talent or or people or just you know, people from from a neighborhood that can help, you know, help me, you know, on my journey. And you know, the people that's serious, that's down, that's willing to change their life, they get to go. The people that are still on that bullshit, they got to stay.
Speaker 6: A giving back like you're always going to get it.
Speaker 2: Don't matter.
Speaker 3: I don't hear the bullshit.
Speaker 6: They coming from a lane who don't who don't know nothing about nothing.
Speaker 3: I can tell off the projects that you bring.
Speaker 6: You don't have to put niggas in the movie if you don't want them in.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, it's true.
Speaker 1: Yeah, straight up. You have made so many movies with other niggas.
Speaker 3: In it that it put them on.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know it's a look somebody put me on. They ain't discovering me, you know. You know. He just was like, man, I want to put you in a movie. Man, I know you could do it. And and when I see people and I know they can do it, be like, you can't wait till I got something this person or that person or that some point in the key.
Speaker 9: The key, the key is to set them up for success, you know, not to just put them in anything with any role or but to give them that perfect role where they can get busy, they can like you know, steal a scene or two.
Speaker 2: And then from there continue to you know, to show the world what they got. I was like, I was happy that I had a way to show uh, the guys that I thought was funny and and good that wasn't getting you know, the shine, that I had a project or something that they was right for and they, you know, it was down to do it, trusted me in and you know, busy.
Speaker 5: You have a defining role like for yourself and one that you wrote. Do you feel like you have not really really you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: I'm not like looking to play any thing. You know. It's just like, you know, whatever's dope, you know, and I don't have to be the one to think of the idea. You know. Sometime like Barbershop that was somebody brought that to to uh, you know, ten Story and them dudes brought that to the Q Vision and we did it, and so you know, I'm all, I'm up for that too. You know. Ride Along was another movie that that was was Doug brought it to us. We put the polish on it. And ended up doing it. What about What We Do? Yeah, that was another movie that was Adam Sandler was supposed to do that they.
Speaker 3: Had during that time. I watched that movie three thousand times.
Speaker 2: So yeah, he was supposed to do the movie. He couldn't do it. And then they was like, Yo, would you consider doing a movie for kids like that? And I'm like you said yeah, I said, yeah, I want to do it because for one, black kids don't get movies done, you know in that way special effects and the stunts and just a big movie for for black kids, you know. And so because I had little five year olds coming to me saying, you, Craig, you.
Speaker 3: Gotta knock the funk out and all this like.
Speaker 2: Watching that movie, so said, I need to do something for the little bitties. Knocked the kids. And I know they watching Friday when I should be watching some ship like they get to a certain.
Speaker 5: Name Friday every day.
Speaker 1: I love it.
Speaker 3: Mean here you always got a dope ass call bro that did in the contract somewhere. You gotta have a nice ass, right, I mean I next fold the dope boy head. That ship was so the gold on gold Yeah, yeah that was hard.
Speaker 2: Uh naturally, Yeah, yeah, I definitely requested that, right, you know, I had one for real. So I was like, man, this ain't this ain't been in a movie yet. Put this one in a movie. Yeah, you know, I try to make sure my ship is right in the movies. I know a lot of people got fly ass cars. Call them up, man, you want your shit in the movie, and yep, who.
Speaker 3: I need to give my number to that.
Speaker 6: And we did Friday and they wanted to come the secret right, And when Og wanted to go do his thing, how did you manage to transition and say, you know what, I ain't eed tripping. I can respect both sides, but I still got to be me. I got to go find new talent and we got to keep this franchise going well.
Speaker 2: I knew, like, okay, everybody got a crazy friend, but everybody got a crazy cousin too. So I'm like, well, since Smokey not gonna be in the movie, I gotta I gotta take it off the block because everybody's gonna be like we're smoky at if we're still I said, okay, I'm gonna take Craig off the block. He worried about Debo fucking him up and he's gonna go live with his cousin. And you know, finding Mike Aapps was like a jewel. Like when I first seen him, I knew he was day day first seen him on stage and just was checking him out, and I was like, this nigga is hilarious. Like his comedy was all over the place, was here, there, everywhere, and uh, it was just hood and funny. He was funny, and I said he could play my cousin. And you know, to me, you know, I wanted Chris to be in every movie. But I'm glad Mike Gavis Me and Mike gaps Wen did some great movies to mind.
