Speaker 1: Quest Love Supreme is a production of iHeart Radio.
Speaker 2: Are we last on your pres list?
Speaker 3: Your last for the day, but not for the Oh God, I.
Speaker 4: Know this feeling.
Speaker 3: Drink spoke of blood. Relax, this is yeah.
Speaker 4: I want to be I want to be like Sugar Steve like.
Speaker 5: That's the vibe. I'm trying to No problem.
Speaker 2: He's already high.
Speaker 3: No one ever said that. Ever, I might as well doing you.
Speaker 4: I'll be right, Flowers, Flowers is getting high? What the is happening?
Speaker 5: I don't like you? Keep it together.
Speaker 4: Ship, Please don't do that.
Speaker 5: Please please eat a bunch of mushrooms?
Speaker 2: Is your method?
Speaker 5: I don't even know.
Speaker 2: Is it a is it a bowl? I'm trying to guess it. I guess a bowl, I feel I look.
Speaker 5: Hold on, he just ate something?
Speaker 4: What did you eat?
Speaker 5: Marvin Gay?
Speaker 4: Yeah? Edible?
Speaker 5: I got a dummy edible.
Speaker 3: I have a one hundred joint on the middle gram.
Speaker 5: Yeah, is going.
Speaker 2: Quest Love Supreme school.
Speaker 3: My days of virgin alcohol edibles are over.
Speaker 6: Eric, You've done the show a hundred times and I can't doubt for you to do He just did to tell me this is the first time ever.
Speaker 5: It's a big moment. It's a big supreme and yo, we already discussed that.
Speaker 3: I've been doing this for like a year and now my anniversary.
Speaker 5: All right, not on the show, not on the show.
Speaker 3: Though, not on the show is the one to my knowledge, if you was vaccinated. So, ladies and gentlemen, this is a another episode. It's already kicked them. Maybe this is uh quest Love Supreme with quest Low. Uh that's my name and uh fante's laughing already. Anyway, we have team Supreme with us Layah, congratulations. Oh well you got your second shot. I'm congratulating people that got their shots already.
Speaker 7: I did it felt really good Outstay tuned to see how sick I feel tomorrow.
Speaker 3: But thank you, don't don't manifest. Don't manifest orthing you're gonna You're gonna get this unscathed, unscathed, beautiful. Which one here you got, the Pfizer or the Moderna? Which one you get?
Speaker 8: Got the old head got the old gotta Pfizer?
Speaker 4: Okay?
Speaker 3: I did Maderna.
Speaker 8: Covered?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Man, you know I should be there. I think anything other than that Astra Zenica that's the only one that's a little jankie.
Speaker 2: That ain't allowed that isn't allowed. That's illegal, legal stuff.
Speaker 3: Now in Ireland they don't do that ship, Yeah, they don't. How's it going, Bill fucking I'm great? Uh uh yeah, it's great. I don't have anywhere muppets more. Yeah, today was a Muppet day.
Speaker 6: I wrote a jingle, I worked out a little bit.
Speaker 5: Uh oh oh.
Speaker 6: My kids are going back to school next week, so I had to watch a video about the safety protocols for going back to school.
Speaker 5: That was the big thing that happened.
Speaker 3: So this was the first time they're going back to school in the year correct, and they're terrified and excited at the same time. From one to ten, How happy are you right now? Sixty seven thousand? I got you all right, Suger Steve. How's it going, man? I see you uped your your logo and you got tags on your network right now. I'm impressed. Who's doing this stuff for you?
Speaker 5: I don't know what you're talking about. You're high right now, right the drugs have kicked in, that's regular you're talking about.
Speaker 9: We just got some Yeah, we got some exciting new graphics happening on the network.
Speaker 5: Yeah. I was.
Speaker 3: I was borderline jealous. I was like, you you now have graphics.
Speaker 8: Yeah, you got a new record.
Speaker 2: Can you let the world know about that?
Speaker 3: Please?
Speaker 9: I'm sorry, no, well, I'd rather answer the question I was asked, but.
Speaker 3: Pluck your record, Steve, stop playing records store days upon us.
Speaker 9: Yeah, it's not official yet, so I can't. I'm not saying anything.
Speaker 5: It's Eric Baski.
Speaker 3: You're the most underpromoting celebrity. I know, celebrity down.
Speaker 9: I want to promote the graphics guys from my network. It's at beat Knock and at as I hear in nineteen seventy four.
Speaker 3: Okay, well, I'm very proud that you know, you up your game and networks strong network tight, network is strong. Take a little.
Speaker 5: How's it going? I'm good, brother Landlow standing out of white people's business.
Speaker 3: I'm waiting. I see it staying in our white people's business. That's that should be our news.
Speaker 2: No, he's getting to.
Speaker 5: You, God sakes, do not talk. Please guess me.
Speaker 3: Do you feel like you're on your own show right now?
Speaker 4: Anyway?
Speaker 3: All right, so let me. I'm I'm winging this now ship all right, Yeah, let's get to the guests.
Speaker 5: Our Our guest.
Speaker 3: Today is an extraordinary gentleman of many talents. All his film credits what are you doing? Eric, We're not even on video? H God? Now, now I wish this episode was on He's acting. He's acting a fool on on on Zoom Ladies and Gentlemen one. Yeah. So his film credits include uh, my my personal favorite movie, which is uh, The Invention of Lying, Uh, The Intern with de Niro, Uh, the cult classic pop Star with Andy Samberg, and shall I say a very very talented drummer producer renaissance man.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 3: He also played Zezi and the Lion King the live action Verson and his team credits are all the classic suspects like Kirby Enthusiasm, Big Bang Theory, helped me out, y'all?
Speaker 4: Oh got cut too soon? Everything just to be in twenty three. I'm taking my yes, one line at a time.
Speaker 3: No, you've done the classices girls.
Speaker 10: All that other stuff is embarrassment.
Speaker 3: No, it's not take your take your flowers. We're giving flowers on the show. Take your flowers, welcome to.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'll take I will take all the flowers anyway.
Speaker 3: Robot Chicken, Menu Man, Secret Woman, Lucas Brothers Moving Company with with shall I say uh, the same very talented drummer, producer, Renaissance guy. And speaking of that, that that great gentleman, I will say that's probably He is best known as the host of the insanely classic stoner talk show Comedy Central.
Speaker 4: Correct Adult Swim, No.
Speaker 3: Adults Swim is its own Okay, I didn't know that because a.
Speaker 2: Certain time times to adults Swim come on this conversation.
Speaker 5: Cartoon Network Adult Swim it is Cartoon Network.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I meant, but if it's Electric Blue, it's still the Playboy Channel. Like I didn't know it was a subsidiary. So wow, cut cut right now.
Speaker 5: That is a deep cut.
Speaker 3: Anyone over the age of forty is dying right now. That at that, because we've all been there with our hand on the remote control.
Speaker 6: Absolutely busses in the Robin Bird, Rob Bird.
Speaker 8: Maybe this gummy was a bad id?
Speaker 5: Who is the guest? Like, all right, we'll get to it anyway.
Speaker 3: One it shows on Adult Swim, The Eric Andre Show. I would like to personally say that, oh that I will point that if there was a paradigm shift in my twenty seven year career, you know, I mean there's and Grammy's has been associations jay Z even when in Sundance. No, I will say that as I live and breathe, I will testify that no cameo that I've ever done in my twenty seven years uh in this business has given me more bang for my buck, yes, than my appearance on this Man show. For there is not no seriously, there's not a day that goes by where some damn gen z warns me that I'm not in the house.
Speaker 5: And I hate it.
Speaker 4: I love you for it, but I hate it.
Speaker 3: I will do I will do a like serious obituary post on Instagram. And there's always some little runt born in like nineteen ninety eight that wants to remind me that anyway, Ladies and gentlemen, please art air country.
