Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, podcasts, radio news from Mahard.
Speaker 2: We're Innovation, Money and power. Collie in Silicon Vallet NBN.
Speaker 3: This is Bloomberg Technology with Caroline Hyde and Ed Ludlow.
Speaker 4: I met Ludlow in San Francisco. Caroline hides off today. This is Bloomberg Technology coming up SpaceX weighing a tender offer that would value the company at two hundred billion dollars. Details ahead, plus a bloomberg scoop, Alphabet and Meta in talks with Hollywood studios to use their content for AI video generation and Canva takes on Adobe users with work tools to speed up it's growth. Let's get a quick check in on the markets. Lots of green on the screen. Happy Friday, What a nice way to end the week. You're looking at the Nasdaq one hundred Tech Heavy Index, the SOX or Philadelphia Semiconductor Index, both rebounding moving higher after UMich inflation expectations. Data made us feel a bit better that the world would be comfortable with rate cuts. Both of those indices have the ability to close at fresh record hides yields going nowhere, We're going to talk about Ether throughout the program. It's down in the session one percentage point thirty seven hundred and twelve dollars, but it's on track to have its best week in a year. Lots to discuss with the potential of spot ether ets with Bloomberg's Shnali Bassek. Let's go to the private markets. Bloomberg is reporting that SpaceX is considering a tender offer that would value the company at two hundred billion dollars. A tender offer is where the company allows staff, employees and some early investors to sell the shares that they already own existing shares to outside investors. The price is set by Elon Musk and the CFO, and it's agreed with basically a lead outside investor. And what we're hearing, according to one source, is that that price could be one hundred and eight to one hundred and ten dollars. So you do the math and that would be a jump in valuation to two hundred billion dollars. That's a pretty big number. Let's talk about it with Bloomberg's Max Chafkin, member of the Elon Inc. Podcast Team, storied columnist at Bloomberg BusinessWeek covering technology, and someone that's covered Elon Musk companies closely. The main point for me, irrespective of the mechanics is simple, SpaceX evaluation keeps going up.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Absolutely.
Speaker 3: I think the last number we had heard, the last private valuation we'd heard, was one hundred and eighty billion, So you know, this is a pretty sizable jump.
Speaker 2: It's also a reflection.
Speaker 3: Look, this is a fairly mature company it and it's private. So if you need to be able to find a way Elon Musk needs to find a way to give employees and some of these venture capitalists who may you know, may need to get out or want to get out, a method to do that. And of course, as you said, ed, because SpaceX has so much dominance in the large market, it's not hard to find other investors willing to take over these shares and take them over, you know, at a premium.
Speaker 4: You've documented throughout your career. Like the early days of SpaceX, things were very hard financially precarious. But now SpaceX basically dominates the industry for sending payload human and inorganic from Earth into orbit. Just summarize where they are in this industry.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so thanks to this long collaborative, a long collaboration with NASA, and I think NASA deserves a lot of credit here for you know, essentially backing SpaceX with early contracts.
Speaker 2: But they are are now as.
Speaker 3: You said, you know, the way that the US sends people and supplies up to the International Space Station, that's a very lucrative business. You know, there is a possibility the US would like to get another source. You know, Boeing is working on its own, its own systems there. So it's not like there's no competition. But when you take a few steps back and look at like just the volume of launches worldwide, SpaceX is dominating and it's it's it's sending up a very large percentage. And with the expansion of Starlink, you know, which is Elon Musk sort of internet satellite internet platform, that's created this additional demand for launches, this additional traffic that is coming, you know, on top of these very substantial government contracts.
Speaker 4: Max, I just want to share Elon Musk's post on X again with our audience. So we publish the story, and as so often is the case, a user on X took a screen grab of the article and this was must spon. SpaceX has no need for additional capital and will actually be buying backshares. We do liquidity rounds for employees and investors every six months approximately. My take on that is that he's basically confirming the Bloomberg reporting. And the main point that we make in the story is that in a tender they don't issue any new shares anyway, and they don't gain any proceeds from the sale. It's a transaction between the employees and the would be buyers.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I read it the same way.