Speaker 10: That happened without probably you know what I'm saying, getting the opportunity man.
Speaker 3: But you work well with comedians though, you do right along Kevin Hard Yeah, yeah, you know some of my all my buddies are funny, like everybody that's we look serious everybody you know malay and do our ship, but you just be laughing our ass.
Speaker 6: Could that be the thing like all your characters you want to play the series role, but they end up saying some funny ship where you like you make them like, they make you like like them at the end of the movie, like you.
Speaker 1: All right, yeah, you get your.
Speaker 2: Definitely, you know. The key to me is, you know, not not trying to be funny, you know what I mean, just you know, let the situ ride that. The comedians or whoever I got, that's their job. But my job is to support and throw them jabs in the right in the middle of you know, you know, the the you know comedian I'm working with getting busy. You know it's a comedy, and you know it's really the cast and the people around that's really making the movie super funny. I don't have to be you know, I'm not a comedian, so you straight that's straight man, and let him get busy.
Speaker 3: But one of my favorite ice Cube characters from How I Learned It, Yeah, played the woke serious nigga, but you still had you know what I mean, still kept it real streeting hood, but with throwing the education ship in there too.
Speaker 2: You know, you know it's uh, it's one of those probably on every campus you know, oh dude who have been there five years no campus inside now, but also all the games and you know, trying to spread that knowledge which we all need.
Speaker 5: Players Club is another one man like just club Man, you know with Bernie Mack like, was that Did you have a hand in that?
Speaker 2: Hell, yeah, I wrote that movie.
Speaker 5: I mean I'm saying, I mean as far as casting specifically, specifically wrote.
Speaker 2: Dollar Bill for Bernie.
Speaker 3: That's one of the greatest all time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Bernie, you know, yeah, he don't been in a lot of movies. But it's hard to me for anybody to mess with that. We just I just let him get busy.
Speaker 5: I was about to say, how much of it did you write it? How much of it did you just say?
Speaker 2: Action?
Speaker 1: And then let Bernie do what you.
Speaker 3: Know I wrote, No, I don't, I don't. I don't start with a wax script.
Speaker 2: The script gotta be funny out loud while you're reading it.
Speaker 3: Why you're gonna start.
Speaker 2: So if I if I have a script that's funny out loud while you're reading it, I know when I give it to you know, somebody like, y'all, you're gonna go. You know, it's it's solid, it's funny. If you just said it how it is, it'll be funny. But I know when I you know, let dudes add their little flavor to it and stick with the script, but also add those you know curveballs in there that it just take it to another level.
Speaker 3: And when you took it to a little level like and a conda.
Speaker 1: Yeah, playing some ship.
Speaker 3: I know, y'all was in the swamp.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I can get in here. Yeah. The reason I did in the conduct was because, like the nigga didn't die. I was like, y'all, I started I saw Jurassic Niggas died in the first five minutes of the movie.
Speaker 3: So I'm like, if y'all want to be in this movie, I can't die.
Speaker 2: And I wanted to help kill the snake. And it was like all right, and they rewrote it, and I.
Speaker 3: Was like, okay, crazy.
Speaker 2: You know, we shot that ship in Brazil. Now not real. Nigga announced Brazil in the middle of the Amazon. Yeah, in the middle of Amazon.
Speaker 1: And was scared.
Speaker 2: In Amazon. Don't care, We're doing the movie, right, you know what I mean? They man, it.
Speaker 3: Was like it was a part where you had to go to the water.
Speaker 2: They told me you got getting water the Amazon War. This point, It's like back then, I don't really know all the special effects. I'm like, man, just do some special effects and shit, when I'm.
Speaker 3: Walking through the water.
