Speaker 1: The following is a production of Dallas Cowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.
Speaker 2: Cowboys.
Speaker 1: This is Mick Shots streaming live on Dallascowboys dot Com and the official Dallas Cowboys at now Here are Bill Jones, Everson Walls, and Nicky Spagnola.
Speaker 3: And it's another week. It's eleven am on a Monday, and it's time for another edition of mix Shots inside the SWBC podcast studio, Bill Jones, Everson Walls and the star of the show, Mickey's Spagnola.
Speaker 4: Of this show.
Speaker 3: You're not the star Showy, it says your name third Whale. And we are here for another week. And there's a lot going on here, as a matter of fact, normally, Everson, you see two ball fields out here. There's only one football field out here. There's a big event coming up on Thursday night.
Speaker 2: And then when it rains, there's no football fields out here, can't go inside.
Speaker 5: Well they have they have facilities out there for the concert.
Speaker 3: Right And that's right, the AMC concert coming up on Thursday.
Speaker 2: Night, Thursday night, So I think football practice, if it rains again, will go across the street to Baylor Scott And why.
Speaker 3: Yes, yeah, they can they have a weight room that's still available.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I'll get the strength and conditioning or strength probably not the.
Speaker 5: I love the the I love the place over there, the Baylor Place. It's really nice. That's really nice.
Speaker 4: We've done a couple of couple of shows in there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, we did.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: There's another football team that practices over it. I don't know if it's maybe the indoor.
Speaker 3: Team, the Dallas Defenders.
Speaker 4: Maybe. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I see them every once in a while driving in there. They're outside of that outside practicing.
Speaker 4: Yeah. I never knew that was the name. I never knew the name.
Speaker 3: I didn't either until last week. I was at the Stars game, but there was a sign at the at the American Airlines showing the Dallas Defenders.
Speaker 4: You got me on that one, thank you.
Speaker 2: You know the Hey, Mickey, do you know who the head coach of the Dallas Defenders.
Speaker 4: I do not Clinton Dozell.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, that's right Dozel Dallas Desperado fame. What a quarterback he was for the Desperadoes Arena Football League.
Speaker 2: I think he was almost like the offensive coordinator. Well he was.
Speaker 3: He was like a coach on the field. Will McLay was the head coach once upon a time. What yeah, Dallas.
Speaker 2: So I was, well, that's how that's how he got here. They hired him away from Jacksonville, uh, to be the Desperado's defensive coordinator. But he said if he was going to take John was the head coach figurehead. Yes, it was like the monarchy, a man of many towns. So Will was sort of and Dozel were kind of running those teams because Will told him if I'm if I'm coming over to coach the desk Bridles, then I also want to be involved in scouting because he was a scout for Jacksonville, and so they said yeah, okay, So it was kind of, yeah, what.
Speaker 3: A testament to working your way up through the ranks. For Will McLay, that was going to be no idea, we're going to go down this road, but it's a great road to go down.
Speaker 2: Let me write that down because that was gonna be my Friday column, right, a testament Will McLay. Uh. Funny how we got to it. Also because of the rain and a m C. And people should know that there's a there's a big television AMC is like movies. Right, there's a there's a tent outside on the where the practice turf field is, and a parking lot also because.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I don't know if I want to call it. I mean that's just a structure.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's more than a tent. Yeah, it's it's the equivalent of what you would see at a PGA Tour event. Now the hospitality or party tents, party tents, and then behind it's going to be parking for the celebs getting driven in by their limos.
Speaker 4: Oh you know you're one of those guys.
Speaker 3: Come on, Oh yeah, right, yeah, he's one of the drivers.
Speaker 2: That's why some extra pay In case I saw Keller Parkson or something.
Speaker 4: You're like, well, you've mad many talents.
Speaker 2: That's right, you gotta be.
Speaker 4: That's right.
Speaker 3: So anyway, and off season workouts continue.
Speaker 2: With coaches on the field. We talked about it last week and they continued this week. And the rookie mini camp will be Friday, Saturday and Sunday. They get here.
Speaker 3: So when will its Will they be able to go to the a CM Awards.
Speaker 6: I don't know.
Speaker 2: If they have a bullpen for those guys, they'll be.
Speaker 3: Able to hear it. They stay right here right Uh, if there's room the rookies.
Speaker 2: Report on Fridays, the days in down the road.
Speaker 3: Ever since you recalled where you stayed right off the bat, I mean you were local in town.
Speaker 4: I was good. I was good. You never had but that was.
Speaker 2: You didn't have. Did you have a mini camp?
Speaker 4: Yeah? We had many camp for just the rookies. Uh we did. We have many for the rookies. And uh we were out there.
Speaker 5: I remember the DB's and the white receivers, uh were kind of going at and I couldn't wait to get that and get at somebody because I was still upset about not being drafted. And I was I remember I was going to go up against Doug Donaldy every time he went up because he was the first guy that they drafted. So my my focus was on on Doug Donaldy. And and here comes Tony Hill.
Speaker 2: But I thought it was just rookies.
Speaker 4: Yeah, out of there too, come Tony Hill.
Speaker 5: I'm like, oh man, I'm salivating, right like man, I get to go against Tony Hill.
Speaker 4: So I step up to the front.
Speaker 3: I was just right on the heels of Tony Hill catching a touchdown bass from Roger Starbaucht to beat Washington seventy nine.
Speaker 4: That was my moment.