Speaker 3: You know, every now and then you have a tender offer that could come with some additional funding, and I think part of the reason he probably chimed in is just to clarify that, no, this is not an effort to raise capital. This is just an effort to allow employees, early investors whoever, to exit their shares. Now, you do wonder is Elon Musk going to be among the shareholders. Obviously he's the world's richest man, but he still owns a huge amount of SpaceX, and you know, it would be interesting to see if he were were somebody who would unload shares, although you know, I don't think we have any indication that that is going to happen, But that's something that I'm going to keep my eyes on as this story develops.
Speaker 4: I did write to him and I did ask him, so Elon Musk, if you're watching, please reply to my email max Starship Attempt number four, Test number four as early as June fifth. You know, that could move, but just face on how successful Starship Test three was, you know, set the scene for us of what a Starship Test four might look like in your mind.
Speaker 3: So I think it's important to keep in mind they haven't made it into an orbit yet, but they have made it into space, and I think it's just important to keep in mind that this is going to be a long process, right, Like, this is a totally new spacecraft. We've seen the previous launches and you know, in sort of fireballs, but ending in a fireball is not necessarily a failure for this aircraft.
Speaker 2: Right, they are still in development mode.
Speaker 3: This is not you know, this is a situation where things are going to progress slowly because ultimately here the goal is to have a functional, reusable, and much much larger spacecraft than has ever been you know that has ever flown that you know, Elon Musk believes could be useful to you know, send missions to Mars. There's so many what IF's there, you know, I mean, despite the fact that this is using technology that that you know, SpaceX has been developing over a long period of time, the size is different, the scale is different, and then there are questions about what exactly do you do with this in the interim, because you know, I don't think we're gonna have a Mars colony, you know, in the next couple of years, and and Elon Musk is gonna want to find something to send into space to fill up these giant rockets.
Speaker 4: Starship test for as soon as June fifth, but if it happens on that date, we'll see Bloomers match traffickin What a way to end the week, Thank you very much. Sticking in the world of Elon Musk because artificially intelligence startup Xai is slated to complete a funding round in June that could value the company at more than twenty four billion dollars, which includes its latest influxu of cash. That's according to a source. The source also said the final close still hasn't happened in the deal, but the company is getting closer to its six point five billion dollar target in terms of the rays over the next few weeks. Canva just unveiled its biggest redesign in more than a decade, and it's Canva creat event in Los Angeles yesterday, with new workplace products like Canva Enterprise, a new subscription to meet growing demand and adoption by larger organizations. There's a lot more in there as well, and let's bring in Cameron Adams, who's the chief product officer, one of the co founders of Canber. You know, I've used Camber on and off as an individual creator over the last decade basically, but it's a significant redesign and I wanted to get right to what prompted that why you felt this was like time for Canva two point zero.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's great to hear that you've used it ed Over the last few years, we've seen more and more people bringing Camera into the workplace and using it with their teams and across their enterprise, and we thought now is the perfect time to give Camera a bit of a glow up to make sure that the interface and the user experience really matched what people were doing in the workplace, and also coincided with the launch of our new.
Speaker 4: Canber Enterprise package. Which is really.
Speaker 5: A product offering design for large organizations where thousands, tens of thousands of people are using Canber and giving people like CIOs and it teams the tools that they need to.
Speaker 4: Roll out Camber at scale for.
Speaker 5: Multiple teams within their organization, for the thousands of folks that are using it and be able to give each of them a customized experience.
Speaker 4: You know, it's one of these situations where like Canva is like this global startup and you blink and it's grown so quickly, one hundred and eighty five million monthly users. You're hitting like more than two billion dollars in revenue. But I want to go a layer deeper than that. You know, you talk about enterprise. Do you have a clear split in what is basically an individual consumer user base and enterprise base.