Speaker 4: To the show. One episode will haunt you for the career. I'm like that. That makes me proud.
Speaker 3: I you know, I don't even know how you did it, but literally, yes, that that has been the last three to four was it three four years ago?
Speaker 10: Incredible?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I like that.
Speaker 10: I'm haunting you from beyond the grid.
Speaker 3: Somewhere between two to about twenty people they tell me, I'm not that's horrible, It's incredible. Yeah, I don't know the power you have over these people. But you know, so right now you okay, you just informed us at the top of the show that you've been doing press.
Speaker 4: I got a movie coming out on Netflix March twenty six.
Speaker 3: Okay, yes, we never promoted the top.
Speaker 4: So Bill Rell and Tiffany Hattish got a prank movie coming out that we made with the Jackass producers. Wow, my producers all hitting camera. Prank's bad Trip. It's called Next not this Friday, Next Friday.
Speaker 2: No, actually it's already out because this is.
Speaker 3: It's Yes, it's a hit. You've broken records already. Yes, it's it's out already, all right. The thing is that as a human, I don't know you your story that well, but I do want to jump to the end and.
Speaker 5: Just ask.
Speaker 3: The the idea of the The Prank Show, like, how do you how do you even strategize that after like two or three years out of it because you're a pretty recognizable figure and you know in.
Speaker 4: Are you asking how how did I do the fifth season a few years after the fourth season and disguise myself? Well?
Speaker 3: No, no, no, I just meant like, yes, what what's what's the actual rhythm? Because now you're well known, so it's I think it's harder to prank people.
Speaker 10: It's hard to break. It's hard, but not impossible.
Speaker 4: It's uh. For the fifth season of the show, I got rid of all my body hair, so I bicked my head bald, and I got rid of my facial hair, and I waxed my grundle and I gained weight.
Speaker 3: For the people you really committed to.
Speaker 10: This, Yeah, and I gained a bunch of weight. I bleached my teeth.
Speaker 4: I I did a whole body transformation with all that weight gained and the hair gone, I looked like I owned a boatdega in Washington Heights.
Speaker 3: Wait when did when did you shoot.
Speaker 10: The Amsterdam specifically?
Speaker 4: And uh So it was kind of like a almost like a Sasha Baron Cohen approach, where the right disguise will hide your identity, because he was able to do Bruno after he did Borat and then he did boor It again, so like really just kind of hiding in broad daylight. For the movie as well, we had to hide Tiffany Adish and ral Reil's kind of a chameleon. You put on the right outfit and he kind of disappears.
Speaker 10: Everybody.
Speaker 4: We gave her like face tattoos and corn rows and all this stuff.
Speaker 3: And still nobody figured it out.
Speaker 4: People, no, people still, I mean diehard fans are always gonna figure it out. But we just knew what demographic to avoid. And basically we didn't prank anybody under thirty. Everybody we prank in the movie is like forty five plus, like like exhausted moms in the movie.
Speaker 3: Having done this, having done this for you know, for almost a decade in your experience, well one has this ever gone wrong, like extremely wrong where you're like, I'm never doing this again.
Speaker 4: The first day of filming real and I got a knife pulled out on us. That was the very flash prank Rail ever filmed.
Speaker 2: Demo.
Speaker 4: We demo, I guess. I mean the demo was resulted in a knighte for being pulled out. I guess.
Speaker 3: So how far will you take it before you break to let said, uh, prank victim know that you know this is for entertainment.
Speaker 4: I don't want to get murdered, So probably like before murder, before the murder happens.
Speaker 7: So how did can you tell us how that went? Like so he pulled the person pulled a knife out and then yeah, it's.
Speaker 4: In the it's in the movie.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't want I don't want you to give the movie away, but I just went in general, like with your show, like.
Speaker 4: Yeah, sometimes people get upset. Sometimes people get upset and you kind of want to bring them to the point where they're about to commit kill, but then stop before.
Speaker 3: And that's the purpose, that's the whole point of the show, like to get them right to that point.
Speaker 4: I don't want to.
Speaker 10: I mean, it's not about making people angry.
Speaker 4: It's about distorting their reality and blowing their minds. So it's about adding absurdity and surreality into everyday reality.
Speaker 3: I love it. I always wanted to know that.
Speaker 4: So, yeah, the prank that got us in trouble Me and there's a prank. There's a scene in the movie where Relict, my character, Rol's character, we did a bunch of drugs by mistake. We drugged ourselves accidentally, and then we pass out. We fall unconscious, and we wake up in a park and our dicks are stuck together in a Chinese finger trap. So then and it's all hitting camera pranks with real people. So our dicks are stunning the Chinese finger trap.
Speaker 3: We're like, help get us out.
Speaker 4: Of here running. We ran to a golfer for help, and then we went we shot a lot of it in Atlanta and we went to this like real hood barber stop in Atlanta. We went in with our dicks in the Chinese swinger trap and we went to the guy. We're like, excuse me. I was like giving it a guy a haircut like mid fade, and we went to the We go, can we borrow your scissors? Can you cut us out of this thing? It really hurts? And the guy went, oh, hell no, and like reached for his gun. His gun napped his knife and then he chases out of the barbershop with the knife, and me and Rel could barely it's a prosthetic, but it looks real and me and Reel can barely run in the thing, and we're like they snapped Rel like rolled under a parked car. I ran for my life and I looked at my security guy who looked like Blade, like without the story, like Wesley's knife's in the first Blade. So I'm looking at him like a call a bit, call a bit, and he jumped like dragon ball z like and like stop the guy and did like a weird judo chop like got the knife out of his hand, and then we told the guy, We're like, it's a hit him the camera prank, and he was like, oh, y'all are hilarious, Like with no hesitation. He was like, when does this movie come out? Man? And then because of the rel quit the movie. This is the first day of filming. He's like, I got kids. I don't want to be killed. And then he called his agent. He's like, I quit. Eric's gonna get me killed. They call Tiffany Hattis just to vent. He goes, I'm doing this Eric Andre prank movie. He's gonna get me killed. We got a knife pull out on us. I can't handle this ship too, stres well. Tiffany starts dying, laughing. She wasn't in the movie at this point. She hung up with Rel. She called me a few minutes later at killed and I was like, yeah, I don't tell anybody, and she's like, no, fuck that. That shit's hilarious. I live for that ship.
Speaker 5: I want to.
Speaker 4: I was like, and we just and the woman that was supposed to play her role just had dropped out because of a scheduling conflict. So Tiffany's like, I want to be in your movie, and I was like, your wish is my command, And she was incredible in the movie, Like she lives for that prank shit. She loves the danger and all the stuff I love she do. So anyway, that's my story she does.
Speaker 3: How do you how do you prepare? Like is there a script reading? Do you guys do?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 4: So we actualleography, but the show the movie, we uh, you need a story, so we wrote like an outline of the story, and then all the pranks have to have a narrative thread. Like we're literally getting plot points from real people who weren't even aware they were in a movie, So we're like going up to people and putting in these high stress situations but then also mining plot out of them. So there is a script kind of it's like an outline because you have to be able to improvise within that outline because obviously you're working with real people who aren't even aware they're being filmed.
Speaker 7: So it's like even broader than what did they say that curb your enthusiasm?
Speaker 4: Outline is I would Yeah, it's like you know, how how Sasha Baron Cohen or or the Jackass guys kind of do it where you go in with like an idea of premise, but then once you're filming, you don't anything goes because you got real people in it acting with you.
Speaker 5: You don't know what it's gonna be.
Speaker 7: Yeah, you know, Yeah, how many people do you collaborate with you to make these right to create these these situations like and you bring them over from the Eric Andre Show to the movie.