Speaker 5: That was my moment, right, So I stepped up on Tony Hill like, hey, you know I stepped up a little too aggressively for his taste, because he was just there, Hey, guys, I just want to get a good look.
Speaker 4: You know, I'm up here to warm up. You know.
Speaker 5: Tony always had problems in the off season of keeping his weight, so he was out there early, you know, his big sweats on and everything. I'm out there like, hey man, I want to go against you. He goes, hey, bok, I'm just trying to get at a little warmed up. I say, okay, that's okay. Say you stepping up kind of strong? I said, yeah, I want you. He says, well, you know you want me.
Speaker 4: Let's go.
Speaker 5: So we start. I come up at him real faster. I'm a curl ride. I mean I really came at him hard, right. I didn't give him any room. And he's like, hey, look, I told you, I'm just trying to warm up. And he said okay. So he comes out the next play man. He shook me down so hard. He sent me down so hard I'm almost booke my ankle, right, and he catches the ball, he throws.
Speaker 4: It back at me. I see you in train to camp.
Speaker 3: So your attitude is an undrafted guy coming in. There's gonna be undrafted guys that are coming in here this week. What advice do you give those guys who are trying to show what they can do right off the bat.
Speaker 4: Don't sit back, don't wait, you know, don't don't you know.
Speaker 5: First of all, don't make the same mistakes you see somebody else make out there, right that's the best thing to do. You learn from somebody else's mistakes while you're out there and learning.
Speaker 4: And like I said, the main thing is show yourself.
Speaker 3: And even though there may be no reason for you to walk in here with any swagger, you come in here with some swagger.
Speaker 4: If I'm if I'm looking at I'm looking at like this.
Speaker 5: If I'm a free agent, okay, if I'm I come in and whatever for the time I run, you know, not not the four to seven.
Speaker 4: I'm talking about. If I'm one of those guys out there and I'm running like a four or five.
Speaker 5: Four four, and I'm gonna use that, you know, whatever I can do with that four four, I'm gonna show them I can use that with the four to ford. I'm gonna do all the drills correctly. I'm gonna know where the hell I'm supposed to be at all times. And at the same time, I'm going to show them that I'm eager enough to want to get out there and represent the start.
Speaker 3: And especially if a Tony Hill, a guy who at the time was four years into the league, probably when when you were a rookie of years okay, three years into the league, and that established himself in the league.
Speaker 4: You're gonna show this.
Speaker 5: Veteran, this, this is who, this is who I need to compare to.
Speaker 4: This is my this is my goal right there. That's my standard.
Speaker 5: But that was Tony Hill, But at the time before he came, it was Doug donnolly. Because Doug was the first, he was the first receiver drafted in our class, and so I was gonna go at somebody. I wasn't gonna try and prove myself against another free agent. I'm gonna try and prove myself against the best. You're the best. I want to beat the best, and that's what I told Tony Hill.
Speaker 2: So unfortunately, nowadays we have rules against that veterans can't be out there.
Speaker 5: Well, then I'm gonna it's one of the rookies. It's gonna be one of those rookies that you speak highly of. If it's a wide receiver and I'm a dB, I gotta go at you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's it.
Speaker 4: This is man the man right here.
Speaker 3: But it's basically just this weekend because they've moved back rookie camp. Now what it was before For years, it was just days after the draft and after all these free agents are signed whatever, then they have a rookie camp, then they go back home, and then they come back for off season. Now it just goes right into OTA's basically the following week.
Speaker 2: And that's why they did it, so they didn't have to go home and come back.
Speaker 3: So you're exactly, it's a rookie orientation. You're just days away.
Speaker 2: Basically for a veteran on appresse, they turned it into an orientation because before they brought these guys in and started going at it, they show up here and it's ninety degrees and these guys hadn't been doing anything than preparing for the draft and taking you know, the chicken dinner tours on their visits. Uh, and then they come in here and pull a hamstring or a quad, you know, and then and they wear them out, you know, the you know, the big story when Dez was drafted comes in here and you know he's losing his lunch out there. And so they've backed off now and it's more of a kind of walk through orientation to get them ready to show how we practice right, how we do things, and then have them ready to go for the OTAs. So no one on one probably not.
Speaker 4: Wow.
Speaker 2: Well, if there is so what on this list.
Speaker 5: Of then Bill should ask you the question, what can a free agent do?
Speaker 2: Not yet? You just show up at time to wait, wait for yeah, and learn and learn the playbook until you get to OTAs because they're I mean, looking at this, there's no rookie quarterback in this group right to throw one on one now, they they normally what they do is they bring guys in for like a tryout and have them throw. Because I think we will have a couple. Will Brier may not even qualify.
Speaker 3: To we're probably doesn't now, I think.
Speaker 2: Because this is like his third fourth year right.
Speaker 5: Well, I think if if I were going to be strategic about it, I would try my best to to find where that camp is when the when the quarterback takes his wide receivers and the dbs.
Speaker 4: They all work out together.
Speaker 3: Knock on deck, stoort today.
Speaker 2: Uncle dak Did I come and play?
Speaker 4: You know? Sometimes they go to Arizona, Right man?
Speaker 5: If I can go to Arizona and practice something, I mean, you gotta.
Speaker 4: That plane, I'll get a ticket.
Speaker 2: If you don't have any money to buy on. Probably, so they've got I think we talked about did we talk last week about a couple of the guys they sign? Maybe the full back we talked about, right Hunter lip Key? Is that how you say it? North Dakota State. They really like him. I found out that they he's versatile, not only full back full back, but he can he ran the football for North Dakota State, obviously you know, probably can play special teams. And so he was a guy that I think stood out for them in you know, agreed the terms. I guess it still is until they get here and sign. But he was one of about a dozen guys that they look like they had to come to agreements with.