Speaker 5: Part of Canva's growth over the last ten years has been a passionate community and they take Canva themselves. From using it in their personal lives or their side hustle, they often take it into their workplace and they'll be one person using it and then spread it through their team. Maybe it's their marketing team, maybe it's their sales team, and it just grows and grows and grows, and we see this rampant growth in so many companies now where we've got Canva used in ninety percent of the Fortune five hundred and in a lot of those places, literally thousands of people using Canva and camera enterprise is away for that company to then consolidate that usage, make sure that all of their IP is on the same platform, that they're all paying through the right channels, and that those teams can work and collaborate with one another.
Speaker 4: Okay, I go on the Canva website. I'm just going to just lay this out from a very simple perspective, and I look at all the things that are offering from docs, social media and video creation projects. You guys are gunning for and taking on Adobe, right, that is what you're trying to do here.
Speaker 5: Ever, since day one, we've identified this whitespace in the market that no one was really looking at. Between productivity and creativity. There's an intersection there that is really interesting and it's obviously resonated with people. We've got one hundred and eighty five million people that use the platform now and we continue to grow like crazy.
Speaker 2: So we've really proved.
Speaker 5: Out this next generation of visual content creation that needs to happen for all types of folks, from marketing to sales, to HR to creatives. And we're continuing to see amazing growth, so people are obviously resonating with what we're putting out.
Speaker 4: Cameron, you are the chief product officer, and we've talked about the redesign, we've talked about the offering, but we're also one of the co founders, so let's talk about what happens next for Canva. You are growing, You're a richly valued startup. Do you go in the IPO direction or Figma was not able to merge with Adobe. Do you look at the M and A direction? Where's your head at?
Speaker 5: We don't have much to share yet on IPO. We actually recently did secondary for our staff and it was one of the most subscribed secondaries in history, which was a real vote of confidence from existing investors who wanted to reinvest, and we also brought on a whole suite.
Speaker 4: Of high profile new investors.
Speaker 5: So we're happy with where we're at at the moment and definitely do not want to acquired by anyone.
Speaker 4: All right, Cameron Adams, you product officer and one of the co founders of canber really appreciate the update. It's been interesting to track your company's growth. Come back and see us soon. I just want to correct something that was part of a discussion we had earlier with Max Chafkin. We were talking about Starship and Starship four. The test is going to happen as soon as June fifth, according to SpaceX. But something Max said. He said that Starship three had not reached orbital velocity. Actually, in that test started three from March, Starship did reach orbital velocity, and so I just want to correct that thing that Max said. But we'll get back to that launch later in June. Coming up on the program. Here's what we're going to be talking about on Bloomberg Technology, a lot of crypto discussion and a lot in the world of startups. Stick with us. This is Bloomberg Technology. Okay, it's time for talking tech and first stop. Source Code Capital is raising one of China's largest VC funds with the target of three hundred million dollars. That's according to sources, who say the fun goal is preliminary and could change. Source Code Capital was one of byte Dance's earliest backers, and if successful, will mark its first major investment vehicle since early twenty twenty one, plus, TikTok is making it easier for content creators to make money, although unofficially announced users have noticed, the threshold to join its Affiliates program dropped from five thousand to just one thousand followers. Affiliates can post videos promoting products sold through the TikTok shop and collect commissions on those sales. The latest move could help bring in users and bolster opposition to a US law that would horse parent company Bike Dance to sell the app or face being banned. And finally, open Ai is releasing past employees from a non disparagement clause that tied together their exit contracts and equity awards. Workers raise concerns after a Vox report last week on the clause that would allow open ai to clawback stock if employees spoke out against the company. OpenAI issued an apology for the contract and says it would remove the language from exit paperwork going forward. And a top story on Bloomberg, Alphabet and Meta have held discussions with major Hollywood studios about licensing content for use in the tech giant's AI video generation software. That's, according to sources, that's bringing Bloomberg's Lucas Shaw, who leads our screen time coverage and broke that story. So that's interesting because these are some sizable deals. We're talking about who's involved and who's involved in the conversation.