Speaker 4: Yeah, a lot of like we brought you know, we were working with Jeff Tremaine, who directed all the Jackass movies, so he he was our like mentor through the whole process. So we brought in like people that wrote for Jackass. Uh, and Sasha Baron Cohen helped us. So we brought in some of his writers and some people from Punk. So it was like all the Great Prank and all their writers like coming in helping us with all our all our problem solving and and all the issues we were facing. And uh, you know, Rel and Tiffany brought a lot of value. My team for my show brought a lot of value and uh ideas to the table. So it was a it's a big collaborative effort.
Speaker 3: I see, Eric, where were you born?
Speaker 4: Born in Miami, Florida, I grew up in Boker and Tone, Florida. Oh yeah, this.
Speaker 5: Was your entire family.
Speaker 4: My dad's from Haiti and my mom's from Manhattan.
Speaker 5: Were you the only child or no?
Speaker 4: I have an older sister who was born in Queen's.
Speaker 3: Okay, okay, So you said something to me on the set once. Did I hear you correctly? You told me that you went to Berkeley. Yeahl music, and I'm assuming that you meant the Boston one, not the one in the Baby. I think at the time I thought you meant the Bay area. But then I realized if a persons tell me they went to Berkeley, they're obviously trying to tell me, yes, musicianship.
Speaker 4: They're not like, yeah, man, social studies. Yeah, I played upright bass in college. That was my principal bunsterment in college.
Speaker 3: Really yeah, so you you we're considering a career in jazz or like I was.
Speaker 4: I was considering a long, hard career in jazz, which.
Speaker 3: Really so like, can you play Portrait of Tracy?
Speaker 4: Like for me?
Speaker 3: For bass players Jack Opistors or either Team Town or Portrait of Tracy is like what Stairway to Heaven is for guitar players when they entered the guitar center like they have to play it.
Speaker 10: Jacko was electric, so I was always trying.
Speaker 3: Those are electric bass players that I.
Speaker 4: Was always trying to figure out, like mingus bass lines, Charlie Hayden, Scott Lavaro, those those like players you know, Uh Black Saint in the Center, Lady, that album is the most musical and like son Raw had a lot of good bass lines.
Speaker 3: Wait, guys, did I ever let you in on a fact to way that Christian vc Bride dropped on me about uh about Ron Carter? No go, it's weird to say this because he's still living. I don't want I don't want no smoke from Ron Carter. But I'm slowly uh discovering in the jazz world that Ron's uh solo abilities are not that desired in the jazz community, which most jazz guys when they look at what hip hop chooses to sample from it like the number one mystery of all time is like how in the hell? Like according to them, that bass solo is so horrible on that McCoy tyner song that winds up giving us the choices yours baseline for Black Sheep, that that's like the that's the main thing that most jazz bass players bring up to me, like, d no, no, I mean no, no, no, no, no no. He's a legend, but he's a timekeeper. And I didn't I didn't. I didn't know that he was not considered a good soloist. And they're like, well, the evidence is that Miles Davis has never given him a solo on any of his records.
Speaker 4: But the tone of his dates, No, I know, he's faith lines were very sample. I get it.
Speaker 3: So, you know, ron Cardi is probably not.
Speaker 10: Only have we lost the audience, we've lost all your co stars with.
Speaker 5: No no, no, no, no, no. This is Quest Loves Supreme, dude, this.
Speaker 3: Is what we do a style named after him.
Speaker 7: But the whole audience also just went just went and looked up about five songs and some albums.
Speaker 2: But that's Quest Love Supreme.
Speaker 3: So who's your who's your well besides mingas, Like, who was your Wait, what year did you go to Berkeley?
Speaker 4: I graduated to thousand and five?
Speaker 3: Any notable people with you at the time when you were going to school?
Speaker 5: Like who who's notable?
Speaker 10: Now that you at Speranza and Saint Vincent?
Speaker 3: Oh man, Okay, shit, I think, well, my bass player.
Speaker 5: I believe was there at that time.
Speaker 3: If Saint Vincent was there, then Mark Mark Kelly was there, my bass player in the roots.
Speaker 5: He was there at the time.
Speaker 10: I would have been in class with him. There's only like ten of us.
Speaker 5: Do you remember Mark Kelly? Maybe Mark just mad.
Speaker 4: I don't remember most of college.
Speaker 5: It's all a blur. It is all a blur.
Speaker 7: That's funny. I was going to ask you when did life become a blur? Because we didn't we didn't talk about a little earlier in life, but not for I was like, I wonder what kind of kid.
Speaker 2: Eric was like, were you Ah?
Speaker 4: Yeah, that was bad. I was so hyper. I was real because my sister was so calm and sweet, docile, and my mom was like, yeah, motherhood's easy.
Speaker 10: I'm gonna have one more kid. And then I was a nightmare.
Speaker 5: Was what happened? Fucking disaster? Second child?
Speaker 7: Man?
Speaker 5: Fuck all that you stopped seeing that?
Speaker 4: Bill?
Speaker 3: Hey, you when this is all over and you beat my second child?
Speaker 2: Wait?
Speaker 3: Wait, is going to be twenty four years old asking us for the master uh reels of all these episodes. She's gonna be scarred regardless who cares well wait.
Speaker 7: But here's the thing, though, I bet you got it better, because what's that? What's the Eric Andre disaster? As a kid, Like, what kind of would do you mean when you say like disaster?
Speaker 4: I was just always getting detentions and suspended. I got good grades. I got like you know, a's and b's, but I was not well behaved in class. I was very hyper, so like, but you didn't set the house on fire or anything, right, Nah, But you know I got suspended from mooning my friends.
Speaker 10: I got suspended for going to school barefoot.
Speaker 4: I got I like would like back my head through that. Remember that, like the fire hose thing where you had to like only break break in case of emergency, case of emergency, I would I would break those.
Speaker 3: I would like bust my head through them all the time, basically just prepare them for what you do now.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Like I've just been on an amateur level not getting paid for it.
Speaker 10: Like fucking.
Speaker 4: I was just like any way to get in trouble in high school. I was like, yes, that's how that's how I'll get in trouble today.
Speaker 2: Dream that's dope.
Speaker 3: Have Like what if you're And this was in high school, elementary and high school.
Speaker 10: Yeah, it got worse.
Speaker 4: As I got older, definitely, like when hormones kicked in in middle school and I knew I could get the pretty girl's attention by acting out and misbehaving. Then it was all over. Then it was put my head through glass and just put a lighter up to the getting a little like sprinkler insistent.
Speaker 3: I would I would think that, you know, a bassilo could work that, like you being in a band would have worked that trick out, not like, no, every band dared devil my way into your heart.
Speaker 4: Yeah, no, every band I was in sucked, so I had to I had to use different tactics to get attention.
Speaker 3: After you graduated, uh, Berkeley, what what started your I guess your full commitment into comedy.
Speaker 4: I kind of retired from music on the same day I graduated from Berkeley. I was like, well, that's that's no future for me. And then I started doing comedy as I was finishing college in Boston, and I just moved to New York City right afterwards, and uh just continue doing like stand up. I mean it was humble beginnings. I was just doing chicken shit open mics for a decade before anybody paid attention or I got any money for it?
Speaker 10: But oh wow, so.
Speaker 3: You pounded the pavement mostly in New York City for your comedy chops. Yeah, okay, so can you Besides uh, I guess Wyatt, who I guess you could sort of say he has one foot in like alt comedy and traditional comedy. Can you explain not the parameters, but just like how New York City operates as a comedy testing ground, Like is Brooklyn strictly just for alternative comedy? And what does that really encompass? I don't know, and it's never I've never liked the.
Speaker 10: Terms too, like neo soul.