Speaker 3: Well, and when you look at the history of Mike McCarthy offenses, a fullback is a very important part of it has been in the past Anyway, John Coon was a Pro Bowl fullback.
Speaker 2: For him, I think he did it by his performance against the Cowboys that here if you remember running the ball, catching the ball, scoring touchdowns by.
Speaker 3: The way, and and Lipke is six to one. He's at the combine he was six to one and a quarter inch tall, two hundred and thirty four pounds, and so he is a type that with the ability maybe it'll run between the tackles a little bit. But I would assume they're looking at hymore so as being that fullback type.
Speaker 2: Yeah, lead blocker, because unfortunately, these full backs in college don't grow on trees, right. No one goes to college and say, gosh, I want to be a lead blocker as a fullback. That this doesn't happen you turn into it because you failed, probably as a tight end or something like that. But this guy's got something to him. They really like him. I saw the other guy. One of the guys I heard that they really like is the cornerback from Louisiana Tech, Miles Brooks. He had played three years at steven F Austin and then transferred. He wanted to go to Division one and he transferred to a lot Tech for his final year. And I'm not sure what happened coming out of college high school Fluggerville. I think he was at Austin area. He had committed to Arkansas and then something I read decommitted mutually and then ended up at steven F Austin. So didn't know if there was a reason why he needed to stay close to home or what. But he was being recruited by some Division one teams before he ended up going to steven F.
Speaker 3: And he fits the profiles nearly six ' one, two hundred and one pounds, ran a four or five one.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and.
Speaker 2: You know he was He had a good year at Louisiana Tech. I read where he only gave up thirty you know. And I don't know how accurate these things are. You know, quarterbacks completed passes against them at only thirty six percent rate.
Speaker 4: So why don't you trust the data? What's going on?
Speaker 2: Well, I don't know who's doing it.
Speaker 4: Where'd you get it with?
Speaker 2: They might have some high school kid looking at tape.
Speaker 3: That's that's like when you look at drop passes. Yeah, okay, who judges? Especially at the college level, you get a little more standardized. I guess in the NFL. Yeah, but at the college level, who's judging whether it was a drop pass or not. I mean, the ball might have been way behind the guy and he barely got his left hand on it trailing.
Speaker 5: I thought they had an official, you know, person website, not an organization, not an official NFL.
Speaker 3: It's an official website, but it's not an official person, right, that's entering the data I read.
Speaker 2: I've read one thing about him. They projected him it could be a day to prospect, probably a Day three and it said potentially a steal for the right team. So I also think his dimensions. He's six one, two hundred sounds like a safety to me. And he played safety in high school, by the way, so it might be one of those guys where they listed because they listed him as a defensive back, didn't list him as a corner or safety.
Speaker 5: I think, you say, six six feet six and one, you can still be a six solid cornerback.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know, it's still.
Speaker 2: Such a good size, right, and they like big corner Yeah.
Speaker 5: You start talking about the safeties here, though. Donovan Wilson is an exception, but you know, more than jay Ron is more of the guy that kind of looks more like that hybrid.
Speaker 3: Well, I mean he was invited to the combine. I mean that four or five one was it was a combine number, it was. It's not a pro day number.
Speaker 2: And he was at the East West Shrine tried game also.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so that's a name to keep an eye on, yes, Miles Brooks. Absolutely, Okay, all right, before we hit a break. One thing, I would like to mention one or two off the top. We got sidetracked talking ACMs, but our thoughts and prayers are with everybody over an hour and just a horrible tragedy over the weekend as well, and it's just senseless. It makes you sick of your stomach just seeing anything about it and stuff. But I just wanted to mention that off the top as well.
Speaker 4: I just know it was yesterday was a great day, beautiful day.
Speaker 5: I had just come home. We were celebrating my grandmother. She had passed on years ago, but she lived to be one hundred and four, so we were celebrating her birthday. And as soon as I got home, I turned on the TV and that's what was on. And I'm just thinking, I'm like maybe two miles from there, that's my house is maybe two miles from there, and so looking at what a beautiful day it was, everyone was out and that's why when you saw all the people there that was gathering that they had had, you know, tried to corner off. Uh, it just looked that was at the outlet, all the malls.
Speaker 3: Yesterday as well at a church in the area, as so.
Speaker 5: Many people were out there, and it's thank god it wasn't worse.
Speaker 2: You know, Stars was Stars coach Pete de Boor uh pulled the Steve Kerr at his Sunday pre game press conference.
Speaker 3: It was before he was even asked a question, he just opened and I think he woke up about it. You know, they the Stars actually they practiced here on Saturday morning, right, and then they flew to Seattle and this occurred at three point thirty in the afternoon our time. It sounded like from what Peter du Boor, the Stars coach, said, he didn't even find out about it until he woke up on Sunday.
Speaker 2: Saturday morning, and boy, he yeah, he pulled the Steve Kerr basically, you know, he didn't go off as much as Kerr like pounding the table, but he made his point, right, because if you remember, Kerr did that of course, saying, you know, we got to do something, tired of this.
Speaker 4: And yeah that was like seven incidents ago.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, oh boy, don't get me started. And Bill had to open up the window.
Speaker 3: Well it is mix shots.
Speaker 2: It is mick shots.