Speaker 6: The way to think about it is, there are conversations happening between anyone with you know, a big AI video model, so that's Open AI, with Sora, it's Alphabet, it's Meta and Hollywood companies. Much as you're seeing conversations between you know, the large language models more related to texts than news organizations, you're going to expect to see that on the video side with film and television studios. The differences is that while we've seen some news organizations brokeer deals with AI companies, and we've also seen lawsuits, and on the music side we've also seen some deal making in some lawsuits, the video side is a little less mature at the moment. There are a lot of conversations happening. People describe them as sort of wide ranging and parts of sort of larger business development conversations between some of these big tech companies and big media companies. But you've see media companies show sort of different willingness you know, it seems like Warner Brothers Discovery may be a little more open to doing deals than say a Disney or a Netflix.
Speaker 4: I feel like the AI industry is doing laps of Hollywood right now. Like you report to March, Open AI, we're over in having very similar conversations. Who's kind of got the upper hand? Like is it the sellers of the content that are in a position of power here? Well, it's a.
Speaker 6: Subject of some debate, right You know, on the one hand, you could argue that the people who have the AI models have the upper hand because they tend to believe that using a lot of this stuff.
Speaker 4: Can be fair use.
Speaker 6: And they may just there's some who believe that they've sort of already scraped a lot of information that Hollywood companies have, for example. On the other hand, you know, there is a going there's going to be a big debate over who ultimately controls things that may there may even be a debate between the studio and the talent. Right there's some kerfuffled this week involving Scarlett Johanson and Open AI, And I've seen some credible people argue that right now, the companies like Disney or Warner brother Discovery have a decent amount of leverage because they have something that these companies want, and so they might as well try to extract the most favorable terms, while the AI models are still very nathant and not that powerful.
Speaker 4: Bloomberg's lucas sure with another important piece of reporting on screen time, Thank you. Let's get to another big story in the world of Bloomberg Technology. Into It shares slid by the most in more than a year after the company reported losing one million customers who use its TurboTax service for free, stoking concerns about demand for the software. Joining us. Bloomberg's Brodie Ford in part of the problem here is that a lot of what's on offer you can find somewhere else for free in some cases.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I mean, what's so surprising here is a big part of Into its valuation is this idea that once you use it, it's rare to stop using it because you get all your data in there, it becomes very easy. It'll import previous year's information. I mean, I've certainly used TurboTax the last couple of years because it's very easy.
Speaker 2: See.
Speaker 7: But yeah, seeing one million free users lead that makes investors say, hold up, what's going on at the low end of this market here? And yeah, part of it is that there are other places that you can get this. I mean, one example is that the federal government had a pilot program this year where about one hundred and fifty thousand people used it and they could get a similar service for free.
Speaker 4: I did something highly unusual this year. I was a TurboTax user. I did something that no one's doing. I hired a human being and engage with a human being to do my taxes for me, like the ANTIAI play. The point there is that there are other things into it does, right, It's not just TurboTax. They're trying to be like a one stop shop for financial data or tools. Is that enough to keep them going well?
Speaker 7: That was the total dynamic that we saw in the earnings this year. You were certainly on these results that people liked the high touch, you know, assisted methods that in subways replaces your local tax store. So at the high end of the market that the ed Lovelow's they actually were doing very well. But for people who are saying like A, I don't need this, CPA, I'm not doing this. You know, they're the ones who might have turned over to you know, your tax layers or all these sites that look a little fishy but probably work, you know fairly.
Speaker 4: Well, yeah, I should maybe no comment on the complexity of human versus website taxes. Hey, just real quick. You probably heard a minute ago that we had Cameron from canvar on and just the last thing you said, we don't want to be acquired. Kind of thought that was interesting. What do you make of it?
Speaker 7: Yeah, I mean it's not a total because you think about who would acquire Canva, it would have to be a massive company, probably with some creative overlap, you know, with some pretty small universal companies. What call it, Mike after a Dolby. We saw what happened when Adobi tried to acquire a Figma. They weren't allowed to do it. I would be very, very shocked if some of these M and A lawyers said that they thought they could get a Canva acquisition through with anybody who had the money to buy them.