Speaker 3: It's like neo soul, like neo soul. Yeah, but I mean you do agree that. I mean, at least from my observation, like I would think that the the the mecca or the epicenter would be the comedy seller like, because the thing is, comedians will have to work out their materials somewhere, so you usually like the Seinfelds and the and the Hearts and the Rocks and whoever is the name it like, they will work out at the comedy celler. Yet you know, when I go sort of north of twenty third Street, then usually that's where I'll see. I mean, I wouldn't know a consistent Vegas name now, but like whoever the I'm really dating myself with this reference. The David Brenner of Whoever Now is like that Vegas comedian usually works out what.
Speaker 4: You're talking about. It like you're talking about the difference like a mainstream or an alternative. You know, I think you can get in a rut if you only play show you want to. You don't want to get in a comfort You want to stay out of your comfort zone when you just stand up, so you don't want to do any crowd that's already like you don't even get used to only performing for crowds that are already on your side.
Speaker 10: You want to kind of go and play.
Speaker 4: For crowds that don't know you or are more objective. That's how you sustain your comedy muscles. Where would you work out some of those alternative rooms a little too inside jokey.
Speaker 10: You want to really have to prove.
Speaker 4: Yourself every time because then by the time you film your special, your materials is like flawless. You perform for every cross section of America and you know, even international audiences.
Speaker 3: Right, So where would where would you work out when you were working on your chaps?
Speaker 4: I was, I hit the road I did. I did eighty based another number eighty seven shows in forty nine cities internationally actually and internationally.
Speaker 10: Something like that in a year in two nineteen.
Speaker 4: So then I take my special at the end of twenty nineteen and aired it twenty on Netflix.
Speaker 5: But uh.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it was like I tried to do every city in America and a bunch of cities.
Speaker 3: Broad about your your your stand up, your special, which I love, by the way, Like I thought that shit was brilliant, man, Like, no, no bullshit.
Speaker 5: The last bit that you do the fucking FaceTime.
Speaker 4: Dude, dude, and that was incredible. How do you set that up? Like that was like pennies from Evans. She like brought up weed. She brought up like different topics that I discussed. I mean, I did it. I filmed it a few times with a few different moms. We filmed two shows, and each show I did like two or three moms per show until we got that mom and she was clearly the best one. But yeah, she was amazing. She was giving me your credit card information and ship. She was fucking wild.
Speaker 3: Went through that before. I thought there was like a one time only No. I did it every night on tour. I would pray a mom at the end of my that was always my closer on tour.
Speaker 4: So I had that bit down.
Speaker 10: To a science, even though it's like a prank essentially, you.
Speaker 2: Know, was of them.
Speaker 4: There was. There were some moms on tour that were fucking wild, saying heinous shit and just like no filter. She was up there. But like there was definitely some lightning in the bottle. Lightning in the bottle moms, Like in Oakland we had the crazy mom doing drugs on camera. There's one mom I was like in a possum ridge Arkansas or somewhere real like backwoods kind of place in the mom and the dad picked up and just like stared at me, like they were very like maca adjacent, just like staring at violence. And I'm fucking with him. I'm like, send me twenty thousand bitcoin if you want to see your son alive again. Dad was like shirtless and he looked like he was on a like a real life version of King of the Hill. Like it was just like stone silence. But those were just like lightning in a bottle. Performance, isn't it?
Speaker 7: So wait, so that means that you did that other bit. I'm sorry, but the other bit did you do when you go to the audience and ask them have they seen them their parents have sex or whatever?
Speaker 4: Oh? That that that that that I did, like a version of without the fake parents on stage. I would just like ask to do audience participation stuff, but I'm not the for the special we cast to I was like, yeah, how.
Speaker 2: Much does that get paid? Pay for sixty?
Speaker 4: I mean everything I put out the last year and a half has been during quarantine, so I'm like, I haven't gotten any like personal feedback. I haven't interacted with anybody, So I'm like, did anybody watch a special?
Speaker 10: Did anybody?
Speaker 4: I'm only like sucked into the internet, but like it doesn't feel real because I've just been like putting stuff out.
Speaker 8: No, so let me ask.
Speaker 7: You were talking about the stand up then me, I'm sorry one more question because in the beginning, the first thing you kind of talk about like you hit like the coke the meth hard, and it was funny because I was like, damn, I know, I'm progressive as fuck, but this is like I was like, is this.
Speaker 2: The new normal?
Speaker 7: Where we are like normalizing the fuck out of a meth and coke like this? It was just it was ill to me, and I was like, I can't wait to talk to you about it because I was like, a.
Speaker 2: Am I getting old?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 10: No, okay, you gotta understand.
Speaker 4: I want to How do I say this out sign and preaching all drugs were legal until nineteen fourteen? Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, gosh, where do I begin? Also, first of all, if we did criminalize all drugs, would anybody on this zoom like go out and smoke, crack and shoot? Absolutely not.
Speaker 5: Hell, it was Megal nod.
Speaker 10: Well, maybe.
Speaker 4: Jack Daniels is legal, right, would even tonight go to write a buy seventy bottles of Jack Daniel and just drink them top to bottom? Right? Because we wouldn't feel good. We exercise common sense. The War on drugs the best of being I saw was The War on drugs is my favorite war because drugs won Clearlys. Look, I think there's a difference between drug use and drug abuse. I think we've been fed so much propaganda by our government, and the DEA was only put in place by Nixon. It's all just a way to arrest brown and black people fill overcrowd our prisons with brown and black bodies. White people and drug Black people do drugs at the same rate. Black people are arrested five times as much as any.
Speaker 10: Suburban white kid.
Speaker 4: It's all based on the War on drugs, is all based on classism, racism, and it always has been the opium wars. And so, okay, we're getting in nineteen fourteen. How do I not turn this into a ted talk dude, Let's go, let's go. Okay, the less a.
Speaker 3: Mere talks, the better the show go. Absolutely shut the fuck up, bill.
Speaker 5: Okay.
Speaker 4: Basically, physically all drug propaganda that was really repped up with Nixon and Reagan, all anti drug propatganda, Like there was a prohibition on.
Speaker 10: Alcohol and that failed miserably.
Speaker 4: The prohibition on drugs that's about one hundred and six years old is the same exact thing. It's all based on control. It has nothing to do with your safety. I mean, more people die from motorcycle accidents than ecstasy.
Speaker 10: Very few people die from ecstasy.
Speaker 4: No one's died from marijuana, no one's died from LSD or or silly yeah rooms. So the government doesn't give a fuck about your safety, and if they're pretending they give a fuck about your.
Speaker 10: Safety, it's it's it's make believe.
Speaker 4: Clearly guns are legal and marijuana is illegal federally, So.
Speaker 11: God yeah, I think basically, I just realized that the immigrants coming to America come out of the West Coast, Chinese immigrants, and Chinese immigrants brought a lot of opium to America.
Speaker 4: So a lot of politicians started running against putting a prohibition on opium. I wish there was a problem with opium, and it is addictive, but part of it was a xenophobic wife.
Speaker 5: Yeah, wife wouldn't get no money off this year.
Speaker 10: Yes, it's all about money and control.
Speaker 4: So Chinese people were bringing in opium and profiting from opium, and some of the earliest anti drug prohibition policies were anti Chinese. Marijuana was associated as a Mexican drug. Marijuana prohibition was associated was was Mexican xenophobia.
Speaker 10: And then in the eighties there was.
Speaker 4: Some statistic it was like five grams of crack, what is the same jail time as fifty grams of cocaine. Guess who was smoking crack in the eighties and guess who was doing cocaine suburban white not black people in the inner city. So whenever there's a popular inner city drug that black people or poor people, even crystal meth, crystal meths associated with your losing your teeth, you got scabs.
Speaker 2: On your days, that's not true.
Speaker 4: But adderall done by suburban white teenagers for their SATs, that's fine. However, methanphetamine and adderall, which is amphetamine, is one molecule different. It's essentially the same drug piece that same as.