Speaker 3: And so anyway, our thoughts and prayers are with everybody there and we're uh, it's just unfathomable of what happened, and uh and how often it happens.
Speaker 2: Yeah, just think about that, just going shopping, you're outside the stores.
Speaker 5: I think the main thing the question I keep asking is how did this get to be the norm?
Speaker 4: You know, how did this?
Speaker 5: What did this mindset come from to to think that that would solve anything. I know that these are mental issues we're talking about, and of course we're talking about the availability to file arms, but for your mindset, you know, to even think that that would solve something, I don't understand what you're trying to do. And whatever you did, it didn't work.
Speaker 4: You know, you haven't changed anyone's minds about anything.
Speaker 2: So hell of a way to have a death wish, right.
Speaker 3: All right, Well we will continue with mixed shots in just a moment, and we'll get into some of the things that are on the table for the Cowboys going forward.
Speaker 6: Here in just a moment, I'm Duk Prescott, quarterback of the Dallas Cowboys. Blockchain dot Com is one of the most trusted ways to buy, sell, and trade crypto. Whether you're always on the go or stay closer to home, blockchain dot com is just a few types away put the power of crypto in your pocket, so no matter where you are, you can trade on your terms and build a crypto portfolio to.
Speaker 4: At your life. For crypto pros, rookies.
Speaker 6: And anyone in between, blockchain dot Com makes it easy to own a piece of the future. Blockchain dot Com Trust it by millions, Trust it by America's team.
Speaker 7: The Medal of Honor is our country's highest military award for valor in combat. More than forty million individuals have served in the armed forces since the Civil War. Fewer than four thousand have received the Medal of Honor. The National Medal of Honor Museum will be a place to preserve these legacies and inspire America. It's being built right next door to the Dallas Cowboys in Texas. Help us honor our country's greatest heroes. Learn more and get involved at mohmuseum dot org.
Speaker 2: Hey honey, can we talk?
Speaker 3: Of course? What's up?
Speaker 4: Well?
Speaker 3: I just thought you should know I've been curious about the new Doctor Pepper Strawberries and Cream.
Speaker 4: Have you fought this way a long time?
Speaker 6: No?
Speaker 7: I just think I'd really like the taste of doctor Pepper swirled with layers of flavor.
Speaker 3: If you feel that way, I think you should try it, Babe.
Speaker 2: It's amazing. I mean you're amazing too, dude. Doctor Pepper Strawberries and Cream the new flavor you deserve.
Speaker 8: No one knows where this market will go. Things could change tomorrow, next week, or next month. At Meryl, we've been here before, and history shows this is the time to stay focused on your future because through every market, the bull will always have your back. Find an advisor in North Texas at mL dot com.
Speaker 4: Slash publish Merrill, a Bank of America Company. What would you like the power to do? Investing involves risk?
Speaker 3: Merrilynch, Pier, Spender and Smith, Incorporated, Register Broker Dealer, Registered Investment Advisor Member, SIPC, a holy own subsidiaria.
Speaker 4: Of Bank of American Quarter.
Speaker 2: Tom Shots country music is rocking the Star in Frisco with a free, multi day fan festival ahead of the big show, Come celebrate country music's party of the year at the ACM Country kick Off May ninth and tenth. The fund starts each day at three pm with live performances from the newest country music stars, pop up shops, exclusive artists, merch, a beer garden, food trucks, and much more. Visit Acmcountrykickoff dot com for more information.
Speaker 3: Okay, I need to review that.
Speaker 4: I'm better than you.
Speaker 3: I just need to review it because I wasn't listening at the beginning. Okay, So for those of you who aren't listening at the beginning like I wasn't. It's a multi day fan festival. We're not just talking Thursday.
Speaker 2: Right, We're talking the lead up. Okay, Tuesday and Wednesday.
Speaker 3: Okay, ACM Country Kickoff May what's the day today?
Speaker 4: Eighth?
Speaker 3: The eighth, and so May ninth is Tuesday, May tenth, Wednesday, The fund starts three pm. I just want to reemphasize when you say May ninth and tenth, for those of us who are a little slower, hard for us to put those days days. It's Tuesday, It's Wednesday, the fun starts at three o'clock.
Speaker 2: It's going to be like walking down the streets in Nashville.
Speaker 3: So we've got a country music festival here the next three days, basically basically starting at three o'clock in the afternoon on Tuesday Wednesday, and then the big event on Thursday.
Speaker 2: Probably a bunch of bands that are trying to make it and they're getting a shot at playing the pregame.
Speaker 4: So you think they have little pop ups around you know.
Speaker 3: It says the newest country music stars, pop up shops, exclusive artists, merchandise, a beer garden, food trucks, and much more.
Speaker 4: They need to do that. For hip hop, they.
Speaker 3: Need to have Dallas Cowboys signing autographs there.
Speaker 2: Well, it did say performances by the newest country music stars. Yeah, oh, pop up shots, not pop up shops, not pop up concerts.
Speaker 3: No O, I've got a question for unless you tell me what's on your legal path.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 2: This was my page of the guys that they were coming to agreements with with the undrafted free agents, And then I had a took a deep dive, uh the other day into Scott the Cowboys, Uh, Eric Scott Junior, the cornerback they drafted in the sixth round, the still the still, that's still still still the Southern Miss, Southern Mississippi. This kid.
Speaker 3: So you're touting Miles Brooks, the undrafted guy and sixth round of who they gave up a future next year's fifth round.