Speaker 4: Bloomberg's Brady Ford always love having on the program. Happy Friday, Thank you so much. Welcome back to Bloomberg Technology. Ed Ludlow in San Francisco. We're feeling good this Friday. We're ending the week on a high in the equity market, so let's get to the NAZAQ one hundred. The NAZAK one hundred is kind of my go to tech heavy index. It's trading at a record high. But I guess as we end the week, we're also on track for the fifth straight week of gains, which is, wait for it, the longest streak of weekly gains going back to February. So the story this week has very much been about Nvidia propping up the market frankly following its blockbuster earnings. Others moved to the downside. But we had that kind of softer secondary data this morning consumer inflation expectations that made us think that maybe rate cuts will happen at some point this year after all. Who knows. The other big story of the week, of course, is what's happening in the world of crypto markets. I want to go to my dear friend Bloembotionhnali bassek Over in New York, who's going to tell me all about ether.
Speaker 8: Hello, We're going to talk about it ed because of course, it has been a week of whiplash, and let's see how far we've come before. We talk about the implications here on what it would mean for the SEC to formally approve a spot ether et app. If you take a look here, this is bitcoin on the screen, and you do have a trading now over sixty eight thousand. But what did it take to get there? Not only did we have earlier this year the approval of those spot et apps, and remember there was a significant run up into bitcoin into that time. We had tremendous inflows into those et apps after they were launched, and you saw even more of a run up. And remember though in that time we also had the havening where there was more interest in bitcoin, and of course though you still see it kind of plateauing since then, and so you do have to wonder how much has been baked in, how much more will be flowing in Now that the initial exuberance is out of the way, we are trading below the highs of over seventy thousand, closer to seventy four thousand, nearly that we hit back in February, and really leveling off here under that seventy thousand dollars mark. Now, let's flip up the board here, because Ethereum has had similar gains. You've seen it rise actually more on a percentage basis this year so far. Then you've seen a bitcoin. You have seen, of course, almost a sixty three percent rise in ethereum to date, but a very similar trajectory. As you look at this chart at tracks pretty closely and more recently, a lot of excitement into that ethereum, approval of that spot etf into more recent days that have brought you back closer to thirty seven hundred.
Speaker 4: Now I want to talk.
Speaker 8: This little more because this is a lesser known asset to the wider public than say Bitcoin is. Of course bitcoin you think of as digital gold. So then what narrative does ethereum take on and kind of get the same public kind of excitement as Bitcoin had in an etf rapper. Now ethereum as you talk to guests moving forward, it has a lot of use cases. There are a lot of people building on ethereum, but it's more native than bitcoin in the sense that people who are familiar with cryptocurrency will understand ether more closely perhaps and the broader public. So creating that narrative into the ETS is another big question. Flipping up the board one more time here There's another big player that I want to talk about, and that is Coinbase, Because, of course, when it came to Coinbase, this again where bitcoin trading all cryptocurrency assets came to play, a lot of people were worried about what it would mean to have those ETFs for Coinbase. Yet you see coinbases surged ever since, and there are a few reasons for that, one being that people have been active in the cryptocurrency trading markets, another reason being that they have been custodians to a lot of the ETFs that I've launched. But a third reason that I would give you and into the Ethereum ETFs ad that a lot of people are watching closely is Coinbase has this thing that they call Base, and on Base you are building layer twos on ethereum.
Speaker 3: So the use.
Speaker 8: Case for ethereum over the next couple of years can be fascinating. Coupled with that ETF, let's see how it all goes.
Speaker 4: I'm all about the base emotionally, Pasek Happy Friday. Perfect setup joining us now is can be to go to Delta Blockchain Fund general partner and actually I think that was the perfect setup to the perfect guest around this just real quick something that Shnaali said. If bitcoin is the digital gold, then ether is what in your mind digit oil, and that's what's going to oil. Okay, extrapolate, give me more on that.