Speaker 3: No, it's the same thing as uh like nah, that's facts because it's the same thing as like like heroin and all these like hydro codone and all the ship the prescription. So but my son had to get his wisdom teeth pulled and they prescribed him hydra cotone. I was like, yo, he ain't taking this ship like he hyperprofen, hyperprofen.
Speaker 4: He can do.
Speaker 3: Tolerdo You'll be cool like like giving the fifteen year old fucking like are you shitting me?
Speaker 4: Like nah, yeah, yeah, So damn PCP aka angel does is a disassociative. Ketamine is a disassociative. Poor people, black people do angel does. So it's illegal. But now there's ketamine clinics because suburban white moms are are doing ketamine for depression. Uh all yeah, hydro codone and all opiate's. It's like there's a Chris Rock joke. The government doesn't want you to do your drugs.
Speaker 3: The government the drugs drugs, and they're doing that ship now because that's the next move that like we I think we being legal.
Speaker 5: That's a foregone coule. I mean that's coming.
Speaker 3: The next ship they're moving into is shrooms and like LSD because they're using that to treat shit like bipolar disorder and all kind of like like OCD, like you know, any kind they're doing that shit now, that anxiety, the whole nine.
Speaker 5: That's the next shit.
Speaker 4: So I guess that's my point. There is therapeutic value to so many drugs that the DEA has made illegal, and the war on drugs has only helped two groups, the drug cartels in Central and South America that are violent and the DEA.
Speaker 10: Everybody else suffers.
Speaker 4: We all have a natural inclination to to reach altered states. Caffeine is a drug. Nicotine is a drug. Alcohol is a drug.
Speaker 10: Legal drugs. Alcohol is way more addictive and corrosive.
Speaker 4: Than marijuana or any psychedelics. Nicotine is way more addictive than any drug, more addictive than heroin and cocaine, but it's legal, so there's no rhyme or reason to it. The majority of people that use drugs just use it for recreation and to achieve an altered state, for whatever, for social bonding, for creativity. The majority of us don't get a addicted to these drugs, even heroin users. They say eighty percent of people that have tried heroin aren't addicted, only twenty percent. So what we do in this country, and what we did with alcohol prohibition, which failed miserably, is we penalize everyone for like a small select few that are addicted. Drug abuse is an issue, and I'm not saying we shouldn't do drugs responsibly, But just like skiing, you can die skiing responsibly, you won't ski into a triofully. If you ride a motorcycle responsibly, if you drive a car responsibly, you won't die. You can fall in front of the subway train for being reckless and die.
Speaker 10: So's it's about I don't know, no, you know.
Speaker 2: You gave it to me.
Speaker 7: I knew you was going is exactly why I asked you because I knew you was gonna come back.
Speaker 4: I'm sorry I went on such a dietary. But no, off the end of the day, we are the rabbit hole Central. We do one hundred years of prohibition and all the propaganda that came with it. And I also think part of the reason drugs are dangerous is because they are illegal and they're not regulated, and that means they're made in the street and they're cut with all kinds of garbage.
Speaker 10: But if they were legal and regulated, then.
Speaker 5: There was a uniform process educate.
Speaker 4: People about the proper way to take them and enjoy them and avoid the dangerous ways of organic.
Speaker 3: Okay, that's what I was gonna That's what I was going to ask. Is I hear from people that, Okay, well these are natural and they come from the earth, so you can use these, but these over here are chemically made and those are bad.
Speaker 5: So I mean, is there really truly a difference or.
Speaker 4: Well, I mean everything kind of comes from the earth, like LSD is chemically made, but it's based off a mold, a bread mold ergot I think it's called. It's like a mold that is on like wheat and Barley. Uh, you know, cocaine, I would probably. I've done cocaine a few times in my life. It's not my favorite drug. I hate putting stuff up my nose. It tastes and it's cut with all kinds of garbage. But if someone had a coca plant from Columbia or Peru and they want him to make me a coca tea, I'd be open to that because it'd probably just be the same effect as coffee. You can you can overdose on caffeine toof that's Caffeine is the most pop popular psychoactive drug worldwide. They say ninety percent of adults worldwide have tea your coffee in their in their life and it is a drug, and it is it can't kill you.
Speaker 5: Is that true, Steve, I'm still here, baby, Steve at Sugar Steve is I think science experiment health.
Speaker 3: Yeah, his blood has at least I mean the amount of of of.
Speaker 5: Caffeine coffee has a little blood cafe.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, it's a big I'm a big coffee guy, but I've had insomnia lately. I think I I love coffee, but I'm trying to dial back my caffeine intake.
Speaker 2: So you don't smoke.
Speaker 3: Are you a like first thing in the morning, must have coffee person.
Speaker 4: I'm the first thing in the morning, must have coffee person. But I don't go into the afternoon. But I've been like, I don't even smoke weed, really, but I've been smoking a lot of weed just to get to sleep. And I've been eating gummies and and I usually don't do edibles, and but I don't want to like have to take I rather smoke weed to get to sleep, then take like ben a drill or like a melton anything like even like that over the counter stuff. I'd rather like use a natural like an indica.
Speaker 5: In the couch in the counter and stay in the couch. Yeah, I'm I'm neurotic. I just can't.
Speaker 4: I'm like, I don't know quarantines getting to me. I'm turning into Jack Nicholson in the Shining. I'm just like staring at the window watching collect and amaze.
Speaker 3: Well, yeah, how how did you spend the the last year? Because if I recall correctly, every April or every March you asked me to participate in your you were born in March or April, like your birthdays around this time, right, And I know that your world famous for these these wild, crazy birthday parties that one these days I'm gonna make it to like I kind of regret it not growing up in the era of the NWA Pool Party that I would imagine that your party rivals whatever I thought was happening at the NWA house.
Speaker 4: Like yeah, I mean I'm flattered by that. That is high praise.
Speaker 3: Did you throw one last year?
Speaker 4: Despite the one last year got shut down because of COVID. Okay, it was at the Palladium. We had like a full it was gonna be the one, it was gonna be the showstopper, and it got We're talking about doing a new one at now Wolf you know Wolf look up meow Wolf and just.
Speaker 5: For free to google this all right.
Speaker 4: So they're like an artist collective in Santa Fe, New Mexican. They they built these crazy, big, beautiful installations like this crazy it's like Peeby's Playhouse. But they just opened a new one in Las Vegas called Omega mart And like George R. R. Martin, the guy that created he's like an investor in the company now. And like so they're I don't know how to describe them. They're like just this like art experiment, the most successful art experiment like that's been pulled off in the twenty first century. But anyway, I'm gonna throw my next birthday at me wolf hopefully.
Speaker 3: What was the wildest thing that's happened at your I used to live in.
Speaker 4: A chicken shit apartment in Hollywood when I first moved to La like a really small studio apartment, and I used to throw them there and we would like huff ether and get a bunch of camels and zebras and pack them, throw firecrackers at everybody, and my neighbor would get pissed at us and throw glass bottles. And we had like a stripper come by one time, and she had a house arrest anklet, and like I would like, I would hire like a bunch of mall Santa clauses and clowns. It would pack everybody in my little tiny studio apartment and we'd sprawl out into the street in the parking lot.
Speaker 2: And that sounds so cod nasty, Oh yeah, it was.
Speaker 10: It was a different time, different era.
Speaker 3: I gotta find I gotta find out has any of your pranks or any of your parties or any of your antics ever got you wound up in La County jail.
Speaker 4: Yeah, San Bernardino County Jail. Actually, uh, I pranked the mayor of Rancho Cucamonga, which is a city out here, And uh, I did a prank at a town hall meeting and I got arrested and I and the cop asked me what my name was, and I told him it was John Coltran and then.
Speaker 10: And that that was another penalty.
Speaker 4: I didn't know.