Speaker 2: Well that was the tip off and they had to know something about him. Uh my understanding is Sam Garza, the Mid South area scout sort of got onto him while he was playing at Southern Miss, and uh that was their first kind of knowing who this guy is. But the reason evidently he was so emotional when he got drafted because I don't know if you guys heard Jerry's call to him, the kid's voice was cracking up. He was losing it. He talked about how you know, he wasn't sure when he was going to get drafted, but he sat there and watched the whole first round, watched the whole second day, and now it's starting the sixth round and he still hadn't got drafted, right, and you know, and he was a guy that wasn't invited to the Combine, wasn't invited to the Senior Bowl, did go to the East West Shrine, game, and when he had his Pro day workout, two steps into his forty yard dash, he pulled his squad and he finished. Okay, he finished. It didn't stop, but he finished in four to seven one. So everybody wrote down four seven to one right, well.
Speaker 3: And they immediately dismissmissed him.
Speaker 2: Yes, And so he talked about how he was sitting at the at the foot of his parents' bed watching it on TV with a blanket over his head, and when he heard Jerry make the phone call, you know, he started to cry.
Speaker 4: Well.
Speaker 2: He uh, he was from a little small town in Kansas.
Speaker 3: About Theahoor Lynnwood High School, about thirty miles west of Kansas City, Basehor. Basehor, Kansas is where he was born.
Speaker 2: And he didn't get a lot of looks out of high school. So he goes to Illinois State his red shirt freshman year. I think he played like four games if I remember, and he left, well, he got into something to the point his parents basically said you're gonna come home. You're going to Butler Community College and went tore right, Marcus Lawrence and Michael Gallop by the way, And so he goes there kind of re establishes himself gets a scholarship offerer to Southern Mississippi. And you know the first year's COVID twenty twenty, twenty twenty one, twenty twenty two. He had a really good season. But in these draft guides, like the one we put out the Star Draft Guide, he was ranked the thirty third cornerback. There was another one that had him ranked sixtieth and another one seventy sixth.
Speaker 5: Now that's where you have to question the data.
Speaker 2: Because the Cowboys used next year's fifth to go up particularly get this guy.
Speaker 4: On the sixtieth worst.
Speaker 6: So today me.
Speaker 2: I'm thinking, Okay, the kid's got to have something.
Speaker 3: I just give you an idea on that. What did the Eagles do in the fourth round. They took next year's fourth round pick and traded up for the third pick in the fourth round this year to take Healey Ringo, the ch talted cornerback from Georgia who fell to the fourth round. And so that's how highly Philadelphia thought of this guy. Well, the Cowboys they traded their fifth round pick to go get Eric Scott.
Speaker 2: Right, and here's what is Southern Mississippi head coach Will Hall had to say about him. He said, if you're ever around him. He's the epitome of our culture. He really wakes up every day and chooses his attitude and chooses to respond the right way no matter what the circumstances are. He's a kid that didn't have a lot going on out of high school, made some bad decisions, ended up in junior college, and totally has transformed his life. And if you know anything about some of the kids that go to Southern Mississippi, uh, and in my days of being in Jackson, Mississippi working at the paper and knowing a little bit about Southern Mississippi, these are usually really tough kids that are pissed off because they got overlooked.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 2: And they've made a culture out of that at Southern Mississippi.
Speaker 4: And Reggie call you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, except that he is his talents, Well try to just who got his only start the last game of the eighty sixth season and he wasn't ready.
Speaker 5: Well it wasn't amazing an amazing athlete one of the.
Speaker 2: Yes, absolutely, and and so I just I just figured that when I started looking at the Cowboys, you know, really liked him. They got to know him a little better. At the East West Shrine, game, and then they brought him in on a thirty visit, so you don't waste your thirty visits, right, And so he had the foresight or I should say probably thanks to his agent, that they brought in a photographer and they mimicked the workout he would have done at his pro day, so you know that had not had pulled his quad. So they and I went and found it. He said it was on YouTube. They call it the W drill for the corners where your backpedal turn come back hard. Backpedal turn, come back hard, and they throw you the football. So they actually do a W and they filmed it and sent it out to the teams that he took visits to, and he visited four other teams too, by the way, and sent the video in and they're sitting there looking at how this kid's you know, his movement.
Speaker 4: And it's like, okay, where did he come from? Yeah?
Speaker 2: And so so he got basically a second chance at making it to the NFL, and he just sounded like a solid kid. He was so humble, so grateful. He couldn't even get through his interview with the guys here on the Draft show without kind of breaking up. So it was. It was a good story. I'm anxious to see him when he gets in here. Six almost two hundred another by the way, six cornerback.
Speaker 3: Yeah, who's the best player out of Southern Miss?
Speaker 4: Ready to call you? I'm just saying the best player? You don't think so maybe I'm not well, you can say, but I don't know how played. I don't know how he played in college.
Speaker 5: I don't know how to play in college coming out of Southern Miss a professional career coming out.
Speaker 2: Was the second round pick, but only because he had gotten in a car accident and really suffered some serious injuries. Yeah, and and they didn't trust, you know, they weren't sure what he was going to be. But let's remember when when Green Bay traded for him after his rookie year and he didn't really hardly play, they gave up a first round pick for him, and the rest is history as a matter of fact. So at the time, the head coach at Atlanta was, well.
Speaker 3: Yours this oh ninety one, Lehman Bennett, No, No, a little short Jerry Glanville.