Speaker 2: It was like, nah, man, you gotta get in. Everybody getting in. Man. You know, it's a part where I'm like, well, where the fuck I gotta go right now? The Amazon when it rained, it rises thirty feet, so you at the top of trees. You're on the boat, but you're seeing the tops of trees, and so I'm like, wait a minute, how are we gonna get in this water?
Speaker 5: Man?
Speaker 3: So the water's supposed to be waist high.
Speaker 2: So they said, we made a plank where you can walk on this plank and it'll keep you waist high. But if you step off the plank, you can. I'm like, it took him two hours to talk to me. In to that same two hours, Man, I ain't going. I ain't doing it. Man, I don't give a fuck.
Speaker 3: Shoot it without.
Speaker 2: The AI in that part, you know what I'm I'm looking at where I can cut. If I cut this out, I ain't got to go. I don't go in the water. But it was like, man, we need you, need you, need you. So after a while, man, I put on school of gear and all kind of ship. My god, damn, man, it's some real ship. It's some real sh I'm ready to get out this water. Man, you know what I mean this movie ships, man, it's it's real Anakina out there's you know, Piranha, It's all kind of ship in that water man, And so it was it was that was I was like, man, what the fuck am I doing my life? You know what I'm saying. I'm in the middle of the Amazon doing the goddamn movie and in this bullshit water you know what I'm saying. So it all turned out cool. You know. We was actually really scared of the electric the mechanical snake. They had a mechanical snake that these fucking college kids built, and that motherfucker went haywire one time, almost fucked up Jennifer Lopez. It malfunctioned and that ship just started to tear up. The set almost swung, swung, it almost hit her in the face and ship and they had to grab her out of there. So so we after that, everybody looking at this fucking snake.
Speaker 8: Like we scared of this motherfucking thing for real, because it was like this metal skeleton, the black one, but it was wrapped in this like attire.
Speaker 2: Damn.
Speaker 3: The So this ship was hitching face up and we acting with this ship and we're like, man, it's fuck the malfunction. Just pop a nigga right in the mouth. So we're scared of this thing for real. Yeah yeah, yeah, yeah, nigga k QB had against and they ain't never did that.
Speaker 5: No matter how many drive, you ain't never been in an Amazon fighting the snake.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, yeah, all of which one was the best one when you like, damn all about the Benjamins.
Speaker 3: Smile.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was that was fun. You know. We shot that in Miami, and you know it was like, you know, try to make you know, this action comedy. It was my first time going after the action comedy title.
Speaker 3: It was cool.
Speaker 2: You know. We didn't have a lot of big budget but made it work.
Speaker 6: All your great movies with the no budget shit, I wouldn't consider low.
Speaker 2: But yeah, yeah, yeah, you know in Hollywood it is that ain't no much. Actually, twenty five is low in Hollywood.
Speaker 1: Give us a low budget.
Speaker 2: It will take me.
Speaker 1: Come up, up, we're building those snakes. We'll build something.
Speaker 5: We will use you show back to the music man, like you are literally one of the greatest to ever touch a microphone. Man, what what after all these years of being at this high level, what makes you still want to do that part to wrap.
Speaker 2: It, and I love it, you know, like like when we first came out, we didn't think we was gonna make no money. We just was having fun being able to do something different. A lot of people wasn't wrapping when we started, so it was unique, you know what I mean. You come in, you bust everybody you know into it, and it's always been fun.
Speaker 7: You know.
Speaker 2: Of course it got serious when I start getting deals and having to pay back budgets and all this kind of stuff. But now I do my own records. I've been doing my own records since six and that shit is fun because I ain't got to worry about paying nobody back. You know, do.
Speaker 3: You know the game to change? Everybody that heard about some of the terrible record deals and you know the snakes in the game. So when when young artists come up to you and ask you for advice on the music game or contracts, what you're telling.