Speaker 1: So think of it ed like you have goal, which is as a saving currency which you use. But think about how oil is running everything. It was always supposed to be a gas EAT as a gas to run products on top of etherium, and that set up etherium as a technology layer. And if you want to build as you just talked about Base and said you love base, anything which is working on Polygon, working on optimism, building on building on base. Ultimately all those layer two at the end settles on E and on etherium, and then use the currency EAT as the gas price, which is the oil. So it's basically you can create as many cars as possible, you need to have the same fuel, which is ethereum out there.
Speaker 4: There's basically like three things you have to untangle. There's like the live market action or pricing on bitcoin or in this case ether right, and then in the middle is the underlying technology which will debate, and then the third is trying to track the relationship with the two. And I think like when I think about Shanali's chart the lead up to spot bitcoin ETF approval, Bitcoin hit new records right Ethereum, which we're showing right now, has had an astonishing run up in recent days and weeks. It almost caught people by surprise. But I think you would make the point that it hasn't hit its record.
Speaker 9: Yet now now I mean, I mean I have gone on the record at Bloomberg before and have said that I do not expect EDF to be approved this year, and even a week back, if you would have asked me, I would have said, no, I don't think so. I think it has been a very big political push because of the election year, and somewhere you have to say the Republican candidate being so pro crypto have made Democrats to really pay attention to it.
Speaker 1: That's suddenly, out of the blue, we have a very hushed, hushed, unprepared EDF approval. We're still waiting for the trading to happen, but the market expectations in the last two days got built in, but it's not really there. We have not crossed four k eight, all time high prices for four point four so I feel like combination of unexpectations, combination of liquidity crunch in the traditional market. At the end of the day, the trade five because of the global circumstances, high inflation prices, high interest rates. Really there is not much more liquidity. And also the markets didn't close the trade fire. Markets didn't close very well yesterday. So I think the combination of all that stuff has also hit the dampen the liquidity on Ethereum.
Speaker 4: Tavita we right often that the Ethereum blockchain is the most widely commercially used. Why is that important?
Speaker 1: I think it's the developers network, right. You can have multiple companies making the same product, but if one company is very reliable. Ethereum has been one of the first ones. It is actually the first. It has been reliable since then. It hasn't broken. It has got congested once or twice because of NFTs or mean coins, and it has really survived very well and got back. You have the biggest developer community, you have the biggest security, most DeFi protocols which has multi billion dollar asset under management built on Ethereum has not really got hacked. From the Ethereum network side, there could be a whip to crack out there, but not from the Ethereum side. So I think it is more about the trust, and not only the trust based on which is the best network to build, but what has really relied over time to give you the result. And I think that's why Ethereum has continued to prosper. And also the decentralization, which is very people usually don't talk about it, but Ethereum foundation role to stay away, just build the product and let people use it the way they want to use it, which we don't see too much in other layer ones and layer twos is basically an ideal way to go about it.
Speaker 4: Kavita, Goodta, thank you, Happy Friday. Delta Blockchain Fund general partner, and I wonder if that takes off like etherium or ether the digital oil to block Bitcoin's digital gold. We'll see. Let's talk about it on the social media's coming up on the program, We're going to be joined by Zoom founder and CEO Rita Narayan about how she's disrupting the student transportation industry. I was crunching the numbers with Bloomberg's Marguerite Gallerini about the scale of US school district buses. This is one that you don't want to miss everything. Ev next, this is Bloomberg technology. Okay, let's get plugged in. It will be the first all electric bus fleet serving a major US school district starting this coming August, Silicon Valley startup Zoom will provide seventy four electric buses to the Oakland School District, and the buses will also supply two point one gig or hours of electricity to the Bay Area power grid, which is enough energy for around three to four hundred homes. Zoom CEO and founder Richard Narayan joins me here on set. This is a really interesting development. In fact, a lot of our audience will be probably surprised that it's taken to this point to have the first school district or electric fee. Just explain that the deal that you've done with Oakland.