Speaker 2: Glanville's funny story. Me and my buddy that I worked with in Jackson, and he had gone to Southern Miss. His dad was the sid at Southern Miss. We're coming out of the post Super Bowl little dinner at night when he watched the game again and whatever, And it's freezing cold in Minneapolis. I mean it's cold. The ice sculpture never never dripped the drop, right, it stayed frozen. Anyway, we're coming out and Glanville comes running out. He goes, hey, where are you guys going. We told him a hotel.
Speaker 4: That's where I'm going. I'll walk with you.
Speaker 2: Well, my friend couldn't resist because they had already made the trade. He oh, no, he hadn't made the trade yet. It was a week before and he goes, uh, yeah, coach, you know I went to Southern Miss. You know there's does Brett Fire have a chance in the league? He goes, how did he put? He said he does if he realizes by Wednesday you got to quit all that. What did he call it? Like juice squeeze and meaning drinking. He had some term for partying, right, He goes, and I don't know if he'll ever figure it out. Just like that, and the week later they traded him for a first round pick to Green Bay.
Speaker 4: So you think the accident may have been.
Speaker 2: I think it hurt his draft. That's why he made a second Yeah.
Speaker 4: You think it was assumed that he was drinking.
Speaker 2: Oh well, that part. I don't know the details, but it was. I mean, he suffered some really bad internal injuries. Yeah, and you know, I'm sure he was lucky he was in a little town like Green Bay too. But you're right, the best athlete coming out of Southern Mississippi. Yeah, you were Louisy and.
Speaker 3: First round draft pick out of Southern miss Though. Okay, who first round draft pick?
Speaker 2: Running back?
Speaker 3: Nope, it had to be a deep hunter. What Ray guy.
Speaker 5: It had to be way back. It had to be way back. There's no way that was a recent.
Speaker 3: Which, by the way, also another one, Hanford Dixon is also first. And I think.
Speaker 2: Who was the running back that ended up in Denver. I think he was from Southern Mississippi.
Speaker 3: One. We're going to have that answer for you. Plus I'm going to ask you the question. We're going to have the answer to this question. Is there one position on this Cowboys team that you would be most concerned about if you lost the top player at that position? Did that make any sense?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 3: Yeah, the one position that you would be most concerned, where do they Where might they want to fortify even at this late date in the off season, when we come back your own nick shots.
Speaker 7: The Medal of Honor is our country's highest military award for valor in combat. More than forty million individuals have served in the armed forces since the Civil War. Fewer than four thousand have received the Medal of Honor. The National Medal of Honor Museum will be a place to preserve these legacies and inspire America. It's being built right next door to the Dallas Cowboys in Texas. Help us honor our country's greatest heroes. Learn more and get involved at mohmuseum dot org.
Speaker 6: I'm Doak Prescott, quarterback of the Dallas Cowboys. Blockchain dot com is one of the most trusted ways to buy, sell, and trade crypto. Whether you're always on the go or stay closer to home, blockchain dot com is just a few taps away put the power of crypto in your pocket, so no matter where you are, you can trade on your terms and build a crypto portfolio to fit your life.
Speaker 4: For cryptopros, rookies.
Speaker 6: And anyone in between, blockchain dot com makes it easy to own a piece of the future Blockchain dot Com trusted buy millions us at by America's team.
Speaker 3: Hey Cowboys fans, ready to spice up your next watch party? Bring Yo Kiero Guacamole be the game day hero. Yo kiro means I want and we know you want. Great, fresh tasting, ready to serve guacamole for your homegating and tailgating events. Made with real avocados and the perfect blend of spices. It will be the star of any party. You can find us at your local Albertsons or tom Thumb in the Delhi section. If you can't find it, talk to your store manager and tell them Yo Kiero, Yo Kiero Guacamole.
Speaker 5: Star Sports Tours is the only efficient fan travel partner of the Dallas Cowboys, offering exclusive game weekend travel packages with pregame, sideline access and photo ops with current players, cheerleaders, and Cowboy legends.
Speaker 4: You want to stay at a.
Speaker 5: Team hotel, attend the best tail game party in Texas, tour the Star and talk x's and o's with me Everson Wallas. With Star Sports Tours, you can visit cowboystravel dot com to book your travel package to.
Speaker 2: Day shots K Post Roofing and water Proofing. Make sure you call them because you want to call them, not because you need to call them, right, yes, and we before you have damage, before you have damage. And you know what I heard on another read on another that they were the ones that fixed the leak at the aa C by the way, okay, but they didn't call them there until they had to call them, right, So by choice, not not chance.
Speaker 4: Thank you. That's what I was trying to go Chris the.
Speaker 2: Phone number he wants to get and the two one four that's as much as I can read two five forty eight sixty or yeah, and if you want to go online Kpost Roofing dot com, say the.
Speaker 3: Number K Post company producer producer supreme. Would you please read the phone number again without Mickey talking at the same time.
Speaker 2: Two one four two two five forty eight sixty.
Speaker 3: Very good, thank you very much.
Speaker 4: Like Johnson there, John, I don't know your top was established there you go.
Speaker 3: All right, Uh, what is the one position on this team that if you lost the top starter at that position you might be in a bind?
Speaker 4: Quarterback?
Speaker 3: Before I say that before, let me before we're get to.
Speaker 2: Qualify because he knows what I'm going to say.
Speaker 3: Hold it, hold it, hold it. Sammy Winder was he in to what Mickey asked before about the running back from Southern Miss who went onto the Broncos. It was Sammy Winder, who is a fifth round pick in nineteen eighty two. All Right, the one position where if you lost the top starter at that position you might be in a bind.