Speaker 2: When it comes to contracts and stuff like that, Like, you know, everybody has a different situation. You know, some people can make their own music and you know before they even try to shop a deal, and then some people, you know, need that budget to even make a record, So it depends on where they're coming from. You got to know this. You got your own music, you got your own record, You can do content visuals. You own one hundred percent of that. So you basically signing to go give somebody a piece of yo, what you on one hundred percent of You're signing to give somebody a piece of that, and so you know it. You got to look at it on that level. Like I could see if you're just discovered, somebody say, y'all, I want to do a record on you. You sound good. Okay, it's cool for them to get a piece of that. If you create and do everything, you should be trying to look for ways to put it out and keep everything if you can. If you can't, then make a deal. But don't go give up your whole project for a little ten twelve points or whatever when you own one hundred percent of it. Off the jump, you know, we just gotta look at it in them terms. You know, do your own content. You're on that until you go give it away.
Speaker 1: Straight out of company.
Speaker 3: How much of that is true?
Speaker 6: All of it's true, all of us.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I went in there with a bat.
Speaker 5: That's why they wanted to get that water.
Speaker 2: With a movie like that. When you're making a movie about real life and you're trying to squeeze ten years into two hours or three hours or whatever, what what you end up doing is a summary of what happened. So certain things might have happened in a month, you know, certain situations, but you gotta get it out on two scenes. So you try to figure out how to create a scene where all these all this information can get out it makes sense. So you know, everything is true, but everything might not have happened in that one scene. Like you see us in the studio one time and I'm like, yo, Jerry, what about the contracts? You know that probably happened over two or three weeks, so yo, what the fuck? You know? Boom boom working, you know, talking shit working. But in the movie everything is like just crunched and summarized. So it's all true. It's just you know, timeline is squosing into two hours when things should actually be stretched, be stretched a little bit.
Speaker 5: Somebody never heard ice Cube before. Somebody never heard your music. This is what song is ice Cube playing for a person that never heard ice cube?
Speaker 2: Oh man, never heard an ice Cube song? I definitely play it was a good day.
Speaker 1: That's the one.
Speaker 2: Definitely play. I Gotta.
Speaker 1: No Vaciline.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and that's one of the hardest motherfuckers.
Speaker 2: It's the hardest.
Speaker 1: Y'all sit it all, man, like, what was that day like? Recording that.
Speaker 3: I had?
Speaker 2: I had to rap. I didn't tell nobody the lyrics, and I didn't want nobody to even hear what I was saying because I didn't wanted to get back to them what the record was, so just kept it in my book. I knew what I wanted to rap over, which was Danny Dane had a record called Cinder Feller and the Other Day and they used that. They used that dazz beat to get.
Speaker 3: Don't Boom.
Speaker 2: I'm like, man, he used that a long time ago. I'm about to flip this ship. So I had uh dj pool. A couple of the producers I was working with was just flipped the beat and it was just rolling. I was like, all right, I'm ready and put the beat on. I went in there and wrapped that shit and they was just quiet. When I came out to booth, they was like, God, damn cute, you're putting that out. Like yep, I'm for going on the end of the record, it was like gotten it. Everybody just was like eyebrows up, like, man, hold, we better get ready, it's coming, you know what I mean, This shit about to get crazy around here. So yeah, just blew their mind. Everybody was just tripping that that I was going that hard and you know, yeah, somebody asked me, man, you're gonna put that out, like yeah, that's going out.
Speaker 1: That's going out.
Speaker 3: Another one, the other one, Jack Beats Jack. Yeah, that year Once upon a Time in the press.
Speaker 5: Was over one like when the girls break nothing, that's.
Speaker 11: My What about the one you were MACI It was the number head Paul put that one with you macin and the other one yeah, it was.
Speaker 2: Come on man, gags make the world god Man dope song, Yeah, Summer vacation man with uh what was the first one you said before? From Once from Time the project Jack Beat in eighty nine, so many Dope Beats came out, like all these records came out with all these beats, and I was just going crazy.
Speaker 3: Like, damn, I wish that was my ship. Damn I wish that one was mine.
Speaker 2: And one day I was like, you know what, I'm gonna do a song with all these niggas beats, cut them up every beat, I like, I'm gonna rap over that ship?
Speaker 12: Was you the first one that time?