Speaker 10: You're not allowed to do. You're not allowed to went to jail.
Speaker 4: I had disturbing the piece and uh, whatever you're telling, your telling a cop your name is John Coltrane, whatever that whatever that misdemeanor.
Speaker 3: Was, What are you in for in personally, John colt.
Speaker 7: I've had a kind of personal joke with seeing as though you share with the world, it should be that personal. Have you ever had any penal injuries from any of the things that you've got.
Speaker 4: You know, injuries.
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 4: I put my hand through a glass window and got stitches. This year's John Cena threw me through a bookshelf and I got a concussion.
Speaker 10: Uh, doctor, oh no, Peano fake penile injuries.
Speaker 4: The China.
Speaker 5: I love that comes with the hand signal.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm still debating on whether or not that's going to be the promo clip or not.
Speaker 8: I appreciate your physical sacrifice.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you get old.
Speaker 2: Thing's gonna hurt.
Speaker 5: I was gonna I was gonna ask you, man, what is your relationship?
Speaker 3: Your your youre talking about you both your friendship and your creative kind of partnership with Hannibal bursts.
Speaker 5: Because y'all are just I've never met me, you have never met but y'all are just different.
Speaker 4: He's not on season five, right, he quit the show? Yeah? Yeah, he left, uh season five, I mean he left on camera, so he did a proper dismount. But uh, wow over man, oh man, wow amicable. But the show's not over. No. You know, we did the show together in a in an abandoned bodega and Brooke Glynn. That was the first version of the show pre Adult Swim, when I was just making the show on my own dime. So he's been with the show since the beginning. And then we took such a big hiatus to make the movie. We took four years off to make between season four and five at the Eric Andrey Show to make the movie.
Speaker 10: That coming back, Damn, I think them.
Speaker 4: I don't know. He was just like I'm done, and I was like, please at least come by the show and quit on camera. So it's a proper I don't want people to think we had a falling out, but it's the perk. But it was. He was just great on the show because he's just polar opposite in energy. Chris Rock had the best quote. He goes, the reason your show works is because there's no two black guys on earth that have less in common than you and Hannibal Bird comedy, but also Hannibal kind of like he seemed like the voice the reasons sometimes. So when I was being crazy to the guests on the show and they would like look to Hannibal for some relief, he's equally crazy. He's just low energy, so they would like look to him for something help me, And then he would say something just as mind blowing and you know, psychotic, and then maybe I got ship.
Speaker 3: I'm try who will play your psyechic or.
Speaker 4: So we had a few different psyecics. We had a very funny comedian Felipe A. S Barza.
Speaker 10: We had Oscar nominee Lakeith Stanfield.
Speaker 5: As uh really, oh yeah.
Speaker 4: This past season yeah, and we had uh, we cloned Hannibal a few of the episodes. We had Blannable, which was his like, so yeah, good, we had a good We had a good revolving door of co host this past season.
Speaker 3: I gotta say that when I did the show and I had to do something with vomit, I didn't realize, so I guess the I didn't realize that. So the husband and wife team come to me with these assortment of cereals and they ask.
Speaker 5: No, but it was like they.
Speaker 3: They pushed the cart with all every variety of cereal on it, and they're like, what's your favorite cereal? And I was just like, well, I like Golden Grams and they're like, okay, well that's going to be I didn't realize that.
Speaker 4: The vomit.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the vomit you see on television is basically just soggy cereal.
Speaker 4: Yeah, oatmeal, pea soup with carrots. Depends on what what I'm in the mood to throw up.
Speaker 3: Yeah. So yeah, the amount of time that you guys dedicate to vomit on that show, a lot of vomit.
Speaker 4: We got not to mention the intro. That has to be painful, yo, it's painful that I get hurt a lot. Yeah, we figured out how to do it the right way. I used to use no crash pads, nothing, cement.
Speaker 3: You were just yeah, you would just eat, you would just freaking go for it. And I was like, wait, there's really not a stunt double here too.
Speaker 4: I was dumb. I was dumb.
Speaker 3: I know that of course, uh with with the Jackass Show and also with uh Sasha that you know, these these level prank shows have always been here, But I for one, was just under the impression that like black people really warn't in that level of pranking, that you know, not to drag.
Speaker 4: Rell into it, into it. He was he gonna hate it, and he's like, dude, because he had so much PTSD from that first day. But actually Tiffany was like born to do it. She loved the more dangerous prank was, the more she was like, let's fucking go. That's That's what I'm excited about the movie. It's like kind of the first black prank cast, right. I mean there's some there's there's some funny black comedians. I'm punked, but not really like as far as the movie goes, not in this level where it's like the leads are like black leads, pranky people. It's stressful.
Speaker 3: If I re call, wasn't my man also on your show? What was the old boy that did his version of that on.
Speaker 5: BT fast Hits Hits on the Street.
Speaker 3: I think, yeah, Hits Hits from the Street. Was was he not on your show? At one point was like who? And you answer my question like a goddamn yeah.
Speaker 4: He was the only punks but yeah, oh yeah, he's really funny.
Speaker 3: Okay, I'm sorry forgive me. He graduated. I knew he graduated to another show.
Speaker 2: There.
Speaker 7: He used to work up against the Wall on on Georgia Avenue right by Howard University, up against the Wall.
Speaker 10: I will say that Method Man and Redman had a prank show. They did.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they did Hot second for a Hot second, watchable, funny under it.
Speaker 3: They had the one episode. They had the episode where they pranked Ludicrous where they had him wrap over like this shitty beat but Luther killed the beat though, Like that's what this ship was funny? Yeah, like it was some bullshit. It was like it was some trash beating. They actually had Kevin Lowles on it. They was like, yo, this is Kevin you need to get to the studio whatever. So he comes and it's just trash ass beat and he started rapping and then they take it up and they're like, okay, so Luda do the same verse, but make like a frog sound and like he did the ribbon and then was lapping with it and he was going with it, and the ship was actually sounding way better than it probably should have. Wait year, what year was that? Because I'm curious as to what a trash beat means in hip hop?
Speaker 4: Really?
Speaker 3: First, yeah, this had this was like two o two three something like that around the time, back while he still.
Speaker 5: Had standards in hip hop.
Speaker 3: Okay, because I was about to say, like, because someone plays me a trash beat now and I'm like, oh, that's going to be a hit. You know this shit could work, right.
Speaker 7: But I'm sure it's easier to prank black celebrities and black folks because you know, you never know what we'll do. Don't know, Like he's the nine thing. It would have been wrong if it was. If it wasn't Eric Andre and real that probably that ship would have been I don't think.
Speaker 2: I don't think it.
Speaker 5: Would fast one day.
Speaker 3: Is there anything that's off the table for you.
Speaker 4: No, I don't know. You gotta like I think there's good bad taste and bad bad taste. It's like you're trying to make things go wrong, but in the right way, if that makes any sense.
Speaker 3: So every but in the world of comedy, even that which is deemed unthinkable or undoable sort of gets embraced by someone's dark side.
Speaker 5: Correct.
Speaker 3: Well, just in terms of things that are taboo in comedy, usually get you know, spoken about, like death or things that are tragic or whatnot.
Speaker 4: Right, Well, yeah, I mean, you know the famous saying comedy is strategy plus time. It's like you're mining for things that are taboo to talk about, because that's the high wire act of comedy, you know what I mean, You're looking for the high stakes topic, or at least I.
Speaker 10: Am and the comedian's eye I grew up admiring.
Speaker 4: Are you know, like Richard Pryor and George Carlin and Chris Rock and Chappelle? Did I answer your question?
Speaker 5: I think he did. Just kicked in.
Speaker 3: Good job, dude.
Speaker 4: All right.
Speaker 3: So, the the the age of mainstream celebrities having their only fans accounts is you know, now popping up normal. What was your decision behind your only fans.