Speaker 2: This is too easy for me.
Speaker 3: Producer Supreme said, quarterback. But I think that quarterback that came in last year, what was his record as the starting quarter There you go, So that's when Jack was on the team.
Speaker 2: He'd be very confident me that you can make not on the team. You didn't. That's not what he's said.
Speaker 3: Well he got hurt, yeah, and he's going to miss playing and that and this player is going to miss five or six games. And so if if that were to happen, what's the one position on the team you might.
Speaker 2: Well, since they don't really have a starter at this position, kicker.
Speaker 3: Well that didn't count. Kicker doesn't out. I thought you were going to say, well, punter too, they don't. I mean, if they lost the starter at punter.
Speaker 2: But your kicker might be able to punt, but you're not sure you have a kicker.
Speaker 3: All right, you might be able to kick forget specialists. All right, well no kicker, no, but don't think.
Speaker 2: How much the kicker meant to this team last year?
Speaker 3: Deep snap? Were they found one last we've eliminated. We've eliminated specialists from this question.
Speaker 2: All right, Okay, so the one position if they lost.
Speaker 5: Them, and we know how delicate the union is, I'm surprised this long because this union is very delicate. It was delicate last year. You know, we were, you know, juggling around trying to feel the position God, I think the guard position.
Speaker 4: If we lose a starter, we don't do well, we just don't.
Speaker 2: But you haven't established one starter yet.
Speaker 4: Well we uh Tyler Smith? Yeah, so if he goes.
Speaker 3: Down, well, well they're they're trying to go into this. If I with a different starter at guard than Tyler Smith, right.
Speaker 2: Let's put it this way. If I don't go to the Super Bowl, and my excuse is I lost my guard, something else went.
Speaker 5: Wrong, well that was our excuse last year. It is trying to feel the god position.
Speaker 2: They had no problems at guard last year.
Speaker 4: They had no problems at god last year.
Speaker 2: No, Connor McGovern played very well. I wouldn't say that well enough to get twenty three contract.
Speaker 4: Well because he's only one left standing.
Speaker 2: No, he was the starter. He earned the job.
Speaker 3: Okay, Okay, so he composed the offensive guard left guard about okay, think about the defense, the defense.
Speaker 2: Going through it.
Speaker 3: Okay, let's do it out loud.
Speaker 2: Okay, I mean I can find a guy to play on the defensive.
Speaker 3: The Okay, all right, go to linebacker.
Speaker 4: Okay, you lose.
Speaker 2: A little worried about linebacker.
Speaker 3: About about safety? Pretty stock there at safety? Okay, cornerback, Well, so at least you've got at least you've got two of the two of the Pro Bowl variety.
Speaker 2: Right, and and Bland showed that he can play.
Speaker 4: Okay, not even looking the defensive backfield.
Speaker 3: Okay, so we've done with the defense. Okay, we've already started on offense at the guard position. Okay. I think the idea is they would they hope that maybe a Chuma Edoga who was signed in free agency from Atlanta, who was injured last year, only played one game.
Speaker 2: Everybody's forgetting there is Farniac.
Speaker 3: Barniac is another one because he came.
Speaker 2: In a couple of games and played and did a decent job.
Speaker 3: They're working Josh Ball there, and then the plan if none of those work out, the plan would be if, assuming the tackles are healthy, that Tyler would be your starting let move inside or they moved and Terence.
Speaker 2: They moved Terrence Steel there if he's ready to play and they've got something to play with plays right tackle.
Speaker 3: And then there are free agents out there that you would get down a veteran minimum.
Speaker 4: So is there a right answer?
Speaker 2: All?
Speaker 3: Right, wide receiver? We haven't wide receiver.
Speaker 2: I think he's thinking, maybe what.
Speaker 3: Wide wide receiver?
Speaker 4: What do you got?
Speaker 3: You got Brandon Cooks? You didn't have him last.
Speaker 4: Year, who seems to be a very muscular young man. You were Have you seen him? I saw him at the home run derby.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, it's the problem on the jack Man. There was a there was a problem last year at wide receiver. Wouldn't you agree? Yes, when once Amari left and he had signed James Washington, but it was a minimum wage. Dat Gallup wasn't a Gallup coming off the knee injury? Right, Okay, you've kind of taken care of that this year with Gallup being further removed from his surgery, and you got Cooks and all right, we're talking about tight end. You've tried to offset the loss of Dalton Schultz. Ma he got some possibilities.
Speaker 2: But let's let's talk about Dalton Schultz just for a second.
Speaker 4: Okay, all right.
Speaker 2: I think the guy they drafted and Jake Ferguson when it comes to that.
Speaker 3: Would be Luke's schoonmaker, the guy they drafted, the guy they drafted.
Speaker 2: Sorry, I think these guys are better, are better blockers right away than Dalton Schultz. Okay, and I think one of the problems they had last year in the running game is they didn't get very good blocking at the tight end position.
Speaker 4: I agree with you.
Speaker 3: Now we say that having never seen Luke schoonmaker John Timpton.
Speaker 2: Bo if he's.
Speaker 3: As much as the rights much as Stanford produces tight ends out to be able to block. Right.
Speaker 2: Well, now, let me say this and the other guys from Wisconsin.
Speaker 5: Dalton Dalton could block when when we had the other the other tight end, Blake Jarwin, Blake Jarwin, when Blake Jordan was a starter, Dalton was that big guy that came in and he caught the little two yard passes.