Speaker 2: I mean I'm the first one. I know that to put it on the record.
Speaker 5: Niggas might have been rapping on other people beats in the projects, but to put it out like you put that out?
Speaker 3: How you get that CLI project?
Speaker 2: Manad?
Speaker 1: I was about to see how you get that?
Speaker 2: Clear?
Speaker 5: You around rapping on my beat better than me? Fuck that nigga, he can't put this out many.
Speaker 2: They cleared it? But what what? What was hard?
Speaker 7: Like?
Speaker 2: I would sample like D Nice is the first record to call me? D Nice is the first record on Jack and for Beats, But that nigga has sampled it from another record, so I had to pay him.
Speaker 12: It ain't even your check.
Speaker 3: Let's go to him, man.
Speaker 2: It was on a few different beats. They had used other people ship, so I had to double pay.
Speaker 1: Sample like that?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was. You know that that's a fucking song. You know it's only one hundred percent of publishing. I think that was like a thousand percent.
Speaker 3: Goodness gracious man, But you've always been known for being the writer too, Like you rolled a lot of raps for other people.
Speaker 8: Man.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you ever be in that bag where you just you're knocking the motherfuckers down and you're like, no, I don't even.
Speaker 1: Know if I want to get this, nigga this one.
Speaker 2: Uh. I had a song called a Gangsterous fairy Tale that was supposed to be an easy song. I'm so hard. They was tripping talking ship. I'm like, nig you ain't yet too. We resolved this ship staying in my note, but I ain't gonna talk about this and uh, and then we broke up and I was like, this mother fucker, Mommy, I changed little boys and girls. They all love me. Come sitting on the lap of easy and let me tell you a story or two. I just changed it. Come sitting on the lap of ice, let me tell your story or two and just kept on.
Speaker 1: Rolling nice with it.
Speaker 3: Now you've been writing rap songs thirty five forty years, then then how long did it take you to creation?
Speaker 1: Shit?
Speaker 2: There?
Speaker 1: What's your process?
Speaker 2: It depends you know, if I love to beat, if I got the concept, if it's been if I've been sitting on this concept for a minute, then you know I could I can write I usually write two verses, you know, off the rip, just I don't leave to I got two verses and two hooks, and then I'll go think about that third verse, like how do I sum this song up? How do I put the bow on it and wrap it up? So that third verse, my, you know, just take me another time to go back in there and just work on the beat.
Speaker 6: Were you always nice with words like did you read you know, back then muffles than you reading?
Speaker 2: I was when I was young.
Speaker 3: When I was young, I used to, you know, my teacher tell us, you know, just got off Christmas vacation.
Speaker 2: What did y'all do. I'll be able to write, you know, vividly what we did. And uh. One day it got into she read it and it was so cool. She put it in the school paper, like the little elementary newsletter.
Speaker 3: So I'm like, damn, that's my name, that's my ship. I wrote that. So it got me where I was like, oh ship, like people did what I write?
Speaker 1: And uh.
Speaker 2: And then when I graduated from the sixth grade, they asked me to write a speech to you know, speak to my graduating class, and shit, so I was did that. I got up there and out and I delivered the speech and everybody was feeling it.
Speaker 3: They was clapping the shit.
Speaker 2: So I'm like, damn, I can I can write it and I can deliver it, you know what I mean, I can articulate it. And so that's where I knew, Okay, I got I got something here. And then rap came into my life about two years later when I was fourteen, and it was it was a trip because me and my homie kiddo, we was in a typing class. That's when they had typing type in class young and we didn't want to be in there. Yeah, we we don't belong in this class.
Speaker 7: You know.
Speaker 2: It's just we didn't get our electives. We was late. So this that's all they had left.
Speaker 3: So look at this nigga liked he I don't want to be no secretary here.
Speaker 2: So he looked at me one day he was like, man, you ever write a rap? Before? I was like, nah, you write one, I write one. We see which one is the best.
Speaker 3: And ship. So I was typing out a rap, you know what I mean, thinking this ship typing and my ship was better than.