Speaker 10: Thank you Ed for having me. I'm excited to be here. So electric school bus is having a moment right now. Or Clan Unified will be the first major school district in the country to be one hundred person electric and we have enabled this by a few things. First, there is a tremendous support of the grants, including the Clean School Bus Initiative Act and the local level grants that are available in excelerating the energy transition. And the second thing very unique about this is that all seventy four buses are enabled with bi directional charging plugged into our VTOG platform can supply energy back to the grid when these buses are not used for transportation, which is typically in the evenings and summer, which is also a peak demand of energy. So it is pretty amazing. Given the Oakland community is really affected by the poor quality of air and the customer rates, this is a tremendous opportunity.
Speaker 4: We were just looking at the scale of where Zoom operates around the country this morning. The team were also kind of crunching the numbers on how far this still is to go. So when you think about US school districts, I make it that there's about five hundred thousand school buses you know, across the country, and many of them still run on diesel. So if that's true, you've got a long way to go to electrify. How is that pace going to play from here?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 10: Absolutely. Zoom actually today is in fourteen states, serving fourth housing plus school across the country and expanding nationally quite rapidly. So for a fundamental foundation and playbook that we have developed in Oakland using our VTG technology, and the entire playbook for electrifying the buses and working with all the partners in the ecosystem can be now extended and be available to all the other districts. Typically people were doing just one or two pilots or deployments at very low scale. With this kind of a deployment, now their news is very positive for the other districts across the nation.
Speaker 4: Where does the money come from to electrify school fleets?
Speaker 10: So you'll be surprised to know that electric school buses are still two to three times more expensive than the diesel buses, and that is one of the reasons that the adoption has not been so much faster and Zoom has been able to do this deployment at scale because of multiple reasons. One is there are tremendous support available from the federal and state grants that is enabling us to reduce the cost of the buses. And second is electric school bus is actually the largest battery on wheels. It is four to six times Tesla battery with a very predictable local commute pattern, and it's not used for transportation in the peak demand of energy. There's no other asset which has such a unique pattern and this allows us to give energy back to the grid and reduce the price of the bus and brigid at.
Speaker 4: Par with the digital buses. Zoomcier and founder Rattuna Ryan Greats having the show. Thank you, Let's move from buses to drones. Idea Forge Technology is one of India's largest drone companies and is now eyeing US market to listen to this.
Speaker 1: Bunk it.
Speaker 11: Meta is a bit rusty at assembling drones, though he's been doing it for two decades now, first as a young IT engineer and now as the co founder and CEO of Idea Forge Technology, India's largest public listed drone maker. Over two thirds of this drone is made in India, most of it by Meta's company, while some key elements like battery cells, propellers and motors are still important.
Speaker 12: Down from making the autopilot which is the brains of the drone, the entire software, the hardware design, everything is us. We make the ground control software. We make our own payloads, which are the various sensors that are being used for ensuring that the customer can get their intelligence. In terms of outcome or the mapping data, etc.
Speaker 11: In this suburban Mumbai facility, Idea Forward manufactures over three thousand drones a year that it sells mostly to Indian government entities for mapping, surveillance and other defense related work. Government support to the low drone industry includes innovation grants and production incentives. Drone imports are banned and exports are slowly being liberalized in an effort to make India a major commercial and defense drone harp by the year twenty thirty. There is government as marketmaker, therefore one of the largest customers in this business. Without this support, would the Indian drawn industry be able to stand on its own.
Speaker 12: Government as a market maker is not a choice, It is an imperative because for anything to do with governance, security, or monitoring of large assets land, it's all government. What policies will do is unlock certain private sectors and segments even more aggressively, when we look at delivery as a use case, which we have very large private use logistics. Then we look at inspections as a use case that's again a very large private use.
Speaker 11: India's drone market and manufacturers lag far far behind China, Home to Dji, the world's biggest drone company, but nowadays Chinese drones are less welcome in the US, which is the world's largest drone market. Meta was in the US earlier this year scouting to customers.