Speaker 4: I wanted to make money off my feet picks wearing a quarantine man supplemental income sugar Steve style.
Speaker 3: There's a sound bite, Steve. Well, wait, okay, you're I'm not gonna lie like you're the only person I know?
Speaker 4: Is it just really is just oh it's everything depends on how much you tip.
Speaker 3: Oh well you've.
Speaker 5: Done live only fans?
Speaker 3: Yes, oh god, okay, so what happens when we come to our only fans? Hold on?
Speaker 10: Say it again, not only fans?
Speaker 4: You know what that is? A blumpkin?
Speaker 7: No?
Speaker 2: What's I don't know?
Speaker 4: What is up? Google image?
Speaker 5: Doing it right now?
Speaker 3: Do I want to get a virus?
Speaker 4: And you don't want to do it? You don't want to do it?
Speaker 5: No, I don't want to do it.
Speaker 4: Don't do it. Definitely don't do it. Don't look up an Alabama hockey mask either, trust me, because that's why.
Speaker 5: Don't do it. It'll scar you for life.
Speaker 2: You will know what he does only fans. It costs too much.
Speaker 4: I need You don't want to look up a bumpkin or or Alabama hockey?
Speaker 3: Can you explain it to three words?
Speaker 4: Oh? Man?
Speaker 3: The two girls and one again, say it again, two chick?
Speaker 5: Yeah there, I don't know.
Speaker 3: I literally just said that. Really, I was like, is this two chicks and one cup again?
Speaker 4: Yep?
Speaker 8: You know, part of some like weird reddit group, Like how do you keep up them?
Speaker 2: All?
Speaker 4: This ship? I mean once I, once I opened the OnlyFans door, there was no looking back.
Speaker 3: Can one seriously make a living monetizing off their only fans?
Speaker 10: Big time?
Speaker 4: Big time.
Speaker 10: Amount of I made off, Like just the kickoff intro.
Speaker 4: I was like, they basically figured out their London company there worth eight hundred million dollars and they were only four years old and they kicked off. They just figured out a way for all like the softcore porn thirst trap and evinced. They figured out how to monetize that in like the simplest way. It's like, hey, check out this sexy first trappie kind of picture. You want to see more? Go over to my only fans and you're like okay, And it's like like three dollars all the way up to whatever, a thousand dollars for either like a direct message back. It's basically like modern day phone sex.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, I'm thinking about it. I'm hearing.
Speaker 5: I mean, I remember that.
Speaker 10: Yeah, so if you want some feet picks, you got to tip me three four dollars.
Speaker 5: Wait, you monetize feed picks? That's heavy.
Speaker 3: Have you least broken the five digit, the five digit or six digit arena as far as uh monetizing off of this?
Speaker 10: You know, quest love, it's not polite their money.
Speaker 4: We're not all Grammy Award winning virtuoso drummer. You hit me with the David Letterman Eddie Mullers OnlyFans dot com slash Eric Andre.
Speaker 10: There you go, founding the pavement, the Internet pavement.
Speaker 4: Okay, we can't just pound around with Jimmy Fallon and all kinds of a list celebrities.
Speaker 3: Wait a minute, speaking of which, I wasn't going to ask this, but I do have to ask this. Uh did it irk you at all? With the way that Chance the rapper was sort of egging you on about your relationship at the time with Rosario.
Speaker 4: What the fuck?
Speaker 3: I'll tell you prove this ship because he guys did a prom photo, right, you got.
Speaker 4: That motherfucker? I asked him.
Speaker 10: I love him, by the way, so I'm talking shit with love, right, I can't.
Speaker 4: Remember I asked him a couple of things I DMed him a couple like hey, not even like a favor, just like hey, stopped by. Never would respond once. And then when I was dating Rozario was like, Chance doesn't believe that we're dating. He thinks you're doing a prank. So I was like.
Speaker 5: When I saw it, I was like, that's fair, that's fair.
Speaker 3: I'm finally tell in the movie star from the poster.
Speaker 4: Too, and.
Speaker 12: I tweeted him back. I was like, yeah, look, this isn't photoshop. Look, but he wrote back right away He's like, oh no, I don't know. I'm just saying oh. And I was like, oh, all of a sudden, your phone works.
Speaker 10: Personally.
Speaker 3: But man, he's been on your show before. Yeah, he was great on the show.
Speaker 4: Yeah. And I just saw him not too long ago backstage the Lion King premiere. I was like talking, I was talking to him and then I felt the tap on my shoulder and I turned around and it was Beyonce and I was like oh, and she was like high next to meet you, I was like, And then I turned back the Chance. I was like, fuck, did I just blow it with Beyonce? Was that cool? He's like, no, you were cool, you were cool, And I turned my left and I asked this other guy, go, I just fucked that up? And I cool? Was that cool? And I was like, no, you were cool? And I looked up it as jay Z I was like, oh cool. I was like no, and I was like, turn back to Beyonce. I was like, fuck, did I just blow it with jay Z? I just I was like.
Speaker 3: Those two, those two are like the modern day walking lottery ticket.
Speaker 10: There the they're they're the King and Queen, they're the royal family.
Speaker 5: They are What was how long did that process?
Speaker 4: The new royal family? New royal family.
Speaker 2: Replaced the old the only ones I recognized?
Speaker 5: How how long did that process take to do?
Speaker 7: Uh?
Speaker 5: With the Lion King? Like how did you how did you even get five minutes?
Speaker 4: Huh? Really? Yeah, voice over, I know before you go in you go and you're like see in three years. Yep.
Speaker 3: That about sums it up. That sounds awesome. Okay, Uh, can you talk about your your BARF project? No?
Speaker 10: Why I'm not associated with whoever that is.
Speaker 4: I didn't.
Speaker 10: I didn't technically clear any sample, so.
Speaker 3: You don't know what I'm talking about. When I mean, okay, I get it.
Speaker 4: I know what you're talking about, but I also know what violating intellectual property.
Speaker 5: But when things are under the radar, I doubt you know, no, I know, I know.
Speaker 10: I know, I know.
Speaker 2: But you just asked what do you think about the project of me or you just.
Speaker 4: What do I think about it?
Speaker 10: I think whoever that person is was very cool, very cool, and uh do.
Speaker 4: You recommend that they live? How do how do any how do you get away with? Do you just sample and hope that you come and get me? That's that's the name of it, So you just hope like it? Marquis, I hope Gilberto Sullivan doesn't suit me.
Speaker 3: I think I think the majority of the time people do it sort of thinking that it's going to be under the radar.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but you know, like.
Speaker 3: YouTube and fucking you sample who sample is? Nothing's under the radar now every everybody's got damn. Even then you have to look like, you know, like if it weren't for it weren't for me watching MTV, I would you know that I wouldn't have known. My parents would have never known about nothing but a g thing or any of that ship, you know what I'm saying. Like someone younger, it's always like a nephew or a kid. It's like, oh, that's mom and dad or uncle something.
Speaker 4: But that's what that's also, that's what I heard, Like, if you sample a Marvin Gaye song or Jimmy Henry, if you sample somebody who's a state controls the rights right the artist artist, then it's extra trouble because it's just the kids and the grandkids looking to make a buck versus the original artist.
Speaker 5: So there is artist.
Speaker 4: How there are creative ways or any any of these producers got away with so much sampling.
Speaker 3: A lot of it is chopping. I'll admit that. In the in the Dilla and the j Dilla situation now with the Tennessee c estate and speak, but that's in the fucking Netflix special, it was like, what do you expect?
Speaker 4: What happened?