Speaker 2: He was biting people. Ship. I'm like, I heard the fat boys say that, like mine was original and I just never stopped after that day trying to tell my raps to people. Motherfuckers, Like come on, man, I was all off beating ship. I didn't know how to to like flow it. I could write it, but I had to learn how to flow. And fucking with the homie Jinks from down the street, the only nigga that had DJ equipment and instrumentals and shit. He was like, man, come to my house because you gotta wrap that to a beat. We gotta you gotta find a flow on this shit. So dowing the instrumental there and I started to figure out, okay, the cadence, and I'm like, oh, this shit is fun, bouncing on his beat. And I was just down there every day. Niggas was clowning me. Niggas in my neighborhood. Are you going down here, man, hanging out with this dude? Manu nigga? You run there and see now nigga Curtis blow nigga And I would be like, man, fuck y'all went out here. We'd be in there hours, man e j scratching and watching him, you know, try to you know, we was all trying to get good, and he just kept on it. Then one day he was like, you know what my cousin is. I said, no, he said doctor Tre Nigga. I was like doctor T and I'm like, uh, he said, yeah, he made a record. I said, nigga, you got a cousin made a record, so they gat. He pull out a record Doctor Drane's Surgery. He put that on my phone and said, Nigga, that's your cousin. I don't meet this nigga. Man, this niggas actually, you know, I'm a fan of rap music. This niggas is actually doing music like he's doing record off record. So that was just addicted. It was like when he coming off. Man, when he come off, that nigga would never come over. I'm like going. And then one day the nigga called me. They was having a barbecue or some ship. Nigga called me here, Nigga, come on down. Yeah, I'm grabbing no books.
Speaker 3: Nigga running down there, and uh, the last thing this nigga wanted to do is hear us rap.
Speaker 2: You know what I mean. He enjoined the barbecue.
Speaker 3: There with you know, Amy and cousins and everybody, and we just in the garage with the equipment like man when is this nigga?
Speaker 2: Come back here? See tright you coming back? He said, he coming right back in there. Another hour. I'm like, man, come on, nigga. Finally came back there. All right, let me see what y'all got. So we started busting. He was like laughing at the ship. I'm saying, I'm like, okay, got this, dude, And I started uh. He ended up coming over a lot after that, and then we just was hanging out and then he was like, man, you want to go to the studio. I said, hell yeah. Took us all to the studio, and then that was Lonzo Williams Spoting Compton. He ran the wrecking crew and man, these niggas had equipment. They was doing beats and and I'm like, damn, this is a dream truth. I don't want to go home, right yeah, right here. We could do this ship out there. I still got a thousand questions.
Speaker 5: Man, we got we got another project, new album album coming out.
Speaker 2: Man down November twenty second.
Speaker 12: Let's go down.
Speaker 2: I got that song out right now called It's My Ego? Video?
Speaker 1: Is real?
Speaker 2: Is my video? Is looking real? Movie?
Speaker 4: Like?
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, getting back in the movie bag. You know, we wanted to do a big video and not just a visual. Yeah, just a thank you doing just visuals.
Speaker 2: You know, I wanted to do a real video and uh it's got a lot of traction and ship and we got we got a remix called Ego maniacsd us out Killer Mica is on the Mendoe got the whole time. Yeah, and so that I'm gonna be out, uh, you know on the twenty seve I can't quintessential ice Cube. You know, if you've been an ice Cue fan, you're gonna love this record. I ain't trying to be nothing. I'm not, you know, I'm just trying to, you know, keep your fastball right down the middle about your pastor.
Speaker 12: That's Stanley, nigga from I've been looking at that.
Speaker 3: The whole time.
Speaker 1: I'm like, Bro, I think that Stanley. I want to walk on this nigga grand.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, he was you a real nigga, Bro, He's from Stanley.
Speaker 3: Love Man.
Speaker 2: I got c W here two Pikky Driver right there, the nigga in the do right there.
Speaker 12: I got your.
Speaker 3: Saying in the trap, don't let it be your last man, let it fin out.
Speaker 2: So y'all doing, y'all very entertaining man