Speaker 4: But he was a blocker. And I don't know what happened. Maybe he did he lose the receiving he came to, but he looked like it. No, he didn't even block as the same tight end.
Speaker 3: After he worked on the machine, he worked on that, judge, I don't know what.
Speaker 4: Happened, but he became a bad He became as bad as Jarwin.
Speaker 2: And and my assessment is not like you know some looking back and have revisionist history. He didn't get a big deal in free agency. Let's remember that one year deal to go to the Texans for as much as six million, So his base salary is guaranteed at three point something and then there's a signing bonus that he got like one point two five. So it wasn't like boy he was the cat's meow at tight end. He seemed when's the last time you heard that?
Speaker 5: Hey, Fank, can we go back on back to the press.
Speaker 2: Get back to that.
Speaker 3: Can we get back to the correct answer to the question that was supposed Are you worried about the running back? I knew the running back. Yeah, if you lose Tony.
Speaker 2: Pollard then what or if he's not ready.
Speaker 3: Or if he's not ready.
Speaker 5: We've talked about that many times on this show. Yeah, we we we assumed to it, and he will be ready. It's like as if he's just come back the same Tony Pollard.
Speaker 3: When you look at the pool of running backs and free agency right.
Speaker 2: Now, well they are already signed theirs Ronald Jones. Yeah, that doesn't give you a lot of confidence.
Speaker 3: Just like James Washington didn't give me a lot of confidence.
Speaker 5: Okay, all right, Wow, he never said that. He never said that. This is first time saying that. Fact all we've been taling James watching on the show. We're talking about his rehabbit. But we can't wait to get that. Oh he's Jack too. And he never said a word.
Speaker 2: You know what he's like I thought, guys, I said, but he never said this time he never got a chance and then he got hurt.
Speaker 4: But he was never excited anyway from the beginning.
Speaker 2: So so you want to resign Ezekiel Elliott. I have no argument against that, you know, And there's too many people out there, because I saw an argument was just the other day that well they got Ronald Jones and they said and they paid and they said they paid him this, they paid him nothing, that's ce minimum. As a matter of fact, if if Deuce Vaughan shows he's worthy of being the second.
Speaker 3: Or thing I love as a third, Donald Jones.
Speaker 2: Not on the team, that's true. I mean he got like one hundred and fifty thousand dollars signing.
Speaker 5: That's his position on the team. Yeah, I believe that. I truly believe that as well.
Speaker 2: So, but you're right, And as I've said many times, tell me who's going to replace the twelve rushing touchdowns and who's going to replace him going to twelve or fourteen on third and.
Speaker 3: One forget Okay, if Tony Poller gets hurt alongside Tony Pollard, yes, as what they've had the last four years with Zeke and Tony Pollard. Who is the guy that's alongside Tony Pollard because duce Von is the third guy. He's the satellite and.
Speaker 4: Nothing against.
Speaker 2: Get an opportunity and play well. But no one has really given him that opportunity, right, I mean he was They're in Tampa and they made sure they went and got a running by sure.
Speaker 3: And he didn't do anything at Kansas City last.
Speaker 2: Year, right, he didn't hardly play two games made.
Speaker 4: He used to be a good back in this league. He was like real years into his in his career.
Speaker 2: He just really hadn't gotten And he's not that old. I think he's like twenty five, twenty six.
Speaker 4: So it is can Hunter? Can Hunter carry this load? Hunter? Lipke? Oh?
Speaker 2: I don't know that.
Speaker 3: I would rather have him or Zeke.
Speaker 2: Oh I. I'll take my chances with Zeke.
Speaker 4: Okay, but dude, Zeke don't have a number. His number is gone.
Speaker 2: He'll you know what, whatever the dollar sign. Yes, after the dollar sign, he'll play.
Speaker 4: He will look so awkward though, wouldn't it.
Speaker 2: I mean, well, it goes back to the fifteen.
Speaker 4: Anyways, Ah, interesting number.
Speaker 2: And that's career, is that, right? Will Garri fifteen?
Speaker 4: No, that's not weird. Good doesn't exist. You don't even have to. No.
Speaker 2: I think there's an argument to be made for that. I really do. And I think too many people are just dismissing the potential of that happened.
Speaker 4: Now it comes.
Speaker 2: The only thing that would hold it up is if he says, now I got to have more money than okay, fine, because they're not going to pay him more than what two million and then incentive three million.
Speaker 3: Maybe you can disguise it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I mean sort of way they disguised who's I was looking up a contract. Oh, it was Schultz's contract. It was a four year deal with three years.
Speaker 3: Got the same deal as three avoidable.
Speaker 2: Years, and then they took the signing bonus.
Speaker 3: It gets announced as a nine year deal and it's actually half.
Speaker 2: The Yeah, so you could do that with him.
Speaker 4: Has anyone had a Zeke sighting?
Speaker 2: Not really. I think he did something at uh some charity thing somebody spotted.
Speaker 4: I want to see what he looks like.
Speaker 2: He didn't. Oh, yeah, in shape.
Speaker 3: We're assuming he's in shape. All right, That does it for this.
Speaker 2: Additionally, when you're a free agent, you try to stay in shape.
Speaker 4: Okay, And so we will talk about time.
Speaker 3: Talk at you again next Monday.
Speaker 2: I'm talking about seek signing and who won the ac Awards.
Speaker 3: Do you have a favorite?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Right, all right, enjoy the ACM Awards and we will see you again next Monday here on Mixshop.
Speaker 4: No Cowboys.
Speaker 1: This has been a production of Dallascowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.