Speaker 3: Well, okay, yeah, so uh Chappelle used working on it from works. Yeah as his intro of which you know, none, none of which that's been released from J Dilla's estate was ever meant for public consumption, like he just he would just make beat tapes. But of course once he passed away, then these beat tapes became folkalore and next thing you know, they became album releases. And so I mean as a result, because he was such a niche cult figure artist, it was just like it it only became a thing to those that knew of J Dilla. But trying to so ten CC actually, well, Gottleian Cream, the guys that behind ten CC, they sold I believe they sold a lot of their publishing, like in the early aughts. So now a new firm owns the publishing rights, and I guess they're kind of on that.
Speaker 5: Litigious Uh I won't say godly tough City Records. Uh, it's the president guy.
Speaker 10: It's it's the company.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so that's what they're doing, which you know, I try to actually meddle. And when I thought it was the ten CC guys, I wrote a letter and was just like, look, this is a guy who was making art and da da da da, and you know, you suing him and you know it's not going to make solve any of this. And I tried, but they were like, oh, we don't own the publisher do that anymore. So that was a wasted email that you did.
Speaker 4: That.
Speaker 3: Uh yeah, I'm I'm I'm a little overzealous when it comes to J Dilla's legacy.
Speaker 4: So yeah, just trying to make sure that perspect.
Speaker 3: You Yo, So, how how have you been? I will probably say that comedians have probably had it the hardest of all the creatives as far as how they spent their their last year trying to maintain creativity, especially when you don't have no one to work out in front of. Have you figured out how to pivot or how to still maintain your foot in the comedy world, like do you just write more movies, more TV shows or.
Speaker 4: I was fortunate enough to like be coming to the end of a bunch of projects when when it started, I had like everything in the can. I was able to edit Eric Andre Show from Home, I had delivered the stand up special, the movie was already delivered and ready to go. So I had like a bunch of stuff ready to go in the chamber. Fortunately I didn't have to like shut down production or shut down a tour. I was at like the end of all these various projects. So I've just been writing and just been doing a ton of writing I don't know, and trying to like not trying to like embrace this time. I think this time is an exercise in patience, and this is kind of like a reset button the I think we need to just like spiritually hit the pause button, reassess our existence as a.
Speaker 5: Because we'll never get time like this again in our lifetime. We'll never get period.
Speaker 4: As adults gonna be able to get this like little pause button. So I'm trying to look at the positive aspects of that and just like doing hobbies, cooking, more, reading, more, catching up on TV shows.
Speaker 10: I wanted to watch. I'm trying to like embrace it a little bit.
Speaker 4: It's just showing off your sexy feet, showing off.
Speaker 3: What do you what do you watch? I would I would imagine that a person like yourself, in the ways that you express your creativity, that like quote unquote regular shows would seem like mundane and boring to you.
Speaker 10: But like, what do you watching?
Speaker 4: Done? Well? I just started catching up on all the serialized dramas I never I'm watching the Sopranos and The Wire and Game of Thrones. I never got around any of those shows because it was just so much of a commitment, right got order and all that shit. I have to I have eighty D So now I'm trying to.
Speaker 3: So as a wire Newby, As a wire Newby, is it anti climactic now that everyone's like fetishized the ship out of this show. No, had a slow start, Like I was like, what is it get Season two is weird?
Speaker 4: We real fane?
Speaker 5: Season two?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I heard season two controversion, but I just started season two. But once I get to season three and beyond. Also, every single show on Earth, whether it's a television show or whether it's a comedy or drama, the first two seasons don't really count. It really takes three to four to find your voice, to find its stride, even like Seinfeld, even shows that like were these mega mega hits. If you watch the first two seasons of like even the Simpsons, you're like, what the fuck show is it?
Speaker 5: This is a it's different worlds, Like, yeah, well it was weird.
Speaker 3: You said that because I thought I thought Cosby hit his stride in the second season and then slowly let the air out three to four.
Speaker 4: No, No, yeah, that was the most controversial thing about that guy. Uh that's what a lot of people when they bring him up, that's what they talk about.
Speaker 3: This that's the first thing they say, Okay, I'm sorry, I meant the Huxtable show, how about it?
Speaker 8: They don't discount the Huxtables now the Huxtable show.
Speaker 3: No, but I will actually say that I in my heart, I feel like that show jumped the shark by season three.
Speaker 5: I don't know why.
Speaker 2: It's just crazy day. I haven't even done Night and Day yet.
Speaker 3: Okay, no, well they did. That was season two. Girls kind of saying what season Stevie Wonder season two?
Speaker 4: Oh, damning on the one on the one man.
Speaker 3: Ray Charles, the season two jamming on the one season two, season two. Yes, it is like when she came in the house and they started to breaking that actually season one.
Speaker 10: That's right, like season three of Cedar's World on bet.
Speaker 4: You know what Cedar Swirl.
Speaker 3: I remember one time I went to Roscoe's and this girl ran up to me. It was me and Comeal went in there.
Speaker 4: It's like, oh my god, I love y'all love it. Oh y'all don't know.
Speaker 5: And then she's like, I'm Cita and then she went into her voice and me and COmON lost it.
Speaker 2: Like that.
Speaker 5: For me, I felt like I made it because.
Speaker 3: Can you explain Tita to meta?
Speaker 4: Okay?
Speaker 5: Cita was like it was like this animated chicken head that used to be on BET. It was the crazy ship.
Speaker 3: Thank you.
Speaker 5: She hosted a show like it was the wildest ship. It was called World.
Speaker 3: It's way funnier than me googling it.
Speaker 5: That's great.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna tell you right now, somewhere in the world is a billion dollar industry check with your name on it. If you can somehow figure how to give like micro bite uh descriptions to everything that ever existed at these tack lines.
Speaker 5: Tackline Fonte, I would keep that in mind. Did you say digital chicken? Yeah, that's basically what it World.
Speaker 6: One of the headlines reads, we need an apology for Cedar's World.
Speaker 5: She gives a show like now it probably wouldn't air today, Like now.
Speaker 3: It would launch, but she was like Max head Room, Yes, yeah, exactly ye, and one.
Speaker 4: Like grand Theft Autographics, you know what I mean, like when they would like this all right, but she would be host of the show.
Speaker 8: I like, at least they try. Did you know b E T will try something?
Speaker 4: They tried. Yeah, you know, I support I support Cita.
Speaker 5: I'm not mad at them.
Speaker 3: Well, mister andre I know you've had a very long day.
Speaker 10: I appreciate you. Thank you for having me on the show.
Speaker 8: Thank you for coming on that show, and did you say it's the perfect way to end the day?
Speaker 4: Is that what she said? Walk? Because I had to do all these like grappid Fire interviews and only talk about the movie.
Speaker 10: It was nice to just like talk to human beings like human being.
Speaker 3: Yeah, man, And I wanted to say before we go to man, my girl Golden Shine, who does your makeup?
Speaker 4: She did?
Speaker 3: We work together on a show for Comedy Central a couple of years back. But she just always has the best things to say about you, and like she just loves working on the show, and she just you know, so I just wanted to just, you know, save what's up?
Speaker 4: Man.
Speaker 3: It's our first time meeting, but she always just speaks very highly of you and just says you just a one dude.
Speaker 5: Man.
Speaker 10: Oh man, I'm flattered. And she's my sister from another mister.
Speaker 4: I love her.
Speaker 5: She's good for you.
Speaker 4: All right.
Speaker 3: Well, on the right half of Sugar Steve and Layah and Unpaid Bill and Fantikolo. We like to thank our guests Eric Andre for coming on Quest Love Supreme.
Speaker 5: We will see you on the next go Ren. All right, yo, what's up?
Speaker 3: This is Fante. Make sure you keep up with us on Instagram at QLs and let us know what you think and we should be next to sit down with us. Don't forget to subscribe to our podcast, all right.
Speaker 1: Peace, West Love Supreme is a production of iHeart Radio. For more podcasts from iHeart Radio, visit the iHeart Radio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.