Speaker 12: So I think it's a great opportunity for you know, companies from India to explore that market opportunity. And I think particularly for US because some of the offerings that we have have adequate differentiated flavor as far as the use cases are concerned, for example, public safety on a daily basis, we are enabling our public safety users who use the systems in a manner that they can effectively manage situations on ground like police and police riots, traffell.
Speaker 11: All of that, both local and export market opportunities need to expand rapidly for India's drawing industry to take off. Ida Forger's laudable making India success offers a run week for the over three hundred drawn companies in the country, from small players supplying hobbyists to large conglomerates like the Irani Group bitching for big defense contracts.
Speaker 4: Memorial Day weekend is upon us here in the United States, and one startup is offering an alternative to traditional vacation, with Daications offering the opportunity to rent out amenities at resorts without having to stay overnight. Joining us as the CEO of Resort Past Michael Wolf, who previously served as the COO of Class Past. And that's an interesting backstory. We'll get to tell me about the size of this market, right, like a digital marketplace for dacations. Yeah, well, thanks for having me ed.
Speaker 13: We enable day access to the luxury hospitality industry, so you're not staying overnight at the hotel, but you can use all the amendees things like pools, cabanas, all the amendis you've always wanted to use, but just for the day. So we've sent over three million people to hotels already and we're just getting started.
Speaker 4: I am a religious membership points guy right at hotel chain specific airlines. A lot of that has interrupturability with my credit card. Do you see those people as competition, No.
Speaker 13: We see them as partners. We actually already work with some of the top major credit card companies, and we're speaking to a lot of our hotel partners about integrating into their loyalty programs. So we work with all of the top hotels. We just announced a large partnership with Hilton, the second largest hospitality company in the world. We work with Ritz, Carlton, Marriott, higat all of the major flags and we are spanning those relationships every single day.
Speaker 4: Explain the technology to me, how are you booking sales or revenue in each transaction?
Speaker 13: Yeah, so we are both the consumer app and website that you go to to find these incredible local dacation experiences. But we're also the entire B to B technology stack. So when you go check in, let's say at the Ritz Carlton and Bell Harbor, they're using our technology to check you in set inventory, set pricing, look at competitive data. We've invented the entire category from the consumer side all the way to the business side.
Speaker 4: Let's take Memorial Day as an example. Of course, Memorial Day in the US honoring our full in men and women of the Arms services. But when you have a holiday weekend like this, is there a big spike for you on the app and the website. Yeah. Absolutely.
Speaker 13: People want to experience local luxury without traveling. So right now, for example, this summer, we're expecting three times as many people to want to travel within one hundred miles then internationally, so our business absolutely spikes on weekends like Memorial Day and July fourth, where we'll send tens and tens of thousands of people to over fifteen hundred local hotels.
Speaker 4: Michael, if there is a fancy resort or hotel out there that's skeptical they don't want to do business with you, tell them why they should. Tell them why the dacation really works. Yeah.
Speaker 13: The reason why it works is that they're already allowing guests from the local community into their hotels every single day. They might be at their bar, or at their restaurant, or maybe even their spa, and this is no different. It's just monetizing another piece of the hotel. It's really around the revenue maximization and yield management that hotels are so smart about in their room product, but they've never done it in the rest of the spaces of the hotel and resort pass enables them to generate that anslayer revenue and this is why we've been able to work with truly the top luxury flags in the world like Four Seasons, Rich Carlton, Obert's Fairmont, and we're just getting started.
Speaker 4: Michael Wolf fasult Pass CEO the dacation. It's a new one. Have a great Memorial Day. Thank you for joining us here the program that does it. For this edition of Bloomberg Technology, It's been a pretty astonishing week in video was the mainstay of that week, but we continued a lot more to check out, a lot more to recap. Really grateful to all of you that are listening to the podcast on a daily basis and so many of you giving great feedback about it too. Find it on Apple, Spotify, iHeart, and of course on all the Bloomberg platforms. For the final time this week from San Francisco, this is Bloomberg Technology.